Speaker 1: Hey Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, I'm sorry I sound like very white today, but I've got a cold, so I got some sexy flam going on. Sorry. So, a drunk staggers into a Catholic church and sits down in a confession booth and he says nothing, And the priest you know, is waiting for something and gives a little coffica, and the guy still says nothing. He taps on the window, the door or whatever, and the guy still says nothing. And then he taps a little bit louder. He knocks a little louder, and he hears this voice say it's no use. There's no toilet paper over here either.
Speaker 3: I've been to that church.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to security this week. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Patrick Kines and Dwayne Laflotte, and we got a few stories here. This one Reuter's is reporting I ran linked hackers breach FBI director's personal email, published photos and documents. So from the headline, is it published photos and documents like it breaches those or publishes photos in documents.
Speaker 3: I think they published their photo, his photos and documents. Now, some of this guy, you know, the director of the FBI's public photos that they put out on purpose, are more embarrassing than anything I've heard about. So I mean, yeah, this is news, but it's supposedly there's no government information in here. So far, there's no confidential information, you know, other than personal So I haven't seen anything surface that says and here's the scandal. The scandal is he should have been better about a security. But we have many historical figures in politics that have been been fished and hacked and yeah, the same way.
Speaker 2: So it's just an embarrassment play kind of I think.
Speaker 3: So again, it's early days, but I would assume this has been sliced and diced, and there's if there was a smoking gun, you know, admission of something, we'd see it.
Speaker 4: And they say this was an old account, right, it hadn't been accessed since twenty nineteen. The account credentials were actually in an old breach. Oh wow, So no MFA. Okay, that's actually pretty terrib But so the prevailing speculation right now is, well, at least he's not in law enforcement. Oh wait, the prevailing speculation is the attackers grabbed these credentials off of an old breach and finally get around to credential stuffing them into Gmail and then pulled up.
Speaker 3: And it's a Gmail account. And I'll be honest, I don't share my Gmail account, but there's nothing in it that I would be of any use to anybody. I don't use it for anything. There's lots and lots and lots of spam.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you use that's better than or more secure than Gmail?
Speaker 3: I use my corporate account. I don't have a personal line.
Speaker 2: But what's the what's the system? Is it? Is it an outlook system?
Speaker 3: Is it a It's it's Microsoft off Microsoft hosted Microsoft, okay, and guarded by Dwayne I almost thought he wasn't going to say I know, right. He was almost like, I almost didn't say. I didn't say which Microsoft. It might be the secret one.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, So this is a big story, so big. My pharmacystem driving through from me, goes Carl. Did you hear about this Claude code source code appears to have leaked? And here's what we know. Yeah, this is from venture Beat, half.
Speaker 3: A million lines. What I think the biggest outcome from this is it's giving a big leg up to the competition. The competition gets to see what they're doing. You can't there's no patent on any of this stuff. It's trademark, but you don't have to change it that much. In hell, Claude code could probably change it for you enough that it wouldn't match. So it's a major mistake. It gives help to those who are trying to catch up to Claude. It just means they got to run faster. That said, I think in light of their controversy with the military, they out came out pretty good. They came out with rising revenue, and the reaction by open Ai is actually hurt open Ai more than it's hurt Claude.
Speaker 2: Well, they weren't going to play that game. Nope, it's basically it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this the way that this quote unquote leaked. We we look for this type of thing when we're attacking applications all the time. So they have a you guys have all like if you've done C plus plus development and that sort of stuff, or if you've tried to you know, read. Let's say you're you're trying to debug a C plus plus program or a driver or whatever. Good luck, I know, right, there are all these P two B files and all sorts of things you can load up so that while that particular code is running, you know where the code is at. Right, they're debug files, and there are debug files that you can use to map the running code to actual code, so you can debug running live applications. In Java, that's called Java map, So there's a map file where you can actually see like comments and code and all sorts of other things. But it's never supposed to be deployed with the application. So and we see it all the time where you know, we'll reach into uh, you know, hosted Java applic cation in some way and just pull down that map file and say, okay, cool, now we know how kind of everything's working on the back end. Yeah, so you got to be careful with what you actually push into where all right.
