Speaker 1: You're listening to episode seventy seven of Game Spot after Dark. On this week's episode, we talk about hit Man three and all of the resident Evil announcements. Hello and welcome to episode seventy seven of Game Spot after Dark. Joining me this week is Callie Plaguey Hello, Tomorrow's saying.
Speaker 2: Hi, and Jean Luke Sydke Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: It is kind of a busy week this week.
Speaker 1: There's the first big release of twenty twenty, and we plan on talking about that quite a bit. But before we do that, we're going to talk about what we've been playing a little bit. CALLI do you want to start?
Speaker 4: Sure? In addition to continuing Personify Royal, in which I'm about I'm a little over eighty hours into that now, I've been playing more Animal Crossing. My biggest thing lately is that I am about to complete my catalog, so I will have crafted every item in the game, collected every single item in the game.
Speaker 5: Goddamn.
Speaker 4: I have literally two more items left. One of them is just something I'll get from next time Gulivar visits, and then I need to craft the Aquarius Urn. It just switched to Aquarius season yesterday and I still need the golden shovel, but that's not catalogical, so it doesn't count. And I'm very eagerly awaiting news about the update that was promised. There's supposed to be a late January update. If I am not mistaken, it's beginning to look a lot like late January. So I would really like to know when we are getting fest of All, which is the holiday that was teased. So you know, I'm just keeping up. I'm staying on the beat, looking out decorating my island.
Speaker 1: What do you think this is like late a late part of a month. Do you think it's the twenties onward?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say like the third and fourth week is like later in the month.
Speaker 6: So I split, like most months are what thirty days? So I split it from fifteenth onward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's late for me. Two halfsh okay for me.
Speaker 2: I could see that too.
Speaker 5: Ten and then you got twenties and then you got the thirties, So like, no, zero's than the tents. I don't know how numbers work, you know what I mean? Every ten every ten days? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely like the older I get, the shorter months feel and the sooner the late part of the month seems to come like it feels like it was just January second the other day. Now it's the twentieth. So you know, anyway, Timorro, what have you been up to?
Speaker 6: I have been doing the same thing that I was doing last week, which is playing Sekio. I'm still like, I've got one trophy left till I can platinum it, and I'm like, I'm getting most of the way there. I think I'm going to get to the point where I make a decision soon. Whoever, I want to get all the skills a scale, all the skills and I so, how did you do it? Uh?
Speaker 2: There was a path I found.
Speaker 1: On like New Game plus plus or something that you could run over and over again that would get you a lot of experience.
Speaker 2: I can show you after the podcasts. But that's what I did.
Speaker 1: What really screwed me over, though, was that I invested in the mask. And if you invest in the mask, that like that costs a lot. I think, like, I don't remember the math, but basically I remember that because I did that, I had to like grind an insane amount more because of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I have got a root, So I'm getting getting there. But it's just I've got a lot of points to get through. And yesterday I was thinking about it and I was like, you know, what would have been good for this if Xbox Snap was still a thing, that would have been so good work. I just like have this on the side or like I don't know why PlayStation doesn't have it as well, like have like Netflix on the side and I could just run it. At one point, I experimented with playing Securo on my iPad using remote play, and I spoke last week about Xbox remote play, which worked almost flawlessly, like it was I was playing Yakuza on my phone using my Xbox controller and it was great. Yesterday I loaded up Securo on my iPad using a dual Shock four controller and it worked. But the PlayStation, like the networking system, it really struggled with it. Like it kept telling me my battery was low on my controller when it wasn't, and it kept like changing video qualities and there was a little bit of latency input delay.
Speaker 3: So like now I've just ordered.
Speaker 6: A very large iPad stand, so like it's literally it goes. It's like it's like a it's like a light stand. So I put it on the floor and then there's like an arm that stretches all the way up, and I put the iPad in front of me. So basically, I'm gonna sit on my couch with an iPad hovering in front of me and then the TV in the background, and I'm just gonna watch stuff on my iPad and I'm going to play Secura on the background and where is my life anymore?
Speaker 5: But then you could put somebody on the iPad and then it could be like you a friend next to you because it's very tall.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, exactly, That's what I'm saying. That's a good idea. So I invested in that and and get that. So I still I'm not one hundred percent sure whether I want to get that platinum. I'm just working towards it. But you know, like I said last week, like having one platinum is more of a statement than having two.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm also kind of like I just want to kind of do the thing and say I completely secret to it its entirety. And I completed it on Saturday twice, like I played it through twice, which was wild, Like I was like, let me just see how many times I can complete this game in a row, and I just went through twice.
Speaker 4: I was like, damn, I even process that when you first said it, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I was just like destroying bosses left friend center.
Speaker 5: Have you ever thought about speed running the game?
Speaker 6: I have thought about it, and then I'm like, it stresses me out, like because you screw up one thing and you're like done. And there's just enough variables in secul where sometimes something will change and I and most good speed runners will know, Oh, I know exactly how this has changed, and I've got a strategy for compensating for that change. Whereas if I do it, I'm just like, fuck my life, why is this different now?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I tried to speed run, but I was streaming it a bit, and I found that game very hard to stream because I was I don't know, I was under It felt like I was under a lot of pressure to do well in front of people, and I don't know. That just didn't work because I needed to focus on the game itself. But it was fun, Like getting the bosses and just crushing them was yeah, satisfying.
Speaker 6: I reached where in my second play through I wasn't really listening to it either, like I had turned the audio off and I had a podcast on, so I was just listening to like Chop or trap House and like various other podcasts and just like playing the game through. So like I can. I think I can do it on a stream where I don't pay too much attention. But I just don't second as one of those games where if you start streaming it, people just pay attention to your performance in a way that's kind of annoying. Like I am blessing streaming it currently and I jump in there and I make a point of never being like you need to hit it this way to try and do this and telling him how to play. But you do get a lot of people that I've seen in other people streams, being like, you're not playing this properly. You need to time, you're like this and you need to go here. I'm just like, no, it's already a stressful game and with high demand execution demand, stop stressing people out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've reached a point where Sekura is relaxing for me now, which is a strange place to be.
Speaker 2: I get that though.
Speaker 1: I remember returning to that game a lot just because of the environments and that, I don't know, it's just meditative once you get past that hump of the difficulty. But anyway, the big game this week is hit Man three. Jean Luke and I have been playing it. But do you want to start with your overall thoughts on Hitman? Now you Hitman Hitman.
Speaker 3: Hitman, Hitman, and.
Speaker 1: That's the title of the episode. But you previewed it a couple months ago, not even a couple months ago, like a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, what are your thoughts.
Speaker 5: It's fantastic. I mean, I it's it's hard to like divorce Hitman three from like the rest of it because, like on face value, it's just, oh, it's like more of hit Man like one and two. It doesn't necessarily add anything new mechanically from two. I would say it's very similar. So if you're going into that, you you might be disappointed, But like for me, it's just like it is a it's more of like a continuation of like the same game that's now complete, is what it feels like, which is like for the reinforced by the fact that you can bring all those levels into hit Man three. So when you load up the game, and if you have everything, you're presented with this menu of just like twenty something hit Man levels with like each one has like sixty plus challenges and all this stuff, and you're like, it's just the amount of hit Man available to you is like it's so good. Like I already I haven't started yet, but I want to go back and like replay all the earlier levels and do them all again, because I there's just something about like the the clockwork nature of hit Man and the way you can like just mess with those little like dioramas of people doing their routines and you're, you know, throwing a wrench in it. Like it's so satisfying. It's I would say, like hit Man three on it so so hit Man three on its sowing very good. Like the levels are, the levels they've added are fantastic. I feel like we've talked very extensively about the first one, which is like Dubui, and the second one, which is a murder mystery I talked previously, but even the other levels after that, like the the third level is you're in Germany and you're in a like an abandoned nuclear facility that's been turned into like a nightclub, and it's just the bet. Like you go inside and it's just this like just blaring music and like strobe lights happening, and you're in this massive crowd and just like the atmosphere of the level is so fantastic. It's also a very unique level in that you have five different people you have to kill, but you don't know where they are, so you have to like find their routes and learn them. And they they can catch you no matter what disguise you're in, but they won't catch you if you're hiding in the crowd. So that's where you have to use like the giant crowd of the the club to like mask yourself. And there's a great kill where you like pretend to be the j and you like.
Speaker 2: I did that one. You can kill two of them too by that, and it's so cool.
Speaker 5: It's so cool. You have to like there you find a thing that says, like, hey man, if you're a DJ and you want to do like the big finish, like you got to tell the tech team before because it might go horribly wrong, So you have to like you know, grab a wrench and like you mess with like the the fuse and then you go in there and you like hype up the crowd and they're all like yeah, and then you're just like all right, I'm gonna drop the base and then it like kills two guys.
Speaker 4: It's incredible.
Speaker 5: It's just so good. I mean, they're they're they're humor in the in is like always been like so on point, Like they do such a good job of of like adding levity to what is like a very serious thing, like you're murdering people, although you're murdering rich people who are assholes, so it's it's fine. Can I say that on a podcast?
Speaker 1: Just to add to that, I was gonna say that the the levels are so good. I actually went back and played some of the older hit Man levels and they're all really good.
Speaker 2: But you can just see the you can just see.
Speaker 1: That io Interactive has mastered this formula in these new levels, because all of them feel so perfect. You know, perfect's like a weird word, but for what they're going for, it seems like these levels just utilize everything that they've learned up to this point, and it's just like a remarkable, i don't know, like suite of levels. Particularly there's one in Shanghai. That was just visually incredible and was just a ton of fun in the way you explore that level, the way you see different sides of that level, and the way the level just expands in so many kind of unpredictable ways, Like there's an entire underground facility that you don't see until you hit a certain point in the level and you're like, oh, wow, I've only seen I've only scratched this surface. And they do that constantly. I'm I'm I'm super impressed by it, Like I had so much fun.
Speaker 2: I think these collection of levels are definitely my favorite that they've done.
Speaker 5: I would agree absolutely, Yeah like that, Yeah, like what I said earlier about how like maybe like mechanically it doesn't involve much, You're one hundred percent right Like there it is like the peak of their level design prowess and and sort of like their masterful like subtle storytelling techniques, Like I think they get really creative with some of the the story stuff you do, uh where you get to you know, we talked about the murder mystery where where I redid the murder mystery this morning and I realized there's like multiple conclusions to the murder mystery, including one where you like find just the right evidence to make it be like, no, actually the guy did commit suicide even though he really didn't, and you like get the target to out of like cause she feels like she's responsible for his death, Like she then commits suicide herself out of grief, and that's how you finish it, which is like super dark. But I was like, I don't even know you could do that, Like it is they they just go so above and beyond with this game, and I really think, like, you know, like taken as a whole, it's like, this is maybe my favorite one of my favorite games ever made, like as a as a I'm pulling the Return of the King, you know, like situation where it's like it deserves the game of the year for what it is as a whole thing. Like when you take the hit Man World of Assassination trilogy as one massive package. It is insane and how good it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hearing you guys talk about it and then reading Phil's review has really made me want to play. It was just one of those games like this happens to be all the time where something will just like seem really dude, bro on the outside, so I don't pick it up. And hit Man was one of those I just I had heard. I remember people talking about it with the last installment, but and I was intrigued then, but like now, I'm fully sold. The Murder Mystery thing really did a lot of heavy lifting in that regard. Uh So I'm definitely really excited to play it.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of games I need to go back and play because the marketing was so dude browie, but the game wasn't. And I not that the hit Man market It's just you know, it's one of those things, just no, it seems like it's not for me, if that makes sense. Like I feel that way about Alan Wake too, where I was like, this is just some guy's name and I just never gave it a second butt. And I totally need to play Alan Wake too, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 6: I remember when I when the first one was announced, the first chapter in the war I was Fascination Trilogy, and I did a preview for it, and I remember writing my preview like I described that that game that franchise as like a like an old elaborate clock, like a grandfather clock, with like loads of gears and belts and that kind of thing, and your job is to just figure out which gear to jam your screw driver into to see what happens, and like, that's that's what that entire franchise is about now. And I think Kelly, you will absolutely have a fantastic time doing that because you start playing and you jam it in and you're like, oh, there's these other gears over here that carried on turning, and then you're like, oh, I didn't realize that this Grandfather clock was set up so that this one gear if you break it, it has various other fallback systems, and you get to see what happens every time you poke at a different corner of like logic and AI and kind of game design and kind of routines and that kind of stuff. It's just really fascinating. It's one of those games that is good to just like go into and just spend an afternoon just poking at it to figure out how it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think too if it like the story by itself isn't all that interesting. Like I think the third game or the final section of this ties up some loose ends in some interesting ways, but it's not really the main draw.
Speaker 2: Like I, if you've ever played.
Speaker 1: This Hitman trilogy and you can get all three, like, don't play them in order play the ones that look interesting, do you? Well, maybe play like the tutorial and first level because they're a little smaller scale and you can kind of understand what's going on.
Speaker 2: But then honestly, I just hop around.
Speaker 1: And play what looks interesting to you, because like, well, I think all the levels are pretty good. There are some that I think will stand out a lot more to other people, like, for instance, Kelli, the the murder mystery is probably more interesting to you than maybe like a bank robbery one which they added, which is also very good. So like, I don't know, Like the stories they tell on those levels are so interesting and it's cool how they interact with how you can kill people.
Speaker 5: There was they speaking of like small stories. There's this amazing little moment in the third mission, no a fourth mission, the China one, where I needed to like tail a guy. I was tailing this homeless man, and so I like went over and I like blended in at this this little like walkway, and there's a woman there and she just starts talking to me. To forty seven about how she's like waiting for this friend of hers in the rain, and how she's mad that her friend isn't there, and then they he basically like hit forty seven starts talking to her about like, oh, like why are you waiting for your friend? And and it turns into this thing where like he basically like she feels upset about her friend, and then he kind of is like consoling her and kind of makes her think of her friend's perspective. Forty seven basically turns into like a weird therapist for a hot second where he's like talking to this woman and the whole time, I'm like, is this gonna help me murder somebody? Because like usually when they have stuff like that, it's like they're trying to to set up like a murder. I don't think it relates to anything, because it just it was this full conversation where like forty seven just like helped this woman and was like being a normal person for a minute. And I don't know why that like really stuck with me of like like they just felt more free to to like get really weird with it in this one in a way that like the other ones have it, and that moment is just like okay, like you're doing something interesting here.
Speaker 6: This is actually a secret ending where it pulls back and it's age on forty seven sitting on a couch in front of two kids, and he goes and that, kids, is how I met your mother.
Speaker 1: The last time you did something like this, someone tweeted at us being like, did you guys really just spoil Cyberpunk?
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, it was a joke.
Speaker 1: One other thing I will say, kind of to your point, though, John, there is that I did find when I was playing it.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of kills or.
Speaker 1: Assassinations that that I didn't follow, like a mission in tel track, And of course I can.
Speaker 2: All the other ones.
Speaker 1: You could do that too, Like basically, you'll walk up to certain characters or events and the game will like subtly sometimes not so subtly, hint you or give you hints on how you can kill it. Like it'll be like, oh, man, the camera guy didn't show up. We're supposed to interview the guy you're supposed to kill, and then you get like a thing and it's like like, forty seven, the cameraman looks a lot like you. Maybe you should find the cameraman and take his clothes or whatever and become the new cameraman. But this game has that as well, But it feels like there's a lot of like quote unquote scripted kills that the game doesn't really point you towards. And I think that DJ one is kind of one of them. Like it does show up an intel, but it doesn't give you like at least I didn't get like the insight goal or whatever, which I thought was super interesting. I feel like they kind of found a balance between how much handholding they should do, because I think when I played the first World of Assassination mission like Sapienza, I felt that it was a little too handhole compared to some of the older ones, which which was okay, but like there's.
Speaker 2: A little too much of the.
Speaker 1: Game just being like you should check this out and this and these later levels do that too. But I really appreciate how they kind of just give you the setup and just let you run with it.
Speaker 5: Something I really recommend you do when you play is so you can they have like the little story missions which are like kind of the more scripted ones, and you can the if you set it to default. I believe it'll it'll just kind of tell you exactly what to do. And I would say that's if you're someone who's trying to learn the game, that's maybe a good way because it kind of basically like teaches you, like, here's like how these certain things work. But then afterwards you can go and you can set it to minimal, which just kind of gives you like a basic idea of what you're supposed to do, but doesn't tell you where to go, or you could turn it off completely. And I highly recommend after you get a feel for it, like switching to minimal, because for me, I think the game is at its best when you're not just following a direction and you're like the first time you play a Hitman game or a hit Man level, I just spent an hour just like walking around. I don't even do anything because you're just like taking in everything and you're really like planning.
Speaker 2: Out seeing where you can go.
Speaker 1: Can't go go finding screwdrivers because you're gonna need one of those sooner or later.
Speaker 5: Taking up screwdrivers.
Speaker 1: I spent an hour looking for a screwdriver on one of the on the Germany level, I could not find when he's driving me crazy.
Speaker 6: But I've been I've been thinking real hard about writing a feature slash making a video essay about how hit Man is all about using white privilege for good and if you think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm thinking like Age of forty seven, like looks like various people, like very generic white man, looks.
Speaker 3: Like video game protagonists, like video game protagonist.
Speaker 5: He's able to get in anywhere.
Speaker 6: We just can get all he does. He acts like he belongs and people because he is a white person and he's he knows, and he's he's got confidence. They don't need to question it. They don't apply scrutiny to him. They just let him be and he uses that ability. He uses his his understanding of the innate biases of the world towards white people to get into places to murder.
Speaker 2: And then he gets please write this.
Speaker 5: They do. I really do think they do a great job like justifying that. Like there's a mission at the end of Hitman two where you're at like the secret like covert Illuminati party and they're all like talking about how like, oh, we know climate change is real, but we're all rich so it doesn't matter. And I'm like all these people are up for murder now like that.
Speaker 1: Like I think even the game like calls Agent forty seven's murders like the string of one percent murders at one point, and I'm like, that's what they are, no regrets.
Speaker 6: There's a title hit Man. Hit Man is a franchise about using white privilege to murder the one percent.
Speaker 3: Very clickable.
Speaker 1: Uh anyway, any closing remarks on hit Man, I feel like Hitman.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Hitman.
Speaker 5: It's very good. It's if you've never played a hit Man, I highly recommend it. I have seen some people talk about how like they had trouble getting into it or or it bounce off them. I really recommend giving another try. I do think it's a game that you kind of need to I don't know, like go in the right mindset or let me take it slow, take it slow. I think if, like I said, if you just try and go in it and you're like, oh, just follow all this story stuff, like you'll have an okay time. But I don't think that's really like that's not where the game is at its best. It's really about like taking it slow, feeling things out, be afraid to be messy. Like some of my favorite because I'm usually like a perfectionist where I'll like quick save and quick load and like I want to do the perfect kill and know never getting caught, and those are fun, but honestly, some of the best Funds runs is where you challenge yourself not to save at all and you just like roll with it and then you're like, ah, that guy found me. I have to quickly knock him out with the fire extinguisher and this disguises but so I have to completely change my plan and I that that game is all about just like creativity, and yeah, it's like I said, I think I think it's as a whole package. It's maybe one of my favorite games ever made.
Speaker 1: Or or do the do the thing where you have someone else pick the murder weapon, I have to try to kill the person with the murder tried to stream that giant bombs hit miss so good.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm always like I want to do that, but you can't because I'd be just stealing their thing. But it's such a good idea.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: The other big thing this week is the Resident Evil stream two more ye're are Resident Evil Expert?
Speaker 2: What'd you make of it?
Speaker 1: Very exciting actually, first, why don't you give the listeners a breakdown of everything that happened.
Speaker 6: Okay, So the stream was probably about twenty minutes long, I think, and obviously a big year for Resident Evil since it is the twenty fifth anniversary of the franchise, so they're kind of celebrating that. Not a lot of celebration happening in the stream, well, not a lot of like, hey, we've got this amazing new experience for you to check out for the twenty fifth anniversary. But what we did get was a decent amount of a decent look at Resident Evil Village or Resident Evil eight. So it kind of opened with this trailer that showed off if you were if you're a Resident Evil fan, like you can pick out some really interesting things in there. But like, in terms of how it pertains to Resident Evil eight, specifically, it confirms that Ethan is obviously we know Ethan's back, but he's going to this village and specifically this castle in this village to rescue his kidnapped daughter. We get to see like the bit I think it's shortly after the previous trailer where you know it ends the previous trail. One of the previous Trailers ends with Ethan being like, Chris, why are you here? And it seems like Chris is naughty boy this time. And then we saw a little bit more of that where there seems to be some sort of soldier handing over a child to Chris Redfield and then Chris kind of looks at Ethan and then we assume that that's the kid who's gonna who is Ethan's child and has been kidnapped. The other thing we get a good look at is a tall vampire lady who has become internet sensation, rightly so, because she's tall, she's hot, and she seems to be a vampire lady.
Speaker 1: Is actually tall or is it just the perspective of No.
Speaker 6: She's very tall based on what I've seen what we saw there, like she seems to be above other people. So I've written a piece about the tall vampire lady specifically just to break down who she is and what the deal is so you can.
Speaker 3: Read about her. But effectively, the castle is hers.
Speaker 6: There's some sort of hidden power mother, a mother figure that she talks to on the phone, and there's a ritual or a kind of thing meant to happen. Ethan has become a problem, and the mother has the hot tall mother has hot daughters who are just around. This is like this game has been designed to make Twitter as thirsty as possible. They are evil daughters running around doing weird shit. They turn into like flies, and you know, the vampires usually turn into bats, but these these ladies seem to turn into flies, which makes me think, do.
Speaker 5: You think the doves were looking at like everyone thirst and over hades and they were like, oh, just you waits.
Speaker 6: I think they were looking at people first thing over mister X and being like, if they will get thirsty over this, but if we made an attractive time forget that.
Speaker 4: We were like, we're going to target the monsterfuckers with this one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they really went in So you get some of that and you get from there they move into U.
Speaker 3: So there's a trailer there, story trailer.
Speaker 6: There's lots to unpack there, and you can find that on the on the kind of on our website. We've got some stories about that. Beyond that, they announced that Resident Evil Village is coming to PS four and Xbox One, as well as PS five, Xbox Series, sn X and PC, which is interesting. So there's been some rumors about that stuff, and there's been some product listings that indicated that, but they confirm that it's coming day and date. The PS four version can be upgraded to the PS five version digital version if you purchase that. Xbox One has smart delivery, so sweet. The game is going to be out on May seventh, which is relatively soon.
Speaker 5: No, was not expecting that. I really assumed it was going to be much later, so much later, like yeah, if even this year, Like I don't know, Like my head is like, oh, Resideval Village, that's like us away.
Speaker 6: It's weird because like the trailers seem to reinforce that, because you watch the early trailers and it's all like it looks vaguely Resident Evil fourish, right, and then the trailers that were shown during the showcase are way more like Resident Evil oneish, where it's like the Spencer Mansion Vibe mixed with Resident Evil seven. So either they have like a very very big game going. They talked about it the PS five version having no load times, so I'm imagining like a really big expansive area, or they do a hard pivot at one point where it's like we're through the Resident Evil four section feel and now we're pivoting into Resident Evil kind of but in the castle, yeah, like the Castle fail uea or even like because there's a bit where they showed like the foyer or the main room area of the castle and it just looks like the Spencer mansion and you're like, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 6: It's it feels like a very big game, and it feels like it's really far away, but it isn't beyond that. They announced a bunch of PreO ad editions. We've got a story up about that, and then they shot off gameplay, so Pete Fabiano kind of narrated the entire thing. The key takeaways are still first person perspective, first person and shooting is important part of it, but is very considered and deliberate. As Resident Evil games tend to be. New thing this time is there's a lot more emphasis on being defensive and blocking. So enemies in the actual trailer and enemy kind of grabs you and Ethan puts his hand up and blocks it, but then he kind of counters with a punch that knocks the enemy back and then follows up with this kick that delivers like mad damage so that's something that's way more important, which is going to be interesting how they balance that, because you know, when you lose all your AMMO and you have nothing to fight back against, that's kind of like the tension in becoming defensive. You start have to thinking about maneuverability and your environment. But if you can just like parry everything, I imagine you still take some damage from blocking, but it will be interesting to see how they.
Speaker 3: Balance that stuff out.
Speaker 6: The other big thing is, like they talked about, you know, enemies will have different styles of kind of attacking that you need to figure out. And we got like a look at one massive enemy who was like this giant. When I saw him, like my first the first thing that popped into my head was you know the hot fas great big bushy beard, Like it's that quote because he's got a massive thing, and he's got a hammer and he just swings his hammer. He doesn't care about any other enemies in the area. So we will like take out other enemies to try and get to you. Residial five, yes, very reson Evil five and a bit like I don't know it kind of I mean, like who knows how much we'll see of it, but it kind of had that same kind of like oh shit moment when you know a chainsaw guy from Resident Evil four A players and you're like, I've got to throw all my traditional my plan out of the window and just get away as quickly as possible.
Speaker 3: So it has that kind of vibe.
Speaker 6: They also showed up the Merchant sadly not the what are you buying? He's not back, He is still not there. This is a lad that they call the Duke. He's a he's a very big boy, which is good, nice big body type, and he kind of like appears out the back of a carriage and he's like, oh Ethan, and Ethan's like, how do you know who I am? And he's like anyone who's anyone knows the likes of you. So Ethan a little bit worrying, Like Ethan seems to have become this legendary figure, which I'm a little concerned about. And the tall Lady also remarks on the phone that like she she can't stop him for some reason. So I'm a little worried that Ethan's becoming an action hero.
Speaker 3: But who knows. Classic, Yeah, that's the thing. I don't want it to end.
Speaker 6: With like ethan punching like a load bearing wall on the side of a castle to bring it down, and like who knows. But yeah, so the duke is there. He appears in different places like the merchant would, but it's always a different scenario. Merchant was always just kind of like standing there with his back pack ready to what you're buying you. But like in this one, they show the duke come out of the back of a carriage and then later on you see him just kind of like sprawled out on a bed and he's like eating something. He's he seems very unhealthy, but he's willing to sell your stuff. Another gameplay thing that they introduced is the management system from Ari four is back, So yeah, tetris things in a briefcase. And they've also laid on top crafting, so you can craft items now, whether that's ammo or health items that that's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 5: And then they three had three hand crafting system.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, and then they kind of hit the other things where quick hits were like they've put more like destroyable objects in the environment because they know people really enjoyed stabbing boxes with their knives, so they've just like loads of.
Speaker 3: Stuff now that you can stab.
Speaker 6: And then they said, you know, there's gonna be environmental traps, there's gonna be lots of puzzles, so the kind of staples of Resident Evil will be re presented as well, and then from there they moved on to announcing the Resident Evil five demo is available immediately.
Speaker 2: So you mean village.
Speaker 3: Uh so why.
Speaker 6: Do I keep saying five PS fives one earlier?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Resident Evil eight demo is available on PS five exclusively.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it's.
Speaker 6: Not a traditional demo. It's kind of like what they did with Rezie seven, where it doesn't it's it's called the Maiden you play or Maiden you play as a character who they're referring to as the Maiden. It's not Ethan, and you just basically have to escape this prison area. There's no combat, there's no defensive blocking stuff, so there probably won't be any like major set piece moments. They're kind of pitching it as we just want people to get a feel for the game, so you get to see what it looks like and what it sounds like and how it feels a bit more so, it's kind of like a mood piece, is what I kind of took away from it.
Speaker 5: It's very much how the RESONU seven demo work. Yeah, exactly, And I'm curious if they update it, which is what they did the seven to one. Like as the game we're closer, they at new stuff to it.
Speaker 6: They could do that they talked about, So this one is PS five exclusive, but they talked about having another demo available later which will be available on all platforms, so it won't be PS five exclusive.
Speaker 3: And then they announced our e versus or are everse Reverse Resident Evil, which is a multiplayer mode or multiplayer experience that comes that anyone who purchased Resident Evil Village gets, But the way they worded it seemed like they were going to release it separately as well.
Speaker 6: This is one of the things that they said they're celebrating the twenty fifth anniversary with. And it basically looks like Deathmatch, but it had like Clear in it. It had Leon on It in it, it had Jack Baker in it, it had Nemesis in it. It's basically like Smash Brothers Deathmatch.
Speaker 2: Multiplayer mode. Did I get with Resident Evil? Three? I Resistance Resistance Resistance was.
Speaker 6: The one, like it seems like they're doing another on that style thing, Like it looks a little faster, it looks a little more arcady. And when you like kill an enemy, you come back as a zombie or when you kill another player you come back as a zombie. At one point, like Nemesis shows up and is like tearing around tyrants in there, like the the key r has got eight to loong in it. It just feels like they're doing another I think the visual style they had like a slight cell shading look to it. I don't know, I don't know what they're doing with it. Hunky is in it as well. This is what they do with their multiplayer experiences.
Speaker 5: What you this is the other side of Residievil that everyone always forgets is they're always trying like really weird multiplayer stuff that never pans out. You had like Resistance for three, which is like interesting but maybe didn't have enough really there to keep me going. And then you had like was it Operation Raccoon City. Yeah was the one, and like that was around like five ere right or yeah, there's I don't know if that was the one where they also try to do like an esports thing. There was one where they had like the announcement trailer was like it had like Esport announceris.
Speaker 3: And that might have been Racoon City.
Speaker 5: I think it was like the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. It was terrible.
Speaker 3: I don't know why they're so intent on doing multiplayer for Resident Evil.
Speaker 5: Like they just got to go back to Mercenaries.
Speaker 3: Just go to mer.
Speaker 5: Mercenaries is good, but also Sink, which is like actual it's just co op Resident Evil.
Speaker 6: Like that, because because Mercenaries is basically like it's got the formula for a called zombie style thing in there, you can make that work. And even if you just did the time attack style thing with leader boards.
Speaker 3: Like that works.
Speaker 6: But they keep trying to make like these big experiences, and I don't know, it feels like it feels like busy work for a team, Like what do we give this team to do? And they're like, you can make a multiplayer thing.
Speaker 5: One day, we'll get it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, one day, They'll day, one day we'll have a great Residu Evil multiplayer.
Speaker 2: Hey maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Village maybe yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm surprised they haven't tried Battle Royale yet.
Speaker 6: I know, like that's the perfect thing, right, Like the zombie Horde coming in so cale and you know, yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Small scale maybe like a small smaller map with like eight people or something.
Speaker 3: Like that, and you pick an iconic location to always be like.
Speaker 5: Oh, you're dropping in a Raccoon city.
Speaker 6: Or like, you know, the circle is closing, where's the closing It's going to close on our CPD, or it's oh ship, it's going towards the Spencer mansion.
Speaker 3: It's going to an umbrella lab.
Speaker 5: And you're going to go fifty minutes, you know.
Speaker 6: Or like the government are like new and doing like rain fire to get people to you know, get into a tiger. It's it's doable. I don't know why they don't do it though. It's weird anyways, So that's happening. It's it's free to anyone who purchases Village, so I imagine it's going to be available separately as well, but who knows. And then after that, Resident Evil is crossing over with hit video game The Division two.
Speaker 5: I was not what.
Speaker 6: In a very limited for a very long a time. You can basically get iconic outfits and items for the original Residuevil trilogy in the Division two just like, yeah, anyone anyone who logs into that event, or get the Leon's Rped outfit and then you can see like there's a star's clothing stuff there, and then you can get the hunk outfit as well if you want to look like a gas masked soldier with red eyes.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you, guys. The last thing I want to do is play a game where I'm in a war torn DC city. I want to do in the year twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: One during a pandemic that's spread by touch and money and weird shit like that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, absolutely no.
Speaker 5: You got to know everyone at you.
Speaker 3: Fuck, how could we have done this.
Speaker 1: I remember going to an event for the Division two DLC and it was right under eve of all this stuff, and I was like, it's not the one.
Speaker 2: They knew it. We all knew it.
Speaker 5: We were like, well and then out, so I got worse they got yep. No, al right.
Speaker 6: So the final Resident Evil announcement was related to Resident Evil Infinite Darkness, which was that Netflix CG movie that's coming. Literally the least amount to say they had was on this. They announced it last year. So in this they said it focuses on Leon and Clear, which we knew because the picture had Leon and Clear in it, and then they said it's set after Resident Evil four, which I guess is.
Speaker 3: Kind of relatively new news.
Speaker 6: And then they pointed out that Leon is wearing a suit, and that was it.
Speaker 3: Yon story is wearing a suit.
Speaker 1: The big question I have, are you guys surprised that we didn't see a Resinue belfour remake.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm surprised. I'm not surprised we didn't see it. I'm still I still believe it's happening. But I think we're at a cadence where they release a Resident Evil mainline entry and then they release a remake or announce a remake. Yeah, it was like once Resident Evil Village has had its time for will be announced.
Speaker 1: And they've been hitting it yearly too for a while now, right, like I think they did they did seven, they did two, they did three. Now they're doing Village the following year, and I imagine a remake right would follow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're very quickly closing on the Operation Raccoon City remake.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I'm so curious how a remake of four will go, because it already feels like eight is just taking like so many elements from four in particular, it's actually feels like it's taking elements from like a lot of residuevils, but specifically four, which is like, why do you need to make a I know why they need to make a remake of four because it's one of the best games of all time and you know, a lot of money money, But yeah, one.
Speaker 6: They've but the thing is like they've been introducing things from four into the remakes and other games a lot, so I imagine like it feels like they the game that has they've used to update other game games in that franchise. They kind of need to go.
Speaker 3: The other way.
Speaker 5: Now you need to go back and update that on that one kind of makes sense. Fixed camera angles and oh if they went back they just said, like what if what if the remake of four was like they went back to that original pitch where it's like fixed camera angles and Leon's gonna match it and there's like a ghost with them. It was like a sheer scissors or something that was basically clock Tower. What if they just did that? What if they just screw it, We're gonna make the original version of four that got canceled.
Speaker 2: They'd have some very mad gamers on their hands. I bet I would love that.
Speaker 5: I think the gamers would be I don't know. I feel like it's not more mad about.
Speaker 3: I think the game is are gonna be mad regardless.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: Never make never make any decision based on whether the game is will get mad or not, because they will get mad and they won't get mad, and you'll never understand either.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's move on to the questions for this week. All right, and we are back with listener questions. If you have a question for us, you can email us at after Dark Podcast at gamesbout dot com, or you can join our Discord server by dming myself or It's more or Jean Luke and we will get you right in there. All the questions this week are from discord. The first one we have is from Jacob McCourt. How do y'all feel about New Year's resolutions? Do you use that new year to reset personally, professionally or think that the New Year's isn't the best time.
Speaker 2: For that.
Speaker 6: Ordinarily like I would, but like this, yere, I'm like, just just don't die, man, Just don't please.
Speaker 5: Feel like I've been trying to get out of the mindset because I feel like I have a bad habit of being like, ah, I'll just wait until this specific moment, like that's the right time to do something different, and then I just like never do it. So I feel like I just need to get out of the mindset and be like if I want to just change, I should just start doing it. I don't know that's me though, that's like a personal problem I have.
Speaker 6: I think the important thing is like it's good, but one thing that you know everyone is trying to drum into each other's and their own heads, is like, don't be too harsh on yourself right now. Like everyone feels compelled to make the most of time and in the best of situations in the world, but right now, like you're more restricted in the things that you can do to make your life different and change than ever. It's good to want to please do try and you know, personally, professionally, but like, don't beat yourself up about it because it's not easy right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's kind of how I'm looking at it. Like I don't really have New Year's resolutions. I don't think I really ever have like written things down I've wanted to do, but this year, I am trying to do more things that interest me, I guess, which sounds very broad, but it's more of just a way to kind of stay sane as we head into you two of this pandemic, and like, you know, things are kind of looking up with the vaccine starting to get some footing. But but you know, like like when that trickles down to most people, I have no idea when that is. I'm not super well informed though, so maybe maybe I could know if I if I did some research. But but I think just generally speaking, is like just to figure out things to do. Like I've been trying to write more like short films, and I'm you know, just finding hobbies that i can kind of double down on a little bit, but not trying to push myself.
Speaker 2: Not like I'm going to write.
Speaker 1: A novel or anything like that, just kind of doing things that I think would be fun.
Speaker 5: Hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never been big on New Year's resolutions, just because I've never ever stuck to any of them. I have kind of the same thing as John Luke, where like I've fallen into the trap of like, oh, I'll do all these things I want to do once I get over this particular hurdle, and so I don't like making an arbitrary day that turning point for myself. So I mean, I was just kind of in the I've been in the process of, you know, trying to like spend my free time in ways that I enjoy more rather than just like scrolling on social media. And yeah, I don't know. It's also weird because we work really really hard from like September through December, and so January is just kind of like healing month for us. I feel like I'm just recovering from all of the work and like just everything. I'm still I'm just like catching up with myself, Like catching my breath is kind of how I feel. And I've been in the industry long enough that it's felt like that for a while. So yeah, I just don't think about New Years resolutions anymore. I make jokes about them, though, yeah, like like I'll be like my news resolution is to eat less cheese.
Speaker 5: But but she's Great's good.
Speaker 6: I do want to, like I've been thinking about like I am writing more just personally, and it's been enjoyable. But I think I need to make a habit of it, and because I'll do it every now and then where I'll like I'll have the inspiration to write something random and it's like two or three paragraphs, and then I'll delete it a week later. So I think I want to get to a point where I'm like writing something start to finish and just having it available, whether it's like I thought. I've written like comic book style scripts, I've written video game style scripts. I've written like short stories and episodes of like TV shows and stuff like that and always ended up being like, Okay, that's out my system. Delete, And I think I want to commit to something a bit.
Speaker 5: So that's why I get a physical thing. I bought a bullet journal and some some gel pants. I'm very excited. I just want to do the same thing nice, yeah, some color. You can't erase it, like you're stuck with whatever you write, so I'm sure it'll like you read it and it'll be grammatically terrible, but thankfully it's just for me. So I'm kind of doing the same thing whereight like I just want to like write more for myself and get things out on a page.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine wrote a script and he sent it to me a couple of days ago. He emailed it to me and I was reading it and I was like trying to leave notes, and I was like, man, I hate leaving notes on a computer. So I printed all like sixty pages of it out, wrote down all the notes, put it in an envelope, and sent it to him.
Speaker 2: And it was like the coolest thing in the world, because it's.
Speaker 1: Like, I've literally the last time I've sent anything like stale mail has been God. I have no idea, like years and years and years and years, but it just felt so refreshing to just like grab the red ink and just like all right, time to leave some notes and slight it in those like big folders.
Speaker 5: Like you're an old school publisher who just exactly sends someone back their man.
Speaker 1: I messaged him and I was like, I'm just going to mail it to and he's like, wait, really, and I was like, yeah, I'm just going to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to do that. That seems kind of fun to do. And he's like, all right, well.
Speaker 5: I guess I'll check the mail then get these next couple of days.
Speaker 3: I used to do that.
Speaker 4: I used to print out my essays and and then like my rough draft, and then I would physically hand edit them and then I would type retype them up again. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's easier to get your thoughts out.
Speaker 1: I feel like in two like I'm used to leaving notes on Google Docs, which has a good way of leaving notes. He just sent me a PDF that was done in like final draft or something. I'm not going to open this with Acrobat and figure out how to leave notes that make sense when I just print this up and write. And also like my parents had a printer, which he's been a very long time anyway, Next question, Kelly, do you want to read this one? Ryan Cooper? Sure?
Speaker 4: What games do y'all feel had the most impact on your lives? Maybe not your favorite games or even the most fun, but perhaps the most memorable. For example, I would probably have to put Where the Water Tastes Like Wine and Outer Wilds on my list, the first because it was the first game I covered as a games writer. In the latter because it helped me with the depression and grief of my father's death. Oh well, thank you for being open and honest with us, Ryan, that's yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You should.
Speaker 1: Also you should share some of your writing in the in the discord channel. I forget what it's called the self promo or whatever.
Speaker 3: We should we should create a creative writing discord. Yeah yeah, maybe just.
Speaker 6: Put like just for people to read, no judgment, just like it. What do you think about it? You know, no critis no criticism, constructive criticism. It's not just showing people.
Speaker 7: But yeah, yeah, mine's mind's blackbone, obviously obviously because I yeah, it's finding.
Speaker 6: Finding comfort in a place like I was actually on our community member for Gibar's podcast recently and he asked a very similar question, and I'm kind of reusing material here, but like, there's something really special to me about feeling comfortable in a place that's designed to make you feel uncomfortable and designed to be hostile towards you, and designed to be murderous and otherworldly and confusing. Because if you feel like, if you're familiar with enough, I've reached a point of familiarity where where nothing in that game makes me feel like I can't overcome it anymore. And sometimes you just need a reminder that something that's terrifying and feels overwhelming can be surmounted, just if you try and give it some time and effort. So that's why I like Bloodborne is a place I like to go to when I feel a bit lost and feel a bit you know, I need like a little more focus, because you get within seconds you're present with a challenge. Your brain goes, this is hard, and then you realize I can do this, I know how to do this, and then you do it, and then you have that, you have that satisfaction of really in a microcosm overcoming a challenge, and then you can extrapolate that if you're the kind of person to into real world and be like, forget do it here, I could do it in other places. And second Girls the same for that. Docils are the same for that. All or from game FROMS games are like that. So yeah, I'd pick those.
Speaker 1: I would probably go with Tales of Symphonia maybe because I played a lot of that with a friend growing up, like we just play every weekend, and I don't know, like just those experiences I still remember to this day really well, and it's why I like that game in that series so much. I think if I played any of those games now, I'd be like, yeah, it's not for me, but but it stuck with me because of those memories, and I think it did have quite the impact on me growing up. I think more recently, though, it would probably be The Witcher three. It was like a weird when that game came out, Like I was like had just finished had just finished a junior college and was had just started the internship at GameSpot, and like it was just kind of figuring out what I was going to do and how to handle school. And I ended up playing a lot of The Witcher three. So that game, it's the reason why it's one of my favorites. But I think just the memories I have associated with that game are why it always comes to mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say that, like so far, Person of Five is actually probably going to become one of those games for me. There's a lot of like messages in that game that I wish I had received earlier in my life, Like I wish that game had come out when I was like sixteen. So I'm not done with it yet, but I'm feeling that way about that game. And then I don't know, I've always felt a lot of affection for Gone Home. I think Gone Home just kind of marked a turning point in like where I was at with covering video games. I had like just started flirting with the idea of working in games media, and there was a lot of conversation about that game, and it just it had something that I had never seen before. So that game is still really special.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 4: In a way that's kind of hard to explain, but yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, going off with Kelly said, my one of my games is Percent of Four, which did come out when I was sixteen. So I think one of the reasons that game hit so hard for me is because I was the same age as the party members, the protagonists of that game when it came out, So you know, that game versus I think Percent of Five is like a little more about society where Persona four is a little more personal and about like the personal struggles of each character. And because they're high schooler students like that hit me really hard, like I saw a lot of my own personal struggles that those characters were going through in myself. Because of that, that game really really stuck with me. And even though I look back on that game and I'm like, whoa boy, it's got some really problematic shit in it still means a lot to me. Despite all that like that that game is very special to me. The other would actually be Knights the Oald Republic two, which I played before Knights Scaled Republic one. I never played Knights of the Republic one. I played two, and that was probably the first, like because I never owned consoles growing up. I only had a PC, but I didn't really played that many PC games outside like the SIMS, so one of my I mostly played like game Boy, Like one of my first major games was Pokemon. But Nightsoul Republic too, like really opened up, uh like what games could do in terms of like writing and just like storytelling and characters for me, Like that game really sticks with me. Like I feel like that game, uh influenced my love for like role playing games and by Aware and like that led to me loving games like Master Effect and and Fallout and uh so I feel like that game. It's probably like hugely influential on my like personal taste in games.
Speaker 2: That game is also why I still like Star Wars.
Speaker 1: It really is, and it was like for that game, I probably wouldn't care much at all to this day.
Speaker 5: It's maybe one of the still one of the best Star Wars stories ever written. Are not even though it's not canon anymore, like, who cares?
Speaker 2: I think it kind of is, isn't it? Didn't they like read?
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's.
Speaker 5: Kind of I think they've heart the Mandalorian Warser canon and I think Revin is canon. I don't know. Whatever.
Speaker 6: It's fine, Kathleen Kennedy, You're never gonna meet her, Okay, it is Kathleen Kennedy, isn't it It is?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so like and the way I say it is, I decide what's canon unless Kathleen Kennedy personally tells me what is.
Speaker 3: Cannon shows up.
Speaker 6: If he wants to tell me what isn't isn't canon, she can comes out in my face.
Speaker 5: I trust Dave Filoni to just eventually be like, script, we're gonna just redo the entire We're gonna retell the entirety of Kotor and animated form or whatever, like just.
Speaker 1: Remake of it by words, maybe Toxic eight do remake and then tell Canad again because it's back anyway.
Speaker 5: I'm back for that, I know.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: That's been Episode seventy seven, Game Spot after Dark. Thank you all so much for joining Jean Luke. Where can people find you? And what are you up to this week?
Speaker 5: You can find me at John excepting on Twitter, I don't really post there that much because I've been actually try to. I guess one of my New Year's resolutions is trying to not be on Twitter, which has actually worked out very well. I highly recommend it. Don't be on Twitter.
Speaker 2: U lead it off your phone.
Speaker 1: That's like an easy hack because then you're only checking on desktop exactly.
Speaker 5: That's what I do. It kind of works. But I have up so already there should be a video up about I did a like twenty things we want from the next generation consoles, which is just like my list of like they should add this, or they should fix that, they should add more backwards compatibility to the PS five even though they probably won't, but like, you know, made a video like that, and then also hopefully there should be a video either by the time this is up er shortly after where I'm gonna like deep dive into the Resident Evil Village demo and like point out cool little things in it that maybe you missed, so check that out.
Speaker 2: Cool in Cally.
Speaker 4: You can find me on Twitter at ikey dog Go I n k y d O j I KKO This week I was on IBM's review crew talking about Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, so I guess check that out, and then you know, as always working on GameSpot reviews, there's been a lot. There's really not a lot going on in January so far except a hit Man. There's a couple of things, but yes, it's not a super exciting time for me, just kind of doing like behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 2: And tomore.
Speaker 6: I'm on Twitter at tomorrow, h you can find me there. I have been helping a lot with the hip Man guide stuff, so if you need any hit Man related guidance, you can hit up GameSpot. We've got mission walkthroughs, we've got assassination guys, we've got general tips as well. Beyond that, I wrote a bunch of the news stories for Resident Evil Village, so if you want to get more information on that, you can find that as well. I'm streaming every now and then on Twitch, so I'll probably start doing that a bit more. That's kind of my New Year's resolution is to stop sitting in my bedroom playing games like in solitary confinement and maybe play and online and chat to people and commune with other people.
Speaker 3: And have fun. So I'm gonna try to do that, you know. I'm just add to more h on Twitch.
Speaker 1: On that cool and you can find me at jacob Deck And I think the big thing this week is the Cyberpunk spoiler Chat, which probably won't be up to this weekend, but yeah, we're finally going to do a Cyberpunk spoiler chat with Kellie Lucy and myself digging into that game. Please watch it, and please leave the thumbs up and be nice in the comments to outweigh the people who will be mean just for being mean because it's cyberpunk and they're mad and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Gamers are angry regardless.
Speaker 1: Gamers are always mad. You can't you can't do anything about it. But anyway, we'll see y'all next week