Speaker 1: Welcome curious minds to another deep dive. Today, we'm marking on a journey into a field that sounds straight out of a Hollywood thriller, but is far more intricate, vital, frankly fascinating in reality. We're talking about computer forensics and incident response, the meticulous art and well the urgent science of digital detective work.
Speaker 2: That's right. And while many might, you know, associate forensics purely with the FBI or big government agencies, the reality is digital evidence is now absolutely central. Just so much there's so much crime, so many security incidents. Organizations of all sizes, big corporation, small businesses, they desperately need to understand exactly what happened on their systems after a breach or you know, some kind of anomaly. Okay, So our mission in this deep dive is really to equip you with the foundational understanding of this critical field. Yeah, we'll be revealing some surprising facts, crucial techniques that these digital sleuths use every day. And we're doing this to the ends of Computer Forensics Incident Response Essentials by Warren G. Cruz and JG. Heiser, a classic tech it really is. It's from two thousand and two, but honestly, it still offers incredibly relevant insights today.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're dealing with a digital crime scene, but unlike a physical one where you might see obvious signs, you know, fingerprints, physical evidence. What are the fundamental challenges of even seeing a digital incident? Where do you even begin?
Speaker 2: That's a really good place to start, because the challenges are they're profound. At its heart, computer forensics involves a very structured process. You've got preservation, identification, extraction, documentation, and interpretation of computer data.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down a bit.
Speaker 2: Sure. Think of it like this. Securing the scene that's preservation. Figuring out what's actually relevant data that's identification, Getting that data out safely that's extraction. Writing down Everything you do meticulously is documentation, criticalsolute, and then making sense of it all is interpretation. Every single step is vital to make sure the evidence actually holds up, you know, in court or for internal reviews.
Speaker 1: And the biggest challenge you mentioned volatility.
Speaker 2: Digital data is just incredibly volatile. It can change or just vanish in seconds. Even looking at it the wrong way can sometimes alter it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that volatility sounds like a real tightrope walk. The book highlights this common misunderstanding that really stuck with me.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Nobody expects a prosecutor to like rebuild times square in a courtroom after a physical crime. Impossible, But in a computer crime case, there's often this almost impossible expectation to recreate the entire system exactly as it was. What's behind that huge gap in understanding?
Speaker 2: Precisely? And it really stems from a general unfamiliarity not just with the nitty gritty of digital forensics, but often with computers themselves, especially you know, in legal circles or among non technical managers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can see that this lack of understanding makes the field uniquelyallenging, and it raises a key question, why is this expertise so incredibly in demand now, maybe even more than back in two thousand and two when the book came out.
Speaker 1: Billions lost?
Speaker 2: Right, billions, yes, lost annually to cybercrime, and computers are just central to everything now, fraud, ip, theft, you name it.
Speaker 1: So it's not just law enforcement, no.
Speaker 2: No, law enforcement is crucial obviously, but major corporations they also need really sophisticated internal security teams. The thing is these corporate security pros often really experienced with physical theft. They're frequently well ill prepared for the nuances of computer crime.
Speaker 1: Ah different skill set.
Speaker 2: Totally different. The book really speaks to this urgent need for system admin's corporate security staff to become these sort of digital sleuths.
Speaker 1: And it's always changing constantly.
Speaker 2: That's what's fascinating. The legal side, the regulatory environment, the crime methods themselves, the investigation techniques, all in constant flux. Is definitely not a feel for the complacent. It demands continuous learning, flexibility, and just a really deep grasp of technology.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, given this dynamic, fast changing environment and the extreme volatility you mentioned, it sounds like digital forensics needs some almost sacred rules. What's the absolute number one, non negotiable principle for an investigator stepping into this delicate digital crime scene.
Speaker 2: The authors are absolutely crystal clear on this, do no harm.
Speaker 1: Do no harm.
Speaker 2: You should never ever directly examine the original storage media, the original hard drive, the original USB stick if you could possibly avoid it.
Speaker 1: Why is that so fundamental?
Speaker 2: The entire process hinges on maintaining the integrity of that original evidence. Think about smudging a fingerprint or altering a physical piece of evidence at a crime scene destroys the case exactly. The digital equivalent is actually far easier to do by accident. Just booting up a machine can change hundreds of files.
Speaker 1: So the ideal is always work with copies. But what if? What if the situation doesn't allow for that You mentioned volatility earlier. Give me a real world example where an investigator might have to make a tough call. Maybe bend that do no harm rule slightly.
Speaker 2: That's where the real world complexity comes in. For instance, imagine an active Internet intrusion, a hack happening right now, Okay, crucial evidence. Maybe the attacker's commands might only exist in the computer's RAM. It's volatile temporary memory stuff.
Speaker 1: That disappears when you turn it off.
