Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna choose to believe that hour number one was the success. I mean, that's up for you guys to decide. And if you'd think not, then you know here we are, Howard too. We're gonna try again. But we were left hanging by a staple within this show during football season. That's one Alex Cupper, former Louisville offensive lineman, a captain on that special season that resulted in a Sugar Bowl victory down in New Orleans against the Florida Gators, walked on at ufl became Charlie Strong's favorite offensive lineman. I can say that because I don't know if he used the word favorite, but my man Chuck would gas up Cup often. And I love this, see because cups a walk on a guy who wasn't recruited by anybody and walked on at U of l out of Trinity High School and became a very successful player here and was a part of one of the more special teams we've ever had.
Speaker 3: And then you know what he did no love for Cup in the draft boards.
Speaker 2: Right, they're not there. They're not even they're not talking about it. Him no invite to the combine.
Speaker 3: What does he do?
Speaker 2: He gets a He gets an invite free agent undrafted camp with the Houston Texans, makes the fifty three man roster as a rookie, which I always always joke with Cup. He's gone on to have great success in the corporate world. But like if I played in the NFL for a he played more than one season, by the way, like you'd have a tough time keeping me from telling everybody that.
Speaker 3: And he nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, played in the NFL Houston Texans back into twenty thirteen. Like it would be something I would probably just tattoo on my head because that's a special accomplishment. He's so hot, he's so modest, and he's a great guy, good friend of mine. But he he stood us up. I do have the explanation, Johnny ready, I'm ready for it. He was held up on a call, I believe from when I gather it was a zoom call or a team's call. And he didn't say this, but this and maybe this is just what I want to believe. To give Cup the benefit of the doubt, which I do give him the benefit of the doubt. He's helping us a lot more than we're helping him when he comes on the show for being honest. But I think because it's happened to me. If you're on a long call, like you can't get phone calls, which, by the way, if he's on a call for work and we're calling him, like, he has every right to not answer because he's working. But his call ran long, and then he was about to call in before I texted him and told him, Hey, don't worry, man, We'll just do like we'll do. We'll do We're gonna do Friday, by the way, that's when Cup's gonna join us. But then he said he, you know, he's at home working from home and the boys. He's got two young boys that you know, we're we're you know, rough housing, like like like Cupper boys would do so and I've been there before, like I've got to sometimes just go outside and do radio hits whenever. I rarely do get a chance to join other people's show when they want me, like I because if I'm in the house and my kids are there, they could be well behaved, just having fun. Being angels, which they sometimes can be. And you know it's gonna be loud and it makes me sound unprofessional. So my feelings aren't hurt, you know. I I you know, my insecurity is probably getting the best of me by even going into this great detail as to how somebody could you know, leave us hanging like that. But I do think his uh his reason behind it is is I accepted. You accept it, John, I accept okay, So we're good to go.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: It is coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thank you so much for hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Uh So, let's talk about the ACC.
Speaker 2: It has been a wild, wild season so far in the ACC, just because of the Florida state situation.
