Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Yours, Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: Thank you Todd light Pa announcer Extraordinary at Dodger Stadium. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, August thirteenth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. So happy to have you with us. As always, so much going on. I want to start the show one day ago. Well, guys, there's nothing happening, but today's not that day. Yesterday a little shaking going on in the Southland. Did you feel it? I don't know why. I'm not afraid of big quakes. Something's wrong with me. That one was a pretty solid jolt. Did you feel a cono?
Speaker 3: We did?
Speaker 1: We did a little roller where I live. Yeah, it was pretty shaky. I had just gone I had just gone down for my nice winter's nap actually a summer nap, but I had the cats with me and I was out because like noon, nish's nappy time for me. And then it just started shaking, and the cats got up and one of them kind of ran off, and yeah, and then it stopped and I was like, well, I'm awake now, I guess I'll have a snack. Glad there wasn't much damage four point four, but anyway, here's what's ahead on wake up call. That magnitude four point four earthquake rumbled under Highland Park yesterday shortly afternoon, hit about twelve twenty. A waterline at Pasadena City Hall was ruptured in the quake, and apparently somebody got stuck at an elevator for a little while, but there are no reports of any major damage or injuries. The quake was felt across much of La Orange and Riverside Counties. A judge has rejected a lawsuit by opponents of the proposed gondola from Dodger Stadium to Union Station. Opponents question the environmental impact of the gondola, which would travel right over neighborhoods. Backers say the aerial tram will provide the first permanent mass transit connection, linking Dodger Stadium to the broader La Transit system. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby says Iran and its proxies could attack Israel anytime, as soon as this week. Iran has threatened to retaliate against Israel for the recent assassinations of Hamas and Hesbola leaders. We're going to be talking about going back to school and how that is stressing out a lot of kids. We've got ABC's Jim Ryan coming up in just a couple of minutes. Nick Pauli o'chini is back. He's going to give you all the traffic of course this morning, so you can get where you need to go. But he's also going to give us some more juicy details about the D twenty three of them in Annah and some of the really cool new attractions coming to the Disney parks. And later this hour, Joel Larsgard joins us to talk about how more of us are putting more stuff on plastic not good, and whether people can expect that they really are not going to have to pay back their student loans, and where you can tap into some cash, but should you Again, that's coming up before the top of the hour. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. It took a while because of some technical issues, but Elon Musk and former President Trump have had a two hour sit down live on x Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Caltech says a magnitude four point four quake that rattled South Pasadena might be a sign that bigger earthquakes could follow.
Speaker 4: The quake was felt throughout LA in parts of Orange County, trapping one person in an elevator and causing pipes to burst outside city hall. Seismologist doctor Lucy Jones says getting forced couldn't mean seeing fives on the Richter scale, and maybe hard to tell which fault line the quakes are coming from.
Speaker 1: And we need to remember this is only a four and a half, or associating it with a particular fault is always going to be problematic.
Speaker 4: She says having smaller earthquakes does not prevent bigger earthquakes, and there's no way to predict them. Yesterday's quake rolled in almost a week after a magnitude five point two hit Bakersfield. Chris Adler ka FI News.
Speaker 1: Social media experts say an upcoming ban on cell phones at schools in the LA district can help prevent depression and suicide in teens. Cybersecurity cop Clay Cranford says giving kids phones out of fear of emergencies could create mental health issues because of harmful social media.
Speaker 5: The chances of your child being involved in a school shooting are incredibly low. Schools are by far the safest place for your child to be and has ever always been that way, it remains to be that way.
Speaker 1: He says. More than a decade of data shows major depression in teens has gone up by one hundred and forty five percent for girls and one hundred and sixty one percent for boys since twenty ten. The LA School District approve the band in June to reduce learning disruptions and to improve its students' health. Takes effect in January. Minnesota Governor Tim Walls is set to make his first solo appearance as Vice President Harris's running mate. It'll happen at a public service convention at the LA Convention Center. Walls is also set to speak later today at a fundraiser in Newport Beach. Tickets are arranging from one thousand to one hundred thousand dollars. The fundraiser is the first in a series of five in five states in three days for Walls. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Gym four hundred thousand, LA school district. Students went back to class yesterday, others are going back soon, and apparently it's stressing a lot of kids out well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not too surprisingly. You can almost hear the butterflies and the stomachs out there. Is the kids go back to class, and that's normal, right, and the kids are are bound to feel a little bit too anxious as they returned to school after a summer off. But at what point does it become a problem aiming well, the experts say that if it does continue into the school year, if it goes a couple of months, then maybe it's time to check in with your kid. And in fact, it's a good idea to check again with them anyway, see what is happening at school, and then how they're getting along, because I was surprised at some of the statistics. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that nine point four percent of kids as young as three at up to seventeen, kids three to seventeen had diagnosed anxiety, four point four percent have diagnosed depression. So kids do feel those things that parents may dismiss as simple back to school butterflies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember being a little bit nervous to go back to class, but also we were always really excited about the you know, the prospect of seeing friends and sure going back to school and stuff. So what has change? Why are kids more apprehensive now?
