Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. This is your wake up call for Thursday, June fifth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. So glad you're with us today. I have a little extra pep in my step. I don't know why. Maybe maybe I slept good last night or something, or maybe I'm just happy to be here and the birds are and the birds, you know, the birds. Yeah, I'm starting to get worried. Okay, we're talking about the eagles again. Up in Big Bear. I'm worried the Gizmo is not going to leave the nest because Sonny has come back. The older of the two took off, but now she's come back and she's just hanging out. And maybe Gizmo doesn't think that she needs to go.
Speaker 4: This most seems like a homebody.
Speaker 1: She does, and she's adorable. But I didn't I watched them yesterday because, as you know, my obsession with the Eagles. I'm gonna have to join EA when this is all over. Eagles anonymous, But I didn't notice that they were flapping a lot yesterday and Sonny didn't leave the nest. She's like, hey, yeah, I've done it. I flew. I'm done, Mom, bring me a fish. We'll keep watching them. It's interesting to me too, that like more people are watching now than when they hatched. There was like eighty thousand yesterday, and that's just at any given time on the Utah Channel. You can watch it on Friends of Big Bear Valley website. They've got a link to it there. National Catchup Day is today. I don't know what that means, but maybe it means that I got to go get some fries. Yeah, all right, here's what's ahead on wake up Call. A man from Seattle's been charged in connection with the bombing at a fertility clinic in Palm Springs. Prosecutors say thirty two year old Daniel Parks supplied two hundred and seventy pounds of ammonium nitrate used in the explosion that killed the bomber and injured four others. A fifteen year old boy has been killed in a crash in the parking lot of a High School in Studio City. The LAPD says it looks like the boy was passing between two vehicles and got pinned between them. It happened yesterday afternoon as students were being picked up after school. Police say the boy's father was there to pick him up and saw the whole thing. You may see smoke rising over a diamond bar. For the next couple of days. La County Fire cal Fire and the Orange County Fire Authority are doing a prescribed burn in Tanner Canyon today and tomorrow to reduce wildfire risk and improve the health of the ecosystem. A rift continues between Elon Musk and President Trump actually continues to build. Musk is railing on the big beautiful bill now. He says he just wants it thrown out and wants a new one. Obviously, Trump doesn't think that We're going to talk with ABC's Karen Travers about all this in just about three minutes, warning labels on snap foods they're coming in at least one state, and ABC's Jim Ryan is going to join us at five point twenty to tell us whether they'll be coming to a snack food or soda can near you too. President Trump says foreign students are no longer welcome to come to the US to go to Harvard. ABC's Peter Haralumbus joins us with the latest between the President and the Ivy League university. All right, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Trump administration has ended nearly four billion dollars in federal funding for California's high speed rail project.
Speaker 4: I command the US Department of Transportation for taking action.
Speaker 5: The Department of Transportation blames mismanagement, miss deadlines, and cost overruns as the reason for cutting funding. This is the latest and a series of problems for the project that was sold to voters as a bullet train between San Francisco and La Republican Senator Tony Strickland says the project is a failure and the state should save taxpayer money.
Speaker 6: Let's stop wasting California's heart earned taxpayer dollars and put that money towards better use for all Californians.
Speaker 5: The California High Speed Rail Authority disputes the findings and has thirty seven days to respond.
Speaker 1: Heatherbrooker KFI News. LA Mayor Bass has met with the shipping industry leaders at the Port of Los Angeles to hear their concerns about import Texas.
Speaker 7: Mayor Bass convened a roundtable meeting at the Port of Los Angeles to discuss the impacts of mass tariffs on goods from other countries. Officials say the tariffs have already impacted businesses at local ports. Port of LA Executive Director Jean Soroka said the number of ships at port per week has dropped from ten to twelve to about five ships in the last seven days. He also said the difference in business has been noticeable in the last couple of months. Mayor Bass warned that Angelinos may not realize the impact yet, but says it's coming. Eileen Gonzalez Ky IFI News.
Speaker 1: The City of San Diego's ban on yoga classes in public parks and beaches has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal says yoga classes held in public places are protected by the First Amendment. Who knew Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers, so, Karen looks like a riffed building. Between Elon Musk and President Trump is Musk continues to rail on the big beautiful bill. Now he says he just said it should just be tossed out and started over.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean he's saying kill the bill.
