Speaker 1: Hey, says Dan, Mom, come on your story, hours.
Speaker 2: On presenting your story, hour building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Hello, they're boys and girls.
Speaker 4: Hello moms and dad.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone. This is Aunt Carroll and I'm Uncle Dan, and we're both giving a great, big welcome to each one of you.
Speaker 4: That's right, Aunt Carol, say, I was just wondering what kind of story do you have today?
Speaker 3: What do you mean, Uncle Dan?
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes you tell about historical events, sometimes you tell about adventure, stories about people living today. Sometimes you tell stories about kids.
Speaker 3: I guess this is kind of a grand mixture of everything. Then, oh, well, first of all, it's a story about two friends, Calli and Kanisha. They are twenty first century.
Speaker 4: Kids, okay.
Speaker 3: And it's a story about something that happened quite a number of years ago.
Speaker 4: I see sort of two or three for the price of one, Aunt Carrol.
Speaker 3: I guess you're right, Uncle Dan. And even though it's a story about a lot of different things, it has a fit, very short title. I call it the Club. Calli and Kinesia are both fifteen years old, both attend Jefferson High School, and both like pizza, music, and of course boys. Not only that, but they also like the same subject in school, which, believe it or not, is biology, and so it's not surprising that many an afternoon will find them studying together, munching on a snack, and just talking together as best friends often do.
Speaker 5: Have you figured out the third problem yet? Not yet.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I may have to change my mind about biology.
Speaker 5: I know what you mean. This genetic stuff is tough. You've got that right, Okay. If both parents carry one defective gene S for sickle cell anemia and one normal gene A, what is the chance that each child born to them will be an unaffected carrier like themselves. Hmm, let's see.
Speaker 7: Let's draw the grid like mister Cooler showed us.
Speaker 5: Okay, ss sa sa aa looks to me like it would be fifty percent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's right. Two out of four that makes fifty percent.
Speaker 5: Do you know anybody that has sickle cell anemia?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 8: My cousin Jamal in fact, really uh huh, he has a really bad too. They say it's dammage. Some of his organs, like his spleen for one.
Speaker 5: Wow, it's awful. So could you be a carrier then? I mean, he is your cousin. That means your dad might be a carrier.
Speaker 7: Nah.
Speaker 8: Mom told me that Boshe and Daddy have been tested. But my uncle James is a carrier, and so is my aunt Dantella.
Speaker 6: Poor Jamal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I no kidding.
Speaker 6: Anybody for lemonade.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mom, comeing in.
Speaker 6: So are you girls done with home war?
Speaker 5: Almost?
Speaker 8: I was just selling Cali about my cousin Jamal. He has sickle cell anemia.
Speaker 5: And we're studying about that in biology.
Speaker 6: I see, Well here you are.
Speaker 5: You know, it doesn't seem fair. Sometimes people are born with stuff like that and it isn't even their fault.
Speaker 9: Oh that's true. Not everything in life is fair. In fact, there are a lot of things that aren't fair.
Speaker 7: What do you mean, missus Gregory?
Speaker 9: Well, is it fair that some people get sick, have heart attacks, or get cancer or diabetes?
Speaker 5: I guess not. But maybe sometimes people don't eat rite or smoke and they get those things.
Speaker 9: Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Well how about burst effects? Or how about people who get into bad accidents, or or people who live in countries where they have no freedom?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Or how about people who were made slaves? My great great great grandfather was a slave. Really, yes, and he escaped.
Speaker 7: On the underground railway to the north.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: That's amazing.
Speaker 9: Remind me to show you girls something. There's something I've been wanting to I'll get it.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 7: Oh hi, Missus Washington.
Speaker 5: Yes, she's here. Oh okay, I'll tell her bye. It was your mom. You gotta go home now. Okay, Well, i'll see a school in the morning.
Speaker 7: Thanks for the lemonade, Missus g No problem.
