Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot, the kids are crying or tail off, run.
Speaker 2: Your conforts are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee. Let's just dive right in, shall we? We are with you for the next three hours here on Sports Talk seven ninety Coffee and Company fuelbout Thornton's. That's the name of the show. But today we're gonna be a little more professional, a little more polished than usual, because it's nothing but reaction to last night's presidential debate. John, the floor is yours? Show your thoughts? Oh, I'm so excited. I've been waiting to talk about this. Did you watch it weeks? I watched ten minutes of it. Yeah. I mean, I don't have any strong thoughts on it other than I think just the big takeaway that I think a lot of people, well, I shouldn't say a lot of people because I have no clue. Like that was terrible, Like I mean, I don't think we feel any better about anything, regardless of what side you prefer, Like that was just not productive. But what stood out more to me than anything is that with Trump he kind of just couldn't help himself last night at times, you know, just kind of you know, and he's been there before. He's just not polished. And that's been said for you know, almost a decade now, that this guy just he's not presidential in any way. And you know, there's still people that think that's what makes him the best candidate or whatever. But with Biden the last debate, that guy like he didn't know what plannet he was on. So Trump looked good more so than probably he ever has, at least, you know, in my opinion. That's not to say he's perfect and I love the man, because that's not at all what I'm saying. I don't know, there's some people that loathe him so much that they'll never I mean, they might have changed the station after they heard me say that. But because Biden was just up there, not quite sure what planet he's on, it was an opportunity for Trump to look a little more put together and prepared, and you know a guy that you know is ready to you know, to to to take over. And then last night, you know, I'm not sure Kamala Harris said anything of substance, to be honest with you, just being real my opinion. What do I know though, But you know what, she's a little bit more polished, She's a little bit more you know, she can she can kind of sit back and do her her facial expressions and just let him at times kind of make himself look bad, right Like you know, so I say that joking. We're not going to talk about the debate, but you know, like last night there wasn't quite the you know, you had sex with a porn star.
Speaker 1: There was the thing about eating dogs in Springfield though, yeah it was it was it dogs or cats.
Speaker 2: There was both dogs and cats both. I mean again, like that's one of you you add, yeah, you're right, add that to the to the list of things that twenty years from now, a list of quotes that were said during the presidential elections for twenty twenty four, and you know us we'll remember, like, yeah, that was what a time that was crazy that happened? Was it real? And there's other people that maybe you know on the younger side, we'll say, there's no way we heard that right, and you know you did. I promise that was That's what That's where we are. I do also love this is an all time quote. I don't have a plan. I have concepts of a plan like that was one of the things that Trump in which, to be fair, that's not a when you got a BS and that's exactly what that was, like, I don't that's not a bad way to BS. Again, everybody knows what it is like. You could have just flustered me like I have concepts of a plan like that. At least you know that's not really having a plan. It's honesty. But yeah, it's honesty, and it doesn't you know, it's not one of the worst. I mean, it actually sounded better than some of the things he said last night, even though it really wasn't saying anything at all. But anyways, let's get it started, shall we. In all seriousness, we're not going to turn this into a political show in any way, and we never do. And I you know, not to pat myself on the back here but I think this is what I choose to believe when it comes to talking about things that are, you know, important in life, and I know you don't come to this show for that. I feel pretty I'm comfortable with where we are with it, both John and myself, because we don't try to change people's opinions. We don't. I mean, we kind of just have fun with it. And it's it's clearly a topical thing within the world. I mean, think about it. It's I mean, we're about to elect a president. I mean, it's a big deal. But I also know that we are so divided and it's such a trigger type of thing right now for so many people that like if there are those that get on the text line or you know, on Twitter or call in or something and yell at John, but don't want to be on the air and just tell us we're dumb. Like again, maybe you know their opinions, their opinion, they can have it. But like, I just choose to think that that's just because of where we are, not because of anything outlandish we said that was so over the top and so political, because again I don't know if we ever truly shared many political thoughts at all. But you know, that's just again, that's what that's the way I choose to see it. But anyways, again it is Coffee and Company, that's us. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us again. My name's Nick Coffee. The company man, mister John Alden is alongside today. I could blame it on last night's debate, but I think it was actually a piece of leftover pizza that got me. I thought when I woke up this, In fact, I thought, I'm such a baby when I'm sick. And I'm not sick, but I think I had food poisoning. And I think, I mean, I don't know how long you have it, how long it sticks around, but I haven't been able to eat anything all day today. I have had everything that was inside of me exit my body both ways in the last you know, fifteen hours or so. But I woke up last night and I was throwing up and just you know, so much get to to I've already probably done teami here, but I'm just saying like I couldn't there was nothing left. So then my head started hurting because I was dehydrated, and I went to my wife and I woke her up. She's sound asleep, you know, and you're gonna have to take the kids tomorrow. Uh, you know. I don't think I needed to wake her up and tell her that, But that's how big of a baby I am whenever I'm sick. So I thought I was gonna have to call in today. I wouldn't gonna be able to be on the show because I couldn't. I mean, I was just just had the sweats, the nauseousness. Even if I drink water, like would I would have to throw up, which is again Team I. But I'm just being honest with you, But I think that I have I've come out of it, like I've got some liquids into me now. Still haven't been able to eat anything, and I'm certainly not gonna try on the show today. But I'm feeling like I'm finally back. Can food poisoning like that's a brief thing, is it not, Like don't you just kind of get it out of your system and you're good.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I've ever had it, but I feel like that's how it works, because I mean, if it's from the food and the food is gone with you.
