Speaker 1: Welcome to apply to save America. I'm Jon Favrea.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 1: Dan, what do you think of our new studio?
Speaker 2: I can only see you and four feet to your right and left. Oh there I go.
Speaker 1: You had you didn't watch all of Tuesday's pod on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I know I listened to it like like it's like the gen xer, I am. What's what's to your left? Is that a statue liberty?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a statue of liberty?
Speaker 2: Or right, it's you're right, I guess.
Speaker 1: And then there's an eagle over there because we are we are taking patriotism back where liberals who love.
Speaker 2: America one yellow mural at a time.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, anyway, you've got to get down here so you can test out the new studio yourself. You and I have a bunch of news to talk about today. Donald Trump's approval ratings are at record lows, and he is losing his grip on the economy, the war, just about everything else Americans care about. And yet here we are still Democrats get more good news in the key Senate races in North Carolina, in Georgia, and maybe even some deep red states where independent candidates are carrying the anti MAGA banner. We're also in the home stretch of the heated primaries in Michigan and Wisconsin. We're going to talk all about that. That's fun. We're also going to talk about the latest with artificial intelligence. As Sam Altman tells us that we are, in fact in the singularity. Elon Musk is saying that we're all going to die anyway, and nobody on Capitol Hill seems to know what to do about it. So that's cool. But first a reminder, if we do make it to November, and we do make it to these midterm elections and AI hasn't killed us all yet, we have Cricket Con November fifth through the seventh in Washington, d C. And tickets are going pretty fast, pretty fast, So you are going to want to get a ticket to kirket Con if you haven't already gotten yours yet. We're going to be announcing all kinds of fun things in the lead up to Cricket Con, Guests, creators, everyone else who's coming, and so you can check out all the details, grab your tickets at crikeedcn dot com. Friends at the Pod subscribers get a special discounted rate, and if you're not a subscriber yet, that's just another benefit for signing up today. Once again, that's crookedcn dot com and we will see you all in DC from November fifth through the seventh. All right, let's get to the news. With ninety five days until the final midterm elections of the Trump era, the president has made himself historically unpopular and is dragging his party down with him. He has lost control of the Iran war, which is now in its fifth month with no end in sight. He has lost control of the economy, which is now suffering from sluggish growth and high inflation because of Trump's war and Trump's tariffs. He has lost control of his own part in Congress, where two Republican senators whose careers he ended are still refusing to confirm his acting Attorney General, Todd blanche whose nomination Trump says he may temporarily withdraw. The president has also lost the American people his approval rating in three high quality polls that came out this week thirty two, thirty three percent, and thirty four percent, near record lows for Trump in either term, which I can't really understand because the guy has really been on top of his game lately. Here he is on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Whether you're a Republican or Democrat, you don't want to go and be subjected to this airport between the trams and the Star Wars thing that they go up to Star Wars and elevated buses and nobody knows what's going on. It's it's a real mess. Anytime you see windmills, you see a failing country, and they made in China, not used by China, but they're made in China. I think the arc is going to be incredible. I think the protected ballroom and military center that we're building at the White House is going to be Unbelievable's very important general. Grass is like human beings. Grass is a life also, and we're changing, we're raking, cleaning and changing all of the parks.
Speaker 1: Grass has a life also. Dan who was talking about Dallas there there he's renovating Dolls Airport and for any of you who've been to Dallas, might be the one renovation, the one Trump renovation I'm supporting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that Dallas is Non America's best airport. So we're not putting our best foot forward. There A weird elevated buses. Thing is are terrible. He has correct about that, but it is you can renovate Dollas Airport without doing a full prece event on it, which he is doing at a time of war. Countries maybe suddenly asked backward into stagflation, and he takes time out of his busy day to detail the blueprints of a twenty two billion dollar airport renovation.
Speaker 1: He had, Yeah, he had a large map, he had a laser pointer. He was Meanwhile, meanwhile, Iran struck a US base in Jordan. And then Trump told Fox News, We're going to fucking beat the shit out of them, but also we're going to have room to keep talking the war. The war has widened now to Saudi Arabia is involved, Saudi Arabia in the US are jointly launching strikes at militias in Iraq. I mean, it's completely fucking out of control. And then the headline on Thursday we woke up this morning was GDP last quarter was only one point five percent, well under expectations, and inflation is still a full point over the Fed's target rate, which is why the Fed did not give Donald Trump the rate cut he's been hoping for when they met this week. So the economy is just humming along Dan.
Speaker 2: And thinking of raesing rates again to curb inflation. Look, you want ideally you want low inflation, high growth. Sometimes you have high inflation high growth. The economy is running too hot. Here we have high inflation, low growth. That's the worst case scenario.
Speaker 1: That is the worst case inn and that might have something to do with those approval ratings down in the low thirties. All right, let's start with Todd Blanche. So John Cornyn and Tom Tillis asked Blanche for a written, permanent commitment that the DOJ would kill two provisions in Trump's Irs settlement. Remember that the one point eight billion dollar insurrectionist slush fund and effective immunity for Trump, his family, and his businesses for any tax crimes that they may have committed. Those are the two deals that Trump gave himself for suing his own government that he leads. And basically Blanche was like, yeah, sure, we'll do that, and they're like, all right, put it in writing, and he's like, nah, they put some language in writing that didn't didn't really satisfy either John cornn or Tom Tillis and so Blanche still isn't confirmed. They pulled down the vote, and apparently he met with corn in Tillis on Thursday day in an attempt to reach some kind of a deal, and apparently progress was made, but still nothing yet. What do you think about all this? How much does this matter? And and what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 2: In terms of the confirmation of Blanche, It truly couldn't matter less because Trump does not need to get Blanched confirmed. Blanche just wants to be confirmed so he can be an actual Attorney general, I think in his picture on his portrait on the wall the Department of Justice, because Blanche can stay Most secretaries can only stay in acting capacity for two hundred and ten days. But there's an entirely separate law that relates to the Department of Justice, WHI says the Deputtorney General can fill in for the Attorney General for an indefinite period of time as long as the attorney general is vacant. Tar general is definitely vacant. So Trump can pull this nomination and Blanche can just serve an acting capacity till the end of his term, and that would not matter. It is you know all the time like Trump is so you know, he exerts ironclad discipline on his party. He punishes people who you know, who disobey him, you know, demands complete loyalty. Why don't Democrats do that? This is why Democrats don't do that, because if you primary an incumbent senator of your own party, you have like six to eight months of that person pissing in your punch bowl for the rest of time until they leave. And Trump is paying the price for that.
Speaker 1: Now, what I don't get is like, why if Todd Blanche can stay in this role indefinitely, why do Tillis and Cornyn think that they have leverage to get this this settlement changed? And because like I'm surprised that like that Blanche even met with them, are and are thinking of giving them the language they want, Because if I were, then I'd just be like, fuck you people, I'm going to stay as acting Attorney General.
Speaker 2: It's hard to reverse engineer strategy from this, But I really think it's because Blanche wants to be confirmed. He wants to be the actual attorney on the United.
Speaker 1: States just like a personal just personal best like such something if.
