Speaker 1: God channeling is dinner clerk.
Speaker 2: Get them Dives makes the cat backhand sign.
Speaker 3: Dustin off that gold globe said, you want my spot, come and get it. Wanna take your shot?
Speaker 4: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Think you're looking real hot.
Speaker 1: Come and get it.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 2: Come get it.
Speaker 3: If you won't it, I got it.
Speaker 1: Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 5: I got it best overall, Miss Dan Klass Padres fans can line up to kiss our sp ring.
Speaker 3: You gotta do what I do if you won't my spot.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Dodgers on Deck. Now your host walking you up to first pitch.
Speaker 7: Tim kays Hi, everybody and walkome in to mo Wrongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck, Helpe, you're well on this Monday night. You're world champion Los Angeles Dodgers forty three and twenty nine as they sit alone atop the NL West. Tonight the start of a four game series against the San Diego Padres, and after six hundred and thirty three days.
Speaker 1: He is back on the Mound Show.
Speaker 7: Hey Otani takes the hill for the Dodgers in the series opener, First Pitchman Dodger stadium is coming up at seven to ten.
Speaker 1: Over the next hour, we got a lot.
Speaker 7: To get to here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. You're gonna hear from Dodger general manager Brandon Gomes.
Speaker 1: That's coming up in about ten minutes.
Speaker 7: You're gonna hear for the manager himself, Dave Roberts. That's coming up in about thirty minutes. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vaz say, we'll join us throughout the show. We've got your Dodgers magical moment, and in just a few minutes we'll head over to the Galpin Motors broadcast booth with Steven Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: Yesterday, the Dodgers finished off the Giants to remain in sole possession of first place in the NL West. Dustin May got the start. The right hander win six innings. He allowed three runs, six h struck out three, had some control issues, walked for hit a couple of batters. The Dodgers offense so gave Dustin May all the run support he wouldn't need. Starting in the first Andy Pajez a sack fly that had the bases loaded and scored a run. Dodgers grabbed the early one nothing lead. In this second, Tommy Edmund flexing his muscles.
Speaker 8: This one swung on drill the right fielding deep hit his headed back.
Speaker 5: Toward the wall.
Speaker 6: It is over the wall.
Speaker 2: To home run.
Speaker 8: Tommy hadn't in his ten poeme run of the seasons a solo shot and the Dodgers lead it two to nothing. But I got a cutter that was left up out over and he just annihilated him.
Speaker 7: Solo home run for Tommy takes his tenth of the year. Dodgers up two to nothing. Dust and May his control was in the issue. It was on displaying the fourth with two outs of single, then he hit by a pitch of batter. An RBI single from cost made it a three to one game. Next batter Jung Hu Lee a two run triple and the Giants took a three to two lead. In the fifth, the Dodgers top up with the lineup got the offense going show a Otani a leadof single.
Speaker 1: Bookie Betts followed the single to center.
Speaker 7: Three batters later, a pitching change, then two to one, two out for Andie Pius.
Speaker 8: Well, what pitch that one has swung on and a hammer tape to the left field. It's heading back toward the walls.
Speaker 3: God a three.
Speaker 8: Run home run and the pass with home run number thirteen, and he fetch the score over and the Dodgers now.
Speaker 3: Lead it five to three.
Speaker 8: Oh, he got one, a slider right down the middle, and he absolutely obliterated the baseball.
Speaker 7: A three run home run for Andy Pojez is thirteenth of the season. That's the top tier play of the game, brought to you by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less.
Speaker 1: Dodgers a five to three lead.
Speaker 7: Andy pajaz is on a heater Folks betting three thirteen with four home runs and seventeen RBI in twenty one games since May twenty fourth. Dustin May win six innings, turn it over to Alex Vesia, who put up a zero in the seventh. Kirby Yates gave up a solo home run in the eighth, but limited the damage.
Speaker 1: Dodgers a five to four lead.
Speaker 7: In the ninth, Tanner Scott struck out the side ball game over. Dodgers beat the Giants on Sunday Night Baseball, five to four. Dustin May the win. Tanner Scott his thirteenth saved Dodgers take two or three from San Francisco. They now got a lead atop the NL West by two over the Giants, three over the Padres, and now the Padres come to town on what it is a big night at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 1: A sold out crowd.