Speaker 2: Here you go with your palette. I can see food poisoning and food food poisoning is a rare thing anyway, I believe, unless you know you're just constantly going places and eating bad food, because you never know what it is that actually gets you. As far as food poisoning, you can you could if you only ate one thing, then it makes sense, like if you you know, if you were fine and then you went to dinner at a place, then you know that that night like that would probably be it. But there's really no way to know for sure. So last night after football practice, we ended up going We ended up going to dinner with my mother and my stepfather and then of course, you know, my wife and my two kids, and we at Elma paul A very you know, very well known Mexican restaurant around here. They're all over the place. I get the same thing and I share that with both my kids because they like it and it's a whole lot of food, so they ate it and they were fine. So I'm assuming that wasn't it. But when I when I went home that when I went home last night, I ended up having a couple of beers on the recliner. I got up to take my medicine that I take when I go to sleep, and you know you're supposed to have something like you don't want to take it on an empty stomach. My stomach wasn't empty, but I'm always worried that, like, because I've had the effects of taking this medication. Whenever I don't have something in my stomach and it's not it's not good. So we had pizza on Monday night. That was what we have for dinner, and there was two pieces of thin crust pizza leftover in a Papa John's box and it'd been sitting out for over twenty four hours, and I just grabbed one of the little corner pieces of the thin crust pizza. We're talking like a very small amount. But it was after that that I started to feel like, uh, oh, something's wrong, Like I think I ate something bad. So I'm choosing to believe that it was pizza. But then again, like I think this is a I think you're gonna get a mixed bag of thoughts on this. Some people will look at you like you're a disgusting human being if if you've ate something that was left out overnight and it was not in the refrigerator, and I kind of get it. I wouldn't do it for really anything other than pizza. I don't know why. Maybe because it's in a box and it's not in the fridge, but yet it's kind of closed off. I don't know, but I have done that many times before and it's never gotten me. But if you like do a quick Google search, they'll tell you, yeah, even though it's been cooked, like you still shouldn't need it if it's been sitting out, and you know, I you do, you do that, I mean, definitely do it with pizza.
Speaker 1: And my wife's even gotten on me whenever we have like a leftover box from I don't know, whatever restaurant of you're choosing, and I'll just sit that on the counter and you know, eat that the next day because I know that's going to be my lunch the next day, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So again I've done that as well, and my wife she doesn't look at me weird when I do it with pizza. But if it's something else, like if it's a burger or a sandwich, like, again, it's already been cooked, so in my mind. I'm like, it's you know, it's whatever, who cares. But you know, I guess there are studies that tell you that that's that you shouldn't do that because it could get you sick. And I think it might have got me. But I again, this is just my guess. I'd say that there's many people that would never eat something that was left out overnight, unless it's pizza. I don't know. I I just feel like pizza's always gotten a pass in that regard because it's actually, like room temperature pizza is pretty damn good. I mean, I think pizza is good. Cold, I mean I don't like it. And some people legitimately like will order a pizza, eat as much as they can or as much as they want, put it in the fridge, and then eat it leftovers, but never eat it up. And I don't do that. But again, I've had cold pizza before and it tastes fine. Pizza cold, warm, room temperature Pizza's great. Love pizza, but I think pizza's always kind of gotten a pass. And I'm just curious if any you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think what it is that when you think about somebody getting up in the middle of the night, and wanting like a midnight snack type of thing. It's easy to visualize somebody just going to the pizza box that's been sitting out and munching on whatever's in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I have eaten, like, for days pizza that you know we order it, because we'll usually get two pizzas for the whole family because my kids are super picky and my wife and I are not really on the same page, so we'll get like half and half of one and it'll sit there for a few days, and like, if I just want a snack, I'll go grab one, not heat it up, and just you know, eat it. And it usually never. It's happened once before, and I thought it was pizza, but I was I was in denial for so long because I don't want to believe that this will ever get me sick again. But I think after last night and the majority of today, I'm to the point now where I'm like, yeah, you know what, Nick, let's throw that in the fridge. If we're gonna eat it again. If it's been left out overnight, it's gonna be done. Though. That's the way I'm choosing to go about it. But I mean, pizza leftover is good, man, It's good stuff. But I'll I'll now make it an effort to make sure if we're done, goes in the fridge and if I'm gonna eat it left over, I get it out of the fridge, heat it up. And That's what I'm gonna have to do. But it makes me kind of sad because there's something like I like knowing, Hey, I can just walk over the counter. We got pizza left over. I'm gonna have some anyways, other than starting with you know, my food poisoning and last night's election, where I wanted to start today outside of that. It's a question that came in on the text line yesterday that I did not read until earlier today. Sometimes when I'm getting ready for the show, I'll go fire up the text line and just kind of see some things that were missed that I didn't get a chance to read on the air, or that I you know, read and then forgot about. But this is a good question, and I'll do it out there on Twitter and I'll throw it out to you listeners as well if you want to share your thoughts. And the question was because we were talking about Indiana being a good opponent just because of their being in them being in the Big Ten. They're you know, they're they're close. They're not a school that you really should be scared of in football. So it was a bummer that they backed out and that led to Louisville having to play Jacksonville State. So the question on the text line was if in fact there is a separation which may happen between Power four and G five and fcs, and you only you only played against your conference opponents and then you other you know, you'll have let's say you stay at eight, you have four non conference opponents every year, but they have to be from the Big twelve, the Big ten of the SEC. If you're a Louisville fan, who would you want to play? And I have my answers, but I'm curious what you guys think as well, and I'll get to some of the responses that have come in on Twitter. And again, if you want to give us a call, you can do that too. Five oh two, five to seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number to call in. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at five o two six, five three zero seven ninety. So here, you know, minor, pretty simple, And I'll tell you why. As much as I don't see them as a rivalry anymore, it's got to be Cincinnati. We did trivia yesterday for the Brooks and Done ticket giveaway, which by the way, we're gonna give away tickets once again today five thirty to go see Brooks and Done at the KFC. I'm center, but Cincinnati, like they feel like a family member in a way, Like I remember whenever Cincinnati got left out when Louisville made the jump to the ACC, and I kind of feel bad for him. Like they're they were a rival in a way, but we were so alike. They're not as successful as us, that's quite clear overall historically speaking. But you were peers with them really in a way you aren't with anybody else. Like they're also a city school. They're just up seventy one. You've played them, I believe more. I don't know if that's changed since they've not been in the conference together, but at one point the opponent that you had played more than anybody in football and basketball was Cincinnati. So you know, it's almost like they were the brother you could pick on, but if somebody else did, you kind of found yourself not necessarily defending them, but like you know, I mean, there's got to be at leat some Wolf fans that know what I mean, Like their a rival and you want to see them lose. But like they're kind of like you're broader in a way, so it would make sense to play them. They are now in the Big Ten. I'm not the Big ten, the Big twelve, and I'm sure that natal like if they played each other, the nastiness would come back because it was there. I mean, going up to Nippert, Cincinnati fans coming down here, like you know, there's it's not Kentucky as far as the rivalry and the animosity that comes with that, but like there's a lot of tradition and history there and you want to beat them. Beating them feels better than beating other teams of that caliber just because of the history that you have. So it's gonna be weird because I'm always gonna be grateful that they took Scott Saderfield off our hands, but I would say, you know, let's just say in two years when Satterfield's is not there and if they ended up becoming like an opponent, we scheduled a series with Like I probably stopped thinking about how grateful I am for them taking sat off our hands and start, you know, wanting to beat their brains in because they are a rival. They're not Kentucky as far as the rivalry, but their arrival. So I would go to Cincinnati and then after that, you know, two more and by the way, I'm including Kentucky, like, Kentucky's gonna always be the game you should play, and the non conferensation if you only get one, Like let's say you had an eleven game league schedule and you could only play one non conference opponent, it should be Kentucky. Now I don't know if it would be, but it should be so Kentucky and Cincinnati the other two. I wasn't as I had to give it some thought, and I was I hesitated to go with what a lot of people have already started sharing on the text line. I'm seeing people on Twitter saying the same thing. But West Virginia I kind of wanted to be like, yeah, I don't know if we really need to play them, like, you know, but but they it goes back to what I said about Cincinnati. If you beat West Virginia, because you know how disgusting and vile their fans are, there'd be a little something sweet there, like it would it would mean a little more than beating another in any other team that's in that same status in the Big Twelve. And there is history there by the way, like there's there's they're a real rival. Again, they're not They're not Kentucky, and they're probably not even Cincinnati, but they're a rival. There was a trophy involved in the game at some point. Therefore, that means they are a real rival. And I feel like they're good, and I don't know about Cincinnati. I mean again, Cincinnati did just play in the College Football Playoff not long ago. And to be fair, they've proven, meaning Cincinnati, that if they have a competent coach, they can win. I mean, Luke Fickle did a great job there, Brian Kelly did a great job there. Even Tubberville before it fell apart, had a good start there. Like you can win at Cincinnati. So there's also I want to play teams that if you beat them, maybe they have a down year occasionally, and there's not a whole lot of value there, but more often than not, there's gonna be at least some value in beating a team like that. Cincinnati's terrible now, but like, you know, wouldn't be a shocker that if in a couple of years they get a new coach and they're not a top fifteen team annually, but like there's some value in that victory if you beat them. Same thing of you said for West Virginia. They've not transitioned to the Big twelve very well, but you know, you're not scared of play in them. You feel like you could consistently beat them and it wouldn't be doing anything that's you know, that special, and maybe every now and then when you beat them, they're pretty good. So West Virginia, Cincinnati, Kentucky and then my fourth I don't love this one, but this is what I decided to go with. John Tennessee interesting close enough, they're a big brand, and they're the one game that you would know, probably on a consistent basis, you wouldn't be favored. Now, I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, Becausehype has done a good job of getting them turned around. But Tennessee post Phil Follmer like they were. They were, they were not scary, Like didn't Indiana play them in a bowl game? They didn't barely lost. Is a field goal, wasn't it? I think it was like a last twenty four something like that. I feel like it was like a last second field goal or something. But or maybe I'm thinking of the Indiana Duke game, same thing. I mean, that happened in the last second field goal too. So Tennessee, you know, I'm not I'm not saying, yeah, you better go play Tennessee, like you know, like tenn It's not like Louisville. I'm picking them because I feel like, oh, they'd be an easy game. No, like they that would be of the of the non conference opponents. That's the one that, like every year, you know, is going to be tough, even when they're not a top ten team or top fifteen team, Like they're gonna have personnel on their roster that you better pack lunch when you come and play them, because they've got SEC. I mean Tennessee to me, and you're starting to see it a little bit. You saw it a couple of years ago. I think hypel really was that was the big addition for them that that that paid off in a big way. But Tennessee they're the kind of school that their ceiling I don't know if it's back to what it once was many many years ago when they were actually national championship caliber, But with nil and the portal, their ceiling is lifted, right because they're not in the same base in Tennessee as Alabama, Georgia, Florida. Like, they don't have a rich recruiting base to where they can just recruit within state and you know, bring in top five classes or something like that, but they can use the portal and the money that they have. They have a humongous fan base. So I would go with Tennessee, and they're the game that like it would be a destination trip for Louisville fans because you know, their stadium is insane. I mean, I mean they sell it out. I mean even when Tennessee stunk, like, they would have a full house almost and they've got a big, passionate fan base. So that's what I would go with. I would go with West Virginia, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and of course they'rowing Kentucky in there as well. All Right, some of the things we'll get into today. The bye we sucks, but I'm gonna not complain about it anymore, I mean, other than letting you know that it does suck. But yesterday I mentioned some stats about UFL football that I think are encouraging. Again, maybe you don't need encouragement. Maybe you feel real good about where Louisville is and I do as well, but I just feel left out. Right, You've only played two games against nobody's and now you've got a bye week this early in the season, because everybody's got two bi weeks now, so you know, I'm feening for some real competition to see where Louisville stands, But unfortunately we have to wait until next Saturday when they played Georgia Tech. So until then, I want to take a look at some numbers. And I don't want to nerd out too much on stats because that could be boring, but just some you know, like Louisville despite not playing anybody, has actually jumped up quite a bit as far as the analytics, the projections, that kind of stuff. And look, it's probably because of Louisville dominating two bad teams and other teams that Louisville plays not winning like some team struggling, So we'll do that and take a look at some bowl projections. Also, I do want to take a look at this NCAA lawsuit, and again I feel like that's not interesting stuff that people would really care a whole lot about. However, you've got a South Dakota I think it's South Dakota, a South Dakota senator maybe that has filed a lawsuit against the NCAA. And I feel like, first of all, lawsuit overload, right, Like there's everybody's sueing everybody. The NCAA is getting sued left and right every day. But I think this lawsuit filed by a South Dakota senator on behalf of the lower level schools. I mean, he can't put in his lawsuit that he's doing and on behalf of anybody other than I guess the university's in his state. But it's such a no brainer as to why the nc DOUBLEA just doesn't need to exist anymore because this lawsuit is legit. Did the NAA even consider the fact that, like, it's insane to hold those schools of the FCS level and the G five level to the same standard financially, like asking them telling them that you know, they're now you know, they're now going to be not required but like urged to pay student athletes up to twenty two million dollars a year. They can't do that, like you know they when the NCUBLEA was going through the legal process to try to come up with this settlement where they got to pay a bunch of money back because they you know, didn't share any money with the talent, the workers essentially the players. And then moving forward there would be an annual amount of money that that schools are encouraged to pay and you know there's a max. Like they never had anybody from the lower level, which, by the way, they still exist, right, the fcs and the G five are still part of the n double A. Like why you would not have somebody representing that group of schools within this negotiation is just malpractice and like they have every right to say, you didn't, like you can't do this, like we're not like, you know, we're not the same. So long story short. The reason I think it's interesting is because it could be where you finally see that divide and everybody realizes what are we doing here? You know, Jacksonville State is not the same thing as Louisville. You know, butt Crack State is not the same thing as Indiana. Did I get it wrong again? I hope butt Crack State's not the same thing as Indiana. I mean, but Indiana used to be on caliber with the same caliber program as butt Crackstate. But now they got signetti and they're not. That's fair, it's changed. So anyways, we're loaded the rest of the way. Don't forget. Also, we've got tickets, as I mentioned earlier, Brooks and Down. We'll give them away at five thirty at four oh five. Coming up here in about thirty five minutes or so, we're going to be joined by Kent Spencer from WHS eleven. So stick with us. It's a Wednesday edition Coffee and Company, fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Also appreciate our friends over at Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshment Awards program. If you haven't already, it's easy to do. You can download the app in the iTunes App Store or the Google Play Store. Again, it's easy to do, it's free, and you'll save money at the gas pump. In fact, twenty five cents off on your initial fill up after you sign up. So again, take advantage of that, all right. I was telling John this before the show today, super random thing happened that I feel like it's got to be like some kind of a sign. I don't know what the sign is, but when I got here today, it was like one thirty ish one forty five around there, and usually somebody's in the studio until about two, and because I wasn't feeling well, I just wanted to be outside in the fresh air and you know, honestly like get the day started, because I've been feeling like crap since last night. So I ended up going and sitting in one of the tables here at four Street Live. We're on the second level, so there's some tables that are set out that I never see anybody sitting. Add to you, John, No, I've never seen anybody at them. But I guess like if you work downtown or you work in four Street Live like we do, you can just go out there and you eat your lunch and you know, have a smoke break. Yeah, it's a beautiful day out. So I went and sat down, and I was actually finishing finishing up a phone call, but I had set at the far table, on the far seat that you know is the closest to the balcony where I can overlook and see you know, the lower you know, the main level of four Street down there where sports and socialists and you know where they have the concerts and whatnot. So I'm sitting there, I don't know, maybe ten minutes or so, and I happened to look down and there's a woman that is that is walking walking towards the other end of four Street live and she's kind of like looking up to see, like what's up here on the second level where we are, And sure enough it's my mother. I randomly ran into my mother, and you know, she knows I work here, but she'd never been to the to the to the she's never been up here where we where we are. In fact, she's been four Street, but like she's never seen our offices here or anything like that. And she works downtown, she has for a long time, but it's like four blocks away it's really not that close. But I guess, you know, she was making her walk to the Walgreens or at CVS. I think it might be CVS. That's that's down here across from the seal box. So you know, I'm like mom, and then so I ended up walking down there and talking. But like it, it's I'm sure you've probably ran into somebody that, like you talked to every day, or maybe you talk to every other day, or somebody that you're really close with, and you just happen to not know that you're gonna be at a certain place at the same time. Again, it's not as if I randomly saw her in another country. I mean, she was literally about fifty yards from where I work, but like we never you know, just I never would have expected her to be there, and I've never sat out there before. Like I usually walk in right from the garage and just come straight into our building and or coming straight into our offices, and you know, I never would ever think to go over there. So anyways, she's leaving to go on a on a ten day vacation tomorrow, and I actually had dinner with her last night before they left, so she could see us and the kids and everything, but like, I don't know, like it was nice to see her one more time before she leaves for you know, a long time. And that's that's what happens when you g a little bit older, John, you start to worry about your parents, like you're their parents. Like I know that her and my step dad are gonna have a great trip and and you know, have a lot of fun, but you know, telling her to be careful, you know, make sure you know, check in when you're there, make sure you FaceTime.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think they I think, well, I don't know, hope not. I assume that they. I assume they think it's sweet. H My dad, on the other hand, I kind of I'm kind of like a dad to him at times about like not not you know, not really. I mean, he's he's he's the father figure in our relationship, of course, but like when he tells me, yeah, I had this thing going on medically, I probably should get it looked at him, like, well, how long's it been going on? I don't know, a few months. Why haven't you gone to the doctor with that? Hell's wrong with you? But I really lecture him about taking care of himself with which from from what I understand, he's in great health. But you know, when you get older, you be you know, and I'm a parent myself. I'm not a parent to my parents, but you know, the parental uh you know, nature is there at times, and you know you got to you gotta stay on your parents about taking care of themselves when they get older. And I'm very fortunate to where my parents are all in great health, but uh, you know, got to make sure they stay on top of it, all right. So the question that I threw out there, We've got some responses here, And the question was if if we ever no longer have Power five versus FCS or G five teams in football, and you have a twelve team schedule eight conference games, of course, and then you only can play your non conference games against teams from the Big ten, the Big twelve of the SEC. I said that I would go with Kentucky's a no brainer. So really I'm just asking which three because if you're somebody who claims that these two shouldn't play each other, I'm officially kicking you out of the rivalry, like you don't count anymore. You're done, I mean, don't take it personal, but like, come on, like the rivalry should always be played. And I'm saying that as somebody who hasn't beat Kentucky as a fan and like a long time. It's not like I'm just wanting to end it like Louisville get'll win and end it. No, like they should play every year. And I know I've said this many times. No need to get into it, but like even if you're somebody that does find yourself not hating the other as much as most fans do, like you are pretty content, like you don't hate Kentucky the once root for them in the National Championship when it's not there. Yeah, like I can't, I can't relate to that. But like even if you're somebody that like is not as anti the other, you would still agree that like the like rivalries make sports great.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So I'm just including Kentucky in there as a no brainer. Although maybe there is a scenario down the line where these two don't play each other. I mean, the scenario that I laid out would make it to where I mean, think about that, Like there's already talk that if Kentucky I'm sorry, if the SEC did go to nine that Kentucky would remove Louisville and just play their two MAX schools and and an FCS team, right, But like if they couldn't do that and the SEC went to nine and they said you only could play Power five schools and they didn't schedule Louisville, I mean that would be like, I mean, there's no way to be admitting you're scared, yeah exactly, And I think you'd be admitting your skill. And here's here's what makes that whole thing crazy is that, yes, it would be admitting you're scared, but it evend be. It would be that even if you you know, like it.
Speaker 1: Scared regardless, Yeah exactly, You're you're eliminating a for opponent exactly game.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's scared regardless. And here's what's crazy is that I don't believe for a second Kentucky fans and a football standpoint, are scared of Louisville. Like even if they end up winning four games in there, four and I guess that would be what four and seven in the last game of the year in Louisville's you know, nine and two or something. And I'm not predicting that's the schedules, but or the records. But let's just say that it is they're still gonna feel like, well, it's Louisville, We'll still go beat them, and that's Louisvee's fault. Last year could have been the year where like, even if you won in an ugly game and you didn't look like you were, you know, dominant, but you still just won the game. That would have not put an end to Kentucky fans being like confident, but it would have made it to where the Louisville fans could do this, Yeah, you picked on Scott Sadderfield, who was easy to pick on. Mark Stubs could Alpha Sadderfield, He and Alpha and like it's a different Like we could say it's a different world with Jeff from which, by the way, it is, make no mistake about it. But the fact that in Jeff's first year his team was really good and Kentucky wasn't and they still beat you, Like it's just it's worst case scenario. So anyways, outside of Kentucky, I went with West Virginia, Cincinnati, and Tennessee. And if you missed it, the reason I went with those two Cincinnati West Virginia is because one there's history there. They are rivals, You've played them a lot, and it feels when you do beat them not like it does when you beat Kentucky. But clearly there's a little something extra there because of the history between the schools and with Tennessee. I just like the thought of having the one non conference opponent that you know, like more often than not is probably gonna be favored against you, and it would be a monster win if you could pull it off, and the environment going to their games in Knoxville would be great. They would certainly bring a lot of fans here. So that's what I went with. But here are some of the responses. This is from Keith. He said Cincinnati, West Virginia and then UCF and then he mentioned that he still has beef with beef with Storm Johnson. Yeah, that could have been a perfect season had Louisville not slipped up and lost to Storm Johnson and Blake Bortles back in Charlie Strong last year. I think it was. Yeah, the only loss they had that year was to Central Florida, who ended up winning the Big East. I'm sorty winning the American and uh then they ended up beating Baylor. I think in a BCS game. So that was a good Central Florida team, But I don't have any like, I don't have any feeling towards them at all. I mean, in fact, Louis has played them. I mean, if you still got beef with Storm Johnson, Like, is there something more to it than that? I mean, they did beat us in a year that really, like Louis louisvill would have been undefeated that year had they not lost that game. So yeah, that one still stings in a way that like Louis has played them twice since then and beat them both times, beat them down there in Orlando and then beat them uh here thanks to that uh that inner that picked six from Jalen Alderman. So yeah, I don't really and yeah, that doesn't do much for me Central Florida. But again, everybody's got their own opinion. Uh this says Michigan, Ohio State in Indiana New Blood and the home and home games would be awesome. Yeah, I don't know if I want to play Ohio State and Michigan that terrible. Yeah, because look, look I think what I laid out, like those are all games that on any given like you could lose, right, But they're all like winnable Ohio State if you played them every year, how many and again, any team can happen in any night, right like an upset. I'm not acting like Louisville would never ever be in a position to ever beat Ohio State. But if the pro like when they're at their best, and Louisville is at their best, if they played ten times, Louisvill's probably winning two at most, if if even that. So yeah, that would be great, But like that would make it to where you know, it's not that I want to stack wins against bums, but you could be really, really good and lose ninety five percent of the time you play both those teams, especially Ohio State. We'll see what Michigan looks like long term, because I mean, they'd fallen off in a major way. And even when Harball was there, they were a lot better with him than they were prior, but they didn't really become the elite team until the one and the only Connor Stallions came along and helped them cheat, and they did not look like they belonged in the same level of football as Texas the other day on their home field. So you know, yeah, this This is from mister Sparkle on Twitter. He says Cincinnati, Penn State in UK. I'm already including UK, mister Sparkle, Penn State. Yeah, I mean they're They're a brand that would be a good atmosphere to go to go to watch games. Evan says Kentucky Cincy in West Virginia. Again, like I'm including Kentucky people. I mean, it's a no brainer. Uh. This says Cincinnati. This is from Harry. He says Cincinnati West. For everybody's saying Cincinnati West Virginia, which I guess I should have expected that, but this is Ohio State, Indiana or Tennessee as the others. Yeah, I uh again I Tennessee. There's not like it's not like I'm you know, singling them out because I think Louisville can go beat them annually or that like they you know, But I just feel like they're close enough. Like I guess you could probably put I don't know, Florida in there too. They're not as close, but like that would be a similar type of game, although Florida's a con. I don't know, I'm getting a little bit, uh, I guess caught up in how good Tennessee's been under hype in the last few years, but really it's only this is the third year that they're looking that they're like expected to be pretty good, and they did look really good against Cincy State, but prior to that, they were, I mean, they were pretty beatable for for a while there. Post Philip Follmer, let's see this says this is from uh doctor Giggles on Twitter. So we've got mister Sparkle and doctor Giggles. Those are great names, great names of I mean, I wouldn't expect any different type of names from our listeners doctor Sparkle and mister Giggles or doctor Giggles and mister Sparkle. But he says, Oklahoma stay because of Gundy, Like you just not like Gundy maybe just for the memes. Yeah, I mean he's a character. Cincinnati of course, and then TCU because they're an old Conference USA opponent. That's random as hell. But you know, I kind of, uh, I kind of don't hate it, but for me, you got to like, I don't know, like they did just play in a national championship game, but I kind of feel like it's going to be a big time outlier, Like that's gonna be trivia question that like nobody would ever get right, Like of these schools who's played in a national championship TCU, Baylor or Oklahoma State. Like maybe somebody would get TCU right, but like that's such a random thing, and they don't look to be that good now, So you know, I don't hate it. And again, there's no right or wrong, it's just your opinion. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We'll let you know what percentage chance Louisville has to win each of the remaining games according to the ESPN FPI. I'll be consistent. I think it's a flawed formula. But you know what, they shove it in her face all the time because you know it's the four letter network. But if you are somebody that does have a high opinion of the of the FPI, then you know you're gonna feel pretty good about what they think Louisville. So stick with us. It is Coffee and Company we are feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. If you want to be a part of the show, you can five y two five to seven one seventy nine is the number if you want to give us a call. Let's go to the phone lines now and we will welcome in. Nno, how are we doing? Brother? You know you're there? HELLU do we lose him? I hear something.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's unaware that we were going to take him this earlier or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know you're there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I'm here, man. Sorry, hey man, I wanted to how you doing, brothers. I've been listening to you man and just didn't get a chance to call in. But yeah, man, I wanted me and my brother was debating today and I had to argue that a freshman quarterback, I mean, brand speaking new, straight out of high school starting a high intense game. I don't know, maybe against a big program. I think a freshman quarterback is more likely to succeed in that environment versus a rookie quarterback straight out of college in the NFL in a high intensity Yeah, and I wanted to get shipped out on that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: Go thank you you know, appreciate it, brother, Yeah, I uh. As far as the quarterbacks in those situations in regards to like how like are they are they set up to succeed? I think in the NFL, it just depends on your situation more than anything else. I mean, I think in the NFL, if you go to a team like Kayla Williams with the Bears, I think you know as good as he is. Him having individual success is one thing, but him being so successful that the Bears become a really really good team. And with just that being like the big acquisition, right, Like, let's say your personnel, your coaching staff is relatively the same, but you were so bad that you ended up with a top three pick and you picked a quarterback and really the again, the big the big change from year one to year two or the next year, I should say, would be that you drafted this rookie quarterback. Like, I feel like you're gonna have a tough time giving them results right away? Now can you have success and show upside and make it look as if they made a good investment. Totally different conversation there, because there's been many quarterbacks that get thrown under the fire their teams win you know, seven eight games, not in contention for the playoff or really to do anything in the postseason. But yet you can tell, Okay, they're gonna they made the right decision, right, they need to build around him. They're going to continue to get better. But that's that's their quarterback for the future. So, like, I think it'd be tougher to actually succeed. I think if you're a true freshman quarterback, especially now with the way these guys, the highly regarded quarterbacks, I mean, they're enrolling early, they're playing year round, not just for their high school team. They're in these quarterback camps and you know, the elite eleven that kind of stuff. So I would say that if you, like, for example, nobody's starting true freshman quarterbacks anymore in college unless you have any elite one that you know is that good or you know you have you know, you have no other option, right Like, you can't go to the portal and get a great quarterback because you're not an appealing program. You don't have an il. So like right now, Dylan Reola Nebraska, who looks a lot like and clearly wants to look a lot like Patrick Mahomes, he's the number two quarterback in the country coming out of high school, and he is, I mean, gonna have a lot of success from Nebraska this year. I don't think they're going to maybe I don't mean they're gonna win the Big Ten, but like he's going to be a factor in their success because he has the talent and he's got veterans around him, probably guys from the portal that have played college football for you know, three four years. Even so I would say you have a better chance, Like, first of all, you gotta have talent, right, Like if we're talking about guys that are believed to be worthy of being a top draft pick at a quarterback in the NFL, or a guy that is legitimately worthy of the five star billing he's getting out of high school, I would say that the best chance for that player to not only have success but provides success to the team when it comes to wins and losses would be the high school the college freshman quarterback. That's just but again, really to p on the situation, like for example, Lamar and even Teddy, those guys got drafted at the end of the first round. You know why because they went to teams that were pretty good the year before. So when you plug those guys in, they're already joining a team that's pretty well put together. That's why Russell Wilson was able to succeed so much with Seattle when he got there. They were built to be successful. He just had to really be a game manager and not screw up. Good question, you know, and appreciate you calling. Good to hear from you as always. All right, not a lot of time left here, but real quick as far as the FPI, and again, I know a lot of people, you know, myself included, don't really think the FPI is all that valuable, but it is something to gauge at this point, you know, when you are on a bye week and you know you're trying to see how you stack up and how your schedule looks after everybody's played at least a couple of games. So right now, the only two games Louisville has a bigger percentage chance of losing than winning is Clemson. They have a forty five point seven percent chance of beating Clemson according to the FPI, and they have a forty four percent chance of beating Notre Dames, so pretty close. I mean, are those are close to fifty to fifty And by the way, Clemson, you had a fifty five percent chance of beating them last week, but they demolished app State, which, of course the FPI is gonna crunch not only did you win or lose, but the other numbers like how much did you win by that kind of stuff, So you know, not saying it means a whole lot, but from a percentage standpoint, when they crunch the numbers, they run this formula. Louisville is expected to win every game other than those two. But again those two right now, it's not as if you know, there's a huge difference. Here's a forty five, forty four percent chance for those two games. I mean, John, you were telling me Indiana they're now and the FPI projected to win, have a better chance of winning every game but two, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every game I'm looking at them right now except for Michigan and Ohio State towards the end of the season, which it makes total sense. It makes it feel like it's kind of I mean, you already said to flawed formula, and I think this not that Indiana can't have a great season, but like that just seems way out of reach. But maybe it's just because I'm not used to something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's new, it's different. Indiana usually is not a team that makes spected it to beat many teams in the Big Ten. But it is fun to see. But you expect him to beat UCLA this weekend. I do expect him to beat Ucla. How about how about Signetty taking the Hoosiers to La as favorites.
Speaker 1: That's something that if this game was played in Week one, Ucla is probably favored by eight or nine points.
Speaker 2: I would agree with those lines. I would agree. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side and we will get the four o'clock hour started with the one and only Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven. Stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety