Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Greatdetectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Well, before we do get started, I do want to encourage you to pick up your copy of All I Needed to Know I learned from Dragnet. We examine bluff lessons from seven more great fictional detectives and police officers, including Poirot, Frank Cannon, Jarny Dowler, and of course Sergeant Joe Friday. The book is available as an ebook in every major ebook store and also it stored on Great Detectives dot Net. Well, now it's time for today's episode of Philip Marlowe the original air date March the twenty first of nineteen fifty and the Toddle the Deep Shadow.
Speaker 2: Get this and Get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road, and those who travel had wind up in the gut of the prison of the grave. This time of bride to be a copse in a plush bungalow and a southern trawl behind a gun. All had one thing in common. They moved through the same Deep Shadow. It happened like this.
Speaker 3: From the pen of Raymond Chandler, outstanding author of crime fiction, comes his most famous character in the Adventures of Philip Marlowe. Now, with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe, we bring you tonight's exciting story, The Deep Shadow.
Speaker 2: Hello, this is Philip marlow Please, this is Marlowe.
Speaker 4: Oh my name is Harvey Kettering and I'm to be married in four hours at nine Shops.
Speaker 2: Congratulations. I hope you'll be very happy.
Speaker 4: But my bride is gone, disappeared. I need your help now.
Speaker 2: Look if you've been left waiting at the oiler, I can no, no, no, it's nothing like that.
Speaker 4: She's in trouble, mister morlow I'm sure Shirley loves me. Now, I'll pay anything you say, two three hundred anything, only get out here fast please.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute. Where is here?
Speaker 4: Thirty eight forty sun Swept Drive. It's a studio city just across the coun from Hollyood thirty Canyon.
Speaker 2: Now look, mister Kettering, right, okay, okay, all right, mister Kettering I'll see it. The address he gave me turned out to be a healthy chunk of old Spain, a whitewashed house that spread out for at least one hundred yards under a pink tiled rule. I was admitted by a butler with our eyes no shoulders in a small bay window, and they followed the leader over a cool marble ankle, beat Persian rug and inlaid Philippine mahogany. Finally, I was ushered into the ballroom, which was big enough for a highlight match. It was decked out for a wedding, from the champagne buckets and dead over ice lobsters to a pink rose covered canopy at the center, and in the middle of it all chained smoking while he worried it was my new client, Hobby kettering.
Speaker 4: Oh, mister Mallow, I'm afraid there is no moment to lose, so I'd better tell you what I know quickly. But let's step outside on the patio, all right, mister Kettering, Miss Mollow. Last night, Chirley and I won a full name, mister Kenny Doyle. Shirley Doyle. Here here's a snapshot of her. She's twenty five, blonde and as you can see, mister Marlow, very attractive.
Speaker 2: Yes, so right you started? Tell me about last night.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, we were out together at a nightclub, the blue Chip and Venturable. Of Yes, we'd never been there before yet I think that's where it started.
Speaker 2: What do you mean started?
Speaker 4: Well, when we were leaving the place about midnight, I called a cab. I was just giving the drive of Shirley's home address, the moor Park Court apartments, when suddenly she told me to get in and told the driver to start at once.
Speaker 2: You know why No.
Speaker 4: I thought perhaps she'd seen somebody coming from the club, but when I asked her about it, she said it was just her nerves. Since tomorrow is her wedding day.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 4: Then today she was supposed to call, but she didn't. At two I called her. Oh she was gone, but I talked to the day maid, she said. When she arrived, she brought in a note that had been left outside Shirley's law. There's one of those lever message pads in a box on her portrail. She said. It seemed to upset Shirley terribly. Mister Mollow, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: Look? Have you been over there to Shirley's place. No, I haven't got a key, Yes I do, all right, mister Kettering. You have the key, so let's go.
Speaker 4: But what should I do about the guests the.
Speaker 2: Nursing right now? We may be lucky.
Speaker 4: There are only three rooms, mister Marlow. What do you suggest we do?
Speaker 2: Well, first, let's look for that note. She may have left it here somewhere. You try the bedroom. I'll start with the waste basket full of papers, all right, yeah, sure, And the clinics, say, Kettering, what does Shirley do for a living?
