Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: How's it going.
Speaker 1: I dropped off a little bit there, but but I'm back. The fog is lifted. I sent you a picture of the fog because you you love the fog. But the fog is lifted, lifted in blue sky, Sonny, So that's nice.
Speaker 2: You said it's not warm though, it's no.
Speaker 3: It's like sixty sixty degrees for the high here all week. Let's see what it is, right, it's fifty three right now.
Speaker 2: It's not bad. It's going to be It's going to be eighty plus here in Burbanks.
Speaker 3: Struggle really is that the ugliness of the bee.
Speaker 2: Does not what is b e WHOA? What was that?
Speaker 1: But it sounds I don't want to hear more about her personal struggle, please, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what that is. Yeah, eighty degrees in Burbank today.
Speaker 4: I think tomorrow is supposed to be the warmest day of the week here in southern California, and then it changes significantly again. We'll go back to some potential for rain over the weekend, even some snow in the mountains.
Speaker 1: So hey, what's worse do you think on a flight sitting next to somebody who's really loud, really chatty, maybe even belligerent, somebody who's just, oh my god, shut up, or somebody who's dead, like, honest to god, dead with a blanket over them and you're sitting next to them the whole flight.
Speaker 3: I choose dead.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting I reading that story. We'll get into it when we do. Terror in the Sky is coming up at ten thirty. But I thought about it. It depends on where I'm going. I think, why, Well, if I'm doing a business trip, like if we're flying to Chicago to go to a convention, that's not.
Speaker 3: Really a business trip, will go on?
Speaker 2: I mean, but I got a week of work ahead of me.
Speaker 1: Okay again not really work, but anyway, go ahead, I'm sorry, Or am I going to King Kun?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Or you would rather you'd so walk me through your your thought process.
Speaker 2: Well, see, rather.
Speaker 1: The dead person going on the business trip and the loud guy going to Cancun or what?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, because they're not going to harsh my buzz if I'm going on a work trip. You're not going to harsh my buzz by being dead sitting next to me for the two and a half hour flight. But if you are dead and you're going to Cancun, I'm going to be thinking about dead people the whole time. And like, poor families got to go to Cancun to pick up the body, how do they get it back?
Speaker 1: I feel like the loud, annoying, chatty guy would ruin my buzz more than a dead person. A dead person's just sitting there, dead, nice and quiet.
Speaker 3: No, you don't have to look at them. They got a blanket over their face.
Speaker 2: Because your trajectory, you're going on vacation.
Speaker 4: You're also up and excited about vacation, and that guy probably wouldn't you know, you might rise to meet the loud, chatty, drunk guy.
Speaker 3: No you won't.
Speaker 1: You're going to You're not going to rise to meet him. You have nothing in common with him. He's chatting about nothing.
Speaker 2: Well, no, you're changing.
Speaker 4: There was a guy you're saying that now, I don't have anything in common with person.
Speaker 1: There was a guy on the flight when we went to Phoenix to see the Savannah bananas, and this guy in the row ahead of us, would not sh shut up. And again, it's a very quick flight to Phoenix, right, what forty five minutes something like that. Very quick flight, no problem. But this guy was a loud talker. He would not shut up, just talking about inane things to the woman next to him was who also was a brain stem, who also had nothing interesting to say. And he's getting off the plane and I have my noise canceling headphones on and I'm still listening to this guy just ramble, just will not shut up about the anyway. So we land, we're getting off the plane and he says to the man next to him, because this is the weekend before super Bowl, right, so this is the Friday or Saturday morning before Super Bowl and super Bowl comes up or whatever is. People are getting off the plane and the chatty guy says to the guy who's on the eye aisle seat the woman's in between, he says, oh, you're gonna watch the super Bowl. And the guy in the aisles like, yeah, you know, I do like the Eagles, And the chatty guy says the Eagles, Well, it's the Redskins that are playing. The guy in the aisle goes, no, it's it's the Eagles, And the chatty guy says, well, are you sure about that? Because I think like he was going to double down on something that the world had known for two weeks.
Speaker 2: I love that he was going to.
Speaker 1: Double down on that and tell that other guy that he was wrong despite not having any idea who was playing in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the kind of guy. I would have rather had him be dead.
Speaker 2: Would you have killed him just to shut him up?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying to prove my point.
Speaker 2: That is funny.
