Speaker 1: Welcome to Hanwy Tagalog Sermon Podcast, your daily dose of inspiring, heartfelt Tagalog sermons from different pastors and speakers all over the Philippines. We hope that this podcast finds you in good shape. And now here's your message.
Speaker 2: Our Bible. Hold it up. We're going to declare who we are. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Let's do it. This is my Bible. It is the standard I live my life by. I am a spirit filled believer, sustained by my personal relationship with the Lord, empowered by my commitment to community and express throughout reach to others. Therefore, I can say and uh, all right, hey, turn your bulletin over. We're going to complete this segment of the Blessed Life. We've been looking at life in our home. We're going to complete that today. What have we talked about, Well, we started this about a month ago with aim for restoration, and we had different ones participate actually shooting their bows up here, and they did a great job hitting the target.
Speaker 2: So you've got to aim at it. Are you with me?
Speaker 1: It's not something you just stumble until you've got to aim. And then Pastor Mike where one of our overseers. He and his wife Jeannie were here and they did an excellent job.
Speaker 2: And Mike with his humor, they spoke.
Speaker 1: Then we looked at communication, we looked at commitment. So those are other subjects. The message from last week will be on the app later today. If you've been looking for that. Now where we headed. Let me give you some just direction of what's going on. On Wednesday nights, we have all our discipleship classes and it's a lot of fun. So if you're not here, have it. Come on Wednesday, come check out a class. There's options for you. Next week is Mother's Day and I know the ladies and the team. They've been working on all kinds of things to give out, from scripture to candy. How about that, ladies chocolate? Yeah, chocolate, Miss Charling and Skittles. So what did the guys get?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Okay, Father's Day. It's gonna be a fun day.
Speaker 1: So all the ladies, it doesn't matter if your mother not, Every lady, every little girl in the house is going to be honored. Now write this date down, the sixteenth, that's a week from this Wednesday. I'm going to bring some friends in from Ohio, some dear friends, Pat and Jackie Murray, We've been real good friends now for about twelve years I think, and we participate in significant church working on that. So we're together several times a year. Awesome family. Just they live the life. They're the real deal. And about seven eight years ago, they were in a really severe accident where they both should have been killed. Okay, he ended up with his back broken in this. He was supposed to never walk again. She had brain trauma and she's an argan donor, and they kept the coolers by her bed to harvest her argans because the doctor said she wouldn't live well. Jesus visited them both in separate rooms and healed her. Bam touched her. He visited her, and she'll share some of the things the Lord actually told her. Touched him, and I mean they put all these rods and stuff in his back to try to help. Touched him. We're going to go cycling together on Thursday. Okay, he stands straight. It's like when you look at him, the picture of health. So remember the scripture revelation. The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. What Jesus did for them he wants to do again. So if you need a touch in your body. You know someone that does. Bring them here? Get over all the other stuff. Why don't someone to know of this, Get over all that phony baloney. I need touches from I'm come normally pray time I'm down here. I want someone to pray with me. We all have need.
Speaker 2: Are you with me?
Speaker 1: So come and they're gonna tell their story. We're gonna bring all the classes together. We're trying to do an awakening service every three months. They're gonna tell this story. Then I'm gonna let them lay hands on people and pray for people. They have great compassion, and so it's gonna be on the sixteenth. This is gonna be a fun, fun night.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: And then on the twentieth, two weeks from today. I've asked Angela Mentor and her husband Pornell to come and share. It just worked out that Sunday works for them. Angela runs the only pro life organization in our state that really ministers at the one abortion clinic that's left. Now, please hear my heart on this. Okay, If anyone has had an abortion, God's a healer and he heals you. And then but I'm telling you, listen to me. We can pray for revival. We can pray for awakening, but until the children are stopped being sacrificed on the altar of bail, it's not coming. Did you hear me, It's not coming. So we have to pray for this to stop. I know there's still illegal things that would take place, but if we're legally killing children, I don't know if you realize the awfulness of it. And I worked down there at this clinic last year for a week with Angeline different ones, so her testimony is powerful, very eloquent when she speaks, We participate in her banquets and so forth. I want you to watch this little video so you can kind of see what they do in the spirit of excellence that she does day with a team of ladies down at that abortion meal.
