Speaker 1: Make his mom and dad disappointed. What are you saying, I'm just he does he doesn't. I thought you're looking at me when you said that. No, no, we already know you did. Just making sure.
Speaker 2: Turned off breaking news.
Speaker 3: Arizona women's soccer got the win yesterday versus UCF.
Speaker 2: Wasn't at UCF.
Speaker 3: They had to relocate it because of all the hurricanes hidden Florida or.
Speaker 1: They relocated, dude, like Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Houston, Texas.
Speaker 3: Houston, Houston, Texas three to two win against the Golden Knights. They are now nine three and two on the season, looking for a NCAA bid.
Speaker 1: Soccer Yeah, oh wow, okay, yeah, yeah, you know her No but no, but we worked those events and we've never had to and now they're getting bigger and bigger. Oh are they really nice? You know what they do? Just win, baby, you crowd. It's a cool place to go see a soccer match too, if you go right there off of Tucson Blah blah blah and Plumber and Plumber in fifteenth Street. Yeah, it's a cool little place. So I highly recommend getting out there and supporting those ladies. Yeah great, great, great, great environment.
Speaker 3: Uh to the w n B a last Night game one of the w NBA Finals, big upset in my opinion, I thought the Liberty were going to pull away with it.
Speaker 1: Uh the big lead late and they kind of grew I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but uh, like you said, missed one free throw could have won. It went to overtime and the Links ran out of it game one.
Speaker 1: I think it was the largest deficit overcome by that team that the Yeah, these are the times that test your forty two. Tell you what, son, you can't give up, you can't let up. I don't remember in your senior year, in your senior year, Final Nights four, senior year, what was the game. I can't remember a game where you guys were really outside of the Arkansas game, that you were really down and you had to come back. I don't remember that. No, I don't think there ever was. But you know what the scariest game was outside of the Arkansas game was that first round game because you didn't know what the hell was it was after back to back first Maryland were exactly thirty keep grabbing them. But it was scary because if you lost that one, right and I told you, I told you, I can't a fancy camp that story, like everybody played except for me. Oh that's right, he apologized. Yeah, he's like, I just wanted to win so bad. I go I get a coach. I don't. I don't care. If I want we won, I don't. It doesn't matter me if I played and he sitting next to me, What the hell? All day long, coach, All day long?
Speaker 3: Game two coming Sunday at noon.
Speaker 2: Noon on ABC.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the same place.
Speaker 3: It was New York, staying in New York, trying to game back home court advantage to NHL.
Speaker 2: Big surprise for me. I don't know about how you would feel.
Speaker 3: The Utah Hockey Club started off their season two and with the five to four win against the.
Speaker 2: Island's Phoenix Phoenix former Phoenix Coyotes.
Speaker 1: And do they have that at Do they have a name? They are the.
Speaker 3: Utah Hockey Club, that's it. They just like the Washington football team until until later. Did you you like hockey? Are you like a Cody Richie guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not a hockey guy.
Speaker 4: To one.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're I mean in person, they're great. There's a great event if you like that action, it's NonStop. But on TV, I just can't. I can't follow it, and like my wife says, what are the rules? I don't know the rules.
Speaker 3: I make them up for I enjoyed the environments. I like the u of A teams put on a good show. Yeah yep to the MLB. Last night caught a couple of games, Guardians beating the Tigers games series tied two to two and the Yankees being the Royals winning the series three to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I got a question, So is the best of five right? Yeah? Why are we popping champagne just because you want the best of five to get into a championship game? I don't understand the big deal to move have like champagne rights to all these stadiums, and the still you have to buy twelve thousand miles you get to mess with a fun times mister. I'm just saying, it's like scoring a touchdown. Just give the ball to the referee and go back at you. You've got some roubera in you because you're a cranky old man. I am get off my lawn today kind of guy.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Why are you popping champagne after I don't hear you didn't win anything?
Speaker 2: Right now, I'll have a question for you later.
Speaker 3: That's what we talked about over the summer, about how you perform when you dressed the right.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, I'll get I think he might lean my way, but okay.
Speaker 3: That's why I wanted to figure it out. But tonight Game five Padres Dodgers series, tyoo, man.
Speaker 1: I wonder who is going to be ready for I wonder if if they lose it, will see him tomorrow? Is Jay? Is he over He's not over there? No, I figured he'd be from row no or handing out bats maybe so he's a Dodger fan obviously. Yeah. Yeah, I do love the contention between the two teams. So I like that chippiness on the field. I do like that. I think it was like you and U c l A back in the day. Yeah. I didn't like them at all. The only team I didn't like more than them was a s U Mario Bennetts, Mario Mario and head X Smith. Yeah that they were pretty good, big points shaving guys. Yeah, it could have been good if they weren't shaving points.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: To the NFL, Mike Tomlin talked about the status of Russell Wilson. Uh, he's still going to be QB number two, just he needs more time for Russell Wilson to get it back in the flow of which one wasn't involved. He had some injury to start the season.
