Speaker 1: Weird thing happened in.
Speaker 2: The weird weird weird.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. It's been a very long few days. We are very uh caffeine pumped, caffeine fueled. Yeah, on a very tight schedule.
Speaker 3: And guys just shot espresso downstairs, like literally right before this.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, well, just just to get this out of the way, I have to say this part. I'm texting Brad and he's like, you know, I'm gonna need a strong coffee in the morning, all right, And I'm like, yeah, me too. Okay, this is my kind of dude comes around, It's like, uh, can we go get a.
Speaker 3: Strong cup of coffee?
Speaker 1: It's just been coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee. So I'm on fumes. But we have a very special guest with us today, our friend Brad Peyton from Los Angeles, who.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I still claim to be a Canadian because I was born and raised there, but for today I'm from Los Angeles. Yeah, okay, tomorrow you're from Canadia. Yeah, right, Are you on fumes too? It's hard to be on fumes when you're excited, is what I find. Yeah, you know, like there's definitely been some lulls. Like at eight o'clock last night, I looked over at Peter and Peter's eyes were like starting to roll back in his head, and I'm like, you look like how I feel like it's been a pretty wild couple of days. I feel good. I feel really good. But yeah, it's pretty awesome trip.
Speaker 1: After you went home last night, we kind of like had a little talk in that living room and I was like, Dad, you know, Emily, Mom, Jenny, Jack, maybe tomorrow we don't go thirteen hours unloading. And I mean it was just all day ba B this connection, this connection.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Yeah, I loved it. I mean it's why I'm here, you know what I mean, Like I loved it. I I think like for me, it's just like getting new experiences, meeting new people who are so genuine. It is always fantastic and a lot of In a lot of ways, it reminded me of where I'm from, which is Newfoundland, Canada, which is very salt of the earth, very friend Like when we walked into your house and everyone was like where huggers, I was like, oh, this reminds me at home, you know, like even the like, uh, the wood interior of the of the house. I was like, I haven't seen this since I was in Newfoundland, you know, because correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't Newfoundland kind of like country, yeah, if you like? You know, so it was known as like a fisheries province until the fisheries died out, like I think in the eighties early nineties. I grew up in the central part of Newfoundland, so I didn't really have much to do with the fisheries, but like very traditional, like Saint John's the city and in Newfounland is the oldest city in North America. Oh, like John Cabot or John Cabot, howeveryone pronounce his name? He arrived at Newfoundland. There's a Viking settlement in Newfoundland. It's a very very old part of the world. And so like when people just ask me to describe it, I'm like, think of Ireland in North America and like, go listen to our accent. I don't have much of an accent. Like, my parents traveled a lot. They really tried to like educate me, like make me read books basically beyond comic books. But it was like they wanted to try to educate me to see outside of my province, because my province is quite kind of small and insular in some ways. It's an island. It's the furthest point of North America as well, so it's an island in the Atlantic. The weather's really harsh, we have really long winters. It's just a very unique existence, I would say, and it breeds a very unique culture. It's very Irish, very Scottish, very English, like very musical. Storytelling, like verbal storytelling is like one of our biggest tradition. So it was just like even in Canada, Newfoundlanders or New Fees as they kind of tallow sometimes it was derogatory before. But I think people I didn't say it wasn't I'm allowed to say it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. No, it was like it was. It's sort of like when I was growing up, if someone called you a new fee, it meant like they're treating you like you're stupid. It's like it's like your redneck. Yeah, it's kind of like that. It is like that's what I At a certain point you kind of like just own it. It's like, you know what, yeah, yeah, a new fee. I mean I didn't say that, we make you a new fee. It's very easy. I would love to be an honorary new fee. What do I have to do? You have to uh, well, we would screech you in is what it's called. Yeah, it's that actual process. Yeah, it's an initiation. It's like jumping in, like the most lovely jumping in. We get you drunk. We forced you to kiss a cod fish on the lips. Sound awesome, and then I think you're a news. There might be some other stuff, but the main thing is drinking. So we have screech is a is a is a rum that comes from came from the Caribbean because they would come up and when they would trade the rum for the fish. Yeah, so like rum is a huge part of our culture. And screech is a Newfoundland rum that came from the Caribbean. So they would screech you in is what it's called. Screeches the name of the rum. It's terrible. It tastes terrible, but we'll make you drink it. Yeah, and so we'll drink the more nicer stuff. But it's like, yeah, they screech you in, they make you kiss a fish, and they go, ah, you're and then everyone just cheers and and and you get wasted with everybody.
Speaker 4: That sounds awesome. It's sound like a very unique place. Yeah, yeah, I've never heard of anything.
Speaker 1: It's like Kentucky of Canada.
Speaker 3: Right, That's what I said, because it was just like so like, you know, we were traditionally we were like uneducated, you know, because what it was is like you had to work for your family to survive. So dads would like take their sons out and they'd become fishermen at like twelve. You're not reading books, you're not learning shit. You're like, I have to feed my family. Yeah, there's a very little point of that, you know, traditionally speaking. It's very different now, but like I felt like when I was a kid, we were coming out of that, like we were shifting to Well, first of all, let me contacts. Newfoundland didn't join Canada until nineteen fifty. Oh wow, we were the last province to join Canada. So like when I was growing up, my grandparents' house had a portrait of the Queen in their living room. Wow, Queen of England. Yeah, they were basically a British colony until nineteen fifty. So it was just it's just it's hard for me to explore. I'm living in la now in the film industry. If I've run into someone who knows about Newfoundland, I'm shocked. Come from Away, change that a little bit. The Broadway musical that's about the town I grew up in, Gander, Come from Away, Come from Away, nine to eleven. All the planes had to land in a small town called Gander, Newfoundland, which is where I was born and raised, And they made a Broadway musical about it, about how nice everybody was because they took in like that, like ten thousand people overnight. Because all those jetliners had to land, they had to move them every day. They were so heavy, and the runway wasn't built for it. They would sink into the cement on the runway because it wasn't built for these massive jets.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know anything about this though, that yeah planes, Emily said it's great, and and oh my god, I kind of heard a little bit.
Speaker 3: You were talking about this with Emily yesterday. But didn't you get arrested by I almost got arrested, Okay, but I would never get caught, my friend.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. I even listening full Yeah, I just kind of heard you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so Oz Fudge the cop in that in that in that play, Yeah, I was like, I was, as you might underage drink when you're like fourteen or fifteen or whatever, like, and so the cop came up and I just went through the bottle of wood. So what are you kids doing? No? You know?
Speaker 1: So is that the guy who was portrayed in the play, the real guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh cool? Yeah, So like when I was watching the play, I was like, I know that guy trest enemy. I did not like him. They're making him look really fun. Was his name right? Yeah? No, That's how I knew because I recognize all the Oz Fudge man Oz Fudge Fudge No. Yeah, And I'm like, how can I get arrested by someone named Oscar.
Speaker 1: And my grandmother gave you fudge this morning?
Speaker 3: That's true, It's true. It sounds like a Willy Walker character. Oz Fudge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's intense.
Speaker 3: It was an interesting It was just it's just like an interesting, very unique place to grow up. I don't take it for granted whatsoever.
Speaker 4: It sounds awesome in a in a very like charming, unique like culture way. It's like a convergence a ton of different culture, I would not be the.
Speaker 3: Way I am. I would not have the point of view I have. I would not if I didn't wasn't raised there and didn't grow up the way I grew up, I just would not be the person I am, and which is an incredibly naive, small town person at my core.
Speaker 1: That's that's amazing, dude, that's really cool. I really do appreciate that quality about you. Like in all of our communication, you've been very upfront about your intentions, and like the first time we talk on the phone, You're like, I'd like to think I'm a good person. And that's stuck with me. You saying that. The more I get to know you on a personal level, I'm like, you know, I'd like to think you're a good person too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I feel like you can just for me. It's like oftentimes you're surrounded by people that are greedy or you're industry self serving, you know, like it's just it is. I get it. Like I moved to a number of cities where people are trying to make it and sometimes they sacrifice some of their humanity or some of their kindness or some of and I have done that along the way. Too, but I've always tried to stay conscientious of it, to like go this is very important to me, to remain a certain way and to not sacrifice certain things. And it's very hard because people are very tricky, and sometimes you get roped in with people you aren't you don't have the best intentions for you, because everyone's out for themselves on some level. And I get that, but I've really, specially in the last couple of years, really focused in on, like I don't want to lose that part of me, Like that's my intuition, is my kind of superpower as a filmmaker, I don't. I'm not really like a book top. I'm a self taught filmmaker. I went to film schools, but I dropped out of all of them, you know, so after like a semester, I didn't stick around long, you know. And so I've had to like find my own way as a filmmaker. And I've watched a lot of people become less successful to me and much more successful to me. And I've also been able to see the price they pay for some of that success. And a lot of the people I've seen who are really successful are just not healthy or happy. Or like they've sacrificed humanity. Yeah, they've sacrificed things in a way. And I don't want to like paint like a negative picture, but it's like some people have flourished and they're they have loads of human and they give back all the time and they're great people too, you know. So just when you're attuned to that, I think, and part of an instinct is a big thing for you. You have to kind of keep your humanity in and make sure you don't lose it, you know, because you can very very easily.
