Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's nit coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, four o'clock hour, getting started here on a Friday afternoon. It is Coffee and Company that's us. We are fuel Beuth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nit Coffee with you. The one and only Austin Montgomery on site with me today as we come to you live from the Alex R. White Lawyers offices. So Distracted Driver dot Com great partners of ours. We certainly appreciate them partnering with us this year for the for the post game show, which we will have tonight because it is game day, our first game day edition of Coffee and Company this year. For Louisville football, we were kind of well, I was spoiled last year because it was nice to have to have some weekday games because it gives me a chance to, you know, just sit back and observe all the college football going on on a Saturday. And I'm pretty sure, yeah, Louisville last year, I mean they won ten of the reg of their season games, so none of their losses happen to come on those weeknights, so we'll have pregame shows starting here at six thirty, so you'll get a thirty minute break for me. I do apologies. I'm sure you guys want nothing but just non stop Nick coffee yapp and but you know we can only do I can only do so much. So pregame show is gonna start here at six thirty persented by Pellow Windows endors with Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital, and then as soon as the game ends, it'll be a late night tonight, probably gonna be some drunk folks, which, to be honest with you, as long as you're responsible, I'm for it. Drunk phone calls on the postgame show can be a lot of fun. Now you can't curse, because sometimes people do that too much. Then we got to hit the dump button, and then it becomes an issue to where like we can't take calls for a minute because we got to let the dump button catch back up. I'm getting way too deep in the weeds when it comes to radio terminology. But you know, have fun tonight responsibly. And when I say responsibly, I don't mean just you know, with your booze, but like you know, you can probably get your point across without dropping f bombs and whatnot. But I hope that we will be reacting to a Louisville wind, and I believe we will. But I'm also to a point where a whole lot would really shock me with this Louisville team. Uh, to be honest with you, all right, Uh, I think I made I may have made a mistake here. I've got a C four energy drink and I thought this was just like a regular energy drink, but this is one that's like performance as well, which I mean it's it's I think it's like pre workout, so like I'm sitting here tingling and like, yeah, I'm kind of tingling here, which is which isn't which isn't great for me. But at least you know, you can't say I'm not ready for the show I've got. I've got pre workout as I sit here at an office itching and sweating. But you're usually a monster guy, aren't. Oh yeah, this made It was in the fridge and I didn't have time to stop any years. So that's what I ended up with. All right, let's bring him in. He is Alex Kupper, former Louts of a Cardinal joins us each and every week to talk some Louisville Football Cup. If you heard me there, I just I just took a pre workout not knowing it. Have you ever done that? If you ever taken a pre workout and then like the gym was closed or you forgot you had something going on and then you're just not working out and you're just itching and you know, sweating. That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 3: How did you not know you were taking it?
Speaker 2: So there's different C fours. Apparently there's C four that is Sport Plus Fitness Performance Drink, which I guess is like a pre workout drink. I thought it was just the Sea four like energy drink, so right, just I mean it's it's a very nick coffee type move. Not to go a third person, but like you know, people hear that story that I just shared and probably think, yeah, I could see him doing that. So I learned the hard way when it comes to uh, to a lot of things. But you know, if anything, I'm ready, you know, if there's any if I need to drop, if I need to go, yeah, I mean, if they need me, I'll take a flight to Boston. And if they need me out there. I don't know how long this thing is gonna last as far as me being ready, but you know, anything to help the cards, and they won't. I hope they don't need my help tonight. But this is this is clearly not an easy If there was an easy way to just for teams to figure out how they can clean things up, put it all together, avoid sloppy play, avoid mistakes that that are avoidable. If that was easy to do, that nobody would make mistakes. But from your your perspective, your experience is a guy who played the game at the highest level here at Louisville and also in the NFL, when you see teams that do, in fact have a habit of making mistakes that you just feel like are really crucial. Nobody's asking anybody to be perfect. That's not realistic. But what do you feel like is usually the root cause of teams that just have a tough time seven games in really putting it all together, putting together a complete game.
Speaker 4: I mean, at the end of the day, if if stuff doesn't go your way, and you you know you are, you do everything right, you feel like you're you know you're you're putting in the work you need you you, yeah, it's only it's only resulting in and bad results. You kind of you can you can be a little disheartened if you if you don't trust, you know, in yourself, don't trust in your team. You can see you can see the cracks develop, you know, unfortunately, and and you know, you have to have belief, you know, that's the biggest thing when you're playing football. You got to believe that what you're doing is the right stuff. You're being coached the right way, you're being led by the leadership of your team the right way. And if you have those things, you can get out of these ruts that they're in. And you just I mean, when it comes to playing really good teams, if you doubt yourself one second, one play, that's the crack that they're going to need, you know, to pick up a third and twenty two and when you should have got off the field, you know, and there's countless examples in that game where it's like, God, why, you know, why couldn't we make this happen? So you start to doubt yourself and you i mean, a football team like this on the ropes, So you cannot let that slipper in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you mentioned starting to doubt yourself whenever these mistakes become sort of a regular thing, And I think you know, to be honest with you, like I think tonight, you know, and again, players, I'm sure aren't worried about tonight what fans think. I mean, I'm sure they appreciate the fans, but they're focused on the task at hand, their assignment, all that stuff that you hear coaches mentioned. But I do think for this group, they know that they've not put together a complete game, they haven't put it all together, and they've really had to look in the mirror when it comes to at least two of these losses. I mean, you always have to look in the mirror when you lose a game and know that you could have played better. But you know, the SMU game, the Notre Dame game, it just felt like there were some things you could have easily avoided that would have potentially given you a different outcome. I think tonight, what's really on the line for this group specifically, And obviously they want to win every game. The next game is always the most important game. There's a reason those cliches exist. But I feel like if they do play well, and not asking them to blow Boston College out, but if they play well and you look back and say, Okay, they really tighten things up. I feel like that can go a long way for these guys specifically, from like a mental perspective, it could be the confirmation that hey, we know we got some good dudes, we know we've got ability, but the one thing we haven't done is put it all together. Even though it's going to be against the team that most people assume that you're better than I think tonight, if they do put it all together, not to say that I think that that means they're going to win every game the rest of the season. But I feel like for these guys internally, it could really really help.
Speaker 4: Them absolutely and prove that you can and again once again go on the road and win a conference game.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what you're gonna have to do.
Speaker 4: You have to go on the if you're gonna make something this season, it's got to be done on the road every every you know, I know Pittsburgh is at home, but clearly, I mean this team it feels a lot like you know, coach Stronk's first year twenty ten we had a much better I got.
Speaker 3: I think we're like we won four.
Speaker 4: Games, four of our six or seven games on on the road. You know, we would we would always just end up laying eggs at home and just couldn't get it done at home when we had like the the emotion and the energy of the fan base back on our side and which which this team had last week, and.
Speaker 3: It still didn't didn't really do it much.