Speaker 2: You don't really count as an acting like when they go through the attorney generals, he will he will not count He just a guy fill in a seat is one to This is now become a loyalty test and a power play for Trump. There's a power battle here by whether we can get it done or not. I think there was movement when Trump said he was gonna withdraw the nomination. That's when Tillis and Cornyon may seem to have moved a little more. They might be lowering their ask because they have less leverage in that situation. So as long as he wants their vote, they're going to try to get something in exchange for that vote.
Speaker 1: Trump allies were floating as a possible replacement for Blanche if he didn't get confirmed. Bill Poulty, did you hear about this?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean that is That's the other piece of leverage here, is that Trump could just put some other goon in who does not require confirmation and just let that person serve for you know, however long.
Speaker 1: Bill Poulty, not a lawyer, by the way, so that would be an atorney job.
Speaker 2: Not a spy, yes, yeah, that's great, Not a housing expert, nothing.
Speaker 1: Just to just to do us Blanche's nomination wasn't the only setback for Trump's DOJ this week. There is himpt to prosecute Jim Comey over the eighty six forty seven seashell photo he posted, what a sentence? What a sentence is turning out to be every bit as crazy as it seems. And then some Komy's team filed motions to dismiss the case for vindictive prosecution, which included the revelation that in order to prove that Comy knew that eighty six had an alternative meeting that was violent, the FBI interviewed notorious mobster Simmy the Bull Gravano, who told them the reason there's no evidence is that mobsters wouldn't leave any.
Speaker 2: Not many mobsters post Instagram photos about pending crimes.
Speaker 1: With pictures of seashells.
Speaker 2: Seashells.
Speaker 1: Yes, it feels like this case might not succeed. Anything else jump out at you from the court dos that the Komi team filed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, the court docs are fascinating. There is an allegation from Comy's team that the Secret Service, at the request of the number three official in the Justice Department, engage in warrantless surveillance of the Komi's including of that whole day after posting the photo, including them visiting their son's grave.
Speaker 1: I believe and practice phone location.
Speaker 2: That's a practice phone location. Yeah, and kept May had made frequent phone calls to Air Force one to keep the president a prize what was happening so he could respond appropriately to the c show Instagram photo at his next presteville.
Speaker 1: Apparently the FBI they also did some research into the whole eighty six term. They asked chat GPT at the US Attorney's direction. They ran Google AI and chat GPT queries about the term eighty six, and the AI told them the theory was wrong well, including that Miriam Webster doesn't enter a violent meeting.
Speaker 2: Also, it was also a report in the Komee documents that on the same day, within hours of the photo being post SAD, the Secret Service changed their guidance to have eighty six forty seven count as a threat against the president.
Speaker 1: Yes. It also eighty six has appeared zero times in the FBI's database of communicated threats since two thousand and seven, and before Comey posted, Amazon vendors had listed over two hundred thousand products with eighty six forty seven, eighty six forty six, or eighty six forty five generating zero federal inquiries. Yeah, I don't think this one's going to fly. I remember like Todd blanche too, was like, we wouldn't just do it based on the seashell photo. We wouldn't be bringing a case based on that. There's other stuff in there. Okay, we'll see. It is a pretty high bar to dismiss a case for vindictive prosecution, So you know, we'll see. But I don't know if the government has the strongest case on this one. Trump's deeply corrupt DOJ also acknowledged in court this week that the federal government terminated seven point six billion dollars in grants for hundreds of clean energy projects based solely on the political idea of the grant recipient's state, sixteen states, all of which voted for Kamala Harris. Politico then reported that Trump personally overruled his own agencies to deny disaster aid to four Democratic led states just this month. Apparently, the president has rejected aid for democratic run states at the highest rate in FEMA's forty seven year history. Why isn't this a bigger story.
Speaker 2: Why isn't this a bigger story? Could be the title of a compendium of the history of the Trump era.
Speaker 4: This is one of though.
Speaker 1: I saw both of these this week and I was like, fucking disaster relief for like, just I don't care. You had a hurricane hit, you had a tornado, you had a fire. People are in need. And because Donald Trump has a beef with the Democratic politician that's running the state no federal money.
Speaker 2: This is one of the ways in which we've just all of politics, media, society has been ground down by Trump's incredible cynicism. Because if this was twenty seventeen, there would have been I'm not saying it would have changed the election right or done it, but there would have been a massive uproar about this because this would have been a norm that you do not make disastery political That trump is overturned. Nine years later, we've been We've seen something some version of this a whole bunch of times with Trump where he's threatened this, they've denied grants, They've done other things too. They've used the government to punish Trump's political opponents in so many ways. We were just talking about the government punishing a Jim Comey for the Seashell Instagram and so we just like this has become at least from Trump, not news and not it doesn't shock the conscious anymore. And this is kind of this is like the long term damage that Trump has done to how we think about politics and what's appropriate and what isn't can be seen in the fact that this people barely by deny it's something.
Speaker 1: This is terrible impeachable offense. I think certainly the designs, for sure, for certain certain the disaster aid. I can also imagine like the American people should know this, and I do think you can imagine a moment in the twenty twenty eight campaign when, like you know, a Democratic candidate is talking about jd Vance or Marc or Rubio and said, when they were in government the last four years, if you were in a state that didn't vote for them, you would get denied money. If a hurricane hit, they wouldn't they wouldn't come help you out, or for a tornado hit, and you need money from the federal government, money that you paid into the federal government because you pay your taxes. They just wouldn't give it to you, just because of how you voted. Like that is, it's like a way to both kick the shit out of them and sound bipartisan, because now now sounding bipartisan is like making sure that we don't starve states of resources just because they happen not to vote for the person in charge. But I guess that's where we are. I mean it is.
Speaker 2: Do you think about in the Obama era, like we dealt with a raft of tornadoes which usually hit because of where tornadoes, you know, we're talking about Arkansas, Oklahoma, places like Missouri, places like that were abomba states that vote it overwhelming particularly parts of the state, rural parts of the state that voted overwhelmingly against Obama. Him going there, meeting with local officials, working with officials who.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of when we went to I think you might have been on that trip when we went to Joplin, and he spoke at there, and he spoke at the commencement to night after the rural area of Missouri that had been hit by a horrific tornado.
Speaker 2: And now that now that's that seemed that was quite normal at the time, now would seem like an extraordinary example of bipartisanship.
Speaker 4: Patze of America is brought to you by z Biotics. Uh, let's face it, let me get.
Speaker 1: A little older.
Speaker 4: If you go out and have a night with a couple of drinks, you do not bounce back like you used to. It for me personally, what it's going to be like when I'm tommy day. I had to make a choice. I can either have a great night or a great next morning. Until I found pre alcohol from ze Biotics. Here's what it is, ze Biotics pre alcohol propiotic drink. It's the world's first genetically engineered pro biotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this byproducts, not dehydration that sublime for rough days after drinking, pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this byproduct down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. Longtime listeners know that we are evangelists for z Biotics. I basically will not have a drink without a zbiotics and I got to tell you love it.
Speaker 1: The other day, I.
Speaker 4: Ran out and then I went on a trip and I went out to dinner with a friend of the pod, my Gottlieb, who is a big wine fan, and I didn't have a z Biotics because I was not at home and I couldn't find one in the store. And the next day, Boy did I notice the difference?
Speaker 1: Boy did I.
