Speaker 1: I don't think it's a coincidence that the first wall wall that's opening up is not too far. In fact, it's very close to one of the many Kentucky and at Thornton's locations, because you know they're trying to compete, and I wish them the best of luck. I'm a Thornton's man. I think a lot of people who know me know that if you are just now getting getting to know me by listening, I am fueled by Thornton's John.
Speaker 2: Am I telling a lie? Or am I telling the Joe?
Speaker 3: You are the Thornton's man.
Speaker 1: I'm the Thornton's man. So keep them in mind when you want to start your day. You can save money at the gas pump by becoming a Refreshing Rewards member. And they also got the best donuts in town. I can't prove that, but if you trust me and you give them a shot, I'm very confident you will agree.
Speaker 2: And if you disagree, that's fine. Just know that you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Just want you to know that it is seven to five here Kentucky in This Morning News with Nick Coffee on Newsrady eight forty whas as I'm looking here at the coverage of yesterday's parade in Oklahoma City, and I'm assuming it's hotter there than it is here. Maybe I'm wrong, because it's hot as hell here, right, It is just disgusting outside. If winning a championship ends up, you know, one of the many perks and gifts that you get is to walk around outside for hours. I don't want to win. I'll throw the game if you tell me that it requires me to then walk around outside with a million people, seemingly in the heat. We've got going on across the country. It's not just here, it's everywhere, seemingly, mean not everywhere. In fact, I did see that was it Montana that actually had a legitimate snowstorm yesterday, So not everywhere. But anyhow, it's warm, and it's already up to I think eighty degrees and it feels like eighty five. So just be prepared for that because this gross weather has been here for a few days and it's going to be here at least until today. And that I mean, there are people out there that do prefer this, right, I mean I don't know them. I think they need to be evaluated, but I mean, you walk outside yesterday, even this morning. I mean at three o'clock in the morning, when I walk out of my house, the sun's not beating on me because it's it's not it's day it's not daylight yet. It's still nighttime essentially, But it's so gross, Like I just can't imagine somebody walking outside of me, like.
Speaker 2: Oh this is this is great? How refreshing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Mother Nature really hooking it up today. But everybody's got their own preferences. I've always been someone that actually does enjoy I like the winter time, the winter season, everything that comes with it, and I don't mind a good snow every now and then as far as just something pretty to look at. Certainly I prefer we get it on Christmas. Doesn't always work out that way, but I prefer Like, again, everybody's got their preference.
Speaker 2: Would you rather.
Speaker 1: Be in insanely cold conditions or insanely hot conditions? I think when it comes to heat, you can only take off so many layers, right, and in cold weather you can bundle up and stay warm. But even if you put unlimited layers on at times, if it's so cold, it's just going to be brutal. But look, it gets dark earlier during the wintertime, there's not as much to do outside. In the wintertime, there's not as much vitamin D to take in. So I understand, like the seasons when it comes to just like what's the funner time of.
Speaker 2: The year for people, I get it.
Speaker 1: It's usually spring, summer, and then fall, and then the winter is something that gives people legitimate like seasonal depression. That's a real thing. But I've always been I guess just wired different. Some say I'm just weird. I prefer it being cold outside, and I'm also maybe this just says I'm a sick and twisted individual.
Speaker 3: I don't mind when it gets dark early. Well here's a great thing for you now too. With this new schedule, it'll be way easier to fall asleep at times, like you know, seven o'clock at night, because it'll already be pitch a black outside.
Speaker 1: And that has been I'm glad you said that, John, because that has actually been my biggest challenge when it comes to adjusting. I mean it's not been super smooth. I now I now at least know better, right, Like if I end up deciding, hey, no, I don't I don't need to get a quick nap in to reset. Like I know now that by the time we get to eight o'clock, I'm dead and I'm gonna pay for it. But my kids, it's dark. It's it's not dark outside until like past ten pm. And and when it's daylight, and I'm trying to get them, you know, calm down and get them at least heading into the direction of getting rested to go to sleep. When they see that it's daylight, they're like, what are you what are.
Speaker 2: You talking about? Dad?
Speaker 1: It's not nighttime. And I'm struggling when it comes to that. So, yeah, you're right, though, when it gets to to be fall and winter, it'll be much different, and it'll be it'll be dark at six.
Speaker 3: O'clock, even five o'clock, once you get to the really true worst days of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I that seems like it was so long ago, but it really wasn't that long ago. Whenever we made the you know, whenever you have the you know, the annual time change where of course it becomes it stays, it stays light much later into the evening. But yeah, whenever I would wrap up the show when I was doing sports at six o'clock, I mean, it would be, it'd be pitch block outside as if.
Speaker 2: It was midnight.
Speaker 1: So anyhow, gonna be another warm day today, So just be prepared for those of you here in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Anda.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Also, Tom Jurich, he's gonna be honored this weekend as UFL is going to name part of Floyd Street after him, Jurich Way. He was on with Terry Miners yesterday. We'll let you hear some of what Tom had to say about this big event coming up on Saturday, and a lot more as we wrote along here on news radio eight forty WHS. If you were listening to Terry Miners yesterday afternoon, which I hope you were, you probably heard a familiar voice if you're a Louisville fan, and that was Tom Jurich, who joined Terry to discuss this weekend's event. On Saturday, at ten am, the University of Louisville, along with the City of Louisville, will be honoring Tom Jurich by naming part of Floyd Street after him.
Speaker 2: It'll be called Jurich Way.
Speaker 1: So again, it's at ten am, and I would expect a good to really good crowd, just depending upon the amount of Louisville fans that I think are well aware that the athletic Department at U of l is is really on a different planet than what it could have potentially been on had Tom Jurich not had the impact that that he did.
Speaker 2: So again, Saturday, June.
Speaker 1: Twenty eighth, ten am at Lenny Lyles Plaza at card Park that's twenty one to thirty five South Floyd Street. Here is some of Tom's comments to Terry yesterday.
Speaker 4: Well, it's awful nice. I mean, it's very humbling to say the least, you know, but I appreciate Craig reaching out and wanted to do this, and certainly the people of the university also, and it's it's just a great time to reflect on the wonderful memories that we had of the city of Louisville.
Speaker 1: So I think this is this is something that is for Tom and also for fans and of course the.
Speaker 2: University those that are that are that are that are.
Speaker 1: There currently that realize one, this is a deserved honor for Tom, but also that this can only I think be a positive thing for everyone involved. There's no negative situation that I think could come from this. I could be wrong, but I've heard from some and some of the people that I've talked to about this are people who have also worked sort of in media that have had that, that have covered U of L that maybe you know, they didn't just cover the athletic department, maybe they covered the university and they were really I guess tracking the foundation situation, if I can call it that, between James Ramsey and Jurich. And you know, I won't claim to have all the knowledge about that, but from a fan standpoint.
Speaker 2: Fans don't care about that.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that like, you know, anybody bringing it up, is that a line or whatever, But like, at this point, the guy has not worked here in almost a decade, and I just you know, there was a lot of I mean, look, the exit was messy, and he'll even tell you that. I'm pretty sure he has never at any point not been pretty clear that he's unhappy with the way it ended. And I think most would be if you were Tom So, I see this as nothing but a win win for everybody involved, and I get the sense that most are on the same page. But regardless of what your thoughts are on Jurich. I don't know how you could even debate that he has maybe been the most impactful human being in the history of Louisville's athletic department as a whole. That may sound like I'm gassing him up a little too much, and that's to the extreme, but I mean, and again I'm not talking about one specific sport. I'm talking about what the athletic department is today.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Louisville basketball obviously stood on its own before Tom was around because what Denny Crumb did. And no offense to those that came before Denny, but obviously Denny made Louisville a basketball program, a basketball school, and certainly, I mean it's why you are still today viewed as one of the top seven eight programs of all time because of the foundation that was set mostly by Denny. But to Tom's credit, when he did have to make a move and Denny was nudged out and they had to go get somebody else to kind of, I mean take it over for Denny Crumb. Big shoester Fiel right, especially considering that been it had been some time since Louisville had some real, notable special teams that made deep runs in the tournament, and he went on and got Rick Patino, and obviously Rick Patino being here as long as he was and the incidents that took place, and Tom being very loyal to Rick. That was ultimately why Tom Jurch and Rick Patina worked both effectively fired in twenty seventeen. But regardless, Rick Patino's run here at Louisville with multiple final fours in a national championship, that was such a monumental era that has allowed you to again have disastrous seasons like you did with Kenny Payne, and yet still be a program that people can can can know how bad you were for a little stretch there, and still say without any hesitation that it's one of the best, at least one of the top ten programs of all time. So, you know, the other athletic departments, I mean the investments in resources and the hires that were made from Dan McDonald to Jeff Walls, I mean, to Charlie Strong, I mean that was he messed it up with Cragthorpe, meaning he got it wrong. You know, nobody as an athletic director I think has made a perfect hire every time. Clearly Steve Kragthorpe was not one, but he quickly corrected it and hired Charlie Strong, who the timing of Charlie's success, I mean that was that was impactful in a way that I don't think people realize. If you didn't have any momentum in football at the time the ACC had an opening, I don't know if you'd gotten the invite. So the momentum that Louisville Athletics had at that time when the ACC had a spot open because Maryland left to go to the Big Ten, I mean, there are a lot of factors at play, but really the athletic department booming and thriving the way it was was how you ended up getting that ACC invite, and that is I think largely due to Tom Rich And let's even back up the Big East. That was a big jump. Let's be real, going from Conference USA to the Big East was a big jump as well, and it I think is mostly due to the to the effort in in what Tom George did. So I'm happy for Tom and I'm hoping that he despite having some clear bitter feelings towards how it ended here, he's he's He's beloved by a lot of fans and I expect he'll be able to really feel that on Saturday. All right, we got at sports update coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald. But first let's get an update on Trappick and weather right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here Kentucky and his.
Speaker 1: Morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Listen live wherever you are, whatever you're doing. You can do that with the iHeart Radio app. Also listen at whas dot com. So there is a new law in place that impacts teachers in Kentucky as well as coach. This is from Senate Bill one any One, and it went into effect just recently. It now restricts how public school employees and volunteers meeting coaches and those that work in the school that maybe are not full time or maybe just volunteer, but it restricts how they can communicate with students. And this is to prevent child sex abuse. So you'll have no texting, social media or third party app communications with students, no messaging to students' personal emails. All communication is going to be going through a traceable school channel. And I'm sure the school systems are still working to put that together. Maybe they have it, but everything you do as far as communicating with any student will now be traceable, which again, all that makes sense, but I do think there's clearly some challenges that are going to be involved here, and overall, I think if you just instant reaction, especially those that aren't maybe in the school system, don't coach, don't have kids, they just.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Why would any teacher need to be texting their student directly, Why would any teacher need to be right, you know, friends with one of their students on social media on Facebook. I mean I saw somebody that I know that's a teacher that did just let everybody know, hey, I have to defriend you if you were currently a student, which I didn't know high school kids were on Facebook. But again what do I know. I don't know what high school kids do or whatnot. But anyways, this JCPS teachers they have until JCPS staff they have until August first, and they must use only JCPS email or communicate via parents. But post August first, JCPS is going to adopt a standardized traceable communication method, So school statewide have until August fifteenth to comply with this law. And when I think of high school, I think of I think of athletics, I think of basketball. I played basketball in high school. Is a huge part of my life. My high school coach was is still a huge impact on has had a huge impact on my life, and is somebody that I was very close with that I believe had a huge positive impact on my life. And had this been in place at that time, that really wouldn't have been possible. So here is a list of what you can and can't do with this new law in place. You can't send a private text message directly to students. You can't use personal email to communicate with students. You can't message students via social media rather than be Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat x Twitter. You can't like, comment, retweet, or otherwise engage in two way interaction on students social media posts. You can't use non traceable apps, which of course are dms and WhatsApp when it comes to communicating with students. You also can't communicate one on one with a student electronically without using district approved platforms or including parents. Now what you can do on the CANS list. You can use school approved traceable platforms like Google, Classroom, district Email, parent Square, which I guess is a platform, include parents in direct electronic communication when and if allowed by district community k through district issued devices, accounts that track and log all messages use approved parent communication like apps like remind or parent Square. I don't know what those are, but I'm sure they're popular within that within the you know that community. You can use that to share announcements, just communicate on schedules, that kind of stuff. Also, you can communicate with with your own children or immediate family via personal school channels if you know you're related, right, if you have a if one of your students happens to be your son or daughter, clearly they're not going to limit what you can do in that aspect. But just something something minor that and this is in the end of the world.
Speaker 2: But let's say.
Speaker 1: Let's say I'm a I'm a high school basketball coach and John Alden is my star player, and he is a star and he just picked up his dream offer from the Indiana Hoosiers. Daring DeVries said he's seen enough. He wants John Alden to wear the stripes. He wants him to wear the the uh, you know, going to be a Hoosier. I can't congratulate John on the offer on social media because I'm violating the law. I mean again, I mean again, that's an extreme example. But like to know that you now can't do that. It's crazy, you can't even I mean, like, I guess there's one thing in if you this is where maybe there's there's a gray area. If I wanted to go to Facebook and say great game tonight, really proud of my team. Scott Fitzgerald was was an animal on the backboard. If I don't tag him, is that okay? Can you say their name? Because that's not really interacting, that's just yes. I mean, I wouldn't be challenging this because I don't you know, one you don't want to be.
Speaker 2: Because here's here, here's here's the issue.
Speaker 1: You don't First of all, you don't want to violate the law and get in trouble, right, But also I think most people when they hear somebody that does get in trouble because of this Senate bill onine eighty one, they're probably just going to think they were being very inappropriate. And because that's why this is in place, because too many coaches too many. Too many teachers over the years have been able to communicate and it's not against the law, and they clearly cross the line that you can't cross.
Speaker 2: So that's why this is in place.
Speaker 1: But there's going to be some big adjustments and certainly some downsides to.
Speaker 2: It as well.
Speaker 1: But I'd say if the overall goal here is to keep teachers and coaches from crossing that line that many have crossed, and that's worth doing. But it wouldn't be shocked if they revisit this and maybe make some adjustments along the way. But we shall see. All right, Let's take a look on the other side here at more of these things that this parenting coach tells us we should stop saying to our kids, because it makes me feel like I'm parenting wrong and that makes me worried. But maybe I'm not alone. Trapping weather updates coming up right here right now on news radio eight forty whas. You may have picked up on this already, but at times can have a pretty childish sense of humor. I don't know why I find this so funny, and it happens. And what I mean is the news channels that will interview someone for a story and and mention their name, and then mention you know who they are, and just to give some context to why they're talking to this person, let me give you an example. I remember whenever I don't remember. It was one of the many controversies that U of L had over over the years, many years ago, and one of the news stations, and this is probably somebody on the younger side. They just did not realize who it was they were speaking to. But they interviewed Milt Wagner to get his thoughts, who, of course is a legendary Louisville basketball player, and instead of mentioning, you know, former cardinal national champion, it just said Louisville fan and you know that just that's probably a harmless miss it's an honest mistake, but like it's just it's a bad look. Well, I'm looking here and I don't know what I think this. I think this is a screen grab for might be drb uh. But they're they're interviewing folks, I assume about the Kroger locations across the country that are closing, and certainly there's there's some here in Kentucky, one in Louisville, and they're getting the community's thoughts on it, and John it says the person's name is Antoine Pleasants, and it says lives in Kroger. How does one obtain residency in Kroger? That would be in krog would be a cool place to live, right, Yeah, LI were.
Speaker 3: Seeing those videos where this is a while back. People used to like they would spend the night in a grocery store and they would like take a bunch of stuff and they would hide in one of the shelves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what this guy's doing.
Speaker 1: I mean, could be And there's worse places to to, you know, to lay your head at night. And there's a lot of a lot of I mean unlimited food, right, I mean, you can keep yourself busy. Of course, you'd have to clean up whenever they whenever they reopen. But I assume they meant lives near Kroger. But yeah, look, we all make mistakes, it happens, but lives in Kroger.
Speaker 2: I would I would. I would hope that's a mistake.
Speaker 1: But maybe maybe he's upset and they're talking to him because he's not only losing his grocery stores, losing his home.
Speaker 2: That's pretty a pretty big hit for somebody, all right. So we talked about this a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: And I'm sharing it because i want I want to be reassured that I'm not the only one that hears this parenting coach tell us what we should not tell our children, and know that I tell my children this, and also not want to feel like I'm a bad parent. Everybody can you know, you can parent your own way. Everybody's got their own way of doing it. But this parenting coach named reim Ryuta has shared a list of phrases that you need to stop saying to your kids if you want them to listen. The ones we mentioned earlier is because I said so, And this parenting coach says that all it does is shut down communication. If you rather explain your reasoning, even briefly, it helps your kid feel respected without negotiating or debating. Instead, try saying, quote, I know you don't like this decision. I'll explain and then we're moving and then we're moving forward. I just assume that's something for an older child, because if if if I said that that exact quote to my kids, I assume they would they'd know roughly what I'm talking about but it would be such a My son asks a billion questions every five minutes. So if I instead I just said because I said so, If I just said, I know you don't like this decision, I'll explain later we're moving forward, he would ask me a million why why you're gonna explain? What are you gonna explain? What's moving forward? How far are we moving? I mean, my kids at the age where a five minute car ride will lead to five million questions. And I know I'll miss it someday, But some days I just I just turned the radio up a little bit. It's mean, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Now? I feel bad?
Speaker 3: So does he realize you're ignoring him?
Speaker 2: At that point?
Speaker 4: The radio?
Speaker 2: Okay, Dad, why aren't you talking to me? Dad? My dad? You hear me? Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I really felt bad because now he kind of gets it, and I don't. I don't do it often, but one time.
Speaker 2: He he was, he couldn't. He was.
Speaker 1: He sits right behind me in his car seat. And I don't often drive with AirPods in, but if I'm driving and I'm having a phone call, I have them in. And he was talking to me and I wasn't. I didn't really hear him, but he was kind of going one or out the other. So I guess he asked a question and I didn't answer, so he just kind of said aloud because he's a talker like his dad.
Speaker 2: He gets it honest.
Speaker 1: He said, oh, you must have his headphones in, and I'm like, oh, he's okay, I'm sorry. I just felt I felt like I was two inches tall because he's trying to talk to me and he's just, oh, Dad must Surely Dad wants to talk to me, but he can't hear me because he's got his earbud his earbuds in. So anyways, if that makes me an awful parent, I guess you're right. But another saying here phrase I should say that that we need to stop telling our kids is stop crying, you're fine. When you dismiss the child's emotions, it teaches them that their feelings are wrong or too much to deal with. Instead, try saying quote, I see you really upset, Tell me what's happening. This helps from This helps them feel heard, calm down faster, and trust you more. That makes sense. I bet Venetti didn't say that to his no to his kids and they turned out great. So there's a lot of different ways to a lot of different ways to parent. I mean, you should always try to be great to your children, of course, but everybody's got their own style. What works for you and your kids, you know, may not work for others. All right, let's get an update on traffick and weather. Also another update on sports coming your way right here. I know he's Radio eight forty whas