Speaker 1: Thank you, Joe. It is eight oh four here Kentucky. This Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas maybe a little late mentioning this. I mean I've mentioned it throughout the morning, but I don't know. It's eight oh four here, so maybe there are some that are just now getting ready to get their day started. Everybody's schedules different, but a reminder that Phase two of the routine inspections of the Clark Memorial Bridge is scheduled to begin today. In Phase two is believed to be one that will and will cast some more traffic delays than Phase one, So just just keep that in mind. If you're somebody that finds yourself on the Clark Memorial Bridge at any point throughout your daily commute, you could have a little bit of traffic and that's no fun for anybody. But maybe maybe I've given you a heads up to now you know to leave earlier. You're probably not happy about that, but hey, if I can help anybody avoid traffic, that's a good thing, right at least I choose to believe that it is a good thing.
Speaker 2: I hear that from folks all the time. It's amazing with this technology.
Speaker 3: We have nick that they'll tell us either hey, thank Bobby Ellis or thank you, thank you guys for letting me know that that was blocked off, because I definitely would have went that way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when you I would say most people who have had the same commute for a while, even if you're kind of you know, not sleeping because you're driving, we got to be safe. But maybe you're you're on autopilot a little bit there you hear of an incident and you hear a road, a bridge, a street that you know that that is a part of your path, and you know, hopefully you can make arrangements and avoid a longer delay. All right, So we've been very busy this morning reacting to a big weekend. It really started with Friday evening Saturday morning news. That is horrific and that is the assassination that took place. I mean, that's that's quite literally exactly what it was. And you had a a senator. Yeah, let's see. So the guy his name I don't think I've mentioned yet this morning, not that it's you know, it's out there, but the suspect is Vance Luther Bolter. He's the fifty fifty seven year old Minnesota man who is accused of killing a state representative, Melissa Hortman and her husband Mark. They were fatally shot at their home in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. That took place at three point thirty five on Saturday morning. And then thankfully they're going to survive. But State Senator John Hoffman and his wife Avett, they were shot at their home and it's about nine miles away from where the other shooting took place, and they both survived. And it sounds like their shooting actually was first, that took place before the second shooting that of course did take the lives of those two in Brooklyn Park, Mark Hortman and Melissa Hortman. So last night they were able to capture this suspect with the help of somebody who had a trail cam set up within I guess, I don't know. I don't know the exact distance. We'll talk to Rory O'Neil of NBC New sot'll join us coming up at eight thirty. We'll get the specifics on this. But yeah, just an awful situation that of course led to a lot of the protests that were planned to take place in Minnesota. A lot of those did not happen because obviously they were on I mean, they had all resources available looking for this suspect, and thankfully last night they were able to tap rand him. But he will he's doing court today, so we'll see what comes from that, and we'll see if this individual is willing to talk. Not that there's any words that could justify his actions, but maybe he can he can share. Again, I don't think I'm trying to walk down the line here of maybe he'll give us some type of reason that will at least make it make sense. But I'm not really sure that's possible. But clearly, I think it's it's human nature to one understand the motive that could bring somebody to do something like that. So there's obviously some noise out there that he's very much He was very upset about these folks who he killed and attempted to kill, the others their their stance on abortion. So again we'll talk to Rory O'Neil coming up here at about eight thirty. Also, there were many protests across the country, the no Kings protests, and Louisville had won and it got up to about four thousand people. That's the estimated crowd that showed up downtown Louisville. It went on from noon to four pm out at Jefferson Square Park on Jefferson Street near Metro City Hall, and I felt like, just comparing the footage the pictures, it seemed as if there was a lot more folks here in this area than I would have expected. Maybe, you know, maybe the exact number four thousand is not large compared to what took place in other cities, and really that's not relevant. But what I think is the takeaway for me, and I'm only speaking for myself here, is that he had four thousand people out protesting, and yet they were able to do what they wanted to do. And it ended at four pm and nobody was arrested. And I hate to say that I was expecting people to be arrested, but I don't think anybody would have been totally stunned if at least a couple ended up maybe getting putting handcuffs taken to jail, because they did cross that line of of it going from peaceful to not peaceful. So regardless of where you stand on the protesting meaning what people are protesting about, meaning if they should even have the ability to do it where they've blocked off streets to where you can't because everybody, you know, everybody's got their own opinion. I'm not here to try to change yours, but I think collectively, wouldn't it be an obvious thing to say that with nobody getting arrested, that's the best case scenario, right. I mean, you don't want to be a city that ends up being one of the three to four where they really highlight what went on with the protests in your city, because it did cross the line, it did get to a point where, you know, I used this example earlier. A lot of a lot of law enforcement across the country they utilize horses to, you know, to get around, especially for things like this, and you know, you put your hand on a horse, that's a cop. You can't do that. I mean, you're you're asking to get arrested.
