Speaker 1: All right, Kyla, welcome to the show. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So tell me about your book. It Fetishized or Reckoning with Yellow Fever, feminism and beauty. It talks about pop culture and the way it both it fetishizes Asian women as well as how that's tied into colonization. It's a fascinating, fascinating book.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the book is called Fetishize. It's about the fetishization of Asian women and my personal experiences with it. So it's a memoir and it's like a series of essays covering a lot of the media that influenced me growing up that was fetishy. It turns out like memoirs of a geisha, super problematic, hairs Yuku Girls, the Fast and Furious series. So yeah, I delve into different media. And my personal background with it is that I used to be a pin up model like decades ago, and I kind of played into the fetishization or like objectification of women for the male gaze. So the book kind of is a reckoning of my own like just questioning some of my choices and some of the cultural influences that shaped me at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're I was reading some of the promo copy and it says, no one has fetishized you more than you can you explain expound upon that well.
Speaker 2: So growing up in I grew up in a city called Upland, California. It's a very small suburb in like forty miles east of Los Angeles, and I was like nerdy and the boys didn't pay attention to me, and like I didn't get asked to any dances, and I just I really was boy crazy and boys were interested in me, in me at all, they didn't find me attractive or whatever. So I think during that age, I just really had a hunger for acceptance because I felt invisible when Another influence growing up is the fact that there were no Asian female influences when I was in elementary school. I can't even really name one. This was before Lucy Lou, so I don't even know who was, Like, you know, there wasn't a superstar before her. And then I didn't have any role models. And I discovered this playboy model online named Sunghi Lee, beautiful Korean woman, and all the boys were in love with her, and I was like, oh, that's who I want to be like that kind of brings me to representation. Like if I had more choices of people to look up to, maybe I would have pursued something different. But I decided I wanted to be a playboy model, and then I ended up objectifying myself because I I wanted the male gaze. I didn't have the male gaze whatsoever, Right, so I I just fully played into it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so let's talk about pop culture. Because I was born in eighty two, My memories of seeing Asian women are you know, very one note up until even you know, not very recently you talk, I mean, when you go back to even like the Rush Hour movies, those are in you know, the two thousands, you know, and it's just like you mentioned, you use the word a lot where when you talk about fetization, it's about dehumanization as well as how it makes people less human. And when I look back on a lot of media, it's very clear Asian people weren't treated as human in Western media until very very recently, shockingly recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, the Rush Hour series was just kind of like I was pursuing acting at that time, and every role was like you had to pretend you had a broke in English accent, which I'm really bad at, so I never got any of those auditions, and then like the rest were for massage parlor girls or prostitutes or kung fu fighters, so those were like the only options. And the massage parlor seeing I bring up also in my book in Rush Hour because it's like Chris Tucker is just referring to the women as a buffet basically, and he's like, I'm so excited for this, I'm going to choose that one, that one, that one, that one, and that kind of just embodies what the stereotype of Asian women like objects that could be disposable and interchangeable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's also bizarre because it's like there's this desire, but there's also the same criticism of the very features of Asian ness in the women as well. Not to jump ahead of twenty thirty years when it comes to pop culture, but Love Island there was a controversy because one of the contestants was using an a Asians, a slur for Asian people to describe her body features, and it's you know, directly about the bodies of Asian women, and the response for a lot of people was this isn't a slur, there's nothing wrong with saying this, And you wrote about this for uh was it a vogue.
Speaker 2: For a teen vogue Vogueeah? Yeah, it's crazy. So many people don't think that it's a slur, aren't aware, and I think that has to do with like Asian American history is not taught in school, so like they're simply ignorant. I'm not mad at them for like not knowing, but it's interesting because like maybe five years ago, there was a trend on TikTok, the fox eye trend, where everyone was trying to have Asian eyes, and then there was controversy because the girls, uh, like I think it's Bella Hadid and some other some Kardashian or something, they were like doing the pulling eyes thing. That's a racist gesture actually, But then in that sense and then this gets into cultural appropriation, which I think sometimes has been taken too far. But it's just like women who are not Asian can come and say, oh, I choose that feature. I like it right now, but they don't have to deal with any of the like racism that we've had to face about our eyes. But they can like pick and choose the features they want to highlight or take for themselves.