Speaker 7: Expected at Dodger Stadium as show Hey Otani makes his Dodger debut on the mound for the first time since coming to La All eyes on Dodger Stadium at number seventeen, first pitch of seven ten and with more we head over to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we welcome in Steven Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 5: All right, Tim Kats, it's a happy Monday indeed at Dodgers Stadium, not just because the sun is shining or because the Dodgers in first place and he got a big series against the Padres Mullets. Because for the first time in six hundred and sixty three days, show Hey O'tani will take a Major League mound. He's going to show off his two way prowess for the first time in Dodger Blue.
Speaker 2: August twenty third, twenty twenty three, the last time that the show Hey Otani pitched on a major League ballgame, and Dave Roberts was asked a couple of hours ago as he was meeting with the meeting. He goes, hey, look, this is a big deal and there's no if ins and butts about us, so it's going to be interesting, you know. Dave says, Look, we're kind of maneuvering around and O'tani is chomping at the bit in order to get there. He's checked off all the boxes basically said, Okay, what else do we need to do? Well, they're going to be looking at pitch coumpt. They're going to be checking with him after the first inning, and then also observing how the command is what we have seen in the simulated games that he has thrown. The velocity has been there, the movement has been there, and he has rebounded physically very well after.
Speaker 5: He There really shouldn't be any expectations, and.
Speaker 3: That's for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 5: One, he has proven time and again whatever your expectations are from he's going to exceed him. But also just from a physical standpoint, you're not expecting a ton of innings out of him tonight. This is his first outing and as we said, six hundred and sixty three days on this particular stage.
Speaker 3: That's a good ball club.
Speaker 5: On the other side, if Ben Casperra is getting ready to pitch in Bolk, this is really just about getting him going and testing out the waters because the Dodgers they don't have as a staff any familiarity with going through it.
Speaker 3: They've never seen it happen.
Speaker 2: And no one's seen it happen. In fact, he's going to be leading off on top of it, just the third player in the National League since nineteen hundred to start a game as a pitcher serve as a leadout man nineteen oh one, Jim Jones did it, in nineteen fifty three, Alvin Dark did it. And one thing about it too, I don't think Dave Roberts or shoheo Atani or the Dodgers itself want this premiere outing by Showhey to really kind of whitewash the importance of playing this game. This is a huge step forward, not just for Otani but also for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: His bat has taken a big step forward the last couple of games. He has reached in eight of his last nine plate appearances, so starting to warm up the big stick, as he's been preparing.
Speaker 3: To warm up that right.
Speaker 5: Arm I talked to Dalton Rushing a couple of days ago as he caught one of Otani's recent live VP sessions in his SIM game sessions. It's like hell hot, he look and Dalton he's a rookie, right, and so he never caught it before, Like Will Smith, Hadden's for training adults just.
Speaker 3: Shook his head and he's ready.
Speaker 2: He's ready. And what they don't want to get overshadowed is the Sandega Pondres have come in here three games behind the Dodgers. Pondres are in third place, and Andreas know that they have four games to try and right the ship as far as the standings of the National League, and don't let Otani overshadow the importance of playing this series and playing it the right way.
Speaker 5: All right, It's gonna be a jam Pack Knight at Dodgers Stadium. The city has been buzzing really since Sunday night when it was announced that Shoheo Tani would take the mound on Monday. So here we are Dodgers and Padres kicking off another big series four games against the friars, Tim, I'm gonna hand it right back to you, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Thank you, Nelly, as we cut you down to first pitch.
Speaker 7: Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right.
Speaker 1: Now at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 3: We're off and.
Speaker 7: Running here on Dodgers on Deck. You know what is gonna be a big night at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 7: We're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, We'll hear from Andrew Freeman. We'll hear from the general manager Brandon Gomes when we come back. Also your Otani rewind as we lead you up to first pitch show.
Speaker 1: Hey Otani on the mound for the.
Speaker 7: Dodgers first pitch and seven ten, Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim kas Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casinos game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Padres on this Monday night show.
Speaker 1: Hey Otani on the Mount.
Speaker 7: Dylan Cease would go for San Diego first pitch coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 3: This is the Otani ree why.