Speaker 4: So hopefully it is that bunker mentality. You know, you're you're on the road, it's you're you, you're all, you got the traveling parties, all you got a specially up in Boston. You're not gonna bring anybody up there. Lock in focus, do your job, believe that you can do your job to the best of your ability, and go out and get a win.
Speaker 2: Now, am I wrong? Here? Did you did you play for Bill O'Brien with the tech since did he get there right after you?
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right? Nope, nope, nope, you're right.
Speaker 2: You're so tell me tell us that he's he's pretty well respected. It seems like as far as a guy that you know, I mean, I mean, he's proven to be a pretty good coach, but Obviously, him taking the Boston College job seemed like a little bit of a surprise to a lot of people, just because it's not viewed as a great job. But he's got some Boston connections, his family's up there. But you know, how how good can Boston College be in this new world with a guy that is a really good coach and and and you know has proven that over time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he is a hard He's a hard nosed, old school kind of guy. I mean, he's he he understands the changes in the landscape and gets all that thing, gets all you know.
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 4: Complexities of college football. So he you know, he's been back in it long enough, being at Alabama and everything. But yeah, he's he is a very knowledge He knows the game really well. I could say, I would say he could be stubborn at times, obviously seeing that you know, there's you know, you get stuck in your ways and you you know, if that way is not going right.
Speaker 3: You know, so if we if we can catch.
Speaker 4: A beat on them and beat them at their you know what they're trying to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's he's gonna try and stick to.
Speaker 4: And believe that his game plan was better than what coach Browman and the defense and offense.
Speaker 3: Had laid out.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I would say the biggest thing we got to do is to start fast, start fast and make plays because they're you know, they're gonna they're gonna keep coming at you. They're always going to be hungry. He's never gonna let them quit. So that's you know, it's a four quarterball game. It's a really hit his his uh speech in mantras is a lot like coach Broms.
Speaker 2: Really, I mean, I I think that. I mean again, there's a lot of football to be played, and I wouldn't lie to you and say that I think Boston College is a great team. But I think there at times this year they've not only overperformed with how they've beat teams, but you know, they play hard like you could. I mean, to me, they they looked like a team that is a reflection of that guy on the sideline when I watched him a couple of time earlier this year. Are you surprised at all? And again, it's tough to get an NFL gig, but he had a winning record as as as a head coach in the NFL, and he coached many years, had many winning seasons, and he went oh and four before being fired in twenty twenty. So before that he was eight games above five hundred, which isn't you know, it's not like he's winning playoff games or anything like that. But usually if guys can consistently win, which he did other than you know, one real outlier season where they were bad, usually those guys that are reachreads, they get opportunities. Are you surprised he's he's not landed back in the NFL?
Speaker 3: You know it get he gets I mean the rap in it.
Speaker 4: It is very you know, there's a lot of times you would sit there and think it's like, okay, this this all this mantra and this you know, it's the parcels Belichick kind of our aura where it's like, if you don't have Tom Brady, this is this is gonna be a hard thing to you know, it's kind of be a hard thing to duplicate and and see could actually yeah, oh my god, so many times I've thought are with think that, like, you know, this this is a really good offense if you have a quarterback under center, that it can get you in the right play when you're in a bad play. I mean that's essentially what Tom Brady did for all those years was I mean they they very rarely ran a play where it was into a pressure that they couldn't block, or a run, a run that wasn't you know, dialed up exactly right, because he knew exactly how the defense was going to shift and what they're what their principles were. So as super knowledgeable, great obviously talent if you didn't have that. You know, Fitzpatrick was the quarterback when I was there, and he's super cerebral guy. You've see you know, he's on the Thursday night Football deal and he's Harvard, I mean, super smart, but you know he can understand things and and take it to an extent. But there was just another level. There's levels to this, and Brady could just he could just see the field add another dimension that others couldn't. It was like a matrix to him. He knew where all the zeros and ones were going, so he could put everything down wherever he needed to. And that's just you know, you couldn't get you couldn't get that out of anybody else. So a lot of his success was predicated off of that. New England Patriot run and tried to duplicate that in Houston. But you know, obviously the Deshaun Watson stuff and it just unraveled and didn't end very well. And I mean that I don't know if he made a great, great in roads with any you know, ownership groups or or anybody else like that. But at the end of the day, if you can win games, and if you can win games of balls and college, I could see him finding his.
Speaker 2: Way back As soon as you mentioned that. He kind of tried to carry on what he was mostly known for in how things were going in New England, and he tried to do that without you know, the core pieces that made that thing happen. I mean, it makes total sense as to why. But I'm looking here and I went back into a little bit of a deep dive during around the time when you were with the Texans Cup and man, they had a lot of different courts. I mean, for in a two year stretch. These are the quarterbacks that started multiple games. You mentioned Fitzpatrick you started the most, but un mallet case Keenum, Brian Hoyer, TJ. Yaks, Brandon Wheaton. I mean I mean that, I mean I feel like that. That's a two year stretch there where maybe they played more quarterbacks than anybody has in a two year window.
Speaker 4: And the record, I mean we I think nine and seven is first year. But before that, yeah, that was her. Before that, it was a little tough sled and getting out of the match job years unfortunately. But yeah, there was a lot of a lot of turbulence, not a lot of consistency, which doesn't doesn't bode well for you know, NFL jobs.
Speaker 2: You can imagine, no doubt. All right, So when it comes to when it comes to tonight's matchup here, obviously they've got a quarterback who has not actually been that effective with his legs this season, but we know he can because he did it last year against the Louisll and really made a lot of plays a year ago and kind of made a name for himself in the ACC. That's Castellanos. If you're coming off of by after two straight losses, which this this Boston College team is, and you're looking at Louisville can be vulnerable, I mean, isn't isn't the you know, stopping the running quarterback like that's got to be something opponents are looking at that they could exploit. And again he hasn't been as effective, but we know he can. Like I wouldn't I wouldn't be shocked if he has more attempts at running tonight than he's had maybe all year, just because clearly it's something Louis Halls had a tough time with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's the secondary runs really, I mean about both QB run and and you know the scramble, the scramble and leading to that secondary not not able to fit you know, off of zone drop and not being able to the key it you know, as a linebacker if you're if you're spying them, which I'm sure we're gonna try and do and when and to be fair to coach Ingles, he has, he has those elements built into the defense. It's just when those guys, when that spy determines that you know, he's thinking that he needs to go cover the flat when he has a quarterback bearing downhill at him, that's just you got to you gotta have common sense football knowledge.
Speaker 3: I need to make this tackle.
Speaker 4: If he flips it out there to the running back that I'm supposed to be you know, covering as well, then that's somebody else's job on this play, so it's very fluid and you have to be able to react and be just you know, football players. You got to be able to make football plays.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The coach can't make every play for you, is what I would tell you, know, fans, I get it. You know, Coach English does need we need we need to have some more variability and not just sit in the same game plan if it's not working.
Speaker 3: I'm totally on board for that.