Speaker 9: That's what he wrote on X yesterday, his social media platform where he has, you know, hundreds of millions of followers. He is trying to tank the president's signature.
Speaker 8: Budget bill, his tax policy bill, which.
Speaker 9: Musk is calling a disgusting abomination. He's ramping up pressure on lawmakers, but he's also telling Americans, call your senator, call your congressman. Bankrupting America is not okay.
Speaker 8: Kill the bill. This is a really.
Speaker 9: Significant issue for the White House right now. You know, is it going to change minds on Capitol Hill?
Speaker 8: We'll see.
Speaker 9: But it's not helpful to have somebody who was once such a part of the inner circle. I mean literally, just a week ago, somebody who spent more than two hundred and seventy million dollars to help get the President and Republicans elected now on the outside not just you know, grumbling slightly about this piece of legislation, but actively saying it should not pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interesting that there's been such a one to eighty and like you said, it's not that just there's rumblings. I mean, it's no. This thing sucks, It needs to be gone and you need to start over. Is the President saying anything about it yet about must response.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not yet, And that's notable. We haven't had a chance to ask the President questions over.
Speaker 8: The last three days.
Speaker 9: That will change today when you sit down in the Oble Office with the Chancellor of Germany. I can think that the group that goes in there in the Oble Office, this is going to be at the top of their list.
Speaker 8: To see his reaction to all of this.
Speaker 9: The White House has brushed it off, as you know, okay, it's not a news that he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Like this bill.
Speaker 8: But you know, that's one thing to not like the bill.
Speaker 9: It's another thing to actively try to tank the legislation that the administration has made the priority.
Speaker 8: For them right now. That is significant week.
Speaker 9: I was in the obl Office on Friday when President Trump had his goodbye ceremony for Elon Musk.
Speaker 8: I asked both of them about this.
Speaker 9: Must notably didn't weigh in with the President's sitting right next to him about his criticisms of the bill, even though he'd already started talking about that in interviews last week, but again, this is a significant ramping up of that, from just criticizing the bill to now saying it can't pass.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's it's pretty unusual for Trump to stay silent about something like this because usually if somebody, you know, punches, he counter punches. And I'm like, why not, maybe because it's not he's not saying President Trump screwed up. He's saying that the bill is bad and not. I mean, it's just it's an interesting.
Speaker 8: Dynamic, and it's President Trump's bill.
Speaker 9: This is like, you know, Congress is doing this in a vacuum. This is exactly what President Trump campaigned on. It's what he wants. It was interesting to see last week, after Elon Musk first criticized the bill, the President then said, well, there's some things I didn't like about the House version either, and now the Senate starts making change and then they'll send it back over the House.
Speaker 8: But you know, it is still his legislation.
Speaker 9: This is what he wants, it's what his advisors are pushing lawmakers to move forward on. And ultimately, you know, this is the administration's agenda. But I think in some ways maybe he's holding back given the significance of who Elon Musk is. And again that's the question for the president today, why haven't you pushed back on what he is saying when he is trying to tank your bill.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to be in the room, and we know our John Decker is going to be.
Speaker 9: Oh you're not not today, not my turn today.
Speaker 8: I was there Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think kfi's John Decker is going to be there, so hopefully he'll get a chance up to ask him. ABC's Karen Travis, thanks so much for the information. As always, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thanks right you too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A. President Trump has announced a travel ban and restrictions on a dozen countries. Most are in the Mid East and Africa. Trump said yesterday the restrictions are part of a cracked on what he claims are an influx of attacks carried out by foreigners.
Speaker 10: The recent terror attack in Boulder, Colorado has underscored the extreme dangers posed to our country by the entry of foreign nationals who are not properly vetted, as well as those who come here as temporary visitors and overstay their visas.
Speaker 11: We don't want them.
