Speaker 1: Welcome contract number Thursday, the eleventh of September, September, eleventh year of Our Lord, twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. So well, I want to split this into two programs. Today we've got a lot of updates about the hunt for the killer of Charlie Kirk, so I want to I'll start with that, that's the freshest news. And then, of course it's also September eleventh, twenty four years after we were attacked by al Qaeda, and I didn't have a replay of a lot of what happened on that day that I want to play for you. General Keene his observations about what was going on Zen and I don't want.
Speaker 2: To be.
Speaker 1: Overlooking there was in the middle of all of this. Yesterday there was a shooting at a high school in the Denver area, and that they're saying that the high school shooter was radicalized by some extremist networks. Is sixteen year old student who opened fire at his Colorado high school, wounding two classmates then turning the gun on himself, and the sheriff there says he was radicalized by some extremist network. Gunfire was at Evergreen High school broke out around lunchtime yesterday. Three students taken to the hospital in critical condition following the gunfire. And then, of course he did what most of these people do, he killed himself. So has another school shooting, and it got over well, you didn't hear about it yesterday because of the breaking news about Charlie Kirk. But I do want to start with let me start with this. There's a White House reporter, Elena Tree is her name, and she brought up how this is the shooting of Charlie Kirk. The killing of Charlie Kirk is affecting the White House here she is.
Speaker 3: I mean, this isn't just political. For really the majority of the people in the President's in her circle, of those who sit near the Oval office in the West Wing, this is deeply personal. They all had very close relationships with Charlie Kirk. He wasn't just someone you know that they welcomed in to the White House at times or helped him on the campaign trail. A lot of people here had very, very deep close relationships with him. Even the President, some of our sources are telling us, kind of viewed him like a family member. I'd pointed to some of the emotional posts we've now seen from high ranking people in kind of Trump's inner circle. You look at the Vice President JD. Vance. He shared a one thousand word eulogy really on x just before midnight at length describing his deep close relationship with Charlie Kirk and the history that those two men shared. We also saw another emotional post from Donald Trump Junior, the President's son, describing Kirk as someone who was like a brother to him. So again, this isn't just about the political nature of this. The people in this building behind me, and the people who were the closest to the president really viewed him within that small group of loyalists, someone who had a direct line to the president, someone they believed, even when they disagreed with, had the best interests of really the movement at hand. And so there's been a lot of shock, a lot of kind of disbelief in the building behind me. I know yesterday a lot of my sources, a lot of White House officials were watching the TVs kind of glued to the screen trying to get any sort of update on this. And then you know, we also did hear from the President. He shared a video on social media it's over four minutes honoring Charlie Kirk, but he also laid out potential next steps regarding how we could potentially see this White House and the broader Trump administration try to respond.
Speaker 1: So her point is clearer that it is much more than just another shooting. It is much more than a political event. This is personal for a lot of people at the White House and a lot of people in the media that knew Charlotte. Charlie Kirk was amazing. He really put together a very influential group in a very short period of time. And here's a little clip of him from just a couple of weeks ago talking about he had big plans for this thing to grow even bigger.
Speaker 4: What we have brought into the political space is that we have made conservatism not just cool again, not just attractive again, but it's appealing. People want to join it, they want to be part of it. And this is one of the major reasons why President Donald Trump was able to win the youth vote in Michigan. He was able to win the youth vote in Arizona, my home state. President Trump did what was unthinkable thirteen years ago. I mean, we've known each other for a while here, I mean to think a decade ago that a Republican running for the presidency would be winning the youth vote. It's just an incomprehensible concept. And so we here at Turning Point, USA. We're going to these college campuses. Our crowds are growing, our support is increasing, and the data and the statistics bear that out as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, the crowds were growing. He had somewhere around three thousand people at this university in Orum, Utah. So he I mean, he talks about how a president Trump was able to win a youth vote. A lot of it was because of what he did and how amazing it was that what he was able to accomplish in his short life. Former FBI Special Agent Stuart Kaplan was asked about the search for the killer.
Speaker 5: Law enforcement is quite frankly scrambling right now to work backwards and try to identify first how this person gained access onto that rooftop. But what they do know, and I think their biggest concern, is this was a targeted attack.
Speaker 6: The target was Charlie Kurt.