Speaker 1: Get paid. Yeah, two hundred and fifty million out of something.
Speaker 2: He's still getting paid by the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, that's right. They're paying from get the hell out of Dodge else paying for Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he talked about how he's still number two, justin Fields will remain their number one, and I think that's probably the best decision.
Speaker 1: Don't ever call me number two, number two. Just don't call me number two ever in any context. Back up quarterback? Have you seen those guys go the amercials about the backup quarterback the Geico? Yeah, I think their guy go, but there's a backup quarterback and it helps the dude back his truck up like they wave in like like an actual NFL football. Hey, Ryan Leaf going here and back this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it was a case keen. The other one was the guy hanging a picture. You're done, now let the backup. Oh yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the Diners opened up the window practice window for Rickie Pearsall, who got shot right before the started.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 3: So he'll have a twenty one day practice window, haven't it'll bit. They haven't opened up for McCaffrey yet though, you're still sticking with it hobbling.
Speaker 1: Huh. They won last night? Yeah they did. They had some really good plays last night. Yeah. I don't know if Seattle lost it or they won it. No, welly both, a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: The Indianapolis Colts are said that the their original starter, Anthony Rischild, will be back this week, but their wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. Is questionable now, as well as their running back Jonathan Taylor, who's still out.
Speaker 1: Did they also admit that they're not very good. You'd think, yeah, quarterbacks coming back, but you know, we still need a lot of help and we'll see.
Speaker 2: Joe Flacco didn't do bad.
Speaker 1: No, No, he's just as step he is Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 2: I think so Lacco, he's still playing football.
Speaker 6: Isn't that crazy? Let's say that he's a NFL champion. Who backup quarterback? Backup quarterback? How it goes best? Well, that's position in the NFL. Backup, no questions.
Speaker 1: Well, Nick Foles, I mean there should be a service for Nick Foles this year. I mean, Miami bring him on. Oh he's retired, Yeah, but you don't have he could be the backup quarterback. Yeah, expose.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys ruled out Eric Hendricks for their game against the Lions during Micah Parsons, so they're going to be short ended in the linebacker spot.
Speaker 1: Sunday. No takers on Davante Adams yet. Well, they haven't said to go. I mean he's he wants to go, he needs to go, but they have they don't. They don't say anything. No one's giving him the right money. No, he could go anywhere too. Well, you also got to lock him up. He's only one year, he's running done really so that's scary. He said his top two teams are the Saints and the Jets. So we'll see if it's one of those two or surprise team. What if it were the Jets and the only reason he would go there if they fired head coach? That conspiracy theory right there? It is. It is, But that's not that's too late. Now let me ask who go. You have a lot of stuff, we got time, so this is going to ask. I know you're not going to answer this question. You ever had a teammate teammate and you you had very limited teams that was a lot like Aaron Rodgers. And I'm saying, I'm there, Aaron Rodgers. I'm talking about is kind of a pay Yes, Yes I have I've had a couple of those. Okay, so here or so eve or otherwise no you not to you? No, okay. So those guys, uh, those guys create a divide in yes, And and do you think that they're self aware that they create that divide or do they even give a crap? I don't think they give a crap. Do they know they create the divide? I think they believe that divide is good because it gets rid of the people they don't want. It's pushing the people that they don't want there. That's just that creates a divide. I mean exactly, No, one doesn't make sense and it makes for a really bad team, right right. So, and I was on a couple of those, and it was it was at the community college level where I had kids that wanted to play hard and want to class and wanted to do best and ate right and went to the gym. And then there were kids that would show up, that's not with their work, and you're like, dude, what do you doing? And were they some of the better players and those were the better players? Yeah, yeah, because at that level it was like you roll out the ball, yeah, no question. Yeah, they're the coachers are going to say, hey, but we need to do Yeah, but you're playing that guy because he's better than But yeah, that no question created some riffs. Yeah, both those years I was there, right, and you can guess which one I was. Yeah, you need me to help you, to serve with anything, like really, yeah, he's playing over me. The guy was just you know, out plub until two in the morning. Yep. There's some of that. But then there's also the guys that were really good and did that too, but then held everybody else to higher standards. Yeah, so like, why can't you do what I do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Last night Thursday Night Football, we talked about it a little bit earlier. Friday Nighters beat the Yowks thirty six to twenty four. They're now tied for the top spot in the NFC West.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then of course Week seven, NFL Week six, sorry, uh, some decent matchups. You got the Lions and the Cowboys and a te and T Stadium, Bill's Jets, Monday Night Football, Beangals of Giants on Sunday Night. UH, and a couple other ones out there, but it's too early in the season to be this is a marquee matchup. Just trying to keep momentum for your season.