Speaker 1: Yes, I see a lot of this in pop culture, a lot of path to congratulate my Asian brothers and sisters, because there used to be just a pop singers will go through a black phase, but now there are also some of them are going through an Asian.
Speaker 2: Definitely. I mean, I think Gwen Stefani is really kind of one of the prime examples of that probably, and I cover her in the book They Harris Yuku Girls because I loved them growing up because there were no Asians on MTV, so it was so exciting, like even though they were bowing down to Gwen Stefani and they weren't allowed to speak, like at least they were in cool outfits and they were dancing at the MTV Movie Awards. You know, I see four Japanese girls.
Speaker 1: Oh god, they might be my inspiration.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that might be my inspiration. You're feeling them or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it works wonderfully.
Speaker 2: Thank you. How do you feel it's coming? She seems happy.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing them on TV. It's like like, this is interesting, there's Japanese people on TV. Shame they aren't speaking or say anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they they were so stylish and their makeup was so good, and you know, like they they were cool. But yeah, uh and I don't think Gwen Stefani actually do kind of believe her that she is trying to celebrate, but she's she's not, I guess maybe willing to listen to criticism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, Okay, So let's talk a little bit about Fast and Furious. So you were actually in Tokyo Drift version as a import model, and that's a job that's something you did in a real life as well. So actually, let's back it up. What is import modeling? Because I feel like it was something that was very big for a while. Maybe it's not so prominent in the culture now, but I also but I also like how you kind of document the women who were in it, because I think that's something important because they were a part of culture and their history should be document Yeah.
Speaker 2: Import models just basically are models that model with Japanese import cars or Asian import cars, because I guess every Asian knows what an import model is, but most people who are not have no idea what an import model is. Yeah, during the early two lesands. There was just a huge scene. Asians had no real community, I guess, and then car shows became a place where they could gather at home. They would the men would fix up their cars and then bring them to the shows and like compete in competitions and races, and these took place all across the country, and then the models became really popular at the shows, and this very subculture and I think a lot of people don't know this inspired the Fast and Furious franchise. Like the first one, they consulted with our j Devera de la Vera, who is like a prominent member in prominent import scene person and other people they consulted with people from this scene. And then eventually as the series has gone on, they've like gone in a totally different direction. But I kind of wanted to highlight, Yeah, they're in space. It is what everybody points out now, So I don't think they really have to do with cars. It's like a crime fighting show or movie now. But I just don't want it to be forgotten, like where the roots are, because it is like the biggest franchise Universal Pictures has ever had.
Speaker 1: So you talk a lot about different pop culture on your TikTok feed, which is amazing. I highly recommend people check it out as a great preview for your book. Fetishized, available everywhere on August nineteenth. But one of the things you mentioned about, you know, the street racing culture, you're actually in a video game and it brings us back to fetticization. You're in a video game as a girlfriend that you can win in that. Yeah, in street racing, Street racing, Sindica Condicutt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this was a show. There's a video game that was out on Namco, I believe, and it was kind of based on like need for speed, except like you could win girlfriends. So like every time you win a race, I think you can unlock a girlfriend. It's just basically we were told as a models. I think there were like twenty models to show up at the shoot and we had to dance against a green screen. You would start off in like jeans and a crop top and then go to like jeans and a minisk or mini skirt and like crop top and then a bikini so you could unlock all these videos of your girlfriends. But the goal was to collect as many girlfriends as possible. And I was just like why can't you just win one girlfriends like you haven't hear them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that actually is fairly common in video games and players like that, picking one.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, you win the princess, like the Mario Brothers wins the princess at the end. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, Kylie, you also talk about some of the really negative and tragic consequences of fatization and how it could have some really serious consequences for actual Asian women. You were friends with a woman named Felicia Tang and True crime fans may know this as the Horrific Tied chapter known as the porn Star and the Preacher, right, and you've written about how that Kyle, besides being offensive just outright offensive, was also not true and part of you know, this fetization of Asian women. And you personally knew Felicia.
