Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff grub your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Spiro and then a bunch of shitty things. It's gonna be a good one though, because we have Janet Choa on the show. Jan how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Am I? The shitty thing is how what's happening here?
Speaker 1: Jan? We're gonna be talking about Spiro and jan and then a bunch of terrible things.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god, my fragile ego can't handle that right now. Post Summer Game Fest, I'm okay. Grubbed a little ty tie, a lot of tie tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, same.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. I was glad to be, uh, you know, done with all that. But it was a lot of fun getting through that. Uh those Summer game game Fest gig at night shows with you, Jam and you always do a great job. That was a lot of fun stuff. It was great to see the results of that. People can go check it out now, still showing up on podcast feeds, all that stuff, unless it's not because of a cas being whatever. But we'll figure it all out, everybody, But yeah, I'm home. I'm beginning to recover my voice starting to come back, things like that.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling, Gosh, greub On Tuesday. Off Monday, I felt okay. For some reason, I had a lot of flight delays. I left SGF campus and the gang early to get to the airport early. My flight was at nine pm. My flight didn't leave until twelve thirty am.
Speaker 1: So oh, that's man, that's rough. Okay, that's cool. Thankfully you to have like a very long You could have got home about the same time, though, probably huh had you just driven? Yep?
Speaker 2: If I drove, I remember Greg Miller had a bit a couple of years of like I'm just going to take the Greayhound bus. Yeah, and then that was one of those moments where I thought maybe Greg was onto something here. Yeah, but Monday felt mostly okay. Tuesday, after we had talked over the direct I was fading in and out of sleep all day. It was it was something to be beholden to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I definitely know how you feel.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: I was kind of watching you guys. I thought you guys did a good job, but I was falling asleep as I was watching it. At getting on the plane and it was kind of feeling bad for you guys, but I guys did a great job. I don't know. Listen, this is definitely the week after SGF where it's like, let's just get through it. Let's get to the weekend and get to next week and we could start all over there fresh. So we'll do our best today everybody. In fact, let's get on with it. We're giant bomb dot com. Go to GiantBomb dot com slash join to become a Premium member. If you do so, you're gonna be supporting independent games media. You're gonna ensure we can keep doing cool stuff with our friends. We're gonna keep doing cool stuff that's exclusive for Premium members that you'll get exclusive access to. That includes a bunch of cool shows that we're always working on. We got new stuff in the works all the time. It also gets you add free versions of our shows and it makes you feel good about yourself and others. We really appreciate everyone who is a Premium member, like huge difference. Every time we see a new person join, it's like, Okay, we can keep doing this thing for yet another day, and we're going to keep at it over here. Thank you again for all that support. As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Xbox needs great games, so it may close another studio. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC, and we'll get into it. Jan, I'll say this start this off. You know, I feel like I'm surrounded by pretty level headed people and so like I'm not too surprised by this story. I feel like Jane, whenever I talk to you about Xbox over these last one hundred days of Asha Sharma's reign or whatever, and before that, the jangling keys that we've been seeing, I know you've never been too impressed by any of that. You've always kind of been kind of been like, huh, yeah, well I'll believe any of this when I see it. And even then, you've just like, it's Xbox, it's Microsoft. We kind of know their whole deal. So let's get into it here and kind of talk about it. But yeah, like I said, not too surprised that we've immediately ended up back here. Xbox could be about to shut down one of its game studios as part of it, as part of expected significant cuts reportedly taking place next month, it's claimed. On Wednesday, Xbox CEO Asha Sharma published a note sent to staff in which she shared realities that we need to navigate, such as that it's annual revenue has the client by nearly half a billion dollars in five years, so the money it's making annually is down half a billion like each year. Basically, hardware costs are up for x since last year, and its studio system is qu overextended. Did not explain what that meant. According to a Bloomberg report, the note to staff was sent in advanced of planned significant layoffs across the Xbox business and a reduction to its marketing and other budgets, and a new report published by the Verge, it's claimed that those cuts could also see the closure of an unnamed Xbox studio. Sources suggest the cuts could even involve a studio closure or change to the Xbox lineup. It's said if the layoffs go a go ahead, it will mark the fourth consecutive year of cuts at Xbox as whether it's a challenging gaming market that has also seen tens of thousands of job losses across the wider industry. Now, Jane, I mean, like these layoffs, you know, they are nothing new. This is part of a trend that's ongoing. Like, certainly AI is a part of that, but I think we should always remind people it's also just mismanagement and a lot of times these companies are using AI to tell investors things are good and we don't need these people any more because we have AI, and that has from the beginning been a lie. They're laying these people off because they have mismanaged everything so poorly that they have ended up in this situation because they do not know how to sort of navigate these things, and then they get to a point where it's like they have no other option other than to take them billions of dollars that they make in in profits every year and pay the people to make great games and actually get out of this mess, which actually, jan when I say it out loud, sounds like a pretty good option. So I just don't. This is what we keep saying when we're like, hey, okay, they're trying all these other things, what's going to change? It feels like nothing's gonna change.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know that there is the sentiment that, like, oh hey, when a new CEO takes over, that's normally sign of layoffs incoming. I think these layoffs had been incoming from Xbox from the way, way way before the Darma Yes was even in conversation for taking over from Phil Spencer. It's I find it very ironic that Xbox grub talks so much about about the health of the company and wanting to bolster the future of the company, and based off of all of the news stories, the rumblings, the reportings, the interviews that we've seen over the last couple of months, that health of Xbox isn't actually the health of the company in terms of the games being developed, the games being published, the games are being put out, the people consuming buying playing those games. It's just the stockholders. They are just doing this to appease the people up top. They don't give a shit about the people that work for them, and it's very unfortunate to see. I know that there was some renewed fervor or a little bit of excitement behind Xbox, but it always to me, like you mentioned, felt like smoke and mirrors. This is just the keys jangling to try and distract people from what is actually incoming and mismanagement and continued mismanagement of this company. You spend a billion dollars, You have this Xbox of over summer game Fest where you have five stories of a building. You give free Xboxes to all these people that get invited or buy tickets to go, and you are all smiles and saying like, oh, we're great, We're doing so good, and then this comes out. It's just bullshit. I don't, I can't. I haven't trusted Xbox an extended period of time, and I'm going to continue to not trust them. On top of