Speaker 8: And the pitch to him he swings hits a ground ball in the right center of base ship. He didn't wait around and the Dodgers have the lead off man aboard in the bottom of the first inn. It left on left here as Luke Casey delivers and Otani drops in the left fail for a base yet it's toward the gap. It is cut off by the left fielder Ramos, holding Otani to a single and he has reached in eight straight played appearances. One to one pitch and Otani bounces one slowly towards second base. That is going to be a bang bang play at first that Otani is safe for the base hit.
Speaker 7: Showy Otani three for three, three singles on bass four times, including it a walk. Show Tani the hitter not batting two ninety seven on the season. After the Dodgers five to four win over the Giants yesterday, Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now, Friendly agents standing by to take your donations. That's Cars with a K to donate your car today. Dodgers General manager Brandon Gome spoke with the media earlier about the return of show.
Speaker 9: Hey good, Brandon, Is this as exciting for the organization past is for the fan base?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a big day obviously, since we've been watching the show from afar and now that he's been here, it's been such an amazing thing that he can do both and you know, knowing what he's gone through up to this point, rehabing and works so hard for us to be able to finally see him take them ount here as incredibly exciting, Which should be.
Speaker 9: The expectations for everybody tonight and what to expect from the set.
Speaker 10: I mean, he's he's looked really good in the lives and you know, throwing the ball well, feeling good. So like he always does, he's gonna give everything he has and you know, we expect a high quality outing like we normally would out of him at this.
Speaker 3: Point in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Did getting them back at this point.
Speaker 3: Like this week start to feel real for you guys?
Speaker 10: You're talking about just playing with them, I mean, you know, with each bullpen, each live it was kind of a free flowing conversation in between to make sure that he was feeling good bouncing back, and uh, you know, because this is such a unique scenario making sure we're not doing anything to put the offensive side in jeopardy. So uh, you know, it was only really up until this week or so having the conversations that it was, Okay, this is this is a real possibility.
Speaker 11: Years time, but very surprised, still live with twenty two count poly hit the first time.
Speaker 4: Fishing the big league game.
Speaker 10: After I mean, like you said, it was the conversations of how he's feeling, and then his stuff was coming out great in bullpens, and then the lives very encouraging as well, and you know, got to the point where, hey, it feels like we should take that next step and almost look to finish the rehab at the major league level because of the taxing nature of what he was doing.
Speaker 7: All Right, there's Brandon Gomes, Dodgers general manager, speaking with the media just a little bit earlier here at Dodger Stadium. They caught everybody by surprise yesterday after the game they announced that show Hey Otani would be the starting pitcher tonight, making his debut on the mound.
Speaker 1: He had a.
Speaker 7: Dodger uniform for the first time in twenty three months back on the mound, first time ever wearing the Dodger Blue. And it is exciting here at Dodger Stadium. As we get closer and closer in the first pitch coming up, we'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers and the Padres. First pitch, seven ten.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 7: I'm tick cases the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on.
Speaker 3: Deck on your home for the Blue all season law.
Speaker 7: Maronggo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues live from Dodger Stadium. Is a lee jump to first pitch on this Monday night, Dodgers and the Padres Marongo Casino Resort and Spa, a grand slam for good times.
Speaker 6: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 7: Well, Dodger Stadium is buzzy with show. Hey Otani about to come out and start warming up. First pitch coming up at seven ten. Of course, an injury report brought to you by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonsolin on the eel with the right elbow, soort Tyler Glass now is throwing. He is out with the elbow and shoulder inflammation. Blake Snell on his bobblehead night here at Dodger Stadium. He is gearing up and ready to go, hopefully in the next few weeks. Luis Garcia on the IL. He threw a sim game today here at Dodger Stadium. Imagean he is with the Dodgers team. He has made a couple of minor league rehabit starts, and it kind of feels like Imagean on this series against the Padres could be making a start for the Dodgers. All right, we heard from Brandon Gum's Dodgers general manager. Well, hear from Andrew Freeman coming up in about twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Let's check in out with the Dodgers skpberd.
Speaker 4: Anything the questions for Dave Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 3: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: Davis is obviously unique for the first time checking pitching with the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Which should the expectations be.
