Speaker 1: The Baby Snug Shawl.
Speaker 2: Starring Fanny Bryce as Baby Snugs, with Hanley Stafford as Daddy and brought to you by Toms Martha. Well, hello everyone, this is Don Wilson. How fast do you drink your morning coffee?
Speaker 1: Ten seconds? Fifteen? You don't know, ah, but your stomach does.
Speaker 2: Because those hasty swallows of coffee and orange juice you gulped down on the run often bring on acid.
Speaker 1: Indigestion and heartburn.
Speaker 2: So right after breakfast, try taking a couple of tombs. See how fast toms soothe and comfort acid upset stomach.
Speaker 1: See how much better you feel? All morning long?
Speaker 2: Get tombs tonight? Still only ten cents a roll, three roll package a quarter everywhere tums Toms for the tummy. And now the Sycamore Terrace and the Higgins family. Well, Easter is almost here, and with it the new outfits for that stroll down the avenue on Easter Sunday. Ah, but Easter finery costs money, and money is what poor Daddy Higgins is always without.
Speaker 1: Having been victorious.
Speaker 2: In the battle with Mummy who wanted the new Easter outfit, He's just started the second one with Snugs.
Speaker 3: Why can't I haven't lost out seek.
Speaker 4: Oh first, mummy, now you well, if you must know, I don't have the money. My job doesn't offer that kind of remuneration.
Speaker 3: What what you said.
Speaker 4: Remuneration? Look, it's time you learn a new would tell me what do I carry home every Saturday night?
Speaker 5: Hm?
Speaker 4: Hmally, I mean my paycheck? It's all spent.
Speaker 3: Well, Pamela richag is getting a new Easter outfit from my one one two?
Speaker 4: Oh, so that's it. Well, Pamela's father happens to be a banker. I don't have his kind of money.
Speaker 3: What kind do you have?
Speaker 4: I don't mean it that way. We have to say money, But he has a whole lot more.
Speaker 3: Min An't you smart enough to be a banker?
Speaker 4: I am smart enough. I'm just not lucky. I never got the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Well, mommy says, since you and she got married, you passed up every opportunity.
Speaker 4: I wish i'd passed up that one too. Forget Pamela and new Easter clothes.
Speaker 3: Well, if you was a banker, would you have likes of money too?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: Well why do you get to him? I need to be a banker. Why didn't you get to be.
Speaker 4: A banker by lending other people money?
Speaker 3: Is that how you become a banker?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: Then you're worried, or rover, I can fix it for you. How to be a banker?
Speaker 4: Oh? How lend me thirty dollars? A banker lends out thousands of dollars?
Speaker 3: All right, I'll lend me thousands.
Speaker 4: Will you please stop bothering me?
Speaker 3: Well? I want to look as nice as Tama, honey this Sunday.
Speaker 4: Look, honey, I just can't afford it. What if Pamela does have nicer clothes? Does that make her happier than you? Ma sure that it does not?
Speaker 3: Well, how do you know how happy I am?
Speaker 4: Snooks? You mean you aren't happy?
Speaker 3: I cried might sleep all last night.
Speaker 4: Oh you didn't.
Speaker 3: I thought my low heart would break?
Speaker 4: Why, snooks, honey, I didn't know, honest, I didn't. What made my baby cry in her little bed?
Speaker 3: There's a spring busted in my mouth?
Speaker 4: I was talking about happiness. Look, run along and forget clothes. I'm broke, all right.
Speaker 3: I guess Pamuel will ride about us being poor white ash.
Speaker 4: Hey wait a minute, Pamela said that, yeah, and she.
Speaker 3: Laughed and said, you're too poor to buy me new clothes.
Speaker 4: Oh she did, well, we'll just show her. All right, We're all going to have new exter outfits. I'm going to do something I've never done before.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 4: You and I are going right down to mister Richardson's bank and try to get a personal loan of three hundred dollars. Come on, well, mister Richardson, we'll see me in a few minutes about my loan. Snookes, So stay right here.