all the other stuff like the BDS boycott. I just don't want to engage with this company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they last year they Xbox closed Perfect Dark developer the Initiative. In twenty twenty four, it closed Arcane Austin Alpha Dog, which is working on that Mighty Doom game, and then it closed High Fight Rush developer Tango game Works, although that ended up going to Crafton after someone had to come up through and save it. So the remaining studios include The Coalition which is going to release Scars of Work, E Day Games, which recently did South of Midnight, Double Fine, Halo Studios in Exile, which is working on Clockwork Revolution, one of the recently announced exclusive Xbox or at least console exclusive games. Then it has Mo Yang which is Minecraft Ninja Theory which just announced the new game as well, Obsidian Playground, Rare Turn ten, Undead Labs which is stayed at the KA, and World's Edge which is Age of Empires. I'm not gonna sit here in like like Fantasy Book, which one of these studios is going to get closed. That is far too grim for me, Jane. I will say though, if I had this lineup of studios and just couldn't figure out how to how to get great games out of them, to make the Xbox platform an exciting place, I just would have nowhere to put the blame except on the people above all of these studios. That is, that's a that's a you know, there's a bunch of killers in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's a it's a story we have on on the docket later talking about Q one two six revenue, but it's real quick. It's talking about how single player storage even games are still successful and still a contender for game sales. Right, Xbox, you have so many of those studios that can deliver on that exact type of game. I've seen the sentiment around the internet and our chat here. I really worry about a studio like Double Fine and Asha Sharma, other Xbox leadership not recognizing the you know, importance of a studio like Double Fine, let alone the importance of a studio like anyone else that they own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did mention or I did not mention r Kane Leone, which is another studio they have. We'll talk about them actually in a little bit. Matt Booty has something to say about Blade and a couple other games, and that's you know, We're like a lot of the rest of the news is going to be sprinkled in with Xbox stuff, good stories, bad stories, whatever, stories, and like, you know, going forward, I'm gonna keep talking about Xbox and there are a lot of people who work there who are now responsible for the state of this of this, and we're going to kind of keep covering stuff from that angle as best we can and then also trying to dissect and figure out what these executives are are doing here. Yeah, I think that, you know, this does come after yesterday Ashra Sharma had that internal memo being like, hey, it's my first hundred days. Things can't continue. We're gonna have to make some changes. I just don't see the pathway to how these things change enough based on what they're going for, like with hey, exclusives back, coming back to the Xbox console, that would really change the fate here unless the games are going to be so much better that they cannot be ignored. And it does sound like, you know, coming out of this, that they're like, well, yeah, but we don't want to actually be spending too much more money making these games. We want to come back, We want to close some studios, maybe reorganize some studios so they are not as big of a drag on our on our bottom line. You know, it takes money to do this stuff right now unless you're going to get very creative, and I just don't. It does not seem like that is in the DNA of Microsoft and Xbox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ending of that Xbox showcase this past Sunday, I think is indicative of how out of touch and out of tune the company may be overall. I know that there is still a sizeable call of duty audience that is excited about every new annual release. But to end that showcase, which I think, you know, a lot of us were like fairly positive on, you know, there was something for everyone there. To end it with a dud that is a call of duty DMZ mode from like a wonky angle just shows how out of touch they are. And you alluded to it during that talk over grub, But it felt like this is something that copilot told them to do, that copilot thought would succeed, right It's.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, And I'm like, I don't think that's over state and things. I think they're letting ya I run the company. I think they are going and saying here are my problems, what are my options? And the options are the thing that that like, you know, any analysts in this injury industry could have told them, which is, hey, you were you had things exclusive and your your numbers weren't good enough. And and this is you know, she's talking about the last five years. How the the you know, the revenue has declined, you know, five hundred billion dollars or something like that, five hundred million dollars and like over so over the last five years, they have shifted from things being exclusive to things not being exclusive. That didn't improve numbers. So it's like you go back and say to the thing, here are my problems. What can I change? Here's what I'm doing right now. And the only thing you can really change is, okay, we'll make stuff exclusive and maybe that will get people to buy hardware again, because that's where you're seeing the biggest losses in your in your revenue right now. You're not selling enough consoles. It's it's insanity.
Speaker 2: That's the other aspect, Greb. Like that I was also alluding to, Like you talk about the health of the company as a whole. Yet you have a completed game that can and would succeed only PlayStation five. You've seen how well Forts a Horizon has done. Yet because you're bending to the buzzword of exclusivity, you're going to withhold that game. You actively do not want this company to succeed. You were just trying to satisfy whatever buzzwords there are in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it. You know, for a long time now, I've heard that the people in charge of Xbox, you know, the Matt Booty's, you know, the Phil Spencer's now Asha Sharma's just they do not have vision. There's there's visionless. They are working backward from data, which you know, a lot of these companies do actually look at the data and that's important, sure, but you need to like use that to inform these ideas that you have that are bigger than that. So you can find the green pastors, so you can find the blue oceans or whatever. And Xbox has just never been able to do that. And at the end of the day, it's just this big corporation taking oxygen out of the room from an industry that did just start in garages. It did start in people's basements making games as a hobby. Like you know, you go back to the eighties and the microcomputer scene in the UK, where it's just people like basically making games for pennies if they were selling the games at all, and it was just like, hey, it was a passionate thing, and they got dollar signs in their eyes to a certain degree. But then the corporations thought that it would become something that it just never was going to be, like it's about buying and playing games. And Microsoft always reviewed it as some pathway to the living room where we can get windows into the living room. What does that even mean? What did it ever mean? It never meant anything. It was never a real thing. It was never like, no one was clamoring for that. Just Xbox, if you can make us some games, we'll buy some video games. That part worked for a while, and it worked up through the Xbox three sixty, and then they got dollar signs in their eyes again with the Xbox one, like all right, now we see the telemetry. Everyone's using this to watch TV. That's the future. We're gonna plug cable boxes into this thing and that will be there. Like here's an HDMI in and an HDMI out. Let's go, and what what are you talking about? This is how we end up here because they never really wanted to be in this business in the first place. It was always a means to an end, and if everyone in this industry is feeling used by these big corporations, yeah, that there's a reason for that. That's exactly what they were trying to.