Speaker 12: I think there should be a lot of uh excit certainly anticipation. I think we're all waiting to see what it looks like. You know, he's ready, he's adamant, he feels good, strong, ready to pitch a major league game. I'm not sure how long he's going to pitch tonight, but I think everyone in that clubhouse, I think the fans and media, we've been waiting for this moment.
Speaker 2: What will determine how well he actually is on the mount this year?
Speaker 12: You know, I think, uh, you know how he looks to be quite frank, the pitch count, you know how he feels after the inning for us as Dodgers. This is uncharted territory for us, It's been a while since he's been on the mound. So I think that just sort of right now, Jim leaving it open ended.
Speaker 2: You see how he looks, what are some of the specific things.
Speaker 3: And how he's throwing the ball.
Speaker 12: I think that they're certainly going to be some adrenaline, some extra motion. You might not see it overtly from him, just a command. I think armside house delivery, looks, stress, repeatability, all that stuff is kind of what I'm kind of keeping an eye on.
Speaker 7: All Right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts in the dugout with his pregame thoughts as we count you down to first pitch, Dodgers and the Padres. The buzz is all about show. Hey Otani making his Dodger debut on the mound. We will continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with David Bassey as we lead you up to first pitch from Dodger Stadium. I'm Tim Kase's world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Padre is on this Monday night series.
Speaker 1: Opener from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: Show, Hey Otani on the mound, Dylan Cease, We'll go for San Diego first pitch coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 6: Joining Tim Cates on Dodgers on Deck. I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 1: Dave now joins us here at Dodger Stadium. Big Night Dave Show.
Speaker 7: Hey Otani makes his Dodgers debut as a pitcher. Now, we've been talking about this for a week, so speculation that would be post All Star break.
Speaker 1: When did things change.
Speaker 11: After that simulated game in San Diego, Tim that's where Otani and the Dodgers decided this is not working out where I'm pitching, getting ramped up, simulating innings, cooling down, and then being the leadoff hitter as the DH So they just figured why not just use these pitches in games? And I know Dave Roberts and the Dodgers have said, don't expect him to be back until after the All Star Break, but if you think about it, there's the schedule right there. He's a once a week pitcher, so tonight likely just one inning, next week, two to three after that, and it just keeps building up, and by the time it's post All Star Break, he's built up to go like a regular starter five or six innings. So instead of building him up in simulated situations in practice practice, they're getting him into games. And that's the way they're building him up. So they really weren't trying to deceive us. They just changed the method to get him built up post All Star break.
Speaker 7: David is brought to you by the twenty twenty five Ford f one point fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It's time to see Ford and a new light take advantage of employee pricing through the end of June. David how much of this is Showhy wanted to pitch now as opposed to Mark pryor Dave Roberts the front office saying okay, show Hey, we need you now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: After that simulated game in San Diego, Dave Roberts has said three different times that Shohy is getting quote antsy. He even said it after the game last night when he was hinting that this indeed was going to be the day that O'tani did pitch. So you know, the Dodgers have conceded they haven't been.
Speaker 4: Through this before with Otani.
Speaker 11: Otani's been through this before because he had Tommy John surgery with the Angels, so he's coming back after his second elbow surgery. They're letting him be the driving force and letting him and doctor Neil Elatrosh be the ones to really drive when he can come back and pitch. So it's been a collaboration, but mostly it's Otani and doctor Ela Trosh, along with Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts being on the same page and communicating and keeping those lines of communication open.
Speaker 7: Are you surprised, David when they made this announcement, When you made the announcement on postgame last night?
Speaker 1: Ticket prices through the roof.
Speaker 7: The buzz in Los Angeles is like we've never seen before with another Dodger player making his pitching. People around Baseball talking about this today in June Otani back on the mound.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised to how big this is? He pitched for six years in Anaheim.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but just like everything else, what he did in Anaheim is not as big as what he's doing with the Dodgers. And I know Tonight's likely only going to be one inning, But again, Tim, Dodger games with Otani are not just games, they're events. I would say tonight maybe one of the highlights of the sporting year in Los Angeles sports, maybe even in Major League Baseball him making his pitching debut with the Dodgers. So tonight is not a Dodger game, it's an event.
Speaker 7: It's also Blake Snell Bobblehead Night, David, it's getting overshadowed.