Speaker 3: And they don't wanna hear anything you have to say, and so we really have to be empathic listeners and enter into their world to really try to see what they are dealing with. The mission of Sisters for Life is to act as an advocate for the preborn babies and their mothers and fathers to find themselves faced with the crisis or unplanned pregnancy. We do side while counseling Tuesday through Saturday, and we make sure that women and men that come into that abortion mill at the MW understand that they do UH have another choice available to them, and that the Lord loves them, and that He's got a plan and purpose UH for their life and for their baby's life, and that there's much help available. And in addition to them that we are called by God to advocate for godly family values. We believe that God had it right and he said marriage he p is between a man and a woman, and UH that parents are to raise their children and the fear and the admonition of the Lord. And so our goal with Sisters for Life is to make sure that we do our part and sin that families are able to carry out that eternal plant. We are called to carry out our mission by raising the awareness of the effect that abortion is having UH on the community as a whole, on the country as a whole, but the African American community in particular. And so one of the ways that we do that is through our weekly radio broadcast. When you think of the UH over three thousand babies that are killed UH every day every day UH through abortion on the altar of choice and inconvenience, and how many people that are not talking about that particular issue and have no idea that that's even happening. So we have a responsibility to share that information. The African American community is being ravaged by abortion and people aren't talking about or we're being that voice. You know, somebody's got to say. You know, the truth of God's word has not changed. Laws have changed, but the truth of God's word has not changed. God has raised up Sisters for Life as the only organized black pro life organization in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, to be a voice to speak up for the pre one babies, to speak up for the mothers and the fathers, but to also speak up for the Black community, and to say we need to stop killing our babies. We have to stop killing our babies. Sisters for Life exist because God has called us to this work. He wants us to let these mothers know that He loves them. He loves their babies. That's why he gave the son Jesus, and we believe it. As we helped them, the mothers and their babies, we will see the glory of God manifest.
Speaker 1: And the saved is profound when you hear her testimony, she and her husband and how they got saved and the journey they had to go through because she's had two abortions. That was before she knew the Lord, even though it was wrong. And she is changing the complexion of Louisville by the stand she's making. Everybody wants to use the Lord. But I tell you what, this is a real battle. Now. I want you to know that's a hero of mine. Did you hear me? That is a hero. No, they're not throwing a ball or catching or this or that. But someone she sent me a text other she said, brother, Mark, we just saved two babies, you know, And it just brings tears to my eyes because this must be addressed. If we're going to have a move of God. Now we can do all the other things. Well, I wish this would happen, This would happen, this change wish. That's all fine, And we can use all our time just moving the chest pieces around of how we want God to do things or what she would do it this way. But until we get onto the heartbeat of God, do you hear me? Church?
Speaker 2: Please the heartbeat of God.
Speaker 1: He hates the shedding of innocent blood, the blessing of God will not fully fall now. The prayers of the saints and the sacrifices that people are making now is what's sustaining God's judgment.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: What if Kentucky would be the first abortion for his state, I think, yeah, come on, yeah, And I'm not making light of any of the circumstances that led to that pregnancy and all that we understand. It's complicated. But until they know there are other options, because that is a child, as a quote by Ronald Reagan said, he said, appears to me the only ones that are for abortioned have already been born. If you were in the womb, you would not before abortion. That's simple. And so God has a plan and he wants to do something great a Kentucky. Well, these are things. Look when I'm here on Monday morning, that's what I'm praying for. Yes, I'm praying for each one of our bobos and hiccups, but I'm praying for the things that would cause God to move in our state. Would you come pray with me on Mondays. It's a labor, it's not easy, but this is the stuff that's absolutely necessary. If we're going to see God move, Amen, So bring friends, bring people. It'll be a powerful testimony full of compassion and truth as she shares. I know it took time with that, but I wanted to see that. And then on the twenty seventh, which would be three weeks from today, we're gonna take the Blessed Life and I'm gonna take about four weeks, maybe a little bit more, but I'm going to share on I can hear, you can hear the voice of God, and you can't have a blessed life if you're not hearing on a consistent basis. And normally what you hear things He wants to do in you and change, Amen, are people to love or reach out to normally it's changed or he wants to move through you. Those two things. So we're gonna look at that and we're gonna take a month or more. All right, let's complete this by talking about the upcoming generation. Amen, talking about the home, which is anyone younger than you, that's the next generation, anyone younger than you. How do we.
Speaker 2: Build the upcoming generation?
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna share some things that we implemented in our home or with our children that we learned from our mentors who we still talk to. You know, even though you've got grown children, you're never finished, are you with me? So we still talk with them. What can we all of us do to raise a supernatural generation where you are impacting and giving life and hope and love and direction to the next generation and it causes them to meet Listen, more connected to Christ than the culture?
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So we have to pass our test. Yes, where we're more connected to Christ than the culture. And sometimes the culture is offense, sometimes the culture is greed or selfishness. That we have to pass that test so we can help the next generation pass their test. Because it's never about you, It's always about the next generation. As we say, culture is strong, it's pull on children, the ones you want to impart life to. And it does that matter if it's your children, grandchildren, children you're mentoring, nieces, nephews, children, you work with a neighbor's kids. All of us have people.
Speaker 2: That we can connect to that are younger than us. Amen. And we're not helpless, we're not powerless.
Speaker 1: We have the spirit of God, we have the Word of God, We've got the wisdom of God. If any of you lack the wisdom, let him ask of God. He gives liberally. James tells us, So the goal today, let's build to culture in our home or workplace, or school or wherever you're able to connect and listen, connect intentionally. You, as the older generation, connect intentionally. I need help, folks, I said, you connect intentionally to them and let the culture in your life because of the walk you have be stronger than the culture of the world. Proverbs twenty two six. The NIV I love the way, it says, is st our children off on the way they should go, and even when they're old, they will not turn from it the way they should go. We know the Bible is true. So why is it then that the majority of children raised with God centered environment turn away as adults. We're going to a dress some of that today. My research shows this. Brother Greg has talked about it and so forth. But is listen this agrees me. As much as eighty eight percent of children raised in some form of godly environment turned from God in their young adulthood.
Speaker 2: Now that's staggering.
Speaker 1: Listen, if fear wants to grip my heart, that's what it is right there that your children, your grandchildren, your nieces, your nephews, the young people you work with as they grow up, would want to turn from God? Why is that? And I think we should do something about it? How many want to make sure that your kids, your grandkids, all of that group that you love is not part of that statistic?
Speaker 2: Amen?
Speaker 1: Okay, so don't give up. What can we do? How do we woo their heart back? Culture is sneak, sneaky, sneaky. Let's turn the light on this morning, because culture is like candy with poison in it.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna ask five questions there. They are, don't go too far ahead, don't jump and run through it too fast. I have it all there for you. But let's look at this. If you're married, talk about it with your spouse and so forth. Okay, these questions will help you have a gauge on the culture and see which culture is stronger in your home, or in your workplace, or with grandkids or whatever the people you're wanting to influence. For Christ, you can't control necessarily the culture out there, right, You can't control everything at school and so forth, But you can control number one, how much of that culture affects you? First, and then how much of it is in the environment where you're affecting the younger generation. And again, the younger generation is anybody younger than you.
Speaker 2: Amen, All right, here we go. Number one.
Speaker 1: Am I parenting or if you want to use the word mentoring or sewing or impacting whatever? Am I parenting by convenience? Let's talk about it. I know all of the technology we have available is great. I meant two year olds know how to operate it.
Speaker 2: Yep, they really do.
Speaker 1: So what we can do is give them a device, a video and a lot of sugar and put them in a corner because we've got a lot to do.
Speaker 2: We've done it.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's all be honest. We have a lot to do and that will hold their attention and we can do all the things we need to do. Then we recharge the battery because the batteries go. Do it right, give them more sugar, and we go do more. It's convenient parenting. The problem is fast forward ten years or more and now it's gotten complicated. And because of all the devices, they spend hours upon hours upon hours with all that, and you want to visit with them and they're like, who in the world are.
Speaker 2: You what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, when they're young, it's really hard to have in depth conversations. It's just fun conversations you have with them. It's a who it's great. But now that they're older and you want to connect better, they don't want to talk. Then, have you noticed that, when they're young, for convenience, we plug their life flow merely into technology, And now that flow is so thick, it's their oxygen. Technology is their oxygen. They have to have it to survive, at least they think they have to have it. I may mention this, but it bears repeating right here, but I can't remember now for sure. Five years ago, seven years ago, I went back to Poland to do two camps one summer for churches that I administered at. And when I did the leader mandate with John Maxwell, so a couple of the Spearfield pastors we got real close and they asked me to come. They planned it back to back where I went to their camps, and it was so astonishing but yet alarming to come back here.
Speaker 2: What these churches do.
Speaker 1: They're smaller churches, but most of the people would try to plan their vacation together and they would go away to another city and rent a facility that would have swimming and outdoor activities in the meeting room and we would be together and do all the games and different teachings and worship times.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 1: And as I watched the families or watched the people, the teenagers are all helping with the little ones and the parents or grandparents, everybody was together. They were together. I guess that's proper English. Everybody they were having a blast. No one was on their phone. Maybe they had banned them for the time, I don't know. A couple of times some of the business guys at a certain point in afternoon had to leave go to their laptop to check things at the office, and they close it and put it all away, everybody. And I'm thinking, this is how it was when I grew up in the seventies. This is what we did. We would go to camps like this and here speakers and swim and I going, oh my now, Jeanette, and I'll be going back to Poland this summer to do something similar, and I'm very anxious to see what I'm going to find if more of the Western culture has invaded that whole environment. But it was a wonderful atmosphere. Yeah, very healthy. Now are all devices wrong? No, I just suggest moderation.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Great tools out there, there's great teaching tools you can use.
Speaker 2: With the wonderful.
Speaker 1: When I were young, I listen, you know what I had to actually read to my kids?
Speaker 2: Try it parents.
Speaker 1: I remember a few times because of I'm multitask or at least you know, I try to be and I'm trying to do my multitask and be the parent at the same time. And they're young, and I remember them at different times grabbing my face with their little hands and pulling me to them, like, are you going to be a father right now? Am I really important to you? I don't know if you ever had one of yours to do that to you. I've had them do it to me. That's when I developed the saying and write it down if you want to run with it. This is my little saying. Wherever you are, be all there. Wherever you are, be all there. Issues can rob your tension, parents, grandparents, work related problems, stress. But convenient parenting does not work a child, no matter how young, they can read your heart focus. Am I parenting mentoring by convenience? Convenient parenting can brainwash kids and push them away. Number two, do I have a culture or a cultural dashboard from my home?
Speaker 2: Okay? What is that?
Speaker 1: Who would ever go driving down the interstate? Like if you try to go to Lexington right now in seventy five, it's pretty chaotic. How many have done that lately? I mean when you get up to Mount Vernon and all the construction. But if you're on the interstate, you're constantly monitoring your gauges, your fuel, if you have a leadfoot, you're constantly monitoring your speed. And everyone says, all right, so nurturing things with your dashboard? What if you had a dashboard for every way culture? Listen, culture could come into your home, are coming to the lives of the ones you're wanting to help, because listen, you never stop. It's not they're grown, they're gone. No, if you do that, you've just said I don't care. That's good, okay, everybody whatever, it's always there, always, I said, always, and remember it's back to us as adults seeing that responsibility for that next generation.
Speaker 2: Always it's good.
Speaker 1: But what if you had a gauge for TV and music and internet and friends. I'm talking about being a mentor, a parent, a grandparent to the younger generation in the twenty first century. We can't go through all the gauges, but here's just a few of them. Television. How many TV do you have in your house? Do you even know? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That work? Yeah, I meant. Pastor.
Speaker 1: Donna and I were talking. When we grew up in Louisiana, we only had two channels and we had an old black and white TV that you know, everything was scratchy on the screen. How many members though? You might still have that TV, you know. But and then when we're in high school, we got a third channel. Man, we thought we were big time. Three channels. Well, well, Pastor, we can afford a TV for their room. Well, there's a lot of things. Maybe you can afford. It doesn't mean you should do it. You can afford crack for the room, But you don't want to go get cracked for them, right just because you can afford it, is it a good reason? Do you know what's coming in? When you give them technology? You're not just giving them that technology, You're giving them a pipeline and it can be a cessful of problems. Not saying I'll technology is bad. You just need gauges years back when I was We're still all at home and our two oldest were teenagers. Still Michael would have been a lot younger. For a vacation. One summer, we went to this very remote spot on a lake, to a very rundown cabin. As far as I was concerned, Jeanette loved it. It was nice. She loved it. I mean there was no TV, and that's fine. There was just it was no sale service, but beautiful lake. And we had a boat, a paddle boat so we could go fishing. We had our bicycles and we'd hike and at night we put puzzles together and we play games. And my kids still talk about that as their favorite vacation, and so does my wife. It was fun. I'm just trying to say, we had no technology. How about gauge from music? What do they have downloaded on their devices? Do you even know? Now?
Speaker 2: Years ago, ten years ago whatever.
Speaker 1: You could see the CD, you could see the album, you could see the cassette or whatever. Now it's all on their devices. Most of us don't even know how to put it on our devices.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, pay you kids, and they'll show you. Then you can see what they've got.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I know we were cruel parents, but you know, our two oldest didn't get a cell phone till they went to college.
Speaker 2: We do that on purpose and they survived.
Speaker 1: Now, our youngest, because he had his own business in the ninth grade, I was not going to be his business manager to you know, do all that for his lawnmowing, So he got a cell phone a little bit younger. When you're together I meant like together at the table or the card, do you allow to earbud?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: That's good. Make a decision. See, look, are you a media centered family or relationship centered family? Does everything we do revolve around some media? And that will decide what you invest in and spend time doing. Oh, brother, Mark, can one bad song really mess up my child? Yep, yes it can. I'm not against all secular music.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm at home on the range. Happy Birthday. Those are two really good ones. Okay, those are two good ones. What am I saying? Check the lyrics out? Check them out? Gauges computers. How many people have been listen hooked on pornography by pop ups that they weren't going there, but it popped up and all of a sudden, the iGATE.
Speaker 2: And before you know what, they're hooked.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: That's what me entering is about. That's what being a grandparent is about. That's what being a parent is about. If you stepped up to it, do it in Jesus name, st when they're young, not when it's suddenly a huge issue when someone shows up and says, here's a kid, my team, can you fix them? Well, God can do anything, but if you start when you're little, it sure is a lot easier. That's why like vacation, Bible school, Wednesday nights for youth and the children listen, it's not just little busy handcraft activity of pouring into your kids so that it's reinforcing the values that you've established. Amen, here go number three very important. Who owns their heart? Now I'm talking about relationally. Now, when they're young, they never stop talking. Maybe you're in that stage with children and grandchildren right now. Suddenly, bamp, one day they stop talking. They just do and suddenly they stopped. But then they want to and you better be ready when they're wanting to talk. When they're young, you own their hearts. Listen, they think you have never sinned. They think you have eyes in the back of your head. Come on, isn't it right? Then you're around seven, eight nine whatever age Johnny gets to watch this on TV. Why can't I watch this? Votes that, miss Menda, You're not Johnny.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Here, But okay, listen, get this. They're starting to care more about connecting with their peers. They care more about their peers liking them than you liking them. You have to like them. You're the parent, you're the grandparent, you're the aunt and uncle. They have to work hard to get their peers to like them. I'm just trying to show you what's going on. There's a lot you can do. So peers are pulling them away relationally, then ten eleven, twelve whatever they say, I saw this movie. How come I can't say that? How come I can't wear that? So now you have the culture pulling on them. So culture's pulling on them, friends are pulling on them. So we react and I've done it. As long as you're living this house, every way you're gonna do it. And that's not bad necessarily As for me and my house, we will serve the lore, but doing it in anger and just reactionary ways is not going to work.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then some parents go the other extreme and so shelter their children from everything that they're not progressing so that they learn how to be.
Speaker 2: Light in a dark world.
Speaker 1: Now, you've got to know the right maturity and the right steps on how to allow them to interact with the lost and the world and those things so that then they come home and talk about it. But if you don't begin to make some type of transition, you send them out and it's tough. It's tough on them, and many of them can fall away because they don't know how to stand. They do not know how to be Like bro Mark, there's a lot of work. Yep, it's a lot of it's a lot of faith, it's a lot of interaction, it's a lot of prayer. Okay, you're wanting them to be light. So here's the phrase we used, we use We've used it for years. Take it, run with it, adopt it, hold on to it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: If you find friends are culture pulling that one you love that you care for a way, lean into the relationship. Everybody say lean into the relationship. Oh, Okay, that means spend more time with them and create listen, a non confrontational environment where you can begin to talk more and things come up. It's not shoving your finger in their face and using your authority to demand the type of response that you want. Isn't the goal of our parenting to somehow grab a hold of their heart and take the values that you find life giving and so rewarding because of your walk with the Lord Jesus Christ and help them see that so they say, that's the values I choose. Isn't part of our goal so that when they leave home and get this, they need to leave home one day? Okay, they are making listen wise decisions and you're not even telling them how to do it at that point. So lean in, spend more time one on one. It might be awkward for you. You don't know what to do with them or how to relate. You're out doing something with them, and do something.
Speaker 2: They want to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't take them to something you like that they can't stand. But I've seen that before. Brow I'm going to take my child to do this. I'm going your child doesn't want to do that, you want to do that, your grandkid doesn't want to do that. You want to do that something they want to do that they like. Help create an environment where you're just leaning in. Okay, Scripture James one, verse nineteen. And this is where it takes a lot of faith, a lot of wisdom and insight. Okay, are dear brothers and sisters take note of this everyone, everybody, especially if you want to affect the next generation. Everyone should be quick to listen, say the next thing with me, slow to speak, and slow to what. So lean in and listen. You know you're doing something, Hey, how you doing? They're gonna say, okay, it's not even okay, fine, okay are they texting the answer? Yeah? Everything good, everything all right? You know, just keep leaning. Eventually the real conversation will happen. It's an issue at school. A friend has betrayed them because people will portray you.
Speaker 2: They will. They'll do that too you as an adult.
Speaker 1: They'll do it too.
Speaker 2: Children.
Speaker 1: What is that when they start, they're now leaning back? See you lean in, extra time, extra fun, extra money. Yeah, you're right, and suddenly they lean back. When we spend time listening, it pulls down all the defense walls. And once they lean back, sharing their heart, you have a delicate moment to lean in more in a loving directive way. Don't jump to this. If you do that, listen, they might be nice and just smile at you and there thinking you are an idiot.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work, okay, But if.
Speaker 1: They lean in when you're leaning towards them, you now have the authority in their life. Well, I'm the parent, I've got the authority.
Speaker 2: Well you no, you don't. You might.
Speaker 1: Need that authority. You might declare you have that authority. Whoever owns their heart as the authority they're going to listen to somebody you a drug dealer, a rebellious friend. And you, as the older generation, the parent, the grandparent, the aunt, the uncle, the mentor, the friend, the cousin, whatever, have a much greater advantage because you have the power of the Holy Spirit. You have the truth of the Word of God. You have time, and God's going to give you wisdom. I said, He's going to give you wisdom.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Time is investing with experiences. Just buying stuff is shallow. Remember, whoever owns their heart has the most authority in their life. And if you just react and yell and culture owns their heart or appeers on their heart. All your efforts are futile, and it just it's like water off a ducts. Back number four, am I going through the windows of the heart. Now this one you have to be just ready for. Okay, it happens so quickly. Sounds like Malachi.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Last verse in the Old Testament there in your notes, he will turn the hearts of the parents of their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents.
Speaker 2: If not meant, the whole earth is going to be striked.
Speaker 1: With a curse. This part is very, very important. A window opens and you don't know when that window is going to open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually at night.
Speaker 1: Okay, the window opens and it closes. I'm talking about for their heart. It opens. And you've got Lord, help me to recognize when windows open. Help me recognize those moments. You've got to be ready once it closes. You're not going to pry open. I said, you're not going to open. So these windows open when you least expect it, and it is the most inconvenient always. Now, Jeanette and I'm thinking about a story now with Jonathan years ago.
Speaker 2: We hardly ever watch a movie. It just doesn't work.
Speaker 1: You know, something interrupts and it was this is years back, and so we're watching a movie. It was a good movie on television and this is before you you know, recorded things, what do you call it VVR? And it wasn't a DVD or anything. This was on TV. So if you missed it, you missed it, right. So, I mean it's the last five minutes of the movie. I mean the crescendo. You're getting ready to find out the whole outcome. And Jonathan walked in. He's probably about fourteen to fifteen years old, and he stood right in front of the TV.
Speaker 2: You're looking at us alone.
Speaker 1: What she never does? So I looked at Jeanette and she looked at me. We turned the TV off. We never found out how that movie ended. By the way, it had been easy to say, well, move that the way way way, wait just a minute. If we'd done that, guess what.
Speaker 2: It were closed.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what the issue was or whatever. It's just we had a moment and we knew we had to take advantage of it, so.
Speaker 2: Get ready.
Speaker 1: I would try to read age appropriate Bible studies every night. I mean from when they were a little bitty up, I mean when they're one years old. You just there's just some pictures and it's real fast. Are you're with me? But probably about five nights a week. Obviously sometimes you're going to miss it. Things come up, but I would cover that. And it was a workout. I said, it was a workout to get them still, get them quiet, or doing different ones with different ages, getting them up in our bed or they're bed and that, and then praying and Jeanette had a little prayers she did with them, just fun stuff that we would do. I said, it was a workout. But you do it and stay consistent. So then you're shutting the door to their room. And it's not all the time, but because you continue doing that, then you hear daddy, is there really a God? And you open the door, shutting the door. MoMA, I had a fight with a friend at school today.
Speaker 2: Go to bed.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it in the morning. So the next morning at breakfast, okay, tell me about school. Oh it's fine. Well wait, you said they had a problem. It'still big deal. So it's fine. You missed it. I said, you missed it. The window closed and you can't open it. At different ages and stages they opening different ways. Look for the windows of their heart. Just go through them, because you can't pick them open, can't make them open later. Number five, how am I communicating my values? This is homework for all of this church, because everyone in here, if you're twenty or older, you're affecting the next generation.
Speaker 2: You need to be You need.
Speaker 1: To be praying for them. You need to work through things and continue. And even when suddenly they're not paying you any attention, you paid them attention anyway. Deal with different people. I had a pastor call me late yesterday from another state that I just befriended. I knew I needed to. He had had a rough time and he was calling me just like I'm his dad. He's younger than me. He's bringing me all up to date, so excited about what God is doing and pray for him for this. And I just cheered him on and I'm helping with some stuff because I've stayed in contact with him even when he wouldn't return a text or call. I knew he was hurting. I knew I needed to keep after him. And that whole family is going to have a home run. I said, they're going to have a home run. But I got well, he texts me, So I'm not gonna take No, it's not about me. It's about them. It's about them, It's about the It's always about the who's them, the next generation, maybe the one that's ignoring you. It's about them, that wayward child. It's about the So how am I communicating my values? Well, it's easy to think, well, they're just going to pick them up, and they do to a certain degree. A lot is caught rather than todd and are saying, it's not original with me this one. You teach what you know, but you impart who you are.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: One of the most thorough research studies on young people, children, teenagers and spirituality fine at the number one most important spiritual influence in a young person's life are the ones they look up to, whether it's the parent they and or uncle, the grandparent, the one that is pouring into them spiritually. That's who they look to. And it's not what you say, it's how you live. It's how you pass your test, and then you communicate that to them. That's what they pick up. So are you living values you want your kids to live? And if something you're doing is tripping you up and keeping you from doing it. It likely can trip your child up to So let's get victory. Adults. Come on, we got to get victory in our life because it's not about us, it's about them.
Speaker 2: So here's some things you can do. Okay.
Speaker 1: Number one, establish a family covenant.
Speaker 2: What in the world is that?
Speaker 1: Well, it's just something very loose, but a family covenant. Now, I did this in our home when my two oldest were teenagers. They were kind of young teenagers at that point, but I was trying for a season. I think we did it for about a year, but I think it was Thursday night. I would just work with them teaching. We went through a book or two, we did some stuff. We had different people live with us at different times during that season, other people. We just kind of would make it a study time on Thursday night, and in that time we wrote a family covenant. It's what's on the inside of us. Scripture says, talk about these.
Speaker 2: Things when you lie down and you get up, and when you're in.
Speaker 1: The city that's doing around the sixty seven. Don't haphazardly, just hope it goes well. So it actually took us about two months.
Speaker 2: To do this.
Speaker 1: Letting the boys add things Michael was still real young, so he didn't really participate with it, but I said, let's think of some words that communicate who we are as a family and what we want to be on the inside. Because they're getting to that age, that competitive age and brothers pushing one another and competing. Come on, families, you know what I'm talking about, all the stuff you deal with. So the words we came up with were love, support, protect, nurture, embrace, minister, sacrifice, and transfer. And then I said, okay, let's just make one sentence for each word. Okay, love, unconditionally love. So when they're fighting, wait wait wait, wait, wait wait wait, we love one another. Support, support each other and reaching their full potential. Just support maybe something they're doing in sports, Just support them. Protect, protect one another by prayer and serving. We're going to pray for one another.
Speaker 2: We're going to.
Speaker 1: Actually serve one another. Nurture, nurture an atmosphere of safety and rest. It's one thing I cannot stand in our home is if it's not rest. I want our home to be a place of rest and peace. Embrace. Not all of them are involved in ministry. I wasn't trying to call them, but I said, embrace the call of God on our family. I didn't want them to resent that. I wanted to embrace it, wanted them to be a part of it. And we always had them connected in something. Minister, minister the life of God to every person we touch. How can you be a minister? How can you encourage that friend, sacrifice, live sacrificially to influence in the home, church, community and world, and then transfer transfer principles of godly character and purpose to family and to those who will follow. So we did that, and we would talk about it that we haven't really talked about it now in years because they've grown and so forth. But I would pull that out, specially in a moment of conflict. You mean, your home has conflicts yet just like yours. It's just it's life. It's not you, oh, praise of Lard. It's not Jeanette. Okay, it's just a lot of testosterum and boys and all the things that go on. And you've had that will and you okay, So just do that number two and then be build covenant friends people. Our children can look up to find people that echo your values. So get them around to hear the echoes of others that have your values. Now, we did this way back when we lived in Louisiana. Just some couples that you know that are even presbyters of ours now in different ones. They were a little bit further in the journey, their children a little bit older, but they carried the same values. And so for when Mike and Genie ware we're here, all of our kids came in on a Saturday each to individually spend time with Mike and jenieware by themselves. Why that's their aunt uncle. Well that's not really what it is to them. It's their aunt uncle because that's who they call sometimes if they need encouragement. Mike and Jeanie contact them and text them and stay in touch with them. Different ones like that Rick Zachary that will be here in the fall, that does mission work all the Lord, It's going to be a wonderful time when Rick comes. I remember one time he planned a whole trip where he could go through Dallas and spend time with Andrew when Andrew was their Bible school, spent a whole day with him. I want to go see Andrew and spend time with him. These are people that still do those things, still speak into their life today, because you're never finished. So adults mentors people of concern purposely lean in. Lena close with a scenario. Let's say a relative's kid, teenager comes to live with you for a while because they're mad at their parents. They can't stand their home. They're a rebellion. I meant, they got the wrong music and the wrong speech, and they're yelling and fussing and cussing, and they hate you for now holding them captive and they're just nting, and Raven just let them rint for a little while. And when they finally hush, look at them and say, have you ever ridden a dirt bike before? You ever been water skiing? How about a jet ski? Have you ever tried that before?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: No? And then take them to do that, and you start showing them the spirit filled life that it's fun. And I've seen kids transform by family helping in that way, lean in until they lean back. Can we be that type of adults? I heard three yeses. Can we be that type of adult? Listen? The world needs you. Yes, the family of God needs you. Some of you have helped with our children. We're so grateful. We need each other. Church is out something you come, do your little thing, and you leave. It's all week long. It's the things that go on behind the scenes. Let's pray.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: We hope that you enjoy today's episode.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to share and subscribe to this podcast for more.
Speaker 2: God bless you all.