Speaker 4: She was a receptionist, mister Marlow, with a medical clinic on run. I figure, miss Marlow. Mister Marlow, I found it, the note the maid spoke of. It's the same paper, written with a soft pencil, like the one attached to that box outside. It was on her dresser.
Speaker 2: Give it here, let's see it. Yeh, Shirley Doyle. Guess what I ran into last night? Francis Stragatto. It'sest to meet me at the corner of Ventura and WIT's at Boulevard at ten thirty.
Speaker 4: Not signed is Francis spelled with a knee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The girl's name I've never heard Shirley mention, the Francis Stregatto and a public street corner wouldn't be much of a page to check five hours after people met, would it, mister Mallow?
Speaker 2: No, it's fun, mister What have you got?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: A page torn out of the classified directory listing in theatrical agencies line threw by pencils made down the sea.
Speaker 4: The last one crossed out is Capital Artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes Drake Talent Agency next.
Speaker 4: Well, she never had anything to do with show business, mister Marlow, What do you think it means?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Uh? You going to check with the Drake Agency?
Speaker 2: No, My first stop's going to be where you were last night, the blue Chip. I know the owner already cheft, and Eddie knows an awful lot, including things that aren't always exactly his business may be able to help us if he wants to.
Speaker 4: Should I come along with tomorrow?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, you go home kidding. I'll try to deliver a bride before nine.
Speaker 4: All right? Uh? Shall I pay you now? Now? Will let it go?
Speaker 2: Cod? I have the slightest idea what I'm going to run into the snapshot of Shirley Doyle my client had given me reminded me of the kid you went to school with. You know, she had the kind of well scrubbed look you knew was quick to smile, but I knew that she could be in a lot of trouble if she was tied in it all with a dapporady shaft. After Doc, the blue Chip was one of those cozy soft lights melting on thick drapes, kind of places made you forget all about the stiff prices for limp food, but now a little better than five in the afternoon, and the wide eyed, unblinking work lights had all the cushion come hither of a union hall. In one corner, a skinny musician with a golf ball complexion was working over a clarinet, while in the middle of a dance floor was no more diameter than the hole in a candy lifesaver. A girl was standing on a piano stool. She was smoking and looking straight ahead at nothing. A red shingled hair, promise of a nose and plunged neckline tagged her as the singer on the posters outside one Miss Cocky in netherliness.
Speaker 6: The place is closed, soldier, you told me, never would have known, never mind the routine, Soldier, come to the point.
Speaker 7: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Just a few words with the bus Eddie round, No, no, he's not I about his bungalow and cold a canyon.
Speaker 7: You mean it hasn't hit the papers yet.
Speaker 2: What's the connection between Eddie and the headline?
Speaker 7: Soldier, Eddie was stabbed to death sometime this morning.
Speaker 2: You've gotta be kidding, sometime.
Speaker 7: Between nine and eleven A cups say no, so long?
Speaker 2: Hey, wait a minute, Wait a minute, cocky, Do you have any idea who did it.
Speaker 6: Except that maybe it was a day, any description on it? The law isn't gabby about things, Soldier. Believe me if you don't why it is bungalow yourself and find out.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, and morning, don't forget to have that finger for crook over his other car on that back porch rail.
Speaker 5: How gonna start the body downtown?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I guess so. We're not going to get me the smartest staring at.
Speaker 2: I am Atthews?
Speaker 4: Oh hollow Phil?
Speaker 2: What brings you up here? Curiosity? I was in the neighborhood. What's the setup here? It's supposed to be a woman could be Where do you wear this singer? Over at the blue Chip Cocky, Netherlands.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, well she's clear. She was home right up until noon, and she can prove it. This happened a little before noon, an hour or so.
Speaker 4: But it was a woman, all right.
Speaker 2: It makes you so sure, Oh, Phil fresh lips.
Speaker 8: They kind of glass in a cigarette, a kitchen knife for a murder weapon, et cetera. Also some long No, his neighbors saw a girl. Said she was young, maybe blonde. She wasn't sure. So I'll run out of here a little after eleven this morning.
Speaker 2: All this adds up to somebody in particular. Huh, well it should.
Speaker 8: Fill normal Mayetta? Who Normal Mayetta's her name was Eddie's theorist. You see, it should add.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't.
Speaker 8: She left town last night for Chicago when the one am plane.
Speaker 2: We checked it.
Speaker 8: Of course Eddie Shaft went with a lot of girls.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, just got hold of that nightcasher over at the blue Chip.
Speaker 4: Yeah what you say?
Speaker 5: Money cheft took fifty bucks and small bills out of the office safe last night. Oh what time about two am?
Speaker 2: Had it in a large Manila antelope.
Speaker 8: Yeah, nothing even close to the minil envelopes turned up here, has it?
Speaker 5: No lieutenant, but that gives us another angle to shoot at all.
Speaker 8: Right, Money passed a word to the boys. Okay, look, Monol, just a passing thought. You're sure, you're just curious. You're sure you don't want to play one and one makes.
Speaker 4: Two with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure. Lieutenant. Well, look i'll see I'll give you a call out.
Speaker 8: Wait a minute, Yeah, look, I know all about your professional ethics, you know, relations between client and private detective.
Speaker 4: We won't go into that.
Speaker 8: We're going to go into something else very briefly, Phil, You know, the law on many points is quite.
Speaker 2: Clear, Mallow clear, like what Matthews clear, Like the.
Speaker 8: Status of an accessory before or after the fact in a murder case, and like aiding and a betting a criminal, like a lot of things. You know all about film.
Speaker 2: Keep me in mind, will you, Okay Matthews, Yeah, I see it. Since the lieutenant hadn't mentioned Francis Draccato, I didn't see why I should, All of which made it a good time for me to cross my fingers and check the name which have been on deck on the list in Shirley's apartment. The Drake Talida to say the place which was on Sunset's trip was strictly coy Colonial from miliature Mount vernon front two an oversized mirror polished brass knocker on the front door that said my tie was cooked, and I was sure that the gentleman who entered the door noticed it. It was impeccable in cooco brown gabardine white hired the throat tab shirt and also coco brown, so tired and at the bottom there with thick soled cordvens with leather laces at the top of crew cut of a jet black horn rims. He took the glasses off and long soft fingers toyed with one stem while he talked. Yeah, sir, my name is Philip Marlo. I'd like to talk to mister Drake.
Speaker 4: I'm mister Drake. What was it you wanted? Mister Marlow?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not exactly sure you see I Hey Drake, this picture here is cocky and other ones right, the third one over.
Speaker 5: Yes, she's a client of ours, But this picture isn't what you came to talk about, is it.
Speaker 4: Mister Marlin?
Speaker 2: What's her home address? I beg your mind quick. It's important and confidential.
Speaker 4: This isn't a lonely high.
Speaker 2: I was playing a long shot when I knocked on your door, Drake, but now it's paid off. So tell me any stranger call for Cocky's address today?
Speaker 4: I don't know, and the secretary has already left. Look here, mister marlow.
Speaker 8: What's this all about?
Speaker 2: Murder? Mister Drake A messy one. Now do you give me the address it? Or I start after it myself? Well, I don't know. Come on, answer up, Drake.
Speaker 4: The towers an apartment Hoe.
Speaker 2: One last thing I call her after I leave, unless you want to if your handstitch, lapels and cops.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, the second act of Philip Marlowe. But first you might think that, after several years with Gracey Ellen, George Burns had seen everything, done everything, been everything. But this Wednesday Night you'll find George in a brand new role, that of a Flora Dora girl, with costume and complications by Gracey Ellen. The Burns and Allen Show has heard every Wednesday and most of these same CBS stations, along with The Bing Crosby Show and the Groucho Marx Program. Now, with our star Gerald Moore, we returned to the second act of Philip Marlowe and Tonight's story The Deep Shadow.
Speaker 2: I left the glossy mister Drake and his glossy little agency with his mouth hanging open, and drove down a Hollywood boulevard tou iyevar on. From there up the hill to a five story air conditioned monolith with Venetian blinds called the Towers Chopped about as much sanctuary as the Yankee Stadium. I parked heading downhill and walked in across the buzzing green and silver lobby Drake with pale pink curtains and blaise women to the elevator and rode up to the third floor Cocky Netherland's apartment, with the fourth down the Hall of the Right and quiet. But the door was a jar two inches, so I wrapped hard enough to swing it all the way open. The answer sounded like a cry for help from the bottom of a well. When it came again, I went in, and it took me a few seconds to realize that the noise was coming from my closet. And when I got it open, Cocky Netherlands railed out, looking like she'd been through a threshing machine. She was after the money, Who was after what money coffee? Who some dame?