Speaker 4: Never again Ziotics. I literally went online that night and ordered another pack. July is packed with barbecues, fireworks, late weekends and late nights with friends. Keep the good times rolling into the next day. Drink pre alcohol before you go out, and wake up ready for whatever Sunday brings. Remember head to z Byaotics dot com, slash crooked and use the code crooked to check out for fifteen percent off Pots.
Speaker 5: Of America's broad you Ight Chime. Look, we all know someone who could use a quick reality check when it comes to their money, and hey, maybe that's someone is you. But no matter where your finances stand, we can all agree on one thing. A good bank should offer great rewards without slapping you with hidden fees. That's where Chime comes in. Chime is changing the way people bank. They're not like a traditional bank that loves to gate keep the best rewards and pile on hidden fees unless you have a massive balance. Chime offers the most rewarding fee free banking, all with no overdraft fees, no monthly fees, no minimum balance fees. You get five percent cash back on Chime Card in a category of your choice, like gas or groceries, all while building credit through regular everyday spending. No credit check required. You can also grow your money faster with a savings rate that's nine times the national average. And if you're ever in a pinch, spot me lets you overdrafts up to two hundred dollars fee free. Join the millions who are already banking fee free with America's number one choice for banking. Head to Chime dot com slash crooked. That is Chime dot com slash crooked. Sign up now. It only takes a few minutes. Chime is a fintech, not a bank. Banking services and Chime Card provided by Chimes bank partners qualifying direct deposits. Required terms and limits apply. Go to Chime dot com slash disclosures for details.
Speaker 1: I mentioned trump shitty approval ratings in all those new polls, The generic ballot seems to be widening again as well, after getting maybe a little bit better for Republicans over the last month, but this week CNN now has it at Democrats have an eight point lead, Emerson has Democrats within eleven point lead, Pew is six points, the Argument is eight points, and Fox is seven points. What's your take on why the polling is getting worse again for Trump and Republicans and how much do you think Republican midterm candidates will be able to outrun Trump's numbers, Because even though this generic ballot number is getting wider, Republicans are still you know, they are performing better than Trump's approval rating would suggest.
Speaker 2: Or Democrats are underperforming correct perp warting will suggest. So there's a couple of things going on here. One is the obvious, which is the war is back in the news. Gas prices are going up again, that you can. Gas prices and a presidential president of a proper rating are highly correlated, and so I think that's part of it. If you want to get nerdy about what's the difference between the polls where like the Pupil where Democrats have a six point generic ballot lead and Emerson where Democrats eleven point generic ballot lead. It is very you can isolate it. And this is something our friend Ron Brownstein has pointed out repeatedly. Is it centers around what percentage of people who disapprove of Trump are voting for Democrats on the generic ballot in the pupil it is a little less than eighty percent. In these polls where it's like eleven percent, you're getting to ninety percent eighty eight ninety percent Democrats in most midterm elections, in both the when Democrats did very, very well in twenty eighteen and in twenty twenty two, they did quite well. Sorry, in twenty eighteen, it's because we got ninety percent of Trump disapprovers voting for a Democrat for Congress. Now, the reason Democrats did better in twenty twenty two that people expected was because Republicans were not able to get to that ninety percent number of Biden disapprovers. And so that is the group right now as you think of. But there is a statistical issue in how these polls work. I don't know which is right which is wrong. But if you're looking at what's the difference between a good Democratic election and a great Democratic election, one major factor is how successful Democratic candidates are. Again, of people who disapprove of Trump to vote for a Democrat down ballot.
Speaker 1: I will say I've noticed in some of the polls where the margin might be a little narrower, there's just a bigger undecided number as well, like they're not pushing the undecideds, and the Republican number is quite low in those polls. And so it's basically the Democratic number is under fifty, but the Republican number in some of these is like low forties, high thirties in some of them. And you do wonder in an election where you know, you have the party in power, and usually the party in power is punished by the voters if those undecided don't end up breaking towards the Democrats at the end, you know.
Speaker 2: And that I mean, that is the question, and I think it's it may usually what happens, but you know, it may depend race to race, right, which is when you look at twenty twenty two is the cautionary example for Democrats because we lost the House. Republicans did not do great, but they took the House. But then Democrats won a bunch of Senate races because we had better candidates running against pretty bad Republican candidates in places like Georgia, Pennsylvania, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's talk about the democratic side of the midterm battle. I'll start with the good news. In addition to those generic ballot numbers, there are some great news Senate polls, including a Fox News poll in North Carolina that has Roy Cooper up nine on Michael Wattley, and it looks like at least one Republican super pac is starting to pull their money out of the state. One prominent election forecaster, Larry Sabado's about his Crystal All, just moved the Georgia Senate race from lean Democratic to likely Democratic based on what they call a stable lead in the polls. Do you every think you'd see a Georgia Senate race moved to likely Democratic? Wild? In Iowa, Josh Turik dropped a great new video where our old boss Barack Obama endorses him while they shoot hoops, which has already been viewed by the equivalent of the entire population of Iowa just on Josh Turik's social accounts alone. It was a great video. What's your take on the developments in North Carolina and Georgia, it is it safe to exhale on those obviously No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, of course not. I mean I just basically at the almost passed out just at the idea of moving Georgia to lean Democratic likely. But there's no question we are better positioned in North Carolina, in Georgia at with less than hundred days ago than we ever thought could be possible a year ago. Like the we have great candidates running against bad Republican candidates or can't say, have huge fund raising advantages. We should be clear that it is highly unlikely that Roy Cooper wins by nine points and John Assoff wins by nine to ten or whatever the poles say, like these races are going to be closer, Like in these polls, whre Cooper is right around fifty, Michael Whitley, who's much less well known, is down below. That undecided is unlikely to allocate entirely to the Democrat. May even it may be sixty forty or thirty seventy going with seventy percent going to the Republican because I'd have to look, we need a more high quality post look at like who makes up that undecided, But many of them probably profile as at least potentially voting for a Republican. So I think they're very very well position. These races are going to get closer, and look, if Republicans are pulling money out of North Carolina, that's a that's that's great because that's the means Democrat democracyuperpacs may not have to spend as much money there, and we'll have more money to spend in these stretch dates. The North Carolina kind of thing also relates to the shift in the map post gram Platner, which is, if you would have bet in order of likelihood, Maine was the most likely state to flip in North Caroline's the second most likely state to flip, But because of how everything's played out, Maine, North Carolina is probably now the most likely state to flip, and main is the second most likely state to flip, so you'll see more resources head there.
Speaker 1: Why do you think Roy Cooper of all the candidates, is this far ahead A.
Speaker 2: Couple of reasons. I interviewed Roy Cooper on this exact podcast a few weeks ago. Roy Cooper is awesome. He is He is just you know, like everyone wants. We often do these super exciting, super inspirational candidates who are like crushing TikTok memes or whatever else. And Racoper is just like a great politician. He is incredibly charming, He is smart, he has delivered for the state. He has the biparted He's tried to be bipartisan against one of the most radical Republican legislatures in the country. He is a plush things. He won in that state twice with Trump on the ballot. In the state of North Carolina, and Michael Wattley was a terrible choice for Republicans. He is a former state party cherries Trump's hand picked choice. Voters don't know him. He there's a whole bunch about Mike watt He's just was a bad choice. And so you have a very very good candidate running against a bad Republican in a state that is I think it is underperformed for Democrats in the last couple elections if you look at it demographically, and so there is real potential here, particularly in a midterm elector. Rate will look better than a presidential electorate there because of the high proportion of college educated voters in the research triangle in the other suburbs of the state.