Speaker 1: Trump's first travel band was issued in twenty seventeen and ban traveled to the US by citizens of seven and predominantly Muslim countries. That order was reworked and upheld by the Supreme Court in twenty eighteen. A federal judge has blocked the deportation of the family of the man accused of throwing molotov cocktails at pro Israeli demonstrators in Colorado. The district judge said removing the family without due process could cause irreparable harm. The family of Mohammed Solomon has sued to stay in the US. Solomon says his family didn't know he was planning the attack. At least five people have been killed in a Russian drone strike on a city in northern Ukraine. A regional governors's six drones hit residential areas of Priluki early this morning, causing severe damage to residential buildings. Hours later, seventeen people were hurt in a Russian drone strike in the city of Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. Israel says the bodies of two Israeli American hostages taken during the Hamas attack in twenty twenty three have now been recovered. ABC S Jordana Miller says the Israeli Army launched a special opsmission overnight.
Speaker 12: Israeli special forces finding the bodies of Judy Weinstein and Gadhi Hagai, a married couple in their seventies, inkanyunis. The IDF had previously determined terrorists aligned with Hamas killed the Americans on Near O's and stole their bodies.
Speaker 1: SAMAS is still holding fifty six hostages. Israel says it believes only about a third of them are still alive. If we're stuck with chatbots, legislators want two child proofs.
Speaker 4: California lawmakers are advancing new rules to improve the safety of companionship chatbots, especially for children. A bill passed by the state Senate mandates companies from mind users every three hours that these chatbots are not real and may not be suitable for all miners. They must also have protocols for handling discussions on suicide or self harm and track how often those topics arise. The legislation target's social interaction chatbots excluding those used for customer service. The bill now heads to the Assembly. Mark Ronner, actual human KFI News.
Speaker 1: Yes, Mark Ronnin a runner, actual human and a pretty decent guy too. Guess what It's time to party? And who doesn't love a good party. Disney sure knows how to throw one. It's the Disneyland Resort's seventieth celebration going now at the park. KFI AM six forty wants to give you a chance to win a family four pack of one day, one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park. To join this limited time event, keep listening to wake Up Call and all of KFI for your chance to celebrate with us. Offerings subject to restrictions and change without notice. Yes, that means we have tickets to Disneyland or the Disney California Adventure Park coming up right here on a wake up Call, so keep it tuned here. A federal judge in San Francisco's thrown out a lawsuit filed by the state of California against President Trump's tariffs. The judge says the case is not in the right jurisdiction. Governor Newsom and Attorney General Bonta had argued the tariffs were unconstitutional. Newsom and Bonta can appeal. California's high speed rail project has hit another hurdle. A Department of Transportation audit of the seventeen year old project has revealed that it's failing to meet federal funding requirements for its grant awards. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says the High Speed Rail Authority now has a month to respond or it could lose four billion dollars in federal funding. California's launched a Honeybee Health program to fight the decline in honeybee populations. The initiative will fund research, promote bee friendly practices for bee keepers and farmers, and also provide grants to tribes and schools and nonprofits. They say that dyeing a honey bees threatened food security because pollination is essential for more than one hundred crops in California. I'll just go on the record, I love bees. Moe Kelly can't stand them. He's scared, scared they do hurt it.
Speaker 3: Well, they don't.
Speaker 1: I went out to a bee farm and I didn't get stung once. It's how you react to them too.
Speaker 4: True so I'm always on a bicycle and moving and it hurts you can't stop.
Speaker 1: Suddenly, you know, it's like, oh, that's true. Well, anyway, we support bees here on Wake Up Call, let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. I bet the honey wouldn't have a warning label on it, but some snack foods.
Speaker 13: Oh you know what honey does. Honey does give it to babies under one year or two years. You're not supposed to give it to the little kids.
Speaker 1: Oh but that's not that's not the snack food warnings we're talking about right now. No, okay, let's talk about those.
Speaker 13: These relate to chemicals, colorings, food additives that we find in things sodium aluminium sulfate for example, sterile tar trait, things that you've never heard of. And you know that's kind of been the rule of thumb for some time. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't eat it. So the Texas legislature what it did was to pass this thing unanimously. By the way, this provision, it's it's a wide ranging health provision called make Texas Healthy Again. That sound familiar, and one provision would require these warning labels that say it contains ingredients quote not recommended for human consumption.
