Speaker 1: Tiver the weather today.
Speaker 2: We get clouds up until around one o'clock and that's when the sun shows up high at fifty five today. The clouds over nact down to thirty mostly sunny skies tomorrow with the higher forty two thirty three overnight low with clouds and then some rain in the daytime sometime on Saturday. Anyway, expects some rain Saturday hids in the mid fifties. It's forty four right now, in time for trafficks.
Speaker 3: From the UC Health Tramphink Center. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts and you see Health for Innovative and Personal Eyes Heartcare. Expect more at U seehealth dot com. A bit of good news. They've opened up the right lane on westbound Fort Washington Way. That's helping traffic off of southbound seventy one. Still blocked off inbound Columbia Parkway and you have to exit the third street. That's a rex southbound seventy five at Desert Charles in the center lanes Chuck Ingramont fifty five KR.
Speaker 1: See the talk station. I think about case the talks today. Jay.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday's time for iHeart Mediavas next Bird Jay Ratliffe. Love having Jar on the program. I was like wrapping up the Thursday morning shows usually on a lighthearted note, although of late we've had some pretty bad aviation news. But real quick, before we get to Jay, I want a special shout out thank you to not only everybody who went to Listener Lunch yesterday. I had a fantastic time, but if you didn't get a chance to listen every Wednesday at seven oh five we hear from Jack Atherton. He's a brilliant, brilliant guy, great commentator. Jack in his beautiful better half Ainsley made it to lunch yesterday and that was quite a trip for them. Shout out to Jack and Amesley. Great ceing Eesjy. I had quite a few listeners chime in to me and letting me know that the how pleased they were to meet you. One of my fraternity brothers, Maggie. They said you are two of the nicest people he's ever met, and I can only agree with that all day long. One of the other nicest people ever meet, Jay Ratliff, Thanks for biting by my words there and welcome back to the morning show. It's always my pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 4: Well, Jack and I have teamed up for some things over the years, so believe me, anytime you want to brag on heat and is lovely White by all means do so.
Speaker 2: They are truly fantastic folks. All right, what's the latest? We have two obviously terrible aviation incidents to talk about.
Speaker 1: What's the latest on the DC.
Speaker 2: A plane running into the helicopter, or as the case, maybe the helicopter running into the plane, which seems to be what's happening. The suggestion I've read is that the helicopter was flying at too high of an altitude.
Speaker 4: It was, yeah, and the initial focus for the National Transportation Safety Board was to recover the wreckage of the downed airliner first and then go after retrieving the helicopter. And that's what they're in the process of doing now. Because they were two separate spots where they came down, and the priority was the airliner. They've been able to take care of that. They've got the black boxes, they'll be able to determine some and a little disappointed that the black Hawk did not have a black box type of component that would allow them to listen to the conversations that were ongoing and the Yeah, some black Hawks have it, and I was hopeful that this was the case. But the latest word that we had, and of course, Brian, it may change if my information is wrong, but it does not have that capability, which means that they're going to the investigators are going to have to rely on the back and forth, the time stamps, the different types of things that they've got from a data standpoint to try to figure out why that aircraft was where it was supposed to be or where it was. Because you're right, when the crash first took place and I heard the altitude, I thought they can't be right because they've got that ceiling of two hundred feet and I can't see any reason why any helicopter crew would go above that, knowing that the commercial lanes that are there, especially going and had a runway three to three there.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Investigation continues there. And we did also find out that the NTSB told us that the jetliner did try to elevate at the last moment, apparently when they first saw the helicopter, and of course at that point in time, it was simply too late for them to do anything.
Speaker 5: Brian.
Speaker 4: The just the weirdest thing is when you look at some of these different videos, it's not like the helicopter came up from underneath and the collision took place.
Speaker 5: They were not pointed at each.
Speaker 4: Other, but I mean they almost were looking at each other as they were going in, making you think, what in the world was the flight crew of the helicopter not looking at exactly to see it, because it just.
