Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Joining me in studio as customery on Tuesday nights in nine pm is none other than the inimitable Nick Polliochini.
Speaker 3: Your vocabulary is so incredible Mo truly just in general. But yeah, I always feel so well educated tuning into Later.
Speaker 4: With Mo Kelly. It's all in act. So it's fine.
Speaker 3: Thiseers is quite attractive, I do have to say that much.
Speaker 2: So how are you Boss? Always good to see what are you wearing tonight? For those who amped.
Speaker 3: Out in my Universal fan Fest Nights which actually starts this week, so that's going to be the big focus of all the details. In fact, I literally came right over the hill before the show, got to try some of the food, got to experience a little bit of that, and then I will be back there Friday night for opening night, and then I'll be back there on the ninth of May, so I'll be doing quite a bit with Universal Studios. The thing that's really cool about this, if you have ever done Halloween Horror Nights, that is something that is incredibly synonymous with Universal Studios, and what is happening now is specific to that you will be able to as you can see if you're visiting us on YouTube right now, you can get a little tease of the fan fest activities that'll be happening. But in the Halloween season you get all of the Halloween things. And so what they're doing is taking the same footprint of a lot of these walk through houses and attractions and giving them a whole new flavor. So Star Trek, if you're a fan of Star Trek, they'll be there. Of course, the two existing things that are in park all the time for you at Universal Studios Hollywood are going to be Super Nintendo World with Super Mario and Friends, and then you'll also be able to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. So all of those things are there and will have an even better representation for you. But what is exciting or will be something for you to experience is going to be a Star Trek, which is not. In fact, I got a little bit of a sneak peek and I'm kind of excited about it because if you watched the series Picard on I watched some of this, so okay, when you saw the Enterprise D from the Next Generation, when you saw the bridge that was in that series, so they had to recreate it from the original series that had been retired. Yes, it's kind of been piecemealed out and a lot of different people from the Star Trek world own parts of the original Enterprise D's bridge. They actually took the bridge from Picard the series and will be on that set as part of one of the experiences.
Speaker 4: So very cool.
Speaker 3: If you ever remember attending Universal Studios years ago, I'm going to say eighties and nineties, they had a Paramount experience and you're able to experience the original series of Star Trek and now you're able to experience a whole new world by getting a little peak at a Picard but also a special walk through attraction which if you are familiar with the lot, they did a Walking Dead year round Halloween event for a couple of years and that is just up on the upper lot near Universal Plaza.
Speaker 4: That is where Star Trek Red Alert will be.
Speaker 3: You'll be able to experience it back on the back lot set and in World Experiences they're calling them. You'll actually be able to go to where certain scenes from Back to the Future were filmed, and so that'll be a whole experience for you. Also, Dungeons and Dragons Secrets of Water Deep will be there, and I actually got to see some of the dungeon masters that will be available for you, and some really incredible villains from Dungeons and Dragons will also be available. And then you've got one piece, which is anime. They have the Grand Pirate Gathering happening up on the upper lot we talk I have not you should, but I will because I also.
Speaker 4: That's where I got to eat the food from.
Speaker 3: So if you look at Nick poll okayor this Week of with Nick on Instagram right now in the stories, that's also a link for you to be able to see us on YouTube. But I also gave you a preview of one of the meals that you'll be able to enjoy while you're checking out fan Fest at Universal. Also, Jiu Jitsu Kaisan Hunger of the Cursed is going to be going on. That'll be a thing for you to experience. So there's a lot happening, and I think the thing that I'm excited about this specifically is because I love Halloween. We all know that that's not news if you tuned into Later or KFI or Coast or anything here.
Speaker 4: For the time I was with, iHeart.
Speaker 3: I specifically am a huge fan of the immersive experience, and this is a whole new level of that. Because we've talked about it briefly, we'll talk about it as it comes up, because it should be August, Horror Unleashed will be coming to Las Vegas at Area fifteen. That is going to be a year round Halloween experience from Universal Studios. But specifically that's this whole thing, and I'm excited because as opposed to Disney, who does a lot of these after dark events, and I always encourage you to really go because it's a fantastic time to get really short weight times on attractions, even if you're not into that specific idea, or if that's not you know, maybe you're not a fan of a certain portion of the Walt Disney you know Canon if you will, maybe Star Wars is not your thing, but Star Wars Night is going on right now and it is still not sold out at Disneyland. It's a great time for you to experience all the attractions here at Universal Studios.
Speaker 4: Hollywood.
Speaker 3: That is a very different story. There is a very different story because these are immersive experiences like you've never had. So John Murdy, is this the Mad Scientists or has been the Mad Scientists behind all the Halloween events. I hope to meet some of the team coming up here soon with Universal, but it's exciting and I and also they added late to the game, Wicked will be there, so you'll be able to meet Glinda, and Glinda and Alphaba they will both be there, and so much more. Like there's more and more things that I have been privy to but can't really speak on quite yet.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you about that, because a week or so ago we were talking about the slow evolution of city walk sure as it leads in the Universal Studios and how Universal Studios is building out that park. They're also building up hotels around the property. What did you notice, if anything, about the change. It's really a different world. And I was going to say we did talk about it. You guys talked about it here on later. Having walked through it today, there's so many new businesses that are coming, both restaurants, bars.
Speaker 3: So it's not dead dead. It's not dead dead. And I think that's the thing. As opposed to Wall to Florida, where Universal Orlando is truly a resort. You have to always remember that Universal Studios Hollywood is a theme park that they shoved into a working studio.
Speaker 4: So it's very, very different.
Speaker 3: So when you're talking about the Hilton or the Sheraton, which overlooked the property right now, that's where the vast majority of people were being put up who were filming things up until the recent pass when there was a theme park there. So you can also see Universal Plaza, you can see one Universal, you can see NBC Universal from the one to one freeway as well as part of the one thirty four as you're coming over here towards Burbank. And so it's very interesting, but so many businesses are closed right now, and there's not a whole lot of footprint of anything once you're on site, as opposed to maybe Not's Berry Farm and Wayna Park, You've got lot of things around that area, Disneyland and Anaheim, You've got plenty of things going on here. You're kind of in Universal City. And granted you can go across the one to one over to Venture Boulevard and go over to Studio City, but there's not a lot going on there, but the things that are coming to City Walk I'm stoked for because that thing is as opposed to the Orlando Resort, where they have really leaned into their city Walk and having incredible restaurants and bars and nightclubs and everything else. We never really had that here, sadly, and so I'm excited to see what's going to be coming, especially with the new summer season right around the corner. We've also got the brand new Fast and Furious. We're waiting on that one for the roller coaster to open, and so many other things that are being added to in and around. So I think, you know, even though a lot of Universal's resources have been focused on Epic Universe, which is getting ready to open Memorial Day weekend their third gate down in Florida, there's a lot that's being put into here, So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 4: Are they really, and maybe I'm just reading too much sure of this.
Speaker 2: Are they saying we're not going for the family quote unquote family fun.
Speaker 4: Sure, we're going for the.
Speaker 2: More tweens, teens, young adults, a little more edgier fun.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm going to agree with that.