Speaker 3: Right, they file a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: They think that they're better than the league, and they went about it a different way than Clemson. Like, I'm not going to defend Clemson because Clemson. You know, I think their fans are you know, when I hear about the road trip to clar and how welcoming their fans are, it's all kumbah, y'all. I think I think none of that's legit. I think they do that almost to kind of like patronize us, like they they all, you got a cute little program. It's so cute you guys drove down here to Clemson, South Carolina to come and play us. All golly gee, you want to beer? Like, no, we're here to beat your brains in. We haven't done that yet. In fact, usually when we go there, we get our brains beat in. But that's changing this year when brom takes the squad down there hopefully to you know, get our first win against them. The Florida State was arrogant, right, You've got you know, chancellors, board members, you know what are some other just fancy sounding titles. Chancellor's pretty good, right, yeah, right, donors, chairman, the chairman of the boy like they were. They were they just they think that they're you know what doesn't stink and they I mean they had I mean, this is insane. It was the Santis I think, who like used like two million dollars of taxpayer money to do an investigation to see if there was some kind of like collude, like some kind of a conspiracy to keep Florida State out of the playoff. Like get the hell out of here, like and then you know the lawsuit against the ACC. So to see Clemson get blown out by Georgia and of course you know they could still be pretty good, but Florida State's oh and three, and now Florida State knows they're not good. So like, that's why I took Memphis plus six and a half on Saturday, because by the time they got to that game, two embarrassing losses on national TV, both standalone games by the way, they're lost of Georgia Tech in Boston College and then a bye week to sit in it. They knew they're in trouble. And Memphis is going in there feeling like this team is primed to get beat. We've now seen two teams expose their weaknesses. We're gonna go do it. And again, the more that that happens, the harder it is for you to be able to battle any kind of adversity. That's why you know, last week when we talked about the Louisville Kentucky game, like if Kentucky ended up sucking this year, they'd still be up for the Louisville game because it's a rival, and clearly that would even if their season was terrible, that would at least end it in a pot positive way. And I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but like the example I kept using was, you can get up for a game and you can have momentum, but like if you've been getting your teeth kicked in throughout the year, and you know deep down like your season's really over, you have four wins or something like that, that's when if a team does get up on you a couple scores. Not to say you think to yourself, I'm gonna lay down and just want this to end. But the human element is a powerful thing, and it would be much harder for you to just kind of like, all right, we're gonna come back from this deficit because you know, we got a lot to play for. Like, you know, so Florida State, I think actually will end up having a really bad season. Like I think they're going to lose a lot of games this year. Like I don't think they're going to a bowl game. I mean, heck, they're already h to three, they got nine games left and they still play they.
Speaker 3: Haven't even played any of the good team. Shit.
Speaker 4: That's what's crazy, you know, they already hit their under for their win total, and I don't think that's ever happened before.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, Yeah, I mean, like that's that's crazy. As you said, I just took the words right out of my mouth, or I took the words right out of your mouth.
Speaker 3: Either way.
Speaker 2: So everybody pointing and laughing at Florida State has been enjoyable, not just the ac see but nationally, you know, people because and I kept remember when I kept asking, why is it that everybody hates Florida State, Because when they lost to Georgia Tech you could feel and you could certainly feel it when they lost to Boston College, that was a win for everybody that wasn't a Florida State fan.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, are they like a villain? Like the people not like them?
Speaker 2: And it's you know, I guess I just had a brain fart, because it's obvious they cried about the playoff and still felt like you know, and they just they it was in the past and they couldn't let it go. They got politicians down there filing law you know, filing lawsuits or using taxpayer money to do an investigation, all this nonsense when you know, you just got left out because clearly of a very unusual situation where it made no sense to put you in there without your quarterback, and other teams were just as deserving. So anyways, they're the punching bag right now of the college football season, and I love it. And I don't know if you guys have seen the cow twitter world where they are. I mean, it's it's become a national story where Florida State and I don't even know if this is true, but the belief is that their fan base heavily leans to the right as Republicans and being very anti woke, whereas Cal complete opposite.
Speaker 3: You know, you think.
Speaker 2: Free spirit like you know they woke, as they say. So there's all these memes that's just hilarious of everybody making fun of Florida State Cal Twitter. I mean, here I am thinking Cal was going to bring the league down. They got a chance to be ranked here soon, which is crazy to say, but here we are. So as much as it's been fun to make fun of Florida State, let's be real. The ACC needs them not to say that the league wouldn't survive without them, But if you were to lose Florida State and they were able to get out. That would mean that Clemson could probably do the same thing. And as much as we hate them, the ACC it, you know, it would not be anything close to what the PAC twelve is trying to do by just, you know, having the two worst teams that got left behind, bring in some Mountain West teams and try to act like they're a power for Power five. I should say now because if you know, but so but clearly you go back to the you go back to the table with ESPN because you've lost Florida State and Clemson. You're getting less than you already get now what you're complaining about. So again, we all know, as much as we hate them, the league needs them. So I have no clue if this has anything to do with maybe some humble pie being served down there in Tallahassee or maybe same thing with Clemson, but it sounds like they're making really good progress. So again, David Halo, ESPN had this story that the discussions between those two schools and the ACC regarding a change here to where they would those school you