Speaker 1: In July of nineteen ninety nine, over the course of three days, one man brutally killed his entire family, and then he walked into his workplace an open fire on those who worked with him, leaving even more people dead before turning tail and running. What first looked like a financial meltdown spiraled into something far more calculated, a sequence of killings that began in silence at home, and as investigators pulled back the layers the uncovered notes trying to explain the madness, massive financial losses, and even eerie ties that connected the killer to another double homicide. This is the story of Mark Barton, the Killer day Trader.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 3: The following.
Speaker 2: Material more mai audience listener discretion.
Speaker 1: You excited for the merch launch, I am. If you guys don't know, we launched some pretty cool merch check it out, just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what we have it? We posted on Instagram.
Speaker 1: We did, we did?
Speaker 3: We find it that way.
Speaker 1: We have three new designs. We brought some stuff out of the vault, and one of the new designs is actually only going to be available for one week and then it's retired forever, so if you want it, you only have a week just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's the coveted jack Osher, which people think is pretty awesome. We get a lot of requests actually for jack O merch we do.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jacko was pretty cool to start with, so I can't blame them. Yeah, so yeah, but also, uh, with this, it's coinciding with our five year anniversary of this podcast, and we had a five year celebration the other day with some like close friends and stuff. It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it went really well. It's crazy how you just like plan events though, and then they're finally there and then they're just gone, Like I don't know. I mean, obviously that's just everything, but time is there's so much like anticipation and excitement and then I don't know. I tried really hard to be like as president as I could in that moment. I did a mental milcause I'm like, you want to want to remember this.
Speaker 1: It was good. I make sure I remember too. Yeah, my heart was definitely filled after that.
Speaker 2: It was it was it was awesome, yeah, and good good for us, Like people don't celebrate things enough so I'm glad we did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys should make sure you celebrate the small things in your life, whether it's small, big, or whatever. Just celebrate yourself. You deserve it. Yes, and one you can actually do to help celebrate us if you want, I mean, no pressure, but you can join over on Patreon. We're in fact even doing a giveaway for that JACKO shirt plus some ones that have actually been retired. You'll never be able to purchase those shirts again, but we're given away over on Patreon, and some people can sign up, just like Eric Brett, Howard did Marritt Egan, Jen Herschel, and as well as a Dutch listener who just said there are some wicked true crime stories, which I'm assuming they're meaning like over like where they live, right, So I think we might have to look into doing another Dutch story here soon. Sure, I'm in so but thank you guys so much for signing up. If you guys are interested, the link is in the description of this podcast. But I think we should get right into the story. Okay, let's do it now. Most weekday mornings don't feel historic in any sense. In fact, they tend to feel rather small and not much different than the one that came before it. You know what, may start with an alarm that goes off, You hit snooze, maybe once or even twice. Then the shower runs, coffee bruise, and the day begins with no urgency, but it begins instead with more of habit. You might drive the same route that you always drive. You park in roughly the same spot you've parked in for who knows how long. You walk through the doors you walk through hundreds or even thousands of times before that. In fact, if someone asks you to describe the building in detail, you probably easily could with your eyes closed, just picturing it perfectly. Not because you've paid attention to say all these things, but because the little things have ingrained themselves in your mind over time. There might be a bulletin board that you pass by with a poster on it that's been there way too long. The stairs you climb might have one step at the bottom that one step just doesn't quite align with the rest, But it doesn't matter, because inside that building it's just work. It's an office with fluorescent lights maybe that hum softly overhead, and computers blink awake, and someone down the hall might laugh at something you can't quite hear. The breakroom even still smells faintly of reheated leftovers from yesterday and stale coffee grounds. The printer whirls awake and phones start to ring. You greet the same people you did yesterday, the same way you always have. You know, morning, how is your night? Or happy insert day of the week. Here, you sit at your desk, You log in and scroll through some emails. Places like this have their own rhythm. You learn it without realizing your learning it. It gets to a point that even disagreements feel predictable. Someone might get frustrated, someone might vent, someone shuts their door a little harder than usual. But by the end of the day people gather their things and go home. Whatever irritated them feels like it gets folded neatly into tomorrow. And that's the unspoken rule. No matter how stressful the job gets, no matter heavy or how heavy the workload becomes, no matter how sharp the words exchanged in the conference rooms were there's a line that doesn't get cross. Work is contained. Sure, you might decompress outside of it. You know, you leave and you maybe vent or talk to things about spouse or even messages with some work friends. But to say the least, most of it stays there at work, and you assume that people around you, no matter how quiet, no matter how intense, are operating within these same boundaries that you are. You don't scan the room for threats, you don't calculate exits, you don't measure the distance between yourself and the door. Why would you You know these people. You've shared coffee with them, You've complained about management with them, you sat beside them during long afternoons when time seems to slow down. They're a part of the background in your life. Not strangers, not dangerous, just coworkers. There are moments, though, where a line can get crossed, long before anyone realizes it has been. On one ordinary afternoon, in a building that