Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the fire Escape Cast. It is episode one eleven. We are deep into that good, good, hot hot summer. I'm Mike Mahardy, your host here as always, with Mary kish Hi and Dan Riker. Yes, hello, you see how I flipped it. Usually Mary's the disappointing sounding one one night and.
Speaker 2: Chetos way up. I've been eating orange tic tags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your tongue is fucking like like bile colored.
Speaker 2: I love orange tik tags.
Speaker 3: I can eat them every day and I do, and they do change the color of.
Speaker 4: My tongue universally. The favorite right the oranges.
Speaker 1: That's the same exact flavoring as orange skittles. Wait, oh, you've said that. I've said it before. Taste test them next to.
Speaker 4: When it's different.
Speaker 1: Maybe the outer suck on them, suck on each one successively. They're the same flavor skittle.
Speaker 4: No, I think what you bite. I think that illusion is shattered.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, But I'm just saying whatever flavor, just.
Speaker 4: Sucking on skittles. I fucking two those things me too.
Speaker 1: That's the point of them. They're a good texture. It's a nice kind of like a light crunch and then a chewy center.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's a good way to attack someone is be like, go suck a skittle.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm getting back in the Jolly Rancher game.
Speaker 2: Nice whom you don't bite them, do you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: So that's what's great about it is because you give me a barrel of skittles, I'm just gonna fucking stick my head in it until there's no more skittles. A Jolly rancher, you don't have that option. You put one in there, you're good for like ten minutes, and then you've like you satisfied that sweet tooth.
Speaker 2: So like that's the way, like candy brick, Yeah, maybe like.
Speaker 4: Twenty calories there instead of two hundred and fifty of a whole skittles gimmick.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm impatient with hard candy and lollipops, took totsy rolls, blow pops. I I can rarely just suck on one until it's a nub. I have to crunch at some point.
Speaker 4: Do you ever get the grody one on at like vending machines or or the little gumball machines at like the bowling alley, And there's those big ass gob stoppers that were like you know, like yay, big, like a racquetball, and then it's just like, I don't know, you can't fit it in your mouth.
Speaker 1: There's no blue red, the primary color. Flex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be like white, but it would have the flex yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's like, so what do you do?
Speaker 4: You just fucking lick this thing for a while and put it in your pocket and you got fucking popcorn kernels and receipts all over it. When you pull it.
Speaker 1: Out, you suck on it like a tennis ball. Well you can't.
Speaker 4: I used to try to put it in my whole the whole thing in my mouth, and the Keiths blocket.
Speaker 1: You gotta be like a leech on certain parts because you go through. What do you do? You're not gonna know one thing.
Speaker 4: You put it in your carry on, a ziplock bag for it, What do you do?
Speaker 1: I used to carr around ziploc bags for them, really, or we would get like two of them at Wegman's and put them in one plastic bag and then start one and store it in the plastic bag. Ti I was ready to get sucking again. Or I don't know what I would do with the other one, though, I think my we must have had backup ziploc bags.
Speaker 4: Did we touch on these in our candy tier list?
Speaker 1: We had no dune jelly, right, yeah, we definitely did Jolly Ranchers. What did we give.
Speaker 4: Spot a Skittles star Burst and the strawberry guys that your grandma has?
Speaker 1: Oh those are I'm we were really.
Speaker 4: Aligned on our candy opinions, I found. I think we have very similar tastes in candies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sours.
Speaker 3: Candies with a shell with like a chewy center, things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the good good.
Speaker 3: I've always been like such a sour head though, Like I usually anytime I am able to purchase whatever candy I want from a supermarket, I am going to probably get like those sour strips, the sour rainbows, coke bottles, yeah, gummies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you been to Japan? Oh yeah, yeah, Well you know that they have the they have all the like soda ones where it's like the roopier stuff with all the specs on it and everything. Like, I think as far as the sour candy game, Japan is like out of us.
Speaker 3: I think that they're they put all of their technological advancements into toilet and candy and.
Speaker 4: Cars but when we've been working TV games and we've been worried about.
Speaker 1: Drones and tanks, and they're just like, wait, what if what if we developed like a really nice chewy sour candy. I like that approach Japan. That'd be great. I'd love to It's a good place, or a kimono with nothing under it. All the time.
Speaker 3: Idiots putting in like putting together nukes, and it's like the real secret was the invention of the gummy bear.
Speaker 1: I think that's German. Horribo German. I don't like. I'm kind of bears.
Speaker 2: You're assuming Harrabou is the original.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're the standard popular. They're like the Kleenex of gummy bears.
Speaker 1: Are you suggesting there's an og Japanese gummy bear that Harbo upstaged.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying they're the most innovative.
Speaker 4: Who invented gummy bears? Okay, let's see.
Speaker 1: Well if.
Speaker 4: The founder of Harribo.
Speaker 1: Oh Hans Regal.
Speaker 4: Regal Senior in nineteen twenty two, was inspired by dancing bears that perform at festivals and wanted to create a fun, chewy candy and their likeness, Wow, they don't I don't like them, though I don't.
Speaker 2: Like going so he shot a horse, made it happen.
Speaker 1: We've we've talked about this before. It was a defining moment in my life. Amanda likes all things horribo. That I discovered, or rather realized, came to the realization that the green gummy bears are strawberry flavored. I always assume that, like in my head because I thought, because they're green, I assigned some sort of like lime tonight, Yeah, of course, but now they're strawberry. Really, I don't know. I don't know how that happens. Like the strawberry leaf is green. That's about it, though, because the red was already red.
Speaker 2: Is cherry cherry.
Speaker 3: By process of elimination. If it can't dot.
Speaker 4: Bink, you do red and bink. Star Wars, Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Runs. I like runs a lot. I'm like, wait, are runts the ones of the fruit there shaped like the fruit? Yeah? Yeah? What were the ones? Tiny tarts were the little member there's sweetart. There are sweet tarts but tiny yeah? Yeah. I look.
Speaker 4: The Harry Bow Corporation seems great outside of their core product of gummy bears. I like the Twin Snakes. I like the sour guys. I like the like most everything Hawerbow makes outside of the gummy bears, and like, don't get me wrong, give me back of gummy bears.
Speaker 1: I'm inhaling that ship.
Speaker 4: But it's like there's so many candies I would take over that, including from Harry Bow. Did you have a paper dots phase? No, those are ship You always end up eating a lot of paper. Yeah, I don't want to eat paper.
Speaker 1: I pooped like a sultan anytime I ate those. I think papers so much.
Speaker 3: Spots are good because you're playing with them, and playing with your candy is important. Just like those plastic bottles that you would rip off the cap with your mouth and then some out the juice and then you would chew on the rest of the bottle.
Speaker 1: Those are cross because it's a wax and stuff. I like just bottle caps. The Yeah, that's gross.
Speaker 3: The Internet, my dude, Like making a cube out of candy wax was a big deal.
Speaker 4: No, give me the candy legos and then they break youth. But like you can actually build with those things.
Speaker 1: And build stuff. I mean I built a penis and then fucking went at it all the time. Should have my parents should have been noticing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dinner table, stop making those dick legos, our child, there's weirdos are hard with these.
Speaker 4: And then he doesn't have to play with the candy lego balls, does he? At the table?
Speaker 1: It was a very confusing time my life.
Speaker 3: He's gargling them.
Speaker 4: Little Mikey's at it the end.
Speaker 2: Take them away?
Speaker 1: What are those? You can get them at? Uh? I always see them at movie theater vending machines. They're so of like Runts, but they're smaller. There's like there's a peach, there's like a little blue raspberry cluster.
Speaker 4: They're basically runs nerds nerds clusters.
Speaker 1: No, Nerds clusters are awesome, but no, they were like a gen two of Runts where it's like a peach and a blue raspberry cluster. They might they might have been Runts that they added and they shrunk a bit and then added the peach too, because the peach is the best flavor and it's also the best fruit. I mean, like, look it up. Look up Runts peach or Runts blue raspberry. And I've seen them specifically. You get a bunch of them. I ate a lot of them when I worked at a movie theater. Oh what are these?
Speaker 2: F I googled peach runts and it was a weed shop.
Speaker 1: That sounds right? Are they fruit teas? Maybe they're really good? They're runts, but like flavor. Hmm.
Speaker 4: Okay, time I.
Speaker 3: Get something, it's asking me if I'm over eighteen before I can click.
Speaker 2: It's just like all weeds.
Speaker 1: So yes, what is the we have candy? Now? Me too? H Speaking of movies, I have you guys watched The Warriors? Ever? Yeah? Well you watched it recently?
Speaker 4: No, it's been a decade plus. Yeah, I've been thinking about watching.
Speaker 1: We Re a Man and I both share a love for that movie, which is funny because she it was. It was a movie I had brought up. She goes to bed before me most nights, so I think about a year and a half ago, she's like, all right, I'm gonna go to bed. It's like a Thursday night. Like, okay, cool, I'm gonna watch The Warriors. She's like, what is that? I was like a movie set in seventy nine New York gangs like theme gangs, but also very vibey. It's more about vibes than like a great storyline. It's like a retelling of the Iliad. But it's just like people getting from the Bronx to Coney Island cult classic rockstar me to She's like, this sounds cool. I was like, okay, I'm curious what you think of it. So she's like, wait until tomorrow, we'll watch it. And we watched it, and I will se if you have not seen that movie, or if you have now watched in a while, front loaded homophobia is the best way to put it. Oh really, but it's it's a couple of f bombs.
Speaker 2: Ted around the time of the era.
Speaker 1: Gangs in New York. Like, sure, I guess whether you can stomach it. There's a lot of things playing into it, but it's like seventy nine. And also the guy who drops them James Remar, the actor, he was the Phantom. He's in Sex and the City, but he was Ajax in this movie. Again, it's all like, it's actually just inspired by Greek. It's a retelling of Greek story, so it's like Ajax and the Sirens and the Furies. But after that, there are a couple spots where it also gets very seventy nine Men's gang a bit weird with women. To put it, lightly. So it's like, I don't know if you'll love this movie. We could try it out, and then Amanda loved it. Like not that it's without its problems, but that movie's soundtrack, the style of everything they cut away to these like two camera segments like you would with like an on stage. Like again, they've made no they've not tried to hide that it was inspired by like old school Greek theater, but they wanted to do like a modern take on it. Neon Lit. Joe Walsh from The Eagles does like several songs on the soundtrack that like when they finally get back to Cony and they're walking into the sunset on the beach, it's in the city. That's Joe Walsh who wrote it.
Speaker 4: Then I like Big Hilts by Joe Walsh. You know that's also in there.
Speaker 1: I think that it's hidden there somewhere. Yeah, but that movie is still awesome classic, It's still really good. I never played the U the rock Star game. I know that was more of a beat him up.
Speaker 4: I reviewed it, it was I remember liking it. I think I probably gave you like an eight. It's just such a cool thing to exist, because that's what a rock Star thing that is to you know, it's like, oh, we like this movie, let's make it like, well, we're playing a lot of ping pong, let's make a ping pong game. Well, we all like the Warriors, Let's make that. Like I don't know, I appreciate that I kind of missed that rock Star to be honest, as excited as I am for what they're doing now.
Speaker 3: But like the old cash Ground, but I mean I think it's like cash grab with heart, which.
Speaker 1: Is just not even a cash grab. I don't think that many people liked The Warriors back when they made that game. It's like it's like a passion project that I don't think was gonna make a lot of money.
Speaker 4: It was a weird thing when they announced it and they're like, what are you like, No, a lot of people hadn't really heard of it. It wasn't like they were doing like, oh, a Terminator game. It's like this kind of cult classic seventies. Yeah, it's it was a weird move in a cool way.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I overestimated how popular The Warriors was then because I thought, like everybody knows The Warriors for some reason, and it seems like it's a popular It.
Speaker 4: Has a couple of very iconic has the come out and Play and has the can you dig it? And it's like there's some very quotable moments and everyone remembers the like baseball guy gang and stuff like that. It's just it's a weird and memorable movie. But I feel like it's not one that it's definitely not like cult classic, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that they fucking like the The intro is just like bum boom, bump boom, and then it's them all like it shows every gang from around the city going up for the summit in the Bronx, and it's showing the themes of all the gangs, and some of them are were military gears. Some of them are like monks. Some of them are clear.
Speaker 3: You're the Monk gang. You better watch the fuck out because you're about to get monked.
Speaker 1: Some of them are clearly stereotypical Chinese people from Chinatown coming up. And I was like, oh, okay, And then and then I.
Speaker 3: Think it's going to have a content warning, Like it should have a content warning, like did you hear about what's going on with rush hour?
Speaker 1: It was a rush hour? Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it like a a content warning now when you start the film, because.
Speaker 1: We need a content warning for fire Escape every episode.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: Pictions, language and humor may seem outdated, but we are old.
Speaker 4: I mean I haven't seen Rush Hour since the theaters and that would not surprise me to all of it is not aged gracefully.
Speaker 1: No, it's just Chris Chris Tucker making fun of trying Jackie Chan and and by extension, all Asian, not just Chinese.
Speaker 4: Peep.
Speaker 1: Sure, because he intentionally complaining I want to give the movie flowers where flowers are due the fucking comeback or like the callback that Chris Tucker's character has. Uh, if you watch the Sopranos, you know the actors in both of them. He's the he's the dude who's in the nursing home and Junior later on. But he fights Chris Tucker early in the movie and he like beats it out of him. He says, wipe yourself, you're bleeding, and he throws him like a rag. And then later Chris Tucker kills him and throws a rag onto his dead body and says, wipe yourself, you're dead. It's that is very good. Yes, I'm sure the movie is not age well, but that line is whatever with me forever. Yeah, it's good. It's like, uh, there's so many of those one offs. And Tombstone another movie I showed him as everything that she had not seen. Another movie that there's like two women in that have like four lines. There's a trend with the movies I like guys.
Speaker 3: Past the bash Dell test. Also all the women are hooker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah, one woman who was coming additional test. There's the home wrecker woman in Tombstone, and then there's the drugged up addicted to not Valley. What was the medicine they were all taking laudanum wife. Those are the two female yeah, and the one who's just like with val Kilmer. Also, his performance is Doc Holliday is incredible. The men in this movie were incredible, like specifically specifically the men.
Speaker 4: I uh. Last night with Bonk watched the movie that I think was also based on the Iliad and also failed the Bechdel test.
Speaker 1: It's Heads of State.
Speaker 4: It's the one where John cenas the President and Edris Elba is the Prime Minister of England and they're on Air Force one and Air Force one gets shot down over Belarus and they have to like fight terrorists together.
Speaker 1: Sounds cool, iliad because the iliad.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I was lying about that part. I was not lying about it. Probably not passing the Bechdel test because I can think of two women in the movie. Well, no, they don't talk to each other, but one of them like kicks ass, and that doesn't pass the Bechdel test.
Speaker 1: If a little just kicks ass, right, no, no mind yous? No? The wait would they would come on? Let's be realistic.
Speaker 4: There's the first Lady, and there's the first Lady, the Vice President and the ass kicker lady, but they're never in the same room.
Speaker 1: Well, the vice President and the first Lady are not supposed to be in the same room, So that checks out. We don't want one nuke to get the whole White House.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Now the first Lady cries because she thinks John Seen is dead, and then the vice president turns out not spoilers for heads of state. The vice president lady, Carla Gagino. It turns out it was just a big scheme. Carla Gugino's in this movie. Absolutely, she is the vice President. Yes, I've not seen her since since City.
Speaker 1: I think download now. She was in Haunting of hill House. Oh okay, real good if you know she know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty it looked a lot like her. Yeah, that had to be here.
Speaker 1: She's not talking to any women in the movies I watch with her in it.
Speaker 4: Yes, she does play the vice president and then she winds up being evil and she tries to usurp Johnson President Johnson.
Speaker 3: At least it passes the fucking whack off test that.
Speaker 1: Each She passed that test with flying colors many a year. I have also introduced Amna to Annihilation, which is one of her favorite. So I'm an ally because that movie is mainly women. That's it's only women talking to you, guys, get all.
Speaker 2: Done in one film.
Speaker 3: That way you can watch all your porne.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember Annihilation if any men talk to oh yeah, they talks to the other dudes in that squad where it's like, oh, Dan, I know you've been playing Expedition thirty three. When when you use the when you use the main characters, build up ability, when you're when you're using the hell's name, the main character, Robert Gradyucker, it's the one you build up to you get ten the overcharge, the overcharge, yeah, which he says, he says for those to come after. It's like that's I mean, it's like a line from like age and storytelling. But they say that several times in an Annihilation. It makes me think of Annihilation, which is very much about people going into an unknown area and leaving breadcrumbs for the people that come behind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the videotapes and stuff like that. Yeah, I could totally see.
Speaker 1: That, like the expedition the journals or whatever.
Speaker 6: But we'll talk about expeditiones.
Speaker 4: That movie is so fucking cool. That is one that like every moment I've thought about that since the first time I saw it, I've liked it more.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was like Bog and I both let that theater thing, like I think we both gave it four stars on a letterbox, and then a couple of years later we watched it again, we're like, oh, that's a five. That's a five, Like that is fucking a perfect movie.
Speaker 1: And fucking uh what what what studio was it that like fucking had a panic attack and lost their balls right before it went to theaters, or like no, no, no, it's going two weeks and then going straight to Hulu or whatever. Oh, because they thought they're like people won't get it and like it's not that much. I mean, yes it has, there's complex layers to it, but it's also just pretty cool on the surface, like it is.
Speaker 4: I don't think we really appreciate it and got all of it the first time, So I do think it's one that benefits from a second watch for sure, or.
Speaker 1: A fucking tenth. Yeah. I love it. It's amazing. Wished some more dudes in it. Yeah, it's the only thing.
Speaker 4: What it was like, Yeah, naked John Cena and Interselva going into.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's just John Cena being like they call it the Shimmer. That's my John c an annihilation. Pretty good.
Speaker 2: This is where it's a little speed up.
Speaker 1: This Isla in the Shimmer. Yeah, is it glowing like that?
Speaker 4: That was a lot better than I expected it to be.
Speaker 1: It's just British. Oh yeah. The Wires is still really good though, for all of its faults. Yeah, there there's a scene later on where let's say it has rape vibes, but then the scene has a twist to it. I mean it's fucking old movie. I could say Ajax John Remar. James Remar's character the whole movie is given off rape vibes, and you're like, are they just gonna keep lett him get away with this? And then they encounter he they're walking through Central Park when they're coming through back from the Bronx, and uh, he sees this woman just sitting weirdly on a park bench and he's like, I'm gonna take care of his business and he hangs behind when they keep moving to get that meet everybody else at Union Square and then he's like coming on to this woman and she's like, she's flirting with him as well initially, but then he starts like making out with her pretty forwardly, and then he's like, no, I like, I like it rough. It's like, oh man, he's trying to rape her. And then it turns out she's an undercover cop, so they arrest him. And I was like, I don't know how to feel about that scene.
Speaker 3: Does that only validate that that's what he was doing all those other times?
Speaker 1: Is that he like? But then he then he got arrested. I guess like that's the like, there's there's also the one gang the the Lizzies. It's the one all female gang and they say danced to the song love is a Fire, Love is a Fire, Love is a Fire. I think they wrote it for the movie and the I don't know if using iliad comparisons, they would be like the sirens that like lure the men away with their beauty and their the siren song. A warrior, yeah, exactly. Corey Barlow was just watching the Warriors as he made She just stole as ideas from the Warriors. That's what he did.
Speaker 4: No, there was that time he had a kid and said, what if I made a game about being a dad.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's playing the Last of Us and watching the Warriors. And then I held h that's right, that's right. And they cried a lot about it. Yeah, but the words still good. Tombstone is still good, Annihilation's fine. Just too many women sound bite? Someone else? What else is that? Mary? We haven't talked about. Why the fuck you're in bikini bottom?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: You know you didn't want to reference my sick news setup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the audio listener, Mary's inside of tron and there's a pineapple that's sponges there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm at the Twitch offices for work and this is one of our streamer rooms and it's just, you know, an led nightmare in here. It's like crazy the amount of lighting that they've put into the background so that it looks cool.