Speaker 2: It was like a dark being thrown in a dark board. It was dead on collision. I mean, you couldn't if you wanted to, You couldn't hit it more directly.
Speaker 4: If this were a terrorist attack, that's exactly you know, I think out would look. Not that I'm suggesting an anyway that's this, but it's the crew's attention or whatever was elsewhere. And again we don't know if there was a mechanical situation that was that the crew was battling at the time that might have taken their attention away from some of the critical moments of flight.
Speaker 5: There what we just don't know.
Speaker 4: I do know that my confidence in the National Transportation Safety Board is unbelievably high. And if there's a group of men and women. They're going to be able to find out exactly what happened and give to the Federal Aviation Administration a list of recommendations on how we can make aviation safer.
Speaker 5: They're going to be the ones that do it.
Speaker 4: But as I've told you before, my biggest fear is we're going to discover that this accident was easily.
Speaker 2: And what you're suggesting is the negligence on the part of the helicopter bolet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again it's an incredibly early statement to make, but based on the evidence as we're seeing it now, I mean, it's obvious that the RJ was where it was supposed to be.
Speaker 5: The Americans final exactly where they were supposed to.
Speaker 4: We also can say that the helicopter crew was not where they were supposed to. Now, again, that may be negligence, it may be mechanical, it may be again the medical episode involving one of the pilots that caused.
Speaker 5: That altitude deviation to take place. We don't know.
Speaker 4: But far too often in the history of aviation, when you look at the decades and decades of as accidents near accidents, the human element tends to come into play, and almost all of them. It may not be the cause, but it's a contributing cause many many times. And that's why a lot of these well meaning individuals will say, Jay, that's why we need to have airplanes with no pilots, because then we can avoid these mistakes from being made and make aviation safer.
Speaker 5: And of course I don't agree with that at all.
Speaker 4: But it is sad that there's always that human element that seems to be there, which is why, you know, you've always heard me say before this that we were in going the safest there ever of commercial jet travel, but we had to be incredibly vigilant to make sure that that continued to be the case, because we get sloppy. Human nature is just that we get complacent, we get a little sloppy, and as a result, mistakes can take place. And you know, we've already seen the FAA shut down that corridor for the helicopter traffic there at the Regae National Airport, which is good and that'll probably.
Speaker 5: Be prom in it, but I suspect that we're going to also see.
Speaker 4: Some other recommendations that are going to be made, and then, of course, you know, one of the things that just drives me out of my mind is that the NTSB may give the FAA fifteen different points, and the FAA may implement one, maybe two. It's not a stamp approval as you do all of them, because many times the airline industry and their lobbying group and others can apply a little pressure saying no, we don't want to do this, this, and this, because it would cost too much more money, and then it would cause a raise. We would have to raise fares, and then that would be really bad for the consumers. Let's not do that. That kind of garbage. And where safety then becomes a you know, a negotiating type of thing, it's just, oh, so, well, you know, that's where we are in as far as the DC the DC.
Speaker 2: Craft, and we'll get to the Philly crasher when we come back. But the bottom line is, I just can't for the life we figure out how in the hell it is that it was in any way, shape or form the right thing to do to allow a military helicopter to fly right there indirect on a final approach path. Is there really a need to do that? You can't just deviate a mile right or left and go around that congested area.
Speaker 4: Whatever, Well, we keep most We keep most of them. They keep them within the confines of the river, if you will, going up and down through there. So that's their corridor. And I mean there's nothing but military aircraft up there.
Speaker 5: Uh, They're everywhere.
Speaker 4: And there's always been this this you know, combination, this influx of both commerci and military aircraft. Normally, even though there's occasionally where you have one that'll have to deviate and go around or approach differently or cancel of takeoff, it happens, but that happens at every airport. Most of the time, this operates exactly as it's supposed to. In this case, it didn't, and it with horrific.
Speaker 1: Consequences, absolutely horrific.
