Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini cast.
Speaker 2: Jake brought up an issue to me which I think merits us discussing it for fifteen minutes. Jake, and that is Hispanics are roughly thirty percent of New York City's population, yet New York City has never elected a Hispanic mayor. Meanwhile, New York is elected the first Muslim. Muslims are only.
Speaker 3: Nine percent of New York City's population.
Speaker 2: Why haven't Hispanics been able to do it?
Speaker 1: Is it turmoil?
Speaker 3: Leadership, organization?
Speaker 2: Unity? Jake and I are going to have that discussion now today and after that we have it.
Speaker 1: Padre Alberto QT.
Speaker 3: Padrio Alberto is a.
Speaker 2: Great man, a great humanitarian, one of America's most recognized Hispanic religious figures. For those of you who don't know, Pabrio Alberto was a Catholic priest, and as a Catholic priest, he was caught in Miami zipping and kissing a young lady from the congregation, and that became blockbuster. A Catholic priest kissing a woman on the beach in South Beach while he was also a Catholic priest. That's a no no, But we will have him here with us, and we're looking forward to speaking to him as well. Jake, let's get to with my man. What's going on with Hispanics? Why don't we have a mayor? What's going on, what's going on in the city.
Speaker 4: Well, I think there's a great saying about all politics being local, and I want to extend that to this question about not having a Latino mayor yet, And a lot of it has to do with all politics eventually gets down to the individual person. So before we talk about the Muslim community in general and the Latino community in general, you need to take a look at this particular mayor. Now, this is not someone who is your run of the middle typical immigrant to New York City. This is a child of very wealthy and prominent parents. He had a very coddled childhood and life, and his transformation from activist to politics is a very easy one, very easy one didn't have to worry about making a living, raising a family, doing any of those kinds of things which most immigrant communities, no matter how large or how long they've been in the city, have to do before they can start thinking about running probus. So that's the first thing, But the second thing is pretty much what I was just talking about. Latinos in this city, just like every other larger immigrant group, have come here with the number one purpose, not necessarily to get political power or to get representation, but to set up, like you, a financial foothold in this city, create the opportunities that they didn't have back home. And when you're doing that, as you know very well, because you had your foot in both of those worlds for a while, there, you can measure success. I think, as tough as it is, it's a more fair and honest world to measure yourself in the financial world than in the political world.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, Jake, I ran for mayor, I ran as a Republican. I won Queens, I won the Bronx, and I won Manhattan.
Speaker 3: But I did not.
Speaker 2: Win Staten Island. Staten Linen turned their backs on me. I guess they were looking for the person they liked and not the person who could get elected. Right, so they went with I don't even want to mention his name because I just disliked the guy, because he's a natural born loser, a liar, a perpetual liar, and has lied his entire life.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But Staten Island liked his rhetoric. Right, That's what the Republican base was. If stat Linan would have said, you know what.
Speaker 3: This guy stands no chance.
Speaker 2: We need to look at the party ahead of everything, and they would have supported me. I would have with the amount of Hispanics in New York, we would have bought them together. Democrats Republicans didn't matter. We would have bought them together to support me, and I would have beat Eric Adams.
Speaker 1: Well again, you know, compare this to the business world.
Speaker 4: I can like a shopkeeper all I want all I you know, he might be a great guy.
Speaker 1: We can talk sports.
Speaker 4: But if he's selling lousy items and the guy across the street who doesn't talk at all is selling me better stuff at a better price, I'm going to that guy. That's not how politics work. Politics are an incredibly emotional arena. Whenever I hear people saying, I'm voting for so and so because I've looked at all the evidence, boloney, I don't get how smart you are, educated you are. We make an emotional connection to candidates, just like we do with dating.
Speaker 1: It's very similar.
Speaker 4: By the way, psychologists have confirmed this very similar thought process. So you know this is what I You know, and I see somebody like you who's been successful in business and they get into politics and suddenly it makes no sense. There's no rhyme or reason to this. It's all about crazy emotions. You could have brought the goods instead of he who should not be named. Well, Listen, people were talking, but people were emotionally connected to him in Staten Island, despite data that should have told them otherwise.
Speaker 2: Listen the amount of votes that he got in the general election. It was shameful, right, he beat me, and I admitted he beat me in Staten Island, and Staten Island convinced Brooklyn not to support me, so Brooklyn was divided. Right, he got a lot more votes than me because all the Republicans came out and voted for him. That's why I say, you know, the GOP needs new leadership.
Speaker 3: They need people.
Speaker 2: That understand what winning is and what the possibilities of winning are.
Speaker 3: Okay, and like in business, you know what I when.
Speaker 2: I used to go out to make a sale, first in my mind was I gotta get the buyer to like me. If the buyer likes me, I'm freaking thirty steps ahead of my competition. Why Because people make emotional decisions and they do the same in business. If they like you, they'll buy from you, even if you're a little more expensive. Why Because they trust you. You're able to push those buttons where they trust you. You know, I believe that we need to elect a Hispanic mayor at some at one point or another.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot of Hispanic talent.
Speaker 2: Don't count on me because I will not run again unless the GOP comes and says, hey, hey, mateo, we're gonna give you twenty million dollars. We're gonna deposit it in your bank account, and this is the money you're gonna use to run. And if they do that, I will consider. But I will not go out there begging people because you become a beggar. When you run a campaign. You have to call everybody you know and ask them for ten dollars, twenty dollars, two hundred and fifty dollars. It's like humiliating to go out there and beg people to give you money so that you can get matching funds, okay, in order for you to run a campaign.
Speaker 3: No, it's over.
Speaker 2: If the GOP wants a winner here, they're gonna have to put up money like they do for the US Senate, for the US Congress, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Well, you touched on the other reason here, Zora Mamdanni Doar, Liza Chevlee, you're gonna have on and these other Democrats socialists, especially the ones like Mom Donnie, received massive amounts of money from foreign donors.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, is illegal.
Speaker 4: You're not allowed as a foreign entity to donate to an American political campaign. But they found ways around it. There's a lot of evidence of this, and I've never heard of a Latino candidate running in any office getting money from back home, from a significant donor back home.
Speaker 1: What never happened.
Speaker 3: Listen, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: I if that, if what you're saying is true, because you're saying.
Speaker 3: It, I could believe it, then people should be in jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Has anyone gone to jail?
Speaker 1: No, it's Godami gone to jail. No, it's not gonna it's not gonna be very difficult. But this is the same way that this Abdul Rahman El say it has.
Speaker 4: Won the amount of money that came to him from foreign connected money. You know, something you need to understand is even when the price of oil is low, and it's not you know, it's actually not very high right now, it's sort of a middling price. The cash flow, the daily cash flow of dollars going into the oil trade is overwhelming. In other words, they're never actually going to be able to say, well, I can't give you money today.
Speaker 1: They'll always be able to give you money.
Speaker 4: And even at the height of the Cold War, Fernando, our biggest enemy, the Soviet Union, didn't have that kind of cash flow, which is why they never interfered in our elections in the way that these guys are doing it.
Speaker 3: Listen, I have to say something.
Speaker 2: I started my campaign very late in the game because although I didn't know John Katz and Matias as well as I know him today, I always saw him as an honorable person, as probably one of the best people that would actually run the city. And he was undecided until like January of twenty twenty or twenty twenty one. He was undecided, and I said, listen, I'm not jumping in the race if Katsa Matidiz is gonna run, because I want to support him, right, But he decided late in the game that he wasn't gonna run then the field open.
Speaker 3: I announced in March, and.
Speaker 2: After I announced, my good friend, who I thought was my friend, Curtis Leewa, started lying through his teeth about me, right, started accusing me of doing of wrongdoing, and I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: He's a rat, you know, Curtis Lee, what guys is a rat. He belongs in the subways.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why he lives most of the time in the subways, right, So he's one of those rats that you see running around the rails. You just have to put a little beanie on some of those rats so that they can say, oh, that's Curtis. They're running around right.
Speaker 4: But let me ask you a question, because we were just talking about this foreign funding. Who are the wealthiest people in the Dominican Republic, for example, who are the wealthiest people still living there they what's their business and what's their story?
Speaker 2: Listen front Jewel who just passed away. He owned all the sugar cane and he owned the people natural resources. Yeah, yeah, then you have a few families there that are very wealthy.
Speaker 3: I met with a few of them.
Speaker 2: They invited me to go to the Dominican Republic during the primary.
Speaker 3: And you know what I said to them.
Speaker 2: I said, no, I can't go there because I can't go there unless I know I've won the primaries. And if I won, If I win the primaries, then we'll see what happens. Right, then we'll see what happens. But I lost the I lost in the primaries. And that's why, you know, Eric Adams became mayor and it was very unfortunate what happened to him during his four years. Because Eric, believe it or not, I've known for thirty years. I ran into him on Staten Island and handing out palm cards in the parade out there, and he came to hug me and we started talking. And as people pull them away and say, hey, Eric, you can't be seen next to Mattale.
Speaker 3: He's running.
Speaker 2: He might run against you, And Eric told them, yo, chill, that's my guy. That's my guy. If he wins the primary, we're going to have debates of substance, not debates of gossip and making up stories and lies in order to win.
Speaker 4: Let me just make one last point. We've had three mayors of New York City who were Jewish, A beam Ed Koch and Mike Bloomberg. It should be noted that none of them, at any time and when they were running for mayor ever presented themselves as an advocate for or a spokesman for the Jewish community in New York City. That is a very important part of the messaging. First of all, they weren't lying, not they weren't enemies of the Jewish community by any means, but they really weren't there to be advocates for Jews in New York. They never were, and so they were telling the truth about that. So if a Latino is going to win for in a mayor's election, they're gonna have to follow that same pattern and basically say, listen, of course I'm concerned about my own Latino community, but that's not why, primarily why I'm running.
Speaker 1: That has to be part of the messaging.
Speaker 4: Very important to do that because otherwise it's gonna fall into the same, the same kind of quicksand as we've seen.
Speaker 2: Before, Listen, Zoramondami ran a brilliant campaign. I'm not gonna take anything away from that. He organized man, he spoke well, he delivered the message. He's very sharp, He's got sharp people around him deliver hammering the same message over and over and over in his mind, and that's what makes him.
Speaker 3: So so good and so likable.
Speaker 1: Not gonna disagree with you, Listen, it's the money. I'm telling you. For example, in my.
Speaker 4: Gym's I'm not gonna disagree with you, but the money was overwhelming. The Zora and Mamdanni marcials that ran twenty four to seven on the local television stations here in New York make no sense based on his balance sheet of his campaign, there was a tremendous amount of money that has not been accounted for. I'm telling you, just working out of my gym every day before the election, I saw in the you know I work out usually an hour and a half. I saw at least eight nine or ten z'm'm Donny commercials on the screens every time.
Speaker 2: Jake, if he did wrong, he should be investigated. Where's the Department of Justice?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's the bottom line line. But listen, we're gonna go to a commercial. And before we go to commercial, I want to tell you, I don't know what it is with you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like you want to look like me now you cut all your hair off.
Speaker 1: None I've always had.
Speaker 2: Now you cut all your hair off, your beard is growing out, You're looking good.
Speaker 3: You know. Hey, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not gonna be running as a Latino candidate. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Let's go for a commercial break.