Speaker 6: Well maybe they are. Maybe maybe they've always been this way, but people just didn't notice, you know, they just brushed it off and our.
Speaker 1: Parents did just deal with it.
Speaker 6: Get in there, get some grades, would you. And at the same time, you've got, as you were talking about, a moment, a moment ago, new things out there that kids in previous generations didn't have to worry about, including social media devices, those sorts of things that they have been dealing with all summer long and now are dealing with in school online bullying and a lot of that happens. You know, you've got the online component, the social media bullying that kids are facing, and then they're walking into a classroom to physically face that person who might have been picking on them. That certainly adds to that anxiety. So really, the best advice I think that child psychologists have is to keep tabs on the content and the contacts that your kids have online. Who are they reaching out to, who are they conversing with and what are the conversations, what's the nature of that. Are they being picked on and of course whether they're being picked on at school as well.
Speaker 1: Does any of the information that you're digging through say that parents maybe should work to kind of toughen up their kids a little bit, or how do they because you know, when I grew up too, it was a lot of sticks and stones stuff.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, well, you know, if not the opposite, then at least being a little more in tune with what your kids are going through, feeling that, you know, being empathetic with them and opening keeping that line of communication open. Parents know their kids better than anybody else, better than the school psychologist.
Speaker 3: A teacher or anyway.
Speaker 6: Right, So if you can stay in tune with what your kids are doing, join in their excitement you talk about the excitement of going back to school, join in that excitement, celebrated with them. But also try not to set an expectation that says, you need to get straight age this year in order to go to college. Yeah, you're only in third grade now, but we got to look ahead. So yeah, try not to put those expectations on kids, especially younger kids, but do help them to enjoy the environment.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember going back in and you know, the smell of the chalkboard and wearing new clothes and all that. It was exciting.
Speaker 1: Did they even have chalkboards anymore?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Boy, did I just dig myself chokboard with a chalkboard.
Speaker 1: Right, So as parents just kind of watch out support them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are resources out there too. Stop Bullying dot gov a government website that's devoted to addressing this issue. It talks about federal laws, it talks about cyber bullying. It offers advice to teachers, to principles to parents and kids. There are resources out there that can help you to confront these issues.
Speaker 1: But that's really a good one because.
Speaker 6: Stop Bullying dot gov.
Speaker 1: You know, when when I was growing up, I was kind of an ugly kid and no serious and so you kind of you take some of that bullying but whatever you call it, but it wasn't to the same magnitude because there was you know, it was there was no social media.
Speaker 6: Well true, I mean that's true. And then kids find that little weakness. I was always really tall, right, and they do you think, well, that's probably a good thing. Nobody isn't. It makes it easy target people. Well he's tall, let's pick on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well tall wasn't my problem. But all right, so take care of your kids, watch out and then I like that, stop bullying dot gov. If you need to find some resources.
Speaker 6: Stop bullying dot gov.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, ABC's Jim Ryan, appreciate it. You. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. The Olympic flag has left Paris and arrived in Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: Sol A Mayor Bass, team USA members and other local officials returned to lax and wave the flag as the world now turns its eyes here for the twenty twenty eight games at the airport. Bass emphasized again that she wants to see a public transportation heavy Olympics in LA. We know we need to have over thirty.
Speaker 6: Thirty three hundred buses that come into town because we don't want to have the congestion with people traveling to the game.
Speaker 9: So the mayor says, twenty twenty eight will be different than nineteen eighty four, when LA last hosted the Olympics, namely because the city has a subway system now.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: Bill will soon be considered that would reduce and restrict items that can be purchased at self checkout lanes. The bill's sponsor says the self checkout bill will create more jobs.