Speaker 4: We had a guy sitting behind us at one of the spring training games this weekend, and my friend and I are longtime baseball fans, so it's and I've gone with him to spring training before, and his son was with us this time, and his fun son's not a U baseball guy, but he's he wanted to hang out with us. The kid sits the kid guy sits next to us behind us and is just constantly talking the entire time about the game and talking about which players are good and which players are bad. Why it is that Cleveland had to change their name from Indians to Guardians. Who you know, Mike Trout, is this and everything, and he was just off and I mean, he got about seventy percent of it right. But your point is that he was adamant. He was adamant about every single point that he was making. And every once in a while, my friend and I would look at each other and just be like, no, got that one wrong, No got that one right. But because because because no one else in his group, you know, he's there with a girlfriend and I think her parents, and it sounded like it was kind of the first time or one of the first times that they'd all hung out together, and they would turn and ask him, like, well, they can they challenge the play when they're at second base and he's like, well, of course they can, because they have cameras in second base.
Speaker 2: No they don't. They don't do that in spring training. I mean, just stuff like that. But he was very very confident about his answers.
Speaker 1: I pray to God that one day I'm the kind of person who has patience to not call someone out on that, to just sit there politely and be like huh okay, you know, and not be like, actually, you're wrong because of this, this and this. Well, and it was funny, yeah, yeah, exactly same thing, exactly the same thing.
Speaker 4: There was a guy sitting right in front of us, you know, so he's two rows away, but he can hear I mean, the guy is just loud and constantly talking, which was annoying. But even this old guy who's sitting in front of us Cleveland Guardians spring training ticket hold a season ticket or whatever it is, because he's a huge fan. But he moved to Arizona, so he's there for every spring training game. Even he was like, you could hear him audibly going.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, what is this guy talking about?
Speaker 4: And it was great because everything that would have been me, everybody in the in the area that kind of knew enough about baseball to know that he was wrong about stuff.
Speaker 2: We were having a blast. We're just that's more entertaining than.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny, that's funny. That's a bonding experience right there.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's great.
Speaker 4: At the bottom of this hour is an interesting look at sex torsion scams. You know, you somehow get convinced to send somebody some nudes and then they turn around and use them against you to try to make money off of you.
Speaker 1: This is such a chilling story because you think about teenage boys and they have no choice but to be dialed into wanting sex.
Speaker 3: That's just nature.
Speaker 1: That's just how boys at that age are programmed into thinking about women and the body and there. But like the whole thing and the fact that there's scammers trying to get these kids and then get them to kill themselves. I mean, this isn't the first time we've done this story, but it's something that's picking up speed and more and more teenage boys are being netted by this.
Speaker 3: So I'm just eating.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's very handle of you. Wow, Holy mackerel. He should be ashamed, all right.
Speaker 1: So the deadline for federal workers that Elon Musk gave them was what midnight last night, right. He told federal workers last night via x that they did have another chance to justify.
Speaker 3: Their work or lose their jobs.
Speaker 1: Employees that multiple federal agencies had been told to disregard that initial directive.
Speaker 3: The White House kind of backed.
Speaker 1: Off, and he did say that now that they will have another chance. He said, failure to respond a second time will result in termination. I don't know how he would have the power to make that call to terminate vast amounts of federal workers like that. But he has not provided a new deadline.
Speaker 4: No, and he doesn't have the power to do that. But what the And this is again I mentioned this yesterday. This is kind of what he's learned to do from Trump, and Trump has learned to do from Musk, which is walk in there with a giant sledgehammer and just start breaking stuff and see what happens. He doesn't have the power to fire anybody, which is why he told everybody to see see their direct supervisors on these emails with these five bullets. But your point was some of the agencies have said don't worry about replying to them. For example, Rachel Scott from ABC News says there's confusion now at one agency, Health in Human Services.
Speaker 6: The Department of Health and Human Services sent competing messages, at first telling employees to respond to the email, then six hours later telling them not to respond, and finally telling workers they can respond if they want to, but warning they should assume that what you write will be read by malign foreign actors. And Taylor responds accordingly.
Speaker 4: And that's why things like the Department of Justice has come out and specifically said, hey, you have any sensitive things don't even bother replying to the email. We don't need we don't want to risk any sort of intelligence or classify information getting out.
Speaker 3: And you should know that.
