Speaker 1: Running a strange program.
Speaker 2: Y'all. This is the other side of Midnight Weekend Review with Walter Sterling, the biggest all night show American radio. You are listening to the biggest all night show in American radio, the.
Speaker 3: Other side of Midnight wyat sharp, Welcome to the other side of Midnight high Hello, good.
Speaker 4: To be back.
Speaker 3: Really, why do you say that.
Speaker 4: Always? It's such a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Why is this a crappy phone connection? What's that about? Do you hear the problem?
Speaker 5: I hear, I do not know you.
Speaker 3: I hear every third word, and I hear an echo. So we're going to hang up and call you back. Okay, so hang up, We're gonna hang up on you. We're going to call you back and I will vamp hi the other side of midnight. It's a show filled with exciting production and complicated hoops and it's a yeah, Oh it's Monday morning. Welcome brand new week I hate it one morning men say that. It's like, I mean, a brand new weekend, and I've got earphones and I can't hear anything in test test I've got oh, we got the the earphones with the tin the tinfoil like you made when you were a kid, and you would set up an intercom that you could talk to your best friend at the house next door. Well, that's what I've got. It's a special challenge. Do you hear an edge in my voice? Pay no attention to it. Just pay attention to the words. I had the best weekend. There are two reasons for this. And I hope you had a well, I don't care if you had the best weekend. But I had a great weekend. And here's the weekend I had. My wife and children were not home any questions, and then they're not going to be home all week. And then I did what I wanted to do. Now I'm going to give you an example. Maybe you can relate to this. Maybe you can share this. When I was in a room and I wanted to go to a different room, I stood up and I walked to that room, like what I know, it's insane. Nobody said did you leave anything? Did you leave any cups in the TV room? Are there any cups in the TV room? For some reason, the inventory on the cups dominates my wife's thinking. It is completely changed from our honeymoon. Now it's did you leave anything in the TV room? Is there anything in there that I'll need to pick up later. You know how this goes. You've seen this transcript your entire life. Your mother shared it with you, your wife has shared it with you. If you made that mistake. Every time. When I was a kid, we were in the car with my grandfather. Every time on a Saturday we went by a church and there was a wedding four thirty on a Saturday afternoon. My grandfather would always say the same thing, Go another mistake, That's all he'd say, without any extrapolation, without any comment. It was like another mistake, and there it is. And here's the best part of that story. I have a happy marriage. This is I have a good marriage, and I'm delighted when they're all away for a week. They're down with her sister and the dreaded brother in law. The dreaded brother in law. I watch something in this time alone that I don't binge watch. I view people who binge watch TV shows. As week. I watch an episode and then I stop, and then I do something constructive, like go into the kitchen, and then a day or two later, I'll watch the next episode. And in the next episode, but this time, I see this series and I watched the first episode and I'm like, oh my god, this is incredible, and then the next one and I binge watched. I would binge watch all eight episodes of this particular series. That was like, WHOA never saw anything this great for me. It may not be perfect for you, but I think you'll have a good time. It's called Star City. You may recall that Russia had a Cape Canaverral. Russia had a Cape Kennedy, and it was called Star City. That's where all of their rockets went off from. That's where they are astronauts and the teams that built the rockets worked. It was in one isolated place, much like Florida, and it was called Star City. This is about an alternate history where the Russians got to the Moon first. All right, you've that series I was called something Beyond Space or something. I don't know, but this was different. This was Russia beat us to the moon. And this series is about what happened after that at Star City to the Russians, what happened next in the Russian space program. And it's not about getting into space. It's not about all of the challenges getting into space. It's about living at Star City Now. I always thought that was a better name than Cape Canaveral. I always thought that was a better name than Cape Kennedy. I thought, wow, star City, that is pretty cool. I watched all eight episodes and it was stunning. Do we have Wyatt?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Is there a reason we don't have? Whyatt? Is it a new phone system to Canada? What is the problem there? Well, just keep calling, just keep calling, radio show, live, radio show. Walter's talking away. Probably should just keep not talking to each other. Just trying to get Wyatt. I know I'm insane. I want you to hear from Wyatt Sharp, who joins us at the beginning of every Monday morning show, Sharp as hell. He happens to be a senior in high school who sounds better than anybody on this radio network. He's a really smart guy, but he's also a shockingly good broadcaster. I'm very nervous. Ah, He's about putting him on because he does sound better than I do, and that is a challenge. No, I didn't mean it that way. It's you know what I'm talking about anyway, So it star City. Now, get a load of what this is. We get to see what the Soviet Union worked like at the height of the Cold War, at the very height of their power sixty sixty one, sixty two sixty three, when krus Jeff was in charge and then Breshnef was in charge. It was like really hardcore Russian and we get to see how it operated in ways that we're terrifying. Their spy system way advance compared to ours, their military internal operations way advance compared to ours. And if it's an alternate history as to what happened after they got to the moon first, how did they deal with it? What was fascinating is what happened to us after we got to the moon first. And we'll talk about that. Do you have him now? Guys? Do you have him now? Could I talk to him? Are you just going to keep talking to him? This is he that charming to you?
Speaker 5: Ay?
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, yeah yea. I'll tell you more about Star City in seconds, But right now I want to talk about Whyatt Sharp. Welcome to the other side of midnight, Wyatt. Were they having a chat with you?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 7: You know it's the great Canadian cell service, I think is the problem?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not funny. You have updates for us? Whyt runs a YouTube channel that's terrific. He also happens to be a senior in high school, has booked amazing guests like Hillary Clinton, and has a has a real gift, like a real gift. You're going to use this to get into Harvard. I know you will. So what's your news? What what are you doing?
Speaker 4: This week? In PARTE?
Speaker 7: The Nancy Guthrie stuff has really continued to get a lot of attention. After my interview with the PMA County Sheriff Chris Nanos, there's been a lot of developments in the case. They release some ransom notes, and in my interview with him with this a little bit last week, it's been kind of expanded upon. They confirm that they're using something called genetic genealogy to basically connect family members to the potential suspect and an effort and make their investigation move along a little bit faster because people are getting pretty frustrated at the pace of the investigation.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 7: Well, basically, what is genealogy?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: What what is the pace? When do they expect some conclusion? Are they happy with the pace?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think That's what I'm getting at is that they're definitely not. And it's not so much even they're frustrated with the pace of the investigation. So much is the fact that the FBI director Cash Bettel, for example, said just this past week that they were withheld from the scene for too long and that the sheriff of was didn't allow the FBI to use Quantico to.
Speaker 4: Go through a lot of the DNA in various labs.
Speaker 7: Quanticos, of course, the FBI's premier.
Speaker 4: Lab that they use for you know.
Speaker 7: Most of these types of high profile investigations. But the local officials there refused, and the FBI attributes that refusal to, you know, the slowed pace of this investigation.
Speaker 3: Why could a local sheriff prevent the FBI from becoming involved? How does that work? I would have assumed the FBI had priority.
Speaker 7: You know, that's a great question, and it's one that a lot of people are asking, But it's actually the state officials that can prevent the FBI from accessing the scene, and that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 4: You also have I've.
Speaker 7: Been seeing online some people saying, well, why can't the federal government just remove the sheriff.
Speaker 4: And that goes back to the fact that in Arizona.
Speaker 7: They have a democratic governor and Chris Nanos, the sheriff there is a Democrat, So you know, even though the sheriff is the lead investigator, there's still a lot of partisan politics at play.
Speaker 3: Well. Plus, isn't the sheriff elected there, not appointed?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, therefore it'd be impossible to remove the sheriff he was appointed. They'd have a better shot. But what I don't understand is why, Well you don't have this answer, but why would they delay? Why wouldn't they want all the help that they could possibly get. Is it just so that they'd get the credit? Is that it so the sheriff could solve the case and get the credit without help.
Speaker 7: I think that's definitely part of it, because I think, again, going back to the politics, he wants to be, you know, the poster child so to speak, for solving the investigation, and if the FBI comes in and solves the case, then you know, it might take some of it.
Speaker 5: Away from him.
Speaker 7: But I will also say that part of the problem is that pe mccounty, the area where this is happening, they have not dealt with high profile investigations like this ever, not even just recently, but Ever, the last high profile thing that happened in p mccounty was the shooting of gab Giffords, and that was over ten years ago. And so I think a lot of it I attribute to just not really a whole lot of expertise in that area, even down to you know, a lot of the not just the sheriff himself, but a lot of the people who make up the office of the sheriff. Through no fault of their own, this is something that really they weren't prepared for because of the sure size of their community.
Speaker 3: You and I have never heard of Puma County, Arizona before. This must be a very real, very rural, desert oriented, abandoned community, and it's curious that a woman with those means would have lived in such a pathetic place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I just think for her, I mean, her house.
Speaker 7: Is very nice. I think a lot of people I live in a very rural area, hence the self service sometimes. But I think that for a lot of people who know Nancy Guttri, it was actually just them trying to map out how is it that someone would even know how to get to her house because of how rural and remote her house actually is. And that's why in the very beginning of the investigation, as with many investigations of this nature, you have people turning to the immediate people who knew her as kind of the first primary suspects in the investigation because of how rual and inaccessible her house actually was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my first thought was the brother, the brother, the son in law who looks like resputant. The son in laws looks terrifying. That was my first thought. I assume they have they have blocked him out and he isn't it.
Speaker 4: He's been ruled out.
Speaker 5: He's been ruled out.
Speaker 3: All right. Yeah, there are other stories you guys are working on tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The other one that I found and we've hindered at it before, but not as directly, and that is that gen Z is actually starting to put their phone down more so than before. Because, of course, what we know is gen Z uses phons more than any other generation. They're finding innovative ways to use it, but sometimes they're getting addicted to it, right, And that's why you've seen governments trying to ban both cell phones, especially in educational settings, but also banning things like social media as well. But there's the report that's kind of out now that says that young people are actually not using cell phones as often as they perhaps were, and a lot of it comes down to young people wanting to have more social time with friends and with family, because it's something that people have lost out on a lot recently with COVID nineteen, they were locked inside their houses, they were having to quarantine. And so it's really the constant notifications and their algorithms and the social.
Speaker 4: Pressure that is in some ways creating a lot.
Speaker 7: Of chronic stress for young people. And I think young people themselves are starting to realize that.
Speaker 3: All right, Wyatt Sharp, what's the name of your channel on YouTube.
Speaker 7: The Sharp Exchange. And We've got some really big interviews coming up as well, which I'm sure we will talk about here on your show over the course of the next few weeks. I won't give away one of them because it's very big, but I have one coming out tomorrow with James Carville on the state of the Democratic Party and kind of where things are heading. We're talking about the Michigan primary that's coming up on August fourth, and lots of other news as well The.
Speaker 3: Sharp Report YouTube. Wyatt Sharp, thank you for being on the Other Side of Midnight Walter Sterling, Red Apple Audio Networks Walter.
Speaker 8: Sterling, the biggest all night show in American radio.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm retired Detective Vic Ferrari And on tonight's episode of Confessions of a Retired Detective, I explain what it's like to be in a New York City subway tunnel pursuing a suspect and it's not what you think. Coming up in Moments with Walter Sterling on the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 10: Florida America's favorite fallat State dangling out in the Ocean. I'm James Parker, Florida Stories yet to come on the Red Apple Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is the other side of Midnight. Weekend Review with Walter Sterling. This is the other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. Weekend Review.
Speaker 6: Y'all listening to Walter Sterling on the other's side of Midnight on WUABC. The station nets so out of side, other people, the sound to sleep. We're still talking till the morning light with the pack a hostess orange cupcakes. Let's all taken another bite on the other side night.
Speaker 3: Mattheas Boom Boom in Hollywood. Welcome to the other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling live from Hollywood. Finally we have a live connection that reaches Hollywood. It cost a tremendous amount of money to get this in and fourteen people working over time to actually be able to reach to you. And soon I'll get a pair of headphones that enable me to hear stuff and I'll get on it. Right now, I'm staring at a black computer screen, and then over there is another black computer screen. But you know, the trick is to ignore all that and just plow ahead. And then you know what people say, You know what people say. Then they say, they say, boy, he's a professional. What a professional he is if he can do a show with a black computer screen there and another one over there. And then if I touched one that was you know, feeding Dominic's Sacred Show and it went out for eight seconds, oh my god, that's a disaster. But if it happened to me twice, there's no problem. You know. The overnight guy matteas Boom boom in Hollywood. Thank you for being my friend. I don't have any.
Speaker 5: Left pleasure to be your friend, and I bid you a very pleasant mooring. Although you've had so much fun thus.
Speaker 3: Far, I've had a special time.
Speaker 5: It's a special time. Speaking of special times, you were at home by yourself. You were enjoying the new series on Apple TV, Star City, And I'm curious to know where the orange flavored Hostess cupcakes involved at all. Well, you were alone and secretly there.
Speaker 3: That's a very good question. The orange cupcakes are such a controversial food that I don't dare eat them in the home. I only eat them alone in the car, which is also where I eat gas station chicken. Now, have you ever had gas station chicken?
Speaker 5: I haven't been that brave.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't think I was that brave either, But I saw every time I went to this one gas station which had this incredible aroma of gas station chicken, and I saw it being made and you could get wings, legs or or something strip strip not a known part of a chicken. And so I and it smelled great. But here's the two things that persuaded me to try it. One, the owner of the gas station made it. It was always the owner of the gas station who made it, so I figured there was some hope there. But the other thing is there was always a line. It didn't matter what time day, I went in, there was always a line of people wanting the gas station chicken. Hmmm, and there then I got it. And it's a delicate synthesis of light, grease and just enough spice in the coating. Wow, I know, and it's cooked perfectly. I never thought i'd eat it, but I can't admit it to members of my family though, to be furious that I would eat the gas station chicken.
Speaker 5: Furious did the chicken? Can me get home with you to watch the television program this weekend or did it just stay at the.
Speaker 3: Guest I sit in the car at the gas station, don't I don't even leave the gas station in the car. And then then I'll go home and I will watch Star City, which is uh so far from me the best television I've seen in years.
Speaker 5: I understand that Ronald D. Moore was one of the creators on that, and he's got you know, he's involved in the Battlestar galact the TV series, the Star Trek Generations, Star Trek Next Generation, Star Trek First Contact. So he's a sci fi guy, and I think that's probably why he's had a lot of sci fi experience. Did he do probably one of the reasons.
Speaker 3: Did he do Strange New Worlds? Is he involved with Strange New Worlds? Which is amazing.
Speaker 5: No, I haven't seen that series, and I don't know if he is, but I know that he did those three at least, and so well, that's one of the reasons. It's it's going in that direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something I.
Speaker 5: Have to tell you. This has been the biggest weekend Hollywood in recent memory. I mean this is a big thing. I mean big, big, big, big. The two movies that are out have now made Hollywood the most money it's made since before COVID. So the first one, of course, is Spider Man Brand New Day. We talked about it last week. That's the new Spider Man movie, which is out right now and is rather good, and it certainly seems to be reflected in the attendance worldwide Spider Man has made since last Friday, nine and twenty seven million dollars.
Speaker 3: That's impossible, it's nuts.
Speaker 5: This makes it the biggest opening weekend, second only to the one point two billion opening weekend of Avengers Endgame, and that was before COVID. So, as I thought might happen, Spider Man would knock the Odyssey out of first place, and it certainly has, but nine hundred and twenty seven million dollars worldwide. Now locally, what I mean locally, I mean in the US and Canada, The Spider Man made three hundred and fifty five million. But that's an amazing worldwide gross. So it's remarkable to me that the other movie that also has Tom Holland, Zendia and John Burnhal, The Odyssey, it just sailed past nine hundred and eleven million worldwide on its third weekend. So it's been a very nice time in Hollywood. Universals are proding its biggest grosses probably since those old Monster movies with Boris Carloff, like Frankenstein and Baylor Lugosi. So it's it's a good time in Hollywood, and people are very happy with Tom Holland, who's having a great time in his career right now. He just married Zendaya, He's having these terrific movies and then he's going to play of all people, Fred Astaire coming up, so well, thank god he has work in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Thank god he has worked. Because we were worried about Tom Holland getting work. I know you won't, all right, and what are you reviewing next week.
Speaker 5: Do you know, Oh, I haven't seen the playlist yet. From the studios, there's some sort of a rom com that has sort of a mysterious thing that I don't even remember the title. You know. I go to four pictures a week, and I just put in my calendar I have to go. I've never watched the trailers ahead of time because I don't want to be influenced. And then when I see them, I said, ah, well that was good or not good, and then we talk about it. So looking forward to talking to you again on Friday morning.
Speaker 3: How do I find you on Facebook?
Speaker 5: Mattias Bomball's Hollywood on Facebook It's M A T I A S B O M B A l apostrophe s Hollywood just like the City. Matias Bomball's Hollywood on Facebook.
Speaker 3: Thanks Walter, Thank you for being on the Other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. You and I are on the radio in Chicago on the Great wg N.
Speaker 6: It's Sterling, Walter Sterling. On the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 3: It's Sterling, Walter Sterling. You should be here every night.
Speaker 2: He takes to the air without a care and does his nightly shows and the midnight in this fits all tune in for reasons. Nobody knows.
Speaker 11: It's Sterling, Walter Sterling.
Speaker 2: On the other side of midnight.
Speaker 7: It's Sterling, Walter Sterling.
Speaker 8: You should be.
Speaker 10: Here every night.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there's no accounting for tastes. There you are? You got a phone number, we can talk at any time. I'll give you a reason to talk in just moments. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. My gosh, is it doctor Sky also from Arizona. Are you in Arizona tonight.
Speaker 1: Sir Ah sure en, Good morning, Walter. Good to be with you.
Speaker 3: It's nice, but I mean, your voice is just it ruins my my mystique, Like I think I have a good radio voice, and then you come on the air and all.
Speaker 1: Islat No, I'm here in Arizona and actually struggling through one of the most ridiculous days. But we expect that in Arizona one hundred and seventeen degrees. If you believe that the moomenter.
Speaker 3: That's impossible. How it is? How does that feel?
Speaker 5: Terrible?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I set the air conditioner. I think we had an air conditioning conversation before, so I've lowered it. Actually I had it at eighty, but after listening to you, I put it at seventy eight. And my electric bill is going up exponentially.
Speaker 3: So there you go, right, And the beauty of that is that every year you and I by energy efficient appliances progressively energy efficient appliances, and you go, well, I got another energy efficient appliance, and therefore my bill should go down. And it never goes down no matter how many energy efficient appliances we buy, the bill always goes up. Makes no sense. It's one of the mysteries, Doctor Samsai. It's a great mystery. Well listen, doctor Sky, there's a great story that's fascinating, and I'd like you to share it with us because it's a doctor Sky's story, and share your theories.
Speaker 1: Well, Walter, this week will be another good week for people who love space, And even if you don't, it's good to pay attention because Wednesday, something unusual is going to happen. It's been done before, but it's never received the media attention. And what is that They will be actually intentionally slamming into the moon an upper stage of a SpaceX booster from a mission Walter that happened back in January the fifteenth of twenty twenty five. The booster was actually trying to get two space probes, two privatized space probes to the surface of the Moon, one Japanese and one American, but unfortunate apparently. I don't know the facts on this, but I believe this is what I've been reading. That booster never got its way out of the way, so it's got into this weird orbit around the Moon. So what's going to happen Wednesday? And the calculations tell us that the impact will take place of this large booster, But we have to put it in the mind like a theater in the mind concept. Forty five feet long, twelve feet wide. We don't know if it has any external internal propellants still in it, God help us, but it will be slammed into the Moon, traveling it over five thousand miles an hour. Whoa with a kinetic effect. If you look at kinetics, you know the energy that can be imparted or exported out three tons of TNT that's their estimate. So why are they doing this? I mean, it's not just for fun. We don't want to intentionally litter the Moon. But that's a whole nother story. It's actually to test what happens when we create craters, because in the future, at least that's what I hope, when we do habitate the Moon, we're going to have to understand what impactors do and what kind of damage they do on the surface of the Moon. Now, from the observation side, I've been viewing the Moon like probably many people, with decent to very high powered telescopes. So the point is some media hype, and I want to correct this if we can, on this show, your show, I think so much in so many in the media are talking about this as if it might be a visible event for people. I wish it were, but I can't rule it out. So you would need a fairly large telescope. So here's the dynamics of what's going to happen. The curring estimates say that on Wednesday morning, two thirty five a m. Eastern daylight time, and this window can change by minutes who knows West coast of course, eleven thirty five p m Pacific daylight time. Now I'll be out there with the telescope the day before just to set it up. But the best views would happen for the eastern to midwestern parts of the nation here, or obviously anywhere where it's dark, what you could see theoretically, and this has happened before. I've watched a few of these events, never to see the impact, but we looked at exactly the location. Back in two thousand and nine, NASA had a mission called l Cross to the Moon. It was a large booster from a Centaur rocket, and Walter, what they were doing is slamming it into the south pole area of the Moon. And this actually this experiment, when they slammed it in, we actually detected water vapor. So that's why if people wondering why are we headed to the south pole of the moon, the possibility now is a fact that there is water vapor in the form of ice there, but this one which will be visible on the very bright side the left edge of the moon. It may be impossible to see the flash, but who knows. But what could happen, Walter, is that debrief from that impact could actually send the plume of material against the edge of the Moon, where people who have a large telescope, not binoculars, may get to see something unprecedented. I've never seen that. I don't think anybody has. So it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 3: What does it mean to us if the Moon has water vapor? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, Walter in the symbolest term. This is really strange. People always ask me, They say, what temperature is the lowest in the Solar System? And going back to school, everybody would think, well, the outer planets, now, Pluto's a dwarf. Well, let's take Neptune. Temperatures out there can be three hundred degrees below zero fahrenheit. How they know that, They take these things called spectroscopes, space probes have visited it and you know, put their so called thermometer out to measure the temperature. But we find out, Walter, at the south post of the Moon, this is almost incredible. It's probably the coldest place in the Solar system. Temperatures allegedly recorded at over four hundred degrees below zero fahrenheit. So why is it important. It's important because in the future when we do habitate that area, there's that possibility since water is so scarce, you know, not only here in the United States now the big water crisis, but we need that and that can help us to generate, you know, future production of water. If we would scrape the ice, let's say, and it's a possible location for as we talk about now, for habitation, so it's got a positivity to it. But this one is just to detect what the impact results are, in other words, what happens when you slam something into the moon like that. So it's exciting and I'll be out there with the telescription.
Speaker 3: And so are the other people. And it could be that the moon is hollow. Is that also something we're studying here?
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is interesting, But let me define what they call hollow. When the Apollo astronauts orbit, the lonely astronaut like Michael Collins and Apollo eleven, God bless him, I couldn't do that. Now, imagine that every fifty or some minutes, you're in darkness and nobody you can hear or see. He detected something as he's going around the Moon where there was like if you locked on autopilot and you said, keep me sixty miles above the moon. He noticed that there was this porpoising or wobble. So what is that? In simple terms, it's something in the lunar surface they call mascon. So there may be areas of the moon that are hollowed out, but not to the point where it's like you could fly through it. Or you know, there's movies out there. I think Moon figured the name of the Hollywood movie Moonshot or something where they say the moon is hollow and civilizations live there. So they've been there trying to detect what happens when you ring the moon, because Apollo eleven sent ussm experiment there and when things do happen, like we slammed other rocket bodies into the moon, so the moon does ring, it's kind of weird. So we really don't know Walter, the true dynamics of what the internals of the moon are. But it's fascinating, don't you think it's really?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And there's something you said with certainty that I have to ask you about too, which is, okay, when we inhabit the moon, Yes, what are the triggers to decide whether or not we actually need to go through all that trouble?
Speaker 1: Well, the truth is we have to get the right spacecraft to do it properly, because look at the tiny spidery lander that we had in the Apollo program, a great feed of technological genius. But now if we replicated that we're only going to be able to be, you know, bring a small number of people to the Moon. So the promise of the future is with SpaceX they're building a moon lander based on the starship design, and also Jeff Bezos is designing. And when we have an Artemis three mission, we don't know when it's going to happen. Somebody says in the year twenty twenty seven will be not to go to the Moon. The original Artemis three was supposed to be the moon landing, but now we want to test the lunar lander. So the simplest way I can say it is that once we develop that, we can go to places like the south pole of the Moon. They call it the Aitken Basin, and this is one of the largest impact areas on the Moon. The old Cross mission identified that we have water vapor down there. So what's going to be the limitation. It's building the right spacecraft to do it, and then you have to do the whole design and this is going to take a while. So I don't think, folks, it's going to happen overnight and naturally not. So habitation modules would then need to be built. Apparently they're going to look to put a small nuclear reactor on the moon too. So it all sounds sci fi, but were on airplanes kind of science fiction back in the turn of the early nineteen hundreds, right, amazing, It.
Speaker 3: Is amazing, and it seems like a great dare. I dare you to inhabit the Moon? And this is not for you to answer, but I'm like, okay, so what's the benefit of us going through all that trouble? What's the end benefit of us inhabiting the Moon? I can't really imagine it other than og it's a really cool thing, can you.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want an answer, this is something interesting. There's a isotope of helium. And I met him, maybe you did, a lot of people know that there's only a few of the Apollo astronauts left, but Harrison Schmidt the only geologist to go to the Moon. He of course became a US Senator in New Mexico. Many may know, but one of the things Walter that they actually found or in his works, he talked about something called the isotope of helium three. What's that when you scoop up the lunar soil, there's this ingredient that you could use to help generate energy in the show. There you go, So there could be energy increments here. But this is way in the future. I mean, this is not something that's going to happen in my lifetime. Probably I would hope it happens quicker, but everybody has to make up their mind as to whether they think these things are worthwhile. But from my limited perspective, hey, I think it's a great thing to talk about.
Speaker 3: I have a television viewing tip if you haven't seen it already. I'm not a binge watcher of television shows. I view people who binge watch the series as weak. I'll watch an episode and then I'll watch the next episode a couple days later. But on Friday I saw it started to watch a series that I figured i'd watch one or two episodes and get back to it. No, no, I couldn't stop. And it's called Star City Wow. And it's about the Russian Cape Canaveral. And it's an alternative history in that they beat us to the moon, But that isn't the story. The story is what happened after they beat us to the moon, what happened in Russia. In Russia, in Star City, the people who live there, the scientists, the engineers, how they lived and how they interacted with each other, and how they viewed the United States. Absolutely fascinating but so well done. And I watched all eight episodes at once, and it doesn't have well there's no star and it doesn't have any actor I'd ever seen before. That's sure how strong the story is.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to check it out. Walter. I haven't seen it, but your recommendation goes right to the top. But just a little bit of information about the real Star City. I don't know if Hollywood, I haven't seen it yet. But they never launched rockets from Star City. It was a training location for the cosmonauts, but they actually launch all their rockets from a place called Baikenor, which is this bizarre space location. Who I say bizarre because it's so far out in the you know, planes in the maces of Kazakhstan. This is where they've done this. And of course Star City was dedicated to Yordiga Garin, who launched into space and sadly died. It's amazing that story could fill hours. You know, here's the first cosmonaut, first person to do the orbitation of the Earth, but what happens to him years later? He flies one of these Meg fifteen fighter jets out of one of the airports around Moscow and something happens where he crashes and dies. There's a long story behind. But I want to watch dar City because I love the stories like this. I think that's fascinating to take a look at it.
Speaker 3: So it was fun. Yeah, in Star City they refer to him, and every time they refer to his demise, they get vague, so so many many vague. All right, you're a good friend, doctor Scott. Tell everybody what time you're on the radio.
Speaker 1: We have our program, thank goodness, and we appreciate the entire red Apple Lodium network. Here we're looking Friday nights midnight to two am Eastern Day Lifetime and Saturdays, different guests, different topics on Saturday midnight to two am Sunday, and the subject matter. In case people haven't tuned in, we encourage them to. All the shows here on this great station is basically about astronomy, space, aviation, weather, celebrities. And also since I served in the military and did something in the Lee world, law enforcement world, we talk about stories of American exceptionalism. To keep the whole concept of truth, justice in the American way, a combination of topics with great game. And it's always a privilege and honor to be here with you and all the great shows and all the great hosts that are here on the.
Speaker 3: Station, live radio the way it's supposed to be. Thank you, doctor Scott. Thank you for being on the other side. My pleasure, real pleasure. Thank you, sir. All right, let's you and I talk eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. The exciting time that this is is that you and I just finished two days of hell. We had to deal with family relationships, all the things that we're not trained for, and now we get to go to work. Because the dirty secret is that we'd mostly rather go to work where things are vaguely organized, we know what to do. There's a cause and effect between our behavior and outcomes, whereas when you and I have to deal with children, teenagers, in laws, that's a whole different set of hers. And I had a I had a really tough weekend, and the reason it was tough wasn't because I had to deal with my daughters or my wife. Because I didn't. They weren't here. They were like, they weren't here. I'm gonna I got to look up something now that I shouldn't have to look up. Hold on a second, hold on, hold on, I got to look up something for my friends. Let's see. Uh, there's a clip there William called women Trying, And when I point to you, I'd like you to play that. It's called women trying, and it's there's the greatest mystery for any any married couple. The greatest mystery for any married couple is, at some point it starts to be a lot of work to communicate with each other. And that's it should be easier rather than harder, but it tends to be harder.
Speaker 11: If you don't I need a man so bad, then why are you so try and so hard all the time to get their attention. If you don't need a man so bad, why are you trying so hard to get them to pay for this and pay for that, and do this and do that.
Speaker 5: Because you do.
Speaker 11: Need a man, why don't you just admitted and not only do you need one, but you want one?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: You want one?
Speaker 1: Just admit it.
Speaker 3: That's the challenge, It's it's the admission part. Admission is the first step. Admitting it is the first step to solving the problem. But the way most men and women communicate is much trickier than that. And I saw it with my parents, I see it with my children. I see it with my kids dating, and I see it myself. It's like I see things ABC and D, let's do this. The result will be this and then we'll be happy. But with my wife it doesn't work that way. First, it has to start with me saying that I'm sorry. I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, I have to start basically with me saying I'm sorry. Now. I've never asked anybody in my life to say that they're sorry. I've never said to somebody, you know, I really wish you'd apologize for that. It wouldn't occur to me to do that. It just wouldn't because it's like, nothing is that big a deal to me. So first I have to start with I'm sorry. Now. What I had to apologize for this weekend was particularly bizarre. Since we're not together. I'm staying in my sister in law's home and without notice. Get this, I'm staying there for the weekend. I'm alone. I've done this before. I know how to stay in somebody's apartment alone and see if this has happened to you. And then I get notification that some distant relative who I don't know and their kid is also going to be staying there. Oh oh, And I wasn't given an update on this. I wasn't giving any information on this, but I said, well, when are they going to get here? And I was told last night? All right, they were going to get there last night. Great. What did I do? Like any man? I locked myself in a bedroom and I hoped I wouldn't have to see them. When are they leaving? Exactly? Well, I think on Tuesday, all right? And I made that work in my head. I thought I'd be alone because I need to be alone. I don't know about you, but I do. And then these people who I vaguely knew, who I met once twenty five years ago. That's it, I met once twenty five years ago. They were going to be arriving, and they were going to arrive last night. Okay, all is well. What happened next was remarkable and I'll share that coming up in just seconds. This is the other side of Midnight on the Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 2: This is the other side of Midnight Weekend with Walter Sterling. This is the other side of Midnight Weekend Review with Walter Sterling.
Speaker 3: It's the other side of Midnight Confessions of a Retired NYPD Detective.
Speaker 8: Sorry, Big Ferrari, on the other side of Midnight, on the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 9: Hey Walter. On tonight's episode of Confessions of a Retired Detective. I'd like to talk a little bit about the New York City Police Department's transit Police. So when I got hired in nineteen eighty seven, the NYPD was broken up into three police departments. You had the city cops, the transit cops, and the housing cops, and they all kind of did the same thing, but they fell out of the same umbrella. The only difference was on details and demonstrations. It was all on the NYPD. Transit and Housing didn't get involved in it, and they had their own chiefs and inspectors that didn't answer to anyone. Then they all merged. But the funny thing is, when I got hired, I didn't think transit police was a bad job, and I said, you know, I really wanted to be NYPD. I didn't want to go to housing. And I remember the day, a few days before I got sworn in, we were supposed to go downtown and there was a list, and you looked on your list and you saw.
Speaker 3: Where you're going to go.
Speaker 9: And I was kind of relieved when I went to the NYPD. But I was always fascinated with the transit system, and sometimes there'd be jobs down there and transit cops weren't available. Was sometimes you were unlucky enough to chase somebody into a subway tunnel, and I remember the first time that happened. I remember chasing the guy would reckless abandon I'm about thirty feet into this tunnel, and I go, what the hell am I doing. It's one thing to chase somebody on the street or through buildings or through a vacant lot. It's another thing into a subway tunnel because a lot of times these guys know the lay of the land, don't and you don't know what the pitfalls. And what I quickly realized is there's a ton of garbage down there. There's rats the size of Doxin's. And I says, oh no, no, no, no, no, let me put this sover, we'll seal the tunnel off on the other side, and then eventually we got the guy. After nine to eleven there was a shift where they wanted NYPD guys to be trained to be in those tunnels. So I took a day long course up in the Bronx I think it was a transit District twelve, and they sent NYPD detectives and they basically gave us a crash course on what it was like down there, followed by a tour of the tunnel. And what I quickly realized is once you're down there, I forget the distance. But it's almost like every fifty or one hundred feet there's these little cutouts into the concrete. So when the event of trains come and you can get in there, it's like a little on coove and you can get your back up against the wall and the train won't hit you. Also, down in the subway system, every so many feet there's a blue light, or in darry this should be a blue light unless the bulb burns out of the homeless people steal it. Next to that blue light is a switch and you're able to turn off power to the train, but it's only for about five or ten minutes, and unless you call dispatch and tell them, hey, I'm down here, the power will come right back on. So guys have gotten themselves into trouble where they turn the power off to the train and they didn't realize to turn it back on, and that's where bad things can happen. For more behind the scenes NYPD stories, be sure to check out my new book NYPD Behind the Blue Wall of Silence, available on Amazon. I'm retired detective turned off the Vic Ferrari with Walter Sterling on the Other Side of Midnight.
Speaker 3: He's going to have to come on and tell us more about that. That was an amazing story. How they train these guys to be in the subway tunnels. They think they're going to be solving robberies in the Bronx and now they're stuck in subway tunnels and they better turn the power back off fast enough. Who WHOA. I don't always get to listen or look at what he's going to talk about ahead of time, and usually I'm as amazed as you are. Vic Ferrari, retired New York City Police detective. Oh my gosh, wow, wow, The Other side of Midnight that's pretty cool, mister Ferrari. Vic Ferrari, buy that book. For gosh sakes, by that book. I've never said that before, have I No, I'm telling you now, by the book. So the situation with my wife went like this. Everything was fine. I was spending the weekend at my sister in law's apartment, one of her many of her estate, and I was staying there for a couple days alone. All right. Then last night I get this notification when I'm away or they want me to do something. I don't get a phone call, I don't get a text. I get a notification, much as you would at work or if there was a police emergency. And it says Susan's going to come there with her daughter tonight. I'm like, okay, and that's all I knew. I said, when is she leaving? They said Tuesday. Okay, that's fine, and I changed my brain so I understood I'd be in an apartment with these two other people I had met twenty five years ago. Well, I go to sleep, I wake up today. Everything's fine. Then around four o'clock I get this text and the text says, now they're going to be staying in the room you're in because there are two beds, and I want you to make your bed. I said, WHOA. You had already told me I could stay in this room. And I said, when did they arrive? Oh, they haven't arrived yet. They're going to arrive today. You told me they were going to arrive yesterday. Right then it starts to get slippery. Right then, I get slippery. I'm supposed to make my bed, I'm supposed to change rooms, and I'm all settled. I have my things on the dresser, I have my clothes out, I have my prescriptions all set up right. You know the situation when you check into a hotel. Will Now I'm all checked into the hotel and I'm told I'm going to have to move to a different room. And it was already promised. I said, no, you promised me I could stay in this room. You, in fact said first Divs. Whoever gets into the room first, it's first Divs.
Speaker 2: Like what?
Speaker 12: Thanks for listening to the Other Side of Midnight. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at WABC radio dot com and download the WABC Radio app. Hit that subscribe button on all major podcast platforms plus follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder
Speaker 1: What the heck is going on here