Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search Ie.
Speaker 2: On the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Mike Quinn. I am still and you get up the game, son, and we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: During Arizona's loss to TCU on Saturday, Teamax set the Arizona record for most receiving yards in program history, passing his wide receiver coach Bobby Wade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not a surprise. It came a big deal. Three years in good big.
Speaker 3: I still you know, before the season started, I said, I thought that he would be good down as the best player to ever play here, at least in my mind.
Speaker 5: I have some reservations. And it's not his fault. It's not his fault. It's just it's just theircumstances. Yeah. I mean, if you watch, like watch these games, it's kind of it's kind of interesting to watch how they're covering him.
Speaker 3: We talked about this. I think you want you had to because you were in a Monday. Henry was here too, had to be on a Monday when he Texas Tech. Imagine how the season's trajectory would have would have worked out had he not lost that ball. Yeah, when they got punched in at fifty or forty whatever, it was driving and they would have had some you know some I don't even want to use that word.
Speaker 5: They would have been rolling, right, they had a rhythm, any confidence. Well, you know, they win that game, you know, does it is it different? I don't know. I still think it's more injuries than anything else, and mostly injuries on defense. But I think that the thing that Henry was alluding to was the fact that the way that he's being covered, I mean they got him over the top, they got him over to the side, they got him across the middle. I mean they're double triple team in him every single play. They just don't have anyone. They just don't have anybody else that they need to worry about, which is the struggle. I think they if they had a couple other threats, I think that it'd be it opened up a lot right now.
Speaker 4: NFL Week twelve was yesterday. The Packers defeated the Niners thirty eight to ten. And the Niners are now lost in the NFC West.
Speaker 5: And they're good, and they're good. Well you think they're good, but maybe they're used to think so. I don't know. Well they didn't. Party was out, but party's been in and they still lost. They still lost. I will tell you this, the most interesting play that I've that I've heard about is Jerry Jones has got to has to sign Daniel Jones, has to do it, bring him in, see what he does with that. I mean, they're not going to make the Cowboys aren't going to make the playoffs again. I mean, it's not like they're going to go on a roll and some make the playoffs. Bringing Daniel Jones and just embarrassing the hell out of the Giants. I'd love to see Daniel Jones go in and start playing, playing, playing some good ball all of a sudden, you know, uh, resurrecting like uh Darnold and Mayfield. Mayfield. Boy Mayfield certainly is letting people know that, Uh, the Browns cut him and it takes a while to become that player, right, It's been a while. He's been around a few times. Yeah, the guy that looks really impressive. But I don't think you're a bruncle. Guy is the Knicks kid Morgan, although I really liked him. Yeah, yeah, I mean the guy is just a winner. He just loves playing football. He's also your age, I think, yeah, yeah, he's uh, he's pretty old. Yeah, but that's what you I don't old young whatever. He does exactly what you need.
Speaker 4: I remember when they came here Oregon two years ago. He was really impressive. Simple good. Yeah, It's like it's like a flag. What did you like about flag? He was kind of simple good to me. Just did the right things, moved well at the ball, took the right shot right, played solid basketball. It's all about fundamentally solid.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you go. The but that Knicks is absolutely fun of the mentally solid. A lot of people saying he's going past Daniels on the Rookie of the Year next come up. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 7: Well there's also Bowers of the tight end.
Speaker 5: He's been really good. Powers Yeah, Bowers is like he's been unbelievable. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: The Eagles defeated the Rams thirty seven to twenty on Sunday Night Football. Saquon Barkley ran for two hundred and fifty five yards and is now on pace to break Eric Dickerson's record for most rushing yards in a single season.
Speaker 5: Well, and he's Philadelphia's going like, what the hello of the Giants? The Giants. Well, that's the thing about it. I mean, the Giants decided, Okay, we're gonna keep Daniel Jones, we're gonna pay Daniel Jones Daniel Jones money, and we're gonna get rid of Saquon Barklay. How's that working out for you? That's what I'm saying. If if Daniel Jones goes over to the Cowboys and all of a sudden starts winning and blowing it out, they may vote to kill him and kill the Giants, just like, get rid of them, put them out of our misery.
Speaker 3: Well, you're from New York. Ours in New York doing the Jets the Giants.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my my grandma is a big Giants fan.
Speaker 5: So have you called her lately? They say, you love, Yes, I'm really sorry about grandma. I mean it's like, but it's like it's gonna get better. What them? Them and the Jets? What are what are terrible organizations? Organizationally, they're they're struggling.
Speaker 4: The Seahawks beat the Cardinals sixteen to six and are now in first place in the NFC West.
