Speaker 1: Warrington dug deep to beat Catialans did lead reduce Hulky Artur also rans Wigan was scrappy in humber Side, Saint Helen's Win shows. They are like Jackal and Hyde leaded well in Francis Heat York Show. They're still not an easy beat. Welcome to the twenty sixth episode of Poetry three sixty or should I call that Rugby League Poetry three sixty or maybe I should call it John Super League Poetry three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league. My name is Lee Addison. Am I I say you're copying your hero John? You've got glasses on all or they are a bit wonky. I don't know if that affects your vision. You've You've got a straighten up mate, you know if you want to look good like me. I'm a coach in Australia, John a journalist in the UK. Please read the descriptions for more detail. This podcast is being air on the Ashy Rugby League Rugby League Coach podcast platforms and if you want to watch a video, it'll be on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel. If you subscribe to all those you won't miss a thing. Are we still on Rugby league dot com? John, I believe we are, Yes, regularly. Okay. I've got a surprise for you. I didn't prepare you for this, but there's a reason for that. I want your instant reactions. Jordan Melling, you may remember, wrote to us about a month ago with some points about touch rugby in England. Well, he's been back in touch as Jordan and he called it a ramp. So this is Lee's laugh, but also also there's some interesting points in here. He called it a ramp, but I've called it the Melling Manifesto. Okay. So he wrote me a big long email highly hope you're well, just listening to this week's episode, and wanted to give you my unsolicited ideas on how to improve British rugby league. Wanted to know both your thoughts as fellow rugby league realist, stroke tragics. First one shortened the season, improve the product, and he says rugby league is way too intense of a sport to play the games they are currently playing. Stars are constantly injured portions of the season like any meaning or intensity. I would get rid of Magic Weekend as a quick fix for this. Its purpose was to promote the sport in non rugby league areas. You turn up the utilized road games like Doubling Doubleheaded next year instead. I would also cut four games from the season bottom fourth in the previous season, only play the top four once rather than home and away. This would also mean we can align the season with the NRL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's some interesting points. I do agree about shorting the season. I think it is i ridiculous the intense sport and we don't probably see the stars of the gaming off on the field because of injuries and burn out and things like that. I love the on the road concept. I think we should have been doing it. I know we've done for ages. I think we should be doing it more. We need to promote it properly. Vegas, Paris, Doublin, there's lots of other places. Whether you get rid of Magic Weekend, I'm not so sure about that. I do like Magic Weekend, But if we're going on the road, maybe three or four cities, new cities every year, then I can understand why we would part that, and it would have to be a central event as opposed to clubs organizing their own on the road games.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to pretend in response to your answer that I'm Nigel Wood or whoever the new see always because I believe they're still not announced it. Obviously I'm thinking about the bottom line. So we scrap games, or if I'm a club chairman, club owner, we scrap games. That means less income. How do you bring that back in? Secondly, in terms of Magic Weekend, I think there's a genuine conversation to be had about that because I do think Rugby league fans are being are being forced to pay for too much now and I think something like the Challenge Cup is being affected so that I think out of the Las Vegas Magic Weekend trips to Dublin or France Grand Final Challenge Cups, finishing bottom of the pile, I think in terms of the crowd, so I think they've got that balance slightly wrong. So there's a few ways they've got to be imaginative, and I can do person as a rule, So I think, you know, let's come up with a big game package where people can just buy the big games for a discounted price or something like that, because that's the problem, and that's the problem with Jordan's manifesto, the Melling manifesto. Somebody at the RFL, somebody at the clubs is always going to come back with a business a business reason why they can't do it or or why they're doing what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you on that. I think the discounting thing is interesting though, because that's what Rugby Leagu's done for ages, isn't. It's like, well, we can't move some tickets, so we'll give away twenty quid tickets or fifteen tickets or whatever. And in a way, well, I do understand that it kind of we're just sort of saying our product as an indirector or a kind of unconscious way of saying our product's not good enough. I think what we need to do is expand the fan base. And you are right, we are asking fans to pay for a lot, but we need to just we need more fans. We need to not just keep going to the same hardcore one hundred, one hundred and fifty thousand saying by this, by this, we need to you know, we need to double that and make it three hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree, but not all of that hardcore are coming either, So there's a reason for that, and I would I would have thought in the cost of living crisis that we seem to have been in for five years now, that would be a problem. So I don't think I don't think there's any problem when I say discounting, I didn't say anything about bringing it down to fifteen pounds or twenty pounds. I'll just you know, let's say I don't know, what do you pay for a big game ticket? One hundred pounds. Let's just use that as an example. Five big events. You knock it down to four hundred if you're going to go to all five and you've essentially got a mini season ticket right for those big events. The other thing is you can have loyalty, so the more you spend, so if you've got season ticket at your club, then you you qualify for this extra discount kind of thing. So I just need to think laterally as a game. And also because there's definitely there's definitely a reason why the Challenge Cup is slipping off. Definitely a reason. I think one of them is financial. Now, if the Challenge Cup final was in Manchester, I think we'd get twenty thousand more fans just because Yeah, in Manchester quite possibly. Yeah, bring back the War of the Roses is point two of mister Melling's manifesto. The sport needs more eyeballs and also needs a competitive trial for England. I don't know by saying bring back the War of the Roses if you want Yorkshire and Lancashire to genuinely have a war or the Rugby League a rugby league version of it. But he says, have some humility and copy and paste state of origin. I think I know what it means. Now, trial it with a one off game first and grow a huge opportunity. Mister pre ashes when people argued between Connor and Lewis, struck Williams and Smith as halfbacks. Lean into the Yorkshire Lancashire rivalry again, encourage leniency on the biff. People want to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably a little bit on the fence on this one, Lee because I know it's been tried before. I'm sure you would have been across it when it was around. Really caught fire, did it? I know there is a rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire. Is it that strong? I'm not I'm not sure. My other concern is unlike Australia, where I mean it happens to at least recently, probably ninety five percent of the players have come from New south Well and Queensland. In England there's a bit more variety, isn't it. Like where do the Cumbrians? Where do they fit? So? Where do the people? Where are the people from London? You know where they're from, Murdyside like it's I don't. I don't think it's as clear Carda's origin to your first point about it didn't really work. They didn't do it very well.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember, yeah, the two thousand and two thousand and one, two thousand and two, I think it was Origin series that they had and the players were played on a Sunday. They were in camp with the teams on a Monday and playing on the Friday, so there was no training the sort of going on. I remember the Lancashire Origin players from Wigan telling me that Ian Millward basically took him on the drink for two days to bond them so that clubs aren't going to enjoy that, et cetera, et cetera. Now I want to combine Jordan's Sorry, mister Mellings because we need to get the Mellings manifesto. Thinking, I want to combine his first two points. If there's some way we can make money out of a break in the season for something like this, and that might include something else, I don't know, but if we can have some kind of financial incentive for clubs to promote this and get something back from it, then I think it's worth a discussion. I said that twenty six years ago and I still believe in that concept again. And I think one of the things rugby league gets very wrong in England is that we try and deny that we're a northern sport. Well being a northern sport is actually the core of what we are as a sport. Coronation Street is unapologetically northern and it's a worldwide phenomenon. Trust me, people still watch it in Australia. So and that's on the other side of the of the of the rock that we inhabit. So and I assume all of Asia are just obsessed with Coronation Street. But my point being is is is it's it's proudly northern, whereas we seem to struggle with that. So the Yorkshire Lancashire rivalry has only died off because nobody plays on it anymore. And I think there'll be many people in Yorkshire who still think about Yorkshire as a republic and anything on the other side of the Pennines is a problem to them. So whereas I think, I think Lancashire as a rule has probably become a bit more manchester centric, probably as a result of having a couple of Manchester mayors.