Speaker 11: Don't bury the lead, Tim Tonight Snell Zilla Bobblehead Night. It's unfortunate that he's not able to pitch, but after the All Star break, looks like where he's circling to come back.
Speaker 7: Last we heard from Blake Snell was Saturday, just a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: You were talking talking to Blake Snell.
Speaker 7: You threw out there, maybe you can catch the first pitch if he was gonna throw it out or somebody's family gonna throw it out. Will we see you out there in a few minutes.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, this is the opportunity, right since I am filling in near the dugout, I'm very available if things fall apart with whoever he's chosen his second choice. Obviously I think mine was the first choice to have me do it, but obviously you know the family guilt you know comes into.
Speaker 1: Play, no doubt.
Speaker 7: All right, Dave, Well check back you with you just a couple of minutes. Coming up here on Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, we will hear from Andrew Freeman. That's who DV will go one on one with up next. SOO we dive deeper into this pitching matchup and your Dodgers magical moment. It's the Dodgers and Padres show, Hey Otani makes his pitching debut. I'm Tim Kase's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 6: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: HiT's the Dodgers and the Padres show. Hey o tany on the mountain for the first time in a Dodger uniform. You think it was the first time he ever pitched in the Big leagues. Dodger Stadium crowd on their feet along the third base line really from the Dodger Dugout all the way down to the Dodgers' bullpen. There's a row of Dodger fans literally hanging over the balcony on the reserve level, looking down on the Dodger bullpen, waiting for him to throw.
Speaker 1: Warm up pitches.
Speaker 7: First pitch coming up at seventen.
Speaker 4: Dog, who wants a hot cup?
Speaker 3: It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment.
Speaker 6: Pitch Magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't have to go back far.
Speaker 7: Last September twenty sixth here at Dodger Stadium, Dodgers and Padres, it was a night in which the Dodgers clinched another divisional title.
Speaker 5: Nothing into the count on the number nine hit or he gosh Yoka the pitch from Copet Pulp be on the infield.
Speaker 1: Shallow right field, Taylor calling for it.
Speaker 13: And still Nation League West Division champions. The Los Angeles Dodgers do it again in twenty twenty four, for the eleventh time in twelve years they wear the crown.
Speaker 7: Dodgers clinched the division last September against the Padres, the eleventh NL West title in the last twelve seasons, the first time they clinched at home in front of fans since Game one, sixty three of the twenty eighteen season against the Colorado Rockies. This Hoffey's magical moment brought you, brought to you by a Hoppy hot Dogs poffy soak. How's local treasure for nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 1: Hoppy hot Dogs, local and so great.
Speaker 7: When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check in with Rick Monday, so he leads up to first pinch Dodgers and Padres show. Hey, Otani is warming up, folks. I'm Tim Cases the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Tech.
Speaker 3: On your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Padres on this Monday Night Dodgers sitting all atop the NL West show, Hey Otani makes his Dodgers debut, pitching against Dylan C's first Bitch coming up at seventen.
Speaker 6: People and now joined by David Bassey. Here's la Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 11: Rick, you and Steven have already touched on it, but everybody I walk by a Dodgers stadium is saying how exciting of a day it is today with Otani pitching.
Speaker 2: All you had to do was to have your eyes open as you drove into Dodgers Stadium tonight. There's something a little special in the air. This is a big, big deal. And if you were in the of the press conference with Dave Roberts, and that's exactly what he's saying. He says, this is a big deal tonight, not only because of show, Heyotani, but also because the Sandego pundrees are coming in here. Don't overlook them. They're three games behind the Dodgers. I don't think the Dodgers is going to let that overshadow the appearance of show Heyo Tani overshadowed the importance of playing good baseball because the Pandres are looking for an opening in order to close the gap in the Nation League Western Division. So, yeah, there's a lot going on tonight, a lot of different moving pieces, and everybody's going to be watching what O'tani does on the mound. You know, we're all here's one thing to look for as well. We are all creatures of habit And Dave Roberts was telling you and the rest of the media that he did have conversations with Otani about batting in the leadoff spot. Here's why he's going to be on the mound the first inning. Then once he gets the three outs, now he's the first batter. He is a creature of habit as we all are. And one of the things that we see him do is to put on the bandingloads, to put on the elbow pad, to get everything really kind of set, even before the final out is made in the in the top of the first and to get home. So he's going to have to rush things in order to get the helmet on, to get the bat. So it's going to be a little different. He's done it before, but this is going to be the first time that he has revisited that particular thing. And then we look at it, it's been six hundred and sixty three days since Otani has been on the mound in a major league ballgame.