Speaker 2: Precisely turn off the computer and poof that evidence is gone forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The ideal scenario would be to freeze the system's state, maybe do a live acquisition of the RAM content. But politically or for business reasons, management often refuses. They won't allow the shutdown of a critical production server even if it's compromised. Wow, so this is where an investigator has to make incredibly tough calls. You're weighing the potential loss of vital evidence against business continuity, and the absolute key in those situations. Document everything, every decision, every action won you did it meticulously.
Speaker 1: Speaking of meticulousness and documentation, the book gives some really concrete, almost step by step advice for actually safe keeping the evidence once you have it. Beyond do no harm, what are the practical things an investigator needs to do right there at the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about comprehensive recording from the get go. Every single item related to the incident must be identified and labeled.
Speaker 1: Not just the computer itself, Oh.
Speaker 2: No, everything the main computer, every piece of media, floppy disks back then, USB drives now, every cable you unplug, every peripheral attached.
Speaker 1: And what goes on the label.
Speaker 2: The label needs specific things the case number, a brief description of the item, the investigator signature, and the exact date and time of collection, very precise and critically. You need to photograph the crime scene itself. Start wide, show the whole area, then gradually zoom in on the suspect computer. Document it stated exactly as you found it. What's on the screen? Are there any error messages? Is it on or off? This visually preserves the.
Speaker 1: Context right, that makes sense, and this detailed process, the labeling the photos, it leads directly to this absolutely critical concept you hear about the chain of custody. Why is this so vital in digital forensics? What happens if that chain is broken?
Speaker 2: The chain of custody is well, it's a paramount. It's the documented trail that proves the evidence you collected is the exact same evidence being presented later, maybe in court, and crucially that it hasn't been tampered with, altered or swapped out along the way. And if it's not perfect, the consequences can be dire. The book gives this powerful real world example from the CD Universe website intrusion case.
Speaker 1: What happened there?
Speaker 2: Apparently the evidence was reportedly tainted simply because the chain of custody was not established properly. Someone involved was even quoted saying it's like the OJ Simpson case. The evidence is tainted oof high stakes, scremely high stakes. So to prevent this, evidence must be stored in sealed containers I think pamper evident bags or boxes in the secure area with strictly limited access ideally you have one primary custodiane responsible for it and maybe one alternate. Every single time that evidence moves or is accessed, it must be logged. Who, what, when? Why?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you've meticulously secured the physical items, the hard drive, the laptop, whatever it is, and you've established that rock solid chain of custody log how do you then prove that the digital data itself hasn't been messed with, either by accident or intentionally. This sounds like it needs some serious digital wizardry. What's the main tool the authors talk about?
Speaker 2: This is where cryptographic hash values become absolutely essential. Hashes Okay, think of them as an electronic fingerprint for data. Algorithms like MB five though we less used now, and more commonly SAHA. Like SAHA two fifty six, they produce a unique, fixed size string of characters for any given piece of data you need. Cow if even one single bit a zero or a one changes in that data, the resulting hash value will be completely different, dramatically different. So calculate this hash value when you first collect the data, ideally from the original media, before you even make a copy. Then any copies you make for your examination, you hash those two By comparing the hash of the copy to the hack of the original, you can mathematically prove they are identical. That's clever, it is, and it's worth noting. Even back in two thousand and two, the authors were really prescient. They anticipated that MB five, which was common then, would likely become obsolete in a few years.
Speaker 1: And it has.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's considered broken now for forensic integrity because of something called collisions, where different data can produce the same hash. So now we use stronger algorithms like SAJA two fifty six.
Speaker 1: That foresight itself is pretty insightful about the field, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. It underscores that what's considered forensically sound today might not be tomorrow. Investigators have to constantly validate their tools and methods adapt to new cryptographic standards. It really demands this continuous skepticism, even about your own tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got your perfect copy, it's been hashed, the original is safely locked away. You're moving into the analysis phase. What are the key things to keep in mind there?
Speaker 2: Well, first, the analysis phase is where you actively dig in. You start looking for evidence, but critically, always with that verified digital copy. Never the original.
Speaker 1: Right, protect the original at all costs always, and you should always make a hash maybe MD five or SAHA of any newly created drive images.
Speaker 2: Before you start analyzing them. It's another layer of integrity checking throughout your process.
Speaker 1: Makes sense? Any other interesting tips from the book about the analysis itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a fascinating psychological or maybe legal insight they offer. They actually warn against using rigid checklists during forensic analysis.
Speaker 1: Really, why not checklists sound like a good way to be thorough you'd.
Speaker 2: Think so, right, But imagine being cross examined in court, a lawyer asks why didn't you check box number seven on your standard procedure checklist? Even if box seven was totally irrelevant to this specific investigation.
Speaker 1: It creates an opening, exactly.
Speaker 2: It gives the other side an easy question you don't want to answer. So instead they recommend using cheat sheets, guides, reminders, but without checkboxes. It's about maintaining that investigative rigor without creating easily exploitable gaps for opposing council. It really shows the legal tightrope these professionals walk.
Speaker 1: That's a subtle but really important point. Okay, so you've got your pristine digital copy you've hashed it, you've got your cheat sheet ready, you're ready to analyze. But what if the attackers were really clever? What if they didn't want you to find anything? It sounds like this is where the game of digital hide and seek truly begins.
Speaker 2: That's precisely it. A core principle, really, a mindset in forensics is you must always assume that any system you're examining might contain hidden data. Don't just look at the obvious files.
Speaker 1: So where do people hide things?
Speaker 2: Well? A prime example the book talks about is slack space slackspear. Yeah, it's that leftover, unused portion of a storage cluster and a hard drive. When you save a five file, the operating system allocates space in fixed chunks called clusters. If your file doesn't perfectly fill up the last cluster, there's leftover space exactly, and that space often contains fragments of previously deleted files or other orphan data that the OS just hasn't overwritten yet. It just sits there. Wow, even applications could contribute. The book mentions word ninety seven was notorious for vacuuming up stray data from memory into dot doc file data. You couldn't see inside word itself.
Speaker 1: But if you looked at the raw file.
Speaker 2: Right, if you viewed it with a hex editor, a tool that shows the raw bytes of a file, you might find interesting snipvets.
Speaker 1: So data just lurking in plain sight, sort of if you know where to look. But the book reveals even more sophisticated ways data can be tucked away right, not just in unused corners, but like within the file system structure itself, totally hidden from normal view.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and this next one is particularly insidious, especially for Windows users. NTFS streams or alternate data.
Speaker 1: Streams NTFS streams those It's.
Speaker 2: A capability built into the NTFS filesystem, which is standard on most Windows machines, but basically allows you to attach arbitrary data, even entire programs, to an existing.
Speaker 1: File attached to a file not in it, kind.
Speaker 2: Of like a hidden sidecar. The amazing and scary thing is that this attached data is completely invisible to normal tools like Windows Explore or if you just list files in the command prompt no way. Yes. The book shows examples like creating myfile dot txt dot hidden stuff, where dot hidden stuff is the stream name you could put secret notes in there a directory listing, or they even show hiding and then executing notepad dot ex from within a stream attached to a seemingly harmless text file.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. How do you even find those?
Speaker 2: You need specialized forensic tools or even some command line utilities like der R or dedicated tools like s FIN that are designed specifically to look for these alternate data streams. They would just show up as separate files. It's a classic example of attackers using a legitimate system feature from all purposes.
Speaker 1: That's incredible, completely hidden from plain sight. How often do investigators actually run into this in real cases? Is it common?
Speaker 2: It's definitely something experienced investigators check for. Maybe not the first place malware always hindes, but it's common enough that a thorough examination has to include checking for ADSs. It just shows attackers will use any means available within the OS itself to stay hidden, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, moving beyond hiding data locally, when you're tracking offenders, email often comes up, right. It seems like a gold mine.
Speaker 2: It can be a rich source, yes, but it can also be a minefield of deception. How so, well, the book demonstrates how incredibly easy it is to fake the frum address in an Internet email message.
Speaker 1: You mean, make it look like it came from someone else exactly.
Speaker 2: You can manually connect to an email server using something basic like Telnet on port twenty five and just type the commands to send an email. You can put pretty much whatever you want in the mail.
Speaker 1: From part Why is that possible seems like a huge security hole.
Speaker 2: It's because the core email protocols basically has no strong authentication for the sender built in. It kind of operates on trust.
Speaker 1: So how do you trace a fake email? Then?
Speaker 2: By carefully deciphering the email headers, those blocks of text at the top of an email that most people ignore. Yeah, the gibberish, it's not gibberish. It contains routing information showing the servers the email passed through. By analyzing those you can often trace the real originating IP address, especially if it came from a big free email service like Gmail or Hotmail. Though actually getting the user behind that IP usually requires a subpoena to the provider for their logs, so.
Speaker 1: It's a constant game of cat and mouse digital spy versus spy. The book even gives tipsy mentioned on how investigators can hide their tracks when they're tracking someone. What's the advice there?
Speaker 2: Don't want to tip off the suspect, right right.
Speaker 1: It's all about operational security for the investigator or OPSEC. When you're using network tools like ping to see if a suspects machine is online, or trace route to map the path to it, don't do it from your main corporate network. Perform those scans from a system that's not obviously linked to your organization. Maybe use a temporary anonymous dial up ISP account or some other non attributable network.
Speaker 2: The goal is to make sure the suspect doesn't suddenly see corporate probing back, doesn't see connection attempts from your company's IP range, and realize they're being watched. That could spook them into destroying evidence or going completely dark.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, be the ghost okay. And for the really determined, really sophisticated adversaries, the authors introduce something even more sinister, root kits. What exactly are these and why are they considered so dangerous?