looked like every other building, no one knew they were standing at the edge of disaster. And then when the door opened in walked Mark Barton now Mark Orin Barton, was born on April second, nineteen fifty five, in Germany. His father, Truman Barton, was serving in the US Air Force at the time, and the family spent part of Mark's early childhood overseas before eventually settling into Sumter, South Carolina. He was an only child raised in a structured military household, and from an early age he stood out as being rather intelligent, particularly very strong at math and science, but also he was rather emotionally distant. Classmates would later describe him as quiet and socially isolated. He wasn't known to be disruptive or aggressive in school. Instead, he kept to himself. He excelled academically, especially in subjects like chemistry, but he wasn't exactly social to say the least. He didn't build any strong friendships, and he was often disc decribed as just being withdrawn. By his mid teens, Mark began experimenting with drugs, particularly with hallucinogens, and what may have started as experimentation, it quickly escalated into heavier use. According to later accounts, He was even hospitalized multiple times after overdoses. Now those close to him suggested that the drugs that he used may have been an escape from feelings or alienation. Whether that was the case or not, though it marked the first documented period where life began to drift off course for him. Now after high school, Mark attended Clemson University before transferring to the University of South Carolina. During this time, he continued down a negative path and was even charged with burglary and was placed on probation. Around the same period, Mark sought psychiatric treatment following what sources described as a mental breakdown, went therapy and drug treatment, and though there are references that discuss ongoing mental health struggles, there was no formal long term diagnoses that was publicly confirmed. What is clear, though, is that he had periods of instability alternating with stretches that where he appeared to be focused in high functioning, a sort of flip flop back and forth. Despite all this, though, Mark still completed his degree, and it was nineteen seventy nine when he graduated from the University of South Carolina with a bachelor's degree in chemistry. At this point in his life, there was no public sign of violence that would later define his name. He was a trained chemist from a military family, very academically capable. He was socially reserved, sure, but there was also that pass that was marked by drug use and some illegal trouble, But there was nothing violent. That's the main takeaway now. After graduating, he found work in chemistry related fields and eventually relocated to Atlanta, where he met Deborah Spivy. The two even married the same year after he graduated, beginning what appeared to be a very conventional young marriage built around work and family plans. From there, in Mark's career, he worked a series of technical and sales jobs involving chemical products and industrial compounds. Eventually the couple moved to Texarkana, Texas, where Mark helped start a manufacturing company called TLC Manufacturing. By the late nineteen eighties, he had risen to president of the company and was earning a very strong income of around eighty six thousand dollars a year according to later records. And remember this is even in the eighties.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, so that's a good chunk of change, definitely.
Speaker 1: Now. During this period, the couple had two children, a son named Matthew who was born in nineteen eighty eight, and later a daughter named Michelle. Now. Accounts from later investigations described Mark as increasingly controlled and prone to mood swings, and soon the marriage began to deteriorate as tensions grew inside the home. At work, things also began to unravel too. In nineteen ninety, Mark's relationship with TLC Manufacturing ended and he later described it as an official firing meant to protect the company's image. But what happened next drew some serious attention. See, shortly after his departure, someone broke into the office. They stole proprietary formulas and erased computer files. Now, as a result, police arrested Mark on burglary related charges. Now, a detective involved at the time thought the break in might actually have been less about theft and more about hiding internal problems, possibly inventory discrepancies or other irregularities.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, Mark was fired, correct, Okay, and then there was a break and it was assumed that he was the one.
Speaker 1: Mark is arrested on burglary related charges regarding this incident, Yes, okay, But I did say someone broke into the company, and I mean someone very specifically, because we don't actually know for sure, Okay for sure, and I'll tell you exactly why here. So that very same day, a company board member contacted police to say that an agreement had been reached with Mark and the charges were dropped. So there was no conviction or anything. There was no confirmation that technically it was Mark, but it was Mark, Okay, if you know what I mean, right, let go.
Speaker 2: You say it, but it was Mark.
Speaker 1: It was him, but they reached a personal agreement where law enforcement was not involved, so there is no documentation that he did it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see, I just wanted to clarify there. But I see why you kind of why I was confused, because you were sort of hiding it for a second, for.
Speaker 1: A hot second.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, following this fallout, Mark moved his family back to Georgia and he attempted to start another small business, but it didn't appear to gain any sort of traction. Eventually, he returned to sales work, taking a job with a chemical company. But at the company he met a young receptionist named Leah Ann Lang. Now, she was married at the time, and I mean so was Mark, but he later admitted they began an affair in nineteen ninety three. According to his own statements, he changed his appearance during this period, buying new clothes using tanning beds, and he began spending more time away from home. Now his wife, Deborah also grew suspicious of this, and there were incidents of frequent jealousy and arguments where she questioned him about signs that she saw that he might be seeing someone else. It was around this time that Mark took out a life insurance policy on his wife Deborah, which was valued at roughly six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: In the nineties.