know, schools like Florida State and Clemson and those that have success could receive a larger share of revenue based on brand valuation and TV ratings. So this is okay, we're not just going to do a revenue model where because they've already put that in place that you get a bigger share if you if you're really good, like if you win, like, the more success you have if you get to the playoff, you get to the AEC championship game, like, you can make more money, you can get a bigger share of that revenue. Well, now this is not about that. This is just about brand right, brand valuation as well as TV ratings. Who watches you the most? Which, by the way, if that's the case Louisville. You know, I'm a little surprised by this. Maybe I shouldn't be, but Louisville does really well in TV games as far as viewership, much more, much better than I would have anticipated in some of these matchups. But anyways, this deal proposes that you can what this would do. It's a potential change to the current grant of rights deal that runs through twenty thirty six. So what would happen is that the ACC would say, yes, we will alter the current league's grant of rights expiration date to twenty thirty instead of twenty thirty six in exchange for both schools dropping their lawsuits against the conversation. Now, according to David Hill's report, conversations are still pretty early. There's not been any kind of an agreement that's been made. But you know this, this would be the best case scenario where Clemson in Florida State drop their lawsuits under improved financial terms to where they can close that gap with peers. Because again they and this sounds petty, but it's also life. Clemson does not think that they should be in a situation where they're making less money than South Carolina Florida State before too long. If there's no adjustment made, there's a chance that Central Florida in the Big twelve could be making more money from their revenue deal in the Big twelve. Then Florida State would make in the ACC like that's something that they're.
Speaker 3: Not cool with.
Speaker 2: So this proposal, it suggests that schools with better football than basketball ratings are going to receive more revenue. The report here says last year the AEC distributed forty four point eight million per school. But the gap with the SEC, of course, you know it's going to be widening. We know that so Florida State, you know, they don't have anywhere to go. That's one of the things I don't understand about their lawsuit, Like why are they still continuing to fight legally just to get out when they don't really have anywhere to go? Now they probably find a spot, but like you're having a tough tom beating Georgia Tech in Boston College, like, and you also now have to consider and this is not I mean, I doubt they're there yet, but the money that's piling up, not that you're making, that you're spending, I should say, the attorneys are piling in money for your legal fight. That's money that might have to go towards buying out your coach. And again that sounds crazy because he just got a huge extension and they were undefeated last year in the regular season. But like, if Florida State goes three and nine next year and he goes six and or the three and nine, which I doubt that's the case, but let's just say they go five and seven this year and they go six and six next year, even seven and five, Florida State fans are gonna want him gone, and they're gonna look at the one year that he was good as an outlier. So again, no deal has been made. But the big picture here what's happening is that they're going to say, Okay, not only are you going to be incentivized with a bigger revenue share based off of your success, but also based off of what you're bringing to the table when it comes to the reach that the league is getting when it comes to viewership. So let me Yeah, it says here that some athletic directors, because again this is something the ACC collectively is going to have to agree on, but some of the athletic directors, according to David Hale, are concerned about how you're truly going to be able to fairly measure TV ratings because obviously it's not all the same. If you know, Louisville plays Boston College on ABC and Wake Forest plays Virginia Tech on the ACC network, and not that those two matchups would ever be in those slots from a broadcast standpoint, but it's not fair like network television is going to get way bigger viewership. ESPN itself is gonna bring way more viewership. It really doesn't have anything because again you can claim, yeah, you see us, we had way more viewers for our game than this matchup did.
Speaker 3: And sometimes it'll be pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Yet it's because you're a better program and people are gonna be more inclined to watch you play. But sometimes that big gap that you see is based off the fact that one game was on a national network the other was on the league's network that just doesn't reach as many people. So that is a legitimate point that they bring up. It's like, how are you gonna, truly, you know, put that in place. So and then again, another big factor here is that you're not gonna have to wait till twenty thirty six, because that's a big deal. I mean, that's the dumbest thing Swafford ever did in the ACC is to lock this in place for this long. And even if the numbers were really good at the time and they were right there, let's say the numbers were better than what the SEC was getting or the Big twelve or who have Big ten, you still don't lock it in for that long because you know you have the s in the Big ten. Like, let's just say this doesn't work out and the league is stuck in their grant of rights deal till twenty thirty six and there's no adjustment made, you will have had the SEC in the big ten re up what three times in the amount that you all stuck to for twenty thirty years whatever it was. I don't think it was that long, but you know what I mean. So currently, ESPN, you know, they hold obviously the ACC's TV contract option, and they've been a part of this as well. They've been involved in these talks. I don't know who it is, but somebody from ESPN has been involved with this whole discussion here to try to get this thing situated to where the lawsuits are dropped. These schools don't really get what they want meaning out, but they do get a chance to bring in more revenue and close that gap a little bit by being the schools that have the most viewership and have the biggest brand. And how you measure that is going to be it is going to be kind of tricky, But you know that's that I don't think I think that's best case, you know, if everybody involved, because really, again, even though you could really question how legit it is as far as how you're determining who brings in the most, like does everybody have because if everybody has the same exact amount of games at the same time on the same network, that's really how you get a true fair shake.