Speaker 11: Rick, that's a great point as far as Otani being the leadoff here or do you believe that is something that will continue as the starts get longer.
Speaker 2: Here's something that I don't know the answer to, but I think we can find it out. I know that you have spoken with Brian Gorman, who's an unfiring supervisor. Is Otani going to get extra time there is a pitch clock. Is he going to get extra time to come in and get ready to hit since he is the starting pitcher. There's a very There's a lot of unique situations that really pop up with Otani, including it's not cold weather, he would not eat a jacket, but you know, it's only a pitcher that can wear a jacket if you're a runner that's on base and it has to be zipped up or buttoned up. So there's a lot of little nuances here and there. I'm not certain if the pitch clock is going to be altered or not. Hopefully that does not enter it even into the conversation during a game.
Speaker 11: And that's another great point because Major League Baseball already has tweaked the rules. They call it the Otani rule, because when he comes out of the game as a pitcher, he can still be the.
Speaker 2: DH and on the flip side, what if he's the runner and the third out is recorded, does he get more time to go back to the dugout, get his glove, and then get back on the mound and get his eight warm up pitches that he's entitled. So there's a lot of this going on, including with the umpires.
Speaker 4: Rick.
Speaker 11: As far as O'tani goes, I fully expect him to dazzle tonight because that's just what he does. But sometimes guy's coming off this long of a period on the shelf don't have the command. What if it gets a little bit of a long first inning.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm mesmerized by the fact that he can do both. This is a big deal. I can only go for myself coming off an injured list years and years ago and coming back in that first game. But I never went six hundred and sixty three days. With doing that, it's difficult and to fight the emotion and then have presence of mind to focus in which he's been remarkable in being able to do that. This is a very unique player that we're seeing and this is a part of his Dodger history that we're seeing unfold here tonight.
Speaker 11: No doubt, it's not just a game, as your partner used to say, it's an event. Charlie Steiner in the house for the event.
Speaker 2: And with Otani it's a big event.
Speaker 4: Yes it is.
Speaker 11: Rick Monday's here, whether or not Otawni's pitching, but tonight should be exciting.
Speaker 2: By the way, you look good in the time.
Speaker 11: Thanks a lot, Rick, appreciate it. There's that Father's Day magic right there. Westen it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Tim, all right, thanks a lot. DV. That's a Dodger game plan. What's your game plan?
Speaker 7: How about starting your future to California Community College financial aids available to help you with tuition, books and sometimes.
Speaker 1: Even the rent.
Speaker 7: It's time to take that next big stat classes they can fill up quick en roll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm still to.
Speaker 7: Come here on Dodgers on Deck we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup, mam. We'll be back with Steven Nelson, get you those keys to the game. But up next, we go High and Tight with Andrew Friedman, Presidents of Baseball Operations for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: That's coming up.
Speaker 7: As we lead you up to first Pitch show, Hey Otani warm it up in the Dodgers' bullpen making his Dodgers debut on the Mountain tonight, first pitch of seven ten. I'm Tim Kas'es the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: He's the Dodgers and Padres show. Hey Otani makes his Dodgers debut. Is the pitcher Dodgers Baseball. Brought to by Zen She handcrafted sushi made fresh on site daily find it near the deli counter. And Ralph Zen, she handcrafted sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 6: And now what will Levi Vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 3: This is high and tight.
Speaker 11: It's an exciting night here at Dodgers Stadium, and we're joined right now by the President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman. I know Clayton Kershaw said yesterday it feels like the players are fans wanting to see Otani pitch.
Speaker 4: What's the feeling for you tonight.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I feel the exact same way obviously, what he's done in the batter's box. For us, this is a guy who went fifty to fifty last year, leading the league in homers, and then you watch him pitch and it's hard for your brain to reconcile that the guy who is throwing with that kind of delivery, arm action, the deep mix is also the guy on the other half of the inning that does what he does offensively.