Speaker 1: I do feel that for you, Like I feel that very genuine aura right from you, you know, and I appreciate about I appreciate that about you. Let's talk a little bit about like how you got in the industry. I want to know more about like how you got into Hollywood. How did you start making movies?
Speaker 3: Just kind of generally, yeah, I mean, well, how did I start making movies? I okay, so I didn't have access to like cameras, Like I grew up in a small town at that point, there were like people didn't have video cameras or that I knew one person with a video camera, and so what I when I set out to start to become a filmmaker. I was like, I need to read everything I can. So I read everything I could about everything. I volunteered everywhere I could. I you know, I was peaying on sets. I would do every I would do every job I could do just to get a taste of what it was. But the problem for me was I knew really early on that I wanted to be a director. I just was like, that's I have little interest in anything else besides storytelling. And I also was like not a tech nerd, so I couldn't really operate cameras like well, like I was that last night, yeah, and then your dad's like, here, use this camera and I'm like, I don't know. I'm not that guy like I can turn that on for you and I can tell you how to aim it, and but I'm not that guy. Like I'm not. And it's funny because a lot of people will be like, oh, he's a VFX director, and I'm like, I don't know anything about VFX, Like for what is worth?
Speaker 1: The VFX in the three of your movies that I've recently watched are insane.
Speaker 3: And I think it's because I'm not a VFX person, because there's there's so many VFX people in that pipeline who are talking about VFX and all I'm sitting there going is like that doesn't look real, you know what I mean? Like I shot that thing to go in the mid ground so that you have a real reference you to make that look like that. Yeah, you know. Like so like my approaches, film, something that can go into the frame that's actually filmed and light is actually hitting it, so that when they put the visual effects in, there's something as a litmus test. Yeah, there's a reference where you're like that looks fake, that looks real and it look Visual effects is really hard, and you know you're gonna get criticized about your vfect Like you know, my movies have like a thousand VFFCT shots or six hundred or eight hundred VFFECT shots. It's hard to get them all at the level you want them. But my approach has always been I want realism as much as you can get it. You know. The other thing too, is that like my movies, Atlas was my biggest budget, but like San Andreas was one of those movies where we never felt like we had enough money, Like we were always it was made for like one hundred and fifteen million dollars, which is, like I know, is a lot of money, but it was going up against movies that were made for two hundreds, you know, and I was like, man, so like there was so little waste because I couldn't afford to waste anything. You know, Like there's a lot of movies where you're like cutting like, you know, fifty shots. I didn't maybe cut five because I couldn't afford to spend the extra money on the fifty shots and then cut forty five of them. You know, like you had to keep everything lean and pointed and like very very specific and yeah, so it was like that that taught me how to be a good storyteller as well, where you're just like, okay, you're looking for realism, you're grounding the movie. You can't shoot an absorbite amount of stuff. You don't have the time, you don't have the money, you don't have the resources, and you're still you know, the studio and you're beholding this bit. And my visions tend to be big, like world building visions, so yeah, as epic as I can get them. And then like you know, I remember like on my second movie, on a Journey Too is what it was called. Yeah, yeah, cool. Yeah. So so we all went to Hawaii for the first half, shot all the exteriors and then had a Christmas break and after Ristmas came to Wilmington and shot all the interiors. Here. Where did they do that in Wilming studio?
Speaker 1: The screen gyms. It's no longer. It's by the airport. I don't know if you've seen it. Okay, now used to be screen gyms. It has been sold like last year.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had one of our like big like lizard eggs on the lawn for a while from that a big lot. Yeah yeah yeah, so we had that lot for like three two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll pass it tomorrow and taking you.
Speaker 3: To the airport. Yeah yeah, yeah, that's right. Yeah so it was That was cool. But sorry, what was I saying? The uh you gotta keep it lean and like concise. Yeah. So so yeah, so we shot this little, this very small scene where they crashed this helicopter. This doesn't sound like a small scene. Sorry, it's small as a helicopter. They wake up on a beach on an island. Okay, And I you know, I was I storyboard everything. And so I remember showing the producer was this guy named both Flynn. I showed him the storyboards and I'm like, yeah, so they wake up here and there's like close ups, you know, people waking up. And then I'm gonna do this big helicopter shot of the beach. And he's like, helicopter shot in this scene and I was like yeah, He's like that sounds that sounds like a lot. And I'm like, you want a big movie, right, He's like, yeah, I want a big movie. I was just like, all right, well we're doing a helicopter shot on the beach, you know, like and so it was like a tricky like the way I looked at it was and it would be a digital beach because I would shoot a little plate of the beach. Yeah, put a digital environment, right, And so the way I looked at it was you have to put shots like that in scenes that don't necessarily stereotypically demand that. So the audience very early on goes, oh, this is a big movie. You know, like you're training Yeah, you're training them, you know. I don't even think people would think about it, but like we all were like or the crew was just like helicopter shot in this scene, you know, and I was like, I was like, yeah, we need to set the stage. We're in a big movie now, you know, We're on this mysterious island, this jeweles Verne thing. So yeah. So it's just it's always been like my goal is to make these big stories on these big canvases. And so starting was really hard because there was no resources at all, no cameras, I'd know, money, you know, I was you know, I dropped out of some film schools because I wanted to be a director. So for me, it really started from writing. And I'm not a great writer, but I'm a pretty good writer because I just have written so much at this point. And then I instead of the traditional like, oh, I'd shoot things on the weekend with my friend because I could shoot stuff, and I got myself a little video camera and i'd do a little exercise to kind of learn like what camera movement looked like, and or I would go get a gimbal and kind of move the camera and get a sense of what it was. But then I didn't do a lot of like I didn't make a lot of short films because even if I could figure out a way to shoot it. Then I'm like, how do I edit this? Yeah, I don't have it. I didn't even know anyone with an editing bay. It's not like today where like I know ten people that edit stuff at home. Was not like that, you know, Like, so I didn't have any of those resources. It wasn't as easy to kind of put stuff together on your own. So for me, I stored up that hunger to make something, and then eventually I wrote a grant for the government, which in Canada's really good when you're coming up as an artist. They have a lot of government grants, like you'll get like twelve thousand dollars and fifteen thousand dollars, and you know, as a as like a twenty one year old, twenty year old, you're like twelve thousand dollars, Oh my god, camera activities budget. Yeah it's not like yeah, yeah, it's more a little bit, but it's enough to make a short film. So you know, I made a short film that way. And what I would say is what it did for me was it put me in this headspace that I really benefited from later on, where if I'm going to shoot something, I'm going all in. Yeah, like I am going one hundred percent. I'm giving it my all. It is the only thing I'm doing is this thing, you know, Because it wasn't like, oh, I'll do a little thing here and a little thing here and a little thing here. It was like, no, I can't do these little things. Oh I have twelve thousand dollars. I have to do this one in my mind, big thing, you know. And it was like whatever, like an eight minute short film. But it was like I went all in on that and made that as best as I could make that little thing. And that kind of serviced me because then when I got to go make my second short film at the film school, I eventually didn't drop out of the CFC. I made this short film called Evelyn, and it was like I threw everything at it because it was my mentality was so different, I think than everybody else's. I was like I used to think, I honestly like, I didn't exercise at the CFC. And they gave us five hundred feet of film, a DP and a camera and we all pulled emotions out of a hat. And I got the emotion of fear, and they said, you need to capture fear. Oh, yeah, and I was like, this is a great exercise. How much time one mag so? How much time would that be? Three four minutes? It was not a lot. It's a little project, yeah, very little, like here do. Basically the exercise was do a single shotah and make it about fear. So I interpret it was so of course I did the most stereotypical thing first, tied someone to a chair, put it on high speed, made them shake. I was like, you know, like a fincher thing like. But in my head when I was doing it, I was like, this isn't scary. So then and I was in a basement, so it looked like it was like a horror film, like it was gnarly looking. But then I had the and I did a couple takes of that, and then I was like, then I tried something else, and then finally I was like, I think the scariest thing in here would be how I felt, which was I felt like I was failing that exercise. So I was like, I'm scared that I'm failing this exercise. So it just hit me again. The intuition is where I draw from. I said, I said, pull out every light bulb in this place except for that one wow. And then I said, take the camera and go all the way to the other end of the basement and I stood under the light bulb and capturing how I felt, and I said, just pull out from my face. So as it just pulled out, it just left me in this little puddle of darkness, right, this one little thing of light over me. And I was like, that's how I felt. Like, that's how I felt in that moment. Even though I have this crew around me, I'm like, I'm dying here. This is I'm failing this exercise. And back to my initial point about this little story was when they gave me that camera and they gave me that five hundred feet of film. In my head, I was like, no one's going to get and I believe this. No one is going to give me a camera or five hundred feet of film again in my life. That was what was in my head. I was like, this is it. Yeah, Brad, They're never going to do this again. They're never going to give you this type of equipment again. Like you better do something with this, you know. Fear. Oh yeah, When I saw a fear, I was like, okay, yeah, I can work right, I think this is gonna work out for me?
Speaker 1: Was that your final cut? Like your face?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh cool? And so what was interesting about this exercise was we get we all screened them as a group. I should also like say the CFC is a very special school if no one knows about it and you're interested, or you know someone in Canada who wants to be a filmmaker. The Canadian Film Center is like our AFI. So Norman Jewison established it. I've met Norman Jewison number of times because he's such a supporter of Canadian filmmakers. They took eight directors, eight writers, eight producers and four editors every year and you just go to school every day for six months. Wow. Wow, very different schooling. So I dropped out of a number of film schools because I was like, this is all nonsense. You're not teaching me how to be a director. I don't want to know about sound waves. I'm never going to be a sound engineer. Like it just didn't apply. I was very practical minded and I was also very poor, so it was like I can't just waste money on four years of nonsense that I'm not going to utilize. You know, I was being very practical about it in some way. And so you know, when when the CFC would screen these exercises, this was like our second exercise, they would everyone was sitting in the room, and I was a complete introvert. I was frightened to death of showing what I was going to do. I was the youngest person at that point, and I may still be the youngest person who've ever gone to the CFC. I was like twenty one. Oh, I was a kid. I was a real I was a child. There's an advantage of that, though. I did not have any fear of feeling because I had no experience. Yeah, I had like literally no experience like a superhero at that age. Well, I was more like dumb, you know what I mean. I was just like I'm like, I don't, I don't I'm just gonna try my best. And they were you could tell when people were scared to look bad, and I was just like, I'm probably gonna look bad one twenty one, like, let's just take a swing at this.
Speaker 1: I pick up from you, like, especially over the last few days we've been together, and the more we're talking about this particular thing that you're you seem to be very introspective. Yeah, yeah, you're like you're very aware of things, Like there's some things you've said throughout this weekend. Then I'm like, huh, that's very observant.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing so you put me in a chair and put a mic to my mouth, so you're not gonna get that. But generally speaking, I am more of an observer. Yeah, I like to sit back.
Speaker 1: What they don't know is we've been together for how many hours now?
Speaker 3: Right like nine am?
Speaker 1: Picking you up from the hotel, all right, dropping you off at ten thirty. See, at nine am, I spend.
Speaker 3: A lot of time sort of making notes to myself, Like I don't journal or anything, but like I'm I'm I'm very very like creatively active. I guess it would be the way I like, I wake up, I feed my dogs and make and make sure my fiance still likes me, and then I go right, you know.
Speaker 1: Like congratulations, by the way, you on Christmas Day?
Speaker 3: Christmas, Yeah, congrats, I'm almost a full adult. Now. How you do it? I gotta know? I teased her because so, uh, she's Chinese American. She grew up in China initially till she was like fourteen, and so and I obviously grew up in Canada and like the way my Christmases were were like my parents would do these big stocking stuffers. They would just my mom would make these huge stuff I should all say, like my family is interesting, Like my mom made all of our art in our house. All the Christmas tree ornaments my mom made are stocking to my mom. But even uh Ella fiance is stocking my mom made it for her. Wow, you know, like everything's handmade in our in our growing Yeah, it's it's super it's super neat. I didn't think about it as a kid, but then, like, you know, my mom is one of those people like to this day she paints on rocks and goes to the beach and lays them for kids to find. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, they're super They're super cool people. My parents are really really cool. So anyway, I we did all the gifts and then I said, did you get me any stocking stuffers? And she's like, what's the stocking stuffer? I was like what, you know, I was like totally playing it up because I put the ring box in the stocking and so I was like, you didn't get me out? Well, I got used some stocking stuff first, and she's like, oh, I feel so bad. And I was like, well, go look at your stocking. She goes over there and she looks in the stocking and the ring boxes and I could just see her brain like, you know, like what what and she takes it out and then I'm like, I better kneel down or something, you know.
Speaker 1: Like I better.
Speaker 3: I didn't actually kneel that. I was so silly. I didn't really know what to do. I just kind of was like and and I sort of just got I sat on the floor. I just kind of got lower, so she just squatted.
Speaker 1: I did it in the car and yeah, I mean front yard.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, the timing it felt right, but like how I was like, I'm awkwardly emotionally trying to get through, you know, like it's I wasn't terrified. I just my brain stopped working, you know. And then so she was standing up and she opens it and she just like started bawling and she was so happy and she's like is this And I was like, yeah, that's that's exactly what you want, you know, I was like she So she was so specific about like the ring and all that kind of stuff, and I had played dumb so often I'm really good at playing stupid, like like what you want, Like I just pretend I don't hear anything, you know, And so I'd got you know, it was really really fun and it was great to see her so happy, and I was so happy. And the funniest thing about my engagement was I was you know, I I I instantly fell in love with with l Yes, it was like it just the sensation right away was like wow, this is so strong, this is so like pure, and I didn't have any questions about it, Like as soon as I met her, I was like, oh, this person like vibes like me, like creative, open, adventurous, like all of the and then our core values are very aligned, so perfect. But we'd just been to the Netherlands, we'd just been to Switzerland, and I carried this ring through Europe with me on my person because I was so scared of losing it, looking for an opportunity to give it to her. For two weeks in Europe, I had it on me at all times, petrified she was gonna find At one point when we got on the flight over there, I had it in a big in a big ring box, like a big cardboard box, like I got shipp in the mail in and she's like, where are the snacks? And she's taking the box out and I'm like, I don't touch that box. So she had no clue. I even bought the ring let alone, had traveled through Europe with it in my pocket. But when I was in Europe, like we were so busy, like Amsterdam was so awesome. We went to all these museums and then we were flying like to all these different countries and trains, different places, and it was always so full that I was like, I feel I don't want to shoehorn this in. And the closer I got to like going, okay, the timing starts to feel right, the more I wanted it to feel special. So Christmas morning was like, this is time with just us. Yeah, he's just us and the dogs. This feels right. I can do like a silly thing with the stocking. So anyway, so that's that's Yeah, it was fuerfect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that story. Man, I'm really happy for you guys. I am going to shift gears here a little bit though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk at ons.
Speaker 1: Wait. I do want to find out how you're screening of your Fear. Oh okay, yeah, yeah, great question.
Speaker 3: Screening of the Fear? Oh yeah, how was it received? So the the thing that I took, well, it was received pretty well. But honestly, like, this is something that has clicked in for me at a very young age and it is still consistent as I know, and something is good or not, I really do, like like that's my job is to kind of know like, oh yeah, this word, you know your art. Yeah, It's like I know, like I'm an intuitive person, so if this is like freaking me out, it's gonna freak everybody like you. Hear a lot of filmmakers who are populist filmmakers, like the Camerons and the Spielbergs, Like, you know, Cameron's famous for this thing where he's doing Avatar and some junior execs says, why are they flying around so much? And he's like, because I want them to. He goes, yeah, But why do you think they're gonna be interested in this? He goes, because I am Yeah, right, I love that line. Yeah, And it's because he knows he's an intuitive, populist filmmaker, and he's like, this is going to be I'm interested in this. They're going to be interested in this, right, you know, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: That's our philosophy for this show. We are the content we want, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly, So that's sort of that's exactly right. So I had I was always sort of in tune with that, and that's where I think I was able to shift gears in that exercise to go from Okay, this is a cool finchery shot, but it's not scary, like it could be in a scary movie. But the SHOT's not scary, and the goal of this is to make a shot that feels scary. So as everyone was showing their clips, I realized some people had just done the same shot for five minutes. Wow, like the same exact take. And again that mentality about I'm never gonna get film again, I'm never gonna get a camera again. I was like as soon as I was like, okay, that one's done, new idea, that one's done, new idea, that one's done new, because again I was trying to find the right idea that was scary and you And so that was the thing that shocked me the most was that like, some people had just done the same shot for five minutes, literally the same exact setup over and over until they ran out a film and I was I think I had like five different shots completely different, like film speeds, exposures like again. The mentality was, well, they're gonna take this camera in this film away. I'm never gonna get DP again. I'm never That mentality is I think helped me a lot in my career because it's like, I don't want to mess up. I want to get the I want to pull the best thing I can pull out of me. Whether everyone else agrees it's good enough or not, I can't control that, but I can control if I pull it out and I go, Okay, you know what, that's honest, that's doing what it needs to do. That captures the emotion. I think that's gonna play to an audience, you know. So that was the big takeaway with that exercise, and it opened my eyes a lot just seeing what all the other much older than me, much more experienced filmmakers were doing or not doing. So it was a big eye opening kind of period for me.
Speaker 4: I tell you it was probably pretty well received then that you did a bunch of different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the first two I had like an up and down experience in that school, a certain exercise, if it was a visual exercise, I would crush it. I would be like people would just go, oh, yours and this guy's or yours and hers, or you know, like they were just visually I could tell a story really succinctly. And that's true of your movies. Yeah, I like to think of it the way like Fincher describes, like if you can turn the volume off and watch it and you get the story and it's good, you have a good movie. And it's true.
Speaker 1: Like when I was watching at This the other night, I told my wife, I said, oh my god, this is just pure sci fi.
Speaker 3: I can't here. Yeah, yeah, it truly is. Yeah. I lead with a visual storytelling technique, and then when I can't do that, then I'm relying on dialogue, you know, as where like chrispher Nolan, for example, it's very dialogue heavy and it's just a lot of mediums and close ups with people talking. I love christpar Nolan obviously, but it's a totally different approach for sure. So yeah, so it's yeah, that part of it was great. But then sometimes I'd get an exercise where it would be like a writer wrote this comedy, pull this off, and I'd be like, oh man, first of all, I don't even find this funny, Like like I just was like, I don't know what and then I would fail miserably at that exercise. I would give it everything I had, but I was like, I can't. This is not I'm not good at this.
Speaker 4: I'm not you know, and you didn't you weren't interested in the source material and so like you know, yeah, you don't even think it's funny.
Speaker 3: It was hard because I would be like I don't get what they're going for here, and they're telling me it's a comedy, but I don't really get this sense of humor. And so there are certain exercises I would just you know, completely bomb or try to make it my own and struggle. It was that, but that's sort of what the film school was for. I was like in my head, I was like, this is a place to fail, Like no one's gonna see this stuff. Yeah that's a good thought, you know what I mean. I was like, this is a safe place to fail. So I would swing for the fences on everything, and sometimes it was terrible. It was just like, I mean, I made an exercise and literally nobody got it and then I but but I was just like I understand why they don't get it, and then you learn from it for the future. Yeah, one hundred percent, And like that was like a big learning lesson. So it was just sometimes I would be you know, people would be like, Oh, You're amazing, and then sometimes people just stare at you and you be like, yeah, this is what failure looks like. Got it. I've learned so much? Yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I would like to talk Atlas for a bit if you're down for that, and then maybe after that we can kind of shift into the Orbs and all that stuff. Yeah, but Atlas, man, I have to know, like, how did you come up with this? The conceptualization of this. I really loved Smith, like Smith and Atlas in their dynamic.
Speaker 3: I best part of the movie, I think, honestly. Yeah, relationship is amazing. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was just really so cool. So I just I want to hear like about it from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I found the script. Uh this these two, this producing couple that I know, Joby and Tory. Joby's really noticed like a big, like heavy, heavy hitting writer in Hollywood. Uh, He's I wrote on the Flash. I think he wrote all the Obi Wan show. You know, he's a big writer. He's like and he's got really really good taste and the two of them are a great partnership and producing duo. They have a real knack for finding material. And so I had talked to them for a while about what I wanted to make, and I would always reference Aliens because it's one of my favorite movies and I love science fiction. So I was like, I always want to do with science fiction. So they sent me the initial script and it's it was pretty different than what's there now. There wasn't the relationship of Smith and Outlass was not as strong as it is in the Finnish movie. The relationship with Smith and aatlyss kind of is what we developed and and you know, it had to go through developmental steps because at a certain point in the script writing process it was almost too like he was the therapist. I mean like literally it would read that way like stop down and there's therapy. So I was like, Okay, we need to like make this more of an arc of these two people like learning about each other.
Speaker 1: Smith is the AI, Yeah, Smith is the robot communication.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Nice. So the basic concept is that she's hunting an artificial intelligence terrorist. She this terrists uh killed her, her her family, her mother, and now she does not trust AI. And she gets put in an AI driven mech suit and dropped onto the planet that he's on. So she's like, I'm in a mech suit that I don't want to be in.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile they're like merged with its mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah suit, Like the mech suit's like you you have to plug in the the neural link in order to sync with me. And she's like, no chance. I don't trust AI. I don't trust you. Not a chance. And then she's hunting this AI, this this this like cyborg that's found out she's on the planet. I'm gonna hunt her. So it's like yeah, so it's kind of it's like a cool action adventure film. So it was. It was really, Uh, it was. It was a lot. It was a big challenge. I knew it was a big challenge because I was like, okay, listen, like we have we're building a world from scratch. There's been so many mech suits, there's been so many cyborgs and everything in movies. It's like I need to like try to get out of all the stereotypical stuff and like invent something new that feels whole. I felt that, Yeah, it's it was hard. It was really really hard. I think we succeeded a lot with the visual stuff. I really really loved Smith than Atlas. That's my favorite part of the movie is their dynamic. And it's also probably one of the like that's what everyone was worried about. And when I cast Greg Cohen as as Smith, and he you know, he's an actor, but he's just a voice in the suit. So he's like on the he's in like a sound booth on the set talking to Jennifer live in the scene so that Jennifer can act cool. There's not like a thing in her earbud, and he's actually piped into the cockpit so the speakers and the cockpit are lost, so they're having real conversations. So like sometimes if I wanted to have her do something different, I wouldn't go to her. I'd go to him and say, hey, at this moment, like when she says this, I want you to like awkward pause and force her off a little bit. Yeah. Well it was like to force comedy in a way, ok, right, because It's like if she says something is like she's like getting in his face and he's like beat beat beat, and then delivers the answer. Suddenly it's comedy, you know what I mean. And so like he'd be like, yes, I know, okay, great. And with Jennifer, she's she was a lot like me in terms of her She's intuitive, very intuitive person like very very just like dialed into her emotions and her intuition. And so the more I could allow her space to play and just kind of do her thing. And by the way, I'd already put her in a fucking cockpit, you know, like I can't strap someone in like much more than that, you know what I mean. Like, so I felt like, okay, Brad, like you put this actress in this cockpit. You've given her no room to like maneuver. On top of that, I was like, okay, there's a hologram here, and I'd put up a wire and be like you need to hit this and hit this, and she'd be like she's okay. I mean, she was great, but I knew, like I'm giving you, like, you know, invisible things to do and like putting you in this little space. So I didn't want to like belabor her in her performance, so I would go to Greg. Now. Of course, like her and I had talked through the script and we got on the same page and we had no issues with that. Like we knew the movie, you know, we knew what we wanted to do, and we knew like the ebbs and flows of scenes. But like you have to as a filmmaker. You know, every actor is very different, Like Jeffrey Dean Morgan is completely different than Naomi Harris or Dwayne you know, like and so on Rampage I have. These three actors are very different. Their approaches are just so different, you know, And so I had to learn Jennifer's approach. Loved by the way, thank you. Yeah, I loved it. It was fun. It was a fun movie to make. But with Jennifer, she was so intuitive. And I'm that way that I'm like, I'm not gonna be the director that like gets in her way. Not a chance. I'm backing her. Yeah, did you know what that feels like? Yeah? And it's the worst when someone just downloads you with too much information.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's becoming this clinical thing of like beat bop boop. But I'm like no, I'm not interested in directing that way, acting that way. Like I know that I could. I just don't think it's gonna get her her or me where we need to go, you know, and bothively yeah, and I and I got this. I never even had that conversation with her, but I just got the sense from where I was like, Oh, you're intuitive, Okay, cool, let me let me help you. And so the dynamic on set with her and Greg was really really fun and was really enjoyable for me because people would come up like Greg. No one knew who he was, and at first people were just like, he's just here for the production, will replace his voice. Later in my head, I was like, not a chick, no way, this guy is perfect. That's why I cast him. I was like, that's how I picture Smith, you know. And this was an odd movie. There were a lot of voices in my ears on this movie. And so the I'm very proud of, like a lot of the things where I put my foot down and was like, this is how I picture it are the things that really work. And so it's a learning lesson in that regard. Sometimes I didn't put my foot down, and there are things that like I don't think quite work, because I never thought they were going to quite work. But I was being told, you have to make this concession, you know, like it's Netflix like execs, or it's all of it. When it's all of it like Netflix were really great. They were really really good to work with. The exec My personal execs were amazing. I thought that studio was excellent. Cool, but there was there's a lot of voices, there's a lot of producers, there's a lot of studios. All of these movies are like that, and so you know, the difference for me specifically was on So I made Journey to San Andreas and Rampage with the same star, at the same studio, with the same executives, with the same producer, one producer, one producer, two executives, one star. So I had gone through this situation and then the first movie again they would like question a bunch of these things, and by the time I was doing San Andreas, they were like, whatever you want, do your thing. I mean they would call me on set and be like, dude, that shot yesterday was amazing, and then I'd be as smart as'd be, like all my shots are amazing. Yeah, right, I knew the executive is. By that point, I had a great relationship with them, a great relationship with Bo the producer, had a great relationship with Dwayne, Like we knew each other, we knew our strengths, we knew where. It felt more like a band playing, you know. I went to Netflix. They they were gracious, they bought the script. We had great meetings, but then COVID happened and everything slowed down, and then we had to stop. It was like this very up and down, sporadic situation. And then I had never worked with I mean, we had like eight producers on Atlas. I'd never worked with eight producers. Oh my god, I'm not sure I'll ever do it again. It's a lot of producers. Man in the kitchen, It's a lot, dude, It's a lot that's wild. It is wild. It is wild. And you know, I had more than two executives. You know. It was just a completely new form for me too, And I am guilty of maybe being like too nice. Honestly, I had to. I've now learned like as a artist, I need firmer boundaries. Oh yeah, there's when there's that many people involved. Now I'm just like Okay, I need to draw a line in the sand. I can't do my job, you know, And and I felt some of that. So Atlas was harder in that regard. Yeah, And so I felt like I felt the movie sort of being like very difficult to wrangle, and then I would wrangle it back in, and then I would feel it drifted away and I'd wrangle back in. And I don't know if like people understand as a filmmaker, when you're doing these big technical movies, it's like everything matters, every single thing. The focal length, where the green screens are every It's not like I'm just putting cameras on my shoulder and shooting people talking doing dishes. It's not. And even that would be like the lights would be outside in the kitchen and it'd be like noon and you're making it look like six pm, and like, you know, everything is complicated. But on these big movies, if if if a couple things wobble, then it the wobble's really big, you know, because you're like the chain reaction is massive, and there's just you know, sometimes there's arrogance and sometimes there's like short sightedness and they don't see that I feel that all day long because I'm like, it's my job for there to not be wobbles and for no one to feel a wobble, and there's no chance I can let the cast feel that. So I've got to protect them at all costs. Now, So now I'm protecting the cast, trying to like make these things that I don't think might necessarily work work, Like it's very difficult. So Atlas is a little bit bittersweet because I felt like we went into it with really good intentions. I didn't feel like I was at the top of my game, and I have to take responsibility for that. I'm really happy with big portions of the movie, but of course, as the person who made it, I see the weakest parts. You know. Now, I know I'm being hard on myself, but still like that's how I feel about it. But you know, it obviously did pretty well. We were number one for like four or five weeks in like ninety something countries, and you know, yeah, I can.
Speaker 1: Tell you how it made me feel amazing. Honestly, I'm telling you the truth. Yeah, I mean, not blowing smokes. I believe I really love this movie.
Speaker 3: I think for me, Cary, I carry the experience, Like as the person who created it, I carry the experience. Like and I've talked to people about this where it's like I know producers who are like I was like, oh, that movie was amazing, and they're like, it was the worst years of my life, you know, because it was so hard, you know, like you can That's the thing is the audience doesn't see that. But like I movie with Atlas was hard, dude, Atlas was hard.
Speaker 1: Is it stressful? Managing a budget of one hundred million dollars?
Speaker 3: So you're not really thinking about the money honestly, you know what things cost and it comes to you and like it'll come to you like this. They'll be like, oh, we're ten million dollars over. What can we cut? And as the filmmaker, I know visual effect shots are expensive. Sets are expensive, you know, Like so you have to go through and go, Okay, we can lose this scene. We can take that scene and put it in this set. Can I reuse it? You know, you're going to the art department. That's how you're dealing with money. You're never dealing with like the big number.
Speaker 1: It's just decisions.
Speaker 3: It's decisions compartmentalizing them right, you can't. You know, there's that the saying that summarized being like a big budget filmmaker up the most is how do you eat an elephant one bite at a time? Right, That's how you make a big movie. Yeah, you don't think about week you know, fourteen. You think about week one, and then when you're through week one and you go, oh my god, how do I make that happen? And you're like, oh, week two, you know, like and then you just go through your binders, go survive that week. You know, like there's no other way. It's just too big, you know. And so and then of course you trust your plan and you know, you trust the people around you. So, yeah, you don't think it doesn't it doesn't happen like that. It's it's not like realistic. You don't really think of the number, you know. And also a lot of times, like I'll be honest, like a lot of the budget stuff is out of my control, like the studio is paying for it. They have a point of view. They may say like I've gotten the note. Most of the time when I was working at Warner Brothers a New line, I would get the note more like hey, you did this sequence, and I'd be like, yeah, I love this. It's like George. I remember this because this guy named Michael Disco is one of my two executives, Sam Brown and Mike Disco, or my executives at Newline and Richard Brenner, and then Toby Emrick was the head of New Line. He was above them. But I would deal with Sam and Mike all the time. Every day. I would talk to them, great guys, super super friendly, and I would storyboard everything. I'd board it myself by hand, and then i'd hand it over to a board artist. They'd polish it up. Then I would cut it together as like an animatic, so you could see the sequence, you know, again, like there's no fat I'm shooting the sequence, I'm boarding the sequence, we're cutting it together. I'm shooting that. Yeah, maybe a couple and I'll have an extra camera. Someone will throw in an extra shot. And if I did have an extra camera, I would say to my DP, if I'm not using that camera, find something awesome, shoot it. But I'm telling this story. And I would show those animatics to the studio and sometimes we would take the animatic and then do previs, which is like a pre visualization, which you'd probably see online. It's like a computer rendition of the scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the crew for sure version of it was very.
Speaker 3: Bad animation, but you're seeing the movement, you know, like so you can tell all this sequence works. And I would show that to the studio a lot of the times they would be like awesome but not big enough epic. Yeah, more stuff, more stuff, And my first instinct was like you crash, you don't know your time. My first instinct was always like I felt, always felt like a petulant teenager, like you don't know, you know, I know my vision. But then I would be like more sounds good. Though maybe maybe I could do like another cool thing with a forklift smashing into the you know, like.
Speaker 1: Maybe there will be a tsunami ya.
Speaker 3: But the thing is as the creative you're you're sinking your heart and soul into it, and you think this is awesome. So when someone comes back with criticism, my first instinct as like again like my interpetulent teenager would be like, you don't know, and then I would go execute their note because I'm like more is that's a good note? I can do more, you know, like I never got the less thing. And so the money, I'm like, it's your money. Whatever you want more. I can't control the budget if you're and so then if someone complained about money, I'd be like they wanted more, you know, like they said it like you know, I don't know what to tell you, Like I I was fine with it being this, and then they were like, add more to it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, Okay, your movies are big and epic, yeah, the big and Scar three that I've seen recently, the big Scar huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like those. I like stories like that.
Speaker 1: Scraper crashing, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Let's go six San Francisco, Let's you know, have some fun.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Atlas was like it was my biggest movie. It was also my most difficult movie, you know, and I think like it pushed it pushed me, for sure, pushed me. But I think also with time, I'll feel less of the less of the scars from making it, because I'm I probably felt this way. I just came out, Yeah I did. It just came out like seven months ago. Yeah, So I think I probably felt this way after Rampage. There's just a certain amount of trauma that you go through when you're making these movies and you don't sleep for a year, you know what I mean, There's no way around it.
Speaker 4: You're just like the one thing you always hear. Like poor Peter Jackson and those Lord of the Rings movies.
Speaker 3: Oh man, when's the last movie? What's the last movie he made after that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: No, it was that one like uh with the big giant like mechanical moving castle.
Speaker 3: He didn't even direct it. Oh he did it. No, I produced it. I think No. I think his last one were the Hobbits.
Speaker 1: Hobbit I forgot about that. Yeah, And the same thing.
Speaker 3: I met Peter Jackson while I was shooting San Andreas because I was in Australia. I shot Sandrias and Australia and my scripty who is this awesome woman named Victoria. Uh. She said, do you, Brad, do you watch television? I said not really, and she goes, do you have a favorite show? And I said, I'm embarrassed to tell you my favorite show. I thought she was gonna judge me, and she goes, what is it? And I'm like Survivor And she goes, do you know who else's favorite show Survivor is? And I was like, who. She goes, Peter Jackson for real, Yeah, and she goes, I'm texting him right now, you guys need to meet and I was just like, please text him, you know, like and so she texted him and he flew me out to New Zealand to have lunch with him, and I had the private tour of his whole thing, his whole studio. That's the nicest guy in the world. Like we were. He would sit in his big editing bay and they would bring in magazine covers from like, you know, very famous magazines with like the he was cutting. I want to say, he was, oh, man, I'm gonna mess this up, San Andreas. He was cutting one of the Lord of the Rings movies or one of the Hobbit movies. I can't remember. But I walked into his editing bait and I was watching them cutting one of those movies. And then as he was sitting there, they were flying in magazine covers and there and then the assistant would be like, you wanted fire for the words, and then you wanted gold text and he's like okay, okay, yeah, and he was signing off on this stuff, and I was just like, this is Sandre's was my third movie, and I'm sitting in front of Peter Jackson like editing a Lord of the Rings movie. I was like, that's cool. Oh my god, how did I get here? Yeah? Man, I was just like, what is happening right now? You know, so humble, so cool. I don't know if anyone knows, but Peter Jackson's does not wear socks or shoes, bare feet inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh you mean like out anywhere anywhere anywhere.
Speaker 3: Never had shoes, never had socks on, would walk around everywhere bare feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's I'm a huge fan. That's the only reason I know that about him.
Speaker 1: But oh, it's his all time favorite thing is Lord of the Rings. That's great, the books, the movies, it's one of mine.
Speaker 3: But it's like he yeah, it is his. When when Gandalf rides out and blinds the dragons, that's one of my favorite, one of the best shot is so sick, literally like all the hair on my arms stood up in the Peter and I was like, oh my god, this is cinema is so Gorgons music and everything. It's just like, oh my god. He totally understands cinema, like he just his his ability to shape, scale and scope is on another level.
Speaker 4: It's like even the sky is like the left side of the sky's cloudy, where the dark nas gul are they're black. The right side is more clear and sunny. Gandalf is on a white horse and all white holding the white staff. Yeah, shooting the light. Yeah, you're like, oh, it's so good.
Speaker 3: It's like a painting. Yeah, that movie is is epic on another level. Yeah, incredible, But yeah, thank you for liking Atlas. I will you know what I actually over Christmas, I was like, you know what, I'm going to watch this again. I'm want to watch my movie again soon. I never do that, but I was like, I just think I might need to watch it again to like understand what I made and come to terms with the process that I went through, you know, because I was very proud of a lot of it, and then there are parts of it, and again I think when you create something, you're kind of like you judge it by the worst parts for sure, you know. And and then the critics hated it, and I was just like, oh, you guys are so mean.
Speaker 1: That was it was honestly so undeserved.
Speaker 3: It was weird. I never experienced an like that.
Speaker 1: Cause I read that I didn't like read reviews. I saw the percent and I was like, what, that's crazy. But I knew you were coming, so I was like, I want to watch this movie. And I watched it and I was unlike, this is not real. These reviews are not real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was so good. I think we hit some sort of weird and I think it's really mean and unfortunate, but we hit like a weird Jennifer Lopez negative zeitgeist moment.
Speaker 1: And it was like a week or two be before your movie came out.
Speaker 3: The public was like chatting about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was aware of that because I knew we've known each other for I don't know, a year and a half hours. Yeah, and I knew that going into when your movie was coming.
Speaker 3: Out, And I was like, it's really unfair too, because Jen's like very hard working, on time, courteous. I mean, she's she's a boss lady. Like don't get me wrong, like she's handling business like that's a hot But in my mind, I'm like, that's a professional right there, Like that woman knows what she's doing and she's done it for a long time and like that needs to be respected. So when all that stuff started stirring up, and I don't I'm not like a tabloid god, I don't even I don't even like I live in Los Angeles, but I live out by the mountains. Like I'm not like a hollywoody like go to all the parties. I've never really been that guy. I'm just like not, I'm too awkward, man, I just like I'm just standing there like too real. Well, I just don't want to like, I don't know, I don't know, I just don't want to do that. I just I don't get much from your thing. Yeah, And I feel like also like I did all that stuff when I was young, and now I'm like I just want to like watch movies, hang out with my girlfriend, my fiance, let's go and then you know, watch movies, write, read, paint, travel, That's what I want to do. Life. Yeah, I love that life. I love my life in that regard family, art And if we want to talk about business, like let's go have lunch or sit in a meeting and talk about making something cool. But like going and doing the scene, I'm just not It's never really been my thing, you know, Like and I'm kind of jealous of people who can make deals at parties. I've never been able to do that. I don't understand it. Some people that's how they operate. They go to a party, they strike up conversations, and they're making deals many they're doing or work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems insane. It's just how it is. But it's cool. Like it's cool for them. I got nothing against it, Like they can do their thing. It's just not me. Sure. I just never worked for me, you know, So I never really paid attention to a lot of stuff. But I felt like Atlas got bashed in this wave of Jennifer Lopez. Yes, and it was really unfortunate because I was like, when I saw some of the reviews and the way they reviewed it, I was like, what did you think I was making? Like it's like Jennifer Lopez in a mech suit and they're like, this AI movie isn't realistic enough, And I'm like, what I didn't say this movie was telling you about what AI was going to be doing, Like, yeah, this is an adventure film, wholesome action fiction. I didn't I didn't understand, you know, and I just felt like problematic message, right, Yeah, yeah, I was because AI.
Speaker 1: There's all these people in fear about AI.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, exactly. Well, and also a movie they were like there was this moment where I actually thought it was going to help us, where like AI became like in the media. What I didn't realize was that everyone was taking it like really really seriously, like and I get it, like, yeah, jobs are in jeopardy, but I was like, my movie's not about that. My movie was never I started this movie five years before it came out, so like, how do you predict that part of it?
Speaker 1: It's also like benevolent and malevolent AI. It's like how it.
Speaker 3: Can and people I don't think really want it. They wanted AI to be bad, humans to be good, and I was.
Speaker 1: Just the same thing over it.
Speaker 3: I agree. I didn't make that movie because I was like, we've seen that movie. It's called Terminator, Yeah, Tomato three. Like I was just like, we can't do that, you know, like we've done that. That's not that interesting to me. So there was a it was sort of like a just a bad timing on a bunch across the board. But you know, I feel like the people that saw it really enjoy a lot of people saw it. A lot of those people enjoyed it, and it did very well. It did very well. Yeah, but it's still stung. Like you know, the movie came out, no one saw it coming, you know, like my my agents, like I didn't see it coming, and it was like pretty pretty brutal couple of days.
Speaker 1: I think you can relate to me here where or I can relate to you as well. And I think you'll know I'm being serious when I say I completely understand that experience, being that we have been having these experiences, which you have now yeah yourself. Yeah, and everyone was, you know, for the most part, pretty awful about it, and it stings.
Speaker 3: But you mean with your family, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I like, I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: It sucks, yeah, in a different way, but yeah, just being judged in any way publicly, it seems unfair because you're not signing up. Listen, I take the criticism and stride because I know, as a filmmaker, if I make a film that's really successful. By the way, I don't think the critics really have ever given me, Like I think Sandra's is like fifty or something like none of my movies have ever gotten reviewed in any like great way, and not in my control. I can't stress about things I can't control. I just don't do that, right. I understand that if the movie makes a lot of money, they're gonna be like, Wow, that filmmaker is fantastic. The movie feels are gonna say that filmmaker is terrible, and it's just like that, so you but it is and so I and I'm like, okay, well let's just deal with that straight on. That's just what it is. No problem, Like I'm signing that contract. I want to go be a filmmaker. Fine, So I kind of just go, oh well, like I can't control. This doesn't feel good, but you have to just kind of go like, all right, next, like I'll take some lessons out of this and you're moving forward, you know, like forget Like also, like how can you please everybody? So if everything you can't?
Speaker 1: So critics thing is it's so subjective to all of it.
Speaker 3: It's these single people.
Speaker 4: It's their opinion of the movie and that's it. But most people take that as like gospel.
Speaker 3: Can I'll tell you my favorite review I've ever gotten one of my films I've never told this story ever. I would love to hear it. When I made my first movie, my first movie was Cats and Dogs two, The Revenge of Kiddy Galore Sick.
Speaker 1: I used to love that.
Speaker 3: I was twenty seven years old. It was an eighty million dollar movie. There was no script when I signed onto it, and the reason it got momentum was I would storyboard action sequences. Oh cool, like like comedic action bits for the animals to do, and they in the studio sign and was like, they called my agent said he's elevating this movie, like this is way better than we had. And so I was like, oh, this is cool. I'm twenty seven years old and I'm like an eighty million dollar movies a big I mean two short films before that, damn. Yeah, so this was like a big deal. Oh my god. I was just freaking out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, my hairline was like the stress was just killing me on a daily basis. I was like, my I literally like aged five years on that movie. Literally literally literally, I have like the like the the innards of like a one hundred and fifty year old man. You know, all my organs are destroyailing, They're destroyed. Yeah. No, it's bad. So I that movie came out, didn't do very well, and one person reviewed the movie and said that I had put back cinema fifteen to twenty years.
Speaker 1: What are you serious?
Speaker 3: Brad Peyton, the director of has single handly so ridiculous, pushed cinema back, imagine, And I was just like, wow, I'm really powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize I could push cinema back twenty years. Absurd. I mean, what's crazy to me is I was like, this person wrote this thing. I'm a twenty seven year old kid, made my first movie, and you're telling me I sent cinema back twenty five years. So I was like, it's so extreme. Even at that point, I was just like, man, are you just nasty for no real? Like how unhappy are you? Yeah? Like, my god, I made a kid's movie yeah, talking animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't like it was the first kids movie with talking animals. I was like, you know, And then honestly, like I felt blessed because I couldn't afford rent. Oh yeah, I had twelve hundred dollars in my bank account, was living in a spare room in someone's house in West in Hollywood, and I got this and I worked my ass off to get this gig, and then and then work my ass off on the gig. And then after all that, after working on this movie for two years, I get these people telling me I've set back cinema twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like what, I don't even have a response for that, Like that is so stupid. It's whoever you are out there, it's mean.
Speaker 3: It's mean. It took that movie so seriously. I was like, I don't, I don't, Okay, it's a tragedy. It's it's I know, it's not Macbeth, right, like I never set out to make I can.
Speaker 1: Imagine being twenty seven and like reading that after your first.
Speaker 3: Movie, it's a kid's movie. Are they taking it so seriously? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like when I saw Sonic last week, and it's like, you know.
Speaker 3: Going to Sonic thinking, you know you're gonna see Anura. It's a talking it's a talking hedgehog that moves the speed of sound. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not that deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was never meant to be. Yeah, I'm agreeing to this. Yeah, yeah, that's right. That's the contract I'm signing and I watched.
Speaker 4: My favorite is when people like try to critique like Transformers, Oh my god, Like I just watched a truck punch a jet, right, Yeah, why are we really inserting logic into this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I just wanted to watch a truck punch a minivans that. Sometimes it's that simple, Like sometimes you're just like, yeah, I just want to go see a giant machine punch and other jar awesome movies. That's all those movies.
Speaker 1: That's why I love San Andres. That's why I love Rampage. Honestly, I like sometimes just to watch a movie that's like, oh my god, there's an earthquake that's making a tsunami destroy the city. It's not it's not that deep, but it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you're just there for a fun, good time and like to be like, wow, I just went on a roller coaster. Yes, you know, like it's a huge albino gorilla. Like it's like it's sick, it's it's awesome. Yeah. That's why with that a lot of it, I was just like, man, I couldn't have predicted it. I can't. I don't really carry it in the same way when I was twenty seven and they told me I set back cinema twenty five years. That didn't feel good. But now I'm like, okay, guys, all right, you know, like and the thing is is that, like I feel like I'm pretty even keel, like I I would like to be a movie critic, like I get it, Like I wouldn't like, yeah, this is cool. I don't think I would be nasty, right, you know what I mean like that, but some of it's just nasty. You wonder where that comes from?
Speaker 4: Unhappiness for sure, trying to just like pull somebody down to your level of unhappiness that week.
Speaker 3: So I think so, But so I don't take too you know, it too seriously. But you wanted to say something, Alex, that's so intense.
Speaker 1: It was nasty towards nasty people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, again, Like everyone's got a job. I'm pretty even keel with it, Like I get it. I signed the contract. I'm a filmmaker. You're gonna critique my film. Sure, everyone's got a job to do. You know. I support like you know, also the critics what I love about them as they go, Hey, no one in the like I'm a movie fan. I watch movies almost every day, like almost every you know, I haven't watched movies since I've been here, but like if I wasn't here, literally, you know, if you asked Ela, he's like, yes, he watches something every day. I watch movies every day. It's awesome. But there's a lot of people that don't. And what critics are really good at is, hey, you guys are not paying attention to this little film Anura. Everyone should go see this little film Anura. And that's awesome. And I love that about it, where they're bolstering the medium and the bolstering the audience and getting people intrigued and getting people open to new things, and also the films that aren't put out by one of the major studios, Like you got to get people that are aware that maybe don't have access easily to those things, because a lot of people just want to come home, turn on Netflix, watch it, not think about it. If you have to go searching around for this little indie film, you may not even know to look for it, let alone how to find it. So I love that critics do that. They bolster the sort of the smaller movies or they say, hey, this big movie over here is really saying something really important. But you know, I know Marvel doesn't need you know, great reviews. Everyone everyone wants to see Marvel movies. I want to see Marvel movies. It's like that doesn't do much for me. Sure, you know, so I just sort of take it all all on stride. I'm not mad about any of it. You know, I get it, you know what I mean, Like there's a reality in which I could never have been a filmmaker and I might have been a critic, you know what I mean. And that's how I think about it. I'm like, yeah, you do your thing, man, Like you have to tell your truth and get that out there. Just why are so mean? I did not set back?
Speaker 1: So I did not do I do not have that power.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that like, you know, made me okay at like the twenty seven year old it's just like shake is as like this massive film fan. I'm like they're shaking to me to my core at twenty seven, being like you're terrible, you made a terrible movie. I was just like I had to turn it into a joke of like you really think this twenty seven year old guy from a town nine thousand people can set back like I'm a powerful man. It's so interesting. It is funny. Yeah, I had to laugh at it because I was like, this is making me want to cry so much. It was so mean.
Speaker 1: That's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I think of and I haven't even seen this movie, but when I think of a movie that's set back sent them a you know, to twenty to twenty five years, I think, like Megalopolis.
Speaker 3: Right, I have not seen it.
Speaker 1: I haven't either, but I've heard you know, it's like one of the worst things ever. Yeah, but yeah, I will say this one more thing about Atlas, and then I'm like looking at the clock here and I'm like, oh, crap, we do have some plans tonight, so we'll kind of wrap up with your thing. I have to say that. And there were so many scenes in Atlas that that were amazing and I don't have enough time to cover it all.
Speaker 3: But when they were dropping.
Speaker 1: From the ship, yeah, I was like.
Speaker 3: That's one of the few sequences that barely changed it all from my storyboards.
Speaker 1: Because like they're dropping from the ship in their suits, the drones are after the ambush, yeah, and it's like all this like slow motion stuff and the mex are just like fighting in the air, but it's like falling rapidly towards the planet. It was just so insane. I was like, oh my god, this this, this movie is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wanted to overwhelm the audience a little bit. I wanted to be like, oh my god, this is intense.
Speaker 1: It worked.
Speaker 3: Should we talk a little bit about what might be coming down the road? Let's do it. Well, what would you what? What would you think your audience would want to know? How would you like to phrase the question?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. By the way, we have time tomorrow, so we could also get Daxon Peter in here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That well, the thing we got to think about is they have full time jobs, so it's like we.
Speaker 3: Can call them stick for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, we can work that part out later.
Speaker 3: I feel like we need to at least give you a little tease of what might be coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what do you uh, let's let's just say, you know.
Speaker 3: I think your dad has a very interesting story. Yeah, and I think the story needs to be told in film form right basically, And I'm I'm very excited by the possibility of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's been a fun weekend. Yeah, And there has been a lot of discussion, a lot of learning about our story. We could maybe say that and just sharing all of these events that have happened to us, and going to locations and or sets rather where these things have happened, and and yeah, I mean, I don't know what to say other than it's been a great time. You know, the sky watching last night, we probably saw I don't know, one hundred orbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you to talk about that, like what that was, like, Yeah, I mean it was really I mean, I've seen stuff. I've read your dad's book, I've seen things posted online, I've seen images, but to see it in person is it's different than I expected because they were so kind of high up and and you my sensation, my experience, having only done this once, was you try to rationalize it. First, you're like, what is what is is that a shooting star? Like what is this? And then you start going this is impossible that this is isn't that wouldn't this can't be shooting stars? You know this can't be And then you start recording it, and then when you start zooming in on the recordings, you're like, what am I seeing here, so the and then also your dad's innate ability to kind of sense them, which is extra bizarre, like like he's he's an earnest, humble, genuine person, and so he's not the type of person I don't even know if your dad is capable of blowing smoke, Like he's just not that kind of guy at all, like zero percent. And so like when your dad's like, we need to be outside five to six, and you're like, and you were like, we need to be outside five I was like, all right, not probably, Well, we're not gonna go anywhere, we'll be we'll be ready. And we're at like a five thirty and sure enough, five to six it starts and I was like, now, because I'd never experienced before, I was like, okay, yeah, this is this is cool, this is cool. And then it got more and more active, and it got like it became a lot and a certain points there's like five moving lights in the sky moving erradically, and you're like, this is so strange. It Honestly, it wasn't until the second time we went out and saw nothing did I go, oh shit, this okay, now this just got really interesting because he didn't say we need to go out now. Yeah, he didn't say any of that. It was it was Dax. It was one of the let's step out again. Yeah, and so now put yourself in my shoes, and now we go outside for half an hour and see nothing. And in the first hour earlier we did, we saw like one hundred lights firing around the sky within an hour. So it puts it into the context where you're like, huh, this guy like I you know, basically he's like, we need to go and be there.