Speaker 1: I also think on the flip side to your earlier point about you know, Cooper being at these polls being around fifty and Wattley being much lower. One reason for that could be that this is a race where everyone knows Roy Cooper. Yeah, exactly right, And so if you're undecided, you've probably there's probably a better chance you've you know Roy Cooper and decided you don't want to vote for him. But you don't know who this Michael Waltley character is, and maybe it's a Republican who's gonna end up coming home or just not voting. And I guess you know, you could say some similar similar thing about Osoff in Georgia, right, like he's their senator and he's been their senator. Mike Collins is just a congressman in one district, but also two really bad candidates in Mike Collins and Michael Walley.
Speaker 2: So Mike Collins today was doing a Pressville I think this was today, and he had to end it early because he got a bunch of questions about all of the anti Semitic, Nazi esque things that his son in law has been posting online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really cool. Uh, We've also got some potentially good Senate News in deep red states like Montana, Idaho, and Nebraska, where the new Democratic strategy appears to be don't run a Democrat. You want to explain what's happened in those dates.
Speaker 2: Sure, so, there is an emerging theory that in states like Nebraska. In Montana it's Trump won by twenty points. In Idaho was Trump won by thirty six points. The Democratic brand is so toxic that no person, no matter how great a canon and ma how wealthun and they are, could actually be a Republican. But an independent would have a much better chance at taking out a Republican in an anti Republican year like.
Speaker 1: The one Moran.
Speaker 2: And so in Nebraska you have Dan Osborne, who's a union organizer who ran in twenty twenty four against deb Fisher is running again. He over He outperformed Kamala Harris by about fourteen points. He only lost by six movies closer to seven points ago. Yeah, it was like six point seven points, Trump on by twenty. And then in Idaho you have Todd Achilles, who is a veteran, a businessman, former state legislator, used to be a Democrat, has left the party becoming an independent. He is running against Jim Risch, who was an actual senator, though it was probably comes a news to people, but he is and in that race, there is no In both Idaho and Nebraska, the person who won the Democratic primary dropped out to give the independent Candon their best chance. In Montana, you have Seth Bodner running. He is a former Green Bray and the longtime president Niversity of Montana. He is running as an independent and there is also a Democrat in the race who is refusing to drop out. And some polling has shown that Bodner has a legitimate chance. I think he was down by a point or two to the Republican whose name I cannot remember. And you remember the context here race is that they're basically the Republican dropped out like minutes before the filing deadline, So there's a whole there's a whole corruption element to this too. So the potential shot in this race, but the Democrat does not seem like she is dropping out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Democrat in Idaho dropped out just this last week, and so you know, I think Todd Achilles in that state, the polling hasn't showed him as close to Jim Rich, but like he's still you know, it's better than the Democrat for sure, and now that the Democrats dropped out, maybe he'll get some more attention. But in Montana, I mean there's some polling that shows Seth Bodner over Kurt Kurt Almey is their Republican who basically you know, they the fix was in. And as soon as Steve Danes, who is the Republican, the Republican Center of Montana dropped out that he's the one who just filed a couple of minutes after that. But the Democrat in that race just like refuses to drop out, and she has no money, no real campaign, and is just being stubborn for no reason. And she does have until, by the way, August tenth, so she can drop out by August tenth and then give Seth Bodnar like a real chance against the Republican and we could, you know, you could get independence in there now, Seth Bodnar, Todd Achilles. There's also Brian bangs Is running in South Dakota. You know, they're not like liberal Democrats, they're not even mainstream Democrats. I think all of them have some and same thing with Dan Osborne. Some of them have some like I would say, I would characterize it as more culturally conservative positions on some issues and then little more economically populist positions on other issues, not too lefty economic populace, but for a red state, they do very focused on sort of anti corruption, good government. I mean, they're the type you would want them in the United States Senate, way way way over the Republicans in those seats.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, as an example, Dan Osbourne in twenty twenty four ran an ad saying he would help Trump.
Speaker 1: Build the wall right right, but he's also like on economic issues on healthcare, like minimum wage, union rights. Yeah, you want to be he's great on all that stuff, you know, So that's hopefully that'll work. But yeah, if you're in Montana, you're in Idaho, check out some of these candidates. And also if you're in Montana, like try to help make some noise so that the Democrat in that race can finally drop out and do the right thing before August tenth and actually give us a shot there, because if not, we have no shot.
Speaker 2: I would say that in Montana, and I've heard from some people in Montana about this, that there is a lot of anger at how this has played out that you know, you have a Democratic Party of a fairly el something vibrant Democratic party that has you know, elected John Tester multiple times, so there's been Democratic governors of the state in recent years. And to sort of have that whole process uh pushed aside for someone who they believe to be quite flawed on many issues has led to anger, which is I think leading to Banks saying the race. Now, if you take a step back and you say, what is our best chance of beating Kurt Almey and winning a seat, even if it's a long shot, it is clearly Seth Bodner and it's not a close call. And there is something that connects this with the DNC conversation you guys had on Tuesday with something we're about to talk about here, which is there really is like it's sort of order the flies in the Democratic Party right now. Ideas you know, you would like to think that there's someone in charge, someone with authority who come in and say, look, someone who's trusted, who could say the best thing to defeat Republicans and have Democrats possibly take the Senate and hold it for a while, because we really want to have a governing majority. We need to go back to a world where we can win Montana, at Idaho and a brask and places like that. Is for to give Seth Bodner a chance here, even if it is a long shot and no one has that authority. Same thing at the DNC, where no one has the actual authority to go and tell Ken Martin he should go if that's what they think. And so there is just we're kind of no one is in charge right now in the party and that has consequences in these sorts of situations. And you don't I'm like, you don't want people from watching the company and doing everything, but there is at times you have to make really hard strategic decisions and there's no one trusted to make those decisions, so you end up with situations like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real problem. But when you you know, NBC just had a story about this today, just sort of detailing what's going on in the Montana race and saying how like, even though the party is sort of at war with itself right now, people from all different parts of the party are all for Seth Bodner getting a chance in this race. Like they interview Faz Shakir you know, work for Bernie Sanders near a Tandeon at cap like like the Left the Center. Everyone's for this and so it's just a matter of actually these people in these races who are democrats doing the right things.
Speaker 4: Patz America is brought to you by Hymns. ED is more common than guys talk about the good news. Getting real treatment is simple, and through HYMNS it's one hundred percent online. HYMNS connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate d treatment options from home. No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines. Just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribed, your treatment ships directly to your door. That includes Sildentifhil, also known as a generic for viagra available through HYMNS it up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version. And if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for e and more visit hymns dot com slash crooked. That's hims dot com slash crooked. Hymns dot com slash.