Speaker 2: So having all the borders change and keep changing every twenty thirty years as well, you know Cheshire, and.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't tell anybody in Saddleworth. Yeah, I mean this is above my pay grade.
Speaker 2: But if the borders keep changing, it kind of makes your identity to a particular area a bit fluid. I think the point that, as you said, Darfl, I've done it before and they didn't really do it properly. I had zero faith that if we did it now it would work. I think the only way it could possibly work is if we outsourced it to And I'm not saying it has to be the homes, but say Eddie Hearn and you say, look, can you you know we'll give you this event. Do what you want with it, have fun with it. I think we'd need a completely fresh approach and a very different way to you know, to market it and to get media engaged. And we did a broadcaster to back it as well, and I don't think there's really a broadcaster in the UK who's arguably that interested. I mean, we we'd probably have to go with a full social social media approach, you know, stream it live on YouTube, you know, instagram the shit out of it and do it that way. But I don't think there's probably the current knowledge in the game for that to happen.
Speaker 1: Point number three of the Melling Manifesto social media promo. Whoever is in charge of the Super League Instagram account needs to be relieved of their duties and mid immediate. That's a bit harsh again, copy and paste the NRL, post the scores and the hits as soon as they can. Every reel is embarrassing and corny. I'm just having a look at it now. I don't think it's that bad. One thing about social media is everybody under the age of thirty five ish has an opinion on him. Opinions. Opinions on social media are like oursehols. Everybody under thirty five has got one.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I've just I've just had a cursiory glance at the two at the two accounts, and I can't see that much to separate.
Speaker 2: I think, I think the difference I'm not talking about Instagram specifically, but I think the difference with the NRL is the they're very good and quick at getting up the best moments, the best try is the big hits online, like five minutes after they happen in a game. Well, in Super League, it might take a day, it might take two days, it might not happen. So I think that's something in the future we should be employing someone or a couple of people who's literally their job is just to click, you know, get the highlights, the talking points of the drama out and clip that up and get it across all social media.
Speaker 1: And I think it's about knowledge of social media, and it's also about knowledge of current employment systems. I mean, you can literally get somebody overseas to do this for pittance. Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: A complicated you know, I film the occasional grab or interesting moment and put it on my channels, you know, because I think it might be newsworthy or whatever. But I don't religiously go through every game or innyview, but it wouldn't cost necessarily much at all.
Speaker 1: You know what the Super League are doing very well is it take long for five minute highlights to come onto YouTube, for example. So I think I think mister Melling has been a little bit harsh there. I do think some of these things can improve though. International mid season test is Melling's manifesto point number four England have to play a meaningful game mid year of pre planned international calendar for every four years has to be put in place.
Speaker 2: Again. In theory, I'd love to say it's a great idea. The reality, easily, like a lot of these things, is that the English game has no money. So who they're going to pay to get over? They can't afford to pay a team to fly over, you know, to Sydney to play or to go that way, so it isn't going to happen.
Speaker 1: Promote London drop Huddersfield, says mister Melling. Need a club in the capitol that now seem viable and properly back. Giants have offered little to nothing over the past five years five years and seem unlikely to be unlikely to be able to play anywhere, but Jewsbury unacceptable?
Speaker 2: Would you say that you'd want to unleash them in the championship.
Speaker 1: Well, if we're going to be current, they're actually not done too bad today, have they? Maybe maybe in urgence is on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I was, I was at the game and I'm sure we'll talk about that later, but that Yeah, they played very well and you had to feel for them losing that game in the last twelve seven eight seconds because they had a real dig. They shared a lot of all the character. Yeah, I mean I think I think London should. I think we needed team in the capitol. I think Haddersfield have been flattering for years and I don't really you know that they're on field for fortunes may change, but I don't see the stadium or the fan base or you know, the leadership issue changing. So yeah, i'd been favored that I don't want to see fifteen teams, but yeah, I could see the merits of Addersfield go down and London coming in for sure.
Speaker 1: Point number have forgotten the number. Thursday night games have to be local, no brainer. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. I mean you don't want to force or make people travel, you know, six hours or you know, four and a half hours on a on a word. I don't know if always that's going to be possible with scheduling, but I think we're possible. Yeah, that would be That would be the beneficiar. I mean, I think the idea of the Thursday night game is we do struggle sometimes the crowds, but it's a perfect TV night for viewing. There's hardly any live sport on and then you know, that's the reason why it was created, and I think it fulfills that purpose.
Speaker 1: Either scrap the Captain's Challenge or give the video rep the tools to do it properly. More cameras, training to actually use the cameras themselves, rather than asking another blog to switch to camera five. Put a timer on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put a time. We've said that for weeks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Move Challenge Cup final back to August Bank Holiday. The comp originally was for teams that admiral chance of winning the league. Therefore the final was in May a line. It's somewhat with the summer season. We now have spread out the games more. If you supported Hull City and Hull k Are you'd have to go to Wembley twice in a week. If they move the Challenge Cup from Wembley, they may as well cancel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the Challenge Cup's got to have a regular date. Moving it around every year doesn't help. I think probably August or end of August is probably a bit late now considering we have what semifinals in September and a Grand Final in early October. I do like it at Wembley, but I think there is merits of taking on a bit of a road tip and maybe moving it around every couple of years as well, because as you've said about across the living crisis, whether there's Wembley fatigue or there's just people who aren't that fast with it anymore, the crowds are going down, and that does seem.
Speaker 1: To be I'm interested in the term crisis. I always thought of crisis was relatively short term, but like I said, this cost of living crisis been going on for about five years. Really well, I mean, maybe it's just a way of life.
Speaker 2: If you want to throw in the austerity stuff, I mean started around twenty ten. So yeah, yeah, I think you could just call it a malays a national malays that's just.
Speaker 1: Been in the UK Championship needs to become a feeder comb split in two divisions Queensland Cup and New South Wales Cup. Style can call it the Lancashire in New Yorkshire Cup for ceremonial purposes and split evenly. Not enough money in the sport for promotion relegation, but clubs applying and reviewing viability every four years could give them something to work towards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that was one of the proponents about having emerged Championship with League One is regional conferences, which which they didn't go with. I think they probably had more merit. I mean, you're still it's a really difficult one because you were still going to have I don't know, I guess say London are in the same division as Midlands Hurricanes, you know, or North Wales you still might have one hundred and thirty real schooline, mightn't you. So I think basically we need a division for full time teams and we need a division for part time teams and never the Twains should meet. Really apart from the Challenge Cup, there's still too many semi pro teams I think, and that's a really difficult one to sort out.
Speaker 1: So thank you to Jordan Melling. If somebody's going to take the time to write in such detail towards then we'll do. We'll always endeavor to go to town on it. And after that though, John, I mean, we're about twenty minutes in, we probably need a high hydration break as per the current World Cup that's going on. Even when we don't need one, they have one. And the other thing I want to know about hydration break, it's a drinks break.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, unless they're going to inject themselves with liquid, then it's a drinks break, isn't it and you will consume it via mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if that are they eating the odd pickle or something? Isn't that true? Yeah? But you outright it is a drinks break. Maybe hydration just sounds more scientific.
Speaker 1: Change the order on your I'm just I'm just keeping you on your toes. John. Review of games from the last round now Wakefield twenty nine today? Oh sorry, twenty was it twenty nine or was it twenty.
Speaker 2: It was twenty nine, It wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Because the BBC has two different scores, it was.
Speaker 2: Twenty Sorry, it was twenty nine to twenty seven I was at the game. Yeah, sorry, twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Twenty three b Yeah, this is great, This is great reporting from us. Both last last ditch interception try to give Wayfield the winn and apparently it was a bit back and forth tries from Johnston mcneek and Simfield. Rourke scored two, Jowett kicked four goals and Simfield kicked the field goal. Fresh from getting his knighthood, Simfield kicked a goal from Wakefield. Huddersfield's twenty three from Gaguy Geyer and o'donald Jesus three. Three greats her names there from from Australian rugby league folklore and Swift. Swift used to playing goal for Man City and the fifties. Apparently my dad told me about him. Maybe the forties goals were from Franny Flanagan junior who got three and Russell got a drop goal. You were at the game, so you should talk about it. I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it a game. It was. It was a really entertaining game. Wakefield went up ten yll early and you thought, okay, yeah, this is going to be a hiding for Hoddersfield, and then Hoddersfield scored two quick tries, took the lead and then it was basically tip out the whole game. You know, I don't think wait for or at their best, but you know, they did play some good stuff at times in Huddersfield. As I said, we're really gritty. They you know, showed a lot more backbone than they have all season. And then Wakefield were ahead and then it got back to being tired and Sinfield, with about ten minutes to go, kick the drop goal that no one really saw. It was kind of you know, usually you can anticipate when I drop goal or got field goals coming. No one really saw this coming. He knocked it over and we thought, okay, well, you know, Wakefield probably going to get the win. And then there was about a minute and a half to go. Huddersfield was throwing the ball around, weren't really going anywhere, and then only Russell steps up drops a field goal and we're tied up with about a minute or less than a minute left and we think, okay, we'll go on to golden point here and then Wakefield kick off. Huddersfield bring the ball out from their trial line and Russell throws a bit of a long pass and roke intercept certain scores with about seventy seconds left in the game wins the game for Wed. It was Yeah, it was very entertaining. It was a heartbreaking for hardest Field, but a sellout crowd at the do i Ware Kitchens on a pretty warm summer day and it was yeah, quite a good game, I thought.
Speaker 1: Warrington eighteen Catalan sixteen on Thursday. I think it was tries from Ashton, Hopowarti Bentley and three goals from Irwin for Warrington. Catalan sixteen came from Lipovich, Coatrick and Dodd and a goal from Oh sorry, two goals from Aspurrol Beche Catalan's beata Warrington side that I've got a lot of injury problems at the moment, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched this game. It was a terrible game, to be honest. It was just a mistake after mistake era drop ball. Yeah, it was a real bludder of a game. I think in the most memorable bits were Aspiro Bouge obviously the tackle on Aaron Linda that was it was ugly, you know.
Speaker 1: Linda's hip drop related thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was kind of awkward. He kind of fell and he tried to trip him with his leg. So it wasn't pa seic conventional hip drop, but it was just clumsy and he lind up, go down and scream. And now my understanding is that I don't think he's done his a cla a cl Again, it's not as serious as first feared, so that hopefully is is good news. But it was horrible to see, particularly for a young boat who's just come back. And then later on that game, Aspera Boujo makes a break instead of you know, pinsy's his back, instead of sort of looking around for support, he just tries to score on the corner. You and Irwin makes a great tackle and Aspiro Bouja is on the ground and then he passes the ball off the ground which is a penalty, and you know, the basically kind of threw the catland through the w away. It was damn playing and you know it was the ending of a pretty poor game. But look what warrant and good at the doubt. They had quite a few injuries a young team, so.
Speaker 1: It sounds like there's something to take for both teams there though. I mean Catalans would have been big underdogs to go to Warrington and come away with the points and then they've got them close and Warrington have had to dig deep for the win because of their injuries, so plenty to take for both teams. Say yes, you could state that, thank you. I did cast off at fourteen York twenty good result for York. Tries from Vallamey who got a double, Gary Garry and Weave, a kicked to goal York's twenty from Hunter Field and off a Luma Galiano and Hunter kicked two goals late scare for York.
Speaker 2: Very late. Yeah, first York win in a long time, so very important result for them. I was at the league game, so I only saw the highlights, but yeah, very very very important win after everything that's been gone on, which we'll talk about it a bit financially, and after they got absolutely batted by Wiggan the week before, so a gretty performance and cast will be disappointed that they couldn't real that winning. They had a late late surge right at the end, but Gary Gary dropped the ball just over the line right I think with about two minutes ago.
Speaker 1: The Lee Addison kiss of death are struck again. So on do the luth Carry Zero Tackle podcast? And whenever a praise anybody coaching wise or whatever. They then go on a six match losing run. Or if I write an article and if you remember last week were both praised Castleford and they're sort of yes, lidified approached in the last few weeks, and we both tipped Castleford to win this too, so we did. Yeah, the Lee Addison kiss of death. Leeds thirty four who KR eight, That was a big result. I look twice when I saw that. The other day tries from Hankinson Siva only scored two. They probably need to send him back home. He was only scored two. Connor and Hanley scored a try each and then Connor kicked seven goals. Jo krs eight came from Booth and two Martin goals. Huge result, huge result. Microsivo is on twenty seven tries. Now the early in Island of Super League.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing is actually did quite a good job on Sevo. They got Tom Davies, got right up in his face and closed him down in one of the chances, and then I think another one they got about three bodies over and stopped him in the corner. So they actually did reason be well. But yeah, this was the Jake Connor show. Leads were very good whole car a lot of mistakes, a lot of stupid things, not kicking the ball out in touch to be the Panguy junior, trying to you know, open up a salon and give out facials. There's some dumb play from whole KR who were missing, you know, Jesse Lytton and so us So Sue and Spurgess and Luckily, but they just weren't, you know, at their best. Whole KR and Leeds you know, gave them a bit of a lesson and you know, you know, Leeds Leads are definitely the team to be along with Wigan and the competition at the moment. I think, you know, it's a bit of a arguably a two horse race at the moment Wig in one without being great over the weekend. But yeah, they're the two teams that are quite hot and Leads are deservedly at the top of the competition.
