Speaker 1: So imagine trying to change the tires on a car while you're driving down the highway at like seventy miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Right, which sounds completely terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, But I mean that is literally what software engineers are expected to do every single.
Speaker 2: Day, oh for sure. Because when you open an app, you know, like WhatsApp, you just expected to work instantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if developers are like deploying these massive software updates to the system right there in the background.
Speaker 2: You don't even notice it.
Speaker 1: Right, So today's deep dive is exploring the hidden engine behind that modern miracle of well always on reliability. We're going to be unpacking excerpts from a really fascinating book called Elixir in Action by Sasha Jurich, published by Manning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and before we really delve into the whole technical architecture side of things, the physical book itself has a couple of charming details I think you're worth.
Speaker 1: Noting, Oh, right, like the dedication exactly.
Speaker 2: The author dedicates the work to his wife, Arnada, which is sweet. But the publisher also chose a very specific piece of cover art.
Speaker 1: Right. It's an illustration, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called a Russian Girl from Thomas Jeffrey's eighteenth Century Trust Collection and Back of the seventeen hundreds. Those illustrations highlighted the incredible diversity of global cultures. Oh wow, so here the publisher is kind of using it as a nod to the vast interconnected ecosystem of computer systems we're about to explore.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I mean to really understand that ecosystem, we kind of need to look at the author's own breaking point. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's set the scene.
Speaker 1: So the year is twenty ten. Jurich is tasked with building a near real time push server. And this isn't like a small weekend project. It needs to handle thousands of connected users simultaneously without dropping a single connection.
Speaker 2: Which is a huge technical challenge totally.
Speaker 1: His company was primarily using Rubyon Rails, which is a very popular web framework. But as he's staring down this incoming wall of concurrent traffic, his CTO suggests he look into a language called erlang.
Speaker 2: And I mean Erling wasn't exactly the first tool a web developer reached for back in twenty ten, No, not at all. But Yurch builds this prototype. He runs the load tests, and the performance in the stability were just so absolute that he ended up rebuilding the entire system in.
Speaker 1: It wow, just scrap the old one pretty much.
Speaker 2: He even started a blog called the Erlangelist just to help other object oriented programmers wrap their heads around this strange yet really powerful tool.
Speaker 1: Right, and to see why Erling was such a revelation for him, we actually have to travel way back to the mid nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time travel.
Speaker 1: Erline was created by a team at Ericsson led by the legendary software engineer Joe Armstrong, and Ericson is a Swedish telecom giant. They built Erlang specifically to run their massive telephone network switches.
Speaker 2: Right, And you might be sitting there wondering, well, why should you care about a programming language built for nineteen eighties landline phones?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, sounds pretty obsolete.
Speaker 2: But it comes down to the fund mental requirement of telecom, which is zero downtime. Ah right, Because in the eighties and nineties, if consumer desktop software crashed, I mean it was annoying, but it only affected one person.
Speaker 1: Just reboot your computer in your front exactly.
Speaker 2: A telecom network, however, had to be highly available fault tolerant and scalable without ever turning the machine off.
Speaker 1: Because you couldn't drop thousands of active phone calls just because a hardware component failed, or like an engineer uploaded new.
Speaker 2: Code exactly and fast forward to today, Suddenly everything you use has those exact same telecom level requirements.
Speaker 1: Cloud deployment platforms, massive multiplayer online games, social networks, all of it. Yeah, these are the modern equivalent of the global telephone grid. I mean, consider that when WhatsApp was acquired, they had hundreds of millions of users, but only about fifty engineers keeping the entire system.
Speaker 2: Running, which is mind blowing, right.
Speaker 1: And they achieved that impossible leverage because their system was built on the core DNA of.
Speaker 2: Erlink and that survival mechanism. It really comes down to Erlang's completely unique take on concurrency.
Speaker 1: Basically how computer juggles multiple tasks at once.
Speaker 2: Right there, because it doesn't rely on the heavyweight spreads and processes provided by your computer's operating system like Mac or Windows or Linux. Instead, it runs inside its own isolated virtual machine called the beam.
Speaker 1: Right, the beam that stands for a Bogden or Bjorn's erlaying abstract machine named after its creators obviously naturally, and instead of relying on the operating system, the beam just reinvents concurrency using its own incredibly lightweight processes. We aren't talking about a server handling a few hundred tasks here, no, not at all. A single Beam system can comfortably run thousands or even millions of these tiny processes at the exact same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the book describes this as a shared nothing architecture because in traditional operating system threads, concurrent programming is incredibly difficult since process is share the same memory space.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's picture traditional shared state concurrency as like a chaotic group project in a single conference room.
Speaker 2: I've been in a few of those, right.
Speaker 1: Everyone is fighting over the same single whiteboard to write down their ideas. That whiteboard is the shared.