Speaker 2: Do, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, Greb, like you know it as a youth growing up and seeing like the the inception of Xbox and then how originally how it felt like it was originally to how it is now. It felt like they were moving the needle right of, like, Hey, this is where we're going to put first person shooters, make them work on a console. You want online multiplayer that's stable and cool, where all your friends are. This is where it's at, achievements and everything. The summer of Xbox Arcade was wild to see all these indie games that I previously felt were only beholden to the PC are now coming to my home console. That felt great. And then to see any type of innovation thrown out the window and then stomped on, and then them force feeding me like whatever vision they have is just absolutely disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yep. Absolutely, Hopefully there's some alternatives coming along. Yeahlex from Hey steam Os that that would be nice, if only because it would open up Linux in a big way, and we could just get an open source future. That would be ideal. All right, let's stick with the theme you self disclosing multiple studios resulting in up to three hundred and eighty job losses. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. You'd be soft disclosing it's Winnipeg and Belgrade studios and restructuring its Barcelona office, which could result in as many as three hundred and eighty job losses. VGC understands Ubisoft Barcelona will be restructor restructured to focus solely, excuse me, on Rainbow six projects. In addition, Ubisoft has internally announced organizational changes within its global publishing team, which we'll see role reductions across the company. Winnipeg was founded in twenty eighteen and comprised around one hundred employees. It focused on developing technology for Ubisoft's game engines. And they'll and snowdrop you know a little bit of a question there. It's like, that's not just like they were some fly by Night support studio. This was not just like, oh, we can help you a little bit here. They were crucial to developing the technologies that enabled all those Ubisoft studios to work together in conjunction with one another on cutting edge game software. Because one team was responsible for making sure that stuff was up to date and the documentation was all there, it does call into question the entire way UBI Soft is going to be making games going forward. This closure, the closures, and restructuring come as part of Ubisoft's global cost saving plan, which so far has resulted in the cancelation of at least six games, the postponement of seven others, and multiple studio closures, resulting in hundreds of job losses this year. Another another wrinkle of this Jan You stuff apparently reached out to press and was like, hey, we got something we're gonna out soon. Do you do you want to do? You want to do? You have to agree to an embargo and everyone's like sure, yeah, like that's the normal. And then the embargoed information was layoffs, which is not something that's normal. I've never seen that before. No one I can't imagine, no one I've worked with would have agreed to an embargo for layoffs had they known that's what it was going to be. That's that is just diabolical.
Speaker 2: Jan absolutely insane. I there's a lot of CEOs to hate grub Uh sure, nine percent of them minus hours he's the one percent the good. But we just we're talking about mismanagement at Xbox, and this has been a long recorded case of absolute mismanagement from Eves Gumont and the whole Gumont family. With Ubisoft, this is another company where I don't expect anything good to come from and I don't have much hope for them with the existing leadership that they have on top. You have fantastic franchises within your library, yet you completely mishandle them, You mishandle your employees, you shit on them. It is God. I hate Eves Gambant, and I feel especially upset about the folks that are going to be losing their jobs in a market that is already overcrowded and overflooded with people searching and scrapping for those same jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's you know, it's gross to see, like, yeah, it's smooth w and chappoints out. This is the family that built WB soft and now they're tearing it down. And that's that's not how publicly traded companies are supposed to work. One of the ideas is like, you know, you build a company. Then you sell it publicly to people who can buy the steaks, and that means it spreads out the ownership and it spreads out the steaks that people have, and now you have to answer to all those people. So all the people that work there should have a little bit more protection because it's not like at the whims of one crazy family and it's like, oh, this is the worst of both worlds. You have to deal with all of the demands from investors to grow and the insanity of one family still kind of controlling everything. So that I mean, really it kind of gets behind like what is driving the mess? That is you be soft. This is another company that just needs to make good games and dig them out. I think we talked about it recently. The list of games that they're working on very familiar. So again, what's going to change. They're going to make Assassin's Creed, They're going to make Far Cry, They're going to make some Tom Clancy games, and then they're going to experiment with stuff here or there. But you know, they're doing a Reman, a ray Man remake a Reman, and it's again no cool. I like ray Man, you know, but what were you really doing? To change the fate of this company and it's numerous employees. The fourteen thousand or so that still work there. I mean maybe it's down to twelve thousand now, but that's still an astronomical number for this industry and really for any industry. And where's the guidance to sort of build this company for the future instead of just trying to scrape by to the next win. And it just feels like that's all they're doing, is like, maybe we can get another good Assassin's Creed game out there that people like and maybe not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can. You can remake another Assassin's Creed and push and scrape to a next one and it can be good. But that is not enough at this point, at the scale that you operate under, and after all of your previous decisions, I don't think it is enough grub to move the needle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, going back to that, like a closing down Winnipeg, which you know worked on Snowdrop, worked on a bunch of those engines. Is this another company it's going to start doing the painful transition over to unreal It's not like things are you know, rosy over there. Either, they're dropping an Unreal Engine six because a lot of developers have been tearing their hair out with Unreal Engine five. Not that they wouldn't be tearing their hair out if they were making their own engine. Still like this, that's a very complicated thing to manage, but yeah, like that. That was one of the keys to this to success for UBISAW for a long time is they just had this infrastructure that was unparalleled in getting a bunch of studios, like fourteen different teams all around the world working on the same thing. And if that's beginning to fall apart, to me, it's like it spells the end of what Ubisoft was and they're gonna have to try something completely different, and they do not seem set up to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they're quite set up to make any type of bold or positive moves as a company.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's go ahead and get to the break. We got plenty more to get into after this. If you want to skip out on these ad messages, go to GiantBomb dot com sus join and become a premium member. We will be right back. All right, it's Game mess Mornings. I'm Jeff Grubb. That's Janichoa, let's get into this next story, and again, a lot of the stuff's gonna be tainted by what's going on with Xbox, but let's try to like still suss through some of this. The Elder Scrolls six exists. This is from from Francesco Katchatore at Polygon. In a controversial day for Xbox, after recently appointed CEO Asha Sharma warned of incoming personnel cuts, almost killing all the goodwill the company accrued. During Sunday's Xbox Game Showcase, Chief Content Officer Matt Booty did the only thing that could distract fans. He mentioned the Elder Scrolls six, unfortunately reading between the lines of the usual corporate lingo and word salad that says a lot without saying anything. The conclusion is an unfortunate one, but those the Game Studios much anticipated game is not coming anytime soon. In an interview with Variety, Booty addressed several hot topics, including Xbox's return to exclusive games with Gears of War E Day and Clockwork Revolution, the console's upcoming twenty fifth anniversary this November, and his partnership with Sharma. The most intriguing answer came when the interviewer asked the inevitable question about the Elder Scroll six and the game's absence from the Games showcase. Here's Booty's full response. I would say one of the more challenging balancing acts of something in a job like mine is balancing that you want to go show the world all the cool stuff you're working on, and you want to get them excited early, but we also know that we want to wait until the right moment. And when you decide to show it, I mean, don't say it like that. You want it to be the best you've got. And also you got also that when you show the game, you're also giving the promise of hey, it's coming soon. So I can tell you, having visited Bethesda and sat with Todd and seeing Elder Scrolls playing, it looks amazing and it's coming along well, and we'll make sure to announce it and really reveal it at that same time or at the right time. Excuse me, So, I guess the one new thing here is someone has played the Elder Scroll six outside of Bethesda. It's an Xbox executive, and really nothing else has changed that this is still a game that is in the works. It's coming along soon and I just don't. I don't know. It does feel like this is another jangling key, right, This is another moment of we'll say the thing that people kind of have been asking about or have been asking about a great deal for many many years, and really nothing's changed. It's probably still years away way, but I've played it, so are you excited?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 1: This is the same mismanagement we were just talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for people that do as many interviews as they've been doing grub, I feel like there's some level of media training that needs to be enacted where you can just say we don't have further updates right.
Speaker 1: Now, yep, yeah, I mean yeah, or just.
Speaker 2: Moving on from the question. And I know, based off of how games media and games journalism is and we'll get to the plate story in a second, people will latch onto every single word that gets said. But this just feels like a nothing burger of anything. And it also feels a little irresponsible of a response to like, Okay, yeah it exists, sure, but there's nothing tangible to this grub, Like we're not going to see this anytime. You could say an Xbox executive play this, sure, who's the executive how much did they play? What is this?
Speaker 1: And you know, there are still a lot of questions around, but does you know Starfield didn't hit the way that that everyone needed it to. That is, you know, that was not the beginning of the end for Xbox, but that was the end of the end in a lot of ways where it's like that is what convinced them that they needed to go third party in all but name, and they needed to start like putting their games on PlayStation more frequently because they needed to get more sales than they were getting from these games that take forever to make. The older Scroll six feels like it's going to have all of those same concerned it's going to be big expensive, Yeah, I guess, but this is not the biggest Dutio in the world. But they're still big and they do take a long time to make their games. But a lot of is writing on this one this and you know, is this one going to be exclusive? Honestly, by the time it comes out, there could be a whole new CEO at Xbox or a whole new owner at Xbox. You know, private equity who knows, uh, things could change a great deal by the time this thing actually happens, but it just continues to feel like another set of jingling keys. As we said, let's it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, greb. If we actually look at the history, it should have been redfall that saved or either saved Xbox or led to the downfall that is.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the lunchpin you pull, that's the cornerstone. You pull that and things fall apart. Let's stick with this Xbox Game chief. Hence, Marvel's Blade could be shown later in twenty twenty six after missing the Xbox Games Showcase. This is from Brandon Lowry at Windows Central. Last weekend's Xbox Game Showcase was Microsoft's latest, big, big gaming presentation. In future trailers, blah blah blah, we talked about everything, notably, However, one game that was absent from the show was Marvel's Blade, the new single player game, a new single player third person action adventure title from Bethesda and Arcane Leone who did Dishonored and Death Loop that sees you play as the legendary vampire Hunter anti hero of the comic book first announced in twenty twenty three. During the game, words we've already or we've barely heard or seen anything about it since earlier this week, one of one of the people at the studio, the lead concept artists, responded to someone asking about the game with let us cook. I you know, Jam we talked about it, and I was like, I don't know if I haven't heard about it. Was that when one of the games got canceled and people freaked out, and so I went to go look, I'm like, let me double check. Seems like the game is coming along just fine. It is in the works. But this is a this is a team at Microsoft that is you know, they are probably not feeling too hot about where they're at because Arcane Leon had a strong relationship with Arcane Austin, which did get shut down, and I don't know, I bet they're just not happy to like do with it. What They're not there to like make Microsoft Xbox look good. They're there to make the good game. And that's what I was kind of talking about earlier. When we talk about these stories. There's going to be some times where it's like I want to talk about the good game that the good people are making, and there's a lot of good people at Arcane Leone trying to do exactly that, and what it means for Xbox is kinda who gives a fuck at this point, Let's get let's just let us see the good game, no matter where, we're going to get to play it. Because this is a team that does interesting things. They seem to be putting putting together something pretty impressive here by all accounts, by what I'm hearing, And you know, what does that mean? And if they are that passionate about if they deserve to have a chance. But yeah, how would you be feeling if you were working on this game at Arcane?
Speaker 2: We own right now, jan Ah, the ice around me is quickly melting grub right like you see peers from other studios, similar other Arcane studios getting let go and shut down. Support is leaving you. Who knows how much actual communication is happening from the top down from like Xbox leadership to Arcane. It probably does not feel good and it is probably hampering your actual work when you are are seeing everyone around you is studios are getting closed, games are getting canceled. I don't think it's a good feeling. It's probably a very tense feeling and not a cool one like a blood rave.
Speaker 1: Yes right, those are the coolest things you could be a part of as a blood rave, and that image is steered into my brain. I hope that's in the game. I hope there's a blood rave in the game, Like if you were making the game, you would make a rave of blood. Yeah. I mean, I think we probably do see this game actually later This year of French studios showing up to like games common Europe sounds right to me. Maybe it's there and they've been part of a chilly stuff before, so maybe it's opening that live. Maybe it's the Game Awards again.
Speaker 2: I don't know, what do you think, uh, Greb, I think of a fantastic quote in how it feels like Xbox leadership and how people are treating this Blade game. Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.
Speaker 1: Some motherfuckers, right, I can't. I think about that every day. Yea, that goes through my head constantly, honestly, and any chance to use it, I appreciate it all right. Q one twenty twenty six revenue figures show there is still demand for compelling single player video games. Surprise. This is from Sophie McAvoy at Games Industry dot biz Global Game Content Revenue increased three point six percent to fifty four point one four billion dollars in Q one twenty twenty six, marking the seventh consecutive quarter of year over year growth, according to estimates reported by SMP Global Market Intelligence. The content revenue figures cover software in game purchases and games based and game based subscription services, but do not include hardware. Basically, ten cents still the biggest company in the world, net Ease is number two. These are massive companies that have ownership over studios all of the world and then also have unparalleled access to one of the biggest gaming markets in China, so they have what I would call an unfair advantage that they're just big and they cannot be messed with when it comes to that. But there are some notable like game publishers and studios that saw massive increases in their revenue over the last year, and two of them that this story calls out are Capcom and pearl Abyss Capcom Resident Evil, Pearl Abyss Crimson Desert. They saw some of the biggest year on year revenue increases and it's through their games, which were big single player narrative based releases. Capcom's gaming content revenue jumped eighty nine point eight percent to four hundred and fifty one point eight million dollars thanks to Resident Evil Requiem, the fastest selling game in the franchise so far, while Pearl abyss Is revenue stared by an astonishing four hundred and sixty eight point six percent to three hundred and twenty eight point one million dollars, with Crimson Desert selling over five million copies. That number just went over six million copies just the other day, I think maybe just yesterday actually. SMP noted that despite the dominance of live service games, Q one continued consumer demand for single player titles like Requiem and Crimson Desert. The largest dollar games remain concentrated among a relatively small group of scaled publishers and platform holders with durable live service portfolios, strong positions in China or both. But the quarter offered at least some evidence that consumers are willing to give traditional standalone titles. Look, should publishers deliver a compelling package? And it's like, I mean, Jim, we started off this story scoff and I think we can begin scoffing again. No shit, And it's surprising we kind of have to keep teaching you this lesson old men, like we kind of have to keep hitting you with this that like the demand is there, we have not gone anywhere. No, this cohort has money to spend on this hobby. It is being stretched further than ever. It's being over extended in numerous ways. But when we get home from spending too much money on gasoline and food and in other forms of entertainment, one of the first things most of us are still doing is turning on video games. And well that's yes, for a lot of people, that does mean turning on Call of Duty in Fortnite. Still, the people turning on single player games did not disappear, and they and they did spend a lot of money on hardware, and they're going to continue to invest in that form of entertainment. And I just feel like, man, what I just said is the biggest no DA in the world to the people who listen to this show, because we all that's all of us.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, grew up like I. Despite having a fantastic PC, great Internet, I don't often play games with other people unless it's here at work, and I have a fantastic time when we do fire up a multiplayer game for sure. And if I do play a multiplayer game, I'm not gathering a group of friends or a party. I'm just jumping into like a random round of Deadlock or Marvel Rivals. The time when I'm hunkering down and playing a good chunk of a game generally is when it is a single player game, like I talked about the bomb cast, but like the level of immersion and getting lost into a world that a lot of people feel with a game like Red Dead Redemption two in Crimson Desert. That experience and the level of immersion I feel in a game like Double O seven First Light, right, I'm transported into a fully realized character, and That's what I want to be spending the little bit of free time I have. Not it isn't always with other people playing a Call of Duty, a marathon or whatever else.
