Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. This is Scott Jeger here with a very special crossover edition of Challenge Mania and Survivor Mania coming to you live from our apartment. Just kidding. We have a very special guest here today. He is the author of the New York Times bestseller The Tribe and I Have Spoken, which I was privileged to be a small part of. But he is a massive part of everything we do at Challenge Mania. He's a massive part of the Survivor world, the reality TV world. We're so glad to be joined here in person, Lindsey and myself with Rob Sister Nino. How are you?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. That was very Jonathan like, be mister yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Rob, Uncle Rob.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Scott gets a little jealous sometimes because I am probably a bigger fan of your podcast than I am.
Speaker 1: You mean you listen to him.
Speaker 2: He'll be like, did you hear my podcast this week?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, no, but let me tell you what Rob said this week. So it was an honor to be asked to be here with you today.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, so nice to be here. Thank you for listening. And if it's any consolation, my wife listens to very few of my podcasts.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think she's a huge challenge mania.
Speaker 3: You know what she might be. She might love it.
Speaker 1: Can I be honest though, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna lie. It is a little bit more liberating that you don't listen as much as you used to. In fact, sometimes when you're home and you can hear me from the other room and you don't even know the other side of the conversation, you'll be like, can you say that? Or what were you saying about? What's her name?
Speaker 3: And I have to yeah, yeah, So I do get busted sometimes when my wife hears me to tell a story on the podcast, and you know, that's fear game if she's listening. I don't like is when people nark on this, oh and tell my wife listen to an episode of the podcast where I tell a true story and my wife didn't want me to tell that story. I'm not gonna say that. I'm like saying something out of school like things These things happen.
Speaker 2: Right who owns the story?
Speaker 3: But apparently we have like an NDA in our marriage. I didn't know about that.
Speaker 4: Do you have it with us? When we podcast together? I sometimes have notes after the podcast about.
Speaker 1: Oh does she ever give you notes?
Speaker 2: Do you when you two?
Speaker 4: Because I know you and Nicole podcast together sometimes do you get a little bit of feedback afterwards?
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes yes, yes, I am on the receiving end of feedback. I'm not really supposed to give feedback.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course. Yeah. So you know she mentioned you and Nicole still podcasts about Survivor quite frequently. I feel like I can still kind of hear the joy in her and her voice talking about that show that joy is pretty much gone when it comes to the challenge with you, you are like too close to it. These are people who take me away from you a couple of times a month, you know, So what what's the key to? Obviously it's such a big part of your world now.
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic when you talked about how you felt like that you could hear the joy and a joy talking about Survivor well once in a while. But I find that most of our podcasting is about things other than like I have to tailor those podcasts too. What's going to be interesting for her to talk about more so than let me get your take on the most recent Survivor episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, speaking of the most recent Survivor season, this was such a huge year for you. Obviously, you get to be on Traders, your book just came out as I met here the tribe, and I've spoken to here live and in person. Maybe some other fun things coming later this year that we won't talk about quite yet, but very cool stuff on the horizon. And then Survivor, like you know, such a big year first Survivor. Let's start with fifty because it's top of mind all right. Overall thoughts on the season, I mean, couldn't have been more hype, couldn't have been more stuff? And the company, you know, you did try becka film festival, you were on tour, You're doing the book stuff and whatnot. Now that we have our winner, Aubrey Broco, did the season live up to the hype? And what did you think about it?
Speaker 3: I think it would be hard to live up to the hype. I think that the good and what I would say is the thing that I really loved about Smar fifty is that people were invested in, people cared, and so there was an excitement around Survivor that I have not felt in quite some time. During Smarmber forty nine. I felt like that the fandom, with all due respect, was largely dead and checked out on season forty nine. And it doesn't have as much to do with the people that were actually on the show, but there was just nothing to be excited about with season forty nine. Everybody was looking ahead to season fifty, and so while season fifty I feel like was imperfect in a lot of ways that we were excited, like there was a reason to watch the show every Wednesday night, and so I think that it was kind of like a Berserko mode in terms of like, wait, what's happening?
Speaker 1: But we cared, Yeah, do you have anything on fifty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we were talking about this.
Speaker 4: I think obviously you know, you were one of the people that was in contention for season fifty. Selfishly, I would have loved it so much.
Speaker 3: Do you beg you yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Do you look back on this year and all that's happened and feel like things in some ways worked out for a reason?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think things worked out really well where I don't think it would have gone particularly great on season fifty. For me, I think I would have been sort of like, oh, he knows, everybody. I think it would have been an easy an easy person to agree on. So I think if I made it to the end of the pre merge, that probably would have been a pretty good showing for me. And so it didn't work out with Survivor, I got to go do the Traders. Didn't know it didn't work out great on the Traders, but it was definitely a really good experience and I feel like that, even though my time was short, I felt like that I came off looking okay, yes on the Traders, and I feel like that that opened a lot of doors and I got the podcast all about the Traders. And the thing is, if I had done Survivor, they wouldn't have let me do the podcast about Survivors. So I feel like I really got to like have my cake and eat too in a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and from a business standpoint, you're probably introduced to a whole new fan base of people.
Speaker 3: And with everybody being so excited about Survivor fifty, I would have felt like that it was a missed opportunity to not have been able to podcast fifty.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, that's my inside baseball question because as someone knew, I mean, look, I've never even been invited to be on any of these shows, so it doesn't matter. But my co host very much is still on the Challenge, and you know, we're blessed that they let him podcast, not just about seasons he's not on, but seasons that he is on. They are fairly loosey goosey about letting their cast members do interviews, and we are also good about making sure we don't do anything that puts the kibosh on that. Yeah, Survive is very strict about that. Traders obviously was so nice to let you. You know, the silver lining of you getting out so early was you got to podcast about the entire season, but with the added benefit of having been there playing with these people weeks prior. So I'd love to know that that conversation with the Traders, I think they are so ahead of the game when it comes to not taking this stuff as seriously. They leaked their own cast the minute they're on that flight to Scotland. They don't let the spoiler accounts have it and stuff like this, letting you podcast about it so openly and whatnot, letting their cast members do longer interviews and things like that. Was it an easy conversation with them to let you just you know, pick up the podcast Mike right away.
Speaker 3: So the thing that I had in my favor is that I had already been podcasting about the show, and so they knew that I was a professional and that I wasn't going to be talking out of school and I was somebody who was going to like take this very responsibly. I think that there were other podcasts that were happening that they were not happy with and maybe might have not wanted to have happened because I had in my experience, I feel like that the not everybody understands what's the spoiler and what you're doing that is spoilery. And I really take a lot of pride in I don't think I gave anything away on podcasting about The Traders, and I really thought I was up for the challenge. And the way I think you have to do it is you can't talk about what's going to happen. You could just talk about like, what did happen? And that's really how I tried to approach talking about season four of The Traders.
Speaker 1: And they even let you do the exit interviews, yeah as a cast member, which to me, I thought the one if I was playing Devil's advocate, Well, save some of that for the reunion. Let's hear it. Let them talk to the Mike Blooms of the world. But you know, for you to be able to confront the person who caught you out with the Congo line or whatever it is, like, let's save that from mister Cohen. You know. So I just thought, I mean again, to be ahead of the curve. I thought it was great. I thought benefited them. More coverage is good coverage and things like that. And the fact that simultaneously they had started their own official I love the I love they always have to let everyone know it's the official. This the official that you know, Jeff Probe says, the only official Survivor podcast, of course, not the one that's been going on for fifteen years, and that everybody knows and loves this brand new and that.
Speaker 3: This is the official, unofficial podcast. So I think that there is a freedom in being an unofficial podcast that is not the you know, company line of You could say things that, Okay, we love this, but we didn't love this in a way that you can't do if you are the official podcaste.
Speaker 4: That was something we talked about though, with whether if you had done fifty, how the press would have been handled. So it's we have our answer, which I would.
Speaker 3: Not have done my first Survivor podcast perhaps very recently. Yeah, if that was I was on.
