Speaker 1: What is this Saturday morning on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Believe me, if you're confused, you have no idea how I feel.
Speaker 1: Gary Jeff Walker in for Scott Sloan. So I get to call.
Speaker 2: At about nine oh four, just as the nine o'clock news is finishing from our boss, Scott Reinhardt, program Director. I said, and I saw his name pop up on my phone, and I'm going, oh, what's he want? This could finally be the day when they say, Gary Jeff, you don't need to come in anymore. But no, instead of that, it was do you know you're on for Sloan this morning? And obviously I'm sitting in my skivbies in my front room, haven't even had my first cup of coffee. I slept in this morning, and I'm like, uh no, oh, sure enough. Look back at the schedule that Dave Armberister printed out two months ago. There it is October twenty fourth, nine am to noon. Guess whose name is beside the time it would have been mine. So I guess without any kind of preparation whatsoever, I wanted to ask you, what's one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened to you at work? I have another example, it must have been nineteen eighty seven eighty eight, so we're going back a little ways. Obviously, we had these radio junkets to Walt Disney World where Disney would open up a new attraction or they opened up a new hotel. We were there for the opening of the MGM gram Studio part of the park, which isn't there anymore. We were there for the debut of the movie Dick Tracy, you know that classic with Warren Beatty and Madonna. Anyway, on this one particular occasion, we're staying at the contemporary resort with the monorail running through it and iconic building there at Walt Disney World in Florida. We're doing radio broadcasts in the afternoon, but during the day we get to have our run of the park. And you know, it's a free trip to Disney. That's why I can't go to Walt Disney World, not that I want to. I don't have kids. There's no over writing desire to go back to the most wonderful place on earth because it's number one, not and number two. I've been there free, like four or five times. I'm spoiled. But walking down to breakfast, it's about this time of the morning, kind of a late oh, lay in bed in the nice luxury hotel room, get up to eat free breakfast.
Speaker 1: It was a character breakfast.
Speaker 2: You know, the character breakfast where you know snow Whites there, Chip and Dale are there. All the characters are there unless they're in a hallway off to the side with their costume head off, smoking a cigarette. And I'm on my way to the contemporary resort's breakfast buffet, and I'm walking in the hall and here is actually a couple of people, and I believe one of the people on that particular trip was I mentioned program director Scott Reinhardt. His dad and mom were on that trip. And I'm walking. I just had shorts on, no underwear. Just as we get to the character breakfast, another one of our caravan and there was there for the radio station decides to pants me. Just as we get to where all the families and the kids and the characters are boom, and I am dangling out there, literally dangling out there with nothing to do but smile, excuse myself and pull my pants back up, naked from the waist down. That kind of stuff. That's embarrassment at work, being a half an hour late. But as I mentioned to to Scott, at least I can't charge you for show prep because I obviously didn't do any So the most embarrassing experience you've ever had at work that you could tell on the radio? Curious to hear your story in this half hour five three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred the big one, And this is me with my pants down dangling in your face. I'm terribly sorry, all right, Gary Jafen, for slowing seven utter WLW in the topic for the moment most embarrassing things that have ever happened to you while you were at work. I'm experiencing one right now. Dave from Dayton, good morning. You're on seven out of WLW. You got an embarrassing work story?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good morning, my friend, Gary jaff Nice to hear you in for slowey well, good and.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Back my younger days, I was working two jobs and to try to pay the bills, and took a job as a server at a nice steakhouse up in Columbus. And while I was unloading mugs with a picture of beer, I didn't take in an account the weight distribution of my tray, and the whole picture went crashing on the table all over the guests, and I just couldn't believe I did that. I didn't apologize enough. I didn't last too much longer the server. It was not my not my thing.
Speaker 1: Not your forte especially huh.
Speaker 3: No no, yeah, dump dumping a whole picture of beer, you know, on a table and just trying to you know, just that. Yeah, that one is my all time. But I've also in my recent job in medical sales, I passed. I go into surgery sometimes, but my one of my first surgeries I passed out and had to be helped out of the room. But that's uh, that's another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the first time I ever gave blood, I passed out the second the blood started coming out of my own So I can understand if you're passing out in the middle of a surgery. It's not pretty to see. And it is my time as a bartender, almost fifteen years now, I have knocked over numerous glasses and bottles, and you're right there in front of everybody. I mean, there's nothing you can do except apologize or hopefully not get it on your customer. As you were describing, it's yeah, that's again, that's one of those dangling in front of everybody to see moments.
Speaker 3: And you had a drink. A drink is one thing. A drink is one thing, But an entire picture of beer that is pouring on four people sitting in a booth, that's, yeah, well a little too much.
Speaker 2: A drip is one thing. Having the whole Spicott on display is quite another. Thank you so much day from Dayton, oh man. And that has happened over and over and over again. And our business. When you're late, your boss just is instant the only one who knows you're late. Your coworkers aren't the only one who knows you're late. Whoever may be listening to the radio knows you're late.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They didn't set me up for that. They didn't say, well, Gary, Joe's supposed to be here, but he's late. I don't think they did. But I wasn't listening because I wasn't planning on working this morning. There are a lot of things. I mean, the first thing I see when I walk in somebody, I guess McConnell or whoever was in here last left Fox nineteen on. And I look up and I see the little underheadline of a story two women talking together is combating dead butt syndrome, whatever that was. And if there's dead butt syndrome and it can be fixed or cured or combatd there's probably some medication involved. I didn't see the story because you know, viagra came about accidentally. It was a blood pressure medication where they're using it for blood pressure, and they found out it had other you know, I guess positive side effects anyway. Embarrassing work stories five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. It's a beautifully clear, cold morning too, So that was that that aided in me waking up on my way up seventy one this morning, and just as I get onto four seventy one. I live in Southgate, I get up to the interstate and I'm already in a panic mode. Holy crap, I got to get there and now, and there's a car accident, which thankfully was only an exit away, and I got around it. Bob in Springboro, have you got an embarrassing work store.
Speaker 1: You'd like to share?
Speaker 4: It was some time ago, but it was embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: My first real job was at Frish's Big Boy, and I was breading chicken. That was my job at the moment, and the shift manager walked by, grabbed a very little bit of flour, just a teensy bit, and he shot it into the air toward me and said, poof, you're a chicken. And I thought, oh, that was that was cute, that was clever. Well, two weeks later, if you're a chicken, that's just what he said. It was, it was what it was. Two weeks later, I have a different shift manager, and unfortunately he decided to dress in all black, black slack, black shirt, black tie. And he walks by and I'm breading chicken. Well, my fingers, my hands were coated. What like can happen? Right? Flour and milk and eggs and.
Speaker 2: Dude, I worked. I worked in a Smorgasborg kitchen. Among the items that we carried on the buffet line was fried chicken. I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: And I'm not an experienced poof you're a chicken person, but I thought that.
Speaker 1: It was funny ex chicken person.
Speaker 4: Maybe that other manager was, I don't know, but he was much better at it than I was. Because I decided that I was going to do the poof you're a chicken on this manager. So I grabbed some flour, picked it up, imitating that other ship manager, or so I thought. And when I took the flour and said, poof, you're a chicken. It was exactly at that moment I realized I had grabbed way too much flower, and I shot it onto this manager and evidently this is not a fricious thing, because he had no idea what was coming. And he looked at me, and when he opened his eyes, that was really about the only thing that wasn't white on his entire face and shoulders. Oh man, and he didn't he just looked at me and I when I shot it, I just said, pooh, would you believe poof, you're a chicken. And he looked at me, not understanding any of this, and just said I'll be back, and he left. And he came back about five minutes later, doing the best he could with what I had done to him, and said, just simply, I believe in giving people a second chance.
Speaker 1: God bless him.
Speaker 4: And I and I think I worked there through summer and winter breaks for the next three years.