Speaker 1: No momentum, please had a Jay had a Biz Tucson headline Today we are in the recent magazine. I hate momentum. I don't like. I don't believe in the word tuson downtown downtown momentum. I don't believe in it. I give him grief about it. It's trending. It's trending. That's your word right there for that title right there, Yes, trending, trending Downtown Tucson, trend trending with emotion momentum. You just create your own word mo motion emotion using that emotion. You heard it here first? Yous want most fourteen fifty?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're done with your A couple more teams, big, big weekend for college football. It's been it's great week. It's been highlighted since the spring ball. But UH, before we get into those games, the Red River Rivalry updates Uh, they're Oklahoma's leading wide receiver. Burk has been ruled out for their game. Okay, so it'll be down. They're gonna need a lot of help. Who's going to start quarterback for Texas? And that's the next one they Texas. They confirm yesterday Quinn viewers will he will be.
Speaker 1: Back and Arch is not far behind him. How much leeway do you think they give? No, No, they let them go into the Then that'll create another problem. I mean, you gotta you guys are delicate, These these generations of those few kids like genuine z Z. Why I don't know. I don't like my general out of money.
Speaker 3: I know what nickname is Generation I because of the iPhone, iPads and I and there's no team and I yeah exactly. But Week seven, big matchups in college football. Little one tonight, Utah going to Arizona State Friday night football tonight.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think Utah crushes seven thirty crushing? Oh is he? Oh dude, I thank you, I'm gonna use Oh I just whipped that off my really, Yes, Oh, Utah crushes. What's the line? Three and a half? Oh, there you go, there we go? Wan you want to pay for the house in Mexico in Utah. This mortgage of the house, all that house paid for.
Speaker 3: Other matchups. You got South Carolina visiting Alabama. See how they bounce back after loss to down your belt? Oh yeah, uh, Texas Oklahoma, Red River twelve thirty, Penn State visiting USC. That's usually a classic Rose Bowl matches.
Speaker 1: Right, right, were you you went to? What was you on this trip? Was it Rhode Island? Did you guys go to run in Providence? No, you were not on that trip. Now, you didn't travel much. We went to MAUI was the longest trip. Okay, yeah, but that was I don't there's nothing wrong with that trip. No. I was saying the East coast, because when you come from here to the East coast like they're doing now, we're going one extreme to the other. Oh, it was long trip. Nineteen twenty year olds don't give a crap. No, honestly, no, they don't. You know, they don't they go on East Coast. No, they don't know the furthest we went east coast, I don't know. Utah. Yeah, we wouldn't go anywhere west. We didn't go anywhere east of ninety four. I can't remember that maybe maybe, I mean you got to the tournament. Charlotte was obviously not right east, but that was that went. Yeah, right, that was probably the furthest east we went. Yeah, probably, No, you know where they went. I wanted to go on that trip. No, No, Damon was a was a freshman in ninety two, so it wasn't we didn't go. I traveled every game. Okay, so then you know, I got notes, I got pictures, and your next book. Gonna ride it, okay, super asking me what's your next one? Before you run?
Speaker 3: Just do the rest of the matchups. Arizona visiting BYU. You got Ohio State visiting Oregon. One that's been highlighted since last year. Old Best visiting LSU. Uh decent, Big one in the Big twelve, Kansas State visit in Colorado, both teams.
Speaker 1: Four and one. Okay, so remind me to ask you this question so you'll think about it. You can get a call. Someone texted me, Steve, do you think the talent is exceeding the coaching? Wait, don't answer. We're gonna get to them, gonna get We're gonna take a break. We're gonna get a old Joey coach. Yeah, they can they handle the fighters that they have? I guess that's what it means. So we'll get to a Joey Medina on the other side.
Speaker 7: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 4: Deposit.
Speaker 7: That's deposit, answer it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki.
Speaker 9: Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Mondy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 1: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 9: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. You found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona health, the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and a FAALSE four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on apps shorts are long sleeve follows and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership.
Speaker 1: Paul Volpi is.
Speaker 13: Ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 1: Visit voltpe team dot com.
Speaker 13: That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyric syncredit greates and available loan programs or subjec to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 1: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in.
Speaker 1: Sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime.
Speaker 1: Cards has it all.
Speaker 12: Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere FRUH Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 1: You can borrow better with Peeramide. For details or.
