Speaker 1: It's a nice side. I'm going crazy. Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Were welcome back everybody, the twentieth final hour of this week of night Side. This week has gone by pretty quickly, and we'll review the week for you in just a moment. But what I want to do is open up the conversation for this hour and again, you know on the twentieth hour on Friday nights, which is the twentieth hour, we do four hours a night, five nights a week. Count the hours one to twenty and number twenty is the one we're in right now. It's the final hour of the week and we like to lighten it up a little bit now tonight we have sort of eased off from some of the tough political issues that we're dealing with. I just thought it would be a nice change of pace, and so we're going to talk about this hour. Is the retail change if any that you miss? Again, Yeah, I don't care how old you are. There asked to be a retail chain which has gone out of business. Some for example that I think going out of business even as we speak. But what do you miss? I know that there were a few suggestions, but Marita is a big advocate of this topic, She says she misses the Christmas tree shops. I never figured out the Christmas tree shops. I went in there a couple of times, and it was nice they could see this and that or whatever. But I don't know. I don't know how they could have stayed in business in the first place. But maybe some of you could explain that. But I can remember where I grew up, stores like theyres, which probably a lot of you in the audience never remember. So is there a retail change you missed? I remember there was a It wasn't a retail change. It was the chain. It was the I think it was called the Quincy Outlet. We would go down there as kids with my dad, uh and they would always have, you know, little baseball bobblehead dolls or something which were great for your room as a kid from Parker's and whatever they were. I don't know, fifty cents. They're worth more than that today. So we would love to have you joined that conversation and tell us which ones you miss and maybe even which ones you don't miss, because there's probably some that you're happy to wave goodbye to. In terms of the week. Here on night side. Let me take you back all the way to Monday night. And we started Monday night talking with Jim Brett about that Themeria Brett food pantry that we all participated in last Saturday. Talked with a woman about the Essex County Tales for the Trails I think that races this weekend. Talked with doctor Stanley Fish about law of the movies and then with Scott Barredell about tipping levels and are they getting out of hand? Talked about on Monday night for an hour and a half about the fight over Franklin Park and I am clearly I think on the side of the Franklin Park defenders. We had Renee Stacy Welsh, who was a lovely guest. I'm not even going to mention the other guest who was very difficult for me to deal with, but so be it. Then we talked about the deportations of the MS thirteen and the trund de Agua people who have been shipped. Look, I'm hearing today that maybe someone might have been scooped up and have been misidentified. They are Let's get him out of there. Okay, it's as simple as that. If a mistake is made. But I still think that getting these guys, these dangerous criminals, out of here is a good idea. On Tuesday night, talked with Peter Abraham and The Boston Globe about the Red Sox Roster. Talked with Kim Carrigan of Karrigan and Company. For those of you that might be interested, particularly in far away places, who you've never seen me on TV, I did a podcast and an audio and video podcast with Kim Kerrigan. Her podcast is called Caragan and Company. It's spelled her last name is. She's a former anchor woman here in Boston. Very lovely person and I mean really smart. Carrigan c A R R I g A. And we did this on Tuesday, Kragan and Company and that podcast. If you just if you just google Carrigan and Company, you will find it, no doubt easy to find. We talked with the doctor Patrick Porter about sleep debt and the value of naps. Coming back to Kim Kerrigan, please, it's only about forty nine minutes. We talked about the Salvati case. We also talked about the Karen Reid case. I was actually probably more honest with Kim than I have ever been about the Karen Reid case. You'll hear what my theory on the case is if you decide you want to listen to it. And we talked about Ted Klauser about how the AI artificial intelligence actually can steal your voids. Talked about a potential Republican candidate for governor state Senator Peter Durant Central Massachusetts. And then that was the day that President Trump and President Putin talked for ninety minutes and we had a lot of interesting conversation about that. Wednesday night, talked with Ellen Alden about stress Less Studio, which is for people recovering from COVID, something you might want to find out about. Talk with Shira overday of the Washington Post about Alexa being able to hear alexis in your