Speaker 1: Crooked not available in all fifty states. Prescription required. See website for details, restrictions and important safety information. So Identifil is the generic version of Viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Vietrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan Tuberski here, I'm a podcast host, a journalist, and now with my newest project, the author of my own manifesto. Well, it's a manifesto about manifestos, my search for inspiration and a world that feels more infuriating, more out of its freaking mind with each passing hour. Manifestos are a call to action, an artful screen. They capture our anger and they try to do something with it. This is my attempt to take the manifesto back from mass shooters and nihilists, then return it to its rightful place with the warriors, the visionaries, the regular folks with just the right amount of craze. I compare notes with radicals, secessionists, internet trolls out for a laugh and punctioningers screaming their guts out, all trying to turn their anger into the world they want to see. Listen to Manifesto wherever you get your podcasts. Audible subscribers can binge all episodes of Manifesto early and ad free right now. Join Audible in the Audible app or by subscribing on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in the Upper Midwest, the Democratic civil war is raging. Like the twenty sixteen primary never ended. We are We're in the final stages of the primary campaigns in the Michigan Senate and House races or election Day is this coming Tuesday, and the Wisconsin Governor's race, which is a week later. In Michigan, the final debate of the Senate primary between Hailey Stevens and Abdul Lsaed was Monday night. Here's a sample of the vibe.
Speaker 8: Would you ask sixty million dollars to come into a race for you and then say that somehow you're electable. I think you don't quite understand what electability means. If you need a sixty million dollar crutch, you probably can't be elected on your own terms.
Speaker 9: My opponent is on these big podcasts, you know, he's running a podcast himself. These folks are making fun of the way I sound, But yet I sound like the people who need help who are talking to me about what they need.
Speaker 1: A direct attack on podcasters, Dan, what the fuck? And in one of ours? Actually the podcast she was referring to there America Dissected one of a cricket podcasts for many years. Hasn't been for a couple of years. But yeah, that was what Abdual hosted right here on our network and podcast about public health for the p Yeah, I was going to say that's the It's not really this thing. She was trying to make it out to be this celebrity podcast, like.
Speaker 2: It's not breaking down Real Housewives of Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a pretty staid podcast about public health that's helping inform people about public health. Anyway, it's getting even more heated between surrogates, as it often does. Michigan Congresswoman Hillary Shulton, who is a Hailey Stephens supporter, was asked by Semaphore on Wednesday evening whether she'll support Abdul if he wins, and she said, quote, I will not stand beside someone who has allowed distinctly anti American sentiment to enter our public dialogue. When Abdul came on this podcast, Alex Wagner asked him the same question about Stevens. He said, I will do everything I can to make sure Mike Rodgers never sees the inside of the US Senate Bernie Sanders the same night that Hillary Schulton gave that interview, was on CNN saying he would support Hailey Stevens if she's the winner as well, and just not getting it from all of the supporters on Hailey Stephens side.
Speaker 2: But Hailey Stephens herself has said yes, she has never being totally fair hair. There are people on the other side who feel the same way about Haley Stevens. Because here's the thing. If you believe the polls, and we only have a small sample size of the poles here, Abdul is the most likely Democratic nominee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Emerson came out. So we've had a lot of kind of either internal polls or polls that are like not high quality or maybe they're just new pollsters. But we had an Emerson poll on Thursday. Emerson's a high quality pole and it has a dual up fifteen percent over Haley, which does match with some of those other poles that we weren't sure about, We're saying.
Speaker 2: And it matches the internal polls that are circulating. Yes, so I think that that probably is an accurate picture. Where the race stands today four days before the primary, and a fairmenum people have voted already.
Speaker 1: In the state.
Speaker 2: But no matter who wins, everyone's gonna have to come back together again, and both the winner and the loser are going to have to build a bridge to get the other side together. Right, Like, if Abdul wins, he is going to have to be very magnanimous and very open, and he is going to need the support of all of the establishment that is supporting Haley Stevens in Michigan, Gretchen and Whitmer, Dana Nessel, Debbie Stabinow, Gary Peters, And if Haley Stevens were to win, then she is going to need the support of the huge grassroots network that Abdul has created, the UAW, which is supported Abdul, Like, everyone's gonna have to come together here pretty quickly, because this is the problem with the late primary is there's not a lot of time to mend fences, build a coalition and then go win in general election.
Speaker 1: Here's all I'll say about it. It is one thing to have supporters on both sides who when the other candidate wins are gonna say that they're going to take their toys and go home. And that's going to happen. But it's there is a difference if it is people who are just you know, posting online or you know, influencers here and there, podcasters, streamers, whoever it may be, there's a difference between those people and elected officials and leaders in the Democratic Party. And if you're a leader in the Democratic Party, you're an elected official. You set the example for everyone else to follow. And if random person with a couple hundred thousand followers on Twitter is like, no, I'm not voting for Abduel or I'm not voting for Hailey Stevens, whatever, there's nothing we can all do about that. You know, we can shame that person, yell at them, try to convince them to do whatever you want, but like you're going to get that that's just going to happen in primaries. We don't have to like amplify that a ton because then it'll just cause everything to be worse. But elected officials like Hillary Schulton should not have said that like that, And there's there's not an elected official on Abdul side who has said something similar. There just hasn't been And like to Hailey Stevens' credit, she hasn't said anything like that. Her other elected officials who are supporting out and said that. But like for Hillary Schulton to say that is just unbelievably unhelpful, unproductive. And what you were saying by telling people that is that if Abdul wins the primary, then somehow you'd rather Mike Rogers be the Senator. Mike Rogers, who is a Trump supporting healthcare cutting, like all of the all of the right wing Trump positions, who would vote for a Trump nominated to the Supreme Court. You would rather that person happen to win the race and then try hard to go out there and make sure that Abdul wins the Senate race. And I just think that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it is not it's not constructive. It's maybe the nicest way to say.
Speaker 1: It's not constructing. Again, it's like if you are a leader in the I mean, we don't tend to endorse in races we are in this one because we we know Abdul and have worked with him. But like I've said from the beginning, Hailey Stevens wins, I am all in for Hailey Stevens, and like I don't agree with it, that doesn't mean I suddenly change my mind and agree with her position on Israel. I don't, but like she is far in a way better than Mike Rogers, and I'm be very comfortable voting for her and supporting her and doing whatever I can to make sure she wins.
Speaker 2: You know I would donate. I would if she wins the primary on Tuesday night, I will donate to her before I breakas on Lee's Day.
Speaker 1: Morton for sure. And you look, people will forget this. But like you and I had this conversation a million times back on the whole Platinum Mills thing where we're like Janet Mills wins this primary, we are all for Janet Mills. We'll go up to main and knock on doors, right like we are on the team here.
Speaker 2: And did you just get did someone cattle project that we hadn't mentioned Platner in this podcast. I was just saying, like this is going too well. We haven't engendered any hatred just yet.
Speaker 1: Let's I am. I am trying to because I really I just I have these we have this primary here in Wisconsin and Michigan that this is happening for but like we're gonna look ahead, this is gonna happen in twenty twenty eight. I'm trying to practice what we preach, set an example, and hope that everyone else in positions of influence and leadership in this party does the same thing. Because if we turn around and just you either want to win or you want to fight right, or you want and then you want to be right, so that like after someone loses that you didn't want to win, you can say, oh see, I was right all along. Like is that going to feel more satisfying than having a democratic Senate, democratic House, a democratic president. That's something you have to ask yourself.