Speaker 4: But but there's some ownership here on the player's side when it comes to making tackles, when it comes to fitting where you need to and doing your assignment. You know, I'm sure you can turn the film on and see all kinds of errors galore when it comes to you know, Coach English can't make the tackles for him, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, last question for you, Cup, Obviously the game has changed quite a bit since you played. Anytime I say that, it makes you makes it sound like you're you're really old. But I'm looking back at the years when you played, and man, you are getting old. I mean, I'm a little older than you, so it's it's it's you and me both. But I swear that Charlie strong doesn't seem like it was as long ago as it actually was. But when you see guys that are taking advantage of the rules in the new world as far as hey I can, I can stop playing now and you know, essentially quit and get another year and have a chance to make some more money. I mean again, it's it's totally different now. But as a guy who you know, there was no NIL you walked on at u of L before you got a scholarship and made the career for yourself that you did, I mean again, it's different. It's been a lot of time since you know, you played. But like, I can't imagine there's many guys from your generation that that you know that don't kind of like think that's a weak thing to do for a player, despite knowing that, Hey, it's guys having ability that you guys didn't have as far as you know, having control more so than you did back in the day. But I think for former players, there's probably a lot of you know, NV saying, hey, man, I wish we'd had some NIL back when I played. But also, you know these guys now, I mean that they they they control everything more so, I mean they used to have literally no control. You guys couldn't even get jobs in the off season without the NCAA getting on you about making money you're not supposed to be making. And now these guys really run the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I mean there was I try and because I get asked the question a lot. It's what what would it be like, you know, put yourself your team, like who is some of the players?
Speaker 3: What would some of the players, would they make a business decision or you know, YadA YadA YadA.
Speaker 4: Thankfully are our uh senior year. You know, we had some to play for and we were we were down to you know, it came down of the last game, but we want you know, it started nine to zero. We had everything rolling, So I don't think we would have had an issue with that. I think everybody would have been bought in. Would they be looking forward because a lot of that talent was really young and they were like, hey that now you know, Now I'm gonna go earn Now I'm gonna go get that get that money. I guess you know, at the end of the day, it's it's uh, it's a another layer of professional sports, like a minor minor league essentially, and with players Colin Lace, I mean the greater, I mean a really good player. I mean we need him, obviously, he would love to have him. But I mean when it comes to you know, seeing seeing how he plays and and at you know, his primary position or receiver, it's like there's not all he didn't get a whole lot of separation. Like you can tell you can just see from a speed and physicality standpoint, what like an NFL type player is. And I wouldn't say that, you know, the Colin Ac.
Speaker 3: Is there, So I guess I mean I'm assuming that it's trying to to utilize you know.
Speaker 4: The little film that he has and then you know, some good big plays that he's going to go negotiate for money somewhere else next year would be my guess. Yeah, I mean it's really there's going to be a really weird drag on you know, role role player kind of positions in the NFL versus you know, key contributors in college and how long those you know, those kids will just stick around and gut it out.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's it is guaranteed you're going to have fiftiar guys like and at.
Speaker 4: That level if they've played a couple of years somewhere they'll bounce and then whenever they can see that they have another year to earn before testing the waters and then seeing what happens in the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's that's this is what's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen.
Speaker 3: It's just is what it is, and.
Speaker 4: You hate it because it's I mean, everything you preach and everything I've always talked about on the show when it comes to, you know, having pride in yourself, having pride in your team, and really believing and having that that you know, camaraderie is a team and we're all in it together.
Speaker 3: That just got with with.
Speaker 4: Decisions like this business decisions. You can't really coleheartedly say that. So that's what makes you know, professional sports different than in the collegiate the collegiate environment because you really can't say that people are out and out for themselves and even on Super Bowl runs, people are thinking about, Okay, how am I gonna you know, how am I going to equate this and more money for myself? And that's just that's from sports and a nutshell yeah.
Speaker 2: And a lot of the things that I think people got really for generations what made college sports really appealing and dare I say wholesome to people?
Speaker 3: Is now?
Speaker 2: I mean, and I'm not sure how how wholesome it ever really was, but now it's directly in your face every day as a big time college sports fan that this is in fact just a different layer of professional sports. And you know, again, I don't know how much a lot of these guys out there really did. You don't play for the name on the front. I'm sure many did, including yourself, but you know, now it's just directly in your face that it's really just transactional. I think, you know, I see if the player's perspective as far as taking advantage of what they're able to do. But I totally also understand my fans are like, what the hell? This is not what I'm this is. This is the worst guys just deciding they don't want to play. So it is a new world, no doubt. Because as always I appreciate you making time for us. Enjoy the game this evening, enjoy your weekend, and let's go Cards.
Speaker 3: Let's go Cards.
Speaker 2: Take care of brother. It's Alex Cupp former Louis vic Cardinal. Always appreciate his insight, good stuff there. I knew he was you know, I tell Cup all the time. If I played in the NFL for a day, I would let anybody I would meet, I would tell he just you know, former NFL player. Cup played in the NFL and made the fifty three man roster I think for three straight seasons, twice with Houston and then once with Buffalo, and like you know, you never know, he's humble, but yeah, he did play for for Bill O'Brien, who's gonna be on the opposing sideline tonight for Boston College. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side Alex R. White himself as we're broadcasting live from his offices here. He's gonna join us and we'll talk about a cool event that he is a part of Rad Revival which is coming up. And then also he's gonna he's gonna depose me, which I'm a little nervous for, but hopefully, hopefully I'll come through. All Right, it's Coffee and Company again coming to you live from the offices of Alex R. White Lawyers, Suit Distracted Driver dot Com. We're about halfway through. To stick with us as we get you set for the weekend again, Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety suit Distracted Driver dot com and we are now joined by the one and only Alex R. White as well as Eric Benson. And we're here to talk about a lot of things. And I'm gonna get am I gonna get deposed? Is that happening today? Alex?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You know this is my conference room, so glad you're in here.
Speaker 6: Normally, when I'm in here, I'm either taking someone's deposition or settling their case, and you don't have a case with this yet, so I thought we would just go ahead and do the deposition here.
Speaker 2: So I'm a little nervous.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I'll be able to pull through, but this will be a first time for me and we'll see, we'll see how it goes. But before we do get into that, you guys are are a part of some really cool events that take place here in the Kentucky and area, and one of them is coming up and it is the rad Revival and website, by the way, looks phenomenal. If you guys haven't checked that out, it's rad Revivalfest dot com. You were giving me some information during the break and we had talked a little bit about it beforehand. But if you guys, it's awesome to see all these phenomenal cars here that get set up, but also the cause and what you guys do to give back to to adults starting their life out of foster care, they don't have a vehicle. You guys raise money and help them get a vehicle to kind of start through adulthood. So how did this all come together? What was the real inspiration to say, Hey, this is something we want to do, we want to help people, and obviously there's many many people that could certainly benefit from this, sure.
Speaker 5: So that's why I brought Eric along.