Speaker 3: But there's other schools.
Speaker 2: Again, this is part of the article that says that there's a few schools and he doesn't mention who, but like, I would bet Boston College and Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, even Duke to be honest with you, they're thinking, okay, like whatever whatever you gotta do to make it work, Like, we'll support the league because we need the league more than the league needs us, right, Like Duke's probably not a great example just because of their basketball brand, even though basketball doesn't matter as much as football. But when it comes to these like again, if if the ACC blew up, we know who, we know who the leftovers would be. Let's say the majority of the league gets gets gets you know, picked up by another conference or something. Where is I mean, you're looking at Boston College and Georgia Tech probably go to the American and they don't want that. So as much as you want to play hard ball, sometimes you kind of just have to know who you are and know really what you cause.
Speaker 3: Again, as much as we can make fun.
Speaker 2: Of them, there's no way anybody could realistically argue that the ACC gets the same value as far as reach and brand from Boston College as they do Clemson or Florida State, Right, So it is unfair in that aspect, but you knew that when you signed it many years ago. And look, the same thing happens elsewhere. Vandy's getting the same money Alabama's getting. As crazy as it sounds, but there's seemingly so much money there that nobody cares. Like they're rolling in money in the SEC and the Big Ten, that they don't care that they're actually sharing the same amount of revenue as a school that doesn't bring anything close to what they bring to the table. So again it's early, there's no real agreement made. But this is I think the most encouraging update in regards to this whole situation. And really it's light at the end of the tunnel if it works out, because I mean, I remember thinking throughout the last year or so. Really, I guess since the lawsuits happened, I don't really know how scenario where this thing works out and everybody feels great about it. But and again you'll still let people complaining, and I'm sure Clemson in Florida State will continue to look what they can do when you know the grant of rights deal comes to an end in twenty thirty, and maybe try to get out. But I think this is best case scenario for everybody involved. But maybe that's just me coming from the Louisville side of it, where I realized that if the league did blow up, you know, Louisville may not get like if you're talking about the Big ten in the SEC, which is where you want to be. If they're going to be gobbling up six schools, I don't know if Lowell was one of them. I mean, they might be, but you really don't know.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I guess you could also potentially find yourself in the Big twelve, which you know, would be better than ending up in an acc leftover league or you know. I mean, I can't even the thought of Louisville being and like the American just sounds insane. But I don't think we'll get there. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I mentioned we've got a lot of guests joining us today. We were already stood up once. I'm kidding Cup, I mean, it did happen, but you know, just just messing with you. But we are gonna have a guest on the other side that I'm quite confident is not going to stand us up. That is Sarah Cannette who's going to be joining us from Jefferson Animal Hospital here on the other side to talk about their pet blood banks.
Speaker 3: So stick with us. It is Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right, it's Coffee and Company here on a Wednesday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And we do have a guest joining us here on behalf of Jefferson Animal Hospital, Sarah Kennette, making her debut here with us here on Coffee and Company. How you doing this afternoon, Sarah?
Speaker 3: Are you with me?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: Sorry about that function.
Speaker 2: On my end with the phone, so apologies, but thank you for making time with us. We certainly do appreciate it. And I've talked a lot about what you guys have over Jefferson Animal Hospital in the last few weeks, and that is a pet blood bank.
Speaker 3: And I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: For me, it's not something I was super familiar with until I learned a little more about what you guys are doing. But how did this idea come about? And I guess what was the inspiration behind starting the pet blood bank?
