Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I'll say it again. I say it every year. It's just the way things work as you get old. January takes seven years, February takes less than half a day. It's just the way it is every freaking year. Have you ever put alcohol in your raw milk? Apparently this is a thing, especially in southern California and the ad community. We will get into that delicacy coming up this hour.
Speaker 2: It's called uh pajarette. Paharette comes from the root word pajaro, which is a bird. It gives you a lift.
Speaker 3: Paharete Spanish lesson for the day.
Speaker 1: That's all already had paharetta today?
Speaker 3: No I have not, but hey, the day is young, it's nice lunchtime.
Speaker 1: Yet you never know what utter you're going to run into and throw a little rubbing alcohol into that vat.
Speaker 2: I wanted to read number thirteen on my technology contract, just in the context of the story we were talking about the nude photo scams. This was a contract that both my kids had to sign and before we allowed them to have a phone. So when they were early teens. So my son's twenty five now. So it says do not send or receive pictures of your private parts or anyone else's private parts. Don't laugh. Someday you will be tempted to do this despite your high intelligence. It is risky and could ruin your teenage slash college slash adult life. It is always a bad idea. Cyberspace is vast and more powerful than you, and it is hard to make anything of this magnitude disappear, including a bad reputation.
Speaker 1: Very well said, Very prescient too, considering when that contract was written. It was probably about the time when you and your wife realized that you guys could send each other, you know, pictures of your parts.
Speaker 2: That was in fact, it may have been that same day. Yeah, right, yeah, I'm sure that's the way it went. The Olympics is coming up, the Olympics in twenty twenty eight here in Los Angeles, and there are some questions about whether or not the wildfire recovery costs are going to have any impact on the preparations for the Olympics in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's not just about that it's also about the permitting process. And when you're going through the permitting process, as many people, well, no, you kind of have to get in line. And if they are going to be putting up temporary venues, I mean, LA is dialed in when it comes to venues. We have a lot of venues that they call it a no bild Olympics because we've got you know, the Rose Bowl and the Colisseum and so far we've got all of these different centers and places, you know UCLA where the Olympic Village can be like we've done before. So it really is kind of low maintenance when it comes to what we do have to build is a city for the Olympics as opposed to other cities and what they need to do to get ready for this kind of production. But when it comes to construction for some of the temporary venues, they're probably going to be moved to the front of the line when it comes to the permitting process. And then that's when you get into the conversation of all the people who lost their homes and will there be a separate process and how are you going to streamline that. That's something that should have already been addressed if it has not already been as well.
Speaker 2: And there is a potential silver lining to the Olympics coming so closely on the heels of arguably the worst natural disaster we've had in the state of California, and that is the attention that comes to Los Angeles. The billions of dollars believe that they believe will be spent here, the tax implications of that, allowing for more rebuilding and recovery. It's not a guarantee, but remember the last time they did hold the Olympics here in eighty four. It's considered to be really the only profitable Olympics in modern history. Part of the reason was why I didn't know this until I saw this today. In nineteen eighty four, LA was the only city to bid on holding the Olympics, I mean previous to it. When they obviously awarded the eighty four they were the only so they could they could negotiate a great deal. And two one hundred million dollars is not a giant profit margin on an event the size of the Olympics. But this, you know, this no guarantee that even as a no billed Olympics, where we're not dumping millions, if not billions, into these giant venues. There's no guarantee that you make money on this, even if you do spend billions of dollars, or I should say even if the expectation is billions of dollars would be spent by people who are coming here, businesses that want to set up here and take advantage of the Olympics for a couple of weeks, well Olympics and Paralympics, so basically a month.
Speaker 1: When you look at what the temporary venues will be, it looks like Long Beach will be home to the temporary aquatic center that'll host the you know, artistic swimming, water polo things like that. They're going to use the Equestrian Center in Temecula for one of the temporary venues. But again, we've got a lot of we've got a lot of stadiums here.
Speaker 2: And the Olympics when they asked a couple of months ago that they would use Oklahoma City as the head as the center of their softball competition, you know, just around the corner from lah they said.