Speaker 5: How boring is that division? I don't know, there's nobody that is really that good. They just kind of keep playing. Just said dumb question, even though I kind of follow. Who's the best team in the NFC right now? Probably the well, yeah, because the pers Yeah, I know the Lions, Packers question. Packers are playing. Yeah, the Lions. They went pretty big. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Baltimore team that I've been on to win it all the place tonight, so we'll see.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Do you like you like the I do like the Dolphins. I do like the Dolphins. Yeah, I'll tell you what. You sit there and you look the Ravens. You're like, how can these guys not be the best team because that's what they do, and then they go out and then they don't. It's like, yeah, we'll see how they do today. Of course, I hope Henry doesn't get more than ten points in fantasy so I finally can win. We'll see about that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Monday Night football tonight at six fifteen, the Ravens at seven and four will be visiting the Chargers at seven and three for the hardball ball Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Okay, what are you liking this game? Baltimore? Of course, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that I got them. I got them at ten, but then I got them at six. I think they're back up to about eight now because they lost a couple of games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean seven and four. I cannot believe that there's seven and four the Steelers. I mean there was this was the Steelers lost, right, Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they lost the Browns.
Speaker 5: They lost. That was a goofy game with that snow boy, it was hard hard to keep track of that. But uh yeah, the uh well the Steelers know the Steelers playing good ball too. They're just winning. That defense is tough, so it'll be uh. I think that's going to be a good division. We had college football on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Ohio State defeated Indiana thirty eight two fifteen to hand Indiana their first loss of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, that wasn't even a good game. Does that make Indiana not a real contender for this or oh it is? Who is twelve teams? Yeah, there's it is kind of tough. I mean everyone seems to be flailing away. Ohio State keeps running at it. Notre Dame crushed Army. I mean, but you know, we'll it was. It was disappointing for Farming, but boy, Notre Dame look really good. Wow, they're just so fast on defense.
Speaker 4: Alabama fell to Oklahoma twenty four to two. Three to fall to eight and three on the season. Just makes you wonder.
Speaker 5: It's like, on does the SEC still demand that you get six of their teams in? You know, even though they have three losses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gotta see how the rest of the schedule plays out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'll be pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: ASU defeated by U twenty eight to twenty three and are now in first place in the Big twelve.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable. Yeah, and they were picked last, picked last.
Speaker 3: We're gonna find out more about the situation from Doug Haller here in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It tells you a lot about the sportswriters. Huh. Yeah, what do you know?
Speaker 3: I've said this all the time. There's no such thing as as experts, even collectively. Even worse, they know what they know from the previous years. Yeah, and who who would have thought that Dillingham would put this team where they're at right now?
Speaker 5: But good for him put together. They did. We'll see they have not locked up CO Championship game, Big twelve Championship game. Birth yea.
Speaker 4: Now because four teams have two losses and them in BYU have the tiebreakers over Colorado and Iowa State.
Speaker 5: Wow. And then each team has one game left. Yeah. Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 7: That's all I got.
Speaker 5: Okay, anything else going on? Maybe it'll take some calls.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to give us a call, please do five, two zero, four, one, six seventy four forty. We'll take a call or two in the time that we have left before the next break. We're going to talk to Doug Holler from the athletic in Phoenix. So we'll talk about a s U.
Speaker 5: He knows about Uba, talked about basketball, football and all the good stuff. Okay, So if you want to call, please do. Yeah. I'd love to talk to somebody and get their insights. Here. You're gonna say something, you look that you're gonna let me know about something, Okay. They So if they all.
Speaker 7: Win and they can, then it would be a s U and B y U.
Speaker 5: S U and B y U in the in the championship that's in Kansas City, I think so. Yeah, that's that'd be a boying game. Who would have fucked all that stuff? I gotta play the game, right, s U s you by this last week just.
Speaker 3: To me, and I've said this all along, guys, that you can train in coaching matters. Coaching matters, even if you have a mediocre team or whatever. They could play out of their mind if they enjoy the coach treat. To my point with with you, you still Brandon still has them. How can you say that they don't right until you until down the roads as well. Yeah, it's like someone you guys weren't here for the seventy to seven. He didn't have that team for a long time, and you can kind of tell, right, but no one never wrote about it. No one ever talked about it until the end of the year. When you say, yeah, he didn't have this team because they didn't want to play for him, you can just tell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, no, I mean, I'll tell you what, man, that last game that we lost, what seventy to seven? Yeah, I cannot believe. I mean and understand that he got fired after that game. I'd have fired that dude to havetime. I was jokingly thought he may not come out of that lock. I was. I was. I'm telling you someone right now. I was so upset because those players were not trying. No, they weren't tackling. No, there's a guy that the ASU player comes running into the defensive back just turns and lets the guy go in the end zone and puts his hands on him. And it's like going, Okay, these these guys are done. He's quit. Yeah, and someone wasn't doing any cat. I'll tell you what, I've never been so angry again before in my life. I saw him. I saw him later in the UH in the airport and uh when when? When was that? It was I was wearing an Arizona UH Arizona shirt and I saw him in the airport and he's like going, uh, oh tough. You know we had we had just lost a game. And he goes, oh, tough loss. And I was about to say, well, thanks to you, but I was like, I just kipped it in because it's like, I know that would have just escalated.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, there's nine one one. There's a fight in the exactly at the airport here.