Speaker 3: See daddy, look at that man over there behind the boys?
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 3: What's she in for?
Speaker 4: He's not in for anything. He's a teller.
Speaker 3: He's a tower.
Speaker 4: Yes, can I go over in a lesson? A teller is a person in a bank who takes in and pays out money. He doesn't tell things now, and I'll be quiet.
Speaker 3: What's all those windows, Daddy? There's so many young them?
Speaker 4: I know we'll all banks have them. There's a paying window, or receiving window, loan an interest window, Christmas fund window.
Speaker 3: Well, where's the one?
Speaker 4: Uncle Lowie always goes to Uncle Louis, which one is that? The two window? Look? You don't find two dollar windows in banks. You only find them at racetracks. Why because a bank isn't like a racetrack.
Speaker 3: Well, what's the difference.
Speaker 4: There's a big difference. The money a man puts in a bank his wife spends at least at the racetrack he gets to watch the horses. Will you please, mister Richison, will see you now? Oh, come on the gad door right over there, Thank you, I mean, oh, hello, mister Richardson.
Speaker 6: How do you do? Mister Higgins.
Speaker 4: This is my little daughter, Snookes. She and your daughter are great little pearls.
Speaker 3: You know that's right. I love Pamela.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that I was afraid that Pamela because spoiled and conceded that nobody could like her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can say that again.
Speaker 4: I agree with it.
Speaker 6: No apologies necessary, mister Higgins. I realize that I have pampered Pamela too much for her own good. She's inclined to act superior to people.
Speaker 4: But I guess I just love her too much.
Speaker 3: I love it too. I'm just mad about it.
Speaker 4: But I suppose I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't know, all right, And let's hate.
Speaker 4: It anyway, mister Richardson, in view of our daughter's mutual friendship. I felt you might think me coly business like if I didn't come to you personally for what I need.
Speaker 6: Just what do you need, mister Higgins Alone?
Speaker 4: A small loan?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a teeny weenie loo alone.
Speaker 6: Oh I see, well, mister Higgins, in spite of our mutual friendship, I still must adhere to banking policy, which, as I'm sure you know, makes it necessary to check with the condition of all people who borrow money.
Speaker 3: You gotta check Downy's condition.
Speaker 4: Yes, tell me, mister Higgins, do you have collateral?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, all he has a little signage club snoops.
Speaker 4: Please, your help isn't helping me at all. Look, mister Richardson, the reason I need money is because I don't have collateral. I'm just plain broke, and I need three hundred dollars for easter outfits for the family. But I've got a steady job easter outfits.
Speaker 6: I hardly consider that a worthy reason for my risking an unsecured loan.
Speaker 4: But mister Richardson, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, mister Higgins.
Speaker 4: Policy is policy. Well, they're goal our easter outfits.
Speaker 3: Gee, I guess we're going to be poor, just poor white trash like Paula said.
Speaker 1: Just a minute, my daughter said that.
Speaker 4: Famela said that.
Speaker 3: Family said Dad, She said, my daddy couldn't buy me a new East outfit like like she's getting.
Speaker 6: Mmm, mister Higgins, I have I have reconsidered for reasons of my own.
Speaker 4: I'll lend you the money. Come in first thing tomorrow morning. We'll arrange the loan. Why why thank you mister Chison.
Speaker 3: Gee daddy, Now we can all get new East outfits all until blame daddy. How come we're going to shop right now at the department store. You ain't getting the money till tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Because now that I know I'm getting it, I can go ahead and charge everything. First, we'll buy you an easter bonnet right over there. Come on, Oh, how do you do, sir?
Speaker 3: Something for the little man?
Speaker 4: Yes, we'd like to see some of your easter bonnets.
Speaker 7: Oh well, here's a charming little bonnet.
Speaker 4: Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Little girl? M m, it's still playing? Could you put on that pretty people?