Speaker 1: Well, f C, we're close against Wigan and I believe Andy Last had something to complain about all left. He's sixteen Wigan, twenty tries for Hull for Martin Baron cart Wright and two goals from Herdacre, but that wasn't enough to beat Wigan, who scored tries from Eckersley, Hodgkinson, Kieran scored his weekly try, and Smith and Kieran kicked two goals. What was Andy Last complaining about.
Speaker 2: Well, I wasn't at the game. It was Steve Nascod's story that one, but I believe it was to do with the the clock disappoint disappearing sorry at several points during the game. And I think he was also complaining about the stoppages. Whether it was a bit of games and ship from the opposition, I'm not really exactly sure, but I think, Look, I don't think Wigan were at the try five minutes in. They did enough to you know, to come back and you know, get to win. I think there was a lovely set piece try from from a scrum and there was a there was a horrible kick I think it was Logan Moy the ball was going out, tried to tap it back in but just basically tapped it into Bed and French who scored a try. So they kind of work their own worst enemy at times. Andy Last was blaming those who run the stadium clock at the MKM stadium, which is a different one. I haven't heard that really been blawing before.
Speaker 1: Where does the official time come from? Do they still have timekeepers who.
Speaker 2: I believe do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the clock is just the clock in the ground. Yeah, is that just for decoration for the fans?
Speaker 2: I imagine, Well, I think the clock on the game would be the game clock as well.
Speaker 1: You don't know. I suppose it depends on the technology available, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I think he's claim that the clock was not visible on the scoreboard during the formal moments, so yeah, I would imagine that's more of a stadium issue than it.
Speaker 1: But also also what a coach should do is keep his own time. Then in that regard as well, I've always done that as a coach.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, I don't think he's argument it was not about the coach kiding at was that his players couldn't.
Speaker 1: Say no, no, no, you just keep your own time and then you can you know. I mean, at the end of the day, mistakes do happen sometimes too, So I mean there was nobody better than Alex Ferguson for telling the referee. This is the older United manager telling the referee when it was full time, so he didn't rely on stadium clocks or referees to determine what the time was he used to tell them. What I find interesting about the weekend too is Wigan, ok Are Warrington have all underperformed this weekend really, and they're all teams that are on the top end of the table, and therefore in the title conversation and I just think it speaks to remember last week or the week before, we spoke about how the score lines have blown out somewhat and it sort of goes in waves. Well, I think this is another little sign as well that some of these teams pushing for elite standards each week are struggling to keep up with it. To lose sixteen Lee forty Lee are more of a chaser, right, so their momentum is moving them forward at the moment. Leeds, I suppose, have been somewhat inconsistent at times, so they're on an upward trend at the moment. To lose tries came from kay Ward, Butler and Renny and two goals to Sharracks, and Lee's forty came four from Charmly Alec WAYNK Senior and New and Horn scored the rest of the tries and Cook scored for some great names there too, so Charley, I'm sure he was playing twenty years ago, senior related to Keith senior. Obviously, New is the same surname as David New who started the game or a league in America. And obviously there's been a few Horns and Cooks in rugby league as well. Some great names there are you across this game, John, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say much of it, no, but I mean I think it went as pretty much everyone would have predicted another win for Lee. You know, they're on a bit of a role at the moment. They're doing well. I'm really putting some pressure now on Karen sixth just two points below them in seventh and to loose, you know pretty much. I mean they can score a couple of tries to usually most games, but defensively, yeah, shipping forty points it's never a good sign, but.
Speaker 1: You know, in conditions into lose as well. Apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been hot all over Europe and I imagine it was very hot in the seth.
Speaker 1: Of France Bradford ten Saint Helen's forty tries to Bradford Stein Weed and six goals sorry six points from goals at King Kick one and Hooly got two. Saint Helen's forty came from Douglas Syon and Wellsby scored to try. Shorrecks and Hastings with the other try scorers. Hastings got eight goals and the BBC described this as an nutritional contest, which yeah, I didn't. It goes against the score line, I suppose, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't really see much of this either, but you know, halftime ten twelve, well Bradford behind just by two points and then Saint Helen's put on twenty eight points in the second half. That pretty resounding domination in that second half. I thought Bradford would have given him a bit more of a battle. So disappointing for the Bulls, but so Helens. I think that's second win I a round now after a tough period and things that are going off the field, and I'm sure we'll talk about in a bit. So a good victory for them.
Speaker 1: So everyone's played sixteen games apart from Hulkingston, Rovers and Warrington. When are they going to catch that up? By the way, it is a good question. I think it's been announced stopping day.
Speaker 2: I'm just not sure off the top of my head when it is, but yeah, that was the the game that had to be moved because of the World Cup challenge.
Speaker 1: What will they do? Will they play that on a Wednesday or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that, I believe. Wow.
Speaker 1: But everyone's played sixteen apart from those two, so Leads are top on twenty six, Warrington second on twenty four, which is good considering they've only played fifteen, Wig going a third on twenty two. The other two on twenty two are Wakefield who were in fourth and Saint Helens in fifth. We then go to Hulkington Rovers in sixth who are on twenty points, but like I said, one less game. Lei Leppards seventh on eighteen, Catalans are on sixteen in eight. Castleford are still in ninth on twelve. All left c in tenth and their level with Bradford Bulls on eleventh, both on ten points to lose are in twelfth with eight. They're also level with York Knights who are thirteenth with eight and then Huddersfield Giants still prop was up.
Speaker 2: York.
Speaker 1: That result that they got John was in the shadow of what has emerged this week. They might have some financial issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, in exclusive in the online on Thursday and in the paper on Friday. People can go out and read it. But effectively, the Notts and Bolt of the story is that York did confirm to me that they asked for a advance on their monthly central distribution in May, which is about fifty grand, to alleviate some financial issues. Now there's a comment from Clinton Goodchild in that story, but look, it's not a great look. I don't know. There's a lot of rumors swelling around York that has been we talked about last week. There has been for quite some time, nothing that's been substantiated at all. Obviously I was able to stand up this central distribution claim. I think the interesting bit is that when York So York applied to be in Super League last year, along with Toulouse and I think it was five other clubs, one of the conditions in their application was that they were going to have investment from new investors. Now that hasn't arrived yet. I think that's you know, that's an issue now. You know, it's not a great look for the panel that determined who would be coming into an expended Superlique. But you know, my hope is that York. You know, can can find their way out of it, and you know everything's run smoothly. No one wants to see and I think some people some things tend to think journalists like may love to see these stories. You know that we really get excited when people don't get paid and people you know, can't afford to pay their mortgages and they get ripped off players and stuff. No, we don't. No one wants to see a club struggle. No one wants to see anyone unpaid or you know, suffer through.
Speaker 1: These reality is though you could probably copy and paste a story, couldn't you, and just change the clubs, and.