Speaker 1: I mean, the people who said to ignore the email are this, like you said, the Justice Department, the FBI, the State Department, the Pentagon, Department of Energy, Department of Homeland Security, and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. If you work for those departments, you probably have enough cells to go ahead and say, hey, this is I'm going to disregard this, right, and you're next in commandatorily.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yes, Others including the Department of Transportation, the Education Department, Department of Commerce, National Transportation Safety Board, they all told their workers that they should comply.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there are some agencies who are like, hey, this is a good idea. Maybe we do this weekly. Maybe maybe we start asking people every week.
Speaker 1: Right, And like I said yesterday, there's a lot of companies that do that already. I mean, I was surprised that the federal government didn't already do that, with the amount of bureaucracy involved and the amount of redundancy and people just getting into each other's business. Surprise that that wasn't already in place.
Speaker 4: So Trump hosted French President Macron at the White House yesterday. But this did come up, this email or now I guess a couple at least one email and then some posts on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Is this the right way to go about doing it? He said, it was great.
Speaker 1: We have people that.
Speaker 8: Don't show up to work and nobody even knows if they work for the government. So by asking the question, tell us what you did this week, what he's doing is saying are you actually working?
Speaker 2: And then if you don't.
Speaker 8: Answer, like you're sort of semi fired or you fired semi fi because a lot of people are not answering because they don't even exist. They're trying to find That's how badly various parts of our government were run by it, especially by this last group.
Speaker 4: And again one of the things that Elon Musk pointed out as to why he would do this is he believes that there are thousands, maybe more people who are getting checks from the government but don't actually either exist or they're not alive, and that this is one of the ways that people are, you know, taking advantage of the just the largess of a two point three million person federal bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: Well, and like we said, it's just so baseline. Send five things you did in the past week. You know, everyone can do that. We can all everyone listening, we can all do that. We can say five things we've done for work in the past week. That is an easy thing. And to your point, he said that the email was basically a check to see if an employee had a pulse.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, it's kind.
Speaker 1: Of I understand the thinking of who the hell does this guy think he is asking me, being my accountability boss, all of this just because he's this billionaire, you know, multi billionaire with tons of money, and you know, Trump's best friend, and who the hell is he to check up on me and what I'm doing and that's between me and my higher ups and all of that.
Speaker 3: I understand that. But just send the email. Just just do that.
Speaker 1: Have that vent session I would, but then just send the emails. It takes you a minute because that way you prove you're alive. No one's going to go through it with a fine toothed comb. You know, he just said, let's make sure people have a pulse and are capable of applying to an email. And the vast amount of emails. I mean, I don't know the thousands or hundreds of thousands of people this was sent to.
Speaker 4: Two three million, they said, okay, like two million roughly, because the two point three there may be some who don't have government emails that are run through the Officer of Personnel Management stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So who are the people going through these emails anyway? I mean, this seems like all bluster to me.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's I mean, that's part of the giant sledgehammer that they come in with and then kind of backfiel the information. They've said that along with the email that goes to your direct supervisor, that some of the emails would then be scanned by a large language model AI to determine if in fact you wrote it yourself or if you know you can justify your work.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they programmed the AI to determine whether or not you've justified your work in these five bullet points, but it just it does seem like, just just do your five bullet points.
Speaker 2: Stop, stop complaining and lighten your hair on.
Speaker 3: Explain all you want, but send the email.
Speaker 2: That's what I would do. Complain in the email if you like, but still but still do it.
Speaker 3: Just send it who you know?
Speaker 2: Come on, listen, this this story.
Speaker 4: We mentioned this, These these sextortion scams that are now taking advantage of and targeting, specifically targeting teenage boys. I can't think of a better I know everybody went crazy when and overreacted when I said I had a nineteen point phone contract with my kids. This is exactly the kind of thing I never wanted my kids to have to get caught up in.
Speaker 7: Hey dang, Shannon love this talk about the airplanes blurgerns versus dead And I've been on an airplane where there's been a dead person, and I've been on them where there's been blurdering people. I'll take the blur jerr one. The reason why is you can find a way to laugh at them. But also the dead person doesn't just sit there quietly. There are noises that are made, and there are smells that are unbelievable, And I would just say I don't want to be near a dead person for any amount of time on the airplane. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I didn't think about that part the smells and what the body does when it is expired.
Speaker 2: Listen, it doesn't necessarily way, but it depends on those lengths.
Speaker 1: But if you're on a four hour flight, man that that body is going to start smelling right.
Speaker 9: Now that football's over. I'd like to go your opinion on some viewership stats. So season four of the Real Housewives of New York City Tephany Frankls last season of course you quit the first.
Speaker 7: Time had almost two million viewers.