Speaker 4: Why sure?
Speaker 3: And that sweet all bunch of daisies all right? And that beautiful little red rose is fine? There we are. Oh that's just a pretty.
Speaker 4: Good Shall I wrap it up?
Speaker 3: No? I hate it.
Speaker 4: Don't start getting difficult.
Speaker 3: But I don't like it.
Speaker 7: Don't worry, sir, I have loads.
Speaker 4: Of patients, just loads.
Speaker 3: Oh I know. How about this little green bonnet?
Speaker 7: You know, green like spring and nature things, budding birds on the wing.
Speaker 3: And it's such a pretty shaded green, Yes, isn't it. I never thought such a pretty shaded green, neither of us. There's only one thing I wish. What's that? I wish it was red.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid she is a bit difficult.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm beginning to think it isn't going to be so easy to please.
Speaker 4: This little miss. Little miss as far as my wife and I am concerned, this is a big miss. Oh, nothing, nothing, I guess you'd better show her something else.
Speaker 5: Well, Unfortunately, as I said before, I do have loads of patients.
Speaker 3: Now, how about this flat.
Speaker 7: Straw with a big old fashioned black velvet bowl.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. It looks like a flying sort.
Speaker 7: Well, you look strange enough to be coming out of one.
Speaker 4: It's really very pretty.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't care. I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Look, will you please make up your mind? Gee?
Speaker 3: Why are you getting mad? I thought you said you had load your patience.
Speaker 4: I do, but you're making me dump my whole load.
Speaker 7: No, well we'll try again, shall we say? How about this bonnet here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: That is now at last, But I want.
Speaker 3: A lot of more stuff on it. I want a real Easter bonnet.
Speaker 7: Well I mean, well, what sort of the what sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you mean?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Put on that chocolate Easter bunny.
Speaker 4: There, chocolate on a hurt, yeah, yeah, oh, put it on anything to please her?
Speaker 3: Well, all right, and put on someone the marshmallow eggs.
Speaker 7: On a head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and some of them little candy chickens on a hat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, frankly, I think it's getting a little loaded, and I wish I were too.
Speaker 3: Is there anything else you want on it? Yeah? Springing some of the jump.
Speaker 4: Well, there you are on your head.
Speaker 7: You now have a chocolate Easter bunny, two marshmallow eggs, yeah, three kay chicks, a handful of jelly beans.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: That will that be it?
Speaker 4: Fine? Shall I wrap it up now?
Speaker 3: I'll eat it here.
Speaker 4: Well, here is between you and me. We put in quite an afternoon of shopping.
Speaker 5: Well, you know me, since I got your call to go ahead and charge a new East Drop that I.
Speaker 4: Was off like a flash. I'm sure glad Richardson. Okayed that loan for me tomorrow morning. By the way, where's Snooks? Oh? She couldn't wait to show it off to Pamela Richardson. The way Pamela's been picking on her. She couldn't resist attempting. Oh here she is now? Mmm, why Snook's honey? What's wrong?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 3: Dear Tamler said? I still look like white crash?
Speaker 4: Oh she did, did she? She shouldn't get away with a thing like that.
Speaker 3: She didn't. I punched right in the nose.
Speaker 4: That's pot.
Speaker 3: Oh, No, my loan, my poor loan.
Speaker 4: There it is. That has to be Richson. Hello, mister Richardson.
Speaker 1: Oh so you know who it is?
Speaker 6: Higgins.
Speaker 4: Mister Richardson, are you mad at me? The whole three hundred? What couldn't she just be mad at me? A hundred fifty dollars worth?
Speaker 2: Higgins?
Speaker 6: Since you seem to know the reason for my call, any further conversation is unnecessary, And don't show up.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow morning thinking I'll change my mind because I won't. Goodbye, miss Higgins. It's not tied whip you right now except for one thing.
Speaker 3: Hm, you love me?
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to rump at your new dress. It's going back.
