Speaker 1: In line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 3: All right, gardeners, good morning, good morning on a good Sunday morning. We're glad to have you with us. Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. And what do we do here, Well, we answer your gardening questions. We try within our power to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape because it is very doable. You know, here in the greater Houston area, in fact all of southeast Texas, it is. Our plant palette is huge.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of things we can't grow. They grow up north, or they grow somewhere else. There are so many things you can grow here that you can't grow other places. And we really enjoy a big plant pellette. I think that is that is one of the things probably maybe we don't appreciate as much now people that move from other areas, you know, they go, you can grow et ceterus. You know you can actually grow in avocado. Well, yeah you can. It's going to freeze back some, but yes you can. I was talking to somebody the other day at wild Birds down in clear Lake and he was showing me pictures of his avocado tree and it frozen back. I think a couple of times, I believe, but I mean it came right back like Gangbusters, and he's getting a lot of avocados out of it. We just have options down here, and I realized in the listening area we got folks you know, up in Huntsville on Interseate forty five and over down toward Karpas and Louisiana, and so there's a big range here, so any one plant may not go all areas, but my goodness, we have a lot of great, great options in this region for growing plants. And fall is a season for planting, so I want to encourage you to get out there and try planting something. Yesterday I was out at A and A Plants and Produce and Montgomery, and thanks for everybody that came out. I had a great time visiting with you guys, and as usual, you had a lot of questions. We kind of got hung up on weeds there for a while, and I was getting depressed because I want to talk about flowers and fruit and vegetables, loans and other things, and we were delving into how to kill nuts, edge and whatnot. But hey, it's your questions. That's what we're here for. And if I've answered them a hundred times, I'll answer them one hundred first time. I don't mind. I know how it is. That gardener has been doing this thirty five years and we typically have the same questions. And some people are new to gardening, and you know, they may have questions that a veteran gardener would go, oh my gosh, don't you know the answer to that? Well, I don't do that. I mean, seriously, if it's your question, it's going to get respected, it's going to get answered. That's how I look at it, because my goal is to take people that have never gardened before and make them enthusiastic green thumb, which means your thumb. It's educated gardeners. That's how that works. So give us a call. Our phone number is seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Hey, thanks to A and A for having me out yesterday. It was great. While we were there, I was looking around at all the beautiful plants that they have in stock, and they are loaded up and it looks great out there. And of course, you know when you go to Ana, you've got every kind of fertilizer and soil product that I talk about here that are available. Just looking through all the different bag products and the fertilizers from Nitrofossen Nelson and from Microlife, you know, things from heirloom soils in Nature's way. They stay stocked up. And those of you who live out there in Montgomery, in Conroe, out by the Lake Lake Conroe neighborhoods, it's your backyard garden center and you need to run over there and check it out because it's close and it is well stocked, and the folks that are there to help you are very very good. I was talking with one of the staff. There's a master partner actually, someone that had been in some of my training classes when I speak in Montgomery County, and you know, that's that's kind of person that's going to be able to point you in the right direction. And that's what we like about independent garden centers is educated folks. I've talked about this before, but I had been in big box stores and I'm not going to name the stores. You know, it doesn't matter what I put the name on. It applies to about all of them. But I've been in big box stores and sometimes I'll go in and ask questions just to see, you know, the knowledge level of the staff. And you know, I'm stand in front of a pesticide aisle asking a question and the answer was like, are you kidding me? It would have been the worst thing for somebody to do. And I just say, oh, really, how long you been working here? I've been here a week? Oh really, we'll be doing for that. Well. In one case the answer was I was managing the jewelry counter. In another case it was I was cutting hair in a beauty shop. And do you see what I'm saying? That is not a person unless they just happened to be very knowledgeable as a gardener to be selling you pesticides or to be pointing you to the plant that's going to survive. Here. Another pet peeve of mine is going to those places. And I know people go in because they think, well, this is gonna be cheap. Well, remember, cheap and economical are not the same thing. And here's why. If you buy a plant that dies, if you buy a product that doesn't work or damages you're lawn, that's not cheap. You're going to go back after to buy another one. And other things and I see that happen. But I've been in those stores and they're selling raspberries, black cab raspberries. They don't grow down here, and maybe you kept one alive for five minutes, but listen, they don't grow down here. They're selling conquered grapes that down here. If you're in New York, that's great. That's a good grape. You know. Niagara is another one like that, conquered ripens, one berry at a time. Just go buy some Welch's grape juice that's conquered grapes and enjoy that, and don't try to plant one in your yard. But they're for sale here. And I could go on and on on and on. Northern high bush blueberries we can grow rabbitized in southern high Bush. We cannot grow Northern high bush down here, not successfully long term. And they shouldn't be settling them. But hey, big chain, that's what happens. All right, I'm through griping about that for now. Let's go out to the phones. See we're going to go to Kingwood now and talk to Angelo. Good morning Angelo. All right, we're gonna put Angelo on hold. Do we have you Angelo?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You there yes, yes, how can we help today?
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, I have about it. Oh it's about a five foot Plemiri tree. They got kind of beat up with the hurricane. It's like at a ninety degree angle. It's blooming and everything. The leaves are getting kind of beat up though, with the sun and everything. But my question is, can I just cut it at the trunk about maybe three feet up and with something grow from there. It's healthy, but it's a little.
Speaker 3: Bread Yeah, you'll see branches come out on them. I saw one the other day that stem was dying and there were little shout shoots coming out of the base. So you could do that. I'm not a plumeria expert. I'll just tell you that up front. I know a lot of but but yeah, you can. You can do that, and just remember and winter. If you haven't had it to a winner already, you definitely need protection. Or pull it up and bring it in and hang it and hang it in the garage or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I've done that in the past, and I just want to cut it about instead of it's it was five foot before the hurricane beat it up. Okay, I'll just kind of down to about three foot. But no, branches on and everything. Just have the date of the trunk. That's that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you might try it. You might try rooting some some branches and sections of it too that you cut cut off. Don't just throw them all away.
Speaker 6: But if I just cut that trunk, you know, cut that with that little there at the top of.
Speaker 3: It, it'll sprout out. But it yes, you can do that. Well, good luck with that. Thank you for the call. Shape that very much. We got to run to a quick break. Ann and Roger. You'll be our first two up when we come right back.
Speaker 7: If you had listened to.
Speaker 3: Forward to your calls and visiting with you about the things that interest you. You know, one of the one of the important things that we do in the garden landscape is build good soil but also support and in doing so, support microbial activity. There are a lot of microbes out there. Sometimes we think of funguses or bad bacteria or bad and some are, but there are a lot of good ones, a lot of ones that benefit our plants, that help turn organic matter like tree trunks back in the soil that would be the fungib or really shine at that microlife has put the kinds of beneficial microbes that I'm talking about in its products, and you'll find that there's a product called Microgo bio Andoculant. It's kind of a maroonish color, dark maroonish color bag and it also comes in the little clear jars with the screwtop lids. It has sixty three different beneficial strains of micro organisms, all kinds of different basillas and pseudomonas and streptomycees and others that are good guys. They do a lot of things. They fight disease, they outcompete bad organisms on the surfaces of plants. They connect to roots and help the roots to thrive. They just do a lot of things. And Microlife biinoculant is something that you can put out at any time of the year. Now it'd be a fine time to do it. I think anything we do prior to the season where we start to see brown patch and large patch is a good thing because the more that you enhance that plan, the more you protect that plant, the better your chances are to have success. And so try that micro grow biinoculant, either by the sack or by the large jar. Either way you go, I think you will be very pleased with it. Now you can use it on things other than your lawn. You can use it around all the plants that you have. Micro grow non occulant for microlife. Something to consider, and I think you should. I'm going to go now out to Wharton and we're going to talk to Ann. Hello, Anne, Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, good morning. My big problem is a twenty foot bid of holly that is uh infested with scale, No, not scale, really whitefly. And I've sprayed that with knee oil and some dawn dish, so already twice this week. Do I just need to continue doing that?
Speaker 3: And you're you are? I just want to make sure you're sure it's scale. It's white flies, not scale, is what you're saying.
Speaker 4: No, this is whitefly. Now, do have what I call scale on my spineless prickly pair that I took a brush to and scraped what I could off. But this is this is basically the white fly on the holly as well as my miho satsuma ya.
Speaker 3: Okay, well white flies. What you see is the little white fly like a big gnat that's white flying around, bigger than a nat. But what is also happening is they're laying eggs typically under the leaf, and then the leaf the eggs hatch into a larvae that then turns into a pupa. And the pupa look like little tiny scales, like a fish scale, and they're about the size of a lowercase typed oh letter O. So you just kind of imagine maybe a ten point font typed oh. That's what you're looking for. If you will spray upward from underneath the plant with that kneem oil or any kind of an oil, summer oil, a horticultural oil, don't do it during the middle of a ninety degree day. You'll do it at a cooler time of day that that will cover and smother those And so you're if you stay at that for a period of time, not every day, but you know, once a week or so, you can break that life cycle that way. There's also systemics that you can put in the soil that go up in the plant and anything sucking juices out of the plant, like those white flies, then it will get them. But I prefer to go the other route if you could, but you're just gonna have to kind of stay on it to break up that life cycle.
Speaker 4: All right, So once once a week, what do I do to remedy the my miho satsuma leaves or literally black I've blasted them with a high frush of water and you just can't get that stuff off.
Speaker 8: You got to scrape it off.
Speaker 3: It kind of wears off in time. But I'm told some people will get like a soapy solution out there and spray it and let it sit and then blast it off. Or I've never tried that, and I wouldn't do it again. During the heat of the day. You might try that and they get a you know, get a something along those lines. Otherwise, it's just kind of something we live with. They put out new growth, the old eventually flakes off. But that's about all that's in your power. I mean to go out there with a bunge and wash every leaf with the soapy sponges. It is not practical, No, unless you have a very smart plan.
Speaker 4: No, the tree is way too big. In fact, it came back after the big freeze we had covered it in all okay and is producing. So I just need to continue with what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Then, I think, I think so yeah, but just make sure you're directing that spray upward. Yeah, you have to completely coat the bottom of every possible leaf. That's what you're aiming at.
Speaker 8: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to be in Wharton on next Saturday, the twenty eighth. I'll be at Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware. Come on out and see me. And if you want to bring a leaf or two from that first plant, we'll look and i'll see if I can see those whitely pupa or larva, and i'll show you what they look like. All right, Okay, very good. That's from there from one to three. It's going to take you all to get there, so we're starting at one, go to three. We'll have some giveaways and it's gonna be a fun time. So tell you friends and come on out and see me. I don't get that far out of town very often.
Speaker 4: So no, I've never heard you come south this far, so look forward.
Speaker 3: I never had.
Speaker 9: Coming.
Speaker 3: People have said that so much that the show has gone south, but travel south. Thanks Anne, I appreciate, appreciate you very much. Bye bye. All Right, I got to be serious, but not today. You're listening to the garden Line. We're glad you are thanks for being a listener. Speaking of south down south of Houston, Ciena Maltz is the go to place. They're just north of Road Sharon. They're on FM five twenty one. And you know what I say, brown stuff for green stuff, meaning you get that soil perfect and whatever plant you put in is going to be very happy and you're going to pick good plans. But if you don't start with the soil, you're making a mistake. Ciena Maltch is the place for the brown stuff, meaning you can buy composts, you by bed mixes like Veggie and HERBX from Heirloom Soils. They carry that one there. Cianamulch has only quality products and they have every fertilizer you hear me talk about every brand, you know everything Microlife and Nelson's and nitrofoss, the products from Landscaper's Pride and Medina and Heirloom Soils, Asimite, all of that, all the soil stuff is there at Cienamlch. Of course, they also have rock beautiful rock gravel for creek drain ways and things. Everything you need is there. You just need to go Cienamultch dot com. That's the website. Cenamultch dot com. They are close today, close on Sundays, but they're open Monday through Friday seven thirty to five and Saturday from seven thirty to two. Let's go now out to kindod Taxis.
Speaker 10: Hello, Roger, Hey, how you done?
Speaker 3: I'm good, sir. How can we help today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 11: So, I can't get my grass to grow, and I've been told it's because I have all these pine trees in my yard. And I've been told the pine trees they soak up all the water, they add too much acid to the soil. And I'm just wondering, is that Is there something that I can do?
Speaker 7: Or is that even? Is that is that true?
Speaker 11: Is it is the pine tree promitting my grass from going or what.
Speaker 3: They're not making? Yeah, they're not making the soil too acid for grass. What they do shade and their needles are falling and casting a little shade if you don't get those up pretty quick. But they shade themselves. And they also have a lot of roots up at the surface that are pulling moisture out of the grass. And also, you know when you have a whole lot of woody roots, there's not as much soil volume for the for the grassroots to be in and the closer you get to the pine, the worse that is because the bigger or roots you got, And so it's a factor of all of those things. I think the main thing you can do is just make sure it gets adequate water during periods when it hasn't rained, make sure you give it a good deep soaking, and continue to do the fertilizations that help provide the nitrogen needed for vigor. Of course, we're entering fall now, so it's time not for high nitrogen, but it's time to go to fall type fertilizers. But that's what's within your power.
Speaker 8: Okay, So it's it hard to go crass with pine tree.
Speaker 3: It can be a fair enough of them. Yeah, you know, I see a lot of yeah, two and they look good. Yeah, but it is just a matter of shading. That's why people switch over and they start you know, planting azalias the under the pines and other things that can grow and bloom with less than good full sunlight.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I've got nine trees and it's only about twelve hundred square foot yards, So you know there's a wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, that's a bunch. I think it I know we all loved have a nice turf area to walk on and whatnot, but you may want to start rethinking a landscape that may be more suited to an area with that many pine trees and that small that amount of space.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you, all right.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, thanks for the call. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes you know, it's just a situation that we we get into. It's it's what do they say, it's what happens. I was talking about cian a mult and carrying as m you know, asamite is the micronutrient supplement that we talk about putting down. I recommend about once a year is good. It's all my schedule. If you look at my schedule on gardening with Skip dot com, that's where all my schedules are. That's where all the info sheets I'm putting together are. We're continuing to grow it. We got plans for some new developments. So just bookmark gardening with Skip dot com and it helps. It helps me answer your questions because rather than taking a lot of airtime to try to explain something, I can put a publication together, may even have diagrams or something on it and it just directs you exactly and it's just easy and fast for you to get to and get your answers. So I encourage you to do that. But as a mite, micronutrients important trace minerals that plants have to have to survive. Putting them in the soil bank account so as the grass grows and needs them, it's there and you can use it in flower beds, you can use it in your gardens. I use it in vegetable gardens myself. But it's it's a great product and it goes a long way because you don't need a lot of micro nutrients, but you do need them, and so that's how as might works. Let's see how are we doing here on time. We're about running out of time here for the next break, so we're going to hold here if you would like to give us a call to be up after the break. Seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two. Hey, welcome back. We are back on a nice Sunday morning, and I'm glad you're listening in today to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a beautiful garden, a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and all it takes is a little good information and some quality plants from a place that knows what they're doing. And that would be our mom and pop garden centers, all independent garden centers, if you will, the ones that are from here, that live here, the garden here, and that know how to garden here. That is very important. And a good example of that is Warren Southern Gardens out there in Kingwood and Kingwood Garden Center. They're both out in Kingwood. They've got new arrival, a nice group of citrus has arrived out there. This would be a good time to grab some get those in the ground fig trees as well. They have several different varieties, some you've probably never even heard of, that you can try out out at the Warren Southern Gardens. For example, they have fall veggies. It's time man to get in your cabbage and Brussels sprouts, coloreds, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuces, all kinds of things can be planted as we move into this cool season. And a nice shipment of cactus, including some really rare gems like the variegated chin cactus and the ghost cactus. I know you're thinking, what, what's a ghost cactor? Well go find out, go go check them out. It's time to get your planters ready for fall. They've got all the plants to have a beautiful fall planter. Now, if you don't know how to do it, you know, it's like I don't know how to do that. I don't know which one's a pick. They'll help you or drop your planters off and say you do it, and they'll do it and you come back and pick them up. Of course it gots to do that, but they are professionals and they can create some gorgeous, gorgeous planters for you for fall, and I know you would love to have a beautiful place going into this fall. Five bucks off micro Life sixty four, Microlife brown Patch, a nitrophost sweet Green, and Azamite through the end of this month. It ends September thirtieth, five dollars off each bag. Good deal. There's also sale on Bugginator for the pest control from Nitrofoss and they're super Turf from Nitrofoss. They have a tree sale going on right now now while supplies last, but thirty percent off any tree. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is if you're going to plant a tree or a shrub or a woody vine, get it in in the fall. The best planning season is coming up the next two months or just prime time for planning. You plan now, but it is prime time in the fall, and thirty percent off is a good deal. I mean that there's your chance right there. Don't forget. When you get a tree, you need to get the things to help the roots get established, the roots stimulator. You've got your compost materials. You're working in not the planning hole, but a very large area around the tree. Those tree roots are going to be primarily in the top foot of soil over time, and you don't put it in the planning hole, but you do it in a large area. So, for example, you've got a shale compost mix from airloom soils of Texas. They have that at War and Seven Guards and Kingwack Garden Center. So don't forget described the newsletter too. While you're out there. I wanted to let's see, I was going to I want to make a couple of comments about a couple things that i'd like to When I can occasionally talk to you about landscape tips. You know, just some ideas things that you might want to be aware of, and one of them, let's see here. First thing I want to talk about is landscape planning from a standpoint of texture. You know, when we look at a landscape and we want to plant things, we think about what kind of flowers can I plant there, or shrubs or things, but also consider texture. Texture means the big bold leaves of elephant ears or kalladiums versus the very fine textured leaves of something like, for example, firecracker fern. It's also called firecracker plant. It's a type of Ruscellia. This thing comes out of the ground. It's almost like a fountain. It comes out of the ground the straight stems with lots of small stems, and it loads up typically with a coral red flower. There's also a white form and kind of a yellowish form that are less common. But these coral red flowers are heavy and it makes each of the little small thin stems hang over, so it's just like it's weeping. But it's this giant mound of tubular flowers that hummingbirds and butterflies love. But it's a fine textured plant. That is a cool plant, and you can get them at our garden centers too. By the way, they freeze to the ground in a good, good hard cold snap, and then you just cut them off and they come right back out again. They look good. But that's an example of a fine textured plant. There's all kinds of textures to leave. Some are kind of soft and almost a velvety feel. Some are very glossy and shiny. When you do a landscape, don't just think about you know, it's a shrub or it's a hour or whatever. Think about those textures and mix it up a little bit. It really adds interest to have a variation in textures in your landscape. All right, here's a tip. You are listening to Guardenline our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. By the way, that firecracker fern gets about three to four feet tall, and because the weight of the blooms kind of causes the branches to lean out. You know, it may be four or five feet or your real ears is really happy, even a little wider in time. But you can prune it. You can trim it. You can control some of that, but well it's a good plant. Love that plant. I have been yesterday, of course, I was at at A and A Plants and Produce, And as I mentioned while ago, I'm going to be at the Wharton Feed Ace Hardware store next weekend, Saturday, the twenty eighth of September, and it's going to be an after lunch thing from one to three. So grab grab some lunch and then come on out to Wharton Ace Hardware, Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware store. They've gotten all set up out there. Y'all are fortunate to have that come in to the community out there, because it's gonna be a great store. It is a great store for being out there, and I'm going to be giving away some things as well as answering your gardening questions. And I don't get out to Wharton very far, so people listening down in Corpus Christy, I don't know, you know, be a fun day trip. Come on out. Where have you lived down in that direction? Come on out and see me out there at the Wharton Ace Hardware next Saturday, September twenty eighth. And again the time is not like my normal times, A little bit later from one to three one pm to three pm, I'll be out there, so hope you can come out and see me at the Ace Hardware. You know Ace Hardware's. We've got ACE Hardware's all over our Greater Houston area. They're forty stores in our Greater Houston Ace Hardware Group here, and it makes it really easy. All you have to do is go to Acehardware dot com and you can find a store near you, like Warden Ace Hardware for example, if you go to the store locator, and it makes it easy. Now when you get to ACE, you're going to find the fertilizers I talk about. You're going to find everything you need to have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape, whether you're managing pest, suedes and diseases, whether you are wanting to fertilize and stimulate the plants to grow organic products, synthetic products, whether you need tools, whatever, If you're just setting up a beautiful outdoor space in the garden with some landscape lights, and you know those little strings of I call them beer garden lights, but you know there's little strings of lights that don't shine really bright, but they create that overall this really nice glow of bombience in the back. They have things like that, things to really take it up a notch out there in the outdoor living spaces that we have. And it's solid A's Hardware and you need to go into an ACE Hardware because it is amazing what they have. Now, these are independently on stores and you never I mean there may be fudge bar, a really cool fudge bar in one or a place that you know, etches, cutting boards and things as for gifts, and it's just like, oh, I didn't know they had that. I promise you there's going to be some Oh I didn't know they had that. When you go into your local ACE Hardware store, it's a great place forget purchasing too. Well, I got to take a break. I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Me the s of you Emmassy Dream Dream.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Welcome back on a nice Sunday. I really appreciate you guys listening and let's have some fun talking about the things that interest you in gardening. Gardening is a great hobby. It is fun, it really is. And it doesn't matter what you're into. I mean, you may not want to go outside, but you may love houseplants. I'm telling you there are more house plants than you've got time left to grow them. I mean, every time I turn around, there's house plants I haven't even heard of that are now coming on the market. I don't know. Somebody crawling through some jungle somewhere found it and drug it back and started propagating it. It's really cool. And if you are into herbs, if you're into edibles, fruit, vegetables and herbs, for example, there's that. If you just want to look at hummingbirds and butterflies and whatnot, there's that kind of gardening. If you are a lawn ranger, you know, the weekend warrior on the lawn, and you want a big, beautiful green carpet and go for it. We can help you with that too. By the way, do you see what I'm saying. How about this? How about landscaping for fragrance, You're talking about different kinds of landscaping. There are so many plants that have lovely fragrance at different times of the year. One of these days, I'll let me put something together. I'll talk to you about some of the specific examples and things like that. But I love the fragrance and the landscape. And maybe you don't care about any of the things I talked about. Maybe just you would like to try to grow some healthy food and vegetables. You don't want to plow up the b you want to use containers. All right, let's do it. Let's have fun. Get the kids involved. You know, it is so important that kids get connected with nature. There is a stack of research them all high showing that when kids get in touch with nature, from a walk in the forest to time in the dirt in the garden, they are healthier in every possible way. We're talking about mental health, we're talking about physical health, we're talking about eating differently, because when you grow something, you're more likely to eat it. I just can't make enough sales pitches to you on the benefits of gardening. And if you feel like if you're afraid you're going to fail, don't be afraid. You got to kill a lot of plants to be a good gardener. So let's get going killing some plants, all right, and then we'll eventually not kill as many plants. I want you to loosen up and have fun. That is what we're here for, and I can help you do that. Like I like to tell you to say on the air, there are no brown thumbs. There are only uninformed thumbs. And as you get as you inform your thumb, it's greener and greener. The reason Grandma could grow seem like anything she put in the ground grew is Chris, Grandma knew how to do it. It's just a matter of knowledge. It's not magic. There is no special aura that comes out from some people that makes plants grow but not others. It's a matter of finding the right plant, putting it in the soil, and taking care of it right. And you can do that, you can, And so what is your interest? Are you interested in all of that? Do you want to get specific? You know, do you like orchids? Well you can that can be your gardening. You can just do orchids if you want to do that. I think you're going to want to do a lot more because once you get going, so many plants, so little time. It is it's an addictive hobby and it is fun. And we are fortunate in Houston to have excellent independent nurseries north, south, East, West, and Central. I mean they're all over the place here and they're all worth going to you know, I just I think it's a it's horticulture. Tourism is a good idea, and so I don't care where you live out in timbuck II. Well go to this nursery one weekend, then go to another nursery another week Just see what's there. And everywhere you're going to find a little different. Feel. You're going to find a little different a group of plants, for example, in some specialize in one thing or another. But it's going to be fun. You're going to enjoy doing it. And here comes fall, the best planning season of the year. Get out there now. I know it's still hot outside, but it's not the calendar. I mean, it's not the temperature. It's the calendar you need to walk worry about because the average frostate comes when the average frostate comes, and I don't care if it's hot going all the way up to that. You need to be doing what you need to do at the right times. Our vegetable planning schedules and things that you see around the Houston area, they're designated that way. The best time to get the soil ready is right now, because the best time to plant is in the fall. So let's get out, let's get going, and let's have some success and I'll help you do it. We're here, hold your hand if you want. We'll advise as you wish. And we got the great garden centers that we'll do that too. So don't let the thermometer stop you from getting started on the best planting season of the year. Let's go out to League City and we're going to talk to Rick. Hello, Rick, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 12: Nice skip, thank you for being on the on the show's morning. I was in the process of trying to send you a picture, but I didn't have time. There's a few spots in my yard that have a very low growing type of a I guess it's a weed. When i'd use my phone plant Identify, it says it's carpet grass, and it very low growing, doesn't look like Saint Augustine. It's close to the ground, and it seems to be kind of spreading.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to do I just treat.
Speaker 3: That like a weed and use it. It's either if it says it looks like carpet grass, then it's probably a dove weed. That's the closest looking weed to your Saint Augustine.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I here's what I want you to do. I want you to send me a picture. I'm going to put you on hold if you don't have the Do you have the email address or not?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 13: I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, get a get a good picture and send it to me, because I don't want to send you out buying and spraying something if we're not really sure of which weed we're dealing with. Okay, okay, okay, do that and I'll I'll check the email. I'll get you an answer. Okay, okay, thank you very Your answer is probably it's probably going to be celsius that comes out of my mouth when I when I see the weed. But let's not jump on that one. Let's be sure. Thanks a lot, fake Paul, appreciate that. Y. You take care? Yeah, you bet, bye bye uh night. FUSS has their three step program Three steps Fertilizer weed control, Fungicide for diseases, Fertilizer Night Frost Fall Special Winter Riser. It is designed for helping your grass go into winter strong, to be more cold hardy, and to come out of spring strong. Second barricade weed control Look at my schedule October October October, but earlier in October is better. You can do it now, but it's a little on the early side. We don't expect any cool season weeds to be germinating in the next couple of weeks. But I would get this out in early October because it if you wait until after they're up and grow and you've missed the window. Night frous barricade will work for that. And then finally night Fuss eagle turf fungicide. It's a systemic. It moves into the tissues of the grass. So when brown patch large patch and take all patch all try to infect, which they will this fall, then the Eagle fungicide helps shut that down before it even gets started. Don't wait till the circles appear. You can't make circles green with fungicide. You need to do it ahead of time. Look at my schedule and follow that and it'll guide you in that way. Night Fruss is widely available. You're going to find it at Fisher's Hardware and Baytown, the one in mop Bellevue, the one in Pasadena, and the one in the Port just as examples. You are listening to Guardline and we're here to direct you. You know, I keep bragging on our mom and pop garden centers, and Plants for All Seasons is an example of that. You know, this garden center's been around since nineteen seventy three, right there on Tombaill Parkway FM two forty nine. I just you know, I said that a thousand times in my life, and I just almost went blank. Plants for All Seasons dot Com is the website. When you go into Plants for All Seasons, you're going to find every season the best plants to be planting, and they're loaded and ready to go right now. For your fall planting. You're going to also find, and this is very important, the advice, and they are experts, they've been doing this a long time and they know what they're talking about. You bring them a weed, you bring them a plant that's sick, you bring them a bug, whatever, and they're going to identify it and they're going to tell you what to do about it, and they're not going to steer you wrong. That is why it is so important to go to an independent garden center like Plants for All Seasons and all the folks up in that whole area between Cyprus and Tombull. They know plants for all seasons because they've been there a long time and they've had good results from there. I can guarantee you that they are true lawn and garden experts and you will be happy with your results. We're going to head now out to Brazoria County and talk to Louis Lewis. You know what, Lewis, I did it again. I did this yesterday. I take a call right before it's time for a break. Sorry about that, man, I have to put you on hold. I will come right back to you. Sorry to have to false alarm. Golly, on these days, I'm gonnaigure out how not to do that. I just get so excited talking about plants and products and garden centers and whatnot. Hey, don't forget next Saturday, Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware from one to three. That's Saturday, September twenty eighth. Be there or be be squared. I'll be there. I'll be looking for you, and if you don't show up, I'm going to tell all your neighbors that show up to go to your house and plant grasp burds in the yard. I'm sorry, it's it's gardening terrorism. But you need to show up and be there. That was that was uncalled for. That anyway, my attempted here. Looking forward to seeing out there though. Seriously, also don't forget I will be or there will be an excellent program coming up on growing food and I'll tell you about it when we come back.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: This is any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with sci Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's so pay.
Speaker 13: Just what.
Speaker 3: Hey, folks, welcome back to Garden Line. We are glad to have you with us, and we're jumping right into it here. I mentioned right before we went into break there's an upcoming educational program you need to know about the folks. At Oba Organic Horticulture Benefits Alliance are putting on a program called So You Want to Grow Good Food? That's a good title. They have a number of speakers on it, including Bob Randall. Bob's of course you all know him. He's the author of Year Round Gardening, which if you vegetable garden here in the Greater Houston area, you need to not do it without that book. That is an excellent, outstanding book, by the way, and he's a great speaker too. If you want more information on this program, it is October fifth at the Houston Arboretom and Nature Center and it's all day on Saturday. It's eight am to three point thirty pm. And to get more information go to this website OBA online dot ORGHBA online one word dot org. All right, I was visiting with Luis from Airlom Soils the other day, and just give me some information on some of the products and the deals that are going on right now. There is a you know, Heirloom Soils is the one that has the veggie nerd mix, the rose mix, the excellent potting soils for indoor and for outdoor called the Works for example. I could just go on and on a while ago I was talking about the fact that at Warren's, you know, they they had their mix of compost and expanded shale, which is the best thing you can put into clay. Composts and expanded shale both help loosen up a clay really well well. Right now, right now at the Porter location, which is where Airloom Soils are made out at Porter for this is a limited time offer. By the way, you can either pick up or get a delivery bulk of the Heirloom Soils roast soil or their Veggie and Herb mix. Roast soil are veggie and herb mix very limited time, and when you do, you get a free bag of Microlife sixty four, the green bag of Microlife. This is at the porter location. If you want more information on the porter location, that's rock inmultch dot com, r O c K the letter N multch dot com. If you want more information in general on heirloom soils, heirloomsoils dot com, you need to go there and look at all of the products. And I've tried. I'm working my way through them. They got so many, I'm working my way through them, and I have not had one yet that didn't perform outstanding for me in growing plants, whether it's the container mixes. There's one four that I used for our succulents that's a cactus and succulent mix that's outstanding, and on and on down the line. We're going to go back out to the phones. Now we got Lewis and Lewis and Jorge. I think Lewis has been there a little longer. We're going to go straight to Lewis and Brassouri County Lewis, This isn't a false alarm. I'm actually here this time. How can we hit more?
Speaker 14: Good morning? My question this morning is about products like super Thrive or Garrett Juice or Medina for pre soaking say bedding plants, or barried strawberries or berry, say peach trees. When you're getting ready to plant stuff and you put on a pre soak, it even seeds, large seeds. What are your thoughts on those kind of products.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't speak to all of them, used all of them. Yeah, but I know with the Medina, for example, that whenever you are soaking plant roots, number one, soaking them in water is in and of itself beneficial because you're getting to making sure the roots are moist and held moist before you plan them. Drying out is a problem. Then when you have the microbial activity that is in these a lot of these Medina products specifically, that is beneficial because they're putting the kind of microbes in that either are helping fight, is helping colonize the roots and doing whatever things you know the microbes are going to do. Oftentimes will have other substances in them, you know from natural plant hormones that stimulate roots to I can't say the word vitamins, different kinds of other substances and all of that. It's just kind of amounts to a roots stimulator. So I think you're going to see a benefit from that, and I would encourage doing so. You're not going to ever burn the roots with those products. They're not salt based, you know, fertilizer where you can burn roots, especially if it was too high of a concentration. But yeah, I would do that. I have used a number of different products that they have, and it's always worked for me, always had good results with them. I've never set up a trial where you know, I replicate it and do all that kind of stuff, but from the standpoint of just trying them and seeing the results, I've had good results with that.
Speaker 14: I'm just curious if you knew of any there's the ever actually been any type of let's call it study or anything that was empirically measured where you know, they said yeah, okay, they have to look or lasses extract or whatever. Yeah, you don't like the super thrives, like the like the Garrett Juice is those kind of products.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't read. Yeah, I don't know I'm telling you that would be a hard trial to do, because you know, in a trial, you try to eliminate all the variables except the one thing you're looking at, you know, and when you're talking about microbes and microbe content, and you know, what is the mix of microbes and what's already in your soil. You know, you may have a very poor soil, you may have a very microbe enriched soil. You haven't been putting composts and all kinds of things in it, And so it's just really it's really hard to just set up a trial where you really could get a good answer on those kinds of things. So I think we depend on, you know, the the decades of gardeners and the results they've had and things like that. And for me, it comes down to just I'm going to try it. If I if I'm gonna to promote something, I'm gonna try it planet and see how it does. And I haven't done the strawberry root soaking, like you mentioned, with the products, but I have used them as transplant solutions and things. So I hope that helps.
Speaker 14: No, No, I just always look for another opinion. Thank you, Skip, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, Leis thanks, appreciate the call. Yeah, that is very very important. You know, we're talking about all the products he was mentioning products and things. Southwest Fertilizer is the go to company if you were looking for something that's hard to find it is. It's in Southwest Houston. It's on Bissonet and Renwick, and I know people that drive a long way to go there because Southwest is going to have they have all the standard stuff every fertilizer I talk about at Southwest. If you hear me mention a product to kill weeds, to fight disease, to deal with insects, it's there. But they have a lot of other things. And so someone I sent someone the other day there to get one product and they had like three different ops form. The person was asking me, well, they said they had that, but they also had this and this. Well all of them are good. They were all good for the thing. And Southwest is like that. They're not going to steer you wrong. They're not going to say you product just because they got it for sale that they want to get rid of the product. They're going to point you to one that'll be success. And that's why they hang around. You know, they've been around since n eighteen fifty five, So you don't do that if you don't a have products at work and be take care of your customers. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com is a website corner of Bisonette and Renwick. Get out there and check it out and you'll see why I am so big on that place. I have to take a little break here. When we come back, George, David and Joe, you will be our first ones up line listener. We appreciate that. Hey, have you been out to Enchannon Forest and Richmond Rosenberg. They are set up for fall. I mean you're going to find all your fall vegetables. They got a great stock of them, and now's the time to get them in. Now's the time. Remember what I said earlier, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calind Now's the time to get them in. They'll be fine. Put them in, water them in, get your herbs there. They are loaded up with herbs as well. They have a really good selection of tree planting options. I'm one of my favorite, and I think it's Danny's too, probably Chinese fringe tree, Chinese fringe blooms, in the spring and it is gorgeous. It is a billow of shaggy white blooms with a nice honey like scent, at least that's what it smells like to me. Somewhere in honey baby powder somewhere in there. It's a nice plant. And it doesn't get too big either for a tree. So if you want something that it's the typical lot sizes that we have today. Chinese fringe is excellent and they've got them an Enchanted Forest Garden Center out there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. You just head up, let's see, you're going to go on FM twenty seven fifty nine. So if you're in Richmond Rosenberg going towards sugar Land, it's off to the right FM twenty seven fifty nine. While you're out there, you're gonna find the Night to FoST Fall special. I talk about the carbo load us, I talk about the micro like brown patch, I talk about the barricade and Eagle Fund. All those things I was talking about, they're going to happen there at Enchanted Forest Garden Center. Go see, and by the way, take your camera because the lantana are so loaded with butterfly. I could not believe every time I go out there and they have Lananna blooming. It's like every butterfly in the country has gotten the message. Go to and channel for us and check out there because they are just everywhere on it and it's it's some fun butterfly pictures. Take the kids with you when you do that. Also, let's see here we are going to go to David in West Columbia. David, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Yes, sir, my neighbor has an abundance of cats, and as you know, privacy fans don't de tear cats, and they are using my plants. They are using my plants as a as a litter box in my yard.
Speaker 3: Yes, and everywhere else.
Speaker 15: Is there something I can put on my plants and yard that will deter the cats but don't hurt the green.
Speaker 3: There are some smell things that I've heard people putting out there. I've never bought or used those things, so I don't know how well they work. I have put in potted plants, especially in the house. You can just cut a little section of like hardware cloth or something, and it sort of like becomes a little screen that sits on the surface, so they can't dig in the in the plant. I've known people that put pebbles almost like not river rock size, but pretty good chunk sized little rock pebbles in the surface of plants to also keep them out. That's about it as far as what I would suggest. But you might want to try one of those smelly scare them away sprays and see if that works. I haven't tried those a right jeep, Thank you, all right, David, good luck. Hey. I had a friend when I was a kid. I knew a guy that actually worked for my dad and he had He was so upset about it. He had actually done the map. He knew how many cats are wearing the neighborhood and how many times they went to the bathroom every day. It was hileritou but it's not funny, but it does help the laugh sometimes when you, oh, he was alerted, you should have heard him talk about it. He had done the math. Thanks David, I appreciate your call. George and Jersey Village, Welcome to guarden Line. How can we help?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Skiff, Good morning. I try to find that whibs that you just mentioned. The obo online dot org that.
Speaker 3: Doesn't seem to go h oh hb A oh hb A organic horticulture benefits all right, glad that all.
Speaker 10: Hold on, hold on, don't go away. My sweet potatoes when I picked them yesterday. They're beautiful, but they taste like junk. So why yelled at me? So how can I make them taste better? Can I want to plan them? Can I put some sugar in the bottom of the hole or something like that, or anything I can do to fix the beast.
Speaker 3: No sugar comes from the leaves getting sunlight. So I've not had a bad I've not had a junk tasting sweet potato like that. Grow. That's a new one to me. Are they good size? Are they good sized? Potatoes?
Speaker 10: Big as my hand or something like that? They're very beautiful statues. But yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 3: Right now, there is a there is a curing process. You know, when you dig a sweet potato, they typically put them in a warm not hot, but kind of a warm moist storage for a period of time, and it's it's part of the curing process and sets the skin. I've never tried eating one straight out of the ground, so I'm wondering if that may be part of it. Yeah, George, I'm gonna have to look into that again. I haven't had that problem before. And if they're a good sized sweet potato, that means the leaves made a lot of sugar, and so it may just be that there is a starch sugar thing that goes on there. I don't know that's the new one. I'll look into it.
Speaker 10: They're about six inches long and three inches in diameter or something like that. A pretty good size.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, let's see what I can find. I'll mention it on the air if I come up with anything. Appreciate the call. Thanks a lot, Thank you. You take care, you bet. Warbirds Unlimited is loaded up for the one of the best seasons of the year. I think hummingbirds are coming through and they are loading up. I don't know how hummingbird flies across the golf from Mexico, but it takes a lot of sugar to do it. And at my house they are going to the plants I planted for them, and they are going to my hummingbird feeders. I got two feeders, two from wabirds. As a matter of fact, the high perched feeder that it didn't matter what you put out there, you put a good quality feeder out there with good sugar water and it you can make your own, or you can buy one of their mixes. They have a thing that I use in my sugar water that makes it lasts longer. In a ninety five degree day, sugar water starts to get pretty nasty out there, and you can't leave it in the feeder for a week. It's not good for the hummingbirds. And so this stuff you put in it's a natural mineral substance and it makes it last over a week and it works really good. Also, other birds migrating through you, like Baltimore orioles, and then here comes wintertime just around the corner. They have the best selections of bird seed mixes that I know of. And that cheap bird seed you buy at other places where you get the little red bebes and the birds kick half of the all of that out because they don't want to eat it. You end up paying more for your bird seed because you don't they waste half of it, they're not going to use it. That's not the way it is with Walldbirds. And there's six Wallbirds stores near you go check one out wbu dot com, Forward Slash Houston that is where you need to go WBU dot com forward Slash Houston find the one closest to you. We're going to go now out to Kingwood and talk to Joe Hey, Joe.
Speaker 16: Good More Skip. I had a quick question for you. I've got my nitrofoss Fall special at barricade ready to go, and do you recommend go ahead and putting them down now or do you recommend wait a few weeks on putting those down?
Speaker 3: I would I would king what I would probably put those out about You could do it at the very end of September or at the very beginning of October. I think if it was mine, I'd probably do it at the beginning of October.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And now, if we're going to get some coal front coming in and we're gonna get rain and the temperature is gonna drop down, you want to do it then? Okay? Because the weed seed germination is based on soil temperature, and as it cools off, the weeds you're going to prevent at this time of the year are going to start germinating, and you need that barricade down ahead of time. As far as the fertilization, late September is okay. I'd probably do it in first of October two and it will gradually provide those nutrients out there as the grass moves into the cool season. And so you got you got time for that one. But you don't want to delay for sure on the on the barricade.
Speaker 16: On this you say, do delay on the barricade.
Speaker 3: No, you don't. What you can delay. But as soon as the temperature's right, that coldfront, some cool rain and stuff, you're gonna start to see the cool season weeds beginning to germinate. And that's why I'd rather get it out and early. It's gonna last a while. So if you get it out the beginning of October, it's gonna still be working for you through November doing what it does.
Speaker 16: Great. And do you recommend waiting a few days between putting out the barricade and then the fertilizer later.
Speaker 3: No, I would do them both. And here's why. You put one out and you come back and don't put them in the same hopper. Come back, hold up the other one, put it out, and then turn on your sprinklers for about thirty and inch half inch of water, just enough to move it down into the soil surface and then both of them can go to work, especially that barricade. It doesn't the granules sitting on the ground dry or not controlling anything. When you get some water, it washes the product into the soil surface and then you get the weed control from that.
Speaker 16: Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Skip okay, you take care. Appreciate the colt trying to watch my clock a little bit better this time than I often do. Mucanna's Native Plants is an outstanding place to go to in the Heights. They're on Eleventh Street there. If you haven't been, you need to go just to see the place. Now. They specialize in natives, and if you're looking for any kind of I mean not just I want a native plant, but I want a nadi plant that attracts hummingbirds so that next year they're hanging out at my house just to go to the flowers on this plant. They can do that. I want butterfly native plant. I want you fill in the blank. They also have an outstanding selection of everything fall right now. All those fall colors, you know, the nges and reds and things that we think of is like Thanksgiving colors or Halloween colors. They've got all those kind of plants, and you can get set up and have a beautiful fall. Remember, forget the temperature, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. It's time to do those things. Get those things in the ground so you can enjoy them. Yeah, I tell you, marigolds are a great fall plant. They're yellow and orange and kind of a color in between the two of those, and they just glow up until the first frost, which is a long time away done in our area here, and so take advantage of it. Go out to Buchanan's Plants while you're there, grab some of the fertilizer products they carry. They carry the things I talk about here on Guardline. They also have some great soil based products some of their own as well, and just get set up. Let's have a beautiful fall, and let's let Buchanan's Plants provide the supplies you need to make that happen. I'm going to go now out to friends would and we're going to talk to Jake. Jake, looks like I've got a couple of minutes here. See if we can get your question, or we'll carry you over if we need to.
Speaker 17: All right, should be quick, uh, We've got an area between the sidewalk and the street that was covered up with a debris from kirka burrow that is now contic but wheats and touch and.
Speaker 8: I want to put I'm thinking I want to put blue bonnets.
Speaker 18: Or other wild bird wild seeds out there. Is that how can I keep it attractive throughout the year, not just the eight to ten weeks that the flowers are blooming.
Speaker 3: So so you're wanting to not have grass there, but you're wanting to have other kinds of plants.
Speaker 17: I'm thinking blue bonnets, wildflowers, Texas wildflowers specifically the whole array.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wildflowers are. Yeah, they're wonderful that you know, they have their seasons. And so since it's right out front, you have to be a little bit. You have to change your aesthetic opinion a little bit because you know, when you're blue bonnets are done blooming, they're not very pretty, you know, and then something else is coming on, So you can't mow the whole thing because you got another flower coming on.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so that that's just something you may want to think about. You could you could do other things out there. I don't know what your preferences would be. But you could certainly do just blue bonnets, for example, in that area initially, maybe do some different colors of blue bonnets, uh, and then when they start to go down, you could plant something like a zenia, a dwarf, a compact type of zenia, or one called narrow leaf sinia out there and do that. Those are just a few of the of the options options. Let's do this. I'm going to run to a break let if you if you want to keep talking about this, that's fine. Just hang on. I'm gonna put you on hold and we'll be back with you as soon as I get back. Welcome back to garden line. Hey, if you would like to visit about something regarding your plants, just give me a call seven one three two one two five eight seven for I'll listen to you brag about the tomato agree this summer, but only for a very short time. We can't put up with that now, seriously. I'll also listen to you and commiserate with you on the allergies going on. By the way, right now, let's see, we got grass allergies, we got ragweed allergies, and what is the other one that probably seed or I don't know. I know Central Texas they are suffering from cedar fever when it gets into the fall season and moves in the cooler weather. You know, we end up fighting them when we live anywhere in the country really just about. There are some areas that are fairly allergy free, but others it's just part of a seasonal deal. I know, by the third week of September it's going to hit every year about the time dove hunting season for those of you dove hunters hit. Somehow, allergies hit about that same time too. Ragweed, those are really really problematic. One well, I wanted to talk a little bit about the Nelson Water Garden folks. You know, I was out at Nelson Water Gardens visiting a while back, looking at the different products that they carry. Now it's actually Nelson Nursery and water Gardens. I still call it Nelson Water Garden because you know, they are nationally famous for water gardens. They've been doing that a very, very long time. But they also have an outstanding nursery. And every time I'm there, it's like, oh, you also carry that. I did not realize you also, Okay, and they do. They have so many things, you know, the fertilizers that you need for your plants to help them be successful. I love going to see the plants that they have, but I also love going to see the water features and to hear the water features they have. There is nothing as calming as the sound of running water out in your backyard, patio area or wherever you want to put it. You put in the front entrance if you want. It's just it's just nice. They have the disappearing fountains, they have the little waterfalls. They can build them. They can. They can sell you the product for them, and then you go build it yourself if you're that kind of do it yourself, or they don't mind doing that. But they do excellent work and they again are well known. They're nationally known. When it comes to those little discipearing fountains, there's like a large urn that the water comes over, rolls down the side and circulates back through again. They invented that and they know how to do those things. And whether you're wanting the plants that go in the water garden, the fish you know, like the koi and shabunk and whatnot, they go into a water garden They've got you covered. That's the bottom line on it. And you will find when you go there their pottery selection and it's the beautiful features they have are wonderful.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a showplace, it really is, and a destination and I would encourage you think of it as your West Houston garden center. You know how said we got north south east west, Well directly out west on Katie. You just hit Katie turned north on Katie Fort Ben Road and you're there. Here's the website. Write this down and you can all that you want. Nelson Water Gardens Plural dot com, Nelson Watergardens dot com. I'm going to go out now to Jean in Chapel Hill. Hello, Jean, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Good morning, Thank you for the call, taking my call. This you back late spring, early late spring, early summer, we had a lot hundreds, if not thousands of small eggcorns or oak trees growing up from all the acorns that came out of the shoe mart and the live oak trees. And we decided to dig up a few and put them into gallon pots. And they're growing fairly well, but they're pretty small. My question is when can we put those in the ground.
Speaker 3: You know, I would. I'd probably put them in the ground at the beginning of November. You could do it in late October, beginning of November something like that. We want the weather to cool enough to where the demands are minimals, so any transplant shock is minimum, but still get it done early enough to give them every possible week possible before next summer heat arrives. And so when you take them out of the pot, if they have circling roots, you either need to unwind the roots and dig a hole to fit or cut the roots one or the other. Don't leave them in the ground with circling roots because that tree will grow and the root will grow and one day it will start to strangle the tree and you have a mess on your hands.
Speaker 19: Okay, very good, Well, thank you. That answers my question.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, thank you very much, Thank you. Bye, appreciate that call you, Bye bye bye. I was talking earlier about this nitroposs three step program, and I think it's an ingenious thing that they've done, because this is a time of year where we need to be talking about getting our fall ready for the fertilizer. That's designed for fall to make our plants go into fall stronger, to be more cold hearty, and to come out of fall stronger as well in the spring. Just hear me again on this spring initial spring lawn and growth is based on stored energy in the grass plant and where did that stored energy come from? Nutrients and sunshine in the fall, So it's very important for your spring green up. Secondly, it's the time to deal with weeds once the temperature drops. Each weed species has a certain temperature where it'll start to germinate and grow. In the spring, it's the warming up of the soil for our warm season weeds. In the fall, it's the cooling down of the soil for our cool season weeds. So if you look at my schedule, October is the time I say get your pre emergence down now. Weeds are going to germinate November. There may be some germinating warm days in December if they haven't germinated yet, But you don't want to wait until they're already sprouting. You want to get ahead of them. And barricade is the product, by the way, for fall fertilizing. It's nitrophosphall special winter riser that's the name of the product for the weeds. It's barricade, and you put it down. It's a granule. You water it in, just a little bit of water moving into the surface, and then when the weed sprouts, it's going to shut it down and you don't have to reapply it and reapply it. Barricade's going to last you all all to the end of the year, really, and so you're good to go there. The third step is the fall diseases, which primarily is the large patch also called brown patch or formerly called brown patch. Most people still call it brown patch and take all root right. Those are the biggies and the fungicide called Eagle from nitrofoss. Eagle like the bird that is systemic. It moves into the plant and when those diseases show up, that plant is ready to fend them off. So if you wait until the big circles appear, you missed your window. Don't do that. Get that down follow my schedule. October. If you see a nice cool snap coming through with some rain and stuff, boy, I would immediately when that has passed so it doesn't wash it all the way, I would get out there and get that that Eagle down and water it in real good to shut it down. It'd be good to be ahead of that though, and being a systemic, it's gonna be in the ground or in the grass plant for a while, so it's not like you know, it just lasts a little bit. It's gonna give you good control. Now you're gonna find this at ACEH Hardware and Sinkle Ranch the Arborgate and Tomball Shades of Texas, either the one in South Houston, Southeast Houston, or actually the one in Southeast Houston on Genoa Red Bluff Road. I'm gonna take it. Hey, welcome to garden Line. Thanks for joining us. I appreciate that, I actually do. I don't take it for granted that you listen to garden Line. There's a lot of things you could be doing and listening to and whatnot, and we're glad to have you here. I personally think it is going to help you have better success in your garden. I've been doing this for thirty five years professionally. Actually have been doing it my whole life. I grew up with the garden. But I do know the things that it takes to have success, and that's what we try to do. And anytime you have something pop up, you know, what's this bug? What's this disease? I saw a plant the other day. Here's a picture of it. What is it? I'd like one? Does it grow here? All of those kinds of questions, we can help you with those in our number seven one, three, two, two, fifty eight seventy four. I tell you who else can help you with things like that, and that's our garden centers r CW Nursery, for example. That is a garden center that is there where Highway or FM two forty nine Tomball Parkway comes into Beltweg eight and r CW is always a good place to go and get whatever kind of plants, you know, vegetables, herbs, flowers, shrubs, trees, finds, you name it. Right now, I want to I just want to feature talking about the fact that they grow their own trees and they have outstanding trees, and their trees are fifteen percent off this month. This month is September, and you need to get a tree now because fall is the time to plant them. If you know, they say the best time to plant a tree is forty years ago. The second best time is today, and that's really true. Especially when today is in the fall and we're entering that season. They have them from seven gallons all the way up to two hundred gallons. Now, obviously you're not going to throw a two hundred gallon in the back of your ugo and take it home, but they'll bring it to you and plant it for you. They also offer that available service if you would like to do that. They have new Mexican white oaks, which is called Monterey oak. It is one of the fastest growing oaks and it is a long lived quality species Mexican white oak or monteraeak. They have them in a hunter gallon. They've got two hundred gallons southern magnolias that you want instant pizazz and wow, a two hundred gavan gallon southern magnolia is it. They'll provide all the information you need to find the right location. They'll give you planning tips. They even have the products, you know, the root stimulators and things like that that you can take with you when you buy a tree. RCW nurseries dot Com is the name is the website and if you want to actually go buy there and visit with them, they are it's actually fifteen eight oh nine Tombol Parkway. I like to just say Tombo Parkway at belt wag eight. Just look it up on your maps. It's easy to get to. And there could not be a better time for you to go buy and get one of their trees than this fifteen percent off sale that they're having right now. That's pretty amazing. Someone i think Lewis called earlier and was talking about some of the different companies that have different kinds of microbial products that are used in stimulating growth of plants or in transplanting or soaking roots. I think was part of the question that he had, and Medina has a number of those kinds of things. One of the ones that I would, you know, if I were going to the Medina line of plant foods, I mean, you know, I might use something like the hum atumic acid or the Medina Plus or or something like their seaweed products. But I think the best one for that might be there has to grow six twelve six. Now, the has to grow six twelve six. It's got the NPK, the six percent nitrogen, twelve percent phosphorus, phosphorus being very important for roots, and six percent of potassium. He's got the medina soil activator in it, which includes a lot of biological activity, and then the humate humic acid that's a final decomposition stage of compost is humus and the humte humic acids full of acids. Those kinds of things are part of that. They help improve the soil structure. It also has seweed extracts in it as well. You can do it as a folio. You're not going to burn your plants with it. It's but it's really good for transplanting and that's the has to grow six twelve six. It only takes one ounce in a gallon of water and you just I drench it over the whole plant with a watering can get them on the foliage, but you also get it down in the soil, which is the primary place where it's going to do what it does best. Medina has to grow six twelve six. Plant food would be the one I would point you to if you're going to do any planting and oh my gosh, it's fall. I hope you're planning on doing planting. I just am going to beat that drum as long and hard as I can because it's the best time. You know, I'm talking about fall for woody ornamentals, tree shrubs, woody vines, roses. Yes, I know February Valentine's Day is supposed to be when you plant roses. That's fine, you can do that. You can plant them in July if you want, if you take good care of them. But fall is an excellent time to plant roses. Don't wait till Valentine's Day. Do it now, get it done, and that rose will have a head start on the one you planted on Valentine's Day. You see what I'm saying. If you plant now, you're giving them a head start. That is really really important. You are listening to Gardenline. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I got time for one more call, I believe, before we go into our next top of the hour break. If you would like to give a call. I want to talk to you a little bit about Quality home products. I had mentioned them before, and the thing you need to know about quality home is this. They have high quality products of various types, including generators, and they carry the Generac generator, and they have some special deals for trade ins and stuff. You just need to call them and ask about that makes it very valuable a resource for you to have that trade in value. They have done a bazillion homes and a boy right now. People since the storms we've had earlier in the year, have been buying generators because you go without power for two weeks and suddenly generator sounds like a good idea. And that's happened twice for a lot of folks. The reason I like quality Home, the thing I want it, I want you to understand is you can go buy a generator at a lot of different places. But to get a good quality deal and to get everything they offer, you can't get just everywhere. Quality Home starts with talking with you and making sure you get the generator package that fits your needs. You know, what do you need to run the whole house air conditioning and all do you need to just be able, you know, to keep your internet online and refrigerators and freezers from going bad? I mean, do you see what I'm saying. There's different packages out there, but then they deal with all the things that you have to do to get permission to put the thing in. There's regulations and you don't have to jump those hoops. They know how to do it. They're running with you. Then they bring in contractors that are quality home contractors, not people they go out and hire like some generator companies do, to come in and do the work. So you know, you're now you've got a third party or a fourth party out there trying to coordinate all that and make it happen. It's all in house with them, and then once they put it in their service after the sale, they twenty four seven, three hundred and sixty five days a year. They're there to help you with your problems that you might have. If you need it serviced, you need anything, they just talk to them about this. It's family owned operation, a Houston local company since nineteen eighty nine. QUALITYTX dot com is the phone number and excuse me is the website and the phone number is seven to one three Quality. Those are real easy QUALITYTX dot com seven one three Quality. You need to give them a call. We're going into a cooler season now where people aren't thinking about that, and that's a great time to go ahead and start the process of getting one for your home. Let's see here, we are going to go out to Ralph and Katie. Ralph, I have got about one minute, So let's see if we can get this done.
Speaker 9: Okay, yesterday, walking the perimeter of our yard, I noticed the gray circle and you said about the eagle product to put it out next month is but if you already have a circle, what do you need to do on that?
Speaker 3: Well, you can still put it out. You can put it out at the end of September. You can put it out in early October. I generally point to early October because that's when we finally start to get the real col fronts through here that are that are cooling things off. Either way, if you want, that's my answer to your question. If you want, you can send me a picture of what you're calling a gray circle. I'll be happy to take a look at it. And it may be that I see something else in the picture, but if it's truly a large patch, brown patch, what we just talked about is what you need to do.
Speaker 7: Great, Do I call back or just send the picture?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, just no, Just hang on and I'll I'm gonna put you on hold. The producer will pick it up. He's juggling a couple of things right now. To be patient. He'll be back with you and we'll get you. We'll get that picture and I'll answer you by email. All right, sir, thank you. There you go, folks, another hour in the books. I just want to remind you next Saturday, the twenty eighth, I'll be at Wharton Feed. So all of you way down south and west come out and see me, or just out west drop down to work. I'm driving a long way to get there. You can't do if you live in Wharton. My gosh, you have to come out. I think it's mandatory. They're going to be going house to house and warton and can true to show up. We're going to be doing all the fun stuff we do at appearances, Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware a new store down there, cool store. We're gonna have a lot of giveaways too. I hope you'll come out and see us.
Speaker 20: If you have a lawyer, an accountant, a businessman in your family and they're very proud of their office and they only have the classiest things on the wall, and you want something they can add to that collection, go see US coins. They have rare coins, they have rare notes, they have rare memorabilia, rare flags, historical flags, US coins on iten just outside the loop seven one four six four sixty eight sixty eight.
Speaker 3: It's turf grass.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as all.
Speaker 3: Right, folks, welcome back to Guarden Line. Glad to have you with us, Good to be back. We've got I've got a special guest coming up here. I want to I want to take about from eight eight thirty. I think we're going to visit about a few things. You'll see it in just a moment. I'm gonna let the suspense build, I guess for just a moment. I wanted to mention I haven't talked about Star Hope in a while, and I just wanted to mention about Star of Hope. You know, summer is waning now and we're really looking forward to the holidays, but a lot of the people that are homeless here, they're basically looking forward to the next meal. And with Star of Hope, I cannot think of a better use of your hard earned money than to support someone who is in need. Through Star of Hope. The way that they manage and utilize funds is outstanding, and the difference they make is incredible. I've talked to folks who have gone through their programs. I know the kind of work that they've done. I've heard the stories as well. For two dollars and fifty cents, you can provide a meal to a homeless person. And homelessness has a lot of different faces across the Houston area. When you hear the stories, it's like, well, yeah, I never thought about that before, or oh, I see how that would be a problem. Like, for example, you lose your job, you lose everything, you're homeless, you don't how do you suddenly have a way to get a job, how do you get to work? What if you're dealing with the substance abuse problem? What if you got kids and you need daycare and you find some job that's not enough to pay for all the above and end up with anything to pay the bills. Star of Hope solves those problems. So how many meals will you provide? My wife and I support Star of Hope. I hope that you will join us and together we are making a difference. You can give hope and you can give it now by going to Star of Hope And here's the website s O Hmission dot org. I want to tell you this too. This month, three locations of suit Mart are hosting their annual September sale, and a portion of their selected suit sales will be donated to Star of Hope. That's Suitmart. Suit Mart during the month of suit Member, their annual suit Member. That's a good name for it, all right, I just wanted to share that with you. Well, let's end the suspense. Our special guest today is the Texas Garden Guy, Dustin Oak, a friend of mine. Dustin and I have not been friends a long time. We met not too long ago, but I really liked the guy, and I know you do too. He is super popular on the social media. Hey, Destin, welcome to Garden Line. Are you there. It's going well? I can, yes, now I can. Good to talk to you. I was watching some of your stuff online, Uh, some of your online stuff the other day. Is it's just really great and you got I know you have a big following on that and I encourage anybody listening if you if you haven't found the Texas Garden Guy, you need to go. You need to go check him out. Pretty much every social media platform. It seems like you're you're ubiquitous out there. Well, I asked you, that's it, that's it. You're like Roy Kent, He's here, he's there, He's everywhere. Anyway. That's what's the name of that show. I can't even say it, Lasso ted Lasso comment. So I Askedston. I asked Destin to come on and talk about First of all, I want to talk about figgs, Deston, and I know you are a fig aficionado, uh, and a lot about it, and tell us a little bit about uh, you know figgs, Why why you like him? And some of your favorite types of figs to grow?
Speaker 8: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 21: You know, now that we're getting more colder temperatures down here in the Houston area, a lot of people have been losing their citrus and losing their tropicals. A lot of the fruit trees, and one of the trees that I've been recommending people to grow that really can handle the cold. You know, it takes a whipping, it keeps on kicking, is the fig tree. You know, they do with containers. They do well on the ground, whether your soil is well draining or it's that black gumbo in a subdivision. They really don't care. They will grow it everywhere and within the first year you'll get you'll get fruits. So my favorite varieties or any of the LSU varieties. I love the work. I love the purple, I love the LSU black, I love I love them all. He can't go wrong with figs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the purple may be the most common one of those that I see around.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it does really work really well. What was bread, you know, for for this kind of climate down here? So so it does super And you're right, you know, figs being such a fast to fruit, uh is really amazing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Do you ever have to deal with problems on your figs? I know from time to time I get calls on people that have deals, you know, they maybe have polish diseases or some some souring of fruit or birds or any kind of critters like that. What are some of the challenges you might have to deal with or that you've dealt with on your figs.
Speaker 21: I'd say probably the most common message I get is about copper figure or fig rusts. You know, people are concerned that they're you know, their figs are getting rusty looking and they're falling off, and that's fine. Defoliation is common usually usually I'll get it right after the first crop in the spring. I'll get some defoliation, but then it comes right back. It's not really an issue do you need to worry about.
Speaker 8: Some people use.
Speaker 21: Fungus sides and all kinds of remedies, but I kind of just let the fig be the fig and let it drop its leaves and they come right back.
Speaker 8: And they are pretty resilient. Yes, they are.
Speaker 21: And another issue people will get with their figs is they keep losing their figs to either squirrels, possums, or the infamous mocking bird. And I've kind of kind of found a couple of methods that I use to keep them safe from the critters. I use those little Organza bags. People use them for you know, rice at weddings. They put the rice in their little bags at weddings and in them ount those little drawstring bags. You can put them over your figs as they start to ripen up, and typically the critters I can leave them alone, especially if you have insects.
Speaker 3: Issues as well.
Speaker 8: So lots of ways to keep cool. See.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and those are Ganza bags. Those are those are pretty darn handy. I use them for plant breeding, like breeding okra and stuff, because you put them over a bloom and the bugs can't get in there to mess up your breeding plans, you know, in other words, the bees and stuff. It allows you to protect the blooms and so you get to pollinate them. Ravan a pollinator. Uh, those are those are really cool? You know. I grew up with a fig tree. It was south of San Antonio in Jordantoon, Texas, Atascosa County, and we didn't freeze enough down there really at that time, at least it didn't, and we had a single trunk tree that came up and had branches. And I find that now it seems like we get freezes often enough to where we end up. They may freeze pretty far back and we end up more with multi stemmed fig bushes, but tree size. But fig bushes, is that it for you? Or do you try to train years into a single trunk?
Speaker 21: So I tend to try like a trim everything up like a tree. And figs are super easy to prune back because you can't really go wrong.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 21: Most varieties that we have here in Houston are going to be the kind of you're talking about that will die back every single winter when they come back like a bunch of hands and fingers throw on the ground and looks at a giant bush, but a couple of rides that will stay a single stem. I've noticed in my lsu Or rourke white Mersailles have do not die back as hard and so they are actually still a single stem fig tree. So you're looking for like a single stem tree. The white mersai, the white mercies and the lsu Or work have not died.
Speaker 14: Back very hard for me, So.
Speaker 8: That those are true, it will say more the tree form.
Speaker 3: Well, that is really good to know, very good to know. Uh.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: When it comes to figs. Something people don't know is that historically we uh well, well, gosh it, here I go again. I get so into these talks that I forget about the time I got to take a quick break. Can you hang on just a little bit and come back and continue this discussion. Thank you very much. All right, folks, I'll be right back with Destin Noke, the Texas Garden Guy, and I'm gonna jump right back into our conversation we're having with Destin Noke, the Texts Garden guy. Hey, Dustin, we were talking figs, uh, and I just want to continue that for a little bit. And then I got one other topic. I'd like to pick your brain about because I know you know a lot about it. First of all, on the figs, people didn't realize that years ago, like one hundred years ago, this was a major commercial fig producing region. I mean, we're talking about hundreds of acres of figs in the Gulf Coast area here. I don't know if you've run across that, but that's you know, one fig tree produces a lot of figs. I don't know what you do with the one hundred acres of figs. That's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 21: Actually, Paarland actually wasn't known for the pears back in the day. They're actually they had a large, large fig orchards out there in Parland. They were a huge producer.
Speaker 13: There.
Speaker 3: You go, well, so it's a good fruit. It's an easy fruit and for someone wanting to garden organically, fig is one of the top fruit that you can choose that you're not going to have to spray a lot, and you can get to get fruit you're gonna get by without spraying. And I mean there's a sales pitch for figs right there. Let me speaking of sales.
Speaker 21: Hold on hold real quick, I'm gonna say, if you're interested in getting into pigs. We're having our first annual fig Toberfest on October fifth down at Angels and Texas. You can you can find the event on Facebook as a free event. You come, there's a chance you're gonna end up with a fig tree, So come on, come all a bye.
Speaker 3: Well, you took the words out of my mouth. So that's exactly right in Angleton, the Brazoria County Extension, I was Kimberly, mayor the horticulturist. That's your that's your extension horticulturist in Brazoria County. Kimberley is a wonderful agent.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: She's gonna have this and she's going to have some speakers. Doctor Hartman from Texas and M is going to be talking about fig research. Uh. There'll be a talk by Steven Yannick uh from the Victoria area actually on fig trials and the pest disease and varieties of figs that do best. And then deston who you're hearing now, our Texas garden guy will be there talking. Uh, you have to tell me what your topic is. Gonna be Phil's Figs, your old buddy Phil de Angelus is gonna be there too.
Speaker 21: Is that right, Yes, sir, I'm gonna be more of a master of ceremonies and we'll be hosting kind of the thing.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna let the sky talk I'm left talking about.
Speaker 21: I'm we're bringing Phil Phil's Figs down from Wilmington, North Carolina, and actually the fig Hunter from California is coming down as well.
Speaker 8: So it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: An awesome time the fig Hunter. Oh my gosh, and you have to have this thing. Well, I'm trying to do garden line, so I can't go, dad gum it. Well, we will make sure.
Speaker 21: We will make sure to record and try to live stream a lot of it because there's a lot of people that want to come that can't make it.
Speaker 3: So oh, yes, hey, if y'all are interested in going to this, it's a great program. You know, the URLs and everything are kind of funky. Just call nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight. That's the Brazoria County Extension Office nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight again October fifth, from eight am to one pm in Angleton at Lakeside Park. Okay, but but call them. You got to go to this. This is cool stuff, all right, before we run out of time. It looks like I got about eight, eight or nine minutes here. Uh, tell me about the desert rose. I think people when they hear the word desert and rose, they probably don't know what the picture. And this is something I think you've really gotten into. Is that right?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I know for sure.
Speaker 21: I bought my first one a couple of years ago and I was at my buddy Jorges Hidden Gardens and you had this cool looking plant that I'd never seen before. It looked like a potato that had a bunch of branches coming out of the ground and had these beautiful, like almost almost pulmeria looking flowers.
Speaker 8: And I had to have it. I had to have it.
Speaker 21: I'm I'm a plant hoarder, and so you know when I when I see something I've never seen before, I.
Speaker 8: Got to get it, you know.
Speaker 21: And you know, over the last two or three years, I've accumulated probably thirty of them, and I've even started growing up for seed. But what they are there, the type of plane is called a cottiform, and a cottiform is like a camel, you know, it holds all its water in the base and when you buy them nurseries they're typically real swollen and they're submerged in soil. And the coolest thing about them is when you buy them, you can unpod them and you can see how much craziness is.
Speaker 8: Down to manique the soil.
Speaker 21: I mean, it looks insane videos with oh it's so cool looking and there. They really handle our climate really well with the hot, hot spring and summers we're getting. They just they are not full tolerant whatsoever.
Speaker 8: That's the only thing.
Speaker 3: But they're in a container you can bring them in the winter time and stuff. So it'd be a good one for a new gardener who's afraid they can't grow stuff, because it's not that hard keeping them going right.
Speaker 7: For sure.
Speaker 21: As long as they're a well draining soil, they will handle the It will handle pretty much everything you throw at them.
Speaker 8: A lot of first time.
Speaker 21: Gardeners, you know, they want to water, water, water, you know, and this is one of those things that you don't really have to water but maybe.
Speaker 8: Once a week. So it's it's it's something you don't have to worry about. You can just leave it.
Speaker 3: Alone, all right. Well, there you go. I mean you can't you can't ask for much more than that and you said you did? You say you have about thirty of them?
Speaker 8: Oh at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, folks, you get into horticulture and they don't warn you about this, but it is addictive. I'm pretty sure there's a wing of the Betty Ford Clinic for gardeners because you start getting into this and the next thing you know, you got eight hundred thousand plants and you know, the family can't even walk through the house or the yard. Oh boy, but that's fun, isn't it.
Speaker 21: Oh yes, sir, it's not hurting anybody because you know what, you can always send people homew with plants and make room for more.
Speaker 3: You know, there you go, you know, and that's something people need to think about.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 3: Now's the time when you could be taking cuttings from something like a rosemary, for example, getting it rooted and giving it away is a gift plant, you know, sometime for the holidays, or maybe people come over with Thanksgiving for a meal, or you go to somebody's house for Thanksgiving and you take some little Rosemary's that you're rooted yourself. People appreciate getting gifts like that.
Speaker 16: One.
Speaker 21: Everybody has ever been to my house knows you leave with at least one plant.
Speaker 8: You never leave empty handed.
Speaker 3: All right, Well I'm going to bring my pickup when I get over there, so uh yeah, no problem at all. Yeah, there we go. Well that sounds good. Well tell us let's see here. I've got just a few minutes left. I'd like to hear more about some of your online activities. I kind of a chance to tell folks on Instagram, Facebook, you know, where can they see you? How can they find out more and stuff like that.
Speaker 21: Yeah, so I've got to go by Texas guard guy on pretty much every social media platform. Tak Go just got back from a road trip to Alabama that they went to a huge home homesteading YouTube meet up over there. Just posted the vlog of that I did about eight nursery tours. I like to go see nurseries on them in different places and check out se a varieties of stuff they are and so.
Speaker 8: That can do a little bit shopping.
Speaker 21: But so I've posted a lot of those videos on YouTube and Facebook, and then we also do our podcast, The Garden Party every week on Wednesday at seven pm live on Facebook and YouTube, and then you can find.
Speaker 8: It on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. Wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find it there.
Speaker 3: Too, all right, and folks, it's called the Garden Party and just go online, Facebook and YouTube. Let's just start with those pretty much. I buy is on one or the other of those Garden Party on you said Tuesdays at seven.
Speaker 8: Wednesday seven, the Garden Party podcast Wednesday Wednesday, okay, sir, Wednesdays at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Wednesdays and seven. So yeah, I stalked you on your trip. It's like you were posting before you even got out of Texas. You were You're already posting stuff and then you're at this or that nursery and it sounded like a lot of fun.
Speaker 21: It was a blasting getting to meet new people and see different nurseries. I love going to check out nurseries and meeting the meeting the owners and finding out the stories behind out how everything got started.
Speaker 8: It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh gosh, I think horticultural tourism is something that we ought to talk about more and promote more, you know. I on on the guarden Line. I'm always saying to people living in the listening area, you live where there's so many great nurseries. I mean North South. I've been we are we are you know, I've lived in San Antonio area. I've lived in Dallas, I mean Austin. They have great nurseries there, some outstod you're going to go to one of those towns. Call me. I'll tell you which nurseries to go to. But not like Houston. Same thing with Dallas. Good nurseries, not like Houston. I've been to Atlanta thinking, oh my gosh. You know, Atlanta botanical gardens is great. I said, so, I can't wait to see these nurseries, and it's like, where are they? You know, I figured got more than Houston. They're not even hold a candle to us here. This is a great place for garden centers. And so I think maybe maybe you and I need to just get a bus rented one weekend and we'll just we'll do you know how they have pub crawls, We'll do a nursery crawl. Let us go from one garden center to another.
Speaker 8: That's a great idea. That's all we need is me, you, j White, and Jorge will be good.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. I don't know the authorities might get winto that and shut it down cast of characters like that. Oh well yeah, well, well, you know, I really appreciate you coming on. Did you have any other thoughts you wanted to add before we move on?
Speaker 8: No, I just want to say thanks just giving you a chance. Yeah, now, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 21: I love the I love the garden line, and you do such a great job. And you know you've you've been such a great friend since since since you've taken over, and so I just appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate that. Thank you very much for coming on. I think that's great and I wanted to pick your brain on these topics. I mean we could probably talk about others as well, for sure, but it's been good and thanks a lot. I do appreciate you coming on today. You take care and be well anytime. Skip. Thanks all right, bye bye. Yeah that was destined. No Texas Garden Guy. You can find him on Instagram, Facebook, and a lot of other social media platforms that I know little to nothing about. Instagram and Facebook I'm familiar with. But anyway, seriously, you ought to check him out, especially that Garden Party podcast on Wednesdays at seven. That's a lot of fun. He has a cast of characters. You know. Phil Spiggs has comes in. He's from the North Carolina area. He's got a guy from up in the Amarillo area. Not sorry, not Amarillo, a Lobbuck area, Texas Tech a former coworker of mine as a matter of fact. So anyway, it's a good podcast. Well where are we on time here? We're pretty close to a break. I want to just remind you again if you missed that information in the inaugural inaugural that's easy for me to say. FIG Toberfest October fifth in Angleton for more information ninety seven nine eight six four one five five eight nine seven nine eight six four one five five eight. It is going to be a morning through early afternoon full of great FIG information, folks. I'll be right back Lyon had a great visit with Destinoe, Texas garden guy. We are back to answer your calls right now if you'd like to give us a call. Seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I wanted to talk a little bit about the product from turf Star called Carboload, and the reason is it's time. It's time. Now we know fall fertilization needs to be done with product that has a good content of potassium the third number on the bag, because that helps potassium and nitrogen are taken up together by the grass plant. And I like to just as an easy to remember things, think of it as ana freeze for the plant. When you put those nutrients in the plant, it is able to create the carbohydrates. That's why it's called carbo load, to which you are sugars, and it helps cold heartiness. Have you ever made homemade popsicles? You know, you make the sugar, kool aid, sugar water, whatever. You put it in there and you freeze it. And have you ever noticed that at the bottom of the popsicle there's pure water and then as you get up to the top there's this real sticky sugary stuff that didn't quite freeze because sugar water it takes a lot colder temperature to freeze it. Well, that's a real fast analogy of what's going on in the plant. But I think it makes sense. It helps you understand what's going on. You need to get carbo load down soon. You can do it. The end of sep Setember You can do it in early October, but don't delay much past early October. Now it can be applied all through. But the fact that it has a pre emergent herbicide in it, something to prevent weed seeds from germinating, makes me want to push that toward the earlier part of October in case we get in early October this cold front with some rain and it cools off a little bit and suddenly the weed seeds go, hey, fall winters here, let's get going. You want the carbo load down ahead of that. That is how that works. One forty pound bag covers five thousand square feet. Now that one one thing to be aware of is if you plan on overseeding with rye grass, which I hope you don't because that's not good for your lawn. You don't want to use something with the pre emerging in it because it'll your rye grass won't come up. And so but other than that, it is an outstanding product that is from Nelson. It's part of their turf Star line. Carbo Load widely available around the Houston area, and you ought to consider it because it does work. You are listening to garden Line phone number seven one three two one two, five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Uh, you've heard me talk about fix my Slab Foundation Repair Ty Strickland. A good while back I visited with Ty. I had a question about a foundation issue that a family member had and I was just kind of getting it, picking his brain for some information on it, and basically, you know, he said, you know, with that amount of movement, you don't need to worry about doing anything. And it just reminded me. Ty is a straight shooter.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: It's not like you call him and so he's going to say you need work you don't need. He's an honest guy. He's been doing this twenty three years and he makes sure that the customer's taken care of. There's three things that you can guarantee are going to happen when you call Ty Strickland, which is fix my slab Foundation repair two eight, one two five, five forty nine forty nine. Those see things are he's going to show up on time. I'm oh, my gosh, if only all service people would do that. He is going to give you a fair price. And third, he's going to fix it right and he'll also tell you if it doesn't need it. If it's like you know what that doesn't require, he'll tell you that. And my gosh, when I hire anybody for any kind of service or help at the house, I just wanted to be straight shooting with me and I want those three things. Show up on time, give me a fair price, and fix it right if it needs to be fixed. And that's tie two eight one two f I five forty nine forty nine fixmyslab dot com. Got cracks in the sheet rock, got cracks in the brick, you got a door that's sticking. Those are all signs of movement. Don't be an ostrich put your head in the sand. Just give him a call, have him check it out and see if it needs work or not. And if he does, he'll he'll shoot straight with you at fix my slab foundation repair. I enjoyed visiting with Destin and actually got a X a minute ago from someone going, Hey, you and Destin need to do that nursery crawl bus idea. So, Destin, if you're still listening, I think that may have some traction. We may have to get together sometime and and figure that out. It sounds like a fun idea to me. I mean, if you got like you remember the bus on the Muppets, it was rocking and rolling going down down the highway. We woul painting big flowers on the side. Because this is a nursery tour. Right, I'm going to head out the Pleasantville. We're going to talk to Deborah. Deborah, welcome to garden Linet skip.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 23: I just tried to say that overseeding with wryglass for the winner was bad for the yard. However, I have a bare patch that I have killed till the field and don't have time to resaw it until the Spring's.
Speaker 3: There you go. I'm glad to hear those words. Are sinking in out there with oaks. Yeah, No, overseed it, that's fine, those bear spots. You don't want the soil to crust your road. All that kind of thing. You can do it. Here's the thing on overseating, debor overseting is planting weeds in your grass to the grass plant. If you talk to your Saint Augustine or z always your Bermuda turf, it's a you just planted weeds all over the place. In me, Why are you doing that? Because they compete for light, they compete for water, they compete for nutrients. And then in spring, when your grass is trying to wake up and get going, the rye grass is just going crazy growing and it is a stress on your lawn. Now, if you've got one of those properties, it has to be green all year. I understand that, I know why people do it, but I tell you, and professional turf managers will tell you that if year after year after year you're overseeding, you're weakening. And usually that's done in bermuda grass properties, but it weakens it. So I try to talk people out of it. But if you don't do it, I can tell you how to do it. And for areas like yours, absolutely yeah, there's no grass there. You got to get some. You got to cover the ground.
Speaker 7: There's no grass there.
Speaker 23: So annual the seeds versus perennial rye should I just.
Speaker 7: Do the annual to do it what.
Speaker 3: You could do annual annual rye grass comes up faster, but it doesn't have the nice color perennial rye grass has a little bit makes a better grass plant a better color. Uh, And so usually I'll do an annual perennial mix. And so you know where wherever you would purchase that kind of thing, you you would if they have a mix, I would go with the mix. Work's a pleasant bill. I should know that. But it's not ringing a bell.
Speaker 23: It is East Houston, just past just before the ship travel bridge.
Speaker 7: Okay between between, I can and we just go it can.
Speaker 3: Okay? All right? Well good, well yeah, that that's the bottom line on it.
Speaker 23: So hey, and it's not if the guy that lives in me is listening us, would you tell him that you cannot buy Saint Augustine's seeds because he was arguing with me because he was the grass. He's a yard man, all right.
Speaker 3: Whoever it was out there arguing with Deborah, stop it. Don't get in a tangle with her. She will eat your lunch and pop the sock, pop the sack in your face. If you mess with her. You're wrong too. There you go. No, there, there isn't ryegra. There isn't Saint Augustine's seed. I think one time there was some, but it never was something that worked or a good idea. Just get sucked, all right. We solved that he's gonna leave you alone. Now, I guarantee you may send you an apology note after all that. BA, all right, we're gonna go out to pear Land and talk to Timmy. Hey, Timmy, welcome to guard Line. Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 7: Skip?
Speaker 3: I can't hear Timmy? Oh can you hear me?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 3: Yes? I can't? Yes? Is this is this a quick call, Timmy? Or do I need to hold you on after we get back from the break.
Speaker 22: It's it's a quick call overfill myself the other day and i'd recently shocked it. I'd drained the water into my yard.
Speaker 3: Did I do wrong?
Speaker 24: Or what?
Speaker 3: Too much chlorine? Yeah, you can burn. You can burn plants with the chlorine.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And when it's too strong. Uh, there's nothing to do about it now, so let's just watch and wait and hope for the best.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: It may or may not have damaged it. But there's no anti chlorine sprayed to butt down, uh, to undo if there was some damage. But in general I would not recommend that, of course.
Speaker 22: All right, one more quick, one more quick one, Skip. Uh, I've got outside chickens. What's your opinion on chicken manure? Is it helping or hurt?
Speaker 3: Chickens carry certain microbes that make us sick and chicken manure is one of the ones notorious that if you fully compost it, it is okay. If you put it down and mix it into the soil and let it decompose for a while, that's fine. If you're planting something that's edible, I would be more concerned. If it's something that's not edible, like lettuce leaves, you know where that it can splash into the lettuce, then I would be concerned. Okay, I'm sorry I have to go so quick, but I do need to run you bet, I will be right back. Folks. Good to have you with us. We got plenty of things to talk about today. I was telling you a little bit about some micro life products while ago, and I want to tell you about micro grow, the bioinoculant, and also well I mentioned that a little bit and the importance of putting the microbes into the soil that you get when you have micro grow, it absolutely loads things up. And when that happens and diseases try to come in, you've got a number of beneficial microbes that are there doing two things. Some of them actually help fight disease, some of them out compete the disease. On the plant's surface, and so it's like a hostile environment to try to land and infect the plant. That makes sense. Micro Grow bioinocculant comes in a bag and in a jar. Microlife also has this brown Patch fertilizer that is a fertilizer you would apply in the fall. If you go to my schedule at gardening with Skip dot com, you'll see that on there. And it is an organic product for fall application, natural product and it works. It does very very good job. And if you're going to do fall fertilization and you're looking for a natural product for that, and you got that fall fertilization balance of nutrients that I keep talking about, Microlife brown Patch would be the one to do it. And you can find it in a lot of places. For example, they're going to have it out there at in Chane Gardens in Richmond. Have you ever been there? Have you ever been doing Chana Gardens? If you're in Richmond going north toward Katie, it's it's up that direction. It's it's really easy to get to. It's on three point fifty nine. Just I guess you're going up seven to twenty three. That's a FM road. When you get to three fifty nine, you're there. It's right at the corner. It's easy to get to. And Enchanted Gardens is the kind of place where you're going to find everything you need right now. It's fall season, so unbelievable fall color, plants, unbelievable fall decorations indoor and outdoor. Their gift shops outstanding, by the way, but anything you're going to plant and fall, which I hope you're planning on planting a lot in fall because it's the best planning season of the year. Remember, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. The calendar says, get your plants, get your soil, get ready, let's go. Let's do this. And if you delay, then next thing, you know, we're too cold, or some other thing has happened, there's a frost or whatever. You're missing that window of opportunity. Don't delay. Enchanted Gardens on three fifty nine on the Katie Fusher side of Richmond. Here's the website Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. We're going to go now to Cove, Texas and talk to Rufous Hello Rufous.
Speaker 25: YEP I got a sago palm out here, and it's put that ball on like it normally.
Speaker 3: Does you there, yes, yes, sir, Hey, it has.
Speaker 7: Not opened up yet.
Speaker 25: So I went out there and started looking at it, and it's like a cabbage on top. And I pull the leaves back and there's these little mushroom things growing everywhere on the inside. What's going wrong?
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong. That is a female sego palm. There's male that have a little plume of a of a pollen producing structure that's like a cone sticking straight up, an elongated pine cone thing. The females have that little bowling ball on the top, and those are seeds that you see. They make seeds that are on the size of a quarter or bigger right there all over in the middle. And there's nothing to worry about. It's just part of that plant doing its life cycle.
Speaker 25: So you know, I got the free zone and and a lot of the leaves are browned and stuff. I was hoping for the next green foliage to carry on for the next couple of years. Is it going to put those leaves on later on? After this drops off.
Speaker 3: You you probably should see some new leaf growth. You know, we're going into a cooler season here pretty quick. And so we'll just have to see as long as do you have some green leaves on the plant?
Speaker 25: Oh, yes, sir, I do have some?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, well it's okay. You You may see a side branch come out. You may see some pups come out from the bottom, little babies coming out around the sides.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: And if if the worst case scenario is you would, you know, cut the trunk off and let let some side shoots come up out of the base. But I think it's going to be fine. I wouldn't at this point. I wouldn't be concerned. That's just part of what we see on those around here.
Speaker 25: That's my one right there.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, All right, well you bet, you bet. Just be careful boy, those things I had some sharp, pointy things. Kind of hard to get into the middle of that, as.
Speaker 7: You probably found out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, take care. You're listening to guardline folks. Seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Have you tried to products the products from Landscapers Pride. You know they got twenty something products out there, mulches and soil mixes and all kinds of things. Right now, it's fall planting. How about a rose mix. Their rose mix is outstanding quality. And if you're going to grow roses, shrubs, even a flower bed, you can do that with their rose mix. They have a premium potting mix that has incorporated into it a fertilizer, so it gives you an extended release of nutrients. You got indoor plants, you need potting soal. You got outdoor plants, you want to do a container Landscapers Pride premium podding mix. You got some areas in your lawn that are low, that are holes your your lawnmower is banging around and bumping and gouging the grass as you grow because it's not an even soil. Get some of their top soil from Landscaper's Pride, put that out, straighten them ounta and how's a good time to get that done. And finally, of course, black velvet malts. Every month of the year is a good time to malts. Wherever sunlight hits a soil. As Deborah was reminding us a moment ago, nature plants a weed. Wherever sunlight hits a soil, Nature plants a weed. You should never leave bear soil. Nature abhors a vacuum. It knows how to protect the soil from crusting and erosion and overheating and freezing. Put malts on the ground. It does that. Black velvet is an outstanding product, beautifully black, not dyed, from Landscaper's Pride. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com if you want to learn more about it. It's widely available. You're going to find it a lot of the retailers you hear me talk about here on garden Line, whether it's a garden center, whether it is a feed store, whether it is a Ace Hardware store or a Southwest Fertilizer, those are the kind of places where you find quality products from landsca Aprish Pride. Our phone number is seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. We're running a little short on time here, so we may have to bump a call to the next hour, but I just want to give you that number. I was saying you could find Landscapers Pride in places like an Ace Hardware store. Well, Ace Hardware is everywhere, forty stores in the Greater Houston area. By the way, don't forget I'm going to be at the Wharton Ace Hardware store next Saturday from one to three. Be there for two hours doing the thing we do on these appearances, and that is we diagnose your questions, We answer your questions. You can bring me samples. We can help make suggestions for planting areas, improving your landscape. I'll be giving away some giveaways there. You don't want to miss that. And I don't get out that far. In fact, I never have gotten out that far to the south and west. So even if you're listening way down in Corpus Christi or something, well here's a chance, come on up, let's meet. I love to meet the folks. They visit with us. I mean, for the rest of you. Ashardware dot com store locator, that's what you're looking for. Aceharder dot com. Go to the store locator. There's forty stores in the Greater Houston area all the way out to Beaumont, and you're going to find the fire ant control. This is firent control season. Hit them now before we go into winter. Get out there, get that done, all right. We're putting an hour in the books. Today is flying by. But they say time fly, time flies when you're having fun. I'm having fun. I hope you are. Hermit. The frog, by the way, says that time's fun when you're having flies. But I'm just saying, all right, folks, I'll be right back in a little bit. Just one more reminder. I'll be at Wharton Ace Hardware, Wharton Feed and Acehrder is a new place out there on Saturday, this coming Saturday the twenty eight, from one to three pm. Remember that's a little later timeframe than my normal appearance timeframe. So that's your clocks and calendars for that. I hope you'll come out and see me if you want to be part of Figtoberfest October fifth and Angleton called Kimberly Mayer at the Brazoria County Extension Office at nine seven nine eight six four one five five eight nine seven nine eight six four one five five eight for all things figs. And you get to meet Destin out there too.
Speaker 1: Katie r h. Garden line with skimp Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Trim.
Speaker 2: Just watch him astrays not a sound sum All right, all right, let's do this.
Speaker 3: We have another hour a guarden line left to go here and if you have a gardening question, now'd be a good time to call in. It's kind of quiet on the boards right here. Usually that way when we come right out of a break. Seven one three two one two k t rh would be a good number if you want to get on the garden line. Nine seven nine excuse me, seven one three two one two ktr eight. I've talked about a number of different things today, and I like to kind of throw out ideas, perhaps some things that you might want to know in order to have success as you plan your landscape. Fall is for planting. It is the best time of the year to get things done, absolutely, the best time of the year. Nothing nothing like fall for success because you got the whole whole season ahead of you, the cool season ahead of you, for roots to get established in the ground. Well, here's an idea if you're trying to do some landscape planting. I suggest one of the things you keep in mind is landscape color from fold. Now. I talked about earlier about landscape texture, but landscape color from foliage is important in the South where it gets hot. We just went through a blazing hot summer, right and a lot of things don't bloom in summer. We have a few good bloomers but not like spring. But in summer we can turn to foliage. And there's lots of great ideas for foliage out there, for example, Chinese witch hazel. It are also called lauro pedulum. That's the term a lot of people used for it. It's its genus name. It has purplish maroon, purplish colored leaves that are really striking sunshine. Lagustrum right up against it has yellow, bright yellow colored foliage. It's attractive, by the way. Anybody from Lsu might like that combination.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, although it looks a little more burgundy to me, but hey, I'm biased. How about a canna tropicana that is a bulb dies to the ground the rhizome does and to the rhizomes comes back out in the spring with gorgeous, gaudy looking colors. Canna tropicicana is so gaudy that if you put pink flaming in your yard, no one will notice them. They'll just notice the canna. I'm just saying. Abelia's come now, not just in green. But there's types that There's one called kaleidoscope that has multiple colors. There's some that are have some white variegations in the foliage and whatnot. Dwarf and andinas have always been a good choice. There's many different kinds of dwarf and anddinas out there. And then there's the perennials and the annuals. I mentioned one perennial be in the canna. There's one another cannon called Bengal Tiger that's yellow and green striped leaves, very striking, very very beautiful. Pretoria is another good choice, and there's a purple leaf one as well. Then there's things like copper plant and colias and kalladium bulbs. Do you see what I'm saying. You go through summer and you don't have those that don't have to bloom. They look good just as foliage. So as you're doing your fall planting, don't forget that foliage brings us color all year or a can and especially during those blazing hot summertimes. That's just a tip for you to think about as you're getting ready for your fall planting. The folks that Nelson Plant Food have a product that is one of the newest ones in their group and I love it. It is called Genesis and it is for transplanting it's got micoriza, and those are the fungi that get into the plant root and reach out into the soil to bring phosphorus and other important elements back to the plant that the plant can't reach with its own root system. There's other fungi that are beneficial to the microbiome. There's bacteria that benefit the plant. Now, it has nutrients in it, but it's not going to burn your plants. It's a natural source of nutrients. Okay, So when I'm moving small plants to a bigger container, always in that potting salt, mix in some nutristar genesis from Nelson. If you're going to plant a shrub or a perennial, or an herb or a winter vegetable in your gardens, mix some nutristar genesis into that soil and it will help get off to a good start. The stuff works, and I say that because I've used it, I've done it, I've seen it. It is an excellent product. Comes in little clear canisters with screwtop lids, call them jars. By the way, Also, whenever you get on Nelson's product in those jars, remember there are refail stations for Nelson products all over the Houston area, and that's just another way save a little money and also avoid adding more plastic to the environment. Well, let's head out to Spring, Texas and we're going to talk to Mike. Hello, Mike, Mike you there.
Speaker 7: That is Joe.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, how can we help?
Speaker 26: Yes, sir, I was calling a see one of the best time for me to plant my mustard grains, And I got a second question. Is older gentleman told me if the bulls get on my plate brains to soap some kayee pepper spray my greens.
Speaker 3: I've not had success with hot pepper for bugs now it'll keep squirrels out of things, But you can try it. I'm not saying it won't work. I've just never heard, you know, or seen any kind of trials or stuff where they tried that and had good success. So why don't you give it a try and then you tell me how it worked for you. As far as the mustard green, you want to plant them in October. That's a good time to plant mustard greens in your area. You can also plant them in November if you want. They're pretty cold, hardy, but I would do it in October. It needs to cool off just a little bit for mustard to be really happy. And as far as the bugs, what I do is I get some stuff called row cover fabric. It's a very fine polyester spun material that you get at garden centers and you put it over the mustard when you plant the seed. You can put some little sticks in there to hold it up so the rain doesn't get it in the dirt before the mustard comes up. But air goes through it, water goes through it, and it's like a screen porch around those mustard greens and all the caterpillars and beetles that like mustard can't get in. But you have to do it before the bugs get in, otherwise you're trapping them inside the cafeteria, if you know what I'm saying. Oh, thank you, roc up. Just yes, sir, you bet, Thank you very much. Appreciate your call. Let's see here we are going to go to David in Spring Branch. Hey, David, welcome, regardline.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you for taking my phone call. I had a question about my palm tree. It's only like about shoulder high, but it looks bad and I think it's a windmill. It's Coharty. It looks like a faded green leaves on it, and it looks groopy. It looks groopy as well, and I wanted to make sure there was no answer there or anything like that. I really didn't see any insects there that were could be affecting it.
Speaker 3: What do you propose, David, David, Yeah, it's going to be a soil problem, and I'm hitting up against a break. Basically, something's wrong in the soil. Too wet, too dry, I don't know, more likely to saggy. Is a problem. But if you want to hang on, we can continue this right after break. But I have to go for the news right quick, and i'll be right right to those. I want to remind you that I will be at Nature's Way Resources on October twelfth. That's a ways out, but I want you to get ready for this one. This is our fall festival and it is a I've officially declared it is a shindig that means fun lots going on, Latin food, local vendors, plant sales, live music, children's activities, and I'll be there from eleven thirty to one thirty and I'll be answering gardening questions I may stick around a little longer if you guys are still going and we're having fun doing it. Remember that at Nature's Way Fungal Friday sale is still on twenty percent off fungal compost, which you can use for top dressing if you would like to do that. You don't have to get leaf Moo compost, but you also get their fungal composts. Both of those quality products from Nature's Way work very well. You can also just mix it into the soil to build the soil stronger. It's an excellent compost for that. At Nature's Way Resources, which is go up I forty five north right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Agnolia, Turn right across the tracks Nature's Way right there nine three six two seven three one two zero zero. Remember October twelfth. I'll be there for their Fall festival, and you do not want to miss that shindig. We're going to go right now. Back to David and Spring Branch. David, you're talking about your palm tree symptoms. I just wanted to add it's something in the soil. It could you know, it could be soggy, wet conditions that are just oversaturated for too long. Chances are you're not watering it that much, but if it's getting over there, and maybe that could happen. The worst case scenario is there's something called butt rot. Now that I didn't make that up and the ten year old boy and me thinks that's pretty funny, But bunt rot is a fungal disease called ganoderma butt rot, And when it's there, there's no treating it. You'll notice the new growth coming out is going to be yellow and pale and it's just going to decline. And should that progress to that point, you need to get it out of there. Get the base and as much of the roots as you can out of there. Because the fungus survives on plant tissues, So remove and destroy all of that plant tissue, the trunk, the base, and some of the roots before you replant in that area. Okay, any kind of wound on the trunk helps helps that particular disease enter. So just something to think about other than that, watch the watering on it. Maybe give it a little fertilizer if it's struggling a little bit, a palm fertilizer. But I think it's going to be a wait and watch Okay.
Speaker 7: Well, if it gets to that point, if I have to take it out, do I replant it elsewhere?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, you can't plant that plant, but you can buy another one and bring it in. Yes, and it probably be better. If you could put something else there, probably be better. But if you can get all those organic the plant parts out, then I would say you probably could go right back with another same kind of palm. All right, Hey, I got to run, but thank you and good luck with that, you bet. I wish you the very best. If you're looking for a way to have the most beautiful landscape on the block, that is called Pierscapes. They are professionals. They have designers on staff that can design the whole nine yards for you. If you just want to redo a bed, if you want to you know, I've got some plants that are wimpy and they're not surviving in this climate very well, and you want to replace them. Peerscapes can advise you on that as well. They do quarterly maintenance where they come in every quarter, they take over the bed. Every quarter they come in, they're gonna weed, they're gonna trim, fertilize, check the irrigation. Do any aeration that's necessary, change the seasonal color out. You know, the flowers that are going to look good in the next season. Add mulch. That's all available from Peerscapes, and all you got to do is go to the website Piercescapes dot com. Puerscapes dot com. Drainage poor drainage in areas, you want landscape lighting, you want a beautiful rock barbecue patio area in the back. You see what I'm saying, Go to pierscapes dot com. Look at the kind of work they do. It is amazing, gorgeous. Let's head back out the pair land. Now we're going to talk to Sabrina. Hey, Sabrina, good.
Speaker 16: Morning, Skip.
Speaker 23: Hi.
Speaker 27: I have a question, and I'm sure you've probably addressed it before, but here it goes. I have some landscape services scheduled and we're having new beds new malt and I'm concerned because I was thinking about this. It seems like every time we do anything in our yard, we have ants. Whenever I plant my pot, my flowers and my pots, seems like the ants just take over everything. And I'm wondering if there's anything that we could do beforehand to try to alleviate this problem that we're having. I know in the past we have used I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, are you are you're talking about fire ants? Are you talking about fire ants?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 27: They're red, yeah, and I guess they bite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you we need to find out what kind they are for sure, you have they bite, they're probably finance. Or you just get a friend you don't like and have them come over and tell them they have to walk barefoot across the yard and standing talking and if they start screaming, that's fire ants. So seriously their best Yeah, Okay, they're best controlled with a bait. Okay. Fire Ant baits are the best way to deal with them because it's the minimum amount of pesticide at a very low rate over a huge area and it even mounds you can't see underground. They have roving credit roving you know ants. Yeah, that are finding food to bring back and they'll bring the bait back. So get you a fresh bait. You said you were in Paarland, right, yes, and there in the Pearland area, you right there in town you got Pairland, Ace Lumber and Ace Hardware. On North Maine they will have for baits. There's several of them. There's Ambro, there's advance base baits, there's extinguished that's an excellent one. But they'll put you in touch with one or more of the baits. Follow the label, put it out. You may need de bait again a little bit later. But fall is the best time to do it, and it's the best way to do if any escape that you can follow up with an individual mound treatment. You know, some may pup, but don't just don't just use the dump it on the mound and kill the ants treatment, because then you're playing whack them mole with fire antce. You know, you kill this mound and the one pops up and you kill it and another one pops up. Do the baits. That's the way to go. And at Paarland at the Ash Hardware they got those.
Speaker 27: Okay, okay, And another quick question, do they actually you know when I put like flowers in my pots and then they get invaded with these ants? Are they harming the ant? The ants harming the plant actually that I've just potted also? Or is it doesn't harm the plant at all?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're not harming they some plants like Okay, I'll just this in your pots. But like okra, they'll get up there and they'll eat into the but the buds or the yeah bud okay, okra pods to get some moisture and protein out of there and stuff. But in general, they don't they don't attack plants. They are a protein feeder. They're looking for They're looking for caterpillars and flea larva and anything that's proteiny. That's what they're eating.
Speaker 27: Okay, all right, all right, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I will try that, all right, Thanks appreciate that, Sabrina. Thanks for the call. Uh let's see, we're gonna go to Cypress and talk to John. Hey, John, welcome to Gardline.
Speaker 28: Hey, thanks for having me. So I've got a very common question regarding dollar weed. We get dollar weed in our yard, especially the front yard, is what really bothers me, you know, every spring, and I treat it with which is strange because it gets plenty of on it's on a slope, good drainage. But nevertheless, we get a big patch of it right in the middle of the front yard and I treat it with I believe it's bonn eyed weed beater ultra, which I know Randy lemon I mentioned that, you know, a long time ago, and it works. It works great, although I end up with these little patches of you know, dead spots waiting for weeks until the Saint Augustine kind of filled it in.
Speaker 7: But my question is why does it keep coming back?
Speaker 1: How can I just kill this?
Speaker 26: Well?
Speaker 3: Dollar weed has some underground structures that you may not get all of those that it primarily is coming back from those, So that would be you know that that is probably what you're seeing. There are a number of products. The bone eye that Randy had recommended works well. I try to watch out for the temperature though on those, you know, when you get up above eighty five degrees, some of those can damage your Saint Augustine lawn. And that's where I typically will shift over and send people to get celsius that you can buy on little packets that make one gallon of spray, which goes a long way if you're if you're spot treating, uh, that that is an option. There are other options out there for dollar weed control and they work. You just have to watch the temperature. Okay, okay, Celsius and that's that's all on the label. Yeah, that's all on the label too, So just always read the label. It'll tell you what grass you can use it on. It'll tell you any restrictions like temperature for example.
Speaker 28: Uh, and frustrate stop it from coming back.
Speaker 7: You know that's the thing.
Speaker 28: I keep thinking I'm killing it, and then then in the spring it comes right back, almost comes back worse, getting worse, and well.
Speaker 3: So, okay, a couple of things to do. The denture your lawn gets the more it fights weeds. But dollar weed can co exist with Saint Augustine even when it's dense very well. So look at your watering schedule. Anything you can do to dry the swell out as much as possible between waterings, that would be good. So instead of squirting it every day, you know, once a week a good soaking, but not much more. If there's bad drainage in the area. Anything you could do to improve drainage and dry it out a little more, it slows the dollar weed down. Otherwise, you know, it loves to live in a swamp, and so the wetter it is, the harder it is to fight because the dollar weat is just so vigorous. And they say at that point, okay.
Speaker 28: Okay, all right, great, Thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: That's the cultural thing you could do, all right, but you may want to try switching to the celsius. Go ahead and hit it now with the celsius, be ready to again in the spring. I think that you know, it's one of the better products, and it's even though our temperatures are high. If you do it early in the morning, you can have that celsius work without doing a lot of damage to your lawn. You know, it's not liking u celsius in ninety five degree weather, but if it's early in the morning, you can use it and it's not going to be as much of a problem as some of the others that want it. Gets above eighty five, it's a problem.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, thanks a lot, all right.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that dollar weed. One time I was in a I was in a grocery store, I believe it's a Vietnamese grocery store, somewhere south east of Houston, maybe over toward Beaumont, I believe, anyway, and I saw a drink and it had dollar weed on the picture on the front of the can, and it is exactly what it was. It was a drink made from dollar weed. I had to buy one and drink it. You know, I'll put anything in my mouth once just about and I had to to try this stuff, and oh my gosh, it was like k ro syrup sweet. But they say, well, if you can't beat them, eat them. Well maybe maybe dandelions, maybe chick weed. I'll do that. Yeah, not dollar weed. I couldn't do that one. But that's an interesting approach to dealing with problems like that. Oh gosh. You know, when it comes to having success in your garden and your landscape, it really just boils down to the simple practices of sunlight and soil and good plants and good care following that. And so here's what I mean. Does it want to be in shade or sun? Does it take what soil or not? If it doesn't, you got to build up the soil in a raised bed, make better drainage, and you have success, and then give a good fertilizer. It's not really that difficult. Well, it's time for me to take a break and I will be right back our last thirty minutes of the show today, in fact, last thirty minutes of this weekend on Guardline. So if you got any questions that we can help you with. It'd be a good time to talk about those I wanted to tell you about Affordable Tree Care, and I do all the time. I talk about Martin spoon Moore, I talk about his wife Joe being the ones that answer the phone. This is a business where the owners are still actively involved. You make a phone call to Affordable Tree Care, and if you don't hear Martin or Joe on the phone, you call the wrong number, hang up, dial again because their number. You want to write this, just write this down and keep it because you never know you or maybe a neighbor has a tree issue. Seven to one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three. And if you want to go to the website, it's Afftree Service dot com. But I want to tell you October through February is primetime for getting your trees pruned. And everybody else wants to get their trees pruned then too. So Martin's schedule fills up. Don't delay. Give him a call now, get on the schedule. Maybe you don't need him to come until January, but get on the schedule. Get that done. He will prune. He does deep root feeding. He'll check the trees overall health. If you've if you've noticed that a tree is like the ground is heaving up a little bit on one side, you know, the tree root base. Any kind of movement down in there. Uh, that's probably from the last storms that did some of their movement and damage to it. Give Martin a call, have him take a look at that and make sure it's all good and safe to go, and he'll advise you on things. The October February is really a short window when our best pruning time is here, So call now to get on the schedule. Martin stays busy because Martin does good work. It's as simple as that. That's also why we love to have Affordable Tree as a sponsor here on garden Line, because I know I can send you them and they're going to do a good job. So aff Tree Service dot Com seven to one three six nine nine two six six three. We are now going to go out to tom Ball, Texas and talk to John. Hey, John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Skiff. Have a couple of quick questions.
Speaker 16: One is.
Speaker 5: Fertilization. I did the sweet Green probably about four or five weeks ago.
Speaker 7: Okay, was it too?
Speaker 5: Did I wait a bit? Or what's your thinking on that?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 3: If you if you did sweet green, then I would in early October, I'd go ahead and put down the nitrofoss Fall special winner.
Speaker 7: I okay, okay.
Speaker 3: The sweet Green is a lot of super slow release. No, it's a you know it's going to break down pretty quick and release the nutrients.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so the Nitropuss three step that's going to be the higher potassium fertilizer to help your grass build the carbohydrates to have winter heartiness and come out stronger in the spring.
Speaker 7: Perfect.
Speaker 5: And one more quick question, Skip I called last week, I'll think about bermuda and so trying to choke out my say in Augustine, Well, I'm doing that, but now it'srill fin in a bunch of areas. You know it's got bermuta but a thrill fin. Back in the day you did sand. But that's not the way to go anymore.
Speaker 3: What's your suggestion, Uh, if you want to make the bermuda, you want to make the bermuda happy, I'd get a compost top dressing. You were up there in the Tamaul area, so you're not that terribly far away from Nature's Way Resources, which is up on I forty five where fourteen eighty eight comes in, and they've got every Friday is fungal Friday. Get I like the leaf mold composts that they have, but I also like the fungal compost And just call, you know, talk to Ian or one of the folks there and just tell them what you want to do. You talk to me on guardline. You're wanting to do a top dressing on your bermuda lawn and so you need something kind of screen down. Fine, and they've got that product. They they know what we're talking about. When you call them and they'll get you set up and that you can do. You can go pick it up if you've got a way to do it, or you can have them deliver it if you want to go about it that way.
Speaker 7: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Thank you having a going Yeah, thank you appreciate the call. John, John very good. Yeah, And I should have mentioned this when John was talking about while you're there, while you're doing nightro fast Fall special, get the barricade out because that prevents grassy weeds in thin areas. It where sunlight hits the soil. Nature plants a weed. So unless your lawn is just so thick, no sun can get to the soil, you're gonna see weeds pop up from seed because that's what they do. That's what nature does to prevent bear soil. Nature hates bear soil for good reason. So barricade put down in October early October, don't delay. You can apply it all October, you apply it November and all of that. But I say, why not get it done ahead of time because that barricade is gonna last you a couple of two three months easy, and so go ahead and get it down, especially in the cool season, and get it down and then let's cover that whole period where these will be sprouting and you won't be dealing with them in the spring. Then Nitro foster eagle turf funge aside is a systemic that helps prevent the large patch or brown patch. It also helps prevent takeof patch, which is really really important. You know, John's up there in the Tomball area and you're going to find you know, these kind of night fosh products at plant troll seasons of Tomball Parkway, for example, and Chenny Garden's din and Richmonds and those of you live up in the woodland shades of Texas has them, so it's easy easy to find those kinds of products from Nitrofoster. Let's go now to rop in North Houston. Hey Robert, welcome to garden Line. Hey, good morning, Skip. Hey Skip.
Speaker 24: I heard you make the analogy about the h the kool aid and making water, you know, harder to freeze. So it got me thinking, ID I was wondering if you if you watered plants with sugar water before a freeze, would they take up the sugar water and help you prevent or slow down the freezing process.
Speaker 3: And now it wouldn't. It wouldn't. The plant has a natural way of doing that, and that is sunshine on a green leaf. That's how you get carbohydrates. And the plant is designed to know how to do that. And and potassium is an important element in that process. But you need a little nitrogen with the potassium to go together. That's why we have our fall special fertilizers. But yeah, let the plant do it as the best way. I wish, I wish the other would work. But uh now, okay, one more question real quick. I heard you last week about the air potato is that edible, and if so, we're some horses for it. I do not think it's edible. I've seen them, you know, gardeners that love those to wrap around the pine trees and things. The only thing about air potato is it can be invasive, and it just depends on the area you're in and you know how close it is to other things. Always pick up all those potatoes when they fall if you have one, because you don't want to, you know, just have a bunch. It's not like kudzu, but but it is a potential problem. So be careful with the air potato if you're going to grow it. Okay, well, thanks so much for the information. Appreciate you you bet, Robert, thank you for calling. Take care Okay, you do good. Good rest of your weekend. When was the last time you went out to Arburgate. Well, if you haven't been recently, you need to go Arborgate. Is I tell you that place you ought to see it? I was looking, dad, That is just checking out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: You just stand there and you look, and I mean you could stand in one spot for thirty minutes and not see everything that there is at Arburgate because there's all kinds of landscape bling, you know, beautiful things to put in your landscape decorations. There's plants galore, gorgeous pottery. I want you walk in. You just have to walk right past the pottery. If you come in the front door. By the way, there is a backdoor. It is that parking lot that's all weathered on off Trischel Roads. So if you drive past Arburgate and miss Trischel, it's coming back in on the other side. It's a loop behind Arburgate. I like that back patio best because it's easy to get in there and walk right in and be in business. Arburgates gift shops are loaded with beautiful stuff, beautiful stuff for Halloween decorations, for Thanksgiving decoration. I think they're even getting some Christmas stuff in already, So you need to go by there. Arburgate dot com is the website. Go there, subscribe to the newsletter and stuff too. While you're there. You will not be disappointed and take some prinds when you go. All right, time for a break. I'll be right back. Gad to have you with us. I was out in my garden this past week and do some multching, and I ran out a multch and it reminded me. You know, I thought, I know, always know better than this. I do this mental math in my head and I think I got enough, and then I run short, and it reminded me. There's a this is an author unknown quote, but this is so true. Here he goes. My rule of green thumb for malts is to double my initial estimate of the bags needed and then add three. That way, I'll only be two bags short. Unfortunately, that is too too true. We're gonna go out to Spring, Texas and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 13: I'm preparing to put a new grass down and what what is the preparation process once once the ground is completely cleaned of all weeds and all everything.
Speaker 3: First up, Yeah, first start, you want to get any pernial weed out of there, whether it's bermuda grass in a Saint Augustine to be planted lawn or whatever it is. You know the dollar we's we were talking about earlier, Virginia button, whatever it is. Kill the stuff, don't let it come back in your new lawn. Then you want to do a light tilling if you can, if it's practical, to do that. Get the old organic materials out of the way, because you want the sod to touch the soil rather than a bunch of dead weeds. If there's any areas that need to be filled, now's the time to do it. Get it all smooth. That way, when you mow, you get a nice even mowing, not one where the blade is tilting and gouging the ground as it bumps along. Get that smoothed out, and then get your grass down and do it as soon as you can. We are still warm, but it's not gonna be warm for a long time, and once we get into November, grassroot growth is slowing a whole lot, and so I would suggest asap getting all this done. In order to get that grass well rooted in. You want to water it every day for the first week, every other day for the second week, and then you can start to back off that watering schedule, especially as things cool off, you can back off a lot.
Speaker 13: So don't put any weed forgive on it before you put the new grass.
Speaker 3: Do not, absolutely do not put a pre emergent herbicide down before you put the grass down, because here's what's gonna happen. Those herbicides. When weed seed sprout, they keep the roots from being able to form. They make them stubby, they won't grow. The same thing will happen to your Saint Augustine roots on the side that you lay down on top of a just put down pre emergent herbicide, your grass's not gonna be able to root in. So do not do them ahead of time. Afterwards the top of the ground fine, but right now I would say this first. Now, let's get that stuff rooted in. We'll worry about pre emergence next year.
Speaker 14: Okay, what if I kind of put some humus and manure mixed in.
Speaker 3: You can mix maybe say an inch or so of that into the soil all over the place if you want to.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's gonna help for a little while, but not a long term, and don't overdo it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: Be kind of light on that.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: But once you get that grass, our number one goal now is to get the weeds out of the way, the ground prepared and level, and the grass down and those roots from that sod down into your soil a s A p and down coming in.
Speaker 13: The last thing I want to say is before you put put the put the new grass down. Should you would all like to water it the ground before you put to the side down or just leave.
Speaker 3: It dry if it's if it's very dry, yes, get it moist because that way the roots go down into moist soil. If if the soil is too dry, they're not going to be to grow into there.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Uh, but the watering you're doing is also going to get some water down into it. You're not putting a lot, you know. When we're saying water twice a day or and then once a day, we're not talking about putting two inches of water down twice a day. We're talking about, you know, just a little bit. You want to keep it moist because your grass is coming in with about a half inch to three quarter inch long roots and that doesn't do much, you know, and so asap, getting those roots in the ground is how that grass gets resilient. And so we're babying it along for the for the first little bit so that it can get roots down. But also just just get that done soon, Mike, because you'll end up with better stand.
Speaker 13: So it's okay to lightly water it before you put the new down.
Speaker 3: Yes, if the soil is dry, that's helpful. So the roots can go into moist already premic and soil. That's helpful.
Speaker 13: Appreciate all you have, but yep, yeah, a great day.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, love it all right, I appreciate, appreciate your call.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Might all right, folks, there we go. Uh there's the advice on lawns. You still do it, but don't delay. The more you delay, the less the less helpful it will be for that grass trying to get going. So anyway, I want to remind you that I am going to be going to where Wharton Feed Ace Hardware next Saturday from one a little bit later than normal, one to three, one to three pm. Grab you some lunch. You may have to bring me some lunch because I'll be flying down the highway during lunchtime. No, seriously, Wharton Feed one to three pm. When I'm there, the Lockley's owners of Wharton Feed and Ace are going to be providing some giveaways. They're going to have some plants from green Leaf Plants. They're gonna have a gift certificate from the muck Boot Company, and then Nitropos be there. There'll be a couple of bags of fall special that I've been bragging about all day. We'll be giving the two bags of that away, begin two bags of barricade away. So come out you might get lucky. If not Wharton Ace feed and hardware, or excuse me, Wharton Feed and Ace. That way I got to say it right, is gonna have plenty of those ninety fives and other products on hand. But come on out and we'll have a really good time. I'm gonna have some Texas Gardener magazines available out there too, some even not tried looking at the Texas Gardener. You gotta subscribe. That's a great magazine, and I have a couple a few copies of it to pass around. So come on out and see me. And you know, you can always bring me samples of plants to identify her to diagnose. If you got a bug crawling around you don't know what to do, bring it. I'll get it under a hot lamp and you know, put it through the make it confess its name, and we can that way get to the bottom of it. But we're gonna have a good time, and I'm looking forward to coming out for those of you way out southwest like that, even past Wharton down toward Corpus CHRISTI direction come on out, let's meet and let's get that opportunity. I don't get out that way often enough, in my opinion, so I hope you will do that. I love quotes. I love quotes on gardening because so many of them are are true, so true. A guy named doctor Alan Armitage, who is probably one of the most famous ornamental horticulturists in the southeast US. He's from Georgia originally uh and just a prolific writer and speaker. He said gardening simply does not allow one to become mentally old because too many hopes and dreams are yet to be realized. And that is so true. I'm going to tell you the best garden I've ever had in my life is my next one. It's true. It's true. You buy a fruit tree, you got that little tag with pictures of fruit on it, don't you just picture and taste? Right then what's gonna come? There's always hope for the future with gardening. And this is this is scientifically true. I'm talking about research that are dealing with dementia, people that are dealing with depression. When you get out and you play in the dirt and you plant stuff and you get involved in that. It is really therapy. Since I like quotes so much, here's another one. It's actually a little rhyming one. When I'm overwhelmed and stressed and unable to think, I go out and garden. It's cheaper than a shrink. That's true. It's good for you. So I hope this week you will have a wonderful time out in the garden. I hope that you will get out there. Remember, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. It's time to get stuff done. So get out there and have some fun in the garden. Whatever you like to grow good, and then call garden I next week we'll talk about it. You got any questions, be glad to do that. I want to remind you My website is gardening with Skip dot Com. Gardening with Skip dot Com. There you will find my lawn care skill when Defertilize, information on mowing, watering, and applying micronutrient supplements to your yard. There's also the plant Disease, weed and insect problem schedule that tells you for the insects through the year, when do they, When does chinchbugs occur? When does sild webmorms? Occur. When do you treat for grubs? It's on there for diseases. How about brown patch or large patch? How about take our root rod? How about gray leaf spot? When do you have to worry about those? What do you do about them? The products are there, whether you're organic or synthetic, All of it is there. Makes it real easy by publications on nuts edge control, how to build a weed wiper, and on and on and on are all on that website and they're all free. See you next week.