Speaker 7: I didn't know her, but she who she is?
Speaker 2: Surely miss boyer? Wait a minute, it was Chirley Doyle. She'd been hiding inside near the door. She grabbed her handy oversized ash tray and let it fly. It us can't beat it. I made it to the hall just as the elevated door closed, so I took the stairs and raced it down to the lobby. I got out on the street in time to see Shirley, with a lodge Manil envelope in one hand, pile into a sleek New Hudson and take off. I ran in my car to follow over, but that was as far as I got. I was stopped, cold and nasty little gut in the hands of a Southern accent behind a pair of strictly Hollywood duck glasses.
Speaker 9: See a good boy, honey, and hold it?
Speaker 5: Sister?
Speaker 2: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 9: What do you ask the questions? If you don't mind, why are you in such your fuss over the girl who just made off.
Speaker 2: I was trying to get her out of a jam.
Speaker 5: Believe it or not, Well, now, isn't that the dawn?
Speaker 7: This coincidence?
Speaker 9: You ever saw so am I only you want to catch her and I wanted to get away. I guess that's life, isn't it, honey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the row and the row said it.
Speaker 9: We got big business together her and knee and it shouldn't include you.
Speaker 2: Just a minute, this adds like you could be Francis Dragato, which is who the Dragotto me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Oh, that name is much too fancy for the likes of me. Honey, I reckon, we can break it up now. So why didn't you just give me the keys there in your hand?
Speaker 4: My key?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's good boy.
Speaker 9: Now, don't try anything silly, and don't fred Honey, I'll eat your car two or three blocks down the street here. Look, maybe you want to go back upstairs and console little sugar child up there. Maybe take it to a movie or something, you know, the cooler.
Speaker 2: All well, that's a nice fresh thrower.
Speaker 7: Unloaded with it.
Speaker 2: Try me again sometime so long, Dames, Someday I'm gonna get a case where there's no Dames connected, either directly or indirectly. Parking my car three blocks away, that's fine, fine, just fine? Hey, hey, going up, flow up, please, sir three?
Speaker 7: Did you catch your marlow. Did you get her?
Speaker 2: No? No, she got away, which leaves you and me cocky to make cozy conversation about I mentioned a dough. You slip down when I let you out of the closet. Come on back in the room, honey, what now? Look, you worked for Eddie Schaft as a singer in his club. But what else was Eddie to you beside boss?
Speaker 7: Just a minute, I don't see what business that is of yours.
Speaker 2: It's easy, it's easy. Was murdered.
Speaker 7: The cops have already talked to me, Soldier. I'm clean.
Speaker 2: Those negotiations can be reopened at any time. Well, one thing, you forgot to tell him anything about Doe. And yet they're very interested in fifty thousand missing bucks at fifty grand was right here in the apartment, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Well you can't blame a girl for trying, Marty.
Speaker 2: Not unless she tries too hard. And what is the name? Francis tregado media, Francis tragotta? Okay, skip it, skip it. Where'd you get the dough?
Speaker 7: Eddie gave it to me? Keep flooring?
Speaker 2: Why you I thought Normamida had the inside track with.
Speaker 7: Eddie, not after he fell in love with me.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not good enough, baby. There was a double cross? Where was it? I look cocky, you might as well be smart about it.
Speaker 6: Huh, all right, I didn't kill him, but if you can get that dough back for me, I'll split it with you right down the middle.
Speaker 2: I'm listening.
Speaker 7: That club of his is dying on its feet. The blue chip's going broke. Eddie and Norma.
Speaker 6: Ma Etta raised fifty thousand dollars to keep it going, but Eddie decided to get out for Monday. He got rid of Norma by sending it to Chicago and a chumped up deal, and he put all that cash in one lump and gave it to me to hold.
Speaker 7: We're gonna run out together.