Speaker 2: Horses are pretty big characters too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you would think I'll be interested maybe next time you sit down with Dwight Mitchell from the LMPD talk about some lessons learned not just from a physical standpoint, but in crowd control. Yeah, what we learned during Brown and Taylor and what we've learned from other police departments around the country, because when it comes to protesting, goes much beyond. It goes further beyond just the physical let's block off streets and keep people restrained. There's a mental approach to this that seems to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think to your point, I mean, when it comes to the level in which you will engage as an officer with somebody protesting, I'm sure they learned a lot because you know, there's nothing wrong with engaging in them. But you also may have training that tells you but really is no there's no need to really have a you know, do your job, answer questions that need to be answered. But you know, there's really not a whole lot of good that may come from somebody that's just screaming at you, trying to antagonize you, because some people do that. And what I do like to remind folks every now and then, which I think is an obvious these people are human beings. Law enforcement. They are they they want to wrap up work and go home to their families, like that's what a lot of them do. So I think there's so many that just don't humanize law enforcement. And I wish that wasn't the case, but it.
Speaker 3: Is all right.
Speaker 1: We got an update of traffic and weather coming your way again. Sports will be with Scott coming up about eight twenty five, and then we'll talk to Rory and Neil of NBC News. So stick around right here on news Radio eight forty whas it is eight seventeen here at Kentuckyana's morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you, getting the week started. Hopefully you guys had a good weekend. I know it was a busy weekend, a lot to react to, and that's exactly what we've been doing so far this morning. You'll have another update of sports coming your way with Scott in about eight minutes. But one thing that I believe has certainly been in the news, but maybe it's just me that feels like it's a bigger deal than others or and again, everybody's got their own opinion on things. But to see that there has already been an adjustment made as far as what Donald Trump is tasking Ice to do as far as these immigration raids, I think that's pretty telling. But also, you know, not real surprise, to be honest with you, but what what is with the change is is that these these raids that have been taking place for quite some time with ICE, they now have been advised to no longer have these raids take place at farms, hotels and restaurants. So this is to me, it's almost an acknowledgment of you either didn't think it through or you were wrong. I doubt we'll ever hear that said from right from from from Donald Trump. But whenever you've got you're having to make an adjustment here to where you're still allowed, meaning if you're ICE to to have these raids take place at factories and in the streets and whatnot. But yet you're now saying, hey, we need to stop rating places that rely heavily on migrant labor. I mean, did you not realize that those industries like hotels, farms, and restaurants relied on migrant labor. I thought that was a no brainer. And I would assume that when when you put this plan in motion and you execute and have it be such a priority, that you would be aware that you're going to be rating places where if these businesses, industries really not just one specific business, but industries rely upon migrant labor. Whenever those people are snatched up and deported, that's going to impact the economy. So you're still going to see these again. This is from CBS News. They say two officials tell CBS News that the sudden shift follows complaints from growers, hotels, and trade groups who fear losing staff during peak peak summer demand. The pause does not affect the ongoing raids at factories or on city streets, but it halts plan sweeps of hundreds of food service and hospitality sites. All the agency reviews the economic impact here. So the change again, it's a sharp pivot for the Trump administration, which has vowed very much, blatantly, in your face almost that they will deport millions and and they and they don't they don't care if you're here illegally. You got to go well until until you truly. I mean, this is an acknowledgment that by the administration that we do in fact rely on these people more than they wanted us to believe.
Speaker 2: It seems well, and we've seen this before from the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: They go real hard one way and then come back the other way, and it just TikTok.
Speaker 2: For example, I was going to shut it down.
Speaker 3: Then all of a sudden, I realed it just wonders if some of these lobbyists have gotten to folks in the Trump administration said hey, you might want to rethink this. A lot of political donors got to them and said, look, I need these people.
Speaker 1: I don't know who it is, and I wouldn't be the one that would know. But there's no doubt there's some with the ability when they pick up the phone and make a call, there's there's there's much more light, there's there's a much better chance of something changing. Yeah, and whoever that is, right, whoever they are, clearly they got involved here because again this is a sharp pivot, no doubt. All right, let's get an update of traff and weather, and then we'll get an update on sports with Scott right here on news radio eight forty WHAS eight forty seven here Kentucky This Morning, News news Radio eight forty w h A s look with the cat drug in. It's mister Tony Venetti. Do you have a good Father's Day?
Speaker 4: I did. I went to see both my kids are out of town, so I got the text message, hey have your Father's Day.
Speaker 1: But you could feel how much they meant to through the text message.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Uh So I went to see I love going to the movies. Nice, I love going to the movies.
Speaker 1: So as a dad with your kids out of town, you got to you got to have like a dad day to yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah I did. Yeah, I told everybody. I was like that, what do you want? I said, leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I got to sweat my ass off at Churchill Downs chasing my kids around.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, you know what? You For years I did that to where Father's Day was about doing anything that you didn't want to do. Well, we're doing this barbecue and then we're going over to my dad's and then it's just like seven hours of stuff you didn't want to do. And I was like, and you sit there for a while. For a couple of years, you take it, and then once you get older a little bit, you're like, yeah, I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah I what about brunch. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not as seasoned of a father as you. I'm still relatively relatively new to where I've I've not hit the point where if I tell my kids, hey, no, I want you all to leave me alone. That I'm gonna sit my recliner. That wouldn't go.
Speaker 4: Well yeah yeah, no, no, no, your kids are still in What are we doing?
Speaker 2: Let's go?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's right. So we would see Mission impossible.
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 4: Oh dude, he's Tom Cruise is just a movie star. He knows how to do it. Man, it's three hours of crazy.
Speaker 1: So Tom Cruise is one of the rare and last remaining big time big name actors that still does a lot of the stunts himself. Like do people realize that, Yes, they do. It's his big calling card. So when you see the last little plane, you know he's there's two biplanes and he on one and he's got to get on the other. You know it's all him because it's all close ups of him on this plane. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: And actually it went too long to you're like, all right, get to the other plane, let's get this thing.
Speaker 1: It was just showing off.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it says he jumped from a plane with a parachute soaked inflammable liquid. Yes, ignited mid air. He did it sixteen times. Yep, I guess toget. That scene was incredible. It was incredible. That's him.
Speaker 4: Doing that. It's nuts. It's nuts, so it's worth the money. It is three hours of entertainment.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. Do we claim him? It's always been foggy to me. He is he Louisville? Is he not?
Speaker 4: He addressed it at the Oscars a couple of years ago. Okay, he said, I've lived in a lot of places, and he named three or four places, and one was Louisville, because I lived in Louisville, Kentucky for three years. He went to St. Axe, he wrestled for Saint X. So he he did claim us to a certain point.
Speaker 1: Well, then I think we should claim him, right absolutely, he's you throw it.
Speaker 4: Johnny Depp is Johnny Depp is that Owensborough, Owensboro.
Speaker 1: And then George Clooneyloney is Maysville, real small area, Mason County.
Speaker 2: Don't forget the Hutcherson's and the Jerson and then Jennifer Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jennifer Lawrence, I mean you throw in. Let's just say Louisville specifically, if we're I mean, if we have some level of ability to claim Tom Cruise, and we certainly know Jennifer Lawrence is the Louivillion I mean that's a good thing about us.
Speaker 4: She was the top billing female actors for about five years. Tom Cruise has been that forever. George Clooney was the guy for ten fifteen years. So think about it.
Speaker 1: Clooney wasn't probably still is, but he was a level of famous that was just different, you know what I mean, Like he was in the tier of just like.
Speaker 4: But here's the key. He has been single forever, right, and no kids basically because I don't know what even his relationship with the daughter of because all that scientology stuff. This guy controls every aspect of his life in every movie. And when you have that weight that you're talented, smart and willing to work harder than anywhere else on the set, and you do that with an unlimited budget, you get movies like Mission Impossible, which are which are great movies. Man, They're not terrible, they're good movies. It's fun.
Speaker 1: So was it Clooney who at one point, like it became news that he had a party and he just gave all of his close friends at the party like millions of dollars. Have you heard that? Stung?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, well you make that much money, yeah, and you come from.
Speaker 1: Like, that's so when you know you can there's no there's nothing you really can't purchase. So therefore maybe the new satisfaction is to like, it's not bringing home something that you paid a ton of money for, it's giving money to people because you know you've already spent enough to where you you no longer get satisfied by making a big lavish purchase. And he's I can't relate.
Speaker 4: And you grew up with Henry uh Henry French friend, Heather Frind Henry Heather French Henry, so they were kids together in the same area. It's more northern Kentucky. But yeah, but think about it. Johnny Depp, George Clooney for Lawrence and now we now we.
Speaker 1: Actually have movies that are being being filmed in Louisville because of the big push with you know, getting the set up at the Bolval Gardens, which is now going to mean that's just going to bring even more of those projects. So good stuff. Did you see what happened right as soon as you hit the airwaves on Friday that that semi truck hanging off the I mean it was it was during while the mayor was on the air with us. Yes, okay, so I knew that. I knew the timing had to align a little bit, which, by the way, that was great. Yeah, with his sons and the family. Yeah, that was a good way to get a good way to get Father's Day weekend started. Is Dwight with you today or is he still he's here, He'll hobble in here in a second. Well, you guys, have a good show, my friend talk soon, all right. We'll be back at it bright and early tomorrow at five am. Until then, keep it locked right here. Tony Dwight coming your way on news radio eight forty w h A. S.