Speaker 1: Have you, And it's you know, and I think the other part of this conversation we always have is like, yeah, but what about the kids? Are they getting into this space? Well? Like, look, what can we say other than Resident Evil Requiem is the fastest selling Resident Evil game ever. That only happens if more people than ever are playing Resident Evil games that's what that means. So Okay, maybe it's maybe it's not all kids, but some kids are coming into space a little bit. But you're also active eating new groups from slightly older demographics that are coming in and like looking for a hobby that is different than the ones they've engaged in before, and video games are screaming at them. Look at this amount of content you have from something like a Resident Evil, and they promise to continue investing with new games. You know that if you spend your time on this, you're going to be rewarded with a future that is bright for that series. And Resident Evil is raping those rewards and everyone else that's sort of copying that is beginning to do exactly the same thing. And I think that is like you, just like I was saying, I might have said on the couch, I might have said in a private conversation, you win by throwing the coolest party, Like you win by throwing the coolest party that people want to be a part of. Yes, Jan, you win by having the coolest party and then the kids will want to be a part of it if it's the coolest and Resident Evil right now is the coolest party. Everyone sees that. It's like I want to be watching content creators play that. I want to play them myself. I want to play them with my friends, I want to talk about them with my friends. And that is something that eventually rottrition will win over new audiences. I think that's the underlying story to this story.
Speaker 2: I think Capcom as a whole lately has been like the party to be at right, because it's not just with Resident Evil Reque I'm selling big numbers, but is also with like a new ip like Pragmata selling very well and performing very well. People wanting to get into that game. And I don't know what Capcom is managing to do. I actually grab I know what it is. They're making video games and that's what is drawing the people to them.
Speaker 1: Go figure. YEP.
Speaker 2: A lot of stories today, GREB make me just want to shake someone, grab them by the shoulders and shake.
Speaker 1: Them absolutely same. One person I'm not gonna shake is Michael Hyam who asked RGG about Tupac let's see, And I'm honestly Michael Hyam the person I would want to ask this question. So let's see. He over at IGN asked a lot of people have concerns about Tupac's casting here, saying maybe he should have been left alone and maybe you shouldn't have done that. How do you respond to those criticisms? And this is Yoko Yama from RGG. I think when you're creating any product in entertainment industry, there's going to be criticism. You can't really say, don't criticize us. That just doesn't make sense. Criticism is a freedom that people are free to have. But this, but this is something that we thought was a good idea. This is something that would add value to our game, which is why we chose to do this.
Speaker 2: Not a great answer, No, a terrible answer, Greb. Sometimes I feel bad when I pop up on this program. The kids may consider me a little too woke, And you know what, I don't give a fuck. Yep, my eyes are open, bitch. This is a fucking terrible thing. The asinine takes that I've seen of like, oh, his estate approved it. You fuckers don't even know that his estate isn't even run by his family. Yeah, it is people trotting out a person that is dead, that has no autonomy, no choice over how his image is being presented or his remaining family members are are choosing to preserve the legacy of this person.
Speaker 1: There's there's like ways to make that make sense, and none of it has to do with adding value to the game. The game you're trying to sell us just honestly, the worst answer they could have given. Like there's like something like like he meant a lot, and here's how we're going to Like that begins to get at something that feels real if you start talking about like the the emotions behind it and how much he means to you and how much you think you can do right by by him or anyone that you put in your game, but let alone a dead person who did not have a say to then not be able to translate that to anything other than we think this makes the game a better volume value proposition.
Speaker 2: It's in vane.
Speaker 1: You've lost the prom you've lost the plot. Rgg. Like there was a time where like you were cool, you were the cool party. This this feels like the exact opposite of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Greb, I have a lot of thoughts on this, like rumbling around in my head. If this was like done in a historical context, right, you're retelling like a historical event maybe sure, Yeah, but this is in fucking Japan in like what the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 1: I'm right if it's like or like, you know, it's a retelling of you know, the Black Samurai story and a different context in a different time, and you thought Tupac was the best vessel through which to do that, And you can explain that in very detailed language and through real reasoning why that is the way you wanted to do that. Again, I would listen because I like dumb stuff like this. The one thing I didn't want to hear was just like, this was a great commercial opportunity. To me, that's the thing that just makes me sick to my tummy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes me like livid also grub just the way that uh, media as a whole, and that's music, television, movies, video games is so okay exploiting black bodies and and in this case, dragging out a dead person without their literally without their say or their families say in the matter. So much popular culture is is and should be attributed to black culture, yet it is not.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It is constantly exploited, constantly ignored, exploited. And this is just another example of people being so fucking out of touch. Just because you think it's cool doesn't mean that it's actually Okay. Yeah, fucking dorks.
Speaker 1: Also, fuck you, Snoop Dogg. I'm done with you, man. It's not doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fucking that's the other thing about Stranger that heaven. You have a fucking sellout like Snoop Dogg and you think it's gonna be cool.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Yeah, that's that's it's yeah, that's the party's over all right, Thanks him for asking about that. I appreciate that. Let's see here, we got a few more stories. Okay, yeah. Xbox says hardware pricing boom represents great opportunity for games streaming. This is from Alex Forbes Calvin at Games Industry OPIZ. Xbox is newly anointed Chief strategy officer Matthew Ball has said that the current spike in hardware pricing represents an opportunity for game streaming. Speaking at the Games Business Alive, the executive said that already a lot more people have been using the company's Xbox Cloud gaming. That being said, Ball emphasized that streaming was one part of Xbox's you know, strategy, blah blah blah. All this comes amidst the seismic impact of the AI boom that is having huge ramifications on gaming hardware prices. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Valve have all announced our RP. Like you know, retail price increases for consoles due to market conditions. This is a great window for streaming. Ball said, it's a great window because there's a bunch of outstanding games. We have a shortage of console supply, and that is definitely evident in the data. We are seeing a lot more people using the platform. They are trying it. There are, of course, a number of challenges in the market that people are navigating. We feel very strongly about a return to Xbox. We are very clear, I want to make no mistake around that. At the same time, we feel very fortunate and privileged to have multiple different avenues for players to play. We mentioned earlier that if you want to play on PC, you can do that. It's not exclusionary and there are hundreds of millions of billions of people who have access that way. I mean, he goes on to talk about he says more of the same. Okay, look, it is always nice to have options. I don't want to hear how it's great for this alternative means through which you benefit more than anyone else. When people are locked into your cloud infrastructure, which you have full control over, that affordable computing is over. Like, that is a crisis. This is a crisis we're going through right now that that you know, we can no longer own the computers through which that we like, you know, you go back to Arthur C. Clark, you'd go back to all these guys originally talking about, Hey, we're gonna get to a point one day where the elites control the technology and the information and the data and we do not have access to it. And then they use that against us, and they weaponize that against us, and suddenly we don't have control of our society and our democracy anymore. And we're living through that right now. And to hear that that's a great opportunity for fucking ex cloud. I don't. I'm so done with this stuff, especially from guys like Matthew.
Speaker 2: Ball Jan Matthew, you take your ball and go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm done with these people.
Speaker 2: Absolute loser behavior. It's you see these people in this I'm not advocating for violence, I'm not. But if you have a really juicy tomato, you know, sure, I'm what else to do with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. For me, cloud gaming is is kind of a it's always been an interesting little thing that can it's oh that works, that's that's neat. It's a non starter for me.
Speaker 2: In a very neat case of course, right, Yes, I need I.
Speaker 1: Need to control my my my my own files, my own programs. I want to be able to mod my stuff. These are this is my software. Once I buy it from you, I want to do whatever the hell I want to it. That includes, you know, extracting saves and moving into other platforms, something I've done before, like, like I said, modding the hell out of games. This is you know, it's mine now, it's all my computer. It's this is my hardware, my software. I want to do what I want with it. That is a huge part of the appeal of gaming to me at this point. And uh, that is non negotiable. Like if it's if they start like establishing that that is something like and they keep saying the right thing here that it's oh, it's just another choice, but we know where they really want us to be, and it is them controlling the hardware stack. That is what invit kind of keeps gesturing towards and it's because they can sell sixty thousand dollars GPUs to a couple of companies instead of selling us selling US five hundred dollars GPUs or consoles or whatever, and that's way more appealing to them and something. I mean, this is the kind of stuff that regulation. There should be something done about this, we need to have And I get that the pricing right now is out of control of some of these people, but I'm trying to figure out who did this whole air thing in the first place. And oh, it's Microsoft, so you're the reason pricing is out of control. Maybe rain in the other side of the business so that we can have nice things again, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like my brain has just been buffering this whole episode. Grub. I know, it's just an absolute insane approach to this. And also, Grub, I feel like a big not a big part.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about video game development, but I feel like a good part of video game video hardware development is the tinkering aspect, right, getting into the guts and the nitty gritty the files of things and understanding how that works. You take that away from people and you were going to kill the future of this industry in different forms than you're already killing it, taking away ownership, and it just here's another subscription for you to to for us to have you on the line for I don't want it. I already didn't want an Xbox, I don't want in my clouds.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At this point, it's like, you know, the the more we can sort of excize and remove these big companies from our gaming lives, the better. Like I do still want to play some games produced by the companies owned by Microsoft. I really enjoyed, enjoyed Forts Horizon six, and I'm glad they made it. I'm glad I played it, but I I you know, the next day going to another game not being not putting made by Microsoft felt a lot better because I just don't want to be dealing. They bring nothing to this industry except for pain. At this point, it feels like we probably could have gotten a Forts Horizon six without them, you know, we you know, obviously they owned the IP That's not what I'm talking about, But like, this industry will be better without them in the long run. And this industry, this hobby, that's the side I care about. The hobby where we are tinkers and we are just playing stuff because we enjoy it. And people were making games in their garage forty years ago and those people still exist, and I want to be playing their games first and foremost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of my excitement grub from SGF wasn't actually at any of the big shows. It came from like the smaller indie titles we played. You were playing the demo for blood Dungeon yesterday before Space Ace, Blightening Round and blood Dungeon. That those developers, they're like in tune with what I want from a game.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: The future isn't with these big, gigantic studios and I don't I don't think it ever has been. It will come from the people in a basement innovating and doing silly goofy ideas like maybe you play as a baby.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, yeah yeah. Foconus says no, Microsoft eqes two thousand dollar PS six. I don't think Sony's the answer either, Like I mean, I think I think we're even Nintendo, Like I think we're talking about getting some open source hardware going forward, like we're so used to the console, uh sort of lifestyle and the console light life cycle that we kind of can't imagine a world a world without it. Well we are. We're crashing into that world right now. That's what we're really looking at. And Microsoft is already talking about moving on and kind of changing what that looks like because they know they need to. They can't keep doing the same thing forever. So uh, let's get on the other side of it. And if it's you know, stagnant open source hardware that doesn't like, like like like improve a ton over time, so what, I don't care anymore. Or I just want to play cool games, maybe by cool people, and I don't care if it's the most cutting edge shit in the world anymore. All right, last couple of stories here, Sega's heavily recruiting for Sonic Team basically sounds like, yeah, they are beefing up for the next big Sonic game. Scenario writer, producer, lead planner, lead graphics program er, client programmer, technical art manager, and tha engineer. They are going hog wild over there, not where hog wild, but they are going wild over there. It seems like they're beefing up. I wonder if this is still for Sonic Frontiers too, or maybe some other new three D Sonic but and I personally think I would. I would be welcoming a Sonic Frontiers too, But whatever they're going to work on over there, I was pretty into that game, so I'd be excited to see what the follow up would be.
Speaker 2: Jan should we should we like be scared grub that they're recruiting people.
Speaker 1: I think I'm always worried about what Sonic team is doing. Yeah. Absolutely, they showed us Pico Park Sonic or whatever, and we're gonna have to you what that first and foremost. But then yeah, I think we should be scared.
Speaker 2: I would like a really fun three D platform or Sonic game. I think we're it's been overdue. Despite how people feel about the Sonic Adventure series, I think Sonic needs this win. He's done very well at the movies. Let's bring it back home.