Speaker 10: To apply online, visit pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Oarmny Holmes International, is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 7: Streamy Live on the iHeartRadio AAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Why on the Ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Andy Brown? Now on the phone? We hope is Joey Medina. Joey Oe There? I am Joey Hoy the heck are you? I'm going to make some you cry a little bit. Joey the Kid Medina is how I remember you?
Speaker 14: Yes, I'm now Joey the old.
Speaker 1: Nice nice I was going through some things and we have a lot of the same friends, right, and I asked Francisco to reach out because I sent you a note. I'm thinking that's got it, that's I know. That's Joey the Kid Medina. Back in eighty five you were going up a guests. I think you know Mike, Pajarrito Moreno and Pettis I think I could be wrong.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Mike Parito was actually underneath he was one hundred. He was a bantamweight champion, one hundred and twelve pounds. Nico Perez was the guy I thought twice and got robbed twice. Story.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna see him soon. I'm gonna tell him that, but he probably already knows that. How how long was you? We're gonna go to what you're doing today, obviously, which is you're doing great stuff. But you remember those days fondly? Or how do you remember those?
Speaker 14: Oh? I remember them like they were yesterday, man, I really do. It's you know, it was a huge portion of my life and I don't regret any of it. It was awesome. It made me move to Tucson, you know, and good things, a lot of good things came out of it. I was Arizona lightweight champion, which I won in eighty six, and and that was you know, that's in history now forever, you know. So I'm very proud of that. I have two belts from that, and you know, it was when I was in great shape. Now I'm out of shape, old man, aren't we all?
Speaker 1: I know I am, I know, I am so when did you When did you say? After that, so, which is long time ago, almost forty years ago, how did you transition into what you're doing today?
Speaker 14: Well, I've always been I've always had a good sense to humor. I've always wanted to I never thought I could be a comedian. I thought that's like a special power that you know, only special people people have. And you know, a lot of after my after I retired from boxing, I really I really wasn't sure what I was going to do. I hit some real troubled times and you know, the bors, all kinds of stuff like that, and I went to a comedy club that cheered myself up. And that's kind of when I had the epitome of I'm like, you know, I think I'm going to become a comedian and the rest of his history.
Speaker 1: Right, So being a performer, you see yourself as a boxer as a performer, and now saying as a comedian, right, and that kind of fills that void, right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, absolutely, And but but a lot of people don't, uh probably won't see the similarities. But boxing and comedy are very much the same. They it's it's it's it's exactly the same, except sometimes in comedy when people aren't laughing, it hurts more than.
Speaker 1: Getting They had a lot of insults, not left right, right right. So wait, so how long did you go to boxing? Because you were a young young man and I was about your same age back in the day when you were out winning and beating people.
Speaker 14: My box. You know, I turned pro in eighty four, I believe, and I think I probably stopped around ninety one to maybe something like that, yeah, you know, and then I, uh, I said I was an Arizona Way champion, and then I fought uh Nico Perez for the NBA title where I completely got robbed, and but you know, but you know, it's it's part of the game, right, the business was chosen. That's just the way that works. Boxing.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I can remember you go ahead.
Speaker 14: Uh huh. And I'm just gonna say, just a comedy subjective you may have. You know, I may do a comedy show, and you know, let's say there's one hundred people there, ninety nine people thought I was great and one person thought I was hold right, you know, but in boxing, you have three judges and you just got to hopefully get two of them to think you won.
Speaker 1: Right right back, in the day and I'm not sure if this was one of those nights where they fought at the Greyhound Park they fly out at the Wildcat House and TCC. Oh, yeah, it was great. It was it summer. It was summer, right right.
Speaker 14: Yeah. I fought at a Greathoun park. I knocked out, got his name, but I had a first round knockout there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, No, they didn't have casinos at the time, so it's a Greyhound park, you know, Wildcat House, TCC, and there's probably other places, right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, one of them also the Romote in Oh yeah, so at the hot the Holiday Inn, the dogs off the parking lot, yeah, the parking lot. Yeah, and we did. We did a big, big match. I defended my state title against Harold Romeros.
Speaker 1: He's from my hometown. He's my hometown a thing. Yeah, one of the Gilbert gil guys. Yeah yeah, I beat him twice.
Speaker 14: I beat him twice and one of them was for the title. But when when I defended my title against and he uh, he hit me with a body shot in the eighth round him. I took a knee because that hurt, and I remember telling myself, this guy hits me again. There, I'm not going to be able to get up, so I took a knee just to get a little break.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now you're doing this uh comedy comedy thing, which you're very good at, travel around the country. One of my friends I was actually in town. I worked with her, Lorie Brownstone. I think you're friends with her. Uh. You know, you guys got to find something within something because I'm sure you do all your own writing, right.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, I do all my writing, you know. And I literally I performed all over the world, not just in the US. And actually I'm I am the first American ever to headline at Vietnam.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was How did that happen?