Speaker 2: For people insulated from the consequences of politics, it probably will. But for the people Michigan, people of America, absolutely not right.
Speaker 1: So you can post later that like you were right all along. And again this goes for We've seen it. We've been doing this for ten years. We've seen it on both sides. We've seen sore lose it on the left and the center left. Anyway, what are your thoughts on the on the electability arguments from both sides, because I do think in this race it has been tricky to figure out to make an electability case, partly because I think there's been such a lack of high quality polling.
Speaker 2: It is. There is one poll from the Michigan Education Association, a business group that circulated it last week or earlier this week that showed Hailey Stevens doing much better against Mike Rodgers, beating Mike Rodgers and by fair amount, and Abdul losing to Mike Rodgers verma Correctly, I don't know if that poll is correct. The Republicans do believe privately and publicly that Abdul will be easier to beat than Holly Stevens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you look at their real Clear Politics average, it has Stevens point five over Rogers and Abdul point five over Rogers, exactly the same. And then the basically the entire electibility gap comes from that poll that you just mentioned. I'm kind of surprised that Emerson didn't pull the general. Yes, like they just pulled the primary and they didn't give us a fucking general.
Speaker 2: It can come on guys, and similar thing with the but we'll get to WISCONSONMENTA. We've seen similar things with some poles that could do that. I'm surprised, yeah, I'm surprised they didn't do that. Like hypothetical general election polling is quite flawed, but the people whose job it is to win elections on the publican side believe and they could be wrong. They absolutely could be wrong. They do, and they've spent money to try to do that. There's so much money being spent on the Hilly Steven side that it hasn't really mattered that much. But they have tried to boost Abdul in this race, and so I can make an electability argument for both of them. I've done it in my newsletter. I think it is theoretical self fulfilling bullshit in most cases. The one thing I'd say is for Abdul there is he's he. He has more statements and more positions in his life. They can be demogogue by Republicans, and Hilly Stephens does for sure outside of his reas well. I was gonna say that the challenge for Hailey Stephens is what makes her a moderate in this race is that She is more moderate than Abdul on a whole bunch of issues that I care for, all abolish ice, but she is you know, she voted with Joe Biden I think one hundred percent of the time, and so she is more moderate a than Abdul, but she's not. This is not Joe Manchin or Jared Golden or something like that. What makes her out were the one issue where she is not sort of swimming with the stream in the Democratic Party right now is on Israel.
Speaker 1: She is one of the more foremost or you could say the Michigan electorate.
Speaker 2: And that was what That's what I was saying, is what the thing that gets lost in the conversation about the changing public opinion on Israel is that the biggest shift is not Democrats, it's independence. And we have not seen Michigan specific polling on that, but I would imagine it's at least comparatible to the national polling or more stark than that. And so that is a challenge and for Abdul to win, like in this Emerson poll, he is losing black voters by thirty points. Now, I'm confident that most of those black voters would prefer Abdul over Mike Rodgers. But you just have to turn them out. It's not just that they whether they choose you or not or prefer you. And then for Hailey Stevens, the heart going to be a very challenging thing to get youth turnout in Michigan, a state with huge colleges in Lansing and Arbor. When you when you are have the position you have on Israel, and your campaign's been bankrolled to the tune of like sixty million dollars from a pack and so these are challenges for both of them, but neither of them win. To go back to original point if before, we're not completely unified in this race because Mike Rodgers is a very good opponent. This is a fifty to fifty state. I think both of them can win, but they both have challenges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. So things are no more pleasant in Wisconsin, where Democratic socialist Francesca Houng seems to have the nomination for governor wrapped up, despite a last minute attempt by the state's Democratic establishment to stop her. She's crushing in all the polls. Former Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes just dropped out a couple hours before we started recording, and David Crowley, who quit the race and then re entered the race the other week with Governor Ever's endorsement, is still stuck around ten to fifteen percent in the polls. A lot of Democrats worried about this race with Hang as the nominee, based on some pretty fire out there old statements, tweets, policy positions. She once called for abolishing the Senate, then her campaign said she never did, but the tweet does in fact exist. She once called for abolishing prisons and police, though now says those aren't her current positions. She even had a twenty twenty tweet about abolishing Thanksgiving, calling it quote the original super spreader event that killed indigenous folk and women folk there spelled folx dan. What do you think of Hung's chances?
Speaker 2: Well, if the polls are correct, she is almost certainly going to be the Democratic nominee. There have been two polls out this week where she is up by more than twenty points and has veryhi favorability, So it seems like she using to be a Democratic nominee. This is a very very hard race. It is she, as you point out, is a democratic socialist. Democratic socialists have a minus twenty one I think approval rating in Wisconsin minus twenty three percent, Democrats of minus twenty one percent, Magas of minus nineteen percent. No one's doing great, but so Democratic socialism. She has these positions that can be demagogued. In addition to Wisconsin, like I just said, I said Michigan was a fifty to fifty state. Wisconsin is the swing state. It has been decided by want less than one point in five of the last seven presidential elections. Anne Hong is running to succeed a two term Democratic governor in a change election, so she can absolutely win, Like this is a you're a fifty to fifty state. The political environment based on the Papoleon we just had a summer between six to eleven points Democratic, so you have some margin for error there. But it's going to take some real work and she's going to have to be very smart in depth. And everyone I know who knows her, Amanda Littman was talking about her with me because she's a run for Something candidate when she was on this podcast a couple weekends ago, that she is incredibly bright. She's obviously ran an incredible primary campaign. She's a very good campaigner, and she's going to have to run essentially a flawless campaigned and navigate these issues to the end. But if she does that, she can win. But it's it's hard. It's obviously hard. It was gonna be a hard race matter who the nominee is. It's probably a little bit harder with her as the nominee.
Speaker 1: Here's one other thing I'd like to see from her, and to an extent, Abdul as well, if he ends up being the nominee. Like I've said this before, that you know you have old tweets. You know woke one was crazy and twenty twenty people had a lot of crazy tweets, And if you want to disavow them, great. I just think there needs to be a little more like so. Haung was asked by jmar after the debate whether she's.
