Speaker 1: It is the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Thank you for hanging out with us today. So many different things to talk about. We got so much on our plates, and of course this is the home of Dallas Mavericks Basketball ninety seven point one The Eagle. We'll talk about the game in Memphis tomorrow. More tomorrow, we'll get into all that. This segment right here is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works. That's the brewery in Salina, Texas that Ben and I are partners in. And Ben, I'm so excited for the Sumo crawl that is going down in the prosperous Aalana area Saturday night to get us ready for the big sumo event that's happening happening next weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm so proud to be a part of Rollertown. You and I obviously investors in that brewery, and that brewery sponsors this segment. But things like you know, releasing a Japanese lagger and reaching out to the Japanese embassy here to find out culturally appropriate ways to celebrate Japanese culture and Louve celebrating this new beer is so cool and so yeah, We've been hosting the sumo tournament at Rollertown now for a couple of years. People flying from all over the world to be here at this proper sumo tournament. So we thought, it's not this weekend, it's the following weekend. So this weekend we reached out to Corey of the Dallas Sumo Club and said, hey, what if we rented a limo bus from Alba Limousines and packed a bunch of sumo wrestlers in it, and Skin and I went on a little pub crawl at four of the bars and restaurants that support us around the Prosperous Lina area. So we're going to Mike Pettis's Gin on Broadway and prosper Then we're gonna go down to the Tavern on Broadway, which is an awesome new bar over there. Those are great bars and restaurants. Then we're gonna go to the Nook, which is in light Farms, and then we're gonna go to Heyday, a new cocktail bar fairly new that's on the square in Salana. All four awesome places, and so we're gonna spend about fifteen or twenty minutes at each place. We're going to buy a bunch of Rollertown beers. While we're there, you can come take pictures with the sumo wrestlers. We're gonna be passing out flyers promoting our big sumo weekend. But we're just gonna stop at each one of those places, and then we're gonna end up on Saturday night at Rollertown where Brand New Funk's throwing down.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's gonna be amazing, and I love the concept of a sumo crawl, So come be a part of it. Roller Down Beer Works. We'll see it this weekend and next. But right now it's time board this kill.
Speaker 2: This thing's big.
Speaker 1: It sure is, Cynthia, it sure is. So the Mavericks won last night. It was one twenty to one oh six, and it was nowhere near that close, at least not after the first quarter. Second quarter floodgates open, primarily because of Klay Thompson, and then Anthony Davis got going, and then the Mavericks just never looked back. I think they're up twenty three at half, as I believe what the total was, and their defense from the second quarter on was pretty suffocating.
Speaker 3: Man, this is exactly what I needed and I didn't even know I needed it going into that game. You know, I mentioned this earlier in the show. I didn't even know how to feel. I didn't even know what I wanted. I didn't know if I wanted them to win or if I just wanted this abysmal season to be over with. I didn't even know if I was still going to be a MAVs fan moving forward, like just flooded with all this emotion. But when once the game got going, of course, I'm a MAVs fan. I have been since nineteen eighty and so there I was rooting for the Mavericks and hoping they could pull it out, and then being super stoked to see the way that they were playing.
Speaker 2: And I gotta be honest, I needed it.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know, Like we've all been surrounded by so much negativity with regard to the Mavericks and such an upevil that man, it was great just to settle in and watch a MAVs victory and at you know, a meaningful win or go home victory. It had a pretty big impact on me. I was surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can. It's just so easy to drown in the negativity. I get it.
Speaker 1: I saw a pretty funny Tim Kallashaw tweet today and it was something to the effect of it was like, so, let me let me get this straight. We made this move to get better, and here we are is the ten seed. And I'm paraphrasing, but it was like mission accomplished. And the thing that there's a lot of things that Nico said and that you know, private press conference that came out in the form of you know, articles and transcripts. One of the things he said that I have believed this whole time, but it's just you have to use your imagination. And but it's the idea that if the team hadn't had all the injuries, it would be a really great team and people would be pulling for them to a much bigger degree, and the angst and the resistance over the trade, which everybody feels, even if you're still a Maverick fan, would not be to the degree that it is because it's just exacerbated by all the injuries and all the negative things that have happened for the Mavericks. And so last night was a representation of guys that you still care about playing at a high level and giving you some basketball excitement. The whole thing could suck tomorrow night, Memphis could run him out of the gym, and then you go back to your your negative feelings. But for one night, it was basketball that mattered, and the Mavericks played at a really high level. And as a basketball fan and someone that is a Dallas Maverick fan and has grown up in Dallas, and obviously it's to a different degree I work on the broadcast, it was very satisfying for me to watch that game and to be able to jump out of my chair and go, hell yeah when Brandon Williams is making threes. Brandon Williams, who wasn't even for sure going to play in that game, just had a phenomenal game. And Klay Thompson hit big. Those two guys, I mean, obviously Ad played great, Pga played great, but those two guys just carried the offense during different stretches and couldn't miss. And it's a shot making league, right, I know that's generic, but if you're gonna come out and hit a bunch of three pointers, you got a chance against anybody. They were making their shots, but man, that did a lot I need. That was chicken soup for my Maverick soul. And I'm not saying that cures all. I'm just saying, man, I needed that it and it was comforting to know that I still care, because honestly, I didn't know.
Speaker 4: There's a fun little note on the broadcast. It sucks we didn't get a local broadcast, but I agree. I forgot who the sideline reporter was. But they were talking about how the Mavericks have Jorge already packed for eight games here or for eight days here right there there, and it's reminded me of the finals, honestly, yeah, which is stupid, but it did. And I was like, okay, yeah, you're right when and then Friday night, Man, I'm going to a concert tomorrow night, so I'm pretty much gonna miss the game.
Speaker 2: Where are you going? Man?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: The long word ballroom see soul coughing? I heard spot Christina has been running. Are you going Christina to the Soul Coffin concert?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 4: I am Devin toured in twenty five years. Did you watch the game last night?
Speaker 2: I watched the first quarter, and what's funny is we did.
Speaker 4: Mike just kind of sarcastically said they're killing them, and I was like, do you watch, they probably will and they did.
Speaker 2: They get nervous a few times.
Speaker 4: I got out to fifteen, you know, about eighteen minutes left in the game.
Speaker 2: Oh we uh.
Speaker 1: So we did that podcast crossover with follow Wellham de Maris, and one of the things Demis said was like, look, neither one of these teams shoot a lot of threes, but you can't let them beat you at the three point line. I mean, I don't know what's gonna happen Friday night. I'm gonna say I don't expect the Mavericks to hit fifty percent of their threes, but to go fourteen of twenty eight from three and then also dominate them in the paint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they dominated them in the paint. Dude.
Speaker 3: It was really fun to watch where And again I was so naive to this, admittedly because I was like, what they traded Luca Brady, We've already got the two best sinners in the league. I was unaware of the whole storyline where he wants to be a power forward, right, and now I get it, because it's amazing you work around one of those trees and you're you know, you're an offensive player playing the Mavericks. You get around one of those trees, it ain't clear sailing. I mean there's another badass shot blocker just hanging out, man, and you're not even sure where they are. Yeah, and it was cool seeing guys on Sacramento come through the lane and not even think about shooting now because it was dangerous.
Speaker 1: That's dangerous. And then also just to add PJ. Washington Junior and yes too.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I think the other thing that was super critical is for the most part, the Mavericks played a playoff game without a point guard. Yes, and when you look at the fact that they didn't turn the ball over a bunch that that's pretty impactful. Man.
Speaker 2: They you know, because you worry about that. Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 3: I was surprised Dinwoody wasn't really in the rotation. I was like, where did this come from?
Speaker 1: I think you know they, I know that they had really dialed in on we want Nanjie to play point guard so we can play really big defensively. And I gotta be honest, those first two or three possessions when he was dribbling around at mid court and I was like, we're not going to be able to get into any sets are we.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking too, because if you're Sacramentaroy, You're like, they don't have a real point guard.
Speaker 2: Let's attack him defensively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Kean Ellis is a good, you know, defensive point guard. But you know that was really key for them to not have a bunch of turns and overs and to get some stuff. And really, you know, the first quarter had been flowed for both teams. Mavericks got a quick burst early and then Sacramento came back. But man, from the second quarter on, they absolutely destroyed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Brandon Williams playing with a messed up a bleak or whatever he's dealing with and like getting knocked to the floor, get up, hit those free throws.
Speaker 2: What a great story he is.
Speaker 3: He's a great he can play man. I like him, and you know they're gonna be without Kai. And the story comes out last night that Kai could be ready in January. Yeah, that was Shams, that was reporting that. By the way, did y'all see that Schams reported that Nico didn't want to do the press conference in Dumont made him. I thought that was pretty interesting, Yeah, because you're sitting here going all right, so did Nico tell shams by the way, did you see and uh oh, the GM said that too. The Bob Myers, Yeah, Bob Myers was saying that too, which was interesting. Yeah, man, did you Every time they showed Nico in the stands, I'm like, okay, Number one, he can't sit in the stands at a home game, right And number two, he looks miserable like he is, you know, just not having fun.
Speaker 2: Obviously he didn't. He never emoted I don't even want to be around.
Speaker 3: That has to be an incredibly stressful situation. But yeah, man, I just, uh, it restored me in a lot of ways that I wasn't expecting.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how badly I needed that.
Speaker 1: I was very and we've said this, but I was just so happy for Klay Thompson for so many, you know, different reasons, because you know, the last time he was in that building, he had a really bad experience for oh for ten and then missed his first couple of shots. He's oh for twelve and you know, and so and then he just took off. But there is you know, he was interviewed after the game for radio and then it went on and it ended up being on Scott Van Pelt, and then I saw this locker room interview with him and one of the things he said that was so interesting to me. That just kind of puts everything in the frame for what this group of guys are going through and how they're really just playing for one another and they feel like they're playing for one another.
Speaker 2: They don't really feel the support of Dallas. I mean, you could.
Speaker 1: Say they're not you could say whatever you want, but I'm telling you they're feeling like they're by themselves. And he said it was really fun tonight because you could just be fully immersed in the experience. Think about what that means. Klay Thompson, who's been a part of what four championships, said it was fun to go on the road so we could be immersed in the experience of a playoff game and not have to deal with what's going on in our own buildings.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you watched a game it cause them and that's how you into radio. He is Kevin Kerner.
Speaker 1: He's a complete badass, and I'll never forget the time he looked Nico Harrison dead in the eye.
Speaker 4: He said, well, I just think in these times, I think it's really important that we all consider everything when it comes to the world we're living in.
Speaker 2: That's free and that's what led to the trade. You didn't have to pay for that.
Speaker 1: Christina is going to stick around play some tunes right hereund ninety seven point won the eagle.
Speaker 2: There you going, well, I'm gonna get my sack backed, dude, God bless Jesus.