Speaker 1: Did the conver like so I know, like, you know, you mentioned you had gotten those initial calls and uh, you know, we've heard from other cast members who have been kind of strung along and cut last minute things like that, you know, and obviously I don't know if I speak for you, but you probably don't want to load your first conversation up with all these demands and can I do this in the podcast? But did the conversations get that far where you at least kick the tires on what you'd be.
Speaker 3: Able to know? It never did. And I had some good advice, and I had asked, like, no, no, it's not out of but as somebody who I you know, advises me on a lot of like Robinson podcast business affairs, and I'd asked, well, like what do I do? And they said, you know what, let's get on the show and then we'll have that conversation. And so it just never got that.
Speaker 1: In their defense, like I literally like so when Derek got back on Challenged All Stars was the first season since we started Challenge Mania, and the twenty page contract he signed had been updated since they had last been on, where it said you have to get every single interview or podcast appearance approved, including your own right. So now they know cast members do their own thing, their own social media, and so we were again fear of God and us like thinking, oh my God, now they legally have the right to do and they never did. So, you know, the whole asking, you know, forgiveness, not permission podcast no, but had we gone out of our way to ask for special treatment on the front end, they probably would have been like, can we give this one cast member now? But we just did it. We did a good job with it. We didn't spoil anything, things like that.
Speaker 3: And in defense of Survivor that they're not worried about the podcasting. You know, they're looking to put the best cast onto the show that they can and so I totally I don't begrudge them for not caring about what's going to happen with Roberts's podcast. They're looking to put the best Survivor season, and they're talking to me as a survivor player, not as a person who has a podcast, and so I did not have any issue with that, like that not being a concern for them. I think ultimately, in some ways, I think it kind of was that they were like, that's.
Speaker 1: Why perhaps remember Jeff and I was shocked by this, did not do the on Fire Podcast for this season, which I got to know, do you have any conspiracy theories for the real reason why he claims it was that I believe he said he wanted to save it all for the live reunion, which he did not save a single thing for.
Speaker 3: No, we didn't really talk about it anything. Yeah, I think that there was some negative press that came out of the last season of the on Fire Podcast Australia, the discussion of Parverty's win is it a half season Australian Survivor, And so I think that for Jeff, who's very busy, very financially successful, what's the upside for Jeff? I think that he wanted to do the podcast because it's like, I have all these things I want to say about the episodes, and I want to get this off my chest, and really it's time commitment. I'm sure that there is income that comes from it. But probably not consequential income.
Speaker 1: But the game yeah right, they don't do video like there's a you know, but yeah.
Speaker 3: But like I don't like if it's on his I would imagine that maybe the income that he could be making for that is maybe in a five figure income and so and when you have other seven figure incomes, like it's like, why am I doing this? Because you don't he doesn't have to do a podcast about Survivor. He could just let Survivor speak for itself as other people who do a podcast. So if he's not getting joy from it and put people and people are jumping on the things that he's saying, and and there's and there's bad press around it, Like I understand why he might say, like, what am I doing this for?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Is it coming back? You think?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I'd be surprised. And and here's the other thing. I don't know what decision came first, But if we're not having the official one, are we really going to also cut the head off the unofficial for our biggest season? Maybe they go, can we really not have Jeff out there and not have rob podcasts?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think that the two things were intertwined because they had already not picked me for Curviber or fifty and they did the podcast for season forty nine, right, I don't think that there was any those two things I think were unrelated.
Speaker 1: So speaking of like bad press and things like that, and again to talk about them kind of being behind the curve, like to say that, like that that viral moment where it was him or Jeremy kind of you know, thrown a little bit of shade apart. That's probably the most anybody talked about that podcast that season, and there is I think when it comes to clicks and views, a little bit of an all press is good press. At the finale, which you were at, Jeff has the flub of all flubs. He spoils not like anyone really thought Rizzo had a chance of beating Jonathan and Fire, but his whole family has to find out via you know, jump in two segments ahead flub that Rizzo had lost. Everyone handles it really reasonably well, including Jeff, who covers for it nicely, starts making a bunch of jokes about it. Sure they for whatever reason decided to leave it in every subsequent so like you know, the West Coast did not have to have that road. Neither did the person who watched up Paramount Plus the next morning. But I digress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just assumed our friends didn't see it. We were like, oh, we won't tell them on the West Side.
Speaker 1: So bad. But the next day I had dozens of people who do not even watch Survivor never mentioned Aubrey once, but they wanted to talk about this flub. And I just think, you know, somebody's been covering the show for so long, is there something great about a viral moment like that, something you could never script or come up with that just you know, breaks through the zeitgeist. We've done fifty seasons of this show, so like Game, so few Game moments are ever going to do that, and this moment did.
Speaker 3: You can't plan for something like this, and so it was a WTF moment where that's so few things are live on television, and so when you have a live TV moment, I think that that's something that can break through. I think it was a good human moment for Jeff, who I think often is at his best when he's reacting to something that isn't planned. I think that where you sort of roll your eyes sometimes where Jeff has like a scripted, canned thing that he wants to hit, but when he's just reacting to the events that are occurring at that moment, that's where you know he is really just the best at this. And so I think it was ultimately a cool thing that happened, and probably maybe between that and the Mister Beasts coin, the most memorable thing from season fifty.
Speaker 4: Now we have to we have to talk about your book a little bit. We're really excited that Scott had a little appearance in it because for me, he knew that was how he could impress me, is be in your book, Yes, by name.
Speaker 3: And really credit Stephen Fishback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I.
Speaker 4: Was wondering did you even I mean, this was Stephen, Where did you even? Were you aware that Scott was.
Speaker 3: A lot of people disclosure.
Speaker 1: I think he reached out to like anyone he thought to provide a good quote.
Speaker 3: We had been thinking about like who could write the forward for the book, and very quickly arrived on like, the only logical person is Stephen. And so Stephen on his own worked on this beautiful forward in the book. And so I was not aware of what Stephen was putting together for the forward of the book, had you known?
Speaker 2: No, just kidding?
Speaker 1: Well, no, he said so funny DM me and I was and or text me whatever he did, and I was like on a flight. I was like two bloody Mary's deep. I was couldn't have been more honored. And I wrote him like an essay, you know, any whole and he and he chose I think a great sentiment, which is the irony of It's called Rob has a podcast, but it's become so much more than that, and that you've laid the blueprint for how to you know, create a reality super fandom that's more than just audio or video product, a community at et cetera, et cetera. So and speaking as somebody who stole the entire model, you know, I think you know, but uh but no, I was. And I didn't even know that he had chosen me until I was talking to Rob on the phone about something else and like off handedly mentioned it and I think I maybe Rob could tell I don't think he knows he's in it. And so then he sent me the advanced copy and I found out that I was in it.
Speaker 3: So it's great.
Speaker 4: I saw your Instagram story a few days ago where you were Anna Barnes and Noble buying your own book because you didn't have one any did one for not for our podcast, but.
Speaker 3: I have many at my house. I did not have boxes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now I was very impressed. You said that the cashier did not recognize you. You weren't a little See you're a better person than me. I would have had to have said something to them.
Speaker 3: I would never assume that anybody recognizes me from reality TV or the podcast. But there is a picture of me on the front of the book, and I did think that there was some comedy in me going.
Speaker 1: You're probably similar.
Speaker 3: To the man at the checkout to see if you like, hold on? Is this like to do a double take? He did? He I think he was kind of in his own world.
Speaker 5: We're in a little tempted to Hey, at least I'd like walk around Barnes Enable Barnes and Noble holding it out.
Speaker 2: And just just just for the random I.
Speaker 3: Had somebody filming me to get like reactions or double takes. I think that that would have been a fun bit.