Speaker 1: The Olympic Village will be spread across multiple areas of La Harbor Area, LA Waterfront, LA Convention Center, Dodger Stadium, the Los Angeles waterfront. What the hell are you talking about? Well, because they say the harbor area, which you know what that is. It's not really a heart. You don't really think of it as a harbor area. But anyway, the Los Angeles waterfront.
Speaker 2: I guess if you assume you know what La looks like, and you know the ocean is right there, if you're not from here, you do assume that there's a beautiful waterfront area.
Speaker 1: I think they mean, like Sam Pedro, is what they mean that.
Speaker 2: Maybe speaking of permits, though you mentioned that we're doing something. We're changing the footprint of our hot tub. As dumb as that sounds, I have to get my notarized signature on a permit through the county tell the red day.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if you lost your home, it would be that on steroids. It's so maddening and it's so frustrating, the hoops that you have to jump through to get permits for every little thing, every little thing these days, and that, and I mean, you add that headache on top of losing your home and your family being displaced, and where do you put them? And do you have the money, And I mean that's that would be like the last draw, right when you get everything together to rebuild, and suddenly you got to go through all that paperwork and those hoops and the signatures and draw, Oh my goodness, move.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't I can't imagine the number of people who are just like I'm done with California after this, and they're just out, We'll just leave.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much that's California or LA County, or how much that's everywhere, how much that's based on litigation that has been causing problems in terms of Yeah, if you used to be Abel, you want to build a barn out back, build a barn out back. Now it's a big freaking federal case. You can't just build a barn. I want to build a barn. It's so funny. DJ Daniel Jeremiah worked for NFL Network, very busy this time of year with the Combine. He's their draft analyst. He has this dream of a barn in the backyard and he talks about it all the time, like, I really want to build a barn in the backyard. Now, Daniel, he is not He is not somebody who is into woodworking, nor raising animals or any sort of thing like that. He just likes the idea of having a barn, to which his wife has put the kebash on that. But I too think it sounds really cool to have a barn in the backyard. Like I'm gonna be out in the barn. Where are you going, honey? I just got some stuff to do in the barn.
Speaker 2: You know, you can always rent a barn or find a property that already has a barn.
Speaker 1: Rent a barn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you could. Probably, I'm sure you could get one of those like bouncy houses that looks like a barn.
Speaker 1: You're ruining the barn.
Speaker 3: I didn't know I could.
Speaker 1: No self respecting woman has a rental barn.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever heard you say those words, and I.
Speaker 4: Don't think that, Hey, Garyan Shannon buenos So. I had had it in Guerli school when I was in high school. It was horrible. We had to be at the ranch by five am. They milk the cow in front of you, pour it with alcohol, caine, alcohol, and coffee.
Speaker 1: It just.
Speaker 4: Not far someone that was raised there, I guess.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, so I'm calling regarding the and if you do the site, and I would, I would say try it, but don't try it or don't let us don't let us see it be done, try it once it's done, because my first time it didn't look good. And once I tried it, I wanted to go get I wanted to go get more.
Speaker 3: Okay, two different takes on this.
Speaker 1: It's just like the menudo soup, Like I don't want to see them make it right with the with the cow's stomach. I don't want to see the raw milk come from the utter. I just I have no frame of reference on what caine alcohol is. It just sounds like you know, a white Russian. Right, you put a little milk, you put a little alcohol, Boom, there's a cocktail.
Speaker 2: Uh right, Except always dicey.
Speaker 1: I thought it was always a little dicey for the old GI tract, like mixing dairy with alcohol just didn't seem like a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Grandma never got it right, so why would why would you adventure with it? Now? Again? It's it's.
Speaker 3: It's it's milk and literally.
Speaker 2: A stream of fresh out of the utter body temperature milk, raw milk with that instant coffee that sounds great, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a hefty shot of alcohol.
Speaker 3: They can Yeah, just the cane alcohol. Think what is kane alcohol?
Speaker 1: Oh? Ever clear?
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's almost pure alcohol.
Speaker 4: Oh god?
Speaker 2: So uh there's that the froth reached the top of the cup, and there's different variations on it, but it is very traditional and like the woman said, in the state of Jalisco, they refer to fresh milk on its own as lech bronca wild milk. And then when you put alcohol in it, like cane alcohol or tequila, it's associated with promoting vitality and good health. Some ranchers use it and it becomes their basic breakfast before they go work.