home, Alexa, give me this, give me that she can hear everything. Talked about processed meats with a gentleman named a Niuant O'Connor, and then talked with Marlene water Warner about the problems of Massachusetts gambling. On Wednesday night, I had a great show an hour on the termination of Massachuset State Police detective now former Massachusetts State Police detective Michael Procter. Talked with the Israeli Consul General to New England, Benny Sharoni about the renewed hostilities in the Middle East. And we talked about a great interesting story, in my opinion, about this ten year old girl who's an American citizen. Her parents are not here legally, but she was born here. She's an American citizen. She's dealing with brain cancer. She was heading to a hospital in Houston where she's been treated, and she and her entire family were deported. Bring mister President, bring her back. Let's treat her. Talk with Thursday Night doctor Fara Mustafa about the FDA recall us some ACME medication that has too much Benzie involved. Talk with Nick Burns about not only spring cleaning, but also cleaning up your goals. Talk with Dustin Dunbar about the alcohol matrix, with Dina Renninger about nursing shortages across the country. Last night we talked about this Connecticut man. It's a bizarre story, thirty two years of age, hell capped it by his stepmother in a room with locks in the door for twenty years. Sad story. And last Night's spent two hours talking about President Trump's efforts to dismantle the Department of Education. Tonight talked with Archie Goddess Goddessman about a group called Jew Belong. You'll see some of their their big signs out and about you if you were in the Cambridge Somerville area. It's some very interesting I will looking for the word here and I'm just for the moment blanking on it, for which I apologize. But uh, these are big billboards, big billboards that essentially proclaim in no uncertain terms. They're provocative billboards, but it's basically stand against anti Semitism in America. Talk with Adam Horowitz about basically sleeping and while you're sleeping, your brain is coming up with ideas. Talk with Bob Ryan or the Boston Globe about the sale of the Celtics, and with the representative Kip Diggs of the Cape about a sloop to women veterans. And then at nine o'clock tonight we talked about an interesting topic. The United States of America is twenty fourth happiest country in the world. How can it be unhappy in America compared to the rest of the world. I don't know. Maybe you don't like things like indoor plumbing and running water. Talk with Mark Hurwitz, Last Hour, food writer for NBC Boston, about all sorts of restaurants, suggestions, and we get back. We're gonna open up the lines six one, seven, five, four, ten, thirty sixth seven nine three one about retail change that maybe you miss, well maybe retail chains that have gone away that you don't miss. We'll take a quick break here at Night's I. We're coming right back, and we're heading toward midnight. We're heading a Saturday morning and the weekend for real, coming back on Night's on.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started here again. We we're picking a subject tonight that I don't think we've ever done in the twentieth hour before. And what stores, or for that matter, restaurants that have gone away, but particularly retail chains. It's amazing to think that some of these retail chains have just disappeared. They were engines of the economy for many years, many years, but then things changed, and I think there's a lot of reasons for this. Let's go back to the calls. Let's go start with the call. We always give everyone what we call a hall pass on the twentieth hour, which means if you called earlier in the earlier in the week we opened up the lines, you can we can call a second time in the twentieth hour. Christine is going to be that first person with a hall pass tonight. Hi Christine? How are you?
Speaker 3: It's good?
Speaker 4: How you doing good?
Speaker 2: It's been a long time since we talked. What what group? What retail store? Do you miss?
Speaker 3: Christmas tree shops?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: You and you and Marita A k A lightning? What was it about the I never, I never, I've been to Christmas tree shops, but I never got it. What was the What did you buy there that that really you can't find anywhere else? What made it so special?
Speaker 3: Everything from furniture to Christmas wrappings to birthday beds, Christmas bed wrapping paper, It just ticks paper, everything you could think of, Jelly's crackers, bread, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let me wait, couldn't Christine, couldn't you get all of that stuff like a a CDs or a Walgreens?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was cheaper, It was.
Speaker 2: Cheaper, oh less expensive? Oh okay, okay, that's fine, Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I missed. Yeah, and like Bradley's I miss I missed Bradley's.