Speaker 6: We met a few years ago through basically the car community, and Eric had some events called Cars in the Comments Norton Commas, and through our friendship the last few years, you may have noticed my friend's been sponsoring you know, things I think are cool locally, and Cars in the Commons certainly were Your brand is very visible within the Kentucky and area for sure, and Eric got this idea last year to have an eighties and nineties block party that was half car show, half just celebration of you know what.
Speaker 5: I would say, two are the best decades.
Speaker 2: Totally agree. We're on the same page there.
Speaker 6: And it was a great, great event. So then last year, you know, we've had some success with these car shows. We made some really good connections. We've we've made some friends with some local car shops and audio shops, et cetera.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just such a cool community. So I got a call. I was asked if I could kind of take the lead on this, and I said, I know, who can? I called Eric. I said, all right, here's the situation.
Speaker 6: We've got foster kids that need cars, that are aging out of care, and we're going to help them.
Speaker 5: So let's get started.
Speaker 6: We'll use our car shows as kind of you know what you've built with these as kind of a platform for some good change. And let's try to give one car away in twenty twenty four and just you know, see we're at but I think people will chip in and so excited to tell everyone that at rad Revival Saturday, we're giving away car three and four of the year.
Speaker 5: We've got a ton of great partners.
Speaker 6: The nonprofit we started is called the First Car Project, So if you go to any of our events, you'll see the First car project there.
Speaker 5: And it's been awesome. I'm just working with Eric has been fantastic.
Speaker 6: Our other board members are great, the shops that have chipped in free labor, free parts. Sometimes we've got national brands involved giving money for parts, giving money for insurance. We give six months free insurance to these kids because I mean it's expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes a long way, but it's tough.
Speaker 6: To buy insurance right now, especially when you're eighteen nineteen years old. So it's it's taken something that we have a lot of fun with with the cars and these shows that Eric's basically invented from scratch, and then it's given us a piece where we can like literally affect change an individual basis, and I just I love.
Speaker 5: It, really really glad to be proud of it. And that's why that's why Eric's here today.
Speaker 2: So, Eric, when it comes to the help you guys have got from people who work on cars mechanics, you mentioned just the different partners, is it a no brainer for them when you tell them the cause and what you guys are trying to do, because that obviously helping people in need is got to be something that's fulfilling for everybody.
Speaker 3: That does it.
Speaker 2: But to see everybody else maybe you know, maybe there's some hesitation, but that you've been able to get so many different people from different different businesses, different different spaces too, to say, yeah, I like what you guys are doing, this is awesome. I want to help out. Like that's that's got to just be the cherry on top as far as collectively having people work towards this cause that you guys put in place.
Speaker 7: That's that's spot on. You know, without them, it doesn't work right. And so what we figured out early on was the cost of insurance is insane. When I when I say that I'll share with people, it's you know, we're talking about vehicles that are ten and fifteen years old, and they can be two and three thousand dollars every six months. And so that was just really eye opening.
Speaker 5: So what we did is we.
Speaker 7: Discovered we have to have a little bit older car a little bit cheaper insurance. And what we would do is we would take that car around to each of our Passion partners and you know, get that thing serviced and ready to you know, ready to rock and hit the road. So it's been it's been a lot of fun, it's been it's been a lot of work, but at the same time, it's incredibly rewarding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can. I can certainly imagine. So I would assume both you guys have been car guys. Your whole life has been a passion and a hobby and an interest from a young age. I guess, oh yeah, so because I've seen I've seen the collection at your events and obviously some stuff that you've shared, and it's it's pretty bad. It has to be honest with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like to say my dad brought home a nineteen eighty Corvette when I was four years old, and I've been a car guy ever since.
Speaker 2: That'll do it.
Speaker 6: And I've always said, like, my favorite car is the is the Corvette. And at some point I want to have a nineteen eighty Corvette like my dad. And I mean I was probably ten years old saying.
Speaker 2: That that was the dream car.
Speaker 6: That was the dream car. So I recently bought one. I've had some conversations with my dad about it. And what's really funny is, you know, he had several cars growing up. You know, he's kind of addicted to cars. He was a car guy, So there was something else in the driveway other six to twelve months, I've been the same way. But I get this nineteen eighty Corvette.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited. I can't wait to tell my dad and I mean it's it's the Pinnacle for me, Like this is this is the car the one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he says, man, I never liked that car, did he really was? He messed with your just and you never knew that.
Speaker 5: He said that car was so slow. He said that car wouldn't fall out a.
Speaker 2: Tree fast, my goodness. And that's a punch to the gun.
Speaker 5: The car it needed a lot of work, and mine's had a lot of work. But it's it's a daily drivers.
Speaker 6: It's rounding third on being a daily driver and being you know, safe on the street hopefully, and it's it's cool, but you know it, you know, it's kind of like a no to my dad for me, of course, Yeah, very centimentdle bitch is so funny because it was not his favorite car and.
Speaker 2: You learned that after you again, it was the Pinnacle. What about you, Eric, what was what was the dream car for you as far as one that you you know, hope to eventually have and maybe you do have now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I moved here to Oldham County years ago, and uh, there wasn't many people out there like today, but there was a few folks that had a few bucks, and they always drove their Porschos down, you know, through the countryside, and I always just thought that was really cool. And so, uh, that's what I, you know, first bought when I could, was a nine to eleven. And so I enjoy that. But I also got to be honest, I enjoy the cars that I drove in high school just as much, the Volkswagens and all of those things. And and candidly, that's, you know, to bring it back to the car show, that's why I wanted to do what I did, and that is I love eighties music. I love nineties music. If you can hear my voice right now, you'll want to be there tomorrow night if you like either of those two things. And then sprinkling eighties and nineties cars in at you know, almost a couple hundred of them, we're gonna have a blast. And then the cherry on top is of course, mister Matt Hoffman, and so we're gonna have the Condor, the BMX King come into say hi, to everybody, So we're super fired up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should be. It should be a lot of fun for you guys. And I'm just curious. I feel like those who are very much into cars, it's their passion. They they buy, restore and collect if they're if they're financially in a position to do that, do you guys bring in people from like all over that want to show off the I mean what they have. I mean, I would. I I've seen some pictures of the events, and I've seen some cars that I mean mean doesn't mean they're not local, but I know I haven't seen them out on the road.
Speaker 7: So that's a great question. So what's interesting is that the Summertime show, which is Cars in the Commonwealth this year, everybody, and we'll be held in Hermitage Farms. So change, Yeah, super excited to a today and hey, what better time than a pregame show, That's right, So we're excited about that. And then and then of course this uh, this eighties nineties jam is is really all about the fun and and we're gonna try to have a good time.
Speaker 2: Smid all right, So when you say eighties nineties, I was born in eighty eight, so I don't remember the eighties, but there's a weird and there's a there's a it's called something that I can't think of nostalgia, but you've never actually experienced it, you know what? It makes sense Like I see stuff in the eighties that I didn't live through, but I feel like, oh, man, I wish life was still like that. So I love the eighties. I was. My childhood is the nineties. When you think of your your cars in the eighties nineties, which ones are your alls? Like that that stands out when you think, like when you go back in time and you think, man, this car was the coolest car on the street. I wanted one, other people had one. It was the dream car? Which ones come to mind for you guys.
Speaker 6: So I was born in eighties seven, right with you, And I remember the eighties mostly because you know, my sister's toy collection and all the games and stuff we had, you know, growing up, or the eighties stuff.
Speaker 5: I remember seeing a lot of that.
Speaker 6: But to your question, in the car, my best friend's older brother had a Nissan three hundred ZX. It's like a ninety one ninety two. That body style I think is iconic still looks awesome. Still looks modern and I love that car and we were I mean we were nine ten years old on our bikes and he's washing it out front. I just remember how cool he was washing that old Nissan three hundred ZX.
Speaker 2: And you're certainly right about how they they've maintained a modern look to where like you'll see when now and I think younger folks wouldn't believe how old that car actually is. That's a good one. I'm looking forward to talking cars with you a little bit later because I had to do a little bit of a I had to look back in cars from from the eighties and nineties to try to remember which one stood out for me. But there was a few that I'd forgotten all about that I don't see on the road anymore. And it speaks to because it's it's been so long since, you know, since we were in that era. But I would imagine that the you know, eighties, nineties like that. I feel like there's so many people that like if something is themed in those and I mean like it's it's popular among a lot of people, mostly people closer to our age. But like I would imagine, you guys get a pretty good response for folks that don't even that obviously want to support your cause, but like they want to party too, and if it's eighties nineties themes, that's gonna be you know, best case scenario for him.
Speaker 5: Here's the bad news.
Speaker 6: Okay, we are we're getting to the age where eighties and nineties is like a party theme.
Speaker 5: Or before it was just like that was just started. It was a few years ago. It was literally just in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so yeah, I mean I remember growing up there's like seventies parties and stuff as a little kid, like.
Speaker 5: Mom, do you have anything I can wear?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that too, And now.
Speaker 5: It's like, man, it's definitely time for a kildosophy. Yeah, my back is killing me.
Speaker 7: Our kids listen to it now, right, I mean my high schooler and my college they're they're listening to you.
Speaker 5: Know, eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: So that makes me feel good because I think everybody thinks that their era, their generation was like the best, but they're wrong. If it's not eighties nineties, I mean, that's just it's.
Speaker 5: Just the fact you can google that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all on the same page there, all right, So let's do this. We'll take a quick break here and then I guess we'll come back and if you have time, Alex, I'll be deposed.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I've got some hard hitting questions.
Speaker 2: I am looking forward to that. So again we're hanging out here live at the offices of Alex our White lawyers who distracted driver dot Com. Alex White with us also Eric Benson. They've got their big event coming up tomorrow. You guys heard them talk about rad Revival and really the cause. I mean, it's a lot of fun, but I obviously they help out folks in need and really good stuff. So we'll take a quick break, come back on the other side to wrap up the four o'clock hour and keep this thing rolling along. It is I was gonna say it's the Littleville Football Pregiam show. It kind of is, but it's also coffee and company and we're fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Looking forward to being deposed here for the first time by the one and only mister Alex R.
Speaker 3: White.
Speaker 2: And I'll let you do your thing. This is what you do, this is where you shine. This is the first time for me, so we'll see how I do. All right, Well, so am I and I don't know anything about how this works, So I'll just ask this question really like, I'm not gonna if I maybe stretch the truth here on some of these Could I be you know, could I get in trouble legally?
Speaker 5: Like I just want to remind you that you're under oath threat, and.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm asking essentially, like it you will be okay, Well, then then you will get nothing but the You will get nothing but the God's honest truth from me.
Speaker 6: So and if I have a question you don't understand it, I want you to ask me to rephrase it, because okay, if you do answer, I'm going to assume that you understood it and therefore that your answer is one hundred percent Actors.
Speaker 2: This makes sense, Yeah, it makes total sense.
Speaker 5: Are you any drugs or I'll call to day would affect how you answer these questions? Nope?
Speaker 3: Not yet?
Speaker 5: Okay? Do you have any memory issues or taken any medication from memory issues? Nope? Okay? All right, Well could you tell us your age?
Speaker 2: Thirty six years old?
Speaker 5: Where did you go to high school?
Speaker 2: North Bullet High School?
Speaker 5: And these questions are going to get harder as they go on. Okay, so where did you go to college?
Speaker 2: I went to three different colleges, never finished should do that. At one point I started at actually I started. My first decision when I made a college decision, was Mid Continent University, which I'm sure you've probably never heard of in near Paduca, Kentucky. I committed to play basketball there when I was a senior, and then I flipped at the last minute in April of my senior year to go to a school called Saint Catherine College. I was there for a year. Weird fact, both those schools no longer exist. How many people can say that usually if it's like a DeVry or something like that, like those schools don't usually stick around as long. However, these are schools that were around forever and have both shut down since my college days. So then I did the j CC thing for a little while, ended up at IUS briefly, and then I, you know, I started chasing this whole thing of you know, I don't even know if we called it sports media at the time, but I was like, you know what, like I can always go back to school. I haven't yet, and I've still been able to kind of, you know, not grow up and talk on the radio about sports every day. So it's a long win that answer. But that's my college story.
Speaker 6: So you said basketball drove you a couple of these universities. Yes, what position did you play?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have you well, because this is a professional setting, I was going to have you guess. I played guard. They didn't put me in the post. I was the guy that at times if there was a mismatch. I remember, they would yell things like mouse in the house when somebody was It was pretty pretty demoralizing. But yeah, I played guard. Didn't do well in the paint.
Speaker 6: So what ultimately led you to becoming the Louisville sports commentator that you are today?
Speaker 2: A lifelong diehard fan. I think the first thing I ever loved was Louisville basketball and football. And I always thought I would go and play college basketball, not like you know, at a high level, but and then I would get into coaching. And the internet really took off, and I said, you know what, like, let me share my thoughts rather it be blogging or podcasting. And I started a website called the cardinalconnect dot com in two thousand and ten and put everything I had into it, didn't have any kids yet, it wasn't married yet, but I was still with my girlfriend then my wife now, and I worked a full time job. I feel like I ran the website, did blogging, podcasting more than I worked full time at my other job. And then after a few years, I was able to get I was able to get credential access to where it made it like, you know, I was considered somebody that is media that gets to cover the team. And then it kind of just quickly took off. I was working full time at I worked in software for a while, but I was also doing you know this, and I worked for a different station and I would go after work every day nine to five, and then I would go to do radio from five thirty to seven, and it was it was awesome. It didn't feel like work. But then got married, wife got pregnant, and I realized, yeah, I probably can't keep making that sacrifice for not a whole lot of money, and you know, we got a baby on the way, and it just worked out. It worked out perfect. The day that I we left with the hospital with our daughter, I got a call about a position open at our heart and that gave me the chance to leave my other career and do this full time. So I never thought it would would turn out to what it's turned into. Never thought I would be able to even do it as long.
Speaker 3: As I have.
Speaker 2: So that's that's how it all worked out. I've been very fortunate and it you know, it is work, and I do try to put everything I have into it, but it doesn't feel like works. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: What a day you're daughters born and then you get the call the same day yep.
Speaker 2: And I'd interviewed for a job there like a year before or where I'm at now, and they had later hired somebody else. So they called me and they said they were creating a position to put me on from noon to three because it'd never been live local at that time slot before. First I thought it was a prank call, and then I realized I recognized the person who was calling. And my wife still gives me crap about this because I knew that when we left, but I didn't tell her till like five days later. I was like, what what should we do? Because it was a little bit of a financial like it was a pay cut initially, and I was thinking you know, I probably shouldn't be selfish. And she was like, if you don't, you'll never You'll never forget if you know, like you would hold it over me. And I was like, no, I wouldn't. She was like, look, if it doesn't work out, it didn't work out, but you'd be a fool not to at least give it a shot. So she's been very supportive.
Speaker 5: Glad you did. What advice would you give your sixteen year old self?
Speaker 2: Man, don't get caught up, or at least try. It's hard not to. It's impossible to not get caught up in the things you can't control, but try your best to not let things you can't control, you know, keep you from staying focused on stuff, if that makes sense. Like, there's a lot of things we spend a lot of time energy that can just be a negative thing for us overall, from productivity from a mental standpoint, and if you know you have zero control over it, you're wasting your time giving it any added thought or stress. Easier said than done. But that's that's that's what I would say.
Speaker 6: All right, So let's shift gears a little bit. You mentioned negative energy. I'll listen to your.
Speaker 5: Show all week. You're a little you're a little down.
Speaker 6: On our football team right now after the Miami game, and I understand, so I would say.
Speaker 2: I'm done on the results. I think the team is. I mean, that's what's frustrating is I think the team ax. Like, I think we got good play. I think we're better than last year, which is silly to say with the four and three record, but I watched them and I feel like they're better than they were a year ago.
Speaker 6: I did too, So I would say, after a rough week following the loss to Miami, what's the most positive thing you can say about uol's football team this season.
Speaker 2: There's a few things. I mean, quarterback play comes to mind initially because I think we've got a really, really good quarterback. Also, I mean, when you lose games, it's hard to really pull the main the main takeaway as a positive. But the three teams they've lost to are all currently top twenty in the country when it comes to strength of record. So at this point, with three losses, they've been right there with the chance to win each of those games against good teams. That's also what's made it frustrating, is that, like if you just avoid a few mistakes here and there, you might be sitting at seven zero. So first reaction that was, is Tyler Schuck. I think he's I think he's really special.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, with the Miami game is interesting because, as you know, some people might feel like the sky's right now, but two or three of those plays go the other way. And this week is just about how awesome we are and how we just beat Miami and there's nothing bad.
Speaker 2: If they didn't reverse that fumble call, I think momentum would have been in our favor to where it would have been tough for Miami to leave there with a victory.
Speaker 5: All right, So followup question, what is your favorite U of L team of all time?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you're nineteen ninety six, ninety seven Louisville basketball team, Dwan Wheed, Alvin Simms, BJ Flynn, Damian Danceler, Alex Sanders. That was the first team under Denny Crumb that I was old enough at that point to know like how it all works as far as NAA tournament rankings and all that, and that was the first team for me and really the only team, to be honest with you, that was. I mean, they lost in the eight eighth North Carolina that had Vince Carter Anton Jamison. I cried like for a day straight when it happens. That was the first team I really kind of like I understood the emotional investment that you make to be a fan of a team. It used to just be like, no matter what if they lose, I don't care. I love them when I was really little, But at that point I was I was all in, that's the that's I mean. To this day, I still I still think that team was my It was you know, it was young, but that was the most fun I had to watching the team.
Speaker 6: I think those guys were rad in the nineties. If you can just text them, tweet them, see if any of ee want to come to Rad Revival tomorrow, it's gonna be awesome and they can.
Speaker 2: Be That would just enhance the nineties vibes.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It was the best team of the nineties that they had wear.
Speaker 5: Their old jerseys.
Speaker 6: So one thing that you've talked about this week is, you know, if possible, you think it's nice for people to go to one away game a year, and this is something I try to do every year too, and I go to bunch of college football games.
Speaker 5: Last year. I think my wife and I went to eight or nine games or in the season.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was nice, really good season of fun for us. What is your favorite away game experience? What team or what what game was it?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I would say football or basketball? Or does it matter when we're in football season? Yeah, so for football all this is gonna be a bad answer because it's not. It's just a memorable experience for me. I went to see them play Memphis when I was young, uh, and it was a rivalry and I was at the time where I knew like sort of what that meant. Louisville pulled out of victory, and you know, Memphis fans weren't very nice. So the atmosphere was great, but not because like, wow, this is such a great rivalry and the tradition. I mean, it's it's not a matchup that people really would ever think of when they think of big time atmosphere. But that's that's probably the one that stood out to me where I was there as a fan and like, you know, you know, every other every play that goes your way, you're looking down the aisle to see if the guy who was talking smack earlier is sad and all that. So that's the first when that comes to mind for me.
Speaker 6: So we're basically mid season, maybe a game passed right now. How does this team improve twenty twenty four mid season? What is the dial that they turned to rebound and finish strong?
Speaker 2: Figure out how they can stop making mistakes that seem avoid. Last year's team I think developed in ability to absolutely stay locked in and win close games. Give them a chance late in the game and they would finish strong, and I think you could call it luck, but I think you can develop that skill as a team. It could be part of your identity. You find ways to win close games. This team they've done the opposite, so avoiding crucial mistakes they could come back to bite you. I mean, if that was easy to do, then nobody would make mistakes. But I really that's what's just made it so frustrating is that I don't think they're far off from being undefeated, but you are what your record is. They're four and three, and obviously that's not where you want to be. But I think it's not like they got to go out and become this totally different team or this guy's got to get substantially better from one week to the other. It's just cleaning things up, putting together a complete game. And if they can do that against Boston College tonight, I think they could go a long way. Not for you know, the perception of them, because it's a game you're supposed to win, but I think for these guys individually, if they put together a complete game and they win with a little bit of cushion, I think they could really put them in a good mindset to finish up the season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm excited Boston Collegers on the schedule now, yes, And obviously, could you want to lose any game, but sometimes a loss can be good for a team. And uh, we're basically a possession away from being unfeeded by winning all these games, one possession each game. So my hope, and I'm I tell people I'm an optimistic playing of attorney, so but.
Speaker 5: I'm also I'm well said's stick u of L fan.
Speaker 6: But my hope is, you know, winning winning on the road in any conference is hard. If they write the ship tonight, they take care of Boston College, beat the spread, beat the breaks off of them. Even then next game on schedule, we've got a historic chance against Clemson going there getting the w.