Speaker 14: I didn't know. Then I did. What happened was I ended up doing a tour in Asia, so it was like Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and then when I got to Vietnam to do the show there, the newspaper interviewed me and how does it feel like, how's it field being the first Americans at Vietnam? I like, I didn't even know that, so it was a surprise. The funny thing was everyone in the audience that nobody was vietname. The only Vietnamese people. There were like two hookers that were at the bar, and then you know everybody else where. Everybody else was expats, you know, from all over the world, you know, Europe and everything. And but you know what, but I went I went home with the two hookers.
Speaker 1: You better didn't know how to get home, so they you know where you live? How much? How much does your preparation, uh compare when you were boxing to putting on a comedy show.
Speaker 14: I h that prepare ment prepare mentally very mentally, very very similar.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 14: It's like, as a matter of fact, before before I enter the ring and before I go on stage, I'm feeling the vibe of the energy. I'm loosening up, you know, I'm getting and I think to myself, how am I gonna start? You know, boxing, I'm like, all right, how am I gonna? How am I gonna? Am I gonna you know, be aggressive when the first rings, am I gonna lay back a little bit? Same thing in comedy and then, just like boxing, you have to change the pace. You gotta you've gotta. Sometimes you're doing well, just like in boxing, sometimes you're fighting me down and you're like, oh, this is easy. You have an easy night. Same thing in comedy another same Just like boxing comedy, sometimes you're like something and boxing you hit the guy with your best shot, you just stares at you, you know you. In in comedy you give somebody your best joke and they just they don't laugh you. Okay, I better learn how to juggle or cring because these people are laughing.
Speaker 1: You know, well, are you one of those guys? Because I watch a lot of the newcomers and you know, and I can't recall you involve the crowd because most of them do now, you know, because he can rip back and you can rip them.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I do it. I always talk. I always talk to the audience possible, but you know they respond, you know, I always get some devands. Sometimes you come up with a new joke. Sometimes it becomes funny. Comedy is not supposed to be interactive like that, but sometimes it is. And when it works, it's great. And it doesn't work, you know, like sometimes I do a cruise ship and I'll do a show and a PG show with his kids in the audience, and they just don't shut up. You can't, you know, you can't roast a kid because you know one time.
Speaker 4: One time I felt what it was there?
Speaker 14: His kid, he was a paint in the button. His mom sitting next to us. Well he's adopted. I'm like, I think you picked the wrong one, this little this little chatterbox.
Speaker 1: I still got my receipt. Yeah, yeah, Who are your best places to how often you come back here? And what are your best places to perform at?
Speaker 14: Well too? When I performed, I was the first comedy club I ever stepped foot on. So anytime I perform it Laps and Tucson, it's always special, always, you know, and I'll be there. I think in January and I forgot I think I gave I think you the date, So that's good. Right now, Currently I'm in Opasso. I'm at the comic strip in Opasso, and that's a real uh you know, sensitive non time. It's a real important thing for me because it's the first time I ever worked on the road. Was then'll pass. So you know, I never forget things like that. I never forget things that meant something to me. So when I'm in places that mean a lot, it always makes me feel better. But you know, I love Vegas. I was working in Vegas. I love uh Thailand, Thailand is the most beautiful place I've ever been to in my life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 14: But I I perform on cruise ships. I've performing foreign countries. I performed for you know. I did a tour in England that was that was interesting.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 14: So it just depends on the situation. But but you know, you know, it's just you want to give the people. I'm a performer and I want people to have a good time. I want them to have a good show. Not a boxing match. It's different boxing. I just want to win. I don't care if the audience likes it tonight.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right, and you hear people, you know, I want to give them a good show and win too. So you know, Passal, you're you're among your peeps, man one, and to you said, you're you're not from Tucson. You moved here because of boxing?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I moved here too. So if those for your listeners that remember, my uncle was Carlos Rodriguez, former mister Universe. He owned the sports World Fitness Center in Tucson on Broadway and Euclid And he's the one that convinced me to move to Tucson and and you know, to turn pro, and that's what happened. I turned pro and Tucson and you know the rest of his sister.
Speaker 1: So where where did you come from?
Speaker 14: The Bronx. The Bronx. Yeah, big big culture shop.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 14: Like the first time I remember driving in Tucson, I hit a road runner with my car and I felt very bad. But then I started laughing because I'm thinking wild coyote trying to do the same thing for eighty years, tried everything, bombs. Apparently all he needed was a Toyota.