Speaker 1: Say, don mind if I park here for a while. Why who you're hiding from?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not hiding.
Speaker 6: It's my birthday and I can't bear to look at the fancy food my wife is fixing.
Speaker 4: It gives me acid indigestion.
Speaker 1: I've got the wrong idea, my friend. Go home and enjoy yourself. I mean, tuck into the banquet and enjoy your food. Put my acid indigestion, take thumbs and forget it.
Speaker 2: Tombs instantly start to settle and soothe the way the nagging distress of over acid stomach.
Speaker 1: We leave a heart burn, and you're feeling fine again in no time.
Speaker 2: Hey, Don Wilson, that's for me, you bet. Toms are for all of you good people who want to eat what you like without a moment's fear of acid indigestion.
Speaker 1: But wait a minute, how much do Tom's cost. I'm not a millionaire, you know.
Speaker 2: Toms are still only ten cents a roll, and a million dollars couldn't buy you more glorious relief from acid indigestion than Tom's give you for a dime. What's more, when you buy the big economy box. You get twelve ten cent rolls of Tom's for only one dollar. Get Tums tombs for the tummy tonight. Well, it looks like the Higgins family is not going to have a happy Easter thanks to Snooks. When she punched Pamela in the nose, she punched Daddy right off of three hundred.
Speaker 1: Dollars loan for easter clothes.
Speaker 2: At the moment, he's telling his woes to his next door neighbor, Randolph Conquer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come call the clothes we charge. You'll have to go back. Say that is tough unless I can range alone somewhere else. Oh, you're going to try to get another loan? Huh? Look, higgy, we've been friends for a long time. Yes, uncle, Yes, And whenever we're.
Speaker 2: In trouble, we always come to each other, don't we.
Speaker 4: Right, And now there's a cash problem. Yeah, come on, uncle, say what you're going to say? All right, if you get the loan, would you split it with me? I thought you were going to lend me the money.
Speaker 2: I would, but I'm too broke from buying easter up fits myself. And on top of that, Martha just clipped me for my last twenty to.
Speaker 4: Pay a beauty parlor bill. I know what you mean. I just wish I had the fortune vera spends on face creams alone.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually a necessary expense, higge as I see if there's one big factor that makes women spend all that money on their face.
Speaker 4: Or really, what factor is that? Imax?
Speaker 2: Oh stop, this is a serious problem to me when now look, you've been working for weenies for almost take Maybe he'll inje of the money.
Speaker 4: I've never even been able to get a raise out of him. Will he might not be as hard as you think. Tell him how much it means to your wife and children. In fact, takes looks down there to help you play any sympathy, Say that's worth a try. Sure the old skin flint might not have the heart to turn down a child. I'll get a hold of Snooks right now, mister weimish you will see us in a few moments. Snooks, now, do you remember what I want you to tell him?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 4: Well, Just to be safe, I'll run over it with you once more. Hmm. My father has worked hard for you for the better part of a decade. You got that so far. Let's hear it.
Speaker 3: My father has worked hard for you, and the better part of him is decayed.
Speaker 4: That is decade. Now, let's get home with the rest. During that time, he has asked nothing of you, and now he's miserable that he has to stand and face you for a loan. Let's hear the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing, all right, My daddy has worked hard for the better part of a decay. Go on, during that time, he has asked nothing of you and has had to stand your miserable faith alone.
Speaker 4: Forget the whole thing. Just keep in mind that I need money and you were here to play on his sympathy.
Speaker 2: All right, day, all right, Higgins, come on in, Oh.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister Weish. Come on, sirs, Higgins.
Speaker 2: Why did you have to bring that little pest with you my body?
Speaker 3: Nobody, mister Mish. I'll gest it in the corner and play with your mean cat.
Speaker 4: My mean cat.
Speaker 3: Your daddy told me you had a sour pussy. Oh wow, she she really.
Speaker 4: Didn't hear me say that, mister?