Speaker 1: That's kind of si.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but the alternative, I mean that that's the compromise. There were folks who said, let's just leave it alone, forget about it. Then there were those who are saying, we need to ban these things in food products here in Texas and somewhere in the middle they met and said, now, let's just put a warning label on it for now and see what happened. So, additives in some snack foods, the Rito's for example, some soft drinks, some candies, they could all be subject to these warning labels in Texas. And you know what if that happens here, amy, it's likely to happen elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because you won't end up printing labels that are different if for every state.
Speaker 13: Right right, So when you get a big state like Texas or California or New York Florida. You know, it's like textbooks. These big states kind of govern how textbooks are because the publishers want to put out just one version and spread it across the country. The same holds true for the food manufacturers. They just want to print one package, one label, and ship that out nationwide to save money.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then here's my question. As additives and guys and that kind of thing are pulled off of this, you know, taken out of the snack foods, as is supposed to happen, will those warning labels be able to come off?
Speaker 6: Probably?
Speaker 13: I would think they would. Even bleached flower is all on this list here, stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that not not good for human consumption, right, wow, Right, So it's not only snack foods, it's like lots of foods.
Speaker 13: But but you know, you'd find bleach flower in a lot of different things. Breakfast cereals, for example, they.
Speaker 1: Find it in a in a bag of bleached flower too.
Speaker 13: Well, that's true. And if this all kind of rings, you know, familiar, it's because and some of the folks who voted for this said they got calls of support, phone calls of support from Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior. So he's standing behind this. And I suspect that they'll use Texas as kind of the proven ground to see if this could hold in other states too.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 13: The food manufacturers, by the way, say the stuff they put in their food, the additives, the flavorings, the colors are safe safe for human consumption. But and you know, they're they're kind of pushing back on this.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that's sort of interesting to me or makes me curious about is there right now they're just going to put the warning label on, but like, are they going to maybe expand it and show pictures of like morbidly obese people or diseased hearts or something, you know, like they do with cigarettes in the euroc Yeah, they show like we were we were just over there and they had like they'd show like a disease lung or a clogged artery. I mean then like pictures of it and people who've had like their faces cut off, and like, I mean, it was just it's crazy. How and everybody over in Europe smokes, so obviously the warning labels don't work.
Speaker 13: But yeah, if it was meant as a deterrent, it probably didn't work there. Somehow it worked here, you know, warning labels and super high taxes and that I think that's probably what they lack in Europe, is the super high taxes on cigarettes and tobacco products, And that's why they're still out there and popular being bought smoked and used.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So when are these warning labels going to start showing up.
Speaker 13: Well, first, the Governor's going to have to sign it, and he undoubtedly will. I mean, the Republican controlled Senate has approved it. The House already passed it here in Texas and sent it on to the governor for his signature. He undoubtedly will sign it. You know, he wants to stay in good with the Trump administration and with RFK Junior, and so he'll sign it. So it could be September. I think September is when this would take effect, if in fact it does.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be watching for it. ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks so much, thank you. We should put a warning label on wake up call, be careful. It's all kindness and fun, how about that? Okay? Yeah, and talk of eagles, how are those eagles doing? Oh, they're up. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Teen year old boy who got pinned between two cars in the parking lot of Campbell High School and Studio City has died at the hospital. LAPD Lieutenant Matt Bielski says the collision happened yesterday afternoon as cars lined up to pick up students after school. The teen was apparently trying to pass between two of the vehicles.
Speaker 14: At this time, since it was determined to be an accident, there won't be any citations given, as you can understand, it's an unfortunately for both families.
Speaker 1: The boy's father witnessed the crash. School officials say they are heartbroken and that there will be no classes or final exams today. Counselors are going to be available later this morning to talk to students. A man who survived a machete attack in downtown La says he had just walked home from work when he was attacked. Kyle Levitt tells KTLA he was trying to unlock his building's door early Sunday when a man ran up behind him and he felt a blow to his head.
Speaker 2: I'd put my arms up to say stop, and then that's when he had hit me again.
Speaker 1: It was also hit on his right wrist.
Speaker 2: My tendons were cut completely down to the bone, my artery was cut.