Speaker 10: It was seen as a way to drastically cut staffing and too reduce labor costs. The industry itself is reporting self checkout machines cost food and retailers more than ten billion dollars in lost profits annually.
Speaker 1: See Senator Lola Smallwood. Quavis says the bill is aimed at reducing retail thefts, so the bill requires one employee for every two self checkout stands. California Grocers Association President and CEO Ron Fong says the bill would just drive costs up for store owners.
Speaker 11: What we're doing with this bill is going backwards. We're antiquating people and say, ouh's something that has worked out for us for fifteen years. We're now going backwards and say we're limiting the use of this technology.
Speaker 1: The bills expected to be debated in the State Assembly in the next week. Elon Musk's interview with former President Trump on X got off to a late start. Musk says technical glitches delayed last night's event by more than forty minutes.
Speaker 7: Well pugs for the late start, we unfortunately had a massive distributed mail service attack against our servers.
Speaker 1: Thousands of users who went on x to watch the interview got error messages and couldn't log on when it finally started. It ran for about two hours, covering a range of issues including immigration, inflation, crime, and Trump's attempted assassination in Pennsylvania. More than a million people tuned into the live stream. A new study suggests there's water on Mars, and tons of it. The findings are based on computer modeling and seismic measurements sent back from NASA's Insight Lander, which shut down on Mars a couple years ago. Sean Wright from U SEE San Diego's Script's Institute of Oceanography sas researchers think water seeped underground billions of years ago.
Speaker 3: Ours once looked like Earth three billion years ago, and now it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's dry and it's desolate, and so a big question is where's the water?
Speaker 3: Where did it go?
Speaker 1: He says. The water is roughly twelve miles below the surface, and there's enough of it to form an ocean. The Dodgers are in Milwaukee to take on the Brewers tonight. First pitch goes out at five ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA so then, California has been rattled by a four point four magnitude quake. The quake hit at twelve twenty yesterday afternoon. It was centered near Highland Park. Shaking was felt around much of the Southland, but no major damage or injuries were reported. Firefighters have gained ground on the fourth largest fire ever in California. It's grown to over four hundred and twenty nine thousand acres. CalFire says the fire is still threatening the Mill Creek area and the town of Mineral in Tehama County, near the edge of Lassen Volcanic Park. The fire is thirty eight percent surrounded. Governor Newsom's official photographer costs California two hundred thousand dollars a year the state Controller's office, as the money goes to celebrity photographer Charles o'manny to document the governor. He's also worked with Mark Zuckerberg, Barack Obama, and George W. Bush. O'manny is one of the highest paid employees in the administration, making just thirty four thousand dollars less a year than the governor himself at six o five. It's handl on the news. Olympic gymnast Jordan Childs appears to have lost her fight to hold onto her bronze medal. Let's say good morning now to Nick pollo'chini, who's back with us after taking a couple days off for the D twenty three super Fan Convention. And since there's so much Disney stuff coming out, who better to talk about than a superfan himself. Nick, before we dig in, tell us what D twenty three is. We know it's a convention, and who is it for? Who goes to it?
Speaker 12: So it's specifically four you're the ultimate fan, as you already described, and Hello, it's gonna be back again, Amy. But it is for people and started back in two thousand and nine, and it is where fans have turned for all the major announcements in all the new films and television shows and the new theme park attractions that are coming.
Speaker 3: But D twenty three is that.
Speaker 12: Special additional fan base for those who love things out of the Walt Disney Company. But it's really expanded now because you've got Star Wars involved with Lucas Limited. You've also got Marble Entertainment, and then even you've got the twentieth Century Fox buyout, so you've got the Simpsons and everything to that effect, all of those fandoms are coming together. So if you think about Comic Con in San Diego, which we talked about every year, D twenty three is that for everything under the Walt Disney Company umbrella, okay.
Speaker 1: And who goes to it. It's not industry people necessarily, though industry people do go, but it's really it's for the fans. So it's like Comic Con in that rega.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like Comic Con.
Speaker 12: And so the home base is always every other year at the Anaheim Convention Center just south of Disneyland, and folks get tickets and just like you and I talked about, regularly, tickets go on sale and they are gone instantaneously because you get the most immersive experience possible by meeting you know, the voice actors behind some of our favorite characters or favorite TV show personalities. They just celebrated Gray's Anatomy and had the entire cast of Gray's Anatomy there. You were able to do a meet and greet and assigning with them, which is very very unusual, especially some cast members who haven't been on the show in years.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Oh you also have.