Speaker 2: Only somebody got to him, nailed him, and that left you holding the bag with fifty grand in it. That's nice, septent. A girl that belongs and this messed like a great grandmother belongs in a high hurdle race stepped in and took it away from you with the help of a Southern accent in dark glasses. Who are you calling friend of mine a homicide? Why you sit down and shut up? So if I even lucky cocky. Don't push it, Matthews, Marlow Matthews listening that Eddie chef case. I got a couple of things you might be of help to you. Now, Look, I don't want that missing fifty grand is being sought after by a Southern accent in dark glasses, a woman. Yeah, and she pulled a gun on me. Item two. The name Francis Dragatto. It ties in d R A G O T T O ring any bells, That's what I said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wait a minute, Oh yeah, yeah, I remember, yeah, yeah, but it's nothing. Mallow Graggatto Io was a third rate burglar shot and killed resisting arrest on the Sandbah district about five years ago, way back when I was a proud cossage.
Speaker 4: Look what about this to me?
Speaker 2: Grigatto have a wife? No, no, I think there was a daughter around named Francis.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that, good modo. Look what is this Gragatto?
Speaker 8: Is this anyway?
Speaker 2: Well, so far, it's a hunch, That's what I thought.
Speaker 4: Climb off of it and get down in facts, will you? Who was the name after that? Any cheft money? Where did you run into it?
Speaker 2: I lost her on Ivar.
Speaker 4: That's not what I asked you.
Speaker 2: I know that's not what you asked, but anything else will be a breach of my client's confidence.
Speaker 8: A right, look, model, I'm real serious. I'm gonna give you just one out and notify your client and get down here and spill.
Speaker 4: After that, I'm putting on a call to have you picked up for withholding evidence.
Speaker 2: Do you think, kidd in this time.
Speaker 7: You didn't say goodbye? That's quite a tight rope you walk.
Speaker 2: Mona yeah sometimes, oh good And I'm.
Speaker 7: A girl of my word. You get that money back for me, and it's fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: No, my only chance, don't kidd no kidder, baby, you're a girl of two words. Double and cross. Good night, cocky. And I found my Carol right at half a block from Sunset Boulevard. It took twenty minutes to get from there to the Sandbar District. It was downhill all the way. It was a neighborhood squeezed and cramped in by a solid wall of massive factories and its fested as the bottom of a bent garbage can. At the corner of River Street and Third I found the house, three sagging, rotten stories of tenement that squatted in the eternal shadow of a huge gas tank, like a sick, dirty old man. The proud, gleaming giant of City Hall was only seven blocks away, might just as well have been seventy miles. I went up to the door and knocked, and finally it inched open, just far enough for a face the color of dishwater to peek out. She hissed at me for a minute through the gap where her front teeth should have been, and then told me she was Ma. Haggas. The manager motioned me inside. The living room looked like something swept out the back door of it down at the Hill Museum.
Speaker 10: So you want to know about the Dragodas.
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they lived here, didn't they?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 10: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: Cops got the old man about five years ago. Possible, I became of his daughter. Where's Francis Dragotto? Why are you being so cagey about Ma?
Speaker 10: Because a verd that asks questions has got an angle, Allas.
Speaker 2: The one who knows the answer has got a price.
Speaker 10: Huh always.
Speaker 2: Okay, how far will a couple of bucks go.
Speaker 10: From here to the door? Two bucks won't even buy a buzz on beer these days.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll make it five here that's better.
Speaker 10: Well, dirt Grogoto and his kid. Francis had the second floor here for fifteen years. His wife died of TV first year they was here. Oh, she was a smart one, that Francis had a head on her. She always said she was going to get off the sandbar someday and be somebody.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 10: I told her she'd never make it. It's too far, mister. Kids down here get dirty, and it's the kind of dirt you can wipe off.
Speaker 2: It gets inside of myne No, tell me what happens to her.
Speaker 10: I don't know when her old man got it.
Speaker 4: She left.
Speaker 10: I never seen her again, not to this day. Probably left Holland wound up work on the gin meals in some other place. Well, you bought sight on the scenes, honey, tell.
Speaker 2: Me you got a picture of him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: I had good.
Speaker 10: She was seventeen at the time. It's kind of fuzzy, but you can see.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, mar are you sure this is Francis Stragotto.