Speaker 4: You have hexagons. I like hexagons.
Speaker 2: Kids love the hexagons.
Speaker 3: I don't expect, but like, this is what the kids like.
Speaker 4: Did you mean to say pentogon like mcgruber, Yeah, because there's actually only five sides max to any of them.
Speaker 1: No, those are hexagons. There's no closed off hexagon, is my point.
Speaker 4: Those I know, but it's it's like jazz the the hexagons. You don't play.
Speaker 1: A jazz wall. I met the Pentagon.
Speaker 2: A strange location, but oh I forgot.
Speaker 1: To email you or I forgot to tell you guys. So we'll be in Cape Cod in a few weeks. And uh, there's a one of the last or one of the last dozens of drive in theaters in the country is in well Fleet in Cape Cod, and a couple of years ago we went and we watched Top Gun Maverick there. It's fun. You pull the car up, you turn the radio on to the right station, you flip open some chairs, some mosquito spray, some drinks, and you're awesome. You're good to go. I emailed them like a couple of weeks ago. I was like, Hi, I'm curious how much it would be to like to run a certain movie, and like, I know that they have like their own projectionists and there's a lot of complications and also a lot of other people in Cape Cod. I was gonna see if I could sort of get them to play mcgruber, but no, They're like that would require like a twenty or like a several thousand dollars buyout, and like, okay, I lost interest. But I think it's just Jaws, which is a good movie to watch at Cape Cod when you're swimming on beaches all week.
Speaker 4: It's a great movie. But I just want to say, if you want a bad enough, my buddy Ross did for his birthday rent out a theater here in Minnesota, and I have to play mcgoover, so be great.
Speaker 1: But this is drive in like sad Night. They're they're they're pretty well stocked with customers.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure the neighbors love hearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah that, uh that drive ins are so successful, because you.
Speaker 1: Know are I don't think they are. They're just I think they're like.
Speaker 3: Now, I think that they there's a nostalgia to them now, and the ones that I see are are doing great, but you know, there's not as many of them anymore, so they're kind of like clinging to this old timey vibe that you get to still, you know, bang out.
Speaker 1: While you want. I mean, they do those ones on like Governors that's what they did back in the day. They do they do the one on Governor's Island here. I think it's just a huge like sort of that they roll out for it. This is a built in. They've got the concession stand in the middle of the parking lot that you got to go to between the intermission between the movies.
Speaker 4: It's awesome, but I totally go it's fun. What do they do They rent out they used to rent out the thing.
Speaker 2: Do they get you speaker? Some of them?
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, you get there's little posts next in the parking spots with speakers, but half of them are broken, which adds to the charm. So you just turn They tell you what radio station to turn to so you can hear it in your car.
Speaker 3: But I feel like you could just keep moving the radio station over until you find the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the idea, So you can hear the movie, but you pay to get into the parking lot where you can see the movie screen. It's surrounded by trees, and then you have to pay to get into the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Could sit in a tree with the radio?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like a Ham radio. Yeah. I don't think they're.
Speaker 4: Why don't even know what a hammer different? It seems want to ham, I like saying ham.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't enjoy my life.
Speaker 3: All right, So anyway, so any person could just climb a tree with a Ham radio and watch a free movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, they don't care for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're trying to keep those hooligans out. I don't think they're losing that much money on them. It's movies that have been out for a while.
Speaker 4: I definitely when I worked at the movie theater. Maybe it was after I quit, I stole one of the walkies that like in all the ushers and basically everyone working the head of the walkie talkies, and I would just park my car within range of the theater and just me and my friends just be like, oh it a couple of people fucking in theater fourteen and like just like what, I'm sorry? Repeat that, like, you know, just fuck with them. Yeah, cool, cool teenager stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I was gonna ask like, did you have nothing better to do than I was like, well I was neither did I When I.
Speaker 4: Was a teenage I never had anything better to do near day, Yeah, no, I used to. I'd bring the TV begone thing where it's like it was just a thing you could buy and it would cycle through remote control codes and just hit the power button and I would just go to like the theater where all of the menus at a certain point turned into just screams. They're just flat screens with popcorn prices and everything. And I would just sit there and like stealthily point it up there and just shut it all down, like all the TVs, so all the menus, all the prices, and just watch the chaos unfold. And uh yeah, that's that probably caused trouble. I would think I'd do that at bars, like sports bars like Buffalo Wild Wings, they're showing like sports stuff, like all the TV's are off. I really should have gotten my ass kicked a lot, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you're saving it all, but like when you hit like fifty, you'll get beaten to death.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: And if that happened, I think during the beating, I think this makes sense. I had a good run.
Speaker 1: Would scared me so much if I was beating someone to death and they're like, this makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I might be saying al and stuff too. I wouldn't be like tough about it. I would be crying and screaming and get it. I get it, I get it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this has been a long time coming.
Speaker 7: Deliver me to hate these Oh, God of responsibility.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. It was Mike Manati and that's he just burked up here.
Speaker 2: That's how he goes.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can I tell a story that he told while we were on Blake Club today. I just need to hear your reactions to this. He said when he was younger, like mid two thousands or something, and Mike, I know you're listening. I'm sorry if I get any part of this wrong, but I don't think I will. There was a girl that he was into and he thought she was into him, and but at the time he didn't have a car. I don't think he got a license until like well into his twenties, so he needed rides places and on the day like, well into adulthood, you know, so I think this is an adult Mike Manatti. I think he said it was like whenever Chippendale Rescue Rangers came out on DVD, because.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean I wouldn't call him an adult.
Speaker 4: Now he starts thirty eight, he said, thirty eight.
Speaker 1: I don't know when adulthood will kick in for him, but like I don't, let's say oh four.
Speaker 4: I think let's let's say oh four. That sounds right. And again, Mike, sorry if I got that wrong. And anyway, he went to go to best side because it was it was the day Chipendale Rescue Rangers came out on DVD, and so we had his friend, the girl who he thought there was something going on with, to pick him up and take him to get Rescue Rangers. And she played on loop on repeat that Bloodhound Gang song the You and Me Baby ain't nothing but mantals let's do it like they do like the least subtle hint in the world, playing the like hey, let's fuck song over and over, and he said, in his head, He's like, that's interesting. She keeps playing that anyway, Chi Chipandale and he was like super excited about watching Chippendale, so we went and picked it up. She went to like drop him off at home and he's like, well, see, yuah, it's just watched Chippindale.
Speaker 3: What a fun lady that was who helped take me to go get this DVD box set.
Speaker 4: I don't know why she kept playing the hey, let's fuck song on repeat.
Speaker 2: She must have been so frustrated.
Speaker 4: Oh, Mikey, I love that man all Mikey. Yeah, which fucks me up because I called you Mikey recently and you were like, what the fuck You've never called me Mike and was like, oh fuck, I've been hanging out with Mike Manatti too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe give he's a pure soul, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's like something good in that story of like never assuming intent of a lady and just being like she was the best anyway.
Speaker 4: He's a pure soul. But let's just be he is also supremely perverted.
Speaker 3: Well now, maybe it's like all that pent up energy just you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Beaten to death one day.
Speaker 3: He's just gonna explode into semen because he never actually took advantage of any time.
Speaker 2: The fuck.
Speaker 1: It's just gonna come out every orifice. He's gotta blown.
Speaker 4: Love your mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be. That'll be. I hope I'm there. Actually, don't don't help. I'm there.
Speaker 2: You absolutely sick.
Speaker 1: If I chance to see someone explode into a mist of seamen, I would probably want to be there. And it's a scary movie scene. You know which scene?
Speaker 4: There a scene in scary movie where the guys, like the like virgin guy or something's like really worked up about having sex and he's about to be laid and the girls on top and he's like and he like like it cuts to the ceiling. I think the girl gets plastered to the ceiling with seamen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Reference to nightmare on Elm Street. I've never seen those.
Speaker 4: I don't know what. I've never seen him, Freddy, I've never seen it. Jason.
Speaker 1: I saw a number on Elm Street for the first time in a hotel in San Diego. The first time I ever had flown anywhere. See my brother come back from Iraq or wherever and uh or wherever it was wherever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Canada, Yeah, Canada, third to Montreal, third tour in Fiji.
Speaker 1: Uh. He saw some action in Bora Bora, Sure, sure, but I was watching this.
Speaker 2: Two turtles going at it.
Speaker 1: I saw Nightmare on Elm Street and there's the one scene where he's like stabbing someone up to the ceiling, but then you go back into the real world outside of the dream and the person's getting dragged along the ceiling trailing blood but getting stabbed like over and over. It's fucked up.
Speaker 4: See these movies sound cool, Like I just remember the Simpsons with the groundskeeper Willie where it's the Halloween parody thing and thelastic. Yeah, like the idea of a guy who fucking me up in your dreams is great and terrifying. Like I guess I've just never seeked out horror, you know, and.
Speaker 1: No one wants to sleep, and no, they're trying to asleep, but then they like fall asleep and then they get killed.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really cool idea. I should watch those.
Speaker 1: Freddy was cool.
Speaker 2: He was funny.
Speaker 3: Another thing that's also important, so he spoilers is a child molester and the parents, detail guess, and they track him down and they kill him, and I think they like light the house on fire or something like that, and he's essentially.
Speaker 2: Like, I'll get them in there dreams and so like that's what he does.
Speaker 4: It's always going.
Speaker 2: After kids specifically.
Speaker 1: It's wow, yeah.
Speaker 2: Character the children of the parents that killed him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is like why he's specifically targeting these kids and he gets them in their dreams.
Speaker 4: Where all those times I've seen like people like kids and stuff being Freddy Krueger for Halloween, they're dressing up as a burnt child molester.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that one's overlooked.
Speaker 3: That's why I like always found Jason's story to be like so much more interesting because it's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, Jason's mom was like she was the original killer, right that he like he like kind of took the throne so to speak.
Speaker 3: At Lake, he becomes the killer because he like assumes the lore like kind of like a campfire lore, and he became like it comes to life, and so.
Speaker 2: The children in him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was just he was just depressed and went on the killing spree.
Speaker 2: I could kill the teens that are banging. I think he's just a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like fascinating video estays that whole that era of horror. The worst thing any of the teenagers could do that would get them marked for death was anything.
Speaker 4: That's what Screams whole deal was just playing on those tropes. You know. I like Scream a lot, Like I didn't see it until a few years ago, but like I hadn't seen any of this shit it's referencing. I just do think it's a good movie in its own right, Like I hadn't seen any of those classics Freddie Jason or anything. But I do remember were both of you there, maybe just Mike when Tim Turry on Halloween had to watch Halloween one and two. It was at the place you used to live with him, Like I don't know, you might have been there. Yeah, And I can really appreciate Halloween that because like John Carpenter is like that. That's how it got me in the door where TAM's like, it's John Carpenter, come on, it's gonna be great. And it was very good suburban horror.
Speaker 1: Like also like some of the shots when he gets into the houses, like also it's.
Speaker 3: Similar from the Guy It's scary.
Speaker 1: Similar to Jaws. Also, it's like those movies are also just good movies in their own right, aside from the horror bits. Also, Jamie Lee Curtis is awesome, Yes, yeah, there's a reason they're lauded. But yeah, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like you can like Scream as much as you want because it is a good film in its own right, but I think watching the movies it's referencing will give you a better perspective of why it's very smart because of the tropes that it's playing on.
Speaker 2: Same with Scary Movie. You'll appreciate that movie more.
Speaker 1: In the Woods, yes, I like that, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a brilliant film too.
Speaker 3: But I think again, knowing the original is you know, what they're based off of, will give you like a deeper appreciation for what they're doing.
Speaker 4: But I think through osmosis, I think those tropes like you know, I knew, but like, oh don't split up. All these people have sex and they're gonna get killed. So it's like I was aware of the tropes enough to appreciate what Scream was doing with that.
Speaker 3: You know, dude, you sugarcoat ignorance like skittle. You are like just constantly like I this is actually a good thing that I don't.
Speaker 2: Have about that.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm sure there's a deeper appreciation for Scream, but it's not like I was like, what are they talking about, you know, like I understood what they were referencing, Like horror.
Speaker 2: I get all these jokes just fine.
Speaker 1: There might be there might be one that proves me wrong. But I do think horror is the most self referential, self obsessed like niche. It's not a niche. A lot of people are into it. I fucking love it. Mary, you and I had a horror podcast. But yeah, horror is obsessed with itself as a genre, like I don't I don't know that, Like I mean, everything is like same like uh, Mob movies also are, but not as on the nose about it, and Captain in the Woods is as on the nose as you get, which was great because of it. And I also think, I I still love Cabin in the Woods, but I don't think like westerns, I don't think that like sci fi can get I likely get self referential as well, but.
Speaker 4: It's certain directors like Tarantino, like all of his shit is references in movies about movies, you know, Wes.
Speaker 1: Anderson, same thing, pta same thing. I just think like horror is the most like uh literal about it, whereas like those directors like Greta Gerwig does a lot of it too, where it's like, you know, they they're clearly cinophiles. There's a reason that they became good directors because they've seen everything and they you know, they can't help but like reference stuff because movies built them as a person. But horror is like in the very script, it's like, hey, do you get what we're referencing? Cabin in the Woods? Like every time I watch I still like it, but it's also like, oh wow, they really are just like going at it like with a hammer and I'm the now, But yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: Do you want about video games? Or do you have something to say? Mary? You your mouth is open.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about a horror movie I just watched, but I don't know if I love it. So it's twenty eight years later to like describe it. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I did see that.
Speaker 4: I've not seen the previous two, but I saw years I've seen the previous two.
Speaker 2: What is your problem? This is literally what I just said.
Speaker 3: I just discussed this and how despicable it is. And you don't know any of the reference, but you're probably gonna be like, yeah, they hung mad Dong. It's like pretty sick film I think I got the gist of this.
Speaker 4: No, I fucking I asked many people like, if I haven't seen days or weeks, can I go and enjoy this never feeling like, No, it's anthology style. It's not based on like you know people to me, like, I just knew that there was a zombie thing in two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, and like, you know who wrote it?
Speaker 4: Alex Carr No, no, no, no, no, no, no, it was yeah, you're out.
Speaker 1: To three and fucking u Tulci Gabbard.
Speaker 4: What's his name? No, it's a Tony Gilroy.
Speaker 1: Tony Gilroy, Honny Gilroy who did Maverick, Top Gun and Burn the Bourne movies and Robert ludlumon him. Yeah, and Tony Gilroy was involved with some of those. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, Alex Garland wrote twenty eight days later. Danny Boyle directed it. Danny Boyle attached to this at all. Yes, he directed it. Oh what did Tony Gilroy do produce? Right? Wrote? O? Wait?
Speaker 4: So did Alex Carland write?
Speaker 1: He wrote? Yes, so, Alex Garland wrote twenty eight days later and Sunshine. Danny Boyle directed both of those. I believe Alex Garland's directorial debut. Fuck, what was it? It would have been before Annihilation. I gotta look it up.
Speaker 4: Here's the answer, okay, written by Alex Garland twenty eight years later, directed by Danny Boyle. And then who's the other fellow we were talking about?
Speaker 1: Tony Gilroy Tony Gilroy, right, Alex Garland, and then Annihilation and then Men and then Civil War and then he did Warfare, which I gotta see Warfare.
Speaker 4: I want to see that too, but I'm waiting until it's like affordable on four K because I don't want to watch that streaming. I want to watch that full boom and.
Speaker 1: And it's like A twenty four is doing a movie about seals is intriguing because that does not seem up A twenty four as Alley. I've heard it's very good. Yeah, same here. That's why I'm curious about it. I like A twenty four is always like impoverished people in this Florida housing project, or like gay people in Miami, or like, wait a minute, it's a bunch of seals now, and I think Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: But it seems like it's done well. Yeah, it seems like that could be dicey territory but it seems like they handle it from whatever I've consulted on it without Yeah, yeah, like people that were involved with like whatever that event was.
Speaker 2: It's twenty eight years later.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes, I did.
Speaker 4: I thought I liked it more and more as it went when, because I don't like zombie stuff normally, I just find it boring. But I think by the end it did some really interesting stuff, and like Ray Fines is in, he's great.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I really want to see it.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight days Later is one of my favorite zombie films of all time.
Speaker 2: I just watched it two weeks ago and it still holds up.
Speaker 3: I would say it's probably slower than most people would want their zombie films by today's standards, but it's like the anticipation of what's going to happen that I think makes it so so successful, and I just think it's fantastic. I haven't seen I really did not like twenty eight weeks later, which is the standard among most normal people, and twenty eight years later.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see it. I haven't had time yet.
Speaker 4: I would recommend it. I really, by the end liked it.
Speaker 1: Quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you've seen it before me, and you have zero appreciation.
Speaker 1: It's an anthology.
Speaker 2: You don't even like zombie films, you said.
Speaker 1: But I'm open minded and I'll go give.
Speaker 2: A shot serve the things that you have in your life.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's too my benefit that I am willing to try things that I thought I wouldn't like.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's great that I don't know shit about the world and haven't I don't try.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't like Job. I'm not gonna see that movie. Then I'm not.
Speaker 3: Gonna literally what you said about Mustard for the last three decades.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying, and I learned about Mustard. It's it's beneficial.
Speaker 1: We can all agree that Dan is a hero and a great person for taking this long to be open minded and try new things.
Speaker 4: You don't I've been fighting under the ball riker jeans for a long time. It is real fucking hard to be open minded.
Speaker 1: Dan finally escaped the cut.
Speaker 2: Your grand dad, you're being a piece of ship. Nothing to do with what a piece of ship you are. You're your own piece of ship.
Speaker 1: I've always tried to be better.
Speaker 3: Mary, You're gonna be like that kind of person who's like so bad and then right on your deathbed you're like I'm so sorry, and then heaven. Yeah, I'm good now, I'm.
Speaker 4: I'm genuinely speaking about that. I went to Catholic school, so obviously I'm If there's one thing I'm terrified of, it's Hell, like the idea of like if that's real, it's like, wow, a place where like the worst shit that you I'm just in a in a plane having a dental surgery with the anesthesia for eternity. That's like the scariest thing I can ever think of.
Speaker 1: Bring it on, fucking who cares?
Speaker 3: But got my dick, devil, Yeah, come get this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make it, devil my bitch.
Speaker 4: So I as a teenager who was still very afraid of the devil and hell and things like that. I wasn't like active life, was never actually going to church and stuff like that, but I still like by default, believed in it because I lived in Kansas and went to Catholic school. I was working at McDonald's when I was fourteen, and somebody handed me like they paid at the window and then they gave me like a little pamphlet. I was like, what the fuck is this? And I look at it and it was, uh, it was a little prayer thing and it said something about the lines of like make sure you say this prayer to absolve yourself of sins or whatever, and you'll go to heavy when you die. And for some fucking reason as a kid, I was like, oh, sweet, okay, so no matter how much, Like I'm like fourteen, so I'm like whacking off crazy at the time, and I was like I was told that was like super sin and like I'm going to hell because I'm whacking off way too much. And it's like, but this lady McDonald's handed me a pamphlet and so if I'm about to die, I will just say this, like I accept Lord Jesus Christ into my Life's my Lord and savior, you know, absolved me of my blah blah. And I like that was so burned in my brain that like anytime just knee jerk reaction if there was like a car swerve on a highway or the turbulence or something, or every time I come it's just like, oh the Lord, accept the Lord and Savior. Yeah, and it's like I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'll be clear for if that's the case, Angels.
Speaker 1: I don't with you.
Speaker 3: They're all like, no, don't check in on him every time he does that prayer.
Speaker 2: Do not go in.