Speaker 5: That is salvaging the season.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, it's never happened before. And I know they're playing good football. They're ranked really high, but they've I mean they they've The only team they've played with a winning winning record is Virginia. So again, it's gonna be tough. Teams don't go to death Valley and went very often. But again, I think this team has the ability to do it. Now well they do it. It's again easier said than done, but that would be huge. That'll that'll get you feeling as if those three losses don't sting as much if you can pull off that win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just looking forward, That's what I'm just trying to be positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know they are too. That's all they can do. That would be awesome.
Speaker 5: All right. So what's your favorite pro team? Oh?
Speaker 2: Uh, Indiana Pacers. I'm a Pacers guy, which I was growing up in the nineties obviously. How could you not as a kid love Michael Jordan and think he's the best thing that ever happened? Oh nice, I'm sorry. Well, you know my boss at Iheart's name is Michael Jordan's so like, maybe we could I mean, I could maybe get him to come out and then you could tell people Michael Jordan will be there and you won't be telling a lie.
Speaker 5: But yeah, probably have a poster of him.
Speaker 2: So I I loved Reggie Miller and the Pacers. My dad moved Indiana when I was a kid, and I just love watching Reggie Miller play. And they became and I was probably a bigger pacerss fan when I was younger than before I became a big u of l fan. So I'm still loyal to him. I I don't love what they're doing as far as you know. They either need to tank and get get a really good draft pick or somehow get really good free agents, but they stay in the middle, and hey, it's better than being terrible. But yeah, I'm a I'm a suffering Pacer span As of late.
Speaker 6: Reggie Miller was fun to watch. I can remember him and it's like does not miss threes?
Speaker 5: It was it was exciting back to Louisville. What is your favorite Louisville restaurant?
Speaker 2: Oh, man, you're gonna get me in trouble. Thorntons is great, man, I am I tell people this from time to time, and it's it's it's not uh, it's not a good look for me. But I have the palette of a toddler, like I can I can get. I mean, I can get anything and be and be fine. Like if you've got a decent burger, some wings, pizza, like, I'll be fine. But I would say there was a restaurant that I that I remember telling people, no, this is my favorite place, but they're no longer here in Louisville. Do you remember Hopcat?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love Topcat and yes, so that was my favorite like local restaurant. But as far as I mean like place that you like, you you know, I give this place a lot of business and they're not paying me to say it. But I'm a I'm a Roosters guy. Like as far as you know, taking the kids their family, good atmosphere for watching games. There's like three different items that I really enjoyed that I could get So's. It's not fine dining by any means, but that's a regular place for me that I really really like. As far as you know, a nice steakhouse here, Jeff Ruby's is probably my go to when it comes to that.
Speaker 5: Great answers hopcat I was.
Speaker 2: Do you remember it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had like the I think they had something called like the crack Fries. I mean, it was so good. We went to Grand Rapids last year, my wife and I did, for a concert, and little did I know that they started there and there's still a few locations, so it was an unexpected trip after I thought that the place had just completely died. It was just as good as I remembered.
Speaker 5: Yeah. When I started practice, my office was on Baxter Avenue.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, right there, So that little.
Speaker 6: Corridor, like all those restaurants I was, I was in at there all the time. There's a lot of good stuff that unfortunately, you know, it comes and goes. Sure, it's a boom bust industry, all right, So rad revivals tomorrow, we're gonna have about one hundred and seventy five to two hundred cars, all of which are eighties and nineties only. You asked me this question earlier, so I'm gonna hit you back with it. What is your favorite eighties and nineties car?
Speaker 2: So this one I feel like whenever it was, it's most like you saw you saw them more than you ever did. I think was late eighties early nineties a Honda CRX. Do you know what that is?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I just thought those I mean the small hatchback. I just thought that was the coolest looking car. I can't think of what the what the website was called, but I would. I would look for hours when I was in high school at different like body kids that people would put on those cars. I thought they were coole ast.
Speaker 3: Hell.
Speaker 2: I had a couple of friends of mine who they were able to go get one from like a Junkyard, and over time they fixed them up. So it's nothing, it's you know, it's it's it's pretty rare to see them this day and age. But I love those cars.
Speaker 6: So I was a Honda fanatic. My first car, ninety two hundred Prelude. Those were all too and you know when we got our licenses fast and furious, it just came oh yeah, So it was all about the tuner. And uh I had a Honda Prelude in ninety two. I had a it was in a car wreck in that which ultimately led to me becoming a personal injury.
Speaker 2: Journey Oh really or not?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: And then I had a two thousand hand of prelude, had a Honda S two thousand, had a Honta Civic hatchback.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: But CRX is one of my all time favorites. I never had one, but my friend did, and we kind of had a rule like, all right, well, this guy's got the prelude, this guy's got the Dell soul.
Speaker 2: This I was gonna say. I had a friend who had a del Soul.
Speaker 6: You don't, you know, don't tread on, you know, Ryan's the del soul. Gad so you can't get one now. So I was the prey rouge in our little car game.
Speaker 2: You all had claimed your certain your certain types of Hondas, makes sense, and they all and those I mean, they were really and to this day, if you see one that that is taken care of and doesn't look as if it's been around as long as it has, like I think to this day, the body style, just the look holds up, it's a really really all of the all the the prelude, even some of the civics. I had a buddy who had a Civic who I mean, he was a ninety eight I think, and he had it forever. It just got rid of it not that long ago. And it's still a beautiful car. Nobody would, I mean, unless you know, you wouldn't believe it's as old as it is.
Speaker 6: The last Honda I bought, I tried to kind of relive my high school glory days. Maybe it was like an earlier midlife crisis. But shortly after I graduated u L Law school, I bought like a ninety one Honda Civic Wagon called it the Wago Van Ultra Rare. No what you know, you never saw on the front end was like the CRX, but it was four or wagon. And my girlfriend at the time, she just could not understand what the heck this car was.
Speaker 2: She didn't understand the Honda love.
Speaker 6: And I think her dad was like very concerned about this is not what I expected you to bring home when you said you were dating a lawyer.
Speaker 5: This is a hoop d what are you doing? But that car was That car was cool. All the Hondas I've had have been very very special.
Speaker 2: So that's a good story.
Speaker 6: Great answer with the CRX. All right, So we've got some we've got some stuff going on in our office. Attorneys are very opinionated and we're very competitive as well, and you know, as attorneys like you want to advocate and generally think you're always right, and obviously I am. Uh. My favorite day of the year is our annual office chili cookoff, and I've won it once and I I mean, like.
Speaker 5: One of the top five moments of my life. I understand it was I sell the trophy.
Speaker 2: It's competitive, it's a competitive space, and if you're able to prevail as the winner, there'd be a memorable moment, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: And that year, uh, the trophy was this little toilet.
Speaker 2: So like it makes sense.
Speaker 5: It was really the year I wanted to shine.
Speaker 6: So but we've had some we had some like issues with this where someone entered a white chicken chili or slash soup uh into the chili cookoff uh, and they happened to win that year they did, so obviously I banned it the next year, and.
Speaker 2: I'd have done the same thing.