Speaker 1: Correct. Yeah, so an idea. The idea of this, he claimed, came from her, and it was meant as a financial protection or the family in case of anything happening. The exact reason why we all take out any sort of insurance policy, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Affection life insurance is a good thing to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But he claimed that idea came from Deborah herself. Then, in the late summer of nineteen ninety three, over Labor Day weekend, Mark's wife, Deborah Barton, traveled with her mother, Eloise Spivy, to a lakeside trailer near Lake Weice in Alabama, and according to Mark, he stayed behind in Georgia with the kids. But at some point during that visit something went terribly wrong. Now, soon after Deborah Barton and her mother Eloise went camping to that lake, they were soon found dead inside the trailer. During this trip, both of them had been attacked with what investigators described as a sharp or blunt heavy instrument, something that was like struck the injuries were severe, and the scene didn't look like a break in of any sorts. Cash had had been left behind, alongside other valuables, which made the robbery look very unlikely of being exactly that a robbery.
Speaker 2: And they're camping right, exactly Gosh, that is not something you hear often when people are camping now.
Speaker 1: One investigator later described the scene as driven by anger rather than theft, and almost immediately attention turned towards Mark, and several factors raised suspicion, the fact that he had recently taken out that large life insurance policy on Deborah only weeks before the killing, in fact just yes, also with the fact that he was involved in an affair with Leanne Lang, a relationship that friend said was becoming rather serious, and investigators began to wonder if Deborah's death might clear the way for his new life. Police questioned Mark extensively, and according to later accounts, he appeared very calm during interviews, sometimes almost even challenging against the investigators. He insisted that he'd been in Atlanta during the murders and denied any sort of involvement now, unfortunately without witnesses placing him at the campground authorities were forced to rely on forensic evidence alone. Now, at one point they managed to search Mark's car and investigators used luminol, a chemical that reacts with blood, of course makes it glow right, and they received positive reactions on parts of the vehicle, including the seat belt and ignition area. Now, Mark claimed he had no explanation at first, and later suggested maybe the blood might have come from a cut on his finger months earlier. And he also refused to provide a blood sample or DNA sample of any sort to try and do a comparison. He also just declined to take a polygraph test too, So why would he give out anything?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but that would be spots that after you committed something like you're reaching for your seatbelt, you're starting your vehicle.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so you have blood in your hand. But I mean, he's right though, technically speaking, Devil's advocate here, you have a cut in your finger, blood will get in.
Speaker 2: The same spot, I guess. But also I could see those those places being missed when cleaning up.
Speaker 1: Right Now, I don't exactly understand fully how this search of his vehicle must have worked, because, like I'm assuming they don't have a warrant to seize his vehicle because first of all, they didn't have a warrant to clearly get his DNA. He declined, and after this, additional testing could not be completed because Mark apparently was still driving it and he said he spilt soft drink in the car, which destroyed any potential traces of what was what was there?
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, that seems too convenient.
Speaker 1: Rather convenient. Yes, So I don't understand exactly the situation on how they were able to look at the car in the first place. I guess he just gave them permission and what they found was not strong enough to get a warrant, and he was still driving it and just destroyed what they had found.
Speaker 2: He was confident in his cleanup job with the vehicle, so he gave them.
Speaker 1: That, I guess. So now, despite strong enough suspicion, the case stalled. There were no fingerprints tying him to the scene, no murder weapon, and no definitive forensic link. There was just nothing. Investigators didn't have enough to arrest him or even to charge him, and thus the murder of Deborah Barton and her mother remained unsolved, and funny enough, within a week of Deborah's death, Leanne was reportedly spending nights at Mark's home.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I freaking hate that. And I'm just so pissed because that is like the mother of your kids. Yep, that I don't know. That is just never okay. Well to take that from your children.
Speaker 1: Not only that, but within months her divorce was finalized and their relationship was now out in the open.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine the kids wanted much to do with him after all misshit.
Speaker 1: And then to take it one step further in nineteen ninety five, the two of them were then married. Cool Now Mark did have his two kids, and essentially he had a new family and they were settling into life in Georgia. Mark continued to work as a chemical salesperson and presented himself as a smart, successful professional. Neighbors said he was friendly, playful with the kids, and sometimes even goofy, someone who enjoyed playing video games with his son and joking around that sort of thing. He simply seemed like a devoted father trying to move on after tragedy. In their eyes, however, the darkness still lingered in him. Friends and neighbors also described some mood swings and controlling behavior leanne. In fact, according to people who knew her, sometimes Eve said that she even appeared uneasy around him. Some said she seemed quieter when he was nearby, as if she was very careful about what she said. Then, there were also troubling incidents involving the kids. In the mid nineteen nineties, Michelle, who was still very young his daughter, reportedly told a daycare worker that her father had touched her inappropriately. Now the allegation triggered evaluations and legal review, and a psychologist involved in the custody process reportedly stated that Mark was quote certainly capable of homicide.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I just despise this guy.
Speaker 1: Still because of how young she was and not understanding perhaps what she was saying or what she was communicating. There was no physical evidence, no charges were filed, and Mark remained full custody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got away with something else again, yep.
