Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's dive in. We're setting coordinates way out there today, folks past Jupiter, past Saturn, all the way out to the ice Giant.
Speaker 3: You're in this deep space. Yeah, and we're looking at one of its moons, aerial. There's some really fascinating new research out published in Chorus.
Speaker 2: Fascinating is almost an understatement. The main takeaway, the big headline here is that this research suggests Aerial, well, it used to have a massive ocean under.
Speaker 3: Its icy crust, a really massive one. We're talking potentially over one hundred miles deep. That's about one hundred and seventy kilometers.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, let's put that in perspective for everyone listening. One hundred and seventy kilometers deep. How does that stack up against say, Earth's oceans.
Speaker 3: Well, think about the Pacific Ocean. Its average depth is only about four kilometers maybe two point five miles, So this potential pasted ocean on Aerial it could have been something like forty times deeper on average than the.
Speaker 2: Pacific, twenty times on a moon. That's what much smaller than Earth. That's kind of mind bending.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is. We're picturing this relatively small, icy world way out in the cold, dark part of the Solar System, and it might have had this colossal hidden layer of liquid water. Yeah, it really makes you rethink.
Speaker 2: Thing, completely makes you rethink the potential for water and maybe even heat way out there. So Okay, the big question then is how how did scientists figure this out? Just by looking at the surface. What cleaves did they find?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the core of the research. Led by folks like Caleb Strom and Alex Patoff. They were basically doing geological detective work.
Speaker 2: Forensics on a planet terry scale exactly.
Speaker 3: They looked at Aerial's surface geology, which is pretty dramatic, that's a huge cracks and riches, and they tried to connect those features to what must have been going on inside the Moon and how it must have been orbiting Urinus.
Speaker 2: In the past, so reverse engineering the forces involved, that's the idea.
Speaker 3: What kind of stress would you need to break the Moon's crust in exactly the way we see it broken?
Speaker 2: All right, let's zoom in on aerial itself. Then the researchers called it pretty unique in terms of icy moons. What makes it stand out? Well?
Speaker 3: First off, its location and brightness. Is the brightest moon of Uranus and the second one out from the planet. It's the fourth largest, but still pretty modest in size.
Speaker 2: How modest are we? Talking?
Speaker 3: Only about seven hundred and twenty miles across eleven hundred and fifty nine kilometers give you a sense of that. It's roughly the driving distance from say, Tucson, Arizona, up to Salt Lake City, Utah. That's the entire width of the moon.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so not huge, but clearly something dramatic happened on its surface. You mentioned this geological paradox. What's that about?
Speaker 3: It's this weird mix of really old and really young looking Kraine side by side.
Speaker 2: Old and young. How can you tell?
Speaker 3: The old parts are just covered in impact craters. Tells you that surface hasn't really changed much in maybe billions of years, it's just been sitting there getting hit.
Speaker 2: Okay, makes sense.
Speaker 3: But right next to those ancient battered areas you find these stretches of remarkably smooth terrain, and that smoothness suggests something wipe the slate clean relatively recently geologically.
Speaker 2: Speaking, like paving over the old roads.
Speaker 3: Kind of yeah. The prime suspect is cryovulcanism, icy eruptions from inside the moon that float out, froze, and smooths over the older crust.
Speaker 2: So internal heat, slushy ice, or water erupting that already hints at something interesting happening below it does.
Speaker 3: But even more compelling than the smooth plains were the giant cracks and faults, the sheer scale of the deformation.
Speaker 2: Right, you mentioned those, what kind of features are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Massive fraction, really long ridges, and these complex systems called grabins. A grabin is basically where a big block of the crust is just dropped down between two parallel faults.
Speaker 2: Like a valley formed by stretching and cracking exactly.
Speaker 3: And the key thing here, according to the paper, is the scale. These features on aerial are described as being at scales larger than almost anywhere else in the Solar.
Speaker 2: System late larger than almost anywhere. That's a huge statement, bigger than the cracks on Europa or the canyons on Mars.
Speaker 3: That's the claim. We're talking features that might stretch for hundreds, maybe over one thousand kilometers, and these seem to be part of a global pattern, suggesting the entire crust was under immense tension.
Speaker 2: Okay, if the cracks are that big, the forces must have been equally enormous. You don't get solar system scale cracks without solar system scale stress. Precisely, that's the fossil record we were talking about. To crack and drop sections of crust that large, the stress had to be intense, widespread, and probably prolonged. Points to two things working together, serious interurn heat softening things up, and really powerful external forces. And those external forces would be tides from Uranus.
Speaker 3: That's the prime candidate. Tidal forces, the gravitational push and pull from orbiting Uranus. This incredibly fractured landscape became the input data for their computer models.
Speaker 2: So they had the crime scene, these giant fractures. How do they use the models to find the culprit, the engine driving it all?
Speaker 3: Well, the first step was meticulously mapping the locations and orientations of all these major structures using the old Voyager two fly by images from back in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Right, our only close up looks so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then they fed this map, this pattern of fractures into a computer program. This program was designed to simulate how an icy moon's crust would respond to different kinds of stress, specifically tidal stresses.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's break down tidal stress. We hear the term a lot with moons like Europa or Eo. How does it work?
Speaker 3: Basically, it's all about gravity changing depending on distance. When a moon orbits a big planet like Uranus, the side of the Moon closest to the planet gets pulled harder by gravity than the center of the moon does okay, and the center in turn gets pulled harder than the far side. So the overall effect is that the planet's gravity tries to stretch the Moon.
Speaker 2: Out, stretching it like along the line pointing towards Uranus exactly.
Speaker 3: And as the Moon moves in its orbit, maybe getting closer and farther away if the orbit isn't perfectly circular, the amount of stretching changes. The Moon gets squeezed and stretched squeezed in stretched.
Speaker 2: Ah like kneading dough.
Speaker 3: Almost yeah, Or imagine flexing a rubber ball. It constantly changes shape slightly. For a moon, it might bulge towards and away from the planet, relaxing back towards the sphere as it moves. That constant flexing is the tidal.
Speaker 2: Stress, and that flexing generates heat, right.
Speaker 3: Friction, That's the key. It's called tidal dissipation, where tidal heating, all that bending and flexing creates friction inside the moon, converting the energy of its orbit into internal heat.
Speaker 2: Like rubbing your hand ends together to warm them up, but on a planetary scale.
Speaker 3: Precisely you bend a paper clip back and forth, it gets warm eventually breaks a moon flexing under gravity, same principle, just over millions or billions of years, and that internal heat is what could potentially melt ice deep inside, creating an ocean.
Speaker 2: Got it. So the strength of this tidal heating, this flexing depends on the orbit.
Speaker 3: Crucially, Yes, and the most important factor dictating the strength of the tides is the shape of the orbit. Specifically, it's eccentricity.
Speaker 2: Eccentricity, Okay, what does that mean exactly.
Speaker 3: Eccentricity is just a measure of how much an orbit deviates from being a perfect circle. A perfect circle has an eccentricity of zero. The more elongated or oval shape the orbit.
Speaker 2: Is like a squashed circle.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The bigger the difference between its closest point to the planet and its farthest point, the higher the eccentricity value.
Speaker 2: And why does that matter for tidal stress?
Speaker 3: Because a higher eccentricity means a much bigger change in the gravitational pull the Moon experiences during each orbit. It gets stretched a lot more when it's closed and relaxes more when it's far. That bigger change in shape means much stronger flexing, more friction, and way more internal heat generated.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the modeling team basically asked how eccentric, how non circular did aerials orbit need to be in the past to generate enough tidal stress to create those gigantic fractures we see today exactly.
Speaker 3: They ran the models backwards essentially, and the answer they came up with was that aeriel needed a past orbital eccentricity of about zero point zero four.
Speaker 2: Zero point zero four Is that a lot? How does that compare it to its orbit.
Speaker 3: Now. Ah, here's where it gets really interesting. Ariel's current eccentricity is tiny, almost zero. That calculated past value of point zero four about forty times larger than its current value.
Speaker 2: Forty times. That's a massive difference. So its orbit used to be significantly more stretched.
Speaker 3: Out, significantly more effective at generating tides. Yes, even though in orbit with e eor a point zero four would still look pretty circular to the naked eye, the effect on tidal forces isn't linear. It ramps up much faster.
Speaker 2: Wait why isn't it linear? Why does a forty x increase in eccentricity cause way more than a forty x increase in stress.
Speaker 3: It comes down to the physics of how that energy turns into heat. The amount of tidal heating generated goes up much faster than the eccentricity itself. It's often related to the eccentricity squared or even higher powers depending on the specifics.
Speaker 2: Okay, so small changes in orbital shape can have these huge, outsized effects on the inside of the Moon.
Speaker 3: Massive effects. It means that this past orbit at point zero four eccentricity would have been incredibly efficient at churning up aerials interior, generating a ton of heat, enough heat potentially to melt a very deep layer of ice.
Speaker 2: That really puts it in perspective, especially when you compare it to a moon like Europa. Right, Jupiter's moon, Europa is kind of the poster child for tidal stress cracking its surface. It is Europa's surface is famously fractured by Jupiter's tides. But get this. The model suggests that for Aerial to get its specific massive fractures, its past orbit needed to be about four times more eccentric than Europe's current orbit. Four times more eccentric than Europa. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you think Europa looks beat up, aerials pass must have involved forces that were, in a sense, four times more intense than what Europa experiences today. It really drives home why the researchers described aerials features as being on a scale larger than almost anywhere else. The forces involved were just monumental. Okay, so we've got the cause this incredibly eccentric past orbit generating immense tidal stress way more than even Europa feels now. And we've got the effect these absolutely enormous fractures and grobins on the surface. Oh but why does that require an ocean. Why couldn't the moon just be solid ice all the way through and it just cracked under that incredible stress.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's the lynchpin of the argument. It comes down to how the ice shell breaks. The model showed something crucial about the style of fracturing. Okay, to get those specific features, these really long, parallel grobins where huge sections of crust drop down uniformly over vast distances, you need the outer ice shell to be able to flex significantly and globally in response to the stress.
Speaker 3: And a completely solid moon wouldn't do that. It would just shatter differently exactly if aerial was solid ice from surface to core, even if it got warm and a bit soft inside, it would still basically behave as a single rigid unit. When you subject a rigid body to those kinds of massive oscillating tidal forces, it tends to crack in a more brittle, maybe localized way. You wouldn't necessarily expect these huge, consistent, globe spanning fracture systems.
Speaker 2: So what does adding a liquid layer the ocean change? How does that allow for these specific giant gravens.
Speaker 3: The liquid water layer acts as a decoupling zone. Think of it like a layer of lubricant between the outer brittle ice shell and the solid rocky interior or.
Speaker 2: Core the moon decoupling, meaning the shell can move somewhat independently.
Speaker 3: Precisely because the ice shell is essentially floating on this liquid layer, it's not rigidly locked to the core. This allows the entire shell to flex, stretch, and relax much more easily in uniformly as a whole unit in response to those tidle poles.
Speaker 2: Ah I see, So the ocean allows the entire crust to participate in the flexing, leading to these large scale, consistent cracks when it finally breaks.
Speaker 3: That's the idea. Without that liquid layer providing the slipplane the decoupling, you likely wouldn't get the specific type and scale of features like the massive parallel gravins that dominate aerials observed terrain. The liquid layer facilitates that particular style of crustal failure.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes a lot of sense. The ocean isn't just a consequence of the heat. Its presence is actually necessary to explain the way the surface broke. Yes, the researchers put it really well. In order to create those fractures, you have to have either a really thin ice shell on a really big ocean, or a higher eccentricity and a smaller ocean. So there's a trade off between how thick the ice is and how big the ocean is or how strong the tides were.
Speaker 3: Right, but the key point is, under the plausible conditions dictated by the past eccentricity, you need that liquid layer. The ocean is the non negotiable part of the equation to explain the geology.
Speaker 2: Which brings us back to that mind boggling depth one hundred and seventy kilometers. How did they land on that specific number?
Speaker 3: That figure represents the kind of ocean depth that would be compatible with the strongest plausible tidal stresses, the ones generated by that calculated past eccentricity of point zero four.
Speaker 2: So it's like the maximum possible ocean size given the forces involved.
Speaker 3: Essentially yes, given that level of intense tidle heating over a long period, the model suggests a significant fraction of Aerial's original water ice mantle could have melted, potentially creating an ocean that deep overlying the rocky core.
Speaker 2: It's still incredible that we can pieces together from fractures scene decades ago. But you mentioned a limitation the timing. Do we know when all this was happening? When did Ariel have the super eccentric orbit in this deep ocean.
Speaker 3: That's the big unknown right now and definitely a focus for future work. Orbital mechanics and moon systems are really complex. Moons interact, orbits evolve, Tidal forces themselves tend to make orbits more circular over very long, long time scales.
Speaker 2: So this highly eccentric phase was likely temporary, maybe billions of years ago.
Speaker 3: Probably likely happened earlier in the Solar system's history, but pinning down the exact timing is tough. What this study does is established the conditions required. It sets the physical boundaries, the eccentricity needed, the maximum ocean depth possible that any future model trying to trace Aerieal's history will have to match. It's a crucial baseline.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's broaden the view now. This research wasn't done in isolation, right, It's part of a larger look at the Uranian system.
Speaker 3: That's right. This is actually the second paper in a series from the same team. They previously published similar findings for another one of Uranus's inner moons, Miranda.
Speaker 2: Miranda, that's the one that looks like it was smashed apart and badly put back together, right, really bizarre surface.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Miranda's geology is famously chaotic, and the team's earlier work suggested that its weird features could also be explained by pass tidal heating driven by a period of high orbital eccentricity, likely also requiring a subsurface over.
Speaker 2: So the researchers are talking about potentially twin ocean worlds orbiting Urinus Aerial and Miranda.
Speaker 3: That's the tantalizing possibility they raise. It suggests that maybe the conditions for generating significant internal heat via tides weren't just a fluke for one moon, but perhaps a more common occurrence or a phase that multiple inner moons went through in the Uranian system.
Speaker 2: That really changes the picture of the Uranian system, doesn't it. We tend to think of it as just this cold, distant, relatively quiet place compared to Jupiter or Saturn.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, for a long time, Uranus and its moons seemed kind of dormant, just because they're so far from the Sun and the initial flyby didn't reveal obvious ongoing activity like Geyser's. But if Aerial and Miranda both potentially hosted deep liquid water oceans in their past driven by internal tidal heat, well, that paints a picture of a much more dynamic and geologically active system history than we assumed.
Speaker 2: It really underscores how important tidal heating is as an energy source, potentially everywhere in the outer Solar System, completely separate from sunlight.
Speaker 3: Definitely, it's a game changer for thinking about potentially habitable environments far from the star.
Speaker 2: But we're still working with pretty limited data here, aren't we. All of this is inferred from that single Voyager two flyby back in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 3: That's the frustrating part. Yes, our only close up images are decades old, and because of the flyby trajectory and the way Uranus was tilted at the time, Voyager two only got good views of the southern hemispheres of these.
Speaker 2: Moons, so we've only seen half the picture.
Speaker 3: Literally, exactly as Tom Nordheim, one of the studies co authors, emphasized, we just haven't seen the northern halves of Aerial or Miranda up close. It's kind of amazing we can deduce this much from half a moon view decades ago.
Speaker 2: Does that limit how confident we can be in these ocean models.
Speaker 3: It certainly introduces uncertainty, but that's also where the predictive power of this modeling work becomes so valuable.
Speaker 2: Predictive power how so.
Speaker 3: Because the models aren't just explaining the features we have seen based on the physics of how the entire Moon should respond to those global tidal stresses. So the models actually make specific predictions about what kind of features like the orientation and location of major fractures and ridges, we should find on the unseen northern hemispheres if this whole scenario is correct.
Speaker 2: Ah, So it's like they've drawn a map for a future mission. If we're right, you should find giant cracks running this way up north.
Speaker 3: Precisely, they've provided testable hypotheses. They've essentially laid out the geological treasure map for a future orbitor or probe going back to Urinus. It makes the scientific case for a return mission much stronger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see why they'd be pushing for it. Absolutely, the evidence is compelling. Potentially two ancient ocean worlds with specific predictions waiting to be verified. It really boils down to what the researchers themselves say. Ultimately, we just need to go back to the Urinus system and see for ourselves. Okay, let's try and pull this all together. We journeyed out to Ariel, this fairly small moon of Uranus. Its surface is covered in these absolutely enormous fractures and grabins, some of the biggest geological scars seen anywhere.
Speaker 3: Right evidence of massive past stress.
Speaker 2: The only way to generate that much stress, the model show, was through intense tidal forces from a past orbit that was way more eccentric, about forty times more than today, an orbit.
Speaker 3: Potentially four times more eccentric than even Europe's current one.
Speaker 2: And crucially, the way the crust broke forming those specific global features required the ice shell to be floating decoupled from the.
Speaker 3: Core, which means there had to be a liquid layer in between a subsurface ocean.
Speaker 2: A notion that under those extreme past conditions could have been over one hundred miles one hundred and seventy kilometers.
Speaker 3: Deep, just a staggering volume of water.
Speaker 2: And this isn't just aerial. Similar evidence points to its neighbor Miranda, potentially being a twin ocean world. It completely recasts the Uranian system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it shifts review from seeing it as just cold endorment to a place that was likely once incredibly dynamic, wet and warm inside thanks to tidal energy.
Speaker 2: What stands out most to you from all this?
Speaker 3: For me, it's the sheer implication for water in the universe. If these relatively small moons orbiting a distant ice giant could generate enough internal heat to sustain oceans this massive, it just reinforces that the ingredients for potentially habitable environments liquid water and energy might be far more common out there than we used to think, even in the really cold, dark places. It definitely makes you wonder, and it leads to a final thought building on that idea of pass oceans. If Aerial and maybe Miranda really did have these deep oceans billions of years ago, how long could they have lasted? That's a billion dollar question, isn't it? How long can liquid water persist inside an icy moon once the period of intense tidal heating ends? Is it free slowly over eons? Good pockets remain liquid even today.
Speaker 2: Because the duration matters, right, right.
Speaker 3: Chemistry, it matters immensely. The longer you have liquid water in contact with a rocky core, especially if there's heat driving hydrothermal activity like vents on earth seafloor, the more time you have for complex chemistry to occur, time for interesting molecules to form, perhaps even precursors to life.
Speaker 2: So understanding not just if the ocean existed, but for how long is the next big step Exactly.
Speaker 3: This work opens the door to investigating the whole life cycle of these potential Outer Solar System motions. How long did they exist, how did they evolve? It seems the universe might be teeming with these hidden water worlds, vast and ancient, just waiting for us.
Speaker 4: To explore them further day
Speaker 3: Seas u