Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's the lady with her overcoat sticking out of the car door. Ali Ward, this is Ologies. I hope you have an appetite for airplane food like no other astrobramatology and it's delicious, is it? Let's talk? But first, thank you to all the patrons who were hungry for information about this ology. You send in your questions ahead of time. You two can support ologies and joining patron dot com slash Ologies for Sili is a buck a month. Huge shout out to patron Jillian Dugan, who this week got an Ologies tattoo. Jillian, it is wonderful to spend life with you. I could not be more honored. Also, thank you to folks out there in lower commitment Ologies merch from ologiesmerch dot com, including shirts and hats and tots. Smologies is our spinoff show of shorter, kid friendly and classroom safe episodes you can find where we get podcasts. Also, thank you to everyone who reviews the show. I read them all and they help so much to remind me I'm not recording in a dark room just for myself. Like this week's from nature lover Katie Twoshoes, who wrote, thank you, I am richer for your work and mushroom screams. I appreciate you taking Ologies along on your owl banding trip. Also thank you to the sponsor to the show who make it possible for us to donate to a charity of the ologists choosing each week.
Speaker 2: Hey Mark, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm not great a sore throat. I think I'm coming down with a cold.
Speaker 2: No, you should try a Vogel sore throat spray. It's a natural remedy. With ecination and sage, I can treat symptoms of coals and flus, including sore throats.
Speaker 1: Perfect. I'd give that a try.
Speaker 2: So we leave sore throats symptoms with a vogel a Quena four sore throat spray made from echinasia and sage herbs and designed to reach irritated parts of the throat, available from health stores and pharmacies nationwide.
Speaker 3: Always read the leaflet.
Speaker 1: As long as I've got you in the giving mindset, I wanted to fill you in that from our Trillology episode in late August, the wonderful sight giving multiplier set up accustom ologies url to donate to your favorite charity and then split the donation with highly effective global charities. In those few months, Oligites have raised over six hundred and ninety thousand dollars via GiveDirectly dot org slash ologies. We will link it in the show notes. You have helped lift twenty five households out of extreme poverty, provided fifteen hundred children's seasonal malaria prevention, given over one hundred and twenty thousand kids, vital vitamin supplements that have saved seventy kids lives, plus so much more good. I would need a whole hour at least to list it off, and through December. We're in a competition with twenty three other podcasters, including Yale professor doctor Lori Santos of the Happiness Lab podcast, who was in our eutamology episode. So if you are looking to donate to both your favorite charity and highly effective ones, the site GiveDirectly dot org slash ologies is amazing. We get nothing and we win nothing. This is just a friendly competition to raise the money. Link GiveDirectly dot org slash ologies in the show notes. If you're looking for a less consumery holiday season, requesting a donation to your favorite charity can be a really great gift instead of another pair of slippers. So that's GiveDirectly dot org slash ologies. Okay, onto astrobramatology. Astro means celestial body or star in ancient Greek, and broma in Greek means food, so of course space food. This ologist is an artist and designer turned scientist who got their masters in industrial design for Rizdy. They have researched space food at MIT. They worked in the science division at the nat Geo Society. They've sent Miso to ferment on the International Space Station. They've studied solar ovens in Norway, looked at breadmaking in space, and attended the UNS meeting of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space. They also found it an initiative called Fieldscape that connects artists and scientists to work creatively and collaboratively, which is great. We'll talk about that intersection as well as powdered meats, orange breakfast beverages, Martian gardening, espresso, and zero g how eating without gravity is like having COVID canned stews, stinky roommates, contraband corn beef, velcrow fatigue, wearing a space helmet on the roller coaster of a parabolic flight, and the Future of Food with artist, researcher, space food expert and thus astrobromatologist Maggie Coblenz.
Speaker 3: Maggie Coblentz, she here.
Speaker 1: I talked to so many people, Maggie. I asked them about their jobs, and you have one of the weirdest. It's so cool, it's so like space food, Like, who who does that? And the answer is Maggie. That's nuts. Does it come up at dinner parties? Does it come up at like let me introduce you to Maggie. She wears a helmet on a vomit comet to smell sizzling mirror plot? Does that come up?
Speaker 3: It? Does? I have a lot of names from friends space Maggie. I have a friend who calls me astrogue, astronomer, space witch.
Speaker 1: We have a friend who works at NASA who works in spectroscopy. We call her the Mistress of space rainbows. Oh, I like, and I think that just reads you're very well loved. I feel like the question you must get the most is like, how can I do this? Does that come up a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or I think it's more just this maybe bewilderment. How did you come to do what you do? Or yeah, why do you do what you do. I'm not sure how many people are aspiring space food experts, but there's always a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: When The Martian came out, did you feel like that's it. I'm going to talk about potatoes to acquaintances for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: It's been forty eight souls since I planted the potatoes, so now it's time to reap and resow.
Speaker 3: They grew even better than I expected. I now have four hundred healthy potato plants. I thought that was so cool. I was just so excited that the Martian was actually interviewing space food experts and bringing research into their process. So I felt like, okay, this is There's a lot of directions one could take this.
Speaker 1: Okay quick aside. Andy wears twenty eleven book The Martian was made into a movie in twenty fifteen, and in it, Matt Damon tried to grow potatoes on Mars. Afterward, NASA consulted with the International Potato Center to see if this could be done, because it would be helpful to have potatoes on Mars. So they tried with this Mars esque soil from Peru, but Mars dirt is toxic to human and plant life. So five years later, in twenty twenty one, this astrophysics professor figured out that certain bacteria might gobble up the toxic compounds in Mars soil, and as of a twenty twenty four article titled Detoxifying Mars the Biocatalytic Elimination of omnipresent Perchlorates, NASA announced that it'll try this method for cleaning the soil and the mostly subterranean ice on Mars. So perhaps space taters might one day be on the menu when we bail on this planet. So science it imitates art. Now you also you have a background in art and design too. How did this all kind of come about? It's a really wide general question, and I'm sorry, but I literally don't know even where to begin because it's so cool.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I also don't know where to begin. But it's true for me, it fits, but it also feels like a little bit of a jump. I think space is changing so much, the field of space, so it's not just scientist, engineers, technologists, but there's a lot of different disciplines who are contributing. My goal in starting this research it never was not actually to get a job although that's where I landed with space food. I was approaching it very much with the designers or industrial designers lends and looking at how do people live in space? I thought that was such a weird question and really stretched my imagination. So investigating the design of the International Space Station and how it's built, what's inside, what kind of furniture do they have, what are the space suits like, what is the food like? How does this inform the way that they can conduct their work, how they bring culture up there, the systems in place, who's allowed to go, who's not allowed to go because of these different designed objects in zero gravity? And how everything flips on its head once you get to space. So, as a designer, an artist, someone who loves to make things, this entire process changes in zero G. So with food, it's fluid dynamics. Do you need to be strapped to the wall while you eat or while you conduct to your work? This was my entry point as a designer.
Speaker 1: Do they have models on the ground of the space station for you to kind of conceptualize or do you have to go based on renderings and cat and photos.
Speaker 3: For me, I was going off of photos when I started this investigation. So I was looking at things online and interviewing people and a lot of anecdotal insights from astronauts just to describe in their own words what this space looked like. And then testing came later when I joined a new research lab and started to have access to things like zero G flights.
Speaker 1: There must be so much velcrow, right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of velcrow. Everything's strapped down. But one of my favorite stories about the ISS, it actually didn't even include a dining table at first. So it was just thought that these humans almost treated like robots. We're just gonna go up there, float around, velcrow their food to the walls, strap themselves to the walls while they ate. And of course, naturally human beings want to gather. They want to have a place to come together and enjoy this very limited break in their day. And so one day an astronaut just found some scrap piece of material and strapped it to the wall to make a table, which really has no practical use in space, as you say, like you need valkro, you can't just have something sitting on a table. But still it was this human nature to have some kind of design intervention or a meal and for socializing with their fellow crewmates.
Speaker 1: As you can see, this is an open concept. I imagine that your work has to encompass anthropology, technology, physiology, gastro entyrology fromtology like it must involve so many different disciplines. Coming from an artistic background, is that part of what is exciting about it is that kind of learning and tinkering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed I borrow pieces from all of these different fields ologies to create something new.
Speaker 1: What are they eating up there? In general? I always feel like if you grew up, you know, pre two thousand, like you might have heard of astronauts drink and a lot of tangs do some things you do in space. They drank Tang. They mixed it like this in a zero G punch because with no gravity it would fly all over.
Speaker 3: You don't have that problem.
Speaker 1: So Tang was born in nineteen fifty seven. It was created by food daddy William Mitchell, who also made such frankin foods as cool Whip, Quickset, Jello and the eternally baffling pop Rocks. Now the parent company General Foods had military contracts, no surprise, and in tests shelf stable Tang with its sugar multed extra and vitamin C helped mask the taste of the space capsule water supply. So in the early nineteen sixties, Tang was sent into space and John Glenn thus became an astro influencer, and tank took off like a rocket. Now, in twenty thirteen, NASA's Apollo eleven buzz Aldrin astronaut publicly stated during an awards show, Tang sucks. When you sort of started this and you started logging, okay, like, how are they eating? What are they eating now? What was the baseline? What were they eating?
Speaker 3: The history of space food is so fascinating that the different space agencies have their own dining modules or their own cooking equipment, So NASA and the European Space Agency seem to share different systems for preparing food on the ground to go up to space, and then how do you actually prepare the food in space? So originally it was canned, which is extremely heavy and not the most practical, although it is a mode of preserving food. But this is heavy and costly to actually get to space. So at some point we're creating freeze dried foods. So this is just a dried food like Tang, but it's not always powdered form. It usually looks more like a sponge. I actually have some sitting in front of me right now. So it's a burger paddy that's been snapped in half and packed into this plastic wrap with all of the liquid removed from it, so it weighs practically nothing. A tiny circle of velcrow on the side, so an astronaut could attach it to a wall, and there's a barcode on it. Because astronauts are everything that they eat is monitored from the ground, so they would scan in what they eat so that their nutritionists could supervise this for them. And it tells you how much water to add, So there's a little spout on the top of the package, and they would attach it to something called the rehydration station, which is on the International Space Station. It's something almost like ninety or ninety nine percent of the water that's used is recycled from human urine, human perspiration, and then that gets processed and you put that back into your food as a warmer hot water, and then let it sit and cut the package open with scissors and eat it directly from the bag. So a lot of these foods are modeled that MREs, which are military rations.
Speaker 1: So quick background, given the astronomical shipping costs to destination orbit, the price to ship water up there is roughly eighty three thousand dollars per gallon, So you got to recycle, folks. The International Space Station's WPA, or water processor assembly, involves harvesting water vapor, and then that's in conjunction with a UPA, which is short for urine processor assembly. Don't you dare, wretch, don't do it. I hate to break it to you. Where do you think your water comes from a huge sparklets barrel in heaven? No, dude, your nw gene is filled with liquid that used to be frog snot and cruise ship toilets and elephant tiers. So, according also to a twenty twenty three space dot Com article titled NASA just recycled ninety eight percent of all astronaut p and sweat on the ISS and engineers are thrilled. The end result of this water reclamation is far superior to what municipal water systems produce on the ground. So yeah, if you drink a glass of earthling tap water with your MRI or meal ready to eat, it is technically grosser than what they eat miles above the planet. They're like, it's war chow exactly, do it right, shut up and chow down exactly.
Speaker 3: But today it's different. There's I think Lavazza sent up an espresso machine because the coffee is again just powdered like an instant coffee. You add water. Another company called Zeroty Kitchen sent up an oven so they could bake the first cookie. And space there's lots of people who are trying to help these poor astronauts with food.
Speaker 1: When we're talking like first space flights, I imagine this wasn't even a concern for decades because they were up and back pretty quickly. Right right, when did they even start worrying about like you're going to need a snack?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I guess it would be around the Apollo era when astronauts started going to space for longer term and they would actually need to bring days of food supply and keep it in their capsule with them. And then now the food plants are changing even more where the current food system is supposed to last five years, and they have the Deep Space Food program at NASA at least to start to think about what is food for Mars and what are the challenges associated with preparing those foods. How will different space environment conditions impact the food? Will it degrade? Will the color, a texture, nutrition value change? For these trips where the return date is not even known.
Speaker 1: So the Deep Space Food Challenge concluded in twenty twenty four and the three winners were a professor and student team from UC Riverside who invented no lux which means without light to grow plants and fungi in a dark little chamber using acetate to stimulate growth instead of light. And another winner of this challenge was this nifty contraption called SATED which stands for safe appliance, tidy, efficient and delicious okay, and it uses centrifugal force to press food against a heated cylinder, thus enabling the layering of foods such as the coveted slice of zaw in space. But the grand prize of the Deep Space Food Challenge went to this Florida team who created something called NUCLEUS. Again they love an acronym. It stands for nutritional closed loop Eco unit system and that helps farm greens and vegetables and edible bugs with minimal effort from the crew. It's kind of a set it and forget it ron Popeel situation. At that point, are they trying to terraform and grow, you know, Matt Damon potatoes in a bubble.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm sitting in a room and I don't know if I'm on a set of a science fiction film or if I'm actually in a real science meeting, because you think, is this really what's happening right now? There's the veggie project on the ISS that's growing fresh ingredients in space, but these are really just herbs and little pieces of lettuce that are more for emotional well being. To add a sprig to your food. It's unrealistic that an astronaut could truly sustain themselves off of what is possible to grow in space, at least with what technology we have now.
Speaker 1: And this suitcase sized ISS garden launched in twenty fourteen, and it's grown mizuna mustard, red Russian kale, some edible Zinia flowers, and some Chinese cabbage. So it's just nice to have a sprig here and there. But it is no hometown buffet salad bar, because you are very far from a hometown and NASA does not have the budget for all you can eat. Also, hometown buffet doesn't even exist anymore since the start a COVID people were knocked down with just a plexiglass sneeze guard. So America's favorite unlimited cafeteria experience went belly up. Did do you have to look through a lot of research on what did the astronauts say? Were they like this is dog shit? Like I couldn't even eat this?
Speaker 3: So for me, it was more interviews anecdotal reports from astronauts, mostly Lisa NASA astronauts, and oftentimes when interviewing them, they sort of start off by saying, you know, food doesn't matter. This was my life dream to go to space. I was perhaps trained in the military, and it's no concern for me because I'm just in space.
Speaker 1: I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 3: But then you get a little bit deeper into the conversation and then the complaining starts. It's horrible and they don't have anywhere to put their food waste, so they get this tremendous food fatigue because they have to eat their food out of this plastic and they can't just throw it out because it could raw or even you know, combust, so they actually have to lick all of the packages clean after every single meal. There's no fridge to store their leftovers. One Italian astronaut, Paulinispali, told me the chocolate's horrible, So he's complaining about the chocolates and the truth comes out eventually.
Speaker 1: If you're thirsty for more tea made from used water, let's peer into the September twenty twenty five article from Frontiers in Psychology titled Food Acceptability and Selection by Astronauts on International Space Station Mission Informed Strategies and Risks for Deep Space Exploration, which surveyed fifteen astronauts on the International Space Station. What are some takeaways? The breakfast foods and the lack of vegetables sucked the most and quote astronauts limited their menu selections to personal favorites early in the mission and did not consume foods they did not like, a habit that could compromise nutritional intake. And this is nothing new. As far back as the nineteen sixty three Mercury flight, astronaut L. Gordon Cooper was served the first freeze dried meals, and through his thirty four mission he ate only seven hundred of the twenty four hundred calories available to him. So space food is that the ultimate appetite suppressant? Unfortunately sometimes yes. So the twenty seventeen study Initial Assessment of the nutritional quality of the space food system over three years of ambient storage in the journal Microgravity indicated that potassium, calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K concentrations in space food may not be adequate even before storage, and then during storage they observed the degradation of it, so decreases in certain vitamins just from sitting around. And there was a twenty twenty five article in Nature titled Feeding the Cosmos, Tackling Personalized Space Nutrition and the Leaky Gut Challenge, And I was like what? And that found evidence that suggested increased intestinal permeability referred to as leaky gut syndrome, which further disrupts nutrient absorption and immune regulation. How does one fix that? The authors propose bioengineering some really nutrient dense crops, adding antioxidants to the meals, and tailoring foods two specific astronauts genomes. Now, if there were a YELP for NASA, what would the reviews say? We're lucky? Because in that food acceptability study, I mentioned before. Astronauts, who were identified anonymously, I guess so as not to hurt anyone's feelings, dished up their real thoughts, and one remarked, there are not enough vegetables and fruit and these go fast. Too much nuts, and too much soup, so we're always down to just soup and nuts. Haha, they said, because vegetables and fruit get eaten more quickly. Astronaut B said, I have noticed that items are becoming a bit dull variety, and new foods at this point in the mission is a most welcome addition. Jay begged for sauces, saying almost everything could benefit from condom. Astronaut BE again submitted some remarks, hmm, it read like the confessional booth on a reality show. I'm living for them, bitching that I have a crew member that is eating a specific diet because of their food choices, we burn through many of the foods I like very quickly. The perceived variety is reduced and the repetition of food selections is increased. This specific diet by one crew member, they said, has an adverse effect on the rest of the crew. So imagine someone stealing your kische from the employee frigid work, but you are two hundred and fifty miles above your home planet. You share a cubicle that smells like gym shorts, and you have to drink each other's pea. I would have gone on an untethered space walk by like day three. I'm out. Did you have to eat any of it?
Speaker 3: I have eaten some of it. I have a personal collection of space food with me at all times. I have actually have something. I have a few really special ones. I'm waiting for the day. I don't know this one I'm holding right now. It's from March twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: It's steak.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's actually not freeze dried. It kind of feels like a piece of rubber. So I'm waiting for a special day to open that, and it may or may not be eaten if I'm next to a hospital.
Speaker 1: Ooh, okay, the ice cream sandwiches that we used to get it like Discovery Zone centers and things like that. Do they like them up there? Can they eat the whole thing? Do they eat them up there?
Speaker 3: So that is not really space food, which is probably know, it's very disappointing news. I actually did a school presentation on space ice cream I think in grade two, which life is full circle. But that is a demonstration of the freeze drying technology. But at least it would not be eaten in that form because it has to be rehydrated otherwise, these little crumb flyways. If you've ever actually had a chance to eat these ice cream bars or freeze dried ice cream, it crumbles almost as soon as you take a bite into it. So those little fly ways in the space station are highly problematic. I live the lot.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's say that you have a couple of bars in your pantry, which, to be honest, I do because for some reason, I've always loved dehydrated ice cream bars. I don't know why, if there's just nostalgia, or if it's just like when else can you eat chalk? But should I be rehydrating that in hot water and then eating it as a goopy mess to really get the astronaut experience. I will report back on this ice cream rehydration experiment later in the episode. It's soaking right now, but for now, expeditions to the International Space Station usually last about six months, and it's a joint operation between Europe, the United States, Russia, Canada and Japan. Now the craft itself, the ISS is around the size of a football field inside, though the habitable area is thirteen thousand cubic feet, which is about thirteen hundred square feet, or the size of a small, one story three better house. Typically there are seven crew members on the ISS at a time, but as they're swapping out, or if you get marooned up there, which happens, there might be more. The record is thirteen at once, thirteen people in a three bedroom house, all breathing each other's air, vying for one fresh arugula leaf, drinking lukewarm instant coffee. So if you're out there, if you have two roommates and you're eating a can of progresso for dinner, you're living the high life.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Speaking of canned food, Maggie is giving me more of a show and tell here, which I would take any day over a taste and smell.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not the kind of can you would feel comfortable actually opening and eating. Wow, it's from the European Space Agency, braised calf cheeks with vegetables and balsamic vinegar sauce. So I think the European Space Agency maybe has a different take on the menu than NASA, but NASA they do have scrambled eggs. It looks like your dish sponge, so it's cube of yellow that you add water and eat. They have tariaki chicken. I think that's super popular. Apparently the fish is not a fan favorite because your crewmates don't enjoy the smell. It's a tiny capsule, so you can imagine that anything you eat or heat up and open is going to, you know, add its own special aromas into this shared space. I recently encountered Jacks's menus, that's the Japanese Space Agency, and I decided, if I'm going to space, I'm signing up for their menu. All of the foods are made from different research institutes and universities, so I think already that's just adding a lot of flavor and excitement. And they have soy glazed eel and fried chicken and all sorts of different mochi desserts.
Speaker 1: I'm on board, but to file under the only thing in the world improving in twenty twenty five is European Space Agency astronauts. Sofie I don't knows personal space selections, so she tapped the world's most Michelin starred, an internationally lauded female chef, and Sophie Peak to craft the bonus food items she'll get up there, and they include foie gras cream on, toasted brioche with candied lemon, lobster bisk with crab and caraway parsnip, veilute with curry and smoked haddock. So to the long list of spacecraft words that I don't know, add velute. Actually take that back, because I looked it up and it's a buttery savory gravy that means mother sauce, which probably sounds much more elegant and French. Now. Other international bonus items have included maple cookies for a Canadian, rice with beef flavored stew and mackerel with karaoke sauce for Japanese crew members, and beef ravioli and beef strogging off with noodles for the US team. I'm surprised that there's so much beef. Did that surprise you at all? Like what sources of food were selected?
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be my take, but I think it actually didn't surprise me. It felt like, okay, this is again sort of telling of how at least the current NASA menu is being designed and for who protein is probably important in space, not that you can't get that from vegetarian food or other options, but it did seem quite Yeah, meat heavy, chicken.
Speaker 1: Beef, Yeah, like meat and potatoes.
Speaker 3: Like a kind of classic American menu. Yeah, and the most you know, internationals as I said, like karaokey chicken. But it's still kind of an American take on that dish.
Speaker 1: And so you mentioned something about fish smells, and I know that your work deals with the aromas that we might be missing on Earth, and this sounds of cooking. Do this senses work similarly or is there anything that's blunted.
Speaker 3: It's very different at least from what astronauts report. You know, if you're having lunch at the office versus your home versus a beautiful beach backdrop, your experience of eating is going to change. It might not be something that we think about. So eating food and this tiny capsule that's louder and smaller than an airplane is already not the best place to start. There's physiological changes in the body happening to astronauts, so it's something they call space face. So they almost look like not quite like a chipmunk, but their cheeks puff up, so they have fluids are rising in the body in zero G, so they have a bit of congestion in their face, which affects how they can smell and how they can taste. Some astronauts reported that it was almost like if you have a cold and you can't really taste your food or things just taste a little bit off. And then the second thing is just the environment of space. So well, first you're eating something out of a plastic bag, including your coffee, drinking from a straw, so you're not having this experience of sipping your coffee, feeling the warmth on your face. The aromas are rising, all these different things. Astronauts tell us that this space station smells like a gym walcker because it's this tiny space. I mean, I already described how their water is made from urine in perspiration. When they have to work out for hours of the day, what do you do with your sweaty shirt. You can't just dry it or wring it out, so they'll often hang them in front of the ventilation systems. Oh it daar, there's lots going on.
Speaker 1: So a recent article titled What does the International Space Station Smell Like? Published by The Hill, divulged that former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly likened the odor to a jail he once visited, describing it as a combination of aniseptic garbage and body odor. He said, we use deodorant, we wipe rinse off shower, but there's a little body odor going on for sure. He continued, Mostly it's just exercise clothes people wear for a couple of weeks without washing. He also added per the article that in zero G bodily smells such as farts, tend to linker. I should note that on all of the menus that I looked at, I only saw beans once.
Speaker 3: Oo.
Speaker 1: I can absolutely feel and smell that and almost taste it, which is so it's so challenging, But it's a dream, so I totally get that. But at the same time, you you really have to make sure that morale is up in order to perform well.
Speaker 3: Right, So there's the stereotype that seems to be true that astronauts love hot sauce, and I think that's that's one of the reasons just to try to add salt, add hot sauce to boost boost that flavor.
Speaker 1: When it comes to those smells and the sounds too. I think one thing that's really interesting about your work is you know you've been on these flights to test out cooking, and I'm like, oh, is there cooking in space? I always figured that they were just like eating like granola bar or which are too crummy. But I didn't even think about the preparation, Like where does the preparation come into it.
Speaker 3: The preparation at present is mostly on the ground. So yeah, all this food is prepared in different lab contexts andckaged and probably put into some kind of quarantine tested, and then goes to space. Even the vegetable project I referenced earlier, where they're growing herbs and different things in space to see how it works. The astronauts usually aren't allowed to eat them, and even like touching them or interacting with them is extremely restricted. I mean, I won't get into toileting on this conversation, but you can imagine there's a whole long list of challenges to do with that in zero gravity. So they're very concerned with astronauts getting sick, getting food poisoning in space, because what would you do? So for that reason, most food is not actually prepared in space.
Speaker 1: Join me if you will. In reading the twenty thirteen NBC News article Vomit in Space, astronaut tells why It's not so easy, which number one wrongly assumes that I thought it'd be easy, But it continues that TLDR they have really good double sealed barf bags, and a twenty twenty two pop Side article took a downtown with the piece what happens if you get diarrhea in space? The thesis is the vacuum toilt per usual plus amodium or the more wearable solution a space diaper. And you've created something that's like a helmet where you can actually smell and feel your food more right, Like, how did that design come about?
Speaker 3: My space food helmet came about because I was going to go on this zero gravity flight, and because I was working with food and liquids and small edible things. They were concerned that this could get in the way of other people's experiments because this was a research flight. So we had I think around twenty different engineers and scientists on this flight, all conducting quite serious science experiments, and they wanted me to have a glove box, which is commonly used in science. So it is basically what it sounds like. It's a box, a clear box with gloves where you can insert your hands and then you don't actually put your hands inside the box, because you're really putting your hands inside the gloves inside the box. If that makes sense, yeah, And then you can see yourself conducting the experiment. Everything is very contained and sterile and scientific. I didn't want to use this because it didn't really make sense for food. How could I eat because my face is over here, my hands are over here. So then I decided I will just make a glove box around my face, and this became the space food helmet where I had and I also just had this vision of myself almost like a goldfish, like, you know, trying to catch my food with my mouth. So I had this giant aquarium. Actually found this aquarium supplier manufacturer who produced these different sizes of clear domes and spheres, and so I ordered one for my face and then three D printed this harness so I could, yeah, put my hands inside and they couldn't say no to me because I followed all the rules. Was a slightly different format. They just wanted to make sure that I had it. I had to practice my helmet removal strategy, so if I started choking and zero G, I could have this quick release or throw, you know, if I threw up, which is common on the vomit comet.
Speaker 1: What the vomit comment.
Speaker 3: I had an amazing time. I think everybody on that flight was my mouth. I've never smiled so big in my life. I was smiling ear to ear. It was such a blast. I mean, there's twenty parabolas, so the plane is, you know, going in this parabolic maneuver, pitching down at forty five degrees and then up at forty five degrees, and then you have experience zero G and HyperG at the base of those problems, and HyperG is also wild experience. I think that's around one point eight G. So you feel like you're at the bottom of the ocean floor. You have to quickly get to the bottom of the plane, lie yourself down. You can barely move your head. You feel like you have the weight of the world on you. A friend described it to me like if you ever had one of those dreams where you feel like someone's pinning you down, it kind of feels a little bit like that so you have that and then all of a sudden you start floating, and then you have to take advantage of this thirty second moment in weightlessness to conduct different aspects of your experiment. So I designed mine around a tasting menu, so these small bites of things that I could smell something, hear something, taste something at these different moments of weightlessness.
Speaker 1: What did you gather from that research, like what worked and what didn't.
Speaker 3: I think what I gathered was what you can do in thirty seconds of weightlessness is unsurprisingly very limited, so that was a huge challenge. I also gathered that being a weightlessness is a lot of fun and it's so fascinating, but just having to relearn how you use your body for the most basic of tasks, including eating, including switching a knob, turning on your camera, how you position your elbows, and it's just a really surreal experience, almost like being a baby and trying to learn how to walk. Your legs are not needed, which is also really interesting to think about accessibility in space and things that are useful here on earth are not necessary in a zerog and so you get to think through all of these ways of existing differently. So that's like the holistic experience that I took from it, and then just the pure joy and playfulness that at least through this experiment we were able to bring to it, which I think when you look at an astronaut's schedule, their entire days planned into these fifteen minute increments of different tasks and operations. Their time is so valuable. When they're up there on space, they barely have time to do anything. And so for experiment, same thing. It had to be line by line, exactly what you're going to do, but can we intervene and leave room for mistakes and leave room for improvisation.
Speaker 1: During one of Maggie's food tests on that zero G parabolic flight horribly nicknamed the Vomit Comet, she wanted to see if eating rehydrated meals while listening to the sounds of crackling frying food improved the experience, or if smelling aromas of food enhanced the bland taste.
Speaker 3: And then with astronauts, I conducted some on Earth taste tests and interviews with virtual reality to kind of customize these different experiences. For one astronaut who grew up near an apple orchard, they wanted to have this experience of eating outside, So could they you know, eat something freeze dried while using this virtual reality to kind of have this nostalgic feeling of being back on Earth And at least in this context of this experiment, they you know, it was highly effective and at least like evoke these stories and helped draw out what the importance of culture and ritual and food was for them in an environment where that's not always part of the discussion.
Speaker 1: Do they eat less up there or more up there because they're going through so many calories like exercising to keep their muscle mass and phone density, Like do they need to eat more? Like is it important for them to keep their appetite.
Speaker 3: I think they're eating less up there because they're reporting to experience this food fatigue for all the reasons that we you know, generally unpleasant. There's another story I love of this. These twin astronauts, Scott and Mark Kelly. One went to space, one was an astronaut, did not go to space, and they wanted to conduct this really interesting genetic study on these individuals because they were identical twins, so really understanding what happens to the body in space compared to you know, the second version of yourself on Earth, and they wanted the twin who did not get to go to space to have eat the identical menu to his brother, and he said, absolutely not. There is no way if I'm not going to space, there's no way or force them to eat that food. So there were some gaps in the being able to understand like what really happens to the body with this diet. But I think that they're heavily monitored and encouraged to eat specific things, and each each meal lists the calories that I'm sure is customized for the astronaut and their body type, And they would do lots of different testing on Earth before they went to space to understand their metabolism and working with nutritionists and different consultants, which I think can be quite frustrating.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure. I think that putting that kind of restriction on yourself when there's not necessarily like a primal need to is really difficult.
Speaker 3: Food is so personal, right, How do we give autonomy to human beings in space? How do we let people make decisions around their own health and well being in an environment that's incredibly controlled because you have to jump through all these fops, so much bureaucracy, so many safety protocols, which I sometimes call these excuses, and how can we find ways around that that include a bit more personality or something different. Yeah, and that's incredibly exciting.
Speaker 1: What are some of those restrictions, Like, what are some of those excuses that you came up against.
Speaker 3: I just think the level and this isn't necessarily an excuse. I think a lot of this very much is legitimate and necessary. Designing the experiments, I had to log every detail to the type of ink that was in my pen that I was using to label, the glue, that the precise tape that I was using. Of course, like the materials if I was thre d printing something, because they want to understand, you know, how these materials might interact with something else. Is it flammable, is it toxic? Could it produce an aroma? So, in the case of the experiment I sent to the space station at the very last minute, somebody when it was just about to be loaded into the SpaceX rocket it was like, it's producing some smell and we're very concerned. And then I had to remind them, like, this is a food product, so it does smell a little bit. But it's not just concerning This is fermentation.
Speaker 1: It is food. Can I ask some questions from listeners because they had some really good ones? Okay, but before we hear you questions, let's donate to a cause of theologists choosing this week. Maggie chose astroaccess dot org, which is a project dedicated to promoting disability inclusion and human space exploration and since it's founding in twenty twenty one, astro Access has conducted five microgravity missions in which astro Access ambassadors, disabled scientists, veterans, students, athletes, and artists perform demonstrations on board parabolic flights with the Zero Gravity Corporation and astro Access says, if we can make space accessible, we can make any space accessible. So a donation will go to astroaccess dot org thanks to Maggie and sponsors of the show.
Speaker 2: Hey Mark, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm not great sore throat.
Speaker 2: I think I'm coming down to cold aw. No, you should try a Vogel sore throat spray. It's a natural remedy with ecination and sage and can treat symptoms of coals and flus, including source roats.
Speaker 1: Perfect I give that a try.
Speaker 2: So we leave sore throats symptoms with a vogel a Quena four sore throat spray made from echinationa on sage herbs. I'm designed to reach irritated parts of the throat. Available from stores on pharmacies nationwide.
Speaker 3: Always read the leaflet.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's float. Some Patreon questions to Maggie MJ. First time question asker Sleepy John, Kandell, Olivia Ford, Sonia Bird, Curtis dog Inastasia, Press Cedar, Lauren Harder, Glitter Tornado, Ashley Buford, and HC wanted to know. HC asked has there ever been a vegan person in space before? MJ was like, first time question asker are astronauts do they have anything specialized for food allergies or religious purposes? Wanted to know is it just too bad so sad for these guys? Sleepy John asked how do they handle food allergies? How do they minimize things? Olivia asked to avoid things that might cause dietary discomfort that can't be comfortable in space, So, yeah, do you have to take that into consideration or is it really like, yo, you want to be an astronaut, you better not be seliac.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's that strict. I think things have defin improved. There are quite a few menu options. I mean, peanut butter is easy to avoid. But let's say it was something like soy or something else that could be integrated into other products, that would be probably pretty difficult. And I think this is where ethics really come into play, is especially for you know, thinking about deep space missions, whether that's Mars or even just return to the Moon or long term space missions of another nature. Can you select people based on their ability to tolerate certain foods and different conditions. And I'm not sure what the resolution on that is, but I think it's super complex.
Speaker 1: So bad news speakan's non dairy folks, egg allergists. NASA is knocked down with your dietary restrictions, kind of like an elderly ant on Thanksgiving. They're like, it's too hard, I'd have to make too many dishes. Not everyone wants to eat. But people and space agencies can evolve, and in the twenty thirties there is a planned Mars mission that will be all that vegetarian. Why is this Lackheed Martin Senior Research Scientist Maya Cooper told NBC News that meat and dairy don't preserve long enough to take to Mars and that quote bringing a cow on the mission is not an option. And in terms of something like severe celiac that could exacerbate medical conditions through cross contamination, you might literally be shit out of luck.
Speaker 3: Luckily, bread's not popular in space, so it's not so much of an issue.
Speaker 1: Is it too many crumbs?
Speaker 3: Crumbs, too many crumbs. We don't like crumbs in space, apparently, so tortillas are a fan favorite, and I'm sure they have lots of gluten free options for that because you just wrap it up, you can eat it floating.
Speaker 1: You know, a few people asked about tortillas. Meg Chadsey says that they are good friends with someone who was a good friend with Zena Cardman, who's an astronaut commander of the SpaceX Crew eleven mission that launched the Issis August, and they have it on good authority that tortillas are a hot commodity up there for their practicality, but they're not currently able to ask Zina if space has been giving her any weird cravings. So tortillas are indeed a popular item up there they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you can, I mean a tortillas, a wrap, it's a plate, it's a vessel. You can do anything with a tortilla.
Speaker 1: That makes so much more sense than instead of like a yeah, like sour dough is not happening up there, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they I mean, tortilla last a long time, they pack flat. Genius, Yeah, genius tortillas solving space problems?
Speaker 1: Do you ever find that people have cravings? Anastasia press Odyssemus Odyssmus, Peter Scheiss Heckwin and Michael a terrier mind wanted to know if there have been recorded instances of astronauts who have rogue cravings. Michael wanted to know.
Speaker 3: Rogue cravings sounds very extreme. I mean you definitely hear the classic craving for a cold beer. I think a lot of people could relate to that. But I think cold things in general are craved because this rehydration station, it's hot water, it's warm water, it's room temperature water, but there's not really access to a refrigerator. And I never thought about that until it was described to me. And you know, cold food might not be for everyone, but a refreshing drink or just like something chili and fresh things of course, all fresh foods, lettuce, biting into something fresh, those are all extremely limited. Chocolate, ice cream, real ice cream, pizza. It's like basic stuff.
Speaker 1: The chocolate. Yeah, the chocolate is interesting to me. I should get back to that. But Joshua Martin the first time question chasker asked, are you allowed to have a beer in space? And you get hammered off of two SIPs? Do they even allow it up there? Or are they?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you know how expensive this machinery is. You're not being buzzed using it.
Speaker 3: There's got to be some contraband things. I mean, our people. No one's told me anything. NASA astronauts will not tell me anything. But I think they get asked all the time. Is there booze? There has to be booze? And then you know, do the cosmonauts bring up vodka and everyone wants to know? But beer, I think no. I think canned you know, carbonated beverages are a little bit challenging in space and alcohol generally speaking. Yeah, I don't think they like working and drinking up there. Yeah, maybe one day.
Speaker 1: I'm sure cosmonauts looks like water.
Speaker 3: Looks like water, Yeah.
Speaker 1: One European Space Agency astronaut actually complimented the chef, saying during a feedback survey interview that we all agreed that we are enjoying this food, but we have no doubt that it would taste much better if we had some wine with it as well. But booze is verboten now, although in July of nineteen sixty nine buzz Aldrin took some Communion wine with him aboard Apollo eleven. But in terms of contraband just a side note, it's not worth it, just as Gemini three astronaut John W. Young, who confessed that quote I hit a sandwich in my spacesuit was corned. Beef went to space, the crumbs went everywhere, But back to booze. It's not just drunk piloting or regrettable social media content at stake here. The chemistry of alcohol could throw the whole water recovery system at a whack. So don't even think of smuggling a wine cooler or mouth wash or aftershave or perfume with you, no matter how much stink needs masking. But without red wine, how are you going to justify a treat for antioxidants in twenty twenty three, there was a Danish astronaut who developed chocolate bars called Spacecrafted alongside a food scientist, and on the ingredient list where dark chocolate and nearly seventy other natural ingredients such as seaweed, kale, probiotics, magnesium. He didn't just bring his own, though, he packed seventy five to share with his crewmates, which is like a stellar way to win over office people that you'll be very close with for half a year. Oh. On that note, Maren Molly wanted to know, they said, Danish astronaut Andrea S. Morganson brought specialty chocolate bars to the ISS on his twenty twenty three mission. I'm curious to know more about those than the ingredients. Apparently he also made chocolate moose for his crew during the mission. Do certain astronauts say like I gotta have this particular chocolate, Like is it tough to just bring up a Snickers or something?
Speaker 3: But there's always like a technical term for things, so I think they call them like crew select items. Oh, so they get their choose from their menu, which it could be one hundred or so items, and then they have a few items which they can like grocery store items. They just have to pass certain tests that they can be repackaged appropriately or meet the safety standard needs. So they get a little a little sum make them feel special.
Speaker 1: They get a tiny treat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tiny treat. It's like being a kid. You're good in the car ride. You can have this later.
Speaker 1: So Brian Schananigans wanted to know. I realized this may be superficial and silly, but what about treats? Sometimes you just want a piece of cake. Gosh darn it, would this be considered a luxury food and therefore not offered? Does it help morale?
Speaker 3: It definitely helps morale. I mean, I don't think sadly. You can get that piece of cake whenever you want it. That's life up there right now. But maybe one day. I know they sent like Hognau's bars or Magnum bars. I don't know what kind they were, but these ice cream bars they got sent up to space in a freezer because there was a freezer going up. Oh maybe with some blood samples. Like when a freezer is going up to the space station with something for science, because that's the priority. If there's space, they might just sneak something in there for the astronauts. But then when I was talking to one of the astronauts who was complaining about that again because they apparently they gave them only the tiny versions, not the full sized versions. They thought that was really cheap of them. Oh, thanks for the and here we go. I hope you're hungry for nothing.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of the Expanse the Expanse books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've also I actually have not read them, and I have it's a TV show. Also, as far as I know, always it okay, it's.
Speaker 1: Sitl let's see. Colby Evans says the Expanse books give a lot of page time to bulbs of coffee and asked if that is already a thing, and Alison D said, there are some fictional instances of space food. Are there any fictional instances of space food done right? For example, there is kibble as a presumably low cost shelf stable option in the Expanse books. It's not described in much detail beyond color. There's a red and a white one. But yeah, Alison D is curious about your thoughts about space kibble.
Speaker 3: Space kibble. It does like dog food, isn't it kibble?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like if?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I have a dog on earth, Right, she could be eating different things every day, but we feed her, you know, frozen pucks, right, thowed frozen pucks and she's fine. The vet is like, this is great for her. Is there any reason why human beings couldn't just be like, here's your puck with sweet potato and chicken. Have a good life.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's kind of what they're doing right now, which is a bit sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like kind of what it is. But I've never heard of these coffee bulbs. Sounds beautiful. Yeah right, I'll have that here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, a coffee bulb does sound like just walking down the street with like it. It sounds like it would have a good hand feel.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, louck it off a tree? Right?
Speaker 1: What about different like cultural recipes or things that make them feel connected to their home or make them feel more like themselves. This was also on the minds of Rachel Bayer a Ortega, Nick read Storm, Fire Goddess, Gabby Ashimacute, Alga Gemmon, Marion Malling, Charlotte Parkinson, Picky Eater, Warlock full Time who subsists on various cruels. Nick Reid and brain shenanigans Oh and Gibiha Semetier wanted to know about cultural considerations and personal preferences and if food choices change based on the crew. Is there anything about that, you know, let's say that you really miss your mom's curry.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I think there's been a few stories that resonated with me. There was Kimchi has been to space. I know that there was with the first Korean astronaut. Kimchi was especially prepared and freeze dride, so it wasn't a living, fermented food, but it was you know, understood that this is something of extreme cultural significance and should figure out a way for it to go to space. In another instance, with JACKSA, the Japanese Space Agency, an astronaut wanted to bring sukura flower, not as food, but a sukura flower to space to remind them of home, and it wasn't allowed to bring this flower. So they used a traditional method of preserving this flower, insult and almost disguising it as a food product so that it could be snuck into the menu and then it could arrive in space like this. Oh yeah, it's really beautiful. There's a picture of the astronaut with this floating flower and this sphere staring lovingly gazing at it, floating and weightlessness. And then some of this is food diplomacy too. I mean, in the case of Kim Chee, it's I hope that the astronaut enjoyed it, but I think it's also decisions from these governments and these space agencies to also make a statements and bring culture with intention to the space station.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, several people wanted to know about equipment. Sean Thomas Kane, Agamemnon, Katrina, Victoria Chaplin, Sheridan Kelly, Caffeine Junkie wanted to know. Katrina asked, how do they heat food in space? So have a microwave that would probably interfere with some sensitive equipment or something, right, Katrina asked, yeah. Agamemnon said, like, how do they make things hot? Sean wanted to know do electric or gas stovetops? Are they even used in space? Is it all just kind of hot water based?
Speaker 3: Good question? Today it is mostly water based. I think there was this old school method. They had this device. It looked like a briefcase, like truly and you'd open it up almost like this panini press slash briefcase where you would put your food inside, add these heat pads and you would close the briefcase, wait you know a minute, open it up and eat your food. Or in the old can days, I think there was even this little hole where you could insert the can and maybe you would heat up around the can. But today it's mostly mostly water, so no stovetops, no frying, none of those things.
Speaker 1: Sadly so yes, because there's no gravity to influence the heat rising, the cool air settling, and the high energy draws could like pop a fuse. Ovens have been tough. Also food floats. There was an experimental zero G kitchen oven used to bake chocolate chip cookies via kind of a bizarre branding deal with Double Tree Hotel, but that was experimental ovens back on Earth, and there are some pouch warmers in use, but for now nothing appetizing. Although once again that twenty twenty four Deep Space Food Challenge did come up with the prototype of a centrivical canister oven, and while the name SATED meaning safe, appliance, tidy, efficient, and delicious, could have benefited from an artist's collaboration with perhaps a poet or some punch up from a marketing copywriter. It does mean that humankind took one giantly toward fresh brownies in space. Not there yet, but we're getting closer. But with the space food race, China recently whipped our asses, releasing a video of astronauts on their Tangong space station using a new onboard hot air oven, which is like a very advanced and expensive air fryer. They were making chicken wings. They look really good.
Speaker 3: I would love a toaster like pop your toast and then it floats up into zero G.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's got to be a tortilla toast.
Speaker 3: And just like a little flying discs.
Speaker 1: Kind of like it's flying saucers, right yeah. Lynette da Villa val be listening. Curious Nerd wanted to know about hydration. Curious Nerds that I've read that astronauts can become easily dehydrated due to fluid shifts and low water content of food and alterations and physical mechanisms of thirst. Lynette wanted to know do they have to drink extra water because so many things are dried or I imagine too. Having to pee in space is like not the vibe, you know? Do they have to drink a lot more water.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. I'd want to say, yes, it seems logical that they would have to drink more, and they are working out a lot and in this confined space from experience what I know from like arctic fieldwork and speaking to a lot of people who do this kind of work as well, like there's a problem with people almost intentionally or subconsciously dehydrating themselves because, as you said, like going to the bathroom is so inconvenient that you'll try to avoid it at all costs, So you'll like intentionally not water so that you don't have to continuously go through the logistics of peeing. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Which brings me to a question I'm happy and proud to ask on behalf of Katrina, Emily Kreeger, Jesse Cole, and a few other people Meghan Ratcliffe, Kelly Shaver, and BOPI wanted to know. Bobi said, what comes in must go out? My question is does the amount and type of waste created go into consideration of food available? Christina wanted to know does a lack of gravity effect processes like chewing? Let's see Another person asked about paristalsis, but really like to put it simply. Emily Kreeger wanted to know part of my asking, but are cruciferous and other fart inducing foods purposely avoided in space? Jesse said, I heard it smells like farts and bo on the iss. How do they help keep people less gassy?
Speaker 3: The menu is very much designed with that in mind. That being said, everyone's body is different, so right hard to say what's you know, what makes you fart doesn't necessarily make me fart, So it's a little experimental. But the body functions in the same way. When astronauts first went to space, they didn't know if they would even be able to pee or do any of these spasic functions. But in fact, muscles and bodies still have their inner mechanics and things go in and come out. As you said, but the toilet, I heard the toilet's always breaking, so they're very sensitive about that. Yeah, it's not good, so plumber, future career, space plumber. With research stations, they always say, the most important people are not the scientists. They're the people who can you know, the plumber, the electrician, the firefighters, and with the space station, they have to be all those people in one.
Speaker 1: Right, they need more astro trades people exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trades get a certificate and space trades.
Speaker 1: What about the crumbs? How are they picking those up? They don't have a dustbuster out there, right.
Speaker 3: They do have some kind of crazy vacuum because they use it's for shaving, so there's these techniques where you kind of like shave right into the vacuum. And for food, I think it's just try to be clean. You can't have those crumbs actually in my space food helmet. This was a big problem. I didn't think of this. This was a small but large oversight. I had these little kind of like nerd candies if you ever had those. They were these popping, sizzling candies. Because part of my tasting menu was this champagne ritual of just having that or like you can't crack the cold beer, but can you have this fizzing sensation in your mouth. So I opened this container and then all these tiny little candies floating up. They got in my nose, they got in my ear, they got in my hair. I was picking them up for days.
Speaker 1: You're like, that's a no go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like none, we're not very scientific insight.
Speaker 1: You don't know till you try it, right.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah, what planet would you want to have dinner on if you could go?
Speaker 1: I mean, it definitely has to be a frozen planet. I'm an ice queen, like I can't drink a room temperature anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you got to pick accordingly.
Speaker 1: I have to pick accordingly.
Speaker 3: You got to get your space yeady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just have either that are just like exhaust all the urine cubes from the supply. What about where would you go? Would you need hot stuff?
Speaker 3: Would you do a venus? I I'm just I'm a Saturn. I'm a Saturn person all the way. It's just I just want those rings. That's all I care about. I don't even care about anything else. I just I see myself on Saturn. Whatever I'm doing, that's where aldi.
Speaker 1: This is a good question to ask around like the holiday table, where are you gonna eat? Where would you what would you eat?
Speaker 3: And Saturn's like you know those like a sushi restaurant where they have the conveyor belts. Yes, that's me and Saturn.
Speaker 1: They're just going by on the rings. I love that the ring is the conveyor belt. You would just look off like oh corn flakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm lazy.
Speaker 1: Well, what's the hardest thing about doing this? What is just what bedevils you vexes you?
Speaker 3: I think it's convincing people in certain rooms why something matters, and like getting to the heart of a thing, because sometimes it's just like is it practical? Is it efficient? Can we be productive? Instead of like, okay, we're humans? Like it's so basic. But that's the biggest upwards battle for the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is trying to find that Venn diagram of practicality, but also like humanity and enjoying something like reminding yourself you're not a robot, right and.
Speaker 3: It's not since I don't also want to treat space as this frivolous environments and I'm you know, very intentionally not engaging my work and space tourism contexts.
Speaker 1: What happens if Blue Origin is like we're doing five six hour, five day week long trips and they knock on your door to make it fancy as hell.
Speaker 3: Not from Blue Origin, but I've had I have had many knocks on my door and it's been tricky. For example, in one case, I had someone call me their job was astronauts sales. If you can believe it. That was their email signature, and their job was to profile top billionaires around the world to try to figure out of these people, like do they raise cars or are they skydiving? How do they spend their money? Would they potentially be the profile of a person who might buy a ticket on such flights And they thought yes, wow, And they thought that this is a family decision. It's going to cost a lot of money. It's risky. You know, if you have kids or a partner, you're probably gonna have to let them know and they might weigh in. I was making a space food cookbook at the time that was speculative, and they wanted to purchase this book and use this book as part of their sales package to send to the partner and kids of these people to say like, look what your parent is doing space. Look what they're going to get to eat in space. And that was not for me personally. I've collaborated with lots of chefs and I thought, you know, sometimes I think we're working together on these scientific goals, and then finding out later that in fact, this person wanted to open a restaurant in space and quite serious about it, and so we kind of have to like backpedal a little bit, like, oh, we're I didn't realize we're having very different conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure. It's really a weird time to see, you know, innovation and industry and this really really big wealth disparity and who has access to things like this. The division between kind of science and vanity is really interesting, you know.
Speaker 3: And that people can do these things. It's not you know, this job of astronauts sales is an actual legitimate career path now, right, Yeah, And you have to pinch yourself, like, am I sitting in this room right now? But yeah, indeed we are.
Speaker 1: What's the thing that gets you most excited about it? Like what Stowis gives you butterflies is a researcher and an artist.
Speaker 3: I love whimsy, and I think space has so much potential for being whimsical and being imaginative and just stretching my mind in ways that I didn't think were possible. So that that's really exciting in terms of process and then more on like a deeper mission level. I think it's the potential to and I do this, you know, on Earth as well as as I am a nurse, as I am a nurse. I think on my day to day when I'm not dreaming, and like working with scientists and field workers to think about different ways to ask these questions, different ways of integrating knowledge and seeing what that leads to is also very exciting. I've had some fun experiences, that's for sure, and they continue to surprise me every day.
Speaker 1: And it must be fun going out to eat with you, because are probably not someone who just wolf sit down while they're looking at their phone, right, Like, are you always a friend? It's like we have to try this place? They're doing something interesting over here. This is a hidden gem in a strip mall. Are you that friend?
Speaker 3: I am that friend, but I don't know. I think for me, it's more like what's happening in the home. So I like going out to restaurants. It's always exciting, but I'm equally excited. I've been like this since I was a kid, Like I love getting invited to my friend's houses and meeting their grandparents and just seeing how somebody makes their toast, how do you make your tea? How do you cut your lemon? Like there's no right or wrong way to do something, but it's always telling something about that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a personal and immediate type of anthropology.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: For sure, I cook very differently when I'm alone versus when someone else is watching. I don't watch my vegetable like it's good for the micro bio. Don't worry about it. Yeah, exactly, my microwave vegetables that are so soggy, and if I'm tired and hungry enough, I'm like I would never but I will serve them to my own mouth. So exactly totally get it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much for taking the time to let me ask you so many spacey questions.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This has been such a pleasure.
Speaker 1: So ask spectacular people spacey questions because the information is just floating around. It is ready to be consumed. Thank you so much, Maggie for joining and chatting and for more on her work. You can see Maggie Coblentz and follow her online at Maggie Coblentz. And we're at ologies on Blue Sky and Instagram. I'm Ali Ward on both and we have shorter kid friendly episodes called smologis s m O l O g i e S wherever you get podcasts, So download a bunch for your upcoming holiday road trips, tell your friends Ologies merch is at ologiesmerch dot com. You can become patron at patreon dot com slash Ologies again. The link to donate to your favorite charity and a highly effective global one is GiveDirectly dot org slash Ologies. We'll link in the show notes. Aaron Talbert admins Theologies podcast Facebook group. Avelene Mallick makes our professional transcripts Kelly R. Dwyer does the website. Noel Dilworth keeps us down to Earth as a scheduling producer. Susan Hale is our space operations commander as managing director. Susan also did an incredible amount of backup research for this episode. You thank you to Susan Hale. Couldn't have done this one without her, couldn't have done any of them without her. And co pilot editor is Jake Chafe, and driving the editing shuttle is Mercedes Maitland of Maitland. Audio Nick Thorburn banged out the theme song and if you stick around to the end of the episode, I tell you a secret. This week's It's that I could not be less interested in going to space, so consider a slot open first. NASA would have me fill out like the most preliminary survey. One of the questions would be like how much do you have to pee? And I have to check the box like all the time. Secondly, once again, I'm unqualified and I would never pass the psych tests or the drug tests if I'm being honest. He gummy before Thanksgiving. But my secret, my other secret is I'm gonna try this rehydrated ice cream sandwich. I've had it soaking as i've been recording, and don't worry, I'm gonna cut out any sounds of eating. All right, I got you. I'm gonna try this out though right now. That's actually not that bad. I'm being honest with you, completely honest. It just tastes like a melted ice cream sandwich. Wow, how about that? It tastes like when you make ice cream soup. I think I also put a little bit too much room temperature water, not optimal. Use less water. You put this in the fridge. Really not that bad and it doesn't hurt your teeth like eating styrofoam. So if you have astronal ice cream sitting in your cabinet and you feel bad throwing it away because it was a gift, pour a little hot water on that, let it chill in the fridge. You got yourself a medium cold ice cream sandwich. Good to know, okay, pacodermictolage, homeology, crypto zoology, lithology, Yeah, Technology, meteorology, at batology, nampology, seriology, pileology.
Speaker 3: I need some space.