Speaker 1: And life just continued forward.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is so awkward and comfortable. What a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a douche canoe now. Meanwhile, the unresolved Alabama case never fully disappeared. Law enforcement had never charged him, but the suspicion was still there. The insurance pay from Debor's death eventually resulted in a large settlement, giving Mark access to significant funds, and part of that money was placed in a trust for his children. But the payout also gave him a lot of financial freedom, and eventually, by the late nineteen nineties, Mark's focus well it shifted away from traditional work and towards a rapidly growing new industry, internet day trading. When the stock market was booming, Now, the Internet was changing how people invested in the stocks, and a new culture was growing around something that was called day trading, where people buy and sell stocks rapidly, sometimes dozens or even hundreds of times a day, chasing quick profits and turnarounds. Mark fell hard into this world. He opened accounts at brokerage firms including Momentum Securities and all Tech Investment Group in Atlanta's Buckhead Financial District. Now, these offices, they were built for day traders. There was rows of computer terminals, real time data feeds, and people constantly watching the markets rise and fall. At first, Mark just kind of fit in. He presented himself as an experienced and financially secure and individual, and records showed he claimed a substantial net worth, and coworkers later said he seemed very confident, even enthusiastic about day trading now. Like many day traders at the time, he focused heavily on volatile internet stocks, the kind that could rise and crash within minutes alone, and if you were on top of it, you could make money. But the markets highs while they were matched by equally brutal lows, and as such, by the summer of nineteen ninety nine, Mark's losses were mounting fast. According to brokerage officials, he had lost around one hundred and five thousand dollars in roughly seven weeks alone at Momentum, which was only one of the brokerage firms he was at. Some reports even suggested his total losses over the previous year could have reached several hundred thousand dollars as well. The losses triggered something else, pressure from the firms themselves. So day trading often involves what they call margin accounts, especially they're sorry essentially borrowed money used to increase buying power. It's just kind of like borrowing from a bank situation. You have the money, but it's technically not yours. And when stocks fall sharply brokerage. They issue margin calls, basically demanding traders to posit more money to cover than those losses. Now Mark actually began struggling to meet those demands. His account at Momentum was reportedly restricted after he failed to cover a margin call. Then, trying to regain access, Mark wrote a fifty thousand dollars check to the firm, but the check bounced, and then Momentum denied him trading privileges, at least temporarily. For someone already under intense financial and emotional st the restriction was a major blow. People later described Mark as increasingly anxious and angry during this period, and at home arguments with Leanne reportedly became more frequent too, especially over money. Mark still tried to protect the normalcy in his life though how people saw him. He kept buying gifts for his children, spending time with them, acting like a regular suburban father, But those financial losses were just piling up, and tensions at home were growing right along with it. Then, in the early hours of Tuesday, July twenty seventh, while Leanne slept in her Stockbridge apartment, he attacked her with a hammer. The assault was sudden and brutal, as she was struck repeatedly in the face and head and died right there in bed where she laid. Afterward, Mark dragged her out of bed and hid her body in the master bedroom closet, covering her with a blanket and placing boxes and clothes around it to conceal. And then he cleaned up.
Speaker 2: Oh I okay, I was just like sitting here kind of chilling, and I was not expecting.
Speaker 1: That it was a fast turn. And right after he killed her and just kind of like hidden cleaned up the crime scene. He then shifted right back into just regular day routine like nothing happened at all.
Speaker 2: Holy. He is just a fricking monster and a hat he is. These wives of his are just completely disposable basically to him. They are because like, what did she even do? He's the one that has a freaking problem here and is spending all their money exactly like she, And of course she's going to be concerned about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the volatile one. He's the one who's flying off, he's one losing the money. It's all coming down to him, and he's placing that blame onto other people.
Speaker 2: I think she probably really realized that the grass wasn't greener when she left her husband and married him because he's terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, he definitely is, that's to say the least. She was probably on an ice manicured lawn and left for fucking swamp water and moss.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, well, because well, I mean when they were having them fair, everything was probably hunky dory, right, and then yeah, it really turns quite bad.
Speaker 1: I just realized my analogy earlier. I called him a douche canoe and he's like, oh yeah, his lawn isn't actually grass, it's just swamp water and moss. So I just picture him in a canoe in a swamp, and it just says, douche along the side, riding his little douche canoe in a swamp.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's a good, good good one there.
Speaker 1: Good visual. Now. Over the next day, though he did spend time with his children, he ran errands and kept to any sort of normal activity. Reports indicated he even took his son Matthew to scouts, all while Leanne's body remained hidden in that apartment closet. Then, on the night of Wednesday, July twenty eighth, Mark did something else he turned on his kids. He later claimed that he believed he was sparing them from future suffering, but that is just his twisted rationalization of what's in his mind, basically of a monster's mind. In reality, he put them through something unimaginable. He attacked both the children with the very same hammer that he used on his well wife while they were asleep too. Mark then placed their bodies face down in a full bathtub to make sure that they worked out.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Ben, what the frick is happening here?
Speaker 1: And once he knew they were in fact dead, he then took the time to carefully wash and dry his children, to dress them, and then he placed them in their beds, wrapping them in blankets so only their face.
Speaker 2: Was showing Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Matthew was positioned with his game boy nearby, which he loved to play, and Michelle was left with a teddy Bear nearby. The scene was arranged to look peaceful, almost like they were sleeping, I guess, and Mark also wrote notes. Handwritten messages were placed on each victim. On Matthew's body, he left a note asking that someone take care of his son, and a similar note was left with Michelle, describing her as his sweetheart and asking her to be cared for. Another handwritten note was in place with Leanne to where she laid in the closet still, and he called her his precious love. In the living room, Mark left a longer typed out letter printed from a computer, and by the morning of July twenty ninth, things began quietly inside that Stockbridge apartment. The bodies of Mark's wife and children remained there, right where he had placed them, and Mark began moving through that morning with a sense of purpose. Mark left his apartment and then made several deliberate stops through ti him, one of which was his attorney's office, where he reportedly made some changes to his will. Then he drove towards Atlanta's financial district, carrying two handguns with them a nine millimeter any forty five caliber pistol, along with, of course, plenty of ammunition. People who encountered him that morning described nothing unusual about his appearance. He wore casual clothes and behaved normally. When he arrived at Momentum Securities around early afternoon, he walked in just like any other day trader did. That Thursday, the market itself was down. It was another bad day for traders, but employees they recognized him. They chatted casually with him, and he did so back with other staff members and other traders and smiling, making small talk, all while waiting for management. Some believed he was just there to discuss money or try and resolve his issues with his account. He appeared calm, even friendly, so no one thought anything of it. None of them knew that he had just murdered his family ash and for roughly twenty minutes, Mark waited. The trading floor buzzed with the usual energy of people watching the markets, chasing gains and reacting to losses. Shortly after three pm on July twenty ninth, nineteen ninety nine, the atmosphere inside Momentum Securities was typical. Terminals glowed with live market data. Traders watched those screens, but Mark had been inside for about twenty minutes, and he was apparently waiting, but there was no raised voices or visible rage with him. But all of a sudden, without any clear sign, he just reached for his weapons. Witnesses later said Mark pulled out both guns, one in each hand, and he reportedly smiled. According to multiple accounts he made a chilling remark before firing, and now variations of the quote have been reported, but the message was the same. He essentially said the trading day was bad and it was about to get worse, and then he opened fire on the room. The first shots were close ranged and victims were struck almost immediately. The confined office space amplified that sounds of the gun turning the trading room floor into chaos within seconds. People dove under desks, others ran towards exits, and some were hit while trying to escape. But Mark he didn't flinch. He simply moved through the space, pulling the trigger repeatedly on both weapons. Four people were ultimately killed at momentum. Others were wounded, some critically, and survivors later described blood being on desks, on walls, and all over computer screens, and the scene unfolded quickly but felt endless to those inside. Panics spread beyond that immediate office, as employees in nearby suites heard the shots too, emergencies. They had calls flooding in through nine on one dispatchers, and within minutes police were racing towards the Pimont Center, where the shooting was unfolding, but Mark didn't stay there. Before officers could fully lock down the building he had left. Some reports suggested he exited calmly, blending in with the fleeing employees. Others recall seeing a man moving quickly away from the scene, but either way, just across the street, just steps away, stood another brokerage, where Mark also traded all Tech investment group. Oh my goodness, and he was headed straight for it.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: The people inside had no idea that a mass shooting had just occurred moments earlier, and Mark entered here calmly, just as he did the last place. Witnesses later said he appeared relaxed and even friendly. He greeted staff, walked towards the manager's office as if he were just simply arriving for a routine meeting.
Speaker 2: Nothing was off about him. Notice again, just appeared completely.
Speaker 1: Fine, exactly Oh, Mark Sproke spoke briefly with the managers and the staff, and then within minutes, while talking to them, he produced those same two weapons. Managers and a secretary were hit with bullets at close range almost immediately, and survivors later described confusion, with people struggling to understand what was happening, and before anyone could react, Mark moved from that office with the managers into the main trading floor room, and he began firing across that open room, targeting people as they dove or tried to hide and run. Some were struck while attempting to reach exits. Other drop behind desks or crawls crawling across the floor, and they were hit and trying to find any sort of cover. It was just chaos, and he was seeing anyone and firing indiscriminately. Witnesses recalled him moving steadily through that space, continuing to shoot as he went. Several victims died where they fell, and others were critically wounded but thankfully survived. Now. During the attack, Mark reportedly made another chilling statement, something to the fact of hoping he was not ruining anyone's trading day.
Speaker 2: Of course, you are, you freaking idiot right now.
Speaker 1: The shooting lasted only minutes, but left behind devastating damage. By the time the gunfire stopped, five more people were dead and many more were injured. Yet, even as emergency calls came in, confusion between dispatchers and responding officers delayed the full realization that a second crime scene existed just across the street, and with that bit of confusion, left a window and again Mark walked out, disappearing into the surrounding areas.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I feel like at this point he's already killed fourteen people if my count is correct, Like that is just bonkers.