Speaker 1: I can feel this has happening in advance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yea far and it's like, oh yeah, he was like, yeah, we got to go out at this time. And then it was like super consistent, but like off and on, but like overall within an hour, incredibly consistent. And again, like I think any rational person, any person that's not like connected to it, you're gonna start going what is it? You're gonna try to answer it in your mind, but it can't really be answered, you know, especially when you go back and you look at the videos and you're like, hey, this doesn't really make sense. These things are changing colors, like rapidly changing colors. They look like they're going in a straight line to your eye. But then when you record them, you see there's like little micro movements all over the place. There's like movement even within the lights there's movement. You're like, okay, this is this is very odd. But it wasn't until we went out the second time and there was nothing that I go like that I realized like, Okay, I truly believe this person has a connection with these things because he can sort of sense it. And then like, for example, if it were satellites, they'd be going all night like that. Yeah, there's no there's no media showers, don't have meteor showers shooting in all ways.
Speaker 1: They were crossing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was all over the place. So again like no matter how like logic, once you're there in person, you're experiencing it. Even then, I think you can have doubts and you can question. I think it's I think it's a sane person would do that the first time they see it. But then as you get more experience or you see the drastic difference between hey, I sense them, we need to go outside to okay, let's just go outside and look at the sky and there's nothing. Right now, You're like Okay, I this is now different.
Speaker 1: I didn't pick up on that.
Speaker 3: Well, I just internalize everything.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because my perspective is a little different than yours. It's been my whole life, right, And I didn't even consider the idea that like, yeah, that is kind of interesting when you say it that way, that we go out again, and and in reality, the second time we went out, there were maybe one or two, right, It wasn't zero, it was like one or two yeah, yeah, but it was like still and we were probably out there the second time for maybe forty minutes right at most. And I didn't even consider that element where it's like, oh my god, yeah, that is interesting that you say that. It wasn't Dad that was like we got to go out. It was uh, it was Dax and we're all just like, yeah, let's step out there. Yeah. He didn't have that sense. So the fact that it impacted you that way is very profound.
Speaker 3: Well, and also you have to think like if it's if it's again going to the like the like I think I'm like a healthy I'm open, but I'm a healthy skeptic. You're practical, Yeah, i am, I'm very just kind of like I want to understand this in a practical way. So you go through the practical steps in your head, the logical steps in your head first to kind of go like, could it be this could be the when I went out the second time, was an opportunity to kind of do that for me. Yeah, Like I was like, Okay, there's no way it's a meteor shower. There's no way it's satellites. Like if it were planes or satellites or drones or any of these things, it wouldn't show up for an hour of crazy movement in all directions and then.
Speaker 1: Not and all these different colors yeah, green, or It.
Speaker 3: Took a while to kind of digest it and then go like, Okay, this is really something and your and your father has a genuine connection with it. Yeah, Like he's moved by it, you know. And to see him be moved by it, and you know he's had obviously very very extreme, unique experiences and that's like given him this connection as we're like I have not had some of those. I've had some experiences, but nothing like what he's had. And to see him have that interaction in a real way, yeah, you go, Okay, there's real. This is real like, I'm seeing something here.
Speaker 1: You see how emotional it makes him. Oh my god, probably seen half a dozen times in the last you know, whatever thirty hours or whatever we've been together that he'll just randomly just start breaking into tears because he's telling you something that happened. And it's like, even me, I can remember the exact point in my life when that started happening when he would just start breaking into tears, and it was after the lady came, and it's like, yeah, you're right. You can see that he's really been through it and he really has this connection. And even me when at one point before we went out the second time, we were all talking about something and I was like, I'm gonna step outside real quick and probe this guy. I walked outside, I looked up for a minute, said I thank you, looked at the stars while so beautiful, didn't feel light, and I was just like, okay, that's okay.
Speaker 3: Went back inside.
Speaker 1: I didn't have the sense. I was just like, I want to probe this guy. Right, didn't see anything?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, you know, yeah, he has a he's special person. He has a connection. You know, he's also just very emotionally attune, yeah, to a lot of things. Empathic, yeah, oh yeah, he's definitely an EmPATH. Like he's so emotionally a tune. Yeah, it's it's it's kind of inspiring because it's such there's such purity there, you know, Like it's not something you see a lot. And it's very upsetting to hear about how a community treated him, you know, or how the world might treat him, because you know, he's a genuinely like his humanity is at one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Well, he's been like to the gates of Hell basically, yeah, and came back. And I think he his whole thing is terribly Yeah, and in many ways, not just by people even, but by circumstance, you know. And I think he just has a different understanding about like the value of life and compassion and what it means to help other people. He doesn't want anybody to suffer like he has. Yeah, and that's how he's raised us.
Speaker 3: He's very giving. He's a very giving person anyway, at the and at the end of the day, you know, I just think his story deserves to be told. I told I describe him as a one of one. He's one of one. There's no one else like him. You know, like when I told some people I was coming out to meet him, I was just like, and they're like, what's he like? And I was like, he's a one of one. There's certain people you meet and you're like, there's no one else like this person. Yeah, you know, and he has that thing and then his his story, his experience. I just think it's really really valuable and I don't think there's ever been a story like that, and it's very rare that as a storyteller, you come across a story and you're like, this is intense, this is so unique, This person is so unique that this story deserves to be told. And you know, I look at it as a very good, healthy challenge to try to tell it at the highest level. Yeah, and have the most people exposed to ithathetically, hypothetically.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you saying that. And it's like music to my ears. And you know, it's been a fun weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been awesome. Thanks for having me on the show. Oh guy scared away your partner though.
Speaker 1: No, he actually had a work call. He's on call right now, so he has quietly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it just is what it is. Man, So.
Speaker 1: This was your idea, by the way, to do the podcast. So thank you.
Speaker 3: I like your podcast. I would have never asked, really, no, oh man, you need a little Do you need to sprinkle more of Hollywood in you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, hey, that's that's maybe you're right.
Speaker 3: I was what was the you always uh ask forgiveness not permission.
Speaker 1: That's right, like we did today going down into the river.
Speaker 3: I said that it wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: I said that the Peter, which, by the way, Peter, he's a friend of mine now, but he's he's Brad's a good friend who's with us. I was telling him that today, like, yeah, dude, we're so lucky, we're going down into the river. We're gonna ask for forgiveness not permission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny that you said that, but that's the way I think you kind of have to be. Yeah, just like just agree, just do just do everything you can while you can. Yeah, you should not be so shy. You should have you should invite everybody on here. It's a good show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate that, and I resonate with like a lot of what you said, like your vision of a director. Obviously, what we're doing is.
Speaker 3: On a small level.
Speaker 1: We get like fifty thousand views a month or something, and I'm grateful for that. But I know your your content that you create for the world is at such a high level. I I am inspired by like how you you know, create and your vision about things.
Speaker 3: It's it's very inspiring.
Speaker 1: It's very humbling that you're sitting here before me and I'm you know, hearing all this got.
Speaker 3: Me to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cool and a good time. Awesome. We have a very very mundane, not that deep exit ritual where we say bye guys, and it's just become part of the show and that's all. Yeah, just look at the camera.
Speaker 3: So thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: We have to go SkyWatch like now, so we're done and uh till next time.
Speaker 3: Until next time, Bye guys. You're supposed to say it. Oh bye guys, by what out bomies.
Speaker 1: If you like the show and want more, check out patreon dot com slash bledso said so.
Speaker 5: This will get you exclusive weekly bonus shows and access to our discord community with hundreds of open minded people just like you.
Speaker 1: If you want to represent the show, go to bledsosaids dot com. For merch we have t shirts, hats, hoodies, and more.
Speaker 5: For all futures updates, follow us on Instagram at bletso sets up same time next week