Speaker 1: Hello, this is Tippy Hedron. I've been an actress for a very very long time. I did two films that you might remember, The Birds with Alfred Hitchcock and Marnie also with Alfred Hitchcock and The Count of Hong Kong with Charlie Chaplin. Out of my film career, I have been able to establish the Shambala Preserve where we rescue big cats, lions and tigers who have been born in the United States to be sold as pets. Please look us up and thank you, and I'm very happy to be doing The Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome once again, read his elemen, to the exciting show we call The Doctor Sky Show, heard exclusively here on teen Talknetwork dot com and on the many radio stations around the nation that do air The Doctor Sky Show. A special hello and thank you to our flagship radio station, KFNAX News Talk Radio eleven hundred, as we like to say in our opinion, the fifty thousand WA powerhouse of the Desert Southwest. If you're a newcomer to The Doctor Sky Show, welcome once again. Our normal topics ranged from the topic and subject matter of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, with special celebrity guests mixed into the mix, and today, Ladies and Gentlemen, an extraordinary guest speaking with Miss Tippy Hedron, Ladies and Gentlemen, American icon, an American actress and a former fashion model with many Hitchcock films to her credit, and her extensive efforts in animal rescue at the Chambaland Preserve, a seventy three acre wildlife habitat which he founded back in nineteen eighty three. Hendrin is the mother of actress Melanie Griffith, and they share credits on several productions, notably Pacific Heights back in nineteen ninety. Mister Phedron not only has had an extremely active acting career, but one is a political lobbyist as well. Her latest bill is being presented to Congress, the Federal Ban on Breeding of Big Cats Act to amend the Lacy Act Amendments of nineteen eighty one to prohibit breeding of exotic bigcat species and for other purposes. And with that latest, gentlemen, it is a true privilege and honor to welcome Actress Tippihedron to the Doctor Sky Show. Good afternoon, ma'am, and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you I'm very delighted to be on the Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: Well, ma'am, it's a privilege and honor for our side of the fence too. And you know, without going into too much detail, or I should say, take as much time as you would like, please describe to us some of the most amazing movies. And I'm a big Hitchcock fan. You're involved into The Birds and Marnie and that alone would probably be what an interview in.
Speaker 1: Itself if you because actually has done that many many times. And I also am the only actress to have worked with both Hitchcock and Charlie Chaplin.
Speaker 2: That's phenomenal, yes.
Speaker 1: It actually it is, you know, to have been directed by two of the most world famous icons in directing motion pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's an amazing story. And if you'd be kind enough to tell us, I'm reading here through your bio how Alfred Hitchcock actually found you. I think that's a fascinating story for The Birds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, it was. You mentioned that I had been a fashion model in New York. I was with Eileen Ford for eleven years and it was in the fifties, and of course during that time television took over our lives. And actually it was also the introduction of the television commercial, which became a huge business, and I did. I started doing the commercials, which was really exciting and wonderful and certainly different from still photographs, and I, you know, it was so financially lucrative that I was able to take six months off and go around the world. I called it my college education.
Speaker 2: That's an education, Yes it was.
Speaker 1: And I had done a commercial. It was a pet milk product called Seago is a diet drink, and I think I weighed all of one hundred pounds when I did the commercial. And it was a storyline, it wasn't just me holding up a product. And it was a very very sweet commercial with a little boy who sees me walking down the street and whistles at me. And Hitchcock saw as a commercial, and I guess he and his wife watched the Today Show on which it was running often, and he decided to find out who the girl was where she was. And I was called on Friday the thirteenth of October in nineteen sixty one asking if I was the girl in the Seago commercial, and I said yes, and he said, well, there's a producer director who is interested in you? And I said, well who? And he said, well, why don't you come over and meet with me and we can discuss it, and if you would bring any film and put your photos and that sort of thing. So I went over to Universal and met with this man and who was an executive at Universal, you know, because sort of the first sentence was out of me was well who is this person? And he wouldn't tell me. He didn't tell me for the entire meeting. And of course that was on a Friday, and I left my ingredients, the film and the photos over the weekend and I went back to pick them up, and I met one executive after the other, and none of them would tell me who it was. Tuesday morning, I was asked to go to an agency MCA, which is the largest talent agency at that time, you know, in the forties, fifties and sixties. And I was there then that the agent there said, Alfred Hitchcock wants to sign you to a contract. If you agree with the terms, we will go over to meet him. And I have to tell you that I was so thrilled because I had thus moved to California, back to California, and I had Melanie to support and my career wasn't going as well as I was expecting it to, and I'm thinking, oh, what am I going to do? I don't know how to type, you know, And I have to tell you that I was so grateful and relieved to have this knowledge that I would be able to support my daughter. And of course then we went over to meet Alfred Hitchcock and he opened the door and stood there looking very pleased with himself. And from then that's how it all started. And I frankly had no no idea, nor did I think it was possible for me to start in a film. I thought I would be doing his weekly television shows.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you had no knowledge really of this particular movie, The Birds at this time, as any of the details. You didn't know it. Yeah, yes, that's amazing. I mean it's one of my favorite of course Hitchcok. Many folks out there, of course, know the many great films that he.
Speaker 1: Produced, and you know, The Birds absolutely has a life of its own. It goes on and on and on, and there are always there is a new generation coming up all the time that that are fascinated with the movie. A lot of the kids are not you know, they're they're not afraid or anything else. But but with technology as it is today, it takes a lot to scare any of the kids.
Speaker 2: Now, I can imagine they want to see the blood and gore and of the days of the sixties. Of course, it was well crafted special effects that were probably very difficult to do.
Speaker 1: But they did not only difficult, but but looking back at it now, they were funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly when in.
Speaker 1: The very very first scene where the bird attacks me in the boat, yes, there was not a bird in sight up and up in the Dega Bay. So this is a later yeah, but in a way that it was not usual. They chipped the boat down to universal put it in the studio. I got into the boat and my hairdresser put two plastic tubes up the back of my head, stopping just a little bit about a half inch before my hairline, and took one lock, put it in front of my face, did my hair do, and then sprayed it, you know, out of you know. So it was almost felt felt like a football helmet. And down below the boat there was the prop man with two canisters, one with blood and one with air. Which were attached to the tubes that went up to my head. And then the bird, the fake bird was up in the rafters on a wire, and so Hitchcock said, okay, he said action or something, and I had to watch for the bird. I meanwhile, I've got this. Please look on my face because I've just pulled off. He had another prank, you know, up with Bodega bait. And the bird comes down and Bobby Bone of the prop man pushes the lever of the plunger and the blood comes out of my hair. The hair goes forward and the blood comes ter being down my forehead.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, what a special effect.
Speaker 1: Isn't that fun?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: We laugh about it now because it would be be accomplished so differently.
Speaker 2: Now, well, ladies and gentlemen, if you're just joining us, a legend of television and film. Of course, we introduced once again to the Doctor Sky Show, miss Tippy Hedron. A wonderful time that we're spending today reminiscing about her career, describing to us, of course, the movie The Birds and her affiliation with the great, in my opinion, one of the greatest of all the directors, Alfred Hitchcock and so much more, and also your participation in another of his great movies, Marnie. But one of the main reasons we asked your kindness today to be here today is to speak about your involvement in something very very important in many people's minds, and this is the Shambala Preserve. And I wanted to see if I could spend the remaining part, if not most, of this interview in Suitland and just talking about what this whole preserve is involved, as far as what it does, how it got started, and let's talk a little bit more about the bill that's being presented to Congress, the Federal Band on the Breeding of Big Catsact.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, because of you know, the films that I did, I obtained a little bit of celebrity, and I did two films in Africa and one in nineteen sixty nine nineteen seventy, but you know, started back to back, and during that time, environmentalists were telling the world that if we the people of the world didn't do something right then to stop the encroaching civilization, sport, hunting, and poaching of the wild animals, by the year two thousands they would be gone. So there was a lot of awareness going out and we learned about the flight of the whale and the panda, a tiger or the elephant, and my then husband, who was a producer and a director, decided to do a movie, and in kicking around ideas, those that answer came to us very quickly. When we were on a photo safari in Mozambique, we saw a house that had been abandoned by a game warden because it flooded during the rainy seasons. He moved out and a pride of lion moved in and we and there were lions of all sizes, I don't know how many, twenty five sitting in the windows, going in and out the doors, napping on the verandas, and it was amazing. So we thought, bingo perfect, perfect movie site animals that people are enchanted with. Got back to the States. The script was written using sometimes ten fifteen cats in a scene, and we were going to have Hollywood acting animals have a nine month shoot over and out. The trainers of these lions and tigers read the script and said, there isn't any way that we can do this film. I said, and he said, because of the numbers of animals you have working together I said, well, that's the way they were living in Africa. Yes, and he said, no, it isn't that. It's because of a natural instinct to fight an animal. They don't know. I don't want my cat hurt. I don't want to be hurt. Get your own animals to do it. Well, there's the sentence. There's the key sentences me.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So first one was a rescue. Little you know, eight week calls lion had been purchased by the doctor who lived in Mandeville County Canyon in Los Angeles. By the time the little lion was seven months old, he had destroyed the doctor's house and was taking a pretty good chunk out of the doctor. Because a little lion didn't have a four hundred pound mom to say, knock it off. I got to teach us some manners. Nor did he have any siblings with whom to play. So the doctor became the sibling and he was The doctor was screaming, somebody, takes this little monster off my hands. We did, and that was our first experience with the little allions. And then at one point we had one hundred and fifty big cats that we had rescued, and all during this time I'm thinking because of the accidents that all of us who were hurt making our movie. I was hurt, and my daughter was hurt, our DP, our first assistant, my then husband was hurt so often. They were going to name a wing at the Palmdale hospital after him.
Speaker 2: Because of course, the animals don't mean this intentionally.
Speaker 1: It's just that that is their instinct and there's nothing you can do to stop it short of a bullet to the head.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you know, we were learning so much about them, and I would say, why aren't their laws to stop this insanity? And in two thousand and three I took a bill to my own congressman to just stop the interstate traffic of these animals being sold as pets.
Speaker 2: Well, and excuse me for interrupting, but I wanted to ask you to tell me, in your opinion, how bad is the problem, because honestly, other than this particular interview in this story, I've not heard much about this, and that's why I'm glad to have you here today to talk about this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, the uh, the exotic animal trade is so huge that, according to you United States Fish and Wildlife, it's on a par with illegal drugs. Wow, and when when it gets that big and it's a it's a dirty business and it becomes dangerous. When I was working on on the Captive Wildlife Safety Act, my life was threatened and the animals that Chimbala were threatened. And you know, they may be very, very tough, but they're not very smart. They they left the threat on my answering machine. Good, so I called in the authorities and they listened, and they have a way of knowing whether this is a serial a threat or not, and they said, absolutely it is. So I couldn't. I couldn't leave the preserve unless I drove somebody else's car and I had to rent a car, have somebody with me. I could. I had to have somebody live in my house with me during the time when we were open. They sent the sheriff over to go through everybody's bags to make sure they weren't bringing in anything that would harm either me or the as the animals. And after a couple of weeks they found out where the man lived and it was out of the state of California. So the i FBI came in and they got him. He was an animal dealer and I had heard about this man and not good things about him, and you know, so I was then very very much relieved, and you know, I could go on with my life.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a very interesting guest, of course, and not just because you're certain celebrity studies and television and film. But I find it fascinating most folks that are in their senior years, of course from Cedrin would be just sipping wine and just retiring. But you're doing something actively to stop in what you consider him. And I think many people listening will easily considered to be a big problem.
Speaker 1: And the bills that I'm working on now, the federal ban on breeding the exotic sea line for personal possession, is of vital importance. I mean, the lions and tigers are apex predators.
Speaker 2: Please please explain that I'm not familiar with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which means that they are that they are head of the head of the top of the line of the food chain. They are one of four of the most dangerous animals in the world. And yet the United States government says it's okay to breed these animals. They'll give you they'll not only say it's okay to breed them, but to own them. And not only that they will give you a permit through the Department of Agriculture. Now that's all very wrong and it's given given the wrong uh message. And you know these animals are are absolutely they can be so deadly that it's absolutely frightening.
Speaker 2: And I've heard stories and I think you could, of course elaborate further on this. This is your expertise, but there aren't there people in different cities that have these animals thinking that they're just common house pets and they realize they're they're much bigger than they could maintain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're living everywhere in in the United States and in back of homes there, roadside zoos there. Most of them are in cages that are are not not well built. I mean, it takes an enormous amount of strength to keep these animals in is they if they decide to come at you or whatever, there is nothing that can stop them, accept a billet, a bullet to the head.
Speaker 2: Well, I hate to bring up the story that I think everybody listening probably recognizes the Sick and Roy show. Yes, we're one of what please explain this better, because all I understood is what one of the tigers bit one of the one of the performers and almost killed them. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Well it was Roy. Yes, Well then, and now here's another case of the instincts coming through. Roy had raised monte cor I know, I know Roy and Sigfried and Roy and I've been there and you know they they breed these animals and they raise them, and they their friends. They swim with them in the pools. I mean they you know all this, And on stage while they were doing the show, Roy had a stroke. Now it is it is an instinctive dictate for these animals to take out any being who is not healthy, who is not who is lame, anything physical wrong, physically wrong with them, so they take them out. And that's what Monticore did. He said, whoa, I've got it. I've got to dick, and they the company tried to put a spin on it that Monticare was trying to help Roy, and all of us who are in this business and know these animals, well just said, oh no, no, no, that's not the way it is. That wasn't what was what happened. Monica was going to get him.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that he that the performer had it. You're saying that he had a stroke and thus the animal's instincts was to finish him completely.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Didn't know that again, ladies and gentlemen, if you're just joining us here on the Doctor Sky Show, a real privilege and honor and a very special treat or special guest is legend of film and television. Her entire career spent, of course, as we all know this Tiphydrin, but also equally important her involvement and extreme involvement her passion for Shambala dot org. You can visit them, of course at TRIPLEW dot Chambaba dot org on the web, which I'm looking at right now, ladies and gentlemen, And I think it's important messed in the few moments that we have you tell us the progress of the Federal band. I'm bringing a big cats act. Where is it now? And what do you see will be the outcome of this place?
Speaker 1: All right? Just yesterday I got the final markup on the bill and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. Great, it's strong, it's short, it's to the point, and hopefully we'll be able to get it through hopefully in the next six weeks that it will be introduced and there will be a house number. It will then go to the Senate and when we as soon as we have the house number, we will have it up on our website. And I would urge everyone to really look into this situation of big cats as pets because it is so dangerous and very.
Speaker 2: Very very righteous cause and one that I think people of course need to know about what's going on. But to scring to us the Shambala Organization, if people were to go to the location.
Speaker 1: There you have, well, what we do is we try to educate when when when you come here, we're rather exclusive. We feel that the place is for them. We're only open one weekend a month, but we will and it's everybody loves coming here. They come often to to you know, go through the tour and you can bring your picnic and sit around the lake with us and enjoy that time as well. But when we have many, many different programs, but I think one of the nice we have the adoption program and the membership program and the educational program, and all of those things are very very important in helping us. And we are run to operate totally on donation including my own. I've never been paid on any level. In fact, about fifteen years ago I donated all of the land to the Roor Foundations, so the animals will always be safe. But one of the nicest things we do for them is that they're not in the same cage for the rest of their lives. In fact, they are not in cages. They're in large areas, some of them over an acre who and we move them from one area to another, so they have a different body of water to play in, a different tree to climb, different neighbor, a different lion or tiger to talk to. And everything we do is for their benefit, to try to give them some semblance of life, because there is absolutely nothing that we can give a wild animal in captivity that they need. There isn't one thing that they need that we can give them.
Speaker 2: Because you described it before, they're at the top of the food.
Speaker 1: Chain, and I think that's important. And not only that they should be free, they shouldn't be And I mean it would like it would be like putting us into one room and say, Okay, this is what you're this is what you're where you're going to be for the rest of your life, and that's what they are born into. They're born into living in prison.
Speaker 2: Well, the centren you also described, or at least I've been reading about these trophy hunts that are guaranteed. I mean, I understand the noble use for hunting. I mean, this is something that a lot of folks that I know are active hunters, but they do it in what I consider to be illegal.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think there's anything noble about it, and I and I understand that.
Speaker 2: I wanted you to comment though, if you would.
Speaker 1: On this, Well, I think I think it's it's egregious. I think it's it's immoral, and it's it's just another way to make money for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: No, if you would comment though on the trophy hunt, I mean I think that's that's absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh, it is a guaranteed trophy, right.
Speaker 2: And that's terrible because the animal didn't.
Speaker 1: Have a chance, not a chance in the world. That. No, it's it's it's it's a borran. That's that. And then apparently it's the you know, there there are so many hunters in the NRA, so many people who are in our government who are hunters. You know.
Speaker 2: No, I do understand the necessity for the you know, adopt an animal, and also in this particular case, more than that, the understanding of your particular piece of legislation, the federal ban on the breeding of big catsack. I think that is very noble and very much needed.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope it's a success. And I have to tell you that I love these animals more than my next breath. I look out it from my bedroom and I'm about six feet away from three very very very wonderful tigresses and am able to look at them. But you know, I know the power that they have. I know that they are totally undependable, that you can't ever ever trust them, and the damage that they can do to people with either killing them or harming them for life. Is is It's not worth it?
Speaker 2: Interesting story in the cedron and one more question or one other quick story if you could explain, explain to our audience. I'm fascinated by your war here the Vietnamese American patron Scene Award. I never knew this of the folks that were of course coming out of Vietnam or in the end of the Vietnam War.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know I have. I've helped such a wonderful relationship with several Vietnamese. I was a volunteer for an organization called Food for the Hungary Right and traveled all over the world with them and for them to two countries that have been decimated by earthquake, flood, hurricane, whatever, war in Bangladesh in Hunting seventy six or so, you know, seventy five, we took a we leased a battleship from the Australian Navy and went around the South China seas helping the both people. And that I'll never forget that as long as I live. All these people who were so desperate to get away from from communism that they went out into they foraged the oceans in these ridiculous little boats, and the pirates would get them. And I mean it was just horrendous. And what we could do is we could we could bring them on board, feed them, give them new clothing, repair their little boats if it needed. And because of international law, we couldn't leak, you know, keep them on board. But what we could do is we could guide them to safe haven, to one of the countries where they would be safe.
Speaker 2: Also, as you know best, the helping and training of the manicuristy is because, oh.
Speaker 1: Well, that happened up in Weimar, California, where we put through about one hundred or fifteen hundred or so of Vietnamese refugees and just help them with simple things like how do you go through a supermarket, getting their driver's licenses, getting a sponsor. And I brought in seamstresses and typists, and they loved my fingernails, and I thought, oh, okay, I'm going to bring my manicura stuff from La and she came up once a week for eight weeks and taught them, you know, a procedure on the nails. And after that we rented a bus and took them down to Sacramento where they went to beauty school and they went through that little study time and they all passed the test in English and got their licenses and they then went out into the world. And of course the networking of the Vietnamese refugees is amazing, and pretty soon more little shops were popping up and now it's such a huge industry and I'm so proud of.
Speaker 2: Well, it's amazing, Missedron, because when our wives and girlfriends and other female friends get the manicures or go to the nail Salam. You're helping, You're part of that effort that we see so many of the Vietnamese people of course dominating that industry. So that's amazing that you helped to get that started.
Speaker 1: You know what, I respected so much when they came in and they were not popular when they came into our country, that they did not want to be a burden on the United States. They all wanted desperately to work and find their own way. I was very impressed with that.
Speaker 2: Well, Miss Tippiheddron, I want to thank you so much. To learn more about Tippyhedron and this wonderful organization. Shambala dot orgets TRIPLEW dot, Shambala dot work and Shambala is an elegant is ancient Sanskrit word that means, of course, as you know, Missedron, meeting place of peace and harmony for all human beings, animal and human. Yes, and I want to thank you so much for spending time with us, ladies and gentlemen. That concludes it's excited edition of the Doctor Sky Show. As we always remind our listeners here and around the world, always remember to keep your eyes to the skies and literally to the stars, many of course, the stars that we have from television and film of days gone by, like our special guest today, Miss tipp Edron. Thank you so much, miss Edron for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I've enjoyed it tremendously.
Speaker 2: Thank you man,