Speaker 2: Well, the reality, the reality isily as you know, is that these things happen, and have happened at what five or six clubs in the last year or so, and you know, you're throwing a few more clubs as you go. For you it keeps happening. And so there's a common theme here and people might not want to read about it. But even if I don't, you know, it still happens. Whether you want to read about it or not. You can't stick your head in the sand. And I think that you know, pretend that it's not happening. So it kind of does go back to the expansion, which we all know is rush through. There wasn't a lot of detail. And also contributing now is the fact that your can to lose. I've only got half a central distribution that the other twelve clubs have, So how would.
Speaker 1: I when we need All we need to do is add a couple more teams to Super League and give them half the money that would make Why don't.
Speaker 2: We just give them no money like we did for Toronto? Just give them no money. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Your glasses, Your glasses are funny, John, When you look this way out of them, they make if you look through your lenses, it makes your head smaller inside your lenses. That's quite funny. People can watch that on that that's what people. That's right, that's right. So, yeah, the stronger you've never worn them before.
Speaker 2: A very strong man. I wear contact lenses. But the has been kicking my ass this week.
Speaker 1: But you've got you've got your wind screen wind screens on now.
Speaker 2: Anyway, getting back on points, Yeah, what we'll we'll see what happens with York in the new future. I think you know it raises big questions about you know, the finances in Super League of Clubs. You know, people quickly forget what happened with Salford last year and what a you know, what a nightmare that was for for over twelve months, and that situation that Salford started with them asking for an advance of central distribution in December twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty four, promises of investment forthcoming.
Speaker 2: And yes, and I'm not saying the same thing is happening at York or will happen at York, but you know, you you'd be naive to not keep a close eye on what going on. What's going on and you know, ask questions.
Speaker 1: Now, what Melling didn't have in the Melling manifesto, what he should have is they should change the fixture list and should have made Saint Helen's play Wakefield this week because they were arguing off the field, so they might as well have had a boil on the field. What's going on there?
Speaker 2: Well, it's all about Harry robertson the well, I suppose we call him the utility. He can play fullback in six and center, but a young glad Harry Robinson was reported in the media a while back ago that Wakefield had had a bid for him, he's under contract, had a bid for him refused, and then later on, in a pretty much press conference a week or so ago, Darryl Powell confirmed that they'd had a bid and that it was rejected. And then on Friday there was a quite interesting statement put out by Saint Helen's claiming they'd never had any communication or contact about Harry Robinson, nor would they entertain it, and that they reported the matter to the RFL and that you know, further action quite be taken. So effectively they are accusing Wakefield of tapping up their player. Now, I read a bit of a column about this on Friday night, which is a free read. You can go out and read it on Patreon. It's not really about the Robinson case specifically, because I don't have any inside of knowledge of who you know, whether he's he was tapped up, or what's gone on there. But my point is that these things, in terms of player recruitment and players being tapped up, they happen all the timely, and I'm sure you know that it happens with coaches too, doesn't it. It happens with coaches. It's literally, and I mean it happens in football and in other sports, but it happens a lot in rugby league. And what is interesting for me is the fact that Saint Helen's have gone public about it because most clubs there's a bit of a gentleman's agreement in it that you asked for permission before you would talk to a player or a coach.
Speaker 1: But you need, you need, you need gentlemen to have that way.
Speaker 2: You could say that, but as I wrote in my in my piece, like literally this happens all the time and often what agents will do. And the interesting thing with you know, in the NRL is I think there's probably about forty player agents or more. Is it there's a cast of thousands.
Speaker 1: And eighty two hundred?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like it's insane. There's while in England there's there's probably about ten and there's really three who have probably about eighty ninety percent of the playing pool and they do wield a lot of power and influence. And what you know some will do is they'll leak certain stories and this happens in Australia as well of course, to certain journalists to put restaurant clubs to sell their players and sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But yeah, you don't generally see a club crying foul about this and asking the RFL to help them out. So that's that is an interesting one. I mean, Saint Helens are a very what's the word sensitive club to a statement when they're not happy and then adding more fuel to the fire. Was at the end of the Wakefield game today and Darryl Pearl was asked about it and he called them touchy.
Speaker 1: But also hasn't Lee Brias said something along the lines of them having lost their identity. Responding to that that, Matt Pete said about two.
Speaker 2: More tests, Yes, I believe early in the week he he said, we're going to play all these young players and you know, I guess we haven't lost their identity or something. So it's a really interesting time for Saint Helens because I think they're really on the defensive art there. They've had a few more long term staff leave there, their physio, you know, the strength and conditioning guy, the head of their academy. It's a real changing of the guard there, so they feel it feels like they're in a bit of transition and maybe they're you know, the they're struggling a bit it seems like they're getting it from all sides, and this is a bit of a response to that.
Speaker 1: Maybe sorry, John, we've done another twenty minutes and we didn't have a hydration break and I do apologize. You're not going to keel over at any point. Ye, all right, make sure you have your pickle. Is the Super League a two horse race, John, between Leeds and Wigan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean quite possibly. I don't think, Okay, our chances of doing something this year are done, but they are looking a bit tired and not at the elite levels that they were last season. I think I still think, Yeah, I like the Broncos game. They can pull off a performance, but I think if we're looking at the whole season as a whole, leads and we're going to be in the most consistent Warrington had been very good, but I think without Williams and I've had a couple of other injuries, I think they're a young team who probably haven't got a experience to go all the way, but they could go very close. And I think Lakefield are building nicely but probably aren't ready to be trophy winners just yet as in this season, but I think they could. You know, go quite far in the semifinals.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about what's sorry? One?
Speaker 2: No, no, that that's what I was finished.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about Leeds and who k Are is well, obviously in the NRL penrith one four straight one four straight. But the year they went to Vegas, they didn't win that competition that year. M hmm. So in other words, one proof that if you look to Vegas, you don't win the NRL in super League. In Super League, Wigan went to Vegas slash year against Warrington, didn't win super League tailed off at the end. Who k Are Their start to their year could definitely be a actor in terms of them having to be ready for Vegas and the World Cup challenge. But Leeds also went to Vegas too, so it'd be very interesting to see how that all pans out.
Speaker 2: So basically you're saying that either Wigan or Warrington or someone else will win.
Speaker 1: No, no, I said, it is a study that I'm carrying out currently. It's a hypothesis that I'm testing.
Speaker 2: I think the interesting point with Leeds is they've smashed whole Gayer twice this year. I think they've beat them twice last year. They do seem to be a bit of a bogie team for HOLK and they do have. They play a much more expensive style and they've they've got, you know, some really great attacking weapons and I think they can they can play physical and they can play grinding footy, but they also like to offload and spread the balls, so they have got a few different levels to them, which you know, is a very confident team at the moment.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of Hull k R's performance or that the man in charge is not going to be in charge and they now on the phone to Nathan Kayala is trying to sort the contracts out for next year because he's confirmed as the new hul Kingston Rovers boss.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't I don't think that really. I've seen a lot of fans say Willie Peters has already got his eyes on P and G. I think that's bollocks. Personally, I don't think that's any anything to do with it. But yeah, they have confirmed Kalas. We did talk about this last week a fair bit. Obviously. I wrote the story on Sunday that he was the front runner and lo and behold, on Tuesday they announced it. Yeah, it's a it's a surprising one. I don't think he's been a name at the forefront of head coaching jobs. Has he in the NRL or even in super recently? I think he was in a running or is it he put his name forward for the mainly job, but he was never mentioned publicly for the mainly job. So look, he might prove to be the great coach, A great I think it's going to be very hard to when you look at the gamble to gamble, every every appointment is a gable, isn't it.
Speaker 1: But I'm talking of gambles. Tyson has signed for the Catalans.
Speaker 2: Yes, with Toby Sexton going to Perth. They've been looking for a half and gamble. I'm told hadn't offer a kind of superlegg glass well for this year. Had an offer last year. I'm not sure which club, but he knocked that back and he I think he's played one n R Old game for the night, so he won't be staying in Newcastle and he will be heading to the south of France.
Speaker 1: There was a big blue this week, a big fight and there were swinging and they weren't hitting each other very much, but there was some There was some haymade. But you you shared a video. I've seen the full thing. I've got contacts and they've got the full thing. And not much happened after the bit that you showed. Quite frankly, it was just a lot of kerfuffle. What was all that about, John?
Speaker 2: You're talking about the Thornhill the Driddlington. Yes, I have seen the full video. The reason I didn't publish that is because there's obviously children in the video and for safeguarding reasons. I know the RFL looking into it, they're investigating. But it's just a terrible look, isn't it. Lee Like if you're a volunteer or a coach or a parent at a at an under you know, the twelve year old amateur game, like why are you getting gang in there throwing punches? Like? I think.
Speaker 1: The similar issues in Australia, except that they don't always result in fifty cours, just gang related shootings. It comes down to society as much as as much as rugby league or any sport. So I understand why people get frustrated at sports because but it's it's just a vicious circle, right, So who would be a referee because of the abuse the cop so therefore you get people of less caliber or there were once at the bottom of the pile, get promoted, and then they make more errors because they're not as good, and so on and so forth, so that that causes problems on the day. There's rivalries, there's people who know each other, et cetera, et cetera. But look, that shouldn't that's beyond the pale. I mean, anybody involved in that should not be involved again. Yeah, and it should never unless unless it was self defense, unless there was Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: There may be there may be some greater context to what happened, and the NFL is looking into it. But I think, you know, for those who are who are guilty, there should be long, long bands talking years, if not life pains, because we just we don't want, you know, the message that it sends to, you know, the kids who were they're playing and it's just, yeah, it's disgusting.
Speaker 1: Now. Overwhelmingly, John when when when you ask for questions on your social media channels, Yes, overwhelmingly. The key topic, the big topic, if if we only took one, it would be the NRL takeover of the Super League. Steve GASCOYN left a question on your Facebook saying when and if is this longer waited NRL takeover happening. It all seems a little cloak and dagger, and it might be a good time for you to scroll through your phone John at some of the questions relating to that, and I can have a look too, because honestly, I think we basically get bombarded with these questions, don't we We.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do. I mean cloak and dagger is an interesting way to put it. I mean literally, negotiations by their nature, they're not not public, but I mean there's not really from what I've heard anyway, there's not really a strong update. What I was told a little while ago was that everything was being put on hold until the NRL deal was being negotiators in the NRL TV deal. That seems to have been done now by all the reports. I think it's going to be officially announced this week. I think something like Wednesday or Thursday. But it's a big increase and you would think that, you know, by at least the coverage in Australia that there could be you know, a bit of a surplus that could go into the international game. So yeah, hopefully NRL Super League talks are back on the agenda. But you know, like anything, there's no guarantee that there will be a takeover, a partnership, a merger, an investment.
Speaker 1: Even the TV deal. Right, So from what I can gather, first of all, any TV deal that's leaked or announced as X amount of dollars, it can actually also be some part of that can be in kind part in terms of contra in terms of advertising and production costs and stuff like that. Yes, So, for example, in Australia, Channel nine and Fox Sports do a lot of the heavy living lifting for the NRL with their own social media production. They have the NRL on nine social media channels, they have the Fox League social media channels as an example, they have talk shows, etcetera, etcetera. So you know, it's not necessarily a cash figure that's coming into the game. Secondly, since the last TV deal, there's going to be three more NRL sides for that one going to be more content and there's more clubs that need some money. So it's a bit more complicated than just isn't it that salary inflation? Apparently, in terms of inflation over the last five years, I think it's actually not that big a jump really, So so you will get the announcements and it will be all fanfare, but if you actually break it down, it's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I've been big rumors over here that they're not sure the narrow can afford the intervention in Super League. So that's that's something else to to consider. Also, I think the choice of CEO was really important because Tony Mestrov, by all accounts, was second second on the on the list of choices, didn't get the job, and he's got He's got a relationship with Peter Valandi, so they have been a direct line there in that. Thirdly, the fact that they've gone with two people that have already got the TV rights here suggests there's going to be an element of status quo maybe so, but is that able to tie it all in with the Super League? Who knows. So there's so many things to overcome. What do people ask John on this? Is any other directions we can go in there on that?
Speaker 2: I think in terms of the in terms of the NRL deal, not really. I mean, I think that's what we've said is basically where it's at. But as you, yeah, I think Mark word House, what's the update on the NRL investment and if it comes, or expecting the salary captain increase. We're not really at that stage yet, Mark, But considering there's been a majority of clubs in Super Leigue against the salary cap increase, I don't think they would necessarily be one. I think that would probably be unlikely.
Speaker 1: We'll save all the other questions for the end. New South Wales have announced their team.
Speaker 2: I haven't actually, I haven't actually except I think two's in it, but I haven't actually seen the team yet.
Speaker 1: All right, well i'll read it to you now. Blues team for game three number one James de Desco, number two, Jack Bostoc Brown Tottle has been dropped, number three, Bradman Best Ca Tony Staggs has been dropped, number four, Stephen Crichton number five, Mark now Angannita Jase number six, Mitchell Moses number seven, Nathan Clearing number eight, Paying Hears nine, Reese Robson ten, Mitch Barnett eleven, Hudson Young twelve, Lie and Martin has been brought in so the lad Dylan Lucas has been dropped as Ieo maintained his position at Locke. Cameron Murray fourteen, Adam Fanower Blake fifteen, Hamole Olaquart sixteen, Blake Brayley is back at seventeen, Ethan Strange eighteen, Tollukola is at nineteen, and Victor Radley is at twenty. So that's the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I agree with some of those changes, some of them not really. I also probably prescribe to the theory that it's not necessarily the personnel, it's the tactics and how those players play and you know, how the interchanges us because Lorry Daily stuffed up badly. I listened to Sunday Sin Being a Triple M show today and they were having a big debate about whether the criticism of Lorry Daily was personal or not. I don't think any of the criticism has been personal. It's about his coaching. It's nothing to do with Lorry as a person or you know, and I don't know Lorry Daily. By all accounts, he's a fantastic bloke, you know, a lovely guy and you know he was a great servant for you so well. I was on the Coinstane Canberra. But it's got nothing to do with whether he's a good coach or or whether he's done a good job in Origin. I'd love for you so well as to get up in the third game, but I think it is probably unlikely. I think they probably rode their luck badly in Game one, and yeah, I think Queensland just seem to be better at these crucial moments in Origin.