Speaker 1: He needed surgery to save his hand. He says his attacker never spoke, but had what he said were crazy eyes. The guy was arrested. Billy say another man attacked moments before Levitt was killed. Eight pounds of meth has been seized at the US Mexico border in San Diego. Border Patrol agents say three vehicles spotted by agents on Monday night were carrying sixty bundles of drugs. They were on their way to motels in Santy Cidro and Chula Vista. The estimated street value of the meth around six million dollars. Dairy workers in several states, including California, have voted to authorize a strike overstalled contract talks with dairy farmers. They say they want better pay, benefits, and workplace safety. The unions's strike of more than a thousand workers could disrupt the apply chain. One worker says they know how much dairy farmers make and they want their fair share. The Marine Mammal Care Center is declared the end of a toxic algae bloom that has sickened and killed animals up and down the southern California coast.
Speaker 15: Officials with the center also released four recovered sea lion perhaps back into the ocean on Wednesday. The algae bloom, which caused demoic acid poisoning devastated marine life for fourteen weeks. Earlier this year, Marine Mammal Care Center CEO John Warner says it was the longest lasting toxic algae bloom on record. The one in twenty twenty three lasted eight and a half weeks. Mark Mayfield Kofi News.
Speaker 1: Did you see that they released a like one hundred and six I think they've saved one hundred and sixty of the sea lions who got sick, and they released some of them on Venice Beach yesterday. Yeah. They were very cute, man, They're very happy to be headed home. Yeah, diving around in the water like whoo, We're free. With another hot, dry summer predicted, the San Bernardino City Councils considering a ban on all fireworks ahead of the fourth of July. Council members discussed it yesterday and said even safe and sane fireworks can be dangerous. Burglars with a blow torch have wiped out a jewelry store in Encino. Police say this burglary is similar to several others recently in the Southland. The burglars got in through the wall of a vacant store next to the Encino Jewelry Mark early Monday morning and got into the safe using a blow torch, which they cleaned out. Police say they spent about three hours inside the jewelry store. The Autopia ride at Disneyland had to shut down yesterday. Get this. One of the cars jumped the track and crashed up an embankment into Maorwland. I don't know how that happens. They've got those guides, yeah, that like keep them on the and they don't go very fast, so it's not like you could, you know, get a running start and floor it and jump over the track. So something obviously broke. At six oh five, handle on the news, President Trump is issued a new travel band to people from like twenty countries who are trying to get into the US. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A warning for freshwater fish eaters. A study published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases says more than ninety percent of popular freshwater fish in southern California, like largemouth bass and bluegill, carry parasites that can make people sick and, in rare cases, can cause strokes or heart attacks. The FDA advises to cook fish thoroughly or if eating raw freeze at first freezing apparently kills parasites. The Torrents PTA is asking for help for a fourth grader detained by ice Martyr.
Speaker 5: Garcia Lara is a student at Torrens Elementary School. On May twenty ninth, he attended an immigration hearing in Houston, Texas with his father, but instead of getting an update on his father's immigration status, a boy and his father were separated and detained.
Speaker 16: By himself, without his dad, without a parent, and just in a place that he probably doesn't know.
Speaker 5: HETA President Jasmin King told KYLA that they have reached out to federal, state, and local leaders for help, and they're asking other parents in the community to help in any way they can. Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: President Trump has directed the Justice Department to investigate the actions of former President Biden, saying aids masked his cognitive decline. Trump has also raised questions about the use of the auto pen designed pardons and other documents. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says Biden calls the suggestions ridiculous and.
Speaker 17: False, Biden calling Trump's order nothing more than a mere distraction, saying I made the decisions during my presidency. I made the decisions about the pardons, executive orders, legislation, and proclamations.
Speaker 1: Trump's memmo says the American public was purposefully shielded from discovering who wielded the executive power, all while Biden's signature was deployed across thousands of documents to affect radical policy shifts. Amazon plans to invest a lot of money for a new data center and AI campus.
Speaker 18: Amazon is expanding its cloud computing, infrastructure and artificial intelligence activity in North Carolina. The company said yesterday it intends to invest ten billion dollars toward building a campus in Richmond County. The company says this will be good for the region where textile and apparel jobs dried up a generation ago. Amazon said its investment should create at least five hundred jobs and support thousands more through construction and data center supply chain providers depor Mark Koffi News.