Speaker 11: Can you take us through the decisions, the conversations about why tonight is the night that he makes his Dodger pitching debut.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, obviously, you know lot has been written in discussed about how we kind of got to this point. But going through this progression, there's been really good communication and talking through it. And after his live in San Diego, we had another live setup for today and talking to him over the weekend and just understanding more the fatiguing effect. It had to get up, get hot, throw three innings, four innings would have been tonight, go cool down and try to ramp back up. Just how taxing that is, and so in his opinion, he felt like he would be way better served to kind of finish his rehab process at the major league level being active and not having basically doubleheaders.
Speaker 11: So what are the expectations for you tonight and what will you be looking for?
Speaker 14: I mean, I think, you know, coming back from a lot of miss time on the mound, you know, I have no doubt this stuff will be there. Execution is something that takes guys a little time to get comfortable, repeat their delivery over and over with him. Who knows they could have it, you know.
Speaker 4: From the first pitch on.
Speaker 14: But it's just about us being patient, continuing to build up a foundation for him. Obviously, whatever you know, we're able to get to this year in terms of workload, hopefully he'll be a presence for us in October. But it's also about the longevity. He wants to do this for as long as he possibly can to. Setting a really strong foundation this year is important.
Speaker 11: There's been former players Hall of Fame caliber players that have voiced their opinion unsolicited that they believe this is a little bit of a risk to have him come back to pitch and he's doing so well as a hitter. What do you think about you know, these unsolicited opinions, and is that part of the equation in your mind leading up to this decision to allow show Hay to become a pitcher again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think part of it is it's hard for the human brain to comprehend this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, he's one.
Speaker 14: Of one in the modern era, and so a lot of guys weren't able or capable of doing it. It's hard to imagine. This is really important to him. And I don't blame him. We've talked about this a lot. I think he is incredibly underrated, which is amazing. I mean, just what he can do on both sides of the ball. You know, when he didn't win the MVP in twenty two, he finished fourth in the sy Young He is a really talented pitcher. Obviously a really talented hitter, but in twenty three when he was pitching, he was also really good in the batter's box, excellent in the batter's box, And so I just think it's too simple, people apply too much of Well, if I had to do both, i'd be exhausted or one would really suffer. I agree for most people, Yeah, show it is not most people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 11: It seems like when the lights are the brightest and the expectations are the highest, he delivers. So I wouldn't be surprised tonight if he strikes out the side in order.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And I think for us just being thoughtful about this, and obviously we're all really excited about tonight, We'll get through tonight, figure out how he's recovering, where he's at, and just kind of keep taking steps towards it. We're not going to sprint to get there, and just make sure that his body is adapting and that the fatigue isn't affecting him offensively. And so you know, it's kind of serving two different purposes. One is to make sure that he has a good foundation to pitch for a long time. The other is to make sure that his body is adapting, feeling good, recovering well so that he can stay a productive force in the lineup as well.
Speaker 4: Around him with a great roster.
Speaker 11: How much do we have to appreciate the fact that you're able to do this. Otani's able to do this, to come in for one or two innings and build up in a game and have a guy like a bank Casparius or a jag Dryer to back him up. Would that be possible if you didn't have guys that were able.
Speaker 4: And be willing.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I think you nailed it. It's both. It's being able and willing. And we're very fortunate with a number of our homegrown guys who've gotten some opportunities. It's one of the silver linings and upsides of some of the injuries we suffered is guys being given opportunity and a number of them have really run with it. And watching Ben's development has been really fun. And his mindset is I'll do whatever it takes to help us win. I'm good with whatever, and so we actively are communicating with him, just trying to make sure that he's in good position. But his ability and willingness are off the charts.
Speaker 11: All right, Before I let you go, your kids are involved in you sports. So once this was announced yesterday that Otani was going to pitch tonight, how many ticket requests did you get?
Speaker 4: Andrew, I got quite a few.
Speaker 14: We were joking that we were going to set the Internet on fire when.
Speaker 4: This news came out.
Speaker 14: I stopped short of saying that my text messages were also going to catch on fire, but they did as well.
Speaker 11: Do you want to make a public announcement to stop texting you for tickets?
Speaker 14: You're tapped out, tapped out no more.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks a lot for stopping by.