Speaker 2: Trying to remember what You're in debt him. I think they had a big Bradley's indebt him in one of the malls, did they not.
Speaker 6: At the mall? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure. I remember as a as a young kid, being not a young kid, but as a teenager being in there one night, and Reggie Smith from the Red Sox was in there just shopping.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It was like pretty cool. Reggie Smith was a was a great Red Sox player in the nineteen sixties, as he ended up playing for the Red Sox and then the Los Angeles Dodgers and was a really good not a Hall of Famer, but a really good major League player, And it was great to see him in there in Bradley's in the dead of mall. Okay, I got you, I got you in we that's we'll see if there's other people who miss the Christmas tree shops. You you and Marina great minds thing alike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Thanks Christye talk to you soon. Thanks, come good night. All right, we'll keep going. We just got one line at six one, seven, two five, four to ten thirty. We also have one line at six one, seven, nine, three thirty and Joyce is on that line right now, Joyce and holl Hi Joyce, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 8: How are you great?
Speaker 4: What do you misses?
Speaker 9: At the Baggin Center and Quincy.
Speaker 2: That's what it was called, the Bargain Center, I said, the Quincy outlet. Yeah. We we found some really nice sports equipment down there. As when when my brother and I were young, absolutely.
Speaker 9: Well, we were all young and they've been either they were a long time now. I used to get on my school clothes there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh it was. It was a great store and we were I probably must have gone there fifty times at least. That's all particularly play well, we lived in Hyde Park or Reville, particularly in the late summer is we would end up there a lot that I remember very clearly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I lived in book I lived in Brookline, but we used to summers and how and now I live here all year round.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have another friend of mine who has a place, and how I know, it's beautiful there. It's got to be a little tough in the winter time.
Speaker 9: Though, right, Yeah, it wasn't too bad this year and I've been away for like three years. I was in flowered of I'm back here now.
Speaker 2: John, Florida. Were you in Florida full time?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: Six months and six months?
Speaker 2: And how okay? We're in Florida. If I could ask.
Speaker 9: Saint Augustine, the oldest city, it's beautiful there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I've been to Saint Augustine. The late great Gary Lapierre had a great place in Saint Augustine. I never visited Gary there, but I have been to Saint Augustine. It's a beautiful city, absolutely beautiful. Well, Joyce Son, so nice to hear your voice. Thank you very much for calling. And the Quinsy Bargain Center. I called it the Quincy Outlet, but you're right, it was called the bargain Center. Thanks Quinn, thanks so much.
Speaker 9: One one more place was Sears, Roebuck and Kenmore Square.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 9: That was used to get all the bagainsa well.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. That building is still there.
Speaker 9: What is it now? I don't get up into this.
Speaker 2: I think they got a bed and bath in there. I think they got a bunch of places in there. That whole area is being renovated right around the ballparks, and.
Speaker 9: It's no that Bath and Beyond is gone too. That was part of the Christmas tree shop.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know that that's gone too.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yep, that's.
Speaker 2: Amazing that It's amazing that they can run these companies into the ground. You would think that these companies would all make money.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you think so, but all the big salaries that they get and so forth, and the rents are so absorbitant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, if they don't own your own building.
Speaker 2: Thank you much, Joyce, have a great weekend. Okay you too.
Speaker 8: Bye bye now, Joyce.
Speaker 2: Let me go next to Lourie and Idaho. Laurie, I know you're a New Englander long before you became an Idaho. And is that what they call people in Idaho? What is there difference?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, it is just don't cut us, don't call us Idaho.
Speaker 2: No, no, an idahoan right, yes, exactly. Okay.
Speaker 9: Uh Now I.
Speaker 4: Miss sears too, and she she had none of mine. I miss Sears and it it got ruined. I mean it was back in the day. It was you could get anything there, and we get our sheets there and our school clothes there and all other stuff and appliances, and it was great. Until they let Kmart buy them out, and then they killed the brand and then Kmart tailed.