Speaker 1: I have a very distinct feeling and based on the stuff I've consumed and belief in my own eyes want to look at things. And I think there's every chance Laurier Daily has accepted he's not up to this job. I think there's all the smart money he will be on this being his last Origin game.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I think that on the night of Origin apparently they had a big pow wow. And it's also been reported it's had a lot of conversations with players in the interim and it's been reported and hinted at that it has been about the tactics and how to go about beating Queensland in Game three. If Laurie Daily has done that, he's both home and smart because there's a lot of football IQ in that side that have just listed that know how to win premierships at least, and some of them have won Origin Shield as well. And there's enough football IQ in the state of New South Wales full stop. And I think one thing malmon Inga did so well as Queensland coach was he brought all those talents together to get the right answers. And I think there's two ways of looking at people who leave no stone unturned and change things and everything else. One it can suggest panic, but two it can also say you're scratching around and the more you scratch around looking for the answers, eventually you might find it. So I think we're going to have a real contest in Game three. So much so I may have put twenty dollars on New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Well, twenty dollars for a tit Lancashire and that's that's a big, big moves lankashireman.
Speaker 1: I have never heard that phrase before. You are Lancastrian. It's called and and.
Speaker 2: To that place anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm as a as a presenter here of this show and whatever else. We can't encourage people to gamble stupidly, John, So I'm just promoting gambling gamble responsibly. Twenty bung. I put ten bung or twenty bung on things occasionally So I was in the company of somebody who said, Lee, you need to put money on this horse. It is going to win today. And I looked at the odds and they were very good arts, and I thought, oh, I wonder how you know that's going to win today? So I did. I put twenty bung on and came away with two hundred bun. So I've I had money to put on this and I've been telling everybody who listened to me, I think New South Wales are going to come really strong. The shackle is going to be off them somewhat. That doesn't help the interchange, but there's enough people around New South Wales. Somebody can can can get in Lorrie's ear and sort that interchange out too. So yeah, there's one thing about being in crisis, John, you reach for You reach for things that you might not necessarily reach for in non crisis time. So and people forget as well. It's one all in the series. New South Wales just have to win one game and they've won the s.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think we could spend all day analyzing it. You know, I personally I would have put put collar in the wing and not pick boss Stock or kept oo lea Martin I think is a good selection whether Ethan Strange should be standing at six after Moses' game, saying that Moses is one, you know, he's had our blinders in origin before and Happy, I mean, did he deserve to be dropped?
Speaker 1: But Nathan Cleary, I mean, Nathan Cleary has got a really checkered representative history after that. Apart from his first two years, he's been really poor in rep football statistically, and I've analyzed his game. You know, there's just a narrative around Nathan Cleary, just automatic pick because he's Nathan Cleary. And and I think this is part of New South Wales problem anyway. This is Super League three sixty not why not? Why New South Wales are Ship three sixty Broncos Broncos by all accounts now are out of the NRL title race based on based on maths, and Gus Goule says, the minute you start saying it's mathematically possible, it's the end. So Broncos lost to Roosters the other day. I suppose the question there is where will the Broncos go if they don't make the finals this year? In terms of their coach, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think they're going to sack him. They've had a terrible year. I know they've had a lot of injuries, but it just seems like players are unhappy. Jesse Arthur. Jesse Arthur's apparently was offered a deal by the Broncos, but not to back and it's kind of cat Leans and obviously paying Hals is going But I think, yeah, I think I'll stick with Madge. What will be interesting. I think he's only got next year, So did they extend him or not? You would think with the way things are going, they aren't going to extend him at this point, but stranger things have happened.
Speaker 1: Well it is and I mean, at the end of the day, you want to complash year? I mean he did you know? Anyway? Like I said, this is Super League three sixty before we go through magic weekend fixture, John, do you want to have a look at the other questions that we've got.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll have a quick read through. So we've got a question from Ben Blackwell. Will there be a contingency contingency playing in place of York's Fine, if York's financials is okay, I'll start that again. Apologies. Will there be a contingency playing in place of York's financial financial issues worse than the last thing with sports Age is another sulfured fiasco with players leaving, not getting paid, et cetera. This steep into the season. Although I am advocate for expansion, with hindsight, it's being rushed. I'm not aware of there being a contingency plan at all. I know there was partly one with Sulfur, but there also wasn't. So yeah, in terms of it being rushed, I think we all know it was rushed. I think we all said, well, I think at least mainly said that there wasn't a playpool, there wasn't a finances, and you know, we've been proved right the question.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm so happy about job. We've gone through the NRL section, which we normally only do for a couple of minutes, and you didn't mention manly or fosball or anything. So that you're developing as a person, you're growing.
Speaker 2: I did enjoy the game on Saturday, though.
Speaker 1: They moving on that Saints blog said our coaches who preach the grind and the arm wrestles sentencing the sports or a slow, painful death.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a bit of a weird question because I mean, you should probably answer.
Speaker 1: This well you answer it. You answer it from a journalist and spectator point of view first, because I think it's a unique question. I wouldn't call it a strange question. I call it a unique question because I think he's looking at entertainment value there. So I think a journalist and a spectator as such is more attuned to enter. You talk from the entertainment perspective, and then I'll talk from the coaching well.
Speaker 2: From a jealousy point of view, I would say that every coach preaches the wrestle and the grind, because if you don't, then you aren't going to win many games, if any. I think once you do that, what you do when you have the ball, apart from what you do on defense, is different, and you might play a more expensive style than others. But I don't think there's a huge amount of difference in philosophies of the way the game has played, at least in Super League R level in my experience, I don't think you can. You know, every coach, every sorry club has a wrestle room. They all practice wrestling, and that's been happening well more than twenty years.
Speaker 1: He said the arm wrestle, not the wrestle. So he's talking about the field position grind basically. Yeah, I mean, I think it is connected, but I know what you mean yet. I wouldn't blame the coaches, Saints blog man. I'd blame the administrators because for something else I'm doing, I've done. I've had a look at the evolution of the game from an Australian perspective in terms of rules and how that's impact coaching. Saint George won eleven straight in the sixties, fifties and sixties, and they won that because it was limited tackles and they could hold the ball for a week in a game. And therefore they brought in the four tackle rule and then the six tackle rule, which.
Speaker 2: Made you also couldn't recruit players outside of.