Speaker 6: You come over anytime, Kenisha, tomorrow if you like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, tomorrow sounds good. I'll be here.
Speaker 5: You want some pizza too, sure, Okay, I'll stick in another one. Grab a couple of paper plates.
Speaker 6: There are cookies in the jar and milk in the fridge.
Speaker 5: Okay, Mom. Thanks.
Speaker 10: You know, Callie, I've been thinking about, well, what we were talking about yesterday, about the bad things that happen to people and how unfair it is.
Speaker 7: What would you think of, well, trying to even a score?
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 7: Okay, just hear me out, because maybe this is gonna sound weird. But what do you think of starting a club?
Speaker 5: A club?
Speaker 8: And to be a member of a club, you have to do something good. You have to pick a cause and do something about it. You can't just talk about it.
Speaker 10: You have to help in some way.
Speaker 5: Here, hold your play it out there. Thanks, get the milk, would you?
Speaker 7: Okay? So what do you think about the club?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Sounds kind of cool.
Speaker 6: Uh did I hear something about a club?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kenisha is talking about starting one, a.
Speaker 6: Club where you have to do good beans.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 9: Oh, well, I'm afraid somebody already beat you to that one.
Speaker 6: Huh what do you mean?
Speaker 9: Well, long ago, there was a good Deeds club that was part of your Story Hour. Kids send in their good bees to Aunt Sue and Uncle Dan. They were the first toasts of the program.
Speaker 7: Really cool.
Speaker 5: I still love listening to those stories, Orphan, Arthur, the two Jimmies.
Speaker 7: So what do you think about the club?
Speaker 5: Why not? School's almost over and we don't have anything else to do this summer. Sure, let's go for it.
Speaker 7: Maybe we could get some other kids interested. We'll each pick a cause and we'll see what we can do.
Speaker 3: As soon as school was out, Calli and Kanisha started their project. Kanisha's older brother, Jackson Jack for short, joined the girls as well. The first order of business for the club members was for each of them to decide what cause or charity they wanted to support.
Speaker 5: So, Kanisha, have you decided?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going to raise money for research for sickle cell anemia. I'm thinking that since I like to make cookies and stuff, a bake sale would be good. I might even be able to get my youth group.
Speaker 7: At church to help out. We could donate our money in Jamal's name.
Speaker 5: What a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it too because I can snitch cookies.
Speaker 7: Hey Jack, wait just a minute, take.
Speaker 1: It easy, only the broken ones. You are going to break a few just.
Speaker 11: For me, please.
Speaker 7: I can see you're going to be a pest.
Speaker 5: What about you, Kelly, Well, one easy thing to do would be to donate my hair.
Speaker 6: Your hair.
Speaker 7: You're going to shave it off?
Speaker 5: No, nothing quite that wild. I'm just going to cut off my ponytail.
Speaker 7: But you've been growing your hair out since you were six.
Speaker 5: That's why this is so perfect. There's this organization that makes wigs for kids that don't have any hair.
Speaker 6: Bodd kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the kids have an autoimmune disease that makes all their hair fall out and it never grows back. Can you imagine no hair?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 7: That would be awful.
Speaker 5: I know, so you have to have a ponytail at least ten inches long.
Speaker 1: No problem there, Yours is almost to your waist.
Speaker 5: And you just cut it off and send it in, all clean and dry. They make really great wigs, really good expensive ones, and give them free to kids with no hair. But but what, well, it really doesn't take any effort. I mean, my hair has already grown long enough. And besides, I think I'm ready for a shorter hair style, So it really doesn't qualify for that much of a good deed. I'm looking for something else to do too, something that I can work on this summer.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can help me on my project, which is I got the idea from you, guys.
Speaker 7: You did yup?
Speaker 6: Canisi was telling me that she told you about our great great great.
Speaker 7: Grandfather, the slave, the one who is he's the one?