Speaker 5: So in about twenty fourteen, I started this program mostly because at the time, we were experiencing long week times for blood products, so our animals in hospital that needed it couldn't get it in a timely manner. On average, it was about two weeks at that time, and the state of the blood banking world is the same now, if not worse than it was ten years ago. I've seen wait times this past year range from four weeks to several months in some cases. And aside from availability issues, we wanted to have control over how our blood was collected and have a hand in our don and their care. We wanted to know where our blood was coming from and that was important to us.
Speaker 2: So I could be wrong here, but I feel like there are a lot of pet owners that may not have a clue that their pets can actually be blood donors just like their owners can. So I guess talk a little bit about which pets are eligible to donate and the benefits not only for them, but for you, for everybody if in fact they do get their pets involved here and have them donate blood.
Speaker 5: Sure, so, both dogs and cats, as far as requirements go, they need to be at least a year to join our program. Basic requirements are based around weight, which for dogs is preferably over fifty pounds, but we will take forty pounds since they can donate half units, and cats need to be at least ten pounds and strictly indoors otherwise it's pretty much needing them to be current on their vaccines and monthly preventatives and then good health and that pretty much gets them started in that process as far as benefits go. The screening that we do is done at no charge, and that involves an initial blood typing which if they continue on in their deemed blood type that we are currently accepting, we do full blood typing panel along with a infectious disease panel which covers roughly about twelve common diseases, plus heartworm testing and a general health profile, and then we also cover their annual exam radies, just temper vaccines, fecal exams, and the lab testing is repeated annually with their annuals, and of course there's always that warm, fuzzy feeling that you save the life of Sure's best friend, which is what most people are in it for.
Speaker 2: And that was going to be my next question is do you guys, do you get much hesitancy from people who have pets and they just, you know, it's new to them. They weren't aware that their pets could actually be blood donors. Because again, I feel like there's a lot of incentives that you mentioned there as to why you should do it, but helping save pets lives, that's got to be the one that gets the process started for a lot of these people who wouldn't want to do that, right.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's pretty much at the top of the list, really, And most people don't know that animal blood banks or blood donations are a thing. That's usually the most common thing that's told to me is I never knew that this was a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, I'm glad you shared that, Sarah, because that makes me not feel as dumb because I was totally unaware that this was the thing at all.
Speaker 5: Very few people really know, and it's because they have not been They have been fortunate to not need a blood transfusion for sure, pets before their pets have been in good health. A lot of our donors come from families that have had a pet that receive blood and they just want to give back because someone else's pets saved theirs.
Speaker 3: That makes total sense.
Speaker 5: Have a pay it forward kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes total sense. And for those just not joining as Sarah Canet as our guest, she's from Jefferson Animal Hospital. She's the director of the Pet Blood Bank. And for those that are familiar with giving blood, they've donated blood themselves. You know as a human, how different is the process for a pet when it come to like, you know, bringing them in and just what they can expect that, you know is maybe similar or different from when you go in and donate blood yourself.
Speaker 5: It's not very different from humans donating blood. The most difficult aspect for us is your pets don't know what we're expecting of them. So it is a lot of positive reinforcement, a lot of treats, and it's a little bit of a slow going getting them introduced to where they understand what we're asking from them. Takes about twenty five minutes total from start to finish of their appointment. Usually the actual collection time is about ten minutes. Cats are not as willing as their K nine friends, So the difference for them is they do have to be fully sedated. I think because of that, it is harder for owners to want to have their pets or their cats rather have them donate, which is why cat blood is at a higher shortage nationally than dog most of the time.
Speaker 2: So the awareness of this and that's you know, that's why, that's why you guys have an event coming up that we're going to talk about in just a minute. And you mentioned I think it makes total sense that some of the most willing folks to get involved here is because a blood transfusion might have helped save their pet, and because you mentioned they want to pay it forward and give back.
Speaker 3: But how has.
Speaker 2: The the awareness, How is spreading the awareness gone in your industry?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean again, I'm sure it's it's a never ending thing to make people aware of this and how important it is that it can save lives, and that again, that's why you guys are about to have this event that we're really excited about next month. But just from I guess an INDI, you know, an overall industry of of what you guys do, do you feel like it's heading in the right direction where more and more people are learning of this.