Speaker 6: We've had a little bit of a you know, uprising with the locals about whether or not that was the right thing to do and if white chicken chili or what I would call soup should be allowed.
Speaker 5: In our annual chili cookoff. So your neutral party. My attorneys have asked.
Speaker 6: Me to get your opinion of a respected community member in Louisville, what the rule.
Speaker 5: On that should be.
Speaker 2: I would say that it is. I mean, you might be able to get away with it here and there. Clearly somebody did once here at your office. But I would say, you know, I would say it's not. I mean, it can be a form of chili. But when it comes to like when you really get into like the debates about chili, it's more about like, Okay, did you put noodles in it? Is it more beef based that kind of stuff? But when it's white chicken, you're just putting the name chili at the end of it. That's not really by definition what I think most people think is chili. You could call it. Let's put it this way. You put all different kinds of chili, depending on how people want to make it. You put that in front of people, they're going to know that's some type of chili. You could put white chicken chili in front of somebody and tell them that it's soup in the would and second guess you that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hey, Aaron, I know that you're listening to the show today. White chicken soup is permanently banned from the alex Or White Pillows Chili office cook off.
Speaker 2: If you called chili chili soup, people would say, why are you calling it soup? So I'm sorry to give those that are on the white Chicken chili side the bad news. But that's that's how I see it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, again, like I told you at the beginning of your under.
Speaker 2: Oath, so I said to be honest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate you speaking the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got to make sure I'm honest here, and I give myself in any trouble. I got a family at home.
Speaker 6: So the final thing that we you know, we have a lot of infighting on in our office that my attorney specifically you know, knowing that you would be here today, wanted to get your opinion on okay, and this is the cause of a lot of heartache and debate here.
Speaker 5: Who has better music, Zach Brian or the Zach Brown band man.
Speaker 2: So I think Zach Bryan is super talented, really really a good artist. I think he's real genuine. You can tell he's somebody that is very much, you know, seemingly one hundred percent involved in the creation of his of his of his art, which I respect that. It's just not really my cup of tea quite like it is everyone else's. I'm not saying he's not good. He is good. I don't dislike him. I just can't match the level that people love him, if that makes sense. And Zach the Zach Brown Band, I don't. I think when it comes to just consuming the music and listening to it, like if it's on at a party, if if if they're playing live somewhere, that would be more my vibe. So I wouldn't say that like they're better than Zach Bryan. But I think for me, as far as my preference, if I'm just trying to enjoy music, I would probably lean. I would probably lean the Zach Brown Band. And I think most people probably would disagree with me. I don't know what's your office think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think everyone disagrees. Yeah, yeah, planet pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, always trust me. He's but you know he's I mean he's right now. We were just talking about this the other day. Zach Bryan, Taylor Swift and like Morgan Wallen and maybe you throw Jelly Roll in there, like those are four people that I feel like right now have the most momentum in music as far as they'll sell out any show they're doing, and they're all great. It's just, you know, it's not it's not my cup of tea compared to others.
Speaker 5: It's hotly debated here, so it's not everyone.
Speaker 2: How many people are are anti Zach Bryant.
Speaker 5: So we have an attorney group chat.
Speaker 6: We have eleven attorneys at our office, and it's about fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: I mean, really, that's surprised me. That makes me not feel like I'm such a you know, I'm in the minority.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, and the opinions are very strong.
Speaker 2: I mean, no one, what do people not like about Zach Bryan because I think all of his music is relatively the same, which isn't a bad thing. It's it's sad. It's not much of a pick me up. I'm okay with some slower songs that you know, have good meaning and good message and whatnot. But if I'm just rolling through a new album of Zach Bryan, like, I'm probably gonna feel pretty sad afterwards, and that's not what I'm looking for. But he's certainly, he's certainly talent.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, awesome, man, Well those are those are all the questions I have for you today. Uh, you got almost all of them right.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: I'm not telling my attorneys about your answer to the Zach Bryan win because we're just running.
Speaker 5: It might kick me out.
Speaker 6: We're on opposite sides there, and I want to like maintain that I'm right about everything.
Speaker 2: Yeare, of course you're lawyer.
Speaker 3: I get.
Speaker 6: I can't give an inchest to that. I understand we're too competitive here. What is their gripes against him?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's more just that like Zach Brown Band is better would be what they say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I don't feel like many people would say that, Like I That's why I tried to dance around it slightly.
Speaker 5: To just say that, like you were taking the underdog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they have, Yeah, although I feel like there there are Zach Brown Band fans that were kind of all in on him before they became much bigger, like I have. I think I've have. Maybe I'm thinking of a different group, but I've heard people say that there was a like the it's not the same crowd, not the same amount of people, but like obviously a Dave Matthew show is something like similar to people who are paired heads that would go to Jimmy Buffet shows. I've heard that Zach Brown their group like they have like like they've got a good following and people will travel to go see him because they're really great lives. So maybe that's what I underestimated when it because I would just assume that, like I was the only person that would have preferred Zach Brown over Zach Brian. But you know, I guess I'm not in the minority.
Speaker 5: The I liked him before they were cool.
Speaker 3: Thing.
Speaker 5: A couple of sayings.
Speaker 6: One is all Rosley alex our White PLLC. And eight years ago, I was interviewing an individual who's now my office manager. She's worked here for almost a decade, and I remember early on she told me about.
Speaker 5: This guy jelly Roll.
Speaker 6: That's her silly name, and she'd played jelly Roll music like during the work day, and she talked about jelly Roll and going to concerts and showing me pictures and asking me all these questions about jelly Roll, and I'm like, you know, that's so cool.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad you like him. I have no clue who he is. And then like, you know, two three years ago, I'm listening to radio.
Speaker 6: And it's like, coming up next, jelly Role What no way, boy, someone picked that same name everywhere come out.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Apparently he was like in Louisville a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, like union halls, like doing shows, probably in front of like one hundred people. So it's certainly been a it's been a come up for him. Yeah, we were there, alex Or. White people see had employees that the ground, They saw it early.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I always now just think of jelly Bean because that's what my mother accidentally referred to him as one time, and I've just never been at when they said jelly Or. I'm like, I always go back to think to thinking of that. But Alex, I appreciate you having us out and I appreciate you being a part of the show. That was a lot of fun. And uh, let's uh, let's hope the Cards can can get a win tonight.
Speaker 5: Oh, they're don't have to hope.
Speaker 3: They're going to do it.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to do it too.
Speaker 6: Optimistic Plans attorney, optimistic football fan. It's it's going to be a great game. We're going to bounce back, and they have momentum going into that next big game.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: We're gonna believe in the power of positivity, speaking it into existence. Sorry, we need to get to a quick break. We were way too late. We'll have a little more commercial seer towards the end of the show than typically, but that's okay because you've got me coming up thirty minutes after the show once again for the pregame show, So stick around. It is Coffee and Company. We our fuel about Thornton's coming to you live from the offices of Alex R. White Lawyers. So distracted driver dot Com on Sports Talk seven ninety