Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI.
Speaker 2: I Am six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, Neil Savandra in four Bill Handle this morning. Wayne will return on Monday as Bill is on vacation. Happy to be here with you on a foody Friday. That seems fitting, doesn't it. I will be with you tomorrow as I am every Saturday with the Four Reports starting at two to two five Tomorrow. We're out at the Oh gosh, we're gonna be at the Manhattan Beach Food.
Speaker 1: And Wine Festival.
Speaker 3: That's pretty awesome, right, All kinds of amazing chefs out there, great packages to go enjoy yourself. If there are tickets left, you can check out at m bfoodan Wine dot com MB Food and Wine dot com for the Manhattan Beach Food and Wine Festival. A lot of really cool things going out there, all right. Floridians are, of course picking up the pieces after Milton made landfall. Dangerous category three hurricane cut through the state as a Category one storm before moving offshore. Keep in mind, we still have folks in Georgia in parts of Georgia with power outages. Was hearing from some of them. Yesterday on our talkback features, saying that they are still battling with power outages. Nothing is being done in their eyes at some points there. Why is this important? Well, a couple things. They're fellow Americans that are sitting there dealing with all of this crazy weather. But also if people are looking to move out of Florida or get away, they're most likely going to be hitting into Georgia.
Speaker 1: And you know, Georgia is still.
Speaker 3: Having its own issues as well dealing with all that. So, deaths from Helene nationwide have reached at least two hundred and twenty seven people, according to reports from CNN and the Associated Press. That makes Helene the second deadliest hurricane in the US this century. In North Carolina, officials say one hundred and twenty people are confirmed dead.
Speaker 1: Thus far.
Speaker 3: Sad thing about these numbers are always expected to rise as we get more information. All right, As you remember, COVID nineteen wreaked havoc, but not as much havoc as horrible it was that people died, not as much havoc as the decisions that are made. You know, I was once told that life is ten percent what happens to you in ninety percent how much you react to it or how you react to it, and so we get this pandemic, horrible thing with COVID nineteen. Our reactions are to it government wide, individually, getting the vaccine, not getting the vaccine, whatever it may be. Those are the things that we're going to be dealing with after when this becomes a yearly endemic type situation. So one of those things was California students. I was lucky. On a personal note, I was lucky. My boy is seven going on eight, and so it didn't affect him in the same way. He was still young and out of school, and when he did go into preschool, it was an outdoor school, so it didn't affect him same way, although he did have to wear masks and things like that. But if you had a kid that was in school and had to do with the garbage learning that goes with trying to learn out of school by way of video and the like, there was lots of problems. So the good news at this point is this scores are up. They're going up, especially with the Latinos Blacks, low income kids.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles schools did better than the state average.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 3: We need more and more of this news. Some school districts like Compton saw big improvements. Wonderful, but with good news comes from not so good news. Most students still aren't meeting the state's expectation in math, English, and science the big three there to be able to have those numbers continue or to continue to have them wobble is not good. Still not back to where we were before the pandemic. That's crazy making. I had said on the air when this stuff was first going down that we will deal with the pain of the decisions made here in California and beyond for a decade or more at least, and we do not have footing. I was at the doctors the other day and I said, you know, I remember before the pandemic, you could get an appointment in a couple of weeks for anything, dermatal, you're going whatever, You're going to go see a doctor for about two weeks. Now it's two to three months. And I go, what's going on? He goes, I don't know, but I don't think we've still made up for the pandemic. We're still seeing patients, still trying to catch up. So we're still not back to where we are before. The pandemic. When it comes to testing school testing. Some interesting things coming out of these studies are more California students are considered economically disadvantaged now, so obviously there's more people in that category due to not.
Speaker 1: Not coming out of the situation of the pandemic.
Speaker 3: So not only are we still seeing the kids, they're catching up in some ways getting better but not completely when the test course, but also you've got kids that are now set back because of home situation mom and dad maybe not working, or work has been cut or things have changed. Science scores are the lowest of the three subjects. Math and English alongside six and eighth graders showed some of their biggest improvements, which is a good thing because those are eighth graders. Obviously you're knocking on the door of high school. Sixth graders, you're knocking on the door of middle school or junior high as we say sometimes out here. So education leaders happy about the progress, but still trying to catch up. The main takeaway here is, yes, things are getting a better a little bit. It's taking a long time. It's very slow. Skills schools are still working hard to help the students recover from the pandemic and the impact on learning, but they still are at a deficit. Keep in mind they often lost money, they had issues. The amount of fundraising. If you're a p and you know about the amount of fundraising going on to a place that is supposed to be covered by tax dollars is insane. These poor teachers that are putting their own money into being able to get the most basic of supplies. So what was already a mess is it became a larger problem during the pandemic, and now after the pandemic is barely scratching its way back to the top. Something we're going to be dealing with, maybe not on the school level, but with local economies and everything like that.
Speaker 1: I say, for a decade or more.
Speaker 3: Somebody pirate porch pirating at my house. How nuts is that? RN camera All of our cameras went off, and you know, I got a really really good look at him, but I had something delivered. Now I feel bad for the guy because I'm building a haunted house for my kid's school.
Speaker 1: So it was just candles.
Speaker 4: It was like fake candles and not even real candles, like, so it's you know, it's a it's a sucky get but the soob like walked up and it just it just triggered, and I'm like, wait a second, it's a he.
Speaker 5: Just got burgled. Sucks. How horrible dare you? And they're not even like a young kid. He looked older and he may even be me HINTI.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm flabbergasted. I'm blown away. I'm glad that he got something that sucked.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so smooth. Do you feel violated?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know that I go that far. I don't want the guy on my porch. But violation to me is like being in prison.
Speaker 1: I don't want that. But man, I was sure was.
Speaker 3: Zero to beature as punk. Well, ca, if I am six forty live everywhere in the.
Speaker 1: Eye hurt or I want to hit him in the eye. I want to cook him root in a nick funk.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Neil Savandra in for Bill Handle this morning, Wade will be to be back filling it. Oh man, I just want to.
Speaker 1: Or I'm.
Speaker 3: Mmm righting the sword flexes to wind downer you we can cry when we'll be back on Monday.
Speaker 1: All right, back to what does it so? Casual and entitled. You deserve the crabby candles punk.
Speaker 3: Then getting my good stuff might have been a phone charger in there, like you know, portable phone charger, but cheap like thirty bucks.
Speaker 1: But still, it's just it's your stuff. Sures you bought it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna track you down. I'm going to haunt you. I don't have money, but what I do have is a set of skills. I will find you and I will kill you, all right, Ay, breast milk silly host transitions are for kids. Breast milk for grown ups. Why, okay, let's talk about something you might not expect. A little weird adults drinking breast milk.
Speaker 1: I said, for good I will find you.
Speaker 3: You heard right. So here's the basics about this. People have been using breast milk for a long time.
Speaker 1: Did you know that. I mean not just feeding the babies. I will trik you down, but for all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: This is throughout the ages, not just baby food, but the first century. Pliny the Elder, and with a name like that, people were going to them all the time looking for information. He recommended it for fever, for gout, healing from poisonous beetles, because that's a problem, especially ringo. In the seventeenth and eighteenth century England and even in America, breast milk was prescribed for ailments ranging from consumption, which is what is that? Is that tuberculosis consumption? I think it's tuberculosis to blindness. Oh you're going blind, have some bow milk, that'll you'll be good to go back here. Now, in modern day, some grown ups are starting to drink it thinking it might be good for them. So here's the breakdown here. Breast milk is awesome for babies, right It's got fats, it's got proteins, vitamins, special sugars that helps babies grow and stay healthy. But for adults, we don't really know. It's a bit tricky. The good and the bad of this is. The good news is scientists are finding some cool stuff, some things that are in breast milk that might help with medical treatments.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful.
Speaker 3: The bad news is that drinking breast milk probably won't do much for healthy adults.
Speaker 1: So it's not like, you know, we went through the bone broth thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's still a big thing right now, But like, oh, bone broth is the most magical thing in the whole eyed world, and everybody's looking for that elixir, right, So it doesn't look like milk is that unless there's an issue that the things like these fats, these proteins, vitamins and sugars that they're going to help with you if you are not healthy, there's something if your body doesn't need these things the way a baby does, and it's not gonna do crap for you. So the weird weird stuff on all this is that some people are buying breast milk online. Now, I hope you would know this, but your old powd Neil is going to reinforce this for you.
Speaker 1: I believe what I'm saying it.
Speaker 3: Don't buy breast milk online. Okay, but why Neil? Well, I'm no Pliny the Elder, but I will tell you this. You don't know where it came from. You don't know it is, and it's it could be biologically hazardous because someone It's not so much that you want to buy it. I get it, you think that maybe's can be good for you. It's that somebody felt the need to sell it.
Speaker 1: We don't know them.
Speaker 3: That's the X factor there, so don't do that. People trying it for things like building muscle or curing hangovers, and for the science on that says that doesn't work. But researchers are seriously looking at milk new ways. They're making fake versions of bread breast milk sugars. Well, this is what formula is people that might help with things like heart disease or arthritis. They're using breast milk to check moms for early signs of breast cancer.
Speaker 1: Well that's but how does that help me?
Speaker 3: Yes, you want to chest the test the breast milk for the woman to see if her breasts are bad. But it's not like I'm buying it online swigging it and going uh oh, I taste breast cancer. Yeah, so there's nothing, there's nothing for me. So the bottom line here, it's amazing for babies, not necessarily a magic drink for us. And if you're a healthy adultult it's not going to do anything. And having said that, I will tell you that one host and I'll tell you who it was when we come back. One host here at KFI served her breast milk to dinner guests.
Speaker 6: Dud Dud, dud dud dun, dun, dun, dun, duh, it's not you and dun no no, no, no, no, no no, it's another female host.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you when I get back.
Speaker 3: Let's get the news now with Amy King. I swear to God, I will find that guy.
Speaker 1: I will.
Speaker 3: I will find him, and I will take that stupid jacket off that he was wearing, and I will punch him in the eye because porch pirating is one of the worst things in the whole wide world. Hey, everybody, Neil Savadra in for Bill Handle this morning. Wayne will be filling in starting again on Monday, so don't fret, my pet.
Speaker 1: You'll have him back on Monday, Big news Day.
Speaker 3: Obviously, things is still the repercussions of such a horrendous weather.
Speaker 1: Situation.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry a little preoccupied if you did in here. My house was porch pirate, and while I was on the air doing my duty to inform you, dirt bag, I saw it. My wife thought he was delivering something. He stole something. So it's preoccupying me because people are trash. All you got was prop candles for by kids schools Halloween haunt. So good on you, buddy. You stole from children any who, people with much worse situations going on. You've got Floridians picking up all the pieces after Milton made landfall dangerous category three hurricane. Of course we're still looking at the aftermath of that for those that were thinking of leaving and going to Georgia. Georgia still dealing with Helene and the aftermath, many of them still without power. Just insane, a situation we talked about earlier with Amy King. One person has died, twenty three people have been rested after an elevator had an issue, some technical issue at a Colorado tourist mine. So there's an old gold mine where people were, you know, they go and they check it out, and people were trapped a thousand feet underground for six hours. Can you imagine what your head starts to do after that. California officials have sees nearly one point seven million dollars worth of fentanyl this month in two traffic stops. So I get it when people complain about traffic stops, whether it's minorities or what, or whether they're a hass or whatever it is. But you know what I will tell you, it seems like traffic stops are the key to nailing people for the most part. It just they seem to produce so much anyway. So that was some of the headlines going on in some of the news bits you need to know right now. As far as the question I left you with, what female talk show host here at KFI actually gave breast milk? You'll have to listen to the podcast if you don't know what I'm talking about, because I'm not going to go over the whole breast milk thing. Again, that's too indulgent. A little sure Kono would love it, but the regular listener, they're not going to dig that. So we were talking about breast milk. Adults are drinking breast milk. Now, it's a whole thing. Go back and listen to it on the podcast, Doctor Wendy Walsh gave breast milk in food to dinner guests. Now, if I remember the story right, she told it on the air.
Speaker 1: If I remember the.
Speaker 3: Story correctly, she basically was out of milk and a dinner party that she was throwing and just put her breast milk in there because she was breastfeeding at the time. So if you had that on your being go card, God bless you. You know what what is I because I'm talking about milk, and then I feel like if I do this story, I kind of want some time to do it. I'm gonna I'm gonna move some things around here, Amy King, you ready for news? Because I want to get into this but I don't want to. I don't want to try, and I don't want to cut it short. You got it, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: You got some news? All right? Well, we'll be back. I just want to be ready for you, that's all.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Will's ready, but I'm ready. Well, Will's always ready. He's ready to sing, he's ready to dance.
Speaker 7: He is singing and dancing, you guys and dolls.
Speaker 1: I was looking for a reason to plug it, and where's it at.
Speaker 7: It is in Alta Dina at the historic Barnesworth Amphitheater.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Amy King?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It sounded right to me.
Speaker 7: I think I think that's it, but I'll ask Will just to I'm trying to remember if that's the name of the theater.
Speaker 1: But it's going on.
Speaker 7: His opening night was last Sunday. Said it was really fun. Oh that's cool, and tickets are available.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody, Neil savedra in for Bill handle Wayne Resnik will be filling in for Bill starting on Monday again. Thanks for hanging out on this Friday morning. I watched someone parch pirate live while I was here working today.
Speaker 1: Oh it's infuriating. I tell the story. You can go listen to it, but man, oh really grinds my gears.
Speaker 3: All right, California pledge five hundred million, half a billion dollars to help tenants preserve affordable housing. Guess how much they got. The people in need got zero, not a nothing. So in twenty twenty one, California promised this half a million to help keep housing affordable. So how this works is the money was meant for Community Land Trust. These are groups that buy buildings and then they keep the rents low, right, so they figure this out. Big news. Think about that twenty twenty one pandemic. All that stuff is hitting people are in need of help. They were worried about the raising rents. And I'll tell you. I'll give you an example. Luke Johnson, eighty five years old out in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles, that's the east central part of Los Angeles. He and his neighbors were excited about the program. Their landlord wanted to sell their building. This was a perfect opportunity. They hoped that a community land trust could buy it using the state money. Of course, the states saying, hey, we promised this, but three years went by the state didn't give out any money. Nothing. Why well, the program got stuck in bureaucracy. What are the chances The state agency in charge took way too long setting it up, so the money is basically consumed and they get nothing. So during this time, California's budget gets super tight. Lawmakers get frustrated that no money was spent for this program, so back in June of this year, they decided to cancel the entire program.
Speaker 1: Three years.
Speaker 3: Nothing, not a penny, they canceled the program. This leaves people like Johnson Luke Johnson in a tough spot. The community land trust can't buy their building because it doesn't have state money. Now Johnson and his husband might have to leave the apartment that they've called home for decades. I think, if I remember correctly on a couple other stories I was reading, is maybe even forty years or something. Housing advocates are disappointed, rightly so as those that are sitting in those plays is hoping for a little relief. They say, preserving existing affordable housing is important. Now, why think about it. How much do we hear of complaints that we need more housing, we need more housing. Well, preserving inexpensive housing is right up there with making more housing. Otherwise you're going to have people not being able to live where they are now, and that's going to be a compound the problem. It's not incredible math. So what's next. Well, at this point, the community land trusts are looking around. They don't have that half a billion dollar coming in that was promised by the state. They're trying to raise money from banks and charities. They're hoping to create a one hundred million dollar fund, and they're going to buy properties and keep them affordable. So what's the lesson in this? I was frustrating reading this through this last night and going this breakdown. This story is on a loop. It's over and over again. The big lesson. You know, even if you're not someone like me, I'm a smaller government guy. I like and think that governments are better when they're smaller. You have to agree with this that the government, whether it's federal, whether it's state or even local. The way it is now, it's too big to even manage and fulfill the programs they've already created, the ones that they already believe in, the ones that they've already promised, like this one. Even when the state wants to help White Wick do with housing, we hear about a day in and day out, we need more housing, more affordable housing. They're allowing ADUs, these additional dwelling units to go up on properties.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, that's what blew up in Long Beach the other day. You remember that that was an ADU.
Speaker 3: The money is continually mismanaged, The programs fail time and time again. And I'm seeing this trend, and maybe you are as well that more and more, on all levels of need, it's not the government, it's the private sector. They're either coming to the aid or being asked to come to fund or facilitate needs that the government has failed.
Speaker 1: For example, now this is on a national level.
Speaker 3: Entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, love him or hate them, he and other billionaires have basically privatized the space program. They have privatized space travel billions of dollars. And not only have they privatized it, but they've improved it by being able to recycle and reuse parts of the rockets, so it got better.
Speaker 1: Being privatized.
Speaker 3: On the state level, this very affordable housing project that I was just telling you about that failed by the California state government, and what are they doing now? They're turning to banks and charities to help. Instead, they're going to the private sector to ask for help locally. Back in it was April, because I remember talking about it back in April. I think LA's mayor Karen Bass. Do you remember when she came out and she was appealing to wealthy Angelinos and she's asking them to contribute financially towards solving the city's homeless crisis.
Speaker 1: Can you believe that.
Speaker 3: You're a business, an entrepreneur, whatever you are, and you're in your home and the mayor is calling you to help solve that. Now, I'm all for the community coming together and using whatever resources we all have to make things happen, but it's compounded by the amount of money we've already had. They're looking for public private partnerships is what she was looking for, something called La four La. Now you remember this is after she had included in her first city budget as mayor here in Los Angeles an allocation of one point three billion for initiatives to address the homeless crisis. One point three billion was put into that budget. She devoted about a fifth of that money to Insight Safe Now you remember you hear this a lot. That's our signature program. Moved the unhoused into some of the city's largest, you know, from the city's most largest and most dangerous encampments, trying to get them and that's a goal.
Speaker 1: I'm down for that now I did.
Speaker 3: I know everybody loves to jump to conclusions about who everybody is when they make any because we cannot separate logic from your bias. We can't separate logical thinking, reasonable thinking from the R or the D that you vote for. I'm no longer a Republican, I'm not a Democrat. I don't adhere to either party. I vote and have voted for a long time for the person that I feel suits our need at the time. What's going on in the world, and this is locally and nationally, So if you're going to try and peg me, then you are the problem. Keeping more tax money in the hands of people doesn't mean turning our backs on those in need. That's the problem that everybody thinks, well, yeah, well, the tax always have to go to the government because they're the ones that are going to help people. Know, we're seeing the exact opposite now we are reversing it.
Speaker 1: But you know what it does.
Speaker 3: It makes people think different because it's their money, not their money they gave to another entity that is now spending it. They're going, how can I build a better rocket? How can we solve the homeless issue without all the bureaucracy and the red tape and the garbage that goes with well, we can't do that or the government.
Speaker 1: You've got a building.
Speaker 3: In downtown that's covered with graffiti because we can't use it for whatever reason. And I know there's some logistical issues for homeless people. And it was built by some financers out of China, I believe. And there's there's it just sits there. There's not They say we can't convert it, we can't do this. Meanwhile, it's that's saying it's better for the guy I saw the other day halfway in the gutter and halfway in a bus shelter on sunset boulevard not two miles from my home. That guy's better off than whatever they can't do in that building. You get that, get rid of bureaucracy, you get better management. These are the types of things that I think will excel when we come together. We're instead of digging our heels in in some kind of cult partisanship that everybody's into.
Speaker 1: So so mark my words.
Speaker 3: I don't care if you're on the left, I don't care if you're on the right or any part of the political spectrum. You gotta admit the notion of the government being the sole funder the big mommy or daddy and this guy the facilitator of the needs of its people. It's bloated, it's over right, and it's a failure. And if you see smaller government as some sort of Reagan ass kind of talking point type thing, you're missing the point. We have to invigorate progress where promises and blank checks that have been funded by our tax money have left huge deficits and Americans still on square one, going where is the help? And now the money's gone because in the hands of someone else it might have been better. I know, it's a little we the people, a little early for we the people on a Friday morning. But holy hell, it's it's not working. Over and over and over again. Tons of money, massive mind boggling amounts of money are going through the cracks because we think that this group of people that we elected are going to handle our money better than we can as a community seeing a need and taking care of something. And you know what, the ones that said, oh, this party is heartless and doesn't want to help people and doesn't want national programs or local programs are now the ones going to the people saying, hey, can you can you do this because we can't Neil Sevandri and for Bill Handle this morning, let's get the latest. Oh no, actually we're going to to the top of the hour. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.