Speaker 5: Arizona Arizona fan is beat beating the hell out of someone. We're gonna give him a couple of minutes before we break this up. Yeah, it was I'll tell you what. That was terrible.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing that because I think you think you can take him. But that's okay, Yeah, both limp like you guys. You guys could win a race in the race because we have a hard time.
Speaker 5: Run him down. I wouldn't be able to run him down. But boy, I tell you what, I hope he doesn't get on me right again. If you want to call that, don't call.
Speaker 3: We got about two three minutes, so we'll talk to Doug Holler here in a few minutes about what's going on.
Speaker 5: Anything else.
Speaker 3: The women's basketball team they split over the weekend, right, Uh, Williams didn't play against any of you.
Speaker 5: That was a horrible lost, horrible loss. And then they won yesterday I think it was yesterday, Saturday, Saturday night. Yeah, okay, So UA plays Wednesday afternoon right after the show, h Thursday, and then Friday out in the Bahamas. Uh, you were talking about, Oh, you didn't talk about the Yukon game or did we say that publicly?
Speaker 8: We did?
Speaker 5: We did? We did? They lost the Memphis who else is playing right now? On Mali.
Speaker 4: I think it's Colorado and Michigan State. That's the overt start of that bracket. Okay, yeah, that's when it's official. It's officially basketball season. When the Mali Classic was started. Absolutely, yeah, it starts a season. Start start early. Now that it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 5: Yeah it does. It does seem like a little bit early that we're getting these things going. But yeah, you know what, it's what makes it fun. You know. It's that's what I tell you when you look back. I mean a lot at the Indiana undefeated season, which we were a kid one hundred years ago. Now that seventy six. Yeah, it's like it's six seventy six, Yeah, something like that, seventy five or some Yeah, but you sit there and it's like, it makes you realize how amazing, yeah, it was to be able to go through a season because even the UCLA teams. Yeah even yeah, even with the UCLA. But boy, I'll tell you what, it's you just can't do it. I don't think you can do it anymore.
Speaker 3: No too much no, no too much parody, I mean not even parody. It's just takes one bad day and you're done. Yeah, you got somebody not shooting well and it's over. How about that playoff? You're talking about the playoff and you're You're like, you're irish. Where are they sitting right now? They're they're up well, depends on where you're aut there up to four. I don't know how you could rate Penn State above them. I mean, Penn State is would el stinko and they they've they've only they've only played it one decent team and that's Ohio State.
Speaker 5: And so you're Irish just kind of got under the raidar well. Everyone wrote them off after they lost to Northern Illinois. They're like, oh, they lost the Northern Illinois. Forget it, They're out forget you know, we're never gonna see them again. And what they've done since then is just beat the hell out of people. Their quarterback I don't consider him the greatest passer in the world, but boy, that dude can run. And they got a running game, and they got a line and they got a defense. So yeah, they might be missing a dimension of being being perfect, but they are really good on all sides of the ball. Let's take the break now, we can go and get ahold of Doug and talk more about issue. Yeah, that'll be good.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 8: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try?
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock You found out the amount and color I needed and boom. It was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 5: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot School and a false four season are in full stride.
Speaker 12: Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps. Sports are long sleeve follos and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season For over one thousand fun items to choose from some visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon a b k Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs of subjets to change don't notice?
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 5: As one of the leading.
Speaker 12: Card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 5: And trade card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere try Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto.
Speaker 2: Loan is for everyone.
Speaker 14: One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter in your credit score.
Speaker 5: You can borrow better with Pyramid.
Speaker 14: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 8: Gout bugs, termites, mees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitesps or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers, including newa All American Ricky Huntley, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xs and os. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 5: I'm Steve Rivera and today Mike Quinn.
Speaker 3: Now on the Pune, we have Doug Taller from the Athletic Doug, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve? I'm doing great. How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine. Good to hear it from you. How we haven't talked in a while. I've left you alone. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, this is the timing year with basketball starting up. Of course football season, it's spent pretty wild time.
Speaker 3: Right right, so now it's it's beyond wild.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: It looks like a topsy turvy type of season with the ASU team doing what everyone thought the Arizona team would do and vice versa, and here we are. What's the magic that's happened up in Tempe.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how they've turned it around so quickly. I think one thing, the most important thing is is they found the right guy for the job. You can't be around any dillinghand without you know, just it's just feeling good about the direction of the program. And this stretches back to even last season when they were struggling. You know, he just seemed to understand what Arizona State needed to take the next step, and that of course started with fundraising and you know in in IL contributions, which is really increased over the last year. But probably aside from that, the biggest thing would be, you know, they hit on the transfer portal. I mean, that's a difficult thing to do. But if you can hit on most of your guys, then you're gonna maybe have a chance to have success. I think all but if you go through their starting lineup, all but two guys that have transferred in within the last two years, and a lot of them are contributing at a high level. So that's that's kind of how they've gotten here.