Speaker 2: But you should do that and that'll be our Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, like you know, she mentioned the book. The book is such a great sort of history of Survivor, but that ties in obviously your role as a two time player, but also just like the voice of the super fans, and I think you have like such a unique like every week you are in essence talking to and getting such a focus group of every single thing that's happened on the show. You you wrote something about every cast member that's ever been on the show, Yes, which I think is so noble because, let's be honest, with a lot of first boots. And if you've ever been to the formerly known as Hearts of Reality which is now called Celebrity Weekend in Florida, and you will talk to somebody for thirty minutes before realize you talked about recognizing somebody at Barnes and Noble before you realize that they were on Survivor, and they have to remind you, you know, I was third out on ko wrong or whatever it is. I say that that the Celebrity Weekend has more first boots than a kid's section at a Timbaland store. But so I mean doing that was it hard to have? Like don't have to name any names because we don't want to embarrass anybody. How many you've done so many We've done a lot of rewatches for the podcast, so the top of mind more for you than the average we were. But how many people did you really have to refamiliarize yourself with?
Speaker 3: No, not many. I think that it was harder. And what I did was a pre order digital bonus chapter for people who did the pre orders for the book, of one thing about every single person whoever played So seven hundred and fifty one people have played Survivor in the US, and so I tried to have our fallen comrades of like the rights of passage, of like one thing to say about each person. So I think that a lot of the first boots, like it's easier to do, like how do you say one thing about poverty? How do you say one thing about Boston rob and you say one thing about sore? So I think when there were a million things to pull from that, how do you how do you distill it down to you know, a couple of sentences. Whereas the person who is like any you know, random first boot, it's like they like, you remember the one thing.
Speaker 1: Better than the third. You know, It's almost like right, It's like they say in wrestling, if you're not in the main event. You want to be in the first match, because nobody remembers the second through the seventh matches. It's kind of the you know, like the Academy Awards. You remember who wins Best Supporting Actors because they do it first, and then everything in the middle you're kind of like, you know, eating the cheese plate. Let's talk about the winner really quick. So Aubrey ends up being the winner multi time returning player, I think, a great you know, recipient and someone who's going to now represents the virivor fifty. I wonder how much of that kind of went in to her winning. And I had a theory that I thought that this season just based on the fact that they had so many New Era people coupled with a lot of like veteran returning favorites, that whoever the last returney or og standing was going to win this show. Do you see a scenario in which someone could have someone from the New Era could have played a good enough game to beat whether it's Aubrey Assy or say fill in the blank, somebody who it's like, hey, big target on him from the front. They get to the end, and is it possible somebody could have outplayed that well.
Speaker 3: I don't think that it's we could say that any old era player or would have beaten any new era player, because I think if Tiffany got to the end, I think even Tiffany would have beaten Aubrey. I think that somebody who had that right underdog story rising. I think that Tiffany even had a better underdog story because I think that she went from at the merge as she was clearly on the bottom, and then she had this really great story of winning a bunch of challenges and everybody could really respect that, and she had some real advocates on the jury, So I think that people might have also seen it as like a proxy win for Sari if Tiffany ultimately got to the end. So I think Tiffany actually beats Aubrey, and I think Aubrey very keenly was aware of that and pushed for Tiffany to go out at the final five when she did. But I do think that there is some merit to what you're saying about the people who had a legacy, and not just a legacy, but had the respect of their peers to get to the end and would have had a really strong case. I don't know, if necessarily Emily wins against any combination of people from the new era, I'm sorry, and she's new era, she's new. I'm trying to think of other people that maybe Stephanie Christy and Stephanie. Yeah, they certainly they had their base, but they so.
Speaker 1: Much of Aubrey's like final travel story and also just was about her previous seasons, which I think it's like such.
Speaker 2: A happy the point was of what she had learned.
Speaker 4: I mean, so much of winning the Survivor is self awareness, right in that in that final.
Speaker 1: The twenty people on the show, all of them watched probably every one of Aubrey's seasons, probably a couple of them multiple times, whereas, like, let's be honest, a couple of them maybe you know, did a crash course on tiffany season or Jonathan season or nobody had seen Rizzo's season. That I think that redemption arc. I mean, I thought Jonathan could have probably played as good of a game as you I mean, do you think there's that what could Jonathan have done better? And you know, I'm okay with Aubrey having one, but I thought that, like you know, talk about someone who bettered their game and improved themselves, whether it's the fire, the social game, etc.
Speaker 4: It's the story telling too. So Abrey told the story of what she learned and how she was self aware of what she needed to do.
Speaker 3: And Yeah, I think Jonathan did a lot of things well, but I think that there was also a lot of votes where Jonathan didn't necessarily know what was going on got blindsided a few times. I recently spoke with Rizzo, and he was somebody who I look at him as like the most independent voter in the jury, because even Rick and Christian and Emily, who they were also sort of swing voters, I felt like they're kind of like a voting block where I think that Rizzo came out and he was the one who was really just I thought, totally independent, and he was an Aubrey voter. And I had asked him about his vote, and he felt like that there were things that Jonathan did not always know what was going on strategically. He he talked about the vote on the Powerbroker vote that he really thought that Jonathan did not do a good job on getting Emily Flippin out in the and and we're all talking about the Ozzie part of that vote, but he said, why did you work with SuRie on that vote? Like instead like you could have taken Surrie out in the first part of the power Broker, Like why were you doing Siree's bidding in the first part of that power Broker? Which I thought that was interesting. I hadn't heard anybody talk about that, and so I think that that ultimately comes down to I don't think that Aubrey was blindsided on any of the votes. I think Aubrey always knew what was happening, and so she also has that great respect of everybody. She wins that final challenge and ultimately you know, here she is the winners of five fifteen.
Speaker 4: And I think if you look at the cast before the season was played of who is going to be looked at as the top strategists, the top people that you're going to be scared are going to outwit you. There, I mean Aubrey's on that list. So she she she played the game in the way that she had to in order to get rid of that sort of idea of herself coming up.
Speaker 1: I just think being a familiar favorite and making it to the end has has sort of supplemented and replaced being the immunity threat that makes it to the end like it always used to be. If Jonathan gets to the end, he's gonna win, or if a Joe gets to the end, he's gonna win. That's almost gone completely.
Speaker 4: Right sometays they have to work harder and well.
Speaker 1: Right or is there a man, is there an amount of hard they could work to where you see that as being a bigger deal than you let the four time player and familiar favorite get to the end? Because I was so, let's say it's Rizzo, Joe, and Jonathan. Who wins that one? Do you think? So?
Speaker 3: That's the really interesting one. I think it's really a toss up between you know, flipp and mister Bee's coin of whether it was going to be Jonathan and whether it was going to be Rizzo. I've gone back and forth a couple of times on who I think ultimately would have win. I think that I probably would have said Jonathan originally, but then thinking about it, I thought that there was a chance in Rizzo. And then I've also heard that there were some people that felt like they were not going to vote for Rizzo under any circumstances to win the game. So I think that that would have been Jonathan's best bet. I think it really came down to Aubrey winning some emotion winning that Final four challenge, and I think it's, you know, such a big pop for the jury when you see that, Like you come in at the Final four and there's Aubrey wearing the immunity necklace and she beat Joe, one of the you know, winningest individual immunity competitors, and Jonathan, and so you you look at her like, Wow, I can't believe she's really doing it.
Speaker 1: And I justly, I mean real, we love we stan Rizzo in the Jeger.
Speaker 2: Household, my son's favorite person, rocks in love with him.
Speaker 1: But I just think, and I think, I mean in a world in which he played on season forty seven or forty six and people had at least seen his season, yeah, I think maybe he could run away with it had he made it to the end and one. But I think having the fact that nobody had seen his original season, I think, I think, I don't know if anyone had verbalize this, but I feel like people were gonna have a very hard time voting for a guy who they never even saw because they have no relationship to his first game, talk about having four relationships with Aubrey games and stuff like that, and connecting with players as a viewer. As far as a peer, you have no idea whether on his first season he said something that you would have disagreed with or played in a way that you totally would have hated. And obviously they have conversations on the beach and things like that. But to like, to me, I always thought everyone viewed Rizzo as the casting was the was the prize for him, right, And that's why I think everyone kind of let him get as far as they did. He was like the ultimate person to have sitting next to you based on age, even though he's older than he looks. But like the fact that he even got to play again sight unseen, he already kind of is playing with house money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think like the win for Aubrey proves that there was a little bit on people's mind of this is you know that the entire journey, you know, this entire survivor journey on the line here rather than just this one.
Speaker 1: It's literally season we're talking about season fifty and person played four times or a guy who just like literally it's season two for him, right where we were. If you just watch, if you started watching Survivor recently, so so funny, we joke. My son's seven years old. He's gotten two Rizzo seasons, a Knicks championship, the you know, the Yankees have made the World series in his life where Jaguars are good, I mean, it's as bizarro world. I'm like, this is not how it's supposed to be off with the Jaguar. That's our one New York team. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah no. And you're a Jets fan, so you understand what it's like to have it and the JA. The Jaguars are not a storied franchise, but to my son, he's like, hey, thirteen wins last year.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of our son, Brock, our seven year old, I decided last week that I was going to binge watch the Amazon with Brock.
Speaker 3: Okay and my four year old daughter.
Speaker 4: Yes, now I know you first as a podcaster and second as.
Speaker 3: Had you seen it before?
Speaker 4: So I was a casual fan of Survivor for a long time until I was a little older, maybe you know, college, and so I think I had seen it or parts of it, but I didn't. It wasn't it wasn't Ludo into my mind, and so I chose. I thought he loves listening to you sometimes he falls asleep with me to your podcast, that he would love to see your your your season.
Speaker 2: I regret it.
Speaker 3: Are allowed to watch it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Great, were older.
Speaker 4: I immediately regretted the decision. In fact, I have an idea for you for a podcast, which is to do the top five seasons that are the worst to watch with your young children, to rank, to rank which seasons have the most content that should not be seen by family friendly.
Speaker 3: Well, if I could give you some backstory, and uh, it was two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: Unity was big. Janet Jackson was doing the Super Bowl half people.
Speaker 3: We're going to see American Pie in the movie theater. I saw an article this morning that gen Z has watched that movie and they're like, wait what Yeah, And that was a little bit my kids had asked to watch. They said, Dad, did you ever win the Immunity Challenge? And I said, yes, yes I I I actually did. Let's pull up the Paramount plus and I put it on and the first thing they said was wait, hold on, it's a quiz, Like yes, I didn't make the questions that's what it is. It was a quiz like Big Brother. And then the first question that they asked like who in the tribe do you have a crush? Why are they talking about this?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then they asked, who would you like to see pose nude in a magazine? Yes, and they were they were And they told my wife immediately, and she was incensed.
Speaker 1: We Hatch gets all the l you would think just that he's the only person who was never naked on the show. He's obviou people wonder is it that or what is it that's causing him to be kind of shunned by the By the show this point, now everyone was. It felt like back then there was a lot of nudity, it was not Hatch specific. I think the most recent per to go partially nude on camera, I forget she was in the season and thirties and she went only bottom liss. Do you remember this woman? It was what was it again? Charene? And I think that was probably the last one that I remember.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I think that there's like some not so fun reasons for that. I think that there was a time and a place where nudity was just like, hey, these people are surviving. These people are just trying to get by out there, and this is what happens, and we blur it. And I think that the show felt like that that was a feature, not a bug of Survivor. But I think that as Survivor has matured, I think that they were gotten out of the era of what if there was just in their underwear all the time? I think that they like that, but now I think that they want to give the contestants some modesty. I think that they feel like, in some ways Survivor is a workplace and they want to actually frown upon people being naked in front of the other contestants.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I just with the suffering with like, like none of it's necessary to me.
Speaker 2: It's like not why I watch Survivor, you know, I watch it.
Speaker 3: For the srategy though.
Speaker 1: To go back, whether it's movies, reality TV, I love getting a snapshot because it reminds you that we're not like as a as a society, we like you said, mature things go out of style and I don't go back and watch this stuff and go, oh I should feel differently about that person. I go, I guess that's how it wasn't two thousand.
Speaker 4: But do you find for you, like as people like me who got to know you first as a podcaster and obviously like you know you you have a certain type of audience and you are very thoughtful about how you I mean, I love oh No, I loved you on the show, and I loved you in the podcast. But do you find that people view you differently whether they got to know you first as Rob the podcaster versus Rob the contestant.
Speaker 3: So I think that it could be jarring to go back and watch it in the order where you sort of know me now from the podcast, and then to go back and see what was going on then, And I would I would say that also there's like a passage of time. I'm also twenty three years older than I was then.
Speaker 4: I don't think you came across badly. I thought you were a great character. I thought you were very smart and fun and you know, all good things. It's just a different Rob than I'm used to listening for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's so funny because between the book and Traders, I feel like in comingy of you disagree. But in the last year there's been a lot more like hyperbole about you as a player than usual because usually obviously it's a podcast and things like that, but going to play on Traders as a survivor rep right of course. And then you know, as Steven describes you in the book, and so much is about like, you know, best, one of the best players to ever win, one of the fort super fans this on and the other. And the thing that comes through watching you on the show that to me is that it's so funny is that you first and foremost seem like a twenty three year old single guy who's on an island with men and women, and and like seeing that snapshot of you, I think is so interesting because it's great that the things that followed you are like the social game, the strategy is best player everyone and none of that stuff because people having heard you every day on a podcast, you have like, like you said, matured and things like that, and that luckily that reputation didn't precede you.
Speaker 3: Well. It was a men versus women season and really my casting to get on one of the shows was I would talk about how like, hey, I live in my parents' basement. I can't get a date, and I'm hoping that if I go on one of these shows, then you know there's only going to be like eight guys there. So I have a decent shot to meet somebody if you put me on the show. And so that they were looking for that more so than hey, wow, this guy really knows his stuff when it comes to So that was my calling card to get onto Survivor, and it was certainly like what the producers were looking for in casting me on the show. All the rest of the stuff, I don't think that they necessarily knew that they were getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well, and to go back to you being one of the first super fans, you know, it's kind of like because I would say the Challenge all these super fans want to be on the show, and I go, do not even tell me you like the show, because they don't want that. The Challenge wants it to feel like we are superheroes doing this cool thing that you guys watching cannot do. I think Big Brother is probably the first show to kind of embrace a superfan, but Survivor I think probably learn to embrace it because they cast some of you guys by accident right coorse through osmosis, you guys became more fans of the show by having played on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I talk about in the book that really I think Cochran is the person that really broke the mold. Where Cochrane plays in season twenty three, he wins in season twenty six, and I think that they are going to then all through into the thirties be looking for more Cochrane types, who are people who really know the game, who are narrators, who can make metaphors at tribal Council, and to get to the point where Jeff takes over the casting by the end of the thirties and now we're in a point with Survivor it would be insane if you weren't a super fan to be on the show. Every single person who plays Survivor now it would be wild if that person they found a person who hasn't seen twenty seasons of the show, that they're all so in the weeds about everything, and so I think that you need a balance. I think that it would be good. Yeah, we've gone We've totally reversed it from where that we had an era of Survivor. We had macters and so it was like people who didn't even know what Survivor was, who were here to the point where they know everything, and they all play very similarly, a very conservative play style where they're just sort of like trying to stay out of being the main focus, where the tallest poppy gets picked off. And I think that that's really bled into the gameplay in the new era, and I think it's something that the show is really trying to wrestle with.
Speaker 1: I heard I forgot I was on your podcast or might have been Tyson to somebody who said if they could find a way to do a season where literally like almost do a jury duty style where you tell people that are you know, trying to get something on something else? But one of the throwaway questions is have you ever seen Survivor? And you only cast from the people who have literally never seen it. We somehow got that type of season. I don't know that we need to go that far, you know, but I think for super fans to be able to stand out, it can't be twenty of them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, season they talk about Matthew talks about how you basically teach him the game as you're going, like he learns the game of Survivor from playing with.
Speaker 3: You, and he was somebody who was there for an adventure more so, and you would not have that anymore. In the modern day Survivor. People are there and they're looking for people who are there for the experience. But I think that the cost of admission is that you have to be a like, really a fanatical Survivor fan.
Speaker 4: So here's a casting question for you. So as an iconic rob who has played with another iconic rob several yes, yes, And I think you know, we just got done with forty nine where they're just a sofan a Sophie. Do you think that Survivor needs to diversify their name per season a little bit and not even one name for a season in general, Like should should they be casting like a Louisa? Because just because there hasn't been a Louisa on Survivor it.
Speaker 3: Is wild where you have they do two seasons a year, so it is crazy that they do ever put two people on the same season, so many names in the way, like with sof and with the two selfies, you know, I guess season fifty was coming up and me they felt like, okay, this is our last chance to be able to bring it, to bring the two selfies on. We don't want to wait till season fifty one, but you would think that they could wait.
Speaker 1: And they had to. I think self, SOPHI fi one of them yet season Like, I think that's when when you have people who we talk about all the time, whether the last name, is it like a badge of honor, like you know, like I believe Devon's famously asked to be can you call me devns, don't call me wreck? He kind of was was very forward with it. And then eventually as people played time and time again, you'll He'll throw in a HUBICKI, You'll throw in whatever. But I think, just what can one of them go by their middle name like a teacher on Facebook?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was mad when I remember when there was a Lindsay cast in the in the in the forties. I was like, oh, that means like my chances are like they've they've gone out and like and then like the next season there was a Lens again, and then and I realized, like, oh, it's it doesn't matter at all whether there's been someone by your name on the show.
Speaker 1: I wanted, this is Lindsay's least favorite subject when we do Survivor Mania. But I'm fascinated by it because I someone who is plugged into the Internet of the world. I love when there's a kind of a tail of two shows. Right. So the reason we had to kind we kind of fell off Big Brother is that I found the tail of two shows to be too different. Yeah, the show that CBS was showing you, and then you had the show that the live feed Internet wanted you to believe, which is that these people are terrible people and they're bullying and this and that whatever, and I but on the show, the guy's the hero whatever. And then that obviously came to a head when the guy won and Julie blindsided him about everyone thinking he was racist and he literally had no idea because he's been living in a fish bowl and nobody told him. With Survivor, I have found that obviously, you know it, it's hard to please everybody with casting decisions and things like that. Everybody hates Jeff now, fine. But the one thing I think that's definitely evolved is how a certain level of the Internet fandom are very passionate about people's real life politics and whether that prevents them from being able to root for them on the show. So it doesn't matter if you played a good game on the show. If people are able to google that you vote a Republican or something like that, they decide that A they don't like you, B they don't want to see you on the show, and this should in turn effect whether you can win the show. How do you feel about that? I feel like you obviously you do such a good job either you know, not touching on any of this stuff or.
Speaker 4: Not not talking about this, and we're going to force you to talk about Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: But no, I'd love to know it. Do you have thoughts on it? Because again you do, you almost never share them. And I know that's because the next day you might be interviewing one of these people or things like that. And I know that your your listeners in particular, are you know, do skew? I think, you know, very liberal as we do. That's the other thing is like I'm not coming at it from some what one answer or the other. I just find it's like I would love to just be able to say that guy kicked ass on Survivor. And you know whether or not, I with every other thing he thinks about. Some of my favorite players from the past. Probably we disagree on almost every other thing. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question. And of course, you know, politics affects every aspect of our lives. And I think that what I try to do in terms of bringing people together is I feel like that as soon as you start to get into this year're going to lose some people and other people are like, can I get a break from this? It's so everywhere? And I also respect beinion. Hey, that's a very privileged take to not like, my whole life is politics, you know, and that must be nice for you to not have to talk about this all the time. But I think that what people come to us for that there's so much of that that's out there. I think people are looking to us to break down the game, talk about what's happening, and they're certainly like in season fifty, you know, it certainly was talked about where there were some players that had a alliance that might have been somewhat politically.
Speaker 1: You know, we're cut from the same cloth.
Speaker 3: Cut from the same cloth, is like, there's an interpretation of that, and so people don't obviously like that. But I feel like that when you are out there, I don't think that politics is a big topic of conversation amongst the players, maybe like the most the people who are maybe the least self aware might be talking about politics that are out there. But I think that the people who go into these games that they have this experience together, and I think that it's different than what you experience in the real world, where we're very tribal and everybody wants to stick with people who they're politically aligned with. But I think that there's a lot of friendships that happen in the world of Survivor where people who are on opposite polar.
Speaker 1: Opposite great about the show, you know.
Speaker 3: Nick Wilson, Mike Whider friends that I went to the Survivor finale and Zeke was with Sarah Lasina. You know that people, I think that who have gone through this experience sometimes become There are friendships that are made, and it's not really explored as much in the show about the people who are able to come together who have different political views. But I do think that it is something that is cool about Survivor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned Nick Wilson. I feel like like that's a favorite season of ours. I thought he was a great winner for that season. Obviously, I think it's so funny. I remember watching the show and hearing he was like a public defender, and I was like, oh, so I made all these assumptions about him, and then of course he gets elected to office and he's the one example where he literally works in politics. So if you're telling me you can't separate that, I get it, But like, does it need to take away from the game and the win? Similar with Gabler, I think a lot of people, And then to go back to the Jonathan of it all, I just feel like so many people have just decided, hey, we are never going to root for this guy from a fall that I feel like I was watching people watch this season getting mad at how much he was featured and ultimately how good of a game he was playing just because Eliza told him not to like him, and I just like, I think that that's something where in real life I'm totally cool with it. But we're watching a show where lying is okay, stealing out of someone's bag is okay, not giving someone your jacket when they're cold is okay. This is not This is not the place I think to decide whether someone needs to be, you know, the person that you'd like in your office or whatever. I just I mean, that's just how I feel about So I'm glad you were able to share your thoughts.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's just such a big part of our world and we everybody like puts the laundry on and it's for their team and doesn't necessarily want to root for somebody from the other side. But I do feel like that hopefully, you know, reality TV, we are able to get to know the people a little bit more and that we can have more conversations with people who don't necessarily agree with us on everything.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you get the pressure from your listeners to give context sometimes that you feel like, you know, maybe isn't steering things in and then the right direction.
Speaker 3: I think at times there is a little bit of pressure, but I I don't know if people necessarily, I personally don't feel a ton of pressure to, you know, talk about something that there's so many people who are doing that. People know what's up almost innately, and there's so much social media conversation around this, so I don't think that anybody is really coming to me to help explain what's going on.
Speaker 1: So a big topic to go back to everybody hating Jeff. Is they everyone thinks.
Speaker 2: I don't hate Jeff, No, but a lot I would.
Speaker 1: Say, would you say that the public opinion of Jeff from The Survivor super fan is probably at an all time low approval rating if you had to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jeff gets piled on a lot, and I think that sometimes he leans into it with his chin. I think that he could definitely be doing a better job in.
Speaker 2: Terms of my wrath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah for a few yeah, but yeah, he does own the whole. We're not gonna we're not gonna cast quote unquote bad people, true villains. Like the first twenty five seasons were like they literally cast John Rocker. Okay, they cast a guy who is famous for here in New York City saying some of the most racist things ever and now he has and yeah, homophobic, all this stuff, and that's why they cast him. And they were secretly hoping someone would discover him on the island and own him like Natalie did. And it worked out pretty perfectly. By the same token. I remember watching the season because I think it was a blood versus water, so I think he played with his wife. I believe you go from it and no girlfriend and I believe there were moments where I was able to say, man, I know I hate this guy, but you know, didn't hate what he did there, or that was an interesting move, or I wonder what's gonna happen here, And at the time I remember thinking, oh, this is this is interesting that they put him into this this you know whatever, He's not doing that anymore. Right that being said, the same viewers that are upset that were And I don't think John Rocker is the villain that people want. Took to me wrong. It was just an example of how far they went with it.
Speaker 3: He might be.
Speaker 1: But the but the I think I think people who say we want villains again want the the Russell Hans's of the world. Yeah right, And I think that what's kind of hypocritical is that you guys are from Afart villainizing the good guy, like like I think other than politics, it's like Jonathan, I think is like a pretty good guy, right, or like Chrissy I think, I mean, just like the first thing I heard is that you just like recovering from cancer. And this is that I move online saying like I can't vote for Christy because this is whatever I just found her voting record. So do you think it's hypocritical to both want that the long for those those kind of characters, you know that, but also you know, want to be able to draw the line of what little thing in their real life villainizes them to use.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I think that there's a few different issues there in terms of Jeff and the villains. Back in the day, I think that Survivor was looking for more of like the Russell Hans Ol Morosa, Johnny Fairplay types to come in who were really going to embrace being the villain. Jeff does not want to find those people. He's looking for eighteen twenty people. He wants heroes versus heroes where we understand the motivations for why not to say that people aren't going to make villainous moves like a Jesse might do, but that we're going to understand the motivations for why they're doing it. They're not doing it because that they get off on being a bad guy on TV that they don't like. They don't like that type person.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's forced the fandom because they're going to pick their people they don't like anyway. And I just remember saying how meaning the Internet was to Eva and Mitch, and I'm like, give them a villain. You know, that's the.
Speaker 3: Fair point in terms of like you might end up not having that as much, where if you had some people who really were the lightning rods of like, hey, I want that, I want the smoke that maybe people end up like looking more towards that politics.
Speaker 1: It can be oh, you're playing too boring of a game, or they're featuring you too much, or we're getting too much much sob story, you know, the whole thing that everyone loves, the big story, like with Joe and Eva or like you know, and I just think that people wouldn't root against that stuff if they had more obvious things to root against, like give me just like a mustache twirling captain, a villain, I mean, Johnny Fairplay. I mean, like, you know, maybe it maybe it needs to be updated for twenty twenty six, But somebody who comes in with that kind of a mindset I think wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever heard that take before that that that if we had somebody who was leaning into it a little bit more than maybe it would be easier on the other contestants because people people watch.
Speaker 2: Reality too like she was.
Speaker 4: She was billed as a villain to a lot of people, and like the worst that she did, you know, it's just like a personality. Like the worst that she did was like be confident in herself and you know, and and.
Speaker 3: I tried to take the keys from when and see was opening the locks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just say.
Speaker 4: People, when people would talk about, you know, why they didn't like her, I would I would say, like, okay, so like tell tell me what she did.
Speaker 2: Tell me the thing. No, it's a feeling. It's a feeling. I get, you know.
Speaker 4: She she's like those mean girls that I well, but what is it that she did that was mean?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 1: Why say? In real life, I always say the worst thing you do will be treated like the worst thing you've ever done. Right, So, if you're like a great husband, but like one day you forgot to do the dishes, or one day you stayed out later, or your fantasy draft this site's going to really yeah, it's going to be treated like the worst thing you've ever done. People watch reality TV to root for some people and against others, and if you don't give them like easy to root against people. They will find, like, you know, really really petty things to root against people for, you know, I just don't like the way she looks, or you know, or you know, he didn't make a move long, you know, for too long.
Speaker 3: And I also say that I think that part of the issue is also the algorithms really amplify the people who have the most emotionally charge things to say, and I think that those takes get really amplified, and so it feels like that there are more and more people that have those same sentiments, when maybe it might be you know, a few thousand people, but I'm sure it feels like millions of people have that same opinion.
Speaker 1: You obviously played Survivor long ago, so you don't have firsthand experience about how they're doing it these days, although you talk to everybody who does. And then you just got a first hand look at Traders. What can Survivor or even Big Brother other shows learn from Traders that they're doing being something that just entered the fold. Now, there's so many things I think they do well from afar, but having experienced production wise, scheduleized things like that, so I think that something that.
Speaker 3: Traders does really really well, is the roundtable is really about a place where people bring their conflict with each other out into the open and there's an open discussion. There's no subtrifuge of hey Scott, can you explain to me what you were thinking when? Like why were you doing this? Xyz? And the Traders are being shady, but everybody else, I think is being probably pretty cards up during those conversations. At Survivor, I think sometimes is so conflict averse, and I think that Traders really leans into that a lot more of they want there to be shouting matches and the airing of the grievances, where at tribal council everybody is like very poker face, speaking in metaphor. I'm not revealing what's going on, and then we reveal our votes, and then somebody goes home and we got you, And even then we don't have at the we don't have a real reunion where we really have let's talk about the conflict that was what was really going on there where. I think that Survivor wants everything to be so it's an era of sportsmanship on Survivor, and I think that that's nice, especially when there's such a lack of sportsmanship in many other parts of our world. But I think that when we tune to to reality TV, when we come to watch a reality show, I think we're okay, we want to see a little conflict.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned they don't look at the reunion just just on a selfish note. We don't even get the question of hey, who here would have voted for Rizzo, or we don't even get any to resolve the kind of what ifs, and then the conflict wise, you know, I remember there was an issue I think it was maybe six seasons ago someone went, I believe your podcast said too much about some conflicts that we weren't even privy to on the show, which, again for us as listeners, is crack because it's like we're finally getting some conflict and instead of leaning into it, they like then shut it down and like had to shorten the interviews in future seasons. You know, So what, like, what what is it about? I mean reality TV was built on conflict. Survivor invented it more or less? Like what is it about just hearing stories about stuff that actually happened that puts the fear of God in them to where they literally want to silence people to the degree they do.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that Survivor has gotten a lot of it's not even bad press, but they don't like controversy. And I think that Survivor's feeling on is that there's not twenty four different versions of what happens. We showed you the version we told that. Our version of what happened is the version of record, and we're not really interested in there being twenty four different accounts of what happened or what anybody deemed was unfair in terms of how it went. And so I think that they really try to do a lot to keep the story consistent of what happened on the show. And I think that for whatever reason from people then going back through twenty five years of the show, actually it wasn't right that this happened. This wasn't right. I just think that they want to try to get ahead of that as much as possible and keep those different firestorms from flaring out.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure we talk a little bit today about your podcast empire as a whole, and what you've been able to build and how that's influenced my husband and my life and turn and you know, you start off as a Survivor podcaster and you have diversified so much in what you're covering. Is there sort of a limit do you see to like how.
Speaker 1: I decide to cover Paradise but not the challenge.
Speaker 4: Like where is the limit for you when you're so diversified and what you cover?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a good question in terms of where do we focus our attention and my attention. And it's something that I've had to really come to terms with as I've gotten older and I want to spend more time not podcasting. I mean, I could podcast about everything, but there needs to be like a work life balance where I don't burn out.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: I think that there was a point when I wanted to try to be as wide as possible and try to cover as many different things. Now I feel like I'm a little bit more specialized in terms of covering shows deeply rather than as many different shows as possible. I am watching Love Island this summer and I'm really I'm loving it so much. It's been so it's been so much fun. But Survivor isn't on Big Brothers not on, so I think that I can look at one or two things at a time. I think that for me with the Challenge and you know, we have Challenge podcasts with Ali and Brian from you know, twenty fourteen. I think it was when they started doing that on R.
Speaker 1: E j P.
Speaker 3: But there's so much lore there for me to get up to speed on everything. It's just like it would be. I think it'd be tough a lot of times. It's on at the same time as Survivor.
Speaker 1: Also did a little Challenge USA when they did rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of those were on during the summer, I think when there was just only Big Brother going on. So, you know, I've dabbled a little bit and something like Paradise was just like.
Speaker 1: That you talk about.
Speaker 3: I was just watching the show context. I'm watching the show and I have I'm watching it anyway and I feel like I have takes, so let me find Luckily Chappelle humored me enough to do the podcast with me every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember you had Kylon and he was really into it. And I remember you used to cover Succession, which we were big succession people saw game. I love that you still do stuff like that.
Speaker 3: We tried to do more scripted content and we really at one point were really all in on scripted shows. But it just proved that there's there's so many people. And you know, yourself is a great example where that you're you're already here, you're doing the thing, and and and there's a podcast network for almost every other thing, and it's very hard for us to try to do Game of Thrones better than the people.
Speaker 2: And he just humors me with the Survivor padcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, no, I hear you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think in the early days of podcasting that there weren't as many podcasts, but now there is like a specialized podcast for almost every single thing. So what's our value add that we can do a certain shows podcast better than the people who do it three hundred five days out of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, I think such a great sign of of like what you guys deliver so well is you know it's on the spot Survivor's over. I'm running. I don't even want to wait till the audio goes up. So I'm watching the live Twitter of you and fishback talk and people want that immediate gratification. You guys cover all these, like you said, certain shows so well, so fully. You have such a diverse staff of other podcasters who are covering other things euphoria, this, we know, this, you you know, and so you do all that and you do it from your apartment or your house and things like that. Here we are in this gorgeous Gotham production studio in New York City.
Speaker 4: When when I first walked into this room, I feel like we specified it for you.
Speaker 1: We have felt pressured over the past couple of years as more people have crowded the podcast base and done so in a way that you know, looks like a studio talk show. When I fell in love with podcasting as a listener of your show, before I even started doing it, it was mainly audio, which is the barrier of entry is very easy. All you needed was a mic and a podbeing account and you can get going and seeing if you can get traction. Now the barrier of entry is, you know, if you don't look like the Traders reunion, good luck. And it's obviously a decision we were able to make because we're doing well enough. But it's something that, yeah, if I could go back in time and still do it from my closet with a headset mic on, I would You guys obviously have gorgeous video, and you're doing streaming and things like that, but like, how have you seen You're been doing podcasting for so long. It started as a competitor radio and then involved into video, but sort of as a luxury you watch if you want, but you can still listen. And now when people Escavation start a podcast today, I'm like, well, I don't know, can you afford to book a you know, a crew in studio and things like that? When you watch that from afar, seeing silly people like us with all the bells and whistles and doing things like this, what say you? I mean, you do so much already. I think it'd be hard to not do it from the comfort of your home. But when you see the Ringers of the world on Netflix and this and that and everything is video and clips and things, just as the podcast professionally been for so long, what do you think about the next few years of podcasting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great setup for where we're at. I think that video has become a big deal in terms of the long form video, and I think the YouTube does a lot to help get the episodes in front of more people and into related views. But I think that the clips have also become a really big deal, where you have most people who are experiencing the show might be experiencing it from the clips, and more people are seeing the clips, then ultimately you're listening to the long form episodes. But you can't do away with the long form. There's still people who that they are listeners first. And so I know, for myself, there's a lot of podcasts that I listen to on my you know, on my podcast, and I don't have the chance to do to be watching the video for things. So I think that there's just say, it's an evolution in terms of this, I don't necessarily see podcasting as like a first screen experience, but I do think that it's the type of thing where you're, you know, you have your show that's on on the main screen or sports, and then I think that even the video on podcasting is still a second screen experience where I'm you know, on going scrolling through reels or like maybe have the iPad on the counter, but I'm actually doing something else, And so I think it's important to have. I think you want to be in as many places as possible, But I think it's shifting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree and the clips. It's funny. I've I've had to like explain this to Derek. I'm like, we have two audiences. We have the people who discovered us when whether they're listening to us or even watching the whole episode. And then we have you know, again like exponentially more like sometimes one hundred thousand people that will see us say this now ninety second thing, and if we can get one percent of them to go and listen to or watch our thing or come to our show, great, but we have to assume we won't. Like that is also a new audience where we are doing minute by minute shows for these people in clip form, the same way mister Beast is creating reality show seasons in twenty minute YouTube video form that are like, you know, our kids generation and beyond anyone pretty much twenty five years or younger. How do you even get them to fall in love with a twenty two episode, twenty two week reality TV experience when they're getting that and Jesse's son is winning more than any survivor winner ever. You know, he's twelve years old and he's doing it in twenty minutes. And then you can have breakfast, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he probably won more than anybody in a like in terms of like time for per dollar.
Speaker 1: I think that well, he literally won. I think we want half a five hundred thousand dollars a week before taxes, which is more than any at least challenge winner other than I think three seasons. He's won more than that when he was twelve years old. So I mean, that's it's amazing, but real quick because we got to run. So much was made of the celebrities who made cameos on Survivor this season. Not enough was made about you interviewsing celebrities into your podcast guests. How did that come about and were you impressed by how many celebrities are Survivor superfans and what was one interview that stood out to you?
Speaker 3: So it was really fun to have so much excitement around Survivor where people who had been bigger Survivor fans were sort of like in the in the weeds. We were able to reach out to them and got them give them the chance to talk about the show, and a lot of that came through outreach from us and Brandon Donlin did a really good job of sliding into dms of people who were talking about Survivor. Also, my co writer on the book, Alex Kabutski is a comedy writer and so he has had.
Speaker 1: A lot of comedians. Paul Sheer was on right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The one that really at the end of the season really took a lot of people by storm was Brendan Lee Mulligan, who does drop back out and yeah, and people were just like over the moon and then he came on and he just really killed it.
Speaker 1: A couple more rapid fire here. This is from a listener. Jeff Christie wants, you know, what's the one thing you still have yet to accomplish that you're waiting to add to the to the Rob has a bucket list.
Speaker 3: I'd love to try to create a reality game. I think that we have had so much conversation over the years of what works and what doesn't work. I feel like that that would be like a literally evolution on.
Speaker 4: The on the like walking out the door today with Scott, because Scott has some really good idea. You know, he started off in producing reality and he has some really amazing ideas that I won't have him reveal here, but I was like, you know you and Rob needs to you and Rob need to come up and produce a show together, a reality show together, and he was like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think he was like that, no, no, no, want me and the meaning himself long and I always kind of have one foot in the development pool trying to get things going. And it is impossible.
Speaker 4: You're the perfect person to develop a show with because you've you've just been studying it. In fact, I was like wondering on Traders, how hard it was for you not to like give suggestions on you know, how we can adjust some suggestions for the game rules or whatnot. But I just think, I mean, you've you've studied it for so long, like you know, so you two. I'm going to say it was going to be just something I said to him on the walk since you went there.
Speaker 1: But that is a great bucket the show and then and then it can be Rob has a as a reality show dot com. So a couple of things. One of my favorite subjects is this Adam klein Uh business he has casting people or helping people get cast, not just on Survivor but other shows. And how much Survivor and Jeff Probe seemingly dislike this. What is it about it that you think bothers them so much. Which is it the fact that there's a code that someone is able to crack. I mean, I feel like he's a feeder system for them.
Speaker 3: I think that they look at it of like, hey, they're not going to like you, but here's how you trindiculate to be able to It's almost like if you go to like some dating coach that and I think that Adam will tell you, Yeah, I'm like a dating coach and I'm going to tell you like the ways to bring out the best parts of your personality. But I think that they look at it. He's sort of like a guy who is like working on like, Okay, here's the pickup lines to say, that's gonna definitely you know, get you the phone number. And so I think that they don't like that.
Speaker 1: I think it was Christian and I forget it was Adam who helped him with this, but he said he had auditioned so many times or sending so many taps, and he made one adjustment, which is instead of opening on the way he opened, he opened with like himself doing something and stuff like that. And to me, that is just if there is quote unquote like a formula or a code to delivering your story. It's not like he's greasing somebody to cast Caleb or whatever. Like literally, what he's doing is he's bettering the delivery system. You're still gonna go through five more rounds and they're gonna have to meet Jeff and this, that and the other thing. So I honestly think he's sort of an unpaid scout for them, like I don't know, not by them. Obviously, he's getting paid by the individuals. But so I think I wonder if that's something that will age well, and they will, they will sort of come around on that. I wish Adam would lean into it a little more. I told him, I said, you should have a podcast where you're talking about casting decisions from AFAR so you can just be more widely known as the casting guru, you know, because I think now it looks like you're just a player who thinks you crack the code of this one show. I think the unwritten thing and the people that don't know is that you're getting people cast for all these other shows and it's not a survivor specific thing. It's you're basically like a video dating coach. Anyway, all right, Okay, big problem we have this year. I mean, the Challenge is littered with spoilers. Survivor is always so good at curving that I choose to in this in the Challenge world. Sadly, I kind of have to keep one foot in the spoiler pool because I feel responsible for policing all of our comment threads, all of our pages. Someone's writing in a question, they're trying to be cute, and what they are is trying to ruin the season for everyone. I have to kind of be able to snuff it out and delete it. And then also it's nice to be able to plan ahead a little bit. But even if I didn't want to do that, the spoilers are so rampant. Survivors never had this problem cut to this year. Polymarket Calshi, where they're not technically spoilers, but if you follow the money in wherever all the money's going, it's indirectly as when the results came out proven that they're were spoils. Was this season particularly hard for you to avoid that stuff where people presenting that information to you as if it was just something nice to share with you, not knowing that they were indirectly.
Speaker 3: So I largely was able to avoid it until as we got very close to the end of the season. It was kind of everywhere and very hard not to see it. I remember at the beginning of the season that I had done some a lot of press people were A reporter said like, hey, I want to ask you about the account. I'm like, hey, I don't want to know about what whatever's going on there. I think it's wrong that these companies are doing this, That you are having betting on something that has already happened, You're inviting this insider trading to happen. I frankly, I don't think they care. I don't think they They allowed you.
Speaker 1: They allowed people to take bets the other day on whether an alien invasion would happen during a soccer game because one random i think Brazilian fan said she had a prophecy that an alien spaceship was going to come down, and they took money on, like, hey, there's a one percent chance that's going to happen. If you want to bet a million dollars to win one hundred dollars, we'll let you do it. That's how low the bar is for this stuff.
Speaker 3: But you know what, that there was a chance aliens were going to happen. It was yeah, it wasn't like are aliens going to show up in disclosure day?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: So I think that it also is like beyond that, I think that not only would do they take bets, I think that also with social media. I had a lot of people tell me that there there were like they were like running targeted ads to Survivor fans, So you would go on to social media and then in your social media feed that they would be hey, look did you see that this? And it's like like, come look at it. So they really were trying to then market off of the insider trading that was happening on survill And I.
Speaker 1: Think I read it was like something like thirty or fifty million dollars was traded specifically on Survivor. Some of those people won, a lot of those people lost. It doesn't matter, you know what I mean. And that's just again to go back to the chatter and the talking about it. They take bets on whether some a dictator is going to be you know, kidnapped or whatever. Like all this stuff is basically meant for insider trading, Like the the idea that anyone would bet a sizeable amount on something they didn't know with a little bit of insider info or it's been taped. Is just you know, So is there a solve other than they flat out stopped taking the bets?
Speaker 3: The problem is I think that you would look to politicians to fix it, and I think that a lot of the politicians that you would need to fix this are also know that they are somehow connected to it, so it seems rather bleak and helpless. I think that the only thing that people can do is really speak up about something like this.
Speaker 1: I think the real thing that's going to suffer is those drafts and everything like that. I used to be have to go like the depths of Reddit to try to cheat, and now it's like front page if you want it, or you can even talk yourself into Oh I was just doing research because like we'll do our draft.
Speaker 2: Oh do you remember the Bachelor draft we did?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, well, because that show has always been that.
Speaker 2: Was such a well because we were doing it.
Speaker 4: We were doing it like with friends, you know, and then like someone invited their sister in law or something who didn't have the same sense of like, oh, we're all friends. Who cares whether I win or lose. The twenties, she was reality. She was like getting it right, and we're like, yeah, this isn't fun anymore.
Speaker 1: But she thinks that she if I go and I see who you guys drafted, and I'll be like, oh, Asia drafted it, I'm gonna go in first overall with that, and she's like, that's too much research for art. She'd think that's you even think that's not a no.
Speaker 3: I listen.
Speaker 4: I listened to podcasts or people making addictions beforehand.
Speaker 1: You are such a busy man. Were a thrill that you spend some time with us today. The Tribe and I have spoken in hardcover. Is there going to be a soft cover edition at some point as well?
Speaker 3: Or you know, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 3: It is an audiobook. Oh did you do the audio audio booky?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, so if you need more of Rob's voice, which you can already get and.
Speaker 3: I got to do a lot of impressions in the audiobook a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, by the way, I found I think it was actually you had Adam Klein on and you were talking about how something that's sort of gone the way of the Dodo bird is being able to do any impression that now you've probably got a couple in the chamber that you just don't even feel culturally okay with doing because you feel like, is it worth it? I do a really good jam jam, but ah do I want to I'm not going to do it right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done it. I have done it. I do a lot of times. I will still do it, but I pause, I pause, and I think, should I do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right? Exactly whereas back in the day American pie, that general, I mean, it was just do the impression? Yeah, all right, Well we need to bring back doing impressions cause I think, what is it? A imitation? Is this serious form of flattery? It is very flattering that you joined us here today. Pick up the book. Everybody the Tribe and I Have Spoken. Rob has a website dot com. He covers every reality show under the sun, and then the one he doesn't that he allows Ali and Brian to cover. We cover as well here with the challenge. But this is the first ever in person survivormania we have done.
Speaker 4: I'm always trying to get them to do more, but he just likes you a lot, and he doesn't want to wait.
Speaker 1: They do it so well. It's like I got the podcast. Bryce and Wendell have the party thing unlocked. They doing parties in different cities.
Speaker 4: I tried to get to do a Survivor Remania live this season.
Speaker 2: It wasn't happening.
Speaker 1: My bright baby boy, Bryce has it. By the way, when I saw Jeff Probes, I went to his book signing and I used my one minute with him to say.
Speaker 6: Can I give you a casting idea? And he goes, what is it? Can I give you a casting idea? And he goes, what is it?
Speaker 1: I said, Bryce Isaiah I would say. He started pondering, and I go, I know, early boot. He goes, no, it's not the early boot. I go, but dude, he's had such a journey. Everybody loves him so popular. Give it a thought. He said, all right, well, but he said it's not the early boot of it. I wonder what it is like. Okay, last question. Do you think that you can become too much of a part of the Survivor culture and world to get eventually called back to do the show?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is Bryce too much of a now a like Survivor personality to get brought back to do the show? Because what reason do you think they wouldn't bring back of Bryce.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine what, and I don't think that that could be a thing, So yeah, I can't imagine what. The second part of that was. Yeah, I wish you didn't cut him off.
Speaker 1: I know, well, it's not that I cut him off. He was just like pondering in. I didn't think he was going to tell me. I just thought he was like thinking of something. So I was like, is these the words you're thinking of it? He's like, it's not that. But that's so now I don't know what what Bryce. I don't know what you did to Jeff, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't very nice that you use your one minute with Jeff to vouch for Bryce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I feel like I to me, he is a layup of a casting choice. Well, she was like, why don't you pitch me? I'm like, people pitch their wife. Come on, Well, and I said, you got to get with mister Klein, by the way, if you really want to do with the right now.
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Rob, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys know where to find them, and you guys know where to find us and pick up the book the Tribe and I have spoken. All Right, guys, this sends your time here on Challenge Mania. Take care of yourselves and hopefully we'll see in the future. Did you enjoy that episode of Challenge Mania. Make sure you are subscribed to or following Challenge Mania on your podcast player of choice, whether it's Apple Podcasts, Spotify, you name it. In addition, if you want more Challenge Mania, go to challengemaniacs dot com. Join the pod Squad and you get full video of all of our episodes and interviews. You get one bonus podcast a week where we break down each episode of the challenge and you get all of our podcasts early and ad free audio wise. Trust me, it's the best way to stay plugged in with Challenge Mania on news, announcements and pre sales, and trust me, we make it worth your while. Join the Podsquad at challengemaniacs dot com today, and if you want to see us live on the road, head to Challenge me any A dot Live, where you can get tickets to a Challenge mani a live show near you.
Speaker 5: MHM