Speaker 1: Your area, that's right. And therefore, once the four tackle and the sixth tackle rule came in, it became limited as to your possession, so you had to make the best of it, right, So then we started seeing moves come in and things like that because there was only five meters apart or five yards. And then now what we've done over the years is we've got rid of the opportunities to win possession wherever you are. So you used to be able to strike at the play the ball for the ball. You used to be able to steal the ball if there was more than one person in there, and then they scrapped that and then brought in a rule again where you can do a one on one strip. So basically the game became a game where one team would have the ball for a set of six to go down the other end, and then the other team would have a ball for six. And so then they brought the forty twenty meter rule in a forty twenty kick in to try and to try and change that up. So I would blame the administrators more if I'm honest. Any more questions, John, Yeah, We've got a few more. One from Debbie Jones. I'd like to know why if you're attaining a rugby league match you can only bring in a bag no bigger than an A four size, but if you turn a test matches in the cricket you can take a rucksack. I thought it was the same ruler or sporting events in the UK. I think it's down to security regulations at each individual Stadium Debbie. Debbie was the one who got was in trouble the other week with Neil Hull.
Speaker 2: Question from Andy is it true the host of Giants are buying Dewsby Rand Stadium? Now there's been rumors about Hartsfield actually buying the Jewsbury, rams Lockstock and Barrel several weeks ago. That's just a rumor at this stage is not being substantiated. But with obviously what's happened with the shared Halifax, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Question from John Rogers does anybody ever monitor the depts championship clubs are building up alongside the sildary cap? Is this essentially in order to move away from overspending, declaring back bankruptcy, start again, repeat cycle, often with the same people.
Speaker 1: I'd like to praise John for having Colin Bell in his profile picture and everything Manchester City. That's my boy.
Speaker 2: No one monitors it from the RFL. I believed John, there's not really a central body doing it. The RFL stances that their individual businesses and it's not their job to run them and tell them what to do. It is the same cycle, often with the same people, because we don't really have any due diligence done on who owns clubs or who investments invest in them. We just take whatever.
Speaker 1: Google search.
Speaker 2: Yep, Google search is a very strenuous investigation. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I there was a question I just liked as well. If Josh Charley has not been named in the initial thirty man England are OL World Cup squad, why not? That's from James Taylor.
Speaker 2: I would I mean, I'm not Brian McDonough and I'm not speaking for him, but I would hazard a guess because well, Josh Charlie is still scoring tries and still a talented player. Probably his best years are behind him, and there are players in the prime of their careers and arguably better players now ahead of him in the pecking line. And I'm talking about Dom Young, Tom Johnston, Maddy.
Speaker 1: Ashton, younger versions as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, who perhaps are you know quicker more athletic, et cetera, et cetera. Another question from Debbie how long have a side got there the soul where they can make a captain challenge or is there no time?
Speaker 1: That's the other question we get all the time, isn't it about captain's challenges and video referees.
Speaker 2: Is there thirty seconds or a minute? There is definitely. I thought there was a timeer on that.
Speaker 1: I think definitely well in an RL, I think it's about ten seconds or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely a there's definitely a short window. A question for Gavin Quinn is there any news on P and G Chiefs and Perth grade recruitment in the Super League. I've not heard anything else Gavin that's been recorded. Obviously there had quite a few targets. I don't think necessarily there'll be any other big ones name announced, at least for Perth because I think their squad is mostly done. P and G obviously aren't playing for twenty twenty eight, so we could see some movement next year possibly, And I think on Facebook there was another question. I sure have you got this one, Lee or you brought me to read it out.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got a question from me and Judson. I'll let you answer it. First. We need to ditch the video referee and all the TV gimmicks that go with it. Our sport has much bigger priorities than pander into television and including disasters like captain's challenge. Try no, try to consider it, and it is subsequently masking the standard referee vastly were making the standard of refereeing vastly worse than it was before. There's a discussion for you.
Speaker 1: Did you say his name was Ian?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Ian. I'm going to answer this very quickly and very quite brutally. Actually, the game has to pander to television because it wouldn't exist without television right quite frankly right now, because it forms a sport and that's it. And then everything you say, everything he says about the the video referee, et cetera, totally genuine but yeah, we've got you're unfortunate first line of that question. It just can't happen. We've got to panda television, particularly in England. They've got to go cap in hand and just get what they can into TV money.
Speaker 2: Every score does, the NFL does, the Premier League does, the NRL does the thing about the video referee. I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have it, Like people have short memories, gen many like real clangers that used to cost I can even remember what the ninety five Grand Final, and you know one was a forward pass. But Canterbury scored from a forward pass. Jim Dimmitt wraps the ball around, passes forward. They had a seven tackle set in the Grand final. You know, there's lots of you know, clangers that we don't have because we have a video.
Speaker 1: And it happened in the Canberra Rooster's Grand Final the other year as well with all the six again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean there's there's no there's always a margin of error when it comes to human being. So we're not going to lose the video referee. And yeah, television's here to stay, has been for what eighty years?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that? Is that for questions? Mate?
Speaker 2: That is mate? We've got Magic Weekend in less than a week. I will be there at day both days, all six games, looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Just got time for tips then Johnny's tips. Quadersfield York at twelve thirty on Saturday, the Battle of Last and second last. Look Addersfield. They impressed me today, but I'm going to just go with York. Yeah, not really for any.
Speaker 2: Particular reason, but it's a fifty to fifty game when you've got to pick one of them.
Speaker 1: Whole k Are versus Whole three o'clock on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I don't know the last time I lost to Derby. I'm going to say it was probably about four years ago, maybe longer. And yeah, I think I think okay win that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lee versus Warrington at five thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an interesting one, considering the injuries that Warrington have got. I think probably with the form that Lee are in, I might just go with the Leopards on that one.
Speaker 1: Catalans play to lose at eight o'clock. Well, that's actually in France, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is in France. I think probably the Dragons may obviously, you know, a stronger team on paper, and John cart right there, I think, yeah, they're probably making some slight movements towards stronger consistency.
Speaker 1: I've messed up the BBC thing that I'm doing. Hang on, I'm looking at the feet. So next week is Saturday the fourth. Yeah, yes, and I've just done the right thing right, So someday the fifth sorry live live podcasting someday the fifth of July. Wakefield versus Cast at lunchtime, twelve thirty. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you know, as we said, we were talking about Casts turn a bit of a corner and then losing against York I think Wakey have one five of the last six up into fourth now and I like the look of them, even though they weren't their best today. I think tipping them for the results in.
Speaker 1: That one lead versus Bradford at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you look at the form sheet, it's got to be the Rhinos.
Speaker 1: Wigan versus Saint Helens at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: Again, Yeah, I think we again, particularly after what happened good Friday and then what happened in the semifinals. I think Sons will be very fine out but I think as well so I'm really looking forward to that actually be very very tasty.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should play it after nine o'clock, after the watershed, because me that makes me laugh when some media outlets this is going to be a fiery game. You're not allowed to do anything anymore. Why would it be. There's be a few big hits or something and a bit of push and shove, unless, of course, you're at Driddlington and Thornhill and it's making hay mmmm. That's another episode of three sixty Super League, three sixty done and dusted. I do apologize for those watching for John's shit shirt. There is something resembling a kangaroo on there is Is that a soccer roose jersey though.
Speaker 2: This is a soccer roose chasey. Yes, and we will be playing my Egyptians next for her not looking for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll buy some Toby roans so I've got some pyramids. Okay, take care,