Speaker 1: A rehabilitated sea turtle named Dilly Dally has been returned to the Atlantic Ocean after having one of her flippers amputated. The turtle was taken to Loggerhead Marine Life Center in Juneo Beach, Florida back in January, suffering from predator wounds to the front flipper. A tracking device has been attached to Dilly Dally Shell so the Center and the public can follow her journey now that she's back at sea. Angel City FC is hosting the Chicago Stars this Saturday at Bemo Stadium. It's Prignite all fans who go get an Angel City Pride bandana. You can get your tickets now at Angelcity dot com and listen to all the games on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword angel City FC. Okay, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Denise Pellegrini, who's in for Courtney today morning.
Speaker 3: Denise, Good morning. I want to start by talking about cars, because the RAM is getting its Hemi back, bringing back the Hemi V eight engine for truck fans who like more horsepower. It's all part of an effort to claw back lost share in the highly competitive truck market. Amy under Stillenta's previous CEO, RAM drop the Hemi engine from its twenty twenty five model and they put up that more fuel efficient turbo six cylinder engine called the Hurricane again. But I guess a lot of people weren't too happy with that. Now they're bringing this HEMI V eight back. It's a real gas guzzler. It makes a lot of noise, and it'll be back on dealer lots in just a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: They say, oh that fast. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean they really are hoping to kind of pick up the people that they may have alienated by trying to get more efficient. I mean, people like not spending a lot on gas, but then they like having these peak engines. So what are you going to do? And another car story I wanted to touch to, well, not exactly a car story, but Amazon is reportedly developing software for humanoid robots that could eventually take the job of delivery workers. And the thing about this is the information says Amazon is actually putting finishing touches on a humanoid park. Okay, this is an indoor obstacle course at one of Amazon's San Francisco offices to test the technology. I was thinking about this. It's not easy, right for a delivery person, right always to get to your door. They've got to get to the right place, the right package. They have to make sure the dog doesn't bite them, you know, all this stuff and that they don't break anything when they go in and a there's a lot that goes into getting that package delivered, and they're trying to make sure that their robots can do this because the idea is these humanoid robots will be able to ride in the back of an Amazon Electric Rivian van and then jump out to deliver us packages. So you might see that sometime, you know, in the near future.
Speaker 1: And the cool thing for the robots is that dog bites really aren't an issue.
Speaker 3: The dog bites aren't an issue, but if they walk through your fence, it might be an issue for the homeowners. That is true. And I don't know they.
Speaker 1: Don't like do you answer the door when a robot comes to knocking?
Speaker 11: I know you.
Speaker 3: You let your robot camera communicate with them without you having to do anything, right, You just pre program your robot camera at your door to say thank you, and as soon as they go away, then you come out of hiding and you go grab your package.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's talk about luxury hotels. There's a new class of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know how it is when you get off a late night planed right, and you kind of wish you could just take a shower and it even really like go to sleep someplace really nice though, right there at the airport, and you're just like, oh, it's eleven o'clock. I've just arrived, Or you might be thinking, oh, I have this flight at six am, so I have to get up at two. But if only I could like just wake up at the airport. But who wants to sleep there right in the sleeping bag on a chair. Well, now, affluent vacationers and business travelers are paying the big bucks to stay at luxury hotels and airports just before or after their flights, according to the Wall Street Journal, And the one they really point to is the old Grand Hiat. It's actually inside Terminal D at Dallas Fort Wortz Airport, and it's now getting this major, major makeover. I think they're spending something like thirty four million dollars on this upgrade for this airport hotel to tap into this rising twin I'm in all right.
Speaker 1: Well, I would imagine it's going to have a luxury price tag too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, five hundred dollars minimum for one of these five.
Speaker 1: Hundred bucks for a shower. Ladies and gentlemen, all right, What are we expecting on the markets today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, stock futures are higher. We did get this report out on a jobless claims to the weekly claims, and they did come in a little bit stronger than expected. These are the unemployment claims, right, But that's in the perverse world of All Street. That's not actually bad news because investors think that the job market is weakening, then maybe the Feddle cut interest rates right, and so Dow futures are up about seventeen not a lot. S ANDT futures up to NASDAK up three. But we are setting up for a positive openness Thursday.
Speaker 1: Me. That's always happy news. Bloomberg's Denise Pelgren and getting in your business. Thanks so much, Denise, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Pleasure.
Speaker 1: Jilly County Sheriff's departments looking for the guy who carjacked one of its vehicles. Two deputies were in the back of a work truck yesterday morning near the courthouse in downtown LA when a man hopped in the driver's seat and took off. The deputies were able to jump out when the truck slowed down. The truck was later found in Guardina. Gas prices are expected to spite up to sixty five cents a gallon starting next month. Yep, it's almost here. A bill to repeal the hike in the gas tax has failed in the state Senate. San Diego State Senator Brian Jones says Senate Bill two would have reversed the new fuel regulations that are fueling the high prices. They say it was voted or He says it was voted down by majority Democrats. Jones says the closure of two refineries in California over the next few months could drive prices even higher. A new long California is going to address a teacher shortage by providing funding to schools to pay future teachers. The legislation also encourages applicants from lower income backgrounds. A cow Matters report says about twenty eight thousand teachers do a year of training for free to get their teaching certificates, and because they have to work for free, it causes a lot of students to walk away from the program. We're just minutes away from handle. In the news this morning, a judge has blocked the deportation of the family of the man who attacked pro Israeli demonstrators in bolded, Colorado is going to have something to say about that. Right now, let's check in with ABC's Peter Hara Lamboo's Peter. The latest in a long string of orders from President bar bar Our President Trump bars foreign students from coming to the US to go to Harvard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 11: More bad luck for Harvard here, as this battle between the White House and the country's oldest college and university escalates overnight. Trump is now borrowing the United States from allowing foreigners to enter the country to go to Harvard. This comes just two weeks after the Trump administration tried to revoke the school's ability to enroll international students. That was ruled and lawful, But now Trump is using a different law to try to block foreign students. We'll see how this fair is in the courts, but one thing's clear. The Trump administration is still trying to find different ways to probe Harvard to make life more difficult for him.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Peter, then my question for you is is this order that bars the students from coming into the US to go to Harvard is that separate from the one that he the proclamation or order that he did yesterday that basically bans travel from people from like twenty countries.
Speaker 11: So they both rely on a similar law, the i NA, and though they are different in terms of this scope. Right, So those twelve orders, those twelve countries are blocked pretty unilaterally from entering the country's citizens from those countries, whereas the Trump decision pretty much blocks anyone regardless of what country you're coming from, insofar as you're not a US that is in the canon, into the United States for the purposes of studying at Harvard.
Speaker 1: Okay, And did you say this was an executive order or this is just another order that he's trying to, like you said, trying to go and kind of get to the same result a different way.
Speaker 11: So this was a proclamation, so it was kind of similar to an executive order. He's doing it unilaterally, pretty much just declaring that he's directing the Secretary of State to execute this change lawful. Less will have to see. I assume we're going to see some action from Harvard challenging this in the courts. But it's a different law than what was used a few weeks ago, and what was blocked is unlawful by federal judge in.
Speaker 1: Boston Okay, so we'll be watching that, and I agree with you. I would imagine there's going to be immediate legal action taken against this one.
Speaker 11: Uh, and then we'll have to see yeah.
Speaker 1: And then let's move over because you're also following the Didy trial in New York and testimony continued yesterday. And as far as being a really bad guy, things do not look good for Sean Combs. But are they establishing the racketeering and the sex trafficking or are they just showing that he's an awful person.