Speaker 1: You didn't need to be act me, act me. So I was gonna ask you. I was gonna ask you because you know, obviously Hispanic, but you come from the Bronx. I was going to say, your family, and you know how the Hispanics are. I look at the look at Joey. He thinks he's full of it. Now he's made it, you know, Uh, he'll never come back home. I'm sure you get that too, or maybe not.
Speaker 14: No, I don't. I'm not saying because this sounds anti humble, but but I'm pretty humble. I always feel very grateful when things go well and I'm in a good position because I also know how life is life is up and down, and I know you can have a great you know you're gonna have a great day and then the next day is horrible. So you know, I'm a realist about life, and I just I'm just grateful every day that people want to hear me laugh, I recognize me or know who I am, or follow me on Instagram or whatever, and I'm just I'm always thankful to those things. And I appreciate because there's a million comics in this world. They can they can like other comics, not just me, So I know, you know, I know I'm a very fortunate person.
Speaker 1: Sure, no, no, that's that's fantastic. And I'm sure you have a pretty guys, pretty nice life, travel in the world, traveling, doing all these things. And when you'll be back here in Tucson in in January, maybe when you're in town, you can kind of be a co host with me.
Speaker 14: We joked on I would love that would be that would be that would be amazing. Absolutely do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we know, you know de la Hoya has been through here with his uh with his back football, now with his boxing and promotion. Sugar Ray, did it U any cool stories you have with with former boxers who maybe realized that you did box back in the day.
Speaker 14: Well, when I defended my state title in in Tucson, Tommy Hearns was at the fight and we played cards afterwards, and I beat him. So there, that's the only way I could beat.
Speaker 1: That's right, took his money. Yeah, you're talking what ninety eighty nine, ninety around there, eighty seven?
Speaker 14: That was eighty probably eighty seven, yeah, yeah, around maybe eighty.
Speaker 1: Seven, the good old days.
Speaker 14: Well, so, yeah, he wasn't he wasn't punchy yet, right.
Speaker 1: No, I know, and you're not either. So you got out of a good time because you know you're not you're not all you know, you're not hurting.
Speaker 14: Yeah, thank god. But I do have a bad memory at least. Well that's what I tell my girlfriend. I'm like, hey, yeah, you forgot my birthday and like, honey, you know I'm punchy while are you sleeping with somebody else? I forgot.
Speaker 1: I was gonna I'm going to remember that. I remember, honey, You're never a boxer, I will. You know, I don't know that stuff happens. Joe right, right right, And Joey, thanks so much for joining us. We'll talk to you before you get here. Pleasure all right, man.
Speaker 14: Good luck to you absolutely, man. I will love that. I love you guys. Thanks for having me a.
Speaker 1: Great, great, good stuffy. Okay, so let's let's kind of go. We're gonna have Jay come back sometime soon, right, and then we're gonna talk real quick about some coaching. The coaching. The question I asked you are they Are they out recruiting and coaching. No, we'll figure out what the question is. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lout. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Tielemon Hontly with Arizona Health imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 1: Space and your life.
Speaker 15: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 4: To get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 15: Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 16: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, Then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 17: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 7: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to myning the ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, and today with me is Andy Brown in studio and one here, two and now we have Jagan's aus. Are you sleep?
Speaker 4: I'm here, man, I just I just won't go away. You know, I know what to tell you. Joy.
Speaker 1: I had to raise your chair, little jay, little shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hear, Andy.
Speaker 1: Well go away after this weekend because you've done too well. Also outside of last week, so now you're heading Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, up until last week. You're right, And now if we the hell know what I'm gonna do, So it's uh, I hate this before.
Speaker 1: We'll go through quickly, through the through the U, through the picture real quick. But I got a text. Uh, in fact, I gotta from one of our listeners. I want to go to it real quickly so you can and asked any of this question. Uh, Steve, do you think the talent is exceeding the coaching? The talent exceeding the coaching on the football exceeding? Yeah, Like, do they have too much talent that they're trying to overthink it? You could, Yeah, it's possible.
Speaker 4: I guess that can happen. But I think I think that's overthinking what's going on, I really do. I think I think it's just they're still trying to figure out what, you know, how to do things offensively, how to be on the same page, you know, the right calls, you know what what they've got. And honestly think you know what I thought about since we had that conversation yesterday. See, I think he's trying to do too much. Yeah, we're throwing everything down the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that. Yeah, well you're a caller said that he's trying to eat the whole apple at one time. Right, you don't you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: How did you make And maybe part of it is because you know, guys aren't running correct routes or whatever and getting open over the middle. But everything's down the field. He's had time to throw.