Speaker 10: Hey, she lived in this dump for fifteen years. Out I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I know she looks like somebody else. Girl was supposed to get married tonight.
Speaker 10: I got another picture of Francis or someplace women a better one. Let me see now, yeah, here it is. This was took down on ola Vera Street. One of them stands, ooh, that's her best friend there with her, Norma.
Speaker 2: Maetta, Norma Mata.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 10: Norma was a tough littleg Folks drank all the time and let Norma run wild.
Speaker 2: Oh fine, Francis, Dracgotto and Norma Mata friends.
Speaker 10: I'll say them two was quite a team. I always wanted to do some for them girls. But what can you ever do in a hole like this for anybody?
Speaker 2: You've just done it. Ma here's five more by yourself. Another light bulb, throw a party with the change. It's a long The eyes of one young woman in the chin and mouth of another side by side, smiling into a camera. Had cleared up a lot of questions, but there was one more that needed an answer fast. I called Matthews from the first phone booth I came too, brought him up the date and a hurry, and then asked him to check normal I at his place. If that was blank, to meet me at the moor Park Court apartments, which was the only other likely place I could think of. I crowded traffic lights all the way out, but he and Sergeant Mooney got there almost as soon as I did, and I led them back to Francis Stregato as well as Cottage. But once she'd taken in her new name, Shirley Doyle only went to cover the back while Matthews and I moved in up front.
Speaker 8: The Hunches are playing off tonight, Mollo.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're in here all right. Yeah, come on over this way.
Speaker 4: The window's open.
Speaker 2: We could catch a little conversation first, you know, it might help. Yeah, if you keep quiet, we can in Chicago.
Speaker 9: Thanks for your hell, Francis, Dear. Yeah, I had to get this money, no more than ever. You've got it, Norma for goodbye.
Speaker 11: Now that's stuff. Shirt you're gonna marry. I'll never know where you really came from or who you really are. Oh and one more thing, dear, before I go. I killed Eddie Scheff this morning, and he put me on the plane for Chicago. I figured something was fishy, so I got off and I came back and I found out he was selling me short for that little jerk Corky, Netherlands.
Speaker 7: He had an argument.
Speaker 12: I killed him.
Speaker 5: Then I remembered.
Speaker 7: Seeing you leave the blue Chip last night.
Speaker 11: I needed someone like you to get the money for me, Francis. I couldn't afford to be seen here in La when I was supposed to be in Chicago, not with a murder on my name.
Speaker 9: But you're worst scene by that man who chased me at the hotel.
Speaker 11: He's still looking for a southern droll and dark glasses. You're the only one who knows the truth.
Speaker 5: You're with me now.
Speaker 11: I'm not gonna let you invom me the murder norma getting that money with one thing, but I'm not gonna be mixed up in at killing. I don't care what I'm gonna tell a whole fool crisis. I got a good alibi for one murder, it'll work for two.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, nobody is.
Speaker 8: Ill the girls, but police, you're not telling me. Come on, Mollo, I think she's dead.
Speaker 2: Lieutenant, you wouldn't stop.
Speaker 8: She was shooting at me. But she's a woman, all right, moning and gun on her hand. She was a killer and nothing more.
Speaker 2: I suppose she was. If you asked that kid inside, she could tell you what made it that way. Oh well, let's get out of here, Matthews.
Speaker 4: I I can't thank you enough, mister Moller, for bringing Shirley, that is France Dispeck to me safely.
Speaker 2: Oh believe me, mister Kettering, it was a real pleasure.
Speaker 4: And you, Lieutenant Matthews, for your cooperation on withholding the publicity aspects of this.
Speaker 8: Horrible Oh no, it's okay, mister Kerin, glad to help out.
Speaker 4: We're going to be married, you know. Right away. Shirley told me the story and wanted to postpone the wedding, but I wouldn't hear of it. Good. After all, I'm not marrying her for the past. I'm marrying her for the future.
Speaker 2: Eh, best wishes, mister ketterery. Yeah, maybe tomorrow, when Shirley's calmed down, give him my congratulations, will you.
Speaker 4: Ill.
Speaker 2: After a long cup of coffee and a lot of conversation about people with Matthews, I finally got my car and headed home to my apartment on Franklin Avenue, which isn't the best street in the town, but it is lined with palm trees instead of garbage cans, and the sun hits it all day long. Yeah, but that reminded me again of River Street. A deep, perpetual shadow that that hangs over it, A dirty shadow that Ma Hagas said could never be rubbed off, A shadow that spawns the nomamadas of the world. I was still thinking about it when I got ready forbid. I knew Ma wasn't one hundred percent right. I'd seen the exception of the rule that she was ninety nine percent right, just enough to disturb my sleep. Oh well, one guy can't change things, Kenny.
Speaker 3: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe Bringing You Raymond Chandler's most famous character, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman McDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Levitt. Gerald Moore may currently be seen starring in Republics The Blonde Bendit Featured in tonight's cast were Lillian Baya, Jan Banks, Verna felton Yvonne Pete, Jeff Corey, Jack Krusian, and Tom Holland. Detective Lieutenant Matthews is played by Larry Dubkin. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard Aran Assuring me with us again next week, When Philip Marlowe say.
Speaker 2: This time I started with a roominian from left field, got misled in the Philippine jungles, chased in English accent Clara Venice, and wound up at a shadow shrine with a friend from Siam, all without ever leaving Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Doctor Christian, the kindly Position of rivers End, has a most unusual case placed in his hands this Wednesday night on CBS. His patient a sixteen year old girl who's in love with an older man, and the man doctor Christian himself. CBS Courts will invite you to hear this Doctor Christian story, the Rainbow Trail, on most of these same CBS stations this Wednesday night. This is Roy Rowan speaking. This is CBS the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 12: This is Andrew Rhyns with Outrowesterns dot com. We streamed live old time radio Westerns twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, with a special twist. You select the tracks that get to be played. We've got a thousand different episodes from shows like Gunsmoke, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Escape, Genautry, and many more. Come check us out at Otrwesterns dot com slash live again. That's OTR Westerns dot com slash Live. You're listening to the great Detectives of Old Time Radio with Adam Graham and now let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Well, next week's episode sounds intriguing. As for this week's you definitely saw this focus, particularly at the time on the top of neighborhoods and situations, the family situations which often led to crime, and that theme worked its way out in the episode in a way that brought up the point without being obnoxious about it. Overall, some good twists and a fairly solid ending. It was weird though having Marlowe basically ask for an episode that was the opposite of ladies not if no women involved whatsoever or in any way related to the case. I think that was just him being cranky, though at any rate. We do turn to some listener comments and feedback and Mike Porter says that the line for the monkey's uncle was the best opening line, which, by the way, was this time I tangled with a mad scotsman, a phony English lord, in a blonde corpse in a freight house, all because of a butler who walked on his knuckles. That is pretty good, Laurence says. Adam says at the end that that was one of the worst Scottish accents, even though he was Welsh. Tutor Owen was known for playing many a Scotsman. Well, I still didn't think that was his best. Tutor Owen's done some great work, but I don't know. The Scottish accent was a bit, but it was passable, I guess all right. Well, we also have a review on iTunes and this one comes from She's on Fire FF five Rights. I've listened to this podcast for over a year now and haven't found a single podcast in old time radio that compares. Adam is very dedicated to the show, and it's obvious with his catchy enthusiasm. He is well versed in his dates and is accurate most of the time. Who are the best detectives? Personally? I love Sam Spade but haven't found anymore. Do you happen to have any more? Like the Gold Keykeeper? My copy is very scratchy in I would like to hear more Spade if you have any more. Thank you for your for quality and for making my listening time worth every minute. Well, thanks so much. We have not yet gotten into Sam Spade, but when we do, we'll definitely have a focus on bringing you the best recordings that we can. Of course, with Sam Spade, there's a lot of gaps and a lot of episodes missing, particularly from the Howard Duff era. The run by Steve Dunn is actually mostly complete with twenty three of twenty four episodes. But the Sam Spades do tend to be a little bit more iffy in quality than Marlowe and some other shows. It's just the nature of the preservation and the sort of recordings that are out there. All right, Well, that will do it for today. Join us back here tomorrow for Nick Carter, and then next Wednesday it's another episode of the Adventures of Philip marlow In the meantime, sentra comments to Box thirteen at Great to Tack Net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, slash Radiodetectives From Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham signing off.