Speaker 2: Never mind, Higgins, never mind, What is it you want to talk to me about?
Speaker 4: Well, mister Weimish, I've worked for you for a long time now, and I've never asked much. Well, it's mutual, Higgins. You've never done much, but I've tried, and now I need help, and you're the only one I can come to. I need a loan of three hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Three hundred dollars that's a lot of money, Higgins. Of course, if it's for an emergency, I might consider it. On the other hand, if it's for something foolish like Jackson in the shipping department wanted one hundred dollars advance.
Speaker 2: Just to buy some Easter clothes. Yeah, ridiculous. Naturally I turned him down. Oh naturally, Well, what's your start?
Speaker 3: Well sor we need some time to change it?
Speaker 4: Well, the reason I need the money is it's on account of Via. You see, she's sick. Oh, she's very sick, sick of what I'm willing the same old fast. This is no time to joke about your mother's illness, for which we need the money. Get it?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, poor mommy? Four for sic.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, mister Whemish. Just this morning I took Viera's temperature and it was one hundred and five. One hundred and five, and that was in the shade too. Does sound serious O? It is, mister Whemish. The doctor says she'll need an operation, and that's why I need the three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes, you'll need an operation.
Speaker 4: Well, snooks Lancelot.
Speaker 2: I'm very sorry to hear this.
Speaker 4: What are they going to operate on?
Speaker 3: VERA four appendix?
Speaker 4: Colstones? I love the appendix.
Speaker 3: Appendix a golf stone once more? Maybe we can come out to get it.
Speaker 4: Hey, guns, what's going on here? Well? You see she has both appendix and golston.
Speaker 2: Oh well, an appendix isn't serious, but a gall bladder is another thing.
Speaker 4: Are you sure she has stones?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah. When she sits down she raffles something.
Speaker 2: Well, Higgins, under these circumstances, I can see you do need money.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, mister Weebish.
Speaker 1: How do you know that three hundred will be enough?
Speaker 4: Will three hundred be enough?
Speaker 3: Well, because that's all the east to outfit course, you know the out court outfits.
Speaker 2: So, Higgins, you wanted the money for clothes after all?
Speaker 4: Well, yes I did, mister Weebish. Sir, I've worked for you for a long time and I thought you might be willing to help me get a little joy out of live Higgins.
Speaker 2: I'm going to help you with just one thing and that's out that door with my foot. Now get up.
Speaker 4: Look I could cry too. It hadn't meant for your hitting Pamela, I'd have gotten the money from mister Richardson. Now. Look it's high time you learn to control your temple like I do. For instance, when I was plenty mad, mister Wemish wouldn't lend me that money. I felt like hitting him too. But do you know why I didn't caught?
Speaker 3: You were powick.
Speaker 4: I just know how to control myself. So instead I came home and used this piece of paper to let off my steam. I wrote down every nasty thing I wanted to say to mister Weenish. After that I felt better. He did, yes, And that's what I want you to do hereafter. When you're mad at Pamela, write down every nasty thing you want to say and write it just like a letter. After you get it down on a piece of paper, you'll feel better.
Speaker 3: I think I'll feel better if I write this stuff down on my blackboard. Why well, after I've finished writing, I could hit her over the head with it.
Speaker 4: You're not going to hit anybody. You're gonna hold your temple like I do. You understand you're going to have my control. What you're going about?
Speaker 3: You scared me.
Speaker 4: We'll just remember hereafter no hitting, just writing.
Speaker 3: I'll remember, daddy.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought, here's my dress and hat.
Speaker 3: I'll wrapped up ready to go back, And here's mine.
Speaker 4: My suit's in this box. I feel awful, so do I. I was really counting on attracting a lot of attention in that outfit. Now I'll have to march in the Easter parade without a thing to wear. Ye.
Speaker 3: That way you'll attack even more, can't you. Oh you'll be quiet.
Speaker 4: This is all your fault anyway, I'll get it.
Speaker 2: Hello, Oh, Higans, this is mister Wish.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, mister Higgins.
Speaker 2: I just got through giving my kids are easter outfits. They were awfully happy and it made me happy. Then I got thinking about you, Higgins.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry about this morning.
Speaker 2: That three hundred loan will be in the mail for you in the morning.
Speaker 3: And happy Easter.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, thanks a million, mister Weebish. Goodbye, faroks. We can keep the clothes. You mean, Webish's loaning is the money after all? Yes, trooks. You see there. If I told off mister Weebish instead of writing those things down, on the paper, he'd never have given me the money. So you see it really works.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been doing it too, Daddy. This morning I got mad at Tamla again, so I wrote down every nasty thing I could think of, just like it wasn't matter, that's wonderful. Then I mailed it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, those letters are just a little off, Steve. You're not supposed to have mailed them.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't know that. I think you're gonna be mad at me. H. Well, when I mailed my letter the Pamela, I also mailed the one you wrote to mister Wienie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh hello, there snucks. What can I do for you?
Speaker 3: Would you give me some candy?
Speaker 2: Mister Wilson, I'm sorry he's spending a candy, but here, how would you like a shining new penny?
Speaker 3: I'd rather to have a old dime.
Speaker 2: Now, look, young lady, time you realize money doesn't grow on trees.
Speaker 4: Well, doesn't you have to earn it?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: These days?
Speaker 2: You have to earn a lot the way prices are increasing. See this paper here it says even castor oil is going up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the only time cast the old body is me is when it's going down.
Speaker 4: Snucks.
Speaker 1: Why don't you try earning your spending money.
Speaker 3: I would if I could get a nice little job like yours.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right, mine is an easy job. The easiest job in the world is selling tombs. Actually, I don't have to sell thumbs at all. You millions of thumbs users are doing it for me. Sure you tell your friends how speedily toms relieve heartburn, ease away the non distress of over acid stomach, help you feel better fast. So they try tombs and pass the good news along to their friends, and I say, thank you, friends, keep up the good work. Just be sure to add the price of thumbs has not gone up, still only ten.
Speaker 1: Cents a row three year old package a quarter everywhere.
Speaker 2: Ask for tums, tombs for the tummy, and now here snuts again.
Speaker 4: Well snooks. Fortunately for you, I was able to intercept that letter at the office before mister Weemish got it. I'm glad, daddy, but you might have cost this not only our easter outfits, with my job as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah lucky I didn't.
Speaker 4: Then there wouldn't be any money to buy you any clothes at all. Yeah I have nothing to wear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm lucky.
Speaker 4: It couldn't go outside and play boy, I sure am lucky, or go to school.
Speaker 3: I couldn't go to school. No gee, I know this luck couldn't last and just knew it.
Speaker 4: Oh fine, good night.
Speaker 3: Good night daddy, and good night everybody.
Speaker 5: Mothers, for your husband or children are out of sorts because they need a laxative. Don't add to their distress by giving them harsh drugs or pheno derivatives. Give them Nature's remedy, better known as NR tablets. N Our tablets are all vegetable. That's why they give such gentle yet thorough relief. Why people feel fine after taking yet NR for adults, chocolate coated n our juniors for children and others whose requirements are less only twenty five cents a box, money back if not delighted, and our tonight tomorrow all right.
Speaker 2: The Baby Snug Show came to you from Hollywood and was produced by Arthur Stander and written.
Speaker 1: By Bob Fisher and Arthur Stander.
Speaker 2: Cash for Eileen Harris's Mummy, Frank Nelson, Alvi, Allman, Ken Christi, and Fred Shields. Don't forget to listen to The Baby Snug Show every Tuesday at the same time. This is Don Wilson reminding you the night and day at home all away. Always carry tombs, t u ms, toms for the tummy.
Speaker 4: Now enjoy the Bob Hope Show tomorrow. Left with Gratcho Marx on NBC