Speaker 1: Anyway, I saw this report on TV that there are still people forced into slavery today.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, he's right in Africa and other countries too, can you believe it?
Speaker 1: Worst of all, there are places where Christians especially are taking as slaves, even little kids.
Speaker 5: Wow, So what can you do? I mean that's a long ways away.
Speaker 1: There's a Christian organization that buys slaves back and gives them their freedom. I'd like to see if I can raise enough money to save just one little kid from something that terrible.
Speaker 5: Count me in, Jack, I'll be glad to help you with that.
Speaker 6: Later that week.
Speaker 5: So what do you think, mom? Does it sound like a good idea?
Speaker 6: A very good idea.
Speaker 9: By the way, I keep forgetting I have something important to show you later.
Speaker 5: Mom, I've got to run in and take care of one of my customers, frisky mister Adams Terrier.
Speaker 6: Do you think you can raise enough money by pet sitting? I hope.
Speaker 5: See. Summertime is when lots of people go on vacation, and sometimes they like to be able to leave their pets at home instead of boarding them somewhere. Well, makes sense, Like the Grisbies down the block they have three cats. They want their cats to be able to just stay in the house like they always do. I already have them as clients.
Speaker 6: To do well. I'm impressed.
Speaker 7: So what well?
Speaker 9: Now, how would you like for me to make you some business cards on the computer? Maybe you could go door to door in the neighborhood when school is out next week and leave your card with the people.
Speaker 6: Huh. Drum up some more business.
Speaker 5: Wow, Mom, thanks, what a great idea.
Speaker 7: So how's it going, Kelli? Any more customers?
Speaker 5: Yep, those business cards Mom made are doing the trick.
Speaker 7: How about you?
Speaker 8: One bake sale down and two more to go eighty seven dollars and fifty five cents from the last one, which isn't bad.
Speaker 5: How about Jack's lawn service? How's he doing?
Speaker 8: He's mowing lawns like mad when he isn't still in my cookies.
Speaker 5: Well, it sounds like we're underway big time. I love this club stuff and I really.
Speaker 7: Feel like we're doing something worthwhile.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too. I can't wait to see how much we can earn.
Speaker 3: We'll get back to my story in just a moment, but first, Uncle Dan and I would like a moment with all your parents, grandparents, and teachers.
Speaker 4: In the past few years, Aunt Carolyn and I have received many requests from both adults and teens themselves, asking for stories dealing with some of the hard realities teenagers face in today's world.
Speaker 3: And we've honored those requests. However, because of the sensitive and serious nature of the subject matter, you won't hear most of these stories on your radio. We feel it's up to you parents to decide at which age children should be exposed to stories dealing with subjects like teen suicide, aids, and abuse.
Speaker 4: However, we strongly encourage you parents to consider our teen Scene Album for your children sooner rather than later. In today's culture, it's almost impossible to protect them from being exposed to the world's slant on life at a very early age.
Speaker 3: Our teen Scene stories deal with the hard issues teen's face without preaching. The stories are well researched, and your teen will relate to the characters and follow their lives with interest. These stories aren't sugar coated, but present a Christian viewpoint within the framework of today's teen world.
Speaker 4: While they're entertaining. These stories are also a great way to open communication with your teenagers on issues that affect their lives now and on decisions that will affect their future.
Speaker 3: So do visit our website at your story our dot org. Click on the product's icon, scroll down to our teen Scene Album and look over the subject matter of these stories. We're sure you'll agree with us that these stories would be of real benefit to your teen that's at your story hour dot org.
Speaker 4: But for now, let's get back to Aunt Carol's story. The club.
Speaker 3: All summer long, Calli, kanish and Jack worked hard to earn money for their charities. Calli cut her hair and sent in a sixteen inch ponytail so that it could be incorporated into a wig for a child. She loved looking at the before and after photos of kids on the charity's website and seeing the difference that the gift of hair made in their young lives. Kanisha continued working with her church group to raise money for sickle cell anemia research. Calli's business as a pet sitter for vacationing neighbors proved to be a good money raiser, as did Jack's lawnmowing service. One day in mid August, the club met to take stock of their efforts.
