Speaker 1: Seven hundl W How you doing, Gary, Jeff Walker. Good evening on this Monday night, October the twenty first. We are just barely two weeks away from election day, so there's a lot going on, you think, a lot at stake, absolutely, But I wanted to talk to you about something else at the top of tonight's show that has been a very very personal kind of issue for me and my family and for millions of people women and men across the country. October, as you know, is Breast cancer Awareness Month, and we're here nearing the tail end of this special month set aside for awareness for women and for men to get screened, particularly for breast cancer, the Pink Ribbon month of the year and all of that. And it was a couple of years ago that my wife and I got the news that yes, she indeed did have a tumor in her right breast. It was caught early. After being bugged by her doctor to go and get the enhanced mammograms, she finally did and they found it. Thank god, it was only one point five centimeters. But when it's cancer, it doesn't matter how small it is. It needs to be addressed and taken care of. Now Another Praise God moment for us was when we went into the doctor's office and doctor Michael Gunther was our doctor at Saint Elizabeth there in Edgewood.
Speaker 2: Great guy.
Speaker 1: I told this story before, but we were still in the middle of COVID protocols, especially in hospitals. We get into the room with doctor Gunther and it's just to the two of us and the doctor and a nurse and he said, do you feel like wearing these masks?
Speaker 2: And we go no. Oh.
Speaker 1: He said, please take them off, and he took his off and we were all more comfortable. And then he got out the monitor to show us exactly where they had located the tumor in the enhanced resonance imaging. And you know what they planned to do, the plan of attack, and he never suggested radiation or chemotherapy, not once. He didn't think it was necessary. He said, let's do the operation. And what wound up happening is the operation occurred. They got it all. They took out a lymph node next to where the tumor was in my wife's breast, all good, and then there was radiation, which was anybody who's been through a radiation regimen knows that it can be really tiring because they take you five days in a row or six days in a row, and then you do it the.
Speaker 2: Next week every day for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Discolored my wife's right breasts and the hair stopped growing under a white arm, right arm. But the cancer was gone, and that's all that we cared about, truly, all that we cared about.
Speaker 2: So in the aftermath.
Speaker 1: It's been almost two years now since she rang the bell and was declared cancer free, and she is going back on Thursday this week for another mammogram. And the only reason I tell you all this is just another testimonial of someone who's been personally affected by it. My family, yours, maybe two. But for those who don't know and haven't gotten screened, I know there is a percentage of people, and I tend to be one of them of suiting certain things that.
Speaker 2: Just is afraid of what they'll find out.
Speaker 1: Well, the point of the matter is if they find out early like they did with my wife's breast cancer, you know, she may never have to deal with that. We may never have to deal with that ever again in our lives. Again, praise God moment here, but just go do it. If you're I don't care what age you are, and you haven't been screened, especially for women, if you haven't gotten the enhanced Mammograham.
Speaker 2: Go do it.
Speaker 1: It literally can save your life. Not everybody's outcome is the same as my wife's, and I understand that, but the early screening was the biggest component. That and having a great doctor and staff at STY and just people that really cared a lot. And all of the prayers that many of you said in petition for my wife and for us. So I thank you again for those. Mind you, if you haven't done it yet, get checked. It really can mean everything to you. On the show tonight, David Bonson Kevin Shipp, a former CIA agent who says that the CIA not only medals in foreign elections, but has been playing dirty politics in our elections and their chosen candidate is Kamala Harris. Yeah, Carter Wren, who was a GOP political strategist. Michael Levine, the promotions guru, pr guru who always has some interesting thoughts. Sergeant Betsy brenttn Or Smith will be here from the National Police Association, Wildman Walker, and in this half hour, Tom Claven who's got a brand new book called Bandit Heaven about the Hole in the Wall, gangs and the end of the wild West criminal spreeze that we have heard so much about in history. He's got a brand new book, nonfiction. He is the nonfiction Louis Lemore of wild West history, and he will be with us on this nightcap David Bonson coming up next.
Speaker 2: You're on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Open up our live stream on the iHeartRadio app and take a look at the screen. You see that little red circle with a microphone on it. That's our talkback feature. Push it and send us your thoughts on the current topic. Something you think we should discuss door heck, even blab on about some job conspiracy nonsense.
Speaker 2: Your uncle's into the talkback feature.
Speaker 3: Check it out on seven hundred wlw's live stream on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: For generations, hardworking people have relied on Ford F Series trucks to help grow businesses, communities, families. A legacy of capability and technology that has made Ford F Series is America's best selling trucks forty seven years straight. This is the next generation of Build for Tough, based on nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: To twenty twenty three calendar year total sales. Look Alive Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: The Crown Royal Riga is headed your way Senday November third outside the pay Course Stadium, where you can pack a purple bag for charity and the chance to win tickets to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Crownrooyal dot com for rules. In more into please reresponsibility.
Speaker 6: Want to be debt free by January? Get rid of all that high interest debt and consolidate everything into one lower payment.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's the top ranked advisor. National Review contributor David Boonson. With the presidential election just two weeks election day just two weeks from tomorrow, there's been so much, so much discussed about who gets elected and how it's going to affect the United States economy. And we've heard all kinds of wild claims and predictions that if Trump is elected, the economy is going to crash and we're going to be in worse shape than we are now, which is hard to imagine. And these are narratives that being pushed by the left, obviously to get Kamala Harris elected, and that's looking more and more like that's not going to happen, which I mean, I'm praying it doesn't. But David Bonnson is with us to talk for a few minutes about how the presidential election will actually affect our economy and our pocketbooks, and it is the economy stupid after all? David Bonnson, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Well, it's great to be with you. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So what is what is the left getting wrong here when they say if Donald Trump wins the twenty twenty four presidential election and the economy is going to go straight into the sewer?
Speaker 7: Let me answer that with as much credibility as I can by saying what the right's getting wrong too, which is, you know, you made the comments hard to imagine this economy being worse, Well, of course, you know you're being somewhat tongue in cheek. We've can imagine the economy being a heck of a lot worse than this. We've seen it a.
Speaker 1: Lot well well, nineteen eighty seven, Yes, I mean I understand well.
Speaker 7: And then also about fifty percent of years over the last fifty years of at lower GDP growth where the economy is brutal. Now, is that the wage growth we were getting under President Trump? And by wage growth, I mean real wage growth. So whatever wages are doing after factoring and inflation, that is really really slowed, and that's just terrible for lower income earners. This isn't a great economy, and the housing affordability issue is one of the worst components, but it isn't the worst economy. That's the only point I'm making, and that's the uage the lefe uses that I'm criticizing. Is I say this on Fox News three or four times a week. There's no reason for those of us who are conservatives to play their game right. They are dramatizing things for political reasons, and the truth is good enough. The truth is that her vision of an opportunity economy isn't about opportunity. It's about redistribution. And for the economy to flourish, it needs to be free, and for it to be free, it needs to be less involving the government, less involving politicians. It's certainly less involving the White House.
Speaker 1: Well, and indeed, when Kamala Harris comes out with something that's clearly unconstitutional, violating every kind of civil rights law and saying that she wants to offer these forgivable loans to black men, to spore economic opportunity and then has to go back three days later when says that, you know, Tommy, you can't.
Speaker 2: Do that because that's against the law.
Speaker 1: You have to So now it's for everybody, according to them, these opportunity ec economy programs that she has supposed and suggested, what would that be, like, David Bonson, if all of a sudden, the federal government is handing out ten twenty thousand dollars in forgivable loans. In other words, they're forgivable for the people that are getting the loans, but they're not forgivable for the rest of the US taxpayers who are footing the bill for them.
Speaker 2: How would that work in the economy?
Speaker 7: Well, when President Trump did it with PPP, basically they were giving away a heck of a lot more than twenty thousand, but they had shut down the country. And so the notion of a forgivable loan is a contradiction. In terms, a forgivable loan is called a gift if it's forgiven, it wasn't. A loan alone is something that's paid back. All of us who have ever borrowed money know what the definition of a loan is. Since she's insulting our intelligence, and of course having it attached to the color of one's skin is a grotesque violation of equal protection under the law, the Civil Rights Act, and the very nature of equality is enshrined in our constitution. So it's absurd. But what does it mean to taxpayers? What does all of these things there are talking about giveaways that now I'm gonna give you the down payment on your home, I'm gonna give you money to start a business, I'm gonna give you forgivable loans. There's an awful lot of pandering going on. Again, my credibility is so important to me. I want to point out I don't like all these things thrown out there about we're gonna cut this tax and this tax for this job as well. On either side, pandering to me is just not the way to go about getting elected. But the problem the difference here is that Kamala Harris is actually suggesting that an opportunity economy is newly defined in the context to governmental nanny state control. That's the fundamental difference in the vision for the economy what President Trump did in his first term. For the most part, it's not to say I agree every single thing, but for the most part, was reduced the tax burden the businesses have so they can pay more in wages, which they did. Allow companies that had a big overseas operation to repatriot profits back on shore, which they did. They thought the Trump administration thought it would be a trillion dollars that would come back on shore. It's now so far and counting one point seven trillion dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: And they significant, They significantly deregulated. Now we have a lot more deregulation to do. I'm not a fan of targeted terrorists trying to punish certain businesses. The business tax is still too high, but he wants to bring it down to fifteen percent from the current twenty one. There's a lot of work to do still. But every single thing Harris is talking about makes the she seeks to solve worse. You do not bring down the price of housing when you're having an affordability crisis by giving people money for a down payment on a home. Subsidy pushes prices higher. And fifth graders can understand.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: So you're going to give somebody twenty five thousand dollars or whatever the number is to buy a home, and that means that the market's going to instantly price that in to the price of the home right from.