Speaker 14: How many times do.
Speaker 4: They have time to throw in the Texas Tech game? And then he throws something away down the field and nothing, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he's overthinking it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm not saying that he's a bad quarterback. All I'm saying is that you know there, maybe everybody's overthinking it right, right, But I don't know you called that. You can never have too much sub They know what to do.
Speaker 1: These guys.
Speaker 4: These guys aren't brand new coaches. They've been around for a while. They you know, it's it's I just don't think it has to do with figuring each other out. They're still still doing that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So let's make our picks before we run out of time. Okay, okay, So you go ahead, them first, you go first, all right.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I normally do in a situation like this when I get screwed by a team, I kick him off, kick him to the curve, and I don't go back. But on this one, I'm I'm gonna stay on the Texas bandwagon. I know, the fourteen points is a big spread against Oklahoma. Oklahoma was very lucky to win that game. A couple of weeks ago. When I had them, they came back on. I can't remember what it was, but I think text is gonna blow him out. I mean, it's the Red River shootout, but it's a fourteen point spread. But Texas is just really damn good, and I think we're gonna I think you're gonna win this game by a lot.
Speaker 1: It's funny that line, that line, that you say that. I like that line too. I didn't pick Texas, but I do like that. Did you screw me the last time I picked Texas, which is a week or two, so go, I think when both of us had them. Okay, okay, let me go with mine. I'm gonna go with my pros first. I'm gonna go with Houston. Uh and I'm gonna have to go to the list, but up to the pick, Houston going against somebody who is Patriots.
Speaker 4: They're playing They're playing the Patriots. We got it. We've got a uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six and a half. So I'm going with Houston.
Speaker 4: Okay. I like that a lot, but not enough to picket, you know, because it's one of those things where you just don't know what you've got in Drake May, who's gonna start? You'd like to think that Houston everything says take to take the Texans in this, I'm just gonna stay away from it. So okay, I got you down. Okay, Okay, all right, my next one, I'm going you know, I just think I feel like cal after what happened to them last week, has got to be unbelievably demoralized, and now they've got to head back to the coast again to go play Pitt. You know, Pitt's in first place in the ACC. I think they're really good. They're at home, it's a it's a twelve thirty game, cal California time. I just like all these things add up to telling me that Pitt's gonna it's gonna handle them. If a bigger spread, maybe not maybe if it's over a touchdown spread, out of take that. But at three and a half, I'm gonna take pet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So I'm gonna go with my other NFL Bills. I'm gonna take the Bills. I don't see they're losing three straight games. They're better than that. And who they playing. They're playing So.
Speaker 4: I'm playing the Jets in New England.
Speaker 1: Monday and Monday. No, no, they're playing a Jet in New England or Europe.
Speaker 4: I mean, excuse me, you're well in New Jersey they're playing Jets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm gonna take the Bills on the road against the Jets, which is which is a team that's so dysfunctional it won't matter.
Speaker 4: Well. Here here's the again, I'm not touching that game because there's this thing called home Dog on Monday night, and and it's a thing. And I've seen it so many times now with the coaching change, either they're in disarray or they kind of let themselves loose and go out and play a good game. I'm I'm I'm staying away from that one as well.
Speaker 1: All right, say.
Speaker 4: I had the other hand, I'm jumping back on the bandwagon that I got on the other day. And I like the Lions. They're giving up three to the Cowboys. I think, I mean the Cowboys they hold me. Last week. I'm tisted that the Steelers blew that the Cowboys didn't look good doing it. The Lions are really good. I think. I think the lines are going to the Super Bowl, and I like them giving up only three to the Cowboys. They think they're going to just go in there and blast those guys. So I'm taking the Lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went with the same pick. The lines are lock, They're lock.
Speaker 4: Okay, I haven't decided if I'm going to lock them yet. I haven't decided on my lock yet.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 4: My other NFL pick, I so bad want to take the Bengals because they just have to win this week. But I just he just holds me so many times they're awful. I'm gonna take I'm going to take the big game of the weekend in the NFL, and I think I think the Ravens will handle the Commanders at home. The commander has been really good. Uh what's his name?
Speaker 1: The quarterback Daniels.
Speaker 4: Daniels, he's been really good. I just think this, this is a huge game, and I feel like this might be a little over his head. There's a lot of people taking the Commanders the Ravens. I think Lamar Jackson is just gonna go. You know, dude, you have no idea what you're getting into. I feel like the command the Ravens. The Commanders plus six and a half is a good pick. But for some reason, I feel like because of because I think that I'm gonna take the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I love the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Makes I know that makes no sense, but I'm going with that.