Speaker 2: So you know, oh, that wasn't the end of your frish's career then, because that would be that would be a that would be a career ender for a lot of people in a lot of situations like that.
Speaker 4: Bob, Well, that was one of the best Chicken brothers there was. Well, well think he I think he took that into play poof.
Speaker 1: That was a good story. Thanks Tim on a cell. Are you there, Tim, I'm here? Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: I used to sell bath this year toilet paper and I went into a customer and the customer.
Speaker 4: Wasn't ready for me.
Speaker 6: So I decided to use the facility, which meant that I had to walk through the office staff, back to the restroom, did what I needed to do, walk back out, walk through the lobby, got into my appointment, sat down, got a truckload to toilet paper, walked out. I come walking out and my wife happened to be with you in this business trickments. She looked at me and I had twenty five feet of toilet paper behind me.
Speaker 4: Oh that was embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, anytime you got the toilet paper stuck on the shoe or whatever. I know somebody who purposely came out of uh came came out of a locker room for a seftball game and purposely had toilet paper stringing behind him as he ran out into the field. It was just unrolling uh as he as he did that. Thanks Tim for the story. Keagan in Bellevue, you got an embarrassing works story.
Speaker 5: Uh, yeah, I actually have.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: I have two uh and this is way back in the day. For the longest time my adult career, I've worked in restaurants.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: And this is my first job at the Macaroni Grill. And both of these stories occurred back to back, two days in a row. The first one, h, I you know, I had this table. It was a four top. It was a mom and dad their little girl, and then they were having her friend over for like a sleepover, and they were taking them out to dinner. And so I'm running their food and I was really busy, and the plates had just come out of one of those things where they came out of dishwashers, still kind of wet, but you put food on and whatever.
Speaker 4: And you run it.
Speaker 7: And so the bottom of this plate was really slippery. So I go to serve the food, and I serve everybody's and then get to the little girl who was a guest and drop her spaghetti and meatballs right in her lap, and I'll never forget her face of just sheer horror, started to cry, you know, ruined her evening. She was in this little dress and it was covering spaghetti sauce. I couldn't have felt more like a just a total idiot. The very next day, I'm still trying to shake this off. I was working a lunch shift and one of our managers was off but brought his family in to eat.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: Ten it could have been like ten to twelve people and his it wasn't even my table. His appetizers of tomato brisketto which I'll never forget that.
Speaker 4: Either.
Speaker 7: We're up in the window and I say, hey, I'll run it. I want to say I to him. So I get to the table and I go to h I go to deliver it to him and I.
Speaker 5: Say hey, Tony.
Speaker 4: And as I'm saying that.
Speaker 7: I was moving a little too quickly and I stopped and all of the bruskette slid off, slid off the plate and onto his lap. Very nice, and yeah, I just you know I planned. It wasn't the end of my career there, but you know it was.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: I'll never forget those two days in Row. I stop running people's food after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would that would be a good good sign maybe that you either need to slow down or stop doing that. Keig and thank you very much. Yeah, nothing gives the gift the continuing gift, like pasta sauce on your clothes. Not to play, used to be in a hurry necessarily an Italian restaurant. I will say that the two and a half three years I worked at a restaurant as a teenager, we're probably and I was telling my wife Chris to two point oh this the other night, just reminiscing about it. We're probably the most important years that I could have spent learning how to deal with people, learning how to deal with the public directly, and it is paid off to this day. One minute left, Dan and Batavia. You got a quick embarrassing work story for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was selling cars way back in the day and I was taking this guy on a test ride, but to need a gas and we had to wait for a lot tech and I kept waiting waiting. This guy is getting impatient. I thought, well, heck, I know had a pump gas. So I go and go to fill this tank out. He and I go over and the lever was clicked on and I nailed that guy right in the back of the neck with geez oh. I mean I just started there two like three weeks, you know. I was like, oh my god, so I can hold on sirtain. I'm running around, I go into service trying to find towels. I see him pulling off and leaving the.
Speaker 2: Question, Yeah, that was my question. You didn't make the sale, did you, Dan?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was kind to make sure, no matter what happened, you make the sale. Always be closing, as uh.
Speaker 1: Is in the movie Glenn.
Speaker 9: Ross, I should have got my car and following and said hold on, hold on, oh it was.
Speaker 1: It was amazing that.
Speaker 2: That would have made things incrementally worse. Thanks for the story, man, good luck. All right, so we've gotten that out of the way, and we'll see what happens after ten o'clock because I'm not quite sure. Gary Jeffin for Sloany News Now on seven hundred WLW, who was doing to be an am all right, trying to work out our situation here with a late talk show host and phones that aren't cooperating at the moment. Anyway, they worked fine during that last segment. Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: So I noticed.
Speaker 2: During the news and this has been the latest news cycle twenty four to seven news cycle occurrence is that now Trump is Hitler and Stalin and Mussolini all combined, according to this writer at The Atlantic, and all these stories from former staff members John Kelly was the chief of staff in Trump's first administration, saying that Hitler did some good things and he needed generals like Hitler had, and all of the like, this is the October surprise. Even as President Trump is moving ahead of Kamala Harris in the polls, this is what the Democrat Party is going with. But you'll notice Trump's a fascist. Trump's Hitler, over and over and over again. We've been hearing this now. We were hearing this when he was in office from the unhinged far left, and we heard it. This is not a new story. This is not a new narrative. But it's an act of desperation by Democrats to now make this their campaign slogan. We don't have any real plans are going to help anybody. We've got somebody who is a full on anti Christian, anti Catholic candidate. We've got somebody who has never really accomplished anything. She claims to have been a very very effective prosecutor. Apparently that didn't work, and the economic plan is melted down into a word salad of opportunity economy, and nobody knows what the hell that is. I know it's an eighty two page plan, but it's mostly a bunch of empty promises and giveaways trying to buy votes. So now Trump is Hitler. That's what they're going with. It's quite amazing. I don't think it's going to work because we had four years of President Trump in office and he didn't let's see, he didn't take anybody's guns. The economy was in great shape pre COVID, and inflation was down, all these other little things that you can pick apart. We know what a President Trump presidency a second term would be, like, we understand that. And now he's hitler again. And the more you hear that repeated on the news, the more you can just kind of like, Okay, where's the proof outside of I mean, what someone said in his staff in his general area. There were plenty of staffers who had a lot to say about Lyndon Bates Johnson, for example, about black people in the oval office. It's been well documented in books on more than one occasion, and yet Lyndon Bains Johnson has looked as the great champion of civil rights signed a voting act, the Great Society Generational Welfare. Donald Trump did not do anything that that was damaging to the country. He did a lot of things that were damaging to the establishment and the swamp. And that's what they're afraid of again, dictator on day one. Yeah, whatever, you can take all the words out of context you want. Trump is not Hitler or Stalin or Mussolini. We weren't rolled over by tanks in twenty seventeen when Donald Trump took office, and he did not go after his political enemies like the Biden Harris regime has time and their doj has time and time. Again, I wanted to since we're, you know, less than two weeks from the election, I wanted to get a look at the Kentucky side of the Ledger just a moment. We have Chaplain Lee Watts. He is the chaplain of the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort, Kentucky, and there are a couple of really big issues on the ballot in Kentucky this time around, Lee, just to get some clarity on these issues, because there's no real there's no real voting that's going to affect the balance of power in the legislature necessarily this time around, and the governor's race is still you know, a ways off in an election away. But tell me about issues one and two on the ballot in Kentucky, because people need to not just vote for the president, they need to vote all the way down the line. Lee, good morning, and thank you for coming on with us.
Speaker 5: Thank you Gary, Jeff. It's always a joy to be on your program. Yes, every Kentucky will have two ballot measures amendments on your ballot. Now, keep in mind these might be on the backside, so if you vote straight ticket, you.
Speaker 1: Did not vote at all.
Speaker 5: So I don't encourage straight ticket voting. Make each individual selection flip that ballot over and vote on these ballot measures. Amendment one has to do with saying Currently in Kentucky law, it says you must be a citizen in order to vote. However, it does not say who is is not allowed to vote, and so those who would want to have illegals voting in our elections can use this as a loophole. Therefore, Amendment one closes that loophole. It says you must be a citizen to vote, and if you're not a citizen, you may not vote. So it's closing that loophole, only allowing citizens to vote nobody else. It's a very good amendment. It's a shame we need that nowadays. The founding fathers thought we had common sense, but that I guess that left a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's important. It's importantly because other states and other governors who understand that you have to be a citizen to vote in elections, like Glenn Youngkin in Virginia has been sued by the Biden Harris doj for signing into legislation you can't vote if you're not a citizen. We're going to remove you from the voter roles. And in Georgia likewise, and in other states where governors and people who care about election integrity have made, you know, great strives and they've they've done it legally to say the obvious that you have to be an American citizen to vote in the selection. And yet they're being sued by the Department of Justice, which I think.
Speaker 5: Is yeah, because the Department of Justice and the Biden administration want to give up American sovereignty to a more globalist type thing with a world citizen, and that's.
Speaker 1: Part of their agenda.
Speaker 5: That's one of the reasons that I really love President Trump with his America First and American sovereignty policies. And they are terrified of that, and as we've seen, will do anything and everything to try to stop that amendment too. Yeah, let's give you that is the is the school choice bill right now. Under Kentucky law, the legislature is only allowed to fund public schools and may not use money for any kind of other education.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Here, three or four years ago, they passed a law which would allow people to voluntarily donate to a fund that could be used to offset the price of private education. And if you donated to this fund, then you could write that off on your taxes. The left so much didn't want anybody to get any other money that they took this to court and had it thrown out because the way the laws phrases, they can't use any money for anything.
Speaker 1: Other than public schools.
Speaker 5: So they've come up with amendment to which allow requires them to continue to fund the public schools as they have been, but would also allow them to use money to offset the price of private education. Right now, only people who are financially better off are able to afford private education, but this would allow them to set up things such as that voluntary donation fund that could help people of lower income also have educational opportunities. It's a wonderful amendment I fully supported.
Speaker 2: And yet there is so much money being spent as we close in towards the election lely watch on telling people to vote no on Amendment Too in Kentucky. I got the mailer in my box this week. Again it's like the fourth one I've gotten. They are spending a lot of money. The teachers' unions in Kentucky, which is not the teachers, it's the teachers' unions and some other very powerful forces are spending a whole lot of money convincing people that they should not vote yes on Amendment Too in Kentucky. And it just seems like they're very desperate too to hold on to their power when it's the public money.
Speaker 5: I believe it's more about power, even more than so money, because if people actually had a choice, I'll give you an example. We had a legislator who will remain nameless, but a legislator came to me and said that they had some superintendents and principles coming to their office and say, if people could choose to go to our school or not, nobody would choose to go to our school, so we have to give them no choice. He said, well, that's the argument for the other side. And if people find out that they can get private education and get far better results, we're going to pull their kids out of schools. And that's what I think the left is concerned about, is that if you have one school that's pushing this Wolk philosophy and another one that's pushing reading, writing, and arithmetic, people are going to take their kids out of school one and put them in school too. So I think it's a great thing for Kentucky parents and students.
Speaker 2: Whenever there is more competition, there is more success.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, any it's a basic free enterprise system, you get lower cost and higher quality. So if Amendment two passes in Kentucky, public schools aren't going to be defunded, right, that is correct.
Speaker 5: The legislature is still under all of its requirements to continue to fund the public schools as it has been.
Speaker 1: They just don't want the competition exactly it.
Speaker 5: Now we have a lot of private school people, homeschoolers and Christian schools who are concerned learned that if the state gives them money some way, which this amendment does not do, but they're concerned if the state gives them money, that that will be a way for the state to take control of.
Speaker 1: What they do.
Speaker 5: However, there was a law passed in twenty twenty one. It's KRS one forty one point five to twenty that is a safeguard for this. This is what it says, and I'll just read it for your word for word. An education service provider shall not be required to alter its creed practices, admissions policies, or curriculum in order to accept payments from an EOA, which is Education Opportunity account. So right there in the law is already protection for private school people that the government's not going to be using amendment to to take over your school, right well, and.
Speaker 2: That's that's at least I understand their thinking in that, Lee, and I'm sure you do too. Where there's a carrot from the government, there's all was a stick, right Yeah, But in this case. That's that's not going to happen in Kentucky if Amendment two passes. What I'm afraid of is that the bombardment of outside money and money by the teachers unions are going to convince people that the public schools are just fine. All we need is more money. That's all they ever need is more money.
Speaker 5: And right go ahead, I say, I thought the lottery was supposed to fix all those problems. And when you talk about the schools being fine, I encourage everybody to go to ky school report card dot com. And if you go there, this is the Kentucky Department of Education's own website and you can look up every single school and I challenge anybody to find a single school that doesn't have a failing grade. And that's the reason we need some competition and parents to have choices in Kentucky because you look at these different schools, like I'm looking over at some different schools and they're just doing atrociously. So we definitely, I mean, they're getting f's literally in every single subject and every single grade level.
Speaker 2: And it's not necessarily the rural schools, although they're not thriving either, but it's the big city. It's Jefferson County and the like that are really really having a hard time educating children with our public schools.
Speaker 5: The schools are actually doing worse than the rural schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so vote yes on Amendment two. Obviously vote yes on an amendment one. I'm gonna need to go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was saying.
Speaker 5: The legislature really works very hard this year to make the language very understandable. Sometimes they're given a hard time that is confusing. This time they really buckled down and they've made a very straightforward that's a simply guess on both.
Speaker 2: All right, listen, thank you for your time, and thank you God bless you for the fine work you're doing at our capital in Frankfort. Lee Watch is the chaplain of the Kentucky State Capital. God and government together. I hey you two, Lee Watts there, we'll take a quick break and come back on seven. Utter wlw Gary Jeffin for sloaning. As we take closer to election day, people voting right now in Ohio and all around the country. We're also closing out at the end of October Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and this is particularly personal and special to me because of course My wife was diagnosed with the breast cancer tumor in her right breasts a little over two years ago. And you know that first weekend after she found out. You can imagine if you've been through it yourself, the fear and the doubt, the uncertainty of what lies ahead. You know a lot of people hear that news and think instantly that they're they're bound for an early grave, and that happens.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: She went this morning for her follow up mammogram. She was determined cancer free a year. Almost a year ago, she went for her enhanced mammogram again this morning, and I got the news as I was frantically driving my way up here for a shift. I didn't know I was going to do, to tell me that the scan went great, totally clear, two years cancer free. Congratulations babe. And for everyone else who is dealing with this and who knows this story in their own lives, I guess you would agree with me in a unified voice if you haven't done it, especially ladies, no matter what age you are, get scanned, get the mammogram, find out early like we did, and you might have the same outcome we have had, thank God, to this point where pink supports the ladies and anyone with cancer and get checked earlier, the better a break. And then back Gary Jeff and Forsloonia on seven hundred W l W. That's Dave Keaden.
Speaker 10: You know, one time you tell this story and now now you've got to listen to this as walk up music every time you're on the show. It's not even Friday, Gary Jeff. And for Scott Sloan accidentally and Austin Elmore coming in just to help me eat up some time because that's all I have is time, and and I don't know how much time I've got, but I know I know I've got some, so you're gonna help me fill that time. And it's together, Gary Jeff. Thanks. He said, what do you want to talk about? And Tony Pike suggested politics and now I've tried that with Austin before. That doesn't wash with all. I see Carl Rove on the TV. I know that guy. What about dead butt syndrome dead butt de syndrome, never heard of? It sounds like an injury.