Speaker 5: Seventy eighty ninety ninety one two three, God bless you got a cold? No, it's allergies. Turns out I'm allergic to cats.
Speaker 6: The cats.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I guess it's a good thing. My pets sitting days are about over.
Speaker 6: I guess, so how much total?
Speaker 5: A grand total of four hundred and ninety three dollars. Wow, that's great, And don't forget I've got another week well week and a half, so I'm guessing maybe another fifty dollars. How about you, Jack.
Speaker 6: Chocolate cake coming right up, exclusively baked for the members of the club.
Speaker 7: Hey, missus, g cool. Look at the top of the cake, you.
Speaker 6: Guys, dollar sign decorations all over it. We're celebrating today.
Speaker 9: I'm so proud of you, and the dollar signs stand for all the money you've raised.
Speaker 6: Oh, guzindide, let me grab the tissues for you.
Speaker 9: Oh, by the way, that reminds me, I'm so glad you sneezed.
Speaker 5: Thanks, mom, just what I need. I'm mother who loves sneezes.
Speaker 9: No, it's not that you just reminded me. Now you sit there. I'll be back in a flash. Yeah, okay, this is what I've been wanting to show you.
Speaker 5: The handkerchief, the one you have framed, the one that hangs on your bedroom wall.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 7: It's really pretty, missus.
Speaker 9: G Oh no, well, well, I mean it is pretty, but that's not the reason.
Speaker 6: I'm showing it to you.
Speaker 5: Well what then?
Speaker 9: I want to tell you the story of the handkerchief. I've never told you before, CALLI, but now the time is right.
Speaker 5: The story I don't understand.
Speaker 9: Yes, the story, Jack, do I have this right? The reason you were interested in working to free slaves is that a member of your own family was once a slave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my great great great grandfather three grades.
Speaker 9: Well, believe it or not, calli's great great grandmother two grades was also once a slave.
Speaker 6: What but she's white.
Speaker 9: Well, she wasn't a slave here in this country. And this handkerchief, this handkerchief actually.
Speaker 6: Belonged to her.
Speaker 5: You're kidding.
Speaker 6: No, that's why it's so special. Why had it framed?
Speaker 7: Tell us about her, missus g Where does she live?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Mom, Well, her name was Ellie, and she lived in Armenia a long long time ago now.
Speaker 6: During a terrible war.
Speaker 9: Her father had been captured and killed by those who hated Christians.
Speaker 6: And she and her mother had been driven from their home.
Speaker 9: After months of hardships and ill health, her mother knew that she didn't have long to live.
Speaker 12: Ellie, my darling, come near to me, Yes, mother, can I get you something?
Speaker 13: No, my child, just sit and listen.
Speaker 12: Yes, mother, but.
Speaker 14: Don't don't have long, I.
Speaker 13: Darling, I'm so sick and so weak.
Speaker 6: I know that soon.
Speaker 12: No, mother, you're going to be well you'll see.
Speaker 13: I wish it could be true, but Jesus is my savior, and soon I will be safe in his arms. It's you that I worry about, Ellie. What what will become of you?
Speaker 12: Oh mother?
Speaker 15: I have prayed and prayed, and I believe I know that it will be best if I sell you. No, yes, you are to become a servant in the house of a rich family.
Speaker 12: No, oh, mother, No, I have seen.
Speaker 14: But the girls, the orphans, they are so much safer when they are part of a well to do landowner's family.
Speaker 13: They are not on the streets begging.
Speaker 6: Or worse.
Speaker 13: But no, marry, you must do this.
Speaker 16: For me.
Speaker 14: It is my dying wish.
Speaker 6: Mother.