Speaker 3: So you've done your job for a long time as I have. And I talk about coaching matters and the kids or the players are playing hard for their coach. It would be hard for me not to believe that they don't play hard for this guy because he shows so much emotion and they have to probably buy I'm just you know, speculating what I know unless I'm there, that they play hard for him because they see that in him that they don't want to disappoint him.
Speaker 2: No, I think you you're accurate. That's that's one hundred percent correct. You know, Kenny has turned into one of the great characters in college football. He's gone viral for a number of different things this year, some positive, most positive, a couple of things that negative. You know, I wrote this past weekend he has a little Steve Spurrier in him. Not so much that he's calling out opponents, but just he he has this boldness to him. You know, he's not afraid, he's honest, he's not afraid to speak his mind. There's not a lot of coaches speak about him and the things I noticed, and you know, I'm not around the program on a daily basis like I used to be. I do a lot of things up here in Phoenix, but if you watch them, uh, there there is a togetherness.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: They play hard for him. I mean there's no not just him, but the entire coaching staff. And I think that's the part of it as well. They play hard for him when they win, and you know, he celebrates just like they do. You know, I mean he's jumping up and down right off the field. Uh. And you could just tell that there's just a connective spirit that's definitely been missing, you know, over obviously over the last couple of years during the herb adverge transition, but maybe going back. Uh. You know, for as long as I have covered as you can, he said all the right things when he got here. You know you've heard those things before. Every reporter has her coach say similar things, but you know he's delivered on a lot of them in a short period of time.
Speaker 3: It's funny because his press conferences are exactly you know what. This may be a bad, uh comparison, but I think I see a lot of Josh Passner in him, and I think, you know, Josh young energetic. The thing about it was with Josh he's not as engaging is not the right word, because he's very engaging. That he has a different Dylham has a different type of uh excitement about him than then than Josh does. But just this this youth of the youth, youth that you got to love because of who He says some great stuff, nil stuff. If you're not bought in you you got to pay for the money, and you know whatever he says, I can't.
Speaker 5: He just seems so like got to do it, You got to do it. All the excitement and like I say, the kids are playing for him and he must be a smart coach too. He is.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a smart coach. Some of the things he's done with his clock management over his two years, you know, taking delay of.
Speaker 5: Game penalty.
Speaker 2: While the clock still runs, when the offense, when one team substitutes, and he has his guys who kind of cot it off the field that they're all leisurely paced. You know, we're just talking about a minute, you know, minute twenty something like that. But in close games that matter. Now, what happened at the end of this last week's game, and it's to be Hyu that was he showed his inexperience. He showed his youth there, which you know, he's only thirty four years old. I think he's done a really Obviously, he's done a great job going from three wins to you know, the doorstep of the Big twelve championship game. But I was aday, there's a lot of room for him to grow, obviously, being as young as he is. He's only his second year as a full time ad coach. But you know, it's one thing to say, to say the things that he's saying, but you also you have to connect with your fan base a little bit. And he's done that as well as anybody, you know. I asked him after a Saturday's game. Saturday news broke that they had gotten their coordinators, uh, three year extensions where they're going to average you know, over you know, a million dollars a year, which is which is big for you know, as you know, schools in the state. And I asked him about that, and he said, yeah, that show is the commitment. But without missing a beat, he just transitioned to our team is underpaid, you know, if you you know where we need help right now, you know, with n I L and keeping these guys here and keeping them happy. So he's really really good at that.
Speaker 5: And so I got to a question for you. You got a team that's you know, three and nine, first year coach, it's blown out by your by your rival. And of course I'm talking about Arizona this year. Okay, even though that was you guys, that was you guys last year. Half of people here are hitting X and everything else talking about firing the coach. What's your advice to them? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean the Arizona situation given the nomah Fafida and CMAC coming back the expectations were so high, given especially how they ended last year. I understand the angst and the frustration, but I do think it's hard for a coaching staff to come in and make their mark. I mean, really, where the UFA coaching staff is going to make their mark going forward is in this offseason and what they can do to bring people in, because I mean, pretty much Steve, everything resets. As you know these days, just because you have a bad year one year doesn't mean that the program is going in the wrong direction. It just means you had a bad year and now you know you have a chance to get it right. Whereas before, you know, you can put together a recruiting class B, maybe bring in a couple of transfers, but it was the process. You know, it was a two or three year deal. It doesn't have to be that anymore. And you have to look about at the finances for making the coaching change and what that's going to do. You know, I would think unless things are just there's stuff, you know, or spilling out of the locker room, that this is just a disaster and you know, we need to make this change before we need to blow this thing up, because it's not going to get any better. You know, I would wait to see one more year, how the off season goes, how they kind of continue to build that foundation going into the next year and maybe the year after that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So, I was reading to Twitter. I really to read Twitter because I hate Twitter. But Paula, who we both know, made an observation over the weekend just about just how far ASU has come over the years. You've been there for a while. I've been here forever, and I've always said that Arizona kind of scened over the last couple of years, that they think they were going in the right direction. How it was in the ninety five nineties when they're really doing well basketball, football, other sports, softball, winning some big, good championships, stuff like that, and then then this happens. But a issue has come a long way from when I don't know, ten years twelve years ago. Look at where they're at, even in basketball, which you know they're still making baby steps, but they're making those steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think a lot of it, particularly up here, has just been administrative support. You know. Michael Crowe has been criticized heavily, particularly the last few years, about his commitment to athletics, he was against you know, he wasn't he didn't like a transfer portal. He was against nil Initially he was not. I think it's well reported he was. He did not really want to jump to the Big twelve. You know, he's been in his situation, he's been in position for a long time. He has this way of doing things, and it took him a while to kind of come around. Now that they have and they kind of embraced all the changes in college athletics, I think you're seeing the results. But at the same time, I mean, as you mentioned ASU's history, it's always been like, you know, once every four years of presidential election, you know, they peak, they have a ten win season in football, they get to the NCAA tournaments basketball, and they just can't sustain it. So you know, this year is this year, and it's great, but you know, next year, as I mentioned earlier, everything in resets and the key will be or then to keep their staff together, you know, to continue to build and see where it takes them.
Speaker 3: Right right, I think resets the perfect word. Let's talk about reset. Arizona basketball has has done what it has done over the last few years. We know, under Tommy and then you see what they've done the last two weeks, and you're thinking, and I really like this team. I thought he put the pieces together that would work. And then you see two games You're thinking, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 5: Did you see the Duke games?
Speaker 13: I did?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 2: I think it's as you know, it's it's it's dangerous to kind of draw conclusions on the basketball team in November, you know, I kind of I'm concerned about Kale Love a little bit and his struggles in big moments, but I do know that I do like how that team is built. And I also think that Duke is incredibly impressive with some of their young kids. Yeah, I mean they are. I would be really surprised if Duke's not, you know, right there at the end with a chance to win the national title. They they really got a lot of things going. But you know, I wish I could have gone down. We had a couple of writers there for the athletic and that built on McHale. But I really wanted to be there because I just wanted to see the atmosphere because obviously McHale is such a great place to watch college basketball anyway, But I knew I knew that Duke was going to raise that a couple of matches, so I really wish I couldn't. I've asked around, I've heard was a great atmosphere. I sink you were there.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was exactly what you say.
Speaker 3: They just didn't get their moneys were because it was a hot ticket and do probably kind of owned them from from about the first After the first five minutes it was over.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you you don't see that happen to Arizona basketball teams. So we'll see, and I totally agree. It's November.
Speaker 5: Talk to me in March, as we always do, and then we'll say, well, what the hell this happened?
Speaker 3: How did that happen? We didn't see that in November? Right, So what do you think this weekend? A big game down here? And you've seen enough of these to know that the underdog typically shows up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand. I think a lot of people who are familiar with the Territorial Cup history up here are nervous for and I would say, rightfully, so, Uh, you know it's when the team has nothing to play for except for this game. That's a dangerous opponent. And you know Arizona State has gotten a lot of publicity lately, and you know, there's a lot of positive energy and people are looking at and in the media as well, already looking forward at, looking at Big Tel Big twelve championship game scenarios, tiebreakers, you know, can ASU get into the playoff hunt? But I will say, you know, the last time this happened, I believe it was two thousand and thirteen, fourteen, and I get my years mixed up. You know, ASU had a game on campus against Notre Dame, huge game, probably the last biggest game they've had up until this Saturday. They won that, and everyone did the same thing, started looking forward to started calculating college football playoff chances and all that, and then they went to Oregon State and lost two five seventeen if I remember right. So, you know, everybody is well aware of what could happen in this game. I don't look at it as you know, what is a su an eight point favorite? Sect you out right? Yeah, yeah, you know, I wouldn't trust any of that going into this game. It's just one of those games that you just don't know what to expect.
Speaker 3: Right, No, because Arizona still has you assume, because we know this Arizona has talent, they're just not playing to any kind of talent they have. And and maybe that one day they show up and it works, and who knows what happens is you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm not I'm not connected down there enough to know like what the vibe of the locker room is. But I also think, you know, if it's a situation where they feel like they have to play for the coaching staff, you know, that could raise uh you know, the that could raise their performance a little bit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, if they're not uh really down with how things have gone, uh, you know, they may be over it already, you know it just you know, from what I've seen, that doesn't seem to be the case. But you know, if a team we I remember a team that you know, an a SU team that went down there and with you know, a chance to reach ball eligibility, and that was when rich Rod just blew the socks out of them. And I think I think that ASU team had a little bit of top gram fatigue at that time and just you know, just didn't have it in them to go out there and uh, you know, meet the high intensity of a rivalry game.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, here we are. We'll see you Saturday.