Speaker 2: According to Fox nineteen, it's something to be combated batting dead butt syndrome. I mean, I don't have a butt at all. Okay, I haven't. I think we all have one, don't we. Well, I mean not that you can really notice, right, which is why I need a built and suspenders to not have plumbers crack. Yes, So anyway, what are you planning on today? What are you going to be talking? What's the hot topic today? Well, you know, I think it's interesting. Over the last week or so, people seem to be unhappy with the way the Bengals have looked, even though they've won football games. And I think that playing complimentary football, which is when your defense helps your offense, and your offense helps your defense, and your special teams helps both, is a prerequisite to winning championships. And for the last two weeks, the Bengals have played complimentary football. You know, my team is the Kansas City Chiefs have been before they won the first Super Bowl with Mahomes. Yeah, and I've watched them, and you know, outside of the fact that they win games, they're totally unimpressive.
Speaker 10: Yeah, to me, Maholmes has thrown Leeds League in interceptions right now, right He's thrown more interceptions than he's throwing touchdowns. And they're six and zero and a lot of people seem to want to blame Zach Taylor, and I get that he's the head coach. He's the first guy everybody wants to blame.
Speaker 2: I blame Zach Taylor for Week one, the game against the Patriots that never should have gone down that way, and that was a lack of preparation and being ready for the start of the season. And that has been kind of a pattern during Zach Taylor's time with the Bengals.
Speaker 1: I can get with that.
Speaker 10: I will also say Zach Taylor didn't miss fourteen tackles within five yards like the Bengals defense that day. And I'll also say that Joe Burrow played the worst game maybe of his career that.
Speaker 1: Day, and he's having one of his best seasons ever.
Speaker 10: Correct and like statistically since then, he's an MVP candidate. So I think you're just kind of trying to figure that part of it out, which is you don't have to win every game forty five to ten. I mean, the Chiefs and Bengals have had these battles over the last several years. The Chiefs didn't win the Super Bowl forty five to ten, they'd win the AFC Championship Game forty five to ten, Like, you have to be able to win close games, and the Bengals are in survival mode right now. That's what happens when you start one and four. And it's just been mind blowing to me that people seem upset with the way that they look after winning two games in a row. This is a tough stretch for them. The Giants have a good defense, the Browns have a good defense, the Eagles have a good defense. Eagles have the best offense out of the three and maybe the worst defense out of the three. But it's a tough stretch against teams that don't necessarily match up very well for the Bengals, and because of that, it's gonna to be ugly, and you just got to find ways to win.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Bengals. Two of the Bengals losses have been very close to very good teams Baltimore and Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if those those both those games could have gone either way. Yeah, And the Bengals played those tough teams fantastic, right, And.
Speaker 10: If not for a weird fumble by Joe Burrow that gets taken to the house by Kansas City, the Bengals might win that game and a rookie on a bad defense or on a defensive pass interference call that hurt them. That's again not playing complimentary football. Get to the Ravens game. They have a chance to win that. Evan McPherson is money. Typically in those situations, and the holder drops the ball, has a bad snap, bad hold, they miss it, they lose the game. Special teams not helping out the offense and the defense. So complimentary football, I say it all the time, prerequisite to winning championships. They've done that the last two weeks. If they continue doing that, I think they'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: Do they have the mental medal to overcome this subpar start? And do you think that as far as between the ears, are they that kind of team?
Speaker 1: Do you think? You know?
Speaker 10: I wanted about that this year because Joe Mixon's gone, and DJ Reider's gone, Chidabayo Woogie is gone, Tyler Boyd has gone. Those guys that have been staples and lockers locker room leaders for the last several years, and I wondered about that coming into this season. But the return of Von Bell, it seems that Mike Hilton has stepped up as a leader. Joe Burrow has openly talked about being more vocal as a leader. I feel like something's clicked over the last couple of weeks. Mike Hilton talked about the fact that they had a player's only meeting after the Baltimore game, and ever since then, the defense has been much more on the same page and the defensive line has been healthy, and that's been a big part of them playing better on the defensive side of the ball. So the answer your question, yeah, I think they do. I think it took a while for some guys to like, wait a minute, this, We're not just winning. How am I supposed to be a leader? How am I supposed to mentally help this team? And we're starting to see guys get more comfortable in those roles that were vacated by other guys. And I think they'll be okay.
Speaker 2: They're already playing and very soon the real regular season games will start for both Xavier and UC and college basketball.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like it's just too early?
Speaker 2: I just have that sense that, I mean, the World Series has going on, we're in the middle of football season, because you know that's what you talk about, what ninety percent of the time right now, nty five, right, And to me, it just.
Speaker 1: Seems just way too early.
Speaker 2: I remember when the college basketball season didn't start till almost the first week of December, and here we are in mid October and they're playing scrimmage games against real teams, not athletes in action, and you know, Backwoods Nazarene College and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: Well, the first month of the season is a bunch of out of conference stuff. There's a occasionally some good games and like these invitationals where two big teams will match up with one another. But for the first month, it's usually a bunch of preseason games out of conference, small schools. Yeah, and scrimmage yeah. Money, Yeah, Like that's I don't really put too much into that, but I guess I kind of like it. I've, for whatever reason, I have just been chomping at the bit for basketball.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, I watched four hours of NBA basketball last night.
Speaker 10: Okay, let's talk about I've been I've been chomping at the bit for basketball. I have no real explanation as to why. Uh So for me, I'm ready, I'm amazing.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just miss it. Maybe I did.
Speaker 2: Uh So you watched last night and uh a guy who was who followed you on Saturday mornings as a producer, Liam, Liam, of the many you have followed you on Saturday morning. We talked about that before. Yes, uh, he was. He was texting me last night. You watching the Celtics game right now, like I turn over and it's like a thirty five point blowout and he said, no, I mean, thanks, thanks for alerting me that it was on, but I really didn't care.
Speaker 1: It wasn't on my radar.
Speaker 2: And then he types back, I said, you know what, no magic, no Michael, no bird, I'm not interested. And then he texted me back, Lebron's worth the price with mission. So what was that like watching Lebron James and his son BRONI come out on the court last night together for the Lakers.
Speaker 10: That I have a love hate relationship with Lebron James because you know, he is an Ohio guy and has done a lot of good things and has been a model citizen with all the work he has done charitably. It felt like that moment was manufactured and more more about Lebron.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm gonna get you into politics.
Speaker 10: Le's ego being massaged at the fact that he's still playing now in twenty two seasons where his son really didn't earn his way on to the NBA team, and he should be down in the G League developing like he very well may have a career ahead of them ahead of him, but it shouldn't be right now. So that to me was kind of a bit of a publicity stunt, ego thing for Lebron.
Speaker 2: And you sound almost like disgusted and surprised by that.
Speaker 10: I'm disgusted by the fact that people think it's this big, genuine thing that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Oh, like Donald Trump's really gonna work at McDonald's. Of course it was a stage political event, but that was the left response.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was staged.
Speaker 10: Everything they're doing right now is staged pretty much. I agree, campaign event is staged in some way for both candidates. It's all staged.
Speaker 2: But so you didn't have a lot of love for for Lebron and Bronny on this on the court.
Speaker 10: I really do like Lebron, but I just that moment kind of gave me the ick because it was, yeah, I was like, Eh, he didn't really earn it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's look ahead to this Eagles game. And you referenced it earlier when we were talking about the Eagles having a good defense, but probably the lesser defense of the next three the Bengals will face, Yeah, and a better offense. How I mean, is it is it easy to say that they're gonna make Jalen Hurts beat them or what happened?