Speaker 1: Say what that bobb Z four D one of the best Sonic games. It's you can turn into a little ball and spin it around and go fast, and it's got like like the tubes that feel like those Sonic Bonus stages and stuff, and it feels great. It's good.
Speaker 2: Mario Odyssey is one of the best Sonic games.
Speaker 1: I've ever played yes all right and then finally Spyro's big comeback wouldn't be possible without first escaping the call of duty minds. This is from ash Parish. The story is basically Microsoft did do all right by toys for Bob. By letting them get out of Microsoft. Is what apparently that studio is saying like that could have gone a bunch of ways. They could have kept in there working on call of duty. They could have closed that studio letting them escape Microsoft. The best thing Microsoft did is letting let the studio escape Microsoft. And now they're working with Xbox to make this Spiro four. Uh cool. I guess I'm glad that the studio is able to do what they do best, and that is not making assets for call of duty levels.
Speaker 2: Can good good for y'all. Grab a studio I hope can follow this model and escape Microsoft. Is double five.
Speaker 1: I know, I know they got their money, they got the bag, and it doesn't feel like that financial backbone that they liked for so long it's going to be there for much longer. So double fine our Kane leone. There's a laundry list of studios that I hope can follow this, and yeah, especially before whatever happens to Xbox happens, Like I just like, in ten years, do we still think Microsoft owns Xbox or you know, I don't. I don't think Xbox is only gonna disappear overnight or they'll close it down. They might spin it off to private equity or something. These studios got to get out of there before that happens.
Speaker 2: We we got to do a season one prison break grub. Yeah, all right, we have to tax Mike Minatti the schematics and blueprints.
Speaker 1: We can't read this, there's too much body hair.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, you're gonna have to get tagged, all right.
Speaker 1: Sorry. There was a Dianic tab open that someone sent me of a terrible song and I clicked on it trying to get to the giant bomb post here where there are threads and polls. In fact, we have the poll question from yesterday. We did we? Oh maybe we didn't. I don't I not do one yesterday?
Speaker 2: You know what, I didn't write one and I didn't check it about it.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right. SGF has killed us all. So we have a new one for today. Is what you forgot? The pull sys slain MC awsame, thank you, Slaine. Well, we have one today, so let's talk about that, everybody. We didn't die at SGF and we're just husks of men. That's not true. What do you want from the next three D Sonic, Sonic Frontiers two or something different? Those are your two options. Oh yeah, we did do a poll about the Nintendo Direct, A grade whatever, I don't know. Drop those in chat right now. Everyone throw your A, B, C, D or F in chat right now and we'll see which one of which letter I see the most, and that'll be the informal poll. But yeah, I do want Sonic Frontiers too. I think they had a nugget of an idea there, and I want to see them refine it in a good to a good degree. Lots of c's, yeah, lots of c's from people. There's some b's, some d's. I saw one A so far. Jan I don't know. I think I think I'm like CUS, No, not C plus. I'm like C plus or pnus is where I'm at for the Direct. It's just have they shown anything from Dusk Bloods and or Zelda or showed any Disney Worlds in Kingdom Arts for a series. I don't care about beyond like what Disney shit's got to be in there. I would have been much happier with that direct, but those all three kind of disappointed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't mind it so much for some more as mostly I recognize this is not like the take that everyone has. I just thought it was hilarious to reveal Kingdom Hearts four here and then give everyone five seconds of Okarina of Time.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think I did.
Speaker 2: I appreciated the chaos.
Speaker 1: It was a chaotic one. There's definitely some memes that I'll be using forever. Koizumi playing thumb war is just gonna be what I think about every time I'm excited about something for the rest of my life. So there we go. All right, we'll get the poll question answered for the Sonic one on tomorrow's show as we wrap up the week. Also, I think we should still have the Last Bomb twelve form going. I'll double check on that, but that should still be going. We'll get the results of that on tomorrow's show as well. And yeah, let's see, it's giant bomb. Everybody jam. What do we have going on?
Speaker 2: We have an episode of Voicemail dump truck popping off later today, We're gonna somehow manage to do that, drag ourselves to go gab in front of microphones again. Upf tomorrow seems like it'll be a grab bag, but I'm going to maybe start an hour earlier and just play Marvel Rivals, even if it's by myself, because the big dog Cyclops is finally in the game tomorrow. I'm so excited grub game.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy for you. I want to see him, so maybe I'll hop in there see how biggest thighs are.
Speaker 2: The biggest thighs greb. I also had the most insane thought and idea, And I don't want this to alarm anyone. Okay, this is not a cry for help. Me shaving my head was also not a cry for help, Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Knew that, but I'm worried about this one.
Speaker 2: I thought about red downloading Class Royale.
Speaker 1: Jan Ja Dodah is one thing Clash Royale, But like what if yeah, you gotta yeah, you gotta play Final Fantasy fourteen Final Jansy, Yeah, but you don't la on my phone, oh boy, jan oh No, Okay, not a cry for help, but clearly a sign of where you're at. Clearly. I'm excited about guitar ru man. Come into PlayStation Plus next week.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: If you do, let me know what your clans.
Speaker 2: I'll join, all right, everybody grub it's the one where it's there's no clans. It's like the mobile one.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, this is the one that's like, yeah, you send out the three guys. I actually never played a Clash of Clans. I only played a Clash Royale, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's I'm sorry everyone, all right, I won't do it.
Speaker 1: Fine, man, people are everyone so worried about Chan? All right, we're gonna get out of here, everybody and get him his intervention. We will be back with the show tomorrow. There's voicemail dump truck later today. There is a UPF tomorrow. The times moving around on that will let you guys know when exactly that's going to start. But thanks for hanging out with us all this week. Thanks for hanging out with us at SGF last week. Really appreciate everybody as always, thank you for listening and watching. Your the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 2: People are telling me cigarettes are better. The clash right