Speaker 2: I will be down on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks a bunch as usual, and we'll probably see you after Saturday. A couple of basketball games. This Big twelve should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, I said, I told someone today, I haven't been, you know, locally, just excited about a basketball season in a while, just because I don't know what's expect I mean, normally, you look at Okay, you kind of figure not, you know, can Arizona be Oregon? At Oregon? Can they be Utah? But now I don't know how the two Desert schools fit into the Big twelve. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that fits.
Speaker 5: Right. Every week we can say can they be Houston? Can they be Baylor?
Speaker 7: Can they be right right right right?
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks Doug, appreciate you. All right, thanks for having me, Doug call it from the.
Speaker 3: Athletic and let's take a break and then we'll talk more. Maybe get a call or three. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been since that'sul for nearly forty years.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 5: And your life. We off a complete.
Speaker 15: Line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 16: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college PEMA community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tuson Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note Caampbele or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you he told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousands.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I want to take part in the show. Call up Steve now went five to two oh four seventy four.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Bavera. You're not Steve, You're Mike Quin.
Speaker 5: That's Steve. I'm trying to be Mike.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm looking for a I was looking for a Santa Santa for this Christmas. Can you can I train? I train all year to be Santa. Well, we got to the Bobby for it. You have the suit for it.
Speaker 5: I don't have the suit that if I had bought the suit, then I'd be doing it all the time, like I'd be doing it all day. I don't have any beard. I don't have the beard. I think when I got the beard, but it would be like the cool Santa. Yeah no, yeah, yeah, ugly Santa. They Uh no, I I I've played Santa number of times.
Speaker 3: Okay, unfortunately, Okay, guys, Hey we got we get about fifteen minutes. If you guys want to call five to zero, four one, six, seventy four forty, I guess you're too pissed to call yeah to to this point, don't want to talk about sports. I lift that phone in call. Yeah, lift the phone. I'll tell you how old I am. Lift the phone. You haven't lifted the phone a lot time? Lifted the phone?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, it's uh you gotta.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I still believe, and I've said this for a month, and Henry's listened to me often enough and probably you too much, that the guys are playing hard for their coach. But this weekend, I'll play hard for their coach. And there's still there's still a talented group. They're they're talented and just maybe one magical day, they pay hard for the coach and they beat a issue. I still gave you a tip that Arizona would be duke last week, So don't.
Speaker 5: Don't you did give me that tip the But I will tell you I do believe that they're gonna play hard. I mean, I don't think this this team if I you know, I watched them play, this team is not going to roll over.
Speaker 3: Especially this game. I mean, you've been through four. You weren't here for the Summling game, right, No, that was your last you're still freshman or high school in high school? Yeah, so you're what two and two and one? Yeah, two and one, two and one could end up two and two. But they always play well. Whoever's the end of all? Always are you said.
Speaker 5: From the BEGINO? I mean when we were here in the beginning, it matters. I mean, twenty years from now, you're going to be like, on, hey, what was the record when you're there? When I was when I was it, No, I was giving you. I was playing Devil's advocate for that. But I mean, you have a bad year, Oh what'd you do this? That year? We sucked, but we did be days you. Yeah, I mean it matters, It really matters, and so in anything, you know, you say, anything can happen, but anything did. I mean I was here when we lost that game seven and six and we were killing them. We were so much better than a SCU so much better, and we're just like, yeah, well, you know, it's like they'll never score on our defense. Next to you know, the pot the big player. It's like, oops, we lose seven to six. The you don't get to win by a lot, But you just gotta you know, like you've said, and we've said a number of times, it's not like we don't have talent on this team. I mean, this is a talented team. Still, even though you have a bunch of injuries, I still think they have enough. Yeah, I mean they they have enough to win this. To Kobe, everybody, to Kobe's not Cody's point is the receiver to receiver two. They don't have a receiver two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hunter, he's been good in the last couple of years. He's right, but like they don't even really have a receiver three. Also, even when he stepped.
Speaker 5: Up, yeah and tight ends that have they gone to them much?
Speaker 4: Not really, right, I mean, Burnett had like a couple of really good weeks and then throwing the ball do right.
Speaker 7: And last year they always used tight ends.
Speaker 5: So sure, sure we were probably wrong in expectations new coach players coming back. I still think the coaches matter, and that's where I'll start. There's no doubt that coaching matters. I mean, and certainly the way it is. But you know, like I was trying to allude to here, it's like going last year, Arizona State was three and nine. Okay, they had a brand new coach, brand new system. They got blowed out by Arizona in the in the Territorial Cup game. And this year they're turned it around me because they stuck with their coach and they believed in their coach. Worth three and nine or somewhere around there, right, yeah, four and we're playing We're playing against Arizona State. I don't think we're gonna get blown out.