Speaker 4: There, Mike said, the coming thing. I just do it when I'm about to die.
Speaker 1: I live long since since, stop praying when I'm jaying it.
Speaker 4: It was only because I was a good I was a good Christian boy. So I wouldn't whack off on Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Or Eastern Those are the only two days I really would.
Speaker 4: I would be like and I would like have to like talk myself up as a kid to be like. Christmas Eve, I'm laying in bed, I'm like, all right, after midnight, I can't be whacking off.
Speaker 2: You had to get yourself county to.
Speaker 1: Not jack off the next day. I was fourteen, sir, it's fucking Saturday before Eastern. Dan's in church just like, no, he's about to be resurrected.
Speaker 4: He's in the tomb right now.
Speaker 1: Edward forty hands, his mouth's like what the fuck? He ends up just like, but.
Speaker 4: Just rub these together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his dick was pinched off by two for days of cold forty five. All right, way to go, that'd be great, bleed out of your dick.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think I got to haven't think covered if that's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys watch my vibiams now, sure, Yeah.
Speaker 2: We don't have to. But we never talked about the film that I know why we pose it. We were like, oh, looks like Mary has something to.
Speaker 3: Say, and I said, yeah, I watched a horror movie, but I don't know if it's very good.
Speaker 1: And then twenty eight years later another.
Speaker 3: It's twenty eight minutes talking about a horror movie that Dan doesn't know shit about, but kind of like.
Speaker 1: No, we're here, we're here. What is the movie?
Speaker 2: I'm still making fun of you? Ignoring me?
Speaker 4: Right, you're making fun of mine.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between ignoring and interrupting and willfully the worst redirecting you.
Speaker 4: What is the movie you are?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Ally, you didn't stand up.
Speaker 1: For me there, Mary? You know what? You know what show has never been?
Speaker 2: It's just you shaying it for like the last ten minutes.
Speaker 1: You know what show has never passed the backdel test virus?
Speaker 2: This one?
Speaker 4: Wow, I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: What is the movie you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: I got to get a woman to report place one of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the Yeah, what's the movie? Go?
Speaker 2: Okay? So what I was gonna say before?
Speaker 4: I was wagging off on Christmas?
Speaker 1: No you weren't. You better not have been? No, No, no I wasn't. I was sorry. Sorry, sorry, Mike, you're gonna say something. I was jade and a Halloween wearing a Freddy Krueger costume. I still have no clue. What shut up?
Speaker 4: Mary's trying to say something.
Speaker 1: Long finger, extra long, wolverine blades, just chopping my dee up. Fucking Julian, this Freddy just stabbing my dick over and over. Do you want candy? What are you doing on our porch? That's talk? What do you say to the cops when you call them? There's a child's paying Olympics sing himself on our porch? Do I give him a fucking Hershey's bar? What does he need? I think we need an ambulance. He's got a sweater on and he's married.
Speaker 4: Do you see how respectful and quiet on?
Speaker 1: He's pretty burnt up?
Speaker 4: Bad?
Speaker 2: Stop trying to be an ally.
Speaker 4: I'm Mary, Mike. Let Mary talk hello?
Speaker 2: Please only doing for the validation this dick.
Speaker 1: His dick is cut in half. Pretty bad he just exploded into a mist of com I guess he's gone. Never mind, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by A twenty four.
Speaker 1: What have you seen?
Speaker 2: Both of you? It's another movie from A twenty four. It's called Talk to Me.
Speaker 1: Really these days, damn it.
Speaker 3: It's A twenty four's highest grossing film, so it's really small.
Speaker 2: Talk to Me. It's a high g.
Speaker 3: I think it's made in Australia because everybody has Australian accents.
Speaker 2: I assume it is. It's an interesting concept, so I'll do my best to tldr it.
Speaker 3: The concept is is there is like a disembodied hand that these like high schooler kids have gotten their hands on, and they understand the system. You like, light a candle, and when you touch this disembodied hand, a dead person will appear in front of you.
Speaker 2: And if you say I let you.
Speaker 3: In, then the dead person goes into your body and is you for like as long as they let you is the dead person not always, but like they might not be a good person. Some people are dead because of an accident. Well, so the reason the kids like doing it is kind of like almost like a high. They like doing it because when somebody enters you. It's like a crazy feeling that you're not yourself and like a dead person got to like be in your body.
Speaker 2: Is that's crazy.
Speaker 3: But then all the kids use their phone to like film what happens because they sometimes say or do crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: Because they are conscious of what their body's doing during they.
Speaker 3: Don't know they don't know during the possession what's happening, but they have like crazy vibes and feelings. But you have to get out within like sixty to ninety seconds or the person who's in your body wants to stay, and then there's like an incident where essentially, like you know, you could kind of see where it's going, but like if you don't get the person out in time, then the person that the dead person wants to stay in the body and it causes all these crazy complications. I actually think it's quite good, but I will preface this with a low budget, so like don't go into this expecting like really cool graph It's mostly like dialogue and just kind of creepy conceptual things that's happening. But it's all you know, students are you know, kids in school that are going through this like super traumatic crazy stuff. I thought it was a neat concept, and I like the way it was executed. But I also think, like, if you're one of those people that are like, don't go in there, you'll die, you'll hate this film because it's it's high school kids, so they make nothing but terrible decisions.
Speaker 2: This entire film.
Speaker 3: All they do is make awful, awful choices, So you have to go into it being like, these kids are dumb.
Speaker 2: They'll probably all die. Like I'm not going to stress about that.
Speaker 4: I I like getting recommendations from you, Mary, because I feel like you have not really missed. And the latest one that we took you up on was Barbarian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was so much better than this. I'm a little worried. I can't live that up.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is I actually when this movie was over, I was like I didn't like it, and then I slept on it and I was like, it's it's actually not that bad. But I don't want to overhype this at all. This is no Barbarian. This is this is a low budget Let me try and preface this is like an indie game equivalent. This is low budget student not student grade, but like lower quality film with student act like you know, young teen actors that I was like, hey, not too shabby, but I don't think it's that good.
Speaker 2: So I'm a little worried.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're gonna see this and be like Mary, that was not I.
Speaker 4: Feel like you've couched it properly. I feel like you built up quite a bit, but then you sold.
Speaker 3: I feel so strongly about Barbarian. I mean, like, I think the movies just kind of dumb. I I really do like watching horror movies. I watch them all the time, and I feel like I would like to do like a maybe, Mike, that's something we do a bonus of of like top like you know, fifty or one hundred horror movies. Because I've seen so many now, I have gotten quite finicky with what I think is like the quintessential horror films that everyone has to see. Now with Halloween a coming, which I know that probably sounds insane because it's like July, but this is actually the time when I start thinking about my Halloween costume because they usually take about three months to build, So like, I don't fuck around, like I have to start thinking about it now.
Speaker 1: Uh. The Barbarian directors' new movie is coming out in like.
Speaker 4: Zach krecor webone again.
Speaker 1: It's that trailer where all those like kids are oh like like running out where like, yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 3: The anime I'm so excited about Naruto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm seeing there's some are there early reviews out weapons.
Speaker 3: Gregor August eighth, it's coming out, so it's such a creepy trailer.
Speaker 2: They I'll tell you what that and Barbarian.
Speaker 3: They know how to make a trailer because it was so brilliant about the Barbarian trailer.
Speaker 2: Now, Dan, did you see.
Speaker 4: You were so adamant not Yeah I did. After the fact I watched it, it was like, oh, that's really good.
Speaker 3: It's a brilliant trailer because they resturrect you like she's it's it's like a scene where she's like, oh, something's wrong and the guy's like there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong, and you're like that guy's bad.
Speaker 2: It's all misdirection.
Speaker 4: It's like there's also the trailer where they're like justin Long's new movie, like a couplets that is so risky like that I respect that so much because, like you know, marketing people at any fucking big movie company have got to be like, no, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: That's not gonna like.
Speaker 2: You know, you got to show the monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah I can't.
Speaker 4: So like whoever, whatever battles they fought to make sure they like hid what that movie was good on them, Like that's fucking awesome.
Speaker 3: I think in the horror genre, at least it is understood that you don't you don't actually want to show the the bad thing, like it's it's a Jaws, that's Jaws rules, where it's like, you know, we don't see it for half the movie, ye don't see it. You know, you got to build the anticipation and the fear and the concerns and.
Speaker 2: All that stuff. So yeah, I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 3: I think there's gonna be it's gonna be a good Q three of scary movies.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: One battle after another. Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie. We've seen the trailer for that. Uh no, it's based on Uh, I forget who wrote the book, but uh Leonardo DiCaprio. It's like this rebel sect that's rising up during a revolution Benicio del Toro. But watch the trailer Leo is just the biggest slob ever.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah he should.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's on his way. The last couple of films he's been and I'm like, you do this did not do well for you. Like, he's obviously a very cute man, but at some point they've really, they've really let himself go. I saw Killers of the Flower Moon finally on an airplane because I had I had like eight booblous hours to kill and I was like, I might as well watch this film.
Speaker 2: And it is so so long, and.
Speaker 4: It's one of the only times I think I've fallen asleep in a movie.
Speaker 3: It's unnecessarily long. I think it really insists on itself. But holy shit, they it insists upon itself. Leonardo DiCaprio, they like, at no point were like, no, he doesn't need to look good in this, Like they just make him look like a piece of shit the entire film.
Speaker 2: And I I respect that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look up the tra for one battle after another. Yeah, no, the Killer's the Flower Moon. We went to the Alamo in fight. I here in New York and my Amanda and my friends and my friend they both fell asleep, So me and my buddy, my friend's wife or sorry, my friend's husband were awake and we had just ordered four espresso Martiniz to all stay awake, So me and him had to end up drinking to a piece and I still fell asleep during that movie.
Speaker 4: It's like me and Mike seeing Rambo five and getting too many white cloths, like spilling it all over each.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because that was fucking wow. Let's let's move from my opinions about Rambo five. No, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: The thing I'm curious about is he brought up Leo and A twenty four and reminded you I heard of this new Scorsese movie he's making.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be like a good Fella.
Speaker 4: Style thing with like it's about this real life mob boss that was in Hawaii and it's Leo and then the is gonna play the mob boss in this Scorsese movie. He especially the super charismatic mob boss, and like Rock, like I'm seeing it happen like right now. Where the Rock was doing his big kind of like action movie thing, he's trying to be the new Arnold doing is you know, rundowns and walking talls and all that and fast fives and all that shit. And then he that kind of stalled out. You know, it seems like that Black Adam thing really damaged his reputation in Hollywood. And he has like numerous projects in the works right now that are all like clearly like a determined career swing where it's an A twenty four movie by this one of the safties I think it's Benny Safty. Oh where the UFC thing where he plays that UFC guy. He looks fucking crazy and it's him and Emily Blunt and the trailer and like he looks nuts and it's clearly like a real movie, like an A twenty four thing. There's this Scorsese thing where he's gonna be this mob boss and there was Oh, it's a Darren Aronofsky movie. So he's gonna and Darren Aronofsky's the movie he's sitting like the late nineties. He's gonna be this like charismatic kind of like you know, Tony Robbins guru type or whatever. So it's like I'm curious how he does. Like, can you guys picture the rock as people are wrestling people, so you're not tainted by the wrestling aspect.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I've seen enough of it. I think he's got that star power, like not the star power, I think he's got the acting shops where it's like I feel like Batista was also kind of did this not well.
Speaker 4: But he's started with that, you know. I mean, but he's a did like Guardians and stuff like that. But like Batista was like doing really thoughtful twenty forty nine.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: He was like moving away from the rocks lane.
Speaker 3: I think Batista also like did I think he like earned a little bit more of his chops by doing like more humble roles, whereas like I've I've kind of gotten a little sour on uh, Dwayne Johnson just because I feel like he's taking himself much more seriously. I I just haven't seen anything where I'm like, now, this is acting. It's usually the same goddamn goop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like charismatic Smiley, you know, Blockbuster guy. That's why I'm wondering, like, with three like kind of artsy, big name movies coming up, I wonder if he will do this pivot successfully. I'm very very curious to watch this.
Speaker 1: I don't know that all three of those directors and I've said my Peet. When Drew was here, Daniel rout I talked about how I think Darren Aronowski makes a lot of shitty movies. I don't know that Scorsese and what would whether it's Benny or I forget Ben's brother's name, every one of his I don't know that they would have like cast him just because he's trying to make this pivot, like he must have shown something or like.
Speaker 4: Clear he's extremely talented, he's insane, and like you're talking about Batista being humble, like Rock is the least humble guy in the world. But like, yeah, I wonder if I do think he might have the chops like Mike to what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I see it, I want to think, like Adam Sandler would have been good in uh Punch for people Safty Brothers.
Speaker 3: Again, I would prefer them to take the risk, even fail and be like, Wow, they tried something outside of their wheelhouse. Then be like the same one trick pony their whole career. So like, good on him for putting in the energy and earning it. I just haven't seen, I haven't been validated yet that like they actually can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 4: I think we were robbed of you broughtut a Sandler and how he made the turn and punched drunk and uncut. I think there was a world where if Chris Farley had survived. I think that man was so unbelievably talented and charismatic that we could have seen a Sandler ask like Chris Farley could win an Oscar if he had survived. I think like that guy was just a ball of chrisma and entertainment. But I think he would also have like a darker side you could tap into and be very very good at.
Speaker 1: You know. I wonder if he would have had all that if he wasn't living the way he was though. That's yeah, so I don't know him and John Belushi.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Norm, Norm could have won an Oscar.
Speaker 1: What an actor? Yeah he's amazing. And what the fuck funny bit? What is it called funny bit?
Speaker 4: Which one?
Speaker 1: Funny people? No funny business? What's the one where dirty work? Dirty work? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, dirty work screwed? And yeah he's the worst actor in the world.
Speaker 1: He's in Billy Madison too.
Speaker 4: Briefly, Sandler gets his friends paid for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, you want to talk about video games? Yabe. All right. Uh, if you follow Giant b on you probably know Dan. You have taken the turn and started playing Claire Obscurity Exhibition thirty three. Fill the fire escape people in. What are your thoughts? How far are you before you had? I not played any of it last time we talked expedansion, So is that a is that a series or was it just one?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, it was just one stream. But you're playing in your free time the whole game.
Speaker 4: So if you're worried about spoil, I'm gonna talk generally about where I'm at in the game. So mute.
Speaker 1: If you need to have you both beat it.
Speaker 4: Uh, No, I forget. I forget again. I forget everything we ever talk about. No, are you both into it?
Speaker 1: I talked to a friend and apparently I'm like two hours from the end.
Speaker 3: I treat death stranding like you treat j RPGs death stranding disrespectfully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's primed to wow death strand attack death Stranding to expression thirty three. I love it.
Speaker 4: I'm going up to the Patress's heart. Oh okay, okay, I'm like at the monolith, so.
Speaker 1: You're yeah, so like five sixths of the way through, probably.
Speaker 4: It feels like I'm yeah closed, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah. Okay, so you you mad? You covered some ground, You're not far behind me.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, Mary, what's your uh status on that status?
Speaker 2: On the game?
Speaker 4: Are you playing thirty three?
Speaker 3: I'm actively I haven't played it at least in two weeks, so I haven't played it in a while.
Speaker 1: I'd love how you first started the sentence, I'm actively well, I haven't played in two weeks.
Speaker 3: Active in the sense that I haven't quit, and I would traveling a lot. You'll notice that all of my games are games that you can play on a Steam deck or phone.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with a bit of the beginning of this year.
Speaker 3: I've just been traveling so much. But I do I have, I am, I haven't quit yet, I like would like to complete the game.
Speaker 4: So let's do this. Let's do oh cat debut here, Let's do a fuse. Let's bring the fuse. Let's dust it off for where we are right now. If the game ended right where we're at, I'll start. I think I would give this a nine.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, if you had, if you had, if you had asked me an hour two hours prior in the game, I would have been a nine, I will say, and this is uh hmm, this is tough. It's one of those games. Once you see where the ending is going, or you think it's going, it's hard to give an opinion on it. Like your opinion itself almost kind of spoils stuff at the end. Okay, well, then try lightly. That means just assume I was at the same point in the game as you. I would have probably also said nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, So basically, something happens and you're less.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think once the ending kicks in the gear and maybe something completely reverses again, but once you see the turn they take, I'm like, ah, not my cup of tea.
Speaker 4: Well put it this way. If it's a story based thing, yeah, there's not much. Like they could just shit their pants on credits and I would like still give us a nine. Like I like the story. I'm more invested in the story than I certainly expected to be, but like, just the moment to moment has been so fun. I don't think any narrative thing could hurt my opinion at this point.
Speaker 3: I feel like right now I'm at a seven. And that's really mostly because despite the fact that Mike you described the combat system really well when you were playing it. It's very intricate. But for me, I just don't care about stances and like the learning a different combat person for each I think it's a bit too concluded. This is a personal subjective opinion. I think the game is probably excellent for what it is. These are just not games I usually play. And I'm like, God, damn it, do I have to like memorize each system and like use the same system of lighting them on fire and then using this girl because she does more damage when they're on fire, and then using this guy because he's at his tenth hit so he can do like the super damage whatever. And it's just like, I don't know. I think what I'm saying is is I think the game is very good. I just don't think the game is Generally, these types of games are not for me.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's that's how I typically have been with the turn based RPGs. But like that the snappiness of the combat and just how good those counters feel, and something like the counters.
Speaker 1: I do like systems too.
Speaker 4: Like the thing I don't like in turn based RPGs is just feeling like I'm selecting something from a menu and then I just watch something. I don't feel like I'm planning a game. I'm just Oh, I picked the thing, and now I watch it.
Speaker 3: You have to be active because to do the damage correctly, you have to hit the button at the.
Speaker 2: Exact right time. Plus you have to be ready for counters. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I love like I have not dodged a single fucking time past the tutorial. I perry every I don't hit it every time.
Speaker 1: I hit a lot sometimes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah the jump thing in the yeah yeah, yeah, but I never die.
Speaker 1: Never ever. Love. You kill an enemy with one of those, like you jump and then fucking blast them and then the sun they all hit. Yeah, so fucking good.
Speaker 4: But I actually like the systems stuff because like I do can like the systems. It's not a game. It's not a game system in the way like an action game has like a Devil may Cry. I'm not, like, you know, do an active battle. But the systems do make me think like, okay, so I need to get my l in virtuoso stands. I need to do every possible Illuminia, what's that.
Speaker 1: Fucking If you build her correctly and you can keep her sorry continue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh I know, because like I'm trying to find ways like all of the stuff. Whenever there's new skills, anything that like keeps your in Virtuoso stands longer or illumina is that kind of help that or whatever. It's like, okay, well, so like the fire damage and mark is great on her, So I'll give these guys more stuff that cause burn and marking, and then I'll try to set it up so there before her.
Speaker 1: Its like I love that shit. It's like a logic puzzle, Like I think it is great, and it's like it's one of those games where I don't know, I'm in the shower. I'm like, oh fuck, I wonder if combining those two would help would like work, But I got Mile to basically, and I kind of I will. I love how they let you break the game. It's almost like Blatro esque in the way they're like, if you figure out how to break it, we're not going to stop you, even against major bosses. So Mile basically yeah you like yeah, Mary, like I I somewhat agree for sure, Like, especially every single character I think I said this last time feels like they're pulled from a different RPG because their systems how they work are so different, and it's funny to me, Gustav is so boring compared to everybody else his combat, Like it's fun it's dumb. It's like build up, build up until this like huge, uh, like all out of there, and like there are obviously intricacies to that, but miles like I got her set up, so I use the there's the ability where she can pass her turn basically to remain in the same stance, but also build up automatically three AP. But then there's another one where yees, if she hits a marked target, she'll gain three AP and stay in the same stance. So if I have not gotten the chance to do a mark target yet, then it won't matter. However, I started building up what's the mage's the elemental mage's name Lune. I build up her speed so much too, and also I use the luminae where she always goes first, so she's basically marking everybody, setting everybody on fire. And then by the time it gets to myle who's still in virtuosa stance, she does passe and a passe is the one the sword comes out of the ground, stabs them in their asshole. Basically.
Speaker 4: Oh, so that's the one that's normally five, but then it's two when you're in virtuosa, Right, that's the one I always build towards it.
Speaker 1: It sucks everything ups, but and then if you build it up to you can again. You can build up three if you just pass your turn, and it'll keep her in the stance she was in. Oh yeah, it's uh, I forget what it's called. But yeah, the the synergies between the characters are great. I also really really like how you can realize halfway through a battle that you're under leveled. Yes, but you could still pull it off because if you use the real time elements correctly. But but there's certain fights I will say, I think it was halfway through the game when you start fighting, uh, what were their names? The Something Maiden, the ones who stab themselves in the stomach to gain.
Speaker 4: The oh, the the they get like six armor.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if you you have to jump to dodge the swipe, and then if.
Speaker 4: The third one you can block, block and then jump.
Speaker 1: I think something like No, there's one where they stab themselves and they pull it out and just swipe and you jump. I've never tried jumping. So if you what happens if you Harriet does one character counter attack, it just acts like a normal Perry, like any other perry, which is one you don't take, you don't take damage. And yeah, okay, so that's what's cool. If you jump, if you do the jump and R two, yeah, all three of them will hit them. It'll count as three hits and they'll lose three shields. Oh that's it. And I learned that on accident because at a certain point, I'm trying to think of how I can explain this because I realize I'm like, oh fuck, I actually stand to benefit more from not attacking them right now. What was it? Oh? Okay, so I realized, okay, I'm about to hit them. They have on one shield left right now. I know they're about to do the stab themselves in the stomach and swipe, so they'll have four shields. And if I were to attack right now with Mile, Mile doesn't have that many multi hit moves. She has several. She's got the one that does fire damage or whatever, and that's like two or three hits. But the fourth character you get, she has a lot of multi hit attacks. So if I use that ability of Miles to just gain three AP and not even hit the maiden, and I'll stay in virtuoso. They'll all jump counter attack, that'll lose. That'll basically almost cancel out the stab themselves in the stomach attack because they'll do three armor damage. My next character will then do her like four move attack, the armor will be gone, Miles primed to just assassinate them with puss. So it's like, oh, I actually stand to benefit more from not just all out normal attacking them right now, because otherwise I'm wasting myles stance and AP and whatnot. So I'm going to bide her time use my character that's got the double edged Darth maul sythe who can do more armor damage one way.
Speaker 4: Like that's my party is like say the names, Yeah, I do, Verso cl A and my l are my three, and I've kind of just.
Speaker 1: Sorry Verso Cel and my oh so you don't you you got you got rid of Lunae.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like Luna and then weird fucking face mask guy or whatever, like they've got some interesting stuff going on, but like that's my main three right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I Cel was one of those ones where oh I had a dumb moment with cel I was like, wow, she is very weak. I didn't realize they did not auto assign her stat points when I got her my party, I already just sitting there. She was tough to figure out. But once you figure her out, and again, like each character, like oh god, I got to wrap my head around an entire new battle system for this each character, she was awesome, like the cool interplay. Basically, you're trying to build up two currencies with her, so it's like, Okay, I'm trying to build out the light and dark to enter Twilight when they're even, but also spending this one is going to generate this spending that's going to generate something else, so you really are thinking about it starts getting you in that chest mindset.
Speaker 4: It is very complicated where it's like, okay, well, if I'm in Twilight, I can build up to twenty four tail on this. So when I'm in Twilight, that's when I want to build up foretel and then I will you know, extinguish the stuff and then gain Twilight again. Like it's it took me a while. That was one where I was about to be like this is too confusing, but I just kind of bird forced understanding it, and I'm glad I did because.
Speaker 1: She's also just cool. Her double edged scythes are really cool, but like she's awesome. That's I bring up a lootro just because that game, like I will say, it's not as gradual or as masterful of a ramp up as Billatro is to how you can break the game, but the tools are there for you to just dismantle the game if you want to. I will say, like once I really really started, like I was staring at the illuminae screen for a while, and what else are they called the portos or no, I'm playing something elsetose pictos. I'll stare at the pictose screen for a while. I'm like, okay, would she benefit from this? And then there's the cool system where basically if someone uses that pictos in several successful battles, he then unlock it as a permanent past, which is great. So then you're just kind of like, Okay, well, I don't want to spend seven on of my illuminates on this. I want to just or I don't want to spend seven on, so I'll actively equip it and then I'll use that these the rest of these luminates to passively equip these other ones. This all probably makes way more sense if you play the game and or look at that screen, but that's the best I can describe it. So then it's like I've spent. There's been sessions where I sit down to play it and I spent And this might not sound that fun, but it was to me. I spent like seventy five percent of the two hours, like theory crafting the characters and like, uh, would this really work, and then trying it out and be like all right, well, I still kick the shit out of them, but like I still feel like I could push this mid max it to the Mac, like just all out in order to really use these characters how I feel like they should be well.
Speaker 4: And speaking of that, like, am I correct in like thinking that you can't go more than nine nine nine nine damage in a single attack, like a single I've never seen higher than that, like a single like a hack, like when I do like, oh they're marked in on fire and I use my l's sword pillar thing, I've never seen a number higher than nine nine ninety nine as the attack, which is confusing me because I feel like, I've heard a lot of people be like I was over leveled. I one shot of the boss, and I've been picturing like, oh, you killed the boss with the one hit. But I'm like, wait, it seems like ten thousand is about the most you can do. Does that mean that just in one turn before the boss could attack? Like, I'm confused by that. I don't know what have you done damage more than ten thousand?
Speaker 1: I want to say, yeah, but maybe I'm just imagining it. But to me, one shotting a boss means you beat them on the first tryst attack or first turn. No one shot what I don't know. One shot has never applied to a turn based game for me. One shot in a souls born game to me is you beat them on the first try. Oh okay, well if that's the I don't know how your point in your defense, I don't know what those people mean in terms of a turn based game.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that was like a souls burn term for first try. That's probably what it might I mean.
Speaker 1: I think it just goes back to the days where any boss fight, if you beat them on the first try, was a one first try. Okay, yeah, just first try you're.
Speaker 2: Both right, thank you, Mary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean like for real, because you can't get more damage until a certain point.
Speaker 1: Oh well, maybe I have got to that point, that's why. Or is it new plus maybe you can go above that? Maybe that would make sense if there is a new gad bus. I actually don't know. Yeah, I'm glad you're playing the game. Do you do you foresee this opening up? You're like maybe trying out more turn based games in the future, or is this one so specific blend of real time term.
Speaker 2: Special it does that it's not annoying.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing, is like it's doing several things that make me open to it where it is got the kind of command based stuff where I'm doing things in the middle of the fight, which keeps me engaged. But also it's not just like fantasy tropes. I think that's a big thing that has kept me from liking a lot of these is I don't give a fuck about swords and a kingdom and mages and stuff as much like this is like a cool setting, and like it sets up this entirely like this very original cool setup of you know, the PAINTERSS and the number and all that stuff, Like I think that's so cool where it's like every fucking traditional not everyone obviously, you know, like I like Corona Trigger that's kind of a different setup and everything, Like I have like jay Air produced in the past, but anytime it's just like, oh, here's the king and here's though it's the most powerful wizard, and there would be dragons, and it's like I don't fucking care. I just don't care a And then it's kind of the same way I would view zombie stuff, where it's like I've seen this shit a million times. It's never been interesting to me. I don't want to keep seeing it. So it's like when this starts with a completely unique story and characters in a storyline, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh this, this is new to me.
Speaker 4: This is cool, Like I can get into it, but I am immediately turned off by just like fantasy trope turn based RBG stuff, so like a Dragon Quest or something, or most final fantasies I'm just not into. I've tried. I've tried so many fucking final fantasies just because it's like, look, I know this is a pillar of gaming history, but most of them I just don't like playing at all. But like you know, Final Fantasy fifteen, it's like, oh, it's like a road trip. You're driving around the car, and it's more it's not turn based and stuff like Okay, that seems interesting, and I'll play like five hours of it and be like, eh, whatever, it's earth Bound. I want to try because that seems like it's a different It is like that the combat seems very traditional JRBG turn based, but the wrappings of it seems so much more interesting sci fi suburt have you tried? Yeah, I review the DS one. I review the d S one and I loved it. I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Chrono trigger I feel like is a way to escape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And that's the thing I don't dislike every JRPG, And like, you know, technically, you know those Mario Luigi's and paper Mario is. Granted, it's got the Mario factor going on, but I think more importantly it's got the actual like kind of active stuff during the battles. You know, That's the key thing for me. And I don't think it's ever been better than I'm seeing in Clare Obscure. Like I I find the battles thrilling, like if I finish a story type beat. I will just fucking hop on that fucking Ska is back and sail around and fight every fucking Why did why did Mike Mahrty just change my zoom name to David Buddy?
Speaker 1: Can you do before? Todd? Ghak? Who's that? Just Seinfeld supporting characters?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, Ska by the way, I love that dude, that Mike. Do you the optional thing with the wine Mike?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Mike, there's like a campfire thing. Because I always talked to everyone of the campfire and check in on everyone. There was just a scene where it's like, ESK, I forgot what spurred this on, but Versa was just like, oh yeah, I guess I'll tell you. Guys, like I keep all my wine and inside SKA it's about like very fine vintages.
Speaker 1: And someone mentions to me, I don't know how I didn't come across. I guess he's just like.
Speaker 4: Puking up wine into glasses and stuff like cl goes up, and it was like, fill me up. Why comes out of him? Because Verso keeps all this ship in him.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's rocky mind of my stomach. I there's a wine thing in Destreating two that I noticed as well. We'll get to that. But yeah, well, I there's there's one game, so Octopath Traveler too. I think, oh you did. Did you play the first one?
Speaker 4: I loved that one, I didn't beat it, and I didn't really do the second one.
Speaker 1: Try the second one out when you get the chance. The combat is just as crunchy like for a turn based game. It's it's intricate. I think the storylines avoid tropes pretty well. Eight different characters you can start with, and then you're building up the party and each there's a lot of side quests you're doing as you go around the world. So try that out because I think that's got enough active stuff going on that the combat might appeal to you in the way.
Speaker 4: That I really like the first one.
Speaker 1: That Try the second one. It's it's it blows up the first one basically. Okay, Yeah, so I'm about I think the hour count is something like twelve. In Death Stranding two, I'm halfway across Australia. Halfway across Australia based on the map. The last Cupid I connected or Cupid I used to connect.
Speaker 4: We should probably say spoiler's also for des stranding here. So do you know what act you're in or what chapter you're in?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 4: You're in only in three?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah? So okay, so the first one was just called Sam, second one was Lou, the third was h. I can't remember.
Speaker 4: It's fragile or something, so you had it. You don't know Neil much at all yet, m Okay, there's really good stuff here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're looking at the map, you know how when you you you insert the cupid or let it hover whatever, and it connects. The map shows basically almost half of Australia.
Speaker 4: That's so confusedograph because I feel like, wow, I feel like it didn't take long to be in like acts six or chapter six or seven, just the you must be doing a weird No.
Speaker 1: I might be. I might be passed because like act Lou, Act two or three was really quick. It was like three cuts, scene two things. Yeah, act four, So I might. I don't know, I might not have been paying enough attention.
Speaker 4: But if you haven't done any like Neil flashback, or like you haven't done any boss fights with No, so.
Speaker 1: I know I've seen some of the area, so I guess without spoiling anything, if you played the first game, you do all that, Mads Michelson, flash back to different American wars. I've seen some landscape stuff from like random thumbnails and videos of what it looks like in this game. To go back to those, it's like that Tetris effect looking whatever like. But no, I it tells me the last time I connected someone to the chiral network that I'm like eleven twelve hours in and it looks like half of Australia based on the Blue versus Red.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's wild that you're that far across Australia because I feel like that was like thirty to forty hours in for me.
Speaker 1: Huh, maybe I'm farther. I don't know. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 4: Are you just connecting stuff or you? Because I've done this twice now between this and the trip I went to com Gamer Productions. If you didn't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I could turn my PlayStation on show you the map, I guess, but it's I believe you. But that's you know, a different path. No, I don't think that would work because they tell you like the ones to connect are like, you don't get that many places from my understanding where you can branch off and go. You could branch off, but it seems like the places that you're actually connecting and revealing on the map, connecting to the chiral network, that's pretty scripted.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought. Yeah, so I thought you would be.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe I'm over exaggerating when I say half, but it looks like I've done definitely the Western Okay, let's say third.
Speaker 4: Have you done monorail stuff? No, you're You've barely eaked into Australia.
Speaker 1: It sounds like ten hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like Mexico, I said, was like seven to eight hours in you keep mind, this is like a sixty hour game.
Speaker 1: Mexico did not feel eight hours to me. I trust your opinion, I trust your your call. I'm just didn't feel like that.
Speaker 4: I just don't think you are as far in Australia as you think you are.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, that's good to know. I'm gonna put this out there and please feel free or spawn however you want. So far, I think this game is fine. Okay, I think it's Mary's big words.
Speaker 2: Better back that up.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I'm have to be clear. I'm having a lot of fun playing it, and I think that's the most important thing. And there are plenty of times where I get a new tool or a new ability or something I didn't even realize was possible in how these systems overlap and the mechanics interconnect, and I'm like, what the fuck that's awesome. The thing for me is And obviously I couldn't stand the first game when I played in twenty nineteen that if oh I grew as a person? I wrote a review about it, and then twenty twenty one rolled around, Yeah, Mary, when are you going to join the club? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I never grow, that's my secret.
Speaker 1: And I played in twenty twenty one. I'm like, ah, fuck, I'm in I don't know why. I'm in a different headspace. Maybe fucking COVID like lulled me.
Speaker 4: You were you were thinking about the American Dream writ large.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and I was thinking about me and how I grew as a person and how like I didn't really put much trust in like the you know, I didn't put much. I forgot what the fuck I wrote. But I it's so funny to me that the first game is like, you're gonna be fourteen hours in before you get any real weapon to fight bandits and then this game and let me I'm gonna say some stuff, and then I'm gonna say I get why this happened. It's like, hey, here's an assault rifle right off the bat. Here are there are twelve enemies in this base right over here. Two is so much more of a video game right away than the first game is. So I'm not I I appreciate that. I like it's it's two is more fun right away, yeah, which is great.
Speaker 4: It's handing you like here's a trink grenade launcher, which I just laughed when I saw that. I was like, okay, I'm shooting a grenade launcher and a dude's body is flying three feet and it's like he's sleepy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not lethal. It's fine. I the first game was one of those things where I'm like, Okay, I don't think I really liked the last four hours I played. Then I zoom out and I'm like, yeah, I actually kind of did. It was this really bold game that, like, you know, you look at the game as a formula or as a framework, it's like, oh, it's just glorified fetch quests that they ring a lot of a lot of emergent gameplay out of and when you can't fight people the whole time, and you have to be kind of stealthy, or you have to be crafty, or you have to think like someone who's not combat trained would. I think that was the game and its best not to say. Like, especially in the director's cut, you get stuff to like canon cargo, which is great this game, though I look at the formula of what I'm doing in a big picture, it's not that dissimilar from a fucking Ubisoft open world. You are you are, you are traveling across this map. Clearing enemy bases is a big thing in this game. It's you don't have to, but it's you have to go. The last four big objectives I've had were to either sneak through an enemy base and destroy this like Chiral disruptor, or clear the enemy base, collect cargo, and deliver that.
Speaker 4: It's not far right, though, I feel like you're making them sound like a far cry or something.
Speaker 1: I'm revealing the map by connecting it to the Kyrol network, much like you would climb a tower in those games and reveal part of the map that then allow.
Speaker 4: They're in bunkers, they're underground.
Speaker 1: That's the opposite of a tower. Again, Dan, I'm having a lot of fun playing this game. I'm not trying to be a dick.
Speaker 4: And they look like, here's the thing I'm not going to I will take no offense.
Speaker 1: I won't take like we're.
Speaker 2: In our goady discussions right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, do you see what I'm saying? Sort of though, Like as as a formula, you're crossing the map and there's some enemy bases that take out or sneak around. And to be clear, I'm playing this game as a stealth game. I think this game is at its best for me as a stealth game. I appreciate good stealth games. But the stealth, the combat, the a lot of the way these systems are interacting. It's kind of an okay, open world game. I think in the minutia, this game is incredible. I think I think this is an amazing When you look at the gadgets, they give you the creative tools you have, Like I was clearing an enemy base, and again to your point, I didn't have to, but I was like, all R, I'm going to clear this out because I have not seen the ramifications of this. But they tell me if I leave some enemies alive, it'll still be just as dangerous next time I backtrack past it or go to it. So I'm like, Okay, I'd like it to be safe in the future, so I'm going to or relatively yeah or no it's not so so's it's very fun to me. And I also say, I really do appreciate the vision cones of enemies. I think this game is pretty realistic in that, like, I really worry even if I'm like crouched on a ledge one hundred and fifty yards from someone, if they're in a watchtower, I'm like, they can see you in this game, which I love. That's refreshing because a lot of games it's like, why does he not see me? Anyway, I'm tranking a dude and it's loud, and I'm actually the game is very clear. It's like you should have a relocation area planned because this is all It's a trank sniper rifle, but it's loud. I also conveniently attached this speed exoskeleton to me, so I trank someone and then I'm fucking sprinting like way too fast front of human It's awesome, Like and then I'm getting to another ridge and then he's getting too close to me, so I bowlug on his head and he gets knocked out, and his friend comes to like kick him awake, and I javel in him with an electric spear, and like, the game is constantly giving you new tools with which to do this stuff. The thing is that I, and I've said this before, the first game was at its best when you're finding the story through the systems, in the emmergent story, at the gameplay and whatnot. It was amazing in that regard. I didn't care for the script. I think there's some funny, like bizarre shit going on that was like patent Lee Kojima, which is great. In this game, though, you're like you're going and you're connecting this new area and it's a fucking hermit musician who goes out there. He went into commune with nature and see how it impacted his music, and then he got stranded during the death stranding and he's like, oh, thank you so much, Like it's so nice to be part of Chirole network. Now I get shared with my music with anybody. Anyway. My friend's really into guns, So here's a shotgun schematic like what why did this musician? He should have given me something like a fucking guitar sniper rifle if anything. Well, and I and I'm and I'm it's funny, like I'm having fun with this game despite itself. But I have to say it does feel like a sophomore slump. I do hope. I do hope there's a Death Stranding three. I'm assuming there will be, because I.
Speaker 4: I don't know there will. I hope he's got od infision in the chamber. Yeah, GQ interviews talking about like these games are like three or four years and I'm old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's the thing, Like I look at Destreating two compared to the first one, and make no mistake, I think as like this game gets so much more fun, so much sooner than the first game. Yeah, but the first game is such a weird, unyieldy beast with such weird friction against the player, and like, I hate it, but I also love it. And then you're not wrong.
Speaker 4: And that is what pushed me away from the first one to begin with, is it is like going against the player and like I hated falling down Like in the first one, I was doing so much more falling down and I fucking went across the river.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Now I'm watching all of my shit go down the river and it's infuriating but also interesting. This one is way more of just a video game, for sure, and I think that's why there wasn't that friction with me this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I don't. I like, It's like, I love that you can get a coffin to surf on tar with and stuff, and it's like, but then you accidentally kill someone and you're like, well, fuck going by the first game is logic, and by the logic of this world, I now have to wit find an incinerator to avoid avoid out, so I assumed I would have to bring them back to like the Magellan at the least. It's like, no, the coffin can actually just go down to the ground, great quality of life thing. But I kind of would have preferred the long journey to avoid this thing. And again that's just my taste in games. Like I love fucking State of the K two. I love that shit that like is Dragon's Dogma two. I love the stuff that's a pain, but it was a good story, So it's just I don't know. I play this game, and it almost feels like, and I'm this is very unfair. I don't fucking know the guy. I think I've met him once and we talked about Metal Grosel three. It just feels like Kojima and Kojuma Productions they cared about this game a little bit less than the first one. And again that right, right, that's my point. It's like the first one, it's like they had this like it's like it's almost like a debut work in a way. The first one it's like this thing, like you could tell that was percolating their brains forever and they finally got it out. They're like, we don't care. And then you see those stories before two came out, it's like Kochimo's disappointed that it wasn't that divisive. I'm like, oh my god, fucking grow up, dude. Oh people like your game. Then it came out, I'm like, I kind of actually might have seen what he's saying. It's like, it really is kind of triple a ass video game design. Sure, there is a fucking skateboarding coffin that can dip into ink to to dispose of potentially time bomb explosive bodies. You say, a lot of this stuff out loud. You're like, this is a really unique game, but you look at it like a storyboard on a storyboard. It's actually it's actually a pretty generic Triple A game so far. I'm only twelve I'm only twelve hours in. I want to go and I want to play more.
Speaker 4: To be clear, so you're saying, like, let's say, okay, all the like it's a wire framed out so you know, none of the visual stuff or whatever. It's if you're talking about what you are doing moment to moment in this game. Take out the cut scenes. Like I see what you're saying.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 1: I don't mean it's an it's alt like I think there's a like I just it feels like I don't know if Sony said, like, hey, make it a bit more palatable so we can get another ten million players, or like they're like, hey, I liked that first game, let's build on it in a way that brings more people in. I don't know, Like the first game just almost felt like a I don't I don't care what you think, and like that's it's funny because lately I don't want those kind of games that do have that friction. I want the fun game. That's why I'm enjoying Death Stranding too. But it does it's so different than the first game.
Speaker 4: I'm not necessarily going to disagree with anything you said and in fact talking about like the uh you brought up, like you know, immersive gameplay and comparing to other open world games, it's not like I don't think it's that amazing in terms of like immersive or emergent sorry, emergent gameplay where it's like, you know, I when I think of that, I think of breadth the wild, you know, I think a Tiers of the Kingdom where it's like I wonder if I could do this.
Speaker 1: And this and that.
Speaker 4: Fuck, oh wow, that works so crazy. Like there's so many like telling your own stories through your actions in the open world. There isn't that much of it in Death Straining too, Like there are a lot of like very funny like oh, I'm wearing this VTuber hat and now Sam only says peco and you know, there's there's a lot of quirks, but as far as the moment to moment what you're doing, you're right, Like when you are going to a base, like I'm typically building a watch tower, I'm tagging guys. Yeah, almost like a far cry and I'm sneaking in my self fails and I shoot everyone. Like yeah, I could actually, I could totally see that it doesn't have like there are interesting physics and interactions, but it's nowhere near on the level of like, you know, a breath the wild. I don't think it's trying to do that. I think what makes the Stranding stand apart is is, for lack of a better term, like just that Kajema factor where it's like that guy has an eye for just style. Where it's like every fucking time I'm approaching a new you know, terminal or whatever you want to call it, or station and it you know, pans out and it's playing whatever's on kajamas Spotify playlist, and it's just like there's really nothing like.
Speaker 1: That, you know.
Speaker 4: Like it makes me feel a way that like I have not played games that are like this where I feel like it is just so that game is dripping with one person's creative vision, you know. But you are right, it is more palatable in the sense that like, yeah, you're just getting a bunch of cool guns and stuff, and like even the like delivering stuff, which was the kind of hurdle people had to get over in the first one. It's not bad in this one. You're most of my times like on highways. It's you know, like I'll build my zip line network. It's totally fine. They even like introduce stuff like the monorail system and stuff to make it easier to move like large amounts of stuff, and I never really engaged with that. But the actual delivery aspect of the game, while still there, is not nearly as like in your face butting up against you as as it intentionally was in the first game. And so you're right, it is. It is a game that like you can load up and like people ask me if, like do I have to play the first game, and like not, really, it does feel like the first one to your point, Mike, is like that's the one where they had a bunch of crazy ass ideas and their whole like idea of the world and establishing what Kyrillium is and the beach and just you know, what these extinction events are like that was very heavy on explaining like what the fuck is this, what's the crypto bio, what's this thing? And now all that stuff's established, and now it's like, all right, you're in that weird world. Here's some guns, go have fun. Here's a coffin board. And I think, I like, I think this was the right mix of that.
Speaker 1: It's more balanced, like I don't want to say objectively, but it's it's to me, it's it's almost objectively more balanced. But I love the moments where you're you're creeping through areas infested by BT's like watchers. That was terrifying. I love that because that's unique. I will say, like doll Man's amazing. But the mechanic they introduce where you could throw him in the air and scout, that's that's Assassin's creed throw it. That's the eagle in the air scouting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a lot cooler than the eagle.
Speaker 1: I know he is, for sure.
Speaker 4: Eagle will fucking give you like little therapy sessions in the private bunk.
Speaker 1: And I love the blinking on this the entire screen of your TV. It's good.
Speaker 4: And then every time you pull them back, he's so desperate. Did I do a good job, Sam? Oh you did great, buddy, you did great.
Speaker 1: Zooming back to he's like stick a fork in me. Sam, I don't even know what the fuck that means. I just love that he says that. Okay, but but yeah, I I but that kind of speaks to my point. It's almost like a it feels like, you know what, I'm reminded of often when I'm playing this game, and this was kind of the case of the first game, but especially this one. It's the Gremlins to Key and Peel Sketch where they're in. It's like, what if you have a doll you throw in the air and he's basically the Eagle from Assassin's Creed but he blinks and says really like witty ship. But then he like scans out of me for you. Yes, yes, I love it. Yes, It's like what if you skateboard on a coffin like a hoverboard, and then you can we bring the Fourth Wall and hould Cocain's there? What Crimlins? I thought he was.
Speaker 3: That's actually a funny mini game, Grimlins to Death Stranding.
Speaker 1: Oh remind me. During the email section I did, just a lot of people wrote in about the game. I was trying to remember, uh, indivisible. It was indivisible, yeah, yeah, And I looked it up when I saw that, and I was like, oh, yeah, yeah, but that would be a fun quiz if someone can do a quiz that's death straining too or Gremlins two.
Speaker 4: I mean every Grimlins one is just like, uh, there's an electro Gremlin Like, it's just like, yeah, it's all just weird Grimlin gimmicks. I know, yeah, it's it's that's pretty easy. It'd be very easy for me. These are only the two things I know the most about our Kajima and Grimlin.
Speaker 1: Someone needs to do, Mary, and I don't even need to be involved with a quiz. Someone create a quiz that's deastrating to our Gremlins, Sue, and we'll give Dan the quiz and see what he scores. Ten questions, ten one question.
Speaker 4: I'm curious, Mary, Like I remember that the whole deastranding director's cut your game of your debate thing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: What I am curious now is like, is there is there any curiosity about two? And you know, if if not, you know, what is it that that butts up against you? Uh so much. I don't really know where you're at with wanting to play.
Speaker 1: It or not.
Speaker 2: I think I think there's interest.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think especially if it's going to be, you know, something we discuss it at Gody. I need to write just like you would play uh a JRPG, because like we need to be on the same page about these things. I think something that makes me feel a little apprehensive about it. It might I'm trying to like avoid it just being like a counterculture thing, but I just think so many people are like it's so crazy, and it's just like the things that you're saying, they do sound crazy, but I don't really know if they're meaningful outside of like making you laugh.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, that's what I've been trying to say. In a lot of ways, it does. Yes, it feels like it's just, oh, one of those funny things you talk about what you just did and you're like, oh, it's funny, But like did it serve a purpose?
Speaker 2: Like why why do you go through all of this?
Speaker 3: Like Dan, when you were describing it the very first time you played it, you were like, it's so awesome on your birthday. There's this whole cot scene with like characters and they're singing and happy birthday, and I was like, cool, but it's a game good, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean?
Speaker 3: And so I was like I kind of feel like you're getting lost and all these you know, fun things that are.
Speaker 2: So funny, and like I couldn't I couldn't believe how funny that was. But I was like, okay, but where is the game?
Speaker 3: Like the game is so convoluted, and you guys have like even my trying to describe the good components.
Speaker 2: It is really messy because there's so much.
Speaker 3: Rapper of Like that's a really funny cut scene that probably cost them a lot of money and they wasted like a little much time went into that.
Speaker 2: But it's like, okay, but again, what is the fucking game?
Speaker 1: Like I think where's the direction? That's I don't know.
Speaker 4: I get that because, like you know, it's interesting because, like I one of the reasons I hate like family guy is because I hate like random for random's sake, I'm going somewhere like I hate like also random humor. It's like just being random isn't funny, you know? And there was I saw a mutual friend recently and I was talking about this game. This is a private conversation. That's why I'm not naming them.
Speaker 1: But one of barb Schols like what you don't okay, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I just say it was a private conversation, but like I showed him a clip of like, let me show you a ten second clip from the end of this game, and it does some like really out there stuff that I could not have possibly predicted, and his reaction surprised me. And then he was like, yeah, but doesn't this kind of feel like Kajima just kind of like getting off. I'm just being like, whoa so random.
Speaker 1: So wacky Kajima.
Speaker 4: And then I thought about it and I was like about the scene in particular I was talking about, which for those I alluded to this on the Giant bomb thing, it was a James Brown reminiscent thing, and it really popped me where I was like, Wow, this is getting weird. And he was like, isn't that just Kajima just like getting off. I'm just being weird for weird sake or whatever. And it's like like like he's into this whole idea of Kajima being so wacky and random and stuff like fuck, wait, I do hate that stuff like random for random, weird for weird, you know that type of stuff, And it's like, what is it about Kajima, where I am like tickled me.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because you.
Speaker 2: Went to his cool, little stupid house and you got to meet him and like, you know and stuff a bunch.
Speaker 4: I've hung out with them like four.
Speaker 2: Times, but he never gave a ship who you were.
Speaker 3: And now all of a little handshake.
Speaker 4: Tan's got that Kii virus. He's just I was sitting next to him during that event a Kajima Productions.
Speaker 2: Dan, you bring it up all the time.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask you about that off Mike. I'm so curious what Jeff Keeley is like when the UI and his game isn't working.
Speaker 4: Hey, dude loves metal gear, Dude loves Kajima. We can talk for sure.
Speaker 3: What's it like sniffing Kiey and Coajima's farts in the same room?
Speaker 1: Hey, Dale, I threw the doll and nothing's happening.
Speaker 4: Look, he was encountering a glitch. He was right to call someone over and be like, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: Dale? What the fuck? Why am I listening to talking heads right now? I'm trying to play a video game. That's a pretty good impression.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: What do you think? He calls? Hey? Hid? Hey?
Speaker 2: Hid?
Speaker 1: What button. Do I press the throw a suitcaseat on my who's trying to stab me with a spear?
Speaker 4: Hid Yeah, Like at the end of the day, maybe I'm just a mark like Foragma.
Speaker 1: But but then again, it's like.
Speaker 4: But I fucking hated Deak, Like if that were the case, Like when I get the term mark wrestling term, it's one that's just like, oh, my favorites can do no wrong.
Speaker 1: I can just like blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: I fucking hated Death Stranding when it came out, So I think that shows that, like even if it's Kajima, my fucking favorite game creator ever, he can make something that I don't like and I will go out there and be like, I fucking hate this and I did legitimately come around on it, and I do legitimately love this game, so like I do think I will give him shit when I think it's warranted, but I also genuinely do love this game, So I don't know, like I don't feel like I'm like, you know, running interference for Kajima or whatever if I didn't like it, like, and that's why it's like any like Mike, all your complaints that you're saying I think are totally valid, and also a lot of the story is nonsense.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, I mean the first game story that was not as well. It's just yeah, that Death Randing one. For whatever reason, I played Directors Cut and I'm like, all right, I loved a lot. Like most Metal Gear Solids, Metal Your Slid three is one of my favorite games ever. I despite all the mechanical issues I've always had with Coojima's games, I grew up a Nintendo person. I never really even for PlayStation standards. His control schemes just trying to be different for different sake, almost. I don't know if it was a generational divide or a regional divide or whatever. Death Stranding one. When I replayed, I'm like, all right, I kind of finally get why he's kind of lauded like this. Now I'm playing two, and I'm like, it feels like he's almost like stooped down to like triple A game design at this point. And yeah, and like.
Speaker 4: I still think it's more interesting than that. It is more interesting than if they did a far Crist seven. You know, it's like there's so much style to it still that like, but.
Speaker 3: That's not the bar is better than I'm gonna I'm gonna piss you off right now.
Speaker 1: I don't fully believe this, but I'm going to piss you off. I was talking to a friend the other day and he also has been playing it, and he's like, he's like, so, yeah, it was made with the in concert with the Horizon engine. So he's like, it makes sense that it feels like a Horizon game. And he said that, and I thought about it, and I'm like, he's not that wrong.
Speaker 4: I mean, but I have thought about that a lot while playing it, because it is on that same Deciment engine, and I yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What differentiates it is I just like Horizon to me just feels like a game with every weird or controversial edge sanded all the way off of it. So like when you talk about that like open World Park right type thing, I kind of I feel that way about Horizon. Like on every level.
Speaker 1: You're climbing over of sources to unlock the map.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but it's it's it's gorgeous and the action is good and like like it is like there are so many like top of their craft people working on Horizon, but it just feels so sanded down creatively where I think I really do respect people making swings, and I do think this story and these characters and the like, I think there are still swings here. I don't think it's the safe thing. You might be painting it as you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, sure, main protagonist be a dude shot a baby.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, God, the fucking there's so many gripes. I mean I had a lot of gripes with the script from the first game. And I say script as opposed to again, I like the storytelling when the bird stuff, but like, yeah, that fucking two story, Like why does Sam not care about this or that? Why did like all of a sudden, there's no guilt in like Fragile doesn't feel any guilt for this thing that happened. But like, yes, I was thinking. I was like, you know what, Like, structurally, it's not that different from a Horizon game. But I was like, yeah, but you're doing a lot of cool stuff, Like a lot of the minutia is very zany and weird and bizarre. He's like, yeah, but it's like by the end of Forbidden West, you're flying around on a robotic pterodactyl. That's pretty like when you say it out loud, it's cool, even if the entire game does. There's something about like now I once he said that, I couldn't stop thinking about it the last like five hours I played. I'm like, there's something hollow at the center of both of these games. And I still Horizon and Yes, and I like, that's Treading two more than Horizon. To be clear, there is something, yes, to your point, very generic about Horizon, even if it is gorgeous. Death Training two one of the best looking games I've ever played my life. The opening shot when you're on those ridges and East Solitary in Mexico. I don't look for photorealism in my games. That I could not have told you that was not real, Like when it comes down the ridges and all of a sudden you're balancing on the ridge and like was it wood Kid the music was playing or whatever. I love that shit, that's what I love. I absolutely love for that ship. And like even at this point in the game now as I'm approaching a base, like and I'm climbing up a hill, I want like Kate Bush to be playing, but then it's the slow, somber song like this is what I love. I this is not something Horizon would ever do. But there is I can't I can't quite yet put my finger on it. But there is something hollow at the center of this game, whereas like Death Streading one was the opposite, where I'm like, I feel like there's something here that I can't quite break through to. And for whatever reason, directors cut when it came out. I just again, maybe I had more patience because we weren't fucking doing anything and it was COVID.
Speaker 4: I think I think that's what the deal was with director's cut. It was only time. There was no thing that the director's cut introduced and maded and that much of a better game. It was just time and expectation were different. I think that's why so many people came around with that.
Speaker 1: It's like it's two. It's like I'm knocking on this game trying to get to the center of it. It feels hollowers one, it's like it's repelling me. But I know there's something there. I don't know. And again I'm one, how long can this game be? Seventy eighty hours not tay fifty to sixty Okay, I'm one fifth at best of the way through this game. So like I want I keep playing. I'm having fun, but it's more of a fun that I remember having with like the Ubisoft games the World.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again I'm not I don't think I'm disagreeing with anything you're saying. I think it's just, you know, your mileage may vary where it's like the Kajima factor goes very far with me, and it feels there's a lot of Kajima all over this game, especially like in the last that's the last few hours. I granted, I was loving the game all the way up, but then the last few hours is just the most Kajima shit I've ever seen in a video game, more than middle.
Speaker 1: Of your seaking the President. On top of.
Speaker 4: More than that, it is like, Wow, this guy is just fully unshackled here, and I think I think that will be off putting to some. I think it will be seen as like just very indulgent, but I just kind of really like his sensibilities and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's I I I get while you're loving this game, like, there's a lot of fun to be had, there's a lot of there's a lot of batshit stuff that's going on. There's a lot of cool stuff like being able to remotely access watch towers is awesome if it's like as around Kiral network and it makes you think like there's certain bases where if you sprint in one direction too far, you literally leave the chiral network and you're like, oh shit, that's a tactical consideration.
Speaker 4: I love you can't use the coffin board outside.
Speaker 1: I love that's the kind of stuff where it's like, that is the systemic stuff you don't see in a horizon or a far cry. I love that. But anyway, Mary, I I think we're done. Sorry, Mary, Mary, this game is way more doing in the first game. If you're interested in trying to do this out, it's way more dewey than there's some talkie. But honestly, compared to the first game, it's fucking nothing. It's a lot of dewey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Mary, I uh, if it helped, I don't think I will be doing like I love this game dearly, I don't think I will be making any Uh what's the word for flipper gusting? What's the Philip Burton? What's the Philip Burtons?
Speaker 1: Sounds like the oil company in like Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: I won't be doing any butter fingering.
Speaker 4: I think it will probably be in my top three of the year, certainly, but uh, don't worry about me pushing extremely hard for this beginning.
Speaker 1: Do we all have to share number one? So far?
Speaker 4: Without I mean, I'll tell you my three. I'll tell you right now. You know we've done the mid year stuff.
Speaker 3: You know it's too early for this.
Speaker 4: It's in no particular order. Desk Strending two, Expedition thirty three, and Blueprints I share. Okay, those are those are my front runners right now. But we're a week away from Bonanza and I'm gonna be going nuts on Bonanza.
Speaker 1: And we got some stuff coming out in the fall. Mm hmm, yeah, all right, Sorry, Mary, what have you been playing lately? We got to pass the backs now past so continue? No, we didn't. I can call my mom.
Speaker 4: What do you want.
Speaker 2: Trying to be an ally?
Speaker 1: I can go wake my wife up into the room.
Speaker 2: Stop bringing your wives it.
Speaker 1: I have three female cats.
Speaker 3: Your love for your Oh, I know, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Dan's a dude.
Speaker 4: I've been playing ship Ink.
Speaker 3: It's like an Amazon based game where you pack stuff in a shipping plant.
Speaker 4: Is it Amazon branded?
Speaker 3: No, It's just like I assume that's probably what it's like to work there, like you orders, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I do. I ship orders.
Speaker 3: My god, let's talk about death stranding somewhere in ship Ink you it's an ally. Stop trying to be an ally. You're not allowed to be an ally by saying you're an eye, interrupting me to tell me anxiety is an ally.
Speaker 4: It's actually different, but.
Speaker 1: Is my favorite Quentin Tarantino movie.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I like the substance in ship Ink You.
Speaker 1: Jamie Lee Curtis is aging like a fine wine. Carl Zenya on the top. Oh I I I sighed during our James Bond marathon recently. Many times.
Speaker 4: You disapproved of scenes in The Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew enough to know this was wrong.
Speaker 1: Hey buster, Hey whoa. We don't let that word fly in modern New York. Buddy boy, Hey whoa? You lay out? You get your goddamn hands off her. And I turned around and looked at my wife, and I flexed, and then we boom.
Speaker 4: Mike, let Marry toss.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I hate this podcast. Ship Ink is a simulation packaging plant.
Speaker 2: So you work at a pack plant.
Speaker 3: And you print out orders and then you get all the stuff like maybe sweaters or vases or mugs or whatever. And sometimes the items are broken, you double click on them to fix them.
Speaker 2: They're just like silly little mini games.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like one of those thoughtless sim games where you can play it after like a long day of work and you don't want to be stressed out or think too much, or you can play it while you're like watching TV on.
Speaker 1: Your steam deck.
Speaker 3: So steam deck friendly, although I will say it's much easier on mouse and keyboard because it's because you're unpacking and you have to like cut open the boxes.
Speaker 4: And you say that I've been thinking about Unpacking, Like is it anything at all like the game Unpacking?
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's less story environmental storytelling, which I think was what everybody loved about on the back.
Speaker 2: This doesn't have any of that.
Speaker 3: It's more of the fact that your simulation of doing all the things you need to do to pack a box appropriately, including if it's got fragile things in it, you need to bubble wrap it, you need to put a fragile stickler on it. You just need to make sure that everything's accurate or you lose money. And then at the end of the day. With the money that you have, you can invest in lots of different things. You obviously you need to buy your own shipping equipment, which makes it a lot more annoying if you accidentally use the wrong sticker or the wrong size box, because you're paying for that. It's coming out of your paycheck when you make a mistake. But if you do everything right, you get like maybe like seven hundred dollars. You can put it in the bank, which your crew's interest. You can take it to a law firm, and then UA you can invest in yourself. So in the law firm you can do things like it'll be one thousand dollars, but you get ten sent more for fast orders, and so it's like okay, if I do that, I'll make the money back within like three or four working days, so that's.
Speaker 2: Like a good investment.
Speaker 3: You can buy like different colored shipping equipment, which isn't like super exciting or anything like. This is a pretty mundane sim game that's meant to help you like pastime in a casual way, and I think it does a totally fine job of that. I did buy this in the Steam Summer sale, which I think is important context to add because Steam Summer Sale, like all of us were kind of like, yes, I would like to spend a little bit of money. This game is like I think it's five dollars and it was on sale, So I spent two dollars on this game and it was just like a delightful game for two bucks.
Speaker 2: Honest.
Speaker 4: The packing part of it, is there any kind of that like tetris Ari four suitcase like satisfaction of just like packing everything in as tight as possible.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have to rotate everything properly and you can't overlap too many things at once, so and you again you have to like make the right decision. It'll print out and it'll be like this person wants two pairs of pants, a uh water bottle, and some keys, and it's like can I fit that into a medium box or do I have to pay for the large box? And if you're wrong, now you now you've just wasted a box.
Speaker 4: So that that sounds satisfying because I've moved so many times and like the amount of times I had a box and like there has to be a fucking way to get everything in here, Like it is tremendously satisfying to figure out the configuration, They're like, oh, yeah, that works out.
Speaker 1: Dreads had that too in the cargo.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Like this is such a stupid conversation compared to chanting.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm the fucking yellow taxi go room guy.
Speaker 4: After Mike talks about life and philosophy for forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Ship Ink is just about how we all compartmentalize and pack certain emotions and feelings and traumas into their own little compartments.
Speaker 4: I mean, isn't stranding just a ship ink game?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: It comes down in many ways. We both played ship Ink.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, ship Ink is like the prequel, and then you pass the crates to Sam, yeah, and he brings them to the next facility.
Speaker 3: There's there's like no cut scenes that you know, where you like shoot babies or like walk on the moon or you know, like anything really extravagant happens. But at the end of your work day, if there's extra stuff that you didn't pack, you can steal.
Speaker 2: It, which I thought was kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: I feel like it doesn't fit the vibe of the world, which is extremely wholesome and like you'll see, but you can steal, and then after you steal, there's like a guy that hangs out by a dumpster and he kind of looks like a rough rabble rouser, and then you sell stuff to him for like under the table, and nothing bad has happened to me yet, but I always found that odd that I could do that.
Speaker 2: And then at the end of.
Speaker 3: The day, you have to pay bills, like you know, getting your nails done or paying your dog food. The only way you can lose this game is if you don't pay three of your bills in a row. If you don't pay your bills on time, you essentially lose the game. So you have to be good enough at the game at least to to to pack all your stuff and and and keep your shit together. One of the things you can do with the law Firm is you can get a divorce and then anytime there's like a spousal support, you don't have to pay it, which I think is also very dark. There's like something happened with these developers. They were like, wait, let's let them steal too, and they just left it. And I don't know why they put it in there, but they did.
Speaker 1: The creative director, Jim comes in on a Wednesday, clearly hungover. He's like, all right, I got the main character's wife is a fucking idiot bitch, and we need to figure out a way to for like, uh, figure out how to put some like divorce mechanics in the game. Sometimes I just like to think what my life would have been like years ago if I didn't propose to Karen at Disneyland. And we're gonna call the game. It takes two and the kid's gonna be all morose and you have to kill its stuff to animal. Yeah, it'll learn something.
Speaker 2: It's there's like a couple weird jarring things in it, but.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I find it, especially for the two dollars I paid for it. Most of the games that I bought during the Steam Summer Sale are like cozy easy games that you can play on a Steam deck. Easy pickins for a game that just recently came out, So that's Ship Inc.
Speaker 2: The next one I'll throw out.
Speaker 3: I also bought at the Steam Summer Sale, which was Two Point Museum. I've actually never played a two point game before, so you'll have to take this with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: When other people are like huge.
Speaker 3: Two point fans and they they've apparently accrued like this mass following of these silly little I think they're also sim games where you, like you know, you operate a theme park or hospital.
Speaker 1: Prison.
Speaker 3: Yes, two point prison I think was popular. This is two point museum, so you are a museum curator.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: I again also got this on SAE, also just adding that context in there, because I was like, this is.
Speaker 2: A good deal you. I love a bargoon. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: Games are expensive and I.
Speaker 1: I can't take either of you. I saw you Mike Dan just spilled wine, but like you went to like lick the lid to keep the trickle over going down. And then I hear Mary say, I love a bargoon. Why am I spending time talking to you guys every week? Is above us?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I love a bargoon.
Speaker 4: I've never poured wine without having to like the bottle immediately afterwards.
Speaker 1: What do you well, there's a big draft that goes down every time.
Speaker 4: Physically, there's not a way to do it otherwise, it's not true. I didn't go to small a school like some of us.
Speaker 1: No, it's still trickle. Sorry, Mary, you love a bargoon.
Speaker 3: So that my first point you start the museum, you send people off on expeditions. It's fun because they all have like really stupid names like Ron Philangy and like, you know, Regina Goon.
Speaker 2: Struggle, really really struggle.
Speaker 4: All these games seem aggressively British.
Speaker 1: Could I could I could like, yeah, I don't know, I could feel like I could like hook up with Regina Goon and my wife would forgive me because it's the COO.
Speaker 2: And the game is silly.
Speaker 3: The game is like filled with British humor and like silly humor throughout for example, for whatever reason. So obviously you're just selling tickets to your museum. You're filling it with old stuff that you find on your digs, and you're decorating your museum, and people come and visit you, and you can actually click on each person that comes and learn about their stories and their histories and what makes them excited to be in the museum. And some of the people that visit are yeties, Like they actually have yeties that come into your museum, and they have little children that run around little yeties and you can learn about them. So the game doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's meant to be kind of a little bit of a it's playful and silly. When you go on these expeditions, they'll give you like maybe one third or one fourth of a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Skeleton, so you got to go back on the same expedition.
Speaker 3: There is a risk that your people will get injured or take away too long, or not bring back the right bones. But once they do and you complete a skeleton, everybody in the museum gets super hype and all these people come to come to your giant t rex skeleton, which I think is fun. I got kind of into it then, and I was like not prepared for this at all. I was doing really well, and I thought my museum was like actually taking off. I had like five fully constructed skeletons that I thought were awesome, and I was like this game, it was great. And they were like, cool, you've earned yourself. Museum number two, let's start it. And I was like what, Like, I'm but I'm already doing a museum, and they were like, no, we're gonna do this one. It's a haunted museum. You need you need to like have ghosts in it, and I was like what. And everything about the second museum is like a farce and fake. Uh, it was it completely lost all sense of reality. I was instead of curating bones and scavenging like animal remains and fossils for my museum, it's it's like dolls and haunted phone booths and go like actual ghosts and you have to make the ghosts happy with the right furniture in order to like keep your museum open.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I'm out. So I don't like the haunted.
Speaker 3: Museum, but I like the uh. I like the one where you like dig up animal bones.
Speaker 4: I feel like those are like the right level of like city Builder type stuff I would want, like I've seen enough of those games and be like, I don't want to go like super in deep on like tax raids and all this stuff. I just want to like build some fun stuff, see some silly characters and stuff like. I've always been curious about the Two point series.
Speaker 2: I was surprised.
Speaker 3: It is fairly intricate, and there's so many different things you can do. You can promote people, you can fire them, you can give them education. I was educating a lot of my people to be like smarter, faster, kinder. There's one you can do that just makes their thoughts happier. So if you have like a really depressed employee, you can be like, I'm gonna go teach you how to be happier ten percent more. And then they come back and they're like, I don't hate myself anymore, and that's great, Like good for you.
Speaker 2: I'm a good manager.
Speaker 3: You design all sorts of like decorations for the environment. And I even constructed like a playhouse that was like a dinosaur, and kids.
Speaker 2: Like went into like the butt of.
Speaker 3: The dinosaur because it's a toy and like play around in its stomach and then they slide down its tongue as a slide, And I was like, that's so fun. So I liked that part of it, but I didn't like the haunted one.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't even understand how that made sense to me. It's so funny because like obviously there was.
Speaker 3: To be silly and whimsical, so like I don't want to take it too seriously. But at some point when I was like trying to appease ghosts to be happy in my museum, I was like, no.
Speaker 2: You've lost me.
Speaker 4: Does it feel like if you had gone forward with that it would just be like other gimmick ones where it's like here's the Caveman Hospital, here's the you know, ninjas.
Speaker 3: I guess it was just getting sillier and sillier, and I thought maybe it was going to be to a degree, a little bit more realistic. When I was younger, I remember playing ah a sim game where I constructed a dinosaur park, you know, like Jurassic Park, and I was the one doing it, and I had to make sure that the fences were high enough with the t Rex or they escape and they eat all your patrons.
Speaker 2: And I was like, this is so sick.
Speaker 3: And it was like fun because it was obviously fantasy, but it was embedded in reality, like there was a there was a reality to it that you could actually believe that you could put a t Rex in your park, and there's a reality to this, you know, to this museum that I was like, oh no, I could actually send people on expeditions and like put these bones and decorate the rooms and people will pay me money to do it. There's no reality in which like I'm actually like appeasing ghosts and making people come to take photos of them in a room. So it just didn't I like got lost on that style of museum I wonder if I'm alone on that, but I did like the original museum, so yeah, so I played a shipping sim and a two point museum sim. Nice, thank you steam Deck.
Speaker 1: I want to get back to City Skylines two since they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that had a rough out of the gate. It was kind of rough, and yeah, I am curious who because like, I played enough of one to be excited for two, and then I was like, wait a minute, this seems really like scaled back and kind of buggy and stuff. So that was a year or two years ago. Now that two came out, So yeah, I wonder where that's at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I like the first one. You could be trying to build a self sustaining, beautiful, great education, et cetera city, But then you could also at a certain point vier into like, oh, every single person who lives here is Fomka Johnson. And I like that flexibility because I want to try to do that in the second game as well. But I like that. The only game I played like those recently is frost Punk, and that's like the most bleak interpretation of that kind of game ever.
Speaker 4: I tried that. That's bleak is the word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mary, did you get a switch to you're playing Mario Kart.
Speaker 3: I did get a switch to. I played Mario Kart's Open World section. I also played through all of the Grand Prix and stuff Grand Prix just because you should, right, So I've played through every I've at least tried every hard level Grand Prix, you know, ace them all at number one throughout the board. But I kind of get bored playing that solo. And you know, I have lots of friends, but I wanted to play the open world.
Speaker 2: I wanted to play the open world.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, they have to be cool, and I actually thought the open world was really interesting. I there are these power ups throughout the open world that are super fun that if you hit them, it gives you a challenge, like go through all these rings within a certain amount of time.
Speaker 2: The peace switch missions, the peace switches. Yeah, I find those really fun.
Speaker 3: And I was enjoying doing those and just making sure because they're actually some of them are difficult, and some of them I had to like do like ten or fifteen times in order to get through them. But what I recognize is that each of them was actually teaching me a good skill that would be very beneficial for when I do have friends, and so I think that was like a nice bonus, was I was like learning skills. But in this like nice fun open world game, there's so many secrets in the open world too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it takes a bit of exploring too, because like I haven't done a ton of open world I've done a lot of Grand Prixs and like online Knockout Tour and all that stuff. But like I've done maybe an hour of just like driving around and maybe found like five piece switch missions, and it seems like there's a lot. I don't know what the number is, and you're not necessarily like you don't like stickers and things like that, there's hundreds.
Speaker 2: I found so many. I did it for like eight hours, and I did drive around.
Speaker 3: That's all I did was drive around and do pee Where have you been calling them? I've just been calling them switch missions. I've been calling them pee blocks, I think or something. Yeah, But they're they're fun and there's like a good challenge in them. So I've been doing them for a really long time. I've also been switching like the controller back and forth, and we would like play with another person and they would like try and beat my score, right and so there is like a competitive nature to it, but we're passing the steam jack back and forth, which I think is fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think with that stuff, I have felt no real rush because I based on every other Mario card. I'm just gonna be playing this game for like the next eight to ten years until I make another one, and so I will have plenty of time between races to kind of drive around. So I haven't had like a lot of dedicated open world time, but it makes me happy to see, Like when I do go over the map, it's like, oh shit, there are like six Luigi costumes I don't have, and if I have her over this track, there's like a bunch of question mark blocks I haven't found. So like, I like the idea there just being something in the background for me to do for however long. Like again, I'm gonna keep playing this game, that stuff will always be in the background. So it is fun. Like the mechanics where it's like we're gonna teach you how to like wall ride and bounce between one wall ride to the next wall ride to get the peace Witch mission or whatever. So I'm sure there's some clever ones there. I still need to see a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a very I did it have? Did any other correct me if I'm wrong? Did any other open car Mario Kart have an open world like this where you could just This felt like really shocking to me that they did this, And it's also all of.
Speaker 2: The different.
Speaker 3: Tracks stitched together, which is also like shocking, Like if you just keep driving, you'll be like, oh, I'm clearly on the main track that you know you start your Grand Prix on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're the toad Factory now, and now we're in like you know, the suburbs of toad Factory or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they've stitched them all into like one large open world. It feels a little unfinished, like there's some strange decisions that were made in it. I still find it odd how much you can like easily get like power ups and speed bump speed power ups and stuff like that. But there's no reason to go fast when you're just in the open world, So it feels unnecessary that there's that many power ups and like ways to boost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting inside a semi truck and it's boosting and stuff is like, well, I'm not in a race like those semi tracks don't show up during a Grand Prix.
Speaker 3: There's no reason to go fast unless you're you've done one of those power ups, and then you need to go fast because the game has told you to go fast for very specific section, but for everything else you're actually looking for secrets, which means you shouldn't be going too fast because you might miss them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've seen people complain about the open world stuff feeling empty, which I get it.
Speaker 3: There's not like a tone, there's no purpose, there's no purpose to running around in there.
Speaker 4: No, But like, I don't think I expected that much from it. I think it's a cool gimmick, but I didn't really see it as much more than that. We're like, oh, okay in the lobby instead of staring at a bunch of knees standing on the globe, I can like kind of drive around and fuck around like driving as far as that goes. Yeah, I'm happy with that. I don't think I was expecting more than that.
Speaker 3: Really, I agree, And I also think just if I can also say like similarly to like when Disney makes a sequel and everyone's like, well, I don't like that, that's not like what I remember, and it's like, well, it's not for you anymore. I think there is an element to Mario Kart that isn't really for us anymore, these like experienced gamers that are like I need to like collect it all. It's actually for the whimsies of a child, and a kid would absolutely adore riding around casually in this open world, collecting things and being really powerful. And I could absolutely see giving this to like one of my young nieces and seeing like how delight delighted they would be just driving around endlessly and having fun.
Speaker 4: Oh if I was seven and this came out, I would have that entire continent mapped out, like I would know every latitude and longitude to that place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think it's successful in that way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I've enjoyed it x It has been.
Speaker 3: I add it to three out of my four cozy games that I've been playing in the last two weeks, because it's like, there ain't nothing more cozy than just driving around aimlessly, like looking for secrets and doing like little short stint puzzles when you feel like it.
Speaker 1: Totally. Speaking of Wall Driving, Dan, you've been playing Tony Hawk's pro Skater three and four.
Speaker 4: What remax yeah, yeah, three and four are remix Are you two Tony Hawk people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like die Hard, but I appreciate them and enjoy them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mary, I think that's also my alley.
Speaker 3: I mean I grew up with them as well, but I was never like a die hard, but gosh, I mean the tracks, like the musical tracks were always so important to me growing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 4: There are there's maybe it's just because I'm older, but like some people's gotten Bit by the Bug really hard, and Tony Hawk is like on that top top tier of gaming history and I'm definitely in that category. And so for the Mes and Grubs of the World and Minaudi, it's just like, Okay, this is like this might as well be like Mario sixty four levels of like importance, you know. And I was sell in bank today. I was like, you know, the number one game that if I just hear sounds from it makes my brain just fireworks are going off of my brain.
Speaker 1: It's Tony Hawk.
Speaker 4: That's serious, Like it's just one of the most beautiful feeling games of all time. And so that's why it's like, yeah, they are just remakes. I guess we want to boil it down to that, but to be able to play these games refresh better graphics, you know, on the go with modern consoles and stuff like that, which you know, I've gone back to Tony Hawk Prestcator three a million times. Anytime I get something that can play PS two on it, the first game I try is Tony Hawk three and to have like, oh my god, I'm doing this again, which is fun every fucking time, but it looks better. There's bonus goals, there's like, you know, it doesn't add a ton in terms of just pure content, but I'm never not smiling if I'm playing a Tonyawk game. I'm just fucking thrilled. And people complain about the four stuff because the original release of four had like an open world thing where you walked up to NPCs and except missions and blah blah blah. It was a big controversy with hardcore fans. I don't mind. I actually really liked the two minute thing from one, two, and three, So just boiling four down to the two minute stuff does not bother me at all. Iron Galaxy the new missions like the water park and stuff like it just fantastic. Or new maps they've been great, and another complaint has been the soundtrack, because like, only a handful of tracks are back from three and four, and I think they got the ones that, like, they didn't have Asis Phades, they didn't have Dell, the punky Homo sapien. I would have been like, well, those are like, you know, those are the ones. They have those, And then they have a bunch of like more modern songs that really fit the tone of Tony Hawk, and I'm thrilled. I'm just thrilled playing. I got it on switched to the first night I beat the game and didn't like almost like every goal. I didn't do all the pro goals. But then I was like, ah, it's kind of crashing a lot on the Switch version. So I got it again on PS five and now I'm about to beat it on PS five, Like I will just keep beating this game and playing it over and over and over again and loving it. If you are going to play on Switch, I will give the caveat that if you're playing a handheld and you're not an analog stick pervert, which if you are playing Tony Hawk with an analog stick, you're a pervert. The dpad stuff is not great on the Switch handheld just because it's those four buttons and like that PlayStation dpad is what I want for Tony Hawk. And it did crash, like the first time I played on switch to it crashed like five or six times in one sitting. That's a problem. I'm sure that will get patched out. I'm sure that'll be fine. And it did run well when it was working, so I think that'll be a non su maybe by the time this podcast goes up, but no, I'm probably gonna maine the game on PS five right now. It's fantastic. They nailed the feel of it. They've tried this before, they did the Tony Auks first Getter HD and the feel wasn't right. And anyone who plays Tony Hawk knows immediately if the feel is right. And they have totally nailed the feel. And I love it. I absolutely fucking love it. Tony Hawk's one of the best series of all time.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't go wrong.
Speaker 3: That's so cool, and it's glad that it brings you back like those amazing feelings of nostalgia.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: There's probably nothing better when you do a remake than not messing with the original guts too much. So that people could just enjoy what they loved when they were kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which I'm about to find out with Snake Eater, because that remax coming up and I'm about to start playing it. Probably in an episode or two, I'll be talking about it. And I already went on a trip and played it, and it's like, Okay, you didn't fuck with it. What I've seen, they didn't fuck with it, and like that's the way to do a classic. It's like, don't try to do your own spin on this thing that everyone loves because people are going to fucking push back on that. Just make it look better, make it control better. Like that's that's a great remake grid there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then like Resume will one remake, but also remakes fly in the face of that.
Speaker 2: Those are mostly like quality of life upgrades though right.
Speaker 1: Like no Resume Will one remake is a complex resumele remake is a complete overhaul, and it's those games like the last twenty years.
Speaker 4: But the thing is like our stuff is still like the people who are in charge of are making it, you know, with like Iron Galaxy is not never soft, you know, current Konami is not Kajima. Yeah, so it's like I think, if you were not the people that were in charge of it originally, just be faithful and make it look better and play better. Don't try to do like we got a better idea for snake Eater.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, no, I get that, Uh Mary? What is quickly? Block Blast? Talk about it? Quickly?
Speaker 2: Super quickly block blast? You guys into phone games movie.
Speaker 3: Block Blast is Tetris with a little bit of puzzle and crack.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Like, it's like all three of those things, but instead of doing it fast, you think about your moves and you place them strategically for the highest score.
Speaker 2: It is addictive and I can.
Speaker 3: Play it on a plane while it's taking off on my phone.
Speaker 2: And that's why I got really into it.
Speaker 3: I asked my boss what their kids love the most on the phone, and she was like, everybody's talking about block Blasts, and I was like, bet, And so I downloaded this game and it is It is a modern puzzle Tetris crack and I know we like Tetris, so it's the same mechanics, it's the same pieces.
Speaker 1: D take away.
Speaker 3: I'm telling yeah, Dan, remember.
Speaker 4: No, I don't remember all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, in our next one hundred best games of all time. Block Blast is going to beat Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, so you should probably play this that you can be prepared for the argument block Blast, All right, that's bad for mobile game.
Speaker 1: You guys want to talk about emails? Yeah, the concept?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are they?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about emails.
Speaker 4: Can a pigeons? No audio listeners you're missing? You should go to Patren. Oh boy, this is worth it alone. Oh he's doing tongue stuff. Oh god, look at him.
Speaker 2: Go oh god, technically that's Mary doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 3: Ron Falangie, Regina Goon, Ginaon.
Speaker 1: I love it. It notified Marry that changed the name. But I don't think Dan saw it.
Speaker 4: I see it now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw both of them.
Speaker 3: I just tried to muscle my way through one fucking game without you guys taking it up with all your.
Speaker 1: As you know you're not Yes, I gotta go pee, okay. As always, you can write into Fire's cap pass at gmail dot com with comments, questions, concerns. We'll take all them into account. Thank you to a lot of people who wrote in last episode. I had been talking about a game that I could not for the life of me. Remember, I remember I played it during twenty nineteen or twenty or twenty one. It was very vague, but I gave general mechanical memories about it, and it was in fact indivisible. If you have not played it, look it up. It's very inspired by And this might have thrown some people because I said it was turn based. It's inspired by Valkyrie Profile, which is like half like not quite clear obscure levels, but sort of real time, sort of turn based, sort of Final Fantasy six. So that might have been with threw people off. But it was indivisible. And the reason I could not find it is because I was going through my Steam library game by game, when in fact I owned it in my PlayStation library. I don't do it. But that's Firescape past at gmail dot com. Thank you to everybody who wrote in. I kind of jumped the gun on the beginning of this, Mary, But do you want to read this first one from Alice.
Speaker 3: Hi, Guys, just letting you know that the game Mike is talking about sounds like indivisible to me anyways, since I'm writing in anyway, if you had to turn a music video into a game, what would you choose Alice.
Speaker 2: Thanks Alice.
Speaker 4: Black Hole Sun Sound Garden, Woh what would the game up? It scared the shit out of me as a kid. It's like the spookiest vibe I've ever seen from a music video. If you haven't seen it, it's a lot of like the world is like like the black hole sun, the sun is turning into a black hole, and it's a bunch of people in the suburbs looking up and.
Speaker 2: Like bumpies or something, and they're like into it.
Speaker 4: Like it's a lot of like, oh, ladies doing laundry, and she looks up and sees the world's ending, and like the face contorts like crazy, And it was the face contorting stuff that just fucked me up as a kid. Yeah, oh god, I'm looking at that picture right now, the lady chopping a fish.
Speaker 1: Paper Boy sixty four vibes. Yeah, it's real fucked up. And it was just like the.
Speaker 4: Very dramatically negative apocalypse stuff and then people just like smiling super huge. As a kid, I was like, this is fucking crazy, really scariest, like that tone I would love.
Speaker 1: I really liked the I don't know which one would, but but sorry you have answered like half of it Oh, what was the other part, Well, not really if you had to turn a music video into a game, oh, I guess I was just thinking a horror game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or maybe like a weird open world game where I don't know, the blood moon shows up and everyone freaks the fuck out or something.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the music video for Christopher Walking in Fat.
Speaker 4: Boy Slim's musical yeah, dancing weapon of choice choice.
Speaker 1: Thank You, when he's going up and down that hotel the escalator. I'm trying to think of, like how you could turn that into it. I remember that was like the early not the earliest, but I remember that video game like it was one of those weird things my dad got obsessed with, Like he had come up with Christopher Walking. They're probably the same age, i'd say similar, so like to him to see Christopher walkin doing that and my dad was not super into this. British DJ was very funny to him, so he watched that music video I have to say, twice a week for like a decade. Well that was the thing.
Speaker 4: Is like, at that point, Walking was not a full meme yet, Like now, I feel like Christopher Walking is so memified and everything like that. He was a very respected actor. Hey, people would do impressions of him, for sure, and they do. They're talking and you know all that stuff. But like if there's something around the mid to late nineties where it's like he got the cow Bell sketch, you got the fat Boy Slim video, that's where it's like he became like and like the Internet was becoming a thing. He became kind of this internet darling almost early meme thing, you know. And I think Weapon of Choice is a big part of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess to your point, if he didn't now it'd be like, oh, he's off doing his thing, he's a wacky guy. Yeah, no, no, that's that's a good point. I just remember, I don't know that I've ever loved anything the way my dad loved that music video. And you guys have met my dad brief wife. Well, no anything, not anybody, anybody? Oh okay, I can't Yeah, ar Marines, what.
Speaker 2: Fuck Amanda, he doesn't love you?
Speaker 1: I textenter none of my favorite I'm an ally, I love my wife, she's my favorite. Gangdam style would be a sick I.
Speaker 3: Fucking brought that up, and we were like looking these up ahead of time, just to make sure we had something in our heads. GANDAM Style would be an absolute diabolical video game. It would just probably be like a bunch of stupid mini games like can you walk you know through this like high wind tunnel, you know, without getting.
Speaker 2: Too much garbage on you.
Speaker 3: It would be so funny, likes such a stupid it would remind me of uh not, I think.
Speaker 2: You should leave.
Speaker 3: What's that stupid British game that's cartoon that we all thought was really funny?
Speaker 1: I think yes, yes, yes, it was Fanda.
Speaker 3: I think it would be like that. It would be like stupid shit happening in many micro games.
Speaker 4: Oh, I got one? Okay YouTube are I'm going to feel old here? Green Jello, three little pigs.
Speaker 1: And you know this? You do? Yeah? How do you know that?
Speaker 2: I have to google that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've got it. I've got fucking I'm the youngest of in a family of seven. If my parents like it.
Speaker 4: I was obsessed with this video. It's a claymation video from like probably like nineteen ninety two, and it's just about like the wolf blowing down like from the hair my Tritney tinchin and it was all these clamation pigs and stuff, and it was this weird metal band and I wanted to buy the CD but there was a song called shit Man on it and my mom was like, probably you're like eight, you shouldn't buy this, but yeah, full on clamation weird like two adult version of a fable like Kids Fabled, that'd be cool.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: If we wanted to do story based right, like a game that we think would have like a really valuable story to tell but still be really fun to play. I think One by Metallica is one of the most incredible music videos of all time. One is a really long song, right, like it's like over seven minutes long. The music video depicts basically like the horrors of war, and so it's like showing someone who's like been through a lot of the problems in World War One and their PTSD and they actually I think they have like most of their arms and legs and.
Speaker 2: Like face shot on my.
Speaker 3: Line, yeah, yes, and they're like all fucked up and they're like in the music video, they're basically like kill me, like I don't want to be here, ayre. I think that there's like cinematic elements of that that would be like Gangbusters in a video game to explain the horrors of war. I don't think we accurately do that super well, but I do think there's games that depicts war in the.
Speaker 4: SAPs the line. What what are you laughing at that?
Speaker 2: I laugh because I laugh because Mike laughed, and his name.
Speaker 1: Is most Edged Lord. Like this game like says something.
Speaker 4: Specps the line, and that was a fucking bold game.
Speaker 1: I agree what you laughed, I don't line is an interesting game. I agree the way you said it was just find of darkness. Yeah, Joseph Conrad all that Apocalypse Now.
Speaker 3: Okay, Apocalypse Now is like one of my favorite movies of all time, and I think, like, I think that's not a.
Speaker 4: Wait, what's his fucking face, Mike, It's maybe my favorite movie of all time? What face?
Speaker 1: I love the movie. I love the movie.
Speaker 2: Making fun of us.
Speaker 1: I'm not making fun of you. I like that movie.
Speaker 2: You think you're so fucking great?
Speaker 4: Well, I got a post for bark was now outside this door. Box got a poster in her office. I like the problem.
Speaker 1: We love that move now. I thought speck Ops was great. That's all.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: What do you know about war?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you haven't seen a gun. He's got PTSD. Oh no, the horror, Oh god, the horror.
Speaker 1: They're in the trees.
Speaker 3: I think that a six story based game. I think if we're talking about gameplay right, like visually, this music video would probably make for some sick gameplay. Save seven Nation Army by White Stripes would make the best thumper level of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally Yeah. I wanted to mention this email and I cannot speak to the quality of this. However, do you guys subscribe to the newsletter Simon at Game Discover Code? No, really intelligent dude, like breaking down like why certain game? Mary, You'd love it. I'll send it to you. Why certain games? No? No, no, no, he like Dan.
Speaker 2: There's a finger painting that I think you would absolutely love.
Speaker 1: My niece, did this like turkey hand thing that you would put on your Yeah? Okay, Simon Carlos does a newsletter that's really good. You both like it, but marry because you like combed Steam for unique indie games all the time. There's a game called Dead as Disco. There's a demo available supposedly this game blew up on Steam. I think I want to say, like a month ago, two months ago, just says coming soon. You can upload any song you want to the game, and then the game will put you in a music video where you are like Seafu fighting people to the song. I have not played it myself. Apparently it's red. So you upload any song you want. So you could put Weapon of Choice. You could put Baby one More Time, you could put seven Nation Army, you could put Dan what what video do you put black hole son and you'll fight through this like and I get yes, there's like rhythm aspects, but like apparently the game adjusts. I don't know how it does it.
Speaker 4: E of the Ludacrous video where you had the really big hands, you have the big hole cans get back and he was get back and then yeah yeah and ever as well he was big like word of mouth, you had the big head and then get back you had the big hands. Ludacris is big on the big hand gimmicks stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that, but I don't know. Check out try the try the uh Martial Arts music video and Dennis Disco Neon drench beat him up where every punch kick and comos to the music. So yeah, you can supposedly upload I don't think I'm making this all up.
Speaker 4: People are making rematch Emig.
Speaker 1: Boss's Belly from Baandleis with killer move in your own sing sure tracks and you're no. There's a demo available though, add your own custom songs and fight endlessly in our arena. Infinite disco solar co op.
Speaker 2: That's a neat concept, bright to music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so cool. I don't know. Try it out.
Speaker 2: Let's to put K pop demon Hunters in it?
Speaker 3: Eh?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, Dan, do you want to read this one? Thank you Alice. By the way, Dan, do you want to read this one from Dustin? Yes.
Speaker 4: I have always been a person who loves the quiet life, just enjoying my video games, books and shows. In the past six years, that has completely changed when we had our first baby, alpaca.
Speaker 1: I'll send you to the photos though, please.
Speaker 4: We found out soon after his birth there is a whole national show system where alpacas are judged on their fiber quality in body confirmation. This is life changing for us and we are now part of our state Alpaca Association board and we go to multiple shows each year with our alpacas. I've said outpaca a lot more than they usually do.
Speaker 1: I love this so much.
Speaker 4: I am actually in the ring with the judges assisting them. This has completely changed my life from being introverted and anxious to becoming more extroverted, though the anxiety is still there. Now my question, what exotic animal would you like to devote your time towards if there was a humane show system for them from Dustin? Wow, Dustin, that's a whole. That's a saga. That's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Look at the photos. Yeah, look at the photos in that discord. I just saw you the phone. Look at that last one. That's a cute animal. That's good. Oh, I get that. I would. I mean, I'm fairly outgoing to like the fact that they kind of brought you out of that sphere is even more emboldening. That's great. Good for you. Very glad to hear that. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love hearing about Like, oh, here's the like I found this key that unlocked, Like, oh, I've always been missing shy or whatever, and now it's like I found my thing and now we're cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not pacas for him. They are cool looking. I don't know pacas might. Looking at these photos, I think mine's al Pakas.
Speaker 4: But I'm coming around cats exact. I know they're not exotic, but I don't know how much.
Speaker 1: I talked about cats are exotic. They're weird.
Speaker 4: I am very fascinated by how weird cats are.
Speaker 1: It's my first real cat.
Speaker 2: The cat family.
Speaker 1: Cats are the Kojima of pets.
Speaker 4: They're just fucking weirdos. He was fucking drinking from the dog's water bowl this morning, and I was just curious because he reacts everything weird, and I put an ice cube in the bowl and it just broke his fucking It's just he stopped drinking and he was just looking at like what the fuck. He takes like both pause, He's like what the fuck is this and like investigating it. I love this fucking dude so much. Like Boss is great and like it's interesting because, like you know, he's not like we have two cavalier dogs and so they're always just well gizmos, always like.
Speaker 1: Oh love me, love me, look at me.
Speaker 4: And Boss is just like when he wants it, he is like please pet me, like I love this. I'll perr. I'm just like I love this. But the second he's not into it, it's like a fuck off and he will just go stare at a wall for two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love how.
Speaker 4: Weird he is.
Speaker 1: They're such strange animals, Like.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love it, I get it. Love bos.
Speaker 1: They've carried over such weird jungle behavior that they haven't forgotten. Like dogs and cats are so intelligent in their own ways. Like dogs are intelligent in ways that make them so it's easy to look at the way a dog acts around us, and it's easy for us to project our intelligence onto them. She's like, yeah, they get how I live. They get like how they they form into our lifestyle, and they understand what we're going for and they kind of like mold themselves to meet that. Cats are doing their own thing and they're so curious in a way that it's like they're like, what is this ice cube up to? What the fuck is going on here? I don't know if I trust this thing. I'm going to check it out. I'll report back to the hive in a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like dogs can't hide their emotions, like Gizmo is NonStop just like oh hey, hey, I want some pats and stuff. Oh I want this, I want this, and boss, Like they can't express emotions really, like it's so so different and having them both in the same place is fascinating.
Speaker 3: Very different in my brief experience with cats, I feel like dogs are so emotionally intelligent, and if I'm sick or if I'm upset, my dog knows even more than normal to sit in my lap and just hang out with me and give me lots of cuds because he knows I'm upset. What the cat I was growing up with must have been like either there, that's like a normal cat, or mine was like on like the spectrum. He like could not process emotion at all, and if I wasn't having a good day, he was like, that's not my fucking problem.
Speaker 2: And I don't really give a shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had all the like sinus shit in the last year or so, and like you know, I've had a couple of procedures and been laid up for a few days, and both times it's like Gizmo has been like, oh, hey, I'm gonna be with you dad, even though it's not our normal time. I'm gonna go under the covers and stuff, and he's just curling up under my arm and being like extra sweet like dogs like it. It feels like bullshit to say it, but like it really does feel like they can tell how you're feeling in it just accordingly, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think O mut did.
Speaker 1: Yes, sorry our cat. Yeah. I think cats are more Dogs are way more outgoing, and I think they're more like eager to earn your appreciation by showing you that they understand how you're feeling. I would say our cats do that too, and like Amanda sick, Luna like curls up on her arm the two I had before we met. They also like kind of sleep near me when I'm not feeling well. But yeah, there's a difference though. Dogs are just so outright, like all I care about today is making you feel better. Yes, yeah. Cats are like this is all I care about for like ten minutes, and then it's like, well, I want to be over here now my friends. My friends are doing something.
Speaker 2: I got you I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting difference, but I think they're both valuable in their own right. And I also I do agree with you, like there's something really nice about watching an animal learn it in real time, and cats are really passionate about learning and figuring things out and solving crime.
Speaker 2: I don't think that my dog wants to solve anything. I don't think they care.
Speaker 4: It's it's so funny saying like like, let's say a package is left at the front door. Razor will see it, and Short there's freaking out because something's different. And then Gizmo from another room will be like, oh, this seems like an emergency, and he'll run up and he'll start screaming, and Boss will just be sitting there, does not give a fuck, will barely be bothered to open his eyes, just like these fucking idiots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cats. Cats are like, it's cat's world. We're all just living in it us and love. Yeah, I respect it. I have so much respect for Boss. I think we're anyway.
Speaker 3: I think a would probably be like, yeah, exactly, it would be interesting.
Speaker 1: Monkey, A flamingo would be real good.
Speaker 4: I think monkey, like what is the chimpanzees that are the main like little ones that hop around.
Speaker 1: Chimpanzees are the ones with the long arms. I can tear you apart.
Speaker 4: But I mean that's like when you picture like the little fun guys that go around and.
Speaker 1: Lankey Kongs a chimpanzee, he's the long I don't want to wrong, that's Lanky Kong's not allowed in my house. He's a chimpanzee. The ones you're thinking of, I think are the diddy kongs, which are more the like spider monkeys or just monkeys, oh little dudes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but I also I really felt strongly about how I needed to own a monkey before I was fifty.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people have had that base.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I've seen some documentaries and as I've learned more about Monty, I've abandoned that dream. I've seen Nope. Yes, but I also watch a what project nim was the thing about the people in the seventies that tried to raise a monkey as a pet and it didn't go well.
Speaker 1: That's what it's based on it or inspired by it.
Speaker 3: In this In this like example, it talks about how it's important that it's humane and that the animals treated well.
Speaker 2: Can they also not kill you? Like could it be like a black bear?
Speaker 3: Because it would be really fun to have like black bears and like we all hang out, but I don't want them to rip me to shreds.
Speaker 1: Ah, I know, I don't know. I think alpacas are like not dangerous creatures, so like I would say, like an Arctic fox, with. I know people who have owned Arctic foxes who like look gorgeous, but they have they do have to still live like in the backyard under the like they need a shelter in the backyard. They can't live inside there. I have.
Speaker 2: The key on stuff.
Speaker 1: They're just that I don't mentally, I don't think they can be inside.
Speaker 2: Because they'll eat the baby.
Speaker 4: When I worked at the movie theater, there was a fucking guy that had in his pocket like a sugar squirrel, sugar sugar glider, and so it's.
Speaker 1: Like he throws his enemy basis for him exactly. Yes, yes, he would, like.
Speaker 6: He'd be working the concession you see. It's it's a man first persons. A man's in it, yeah, right, sugar glider. But it's this dude who lost his wife. It's in the body.
Speaker 2: Forty hours into the game. It's like he's like, kill me. I went to the world and your friend has a right like what I saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, oh the trauma.
Speaker 4: Anyway, this fucking dude would be working the concession stand for like four hours and then he would get his fifteen minute shitty break and then you go up there and be like, check out my fucking squirrel thing that lives in my pocket and we don't be in the break room, Like, what the fuck? This guy's been in new pocket the whole time, and he would showhim up and he had like the crazy flying squirrel arm. And it's weird that they could just live in a pocket all time. I feel like there has to be some sort of weird Uh, this isn't humane.
Speaker 1: That should tell him not to do that.
Speaker 4: That like, wh'm just living in an AMC uniforms pocket for many, many hours a day is weird to me. But it was still like, Man, that guy seems cool.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming you didn't stay in touch with said man. No, not this guy. Yeah, so I wondered, Yeah, I wonder what's going on with the shut sugar glider is a good answer too. I would like a sugar lighter. I want to.
Speaker 3: I worry that it's not. I mean, readers can obviously correct me. I feel like most of the time when I've seen someone who owns a sugar glider, the sugar lighter doesn't seem that stoked because they're nocturnal, and so most of the time instinct you're kind of going against the animal's instincts having it, but maybe there's like a way to do it really humanly where everybody's like stoked to be there.
Speaker 2: But like the benefit of an l paca is like.
Speaker 3: It's already very domesticated and wants to chill and like casually eat next to you. That seems like a good animal that you can bond with and have fun with without harming its natural instincts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was always skeptical, Like, you know, you'd be at a party in college and somebody just brings a fucking giant snake and it's like the snake wants to be here near all this jungle juice and ship in a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have like a parrot, and it's just like, is this parrot?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take it over the guy who brings the acoustic guitar to the party, but not by much the snakes.
Speaker 1: Like, let's do some shots.
Speaker 4: Okay, Look, I would take a shot with a snake.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really really really don't like snakes, and I've tried my whole life to get over it. I don't like them.
Speaker 4: Have you done the thing? What's the deal with cats where it's like put a cucumber behind him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't.
Speaker 3: Think it's a snake, and they don't like it. It's gonna scare them generally, like it's an instinctual right behind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might scare them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't like snakes. Well, thank you, Dustin. Hopefully we answer your question. All right, I'll read the last one from Rachel, who's written in before Hello. All, I have been on a weight loss journey starting in twenty twenty four and have now hit seventy six pounds lost.
Speaker 4: Jesus.
Speaker 1: I've been watching calories, protein and how many servings and fruits and vegetables I'm getting. I feel like I'm getting to the point where I need to start exercising, but I'm not finding the motivation. I work ten hour shifts, eight days in a row on night shift, so for example, six pm to four am. Maybe a nurse, a nurse or a.
Speaker 4: Medica god, so I'm six pm to four am.
Speaker 1: That's I'm assuming if it's like my siblings, like, yeah, eight days on, eight days off. Not that that makes it easier. I'm just saying maybe a nurse. I don't know. My free time between work hours is sleeping, obviously, cooking food, spot cleaned the house, to keep it presentable and playing maybe an hour of video games. Charle tried all the quote unquote hacks. Place out your exercise clothes, schedule your workout, set a timer, and if you want to keep doing it. So far, nothing has worked because I just talk myself out of it. I used to bodybuild my early twenties and got so burnt out it harmed my relationship with food. So I'm trying to take everything extremely slow and not find myself back up in my heaviest weight. Honestly, any offbeat advice will be nice. I have a bench, adjustable weights, resistance bands, a treadmill, and a sweet dog to walk. I'm just lacking the motivation. Please, please, please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. That's Rachel from Michigan. I figured this would be good for us. We're not health experts, but we all like at one point or another, training for marathons, weightlifting, trying different workout routines, et cetera. So I figured, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 4: Like with the exercise stuff, I've always found that the thing that matters the most is that you're actually enjoying it, because like if you're just doing like going through the motions. You show up at the gym and just like I should probably do this, and I would probably do that, Like doesn't really work.
Speaker 1: You need to have an actual plan.
Speaker 4: So last year, the marathon stuff really worked well for me because I did two half marathons last year and that is is a strict schedule and it's like if you don't follow this schedule, you're not going to be able to do the thing. And so this year I tried to do a full marathon, signed up for it, and I was training for it, and you know, in the last like week or two, it's just like shit, I mean it had been more than two weeks that the pain had been happening, but like my shin splints and shit were like not good and everything I was seeing, like I was seeing physical therapist and they're like give it a week or two break or whatever. And then it's like you try to go back to it. It's like, well, shit, I'm supposed to run fourteen miles on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I can't fucking do that.
Speaker 4: So I had it sucks, I had to stop, and so it's like I'm not running the marathon, you know, I'm not doing that this year. So I'm pivoting, and I think where I'm at now because I'm writing that kind of transitional period now where I'm just trying to like figure out a different way to do this, and I'm trying to work out every morning right now. And the thing that works for me is when I wake up, all I want to do is go back to bed. You know, if the alarm goes off at seven fifteen, all I fucking want to do is sleep for another fifteen minutes, an hour, whatever it is. But you do realize you have to remind yourself that, like you do have the power, like there is nothing actually stopping you. Well I don't know, schedule whatever, you know, but like if nothing schedule wise is stopping you, you just have to get up and do the thing. And it might suck ass. You don't want to do it. It's the last thing you want to do. But if you want to do it, you can just stand up and do it. And then after a certain amount of time it does just become habit. Your body will adjust to it. It's like you are going to start waking up at the time, whether you want to or not. I gonn have a you know, if I'm in that you know, stretch of like I'm being good about working out every morning at seven fifteen, I could be drinking until three in the morning with friends, and then my body's going to wake me up at seven fifteen because it's like that's what it's used to. So you just have to force yourself to at a certain point and then habit does actually really work with your brain and body and you'll do it. But there's also the eating stuff and everything, so like, yeah, it's it's something I'm thinking about a lot because I am in between that stuff right now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, like, first off, the fact that you lost seventy six pounds is already a fucking huge treatment itself, so like you've gotten farther than the vast majority of people who set out to try to do a fraction of that, So congrats. Yeah, I would say, like habit forming is key, but also I think in order to assist the habit forming, there are several things like anytime I go for a run or I go to the gym, I'm always looking forward to the music. I make playlists for running, I make playlists for the gym, I make playlists for different kind of things I'm doing. At a certain point, you stop just looking forward to it. It's like you play a certain song on the way to the gym, whether you're driving or I walk to the gym, whatever you're doing or getting like stretching for your run. You hear the first song in that playlist and it gets you kind of gets your heart rate up and gets you like going, like there actually are physiological the studies about the physiological response, which is why I stopped. I try not to listen to those songs when I'm not working out, because then my heart rate actually I could feel it going up. Yeah. That just plays into the habit forming aspect of it, where it's like, all right, I don't want to go to the gym right now, but I'm really enjoying laying in bed, or I'm really enjoying I would love to just do lunch at home, but I'm going to go to the gym because you know, like now I'm just going to play the kick this playlist into gear. But I would also say that another like I don't know if this is a mental hack, and like this worked for me. It's like way back in the day I started, I would say really really hone in on how good you feel after the workout and enjoy that feeling. So the next day, it's like you're working toward that. You might wake up and it would feel great to stay in bed, would feel great to stay at home for lunch, when it would feel great to just generally not go to the gym or not saying you have to go to the gym. That's another hack. It's like you could do some really fucking tiring workouts at home. The workouts that really exhausts me the most are the ones I do at home that are all body weight and like course rank kind of stuff. But there's a certain point in the week where I like, it's I don't know tomorrow morning, Thursday, I'm like, I'm not gonna want to go to the gym. But then I'm like, as good as it feels laying better right now, I know I'm gonna feel like I'm walking on clouds when I'm done. So like every time you finish a workout, pay attention to like that that dopamine rush, Like it's almost like a drug, Like it sounds like if you.
Speaker 4: In the morning, like if you're done with your ships of the night, am and it's like I'm good. I'm like, it's not Carpelan for the fucking eat pizza rolls all day. But it's like you got your workout in. Yeah, your steps, you burnt your calories, whatever you gotta do.
Speaker 1: I don't know how helpful it is, but it's just like I don't know next time you work out, every time you work out, like really just like embrace how good you feel afterward. Zero in on that and like remember what it feels like and say, like, the only way I'm going to feel like that is if I, you know, do something and like and that's not to say you don't you should have days off like that. If you do every day, you're gonna burn out.
Speaker 4: I don't know, or do a yoga like I'm a big yoga guy, and like, if you want to just do every day, do yoga, like that's a great restorative thing. But Mike, to touch on the music thing, like I have found that like now that I'm not doing the running, I can do you know, I'm doing a lot more biking now because it's easier on the joints and everything, and I'm trying to do it in the morning, Like this morning.
Speaker 1: I rode.
Speaker 4: I did like an eight or nine mile ride this morning. And I can pick, like if there's an artist or something you're getting interested in, like the last year or so, I'm really getting into like Kendrick Lamar. And there are certain you know, albums I've not heard or whatever, so it's like, all right, not a lot of albums are more than like an hour or so I'm gonna go on like a bike ride for an hour and listen to all of you know, this one album, and uh, it really does make the time go faster. And when you're done in the morning, it's just like, man, I I took in an album. I really enjoyed that I And I'm good to go like and work even if time gets away from me like it does with anyone, especially us working from home. You got your shit in in the morning before the day started.
Speaker 1: Plus the music becomes the primary thing, and like learning a new or listening to a new album, the workout becomes secondary. It almost like yes, brings the the scariness of the workout down a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Or like podcasts, it's like, you know, my favorite podcast for Monday and Wednesday, so I know, like those days if I go on a long ride or something. It's like, oh great, I'll get the catch up on this PODCA you get.
Speaker 2: To listen to a podcast. It's a nice street for yourself.
Speaker 3: I think for a lazy girl like me, I often try and do things that are not workouts that I know are good for me and that will give me the dopamine rush that I am doing my best, but also the comfort of being like listen, I'm also busy, especially with all the travel I'm doing right now, I do not have the time to work out as much as I cannot go to a and so what can I do that make me feel like I'm doing my best? Things that I like to do are I do have a fitbit, and I love just the idea of tracking my steps, like go easy on yourself. If you can't make it to the gym, then you can't make it to the gym. But something that I think you can do is hit ten thousand steps. If you go on a walk, if you take the stairs, if you do things that are just more walking, you can hit ten thousand steps.
Speaker 1: And that is active.
Speaker 3: That is like walking a theme park for the day, and so that is like a great way to stay to stay active and on your feet without being like, yeah, I have to go to the gym and like lift weights.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do that. Gopher walks, do your best to.
Speaker 3: Walk when you feel like you could have driven, or again like take the stairs, do things that just make you move your body. There has been times with my fitbit where I've been close, you know, like nine hundred and fifty steps and I literally like, as I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to bed, I'm doing extra steps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, around the bedroom, like doing like circles dropping down the stairs. I've definitely done that.
Speaker 3: Because when you hit ten thousand on a fit fit, it gives you fireworks and it buzzes and it's like you did so great down to Getting that is like a great dopamine rush for me. And it also just reminds me that I'm trying and that I'm doing my best and I'm being thoughtful about it, right, Like there is like this effort. There's sometimes like in the back of my head, it's like if you're not breaking a sweat and lifting weights, like you're like wasting your life, And it's like give yourself patience and kindness. You've obviously come a really long way. You've put a lot of work in and you deserve to feel good about yourself. So like, don't ever punish yourself and be like you suck, like you should be going to the gym. You don't need to do that to yourself ever, and you don't deserve to do that to yourself for how hard you've worked. Give yourself lots of grace and credit and use walking as an excellent way to stay fluid and mobile and give yourself lots of grace.
Speaker 4: And if you work from home, there's so many different ways to do it. Where it's like January this year, I got the most steps I've ever gotten any month because I got an underdsk treadmill.
Speaker 1: And it's just like.
Speaker 4: There's so many like there's parts of my day where I'm like on camera on microphone talking and I'm not going to be walking during all that, but everything in between where I'm just answering emails and shit like that, you know, it's like just be walking, just getting tho steps in.
Speaker 2: You can be walking.
Speaker 3: My other one that I actually did find that helped me over the winner because it's really hard to get me out of the house in the winter. It's rains, a lot in Portland, and like driving to the gym is not my cup of tea. In the Rain, I got a TV in my area where I have like my little weights, and I put on a YouTube video. There's so many free YouTube people that will.
Speaker 2: Do a course with you.
Speaker 3: That way, they're telling you what to do, and that makes me feel a little better than just lifting my little silly weights and obviously putting them down when I get tired. I like, I like a lady named Caroline Gervin. You can check her out. Some of her later stuff is way too hard. She's like incredibly strong. She looks like a she's built like a brick shit house. But like check out stuff where it's like twenty minute no repeat, like or don't even do Carolyn Gervin, Like just google on YouTube twenty minute no repeat, which means for twenty minutes, someone's gonna do exercises and they're never gonna repeat the same exercise. God send, Like you won't have to like do the same goddamn squats for ten minutes. For sixty seconds, you'll do an exercise and if you didn't like it, you never have to do that fucking exercise again. And I think that's really good for my brain, especially like on days when I don't want to work out. It's like, well, if I didn't like that, we're moving on to the next one.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Anyway, those are all my tips from a lazy girl who has to work out but doesn't want to take one.
Speaker 4: Do yoga. I fucking love yoga. And if you just want to do the free thing, yoga with Adrian on she's like the big If you just search yoga on YouTube, you're gonna see yoga with Adrian and her dog Benji and everything. She does a good job for like very entry level stuff. Oh I'll just change my name to Adrian. Okay, great, changed Adrian. She she's good entry level yoga stuff. And the thing I do now is with Peloton. I'm a big Peloton guy, and Adidi Shaw she's the best with yoga. I do that several times a week. I've been doing yoga for fifteen years and that is probably my favorite exercise thing I've ever done. And give it a shot. A lot of people don't. They write off yoga as like bullshit thing.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 4: I'm doing yoga regularly. Oh my fucking before, I'm always sitting between playing video games and being on zoom calls and shit like that. It's a lot of fucking sitting here and yoga, doing your cat cow bos. You're doing your downward dogs and all that shit like. Do that a few times a week, you're gonna feel a lot better, for sure.
Speaker 2: I agree that's good advice.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Rachel, and again congrats on the weight loss. Sounds like the I don't know, it's already been going well, so anything from here.
Speaker 4: Is just yeah, if you lost seventy six pounds, you got something figured out.
Speaker 1: Also, she got a kitten around this time last year who's trying to be friends with her dog, Dwayne. She's talking about the cat now, Oh yeah, kittens like a fluffy Tuxio looks cute, and then Duane's like a pit bull boxer mix of some sort, very cute. It's funny.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of times people getting dogs, you'd be worried about the dog attack on the cat. I've got the two cavaliers and the one cat, and it's like, oh, this cat would fuck Razor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm way more worried about those dogs.
Speaker 3: Eyeballs like one swipe and those bad boys are blind.
Speaker 1: Fuck them up, dude.
Speaker 3: Dude, the fucking photos of your dogs were tree stuff in the water and their eyeballs are like tennis balls that have just been pasted to heads.
Speaker 4: He's just a maniac.
Speaker 3: He's no defense mechanism to those dogs, like they would absolutely be killed.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you Rachel, thank you Dustin, and thank you Alice. That concludes our show as usual. Like I said, you can run through fireskip cast at gmail dot com. Thank you for everybody who pointed out that the game I could not remember was indivisible, not for lack of quality on the game spart. I liked it a lot. I might even replay it someemi soon. We will be back in two weeks as usual. You can go to fire skate merch dot com. Can you We always do this. I don't think you.
Speaker 8: Can else Deep dish Pussy Deep dish Pussy as if you okay, if you're not already a patriarch, Okay, fire skate merches, Yeah, go to fire fire skip cast Merch.
Speaker 1: I don't know it's one of those. Yeah, go to deep dishpussy dot com. That's our pat Vinnie and I from Vinie Caravelli from Next Lander and I have been doing a couple total Ward Warhammer three co op campaigns, both of which have been very entertaining for different reasons. There was one over on next Lander. If you're not already a patron for their ten dollars tier, which is a lot of their bonus videos and whatnot, Vinnie and I are playing evil factions. We're going We're like rampaging across Leustria. I'm playing vampire zombie pirates. He's playing Demonic Fiery Horde kind of faction. That's fun. And then if you're a video patron here, then you have been seeing that every other week on our off weeks. From the episodes, we've been putting up the campaign where me and Vinie are trying to save the world. I'm playing as a lizard, men, chameleons, dinosaurs. He's playing as Imrik, the High Elf Priest with dragon fetish, so we've been trying to that. One is a bit more dramatic, where I think finally going to start turning the tides against a bunch of uh Chaos dwarfs and uh Nerdlings and uh, you know all that stuff that I don't need to explain, you guys, all know urglings.
Speaker 4: Oh god, Dan, nerdlings is funnier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could be called nerdlings. That would still make sense. What's a nerd Nergile is one of the four chaos gods in charge of pestilence and disease and spreading stuff like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Oh he doesn't, sobart On a coffin, so he's not cool. Oh Tony Tony Hawk's not signed on, so it's not cool.
Speaker 4: You're just saying about cool sounding sub to me.
Speaker 7: Oh, Total Warhamm was not published by Devolvood Digital, so it's not cool.
Speaker 2: That was married not as big of a he was for me on that one.
Speaker 1: I'm firing both. So if you are not part of our video.
Speaker 3: Tam was like that shot wasn't for me. I don't understand it. Of all of us, Dan is like the cat of this group who's just like but I don't understand how that pertains to me.
Speaker 1: No, I take offense to that. I'm the cat.
Speaker 2: Uh, you're the biggest dickhead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm the dog for sure. I'm like I played two point hospital. It was great. Thanks for letting me speak.
Speaker 1: I love I'm in a pineapple room.
Speaker 2: I got all these colors, all right, dogs are color blind?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, s o cats. But if you're not a member of our Patreon yet, you can go sign up now at Deep Dishpussy dot com. You can treat it like a tip jar if you just appreciate what we do. You can get ad free audio episodes, or you can get the video tier where you get video versions of every episode and you also get access to our bonus videos and the said Warhammer show with Viney. Uh yeah, Dan, what do you have going on? In the meantime?
Speaker 4: Giant bomb dot Com doing a bunch of fun stuff there. We just started the new season of Blake Club where I am playing Pimp my Ride for the PlayStation two.
Speaker 1: Great game.
Speaker 4: I think I think I'm doing a great job. I think I'm doing it. We started it today as of this recording, I think I'm doing a great job. So giant bomb dot Com is the main thing that I'm Dan record on Twitch and Blue Sky and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Mary, what about you streaming on Twitch every Monday? I streamed a lot of the games I talked about, including two point Museum and was it called get packing Big.
Speaker 1: Big Big Quickly Card Quickly Blockbuster, Beck Harder, Try and card du Check Give Get for your Pack, Hard Pack Hard with a Vengeance.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I usually play games on their first just to try them out, so it's kind of fun to get first impressions, their final impressions aka the review the fuse on fire Escape.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you too as always, and thank you everybody for joining us. We will be back in a couple of weeks, and in the off week we'll have a new Warhammer episode. Until both of those, we will see you next time.
Speaker 8: Bye bye,