Speaker 2: Memory, right, which creates constant bottlenecks because people are awaiting their.
Speaker 1: Turn exactly, and to keep them from talking over each other, developers have to write these complex locking mechanisms into the code.
Speaker 2: Oh and if someone accidentally knocks a whiteboard over.
Speaker 1: The entire project crashes. Everyone goes down, Yeah, which is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: But the Erlang process is on the Beam. They operate in a completely different reality. Ow So instead of one chaotic conference room, imagine you have a million remote workers. Okay, every single worker is sitting in their own, locked, isolated room with their own private whiteboard. They share absolutely nothing with each other.
Speaker 1: So how do they even talk?
Speaker 2: Well, if they need to coordinate, the only way they can communicate is by sliding little notes under the door, which Erlane calls asynchronous messages.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. And because they share no memory, the first massive benefit of that is fault tolerance.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: If one worker in their isolated room rates bad code and suddenly bursts into flames, which you know is a software crash, doesn't affect anyone else, Right, The.
Speaker 2: Fire cannot spread to the shared whiteboard because there is no shared whiteboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the system just sweeps out the ashes, places a brand new worker in the room, and the rest of the system literally doesn't even blink.
Speaker 2: And that isolation also solves the problem of resource hawking.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a big one, right.
Speaker 2: Because you might ask, well, what happens if a worker doesn't crash but just get stuck trying to solve some massively heavy mathematical equation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does the rest of the system freeze up waiting for them to finish. Well.
Speaker 2: In standard systems, yeah, a heavy task can easily choke the central processor, yeah, and cause the whole app to become unresponsive for everyone else.
Speaker 1: But the beam has a preemptive scheduler, right, which acts like a highly strict manager walking the halls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the way this manager works is actually fascinating. Doesn't track time on a clock, yeah you know, it tracks reduction reduction, right, which is essentially counting the number of function calls a worker makes. Once a worker hits a specific limit, say two thousand function calls the walk, the manager forces them to pause, saves their exact state, and moves on to the next worker.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So by counting operations rather than milliseconds, the scheduler ensures total fairness exactly. Even if a worker is doing the heaviest database crunching imaginable, they are forcibly paused when their turn is up. The manager just keeps the line moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, meaning your simple web request never gets stuck behind someone else's massive data download. The system just remains remarkably responsive under intense pressure.
Speaker 1: And because these isolated workers aren't sharing that central whiteboard, it solves another massive headache for developers, which is cleaning up memory.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, garbage collection.
Speaker 1: Right. In standard systems, when the computer needs to sweep up unused data, it often has to pause the entire system to safely clear the shared.
Speaker 2: Memory, and for you, the user, that looks like a frozen screen or you know that infinite buffering wheel the worse.
Speaker 1: But in Erlang, garbage collection happens individually per process. One remote worker just takes out their own tiny trash can in their own isolated.
Speaker 2: Room, while the other nine hundred and ninety nine thousand workers just keep typing away.
Speaker 1: Right. There are never any massive system wide pauses that degrade the user experience, and.
Speaker 2: This total isolation fundamentally changes how developers build entire server architectures. How So, the book actually gives a real life comparison of two web servers to highlight this. So server A represents a standard modern setup. It's a patchwork quilt of different specialized technologies.
Speaker 1: So you might have one piece of software answering the web praffic, a completely different language processing the business logic.
Speaker 2: Right, and an external memory database holding onto users shopping carts, plus a separate scheduling tool running background jobs at midnight.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, the author affectionately calls this the server side zoo.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You have all these different animals, all these independent moving parts loosely tied together with network cables to build one application.
Speaker 1: And if any one of those independent pieces fails or loses connection, the whole house of cards basically it comes down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fragile, but sir B, on the other hand, handles the web traffic, the business logic, the temporary user states, and the background jobs using only early just one language. Yeah. It relies on a battle tested framework build directly into the language called OTP or Open Telecom Platform.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. OTP provides standardized templates like something called a gen server, which stands for Generic Server. A gen server handles all the complex logic of how processes should communicate, how they should store data safely, and exactly how they should be restarted.
Speaker 1: If they crash, and the developer doesn't have to reinvent the wheel every time.
Speaker 2: Right. It allows you to build a highly available, cohibited system entirely inside a single technology stack running on a single machine.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me push back on this monolith approach, though, sure, because as someone who builds systems, relying on a jack of all trades tool for everything usually ends in disaster.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: I mean a Swiss army knife is great for a camping trip, but you wouldn't use the tiny sawblade to build house, right. Shouldn't developers use specialized external tools for things like caching or background processing because those tools have spent years perfecting that one specific job.
Speaker 2: Is a very valid criticism, honestly, But the key distinction here is that erlank isn't forcing you into a closed box.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not.
Speaker 2: No, It's completely capable of talking to external databases or message cues when you need them. If you require raw speed for a highly specific task like heavy image processing, erlang allows you to run fast c code natively alongside it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Interesting.
Speaker 2: What erling provides is the option of a homogeneous system from day one.
Speaker 1: So you aren't forced to manage the whole zoo when you're just starting.
Speaker 2: Out precisely, I mean, in the early days of a startup or for small engineering teams, Deploying and maintaining five different databases and languages across multiple servers is an operational light.
Speaker 1: It just too much overhead.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Erling lets a tiny team build a massive, robust system out of the box. You only bolt on those specialized external tools when you truly hit the limits of what the bean can do, which takes a very, very long time.
Speaker 1: Well, if erlang is this indestructible supertool, it raises an obvious question. I think, why did anyone feel the need to invent alixer. I mean, why isn't every developer on Earth just writing raw arline code right now?
Speaker 2: Well, the answer comes down to the simple act of typing it out. Yeah. Erling was designed in the nineteen eighties, and its syntax really reflects that era. It is notoriously dense, highly repetitive, and frankly kind of jarring to modern programmers.
Speaker 1: Right. It's the classic critique of the language. It makes the hardest problems in computer science, like distributed concurrency fault tolerance look incredibly easy, but it makes simple things like defining a basic module or adding numbers together bizarrely hard and verbose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then the author discovered Elixer around its zero point eight release.
Speaker 1: Right. Elixer was created by a developer named Jose Valim.
Speaker 2: And Jurige realized immediately that Elixir was the perfect bridge, because the magic of Elixir is that it compiles down to the exact same beam bytecode as Erlang.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so you don't lose a single drop of Erlang's performance or its twenty four to seven reliability.
Speaker 2: Nope, you are still driving the exact same, indestructible nineteen eighties telecom engine. Elixer just replaces the rusty dashboard with the sleek, modern, developer friendly interface.
Speaker 1: And it aggressively fixes Erlang's boilerplate problem. The book highlights a really specific.
Speaker 2: Example, right the addition one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you want to write a tiny server process in Erlang, whose only job is to add two numbers together. Doing this requires typing out a massive, noisy block of boilerplate code just to set up the process is so tedious. Yeah, The structure is so tedious that veteran programmers don't even type it out. They literally copy and paste it from older projects just to get to the one line of code that actually does the math, which.
Speaker 2: Creates totally unnecessary cognitive load for the developer. But Elixer shrinks this dramatically.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The author actually built a custom Elixer library called exactor. To prove this exact point, he took that massive, ugly block of Erling boilerplate and used Elixer to trink it down to just a couple of lines of beautiful readable code.
Speaker 2: Which is awesome. And the mechanism Elixer uses to achieve this shrinkage is its secret weapon macros.
Speaker 1: Now, when people hear the word macro, they often think of older languages like see where a macro is essentially a glorified find and replace.
Speaker 2: Right, It just looks for a string of text and swaps it out for another string of text before the program runs.
Speaker 1: But Elixer macros are far more intelligent, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Elixir macros operate on what is called the abstracts and tax tree, or the AST.
Speaker 1: Okay, to put that in plain English, think back to grade school when you had to diagram a sentence. You didn't just read the words. You mapped out the noun, the verb, and the subject exactly.
Speaker 2: And the AST does that for code. The macro isn't just looking at the letters you typed. It understands the actual grammar and structural logic of your program at compile time.
Speaker 1: Wow. And this deep structural understanding allows developers to write code that writes other code. You can flesh out all that repetitive boilerplate before the program even runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it empowers developers to create tools that feel like native parts of the Elixer language itself.
Speaker 1: A great example from the book is the Ecto project, which basically helps Elixer talk to databases.
Speaker 2: Right in many languages, if you want to pull user data from a database, you have to write raw, clucky SQL database strings right in the middle of your clean application code. It's so ugly it is, but Ecto uses macros to let developers write database queries that look and behave exactly like native Elixer code. It feels completely seamless.
Speaker 1: And that seamlessness carries over into how you string ideas together too. Elixer fundamentally changes the flow of data with something called the pipeline operator yes.
Speaker 2: Which is a huge shift from Erling because in Erlang, if you want to pass a piece of data through a series of transformations, you have to use a technique called staircasing.
Speaker 1: Right, you take the raw data, pass it to the first function, and you have to invent a temporary name for the result like data one. Then you pass data one into the second function and save the result as data too.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting. It forces the developer to read the code inside out, you know, navigating a cluttered mess of temporary variables just to track how the data is changing.
Speaker 1: I like to think of arline staircasing as like a clumsy bucket brigade where people are splashing water everywhere and fumbling the hand off. That's a great visual, Whereas Elixer's pipeline operator is a perfectly calibrated factory conveyor belt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The operator literally looks like a simple little arrow made of a vertical line and a greater than oh cool. And the pipeline operator takes the result of one function and feeds it directly into the next function. As the very first argument.
Speaker 1: So you drop the raw material at the start of the belt and it glides seamlessly through machine A straight into machine B, thraight into machine C. It removes all the temporary variables and leaves you with pure logic. You read the code exactly as a human thinks. Take this data, transform it here, filter it there, and save it.
Speaker 2: It really creates a state of flow for the developer which translates to fewer bugs and faster future development.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have this bulletproof nineteen eighties telecom engine in the beam, ensuring the system never crashes. We have this beautiful modern dashboard and Elixir with intelligent macros and conveyor belts making the developers happy. Sounds perfect, right, almost too perfect. Every technology has trade offs. The most prominent catch here is raw speed for specific types of heavy math, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. If you put erlang or elixer in a synthetic benchmark race against a low level language like C or C plus plus to see who can crunch a massive complex mathematical algorithm, the fastest C will win easily.
Speaker 1: But the beam wasn't really built for that kind of raw speed anyway.
Speaker 2: No, the goal is predictability. I mean, if a C server gets hit with a massive, crushing wave of traffic, it might process the first few requests incredibly fast, but then it could freeze entirely or crash, leaving thousands of users completely locked out.
Speaker 1: Whereas earling is designed to degrade gracefully exactly so under heavy load, the app might take an extra second to load a message, but the message will absolutely load the system stays alive.
Speaker 2: That is the ultimate trade off. If you are building a heavy video encoding platform or a three D rendering engine, where raw mathematical speed is the only metric that matters, you shouldn't write it in an Elixir. You would write that highly specific component in a lower level language and let Elixer act as the manager, handling the network traffic and keeping the server stable.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense. Now. The second catch the author par points out is the size of the ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Back when this book was written in twenty fifteen, if you looked on GitHub, there were over six hundred thousand code repositories for Ruby. For Erlang there were about eleven thousand, and for Elixer just two thousand.
Speaker 2: It is a much smaller pond, for sure. Yeah, and while the ecosystem has grown significantly since the book's publication, you still might not find a pre built plug and play library for every obscure third party service you want to connect to. You might have to write that integration yourself.
Speaker 1: Right, You're paving your own road sometimes a bid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the author makes a point to note that the Elixir community is exceptionally welcoming and supportive.
Speaker 1: Well bringing this all together for you. What we've explored today is really a brilliant marriage of two different eras of computing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: On one hand, you have Erlang and the Beam, a battle tested, fault tolerant engine designed to keep the nineteen eighties phone grid alive through anything.
Speaker 2: And on the other hand, you have alixer, a modern boilerplate free interface that makes writing code a joy.
Speaker 1: Combined, they give small engineering teams incredible leverage. They can build massive, reliable Internet services that handle millions of users, instantly, isolate errors, and deploy complex updates on a single machine without relying on a fragile zoo of different technology.
Speaker 2: To incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But there's one final concept from the book that steps outside the realm of code entirely, and I think it's something really worth mulling over.
Speaker 2: Ah yah.
Speaker 1: Throughout this deep dive, we've explored Erlang's core philosophy of isolation. When a process crashes, it's trapped in its own room, the fire doesn't spread, and the rest of the system survives.
Speaker 2: Right, which is known as the let it crash philosophy.
Speaker 1: Let it crash.
Speaker 2: I love that it embraces the reality of failure rather than fighting a losing battle against it.
Speaker 1: And in most traditional software, and honestly, in most traditional human systems, we obsess over making everything fail safe.
Speaker 2: We do. We try to prevent every possible error right.
Speaker 1: We micromanage every detail operating under the asumption that if one tiny component goes wrong, the whole company or the whole project will collapse. But Erlang proves that perfect prevention is a myth.
Speaker 2: Instead, it is designed to be safe to fail exactly.
Speaker 1: It accepts that things will break, and it optimizes for rapid recovery instead of impossible perfection.
Speaker 2: Fail Safe is about preventing the crash. Safe to fail is about surviving it.
Speaker 1: So what if we implied this isolation philosophy to human systems. What if in our corporate organizations, our team management, or even how we handle our own personal missteps, we just stop trying to be flawless.
Speaker 2: It would take a lot of pressure off.
Speaker 1: It really would. What if we built boundaries that allowed us to say, let it crash, knowing that the overall system or our own resilience is strong enough to sweep up the ashes, learn from the air, and keep the line moving.
Speaker 2: That's a great perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely something to think about the next time you open a massive app on your phone and miraculously it just works. Thanks for joining us on this d DVE