Speaker 2: The very beginning.
Speaker 1: And you're right, it's basic economics. What about you mentioned the tax cuts. To me, the biggest thing that Trump did to spur economic activity in the country and to take the reins of the federal government off was all the deregulation. And you said, We've got more deregulation to do. And if Donald Trump wins the White House, maybe it's pandering, But he said that he is going to take out that deregulation pen and get to work reversing some of the things that Biden reversed when he came into office.
Speaker 7: And I don't think that's pandering at all. I think targeting a certain profession to say I'm going to cut your taxes and not other people's taxes like that.
Speaker 2: Like the no tax on tips thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a great example, and there's others that have been floated out there too, And so I try my best to understand the reality of politics and the silly things people say when their campaigning. Ninety four percent of them never happen. So, you know, we political stuff is what it is. But here's the thing. Deregulation should be broad based. Most of it was in the first term. Most of it was across multiple sectors, multiple industries. He was not trying to pick winners and losers. And some of the stuff he's talked about here with Elon Musk Government Efficiency Task Force and some of the people that I am speaking to several times a day right now that are involved with these processes, they're very much in that reagunized vision of across the board deregulation. I don't think that's pandering. That's what you need. And deregulation where you're picking winners and losers is not deregulation. So you're right, that was probably the lowest hanging fruit of the economic agenda of his first term. And if he does end up prevailing, I'd encourage people not to get not to get cocky here. I mean, there's no question he as the momentum and on the margin. But this is a fifty to fifty country period, and sure this is going to come down to it's going to come down to turn out. It's going to come down to turn out in about five to ten counties. People keep saying states it's really five to ten counties, and I think it's going to be very close. And I do believe that that opportunity economy message of the Vice President has proven to be a dud.
Speaker 1: Well, the Chevron decision in the Supreme Court last summer was huge too, as far as taking some of the teeth of these agencies and taking some of the reins off of business.
Speaker 7: Don't you think, Well, I think it was a big deal. But I want to be clear what it did. It basically challenged the illegality of defaulting to unspoken regulation. It didn't deal with their ability to go do and clarify the regulation right, and so it kind of dared them to up the ante a little bit, which I do think is a good thing because generally when they do that, it will end up being more unpopular and it will reveal their own biases. So the Chevron matter, for in terms of the law, in terms of what you know, this clarity we ought to demand in jurisprudence, was a wonderful decision. But the defanging of the administrative state is going to take a long long time, not just one judicial ruling, And the only way to do it is just every day, wake up and cut one regulation, and then wake up the.
Speaker 1: Next day and do it again. I'm anxious to see it. David, thank you so much for your time tonight. I really appreciated a pleasure to be with you. You got it. David Bonnson on the economy and the presidential election. I love what he said about I hate the pandering on both sides, and I would tend to agree with him more of the Nightcap in just a Moment on seven hundred WLW Monday.
Speaker 2: Evening on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 1: Joining us now is all all time great Western nonfiction writer. I kind of call him the Louis Lamore of Western nonfiction.
Speaker 2: He does so many.
Speaker 1: Great, great historical works on the Old West and the frontier, the American Frontier, and he has a new book out called Bandit Heaven. He is also the New York Times bestselling author of Tombstone. I don't know if you've ever heard of that. Tom Claven join Us, Banded Heaven, The Hole in the Wall Gangs. In the final chapter of the Wild asked, good evening.
Speaker 8: Good evening, thank you for having me back on your show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The books on sale as of tomorrow officially thank you for my advance copy. And from what I have been able to see this, I mean this fits right into your Baileywick, your purview of great, great historical facts woven into pros that very few people can do, I think. But thank you for coming on.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So the Hole in the Hole in the Wall Gangs.
Speaker 1: We're talking about roberts Rus Brown's Hole, Hole in the Wall, three hideouts that collectively were known out laws as Banded Heaven during the late eighteen hundreds, rather remote locations in Wyoming and Utah, which was like they were like sanctuary cities for criminals in today's parlan you know.
Speaker 8: Use the word isolated. That was very true. The geography is what made these these places so important to the to the outlaws, and that you know, in the case of Brown's whole hole was another word at the time for a valley. So you had a valley that was surrounded by hills and mountains. There's only a couple of access ways in and out, so you guarded those. Nobody was going to get in there, especially you know, sheriffs and deputies and detectives and things like that. And Roberts Rouse was sort of like a on a plateau that you could see somebody coming from miles so it seemed like any lawman were coming coming near. You could prepare way ahead of time for some kind of ambush. And the hole in the wall was a hole in the wall. It was you can only get a horse and riders were there, maybe a small wagon, so it was easily defensive ale. So a lot of the lawmen at the time said, you know, we're not going there. We don't care what they've done. If they get there on their own and they beat us there, they could stay there and to hide out there. We're not going in there because it's just too dangerous.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and I guess part of the thinking there by law enforcement was you know, when they come out, we'll get them. They got to come out eventually, right.
Speaker 8: They figured that out finally when a few of them got ambushed, they probably said, you know what, why don't we wait on this side because at some point they're going to run out of money, or they're going to run out of women, or they'll run out of alcohol and all three, and they're going to leave there because plus, let's face it, if you're hold up in a hole in the wall, for weeks at a time. It gets pretty done boring, not like there's a triplex there because they catching the movie. So that's what eventually would happen, is they'd wait for these guys to come back out to plot their next train robbery or bank library, or just to whoop it up in town. And that's when they would have had a better chance of catching him and putting them in prison or put him in the grave.
Speaker 2: Were were these gangs?
Speaker 1: Were they like the street gangs of Venezuela or MS thirteen? Were they that notorious and that blood thirsty? Were they? Would they do anything for a score, including you know, kill a man or take a woman hostage or you know bridley rate somebody and then cut their heads off. I mean what on a scale of infamy? Where were these gangs? Most of them a scale.
Speaker 8: Together one to ten, Yeah, like maybe a four or five. There were individual outlaws who were pretty nasty people. I mean Kid Curry was part of the Hole in the Wall gang and.
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 8: But they all the time a man killer. He would shoot somebody if he felt it dangered. There were others that that John Wesley Harden was a man killer. The Dirty Day of Rudeba who was in the book is a man killer. But for the most part, the gangs did not want to kill if they didn't have to, because they feared most of the time correctly, that murder was really crossing the line. It brought down a lot of law man attention, especially if you kill if you're robbing a train, you killed the fireman or the conductor or something like that, that's going to get the railroads extra interested in extra reward money to turn and track you down. So they weren't blood thirsty at all. But there were ties when something went south and got shots were fired and sometimes people were killed, but they usually didn't go into a situation like a bank robbery intending to kill anybody.
Speaker 1: Well, if you you're talking about if you killed somebody with the railroad, the railroad had their own security outside of outside of badged lawmen. I mean, they had like Pemberton and other security people that would they would those security agencies go out and hunt for these outlaws as well as like.
Speaker 10: Sheriffs and law enforcement.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good point. When you had sheriffs and marshalls and their deputies and their assistants who were looking for the outlaws they were. They were kind of outnumbered, or at least they didn't match up well because many of them were not very well trained and they weren't really pet brave, and they didn't get paid much. But what happened was their ranks were supported by the railroads because they got really sick and tired of having thousands of dollars stalls in their trains, so they started their own detective units, so they have railroad detectives. These guys were employed to track down the outlaws and the robbers and the thieves and the rustlers and everything else. And then he had the pink oft the Detective Agency, which was that founded by Alan Pinketton who immigrant from Scotland, and he and eventually his two sons ran the agency that became a national agency. They had these offices in New York and Denver and Chicago, and they had their own detectives that Charlie Serringo was one of the most important characters in Banded Heaven. He was like their most successful. He called himself the Cowboy Detective. He would be sent to the track down the worst of criminals. It was usually successful. So that's when the tides started to turn against the outlaws when they when these other agencies and detectives got involved, because then they were a lot more than they were of the outlaws.
Speaker 1: In your first chapter of Bandit Heaven, Tom, you talk about h the Lewis and Clark expedition off from Saint Charles, Missouri in eighteen oh four. Yes, and you know, to just find out what President Jefferson had actually bought from the French with the Louisiana purchase. Yes, and so from that point forward that it not only opened up the frontier for settlers and for people who wanted, you know, to have their peace of this this unburdened wilderness, but it eventually opened up for the criminal element. I mean that's a I guess that's a natural thing that's going to happen. Wherever there are people, there is going to be crime. Is that Is that a fair assumption?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think two things happened. Two things happen. One, like you're talking about, is that you had people who are looking for fresh hunting grounds. I guess you could say outlaw with it. You know, they were wanted in Missouri, they were wanted in Texas, they were wanted in Oklahoma. They said, let me, let you see if I can try what what's available in Wyoming and Montana and Idahoa place like that. So there was, along with other kinds of professions that you're right, outlaw emigrated west also. But another thing that happened too is that beginning with after the Civil War, there was a lot of people who were leaving them East and the Midwest and the South, and they were heading west. Not so much because they were looking to be outlaw, as they were looking for opportunities to be ranchers, farmers or other kinds of jobs they could find. But then their circumstances went the wrong way for them and they became outlaws. I mean, A very good example of that is a man named Harry Logovar. Harry Logovar was left his home in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania to become a horseman, to become I guess a cowboy. You could just say. He became an excellent horse wrangler. But then things didn't work out for him as financially as he hoped, so he ended up starting to get into small time robberies and eventually he became known as the Sundance Kid. So the Sundance kid is still a better, better outlaw named than Harry Harry Logovar.
