Speaker 1: But Justin Worsham has joined us. We talk about parenting things.
Speaker 2: Human populations need two point seven children per woman, yep to reliably avoid extinction.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna need you to pull your weight, Shannon. We need you to get it together. Tony Helper, Tony. Yeah, they they're talking about that.
Speaker 3: If we don't maintain an average birth rate per woman on the planet of two point seven children, then uh, then they're in the long term that could leave to an extinction of the species. In the more short term, what they're seeing a lot of is that family lines, which I love that they put it on like we're all royalty, like we care.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, anybody here like I am.
Speaker 1: I listen. I love my father, my grandfather, love all of them. But if I was the.
Speaker 4: End of the worship, do not need this line to continue?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 4: Just continue this.
Speaker 3: We're bringing what do we bring it to the genetic pool realistically? I mean, I know I'm a good time, but I'm bringing a lot of high cholesterol, a lot of diabetes.
Speaker 1: I got near sighted, a stigmatism. The preacher Gray like, we don't need that in the gene pool. And you're the sperm that won. I was one on the top.
Speaker 3: Of the line as far as my father was bringing to the table back in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 5: Garry said that to me recently and it was eye opening. He's like, well, you at least one one race, And I was like, oh, my god, is it?
Speaker 3: The first race came in first, and then it's just a series of seconds and fourth after that.
Speaker 1: God. The other thing that I.
Speaker 3: Thought was interesting is that they what do they say, more so already we have more females than males and they believe they're not good. Yeah, they've known for a long time that they think that that is supposed to account for just unknown things, that having more women on the planet leads to obviously more people being made right, and so that there's some kind of evolutionary trend that does that. I also started looking at just kind of other data that I thought was interesting about birth rates, and it said trends in completed family size vary slightly by educational tainments. So this is from a study in twenty twenty two that found that in nineteen eighty, women aged forty to forty four with a bachelor's degree or more had the lowest birth rate at two point two children, and women with a high school degree or less had the highest at three point one to nine children, and that the same order persisted in twenty twenty two with a narrow range. So in twenty twenty two, women with a bachelor's degree had one point seven children, and high school degree or less have two point one point four, which, with all due respect to anybody, I have some college I put on my application, so I would lump myself into this. This seems to be we are trending towards an idiocracy type situation where their whole premise of that movie was that people who should not be having children were the ones were having more children.
Speaker 4: Was such a prescient film? Was it two thousand and five?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Macau and Hong Kong have the lowest fertility rates as of this year in world, at point sixty nine and point seventy four, respectfully, and Chad, which is a country in northern Central Africa, has the highest at five point nine four children per woman.
Speaker 1: WHOA, yeah, they average six kids per wow. Yeah. Somalia is at five point nine to one.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, how many people do you know.
Speaker 3: That are like I'm not, I mean other than Chanlan, like, do you feel like I feel like there's more people that are not having kids.
Speaker 4: I have more friends now that aren't having kids.
Speaker 2: Well, and here's the thing. My kids have said they don't know about having kids, yeah, which is like, well, I thought you guys were kind of fun, Like I had a fun time. Why would you not want to have kids.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of pressure, like to put on yourself to think that you made me turn them off?
Speaker 1: Like I saw what it did to you guys.
Speaker 4: Think there's a lot of I don't want to money.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's environment, environment.
Speaker 4: It's it's bringing the kids into what world or the whole bit.
Speaker 2: And I don't and I don't ever remember. I don't remember having those thoughts in my head about it now.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't. I mean, I don't know why grant different world different times.
Speaker 5: I feel like the Internet ruined all of that because it opened our eyes to so much more, so much more period to be afraid of, to be afraid of. And it's just overwhelming, really, is what it is. It was so much simpler when it was just your family and your friends and that was the unit, and people had kids and that was it, and your purview was your world around you really, and then you go to college, you meet some new people and then their their world opened you up to their world. Now the whole world is right in your pocket and it's overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Well, if you do plan to have kids, we have a new rule of effective parenting in this seven seven seven rules.
Speaker 1: I like this, but it's exciting.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's also common sense. Okay, how happy summer is making me? Right?
Speaker 1: It's not so?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's beautiful, feels like summer because you've had a week and a half of just glorious.
Speaker 1: Do you like? Get her out of a box?
Speaker 3: Like she's acting like she didn't see before ten am today, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was all overcast a cloudy like it's been.
Speaker 2: The past few days. It was, But I mean she is very excited now, look at her face.
Speaker 1: I continue to talk about it, she's not.
Speaker 2: She can't hear us tending just to my left, Gary and Shannon kf I AM twenty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Justin Warsham has joined us.
Speaker 2: When we're talking parenting, the seven seven seven rule of effective parenting.
Speaker 3: Now, I did a parenting podcast for probably what I want to say, at least seven years, somewhere in.
Speaker 1: That range, maybe longer. Actually might have been ten. And I've never come.