Speaker 9: The end of season thirteen with all the O g's and fifty thousand viewers, and now the new season two and fifty thousand view She's a fifteen OKA like your opinion, Thanks, But okay.
Speaker 1: My opinion is this New York City Housewives has always been kind of trash. It was good in its infancy, like season four was probably peak New York City Housewives, but the new people they got are awful, and I just I have not I have not found anything about them to be interesting or relatable. Maybe it's an East coast West coast thing, but I found the first women of New York City to be more relatable and interesting and a train wreck. But the latest people are just unwatchable. I agree with the numbers. I'm kind of a loyalist. I stick to Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and of course my favorite Real Housewives of Orange County.
Speaker 3: But I'm sorry, Am I still talking about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know why.
Speaker 3: He asked.
Speaker 4: He did, he asked, He asked, Okay, we've talked about this technology contract before that. I had both of our kids sign before we gave them phones, and it was just basic rules about you know, being courteous, put your phone down when you're at dinner, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm interested to see though, that was a really long time ago. That was that was about ten years ago. The way that phones have what is the right word insidiously planted themselves in children and in us has grown exponentially in ten years. Just think about yourself alone and how much you looked at your phone, touched your phone, thought about your phone ten years ago to now.
Speaker 3: It's a huge divide. It's a huge difference.
Speaker 1: And while I applaud your contract, I just don't know this day and age how that is going to work. I mean, I still applaud it, but I just don't know anymore about how how you could do that, how you could separate the kid from the phone so much. I mean, I don't know. They say that teens are relying more on online friends than ever. They feel very comfortable disclosing information to an online friend that they may not tell a physical one. This is not occurring to me. This is according to Melissa Strobel. She's a vice president of Research and Insights at Thorn. It's a tech nonprofit organization. It creates things like your phone contract, creates products to shield children from sexual abuse and online specifically.
Speaker 4: That next statistic is what just it should punch people directly in the face.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, more than one in three minors reported having an online sexual interaction one in three.
Speaker 4: And you don't when you're that age, you don't know what to do with it. I mean, listen, I loved your point in the last segment about boys in that age range. I mean girls to a degree, but not like boys. Boys are just hormones at that point, that's all. And they don't know what to do with it, and they don't know how to control it, and they don't know how to get sex, and they, I mean all of these they simply don't know. And then when you add the layer of technology to it, where it's not just a trickle of sexual information. It's a fire hose of sexual information or opportunity. Now it's not real opportunity, but it surely feels like it's an opportunity to some of these kids.
Speaker 1: They say financial sex stortion because this does have.
Speaker 3: A financial element.
Speaker 1: This is not just cruel for being the sake of cruel and trying to net kids for the sake of embarrassing them. It's about getting money out of this, like all good cruks want to do, it's to extort people using their emotions. Unfortunate, all of this interaction online with kids and adults makes it that much easier. Financial sex stortion is the fastest growing cybercrime targeting children in America.
Speaker 3: It has been around.
Speaker 1: Probably for decades, but in years past people didn't have the terminology or the resources to report it. Now it is being reported, and in the years since the pandemic, it has exploded, because what did the pandemic do? It put us in our rooms, if her kids in their rooms and on their screens, and we can talk to we're blue in the face about how detrimental that was and how detrimental.
Speaker 3: It will be for their probably entire lives.
Speaker 1: But this is one of the things that was able to grow in that environment.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean your point.
Speaker 4: It cemented the necessity of having the device around all the time.
Speaker 3: It made it okay.
Speaker 1: It told your kids it's okay to go in your room and be on your screens all day because that's where you're learning. Do you think they were learning the whole time? Probably not, listen. I'm not a parent, so I don't know. To me, it looks like it takes more energy than I'll ever have in my entire life all put together, for one day of being a parent. And I get how it would be easier for me to know that my kid is in their room and they're learning, and they're doing all their zoom classes and whatever and cool, I won't even think about it, But what else is going on in there? And it's not parents' fault, you know, all the time.
Speaker 3: But it's like we all.
Speaker 1: Said as a society to kids, it's okay to be on your screens for freaking twelve hours a day because that's the only way you're going to learn.
Speaker 3: And when you're giving them okay.
Speaker 1: It's like when we were growing up playing video games, where like we knew that it was fun, we felt like maybe there might be something wrong with it, Like after an hour of playing Super Mario Brothers, I kind of felt like I was being a little too decatent, Like is there something wrong with me watching the screen for so long? Probably like you had that ingrained in you. We said it was okay for them to just look at screens for that long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it doesn't it's you can't go back on that. That's hard to pull them away once you've took.