Speaker 11: Appreciate the insight on everything that's gone into tonight being the night that Otani pitches.
Speaker 4: So thank you absolutely thanks for having me on there.
Speaker 11: He is the man world champion, two time president of Baseball Operations with the Dodgers, Andrew Friedman. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you very much, Davie.
Speaker 7: Dodgers Baseball by Shaky's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 1: No better time than right now to pick up.
Speaker 7: Some Shaky's Pizza, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast.
Speaker 1: When it's game night, it's group night at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 2: Lead.
Speaker 7: You have to first pitch Dodgers and Padres. Next we'll dive deep into this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere. I'm tim Kates's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting on your home for La Dodgers Faseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and Padres on this Monday ninth series opener from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 1: First pitch at seven to ten.
Speaker 6: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining, we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 7: Presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard at a New Tacoma with an I Force Turbo charts in can It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Dylan Sees on the mound for the Padres, twenty nine year old right hander. He's been durable thirty starts in each of the last four seas, two and five of the four to twenty eight eer. His last start was against the Dodgers last Thursday in San Diego. Seven shutout Indians. But tonight is all about show. Hey Otani, the thirty year old right hander eight.
Speaker 1: Season the Big Leagues.
Speaker 7: He last pitched in a game on August twenty third, twenty twenty three, at the Big A and Anaheim.
Speaker 1: Against the Reds.
Speaker 7: He went an inning in a third before coming out of the game with elbow surgery. It's been six hundred and thirty three days between starts. That was then, This is now show Hey Otani's first Dodgers start on the Mountain, power by Zench Sushi finding near the deli counter at Ralphs zen Shech Sushi, Fast, fresh and easy. Dodgers Padres were fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 1: Buckle up here we go, keys to the game.
Speaker 7: Our next I've Tim kase is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio.
Speaker 6: Know this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 3: On your hole the Blue All season log.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers at Padres on this Monday Night show. Hey Otani makes his pitching debut and at Dodger's uniform. First pitch coming up at seven to ten. When the Boys in Blue play at home, it's important they have the right plan to protect their house. They're twenty five and twelve at Dodger Stadium, second best home record in the National League. The same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. It's fireworks season. So make sure you're practicing fireworks safety. Use safe insane fireworks that display the California State Fire Marshall Seal. Always read the directions and ensure fireworks are only lit by adults. Never use fireworks in near dry grass or other flammable materials. For more about these tips and to find out others, visit fire dot CA dot gov. All Right, before first pitch, we head over to Steven Nelson Rick Monday.
Speaker 5: Guys, thank you for the handoff. Tim back here in the first row with Rick Monday. Mo, it is Shoheo Tani starting opening. I'm not going to get into the semantics of that against Dylan Cees for the San Diego Padres he shoved against the Dodgers when we saw him at Petco Park.
Speaker 2: What are a few things on your mind for this game? Well, the biggest thing is don't expand the strength zone. In that victory that Sees had down in San Diego went seven, Ennis did not allow a run, only three hints and while he did walk five, he had eleven punch outs. And the Dodgers just never did figure out a system as far as any cadence with Cease and they've got to tighten the belt. The other thing that Sees does very very well, very low banning average against him. He's only given up eight home runs and tonight making his fifteen start well.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers one of the best slider hitting teams in baseball, but still that did not prevent Cease from holding them to one for fourteen against that pitch the last.
Speaker 3: Time we saw him.
Speaker 5: One big key is that the Padres will not have Jackson Merrill in this series, or at least to start. He was placed on the seven day concussion.
Speaker 2: I l yeah, and that just took place on a Saturday, and that was on a slide into second base, So they're going to miss him. But they also called up a youngsters really been lights down Trenton Brooks, who's going to that lineup. Triple A, hit three eleven, also has some power, hit fourteen out of the ballpark.
Speaker 5: And at the same time they've gotten the real Fernando Tatispak it would seem as he has gotten going over the last few games. The Dodgers and Padres, it is always a battle. And now with a little bit extra show, Hey Otani in his pitching debut as a Dodger of the reigning MVP. Take it on the Padres. All right, first pitches.
Speaker 7: Next Dodgers and Padres show Hey Otani on the mound when we return.
Speaker 1: This has been.
Speaker 7: Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Oh your Network,