Speaker 2: So it's not like you could fork the repo out and run your own cloud.
Speaker 4: No, gosh, I don't know that you'd have the compute that would be impressive. But the interesting sort of secret sauce here though, is it defines how claud actually and one of the things that was the most important thing to leak was it defines how claud code actually splits its memory apart. So when you're talking to these lms as you if you just ask it like information about the weather or the area whatever, real quick, not a problem. It has this transient memory. It does a pretty good job for any of you who are using either GitHub code or cloud code or whatever. You'll notice over time, as your conversessions are getting more and more complex, as it's getting deeper and deeper, as you're talking about multi layered architecture, et cetera, et cetera, there are times it loses its mind, right and it's like, oh, I didn't remember that we were using AWS, and you're like, well.
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 4: We talked about it yesterday, but we've had you know, tons of hours of conversation since then. So Claude code is actually better at this remembering things than other automated code, you know, applications and are you know interfaces LMS agents, yeah, agents. And in this case, what this code revealed was how they're actually doing that memory management. So they're actually breaking memory. Usually there's like a memory m D file and people just you know, the agent's just dump tons of stuff in there. Everything it remembers is in there, and sometimes it's it's compressed, and then it extends and it compresses and extends and that sort of stuff. In Claude code, what they're actually doing is they have three different memory layers and one of them is just a pointer, just a single line for everything it remembers, and it's a pointer out to another layer. And you can think of it like they're doing short term, long term instant memory. So like, oh, well, when we're talking about something, it's you know, top of mind, right, and then what I'm going to do is as I compress that, I'm going to have a pointer out to a longer term memory file, right, and so on and so forth. So they have this structured way of managing memory that was giving them a competitive edge.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like skills in GitHub copilot. Gitthub copilot allows you to have skills which you can, you know, separate into different columns or whatever, and then those skills are picked up whenever the keywords are hit yep, yeah, or whenever the description matches.
Speaker 3: And Claude has something similar to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it seems similar to that. Yeah, whereas you know, and then basically anything that goes in that silo gets updated in that skills MD file.
Speaker 3: But it's you know, it's some of their secret sauce. It's not everything. It's not the game.
Speaker 4: It's not like somebody downloaded the entire model in huzza. Now they're running right clawed at home.
Speaker 3: And if this is, if this, if we start seeing this functionality show up in other models, then it just shows that Claud's operating at another level. Yeah, okay, that they deserve to be one of the top two, you know, frontier models.
Speaker 2: All right, So this next story is really cool, and I know Dwayne's gonna really love this. I love these types of stories.
Speaker 3: I thought this was going to be the topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought so too, because we talked about it before row Hammer. So new roe Hammer attacks get complete control of machines running en video GPUs. I remember row Hammer was one of these things that looked at memory next to the memory bank that you were on because it overheated a bit or something like that. It was the perfect side what do you call it? A side chain attack?
Speaker 4: Side channel? Side channel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, side channel. Wow? So what happened here?
Speaker 4: So researchers were like, hey, roe Hammer was really kind of cool, right, that was fun. We listened to security this week and we think row Hammer's awesome. What if we could get row Hammer to work on other CPUs, like maybe GPUs. Right, So if I take a graphics processing unit, which is it's a CPU just specialized, right, can I not only manipulate it in a side channel attack by heating up bits and corrupting bits of memory and that sort of stuff, but can I do it in some interesting way?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Can I do it so I can gain access to the system. What they were able to do here is modeling it after the original row Hammer is manipulate the The RTX you know attack is an RTX attack against the Nvidia cards. Manipulate it to actually do the same thing, kind of corrupt memory, flipping bits that's where stuff. But they did it not so it just crashed. They actually could infect paging memory that then goes out to the driver. Oh for the video driver for your computer. Wow, the video driver, as we all know, is running at like the highest level privilege. Right, So at this point they now have and there are two examples of this, they now have the ability to get a root level shell on a system by manipulating the bits and using this architecture, which is really kind of cool.
Speaker 3: What this kind of attack reminds me is that, you know, in twenty fourteen they first demonstrated a repeated like hammering attack. There was no AI to aid with that, right, And this is a you'll notice that in this story I didn't see any reference to and they used AI to figure it out. This is creative humans looking at a system and saying, I wonder what I can do with that. And so it's I think these are advanced attacks are still the domain of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree in some ways and in some ways not. I think you're going to start to see research agents get really really good at understanding Oh okay, this is the physical architecture, right, and how do we manipulate that physical architecture to affect the software layer, because in this case it's it's very similar. Like you know, you might say, well, how do I fix this right right now that now that somebody can get something to run on my computer that's going to get a you know, a highly privileged shell, how do I fix this? And and the same thing with CPUs. It's a well from the architecture hardware architecture stance, you can't or you looks the way the hardware architecture works, right and how it's late literally laid out, and how the chips are laid out. But from the software side, you could say, well, we'll invent a new driver that actually double checks paging memory or double checks whatever, right, so there are ways there.
Speaker 2: It's going to slow everything down, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, there will be updates to drivers that will mitigate this. Luckily, it was researchers that found this, so you know, it's an interesting find. I love side channel attacks. I'm glad you know we incorporated in the show.
Speaker 2: But here's the real question, which is how luckily am I to get infected with something that's going to do that to me.
Speaker 3: Well, and what kind of access to you know, you can't do this over the internet. You have got to be on the system, I assume.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, you do have to be on the system. This is think of this more like a privesque than a remote exploit. Okay, right, so if you're on Box and it's reasonably hardened, this might be a way that I'd call a command and then exploit the GPU to then give root level access to that command.
Speaker 3: Extreme living off the land.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's it's very much this is a This is more a privesque than a remote exploit.
Speaker 3: This is like eating crickets. How is this like eating crickets? Well, Extreme living off the land? You can't find anywhere.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I see what you did there?
Speaker 2: I see are you watching Survivor again?
Speaker 3: Can't find any squirrels?
Speaker 4: So yeah, I see what you did there. I wish you didn't, but I see. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Patrick's kind of a sleep would go on Survivor and win.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would say like the likelihood of this is extremely low. You know, first off, if you're running a hardened PC where they can't get they the attackers can't get an administrative shell. You probably didn't get infected anyways, right, because you're very careful with what you're doing. You're very careful with your architecture. So most home users, if they're gonna if they run something that exploits their computer, the chances of them going, oh, now we need a side channel attack on there is probably low.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so just be careful, you know, be careful of the normal stuff. In this particular case, that's.
Speaker 3: Like standing in the living room and saying, can I get into the kitchen through the bathroom window?
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm yeah, and you're like why, I mean, I probably could, but who cares? Right, Yeah, because that's where the crickets are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, it's an interesting attack. I love these type attacks, just you know, physical hardware causing bit flipping.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the thinking outside the box. It's the like, oh my god, well, how did they think of this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so cool. In this case, I mean, how did they think of this? They probably went, hm, roe Hammer was neat, right, could we do it somewhere else?
Speaker 2: And yeah you can.
Speaker 3: So you're saying the suspect is someone who likes roe Hammer.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, I know, right, huh weird. Time to go, boys, Time to go.
Speaker 2: If we only knew someone like that. Okay, so this is a good one, not a good one. Adobe data breach thirteen millions support tickets, employee records, and bug reports allegedly exposed by hacker mister Raccoon, not the mister raccoon.
Speaker 3: And this could be a gift that keeps on giving because you know, bug reports can also be vulnerabilities.
Speaker 4: Right, yikes, yeah, I mean this, this is a time, This is a this is a tip as old as time. Right, gosh, how did this or as old as Adobe at least?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 3: Right, how did this? Well?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny you say that. Uh, they were for years. My team was always like not today, Adobe, Like we're like here. Every time it was like you need to update Adobe, We're like, huzzah, no, that's definitely Russia.
Speaker 2: My browsers shows pdf. I was just fine. I do not need your Acrobat reader. Do you remember going Away? Do you guys remember Flash? I mean ye, yeah, you were updating that player constantly. People just keep clicking yes, no matter what pop time, and every time it installed new malware.
Speaker 4: Sometimes for Adobe, sometimes for other people. You know, who knew. So this is this is an initial footholder saying from the attacker and mister Raccoon sent a militia's email to a support employee.
Speaker 3: The hacker names are getting so much less cool, I know, right, Yeah, I think that's the story.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this is so for sure hacker. When he was young, his name was Rocky.
Speaker 3: So now he's missed your record then you know, now he's miscud.
Speaker 4: Jester was a great name. He's I haven't seen anything from the Jester in a long time. Yeah, I think he's he's falling off the face of the planet. But so, yeah, this is uh, you know, phishing email out to a support employee who was then conned into installing a rat remote access trojan and then at that point you have full control over the employees computer, which means huzza, you get access to support tickets because you are a support engineer at this point. So yeah, I don't know if this is better training for the support engineers. Did did Did they say whether this was actually uh Adobe supporter or do they do? We know if they outsource it, because we've seen those style of attacks quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Now, as the outsource stated it just said his support Hmmm, person, if.
Speaker 4: I although here, here's what I will tell you. Adobe at this point has not confirmed that this is a core system breach. So if this is a third party support team, you better bet Adobe's going to go Oh, it wasn't us.
Speaker 3: It was true.
Speaker 4: It was this third party who had all of our data. You know, we'll we're going to get rid of them and get a new Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this seems like a good time to do a public service announcement for have I Been Poned? So anytime there's a massive data breach, or you know, maybe even every other day, you should go to Have I Been Poned? Putting your email address and see if it's on the list of breached accounts. And if it is, it'll tell you what you know where what website and what a email? Yeah? What email? And you should change that password right.
Speaker 3: And one of the one of the real big tips here is that if you want to stay in the good graces of your employer, don't use your work email for anything other than work.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, Break time, yep, break time. Okay, we'll take a break. We'll be right back after these very important sites and we're back it's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Dwaine, that's Patrick, and we're here for your informational and educational and entertainmental pleasure. How about that.
Speaker 3: So, if there's a if there's a nine point eight CVSS score, and we've already talked about Adobe, and I tell you that that Microsoft's not in the news today for this episode, and WordPress is not in the news, who could it be? Who's Who's Who's very likely to have that kind of I don't like to pick on this company because they have so many products, but they're really always here.
Speaker 4: Cisco, and not the guys who give straws out to McDonald's, to the other cisca.
Speaker 2: So and this Cisco. Their products are not made in America, by the way, see last week's show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you can't even buy them, can't even buy them. This one here again, this one's this is another interesting one. The core issue and I'm going to read this, I'm going to read this out where the core issue lies within the password change functionality of the Cisco IMC software, and that's their integrated management controller. The CVE is going to be twenty twenty six two hundred nine to three you'll want to check that out.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: If you're running Cisco IMC, you're definitely going to want to patch. Anyways, it's a nine point eight. It's a nine point eight, so.
Speaker 2: And it lets hackers bypass off and admins urged to update.
Speaker 4: And get in as admin. So, due to an improper processing of incoming password change requests, a remote, unauthenticated attacker can exploit this flaw by sending a specially crafted HTP request to a vulnerable device. Successfully exploitation allows the attacker to bypass standard authentication mechanisms and modify the password of an existing user. So let me break that down. That's you're saying. The change password page doesn't actually verify the old password, just changes it. So I say, I want to be admint. I forgot my password, and it says what's the old password? And I say I don't know, and say what's the new password? And it's let me in and it just changes it. Wow, that doesn't that sounds like nobody qate that. No, it's so helpful. Nobody even looked at that, So that makes it I don't know, you know what.
Speaker 2: I bet it was these infuriating I bet it was a feature request.
Speaker 3: It was developed in Canada. They're very polite up there.
Speaker 4: They're they're like, hey, what if they don't remember their password? Eh, hey, just like you know, don't even look at it, just give them the new password.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's built in Canadian. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: That's I I to all my Canadian friends. I first off, I apologize at the accent. Secondly, my family's from Canada, so I can pick on them.
Speaker 2: It's fine. Okay, So, yeah, this is bad? Is there a patch?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bad?
Speaker 3: Understatement of the episode?
Speaker 2: Is there patch?
Speaker 4: The patch has hit it with a hammer, I believe. I'm pretty sure that's the that's the patch. I didn't see anything in here.
Speaker 3: In mitigation Admin's urge to update is in the is in.
Speaker 4: The Yeah there you go? Okay, all right, so there is a patch active exploitation. Cisco has found there is no active exploitation in the public, however, go patch.
Speaker 2: Well, our old friend Android is in the news again. Android Alert fifty Google Play apps linked to no voice malware reached two point three million downloads. No voice malware. That's like me, that's what I have right now. I have no voice malware.
Speaker 4: This you know, we always talk about like, oh, there's malware for Android, there's malware for Android, and then you know, it comes out that it's like, oh, well, it was a sideloaded app. And for those of you haven't been listening, sideloaded apps are like it was never submitted to the play Store and somebody had to hack their own phone and then root it so that they could drag the APK over and blah blah. And of course if you're running code that's never been checked by anybody, yeah, you know you're gonna get hacked. In this case, though, this was not sideloaded really yeah yeah. While many malware targets Androids usually often come from sideloaded apps or installed app downloaded, this now instead compromised Google play Store.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Good by building and deploying harmless looking games and cleaners in image galleries and the Google play Store, the attacker was able to hide malware behavior during Google's code review until after somebody had installed it. And we've talked about this where that's a black guy. Yeah, where you go and you write up an innocuous piece of software, right right, it's an app that does something useful or nothing, and yeah, or well you want to get people to download it, right, So right, it has to do something useful. Let's say it's your open claw monitoring app for your entry. Right, there's there's a lot of people who would downloind that lottery number pickers. Yeah, yeah, something along those lines. Yeah, And then in and update, because updates you can push directly down, right, I can have the app update itself, and Google place Work can look at updates and that sort of stuff. But if I obfuscate it, it's much it goes under less rigorous, let's put it that way. So yeah, here we say be careful what you download from the play Store as well.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, and by that we don't mean that you should practice ESP and know what's coming down in that update. And so there is no way to be careful, just you know.
Speaker 4: So here's what I do, and I'm going to anytime, and I've I've trained my kids to do the same thing painfully, like usually locking them out of their devices until and and having me approve apps until they know how to do this. So, like on your device, when you go to download something from the play Store or you go to download something from the Apple Store, if you scroll down, first off, there are two different things. I look at one, who's the developer, and there's usually a link for the developer. There's usually more information what other apps have they put out there? How reliable are they that.
Speaker 2: Sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: If it's a developer you've never heard of and this is their only app, maybe don't download it, right. And I hate to say that, because I'm sure there's tons of you know, new developers out there who really want to apply this, you know, who really want to put together an app to help people. But if I see that they only have one app.
Speaker 2: Also the developer's name, yes, can can be it, you know, if it's mister cool wears yes, for example, Yeah, as opposed to you like Dell support, where you're.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, yeah, although I might not download their stuff either. But secondly, secondly, okay, that's one number two. Each of these apps is required to request the types of rights the app needs. I don't know why I'm drawing a blank on what that's called. It's a permissions. Yeah, it's not permitted. It is permissions, but there's a requirements or now all right, discord, tell me what it is at some point. But there's there's like there's a term for it. There's where when you submit your app, your app has to ask for these things. Yeah, and it has to be displayed. Right, So there's a file that says the type of permissions you need and if those permissions are egregious, like oh, this is a screenshot app, but I need access to your geolocation and they need your name and I need your contact list and it's so look at those two right, you should validate those two things. Do you trust the developer and do you trust the permissions they need align with what they're saying the app does? And if you don't, don't download it.
Speaker 2: And I need to access via UDP server in Ukraine.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I you know, that's my recommendation.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: You know, we won't.
Speaker 4: We all don't have you know, cyber esp but there are some things you can still do.
Speaker 2: Very good you heard it hear from Dwayne. Yeah, all right. The next story weaponizing the Protectors Team PCPs multi stage supply chain attack on security infrastructure. So this is basically people that are using tools that security people use like you guys, and weaponize them to use them against security people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if you leave a shotgun by your door and a bad guy gets in, they got a shotgun, handy. If you have these tools on the system, then they can be used against the system. It's living living off the land again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what happened in this particular situation is a few attacks, right, Yeah, and a lot.
Speaker 4: Of these end up being and we've seen we've already announced some of these, like trivia, like the Aqua security trivia we talked about last week, right, and that was a supply chain attack. So this is just a really good this article is a really good kind of summary of some of the ones we've talked about, some of the ones we haven't talked about, just because you're there are so many different attacks that go on out there, so we wanted everybody to have kind of access to what are the what's the state of the art in these core sort of supply chain attacks, And like I said, Trivia was one of them. But k I C S. I don't know if that's pronounced kicks or you know whatever, guys is whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keeping infrastructure is secure code.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and light LLLM. So there's a couple of different you know, open source packages out there that over time have been exploited in different ways. So One of the things we want to do is kind of give you eyes on this and just be careful with and announce when you download open source projects.
Speaker 2: This thing compromised at least sixteen organizations and they're listed in this article. Yep, my goodness. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And some of this was you know, some of these are exploits we've talked about in the past, like react to shell. Some of these are new deployment pipeline attacks like we had talked about last week. So just this is a good read to go through and be like, hey, am I using any of these versions?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: If I think some of my like my open aikeys were compromised through you know, let's say, like you know, whatever a package I download, maybe I need to rotate those that's worst.
Speaker 2: Hey Dwayne, yeah, I'm going to send you a hundred bucks, but you have to download Duke to receive it. Do you see? Go ahead? I'll wait, go ahead, install that.
Speaker 4: This is This is usually where I reply and say I tried to I tried to install it multiple times and then there's an error, Am I do I have the right URL?
Speaker 2: Here it is?
Speaker 4: And then I give them back another RL that they click on that's fully loaded with a lot of listeners.
Speaker 2: All right, So here's the story. A publicly accessible Amazon hosted storage server allowed anyone with a web browser to access potentially one hundreds of thousands of people's personal data without needing a password. This included driver's life since his passport's another personal information collected by the Duke app. That's do you see a money transfer service service owned by Toronto based Dualles Dualles du A l ees And I don't know why. I'm close in Mexico than Canada Dualles, but it could be duels. I don't know if you're in Canada, be duals A.
Speaker 4: I guess duels A, So maybe that's is Canadian. It's a Canadian app duels A duels Actually it says Toronto based, so maybe I don't know, maybe it is. Maybe it is dual Okay, So yeah, and this is a money transfer service.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing apart it, this is an Amazon hosted storage server. And this storage server had three hundred and sixty thousand files Canadian government issue blah blah blah. Right, lots of information on it. First off, this is an app and a lot of people, a lot of developers think there's no way for people to pull keys and information out of my app, and that, I will tell you is entirely wrong. It is very easy to take you know, either you know an APK or whatever, even an iPhone app, tear it apart and find what keys you're using to call them back end and find information like that, right, I mean, heck, you can even just pass all that data through a proxy and start looking at the data. So there's there's many different ways for you to identify what's getting called on the back end. So this is really more of a story of if you assume people are going to get access to this data, so a CP assume people are going to see these files, assume people you know a lot of time less developers when we want to hide something, you know, we don't use obscurity as the only thing, but a lot of us do use quidd quitted URLs right or s three buckets that are massive quitted you know spaces. So you're not going to guess it, you're not going to perforce it, right, So but for you to assume that nobody's gonna find it is absurd, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Security through obscurity is a layer in a multi layered defense. But it can't be the only thing.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, absolutely, Patrick, It's like rolling the windows up and keeping your car in lock.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: An analogy he recently is we m one tanks don't rely on their paint color for their security, but we don't paint a marge.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, exactly. Yeah, so there's still a little bit of obscure in the area. So in this particular case, like if I can find that that those shared folders on this hosted server, you should have another layer that the data should be encrypted. The data should be pulled off if not needed on that server.
Speaker 2: The data like should have an authentication layer.
Speaker 4: There should be Yeah, absolutely, there should be other ways that you're protecting this data other than just this is you know, a server you hope nobody finds.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same as an unencrypted AWOS bucket. Yeah, it's exactly the same.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny, that's really It used to be everybody had these open s three buckets, right, and you could just find all sorts of cool data, and there were all sorts of hacker tools to just sort of surf them. Now, if you want to have an open s three bucket in Amazon, it's like you got to sign away your first born. It is almost to approve it to come to your house. But the interview you yeah, exactly, it's insane, Like yeah, so, I mean, kudos to Amazon Web Services for for locking a lot of that stuff down.
Speaker 2: Well, but yeah, here's the thing. I have no problem with buckets that are publicly allowed read access right because there's just a bunch of files. Go ahead, download all the files you want, but not going to allow write access right right, no surre, Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 4: And it depends on the type of data like if this is you know, W two's for everybody at you know IBM, right right, all right, maybe you don't want read only there.
Speaker 2: But if they're like security this week ap is so for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely great, place yourself out, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: We're not going to complain if you download them and distribute them yourself, go ahead, go for it. Yeah I would want to do that. I have no idea. But okay, all right, are we done with that one?
Speaker 4: I think uh no, I want to say I think we're going to start to see a lot more of these types of things. I think as we see as we're seeing vibe coded applications. And I'm not saying this is vibe coded. I'm just I'm going more on the ranti of AI and vibe coding where we see things. As we start to see a lot more vibe coding and we see vibe coded by people who are either new to development or don't understand architecture like production secure architecture, We're going to see a lot more applications and files being you mean.
Speaker 3: Most of the developers have ever met?
Speaker 2: Wow, this is wow.
Speaker 4: We're going to see a lot more files and sensitive data being deployed into cloud environments where they where the developers may or may not understand the ramifications of what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, all right, main story this week and this should scare you. Axios NPM package compromised supply chain attack hits JavaScript HTTP client. Think about that for a second. JavaScript HP how important is that? Right? I mean?
Speaker 3: Who uses that?
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody whouses a JavaScript framework to do any kind of UI at all is using a JavaScript HTD client with one hundred million plus weekly downloads weekly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: To put this in context, if you if you updated Claude code after the act, after the you know the code source code exposure from slightly after midnight to about three point thirty in the morning London time on the thirty first, you may have received the trojanized version of Axios.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So just to put it in perspective of like it's it's like it's like they said, like, you know, transparent food dye number fifteen will kill you and you have no idea what.
Speaker 2: It's in transparent food due Yeah, exactly, Yeah, it's Axios.
Speaker 4: Is interesting. So, like Carl had said, this is an HTTP client right for JavaScript, so calling back in pages and that sort of stuff, which JavaScript heads up does all the time. Interestingly enough, all the time. There is a client in Java, in the Java script world that does this. It's actually a native library, but it didn't have as many features as people had liked early on, and a lot of people had adopted Axios. You know, fast forward to bajillion years and people just keep using Axios.
Speaker 2: Because they're used to it.
Speaker 4: You know, they like Axios, And I'm sure on our discord people can tell me why they would use Axios as opposed to the local libraries. But in this particular case, what happened is a lot of these libraries are sometimes sort of supported by an individual developer or or a small group of developers who don't you know, don't work for a large corporation, don't go through the normal sort of rollout process and that sort of stuff. And in this particular case, the developer who one of the developers who maintains this repository got hacked, social engineered, lost is you know access. We see that his repository accounts got switched over to a proton mail account and then there were new uh, you know, new updates coming down. So what's what's actually sort of really interesting about this is the way how Cleannes was in installing a back door. So one of the things you're gonna want to look for if you're if you're using Axios and you're using the corresponding versions, which are one dot fourteen dot one or notice not through but or zero dot thirty dot four, if you're using those, you'll want to look for and I want to get the library right.
Speaker 3: Well, while you're doing that, remember that most people don't go and get Axios. They're using it because they're using something that uses it, just like log forge.
Speaker 4: Correct, right, yeah, absolutely, it's just a library, right, so you supply chain, Yeah, you don't know NPM. You pull this stuff down and it's just installed. So what happens is this Axios. What they've done is they've said, oh, by the way, we have a dependency now of plane Dash Crypto dash JS version four, dot two, dot one. There is a crypto dash JS which is pretty common to have, so Plane Dash Crypto dash JS. If you see that you've been compromised, you want to be careful. But what's really interesting is it says it's a requirement. So the initial check on Axios is obviously virus free. It pulls down this requirement, it installs the remote access trojan, and then it cleans itself up, so when the install is done, it still looks like it's virus free. Although now you have a backdoor installed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So this one's reasonably hard to find and with one hundred million weekly downloads. Yeah, you want to double check and see if you actually have this installed.
Speaker 2: So if you have it installed, are you screwed?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, I mean literally the comments on the internet or if you have this installed, you need to go. First off, you need to burn down the infrastructure you have there. Ideally it's in a cloud and you can just burn it down and roll it back and whatever. But the other thing you need to do is you need to assume that any keys anything in your dot E and V file, any whether it's opening eye keys, whether it's back end keys, whether it's aki a ki K keys. Yeah, anything you have access to that doesn't prompt you for a password.
Speaker 2: Any configuration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever you would have keys for, whatever you would have in your environmental file, whatever you would have for passwords for local databases like, you can assume all of that's probably already been taken and you need to go start rotating keys and passwords.
Speaker 2: Wow, yikes, that's a that's a bad one.
Speaker 3: Do we think something like an a virus is going to pick this up looking for this file?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Uh. I mean, could you have a could you could there be a package or a custom you know, thing deployed that only looks for this version of you know, playing crypto jass maybe And then but the problem is there's no known malware in it, right, So yeah, eh so ultimately yes, could could we say, oh, well, if you find this, just assume they've been compromised.
Speaker 2: Maybe? So it be nice to have a tool that you could run on your machine that would look at all your NPM installs and see if you could find it.
Speaker 3: It really should be something that the antivirus looks for us, Like you know with this this this file name is up to no good. Let's look at it, let's look at its size, and we know it's not it doesn't have malware in it. It is malware, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well do modern antivirus applications allow you to enter file names that you wanted to find, so.
Speaker 4: You can you can block certain files by name. The problem with that is a lot of them don't take that as sort of an important feature because viruses can generally and more often than not, will change their names, especially malware.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's like, oh, well the file name doesn't matter in this particular case because we can isolate it to a small version.
Speaker 3: And they caught it quick.
Speaker 4: That was deployed and it was real, It was caught relatively quickly. Yeah, you know what the name of the file is.
Speaker 2: But so you could do a duras slash ass if you really wanted to.
Speaker 4: And there's there's a couple IP addresses in this article from trend that we put out here. There's a couple IP addresses for the command and control structure. Obviously don't click on any of them, but s fr clak is one of them. Call are hys dot com is another one, and there's a couple IP addresses. So just needless to say, if you see you know, that's another way we would detect it as hey, what what's coming off the box? And especially in custom ports in this particular one port eight thousand is what it calls off the box, which is weird.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, So let's answer the question, Duane, you think this is worse than Log for J.
Speaker 4: I do? And I yeah, I do, I actually do. Well, let me put it this way. I think the the blast radius won't be as big. Okay, because Log for J nobody knew where log for J was. Right in this particular case, the blast radius could potentially be in that time frame I don't know, I'll call it hundreds of millions of people. But the damages could be greater with this right problem being is LOG for J you needed to go find the person who install that version so that you could exploit them. In this case, if you installed this version, it reached out to you. Right, It reached out to the hackers, so the hackers didn't have to go discover you. Yeah right. There was a ten hour window where you just called into the hackers environment. So the damages can be greater. But I don't think it's going to be as ubiquitous. I don't think you're going to see this for the next six months like you did with log for j where it was hard to find what was using it.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see because there's going to be more episodes of security this week. But that's all for this week, So we'll see you next week on Security this week, Bye bye bye. I gues