Speaker 1: This is Jay's picks. Of course, they don't make any sense. You're you're You're consistent. You're consistent by the way. I bet I bet the Ravens to win it all. They're seven to one right now.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, I like Tom a lot.
Speaker 1: Now, No, Kansas college pick. Okay, so I have my Uh, I got off Utah tonight, which I want to do, but I'm gonna go with Tennessee over Florida. They're at home. I gotta win this game. Florida sucks, Tennessee played. Tennessee played horribly last week. So let's go with Tennessee a lot of pressure on them to win this game. And they can't lose them.
Speaker 4: They can't. I mean, it shouldn't have lost last week and they can. Yeah, they're gonna. Yeah, that's that's a decent pick. It's a big spread on the road, you never know, but for oh no, it's not at home. Yeah, at home, all right. And then our pick that we both got to pick Oregon in Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Another to another tough one.
Speaker 4: It's really hard and uh, everything said tells me that I should be taking Ohio State. But you know, the home team getting three points in a game like this, it's gonna be crazy. At Oregon, I think I think they're not that far off from each other in terms of how good they are. I think Oregon with the home field advantage, I think I'm going against the Green and I'm gonna take Oregon plus the three.
Speaker 1: Well, sorry to say this, but I'm doing the same thing. You're at home. Wow, it's you know what's gonna happen. You know it's gonna be a push. It's gonna be a.
Speaker 4: Push, the dreaded, the dreaded three point spread.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a push. Yeah, and then here we go. Yeah, so at least we have a My lock is detrue locking the lion. Yeah, you're locking the lion. I'm gonna lock pick. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna lock pick. All right. Well, I think you've got two games on me now right, the longest, the biggest definit I faced in it forever.
Speaker 4: Let's see. Uh yeah, two points up on your eighteen to sixteen. We were both awful last week. I got zero, you got minus one. I got one game, right, but we both missed both the lock and the special. So you got a minus one and I got horrible. I dropped from forty fourth place to two hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's just how it goes. That's how it goes. We got to get our boy one. What's your pick?
Speaker 4: All right? One pick of the week.
Speaker 3: I want to I want to make it clear again that My pick last week was amazing. Yeah, he had a and m over Missouri.
Speaker 7: Uh oh.
Speaker 3: When I'm looking at this week, Penn State visiting the Trojans of USC, Penn State's undefeated, I see three and two off of tough loss in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Give me the Trojans anouncing back at home?
Speaker 1: Wow, what are they get in? What's the spread? Penn State by three and a half? Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah. If they had a home field advantage or something, that would be good.
Speaker 4: Wow. One, I look at you, okay, Man, keep an eye on that way. So I don't think I'm gonna touch the Trojans the whole rest of the year. They make you want to talk about a team that makes no sense to me.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so let's let's stick with that theme. We've got a couple of minutes. Your prediction for tomorrow, Juve and Juve, A and B y U.
Speaker 4: This is gonna sound very homeless, Steve, but I think they're gonna shock the world again and go up there and win, straight up win. I think it's a straight up win. I don't think it's just a cover. I think they're gonna go win. I think they're gonna go win. This game. I think you know, they had a lot to they had a lot to look towards themselves that for what happened last day. They're not afraid of b Yu. I know b YU undefeated. I don't think we still know how good they are. I saw a stat that says d Yu was terrible in day games. Yeah, even at home. And I think Arizona's gonna go up there with a chip on his shoulder because of what they did last week. And I think they win the game. I think it's a close game, but I think they win.
Speaker 1: Andy, we got about a minute, Brittant. I'm gonna throw this out there for the best. You have a fan that I've known in a long time, Judy Teasley, who passed away last week, and she's always been an Arizona fan. So Arizona by six, Well the spreads on. He's three and a half. Yep. I'm with Jay, shout it out for the Teasley family. We're gonna bring home a w from Utah and we're gonna own that state, just like this one.
Speaker 4: It's a one score game. It's a one score game. You needs the direction, But I think Arizonna win.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to pick Arizona by US undefeated.
Speaker 2: They're coming off their bye week. Not so fast. My friend.
Speaker 3: B U y U is absolutely horrible during day games. Can't explain why nine to two last over the last couple of years, Arizona should be able to I think this is the week no feeder returns from last year, and I think Arizona goes on to win thirty eight thirty one.
Speaker 1: I'm just picking Arizona. Covers covers, Okay, okay, there was a cover. Okay, all right, Jay, enjoy your enjoy your game, Jay, all.
Speaker 4: Right, man, game five, getting ready to go. All right, talk to you guys later.
Speaker 1: We gotta go here, probably right now. Okay, thanks guys, Hey, Andy, thank you, but see you soon. Appreciate you have good weekend.