Speaker 3: On the land for the next nine to twelve hours.
Speaker 1: I have a question because nothing about pure alcohol makes me want to go pick up my scythe and tend to the field. Right that sound I just go for the straight coffee at that point, Right doesn't that make you or give you energy? I don't know, you never work old coffee or something or I have, but like at a football game, if I had a full days of manual labor, I would not be drinking alcohol first thing, because I'd be worthless. I would not want to go work for manually like that.
Speaker 2: I'm actually surprised that this has not come up as a drink that you could get somewhere in southern California.
Speaker 1: It will, it will, it will, It will enter the circuit. Now that this article has been written, there will be like a bougie way to have one of these at every cocktail part.
Speaker 2: I mean, in all honesty, it's not I mean the ingredients, if you, you know, kind of adjust them. It's the idea of it being warm sounds awful, and the raw milk thing is always a shot in the dark.
Speaker 1: But I guess it's the alcohol that kills the stuff and the raw milk that could kill you.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's I don't think that's necessarily how it works, But.
Speaker 3: I mean the raw milk.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I could totally see you drinking raw milk out of everybody I know in my life. If there was one person I'd put at the top of the list for who could drink milk out of an udder, it would be you, just because I think your gut could handle it, and I don't think you'd be weirded out by it.
Speaker 2: I'm not weirded out by by raw milk. I mean that part of it, like if the bottled raw milk or less past riser, however you want to say it. That part I'm not bothered with. It's the it's still warm that gets me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean babies like warm milk, Yes, they do, because it's right out of the utter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 1: I put you at the top of my list for fresh utter milk, and I'd put Tim Conway Junior at the bottom of my list for people that would drink milk right out of the udder.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right. What about John Cobel? Where does John fit into that?
Speaker 1: He's closer to you. I think he wouldn't be bothered by it, Okay, I think he'd just get Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know where you're going with that one. That was too easy.
Speaker 2: I saw that car coming down the road.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll come back.
Speaker 2: And we've got some terror in the skies, including one that just happened today.
Speaker 3: Do you hear about the astro Yes?
Speaker 1: What asteroid? Is it coming? Please? Please please say yus, please say us.
Speaker 2: Sorry, the asteroid that everybody was worried about twenty twenty four. Y are four has been downgraded once again. You remember it was like one point four percent and they bumped it to two and then three. Now it has a four to one thousandths of a percent chance of hitting the planet.
Speaker 1: So you're saying there's still a chance.
Speaker 2: Yes, technically, technically there is still a still a chance. I was Dodgers our host and the Mariners today in spring training. Angels are visiting the padres. Talking to the new boss yesterday as I was walking out, and he's from the Arizona area, and he asked me how spring training was, and I said, well, it doesn't get any better. You know, eighty degrees in the shade is a great way to watch a baseball game. And he said it right now, Arizona is just God's Country for the next like maybe ten days. It's just unbelievably beautiful.
Speaker 3: There's so gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's just a great place. I mean, that's why they do it there is because they have twenty nine thirty guaranteed days of sunshine almost but give it ten days and it's just gonna be unbearable.
Speaker 1: Uh does our new boss. I don't know enough about him. My mom was asking, you haven't talked about your new boss. Who's your new boss? And I was like, I don't really know him that well. I know he's a Chiefs fan, seems like a really nice guy. But is he a baseball fan?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You didn't ask him in this conversation.
Speaker 3: We were talking about weather, we were talking with you.
Speaker 1: Only talked about yourself. You only talked about yourself.
Speaker 3: I see, Wait, myself, I was talking about the web asked.
Speaker 1: Him a question about him, like, what, like, do you like baseball?
Speaker 3: I guess I could have. It's time for terroring this guys.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm projecting.
Speaker 2: Victor. No g I have handed with these mulkey pine snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's terror in the skies on KFO. Well, there was already a close call this morning at Chicago Midway. A Southwest Airlines plane and a private jet had what they referred to as a close call at Midway.