Speaker 2: Root kits are well, they're essentially suites of tools toolkits that attackers deploy after they've already gained initial access to a system. They're not usually the entry methods.
Speaker 1: So what do they do once they're in?
Speaker 2: Their main purpose is to escalate privileges, get admin rights, hide the attackers' activities, their files, the running processes, their network connections, and gather more information, maybe installed back doors. It lets them maintain persistent control over the system.
Speaker 1: Undetected, hiding their trackstep inside.
Speaker 2: Exactly Unix rootkits have been around for years, and the book noted back in two thousand and two that Windows and T versions were emerging. What makes them particularly dangerous is when you get a kernel root kit.
Speaker 1: Kernel that sounds bad.
Speaker 2: It is. It means the root kit embeds itself deep within the operating system's core. The kernel itself the very heart of how the system functions, and a system compromised with a well written kernel root kit could be impossible to detect from within the hacked system itself. Why impossible because the rootkit subverts the very tools an administrator would use. If you run taskless to see processes, the rootkit intercepts that command and filters out its own malicious processes from the list it lies to the administrator about what's actually running.
Speaker 1: WHOA, So the system itself can't be trusted.
Speaker 2: Correct You often need external tools like booting from a trusted forensic CD or analyzing the hard drive offline to even stand a chance of detecting a sophisticated Colonel rootkit.
Speaker 1: That's a chilling thought. Okay, So beyond the purely technical, what does this all mean for the people involved? The digital evidence is just one piece. There's the human element too. The book had some fascinating insights on interviewing suspects, didn't it It did.
Speaker 2: It's a great reminder that human psychology remains absolutely critical in investigations.
Speaker 1: What was the tip?
Speaker 2: The author suggests that even if you haven't actually recovered definitive, incriminating evidence yet, just bringing a thick, official looking file folder into an interview room, yeah, and simply laying your hand on it while you talk, maybe glancing through it occasionally like you know something. Yeah, that can sometimes be enough psychological pressure to get a confession.
Speaker 1: Really just a prop folder.
Speaker 2: It plays on the suspects fear of what you might already know, taps into their guilt. It shows the investigator needs to be part technologist part psychologist.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it seems like a good investigator needs both skill sets. Any other interesting bits on that human side, or maybe how these digital investigations ultimately connect with the broader legal system.
Speaker 2: Definitely, yeah. Beyond the individual suspect, the whole investigation eventually interacts with the kerninal justice system. And here time is absolutely critical.
Speaker 1: Why is time so important?
Speaker 2: The book really stresses that the longer the delay in reporting a computer crime, the less likely it is that a suspect can even be located, let alone successfully prosecuted. A big reason is simply that computer logs the records of who did what when don't last forever, they get overwritten.
Speaker 1: The trail goes cold fast.
Speaker 2: Very fast. And for investigators working inside companies, a key legal takeaway is the vital importance of having clear, unambiguous company policies that authorize the company to access company owned equipment. This provides the legal basis for internal investigations.
Speaker 1: Right avoiding legal challenges.
Speaker 2: Leter Precisely, the book mentions the Northwest Airlines case where flight attendants home computer re subpoenaed because they potentially contained company data relevant to a dispute. It's a stark reminder of how these legal boundaries were evolving even then, sometimes extending beyond company hardware and.
Speaker 1: The different standards in court.
Speaker 2: Yes. The chapter clearly differentiates between criminal court, which requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt of very high bar, in civil court, which typically uses the standard of preponderance of the evidence. Basically, is it more likely than not that the defendant is responsible? Easier to mean generally yes, Yeah, And crucially for investigators in the private sector, pursuing a case in civil court is often an option they have, perhaps seeking damages, which isn't always the primary route for law enforcement. It gives companies another avenue.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, So from the absolute basics like do no harm, to the intricacies of ntfs, streams and root kits, and then all the way to the court room and human psychology, we've really covered a huge metal ground in this deep dive we have. It's so clear that computer forensics is this fascinating blend. It's as much about understanding human ingenuity, deception, and behavior as it is about mastering complex technology. And as you said, it's a world that's constantly shifting beneath our feet, new tech, new legal precedence all the time.
Speaker 2: It truly is that interplay between digital crime and the evolving tools, techniques and legal frameworks used to combat it. It's incredibly dynamic. It demands constant vigilance adaptability from anyone involved in this field. So maybe after today's deep dive, here is a provocative thought to leave you with every single digital interaction you make leave some kind of trace. What data are you leaving behind right now? And who might be able to uncover it if they really knew how and where to look?
Speaker 1: A very compelling question to ponder. Thank you for joining us on this deep dive into the fascinating world of computer forensics. Until next time, keep digging, keep learning, and stay curious.