Speaker 3: I do have plenty of offerings because obviously Super Nintendo World and Mario, that brand goes to family friendly one hundred percent. Harry Potter for the most part as well. Wisiting World is the same, although during Halloween it gets you know, the death Eaters come in and he really gets a darker turn, but it takes a beautiful turn for the holidays when Christmas comes around for the Wizarding World. So I think that what and this is something like we talked about and you were talking about earlier about going to the theater, going to the movies. I think they're looking at who is spending the money where and how. So that's why I think they're leaning into those who have more disposable income. Family vacations will always still happen, but if you look at historically our resorts here, be it at Universal, be it at Disney, and be it at Knots, those are a lot of locals that are coming over and over and over again, as opposed to Florida, where you have Kissimi and you've got Orlando, and you've got SeaWorld and Universal and you've got Disney properties. I mean, you've got four gates for Disney, you've got three gates for universal gates, meaning the different theme parks that they're available. It's literally built out to be that way, and people come from around the world to visit Orlando and Kassimi as opposed to here we get a lot of maybe folks coming off the Pacific rim. That's always historically been a very big thing, and that's why Tokyo Disneyland, if you ever go to Tokyo Disneyland, is a near copy, a carbon copy of Disneyland here because that is where the vast majority of that tourism group demographic was coming from. If you go to Tokyo Disney c that's a different ballgame altogether. But that's also very unique because it's owned not by Disney but by Oil Land, Oriental Land, and Sea. That's why it's sixty eight dollars a ticket tick right in, and that's the thing to think. It's only sixty eight bucks to get into the parks there. Thank you, Sam Goochime good chime in there. Sixty eight bucks. So they do not have an anualassoord or program in Tokyo right now, purely because sixty eight bucks, I mean, that's two movies at this point in time with popcorn and candy or that's dinner for four, Like, it's very inexpensive. And on top of that, depending on where the dollar is against the en, you're able to really enjoy a lot of merchandise, shopping, a lot of things. Oriental Lendency is very very smart with how they develop things. I mean they literally close their Space Mountain completely. It's being demolished all the way to the ground. And in twenty twenty seven to twenty twenty eight is when they'll be opening a brand new Space Mountain like we've never seen with a whole new ride system inside of it. So there's so much else happening in that realm. But also to go with Universal specifically, as they're talking about here, Universal properties in Asia are incredible and the things that they do to pour into it. I mean, I'm so ecstatic, and it's been a long time since I've been really stoked about something a Universal because I love it's in our backyard. I love the history that's behind it. But you don't get a lot. We don't get a lot here now. We Florida gets incredible things, but they have the land and then spice and everything else here we have a physical working studio, to the point that Universal the company has sold off portions of the back lot to other studios. Now not only were they contracting and still contracting, but like it's piecemealed out, so you'll be able to go through things. But you have to think Fast and Furious. The three D attraction just closed, and you've got also Peter Jackson with his King Kong three D. That's King Kong three sixty. Rather that could be on the chopping block here in the near future, but there's so much happening the thing that I would be excited. I think this is kind of like the not to go off topic a little bit, but the studio tour is where you experience or previously experience the Fast and Furious portion of the attraction. Here in Florida, it's a free standing attraction.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: There's talk that they're going to turn it into oz and we might be seeing Wicket as the very closing sequence for the new newly imagined studio tour that's coming.
Speaker 4: That could be its own theme park, could be.
Speaker 3: But that soundstage where Fast and Furious was right would be epic to be able to have a way for you to actually go on a ride and go through and meet and greet the Wizard and Alphaba and Glinda.
Speaker 4: But I know we gotta go. I want to coming back. Though we're coming back. I got so much more. But like I'm excited. So I know we got a good break, but I got more for you?
Speaker 2: What's up with Nick Poalochini more? In just a moment, It's lad with mo Kelly. We're live on the iHeartRadio app and also YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 4: What's for you? What's what? Caf I?
Speaker 2: Mo Kelly, Nick Polio, iHeartRadio YouTube video, all the things, Nick, take it away, I got it.
Speaker 3: So we were talking about FanFest nights that start off this Friday. They are select nights all the way through May, and that's happening at Universal Studios. But let's take it to the Free ninety nine world. You and I kind of I mean me for sure, but live in the South Bay. So this weekend I've talked about it before, Open Studios, Long Beach, but this is going to be arts Open Sam Pedro so open Studios and Galleries happening both Saturday, and Sunday, Saturday from noon to six and Sunday from noon to four, and that'll be April twenty six and twenty seven. This is a great opportunity for you to get out. And again we're always talking about spending a few extra bucks on your local community and what's in your own backyard. And one of my favorite places to go that I've talked about many many times is Crafted, which is at the Port of Los Angeles, and it is a collection of many artists who have between food and drinks and flowers and soap and candles and you name it. All the goodies are there. So you've got so much as you can check out in the San Pedro area. But it's a great opportunity for you to get out. A lot of the studios will be avail even if they're not at the facilities, such as Crafted, which is a big warehouse. But there's gonna be dance parties going on. They've got looks like Tango Lessons, Dance Factory, Folklodco, Ivy League Suit Okay, lots of stuff going down. I mean yeah, I was like at this point, I'm just kind of looking over some of the events. I'm like all right, well that sounds interesting. But the thing that's really cool going on Sunday, the San Pedro Ballet will be performing as well as giving some novice classes if you will, So if you're curious about ballet, that's something to check out. You can get details about all of this by checking out event bright dot com Arts Open San Pedro or just check out the link in bio at a Nick Poliochini or this week I with Nick. Also, if you are out and about and are going to be happening to be in the La Live Downtown LA area on Saturday, keep an eye for Staffushani because we will be I know he may not be here now.