Speaker 3: How much do you think but at il is affecting this team or most teams? And I'm saying this because we know that the guys are getting paid. I don't know how much they're getting paid, but how much how much do you think it's a factory, and how well they're being not paid, how well they're playing.
Speaker 5: I don't know. You could sit there and say, well, wait a minute, where we're gonna be the best team that money can buy? Right, And there are teams out there. Oregon is one of the best teams of money can buy. But then I think that they're play though you still have to play the game. I think that there are teams out there that have a couple of guys that are making some money and everybody else is it and it's not good in terms.
Speaker 3: Of I totally agree with that. I totally agree with you. Let me ask, no, i'd have to go personal with you. I'll do it generically. So I know you and I joke about income discrepancy, and you you you're well off, you know much more than me. So so in your world of being well off or being comfortable stay comfortable, did you ever concern yourself with the other people that you work with that were comfortable in a similar position? Unfair question, because really, well, I spent twenty five years in the army, so yeah, I was making some money as a as an officer in the army. But you're always concerned about your soldiers and what they're doing and how they're making it. I'm talking about the other place when I was like when I was here esewhere, when I was not in the army.
Speaker 5: Yes, not as much. You know what I'm saying. I do my counterparts making acts and I'm doing the same job and yah YadA, YadA, or my job is just as important and I should be making just as much as that. You see it in the workforce place. Yeah, I mean I I there was there certainly was some of that. You know, they're it's like when this kid is making more. Yeah, uh, the line is busy for some reason. People are trying to call it. Let me go ahead and talk. I'm gonna, We're gonna. So I do think that there are people that are interested in like going, hey, this person's making more than I'm making. I think that teams are getting better about spreading the wealth, everybody getting a little bit of the piece. There's always been this thing about you know, the quarterbacks, the big deal and the big shot on the team, and then they get all the limelight, and there's been that there's been some of that jealousy that goes around with it, and how can it not be well, there's got to be a little bit of that. It's like going, you know, hey, I'm I'm you know, but you know, it's like you're the straw that stirs the drink, you know. I mean Sanders, kids don't care about Sanders and Hunter. Sanders and Hunter are the straw stirs the drink at Colorado. And I think that there are a lot of folks on that team that are like that are acknowledged that. You know, it's like they're the ones that are going to be making the money. But I think that they're doing a better job of spreading the well. Well, you bring up a point.
Speaker 3: You bring up a point that the straw to drink was seventy in the mid seventies, late seventies with Dale Strawberry Jackson with Reggie Reggie, and the players resented who he was while they resented Reggie Jackson because Reggie Jackson, okay, certainly resented.
Speaker 5: That's part of it, though, that is part of it. It depends on how you act, Okay, So I think it more in the individual than it's the nail. Now, I will say this, what Nil's gonna do is really gonna, you know, move people around. Okay, I mean you got the transfer portal that are you know, moving people around. People are gonna move and Doug he used the perfect word. Uh, it's reset, right each year you have to So we thought we thought, okay, that what was going to happen was everyone was going to gravitate towards certain places. You were going to have this nil was going to drive everybody to Alabama or everybody to usc Okay, where the money was. That's where they're all going to go. Success and money, yeah, success, well money, I mean it's gonna be Let me wet this guy that just left LSU to for Michigan because uh Ellert Ellerson, Ellerson, Ellison Ellison, the guy for Oracle. Uh put up ten million dollars for this guy. So here you go. So let me let me tell you this.
Speaker 3: And to the guys that here are students, Okay, Arizona continues to decline, they already lost them guy to Florida.
Speaker 5: This today commitment. So so if you continue to decline, graduate or otherwise and you don't have a you're not a place that has a lot of money. Where's this going to turn into or what is this going to turn into? New Mexico? I know, I will tell you that there's a lot of talent out there. You're finding teams. I mean, think about it. You got Indiana, Indiana. Come on, Indiana's not sitting there. I mean when we sat there and came up with this nil and this transfer portal, people weren't going to go, oh, this is gonna be the rise of Indiana. That's this Indiana's going to be able to turn around. That's why coaching matters. Boise State, Okay, Boise States. Where all the money is, then it's gonna really matter. No, Look, it is something that what we are finding is that there are teams out there that are finding these diamonds in the rough. They're paying these kids. Okay, not you know, they may not be paying them are huch Manny money or jair Urs Sanders money, but they're you know, but they're paying these guys, and these guys are playing. So I think that's the interesting thing about this uh postonal environment is the fact that we're finally getting I mean, we're getting teams that we didn't think we're going to always be the winners that are playing really really well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that's the surprising surprising thing for me. Yeah, apparently, I know we're having in trouble with the phones. A couple of people have texted me that they're trying to call them, but it's been busy, trying to get their notice so we can call them. Yeah, and that's what they're saying, that it's been busy. We had that problem when we first got in. How do we get ahold of the two we call them? Right, So we got to call the people that are trying to call us. No, Troy called us eventually got it. Yeah, okay, but we are having trouble with the people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, been busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, try again, if you'd like to try five to two hurt maybe it'll get through. But we don't know what's going on with the phone. Yeah, yeah, definitely like to hear from people. Yeah, I know a couple of people have text.