Speaker 11: So they're certainly prove showing that he's an awful person. I think that's undoubted. Sean de Combs is not going to be made a saint anytime soon. But when it comes to the racketeering, and that's more of a process. I think yesterday we saw a testimony from a witness who more so goes to the idea that he's not a good person than the racketeering that Combs basically dangled her off a balcony of the seventeenth floor building and threatened her. Though that doesn't really fall into one of the predicate crimes under the racketeering Statute, we have seen other witnesses, though, talk about these underlying crimes that go to form or to prove racketeering. We heard about Combs's former assistant saying that she was kidnapped at gunpoint basically and asked to confront kid Cutty with Combs. We heard from another witness who says that they bought drugs for Combs. We heard from other witnesses who allegedly said that they were sex trafficked by poms. These are other predicate crimes. At the end of the day, all it takes in this jury to convict Shron Combs of racketeering conspiracy is believing that he worked with one other person, at least one other person to commit two underlying crimes. That's all it takes. And at this point, the prosecution believed that he's committed about six or seven different predicate crimes. So the jury has a lot to choose from.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's coming next? Are they back in in session today?
Speaker 11: Yeah, consession today at late start at eleven am here on the East Coast, and we're expecting to hear some of most dramatic testimony today. They're going to be calling a woman named Jane that's a pseudonym. She's the third and final victims of testifying this case. Prosecutors alleged that she's a single mother who became romantically involved with Combs, and that she was sex trafficked by Coombs as recently as last year. We also expect to hear a little bit about what prosecutors say was witness tampering, where Combs basically pressured her to say that their sexual encounters were consensual after investigators began looking into them.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, ABC's Peter Harrlumbus, thank you so much for the update on both of these very fascinating cases.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Any all right, Peter always has such good good stuff, and he likes he's a long guy. He loves her cool last name harlem Bus. Yeah, it's just cool. Yeah, it took me like six months to say it, right, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A brush fire along the five Freeway through the Grapevine has burned more than one hundred and thirty acres, and as well has been telling you it is affecting traffic. Air tankers and helicopters have been doing water drops on the fire. It's five percent surrounded and evacuation warning has been issued for parts of Lebeck and that you can see that big plume of smoke as you travel through the area. The White House has announced they'll be pulling four billion dollars in federal funding for California's high speed rail project. Republican Senator Tony Strickland says the project is a complete failure and is urging his colleagues to just scrap the whole project.
Speaker 6: This project does proposed, it is supposed to be died in twenty twenty at thirty three billion dollars. Well, we've already set over that amount. We haven't laid down one track. It's now spiraled out of control to one hundred and twenty eight billion dollars, and it's only going to go from Merced to Bakersfield.
Speaker 1: Strickland says the skyrocketing costs and the lack of transparency around the mismanagement of the project continues to erode the public's trust. That four billion dollars in federal grants is technically still on the table. The White House has threatened to pull it, but the High Speed Rail Authority has just over a month to respond to see if they can continue the funding. LA Mayor Bass has met with leaders at the Port of Los Angeles about the impacts of President Trump's tariffs. The group agreed that the unpredictable nature of the President's policies make it difficult to create short term forecasts. Despite the tariffs, the port has experienced ten straight months of year over year growth at the port. A federal judge has blocked the deportation of the wife and five children of the man in Boulder, Colorado, charged with attacking Jewish people with homemade firebombs.
Speaker 16: The judge saying federal authorities shall not remove the family members unless he or the Tenth US Circuit Court of Appeals vacates order. The family had filed a lawsuit to prevent being deported.
Speaker 1: ABC's Alex Stones his Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noum, had said the family was in the process of being removed from the US. Officials say the Egyptian man was charged in Sunday's attack, he overstayed a visa and is in the country illegally. They probably won't call it be best.
Speaker 4: California is launching a honeybee health program to combat rising honeybee deaths. The initiative will fund research, promote be friendly practices for beekeepers and farmers, and provide grants to tribes, schools, and nonprofits. Honeybees are essential for pollinating over one hundred crops and supporting the economy. Researchers say their declining populations are due to climate change, habitat loss, and disease. They say dying honeybees threatened food security. Mark Ronner, KFI News.
Speaker 1: Country music fans still have a chance to see some of the biggest stars in the business in person in Nashville this weekend. CMA Fest is happening from June fifth through the eighth, featuring artists like Keith Urban, Kelsey Ballerini, Jason Alden, Blake Shelton, and Rascal Flats. I've been to cmafest is a bartie, so if you have some extra money, guess what tickets are still available. This is KFI and KOST h D two, Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call and if you missed any of today's wake Up Call, You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app