Speaker 5: This same individual had the opportunity to inflict other mass casualties, but this person chose to maintain his or her discipline, they got up, they took the shot, and then they got out of there. That indicates that there was a survey prior to yesterday with this individual had the lay of the land to understand how to get onto this rooftop and then had to very quietly escape undetected. At this point, that is a very difficult task for the FBI and other law enforcement partners to work through to try to get some indication of who this person may be. Well, there's a lot of information that I'm sure that the FBI has. For a way of example, we don't know whether or not the shooter left the weapon behind. We don't know whether or not a shellcasing the one bullet was discharged from the rifle. Was it a bolt action. If it was a bolt action, that means someone manually would have to discharge or reject that shellcasing. Did they collect the shellcasing? Have they sent it for fingerprint analysis or DNA analysis? Now that can be turned around in a very short period of time. That hasn't been disclosed to us with respect to the weapon, the shellcasing, And of course today you're going to see an attempt to try to locate the bullet itself. Because the bullet obviously went through Charlley Kurt, it has to end up impaled somewhere. They're going to try to locate that. They're going to try to work backwards. You're going to see them out on this venue with lasers to try to set up some sort of forensic trajectory to see exactly how this person was perched and try to then identify a profile. Was there any active threat against Charlie Kirk that quite frankly is not known to the public, and try to nail down if there were individuals that may be out there that they're aware of. When you take a look at the altitude or the elevation of the way Charlie Kirk was seated, he had a tent over him, and so when you back up let's say four hundred and fifty feet five hundred feet six hundred feet, that shot becomes more and more difficult because you're looking down at that target. That is why I believe it wasn't quote unquote a headshot. It was taken at the upper torso because the line of site only exposed Charlie Kurt's upper torso area or the neck area. I think if the tent wasn't concealing Charlie Kirk's head, quite frankly, you would have seen this as a headshot. There is a degree of expertise. There is no doubt in my mind this person is to some extent a professional. This was a professional hit by all accounts, especially by the fact that he had an opportunity to discharge that weapon multiple times randomly, but he chose to stay on target.
Speaker 1: So some more details I'll play for you here in just a minute came out today and I thought this was maybe a hit man because it was right at a kill spot, right in Charlie Kirk's neck, and it was so far away, at least two hundred yards away, and it was a high powered rifle turned out to be a thirty odd six. But out of all of this, it comes down to I'm thinking this must be a local person who would know. I mean, I heard Charlie Kirk last weekend talk about the fact that he was starting his fall tour of various college campuses. He said this Wednesday, which was yesterday, and that he was going to be in Utah on Wednesday kicking off the fall tour. I think there's fifteen colleges he had on the plans for the tour during this fall season. So I don't know how could you go and find out where he was going to be and know how to get up on that building and know it Just seems like it's got to be somebody that was local and had an ax to grind with Charlie Kirk. I pulled a couple of clips from They had a news conference earlier today the Utah Commissioner of Public Safety and the Salt Lake City FBI Agent in charge. Here's a comments from the Utah public Safety guy.
Speaker 6: Through all that work last night, we were able to make a few breakthroughs. We were able to track the movements of the shooter starting at eleven fifty two am. This subject arrived on campus shortly away from campus. We have tracked his movements onto the campus through the stairwells up to the roof, across the roof to a shooting location. After the shooting, we were able to track his movements as he moved to the other side of the building, jumped off of the building, and fled off of the campus and into a neighborhood. Our investigators have worked through those neighborhoods, contacting anybody they can with doorbell cameras, witnesses, and have thoroughly worked through those communities trying to identify any leads. We do have good video footage of this individual. We are not going to release that at this time. We were working through some technologies and some ways to identify this individual. If we are unsuccessful, we will reach out to you as the media and we will push that publicly to help us identify them. But we were confident in our abilities right now, and we would like to move forward in a manner that keeps everyone safe and moves this process appropriately.
Speaker 1: Oh, it sounds like they have a lot more than I certainly thought. They've got video of the guy they know when he arrived twenty minutes before Charlie Kirk started, which also says something about he really knew about this this location in orm Utah. But they and they have today released a couple of photos of the guy somebody. This is where you know. They say they're going back and using AI and doing all this stuff to take his photo and run it through a zillion Facebook photos or whatever they use. And they came Obviously they didn't come up with anything. So this is a young guy that did the shooting, or is the one they suspected the shot and so he maybe doesn't have many photos out there and he probably doesn't have a wrap sheet that never been in prison. So all that's going to come up with nothing. So when they turned to the public, it is because they came up with nothing, and they're hoping somebody somewhere says, oh, I know who that is. Here's the other gentleman at the news conference today was the head of the Salt Lake City office of the FBI.
Speaker 7: This morning, I can tell you that we have recovered what we believe is the weapon that was used in yesterday's shooting. It is a high powered bolt action rifle. That rifle was recovered in a wooded area where the shooter had fled, So the FBI laboratory will be analyzing with this weapon. Investigators have also collected footwear impression, a palm print, and forearm imprints for analysis. How I understand there are a lot of questions about motive. I assure you that all leads, tips and tips are being fully investigated. As if this morning, we received more than one hundred and thirty tips. We think the community for that. The FBI has brought every resource to bear. Well, we will relentlessly pursue this case and the shooter until we find it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a matter of a very short matter of time before they actually find this guy. But I mean they have photos of him, they have video of him. He has a hat on with sunglasses. But other than that, if you know him, you're gonna know that so and so. That's a question of whether his friends will turn him in people that know him. The other part behind this is they've got a palm print, they've got a forearm print, they've got footprints, they've got the rifle. It's just at this point it seems like it's just a very short I would be very surprised if this guy was still on the loose here in another week. Now. It takes time sometimes. I mean, you look at the four college kids that were stabbed to death in Idaho. It took them five weeks before they found Brian Koberger and they had the DNA, so it still can take some time. And Luigi that shot and killed the United Healthcare executive here in New York City, he was on the lamb for five days, so it may take a little more time, but I would think that they are pretty close to wherever this guy is in hiding. We played just a little bit more of the two law enforcement officers took a couple of questions from the media. I'll plan for you.
Speaker 6: So we I'll release about the suspect. Is suspect blended in well with a college institution, and we're not releasing many detail right now, and then we will soon, but right now we're not. But that individual appears to be of college age. We are confident in our abilities to track that individual. If we're unsuccessful in identifying them immediately, we will reach out for the public's help and the media's help. And pushing those photos. That was a new development overnight, working through the night studying those cameras. So that's that's something that's new and that we're working true right now. As far as the security, I cannot speak to that. Neither the Department of Public Safety nor the Federal Bureau of Investigation was involved in the planning or security of this event, and that'll have to be a question later for other agencies.
Speaker 7: So that's a good question, and it's a question that goes to the safety of the community right, No, not in those woods. We've walked through through those woods and secured it. As to the community, I can tell you that this was a targeted event. We don't believe that the community.
Speaker 6: Is at risk.
Speaker 7: However, we are exhausting every resource to find him and we will be a song college age.
Speaker 6: Do you believe he was from this university?
Speaker 7: And how far do you think he may have gone? In miss heimesht So I can't comment specifically on his face or any details such as that as it's continuing to be a part of the investigation, and again we'll release that shortly. However, we're doing everything we can to find him and we're not sure how far he has gone yet.
Speaker 8: But will.
Speaker 1: This reminds me a lot about the hunt they had for Luigi Maggioni. Young guys, they don't have a rap sheet, they don't have a record, they're not in a lot of databases anywhere, so it's it may take a few days before they find out where he is. But the photo is out there. If you go online, you'll see the photo and if you know who he is, you'll recognize him immediately. I'm sure. Another former FBI agent, Robin Draekes talking about this case today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a lot of good data that we're getting out of this. And at the early on set, people were thinking this was a professional hit, and professional had a different connotation to me. I thought it was a skilled shot. But professionals don't do this, and so luckily he's made a lot of missteps and as indicated in this press conference, he left a data trail of evidence that.
Speaker 6: They're able to zero in on Hi pretty quickly.
Speaker 9: I think, yeah, so professionals, if this individual was actually truly trying to just kill Charlie Kirk, this is not the way to do it because this is in a public venue, leaving a lot of footprints on the ground, leaving a weapon in the woods, not having a clear escape plan, which people thought he did, And so that's not a professional level, like at the higher levels that you're kind of thinking, like in the movies, this is a skilled shot, but an unskilled individual at being an assassin. There's two things here. One, you have the videos of the individual that they can backtrack and do a match on and see those egress and ingress points. That's whereas more people with videos of him to see if you can track him to a car license plate and also start doing triangulation, which is going to take a little time of cell phone data. The other thing with the weapon that they have, the likelihood of them having DNA is very very high. Let's just look at the Coburger case. They are able to use trace DNA to actually do a genealogy search. It takes a little bit of time, but this is with family members that didn't even put themselves into the genealogy system. So I think they're coming at it from two angles and be coming at from the technology of looking cell phone tracking data for this area that something's going to stand out, so they can rule out people that actually live in that area. Since you've flewed into the woods, possibly vehicle traffic as well as DNA traffic. And so what they're looking for is they're going to have it, they just don't have it quite yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all very g whizz technology that they're going to be using, but it does take I mean, genealogy DNA is going to take a few days at the very least, maybe a week or two. And as far as if they have a palm print and a footprint and a forearm print, I would imagine that he left some DNA. So as a young guy, maybe he's not all that smart. I mean, the one thing about Brian Kolberger, he had a master's degree in criminology, so he studied all this way, the ways in which law enforcement can find people. But this guy, well, we'll find out. But I got the feeling that he's made a lot of mistakes. But they're going to it's going to take a few days to do the do the technical investigation before they can come up with a name. Trey Goudi, former prosecutor, also observations from him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think the police did the right thing. They give no information that jeopardized the ultimate goal, which is a conviction. I mean, you have to make the arrest, but the ultimate goal is for this person to be convicted. So you got to be careful what you release. What the police essentially want is give us all the video you may have, give us any tip, any tip that you may have. I think they images of the suspect are not the same as images of the face of the suspect, and prints are only good if you have someone to compare them or match them with. I think they are going to apprehend the killer. But the goal again is to get a conviction. It is not simply to generate a headline or have a good press conference. This ends in front of a jury or with a guilty plead. The only other thing I would add is as painful as it is, people have to watch the video from yesterday, and while they're watching it, and they're going to want to turn their heads away. But you need to imagine this as a husband and a father and a friend, not someone politically that you may happen to disagree with. This video is so jarring to watch. The problem is it really happened, and it happened in the greatest country in the world, and so we got to have a conversation about how much of this we're willing to put up with. So watch what happened to him. He is killed in an instant, and an instant from two hundred yards for what reason, because you happened to disagree with his political belief Make yourself watch it and realize this is a husband and a father, not just some political person with whom you may happen to disagree.
Speaker 1: It brings up the topic about do you watch the video? It's out there it's very violent, very violent. But what Trey's trying to make the point of and it's ironic that it is today nine to eleven, they stop showing the airplanes flying into the buildings except for today, just today, you can see the old videos of the planes flying into the World Trade Center, And no we don't have video, Shanks film and the Pentagon was a blur of just an explosion. But the point is is that the networks have decided that it's too sensitive to show the planes flying into the buildings. There's another whole group out there to which I belong, which says you have to know about the evil that people are willing to do and how far they're willing to go. One of the one of the murders that you have seen the details in over and over, in granular detail, is the Zabruder film of showing John F. Kennedy getting shot in the motorcade in Dallas. They have how many times have you seen that where they they show the frame by frame and the bullet hits his head in capow. I don't know if it's that shocking to people. The president of the United States was killed, and yet this is also in a different way. It is violent because it shows the bullet, it shows that the hit on Charlie, and it's just gruesome. So I don't I don't know. I get what Trey wants you to come away with is you need to see how demented people are to take somebody else's life over some political disagreement. Karl Rove gets into this as well.
Speaker 2: I was taken by the expressions, let's think about it. This young man was a conservative and Republican, and every living president, Democrat and Republican spoke with with with a sorrow about his death. I was taken by Recently, he appeared on a podcast with Gavin Newsom talking about two different people with different views and yet they found a common forum in which they could exchange their ideas. And I was taken by Governor Newsom's comments after the assassination. Same with the leadership of Hakim Jeffries in the House and Chuck Schumer in the Senate. The President of the United States loved Charlie Kirk and Charlie Cook loved Donald Trump, and Donald Trump can express that love by being the person in this moment who can draw us together in sorrow and in grief. Over the death of this young man. This is a moment I think you're absolutely right, where as a country we could come together where it is a remarkable story. You're right, starts at nineteen says I'm not going to go to college because I want to start a movement. I love my country, I love its constitution. I believe in the freedom and the liberty that was promised to us under the Declaration. And I want to energize my fellow young Americahricans to protect that dream. And in thirteen short years he rose like a rocket. And what was most interesting was his willingness to engage. I mean, it was like, prove me wrong. He said, come, come, come, and let's talk on a college campus, not exactly a home territory, if you will, for conservatives, come and let's engage in a dialogue. Let's debate. And this belief in the essence of American democracy was probably one of the most remarkable things about him. And yeah, you're right. He had a brilliant life ahead of him. He had a bright, shining period of thirteen short years in which he made a big difference on behalf of the things he believed in. And his death is a sad commentary on the wave of violence that we are that we are experiencing as a country. He was killed in June. We saw a Democrat state representative in Minnesota and her husband killed. In May, two young Israeli staffers walking down a street in Washington, d C. In April, the governor of Pennsylvania's family, it wakes up to realize their house has been set afire, and not too not many blocks away from two or three blocks away from where you're sitting. In New York last year, the CEO of the United Healthcare was killed. Donald Trump, the former president of the United States and candidate again for the presidency, is the subject of two assassination attempts, one which the entire country saw in that terrible moment in Butler, Pennsylvania. And you go back in recent years, the attack on Paul Pelosi, the attack on the US Capitol, the gunman who attempted to kill Republican members practicing for the congressional baseball game. I mean, in twenty seventeen, Congressman Scalise, Steve Scalise nearly died. And what is wrong with our country that people think that a resolution to violence is either their way to gain notoriety and a social media culture, or to somehow, you know, achieve a political goal by killing a political enemy. And the death of this young man, the new father, two young children. It's just a terrible moment in our nation. And I hope it shocks us into realizing that we're all Americans and that we are worthy of discussion and debate and disagreement if need be. But we're all Americans, and this is not what our country should be, should should have to experience.
Speaker 1: I think about this sometimes about because I've been on this planet long enough to remember the sixties, and a lot of people have been saying, and I have too in the past, all the sixties were much worse than what we have today. But I don't know, we're starting to close in. I mean, the sixties started off with the killing of John F. Kennedy, our president, and then we had the killing of Martin Luther King Jr. We had the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. Throw into the middle of the sixties, you've got a very unpopular war, the Vietnam War, So you've got protests in the streets, tons of protesting in the streets, and in the mid sixties, you had you broke had in major cities around the country race riots over to the civil rights movement, and so it was. It was turbulent and deadly, and a lot of people died, including a lot of high level politicians in the sixties. But here we are, and you've heard carl going through some of them. I mean, you've got the president twice as somebody tried to assassinate him, and the fact that that bullet came literally touched his ear was maybe, I mean just an inch further away from where Charlie Kirk was at. But you got a Ryan Thompson, the United Healthcare executive, was shot, the Jewish Museum couple that was out for the evening, or shot on the streets of Washington, Paul Pelosi. You've got Governor Shapiro whose family is sound asleep and somebody sets the house on fire trying to kill him. You got the legislator and her husband in Minnesota that were killed. So we do have a lot of violence. And I don't know if we're just in a recurring wave of violence like we were in the sixties, but it's clearly growing again. There's no question about it. So listen, I want to break this into two podcasts today because today is the twenty fourth anniversary of nine to eleven. So I'm going to do a part two where we look back on nine to eleven of two thousand and one, and I'll do that in a separate podcast here and post it right after we post this one. We did have some big economic news today. The consumer price index inflation at your pocket book pocketbook level in mind two point nine percent. That is higher than it was last month. First time jobless claims jumped to the highest we've seen in years, two hundred and sixty three thousand first time job was claims last week. So this is pointing two messages, absolutely, two messages about whether or not. I mean, if you're the Fed and you see inflation starting to get higher and higher, you'll want to raise interest rates, not lower them, to try to cool the economy off. But at the same time, they're very worried after getting the benchmark revision on jobs nine hundred and eleven thousand jobs overstated, and so they see a labor market this week, they see inflation that's growing. So we'll see what the Fed does when they meet next Tuesday and Wednesday. We find out on Wednesday. Meantime, the market was enthused about all of this, the Dow new record up six hundred and seventeen to close a forty six thousand and one oh eight, the S and P up fifty five, the Nasdaq up one hundred and fifty seven. Price of gold fell eight bucks down to thirty six seventy three, and oil down a buck and a half sixty two dollars for a barrel of oil today, Thank you for coming by. Part two, basically focusing on the anniversary of nine to eleven, is also up on the boards there today. Thank you for coming by today, and we'll see you again, hopefully tomorrow,