Speaker 1: I was just watching this video. In the break you can see the Southwest plane it's landing and maybe fifty yards away. I can't tell because of the optical illusion of the angle, but there is a much smaller jet crossing the runway that the Southwest plane is landing on. So they're perpendicular, and the Southwest pilot basically touches down, wheels, touched down, and immediately touches back up to take off again because cees he's not going to clear that plane. I mean, this is what you expect pilots to do, to have the wherewithal to do, but it's nice to see it in real time.
Speaker 2: Well, that's one of the things that they've got to be ready for every time they land because of something like this. This. You know, this may never happen in this pilot's career ever again, but that one time that it does happen, you want them to be ready to do it, and that they were able to, like you said, take off again if it's even considered a take off. They were just touch and go. They went around and were able to land safely a short time a short time later. No real word yet on who screwed this up. Is this FAA, is this Air Traffic Control? Is it one of the pilots? We simply don't know, but it's one of those that it's close enough that the NTSB does run a report on this whole thing. You mentioned this couple earlier on a flight from Australia to caught Her. Mitchell and Jennifer were on a caught Her Airways flight from Melbourne, Australia to Doha. About ten hours into the flight, a woman comes out of the bathroom and dies right in front of them, and Mitchell said, the flight crew did everything they could, but then they put the just to resuscitate her and they couldn't, so she did. The flight crew then put her body in an empty seat next to Mitchell and Jennifer for the remaining four hours of the flight.
Speaker 1: Do we have the audio of them of the saying these couple, No, because I did see that they did an interview and I didn't listen to it. I meant to go back and listen to it because in like the freeze frame of the interview, they looked just like matter of fact, like dude to do, Yes, we were on a flight and we sat next to a dead person for for four hours.
Speaker 3: Or what have you.
Speaker 1: They looked like they were just like having their morning cup of coffee and just talking about the weather or what have you.
Speaker 2: I mean, is this one of those things that's you know, rain on your wedding day, it's guaranteed that you're going to have a good marriage or something like that, where somebody dies on your plane and you're on your way to vacation. It's gonna be a great vacation because it.
Speaker 1: Makes for a great story. I mean, i'd do it alone for the story. Sit next to a dead person.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would want to. My wife is pretty okay with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more, she's much better than most of us when it comes to things that make you cringe.
Speaker 2: Well, And I mean she would not only do it out of like, man, it's just a dead body. It's not like anything's going to happen, but she would also do it because she would I am assuming she would want to make sure that whoever the family is that knows that Grandma's not making it that she was taken care of in her after care or whatever they say. I don't know, but I mean it was a great question you asked earlier, which was would you rather sit next to someone dead for four hours or sit next to someone who is just loud and over talkative and oversharing and maybe overserved and all of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I hadn't taken into account what happens to the body in the death.
Speaker 2: Well, I also think that.
Speaker 1: I mean, again, in my experience, I leave the room, or I'm in a room adjacent to the dead body, I've never really seen what goes on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you're there in the moments. I mean, I had the unfortunate pleasure. I'll say this, it was it was an honor to be able to help escort both of my parents into their afterlives.
Speaker 3: Yes, none of that happened.
Speaker 1: No, And I wonder what the protocol is. I mean, that's good for you. I'm glad that that's what they would have wanted for you as well. But they also weren't at thirty thousand feet sitting upright?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point those all, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Like, what happens the body when it's in compression thirty thousand miles in a tin can? How does that change things? And what would be the protocol moving forward for flights? Like if someone dies, are you just stuck when you're in thirteen C if they bought the ticket of thirteen D like you, it's just like a roulette wheel at that point? Well, sorry, well, is there somebody like your wife who can raise their hand and say it's okay. I'll take the dead woman put her next to me.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if it got to be an issue, like if the couple was like, there is absolutely no way I cannot do it, I'm gonna freak out. Then I'm sure they would probably find a way to mix them around. But there's you know, there might be somebody that's got medical professional on board who's used to that. You know that they not that they like it, but they are at least used to sitting next to somebody who's dead. I don't know, I don't know. There was also a United Airlines flight that was forced to make an emergency landing at Newark today. Flight fifteen forty four took off from Newark headed to Vegas, but the plane turned around after an arrow after an hour in the air, and return to Newark because of an unspecified mechanical problem. So that's another one. Once you get to Vegas after that delay, you're at the craps table and you're telling this funny story about how it took you nine hours to fly from new Work to Vegas or something.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody married more than about sixty years I think before they shuffle off this mortal coil. But there's a company called longevia Quest, a global database that tracks the life and times of the words world's oldest people. And of course this couple looks like they hate each other. According to them, Manuel an Jelm Dino is one hundred and five and his wife Maria de Sousa Dino is one hundred and one, and that they as of the fifth of February, so that's twenty days ago, married, eighty four years and seventy seven days. So assuming that both Manuel and Maria are still alive, that's eighty four days, eighty four years and ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Days that they have been married the longest.