Speaker 3: Across this rule, but it definitely parallels a lot of the advice I would get from like child development specialists and pediatricians, people that I talked to on the show just parenting, you know, authors, and so it is a seven to seven seven rules, so it breaks down the different kind of generations of a childhood. So the first zero to seven years, the focus as a parent is on play, so your kids learn through having fun activities and interaction. And then from seven to fourteen is where it's more about teaching them lessons, So your interactions become more like coaching, and a lot of you know, can the way they I want to say lecture, but I'm sure that's not what kids want to hear, but I definitely know that's what I'm guilty of. And then from fourteen to twenty one, it becomes guiding where it's like and that's I feel like, even though my younger one is he'll be fourteen in the next month, but I've seen that transition where it's like when they become teenagers, you have to start, and it's hard, but you have to start letting them do their own thing and kind of fail while they still have the safety net of home and hopefully you can just you point them. I spend a lot of time going this is the direction I would go if I was you and your brain is telling you not to listen to.
Speaker 1: And you want to go one n y way.
Speaker 3: And I was talking to my buddy yesterday about this, where I said, I go the thing my dad said to me when I was like ten, He goes I said, like, I love you, and he goes, well, in a couple of years, you're gonna hate me. You're gonna think I'm an idiot and that you know everything, and we're gonna fight a lot, and you're gonna turn like twenty one twenty two and we'll go back to being buds again.
Speaker 1: And he was definitely right.
Speaker 3: And I've said my version of that that I said that to my kids, but I have a different version where I tried to better it, and I said, now that you've ventured this phase of your life, your brain is going to tell you that I don't know what I'm talking about, or that I'm being mean to you or whatever I go. And I would like to ask that you ask yourself, why would this person who loves me a lot and just wants what is best for me do things to ruin my life? And if like genuinely try to see it from that perspective. And I don't know how often my kids do it, but I know that I don't fight with my sixteen year old as much as I did when I fought with my dad, Like, we don't have those things.
Speaker 1: That's also a very advanced question for a kid.
Speaker 2: And I would also say, specifically for a boy, to ask him the point about that, because I don't. I would have never thought my parents tried to ruin my life. Every time they said no to something, they're ruining my life. And I never would have wrapped my head around the well, the point is they're trying to protect me from either hurting myself, hurting somebody else, hurting my future, you know, setting myself up for failure or something like that.
Speaker 1: I would be be I.
Speaker 3: Just felt like my dad was just so mean when I was a teenager, That's what I was. He was so mean, and I remember thinking I just wanted to be right, which is the other thing I told my kids, I said when I was your age, I just want to be right once. And here's what I have to tell you. It's not going to happen like this is not it's not in the cars for you. I go to miss every time. But I had like, this is the sweetest thing. My son went on a date with a girl and they were talking and they were he one of the things he likes about her is that she's very close with her family, and family is very important to them, and he said he goes. Both of them said like, he goes. I couldn't imagine ever being mad at my parents because at like the lunch table they talk and a lot of the kids complain about their parents. And he was like and she was like, yeah, same thing. And again he could be sucking me a sucking up to me, or and it's working if he's manipulating, because I was like, oh, thanks man, Yeah, he's totally thanks for thanks for ruining Mike, You're very easy to manipulate.
Speaker 1: We have time to talk about that.
Speaker 3: That seems it just seems like a horrible time in the segment to drop that up. No, don't back battle, and that's say you made that up.
Speaker 1: No you did it, No, you did it. All jokes are based in truth.
Speaker 4: How would I know that? What have I ever tried to manipulate you? I don't know, and it's working.
Speaker 1: Point proven. That was stupid. I don't want to be here anymore? Can we go ruining your life?
Speaker 4: He's a little bit okay?
Speaker 3: Not the sarcasm also isn't helping because it's not really sarcasm.
Speaker 1: It's just mean, said with a sarcastic tone. Oh that was hurtful.
Speaker 4: That was so act.
Speaker 1: I did know.
Speaker 4: I am very sarcastic, but hurtful.
Speaker 1: Am I still hurting this? I can't remember now? John? Now you're better now, jesu lout. I just felt like I was Jedi my trick. I'm not gonna lie like manipulated.
Speaker 4: I was so oh my god, stop it? Wait? Do you do it to me too? Did you guys ever get to the seven seven seventh things?
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 4: I was playing Connections?
Speaker 1: Oh, I rest my case.
Speaker 3: She also manipulated me about paying a quarter percent attention.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember hearing she use all of her brain.
Speaker 5: But I don't Hey, listen, I didn't hear you guys say focus on play and focus on teaching and all that you did.
Speaker 1: That was at the very beginning. When how did your connect for what.
Speaker 3: Were you playing? Well?
Speaker 5: I finished wordle in three No, I think I finished it in four. But I'm onto connections now. Connections be stuff to speak to.
Speaker 3: Her, like immense strength and manipulation or my immense weakness and manipulation.
Speaker 1: Neither. I'm afraid to answer any of what you just said. I gotta no, no, I'm not lying. This is not a bit like I need to.
Speaker 4: I need to get to the bottom line everything your.
Speaker 2: Manipulating living with a woman, is it?
Speaker 1: It? Don't dare you don't They'll try to distract me with that.
Speaker 4: Mary and Joel.
Speaker 1: All right, now I'm done. Now I'm mad. Hope you're happy. I have a great week. Everybody go take a bath and.
Speaker 4: I don't have any hysterical take a bath, smile more.
Speaker 1: Thank you as always,