Speaker 12: I got to pop in on that, but I had to take off to a different panel, so I didn't get to stick around for the meet and greet portion, but I got to see it. And it's funny to think that, you know, we what on our twentieth season or more of Gray's Anatomy right now. I mean, it's been over twenty years that the show has been around, and there have been so many incredible actors that I didn't even remember had you know, short stints or had you know, these special cameo parts over the year, and they all were brought in for the special event. So it's really unique and special because things that you don't even remember from some of your favorite TV shows, or maybe if you're a fan of Disney Channel or if you're a fan of ABC Television, you don't even remember that it was there and you get to meet these folks in and their talent Talent Central area and be able to get a couple of minutes to talk to celebrities, musicians, and my favorite thing is always the Disney imagineers who are really the heart and soul of what is behind these projects that we're going to talk about, especially the attractions that come to the theme parks around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about the attractions and then also just for the fan experience as we're trying to describe this to you. So there's panels, sure, and then I've seen a couple of the videos that you had. There's like big auditorium Disney Productions. They had a full orchestra and a giant big screen in the background. And was that one of the imagineer events when they were announcing some of the new things coming?
Speaker 12: Right, So this is the first year that every year, if you think of Comic Con, we always hear about Hall H and that is the biggest presentation all the major panels down there, and up until this year, Hall D at the Anaheim Convention Center was that location. This year they took it off site to the Honda Center and twelve thousand Disney fans. So that just that's not even the attendees because there I don't know the final numbers, but we were in the tens of thousands of attendees to D twenty three, but twelve thousand of those fans got to see very first hand all the things that are happening in two special showcases, the Disney Entertainment Showcases, which focus on music, television, and film, and then the Disney Experiences Showcase, which happened to focus on the cruise lines, on the theme parks, and then other Disney regional entertainment around the globe.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's dig into some of the things that you learn now that we know all about is the convention. What are some of the coolest things that have that are coming out or that we're going to be seeing that you learned about at the expo.
Speaker 12: I think the most exciting thing that we've got locally here is Tiana's is we got a finally opening date. So even though right exactly so anticipate you and I will definitely be going to this, but November twelve, field when it will be coming.
Speaker 1: November twelfth, Okay, Yeah, it's the old Splash Mountain they've closed it down. The ride essentially the same or the path of the ride, as I understand it, it is the same, but it's completely re imagine and now it's Tiana's By You Adventure based on the Princess and the Frog, right.
Speaker 12: And I've heard so many things from the folks that have been able to experience the rebranding Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World in Orlando and say that we're really in for a special treat. Also because even though the attractions are almost identical, Disneyland has its own special accouterment that there's going to be a few special things that are just exclusive to our park, which is very exciting.
Speaker 3: So that comes up in the pretty soon.
Speaker 12: Would be probably the most unique thing is the very first Walt Disney audioonomatronic that'll be coming to Disneyland Park in the near future.
Speaker 3: Okay, it would be familiar with Yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, if you have ever been to the Mister Lincoln or President Lincoln presentation that's right there on Main Street. This is going to be in that same place, correct.
Speaker 12: So the Main Street Opera House will be hosting this brand news show called Walt Disney a Magical Light. It'll be the very first ever audio aimatronic figure of Walt Disney. It will be the ultimate audio ematronic audiono are what is the skeletal structure for all the different characters that you see in attractions at Disney Parks, and so this will be the top notch, top of the line, and it will be alternating back and forth between great moments with mister Lincoln and then also going over to this new show Walt Disney Magical Life, So you'll be able to see an experience both of those.
Speaker 3: So I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 1: Is that coming soon?
Speaker 3: That is coming soon ish? There was no official date on that.
Speaker 12: When D twenty three announcements are made, they're usually between the next three and five years out, so that's kind of the best ballpark for it. But what is coming sooner than later is going to be a new experiences to Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure. In fact, we've always known about a new e ticket ride Gut that's always been called Avengers Infinity Defense that was coming to the Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure. But we're actually getting two brand new rides. That and Stark Flight Lab. So there'll be two new rides inside of Disney California Adventure in the very near future. Both are already under development and allegedly ground has already been broken somewhere stage at Disney California Adventure for those two brand new attraction.
Speaker 1: Which is great because when you walk through Adventures Campus, I mean you and I have done it, and I do it with almost everybody that I go to Disneyland, we go there's a lot of wasted space in here, and we go it's probably not it's just they're going to roll something out eventually, so good to see that they're going to do that, and then tell us about the Cocoa Ride.
Speaker 3: Real quick, Cocoa Ride is going to be coming up.
Speaker 12: That's a little bit further out, but that will be in actually a new land that is coming to the Disneyland resort and will be part of the Disneyland Forward project and expansion. And then really two quick things to throw in their avatar Land officially confirmed that they have broken granted that at Disney California Adventure, so you'll be able to experience and it will be based on the new movies, So we don't even know what's going to be there quite yet because we have not met the characters from the new Avatar films. And the additional thing that will be happening is a rebranding or an additional show to the Smugglers run on the Milayim Falcon.
Speaker 3: Grogu and the Mandalorian.
Speaker 12: Will be showing up there in the very new future to be helping out to defend the Galaxy.
Speaker 1: Oh that'll be fun, okay. And then this way, well there's a lot coming. We got to run because we're out of time. Course, you icket talk Disney all day long. Indeed, at the Magic Kingdom in Florida, they have a new Monster's Ink ride and I am so psyched. I gotta go to this because if you remember Monsters, Inc. Remember they have the closet doors that they go to do the scaring of the kids and they go through this wild ride and I remember seeing the movie ten twenty years ago, going that could be a ride at Disneyland. They're making it a ride.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So it's going to be coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando. It'll be the very first suspended coaster ever in a Disney Park, which means you'll be kicking your legs freely underneath it, and it will be zooming through the door vault in the Monster's Ink Factory the Scare Factory, just like Mike and Sooli, and you'll be able to see Boo and a whole bunch of characters from the Monsters Inc.
Speaker 3: Universe.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 1: I knew Nick was the perfect person to talk to you about all this because we we've heard what's coming, but it's fun to like listen to find out a little bit more about it and looking forward to our next adventure at the park. Thanks Nick, Pauli Jochini.
Speaker 3: You got it. No worries.
Speaker 1: A magnitude four point four earthquake rumbled under Highland Park yesterday shortly afternoon. A water line at Pasadena City Hall was ruptured in the quake, but there are no reports of major damage or in injuries. The quake was felt across much of La Orange and Riverside Counties. A man who tried to intervene in a couple's fight ended up being stabbed outside a convenience store in North Hollywood. The man stabbed late last night near Laurel Canyon Boulevard and van Owen Street has been taken to the hospital with critical injuries. Minnesota governor and Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Walls will make his first solo appearance as Kamala Harris's running mate today at the LA Convention Center. Later this afternoon, Walls is attending a fundraiser in Newport Beach. Tickets cost between one thousand and one hundred thousand dollars. At six pozho five, it's handle on the news. Israel is bracing for what it calls an imminent attack from Iran. At five poin fifty, Joel Largsguard says, there's a place you can tap into some extra cash, But the bigger question is should you. Joel's going to tell us all about that. Right now, Let's say good morning to the Associate vice president of Operations and Planning at California Lutheran University, Ryan van Omereran oh Omrin? Is that did I say that? Right? Ryan?
Speaker 7: Yes? That's crap.
Speaker 1: Thank you, okay, Ran, Thanks so much for taking up a few minutes to talk to us this morning. We wanted to talk to you because you've got some robots buzzing around sports fields at cal Lutheran and want to know what they're doing. And so if you could tell us about that, that'd be great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how fun. I don't want to make the story too long, but I'll say it all started with the Los Angeles Rams locating for our campus a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Right, oh, for training camper.
Speaker 7: Well, no, their practice home has been at Cal Lutheran for years. All right, So that led to angel City Football Club are you familiar?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 7: Okay, the premier women's soccer team, And for them, we did the maintenance okay, okay, And so they had very strict rules for striping and such, and so we bought this robot, okay, and so so the robots save time of course, and maybe these nice crisp lights for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've you've taken the people out of the equation and now the robots do all the striping for you.
Speaker 7: No, well, that's a kind of a misconception, right, Okay, Yes, somebody's got to control it, and somebody's got to fill the paint of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And uh, and so so we have the robot, right, So then time goes on and we're replacing the turf in our artificial turf stadium, right, and uh, then we realize, right, you've seen the artificial urf stadium, right, typically they have lines of all different types.
Speaker 1: And oh did we lose Ryan? Oh no, you're there. Okay, they have all kinds of different lines and and then what did you what did you find because of that?
Speaker 7: Right? So we said let's not do any lines, right okay, and uh and use a robots paintful lines. And so then we bought another robot. Are able to do customs and setups for different teams.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then Ryan, you're saying, you can do custom setups for different teams, different sports. So can they write words like they could put la galaxy and they could put rams and stuff on the field.
Speaker 7: Yes, it can do virtually anything, right, if we wanted to say welcome graduates or something like that, it can do something like that.
Speaker 1: And how much more efficient are they than people? You're saying, it's not replacing people's but they sure make the fields look good. And are they a lot faster than if with people were outstrets?
Speaker 7: Yes? Yes, thank you, great question. Yeah, it's typically a good four to six times faster. Soccer in particular would take about four hours. Football takes them most time, but soccer would take about four hours. That can now be done in about twenty minutes because the lines are relatively simple. Wow okay, and on top of that much less paint, So he was about twenty percent the amount of paint as a traditional sprayer.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then could they eventually be used for more like permanent paint jobs on campus or so they could do other stuff around the campus as well, not just on the fields.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's another great question. So we switched the field now from soccer to football or whatever, and football in particular has a lot of lines, as you can imagine, right, and so right now it's a manual process to get the old lines off. It's a special paint that's easier, but it still takes effort and time and scrubbing. And so we're all waiting for the field or the stripe removed a robot to be next.
Speaker 1: Oh that'd be things a lot yeah okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, And then we still have two very nice natural terf fields on campus, one of those where Angel City plays, And so right, we do the stripeed and that's great, but we're looking forward to a time where we can do the mowing too.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: It would be like a room of for lawns, right exactly, very cool.
Speaker 7: Okay, for right now.
Speaker 1: We've got we've got the robots out making the lines, making them pretty, doing it quickly, saving paint. And I'm guessing that we're going to see a lot more of these in the future. But California Lutheran kind of jumping on the bandwagon early on this one. Thanks so much, Ryan for taking some time to talk to you, talk to us about this new technology. Always fun to see new innovations. Thanks so much. Try and have a great day.
Speaker 7: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man accused of punching, pushing onto the tracks, and dragging a woman onto a freeway at a Metro station in Pasadena's due in court today. Thirty three year old Jan Flores is facing attempted murder and other charges. He could get life in prison if convicted of the attack last week. Investigators say the attack was completely unprovoked. A man who shot and killed a woman during an argument on a Metro b red Line train as it approached the Hollywood and Vine station in twenty twenty one has been since to sixty one years to life in prison. The man had previously been convicted of assaulting a passenger on a metro train in twenty eighteen and attempted robbery in twenty nineteen. Ukraine's surprise offensive into Russia has expanded into another region. ABC's Ian Pannell says it's the biggest occupation of Russian territory by a foreign army since the Second World War.
Speaker 8: Pus firefights have been reported as Russia urgently sends in defensive units, attacking with drones, and over one hundred thousand residents forced to flee their homes.
Speaker 1: He says Russian President Putin has ordered his defense ministry to kick the enemy out of the territory. American gymnast Jordan Childs may not be able to keep her Olympic bronze medal, even though USA Gymnastics says it has evidence showing the appeal that bumped her up to third place was made in time. The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled the appeal from Child's coach was four seconds too late, and the decision was upheld by the International Olympic Committee. USA Gymnastics said yesterday it was notified by the Court of Arbitration for Sport that their rules do not allow for an arbitral award to be reconsidered even when conclusive new evidence is presented. A doctor in Newport Beach says some Olympic spectators took home ankle, shoulder, or wrist injuries instead of a gold medal.
Speaker 3: Don't try to do it in your living room.
Speaker 13: Hogue Orthopedic Institute medical director doctor Alan Bayer says the increase in injuries are typically young people trying a Simone Biles backflip into some couch cushions.
Speaker 3: But remember this.
Speaker 13: Is their full time job, with professional coaches, with on site medical people.
Speaker 9: They're not just going out for a casual five minute matt routine or a skateboard run.
Speaker 3: They're doing this every single day to hone their talents.
Speaker 13: Bear says some injuries came from tipsy adults trying a handspring or those thinking they get still somersault like they did in gymnastics as a kid. In Orange County, Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not even going to try that. Southern California has been rattled by a four point four magnitude quake. It hit at twelve twenty yesterday afternoon, woke me up during my nap. It was centered in Highland Park. Shaking was felt around much of the Southland. No major damage or injuries were reported. LA County Sheriff Luna and other officials are expected to announce what they says a major breakthrough in the murder of a woman found in South Pasadena nearly forty years ago. Kathyn's small body was found in nineteen eighty six. Her murder's been linked to a convicted serial killer. More information is expected later this morning. Despite some technical issues, Elon Musk has had a live sit down with former President Trump on X that went on for over two hours. It was delayed for almost an hour because of what Musk claimed was a distributed denial of service attack or a DDS on the platform. More than one point three million people were listening to the discussion at times. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning, gondola backers in La have won around in court. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of How to Money. Right here on KFI, It's Joel Larsgard.
Speaker 3: Morning Joel, Morning, Amy, So right out.
Speaker 1: Of the bat or right out of the box. Credit card debt is rising.
Speaker 14: That's not good, right, No, of course, no, I don't do I even have to provide any more analysis. Just the answer is no, right, And yeah, there's some new stats revealed by TransUnion, and we see the collective amount of credit card debt that American ZOE just continued to tick up. We passed a trillion dollars I don't know, maybe like nine months ago, and now we're up to one point one four trillion. And it's not just the overall headline number. It's that more Americans overall are in recurring credit card debts, so they're not paying off their balance on time and unfull at the end of the month. Half of Americans fall into that category now, and so it's just and the average amount of debt ode is over six thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: That continues to go up as well. And we all know with interest rates.
Speaker 14: Credit card debt interest rates aren't great right now, which means that you're just you're treading water and in fact you're actually slowly but surely sinking if you continue to hold onto that credit card debt.
Speaker 1: Do they have to notify you if they're raising rates or do they just do it?
Speaker 14: It usually happens in the statement, right, But this is one of those simple debt right exactly do most people look at their statements?
Speaker 3: And that's been true.
Speaker 14: Let's say you have a home equity line of credit, like as rates have gone up, that interest rate has gone up, and so it's becoming more expensive to carry that debt.
Speaker 3: It's so important to pay this off.
Speaker 14: And so I see this, and I see we're also seeing more people falling behind on their payments as well. This is not ridiculously overwhelmingly alarming. This is kind of patently American in so many ways. But the patent American lifestyle isn't getting us to the places we want to go financially. And so I think that when you're in credit card debt like this, Let's say you are one of these people have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of credit card debt, it is it's really hard to meet those financial goals that you have. It's stressful from a day to day and week to week basis, And so I want you to form a plan to get out of credit card debt. The thing is, it's really easy to keep doing what you're doing. And continue to pay the credit card company's massive interest over time and just pay that minimum payment or whatever. But that's not the way ultimately to make progress. And so there's a free tool called undebt dot. It literally you type that into your browser, you'll be at a website and it's a free toll to help you create a get out of debt plan. So whether you're doing the debt snowball or the debt avalanche approach, you can kind of choose, or you can even choose like a hybrid payoff plan. But the key is when I see these stats, I want to help people formulate a plan to get out of it.
Speaker 3: And it might have taken you years and years and years to get into this credit card debt.
Speaker 14: Even if it let's say it is four or five six thousand dollars, it might take a year or eighteen months to get out of it. You're not going to get out of it overnight, but having the plan, having a timeline to get rid of the debt is crucial.
Speaker 1: That's where I think that we as instant gratification people, and I guess I'm pointing at myself, like I want to be able to pay the whole thing off and if I can't, I get discouraged about it. Like the whole planning for it is harder than just taking a chunk of money. But then, and I know that that's not smart, but I think that that's the way that we are both in purchasing things that get us in the debt and then also trying to pay them off.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's like the status quo just becomes okay. And I think we just again you meant you refer to people not looking at the bills, and I think when you don't look at the numbers, and there is this place on your statement where you can see, if I only pay the minimum payment, it's going to take me twelve fifteen years to get out of this debt.
Speaker 3: And we just choose to kind.
Speaker 14: Of plug our ears, cover our eyes and not realize or not engage with that reality. And that if you are proactive and you're thoughtful about okay, cool, where can I cut back and maybe cut back even and there's so many resources this how can I cut back even in ways that aren't going to impact my lifestyle? I think lots of people are like budget or save, well, then that's going to like cramp my style, and I'm not going to be able to live the life I want. There's so many ways to cut back in areas that aren't going to impact or you have a negative effect on your current lifestyle, but it's so crucial. And then funnel that extra money through this payoff plan towards the credit card debt so you can be free of it, because truly, not only is it a great thing for your finances, it's a great thing for your stress and anxiety levels too.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if you're looking for tips undebt it or undebt.
Speaker 3: Dot it, that's right, yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's move on from credit card debt to student debt. A lot of people think that they're not going to have to it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So this was a new new numbers that came from a Sally made report and so it apparently half of student loan bars with student loan debt are saying, I'm expecting that I'm not going to have to pay this back. And we have created kind of a culture at this point with multiple attempts at student loan forgiveness that have been struck down at this point. Even the just Generous Save plan right now is in limbo, and that was just a reduced timeline for forgiveness, and it remains to be seen whether or not that's going to be fully implemented. I guess it's just scary to me that people are counting their chickens before they hatch. Is there a potential for student loan forgiveness? Sure, and could Congress potentially act. I mean maybe I'm not really used to Congress doing productive things, but if they do, it's possible. But the way it's been attempted so far, these attempts a student loan forgiveness have been found to be unconstitutional. And so while I think there are things you can do in when it comes to paying off your student lif loans to where you're not necessarily getting them, making that your top priority, and getting rid of those student debt, that student loan debt as quickly as possible in case there is some sort of forgiveness that comes down the pike, I just don't love the idea that people are assuming that their student loans will be forgiven because it just doesn't look like right now, given the current trajectory, that that is likely to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if it happens it's a great thing, but don't count on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And if you are strapped for cash, you can take some money out of your four oh one k.
Speaker 3: Right, don't say it, Amy, don't say that out loud.
Speaker 1: You started it, you gave me the topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's true. Okay, let's talk about this.
Speaker 14: So there were new rules that allow for people this year to take money out of their four oh one k pretty much, no questions ask and they're all penalty right without paying ten percent penalty.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 14: And so the penalty is there for a reason. It's the slap on the hand when you're getting the cookie out of the cookie jar and your mom's like, I said, no cookies, right, And the whole point of the penalty is to incentivize us to keep our money inside of those tax advantage retirement accounts for longer and think about our future selves ten twenty thirty years down the road, depending on how close we are to retirement. But these new rules allow us to take use our four o on and k or iras as a glorified emergency fund. And there's this USA Today headline it said need some quick cash. You're allowed to raid your four oh one K, and I read stuff like that, and I know that people are maybe reading the paper or skimming the headlines and they they're saying, Oh, goodie, I've got a vacation I want to take, or you know, my car is feeling a little long in the tooth. I think, like i'd like to upgrade that I'm going to tap my four oh one K for money. And so I think the way that this is getting framed is, at least to some people, at least the way they're interpreting it is like, great, I can start to take money out of my retirement account before I reach retirement age. There's a little bit small truth to that, because you can take a thoud dollars out for pretty much any reason.
Speaker 3: They're saying it's for.
Speaker 14: They're calling it a hardship withdrawal, but you don't really have to prove any sort of hardship. And so, yes, it's possible to take a little bit of money out of your form and K do I want you to do that? No, because you're impacting the compounding returns that those dollars are going to experience. And that's the whole point of stocking that money into those accounts. It's for decades down the road. And the key here to avoiding tapping your retirement accounts is to not invest until you have a decent emergency fund in place. We've got something at how tomoney dot com if you click the start here button, it's called the Money Gears and it tells you exactly what order you should handle things, and the emergency fund is one of those first things, because if you start investing, you're like, well, I want to grow my wealth.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 14: I want you to do that, but make sure you have liquid cash on hand first, so you don't have to pull money out at a disadvantageous time from a retirement account to meet current needs.
Speaker 1: All right, Joe Larscard. Just because you can does mean you should. And that's just one brilliant piece of advice that you're going to here when you listen to how to Money with Joel right here on KFI Sunday's noon to two. You can also follow Joel at how to Money. Joel, thanks as always for the great advice.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All Right, this is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.