Speaker 1: Too long, married, way too long.
Speaker 2: How long would you give your husband?
Speaker 1: What do you mean.
Speaker 2: Before you let him go, before you decided that he's been around you too long, and you give him permission to just walk away.
Speaker 1: Let my hostage go.
Speaker 2: I mean, then you lose all the leverage that you have at that point, right.
Speaker 1: No, it's interesting. I was watching Love is Blind, where you learn all the great lessons of long lasting love and romance and commitment, and there was a couple who's getting married after meeting in the pods. Anyway, the girls' parents they met at fourteen and fifteen and have been together ever since. My parents got married, well, they met when they were seventeen and nineteen and got married. I mean, there are people that do this and it's kind of just you know, it works because you grow up together, you are from the same areas, you you live the same way or you know, it's just it's different. I think what ages you get together. I mean, if you get together later in life, you're already set in your own ways. You already have differences, you already have different ways of doing things. So you're probably gonna butt heads more often than people who have been together for what'd you say, eighty four years? These two people, I mean, you've been together for sixty years. At what point are you just like, you know what, I'm tired of you? That just doesn't happen. It's like that already happened, if that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: The previous record for longest living marriage was held by an American couple, Herbert and Zelmira Zelmira great right name. They were married for eighty six years and two hundred and ninety days until Herbert passed away in February of twenty eleven. The longest ever marriage recorded was that of David Hiller born in seventeen eighty nine Sarah Hiller born in seventeen ninety ninety two. That couple was married for eighty eight years and three hundred in forty nine days until Sarah died at the age of one hundred and six. Yikes. I mean, it's one thing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: You have a realization at some point in your marriage, and it's usually within the twenty year range where you think to yourself, I've spent more time with my spouse than I did without my spouse and my wife and I had that realization a few years ago. Whatever it was, and it wasn't even as I mean it was. It was happy. We've had a happy marriage. That's not it. But it was one of those. It was a realization of, boy, you're in it now, aren't you? Like you you ain't get Wow.
Speaker 1: That's romantic. Look at you. Wow, you're in it now, aren't you. As your wife's looking around for the nearest belcon you to throw herself off.
Speaker 3: Of or me, she'd throw me first.
Speaker 2: She'd be like do you think so? Oh? Yeah, she'd be like, I have an idea, why don't we do the old murders.
Speaker 3: I'll go first, and you and then I'll jump after.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe, but they do. Listen.
Speaker 2: Here's what here's how they Here's how they spend their time. First of all, Manuel's one hundred and five, so he does a lot of resting. He says.
Speaker 3: He gets up every evening to join his wife for a very special nightly tradition. Not what you're thinking. They sit beside each other, they listen to the.
Speaker 1: Rose Wait a minute on the radio. Tradition is I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then they want to be a little bit of this.
Speaker 2: They watch a stop doing that with you. They listen to the Rosary prayer on the radio, and then they watch a mass on TV. Maria says. Maria says the secret to their long, happy marriage is just love.
Speaker 1: That's I almost said a bad word. She knows that. That's boloney. In separate bathrooms, Maria, you and I both know this. Well, that's actually that's interesting. It's really all you need in life.
Speaker 3: My relationship, my wife and I have never had separate bathrooms.
Speaker 1: That's why she doesn't like you.
Speaker 3: We rich like you all.
Speaker 1: Okay, you are changing the footprint of your hot tub so see yourself out.
Speaker 3: It's an excellent point swamp watch when we come back.
Speaker 2: You miss any part of the show, go back and check out the podcast. You could do it at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or the world's number one podcast app, the iHeartRadio app, or anywhere you find podcasts. Just type in Gary and Shannon back right after this you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.