Speaker 1: See coming to a seven thirty two fifty five ker City talk station normally on that German Music's plan. I'm staring at a bunch of people in the studio that are surrounded by beer and brats and food and pastries, all things German. Because it is Octoberfest season. Why is my studio empty? I'm just joking with you. Welcome, Welcome back to the fifty five care Morning Show, mister German hair Don Heinrich Toltzman.
Speaker 2: Good to have you back on, Brother Guten Morgan, Guten Morgan, Bryan and I do. We greatly appreciate all the work you do for German heritage in the German community.
Speaker 3: We really liked.
Speaker 2: Your program and glad to come on and talk about the Octoberfest season.
Speaker 3: And it really is a season. It's not one single.
Speaker 2: Event and I'll be talking about that, but it's this season is widely celebrated in our area. And it's not surprising because Cincinnati is a major German heritage center. There aren't many people German background are settled throughout the US, but there are only three cities that are especially strong, Cincinnati, Saint Louis and Milwaukee, and together they form what is called the German Triangle, and in our in the tri state area, i'd say well over half the population has some German ancestry somewhere in their family trees.
Speaker 3: So I often say too that if.
Speaker 2: You don't understand German heritage, you don't understand our area, because it's an influence just about everything. And I've written a lot about it. Over the Rhine, the beer barns, the Robling Bridge, and I want to thank you for inviting me to come on so I could talk about the books in the pasting. I think they help explain our area.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was steeped in German heritage. You know, I always joke around it. I don't think I have any German I mean, but I always feel like I'm part of the fun because, let's face it, yeah, all these festivals are simply about fun. You know the word gimuthli kite. We joke about that all the time, a sense of fellowship and fun, and ment's face it, anywhere you're putting, you bet a bunch of beer and a bunch of happy people filled with schnobs and strudel and amazing German sausage, along with the dancing and the kids and it's how can you not have a great time and feel German? Don I mean, that's what it comes down to.
Speaker 3: Well, we are a.
Speaker 2: Brewing heritage center always, I've been going back to the nineteenth century now. With regard to the october Fest season, a friend of mine last year tried to count up the number of Octoberfests and he came up with around twenty. So I followed up and I got together. I stopped at around forty. And the reason is there are many groups churches, breweries, restaurants and so on that they celebrate october Fest and it really reflects the popularity of commute kit as you mentioned, popularity of German heritage. So there's no way I can talk about all of them. But aside from being a historian, I'm also a president of the German American Citizens League, and that's an umbrella organization for German societies in our area. And many people might not know, but there are about forty of them and they range from the smaller, middle.
Speaker 3: Sized to larger groups.
Speaker 2: So I like to highlight them because they can be considered very authentic and information can be found about them on the Facebook site of the German American Citizens League.
Speaker 1: Staring right now, don because we're going to take a break and we'll bring it back to talk about some of what's going on in the upcoming the short term. It's German hyphen American Citizens League of Greater Cincinnati. You type that in your search Facebook, it will pop right up and you can go ahead and click that like button, like so many thousands of others have done. So pause, we'll bring har Toldsman back. I got to start off, and you can prepare yourself. I know you've provided people with the reason there is a celebration called october Fest and various forms going to ask about that, and then we'll get to some of the details about ones that are coming up. It's seven thirty six right now, and I want to mention Peter Shabrier Kellerwilliams seven Hills value. There's a reason you need a real estate agent, whether your buyers are solid agent good real estate agents, and I would argue great real estate agents, which is what you're going to find a Shabri group of Keller Williams seven Hills. They can help maximize the sell price your home. They can keep you out of trouble when you're out looking for homes to buy, just so many reasons why you need a great real estate agent. That value is why they get a commission, and the commission rules they have changed. She was on the Morning Show a week or so ago explaining how this is going to work for your benefit. You'll get better real estate agents and it probably will cost you less than the prior situation. You can go back to the podcast on that one to learn the details. But of course his entire team knows all about it, and they've got programs that nobody else is offering. The Instant Instant Offer program and then the Cash the Keys program, where you work with the Shabri Group and you leverage Anni Max cash to make a cash offer in your home. That'll put your chances of winning in a bidding war, which sadly are still going on out there because of the shortage of real estate inventory in the area. You can get ahead of the folks by a huge, substantial percentage. So learn more online. Go to seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Call them up again, Cincinnat's number one real estate group. You're going to get that five star experience five one three seven zero eight, three thousand.
Speaker 2: Fifty five krc Men.
Speaker 1: When addressing this one five KRCD talk station, Don Heinrich Toltzman, Man, he is an amazing author, you know, Don, I was just looking at Amazon. He type in Don Toltzman, Geez, how many books have you written?
Speaker 3: Man? Quite a few.
Speaker 2: But I would say I have so many possibilities to do research on here in the greater Cincinnati area. Brewing has been mentioned over the Rhine and Spring Grove Cemetery that was created by Ottolf Straus was the superintendent of landscaping there and made it a really a masterful piece of landscaping. So there's just many possibilities. And I would say too a large number of the works I have translated from German, and the reason being was that these are the only sources of information, and I felt they needed to be made available because they weren't. This is especially true with regard to the Civil War wrote and many people are not aware and it's not recorded in books in the English language. How the large contribution to the Union Army of the Germans made.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, are well read all about it. And I also noted and I thought it was a timely that I observed this. She wrote the book about the Weedeman, the founder of the Weedeman Brewery, George Whedaman, Northern Kentucky's beer baron the man and his brewery. We're having a listener to lunch next Wednesday at weedem and brew House in Saint Bernard. No connection. I don't know if it's the Weedeman family, but I thought that made sense to remind folks you've written a book about him. But she's Louis. So many books on German history. It's just it's overwhelming. So thank you for your contribution to history and documenting all. This the only place you can find much of what Don Holtzman has written about or Toltzman's written about. So onto October Fest, and before we get to some of the events, what is the genesis of the celebration? Because this has been going on for one hundred of years, hasn't.
Speaker 3: It It has.
Speaker 2: It goes back to the anniversary celebration of the wedding in Munich of Crown Prince Ludovich to Princess Teresa Ozaksa hillsborg Hausen, and they were married on the twelfth of October in eighteen ten.
Speaker 3: And there.
Speaker 2: The wedding celebration proved to be so popular it became an annual celebration and each year it got bigger and better. There many booths and beer tents were added from the breweries in Munich and developed into the festival known as Octoberfest. This season, it was moved back into September because of inclement weather, and that's why in Munich it does begin on the twenty first of September now and goes through October sixth. So that's why people ask why does a beginning so earlier it had in Munich. It had to do with inclement weather now, so for those that time period in Munich, it'll be celebrated then. But I have to say that we have a longer season of Octoberfest because in our area begins at the end of August and then it does go up to the early October, and our season it began this last weekend. The Germania Society had its october Fest. It began celebrating in nineteen seventy one and it actually pioneered celebrating october Fest in Cincinnati. Had began in harrist Holme Park on the West Side, and for many years it has been at the Germania Park and Coloring Township. And this weekend the season begins with the Liberty Home German Society in Hamilton, Ohio.
Speaker 3: It begins.
Speaker 2: Later at today and continues on through Sunday, and the opening ceremony is five pm on Saturday. This will be its fifty eighth anniversary and its Liberty Home is one of the many German societies. The big Octoberfest we have here is Octoberfest Cincinnati, and something about the history about that is interesting. In nineteen seventy six, the US celebrated it's bi centennial, too hundred anniversary, and so the German American Citizens League, which I mentioned, recommended that the city celebrate German heritage by a city wide Octoberfest for everybody to celebrate German heritage, everybody, bring the city all together and celebrate for the weekend of the Mutelishkite.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: We've worked together with the Chamber of Commerce on that. We do have now the largest Octoberfest in the US, second only to the one in Munich, which by the way, is our sister city. And we have many exchange programs that go back and forth, students and firemen and art exhibits. There's all kinds of connections that we have to the sister city.
Speaker 1: Well as well we should be sister city of Munich. I mean, Lord Almighty, and it is a neat thing. I mean, you know, a little old Cincinnati often overlook. You know, we're a flyover state and low and behold the second largest Octoberfest outside of Munich. I think that speaks volumes to our the proud, we the hew proud we are of our German heritage.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, another great thing is we have had the october Fest Cincinnati in the downtown district for some time since nineteen seventy six, but this year has a great and beautiful location. It will be at Sawyer Point along the banks.
Speaker 3: Of the Ohio River, which it's like the American Rhineland.
Speaker 2: And it will take place Thursday through Sunday, September nineteenth to the twenty second, and as usual, we will have a brass band from Bavaria. And another interesting thing about it, a presenting sponsor is Sam Adams, which the brewery in the West End and it's brewed by Boston Beer Company, and that was founded by Jim Cole, who actually is a native Cincinnati and of German descent. And we's been here and he'll be here this year. We'll have a procession on the Saturday of the fest.
Speaker 3: With Jim will be there.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: And we also we always have city council members from Munich that we'll be here. And another great thing, we'll have this huge tent. And so your point, they're a great big beer tent.
Speaker 3: It's just going to be great.
Speaker 2: So the fest continues on with the Donah Schwaben Society. They have their fest at on October fourth through six. It's the thirty second anniversary. They're located in Cole Rane Township, and I know you've been there. We had a beer out there, well.
Speaker 1: Yes we did. Don Since we're out of time, I'll remind my listeners German American Citizens Leaguer Greater Cincinnati keeping tabs on all these and we'll have you back as these events get closer to remind people what's going on in the details. Harol Holdtzman, keep up the great work and thank you for documenting our wonderful German heritage here in the Greater Cincinnati area.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Brian, keep up the great work.
Speaker 1: Thanks brother. I'm just I'm happy to be in a position to do it. Take care of yourself. We'll talk soon. We're gonna catch ourselves at crime stopper. Back out of that, we hear just a second. I first, though, need to steer you in the right direction, and that is USA Insulation premium foam and the xtery walls of your home. You pay for that part and you'll get a free attic insallation from the USA folks, and they will, and then you'll be eligible for energy tax credit next year. That's twelve hundred dollars. That's complements of your federal tax forms to take advantage of it. Get the foam in the exterior wall, to be doing yourself a favor instant noticeably more comfortable home the day they install it. Average home installed in less than a day. So you get that free attic insallation. And then every month, if you run in your HVA system, you're going to save heaploads of money. The product pays for itself. Note your energy built gone up a lot, hasn't it. We'll make it go down with ussa's phone. Don't know whether you need the insulation or not. It's a free inspection and free quote because you may be under insulated like my daughter's home was, and that's why we bought the phone for her new home three eight one three six two sixty five one three three eight one phone Final online USA Insulation dot
Speaker 2: Net fifty five KRC for decades, the mafia head