Speaker 5: Because there's a lot of there's a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff going on, a lot of a lot of a lot of a lot of takes that can be taken out of this, you know. Yeah, I had a guy send me a note today is like going, you know, we'd be better off if if we just didn't play Caleb at all. Of course, what's that guy do for a living? Well, he doesn't coach basket Okay, Yeah, that's silly, that's silly. Yeah, well I don't know, are we you know? Is it auditioned by subtraction? Well that was the whole thing. When when he decided to come back, and everybody was excited, I'm sorry to say I wasn't that excited.
Speaker 3: I wasn't because some dude went to another recruit, went to went to Phoenix, went to Issue. They would have been fine without him. And I'm not saying he's the reason why they're doing what they're doing.
Speaker 5: I don't. Yeah, I don't think he's the reason they're doing it. He's too good of a player. But when you wait for somebody, and or when when you have somebody, it'd be nice to get it. Yeah, I'm just gonna try to do something. We got to call. We're gonna try to call somebody. Uh go ahead and talk. Yeah, the Uh, well it'll I think it'll be interesting to see kind of where he goes and what happens next with with Kle how he shows up in this in this next game. Maybe maybe the Sea Breezes will do better in the pajamas. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if he continues this, though, if he continues this, you've got to start saying, okay, maybe it's time to kind of get you off the bench. Maybe be the spark that you need to be, the Pelee Larson that had been there for the last two three years. Come out of the bench, get this, get the juices flowing and things like that in the movement another place. Yeah, yeah, couldn't hurt, right, Yeah, I mean put him, put them, put him back in point guard.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Hey, we got a call on the air. Hey you're on the air. Who's this? Hey, Steve, this is done? How you doing don Thanks? Thanks for trying to Hey, how you doing done? Hey? Oh all right, you got two minutes?
Speaker 6: Two minutes with this nil deal, I guess with with that money that all the school they're gonna have to start paying out and then they're gonna lower the roster numbers. That's going to free up more people to play for the lesser rich schools.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so, I think that's.
Speaker 6: That's gonna that's gonna disseminate more of the talent. Like Mike was saying, and if if if you got coaches that got a good eye, you're gonna be able to get some steals out there. And if you and if you set up if if if Arizona is to set up the collective where look, we're gonna give you some money so you can live while you're here, but you're still gonna have to do your part, get your degree, move on and we can still be here.
Speaker 5: I went to a trade school.
Speaker 6: They had they had employment, you know, services for me after I left and everything. I could go back if I needed help trying to find.
Speaker 5: A job whatever.
Speaker 6: Then you know you could do something like that. And if you can do that and make make make a culture of having a program that takes care of your people.
Speaker 5: Well done. Do you do you shop at Ross dressed for lesser Marshalls. That's what you're talking about. That's what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: That's not That's not true, Steve, That is not true, because you know rich Rod had okg's that won.
Speaker 5: The PAC twelve South.
Speaker 6: He told me was doing it with Dick Tomy, was doing it with guys that Bill Walsh said he would just hold him off and throw him on the field. Arizona has always done this.
Speaker 5: How often has that successful? How often has this been successful? You know, it.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the thing is now that now that you're going to be able to pay, guys aren't going to have to go and get the old style nil money that has always been there. I mean, I've I've heard stories at the barbershop. It was going on here in the early eighties, it was going on at Arizona in the early eighties. There's there's always.
Speaker 5: Been n I l oh, sure, of course.
Speaker 6: So so now you know, because you know Aydon got paid, that's that happened. Yeah, yeah, breaking news, you know, from six years ago. But still I mean because some people don't believe it. But some people still don't believe it.
Speaker 5: But I think with it's exactly to your point, Janty, I don't think anybody had Jentt on their radar. I mean, who had them in their Bengal card? Who for Janty? The guy from Boise State. Yeah, I mean it's like, I mean, when you wouldn't you try and get that guy in if you knew about him, but you didn't.
Speaker 6: You didn't because there's so many kids out there there, there is so much.
Speaker 5: Talent out there. Well you guess what you turn into.
Speaker 3: Arizona of the nineteen whatever was that's what you turn because Arizona's gonna be.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, is if you can build a culture where you can attract guys and say, hey, look, this is if we became a four year school instead of having to you know, beg these guys and and beg them and give them a raise to try to keep them, you know. And I and I just hope that at some point, either the n c a A or the or Congress or somebody does something because this is ridiculous. It's not supposed it wasn't supposed to be pro ball.
Speaker 5: We gotta go. We gotta go.
Speaker 3: Thank you, donn if we give brother into the coffee, Thanks, good points, take care guys. Yeah, we gotta go see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Thanks,