Speaker 2: Said, Jonathan Martin from political Jonathan Martin, it's hard.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't had their brains broken about politics for the last yes so many years, whether she still supports the goal, the aspirational goal of abolishing prisons. And the answer has got to be just no, just no, no, I don't and it was she didn't say she supports it, but it was sort of a long winding answer and about you know, overincarceration and all these things that are true, right, Like, we overincarceerate people, our prisons, the conditions they are terrible. We put people in jail for nonviolent crimes that they shouldn't be in jail for, right, Like, all of that stuff is true. But when someone asks you, do you think that we should defund the police? The answer is no, do we think do you think that we should abolish prisons? No? Do should we abolish police departments?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Should we abolish borders?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: And what about you said that before? So what was that tweet about? I was wrong? I was wrong. I tweeted something back then. I have thought about it, and you know what, it's wrong. That's it. And like, I don't think Abdul has done that well enough on defund and I think he can. He needs to fix that if he runs the general. And I think certainly she has a whole bunch for Jessica Hog of positions like that, because and look, and the left will say, well, they have very popular positions on healthcare and data centers stuff like that, Yes they do, and those positions they don't have to worry about as much, and they should spend the campaign emphasizing them. But in order for voters to hear your positions on those issues, they need to feel comfortable that on those other issues, on the group of abolish issues. That keeps getting a lot of these DSA people in trouble that you just disavowed them and you've changed your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right. You have to be very you have to look, you have to reckon with the reality of the race you're running. If you are running in a district that Kamala Harris won by fifty points in Manhattan or Colorado, that's one world. If you're running statewide in Michigan or Wisconsin, that is a very different world than You're going to have to be very clear and that your primary win, you know, if the polls are correct, both of their primary win is going to be incredibly impressive. But that tells you very little about how you're going to do in the general and the new and the whole set of voters you're now going to have to go persuade, and then it's going to require a shift in strategy. H a change in not a change in like what you actually believe are your values. But how you talk, But how you talk you have to be. You have to think that now I have to persuade a whole bunch of people who disagree with me on a lot of things to support me. And what you can do that by ampasizing the things they do agree with you on, like healthcare being a human right, universal health care in whatever form you're choosing to be, in a lot of stuff that data centers, a lot of stuff at statewide for Francesca hang in about education in Wisconsin, like that can work, but you do there are some barriers you have to get over, and you're going tens of millions of dollars will be spent throwing your old positions, your old statements, your old tweets in your face on a daily basis, and you're going to have to do what Kamala Harris was unwilling to do in twenty twenty four, which is explicitly go out and say clearly and repeatedly, I would change my mind.
Speaker 1: Here's why. Yeah, because here's what doesn't work. Just trying to change the issue again because you don't want to talk about healthcare and no, doesn't work. Doesn't work. People can read, they can see the positions, they will watch the videotape of you saying whatever, they will read the old tweets, and there needs to be video of you out there giving an explanation. And I don't want to hear that the ex because we hear this in the fuck from the Harris campaign that it didn't test well. None of the responses tested well. Of course they're not going to test well. You're responding to something that is unbelievably unpopular, so it's not going to test well. It's just something that you have to say.
Speaker 2: Abdill got this question on CNN. He refewed he would not say he know our support to fund place. He said a bunch of words that I think he thought in his head added up to that, but it was not clear and basically seemed like he refused to answer whether he still supported it. You knew who was very clear about this, zoraon Mumdani when he was running.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, like, if you don't want to listen to us because we're a bunch of fucking centrist Neil Obama shills, like go just watch some tape of AOC and Zora Mumdani. Right, the heroes of the left. Just watch watch the tape and you'll see that they exactly what you just said, that they know exactly how to talk about this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just they asked you still support and he said no. And that was New York City, not Michigan.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, it's good, easier for him there than it's going to be in Michigan in Wisconsin, for sure.
Speaker 5: There's a new show from the Guardian called Stateside with Kai and Carter. The idea is pretty simple. Slow things down, focus on one story, ask the questions you're probably already yelling at your phone, and by the end actually feel like you understand what's going on. They're digging into everything from authoritarianism to the rise of people dating AI chatbots. No fluff, no pretending everything is fine, just smart conversations and sharp reporting. The show pulls from The Guardian's Global newsroom, so you're getting covered across politics, culture, a climate and more, plus conversations with big thinkers and newsmakers. Join Kai Write and Carter Sherman three times a week as they try to make sense of all this. New episodes drop every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You can watch on YouTube or listen wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last piece of bad news on the midterms before we get to some other bad news. Elon Musk says he's going to spend at least one hundred million dollars. Elon's back. He's got one hundred million dollars that he's going to spend to help Republican candidates in the fall. So much for starting that third party. How big of a deal do you think this is?
Speaker 2: I think this is fucking great. Probably have such a financial advantage that one hundred million dollars. It's basically like spitting in the ocean at this point.
Speaker 1: Honestly, what we need. That was my first instinct. But I'm glad that you think that too.
Speaker 2: Like that all the world's richest man is going to spend one hundred million dollars like he could put it. He could put five billion dollars in if he wanted, and it would be nothing to him. Let's make Elon must the face of a lot of these Republicans. He's incredibly unpopular. It allows you to talk about dough, She allows you to talk about AI, which we're about to get to it allows you to talk about big tech. It is like corruption everything else, Like, well, put him front and center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, speaking of AI. A couple of these candidates, in particular Francesca Hong, have made opposition to AI data centers a focal point of their campaigns, and this week it was really easy to understand why putting limits on the AI industry is so appealing to people. As some of you may have seen or heard, a new model from open ai escaped it's so called sandbox. What's a sandbox? While that's basically a lockdown server with no Internet where it was undergoing testing and secretly escaped the sandbox reached the Internet and hacked into a separate AI platform called hugging Face in order to score better on a cybersecurity evaluation. Open Ai CEO Sam Altman said it was quote the first security incident that I have felt very viscerally good. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Can I say one thing about that that is the scariest thing of that is the AI model left notes in the server to itself because they thought it would be destroyed after this. Basically like, here's how I did it, so future versions of me can do this, and I saw someone say that if this AI agent was a person, they would have been convicted of many, many crimes.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, yeah, but not Sam. Sam just felt it very viscerally. He seems to be moving toward favoring some kind of centralized controls on AI development, kind of slowly, as do Trump. The founders of Anthropic and more than a thousand employees of those companies who signed an open letter this week the State, but not Mark Zuckerberg. But not Mark Zuckerberg, that little fuck who's out there being like, oh, all these guys want centralized control, and I just want everyone to have their own AI, and I want everyone to be free to have their own private, personalized AI, because I'm for that freedom, and they're for central control. Because all the fucking people that Meta has hired on their payroll, Democrats and Republicans to like run their pr campaign on AI, realized that the advantage that they could have is to paint Anthropic and open AI and all the rest of them is this centralized control. And then Meta just wants everyone to be free and have their own AI. Well, everyone having their own AI that isn't tested and that can just run and do whatever the fuck it wants. Isn't freedom, It's fucking anarchy.
Speaker 2: Not great.
Speaker 1: That's my Mark Sockerberg thing. I cannot stand him. So the statement, I was like all excited that all these employees, including meta open AI anthropics, signed this letter. The statement in the letter is, we request that the US government support an international effort to develop the technical and governance tools needed to deliberately pace the frontier of automated AI development.
Speaker 2: Whoo, it's an impossible thing to do. Like the other people making AI are the Chinese. Trump and a national tale Vice address like three weeks ago to accuse him of interfering in our election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever happened with that? Altman himself went to Capitol Hill this week to meet and have a fancy dinner with concerned senators who probably had no idea what was going on, which is all well and good, except that what the public keeps hearing from the AI bros is shit like this.
Speaker 7: Well, we need to explain the world. Number one, we are close to creating the genie that can grant any wish. Number two, we are going to make sure that our first wishes broadly benefit humanity. We are now like in this singularity, like this is the moment from the last ten years ago.
Speaker 10: This was like a kind of far off dream. At best, it seemed very improbable. And now we're like actually in the moment that we used to like talk about at the lunch table in a very not serious way.
Speaker 5: I think there's still a ten to twenty percent chance that killer robots mean the end of humanity.