Speaker 3: It's an addiction and now it has Now it has roots.
Speaker 4: We've been talking about this, this big headline that came out today from USA today regarding nude photo scams that target these teenage boys, and there repairs to be.
Speaker 1: A script like it's a lot of it's from Nigeria, kind of like the new version of the Prints that needs your mom's.
Speaker 4: Help, right, and it's it starts out innocently enough, where you know, you get a message from somebody that says something like, hey, I found your page through some friends and we should we should hang out, we should talk chat whatever it is, and then the bad person, boy, girl, whatever, the predator will then drive the conversation to sex pretty quickly, and then in a lot of cases, just send unsolicited nudes.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Again, for a boy, most of the time they're trying to entice him with naked pictures of a young girl. So then they entice the boy. Hey, send me some nudes of yourself once they.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, boys, women aren't built the same way you are men.
Speaker 3: Boys are more visual people.
Speaker 1: Right, Teenage girls are not going to be clamoring to see pictures of you naked.
Speaker 3: That's never going to be a thing. It's never going to be a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, they're playing to the boy's fantasy.
Speaker 1: I know, but I'm just saying that's not a thing. Well, women are dying to see what your penis looks. It's just not a thing.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you. It's hard to turn off that fantasy. That's I know.
Speaker 1: But that's why I'm just trying to get it out there as a PSA.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: The brain works very differently.
Speaker 1: As much as you think that you want to see a girl, that you want to see a girl naked or her parts or what have you. That is that is one hundred percent accurate in the way your brain works. If a girl is clamoring to see you, there should be a red flag that goes up in your head.
Speaker 4: Well, that's when the blackmail starts, because the scammers will say, now I've got everything I need to blackmail you.
Speaker 2: I've got everything to ruin your life.
Speaker 4: I have all of the screenshots of your followers and the tags everybody who comments on your post, your WhatsApp contact list, whatever it is, and I'm going to send these images to them, or you're going to send me money, one of the two things that happens. But again, the things to watch out for is very very First of all, not if it goes to sex right away, it's too good to be true.
Speaker 3: But again to.
Speaker 1: Your point, how do you tell a teenage boy that that's the fantasy that's like, oh my god, it went to sex right away, Yes, this is the mecca.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They also they call it a romance scam on steroids that within an hour these images are exchanged and within an hour they're demanding mone I mean the whole thing from start to finish, from is this really happening to this is happening to you? Give me money or else I tell your parents and I share this with your with your sister and your brother, all happens.
Speaker 2: Within an hour, we got a comment from somebody.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon, my twenty five year old son got caught up in this scam. The woman in quotes sent a picture of herself. He of course reciprocated. The next thing I know, he's calling me, freaking out that this person was going to spread his photos through all of his WhatsApp contacts. I reassured him that probably this was a scam and happening to other people. Of course, nothing other came out of it, but it was a great lesson for him to learn, and he never will do it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a hard lesson to learn. Thankfully, this guy was able to get away and didn't have all these images out there. There are tools now that exist to help kind of claw back some of those images from the internet, but it is a hard, hard job to get all of them.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that she called in and said that he was twenty five, because I was thinking about my my comment about girl girls do not want to see pictures of men naked or boys naked. I can definitely attest to that. I think probably I would have said before I heard her call and her comment that women about twenty five probably, I think that's a safe age to say they might want to start seeing it. You know, but girls who are in high school they want nothing to they don't want to know what's what's going on there for the most part ever, ever, you know what I mean, Like, that's.
Speaker 3: Just not it's just not something that I don't know what raised.
Speaker 2: Like you said, we are brains.
Speaker 1: You thought in high school that girls wanted to see you naked?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's not That's not what I'm saying. I'm just I don't thinking. Okay, if you did thought to it.
Speaker 3: It's just I'm just saying they did not.
Speaker 4: I didn't see any I don't know any girls who snuck looks at Playgirl magazine.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly my point? Yeah, exact, Thank you Bingo.
Speaker 2: All right, the Wildfire Reacher.
Speaker 3: I was at.
Speaker 1: Least thirty until I got into Playgirl, and then after that Watch Out Look.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, now I got like sixteen subscriptions.
Speaker 4: Well, the Wildfire Recovery costs and whether or not we're gonna be ready for the Olympics that's coming up next. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP