Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony, Day two of Big ten media days, and to say it has been a whirlwind pace today would be a little bit of an understatement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of stuff going on, some stuff going on at the same time as other stuff. But we do what we can. We try our best and sometimes do we fall short. No, it's everybody else's faults.
Speaker 2: The world has failed us in some ways, but in other ways we have been able to overcome.
Speaker 1: That's right, and that's a lot it's overcome. But you know, you face a little adversity in the summer. It sets you up for the season, but we will also face adversity covering games.
Speaker 3: But welcome everybody.
Speaker 1: We have now finished talking with Ryan Day, talking with Julian's saying and Jayleen McLain and Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 3: I want to talk.
Speaker 1: About Ryan Day here right now, and Tom, I want you to try to guess. So Jeremiah Smith is have many conversation with Mickey Muratti and Nick Coach Bick said, Hey, do you know who the toughest player on the team is? And Jeremiah is like, you know, thinking about it, it's like who And then Mick told him. And then when Ryan Day was told this story and told this answer, there was.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, well I'm going to guess and I don't think this is the same story. But I was in the back for Jeremiah and for him talking about one thing, and he he mentioned rock boyd oh, and in terms of rock Boy, Well, you know what, we're gonna say that, Jeremias the show because you obviously are expecting a different answer, So why don't you tell me the answer?
Speaker 3: Quarterback Julian's saying it.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, if that's.
Speaker 2: True, that's potentially a really big development because I know I was there when Jeremiah spposed to talking about him in some other contexts, and he talked about the fact that he is ready to run more. I think they've been training together during the off season, and you know that it is very much I think an I Am the Tiger situation where this is potentially a contract year for both of those guys, and I think both guys recognize that both guys recognize they weren't that far from winning it all last year, and you get a little bit close. You know, you put it, you get yourself a little bit closer, you may get the team a little bit closer.
Speaker 1: Well, and they Mick has them training together or in the workouts together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in the weight room.
Speaker 1: So you know, Julian obviously likes that because Jeremiah is incredibly hard workers, so that was fun for him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just.
Speaker 1: The having that guy be whether you know, Nick is blowing somebody up or what.
Speaker 3: But it's like your quarterback.
Speaker 1: Being able to answer the call in those in those ways then allows for them to do things in other ways during the game when you know all of this, all of the stuff you're doing off off of the field applies on the field. So I thought that was one interesting thing, the one thing that I was trying to find out, and it was impossible, almost possible to get a question in the offensive line and where is everybody wears Austin Sierveld wears In more time, they hope to have that answer by about practice nine or ten. So I have enough information that either Ian Moore could do it, or Austin Sierveld should do it, or Josh Berdia needs to play, or you know, like they he said they're gonna go with their best five, and they need to know who that is by about practice nine or ten, which is week two of practice, so that you can so that you can begin getting ready for game planning with your starting lineup.
Speaker 2: And that's about the time that they typically will say they want to have a starting quarterback as well. And I get it. I understand, and I do think there is potentially some legitimate question here because Josh da the fact that Josh Pvida wasn't practicing this spring means you really have not seen the different permutations of this line working together in a full practice set up, Like there's certain stuff they can do this time of year, but there's other stuff they're limited and they can't do, and so you really haven't seen this in an eleven on eleven situation. So I get it, and I think there probably is a legitimate question at that. You know, there are sometimes when we will be at Big ten media days and they'll say, well, the quarterback competition still an open question is like is it really because can I bet on one of the outcomes? Because I think I know that you're going to have this outcomings to be able to announce it on about the.
Speaker 4: Tuesday of the third week. I bet I can get that.
Speaker 2: This one feels like a little bit more of a legitimate question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And rarely has the offensive line that has been the number one offensive line in the spring been the exact offensive line over the past few years in fall camp. And so this one, it's not a huge surprise. It's kind of you know, we've all been fantasy booking this thing, but there wasn't there wasn't enough evidence in the spring when Craveld and Philip Daniels are both out for two weeks, and Dean more you know he played, but this one spring camp not to let you know that he's ready to go.
Speaker 3: Options.
Speaker 2: Well, this is this is one of those would you bet on it? Okay, would you bet your house on it? Like, there's a lot more than just a house at stake with this Ohio State football season, in really every Ohio State football season, because if you go out in the first round of the playoff, well that's a very different kind of offseason for coaches, players, program donors, everything than if you win the national champion him and so there is a lot at stake this year and you look at the schedule, and there's a lot at stake very early in this season, and there's a lot at steak in the middle part of the season. You don't have the luxury as well. We'll figure it out, you know. Remember when Michigan had the quarterback battle, It's like, well, we'll have one guy start one game and one guy start the second game, and then we'll sort of figure it out from there.
Speaker 4: They don't have the luxury that.
Speaker 3: This year now. And you mentioned the schedule.
Speaker 1: He said, this schedule is going to get them used to playing and accustomed to playing and comfortable playing into the fourth quarter in the playoffs. Should they win these games, Yeah, these regular season games. And I believe there's an Iowa reporter writer here asking Ryan, what do you remember about that twenty seventeen game in Iowa City, And his quote was like, I've wiped that from my mind.
Speaker 2: He said, he said, quote that was really bad. And he said, quote, I try not to remember that game. Thanks for bringing it up, Tony. I don't think he really meant that last part.
Speaker 1: No, And he the good news is he knows what to expect there. He knows that anything can happen, and most of it is bad. But also that's just one of the games. There's Texas, there's Indiana, usc SO, and that's just the road games.
Speaker 2: Well, and Jeremiah Smith when he was listing some of the tough road games, the first three games he listed were Texas, Indiana, and.
Speaker 4: Nebraska, and I thought, interesting, I don't think that would be the third game that most people would list.
Speaker 2: But you know, the even even the potentially fifth toughest road game they have this year is no joke.
Speaker 4: This is a very, very challenging schedule.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't include the home games against Michigan and Oregon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And so they're going to be well prepared for the playoffs and and operating in those final moments that maybe didn't go so well last year for them. And even even Julian I think Julian Saying talked a little bit about how it was that last year's schedule is easy.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, let's just say what it is.
Speaker 1: Last year's schedule is easier than this year's schedule, and so they will be more prepared. Doesn't mean they're gonna win them all, but this won't be the first time during an uh oh, we better come up or something like they always go back to the two thousand and two team which they were born uh oh uh huh, and then we've got to deal with this, and like every game was like that. So by the time you get to Miami double overtime, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole season was brought to you by Spaghettios and they but they by the time they got to the end of the season, they had been playing in those games all season long. Miami had like a close game against Boston College that year and a close game against Florida State, and that was kind of it. They just kind of killed everyone else. So that was not and you know, that was a one game postseason at that point, so they didn't even have a conference championship game to prepare. It was just regular season BCS national title. So yeah, that you can you can certainly make a point that, yo, this will prepare them better for the playoff, but also don't lose three of the games, because then you might not make the playoff.
Speaker 1: One one thing that Ryan day, he continues to be asked about this, even though nothing has changed between this bring and now in terms of pace of play. I think people are just wanting a different answer. Yeah, to say no, we're.
Speaker 3: Going to go faster.
Speaker 1: That's that's what are you sure you're stilln't And basically he said what we've said in terms of you can't say it didn't work in twenty twenty four because the pace of play was essentially the same between the two years. It's like, you can't say it didn't work in twenty twenty four, but you also can't say it did work in twenty twenty five. But what you can't do is the easiest thing to do. And he said this about something else and the loss is the easiest thing to do is do nothing or change everything. Yeah, And instead you've got to find what worthy issues. And as he said in the spring, it's not about the pace of play, it's not about tempo. It's about efficiency. And I think people are just like, no, it's about we want to see faster and seems like what the questions are, It's like the answer is not going to change. They've not played a game yet. They have not you know, had sixty two snaps and lost to where now they're like, oh, we better move faster.
Speaker 2: Yet, right, And it's something where people have made up their mind that that was a cause of issue, and was it the cause of the issue.
Speaker 4: It may have been, I can't tell you it wasn't.
Speaker 2: But also I don't think you can definitively say, you know, hey, if if they had gone at the exact same pace and Julian Sayan hadn't thrown that pick six, or if Julian Sayan's knee hadn't scraped the turf against Indiana, or if Jaden Fielding hadn't missed the field goal, you could play at the exact same pace and win the game. Now we've gone through the whole game theory thing, and you know, if you're a big favorite, you want to have, you want to maximize your number of players. You can build upon your you know, incremental advantage at each So like I mean, I can certainly make the game theory argument for playing with a little more tempo. But they have won with this, they have lost with this. This is not necessarily the single driving factor. It's certainly one potential piece of this. And you know, I think Arthur Smith is probably going to come in and have his own thoughts on this, because yeah, he's done this at a different level.
Speaker 4: He's he has been in charge.
Speaker 2: Of you know, not just spring an but running full NFL teams, so he's certainly going to have his own views as well.
Speaker 1: Last thing, Brian Day mentioned a particular position group that he's definitely going to have his eye on.
Speaker 4: I was there for this one.
Speaker 1: This season, and he talked about the running backs because did not see Bo Jackson or Isaiah West in the spring. And he mentioned something that we've talked about, which is the freshman running backs that the freshman thousand yard rushers like.
Speaker 3: He didn't go to the detail, but he talked about JK.
Speaker 1: Dobbins outstanding as a freshman. Didn't want to call it a sophomore slump, but he was a much different back three yards for carrying different back.
Speaker 3: And what they can't have is for.
Speaker 1: Bo Jackson and Isaiah West to have a similar drop off. They need to pick it up. You can't go up, down, up. They need them this year to be cranking. And that's why I said, I'm going to be watching that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, that was a position that he talked about it being a little bit of a question in the spring and a question last summer. That was a position where he had questions there as well. I don't think they've got a definitive answer there. I think they've wanted to.
Speaker 4: Pretend answers there.
Speaker 2: And he went through, you know, yeah, Bo you got you, you have Isaiah, You've got you, Kobe Jackson, He talked about Legend Bay.
Speaker 4: He mentioned Turbo Rogers.
Speaker 2: Those were the This is one of these things where we pay attention to the names he says, and the order he says, the ben because that's generally a little bit telling, and that was the order.
Speaker 4: Fourth name was Legend Bay. He went into a little more detail on Legend Bay later.
Speaker 2: Legend Bay obviously missed some time in the spring healthy this summer, so that's no longer a concern. The quote was the talent is there for sure, you can't deny that. But he later said, well, there's more to it than just talent, Like you can be talented.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: That doesn't get you on the field, that doesn't get you carries. It means you're in the conversation. But they need him to kind of do all the other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wrote down the exact quote, but it was something to the effect he added, when he's got the ball, you're gonna notice him.
Speaker 3: There was something to that there.
Speaker 2: There's no question that when you see the ball in his hands, he's going to stick out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that's I think that's exciting for everybody. So that's basically a wrap up of Ryan Day. We will have much much more, as I said, and talk to Jeremiah Smith, talk with Julian Sam, talk with Jaylen McLain, talking with other coaches Big ten coaches. We are throwing a bunch of stuff in the Buckeye Weekly Audio podcast side of some of our recaps and thoughts and some of the things that coaches are saying.
Speaker 3: Some of it is definitely related to Ohio State.
Speaker 1: So I would recommend if you have not yet checked those out, if you're watching it that thumbs up subscribe to the channel. Thank you for those who have and always continue to find us over at Buckeye Insiders dot com.
Speaker 3: Our time is not done here. We have one more day of this.
Speaker 2: We have a lot more to go today before we get to tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But yes, we got a lot more.
Speaker 1: And of course we're throwing all kinds of stuff on the Buckeye Insiders message board where you sign up now for the price of tom What a lousy change.
Speaker 4: Change and you know that was true five years ago. Now, oh jeez, now, I mean it's probably like two thirds of a lousy chain store.
Speaker 1: Pizza for the price of a hot and ready and crazy bread. You can become a member now, so that will do it for mere. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 2: This time. What about you.
Speaker 4: Let it through a way?
Speaker 3: Don't no one tell me I wish it never meant nothing to me? Where I.
Speaker 2: Where my father way?
Speaker 4: If you can tell me that's the boy, it's all right.
Speaker 3: We can see you currently. That attatatatatas