Speaker 10: I think that has to be the game plan. Is you forced Jalen Hurts to beat you with his arm, maybe even his legs to an extent, Because when it comes to Phillies offense, they've got three guys that can make great plays anywhere on the field. Saquon Barkley has been a big acquisition for them, and he is a top five running back in terms of rushing yards in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 10: They've got a j Brown and DeVante Smith on the outside, two wide receivers that can consistently win in man or zone coverage. So that's what makes Philly a threat. And so it starts with me and the way I always talk about any defense is stopping the run, and especially when it comes to a team in which you don't really feel as good about the quarterback and you would rather see him beat you with his arm because he's been clunky at times. You got to be able to take Saquon Barkley away, and when he does get the ball, you got to be able to tackle. Mention the fourteen miss tackles against New England in Week one, the Bengals have done a much better job the last three weeks tackling. They're gonna have to against Saquon Barkley. He is an absolute machine. He can take any time. Anytime he touches it, he can take it to the house.
Speaker 2: Well do you think that that massive amount of yardach he got against the Giants was kind of grudge stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, I think it's part of the game plan. He doesn't have any grudge against the Bengals. Yeah, no, he doesn't. He doesn't, that's true.
Speaker 10: And then on the other side of that, the Eagles defense, they've they've gotten a lot of sacks over the last couple of weeks and they bring all sorts different pressures at you. So that's going to be a challenge with the offensive line, especially Orlando Brown Junior, who did limited practice yesterday with that knee or calf injury that he suffered on Sunday. He's been really, really good this year. So if they're not able to go with him for a full game that could be an issue, But overall, Philly doesn't have the strength of the defensive line that the Giants in the Browns had, so it's going to be a little bit easier in that sense. And you still have t Higgins and Jamar Chase that can equally be as damaging as the two I just mentioned for Philadelphia. It comes down to who's going to be that third guy for the Bengals. Is Chase Brown going to be involved not only in the run game, but in the past game and out in space, and can andre Yosivash or Jermaine Burton, whoever gets that third wide receiver role, can they start creating separation because they aren't getting it right now? Andre Josivash yesterday or Sunday zero point four to three yards of separation. The NFL average is two point nine to seven. That's very, very, very bad. You have to be able to get set operation as that third option in the offense to help move the change, especially on third downs.
Speaker 2: Excellent and Chase are Higgins, I mean in five seconds they can change, you can.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, they have that kind of talent and you saw that on Sunday. You've seen it all year, and even the play against Carolina where Chase gets the ball in the middle of the field and there's six guys around him and next thing you know is grittying in the end zones unbelieving.
Speaker 1: It's very nice.
Speaker 10: When's the last time you did the gritty? Garret Jee, have you done the gritty? What is the gritty? Would you like to demonstrate it for me during the commercial break? I'll give you a gritty. I have no idea what you know what it is?
Speaker 1: You've seen it. I probably seen the cool kids are doing it.
Speaker 2: It's the dance well okay, keywords, all the cool kids are doing it. I am not cool and I am not a kid.
Speaker 10: It's actually it's actually probably outdated by now, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, there are new dance craze, yeah all the time. When you got your finger on the pulse, I mean your walk up music.
Speaker 10: Is yeah, that's outdated. That means sparks. What is that, miss NewBoy, miss new booty? Well, which I think you told me the story again last time I was here in this seat, I still can can just imagine you. It was a beautiful site, man, it really was.
Speaker 1: You're on the street and all the time, all of a sudden, a booty break.
Speaker 10: Yep, that's the best way to describe it is happening right in front of say it that way all over the place.
Speaker 2: All right, Austin, thanks for your time. I appreciate Austin elmore back in just a moment. We are a country of immigrants. There's no question my peoples came from let's see Sweden, England, Scotland, Ireland. There's a little bit of France thrown in there somewhere, and your genealogy may be the same. You may be, you know, straight down the line German or Irish descendancy, with a few little things thrown in in the melty part that is America. So we are a country of immigrants, and at the same time, what we've seen in the last three and a half years has nothing at all to do with the great waves of immigration in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in this country. As number one, we had a real choke golf point where people were coming in. For the most part, the majority of the people came through Ellis Island and had to wait there to make sure they had their vaccinations or to make sure they weren't sick, make sure they were people who would be able to assimilate into the already existing culture of the United States of America. That of course has not happened this time. And one of the reasons people are so just one of the many reasons, I mean, the violent crime and the criminals that have been let in. That's probably key issue overall. But the other part of that is there's no vetting these people for illness. And they've been putting these illegal immigrants on planes and flying them all across the Americas, all across America, without any kind of screening whatsoever. Just put them on a plane and drop them somewhere for whatever nefarious purposes. And you can have your own ideas about what they are so do I but the illness thing. Louisiana is suing Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Majorcas and various agencies after an illegal Chinese immigrant. By the way, there've been thousands of illegal Chinese immigrants come into our country unvetted, may have exposed hundreds in this date to a rare drug resistant form of tuberculosis. The Governor of Louisiana, Jeff Landry, and the state Attorney General there said yesterday the unnamed migrant was moved by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE through different facilities in the state, possibly exposing at least two hundred other detainees in staff. The Chinese national has a rare, aggressive and drug resistant form of tuberculosis, which carries high mortality rates.
Speaker 1: The lawsuit states.
Speaker 2: State officials have worked to prevent the spread of the disease, but ICE requests called to hold detainees until they've been medically cleared by the Louisiana Department of Health. They should have held this guy before he ever came into the country to make sure he wasn't you know. It's a disaster what Biden, Harris and majorcis have done with immigration in this country. And they got enough brass winds to blame Donald Trump for their mess. The mess that we're all in now because of them. News Time seven utter WLW do you want to.
Speaker 6: Be an American?
Speaker 2: Just for the top they were talking about Louisiana's governor and attorney general suing may Orca's Department of Homeland fail Department of Homeland Security, He said, ICE and several detention centers for allowing this illegal Chinese immigrant into the country with no vetting and exposing hundreds to a rare, incurable form of tuberculosis. And again to what I was saying that many Americans still don't understand what's been happening with these people that are being flown into the country. A lot of people didn't even start to learn about this until this last year during the presidential campaign. But the Chinese citizen crossed legally into California through the southern border in July, down around San Diego. That's where the bulk of the illegal Chinese, most of them young military age men by the way, not families. They were later flown with one hundred other detainees to Alexandria, Louisiana, and then bust to another facility with more detainees. In other words, fly them somewhere, disseminate them out into the country, and pretend like it didn't happen. The patient tested positive for TV and was transferred to two other facilities before returning to a detention center at Ridgewood, Louisiana. Despite having symptoms of TV, they were released into the general population in August at the South Louisiana Ice Processing Center of the one hundred and seventy four detainees exposed to the patient sixty have been deported, transferred, or relocated or released. Then, on the ninth of this month, the Louisiana Department of Health officials received positive results on their condition. So, in other words, this Chinese immigrant migrant had this drug resistant, incurable form of tuberculosis, wasn't checked at the border because nobody's being checked at the border, then was flown into the country, exposed other detainees who were at these centers detention centers to this, and the facility finally quarantined the dorm where the Chinese migrant was housed, conducted tests of the detainees in that dorm for drug resistant tuberculosis, all at negative results, So they dodged a bullet.
Speaker 1: But the point being.
Speaker 2: Is that there's no there's no check on who these people are. Meanwhile, citizens like you and I are being told that we have to get a real eye if we're going to fly anywhere in the country for our own for the country's own sake, for the country's own security. American citizens need to jump through about three hoops or have a passport to get on board a plane. When these folks aren't even required to perform any provide any kind of identification at all, and they're being flown all over the country. This has been going on regularly for the last three and a half years. This was all part of the plan. It's not that the immigration system is broken, it's the enforcement of our laws that's being broken by this current administration. Facts facts Man facts of the IRS as a new initiative. We've heard about the eighty seven thousand agents they were going to hire with the money from I don't know, the Inflation Reduction Act doesn't make any sense. But they're going after sole proprietorships and LLCs now. The news out this morning from the Epoch Times and if I can find the story here, yeah, it was along with Boeing losing six billion dollars. The IRS now is going to be going after new targets that they in the past haven't gone after. And if you've got an LLC, I've got a sole proprietorship. If you've got something where the business doesn't pay taxes but the owners file the taxes on their personal income tax. With these operations, the IRS is going to be putting you under the microscope to look out for, and it's just searching through them. The Boeing losses are not surprising. Any doors falling off your airplanes. Recently a massive six billion dollar loss in the third quarter, and that was after a labor vote failed to reach an agreement yesterday. Boeing's in big trouble and that is a big part of the American economy when it comes to travel and air travel and space travel. Take it off. A while back on my nightcap shows, I started doing profiles of people in this business, people who were on the radio, and had some pretty famous folks stop in for their close up, including Pat Saint John, who was a guy who's on Serious XM, but he's in the Radio Hall of Fame, and another buddy of his, shotgun Tom Kelly, a long time like fifty year radio vet. I've had Jim Lebarbara. Of course you got to have the music professor. But I also featured Scott Sloan, and this is Scott's Loane's show. So in a few minutes we will harken back to that conversation and we'll get it all together for you. Cool day, nice and it's gonna warm back up tomorrow with some rain. They say a possibility of rain, but how dry is it? I mean, And it's different parts of the city. You'll see it differently. My wife was out driving for Uber Eats on Tuesday and said she was on the West side in del High all day long and she said it was the leaves were absolutely breathtaking. Now, other parts of the tri State that haven't gotten as much rain, you're not going to see the full range of fall colors that you usually see, and they're coming out now finally. But where we weren't in almost extreme drought conditions, you're seeing the colors start to change and it's a pretty nice treat overall. But there's no real rain in the significant rain in the forecast for the next week and a half. An isolated shower possible tomorrow as we wore them back up, but that may only net us about a tenth of an inch if you're lucky need some showers, and we're way behind on the October number. So the meteorologists say, like they know anything certified anyway. We will continue in just a moment with my American History on the radio conversation with Scott Sloane that occurred a few months back and.
Speaker 1: Turn you on to that. And in the interim, let's.
Speaker 2: Take a quick break Gary Jeff in for Sloaney on seven hundred WLW, part of the American History on the Radio seconds we were doing here on the night chap for a while going back to last year, and I thought Sloaney would be great.
Speaker 1: Just because you couldn't sign anyone else.
Speaker 2: Okay, there was that, and then there was also the fact that you are a very I think you're a very complex radio personality in many ways. And I don't mean that from a derogatory standpoint at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's just I know. That's the thing. I asked Sloan one time.
Speaker 2: Why never does impressions of Gary Jeff Walky said, because you would think it was funny. You do the impressions just to irritate the people, Yes, because they get get more out of it that way. More on me, Gray, I would do it more. So let's go to Scott's Loan's History on the Radio, which goes back to Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 1: Is that where you're from, Well, I grew up there. We actually moved to it'd be the Youngstown Warren area when I was in high school. I was a senior in high school, and yeah, I had no idea what I was gonna do. I had a speech teachers I recalled in we had like a little mini class in radio, and I thought, that's kind of an interesting thing, kind of back of my head. And then as I sat in high school, I wanted to be a draft one. I wanted to be an architect like Mike Brady because I had the curly, hairy yeah. And then I realized at some point to be gay and married to Florence Hams, Yes exactly, with my long tube cardboard tube in my hand, and realize at one point I went, well, let's see, you can't really add subtract multiplying the other one. So you're gonna be able to do these math classes in college? Are your son? And no one's going to be to buy a bridge with me. That's a couple feet short, let's put it that way. So at some point I said, yeah, math is definitely not my thing. What where can I go with with low self esteem, bad people, skills, horrible uh horrible uh self worth and maybe make a little bit of money but not have to do any math and the radio is a perfect career for you. It sounds a lot like my pai really was, really was now really had low self esteem. Yeah, I think everybody everybody in this business does. Yeah, yea, So everyone and entertainment hates themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, there's a little bit of that as I was a kid that was made fun of and junior high and high school and stuff.
Speaker 1: I have a childhood though, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and which was always gratifying to go back for, like my tenth high school reunion when I was a big celebrity in town and you know, sure people knew me and right, and I didn't lord it over them too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you spend a lot of time by yourself, you know, you don't really like yourself growing and no even that's this eight. No one likes themselves kidding yourself.
Speaker 2: So was there anybody when you were a kid that you listened to on the radio and said, you know what, that's cool.
Speaker 1: That guy hasn't hasn't acted. I'd like to emulate. I remember my mom and dad listening to It would have been wg R and Buffalo okay fifty five and they that was when you had the big you know, the old real hardcore DJs and stuff like that, and they My dad always was a huge fan of that station, so I listened to that little bit influenced there. But it wasn't until I was in college at Bowling Green Bowling Green State University and started getting into radio because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I guess I was gonna, okay, first of my family go to college. But that was the eighties. You know, you can get it. You have a pulse and a number two pencil. Yeah, you're good, go ahead, get it. It's like a lot more serious now, right, So but you got to lose. So you show up and I'm like, I don't know what I want to do. Maybe I want to look at though the syllabus going camera operator. That sounds like a pretty pretty good career for me. Stand and run a TV camera. How hard could that be? I don't have to do any math, just stand there. And I was like, I'm watching antying paid to watch a little TV of people on a bigger TV. It's really it's not that hard. And I met a buddy of mine there at Bowling Green and he introduced me to he was doing a campus show in the summer. Because I was too dumb to get into like fall. I had to start in the summer to prove that I wasn't as dumb as my transcript set I was. And so we're doing college, right, and I'm like, well, this is pretty cool because they don't see you, and like I can just be creative and do stuff. And then I kind of fell in love with it, and yeah, next thing I know, I was like I was all in and spend so much time of the colleges. She almost got kicked out of school a few times. Her grades, no kid, Yeah, yeah, terrible.
Speaker 2: I hated what I called thirteenth grade, which was Volunteer State Community College in Gallaton, Tennessee at WVCP eighty eight point three on the dial. And got a job at a local radio station about a mile away. And that was the end of my college career. I made it two semesters. I know a few people.
Speaker 1: I knew one girl still in radio in Toledo actually and doing quite well. But she she had I think like one class she did was Toledo your first professional job or yeah? Yeah, So went to Bowling Green did college radio there with people at Lisa Brown at the Reds. She was a classmate. A couple other people Scott Stanley who des are creative. I mentioned guy Genius. We I was actually his He's two years ahead of me, so I was his assistant director of production. Couldn't learn anybody. We had a great time. We just know we would just goof on, you know, stuff and have fun. We had a blast. So it's kind of byronic we all ended up at this this huge station, right, So yeah, that was that was really cool. Yeah, and then you know, went to school and uh so how'd you get how'd you get the pro job? Well, so it was like kind of like Cincinnati Dayton. I don't know if it's still that way because Dayton it's no market, but like, for example, you know, people who would work and go to school in dayt ud had come to Cincinnati and you know, work on the weekends. And so Bulling Green is about thirty minutes south at Toledo, fort minute the south and you drive up there. So a roommate who was doing at one of the hit he music stations there, he got me on the weekends and then by my junior year, I got hired full time at the number one station to do the overnight show, which is midnight to six and so I don't know how I did it my last two years, but I would do midnight to six am and then leave and drive to Bowling Green forty minutes away and do the college morning show with my part and morning show partner, and then I go to class, and then I sleep for fifteen minutes and do it all over again. And then I worked a part almost a full time, part time job of the weekend. I don't think I slept for two years. But I was having fun. Not make any money, but you're having a good time. And I took less classes and spread it out at an extra semester because of that, but it was good. I just that's all I wanted to do all the time.
Speaker 2: Talking to scotts Loan on the Nightcap American History on the radio, and I'll tell you what. This seems like a good time to just take a quick break and come back in a moment. When we do, we'll talk about a little bit about the Toledo years. There was a slight bit of controversy.
Speaker 1: That you did your homework.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all we need is yeah, a balcony.
Speaker 8: Right right, which you know's surprise you hear, is the I will I will tell you about one of my first moments of infamy when I got to Cincinnati and it involved a K Steel and uh then general manager Jackie Brumm and her reaction when we come back Scott Sloan with us seven hundred w l W okay.
Speaker 2: Back into it, part two of the Scott Sloan Grilling on seven hundred w l in.
Speaker 1: Like sixty minutes all we need. That's right, Like I'm more attractive, LOVELI if you if you start crying, I'm going to bring in Sarah Lease. So anyway, here, here we go. I love the snort. So Toledo, yes.
Speaker 4: City.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, I know exactly what the comment was. I did get involved a visit by a certain civil rights leader in town, and uh we we don't have to go into it again.
Speaker 1: It's been a long time ago. Because it's been that long, I don't think it ever is. I mean, honestly, I think so. This was back in the day when Listener told me about this. Yeah, we're supposed to be and it's much different today. Just this over top outrageousness, right because like it's everyone's the shock jockey thing, you know, starting with this peak in a little bit and it's like, and especially the company at that time was really pushing for that, and I just started. And but also I think, you know, when you're not to make excuses for saying stupid stuff, which to this day is still embarrassing and it's it's hurtful and horrible. If you're in the radio law, you're going to it. But I don't think you can anymore. I think if you do stuff that get you in trouble, it used to be like, okay, did you learn from this? But yeah, that was really good radio. And now there's no room for that anymore. And you know, especially in the Twitter sphere, you know, somebody tweeted stuff out when they're, you know, fifteen years old and they're now thirty seven. I don't understand how you go back. I think some of these allegations it's very sexual assault for example, very serious. But I don't know how you go back to nineteen ninety three and from twenty twenty three and go, you did this back in nineteen ninety three, and now I'm going to hold you accountable.
Speaker 2: I think that's totally insane that people were canceled for things that happened thirty forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and it's disturbing. I think, you know, it's like, well did you grow from that experience? In granted there you're being victimized. I want to help you heal, but in a case of what you say on the radio, I think at some point you're like, okay, I clearly you're a different person. At least you should always grow, I think, and be a different person than we're. But yeah, in regardless, that was literally I think the low point of probably my career but also my life. I think too, because I like, well, you know, what do you want to do with you? What do you want to be? And trying to figure that out publicly is much different than most people go through, I think when you're not on the public airwaves.
Speaker 2: So it's nineteen ninety four. I had been here on the air for maybe four or five months. Yeah, at then ninety two point five, which wasn't even the Fox that it was the point.
Speaker 1: The point? What's the point? And they never could answer that question? So it became a Fox.
Speaker 2: So so I'm on the air doing afternoons on the point. How music was that caryg Ja that was rock and Roll's greatest hits? Oh okay, I got you well, they started by playing nine and fifty songs in a row without commercials.
Speaker 1: Put you over the top. Absolutely. It was the exact opposite of the stations that flipped to Christmas in July that just admit, listen our music, saw music blows, We're just gonna go Christmas music.
Speaker 2: I hadn't been here that long in town, and there had been a third accidental death at ak Steel within about a five to six month span, Okay, And I'm just sitting here observing this. And at the same time, doctor Kavorkian had been on trial for assisted suicide, and there'd been a ruling from the Ohio State Supreme Court that assistant suicide was in fact a crime in the state of Ohio. Yeah, and I said, for some reason that still escapes me, other than I just thought it was clever. I was wrong that maybe, since the Ohio State Supreme Court has spoken about assisted suicide in Ohio, doctor Kavorkian should take his clients to AK Steel and have them fill out job applications.
Speaker 1: Similar to my I am.
Speaker 2: They were getting flooded with all these angry calls, mostly from AK Steel and Jackie Brum, who was a general manager. I don't know if you remember her. She was gone by the time you got here. She calls me in to the we were in Mount Adams. She calls me into this common area and we're sitting in these schoolroom chairs in the middle of the room without a table between us and I boss Tony, my program director, Tony Tolliver's there, and Jackie's there, and she said, Gary, Jeff, exactly tell me what you said.
Speaker 1: Okay. I told her what I said, and she put her head down, shaking it, but I could tell she was hiding her laughter. Oh boy, yeah, And she just looked up with a big smile on her face, a Gary Jeff, you can't say that. You need to apologize, And I did. And that was the end of it, though, And that was the end of it. Mine was kind of dragged out because we didn't have any leadership up there and like the gentleman didn't care. He was on vacation, and this all went down and like it just turned in this. You know, you get protesters showing up and like I'll go away, and it never goes away. You know, you got to deal with that stuff firsthand, and was suspended for a couple of months. You know, joking about the death of a prominent civil rights leader as a white guy. You couldn't shouldn't do that. You sh knew they are a black guy. But you know what I'm saying is back it was. It was just a horrible, horrible I think a good learning expert. It's all around, but definitely changes you.
Speaker 2: One you wouldn't be able to recover from today. No, no, not at all, No, no one. No, there's no there's no remember I yeah, yeah, but the thing Rutgers Women's basket.
Speaker 1: Think he said, yeah, it just doesn't it's just not he did. But still it's like it's just yeah, you know, there want to be that. I mean, there's guys in there, there's there's the Alex Jones things. I don't know if you do that, how you live with yourself? I gotta be a you know, I really admitted I don't like you don't like yourself. But does that make yourself more likable to anyone, especially yourself? Is it? Do you need to really attack people who have lost their babies? It's just no, it's horrible. You should just gotta be There's gonna be some boundaries there if you're if you're a thinking, breathing human Being's terrible. It's terrible, but nonetheless I survived probably the last one.
Speaker 2: Our old Boston buddy, the guy that I loved, and it is nothing. It says nothing about the current management here. It just says everything about this guy. And you knew him so well and I think respected him as much as I did. Darryl Parks he brings you down to Cincinnati, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the guy who heard that and said, well, when they fire you there, and at this time, I would love to. And that's why I loved Darryl's because no one in Toledo was talking to me. Oh you were like co workers bar right, like I'm gonna get no communication here, and you know, you start, oh my god, and Darrel's like, hey, when you get fired. The funny story about this Gary Jef. We have time, Yeah, we have time, Okay, plenty of time. That was not my first attempt at getting hired at seven hundred WLW back in decades ago. The first came when then Tony Bender, who's still with us, was working as our assistant. So after all this went down, they brought him up to kind of take control of the thing, saying you guys, there's no control up here. There's no So he came up there and we got to be you know, coworkers and friends and said, hey, I got to get you down in Cincinnati, maybe do some fillings on fifty five k R seedback when it was live and local back then too. Anybody came down and filled in, and then they invited me back to like, well, why do you come down and fill in on LW during And this was a time when I think McConnell was doing like a ten hour show from what was it like nine am to three? It was ridiculous when he was working. And so he came and did it on our audition for a couple of days. Very forgettable, I'm sure. So I came down and did that whole thing. Well, I get a call. At the time, Bill Cunningham was the big boss. He was the director of programming operation, which if Emil Willie you go, that's just a bad idea to show you how stupid radio people are. Management and the whole operation is just it's you stupid. We are the bottom. We're the carp of any industry you look at. Well, at least I'm not in radio because we're stupid, So go, well, we got a fifty number one rate as big radio stition. Who are gonna put in church Bill cutting it? I wouldn't putting Bill Cunny in the in charge of a glass of water in the middle of the Ohio River. Oh you're being You're being uncover I'm being kind of so anyway, Well will he probably agree with you? So willy? He calls me the audition. My audition goes, I do, Come on, I got off the aerro. Come in the office. Come and have a seat in the square circle. Scouts long, come in the office. All right, I don't know this guy, right, I kind of knew Gary Burbank because I took over the show when after syndication de Land and I actually took over for Gary up there, and so I'll sit down on here. Well, what do you see happening in your life? If anything in the next three years career wise, I'm like, well, I'd like, hold on a second, there's seg Man, seg Man, hold on a segment's here seg Man seg Man Ken. So he goes runs down the home like that's kind of weird. He comes back and he goes, oh, not where were we Uh, let's talk about you and and maybe you're a bright future at seven hundred w ol W in the Nation station. Go ahead, tell me more about yourself. Well, hold on a second, there's food. Food is here for hold on, you need some FRENI you need chicken? What am I round's roost? What about a beef stick? And he goes takes off again, and I start looking around this office. I'm like, there's gotta be a camera in here.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 1: This is no one run, there's no way this huge successful.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at her, this before Catfish and all the jackass. I'm like, I'm getting pumped here. So I'm sitting there. I'm sitting there and final I'm just I just leave. Drive back to the Lado. A few days later, I get a phone call Scott Sloan, the great American Bill Cunningham here, Yeah, way, we like to offer you a job down here in Cincinnati. Yeah, I'm gonna pass. Is that what you killed him?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh eh, but it's W. I was like, yeah, but and I'm thinking to myself, I didn't said I think, yeah, it's WW. But you're in charge. No good's gonna come to me. Coming down there and get fired again. I don't need that. I got a baby, Like yeah, my wife's Michelle at the time, is a TV news director, and she renewed her contract, like I think we're gonna stay with You could tell I was so totally offended about this whole thing. Then it was later as Dell Parks is like, all right, why do you do some weekend filling? Staid, why don't you come to Okay? Well, why don't We're gonna hire you? And that was the long story short that Willie tried to hire me and I turned I turned away. Well, you initially were doing this shift, the nine to midnight shift, right, yes, And it's kind of weird to be back. Actually, it's far more fast the night. You got more room to goof around and do stuff than you do. I've you got room, you got time to talk to me. I know it was bad, Geary, Jeff, I know, is this bad? So at the time, for two years I did a show from Toledo, my three to six show at WSPD and Toledo, and then did nine to midnight at l W and so I had like three hours off between shows. And that was before you know, the technology we have now too, and it was all digital. I mean you couldn't tell, but yeah, you'd have to go in the studio. There's no doing it from home like we did during COVID in that. So, yeah, it was two years. There was a lot of work doing two shows, but trying to keep him separate.
Speaker 2: The impression thing. You do these great video caricatures of people. Yeah, have you always done then?
Speaker 1: I always have? Yeah, I always had, Like, certainly not the best person, but you listen to Jamie Fox or someoney, go my god, that guy's so good, Jimmy Fallon, whoever, No you've got Yeah, it's it's but it's also Lampoon. I said, you know, I heard people do voices and like, okay, someone doing you know, Richard Nixon's voiced it. I'm like, yeah, once that person's out of the limelight, it feels like because I used to do really good Andy Furman, and then when Furman got canned, I'm like, I'm not doing that voice and is on this show once a week now he's on on Tuesday Night. I know, I know I'm here. I should do I should have been the voice back. I should talk like this gab walks my own So.
Speaker 2: Have you what, lads?
Speaker 1: Look at the writings. I need to be on. I need to be on.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are people who don't appreciate your talent at.
Speaker 1: This screwl in this building. I'm sure they don't. That's why I do the voice more. Andy Furrman was the best. I mean, I love working with and was ferm. It was his level of paranoia that would get him going. Was so and you could get stirred up. You could tell him I'm just playing with you. He would still the paradoid level is huge.
Speaker 2: I got a funny Furman story about paranoiaka and Andy and his insecurity. I was here on a weekend filling in for somebody or doing something and I was waiting in a room to do an interview and Andy came in because he was just cooling his heels before he did a fill in on one of the sports. It was thirteen sixty or something, sure, and I said, Andy, what's going on. I'm nervous. I'm very nervous. I'm nervous. I said, why are you nervous? So I've got to do this national show in a minute, and I don't know if I got all the right and he's doing all that, you know, the the covetching that he does so well. And I said, Andy, you have absolutely no reason to be nervous about being on the radio. You've been on the radio for what a twenty year decades? Yeah, decades? What's but before he goes on, that was his modus operande. He had to always by being nervous, just nervous about about everything. And and once the thing is like, we're like shark infested waters here at a w We eat our own when it's slow. And so if if you show weakness, we'll explode. We'll we'll we'll just pick up that scab non stop. And remember Andy one time said something on the rate of he don't get in trouble with that. Old Derel was a listener, I don't know, and back in the day at the end of the old phones where he'd pushed the button and the line would light up.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm talking about the bottom. So he gets on the air and uh, I the hotline is the magic number of people call the secret secret number here. So I would hit the button like on and off, like it was flashing, like it was ringing, and I picked up one time, and who called the hotline. It was Darrely wants to talk to you when your show's over. Oh my god, don't get the fight. I get fired. That's it right there. And then you know, was he gonna call back? I'm like, yeah, he was calling for you somewhere but he heard and he wanted to you'll call back. Man sitting and there waiting for my show, and I'm and then he starts talking again after commercial break, after news comes back, and I start hitting that line again, and all I do and watching him and I'm watching he's trying to talk and I'm watching his eyes keep looking at the phone. It's to light up. And the minute he stopped talking, I'd stopped doing it. Who is that? It was Derely Age? Why keep calling me? Mind up? In fact, he was so worked up that I had to tell Andy, I'm just effing with you. But in his mind he didn't even hear that. No, so he actually called him. He's like, I was like, what what are you talking about? I had told him that I was bunking him, and he's still he's that paranoid.
Speaker 2: Two words seg Dennison, or are you still doing your uh? Your handyman stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just uh, we owned a bunch of rentals and properties are doing most of that, my son and I. Now he's in the business. He's a real estate ambassador too, so he's got his license. He's work gratified. Yeah it is, you know, and just see him coming into his own He loves doing it too, so yeah, that keeps him busy. I that's a job you have to love to do. Yeah. Yeah, it's getting older though, it's get more taxing and passing more off to him when it gets the My water heater doesn't work. My thermostad's broken at four in the morning on Thanksgiving Day. Yeah that's him, not me anymore.
Speaker 2: And they all was breaking the coldest day of the year. The furnace will break down. It is the hottest day of the summer. The as I.
Speaker 1: Say, I did I did you turn it on? Waite? What drove over here to flip this? This has been even more fun than I thought. Thanks by thanks for having us. It's really cool being back here at night. And I'm having flashbacks already, so all right, thank you. By the way, I'm not interviewing Mark Amazon. Yeah, it was left Rocky. It talked out. I interview did the Rocky Okay, that's good. That's chucked that box too. What's the what's the backup traffic guy doing? Is he the wasn't he able to come in tonight? I don't think Jason Aaron talked everyone. Yes, well, I guess I gotta do Salon.
Speaker 2: I do have to interview Chuck Ingram sometimes usually D's got great. He was my first producer on Saturday Morning when I started in nineteen ninety SI.
Speaker 1: Chuck was the first guy I met at this radio station, and he couldn't be nice. He's the nicest. Pa Oh, he is, absolutely Him and Jim Scott two of the nicest people ever met.
Speaker 2: Agree legit. I got an F you from Jim Scott once could. It's my crowning achievement. Thanks Scott Sloan.
Speaker 1: American history on the radio being made right now on the radio. Thanks for being a part of it. Seven hundred WLW