Speaker 1: That's a high p doo. As they say, well, in the long run, we're all dead, of course. Yeah, in the long run we're all dead, of course, good pointing one, But how about the short run? Can we not be dead in the short run too?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the point. If you're gonna be dead in the long run while you're worrying about the short run.
Speaker 1: You've been thinking about this one for a while. Uh, what should democrats be doing? Insane about this because it seems like no one is running this rodeo here.
Speaker 2: AI is the technological, economic, cultural, sociological health issue of our time. It threatens to change everything about how we live, and it is something that people have a growing fear and concern about, and it is in a credibly polarized world. There is a complete jump ball between the parties. The most recent pupil ask people in a battery of issues which party they trusted more. Twenty three percent trusted Republicans, twenty two percent trusted Democrats, and fifty one percent said neither party. People are crying out for leadership in our calcified politics. This is the one opportunity to completely reshape how people think about the party if one party can step up, take a leadership role here, stand up, be strong about the risks here, have an actual vision for how you regulate it, for how you deal with data centers, how you pay for this, how you protect people from the economics and social downsides of this. Like this is this is the issue Democrats have been There are exceptions, but Democrats have been largely silent or sort of nebulous about our position on it. That's for a couple of reasons. One is we have a lot of old Democrats, like I don't know if you saw the interview that Jim Clyburn did with sted Herndon on his podcast where he found he admitted he found outbout Chuchibt last week. This is one of the most prominent Democrats in the House. And another reason is a lot of candidates are very worried about the highly funded AI super PACs coming in and dumping a whole bunch of money against them, like they did to Alex Boris at the House race primary in New York. And the third reason is on data centers. There are complicated politics for some Democrats because while two thirds of the public does not want a data center in their community, labor unions and particularly the building trades very much want to be building data centers. The reason this is a huge opportunity and a necessity for Democrats is one, it is the issue when you should be talking about the issue. Two, it is an amazing point of contrast with Trump and the Republicans because Donald Trump's fall if he is to let the AI bros As you call them, who have given Trump millions and millions of dollars to him, both politically and personally, do whatever they want. Their philosophy has let AI cook and he wants to build a data center on every corner. Just the report in the New York Times this week that he wants to give federal land for the to use repurpose federal land for the construction of data centers like we could be the smart, authentic passionate populist voice here arguing for a sensible solution, and we just that has on happened. I hope this is a I hope this has talked about it in every twenty twenty eight debate. Hope this has talked about all the time, like this is the thing, and that we have an opportunity and an obligational lead, and we have not done it yet.
Speaker 1: Here's the other tricky dynamic that we have watched unfold since the beginning of this debate is when people raise their voices, whether it's the the people who run these AI companies themselves or the people who work there, or experts or politicians or whatever it may be, and say, slow down, be careful. We got to put some guardrails on the inevitable answer you get from people who want to just keep going as fast as possible is, but China, and we can't lose the AI race because we don't want If we slow down, China won't slow down, and then they'll have all the advanced AI and then we won't have it, and then they will dominate, you know, militarily, economically, et cetera, et cetera. And I think democrats have to figure out how to grapple with that, because I've heard some Democrats who are more favorable towards AI make that argument, some of the more like national security minded, centrist minded democrats. And I mean, you mentioned the AI packs and all the other things, but I do think there's a genuine belief among some people who are like you know, have the best motivations, that they're just like worried about China, which is and I think that the only way that we're actually going to not kill each other with these things these have the robots kill us all is for like an international effort here, an international diplomacy, which we're not going to have with this president at all. But I do think like there is no way you're going to be able to transition to this AI era without like real strong diplomacy and some kind of international framework on this, because otherwise, every time someone tries to stop AI here or slow it down, the industry and other people are just going to say, no, no, you can't do that, because China is just going to raise ahead you.
Speaker 2: Obviously AI is happening. It is like the genie that Sad Moment said, we can make is out the model and you have to, but you have to find a way to do it in a way that is safe, that where there's actual, real thinking about the policy consequences that are other than just the use of the energy costs. How is that being paid for? Because that's the big thing that these data centers is jacking up electricity prices everywhere with the environmental consequences of that, and perhaps probably most importantly or most relevant a lot of people, what are we doing for the lots of people who could lose their jobs because of this?
Speaker 1: Like that? We are could?
Speaker 2: We are fait?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean well we are we are fit this. We're at a situation now where we saw what happened with globalization and automation that sounds like rock Obama right now, but in the eighties, and what that did to huge parts of the country, to entire classes of people. There is we see it coming. It's going to be a different class of people this time, and how do we prepare for that? What can we do? And obviously the real sick irony here is we can't teach them to code, because that's his AI's taken that we have to teach the people to code to do something else. I guess, but there is like this is just a.
Speaker 1: We see it.
Speaker 2: Coming and we should be prepared possumptively. But politically, there's just this massive opportunity and obligation for Democrats. And I really hope that there is a twenty twenty eight candidate or candidates who take a real leadership role here.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's already here the job situation, because even if you're not seeing it in layoffs in a significant way, employment among young people in AI related industries or industries that AI could effect is already down fourteen to twenty percent over the last couple of years. And this is just the beginning. We're just getting going here, and it's going to get so much worse. And I also think that data centers aside, Like there's a whole conversation we had about data centers and everything you said, I agree with there, but the safety of these models, like there has to be regulation on. We can't just say like, oh wow, that one got out of the sandbox. And I really felt that one viscerally, and next time we're going to fix that. Like I mean, ted Lu has an AI kill switch bill, but that he introduced that a bunch of people signed on to that would require developers to have a means of shutting down their models. Of course, the industry doesn't support that for some reason. I think like Foon and Cruise and klobash Aar and can't well are working on in a frontier AI bill. But like so much of this shit is like voluntary regulation and all this kind of stuff, like you cannot have these models go out to market that are this powerful if they're not adequately tested that they're safe. I mean that is like that's more important than anything else, because that's that's that's like lights out for everyone. Anyway, Is there a is there a hopeful way to end this?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: John?
Speaker 1: But also but look, we're all here's the thing, Dan, we're in the singularity now, the thing that Sam Altmon was just talking about, uh, you know, at the lunch table, and now we're here. So that's pretty cool. Yeah, we're in the singularity. The Michigan primaries Tuesday and Wisconsin's the next Tuesday. Things are things are looking up.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think the flaw on Sam Altman's genie argument is do you think they've accounted for the fact that the only smart thing to do if you get a genie with three wishes? Is you ask for unlimited wishes with your first wish?
Speaker 1: I've heard someone else actually make that say that about Ai, that it's the it's unlimited wishes.
Speaker 2: That it's like, Wow, it's not because the fucking tokens are quite expensive. So I think it's that onlimittered, Yeah, give me some freakive, give some tokens in every pot, Sam looking nice?
Speaker 1: Is a jen enough water and electricity to power a small town? Just for being like, hey chat, what should I do tonight? Hey Chat? Why am I feeling sad? That's just that's a whole town right there. Uh, that's our show for today.
Speaker 9: Love.
Speaker 1: It will be back in the feed on Sunday with the Bulwarks Jonathan b Last, Have a good weekend, everyone by everyone Pod Dave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saal Ruben, McKenna Roberts and Faris Safari with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis, Carol pell Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East