Speaker 5: We try, you know, I think it does get better and the more people that are in our program kind of tell their friends and their family and that kind of thing, and we try to do more community outreach to try and help spread the word. You know, there's blood banks all over the country, but it's not enough obviously for humans and people. Surely there's always a need. And as the pet population grows, so that need grows with it.
Speaker 2: So if there are pet owners listening right now and they're interested in they're being educated on how important it is, and you know, of the overall process, what is the best step for them to get to get enrolled here?
Speaker 5: They can call our office at five oh two nine sixty six four one zero four. Easier way is to email us at blood Bank at Jefferson Vetts dot com. I monitor that email a lot of times when I'm not in the office, so it's usually a quicker way to get a response.
Speaker 2: Now, the event that's coming up with the American Red Cross next month, tell us a little bit about that. I've been I've been sharing some information about it with our listeners throughout the last few weeks, but obviously nobody better than yourself to kind of get us excited about this event next month.
Speaker 5: Sure, So on October nineteenth, we we'll be hosting an event with the American Red Cross to help bring awareness to the dire need of human and animal blood. They'll be on site to collect donations from humans, and we will be here providing screenings for and cats that may be interested or even if people just want to come out and meet with us, talk with us, see where we do the donations. We'll have some mock donations so that they can kind of see the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like a demonstration as far as what exactly it is you're doing. Yeah, I'm sure that probably makes pet owners a lot more comfortable once they see that process.
Speaker 5: Exactly, once they see how we do things. It usually puts everybody at ease. And owners are always welcome to be with their pets when they donate, which also makes that easier for them, you know, And it's also our ten year anniversary of doing this since we started the blood Bank ten years ago, so we wanted to have a day where we honored both the active and retired donor families and all of the commitments that they've given us over the years. We've had donors for stay in the program for many, many years, so we wanted to do something for them. It's going to be a great afternoon. We invite everybody to come join us. It's from nine am to two pm at our outer Loop location. It's gonna be a fun afternoon.
Speaker 3: Pints for pausing people. Should be a lot of fun. Again.
Speaker 2: You can get more information at pet bloodbank dot com or give them a call FABO too. Nine hundred pets is the number. I have one more question just because when you mentioned folks being aware that this is helping save lives of other pets and how important it is, and I am putting you on the spot a little bit here, Sarah, So I apologize, but I mean, are there are those are there stories that you guys can share. I mean, I've known if you can get into the specifics of like if somebody did in fact donate and they I mean, do they ever figure out and again, maybe it's maybe impossible for people to know this, but like what they actually did, did it help save this pet or that pet? And again that may be information that's not available, but I know that's got to be the best way for people to to to just say, Okay, look, i'm gonna go do this. I'm gonna make it a point to come to the event. I'm gonna make sure that my pet is eligible, and then we're gonna donate blood and we're gonna help save lives. I just think that's the more you mention that. And again, you guys do a great job of making people aware of it as it is, but I feel like that's something that like that's gonna all that can do is help with the awareness of this whole thing.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, and you know, I keep we send blood all over the country. We if somebody, if there's a hospital out there that needs blood from us, we will do our best to provide them with what they need. And if someone's pet gave blood, I can look and see where that blood went. Was it someone locally? Was it somewhere in Texas or New York? So you know, I have the ability to tell them that and we've gotten feedback from other hospitals that have sent us, you know, information that you know, their owners are so thankful that our great here have helped save them.
Speaker 2: So each pet donation can save up to four to six lives. I think that alone, if you're listening out there, that should incentivize you to to get more information and get involved and again help help save lives.
Speaker 3: That's who wouldn't want to do that.
Speaker 2: So, Sarah, I appreciate you so much for making time for us, also appreciate the great work you do, and we look forward to the event next month at the Jefferson Animal Hospital on Matter Loop. It's pines for paws and people, so we will see you there.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much, Sarah, perfect, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I take care again, that is Sarah Cannett really good stuff. Who wouldn't want to be a part of a I mean again, not only is it good for your pets to take advantage of all that comes with being a pet blood donor, meaning where you can get your vaccinations, you can get your regular examinations. I mean that's just keeping you know your you're pet healthy, making sure that they're being well taken care, but you're also helping save pets lives again. That is, every donation can save up to four to six lives. I mean that that is knowing that everybody should be out there getting involved, and I encourage you to do exactly that. So again, big thanks to Sarah, Big thanks to the Jefferson Animal Hospital. All right, quick break, we'll come back here on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. I want to let you guys hear where Pat Kelsey had to say about Mark Pope.
Speaker 3: It's it's not juicy.
Speaker 2: I don't want to act as if like he's out there throwing the first jab across the bow at the at the rival, because I actually think those guys are probably going to like each other pretty well. I don't know though, maybe it gets you know, Pat, Pat's a fiery competitor. Maybe maybe maybe that maybe that changes. But anyways, we'll get into that in a lot more. We also need to lets you hear what Deon Sanders had to say, so stick with us. It's Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Wednesday afternoon show goes a boy really fast when we have guests on and we've only had one because we got stood up earlier. I'm gonna keep mentioning it, Cup, by the way, just so you know I just didn't. Just that's that's how I'm gonna get you back. But I also need to be kind because, like again, when people come and join us on the show, you know, they're helping us out more than we're helping them. I mean, unless you know, we're promoting their brand what they're doing. But as far as just you know, getting analysis, you know, that's that's that's something we need. That's why we ask these guests to come on our show. So I can't believe it's already almost five o'clock, and I thought we'd have more time here in the endo the four o'clock, but we don't.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: I I don't know if I'm alone here, but when I saw Craig Greenberg, may or Greenberg I should say his comments on the recent street racing arrests that have gone on in Louisville, thought to myself, like that that that's a cool idea, but like there's no way they'd ever be able to do that, right, So for those who don't know. Street racing has been keeping l MPD very busy in the last few weeks. Just this week they've seized I think twenty different cars that have been involved in some of these viral videos that you've seen where they're like shutting down interstates to do donuts in the in a you know, not in a parking lot, but in you know, on the inner like it's it's crazy. In fact, there was one that took place a few days ago down I believe near Slugger Field.
Speaker 4: And I mean, don't think call these like takeover events or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm yeah, I've heard that before. I don't I think that's what this stuff is. But and it's not from an eye, it's not like to to to like to protest. From what I can tell, it's just you know, people doing stupid. I see people shouldn't do.
Speaker 4: The humans that are around the circle where they're doing these donuts sometimes they'll get completely like knocked over by theseus and go flying in the air and somehow they're you know fire.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen this that in Louisville. But that's but that's what you have to be fearful of. That's why these people who they're they they're and they're finding them by the way they're they're finding the people who are on like the body cam footage or the videos that people post on social media. They are able to identify who these cars belong to with the plate. They've identified people who jumped on because sometimes police cars have shown up to shut these down and people jump on the police car. I mean, like why would why would you do that? So they're able to get not a great image, but something from the from the camera that's on their vehicle or on them, and they're finding out who these people are, and they're arresting them, and they're getting their cars seized, they're getting they're getting compensated. So you know, like if you are doing that, even if you don't hit somebody, but your vehicle is doing what you what you mentioned there John, where you it's I mean, is it called UH drifting?
Speaker 3: I think that's what it's called. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking of like Tokyo drift with UH with fast and the furious. So I've seen some of the charges that that these these people are getting charged with. It's like one engagement first degree because you could you could kill somebody by doing that. I mean, it's it's I mean, I don't I don't get the fun at it. But like clearly it's you know, it's the thing, and it's scary and you gotta you know, you probably aren't really allowed to do what they're doing anywhere, but to see it like in places where you know, like they're just taking over again, that's why you mentioned they call them takeovers.
Speaker 3: But here's one thing.
Speaker 2: That that Mayor Greenberg said. I want to keep this saying Craig, but he needs to be referred to as his title, which is the Mayor of LOUISLL Craig Greenberg quote. One innovative approach that some other states are taking are not only are they confiscating the car, but when they confiscate the cars, they crush them. I strongly support legislation. So that's what Mayor Greenberg has said that they are. He supports not only confiscating your car after they but destroying it and crushing it.
Speaker 3: That seems to.
Speaker 2: Me, like, uh, you know, maybe you could like auction the cars and that money could go towards the community, right, Like, I don't know, but I also love the thought of really punishing somebody by saying nope, Like like, over the past several days, they've seed they've they've seized twenty cars that were involved in these takeovers. Street takeovers that block traffic can put people in danger, and I just love the thought of one. And by the way, one of the at least one of the arrests that I read about in WDRB was somebody that just got their car back for doing this in February, Like, come on, like, what do you do it? So I just love the idea of like, clearly, you like your your world seems to revolve around this. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but like if you're that dumb, then like you really only care about anything. You really don't seem to care about anything, not only staying free, not only you know, avoiding criminal charges. You seem to only care about street racing and taking and doing these takeovers. So to really hold them accountable, like here's part of it you are sentenced to I don't know, I don't even know what the sentence would be. I guess it also depends if like you've done like if you've done this before and you get caught again, you're probably gonna actually serve some time for this, maybe even some serious time. I don't know how serious the charges are, but I like part of the sentencing process, part of the punishment to be we will go remove you from corrections and you will ride with us, and we are going to destroy your car and make you watch.
Speaker 3: Like I kind of love that. I like it too. Don't you like that kind of justice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean there's no direct harm to the human being. But you have to sit there and watch what you are. You know, you value so much you destroy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think you're gonna keep getting away with this, No, you are gonna. You are currently incarcerated for putting people in danger and you know, taking over streets that you can't take over, and we're going to destroy this vehicle that you know is your prize possession. That's that's really the weapon that you had to commit these crimes. So I again, destroying them, crushing them again. If you're gonna do that, make them watch, then they'll really learn the hard way that like, you know, this is what we will do if we catch you doing again. If you're thinking about when you get out, make you know when you make parole or you have served your sins. If you're thinking about going and getting one of these kind of eagles again and uh, you know, doing the same thing, be careful because we'll do this again to you. We'll confiscate it and we'll make you, will make you watch us destroy your vehicle.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I don't think of it ever really happened, but apparently in other states is Mayor Greenberg mentioned they are not only taking your car, They're just they're crushing them.
Speaker 3: I love that idea.
Speaker 2: What do you think I I showed up, like in my mid sized family suv to one of these like street races, like, hey, I'm here. You got anybody that wants to run? Thinking like, yeah, take over? Uh No, I want to race John. Let's race for pink slips like they do in uh in Fast and the Furious. When I think street racing, I don't think Fast and the Furious. I think of Horrible Bosses. When Jason Bateman is being interrogated by police officers who you know, are onto them about doing what they do in Horrible Bosses, which is, you know, try to kill their bosses, and he claims that you know, what were you doing out this late at this time, street racing in a prius. I do it went often just like that. I mean, Jason Bateman is hilarious. And by the way, that movie, that collection, that cast, I mean, and I can't believe that that movie came out thirteen years ago. They've already had two of them. And the second one's pretty good too. Usually a comedy, a comedy sequel like that, I feel like it usually isn't good. This one wasn't as good as the first, the original Horrible Bosses, but both were really good. But man, talk about a cast. You've got Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Jason Sideikis, Jennifer Aniston, Colin Ferrell, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Jamie Fox. I mean that movie star studded cast, and it was really really well done. And man, Jennifer Aniston is so hot in that movie, unbelievable. You look surprised that said that, John, I'm surprised.
Speaker 3: She's your generation. Oh god, body right. I mean, I think she's timeless. I don't.
Speaker 2: I think, if you know, everybody's got their own preferences, but like, she doesn't age. I feel like there's people you know, she's she's she's wonderful.
Speaker 3: That's what I'll say. We got to go to break. We got the five o'clock hour coming your way.
Speaker 2: In a lot more to get into, including Pat Kelsey's comments on Mark Pope looking forward to letting you guys listen to that if you haven't heard it just yet. Also Deon Sanders doing Deon Sanders things again. We'll get back into the Wojes news as he has decided to retire to take a job that might surprise.
Speaker 3: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: And how about this, Nolan Smith has found a gig and there's some speculation as to maybe he did some things to make that job be available, allegedly allegedly. All right, stick with us, it's coffee and company fee. About Thornon' right here on sports talks up in ninety