Speaker 2: Speaking horrific, the Philly crash, we'll talk about that, plus a couple got sued by an airline costs a lot of money. We'll also talk about Elon Musk ready to make some technical upgrades air traffic control much needed, apparently more with Jay Ratliffe coming up next, Don't Go.
Speaker 3: Away fifty five KRC run a business and not thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Continuing our conversation every Thursday for a few segments with Jay Ratliff, which I truly appreciate any my listeners enjoy hearing from you as well. Jay, Moving away from the DC crash over to Philly crash, the one thing I heard it was suggested is that there was a weight shift which caused the plane to stop any further developments beyond that speculation that was initially raised.
Speaker 4: Now that was that's still pretty much something that's being looked at as probable. And I think the reason that we so many of us went in that direction early was the video of that aircraft coming out of the sky. If that airplane takes off, loses its engines, it becomes a glider. So at fifteen hundred feet you've got x amount of distance before that airplane has to come down.
Speaker 5: But it's a controlled descent.
Speaker 4: This airplane just fell out of the sky, which means either structurally something came off the aircraft disrupting the lift and down it came with the pilots not having an ability to control it, or something happened to that center of gravity that shifted at a critical moment, And of course weight and balance being everything on an aircraft. If you've got an airplane at that critical moment that's taking off and you've got a sudden and unexpected shift of gravity in that aircraft. What could take place is it could actually cause the airplane to change its inclination to the air over the wing then gets disrupted. The lift is no longer there, and the airplane goes into a stall.
Speaker 1: It just falls like it falls like a dead weight out of the sky. Then it does.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 4: And if you were you know, altitude twenty thirty thousand feet, no problem. You just point the nose down, you build up the speed, and the airflow over the wings re zumed, lift is restored and off you go. But if you're fifteen hundred feet Brian, there's nothing you can do. And some of the most horrific if you YouTube searched, there's a seven forty seven the cargo plane that was taking off that had that exact same thing happen, and it's a horrific video to watch. But the airplane takes off and it has that shift of gravity where the cargo came loose, and you can see the moment at a very low altitude that that aircraft the crew lost complete control and that airplane just falls right out of the sky. But that's why everything is strapped down. Everything is it just it's there's just no room.
Speaker 1: For air No, and you know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: You are also pointing out the importance of the folks that load the plane, you know, the common laborer who are putting things in the cargo bay of the plane. They are critical the life saving saving lives on that, whether it's the crew or the entire list of passengers. That it's just an amazing reality that a shifting weight in the bottom of the airplane could just make it drop like a rock.
Speaker 4: If it's significant in size, yes, if you know, if you've got six bags rolling around, that's not gonna be an issue. But if you've got something of substantial weight that shifts quickly from one side to the next, yeah, it's going to be something that could just caut some some big time problems for the flight crew. And sadly, if it's a little altitude, there's nothing that they can do about it. And that crew knew that there was nothing they could do about it. And I tell you it's just when you look at you know, aviation and things. That's one of the reasons that weight and balance is so critical, where everything is measured and weighed so that we know wait wise, how much fuel, how much cargo, which part of the aircraft it's in, how many passengers are. And that's why sometimes when you are on a flight that maybe isn't full, you'll have the pass the flight tends come back and say, hey, we need you six people to move to the back of the airplane, or we need you to come over here. And what they're doing is at the pilot's instruction, distributing that weight a little bit better throughout the cabin right so that it's going to make it easier for the crew to maintain control of the flight. So yeah, if you're ever asked to move, please please don't throw a fIF Please please don't throw fIF You.
Speaker 2: Know what, you're doing absolutely nothing today to make me want to fly. I know this is you and you say flight it's all safe and compared to being in a car and all that.
Speaker 1: I get it. I know the statistics, but jeez, little wise, the smallest like.
Speaker 4: Going outside and getting struck by lightning twice in the same day, twice in the same day. So I mean that's you know, I will go out and get on an airplane. I'll put my kids, my grandkids, my wife, my mom, I mean without hesitation, but when I recognize here in the United States we do it better than anybody on the planet, and there's a lot of things we can do better, and we will, but you know, it's I'm just I'm just thrilled that we have this dedication to safety as we have here in the United States, because the mechanics, the pilots, the training, the way the aircraft are built to the NTSB, even the FAA oversight. You know, many times I'll give them the credit that they deserve. It's a large group of people that do an incredible job daily to keep all of us safe. And you know, when there's a breakdown, it can be costly, and it's one of the reasons you've just got to stay super.
Speaker 2: Vigilant, no question about it. Can we stick around? We paused from Rome and come we need to talk about these other two. We got two more cop topics we talk about, plus a hub delay update from Jay Ratlift.
Speaker 1: Stick around at eight forty six fifty five KRC. There are two types of pain in the world. One more time with the Channeline weather.
Speaker 2: We got clouds until around one o'clock when we get the sun back fifty five for the high today, clouds over night thirty tomorrow mostly sunny. Sky's forty two thirty three every night with clouds and rain in the daytime. On Saturday, high in the mid fifties. We're closing out of forty four degrees and one more time for traffic from.
Speaker 1: The UCL Tramphic Center.
Speaker 3: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts that you see health for innovative and personalized hardcare.
Speaker 1: Expect more at uc health dot com.
Speaker 3: They've opened up the right lane on westbound for Washington Way that's helping traffic Office seventy one into downtown. Looks like things are still blocked off on inbound Columbia Parkway at Third Street southbound seventy five. There's a record aser Charles Center by ains packing traffic to seventy four. Chut Kingbram Moon fifty five krsc HE Talks station, Hey.
Speaker 2: Fifty you think about CAIRCD talk station Happy Thursday too and tomorrow at six thirty am with Tech Friday's Dave Hatter. In the meantime, one more time with I heartb the Aviation next for Jay Ratliffe ninety thousand, dollars.
Speaker 1: What happened, Well, we.
Speaker 4: Had a couple on an Avianca flight and they got to fight this couple and as a result, the man throws the phone at his wife and it hits the wall and overheats and starts to catch fire. So now the crew has to decide to go back and land because of the smoldering fire that they have on board the aircraft. Well, the aircraft is too heavy to land. It's not yet a critical situation, so they decide to burn off the fuel for three hours and then land the airplane so that a the passengers that were disrupted can be removed, the damage to the inside of the aircraft can be rep aired, and then they can take care of the rest of the customers. The airline decided to sue this couple for ninety thousand dollars in part for the damage to the aircraft the fuel that they had to expend trying to land after the event took place, because you can land too heavy, and you don't want to do that if you don't have to unless it's a dire emergency situation. And yeah, the thought processes. If you find these individuals enough, Brian, maybe it'll help future behavior. I doubt it, but you know, at least you hope that's going to be the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question about it. Cautionary tale, right, get the load.
Speaker 4: I told you, these are the people that you put their pictures in the TSA area anytime that you've got that long screening line where every so often their picture pops up with the dollar amount underneath they were fined exact. It reminds people constantly, and you know that there are consequences, and we're seeing more airlines do that, especially on diverted flights, and I'm glad to see it because you're inconveniencing everybody on that airplane and everybody that's waiting on that airplane at the next stop that's going to be canceled as well.
Speaker 2: The fact that people are so oblivious to the concerns and and and the needs of other people. It's just it's obviously a growing phenomenon. People are very, very selfish and don't care about other people. All right, Elon Musk, is he going to fix it? We had a real problem with air traffic control shortage of them. That's one of the things that they said was could have been a problem in DC, but I saw the other day. I guess two aircraft ran into each other on the runway on Wednesday, a Japanese airliner and I guess some delta flight. But that's an air traffic control issue, I would imagine, So what's going on and what do we need to fix?
Speaker 1: Jay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on that way was a delta flight was being deced and you know the japan Airlines plane taxing by and think nailed it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Pretty easy to tell who's at fault there, yep, because only one of the two airplanes were moving. But you know, Elon Musk is a very it kind of guy, and I would pay I would have paid money to have walked with him as he's been given the tour of the Federal Alleviation Administration. Air traffic control says where they're relying on some of this equipment and technology that it goes back seventy years.
Speaker 1: They're still using a giant floppy discs.
Speaker 5: I heard, Well they are.
Speaker 4: There's so many things that have to be upgraded, and it would be like, I don't know, I can't even think of the comparison. But for somebody like him and even President Trump and others that are saying, look this is so far past being done here. We've got to get this fixed. And other administrations have made a similar assessment, but nothing ever seems to get done. And one of the frustrations of air traffic control is that these controllers have to work with a lot of this antiquated equipment, and I'll say that from a retention standpoint, it makes their job as controllers more stressful, harder to do. And you want to do everything you can to keep these men and women sticking around for a while. Let's give them state of the art equipment to you, so let's make their job easier. Let's let's make aviation safer so that we can do everything that we want to do. As far as protecting everybody who flies, there's no way that you can have two two and a half million people fly every day, and I consider that a priority. But Brian, the problem has been over the last several decades, we found a way to make it work. So in the eyes of the people that spend money in Washington, DC, why spend hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars on this and then a like number here and hundreds of million because it's working now, so we can use that money elsewhere, and they do. And it's really unfortunate because we are so far behind.
Speaker 5: It's going to take a.
Speaker 4: Administration or two to get us caught up. But hopefully Trump can get us pointed in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Well, one can only hope, and thinking of a day hat or hope they keep security in mind. If they're upgrading the air traffic control system by way of keeping it from being able to be hacked, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Well that that that for sure. But I just can't wait to see the left go nuts. I mean, if he makes aviation safer, you know they're going to complain and it's.
Speaker 5: Like, it's just a lucy But that's what's how.
Speaker 4: Dare you make it safer for me to fly? I'm so glad I didn't vote for you. Yeah, it's just it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely ridiculous. All right, let's conclude, as we always do, Hub delays. What's it like out there to be.
Speaker 4: Up hair only everything to the northeast. I mean, it's nuts. We've got ice, we've got uh wind, we've got snow, limited visibility, we've got everything from Charlotte towards the northeast, New York, Philadelphia d C Boston getting absolutely hammerd today. Some canceled flights, a lot of delayed flights. It's gonna be with us the entire day, hopefully better by tomorrow. But if you're flying tomorrow morning, some of the originating flights may not make it to where you need to be, So tomorrow morning slights are going to be impacted as well. So for the next twenty four to thirty six hours, this storm going through the Northeast is really gonna hammer operations across the country. So if you're headed towards the Northeast, just take an extra dissipation. It's gonna be a slow go.
Speaker 2: Jay Ratliff, I enjoy the conversation every week. I can't thank you know for spending time with my listeners and me. God bless you, sir and your better half. We'll talk next Thursday.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to it. In one of these days, Lord Willing, I'm anxious to join you on one of those luncheons when I can.
Speaker 5: It's it's hard for.
Speaker 4: Me with my training to do it, but believe me, brother, I'm gonna work hard to make that happen.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, and I'll just keep my fingers crossed. That day happen sooner rather than later, but anytime is a great time. Thank you brother. We'll talk again next Thursday eight fifty six. Folks, you didn't get a chance to listen down with the Neil Americans for Prosperity and the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. You can help out. We need that reinstated. Mark Meckler Convention of States sounds like a pretty good idea for me. And of course the conversation we just ended with Jay Ratliff. If I have Casey dot com, you try to heart meet God. Bless you Joe Strecker for producing the program. Folks, have a great day. Tuning in tomorrow for Tech Friday, and don't go wegg Glenbeck's next a.
Speaker 1: Full rundown and the biggest head lines just minutes away. At the top of the hour, I'm giving you a fact now the Americans should know. Fifty five krs the talk station. This report is sponsored