Speaker 1: It's a lot now. Police initially responded to what they believed was a single active shooting, but soon it became clear that there was a second one across the street. We have momentum securities he did first, and then All Tech Investment Group second, and that reallyzation that there was a second one hit quickly and this incident was it was not contained clearly because the shooter was elsewhere and then also gone. They had two scenes, no shooter in sight. Officers flooded the Piedmont Center complex, parking cars and control cars all over to try and block entrances. Swat teams moved floor by floor, clearing offices, escorting terrified employees out of the buildings. Helicopters circled overhead ambulances lined the street as paramedics rushed the wounded to nearby hospitals and inside the buildings, automatic locking systems had actually even been engaged, which trapped some employees in the office. Many witnesses called local radio stations and television stations, describing gunfire, screams, and all the confusion surrounding it. Blood covered the desks and the floors, and police made their way through just trying to find these survivors and then escorting them out. They even had to make sure they had their hands raised, unsure if the shooter was still in there. So they're saying, hands up, to make sure that you can appear like you're not unarmed, you're not a police officer, just in the odd chance that he's waiting.
Speaker 2: This would just I can't even imagine the mass confusion, confusion that's going on here.
Speaker 1: Exactly that what's chaos. It's confusion. And I don't know if you kind of caught on. I'm rambling my sentences here. I'm trying to push that confusion fan into you. Yeah, I hope it's working.
Speaker 2: It would just yeah, it is working. It's just very unsettling.
Speaker 1: Now. Within roughly two hours, police identified the suspect as forty four year old Mark Barton, and his name was released publicly, along with details of his appearance and the vehicle he was believed to be driving, which was a van. Authorities quickly expanded the search perimeter beyond Buckhead into Cobb County and surrounding suburbs were alerted to officers, canvas, wooded areas, and parking structures, and because Mark reportedly held a pilot's license, airports were notified in case he attempted to flee by air. As well. As the afternoon stretched into evening, fear spread across the metro area. News outlets interpreted the programming with live coverage, and the city's mayor, even Bill Campbell. He described the scene inside the office as an awful lot of blood everywhere, and he called it a long, unspeakable day.
Speaker 2: No kidding.
Speaker 1: But for several hours Mark remained missing. Sightings were reported across the region. One account described a man matching his description at a shopping center in Kenshaw, where he allegedly threatened a young girl before fleeing again. Whether every sighting was accurate remained unclear, but the tension was very real and now police were still looking for him. They were also dealing with something else while this was happening. Another investigation was quietly unfolding about twenty miles away in Stockbridge, Georgia. Now, at first, this other investigation had nothing to do with the Masacre. Down Town. Apartment management at Bristol Green Complex had simply reported that the rent was late and something felt off with one of their units. At around three point twenty three pm, less than half an hour after the first shots were fired in Atlanta, a Henry County Police officer entered the apartment with assistants from the property manager. When the officer entered, they found something that was very disturbing that changed the direction of the entire case. They found the body of two children that were discovered first, eleven year old Matthew Barton and his younger sister, Michelle, who were lying in their beds, carefully positioned wrapped in blankets with their faces exposed, each with a handwritten note. As officers continued to search the apartment, they soon found a third body, Mark Barton's wife, Leanne. She was located in the master bedroom closet, hidden beneath a blanket, also with a handwritten note. In the living room, officers found the last letter, addressed to whom it may concern. The note was timestamped early that morning, July twenty ninth, at six thirty eight am. In it, Mark described killing his wife first and blamed her for his downfall. Then he said he killed his children next the next night, and he did so to spare them the pain. He claimed he'd use a hammer while they slept, then placed some face down the bathtub to ensure they were dead, and he also wrote that he intended to kill quote as many of the people that greedily sought my destruction end quote. The note also referenced the unsolved nineteen ninety three murder of his first wife and her mother. Mark denied responsibility for those deaths, insisting that there was quote no reason to lie now end quote, even though he acknowledged the similarities in the killings.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Okay, so he's saying he didn't do them.
Speaker 1: He says he does he did not do them.
Speaker 2: Do you believe that?
Speaker 1: I do not believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that but at that point it's kind of like, why wouldn't you just say but yeah, it's kind of odd.
Speaker 1: It is odd. I would expect him to perhaps confess, but for whatever reason, he doesn't want his name tied to that legacy. If he did do it. I do believe he did it. Who else would have done it? There was no like why, Yeah, it was clearly targeted. There was no burglar or robbery or anything associated with it. The killings happened very similarly, Like who else would have done it? Why? What's the motivation here?
Speaker 2: No, it to one hundred percent makes sense that it was him. But yeah, it just is odd that he didn't put it in the letter. Yeah, after he's killed how many other people that he's not just going to fucking admit to that one too?
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, it's it's weird. But anyways, Now investigators also immediately recognize the similarities between the case, but that was about all they could do. The language in the letter shi between apology and justification, and for investigators, the discovery at the apartment completely reframed the unfolding of the events within Atlanta. He had first appeared to be just doing a workplace shooting driven well not just, but it appeared to be an isolated incident with a workplace, you know, driven by financial stress. But it was now clearly part of a much larger and more personal killing spree. Mark had he killed his wife days earlier. He then murdered his children, and then he just went out and continued to mow down people that he believed did him wrong. It wasn't financial, it was anger, it was personal. It was a vendetta. Sure that might be financing there in that reason, but it was personally motivated. News of the discovery spread quickly through law enforcement channels, and by late afternoon, while Atlanta was already in a massive man hunt, witnesses began reporting sightings, and hours passed still with no confirmation of where Mark was. Then, around seven forty pm, security personnel at a shopping mall in Kennesas spotted a unattended van matching the description that was put out to the public. Almost simultaneously, a woman in a parking lot reported a frightened, frightening encounter with a man carrying a black bag, who warned her not to scream or run. Another witness recognized Mark from television coverage and called nine one one two, providing police with the van's location and direction of travel. Cobb County officers quickly picked up the trail, and one officer, hughle Clements, spotted the van on Interstate seventy five and began following at distance, waiting for backup. Then, at approximately seven to fifty pm, Mark exited the interstate onto Georgia Highway ninety two and pulled into a gas station in Ackworth. Patrol cars moved in on him almost immediately for there, boxing the van in from multiple angles. Officers exited the vehicles with guns drawn pointed at the van, shouted commands from Mark to step out, but before they could reach him and do anything, Mark raised a handgun inside the van and a muffled shot rang out. Then his body slumped forward against the steering wheel. It was roughly seven point fifty five pm when officers cautiously approached the vehicle. I'm sure if he was still alive or if there was additional threats inside, but moments later the danger was confirmed to be over. Mark Barton was dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Speaker 2: This is how I was expecting this to end.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's no way he's gonna turn himself in or let himself go to jail or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually I did leave one bit of information note in the note that he left behind. He did say he was going to.
Speaker 2: See oh okay.
Speaker 1: So for for story reasons, I left that out, but I'll let you know that now.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just have to say too, not that any of the deaths made sense, but it really doesn't make sense that he needed to kill his kids like that just they would have been I mean, of course they would have like a lot of trauma, and but they were young and stuff, right, and they would they would be able to get over that and still live a life one hundred percent, right, And so that just makes no sense.
Speaker 1: They're way better off than him murdering them with a hammer while they're in.
Speaker 2: Beds exactly like they would have been fine to just move on with their life. So he is just a piece of work here, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is. Now. The manhunt that had paralyzed Atlanta for hours had ended in that single moment. There was going to be no arrests or interrogation, and also no trial. The only explanations investigators had were in the notes left behind in that Stockbridge apartment and the trail of devastation that he created across the city. Over the course of three days, Mark Barton had killed twelve people, his wife, his two children, and nine men and women inside the Atlanta brokerage firms. More than a dozen were also wounded, many with life altering injuries, and it was immediately described as one of the deadliest mass killings in Georgia's history. At momentum Securities, four people were killed, including traders and staff who'd been working in normal afternoon when Mark arrived at Altech. Five more lost their lives after Mark crossed the street and opened fire inside that building. Hospitals across Atlanta had quickly filled with victims, and emergency crews had prepared for multiple casualties, but many said that they had never seen anything like this volume of wounded arriving from an office or a corporate setting all at once, and as news spread that Mark's wife and child had been found murdered in Stockbridge, the emotional impact only deepened from there. City officials tried to steady the shocked public. Office workers across Buckhead were evacuated or locked down for hours, unsure whether the shooter was even still nearby it all, and families of the dead began speaking publicly In the days that followed. Some struggled to understand why their loved ones had been targeted at all, and investigators later even said that there was no clear evidence that Mark selected specific victims inside the office, although some reports suggested a few had previously lent him money or were connected to his trading losses. Whether he intended to target individuals or simply anyone at all who was in front of them, while it remains uncertain.
Speaker 2: And they did absolutely nothing wrong, this was all on him, one hundred percent. He was the one that fucked up his life completely with this.
Speaker 1: He was the one who did the stock trading. He was the one who tried to invest. Yeah, he was the one who gained money, who lost money. It was all him. In fact, many of those people, I'm sure are losing money just like him. Many of those people did not go off and blame other people. Yeah, but he did.
Speaker 2: It's I'm honestly a little surprised that it isn't more people that he ended up killing at these places. Really, if you know, he had like two guns, he's just like opening fire. But then you did say, like he is also making people suffer for lifelong with lifelong injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, many of the survivors struggled with like not only injuries, but also just the trauma of what they've experienced.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, some return to the office only briefly to gather belongings before spaces were permanently changed or closed. Memorials appeared outside the buildings with flowers, notes, and candles left by coworkers and strangers alike. By the end of that week, investigators had pieced together the basic timeline, but attention quickly shifted backwards. The discovery that Mark Barton had won being the prime suspect in another double homicide immediately changed how people understood that the Atlanta shootings. Suddenly, the story was no longer about a financial collapse and a workplace shooting. It was also about a mystery that had lingered unresolved for six years prior to that. In September of nineteen ninety three, Mark's first wife, Deborah Spivy Barton, and her mother, Eloise Bivvy were found brutally killed inside a camping ground inside a trailer near Lake Weese in northeastern Alabama. They traveled there for a holiday weekend and then they were just killed violently with what appeared to be a heavy or sharp object. And to top it off, the crime scene showed no signs of force entree, leading police to believe the victims likely knew whoever entered the trailer, and from the beginning, Mark drew attention from investigators. Just weeks before, of course, there was the large life insurance policy reportedly six hundred thousand dollars, money that would ultimately lead to his day trade, which would ultimately lead to more killings. And at that same time his marriage was deteriorating. He was involved in an affair with LeeAnne, the woman he would later marry and later kill, but Mark denied any sort of involvement in that case, even in his suicide note he left behind, he denied it, even though there are so many connections between each one. Investigators in Alabama reviewed the old files again after Mark's death, but without a living suspect to question, without evidence, there was nothing they could do. The case remained open but unresolved, leaving families with no legal closure, and officially speaking, those two deaths are not on Mark's record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well how could they be? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you do count them, you were right. That is fourteen dead to his name.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that is so man, so many deaths.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For those trying to understand the Atlanta massacre of the Alabama case, cast a very long shadow. Some believe that if charges had been filed years earlier, the later killings might never have happened. Others argued that hindsight made connection a lot easier to see than they had been in real time. But either way, the reopen discussion forced investigators, journalists, and public to all reconsider Mark's history not as a sudden break from normal life, but possibly a part of a much larger and darker pattern. Now in Atlanta, the massacre left a very lasting mark. The victim's names had become part of the city's history, remember not as statistics, but as co workers, friends, and family members who lived well and worked during an ordinary day that turn not so ordinary, and the legacy of the case ultimately lies in its complexity. It was a family tragedy, a workplace massacre, and a financial collapse, all wrapped up in a story shadow by unreserve, suspicion from years earlier, and a hidden darkness deep inside someone. There was no single explanation that explained everything, no simple motive that could tie everything neatly up. What remained in this timeline that reads almost unreal in hindsight, is a man who appeared to be normal, a rapid descent behind everyday life and a city forced to piece together the truth after the fact. The investigation ended when Mark turned that gun on himself and pulled the trigger at that gas station. But the questions it all raised, well, it'll never go away, and that's a story of Mark Barton, the killer day trader.
Speaker 2: What a selfish shun of a bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a damn good way of putting it. I mean, it's hard to put things like this into words, but that's a damn good start.
Speaker 2: Gosh. We had to pause at one point and I was like, what the fuck? He just keeps killing people? What is happening here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went on a literal killing zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I for some reason, I was like, did I miss something in the intro because I was shocked by almost all of these. I was just sitting here drinking my macha and he just wasn't fucking stopping.
Speaker 1: It just kept going and it came out of nowhere too. And I really hope I portrayed that well enough because I wanted the killings, because they did. I wanted to portray it in the writing and how I presented this case that the killings just came out of fucking nowhere. Yeah, and then during the chaos in the offices, I barely took a breath, and I put my sentences all mashed together, and I just kept going at a fast paced because I wanted to try and get that chaos across, because that's what it was. He did good, well, thank you, but it was he came out of nowhere. He did such violence, and it made such little sense.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing too, that is so mind blowing to me is that he goes to one place, kills four people and is able just to walk wherever to the next place and walk in there like it's, you know, a normal day, and just do it again. Yeah, Like holy shit, what kind of person or are you if you can just do that, like I don't know, act like nothing.
Speaker 1: Had happened, and then just go do it again.
Speaker 2: I think that you would you would be spiraling or you know, adrenaline. You would definitely look off. You wouldn't just be able to portray yourself as a normal as a normal day, a normal dude or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well that begs the question how long has he been hiding this sort of stuff? How long has he been pretending to just be a normal dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Wow, gosh, he's okay, Like, yeah, just fourteen people dead and then how many super injured? And for what for absolutely nothing, because he decided to make terrible decisions in his life.
Speaker 1: Exactly, huh he blamed them for his own actions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, fucked up exactly. He is like about as selfish as you get, yeap, like that is. That's like the definition and a half of freakin' I'm angry here.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, I think Nicole's angry. I'm in trouble today. I need to make sure I don't talk much. I'll do the dishes. I'll do the dishes. I'll make sure that we have a nice atmosphere in this house today.
Speaker 2: We'll light a candle, play some chill.
Speaker 1: Hal Yeah, you know, we'll definitely do that. But if you guys want to check out some more of this podcast, there is a link in the description where you can see our social media as our website, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: The new merch Is that going to be dropped that much? Is that link going to be there?
Speaker 1: I believe it is. We believe we have a merch link down there, and it's not I'll make sure it is, but yeah, so it's all there. Check it out, do the things we appreciate you, and, as always, until next time.
Speaker 2: Stay wicked.
Speaker 1: Oh that was a long one.
Speaker 3: That's what she said. B B B a