Speaker 2: I believe, Yes, yeah, I knew her like acquaintances. We weren't close friends, but we were very friendly and I really liked her and she was very sweet. But yeah, the whole thing is like calling Felicia a porn star is like calling Pamela Anderson a portn star. Neither of them are porn stars. But I think, like, I don't know in her death, it just felt like they were reaching for the headlines and like treated her again as disposable and dehumanized her, and like how it must have been for her family to read these kind of headlines and like for people to search for that decades later and still be able to find those headlines, And she shouldn't be remembered like that because she's simply was not a born star.
Speaker 1: We're still seeing this do humanization even in very popular things today, White Lotus the most talked about seeing from I Believe, Season three featured Sam Rockwell I Believe, an Oscar winning actor, given a speech about how he went to Thailand as a sexual tourist and slept with thousands of women, so many that he felt like he wanted to become an Asian woman and sleep with himself.
Speaker 2: This is a very strange conclusion. Yeah, but I think the show did a good job of bringing more awareness to this issue because it introduced me to terms I've never even heard of. Like there's a term in South Asian countries, Southeast Asian countries called loser back home, and it refers to like these old men, usually white, I guess, who go to Thailand and they could never get a hot girl in their own country, they're not wealthy enough or whatever. But you know these are sometimes third world countries they're going to, so the dollar goes really far. And you see these like past midly pass for others like dating these like nineteen year olds who are extremely beautiful, but they just go and do what Sam Rockwell did. I think, just like go through as many women as possible. It's like they'll sign up for tours. I think there's tours available, like sex tourism tours. I could jump into like what the history of colonialism is, well.
Speaker 1: Yes we got to do that, yes, yes, yes so, and of course that sexual tourism ties into how all of this ties to colonialism and how you address that in your book, because that's kind of what the thing that really got to me is, like, oh, this is all tied together. This is not you know, separate. What's happened because you Minch is mentioned like Full Metal Jacket and the Vietnam War and how the literal colonization of that country led to featherization of Asian women even in anti war films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so. Yeah, the sex tourism industry today in some of those countries has its origins in war because the government had a program where when soldiers were done fighting, they would be sent to rest and restitution, which basically meant getting sent to like another Asian country where there were prostitutes available. So that was kind of in a way there rereward, like not formally, but that was basically how it was set up. And it was the soldiers I think would joke that it stood for rape and restitution or like they used to call Filipino women who could be bought for the price of a cigarette back then, little brown fucking machine powered by rice, and that was like an acronym that they would put on T shirts that everybody knew what this was referring to. Yeah, the fact that the sex tourism industry is still thriving today, I feel like I don't know the figures off the top of my head. It's been millions and millions of dollars of like single mail generated sex tourism is still going to Thailand.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's see. So you talk. You talk in your book about how you personally struggle with this, and I love in your writing how vulnerable you are, how you talk about how like these messages still bother you and still get to you sometimes how you and I want to just ask you, like, as someone like as a model, you know, how it makes you feel being fetishized constantly in the industry. How to make you feel about yourself and how your body and how your relationship with that, how you kind of deal with that on a personal level.
Speaker 2: Well, Honestly, for a young woman back then who was felt invisible and powerless, that attention was very powerful and addicting because when you're in your early twenties, you're taught that like youth and beauty are your superpower in a patriarchal society. That's like how it's built. The only thing that you don't realize is that this is only like a temporary past. There's always a new freshure model behind you. And as a very temporarily like it doesn't really I just had a deep sense of need for like self worth and love, and that validation felt like it was filling that, but it did not. You know, it was only a temporary thing, and ultimately I still had to go and like discover my own self love and yeah, that that kind of attention is never deeply fulfilling.
Speaker 1: It's temporary awesome message Feathershot. Bye, Kylie you thank you so much for coming on Struggle Session. I really appreciate talking with you about this. You have a fascinating story of fascinating book, please check out. I recommend everyone check out your TikTok page as well, because you put a bunch of cool stuff on there every day. Where can people find you and where can you find the book?
Speaker 2: So yeah, my name's Kayla Yu and you can find me by my name on all platforms and my website, and the book will be dropping on August nineteenth at all bookstores, so you could just find it anywhere. Audiobook also available.
Speaker 1: All right, folks that was Struggle Session, have a good one. Peace,