Speaker 1: So let me skip ahead to chapter five, the invasion. This is from the book Bannit Heaven by Tom Clayn, who was our guest on the Night Cap. And I did I really love this stuff. I love history, That's my thing. I love any kind of history. So to crack this open and to get a glimpse of American history in the in the Old West is really a treasure.
Speaker 2: Ello Watson ull.
Speaker 1: These These are articles portraying Ello Watson as a prostitute who accepted cattle for her favors. Is she the first prostitute in American history to get a steak dinner?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 12: Poor Ella?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 8: It was bad enough that she was She was trying to be a small rancher. Uh And with the help of her she was romantically involved another rancher and they tried to get to build a small matches and raise some cattle and become self sustaining. And the large ranch owners did not like that. They did not want this interloper in there. So they not only took her and her companion Jim, and took about some remote place and hung them for the impertance of trying to own their own operator, own ranch. But then they planted these stories in the newspapers that she was a processut. So, I mean, it's bad enough you hang the person, but you have to be smirch the reputation too. But she's one of the more interesting characters in the book because of what happened to her and her admirable effort to be a strong, willed independent to stand their own two feet. Women in in the eighteen nineties.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, in the nineteenth century, you know what I mean, many women, many feminists would claim that it was tough in the twentieth century. Well, imagine what it was like in the nineteenth You mentioned the sun Dance Kid, Tom and I go to chapter eleven entitled Companions in Crime, and the first paragraph. If asked who Butch Cassidy's best friend and chief sidekick in the outlaw gangs he led, was most people would say the sun Dance Good. The correct answer was someone who did not get prominently portrayed on the big screen. A guy named Elsie Lay. Tell me about William Ellsworth Lay and Butch Cassidy.
Speaker 8: Well, he was another one of those that set up to be a cowboy, not intented any kind of life of crime. But he and he became Wishcassidy's best friend for several years until he did get caught at first criminal activities and was sent off to prison. But this is this is the friend who accompanied Butch on some of his earliest adventures, and that became more and more criminal as they you know. The one one of the things that happened is that it's really hard to resist what seems like easy money. You know, you can you can do backbreaking job, you know, behind a plow or behind a dry goods store counter or anything like that, and and for you know, a few dollars a day. But once you've robbed that bank and you're running out of there with seventy five hundred dollars and you saddle pegs, it's kind of hard to resist that. So that's what happened a lot of times these guys they said, well, we'll do one job and that'll be it, because that will get me out of the hole. I mean, they'll take care of the death that I mean, I'll get me the branch I want to buy. But it's intoxicating, the don't have whole that cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, once you get sucked in, go ahead.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's what happened. And that's the elderly lad that happened to him. And he was good friends with Butch and they would start doing these bank jobs together until, like I said, he got caught. Another companion of Butcher's was a fellow named Kid Curry. His original name was Harvey Logan, but he became Kid Curry. Thought it was like the second coming of Billy the Kid, and he was a pretty ruthless character. Sundance did eventually become Butch Cassie's closest companion, but there are these other two guys that sort of ahead of him later in their criminal career. There was Butch and Sundance. But most people remember the movie, which is hard to believe it's fifty five years old now. It opened up in nineteen sixty nine. And that movie, which is a great movie, and it deserves all the accolades it holds up after all these years, but it's focuses very narrowly on but Cassidy and Sundance. Now you can't blame them, as you've got Paul Newman and Robert Redford up on the big screen. Who wants to know who wants to watch anything? Maybe you want to watch Katherine Ross at a place, but otherwise it's it's Paul and Redford. Do you want us to be? So a lot of these other characters, you know, Derry Dave, Rudebah, Flattens, Curry, Gunplay, Maxwell, all these others that are populated that my book Band in Heaven never got on the big screen. So this is the chance and read his chance to get the full story and they explore all amazing. I mean, I don't want to give too much away with this one character in the book, the big beag parrot George, a big big parrot winds up as a pair of shoes. Now is that a teaser or what? Want to find out how that happened?
Speaker 9: That's going to read the book?
Speaker 2: All right? All right?
Speaker 1: Who are the Wild Bunch? Because they are referenced all through the book.
Speaker 8: Right well, but cast you know there's there's a famous photograph which is included in the book, or the fort Worth five, and that was really the core of the Wild Bunch. Uh, you had Butch Cassidy was always always the leader of the gang. Then Sun gangs. You did have the Sun dance kid, you had Kid Curry, you had Ben tol Texan Kirkpatrick, and try to remember who the fourth the fifth guy was, But these were That photograph was taken when they were in Fort Worth, Texas for a wedding and they were all dressed up and had it. Really it's a really nice photograph, but it's kind of poignant too. That was the core Wild Bunch group. They they loved the photograph so much. They loved the photograph too much the way it turned out, because they started distributing copies of it to friends and Weber Air for one. Well, eventually the choice has got to the hands of law enforcement, and they started circulating among sheriffs and county sheriff and and federal marshals and saying, these are the guys you're looking for. Here's a photograph them, go out and get them.
Speaker 1: Was just like people posting on Facebook when they're committing crimes or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know it was it was an ill advised move, but they were, you know, he was feeling very powerful and it really was kind of like at the height of their power as bandits. But it was also the beginning of the end of them as bandits.
Speaker 1: You mentioned in the acknowledgement Acknowledgments to Bandit Heaven, Tom Clayn, that you know, you wouldn't have a career without the contributions of all kinds of people, librarians, curators in these Western states. How much have you extensively traveled out into these areas yourself?
Speaker 8: You know, quite a bit, especially beginning this would be thirteen years ago, in twenty eleven. I mean, I used to take a cross country trips when I was even younger, but those are just you know, being young and getting in a car and going from one coast to the other and back again. But they really spend more time specifically exploring the West and researching. His history began when I did a book with my friend Bob Drewy called The Heart of Everything that is about the Sioux Indian Leader Red Class and spending weeks on the road and listening even like it's like a small county library and sheard in Wyoming in their local history room. Very to me, you know, the kind of nerdy researcher area was very exciting to go to these original diaries that a teamster's wife kept in eighteen sixty six and things like.
Speaker 2: That, and so oh, I can't.
Speaker 8: I found it fascinating. It was just just so intoxicating to the seal as material to be fine stories that it had not been told before, he had not been told in quite a while. So I was very very fortunate to discover so much during the travels there, including in the more recent years when places like Tombstone and Dodge City and other places like that.
Speaker 1: When you go out to places like to Wyoming, to Montana and you go to some of these enclaves that have now become big tourist attractions and big attractions for people with big money to buy up branches and pieces of land, does it make you a little uh, I don't know, a little misty. Do you feel like something is being lost a little bit?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 8: Yes and no. I mean part of what the story of Banded Heaven is big ranches who were buying up all the land and wanting to keep the smaller farmers and ranches out. You know, a story like the TV show Yellow Yellowstone, which is you know about that Kevin Costen's character and his family trying to hold on to their massive branch and all these other obstacles that they face, the intrusions that they face. That was also true in the eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties out western Colorado and Utah, Wyoming and Montana, a lot of a lot of big ranches were being formed, and some of them were not even owned by Americas. They were owned by people from Europe, and they wanted to keep others out. They wanted to keep a sort of like a monopoly to themselves. So if you're seeing that today with some people buying up the big ranches, you know it's not didn't just start happening overnight. It's something that's been a peak solurs of friction in the American West for over a century.
Speaker 1: Tom Claven is the man the book has banded in Heaven. It is out tomorrow and it is my ultimate pleasure and honor to have the best selling author with us tonight. Thank you again, Tom, and great success with the books. It's on sale tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Fun for me too, Thank you again.
Speaker 2: You bet you.
Speaker 1: It's the night Cap on a Monday night, October twenty first, and we continue in mere moments on seven hundred WLW. If you missed our twenty twenty four High Heart Radio Music Festival presented by Capital War. It is the night Cap on this Monday night, October twenty first, as we ticked down the days to election day, early voting obviously going on in a lot of places in the country right now, and we are very concerned as voters and becoming more and more dubious as voters about the integrity of our elections, especially presidential elections, especially after what happened in twenty twenty. But I have a guest on who says it should be a concern for all American citizens and has been for a long long time. He was on the inside at the CIA, decorated agent and author of a book called Twilight of the Shadow Government, How Transparenty will Kill the Deep State. So that's encouraging. The title is encouraging. I'm all in favor of killing the deep state. But let's find out a little bit more about the deep state from his perspective. Former CIA agent Kevin Shipp joins us. Hello, Kevin, how are you.
Speaker 9: I'm doing great? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So yet a recent op ed in Blaze in the Blaze, how the CIA's dirty tricks shape us elections and you and God just just to get into this subject because it seems like the integrity that keep on using that word. The integrity of our election is being questioned and being attacked at every turn by numerous people who want the deep state to survive. So tell me once you know firsthand from your experience in the CIA, what the CIA has been doing.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: I mean, there have been movies and there have been books written about.
Speaker 1: The CIA meddling and foreign elections and being kind of puppet masters of who the deep state, of the shadow government in the US wanted in those positions overseas and foreign countries. But tell me what you know about in our own elections. I mean, I thought the CIA was an agency that only acted outside the borders of the US.
Speaker 9: Well, it's supposed to be, but of course it's not. In the article, I go through.
Speaker 11: Several presidential administrations and elections where the CIA has had a direct influence on the outgoing propaganda and the actual outcome of the election. And recently there's a classic example the forty two senior intelligence CIA senior intelligence officers that came out and claimed that Hunter Biden's laptop was a Russian disinformation.
Speaker 9: Which which indeed it was not. It was actual evidence.
Speaker 11: Those same forty two CI officials have come out and signed another letter stating that Donald Trump is a threat to democracy, he must be kept out of office at all costs. And an additional let's see if a seven hundred and forty one other intelligence officials have come out and signed a similar letter. So they're already trying to affect this election in favor of Kamala Harris, which of course for many of us, would be a shocking event if she was elected, and I think a direct threat to what we view as constitutional democracy. So we see with these forty two signatories and the seven hundred and forty one other national security officials, that they are already trying to influence this election against Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: And towards Kamala Harris. The CI does not have the legal or constitution authority.
Speaker 11: To do that, but as we have learned over the past years, and I've spoken on many times, they could care less whether they abide by the Constitution or not.
Speaker 1: Well, I have said, and it's pretty obvious to me and anybody who's actually objectively paying attention, Kevin Ship that Donald Trump is only a threat to the deep state, He's only a threat to the so called swamp. He is only a threat to those people who are desperately trying to hold on to power, that are unelected, that are paid by our tax dollars, and they just took they don't want to lose their gigs. I mean, because Donald Trump obviously is someone and you know, the first time around was the first time around. I think that Donald Trump had too many insiders in his first administration because he needed somebody who'd been around Washington before. And I think he learned his lesson well from that, and a second Trump administration would be a lot less heavy with those hangers on your thoughts.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that was very painful less remember what Chuck Schumer said, anybody that crosses the intelligence community, they have three ways from Sunday of getting at from going after them. Of course I've experienced that personally, but yeah, they test Donald Trump because of that. And I did a detailed program on the Russia collusion hoax and how the CI, in particular CI director John Brennan took the Steele dot c A, which was derived from Russian intelligence sources, framed it so it looked like intelligence leaked it to the national media, calling it CI intelligence, which indeed it was not, and once again was manipulating our elections and attacking Donald Trump that way. The Russia collusion hoax was a complex essentially coup against a sitting and now president elect.
Speaker 1: Was this kind of stuff going on with the CIA when George HW.
Speaker 2: Bush was there?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I've done programs on this too. Of course, George H. W. Bush was a longtime CIA officer, although he tried to conceal it, going all the way back to the Potta oil around the Cuban missile crist crisis. He was a CIO officer for decades.
Speaker 9: When he was elected vice president, that was the CIA in the White House.
Speaker 11: When he was elected president, that was the CIA in the White House, and we saw that resulted in Iran Conturan and lying to congrese.
Speaker 9: And committing multiple felonies. George H. W.
Speaker 11: Bush is probably the premier example of what I call the shadow shadow government, some called the deep state of the shadow government, deep state actually running the White House.
Speaker 1: Did you do you believe that that Dick Cheney ran the White House for Bush forty three, as many people have suggested, Yeah, tell me what you know about the former Vice president Dick Cheney, who has been another anti Trumper from the word go.
Speaker 11: Well, and of course he has to be, because he's the deep state bubblehead who was a mastermind behind a lot of the responses I'll just say, responses to nine to eleven, the nine to eleven Commission Report, which was which was a sham and was hugely behind a lot of the CIA's covert operations behind the back of Congress. He's a dark figure and that's putting it nicely.
Speaker 1: So tell me about what you know about the CIA's involvement going back as far as the Kennedy assassination in nineteen sixty three, because there have been all kinds of accusations and conspiracy theories and the like about the CIA being involved in taking out JFK.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, Well.
Speaker 11: Of course, JFK had just come out and said he was going to pull out a Vietnam, which was the CIA's crown jewel and represented about one trillion dollars in income for the CIA and its contractors, so there was a whole lot of money at taken. Secondly, the CI falsified the Gulf of Tonkin attack where they claimed the Vietnamese to attack one of our ships, when in reality no such thing happened, and they actually doctored the radar with ghost ships to make it look like the Vietnamese did attack. It was a false flag, So the entire thing that started with a false flag. Kennedy was going to stop that, pull out of that. And of course Alan Dulles, his chief enemy who we fired over the Bay of Pigs. Alan Dallas was having secret meetings with high level CI officers on ways to get rid of John F. Kennedy and get him out of office after Kennedy fired him. And it's interesting after the Kennedy assassination and photographs of the CI officer right there on the ground outside d Lee Plaza after it happened, guests who they put in charge of the Warrant Commission, which of course was a joke, was Alan Dulles, the director of the CI, was put in charge the investigation of Kennedy's murder. Dallas coached the CI witnesses, he withheld evidence, and.
Speaker 9: Basically controlled the whole thing.
Speaker 11: And that gives you an idea the power and the depth of control that the CIA has over our government.
Speaker 1: Now as the CIA actually benefited America. Because I mean, I wonder all the time, Kevin about all of these bureaucracies and departments and et cetera, et cetera, and Washington d C. You know, I think that the DHS has become an obese, unnecessary organization. For example, and I you know, all all that happened during nine to eleven basically said okay, local law enforcement and the FEDS need to be need to have a direct line of communications. Instead of setting up that direct line of communications, they set up a whole new, multi billion dollar bureaucracy in Washington, d C. More centralized government. And you know now DHS is in charge of things like ice and border patrol. And they obviously, through may Orcus and the Biden administration purposely have you know, led those to be failure organizations on purpose. So what what is the CIA ever done, positively, say, in the last fifty years for Americans?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and by the way, may Orcus makes my blood boil. But that's another subject.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got that time.
Speaker 11: The as far as the CI goes, people will say, well, you know, if you if you question the CI, because as you know, in Twilight, I'm calling for reform of the CIA and the elimination of its power of secrecy and the removal of its corporate or its covert operations. It's doing without the laws of the American people. I'm calling for that to end.
Speaker 9: So people will say, well, doesn't the CI protect us from terrorism? Wouldn't we be at risk for that?
Speaker 11: Well, the problem is I would say no, because they're doing things Congress does not approve.
Speaker 9: And also, if you want to talk.
Speaker 11: About terrorism, it was the CIA that created Osama bin Lada and al Kaeda, armed them, trained them, showed them how to blow up cars and bombs and all of that. They also helped create isis. They were responsible for the overturn of the democratically electric government in Iran, which resulted in the terrorist state of Iran.
Speaker 9: We have today. And I can go on and on and on and on about the the fou.
Speaker 11: Pause they have made under the incredible power they have of secrecy. So I would say no, that job can be done much better by the Pentagon or even the DEDA or someone else without the corruption, the secret budget that no one knows about except the Gang of Aiden.
Speaker 9: They're only fed, but the CI wants them to have.
Speaker 11: So No, if you look at the history, and I've got a long list of CI atrocities and violations, of the constitution here that are just inexcusable. So it needs to be dismantled and reformed and keep the good parts that Truman intended, like the Director of Intelligence, which is a very I worked and was trained by them, a very sharp organization for analyzing intelligences and satellite imagery and other things like that. There are parts of the say it like that, that are good. It's the covert operational side, the director of Operations of the CI, that has gone totally rogue really since it's in session.
Speaker 9: In nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 1: You mentioned John Brennan, one of the forty two CIA, former CIA operatives who signed on to the fact that the Russian or that the Biden laptop was nothing but Russian disinformation and they vowed that that was the true. And you mentioned John Brennan. What always astounded me was, how does someone who in there in their adult life was a card caring member of the Communist Party, how do we put him in charge of this top intelligence agency within our own government.
Speaker 2: What was the thing about here?
Speaker 11: I'm sorry enough to you there, Yeah, I have to take CI is an extremely progressive left wing organization, and so Brennan was kind of a good fit for that philosophy. And I remember when I was back in nineteen ninety four, way back then, when I.
Speaker 9: Was there, we were ordered into a conference room and told that this came down from the Director.
Speaker 11: To CIA, that no CIA employee could say Merry Christmas, and CI office spaces could not have a major scene on their desk or any decorations whatsoever on their door, or they'd face administrative penalties.
Speaker 9: So it's been progressive and leftist sance way back then. It is now too an extreme.
Speaker 11: We can even see the quote unquote woke side of the CIA, which is now dumbing it down even further.
Speaker 9: So it has been left wing along the same kind.
Speaker 11: Of ideology of John Brennan, going way way way back, so that those two were a perfect fit.
Speaker 2: Mike Pompeo good guy or not.
Speaker 11: You know, it's really puzzling because I understand Mike Pompeo gradually a west point from a guy who knows.
Speaker 9: Him well, is a good man.
Speaker 11: The problem with Mike POMPEII, and this happens when he became director of the CIA, he went rogue.
Speaker 9: Like happens it happened to me.
Speaker 11: For five years, they start working on you and you start seeing things their way, and they're very good at doing that, and avently to Mike Pompeo put out an order for the assassination of Julian Assange, that is the first thing. And Mike Pompeo also called Tucker Carlson, threatened him with the rest if he didn't stop talking about Assange and other things. And sadly that was Mike Pompeo that did that. Now, later he came out and said, well, I could have done better at trying to reform the CIA. Well, I don't think he tried at all, because.
Speaker 9: I know it's virtually impossible to do that. But so you know, it's kind of a double led sword.
Speaker 2: There, all right.
Speaker 1: So your book, Twilight of the Shadow Government, how transparency will kill the Deep State? How confident are you that the deep state can be unseated from you knows its covert power and be rooted out and reformed. If reform is the answer, if not dismantlement, that's a great question.
Speaker 11: I'm convinced enough. I took the risk when I wrote From the Company's Shadows. The CIA redacted or blacked out large swaths of unclassified information that showed their criminal activity.