Speaker 14: No, please, oh, my darling, it is done already.
Speaker 13: I have arranged for it.
Speaker 14: You.
Speaker 7: You will be safe there.
Speaker 6: And so it happened.
Speaker 9: Ellie became a servant, a slave really, of a rich family.
Speaker 6: Her mother died soon after.
Speaker 5: That's terrible. Her own mother sold her into slavery.
Speaker 9: But only after prayer, Kelly, only after she was sure that that's what God was telling her to do. And the rich family treated Ellie reasonably well, although she had to work very very hard. She had food, she had shelter, and she was safe from life on the streets, where young girls were routinely abused and beaten.
Speaker 6: But then one.
Speaker 12: Day, Ellie, please come here.
Speaker 17: Yes, Master, Ellie, I'm sorry, but I can't keep you anymore. My business has suffered losses and we can't afford you. So tomorrow I will take you to the slave block in town to be sold.
Speaker 12: Oh Master, please.
Speaker 17: There's nothing to be done about it, Ellie, be ready tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: First thing.
Speaker 9: That night, Ellie could not stop crying. She was so afraid of what would happen in the morning when she was to be sold it's cattle or sold to the highest bidder. She wept and pleaded to God for mercy.
Speaker 12: Oh God, I am so frightened. What will happen to me?
Speaker 14: Oh buy me?
Speaker 12: What if my new master's cruel? What if he beats me? What if he appeases me?
Speaker 11: Oh God, I should have given my heart you long ago. My father was a Christian, my mother was a Christian, and they told me about you, how they trusted you.
Speaker 12: Now now I know how much I.
Speaker 11: Need you, So please, Father, forgive me my sins, make my heart clean. I want to be your child, and please and please take care of me.
Speaker 9: The next morning, Ellie's master took her to the slave market. She was led to the auction block by a rope fastened around her neck, and she was terrified.
Speaker 11: Oh Lord, please help me, Please help me, Please help me.
Speaker 9: Soon there were five men bidding on her, and each one looked more cruel and barbarous than the next.
Speaker 6: Then something truly strange happened.
Speaker 4: One hundred Do I hear?
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 17: Twenty five?
Speaker 18: One twenty five?
Speaker 5: One guy twenty five out there?
Speaker 18: Fifty two hundred going, one two hundred going.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait just a minute.
Speaker 7: What who are you?
Speaker 6: You're smiling her?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 16: Never mind, I want I want to look this slave over more close.
Speaker 6: We're away one minute, one minute closer.
Speaker 4: Look, can't hurt.
Speaker 5: Let's get home with it.
Speaker 6: I have the sleeve. You'll see.
Speaker 9: As this man looked Ellie over from head to foot, she shuddered. He looked worse, if possible, than any of the others.
Speaker 6: What if he should outbid all of them?
Speaker 16: Yes, hey, get out of there. Yes, you are the one I want.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's get on with it. I want to take her home with me.
Speaker 18: Okay, you've had your chance on get moving. Yes, yes, I'm going two hundred. I've got two hundred two fifty. That's my manty. I make it three hundred, one.
Speaker 5: Thousand, one thousand.
Speaker 16: You hurt me one thousand.
Speaker 18: One thousand, once, one thousand, twice one thousand to the man who wanted a closer looker.
Speaker 9: The man who had outfit all the others came to the auction block and led Ellie away by the rope. She was so overcome with terror that she stumbled and staggered as they made their way through the crowd.
Speaker 6: Oh mom, wow, missus g what happened?
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, that's the most interesting part of the story. After leading her along for several blocks, the man rounded a corner and pulled Ellie with him. Then he stopped and a kind, understanding smile replaced his cruel sneer. He removed the rope from around her neck and said.
Speaker 16: Do not be afraid, my child.
Speaker 12: What is your name, Ellie?
Speaker 16: My name is Ellie and mine is Abdul. Don't be afraid. You won't be hurt. My wife is here and she will take good care of you. Jasmine, come here.
Speaker 15: I'm coming.
Speaker 16: She is she the one Abdul, Yes, Jasmine, she's the one she is the one.
Speaker 9: Abdul and his wife Jasmine cared for Ellie throughout the rest of the war, and when it was over, they helped her find her way back to her homeland and to her relatives. But before they left her, they had won more surprise.
Speaker 16: Ellie, do you remember that day in the market when you were on the auction.
Speaker 7: Block, the day Abdul came to bid on you.
Speaker 12: I'll never forget what a terrible day that was. At first.
Speaker 16: Anyway, I want you to know that I would never have imagined that I would ever go to the slave market. But the night before I had a dream, and in that dream, I saw myself buying a slave, a young girl. I saw my myself buying you, Ellie, me you.
Speaker 4: That morning, God impressed abdulh to act on his dream, and so we went to the slave market.
Speaker 16: And that's why I came forward to get a closer look. I could hardly believe my eyes. There you were the girl I had seen in my dream. I acted mean so that the others wouldn't know what I had in mind. But I knew then that God had sent the dream to me, and I knew that he had sent me to the market that day to save you.
Speaker 12: Oh God, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Lord.
Speaker 9: And so that's the story of your great great grandmother Ellie. She was saved because God heard her plea and God sent a man she had never seen before to buy her.
Speaker 14: Mom.
Speaker 19: I don't know what to say me either, except hey, you and Jack are kind of doing the same thing as he did.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 7: Well, think about it, your Christians, we all are.
Speaker 8: And you're going to send the money to buy back other Christians who are slaves.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, you're right cool.
Speaker 6: This is awesome.
Speaker 3: At the end of the summer, the club met for the last time. The results of their efforts were truly amazing.
Speaker 8: WHOA, it's hard to believe, but our youth group raised a total of five hundred and fifty one dollars and sixty seven cents from.
Speaker 7: Our bake sales.
Speaker 8: Of course we'd have had more except Jack here ate another twenty five dollars worth of my cookies.
Speaker 1: Well, a guy's got to keep up his strength, you know. Mowing lawns takes lots of energy.
Speaker 5: Tell me again how much you made, Jack.
Speaker 6: Six hundred and eighty five dollars.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a lot of lawns and a.
Speaker 7: Lot of sweats and a lot of cookies.
Speaker 6: Come on, now, you know I deserved them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, how about you, Kelli? What's your grand total?
Speaker 5: Five hundred forty five dollars. I'm still in shock.
Speaker 7: And still sneezing and got that right.
Speaker 5: Guess what I found out?
Speaker 1: What I saw on the website about buying backslaves that this group sent in two thousand dollars and it was enough money to buy twenty slaves.
Speaker 7: You're kidding?
Speaker 5: Is the price still the same? I don't know, cause if it is, we just raised enough to buy twelve people. Maybe some will even be kids like us. What a thought, awesome, absolutely amazing, Praise God.
Speaker 4: Wow, Aunt Carol austoin An amazing right.
Speaker 3: Well, Uncle Dan, never underestimate kid power or teen power.
Speaker 9: Hmm.
Speaker 3: When all that energy is aimed at a goal, great things can be accomplished.
Speaker 4: I'll say, what a difference all our young listeners would make if they would use their summers to raise money for their favorite charity.
Speaker 3: Or if not raising money, they could volunteer to shop for shut ins, helping a local soup kitchen, mow the lawn, rake leaves, or shovel snow for older neighbors. There are so many opportunities to spread kindness, and I know you boys and girls want to help.
Speaker 4: Remember Jesus said that whatever we do for others, why it's just like doing it for him.
Speaker 3: So may God bless you as you ask him to show you how you can make a difference.
Speaker 2: Goodbye for now, this has been your story hour building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Missus, Ann Carroll and Uncle DNN saying good bye everyone, See you again next time.