Speaker 2: So came on came out. Was such a horrible brand, Yes, I it was. I just thought to myself, how can you take a company and run it into the ground. Were these people like just doing it intentionally or were they just.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, they wanted to kill the brand? Oh and they say, though, so there's some there like the Ace hardware stores still have. Excuse me, the Craftsman's brand. I don't know if they got that out of some deal when Kmart failed, but it was horrifying. And I mean Sears was kind of losing the business because of the Walmarts and also their stuff, and for some reason they fell into the ill will of the Kmart takeover and it killed them. They killed the Seers brand and then they were such an idiot store that they didn't survive either.
Speaker 2: So oh, how many k Mart stores must have died across the country. That was a big national store, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't care if they deserved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, I get that, but I don't like it.
Speaker 4: They killed Sears, but yeah, no, no, it was a national brand. It was everywhere.
Speaker 2: I remember that if I'm not mistaken a lot of people back in the day, because a lot of people we used to get phone books back in the day. But wasn't the Sears catalog a big deal?
Speaker 5: Too huge?
Speaker 8: Oh huge?
Speaker 4: We loved Sears, Sears and Roebuck, you know, and then it was you could get anything there and it was decent quality. It was not over price. It's not your high high end, but it was a really good quality stuff. And they started falling hard times, as they said, because you know, the things like Walmart and stuff moved in. And then I don't know, they fell victim to kym Art's offer. And I don't even know who kem Art's current country company is, but yeah, they killed the brand and then they killed themselves.
Speaker 2: You're much younger than I am. But Ted Williams, the great Red Sox baseball player Hall of Famer, was a spokesman for Sears and anyone who remembers, oh yeah, oh yeah, they used to have and Ted Williams he liked baseball, but he loved fishing. That was his sport. He was not a golfer. He would he would fish all winter down in the Florida Keys. It was Islamodoro. I can never pronounce that name, but it's way down to the keys and do exhibitions at the the Massachusetts Armory on Commonwealth Avenue. And he would be fair. I mean, this was Ted Williams, bigger than life as representing seers with their latest fishing equipment. And I had a friend of mine who played against Williams and he was close to Williams. And Williams was kind of a cranky guy in many respects.
Speaker 5: But if he.
Speaker 2: Met this young outfielder for the Kansas for then the Kansas City as a guy's name was Bob Martin, not Billy Martin, but Bob Martin. And he was a big fisherman. And they're standing behind the batting cage talking fishing, and it was like for Ted Williams to meet another person who is who knew nearly as much about fishing as him. The next day, Kansas City is on the road somewhere like in Baltimore, and Williams had just some incredible fishing gear and fishing town and fishing line and and waiters said to this guy, this guy was probably making five thousand dollars playing for the kids the city as in the late nineteen fifties and Ted Williams probably sent him five thousand dollars worth of fishing gear. How he got it back in the plane. Yeah, but that was Ted Williams. He loved fishing.
Speaker 4: That was his and it was quality stuff. It was I mean, my dad could My dad could get his shot tools there where you get our sheets and you know, child woman's there. I think we actually went to like, you know, sometimes first day school clothing there sometimes all the time. But it was everything, and it was a decent quality for an out a ton of money, and it was my mother thought it was better than better than pennies and you know, and it was still kind of there, kind of there, and then Camart bought it.
Speaker 2: But now let me ask you onet to think about serious. You probably know more about serious than I do. And plus you live closer to Chicago. Is this Chicago next door to what I thought Chicago's like next door to Idaho? Isn't it kind of Wednesday bet in Montana or in Idaho?
Speaker 5: Maybe not?
Speaker 2: Don't they have a building in Chicago? They got a big tall building called the Seers Building. I assume that something relation to Sears, right, Well, yeah.
Speaker 4: It was the way back when they had money. Well, you know, I don't know, it could be possible that there's someone with a Seers name, but but yeah, we did.
Speaker 2: You cross the border into Montana. Check out the Seers building in Chicago for me? Would you?
Speaker 4: I know what the Seers Building is. That's all nowhere near here. And I don't know if it was the same family or not, but I think we're growing up in New Hampshire. It was Sears was the thing to go to get anything you needed with Deacon quality.
Speaker 2: And I go to a Red Sox game and then stop at Sears. You're all set. That takes here of the back to school, the summers stop at Fenway Park and the back to school shopping. Hey, Laurie, thank you. Watch Hey one more thing I got to ask, okay, uh, I think you sent me a note that you watched the interview I did with Kragan on Karragan and Company on I did Tuesday. Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I loved it.
Speaker 4: It was fascinating. It was fun. It was it was and I learned stuff. I mean, there's stuff, I mean, especially about your your Salvati case, which obviously we're aware of and we've didn't you know, aware parts of it. But so there were interesting things that came out there. And I, you know, I'm just going to put it out there. I heard what you thought, your your plant, your your thoughts of what might happened, what might have happened that night when you know her car suddenly went into reverse for twenty five feet. I think you're dead on. But you know what, I have something to add on to that tale sometime when we have time to.
Speaker 8: Talk about it.
Speaker 4: So I agree with you on that part. But I think maybe she didn't knock him down and wipe him out. I think he got up, went into the house and was all sicked off to this psycho and she said that he took her glass out of the car, and I suspect she probably threw it at him.
Speaker 2: But anyway, oh okay, ought for another call for another for another car. Oh that's not true. But you would recommend to any Nightside listeners to go to Carrigan and Company this weekend and check out that podcast.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you know, if if they can do it, do the video, do the YouTube, because that is what's really the fun part of it is watching watching everything sounds great.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 4: And the psychiatrist is telling them the tone her down.
Speaker 2: She was kind of a character a little bit. I thought she was kind of an imperfect Hollywood psychiatrist, if you had to pick one.
Speaker 10: And so when I saw that my video on the YouTube screen, it had the psychiatrists cut off at the eye, and I thought, oh, God, don't tell me this is a psychic.
Speaker 4: This is ridiculous. But then I found it was actually a psychiatrist.
Speaker 2: She was in a pink room, but it really wasn't a room because I looked at it carefully. I think it was a green screen that she was in front of, and they put her in a pink room.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: If you know what I'm saying, you can project. Yeah, yeah, no, that's I think it was a green screen, pink room. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was bizarre. She was interesting, but she had a few she had a few comments that I kind of like, what thumbs up. But yeah, he was very good. People who are interested, the podcast is probably great if you're really if you see the whole thing, look for the YouTube video.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks thanks for the endorsement. Thank you, Laurie. You got it all right. Thanks all. We got to take a break. I'm four minutes into the newscast here, I got open lines. What Hane store from your youth? Do you miss? It could be an ice cream store, it can be uh, it could be a small chain, it can be a big chain. We've hit Christmas tree shops, the Quinsy Bargain Center, Sears, and Kmart was Laurie's. I want to hear from you the only line that we have opened. We have two six, one, seven, nine, ten thirty. What do you miss or what do you don't miss? Coming back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This, you're on the Night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back we go, let's keep rolling. You're gonna get everybody here, get Gary and Woover and Gary next to on Nightside. Welcome.
Speaker 6: I can't necessarily say stores, but I will give you a couple and a second by a couple of situations from stores that even you will agree with me. How about Dairy Queen.
Speaker 2: Well, Dairy Queen's still around, isn't it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It is, but not like it used to be.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it does doesn't penetrate the market. Absolutely. What else you got?
Speaker 6: How about the Blue Light special of Kmart or any type of store.
Speaker 2: Well, someone Lourie mentioned Kmart, so you're the second person I mentioned Kmart. But yeah, you're right. I mean Kmart was such a huge store nationally and it was it was like they couldn't have have messed it up any better if they tried. Do you know what I'm saying. It's like, how can you screw that up? But they did. They did a great job at it.
Speaker 6: Well, in particular the blue light special because even though I was still a kid, when they shout it out, the anasa of the store and the blue light special whatever was on sale at that moment, and you saw the blue light at fifteen feet high in the store, everybody went running.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think I have ever was in a Kmart. I've been in k Maarts, but never when they had the blue light special, so they would run to where the blue light was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's correct. And last one is this, I know you're gonna agree with me. Not necessarily stores, but you know, just a quick pizza joints, steak and cheese sub joints, just that. How about Dan Ray just walking in getting a quick sandwich and you just see one or two of all machines in the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been at places like that. Then they're not around. I was never a pinball guy or a pinball whiz. But hey, you know, to each to each his own, I will say, no, Yeah, well I think that they probably took up space, and they weren't. Most people are going into a pizza place or whatever to grab the pizza and get it and get back in the car. We're a rush rush society here, Gary, you know how that goes. Hey, look you have a great weekend.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks sir.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gary, Let's keep rolling here. Hey, Glenn, my man, Glenn, Glenn, how are you?
Speaker 5: I love this topic. This is a Glenn topic, if ever there was one.
Speaker 2: All right, what do you got?
Speaker 5: Well? I got three the old United Lafayette Switchcraft Electronics. They were Radio Shack competitor, and they went out of business in seventy seven. Okay, and of course radio Shack, as you know. I'm in my hobby's old school audio file and I have a Jack Adapter collection I told you about one time. Although I love about what.
Speaker 2: Happened what happened to radio shock? I mean, it seems to me that at a store like that. They were everywhere they go.
Speaker 5: When they joined Sprint, that's when they got in trouble. I don't know that.
Speaker 2: You know, how about these people who go to the big business schools. They come out of business schools Harvard Slide down, mit A, Wharton down in Pennsylvania, Kellogg at Michigan and wherever Kellogg is all and they had their NBA and they become the head of these companies and they drive them into the ground.
Speaker 5: I mean it, I know. I've gone to my next My other one is leech Mare. Now I used to love the one and get them because that's a that was a humongous, bogus big store. Yeah, no, it was, and it was founded in nineteen seventeen by a Russian Jewish immigrant named Abraham Cohen. You can you don't have to take my word for it.
Speaker 2: You can look will take your word for it. Dear, You're you're good at that stuff, his history stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's rolling in. You know who destroyed leech Mare, Montgomery Ward. They bought it in eighty five and they basically they ranted into the to the ground.
Speaker 2: And I think Montgomery Ward has gone too.
Speaker 5: They are Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Were those companies when they brought them in. You know, these these forty five year old wonder kins from you know, some Chicago business school or some other business school. I got a great idea, let's well the same way. Look, I'm wide, I'm looking at grocery stores right now. You know what, I think that we're going to lose some of the grocery stores in Massachusetts. I think it's on its on its last legs. They've been bought by Albertson and they have now they're getting rid of all the cashiers. We've talked about this before. They're putting it on the automatic. That's a death sign in my opinion. It's just look, they just they run these stores into the ground. It's as simple as let me tell you. Here's a little tip. I now am looking very carefully at cell by dates meaning and I know you're blind, so you may not appreciate this. But I went to buy the other day some brownies at a grocery store and I looked and the brownies they weren't on sale. Okay, they were charging like five ninety nine for six brownies, which I think is quite a bit. And they had been packaged. This was like yesterday, which would have been the twentieth. They'd been packaged on the seventeenth, so that meant that they were three days old and you were paying full price, and all of them were they had turned the sell by dates. You got to watch sell by dates. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 5: I know people tell me you know about that. I mean, I have to have someone. That's why if I have someone go with me, ye.
Speaker 2: Check just check them out. Check them out. Glenn, I'm up on my break. I gotta let you run. Hopefully we'll see you on the twenty seventh at the World Will that's great.
Speaker 5: I have to promise as well as a threat.
Speaker 2: I'll take it either way. Thanks, Glenn. Have a great night. Yeah, right, good night. Here here we go. We got a quick break and then we're coming right back and we'll be out of here in about twelve or fifteen minutes. I will do Nightside postgame tonight. I won't be long, I guarantee that, but I'll be there. Hope you are as well. Just go to Facebook Nightside with Dan Rey. You can follow us at that website. You can over this weekend go to nightside and demand, pull down past hours of Nightside and enjoy yourself, follow me on Twitter or now x just at WBZ Nightside. Uh, you can get us on Instagram where everywhere, where, everywhere. Stay right with us. We'll be back. I got full lines.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. We got Linda back. Linda, you're next on nights. I gotta be quick for me.
Speaker 11: Linda got real quick Manchester for the ninety nine restaurant back in the sixties. Okay, that got my own inswer.
Speaker 6: All right, good.
Speaker 11: What about Zazi Theirs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, JEMs, what what were you calling Zai? Were you calling it Zaie? I never heard it call that way.
Speaker 11: It's Thers, right, funny, Zami Theres.
Speaker 2: You're just kind of like Target Tarj. I get it, I get it. Yeah. I think I think is not associated or owned by Stopping Shop for some reason. Did they have an affiliation of Stopping Shop?
Speaker 5: No, don't no.
Speaker 11: What was the supermarket you were talking about that you thought was going out?
Speaker 2: I think Shaw's is in trouble.
Speaker 11: Oh Josh, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Get in the one that I shot at I think is in trouble. It's whatever that's just my own opinion. Great people there. They have great people there, but they don't appreciate the great people and they just keep putting in more automatic checkout commerce, which and.
Speaker 11: I am a Christmas tree shopper and went there for social.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, thanks Linda, have a great weekend.
Speaker 11: Let me get in, no.
Speaker 2: Problem, no problem, Thank you much. Bye back, let me go next John and Boston, John next on nights.
Speaker 12: I go ahead, Yeah, Hi, Dan, good evening. I hope I don't want to go too long, but I hope you'll do a story on what the news is been speaking about all night long, the men that have been busted and the madam was given four years. But anyway, okay, that's another story for a London ye four years. If he bob somebody over the head, they probably were to just put on probation. But anyway, Sears is not out of business.
Speaker 8: Seas is still around. We have one Braintree, Massachusetts and a tourist. You want to go see a store, soout your mall. You don't need a car to get there. You could ride the m met redline all the way to Braintree, jumping a Braintree taxi. By the way, how do you torture a yuppie You make them shop in a retail store. I walt you torture a yuppie you make them ride a taxi cab. And k MAT's not gone. There's a kmart still in Miami, but it's a shadow or itce was. I just looked up the last big box kmart closed in New York this past fall. But there were k bots in the Virgin Islands. In Guam, Google sales interesting.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I'm never going down there to shop Gamar because it wasn't that good when it was around.
Speaker 8: Well, we do have Sears. I went there recently and there was a shadow of what they once were. Maybe you can get the manager of that store on or the CEO. But the CEO they had before, mister Lampert. He ruined that store. He sold off Craftsman. So you don't see much sure as far as craft that was.
Speaker 2: Someone said that the Craftsman now is available at Ace Hardware.
Speaker 8: I did, he told it and then die Hide what was a brand and that was Sears. He went to see us to get a die HARDE battery. Yeah he sold her that. Oh you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like taking It's like taking great. It's like taking a great franchise, a baseball team and trading one player here and another player there, and next thing you know, you don't have the team anymore. John, great calling. I listened to you more stores.
Speaker 8: I hope you'll do this one again any more to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, those are good ones.
Speaker 8: And old Bio and a MC I miss and you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah those are those are car brands. So we'll get to those some other night.
Speaker 8: Thanks John, General Motors, the Shadow or what it once was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, thank you John, John. I'm just saying thank you politely because I gotta go. I got some of the folks. They got to give them a couple of minutes too. Thanks. Good night, Matt, you were next to nice. I go ahead, Mark. What do you miss, ah Dan?
Speaker 13: Three places I miss? Definitely Abe toys, Yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Those toys, yeah, absolutely, child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that would be one of my top ones back as a kid.
Speaker 4: Excuse me.
Speaker 13: Number two I had off the top of my head right before. But Bugaboo Creek, I don't know if it's still around the food place.
Speaker 8: Yep, I remember that you kissed the moose.
Speaker 13: Okay, and the last one I would say, oh, it was the one that was right there. I don't want to take up any time.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll let you go and then well the next time we do this, you'll have it at the tip of your tongue. All right, Thanks Matty, we talked early next week. We'll set that up, okay with Adam. Thank you very much, appreciate it. Next up, Danielle. Danielle and Worcester gonna get you in and one more, go ahead, Danielle.
Speaker 14: That was two calls before. I think he had it real quick. But I missed cal Door. Cal Door was like Today's Target, and if you were a call door shopper, you did not do Kmart, you know what I mean. And that's like, yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Was a loyalty. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 14: Sure, I kind of like Today's Target versus Walmart. You know, cal Door would be Target and Camart as Walmart.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I get it.
Speaker 14: And then I missed Do you remember in Newport Creamery?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, And in.
Speaker 14: The Westgate Mall. I came of in the middle of the mall and you could sit on a little stool and get a massive Sunday like right there.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, speaking in terms of that, there was. It was one that I liked. Do you remember Pewter.
Speaker 14: Pot No, No.
Speaker 2: There were a bunch of those around and you could go in there and they had like brownie Sundays and cocoa. I mean it was great, you know for those of us who were chocolate lovers. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I used to love new Port cream. We'd go Christmas Shop and the should always we could always stop and get ice cream sometimes.
Speaker 8: You know if you talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to talk about Brighams, you know, was another one. And Bailey's. Remember Bailey's Bailey ice Cream, high high quality, high quality. Yeah, that present in Boston. Dave Powe was always used to tell me that he had to stop at Brigham's and get himself an ice cream home. Of course it was. It was a simpler time when you see the President of the United States and a couple of a's walking down Boyleston.
Speaker 14: Its Orange Julia is still in existence.
Speaker 2: That was another that was that was kind of a New York place, I think, and it might have popped up here, but I think that may still be in New York. I don't know. Danielle, I got to get one more in under the wire here great great names, great names. A lot of people they're clicking tonight. They'll be dreaming about these tonight. Thanks. Thanks Danielle. I'll talk to you soon. It was seeing the twenty seventh. Thanks, looking forward.
Speaker 9: Okay, good night, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, how much time we got here? Rob, we enter two, we're over to Okay, perfect, I think get it, Rick and Bill Rica, Rick, you're gonna wrap it for us, go.
Speaker 9: Right ahead, you got it.
Speaker 7: Zerr Zer was good, and I think they sold the aims. So the reason I liked Zer and Ames is I bought a lot of cassette tapes from my Dodge when I was driving around in the eighties, and yeah, that's the way I needed my music.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: Another one with service merchandise. I bought a stereo system, a cheap one there. Actually I might have bought it from leech Mare, but I initially bought something. But I used to like service merchandise.
Speaker 9: And uh.
Speaker 7: There was an other place down the street from the Tumulas and Bill Rick on seven hundred Plaza on Route three, a Boston road to where I shop and did as a kid, and it was called Stewart or Stuart's s T U A R T S and uh. And you know, I don't know if there was more than one. But but that's not the point. I liked it because I saw drums one day up top and I was like, they were nicely, I say, what cheap splinter with drums?
Speaker 5: But I bought them.
Speaker 7: I still got them till this day. Added onto this old drum set that I got this cheap drum set. I had an enormous drum set when I had it on a black tom and and I had it on a it was a light blue mounted tom and I was able to extend my drum set out for cheap and uh, it was pretty cool. I don't know if my brothers appreciated my pounding.
Speaker 2: That's okay, Hey, Rick, I appreciate all that information. But I'm flat out of time, so I gotta let you know. The week has closed. Thank you very much. Thanks Rick, you too. All right. I want to thank everyone, want to wish everyone a great weekend, particularly Rob back in the control room and Lightning absolutely aka Marita or aka Lightning. I'll end as always. I'll be on Facebook in just a couple of minutes. Go to night Side with Dan Ray on Facebook and also remember the twenty seventh of April Nightside Brunch Neurolis in Westwood. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's what Mike Pal Charlie Ray is who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's why all your pets are past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. We'll see again on Nightside on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone, you deserve it.