Speaker 9: So when I wrote Twilight of the saut of Government, I knew they were going to do.
Speaker 11: That again to this manuscript and black everything out against them. So I defied my CIA secrecy agreement and sent this to the publisher for publication. Anyway, and I've already got my first threat. I'm the only one that can go after because I'm the only one that signed their paperwork. But I have consciously accepted that risk so I can get this out to the American people. And that resulted in Twilight of the Shadow Government. So and in the book, I make the case, especially towards the end. I get twelve points for CI reform, and then I say, really the last point, the only thing we can do. There has to be an avalanche of public outrage for reform of the CIA, and there has to be outrage and pressure on the congressman and senators who have done nothing to reform it and will do nothing because it means the destruction of their career. Essentially, people need to start putting pressure on their congressman and senators to begin investigating the CI and calling the CI into question. And those congressmen and senators, some of which are in the pocket of the.
Speaker 9: CI and that's a whole other program.
Speaker 11: But if those Congressmen and senators don't do it, then the people need to fire them.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the human penis with ears known as the head of the DHS.
Speaker 2: Since you said that may Ericus makes your blood.
Speaker 9: Boiling, you know you got two hours?
Speaker 2: No I did. Actually I got about thirty forty seconds.
Speaker 11: The guy has no soul, well, no ethics, no moral compass, no nothing.
Speaker 9: He is a complete puppet.
Speaker 11: Of the Biden administration and will do anything they say and do whatever they order him to do. He needs to be in peach sooner rather than later. And if we get a non Kamala Harris administration, I'm sure that'll be the first thing that happens.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Trump was famous for saying you're fired on TV for years, Hopefully he can do this in real.
Speaker 2: Life with characters. So I see that Alejandro.
Speaker 1: Majorcus Kevin Ship, former CIA agent, author of the book Twilight of the Shadow Government, How Transparency Will Kill the Deep State? And I pray that it's so. And thank you so much for being a part of the show tonight.
Speaker 2: Kevin enjoyed it.
Speaker 9: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You bet you it's the Nightcap and it continues in moments on seven hundred WLW you l.
Speaker 2: W Garry Jeff welcoming back.
Speaker 1: I guess we have had on several occasions because she's just that good. Hired Sergeant Betsy Brentnor Smith, who is the spokesperson for the National Police Association, a nonprofit that supports law enforcement officers around the country. She started as a police dispatcher when she was seventeen, how about that, and did everything from patrol to investigations, to narcotics, juvenile hostage negotiation, crime prevention K nine field training and it has been a law enforcement trainer for over twenty years now. And Betsy, tonight, we're talking about the FBI crime statistics that have been released in the last year here in a presidential election year, that say, and have said over and over again repeatedly, that violent crime is down under Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Don't believe you're lion eyes.
Speaker 1: And now, just like employment numbers, they've had to revise those to show that violent crime has actually been up in the last three and an half years.
Speaker 2: And good evening.
Speaker 1: If you want to speak to that or anything else, the floor is yours.
Speaker 13: Welcome, Well thanks so much for having me. Isn't it interesting that even though the rest of us were sounding the alarm that crime was rising, we were told even in a presidential debate that in reality a crime was going down.
Speaker 7: But the FBI, who.
Speaker 13: Has unfortunately become ridiculously unreliable when it comes to things like this, they kind of lost about eighty thousand violent crimes. So in reality, robbery is up, murder is up, car theft and car jacking are up in almost every major blue city in this country. And by the way, retail theft in twenty twenty two, and understand all these statistics are from twenty twenty two, has cost retailers over seven billion, seven billion with a bee since twenty twenty So, well, trime is not you know, it's not down.
Speaker 1: You got to look at businesses and what they have been forced to do in response to this retail theft. Today, Walgreens just announced they are closing twelve hundred more locations lower earning locations, and the biggest reason is because of this unchecked retail theft and the fact that they have to put everything in cased in plastic. You know who has employees to be ready with keys all around the store to make sure that you're not being stolen blind from.
Speaker 2: And there are many reasons for this there.
Speaker 1: The no cash bail California is the voters there are finally seeing the light about nine hundred and fifty dollars limit you can take without being arrested for anything, basically.
Speaker 2: The figures.
Speaker 1: Last year, the FBI reported America's violent crime rate fell by one point seven percent, as you said, but the revision shows it's increased by almost five percent, so they're playing with the numbers again, fast and loose. As you mentioned, the FBI has become a messination of the deep state and the establishment in Washington, d C. In the swamp and they just continue to Basically, the Federal Bureau of Incompetence has proven that they are just that in time after time after time, and they are a political organization, not a law enforcement organization anymore.
Speaker 2: Is that too strong?
Speaker 13: I don't think it's too strong. You know, I've worked with FBI agents on the ground, you know, for decades, and they have terrific you know, agents that actually do police work. But you know that the headquarters in Washington.
Speaker 12: D C.
Speaker 13: Is incredibly swampy, and I think one of my biggest frustrations with these revised crime numbers is that initially the FBI tried to blame local law enforcement, said, well, it's local law enforcement didn't understand our new system. They changed from something called uniform crime reporting in twenty twenty two to something called DIVERS the National Incident Based Reporting System. They said, oh, local law enforcement didn't really catch on. In reality, only about forty percent of law enforcement agencies even report these numbers to the FBI, in large part because they don't have the time and the staffing to be able to do it. Because again we go back to twenty twenty and the demonization, the vilification of the American law enforcement officer, the defunding of our agencies, remember in part thanks to federal officials who are now in charge, and so you know, we have got to prioritize what we're doing in our local law enforcement agencies. So even agencies as large as LAPD are not reporting these crime statistics to the FBI because they just don't have the staffing to do it. So blaming local law enforcement, remember that's what happened in Butler, Pennsylvania's your Secret Service tried to blame local law enforcement, when in reality, as we now know with the report that just came out, that it was absolutely the federal government Secret Service who was problematic. So don't believe your lion eyes, folks, as they told you, primarily is on the rise.
Speaker 10: Don't believe the federal government right now.
Speaker 2: Well, and then.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, and it's the same thing with Secret Service that you mentioned with the FBI. The agents that are out there on the front lines generally are doing a great job and they care about protecting and serving.
Speaker 2: But it's at the top in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: And this obese federal government that only exists to keep itself alive, basically feeding off the rest of us, that is the problem. Now, do you think, Betsy and I have a feeling the way you're going to vote or have voted, But do you think that President Trump, if elected, can you know, as he's mentioned, actually route this corruption and this lack of enforcement out.
Speaker 2: Of official Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: It's so large, and it's so systematic, and it's one of the reasons why the establishment in our federal government certainly does not want him to win because they don't want to lose their cake job and their power.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, the National Police Station doesn't get involved in candidates, but I will say that the policies that I have read coming out of the Trump campaign indicate that they want to bring state, local, and yes, federal law enforcement back to its noblest nature. In other words, that federal law enforcement's job will go back to doing police work, because that's exactly what needs to happen. I mean, we need a robust federal law enforcement, but we don't want federal law enforcement to take over for state, county, and local law enforcement. We want to see policies, and that's why it's so important as a voter not to just get eaten up with who's going to be president, but take a look at your local elections, your mayor, your county board of supervisors, your town council. That's who controls your local law enforcement. And law enforcement is decentralized for a reason. It's constitutional, and so we need to we need to go back to that. In my opinion, all around this nation.
Speaker 2: I agree. Amen.
Speaker 1: Hallelujah sister, thanks thanks for preaching the truth. The National Police Association. What are you currently doing with the National Police Association to support our law enforcement officers around the country?
Speaker 13: I'll tell you what, if everybody we'd go to our website, nationalpolice dot org, National police dot org. We have a team of lawyers, we have a team of writers. Sign up for that newsletter, take a look at what we're doing. We even have a great free homeschool program that you can download. We have a terrific presence on social media, both on x and on Facebook. And if you can hit that donate button and help us, help not just the American law enforcement officer, but those citizens who support us.
Speaker 1: Betsy Branner Smith, thank you so much, National Police Association.
Speaker 2: You heard her, go to the website. Thanks for being on the show tonight, Bets.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 6: Want to be debt free by January. Get rid of all that high interest debt and consolidate everything into one lower payment. Hey, it's Eddie, a media expert also has been called the PR Guru. This is that's that's a heck of a title right there in and of itself, and he's been on the show before. We welcome him back tonight for a few minutes. Michael Levine, welcome back to the Nightcap here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: Brother, thank you very much. Oh sheerly.
Speaker 2: Thank you for ensuring your valuable.
Speaker 12: Thank you for assuring your valuable audience. Let's uh, let's talk straight to some good people.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: You've written this piece about Generation Z gen Z, and the title of the piece is Adolf Hitler had some good ideas in heir quotes, one fifth of gen Z Americans believe according to a new poll, and we got polls about everything, and this one is extremely disturbing to me, is and it kind of goes in hand, Michael, with the fact that there's other polls which are kind of indicative of this kind of thought pattern, have shown that gen Z does not believe an absolute free speech either. They think that a certain speech should be quashed.
Speaker 12: So that's what the bulls say, and it's also deeply frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think they kind of go hand in hand with that, with that thought pattern that, Okay, maybe freedom, absolute freedom for every individual isn't isn't the best thing. We need some totalitarian control and maybe some death and maybe some maybe some ovens, you know, to get rid of the undesirables or the deplorables.
Speaker 2: Or whatever they're going to call them.
Speaker 1: I mean, what what did this say, and what did you write about this particular topic in your piece.
Speaker 14: Well, friend, first of all, it is hard to get past the headline. It's hard to get past the shock and depression that one feels when they recognize.
Speaker 12: That a large number, now not a majority, but a growing number of young people have some ideas that are deeply antithetical to the society in which we were born, and the society that most people in the world thought was the hope of humanity, that's the society called America. Unfortunately, through a process it would appear to me of either bad or no parenting parents who have made a decision to try to be their kids' friends, not their kids instructors, particularly morally. Then in education that starts in kindergarten and goes right up to college, where right and wrong is simply a matter of opinion. And I guess that could might be traced back to removing the Ten Commandments out of schools and all kinds of things. And then, of course you go to elite universities and you see not no longer fine education, but terribly effective in doctrination. I mean, when you saw some of the stuff that was going on at these elite universities, Harvard, Columbia and many others. You don't know if you're watching a horror movie or this is a Twilight Zone episode, or you're not quite sure. So I know there's a lot of despair in what I'm saying, and I think appropriately so. But on the other hand, some people feel the darkest shower comes right before the dawn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I happen to be one of those people that have a hopeful, optimistic view of what you've just described.
Speaker 12: This dart too hard to understand given the numbers, But go ahead.
Speaker 1: This dark dystopian present that you're talking about and that we see on a regular basis, whether it be and.
Speaker 12: That we created. By the way, it's so easy, isn't it for us to sit in a room, an air conditioned room, and blame politicians. But if you recognize that politics is nothing more than culture downstream, that we elected these people, we donated to these people, we applauded these people, we re elected these people, then the blame, it would seem to me, resides much more in us than in them.
Speaker 1: It's the darkest part that you're pointing out that I'm poorting. I'm looking towards the dawn, and it's always darkest before dawn, and I believe that dawn is coming. But you're right, it has to take an act of not only God but also parents and educators to turn this around. When we live into a society where basically eugenics is preached and as a right via abortion and unabated abortion and planned parenthood for over one hundred years, Michael, that is the same philosophy that Hitler had, was that some people are inferior to others and they must be eliminated. And the abortion mills in this country are nothing but a hitler esque reminder of that.
Speaker 14: I think, well, friend, look, I'm a political independent.
Speaker 12: I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I'm what I guess would be called a radical pragmatist. I want to know what the hell works for society to not only remake it great again, but to understand the fundamental principles that went into its greatness. Right, there were certain precepts and if we don't readopt some of these and throw many of the toxic notions in the garbage can of history, I don't share your optimism, dear brother. If we're going to continue down this path of ideas that have failed horribly and just praise them as you know, in some kind of gaslighting experiment. I don't have hope. I have a dark feeling. On the other hand, if we can say, okay, we tried that. It may have had the best of intention, but it was prove naive and impossible to achieve, and so we're going to change course, okay, then then I have hope.
Speaker 1: If you point out to a Marxist or a Socialist that it's never worked where it's been tried in the past, they go, well, they just didn't do it correctly.
Speaker 12: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 1: But if you get you're talking about the basic precepts and the principles that America was founded on, Michael, then getting back getting back to the Constitution as a literal document that was you know, set in stone. You get back to those kind of principles and you start teaching them to the next generations, then you don't have this.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 12: I think you're I think you're right. And I think if somebody were to go on.
Speaker 15: YouTube today and relook at Ronald Reagan's farewell address to the Nation where he said we are just one generation away from losing it all.
Speaker 12: I think he proved prophetic. We we got much more interested in what's a nice word for nonsense? In Netflix and Instagram and TikTok, and we turned our backs on reading history, and we turned our backs on discipline and you know, the kinds of fundamental things that made our nation exceptional. Now all people, but too many, far too many. We got a generation mostly of minorities, hooked on this idea of victimhood about as I mean, if you said to me, Michael, which do you think is worth worse for minority kids? Get him hooked on the logic of they are victims for life or crack cocaine, which would be worse to them? I'd say, can I think about it for a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, Michael Levine, My time's up? Unfortunately, okay, all.
Speaker 12: Right, friend, till the next was of value?
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Oh you're a good man.
Speaker 12: And to the opportunity.
Speaker 2: I'm a little depressed now.
Speaker 1: Into another hour of night cap on a Monday night, October the twenty first, twenty twenty four, Gary Jeff Walker with you on seven hundred WLW and joining us as he is wont to do on many Monday Nights is the one and only sports commando, the wild Man, Dennis Wildman Walker, How.
Speaker 2: You doing who day and all of that? What's going on, Dennis?
Speaker 10: Well, I'm doing real good gause. Anytime I can talk about a Bengals victory is a good thing. I mean, the vision win, a conference win, and the end of the six game losing Street and Cleveland. All is good right now and Bengal lane.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that a franchise, any franchise in the NFL, can be as snake bit at the quarterback position as the Cleveland Browns. They do it to themselves with some of their decisions and draft picks and signings, which is kind of the case this time. The signing of Deshaun Watson, which I scoffed at from the very beginning, for the moment I heard it, They're gonna guarantee him this much money. They're gonna pay him two hundred and fifty million dollars. The guy hasn't even played a full season in the NFL. He had a few good games, and then yesterday, and my wife and I are watching, and probably anybody who was watching that when he went down yesterday, we knew it was an achilles, which is just and if he snapped the achilles, I mean, I don't know that he'll he'll be right again. Wild Man. What is it with the Browns? And I know it's great for the Bengals, but what is it with this franchise in Cleveland? Ever since they came back to the NFL, They've gotten into a couple of playoffs, but other than that, they just have the worst luck with quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 10: The football gods have not been good to the Cleveland Browns since they've you know, rejoined the National Football League. They haven't. I mean that's not the only you know, they've had some other bad decisions, but a lot of it is football related. They have had some good personnel in there. I mean, they had Bill Belichick and one time as their head coach and they let him go. So a lot of it is on ownership. They've had two ownership groups. I think since they returned to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: How many general managers have they gone through?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: A lot. And it is sad because I mean, I'm not rooting for the Browns when the Bengals and the Browns are playing, but I grew up as a Browns fan. I mean's you know, I grew up as a Browns fan. Man. I remember the nineteen sixty four NFL Championship like it was yesterday because we didn't have the bank. I remember watching it block of white TV. You got three channels, you know, right, Frank Ryan and Gary Collins and Jim Jim Brown the greatest football player ever ever, Jim Brown, the greatest football player ever. And then to see this franchise the way it is now, good Lord, and then not only you know, Gary just talking about the injuries, what about all the bad luck and games that they've had. The fumble by Ernest Binder, Oh my god, the pick six on Brian Sipe, Oh my god. It's just it's just it's a mess.
Speaker 2: It's one.
Speaker 1: It's one thing after another with this franchise. And since they've returned to the NFL to Cleveland, how many quarterbacks have been starting for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: You know what they've had. They've had no list, They've had Morse.
Speaker 1: They've had Morse starting quarterbacks in the time they've been back than I have had producers on my Saturday morning show in the twenty seven and a half, which is like twenty eight or twenty different producers, you know, and they're like said, Gary, Jeff, we got you a good one this time. He's young, but he should be with you for a couple of years. And he's gone in three months, either he quits or they move him somewhere else.
Speaker 2: But it's the same thing with the Browns.
Speaker 1: They have had more starting quarterbacks, and I've had young producers on my Saturday morning show wild Man, which is crazy.
Speaker 10: It is bizarre. I remember seeing that total. I don't know what it's up to. I remember some of them starting quarterbacks who played maybe a three or four games, but they always seem to beat the Bengals. The's no name quarterbacks, Yeah, had no name quarterbacks would always beat the Bengals.
Speaker 1: Do you think if instead of starting Deshaun Watson they had started the kid, the DTJ or DTR kid that came in the backup, who was the third string quarterback. I mean, they've got Jamis Winston on the roster who was.
Speaker 10: He moved the team pretty well. And I know Dave sent Dave Lapman was saying, you know, had he started the game, it could have been a different outcome for the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Bengals could not get moving on offense in the first half at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not for the Charlie Jones house spectacular.
Speaker 1: Was Charlie Jones one hundred yards to start the game?
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 10: Well, and you know that kickoff return was only I think maybe his third kickoff return. Says he's been with the Bengals because they've been using just on punt returns. And that scene that opened up a special teams yesterday played out standing, not only on that kickoff return here Gary Jeff, but also on that I believe it was a kickoff and they got down and the Browns kind of screwed it up, and the special teams went down and then down it on like the six yard line, which was huge.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, special teams were very crucial in yesterday's victory, and so was once again the defense. Nick Chubb was back for the first time in three hundred and eighty nine days. That's the last time Nick Chubb, the running back for the Browns, had had been on the field since the injury, and or three ninety eight something that it had been over a year, been like a year and a month since Nick Chubb had sued it up in an NFL football game, and everybody's all the announcers are all energetic, the National TV announcers, Oh, Nick Chubb, it's gonna you know, it's it's if anything's going to make a difference for this Brown's offense, it's Nick Chubb and he's back and the Bengals shut him down.
Speaker 10: I had to. I had to turn off. I had to turn off the game on my phone. I was watching the game on my phone. I had to turn it up because of these guys. They were just like praising like Jim. Nick Chubb was the next thing to uh, you know, to slice bread. I had to turn it off. They were so bad. So I turned the radio on to listen to h Dave Lapham and Dan Horde. And every time I had the radio on yesterday, the Bengals scored. I don't know what it was. I said, I'm going back to listening.
Speaker 2: To the radio.
Speaker 10: That's the one I had. Because when I had the radio off, the Bengals were struggling. I turned the radio back on. This since I turned it back on, we scored. We scored that touchdown. That touchdown pass the first one to Jamar Chase. So I just listened to the game on radio because those announcers were all Nick Chubb, were all Cleveland Browns. They were all like pulling, pulling for the Browns to beat the Bengals. I couldn't stand it anymore.
Speaker 1: So they were they were so biased. I couldn't believe on a national TV bias. Uh, you know, how can these guys just be smooching up to Browns fans because it's there's there's more people in Cleveland than Cincinnati. I don't know what the reason was, but you're right, it was wastelanded.
Speaker 2: That's something we noticed as well.
Speaker 1: And I'm just kind of mystified by now. Cleveland's defense, let's give it it's due, is pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: But it's very good defense.
Speaker 10: I told you that they had a deep, good defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very job.
Speaker 10: At halftime, i'd have time. I wasn't in the locker room and you weren't in the locker room, but I have a strong feeling that Joe Burrow got with Zach Taylor and said, look, you know, they got a good defense, but we're gonna go down. Let's go down swinging and let me start throwing this ball. The t Higgins and Jamar Chase and what did they do? They came out they started throwing throwing the ball, did they not? Jamar and T and I got two touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I'll tell you this, and you and I have talked about this before. If Joe Burrow, if they let him be in charge of that offense, it's better than what they've been doing to this point. Joe Burrow has the kind of Joe Burrow has the kind of football IQ And I think that Joe Burrow more than likely, when he retires from playing, whenever that will be, and I hope it's not anytime soon, is going to be an offensive coordinator or a head coach somewhere in charge of an offense. Because he's got that kind of brain, and he's got the skills as long as his body holds up to execute what his brain is telling him to do.
Speaker 10: Well, that's a long ways off. Let's not even go across that path. But if anything, he might be an owner ru all the money he makes.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 9: They could buy a team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean, like you said, they opened up.
Speaker 1: They opened up that offensive aerial display in the second half, and it paid benefits and paved the way for the Bengals' third victory of the year. Now looking ahead, the Eagles are in town next Sunday at pay Corps Stadium, and this is not an easy task for the Bengals to get five hundred.
Speaker 10: Either, not at all, not at all. Berkley, what one hundred and seventy yards yesterday against the Giants, Well, that was that was that was some Giants.
Speaker 2: That was some grudge running yesterday against the Giants.
Speaker 10: Barkley still a damn good running back. He really is. Yeah, he really is a dam good running back. Bengals haven't won a home game yet. I think got to get that monkey off their back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how is that?
Speaker 1: I mean they can go in and win on the road against teams that they're supposed to beat. Can you imagine how difference is the season would be if the Bengals had been ready to go in Week one and taken care of the Patriots, taking care of the Patriots like they should have, like everybody expected. The odds makers had him seven and a half point favorites going into that first game of the year, wild Man, and they lay that egg against New England, which has proven to be just as bad as everybody said they were gonna be.
Speaker 10: You have the only victory this year by the England Patriots against the Cincinnati Bengals h Aay Horse Stadium. That's I like to say, unbelievable, anthy Mack. But hey, we gotta move on. We gotta go on worrying about that. I gotta take care of business. Comes Sunday against Eagles.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about the Bengals chances? Now, they did improve their playoff chances a little bit by percentage by history with the victory yesterday to get to three and four they get, they get to four.
Speaker 2: It you're talking about.
Speaker 10: What I know. I know, but hey, that's true. That's let's not even think about that. They're not thinking about that right now.
Speaker 2: Playoffs and that's a playoff.
Speaker 10: Playoffs. Let's get let's get to five hundred and then you know, then take then then the Raiders come to town and then you know, then you got the Ravens, then you got the buy Let's let's not let's take one game at a time. Hearing, I don't even think about the playoffs. Every team, you know, I said this last week, on any given day, you can get beat Yeah, becas have got to take care of business. I don't the defense. Hey, if you will look for some positive, the defense is played well. The last two weeks, they really have what I defense is played well.
Speaker 1: What I have seen around the NFL so far is that the Lions are just absolutely they are so hungry and they are so good. And Dan Campbell has them on a projection with what they did to Minnesota yesterday. I mean, they did wind up winning a game, didn't they The Lions.
Speaker 10: Absolutely they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and then Baltimore and you want to talk about within the division, wild man, boy, that that team just frightens me to death as a fan of any other team in the AFC. I know they've got two losses, but it's like they gave the rest of the league a two game head start by losing those games.
Speaker 10: You know, I forgot to mention Jerry Jeff I forgot to mention this to you. The two touchdown passes that Joe Burrow through yesterday. Yep, they were a thirteenth and fourteenth of the season. Oh now has fourteen touchdown.
Speaker 2: He's having a remarkable offensive season.
Speaker 10: No, he has fourteen touchdown pass Oh I'm sorry again, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: We're talking about Pete Rose again. By the way, you sent me a picture of your son who you named after Pete Rose, who was at some concert. He's like reliving the old man's wild days, going to see Jesse James Dupre Yeah.
Speaker 10: Out there in Illinois. Yeah, Jesse hooked him up with the VIP pass. Sitting at table fourteen fourteen happening. That's weird, two weird, that's excellent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you see anybody else in the NFL that you think is really on track to do some marvelous things postseason and beyond?
Speaker 2: What do you see those.
Speaker 10: I watched that Chiefs game last night, and they demonstrated the other number one team in football. They might they might go undefeated the Chiefs because this was supposed to be a tall task against the forty nine ers and the forty nine ers. It was like one step forward, three steps back yesterday afternoon. The Chiefs are very tough. The lot of the Lions, like you said, the Ravens. Those are the three top teams right now. I mean, look around. I mean that's let's be honest. Those are the three tops team and the chief the Chiefs. Could you know the Chiefs could make history. I mean they when they went that last Super Bowl, what did they say, three pete, we want to win three in a row because it's never been done. It's never been done. We could be watching history right now, I'm told less.
Speaker 1: And the undefeated season hasn't been done since those nineteen seventy two Dolphins.
Speaker 2: So watch out history.
Speaker 10: That's right, that's right. The champagne that they want to put it on ice.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs are my team, wild man, and have been for six years. So what what has really really got me giddy is the fact that Kansas City keeps on finding different ways to win every game, and different scenarios come up, and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: They find a way to win.
Speaker 1: Uh the tow on the line at the end of the end zone and it's it's called no touchdown. You know, just thing after thing after throwing, week after week after week. The Chiefs find different way to win. But the common denominators Olas Patrick Mahomes and an very improved defense.
Speaker 10: And Andy Reid. Andy Reid, without a doubt, I mean, he's put that team together. They've got a great, great, great defensive coordinator there bag Nola Oh, he's outstanding. But it starts at the top. They've got great management at the top, and they've got a great quarterback. There's a Hall of Famer, without a doubt. Today he decides to hang it up, and they know how to win. They know how to win.
Speaker 1: Wild Man real quickly. The World Series is set. Yankees Dodgers. Who you got?
Speaker 10: Oh boy, when you break it down here, you know, as a baseball fan, as a Reds fan, my attitude was if the Reds never won the Pennant, I'd always root for the American League. And I'm going to root for the New York Yankees. Why because Paul O'Neill does the television. Aaron Booner is a former Red He's the skipper they've got. But Luke Weaver has been their closer. He pitched, he couldn't get anybody out, but now he's one of the keys for the Yankees. I'm picking the Yankees to beat the Dodgers, both teams with big payrolls trying to buy, you know, a world series. Yankees have got the big stars too. When I'm talking about you know, when you talk about Aaron Judge and Stanton and what that kid named Juan Soto. You'll go with the Yankee Yankees and six.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, Yankees and six. How many touchdown passes does Joe Burrow have this year so far?
Speaker 10: Wild curly right now? Fourteen? There's that number again.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, brother, Thank you, thank you, sir. You got it.
Speaker 1: It's the wild Man Walker on the night Cap. And we continue in moments on seven hundred WLW the political season of twenty twenty four. We stand just two weeks away from election day. And a guy who knows all about election days and elections and getting people elected, and political strategist and Arthur author of The Trail of the Serpent, Stories from the smoke filled Rooms of politics, a guy who sat in a lot of them. Carter Wren joins us. Carter, good evening, and welcome to the Nightcap.
Speaker 2: How are you good evening, da.
Speaker 1: So we obviously are in the middle of what is being called the most consequential election ever, which I hear a lot in my lifetime. Election Yeah, and what appears to be a very very tight race.
Speaker 2: And you are in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: You were instrumental in helping President Ronald Reagan win primaries and eventually get elected. You've worked on too many campaigns to even mention in the short time we have here together tonight. But from a historical perspective, Carter, from Ronald Reagan to Donald Trump. Donald Trump has been compared to Reagan in many ways, and I see I see the similarities just from a standpoint of the left or the other side calling them the devil and threatening nuclear war if either one was elected. I lived through that with Reagan's term in nineteen eighty. That was the first election I got to vote in, was nineteen eighty, by the way, So that kind of tells you where I'm at. And I have voted for President Trump twice now and I'm planning on voting for him again. But tell me about the what is the what are the similarities between Ronald Reagan as a president and Donald Trump as a president?
Speaker 16: First, well, Reagan, the issue that dominated that his campaigns was winning the Cold War. Yeah, that was created a we lost the Vietnam War. A lot of shocked World War Two veterans, swats, Russian tanks rolling into Saigon, and they thought, my lord were losing the Cold War. And bear in mind they'd lived through World War II. And that created a river of people that elected Reagan three times or twice eighty and eighty four elected him in the North Carolina primary in seventy six. The odd thing about Trump's selection. Most selections are about issues like Reagan's. Were Trump's selections really more about character? The key group of voters this time are swing voters, independent voters, and they're not wild about Harrison. They don't like Trump, and so they're trying to make a Hobson's choice. And you don't see that type of character election often, and that's the unusual thing about this election. They're struggling to decide which is two candidates they dislike the least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there are a lot of things that are playing in this election. Sadly, a natural disaster has played a part in this upcoming election, just because of the timing of when the storms hit and how fast people can recover. Since you're in North Carolina, Carter, I've got to ask you, what is the situation in the tar Heel state and are people going to be able to get out and vote because of the damage of Helene.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's hard to know the answer to that question. The western part of the state, which is a Republican area got hit pretty hard by the hurricane, and they started early voting here yesterday or two days ago, something like that, and they had a huge early voting turnout, more than they've ever seen. But you really don't know how much of that was in the West, and you don't know how many of those families you know that had their houses flooded, and there were a lot of them are going.
Speaker 2: To be able to vote.
Speaker 16: Technically they can, and they've made some changes in the voting rules to make it easier, but that's avaiable. We don't know the answer to that could end up impacting the election.
Speaker 1: Money always matters in these situations, Carter. But in twenty sixteen, for example, Hillary Clinton had twice as much money spent on the campaign than Donald Trump, and it still didn't move the needle in her direction enough to get her elected. The Kamala Harris campaign has a lot of money in their coffers. How much does money matter and how much does being on the ground and pressing the flesh matters when it comes to a presidential campaign.
Speaker 16: In a presidential campaign, money matters, but it matters less than, say, in a governor's.
Speaker 2: Campaign or a Senate campaign.
Speaker 16: There is so much media coverage of presidential elections that people get more information from media like.
Speaker 2: Your radio show, or like.
Speaker 16: Fox News or CNN, then they get out of advertising paid ads. So I saw that when Steve Forbes ran in ninety six. Yeah, I remember, we spent a ton of money in Iowa, more than anybody else. But once the media locked in on the race, it just was more effect than any ads. And so I think the media is more important in the presidential races than in other races. You're running for governor or senate. There's just not as much media coverage, and so ads make a bigger difference. But I think that ultimately in the presidential race, the media coverage is the most important factor. And the stuff about knocking on doors and all that, I think that really makes a ton of difference. I remember one time was in a campaign Jesse Helms ran for reelection, Okay, and we spent a year knocking on doors and spent millions of dollars, and he moved up four points in the polls. And then the poster came in and said, well, the Democrats having their primary in three months, and we all to do TV ads just so we're out there. We don't want people just to be seeing them. So we spent quarter of a million dollars on three months of TV ads and he move done eight.
Speaker 12: Points in the polls.
Speaker 16: So media had a lot more pact than down knocking. So I think that I think the media is going to be the crucial thing in the presidential race.
Speaker 8: At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: How did global events like the Iran hostage crisis and COVID nineteen pandemic sway elections? And we've seen that both in our lifetimes, obviously, and both had a lot to play. I would say the Iran hostage crisis was important for Reagan, but everything else was going south for the Carter administration. The economy and the interest rates and everything else was just it seemed like it was a perfect storm of nothing good for Jimmy Carter in nineteen eighty. But the Iran hostage crisis did play a role, right, I think it played a huge role. You know, in politics, the unexpected always happens. Nobody ever anticipated in Iran hostage or COVID, And at the end of Reagan's eighty election, the Poles had it dead.
Speaker 2: Even it was a toss up, but.
Speaker 16: There was a big group of undecided voters at the end and they all went to Reagan and he won forty four states. That was the Iron hostage crisis' impact on that election, you think, so you know they yeah, they looked at that and said, we're losing the Cold War. We can't handle the Iran crisstage ran hostage crisis. Boom they broke for Reagan and everybody was surprised on election.
Speaker 2: Night by how much he won.
Speaker 16: COVID I think had the same impact on Trump. Uh, you know, he had a pretty good three years and then boom, COVID hit. And yeah, I don't want to be critical, but I don't think he handled it all that well. He told people, it's going to go away, at it under control, The tests are going to be fine. Then the tests didn't work. That was something that was outside of everybody's control. Nobody anticipated because nobody could stop it. And so I think that hurt Ragging a lot. I think they had a lot to do. I mean, Biden win and that in Biden staying in his basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's another thing.
Speaker 1: Has Kamalad done a good enough job of hiding because now she's come out of hiding and doing more appearances, and she is going down in the polls.
Speaker 16: Carter, Well, you had to take the polls today with a grain of salt. You know, a good poll is a good thing in politics, but they cost a lot of money. Most of the polls you see in the media didn't cost money, and the purporters tend to miss the margin of era. You could see a poll Harris is up by one, Well, that means she could be down by two or up by one. And I think what you basically this turned into once Biden got out. You had two polarized groups, Republicans and Democrats that lined up behind their candidates. I think it's just gonna be a close selection all the way down to the wire. And that's what you've got. And some of the polls are reliable, but they all show it's close.
Speaker 2: Well, they all show it's close.
Speaker 1: But there have been a lot of reports that Democrats are internally freaking out because the polls aren't going their way. I mean, Hillary Clinton had what kind of at this point in the campaign in twenty sixteen, had a huge lead. Joe Biden had a bigger lead, and it turned out to be just a matter of ten or twenty thousand.
Speaker 2: Votes in twenty twenty that swung the.
Speaker 1: Election, really, and they were also prize on Hillary's side of the ledger. And she is still complaining that she thinks she won in twenty sixteen, which I think that makes her an election denier.
Speaker 2: Don't you.
Speaker 16: Well, it was a shock that Trump won in sixteen. The post did show her way ahead, but you you had a river of people in Michigan and Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, in swing states that went for Trump, and that had to do with the fact they looked at Trump and they looked at Hillary, and they saw Hillary as a politician and they didn't like politicians, and the polling missed all that.
Speaker 8: And so.
Speaker 16: Polls are a good thing, but you've got to take them with a grain of salt because they can be pr polls or they can be real polls. And so yeah, don't ignore them, but don't don't make a bet based on a poll.
Speaker 1: So that's what you've learned as a political strategist, is I mean, you don't really pay attention to polls when you're helping with the campaign.
Speaker 2: Carter, No, I pay a.
Speaker 16: Lot of attention to polls. But bear in mind if campaign takes a poll, they're going to spend a lot of money on it. Take a poll in a state like Ohio, it's going to cost you thirty thousand dollars and you're going to need somebody to interpret five hundred pages of numbers that knows.
Speaker 2: What they mean.
Speaker 16: Very few media outlets do that when they do polls. So a lot of the polls today are we're going to do a poll so we can put publisher story and get, you know, some people to read our newspaper or watch our TV program. I think you've got it to trust most of the pulse. There are good pollsters out there, but not many.
Speaker 1: The book is The Trail of the Serpent. The author is Carter Wren, who knows a little bit about political campaigns, and that's the understatement of the year. Carter, I appreciate your time today very much, and no, no matter what happens in the election, I'll still want to talk to you afterwards.
Speaker 16: That would be fine. I'd look forward to it and I wish you the best. All right, you as well, sir. Great luck with the book. Carter Wren with us on the nightcap. Back to close, in just a moment on seven hundred WL.
Speaker 1: As we close this nightcap, a conversation came up last week at Tabar that I thought i'd mentioned. We're talking about the names of people that I've been blessed to know in my thirty years in radio in Cincinnati, and one of the names that came up was Sensible Don. Don Lewis my dear dear friend Don Lewis, or at one time a dear dear friend, and I mentioned at the end of the conversation there with Carter Ran, no matter what happens in the election, I hope we have a chance to talk again. We may not agree on everything, and turns out that we don't from the conversation we had, but it was a delightful conversation. The man's got some knowledge. Sensible Don had a lot of knowledge about life. That's why we called him Sensible Don. But something happened along the way to being friends for life, and I can truly say it really wasn't on my part, It was on Don's. Don got sick late in life, had kidney failure, needed dialysis, and so I mean I didn't see much of him in his last years. But the dialysis and his health problems weren't the reason I didn't see much of Don Lewis anymore. The reason I didn't see much of Don Lewis anymore was because he found out that I voted for Donald Trump. He found out that I supported the president, and I must be a racist because I voted for Donald Trump. And Don basically cut me off, cut me out of his life. We'd gone to breakfast together, to lunch together. I'd been over his house numerous times. Knew his wife, Pam, great lady by the way. But because I supported a candidate he did not agree with. All of a sudden, I was persona on grata, and you see that happening, and it's been happening for the last decade in this country, and that needs to stop. It needs to stop right now. It needs to stop with this election. Regardless of who you vote for or who you support, if you're a friend of mine, you're a friend of mine. I've got plenty of people who I know are voting for Kamala Harris, and I don't cut them out of my life. I don't stop talking to them. We may not talk much politics because we know it's a nowhere road, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends.
Speaker 2: It hurt me greatly.
Speaker 1: It still hurts me greatly, and I prayed about it to what happened with my friendship with sensible Don Lewis. It's a wound that is still open, obviously, and I just needed to vent and get it off my chest. I miss him so much. I miss his wit, his sense of humor, the wisdom that he did have and the wisdom he didn't have sometimes. But Don, you're no longer with us, and I've never really talked extensively about it on the air, but I wanted to again just kind of air it out a little Catharsis on the radio for me, and I guess it beats one hundred dollars an hour for therapy. But with that, mend your relationships with people if they've been shattered by political differences, because that's just not worth it.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, in my experience. And with that, we leave you with
Speaker 1: The national anthem, Donna America on the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW