Speaker 1: Oh Canada, Donald Trump rashing, the economy, recession looming.
Speaker 2: What happens next? Watch what happens will happen right here on.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC, the talkstation. It is eight oh five right now, fifty five krsd Talk Station. A very happy Wednesday to you. I've been looking forward to this all morning. I am pleased to welcome to the fifty five KRS Morning Show. One of the January sixth defendants spent quite some time, quite a bit of time in jail, and he's now the executive director of two different groups we're going to be learning about today, Stand the Gap and the Real Jay six. Shane Jenkins, Welcome to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. It's a real pleasure to have you on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's honor to be here with you this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'm bringing your biography. Man, You've got a hell of a story to tell. You have lived a rather transformative life and one of redemption as well. Just give my listeners a little bit of background about your early childhood and into the teenage years before you well woke up and discovered a higher power, if there.
Speaker 2: When I was twelve or thirteen years old, I found out I was adopted, and I had a really adverse reaction to that. I had what I would call an identity crisis at a very young age, and I set out to create what I thought the persona of this man that I thought Saint Jenkins was a lie, honestly, and so I said, as an immature young boy, started to create what I thought a man was, which was an angry, violent people somebody that people feared or respected in the wrong ways, which led me down a very dark path. I turned away from school and sports and my family, and you know, I began to look at my biological family is like I wondered what was so wrong with me that they didn't want me right my own mom could throw me away. And so I was a very wounded young man turned to the streets, you know, and ended up in jail by the age of sixteen till age nineteen. Watched my friends shoot and kill a guy and shoot two other people when I was in the car with them, and so I went down in Texas as a laws of accessory, as if I had full of trigger, and so I did three years for that. Got out when I was nineteen. My mom married this violent and alcoholic, drug addic, abusive man, and he went to jail twice to beat my mom. At the age of twenty, I shot shot and killed him in self defense. And so here I was sixteen whilst my friends killed a guy, a few to other people, and at the age of twenty killed my stepfather and self defense was acquitted by a grand jury, no charges. But still I had in my mind we had the blood of my blood and blood of my stepfather's wife on my hands, right and so and uh well, and so that let me down a very dark path. I had this guilt and shame from killing my stepdad, even though it was in self defense, even though it was in defense of my mom and and myself, and it just really led me down a dark path. Three tricks to prison as adult and after my adopted mom passed away, my third trip to adult prison, and Jesus Christ met me there in a prison cell, thank God, and then salvaged me from busting the gates of the hill a lot open.
Speaker 1: So, since you you know, achieved this enlightenment and this awakening through Christianity obviously changed your life for the better, and you've been running a straight and narrow path ever since I presume.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, other than the buffer the road that we.
Speaker 1: Called anywhere since we're going to get to that, and that, of course is a nice segue to talk about that. So you're in the Capitol.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What led you to be at the Capitol on January sixth ultimately leading to your arrest and imprisonment?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, like I had, like I said, I had been in a out of trouble a lot of my life criminally, and they twenty nineteen, I got off roll, had given my life to Christ in twenty sixteen, and so my politics sprang from my faith. Right I I started the value life and all these things and gave my life to Christ again in twenty sixteen, and then started watching the persecution of President Trump, and so I finally wanted to vote in the twenty twenty election. Voted early in Texas, then watched the election election night, which I had a lot of questions about the twenty and twenty elections. Still do manipulated the election at bess stolen, at worse is what I would say. You know. President Trump sent out the tweet said come to d C joined the Stop of Steel rally will be wild in all caps and I had never been to d C, never been to a Trump rally. Wanted to go protests and request that they send the electors back to the states so they could do an investigation in these states that were won by very small martins. And so I went and got and got drugged up into the crowd and to the melee, was watching people be assaulted, was assaulted myself, found out Ashley Babbitt was murdered inside the Capitol while I was there on the Lower West Airece.
Speaker 1: And you know, it was a lot, and ultimately you were charged. What led the charges I see was eight phonies and one misdemeanor. And this in connection with your activities in the capitol on January sixth. What did they say you did?
Speaker 2: They said that I assaulted police officers, which after watching people be assaulted for no reason, being assaulted myself for taking no action against police officers, finding out they had shot and killed somebody inside the capital, on top of feeling like they were stealing an election, covering up the steel of an election. I finally lost my tool and I did. I did throw sticks what you would say like flag sticks, a broken piece of a crutch, a death drawer. I did so those items at fully riot geared, armored, helmeted field police officers. And I'm accountable for that.
Speaker 1: I understand, and I appreciate you but willingness to omit your accountability. But you know, I you have to observe, and I observe, and I can't forgive violence against police officers. And this is why they end up taking it a trial. But you know, this is really an illustration of selective prosecution because a lot of those BLM and anti file folks were out in the street throwing bombs, fireworks that exploded at police officers, throwing frozen water bottles and other articles similar to what you threw at police officers. I don't recall a mass roundup and prosecution of any of those folks. Do you recall them an each chain?
Speaker 2: No, not at all. And I will say this Rose another woman died fifteen feet from me on the Lower West sair series Roseanne Boiling. And then not only that, but when they came and raided my house here in Houston, they sent the head of the Joint Terrorism Task Force from the FBI to raid my house along with Houston Squat. They also labeled me a tier one anti government extremists. Whenever, at worst, I threw Dick's got caught up in the heat of the moment and threw sticks a police. But that they determined that I wanted to overtow the government by those actions and was a terrorist, Well, eighty is absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Why and based your prior criminal back, which you obviously admitted and admit regularly in the context of your transformation and your enlightenment, that was not related to political activity, was it?
Speaker 2: No, not at all, not at all, So okay.
Speaker 1: So you go through the trial and of course I'm sure there was a biased jury there given the location of the venue. You you're found guilty at trial, so they sentence you to what was your sentence.
Speaker 2: Eighty six months, which is seven years?
Speaker 1: Seven years? Okay. It seems excessive in the light of the modern criminal process we have today where everyone gets off for almost murder. That's more more time than people that commit murder get And you were in not you were in nine prisons as well as what they call the DC gulog. How much time did you end up spending in prison?
Speaker 2: I've spent forty six and a half months or fourteen hundred and eighteen long days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like you were counting, Shane, well in twenty four of which were trial. So did they deny you a bond hearing? Did they say no bond?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, they said no bonds. Now they were they were afraid that we were going to have another rally and something else was going to happen, and that like like I had never been in trouble for going to political rally and getting out of control like I was Antifa or something. They said, no, you're You're a threat to society.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I'm sure they brought into evidence your criminal background absolutely of course unrelated to the to the to the protest against the government. All right, So what was it like in what we call the DC gulag Shane?
Speaker 2: That was absolutely horrific? I had I had, Like I said, I've been to many different vales of Texas and prisons and stuff. Never have I been denied visits with my family for two years. Never have I been denied religious services for two years. Never have I been denied haircuts for a year. Never have I been denied fingernail clippers, toenail clippers for a year, which is all things that they did at the DC jail, not to mention, send officers in to assault people, pepper spray people, will throw us in solitary confinement for no reason. And so it was a you know, you throw us in this ninety seven percent Biden district with well, I call the Rainbow Brigade. You had the black lesbian anybody above a regular officer grade was a black lesbian woman, and they hated Donald Trump and Trump supporters that they would spit on the floor at his.
Speaker 1: Hearing his name, and so, okay, it was that that's where that treatment comes from. I can understand that. Yeah, bias within the prison system. Anyhow, Shane Jenkins, you decided you were going to do something about it and you were going to help out folks in the future while you were in jail. Tell my listeners about your sort of eared idea behind the Real j six and ultimately stand the gap.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, we started a nonprofit. Well, we started the LLC the Real j six first just to kind of put out newsletters so merchandise team sure people that want to support us, and to get guys' stories off. Then as that kind of evolved, we realized that we were paying taxes on that money, so we started the nonprofit because we also wanted to do justice reform in the future. In the meantime, we wanted to help January six ers, so we still sell merchandise on the real Day six but we are a nonprofit at standindegap dot Foundation and we are currently helping January sixth guys. Right now. We're working on credit repair and for health care because you know, we were kidnapped by the FBI, so everybody's credit was shot all to nothing, bad, all bad, and then health care in the prison system is horrific, so we want to be able to fund guys going to the doctors, going to the dentists. And then we're also working on a thing called Mission Memory Maker, where we're fully funding a three to five day vacation with the January sixth defendant and their family and children so they can get away for three to five days, no expense to them. Ubers paid for airfare, resorts, pay for meals, everything. Because you know, the pressure is on the man right now for the most law I say man, and there's women too, but for the most part of the men to get back to work because the wife has been out there typically raising the children on a single income where it was typically two incomes for the last four years, so the pressure is on the man to get back to work typically, So we want to ease that burden and that stress and just pay for their vacation so they can get away and just have no worries and love on each other and just get back to some type of normalcy in their lives.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a nice thing for you to do. You've been through the ring of yourself and you know what it's all about. So it's nice that you would step up to the plate for the other Jay six fos, you know. I see other component of this is and I think about Ashley Babbitt, that that was not a justifiable use of deadly force under any circumstances. You know, I'm a lawyer. I know the law when it comes to use of deadly force. She did not represent an eminent threat to anyone. She was snaking through a window that had been broken out and they gunned her down. And I think about that, and it's like, how that that person has never been held accountable, that person has never been hauled into the view of social media, the person that shot her and criticized and condemned for killing really what amounted to a totally innocent, unarmed woman.
Speaker 2: No absolutely and somebody and shooting my stepdad and self defense. I'm very familiar with selfist that self defense of the third third party, and so she had no weapons in her hand. There was nobody vulnerable and in danger right there. It was a ambush. She ambushed her coming through that window of a veteran of our Air Force wounded in combat. It's just a hor horrible it is.
Speaker 1: It is, And that's kind of why I emphasized the Ashley Babbitt story because I think it's one of the most egregious examples of you know, the treatment of people there, but also because you've been through down that road based on your history and your life. As you just reminded folks, you had to kill your stepfather because of the threat that he opposed to you. So you know the law too in that realm, and of course the law allowed you to escape having to go to prison for that. Now I hate to live with the reality of I fully appreciate where you're coming from in terms of the stress that that has left you with. Emotionally, no one would ever want to take the life of another human being and could ever forget it after it's done. But that's the agreed to side in law enforcement. But the treatment of people that just engaged in innocuous behavior like just strolling through the capital that the idea that they were rounded up and subjected to the judicial system is really mind boggling to me, particularly given the comparison to how the left wing protesters were treated and not bothered at all in terms of law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, sir, When to see Tom Tillis yesterday, Senator Tom till Is saying that people that trespass on Capitol grounds deserved between thirty days and three years in prison is absolutely frustrating and ridiculous, especially when you had groups of massed individuals taking down ski fencing, removing bike racks next to the Decis police, Capitol Police watching them, giving them the thumbs up and allowing them to remove those barriers and those trespassing signs, which any other day other than January sixth would not be considered trespassing to be on Capitol grounds. But he's calling for people to be in jail and all. It's just so frustrated. Then he doesn't want to confirm ed Martin as the DC attorney, and it's just super, super frustrating.
Speaker 1: I imagine it's like it's like pointing assault or vinegar in your your your current lasting wound. Shane Jenkins. The real J six dot com is where you find Shane in his organization there, And what's the website for the Stand in the.
Speaker 2: Gap Stand in the Gap dot Foundation?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I saw that. I'm used to seeing a dot com or a dot org or a dot gov or something. I never seen a dot foundation. But there you have it, Stand in the Gap dot Foundation and my listeners, I really appreciate where you're coming from, Shane, and as do I sorry you got run through the wringer, but you know, it's good that you're out there explaining the injustice that was involved in what they call the justice that was served there. And your voice is fully appreciated. And I know the other JA sixers who are similarly treated certainly appreciate what you're doing in your efforts on their behalf. Shane Jenkins, thank you for spending time with my listeners of me today. It's been very enlightening. And I'll have my executi producer put your organization's links on my blog page at fifty five krs dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for I hope you'll have a wonderful day and God bless.
Speaker 1: You, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Sir.
Speaker 1: It's a twenty fifty five krs the talk station time for you to mention Cover Sincy. You'll be glad to get in touch with Cover Sincy. Because everybody loves to save money. How about getting a better product for less money. I'm all about that, you know me my mantra, but I'm talking about medical insurance here, and you could be in a better place if you just call Cover Sincy and have them look at where you are. They look at every single person individually, and they have access to hundreds of different insurance companies and thousands of insurance policies, and they put together a sort of a layered coverage, so your dollar one coverage for your regular medical visits and things like that as opposed to money out of pocket, and then you got your major policies in case you end up in the hospital. By doing that, you get to save heap loads of money. And you, well, like I said, covering dollar one coverage, you have that on your current medical insurance, you may be at a later part in life. They help you with Medicare issues as well. Brilliant they are, and they work for you, not any insurance companies. That's whether you're broker. They're on your side of the table on this process and it doesn't cost you a dime nothing, and you get the benefit of Cover Sincy and their team on a going forward basis, Like if you have a claims issue, you don't have to work it out with the insurance company. You call Cover Sincy and let John Roman and the team iron it out for you. They think of the just the time savings that means alone, because we all have a bump in the road when it comes to medical claims from time to time. So just call find out if you could be at a better place. I have lots of listeners who have done this and they are very very happy dot com fill the form out online. They won't sell your information anybody to keep it confidential or just call them to initiate the process at five point one three eight hundred call five one three eight hundred two two five five. This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 2: For more