Speaker 4: He missed it last year, did you or something?
Speaker 3: I missed it last year, but he went last year and so Pizza City Fest Los Angeles will be happening both Saturday and Sunday. Tickets are still available both at the general admission and the VIP level. Steffush and I will be there on Saturday, so if you happen to be heading out, be sure to say hello, snap a picture with us. Always love to meet listeners, so that's a great opportunity for that. And then the last thing that's going on this weekend it's been Filipino Food Month, and also this weekend is Filipino Weekend at Disneyland, and so there's actually a special event that has been really hard to come by. I actually will be there on Sunday, but happening at Pixar Place Hotel, which used to be a Paradise Peer hotel which has now had the whole Pixar overlay at the Great Maple Restaurant. There, they're actually having a special so calf Filipino Food Month celebration. So if you're interested in it, you can check it out on again Nick Pouli o'kinny this weekn and Nick event Bright also has it by looking at Filipino Food Month. But it is an opportunity for you to go into a place that doesn't usually serve that are specifically cultural in one way or another unless it's attached to a movie or attached to Adventureland or Frontierland or whatever it is. So there's some really fun things that are going on. But you can also again check out event Bright or this week of a Nick Nick Poliochanni the Lincoln Bio and get more information about Filipino Food Month, which will be you know, wrapping up the end of April. So that's enough. It's enough. It's enough to keep me busy. But it's so much fun. And I think the thing that's so nice right now is that we're getting back into a time period where the weather is nicer. And I love that we live in southern California because we really can do so much outdoors all year round, and so we really are spoiled in that regard, and so go to kind of going back to CityWalk. There's a lot of stuff coming to it back with you, and that's the thing is I'm excited to see what's coming. For a long time, it was the very stale things that had been there for years, and that's great, but CityWalk really, I mean, the funniest part is there's an Abracarm and Fitch that was there for years and that will become a new store now. And there are many many restaurants that have been there for years that I had never even thought about attending, and now the new places are coming and I'm so excited for so it's nice to have something on this side of town. I am hoping sending out big hopes, hopes hopes with Cedar Fair having purchased six Flags. Along with that whole merger between Nottsberry Farmer and six Flags, I'm hoping that we'll be seeing some nice things coming to the future of six Flags. Magic Mountain up in Awesome Town or Valencia, So we'll see, because it's another opportunity for you to enjoy a place to go for the summer season again.
Speaker 4: How can they find all this information? Again? Social media?
Speaker 3: You can find me Instagram is probably the fastest and easiest, but Nick Poliochini which could be a little bit more challenging. So this Weekend with Nick is the easiest link in bio for both will take you to all the things I've talked about today tonight and so much more for you to check out in and around the Southland.
Speaker 2: Yes later with Mocheli caf I am six forty live everywhere, the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube. Don't forget tomorrow we are giving away tickets to Disney on Ice.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Disney, and the only.
Speaker 2: Way you can win the tickets is to watch the latter with mo Kelly YouTube simulcast because the clue you need is only available on the YouTube stream, so you might as well just sign up now subscribe, Just watch us every single night and enjoy the fun and see the show. If you don't know what Daniel ferguson our video guy is doing, he has all sorts of what they call b roll. It's talking about a subject and we have a video component to compliment everything that we're doing.
Speaker 3: You're missing out if you are not checking this out on YouTube seven days a week, well seven days a week to get anything that you miss, but definitely Monday through Friday seven to ten pm here on KFI and YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty