Speaker 1: It's the Golden Age.
Speaker 2: Roger than the fantasy sat in the refil history the gold.
Speaker 3: Then tell me from co Captains to Happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Survivor Series nineteen eighty eight review right here on the Golden Era Podcast with Shawn Mooney.
Speaker 3: How you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. Interesting though event we're going to be talking about. I really have kind of a love hate with this one because to me, it was it was it was a gigantic mash pit of an event, as I will explain as we get into this. But I was busy that day, that's for sure. So let's get into it now.
Speaker 3: This is your first Survivor series.
Speaker 2: You've been with the company since what May of nineteen eighty eight, so this is your first Survivor series. Did you know anything about it? How are you being prepped about what Survivors is?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they had one previously, so we kind of knew what the whole concept was.
Speaker 4: I knew that I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Going to be sharing Thanksgiving with my family that day, but it was it was an interesting event to be a part of because it was just there was just so much.
Speaker 4: Going on all the time. You know, where I was used to doing tag team interviews and.
Speaker 1: Then also doing uh, you know, the single one on one kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Then suddenly you have.
Speaker 1: To do these massive interviews where you've got five different guys or more in some game managers, yeah, that are.
Speaker 4: Involved in it.
Speaker 1: And as I've said before, you're basically you're the mic stand You've got to make sure that that MC gets where it's supposed to be in the right order, and so that that's you know, your mission, and then be natural about it all and make sure everybody gets their lines in so well. From my perspective, that was my concern because you know, Vince was in on all of these as we've talked about. He just was every detail and it was a relatively new event in a sense, so there was more tension, I guess, you know event. So I said, nothing can go wrong, Well, yeah, a lot of things could go wrong, especially when you're this young, basically green announcer who's still trying to get his feet under him after all this. So it was uh yeah, I probably sweated through not just my shirt.
Speaker 2: But my jacket, the blazers. Well your nice nice suit that day.
Speaker 4: Nice, Yeah it tucks, Yes, you.
Speaker 2: Look great, not rocking up mullet real one hundred percent. Yet it's growing, getting there, it's getting there. You know you're trying, You're trying. But with interviewing five people with managers, is there prep work? Are you setting this up where we're all getting in a room going okay, well you say you're one that I pointed to you and you do your line or is it all just okay, let's go and each person jumps in when they find a moment.
Speaker 1: No, and it's in one of these And most of those, as I've said before, that they were loosely you know, planned out that because these guys kind of knew what they would say and you blocked it out in a sense. But these, yeah, these were a little more involved because you did have so many players in it. There were so many you know, chess pieces on the board, so they were a lot more meticulous about making sure that everybody had the lines. What you're gonna say, and you don't talk too long, and you get your point in and get out.
Speaker 4: And so I want to I don't want to say.
Speaker 1: I mean, we did a rehearsal kind of thing, but we did block it out and everybody had to know what they were going to do so, and I and I still remember that we didn't have many takes real We really didn't, which is a credit to all of those guys you know that were able to do that, and especially the number of interviews we did, and we had to get them done, uh and knock them out because you've got a lot of other things you've got to do. These guys got to, you know, get ready for their matches, and especially with the one that we'll get into when you've got ten on ten, which I watched it again. I'm still astounded by those matches when they do them, and to think that you know, they had this wasn't some new concept. They'd have these these rumbles before kind of thing. But uh yeah, just just just madness. And uh, I'm not I'm not a big fan, as we've we've we've.
Speaker 2: Discussed, Yes, you have said you're not a bank fan of Multiman matches and honestly, Surviarvar series has a special place.
Speaker 3: In my heart.
Speaker 2: But then when you start watching some of these events, you're wondering, why does my heart want me to love these things so much? My eyes say, I'm not really enjoying what I'm saying it's you're right. It's a lot of just clubbing, blows, tag somebody else in act. You come in, get your shit in, tag them out, like there is no planned feels like spots. It's a lot of just Okay, well we got a bunch of wrestlers, we got to get our shit in. You're eliminated, you're eliminated, you're eliminated, versus years later it's like, Okay, we're gonna set up this storyline in this match which gets us ready for WrestleMania or Royal Rumble. At this point, I feel like the only connection to that is the Mega Powers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you also have to keep in mind, you know, as you just talked about that, how do you plan these matches out?
Speaker 4: You really can't.
Speaker 1: And you know, professional wrestling, a lot of it is a dance in there, and these guys, once you've become a seasoned professional, once you really know what you're doing in there, you could do this all day. And it's everything from somebody where they grab you on the wrist and what or they you know, come up.
Speaker 4: Under your arm or whatever.
Speaker 1: You there's so many options to do, and these guys were really good at it. And really I liked watching that to see once again, just uh, you know what talented athletes these guys were. And I mean, when you think about it, they're there, all of them were. They were just blown up. I mean they were just huge, all of them. Even Jake looked great that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh and and.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, and to see them be able to do and move the way they did in the ring, and uh, you know, there was some of course, some misspots, but overall, you know, these guys know exactly what they're doing. But you can't you can't you can't really plot these out. They know when they got to get out. They didn't have at the time where you know, like the referees have the earpieces, well back then they didn't have them, and so a lot of it was hand signals and they would have you know, a referee stationed outside of the ring who would keep talking to the timekeepers so they knew where they were because they did have to keep you know, some kind of a timeline on this, and these guys had an idea, Okay, you're going out at this point, and they get a you know, high sign to now it's time to go.
Speaker 4: But that was a long way to go to.
Speaker 1: Work that angle with the powers of pain and demolition. You know that that was just I mean and really think about it. That's what that that whole thing was about. And the other big point of this event to me, And as I mentioned at the top, that was kind of this mosh pit of an event, a mash well.
Speaker 4: I felt that way about the talent.
Speaker 1: And you know how much I love to see our superstars get their chance on the stage. And in this one, you know, Coco Beware was in the main event. Uh, so I love that. But at the same time, it was just such a collection of I don't want you know, I hate the term mid carters, but in a.
Speaker 4: Sense it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I was thinking where were all of our guys, the ones that really stood out to me, you know, and and a lot of them had departed. Uh you know, we could we could go down the list of how many guys weren't there through whatever reasons, uh, being injured or unhappy and moving on and and so you know, that's where you end up with these guys that are that they are are hooking up with these top card guys, and a lot of it just didn't make any sense. And then you got the Conquistadors, who almost outlast everybody.
Speaker 4: I was thinking of, like.
Speaker 1: You could let these guys win. I know we've got an angle here, but uh yeah, it was just a massive collection and it really felt like they, you know, took ping pong balls out of a basket. As far as how we're going to match people up here, it was, you know, it was all over the place.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that, because yes, when you look at the card, when you think of Golden Era wrestlers, there's a lot at the Survivors series when you're like, I don't consider you part of the Golden Era superstars.
Speaker 3: I consider you like I don't know where it is.
Speaker 2: Like the beginning of the Golden Era where it kind of gets forgotten about. So let's break down the first matchup though, because you have Ultimate Warrior Bruce Beefcake, two Golden Era wrestler.
Speaker 3: Then you have Sam Houston, who's.
Speaker 2: There for a cup of coffee, jumping, Jim Brunzell, one half of the Killer Bees, and Owen Hart, who is at the time.
Speaker 3: The Blue Blazer. Okay, they're taking on.
Speaker 2: The Well Hockey, the Honkey talk Man, Ron Bass, Dangerous Danny Davis who used to be a referee. Now who's a wrestler, Greg the Hammer, Valentine and Bad News Brown?
Speaker 1: Those are your why did the Brawler get screwed on this?
Speaker 3: I Brooklyn Brawler? You wanted him in here.
Speaker 1: Maybe it wasn't the Brawler yet you know it, But I get your point exactly, is like like.
Speaker 2: What Sam Houston, Jim Brunzell, Blue Blazer, Danny Davis, Ron Bass doing here like the rest of them. Again, nothing against any of those wrestlers, but in reality, when you're looking at say a year from now, these people aren't even hearing the company anymore.
Speaker 3: They're gone like that.
Speaker 2: It's just so weird that sometimes when you look at wrestles like a Kempeterra, you're like, wow, look at them. They're there and then you never see them ever again because just timing contracts, disputes over money, and in this match are disputes here. Because originally Don Morocco is on Ultimate Warriors team. Well apparently he quit the company. Now the reason behind this is he was fired, but he quit as well, and this was during a European tour. He was getting a drug test by at the time Nick Bockwinkle and Don Mornco lost his mind on Nick Bockwill streaming at him, even according to the Internet, calling him a pecker Checker, and it was really Don Morocco failed a drug test for steroids.
Speaker 3: He's out, so he quits instead of getting fired.
Speaker 2: So in reality, is this a common thing where wrestlers just getting caught in the acting and like, you know what, you can't fire me?
Speaker 4: I quit? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But at the same time too, there was things worked out where they weren't exactly getting over. I think Jyd was kind of the same situation that he just wasn't you know, he'd been a superstar down a Mid South and had just had never really happened with the ww F WWE, and so he departed. I think, I mean, you saw the shape he was, and so you know it wasn't a steroid issue. But I think that he thought that he'd go back and relive the glory because it just for whatever reason, because you look at and Jim doug And talks about this how massively over Junkyard Dog was at Mid South where he you know, he would say he blew, he would blow the roof off that arena, and uh, and sometimes the translation just didn't happen. These guys would go and you'd think, man, you know, look what they did there, so imagine what they're going to do on this stage. Well, maybe that stage was better suited for them. Uh, they read those crowds better. They weren't used to a lot of people that were in that crowd that weren't true you know, deep seated professional wrestling fans, right, which was pretty much what our audience was at that time. We've we've gotten a lot of people who'd just been attracted to the whole you know, superhero storybook type angles that we were working with this and the characters. So when you had guys you know down mid South that was that was you know, down dirty uh you know, profession well wrestling.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And people used to using to see the use seeing the juice on the you know, on the canvas and.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah riots being stabbed.
Speaker 1: People go yeah, well and and yeah they using the swat team to get you out to the ring and back again. Literally they weren't just cops, you know, these guys would come, they'd have riot gear on that it was so rowdy. So uh, there were a lot of different reasons as you mentioned, some of them were substance related, but also there was just a way that, you know, it was kind of a mutual thing in a sense that hey, it's just not working out here, and you know, maybe if you go away and re establish or just get you know, and maybe get back at a different gimmick.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't all nasty and like fu but it was kind of like, well, it ain't working here, and so I'm going to go away and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: People'll see you down the road.
Speaker 2: I like how done Morocco though, was like the Rock Morocco for a while, original and then like originally you know, as years ago on, people are like, don't you know, Ruki Mayvie isn't the first rock, like using their comic book guy from the Simpson's voice on you to correct you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Morocco's out.
Speaker 2: He quits the company or fire, depending on what you look at that you mentioned Jyd he was originally on Drake to Snake Roberts's team, which we'll get to in a minute, but they both are out of the company, and I feel like there's a group of wrestlers Dahn Morocco Superstar Billy Graham, Bruno Sammartino.
Speaker 3: I feel like those three of the wrestlers who.
Speaker 2: Did so much for the WWF and then they don't continue on into like the real highlight of the Golden era. And I always found that weird where you have three wrestlers so established, so popular, but yet either demons or just wanting more power.
Speaker 3: Didn't like how Hogan was the star. They wanted to be the star.
Speaker 2: Like did you see that a lot around this time in the company where you're seeing the old guard upset that the new guard's taking over.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was a lot a lot of the it was old school, and a lot of them didn't like the direction the company was going in. But at the same time they just weren't capable. You mentioned Superstar, who I had the great opportunity. I got to work with him and just loved him. He was so he was very good to me. But he was not in good shape then and even then, you know, I know that his hip and it wasn't like he wasn't in a situation where he was going to go you know, so people like him, it wasn't like they were really going to be have the ability to even do to be a part of that. But you did have people that just didn't like what Vince was doing with it. Now, they wanted to be a part of the fact that they could make a lot more money.
Speaker 4: But you know, a lot of them, you know, the train.
Speaker 1: Had left the station at this point for you know, people like Bruno and you know, come on, these guys, no question that laid the tracks, but they weren't going to be part of this this era that it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's so sad to see that happening.
Speaker 2: But Jim Brunzell replaces Don Morocco on this team now and again, as I mentioned, Jim Brunzel a year ago is in Survivor Series in the Big Tag Team ten on ten tag team match, the Killer Bees are there.
Speaker 3: He's not a Killer Bee anymore. He's just Jim Brunzell. And you know.
Speaker 2: He was a big wrestler before coming into the ww a former champion, just like his partner be Brian Blair, also part of the Killer Bees.
Speaker 3: Try saying that three times fast, but yet it's hard. It's hard.
Speaker 2: I just think it's interesting what happens here is like you're replacing wrestlers who are part of a match with people who you're not used to seeing in the singles competition. Now they're part of a big team. And plus Owen Hart, the blue Blazer, he's here but right into the matchup great the Hammer of Valentine. Injures Owen Harts, we'll say blue blazer. According to the six I think that we'll say testical. If we can say fun, we can say testical balls.
Speaker 1: Right he had and go ahead and say it. He had blue balls, Okay, for other reasons.
Speaker 3: Damn it, he told I had to write that joke down. Joke.
Speaker 2: Brett Hart, though, later said that Owen's heart testicles swelled to the size of a softball.
Speaker 4: So it just sounds painful even hearing about. You know, it's just it's it's like that natural thing.
Speaker 1: You see a guy take a shot to the groin, and you know, when you're a man, you can't help you. It's just kind of ooh yeah uh and god, I can't even imagine the pain that that he must have been in and it sidelined him for a while. But the Blue Blazer, you know, we you're hearing about just how talented Owen was. I mean, the guy was lighting up before he got to the w w F, he was lighting up the professional wrestling world, you know, going over in Europe and was you know, a phenom in a sense because of the stuff. I think he had kind of the same you know, hype going around him that like Dynamite.
Speaker 4: Kid had before he arrived.
Speaker 1: And when Owen finally got there, they didn't know what to do with them. And I always think the worst thing you can do is you put a mask on the guy, and anytime feathers are involved or sequenced like that, I mean, let put him out there, show people what he can do, and hopefully they find the right spot, the right gimmick for him. But it just didn't happen. And then then he gets hurt, and I don't, you know, there were other things that had physically impacted him, so it did, you know. The timing of it was just terrible, and I really felt bad for Owen because and throughout his career there, you know, I just thought, why can't they figure this south?
Speaker 4: This guy is so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, the stuff that he would do, you know, stuff he walked, the ropes and the flips and the what's amazing. And then imagine trying doing that with a cape on and a mask, where I don't even know.
Speaker 4: How you can do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It's like doing it in the dark because you've got no peripheral vision. And yeah, and he would would would do all this, but uh, you know that was just so unfortunate. And then and that was a that was a big injury that had a big impact on him.
Speaker 2: Blue balls for the Blue Blazer, Yeah, b Brian Blair and the Killer Bees.
Speaker 4: You know, I hated that gimmick.
Speaker 2: The weirdest thing about this whole entire pay per view, though, is Coliseum Video puts out of the adjust tape, but they edit all of the matches except which I consider the most boring match, the ten on ten tag team match. So if you got this Coliseum video of this Survivor series, you got kind of a highlight reel of this matchup. You know, maybe, But not until two thousand and nine when they did the DVD release packages of all the Survivor series, is did you finally get the full actual match? Why do this when you have capabilities to put out at least two VHS tapes to make double your profits or change up the settings of VHS tape EPSP if you don't know, one could be longer, one could be short up, but the quality was different. Yet cut Why cut these matches but keep the tag team match in full?
Speaker 1: That is to this day one of the greatest mysteries because as you said, what we didn't really have a time constraint on this. As you said, if you know, if you only had they had, I don't know if they were ninety minute tapes that you could have and then well a two tape set four. I mean, let's be honest here with these coliseum videos, a lot of those matches were not there were garbage matches. They were these dark matches that I you know, but people ate it up. It didn't matter what it was, It didn't matter who it was. So anything they put out people were just you know, consuming and and you know, and it wasn't even edited. Well like a lot of this stuff was just these hard cut what I mean, I thought, what what that night did they bring in two cases of beer? Whoever was editing and they had they wanted to get to another party? I don't know, because and and the thing was too is if you look at those we did a ton of interviews that were separate from the live broadcast.
Speaker 4: Gene and I and I just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would love to find out what they were thinking, because there was no logic behind it. The matches weren't that bad there. It wasn't a timing issue. It was there was a lot of and a chance to have all these different guys on these yes, on these tapes and like what, yeah it to me?
Speaker 4: I I to this.
Speaker 1: Day, I still don't get it, and it was it was horrible the way they did it, and people still talk about it today of like what the hell, uh, why did they they do that?
Speaker 4: I don't and the fact that you said they.
Speaker 1: Did the the tag team match was the one for in its entirety, which was about forty something minutes long.
Speaker 3: That's like the whole damn tape.
Speaker 4: Like what.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, the axe handles and the arm bars and and thank god they had I think they had the one rule that you couldn't you know, come in and break it up, uh, you know, because that's what a lot of those tag team things would be.
Speaker 4: You know, you're the.
Speaker 1: Tag guys, your guys getting pulverized, and then you come in, you break it up, and they had a rule there that you couldn't come in and do that, which would have probably extended it to an hour and half if they let that go. Uh, but it overall like that's that's what everybody wanted to seek.
Speaker 3: The doors, the big fan.
Speaker 1: All be in there for forty something minutes. Maybe I have no answer for you that one, Steve, because I'm still and then watching it, Uh some of the stuff now and going my god, I mean, just from a producer standpoint, did you even think about how this thing fat fit.
Speaker 4: Next to this thing?
Speaker 1: You just went chop, okay, put it in and let's get the hell out of here and make it make a nice cover and we're all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like some people like disappear from the match, Like sometimes I'm being bounced off the rope and out of nowhere just hard cuts.
Speaker 3: Is something else happening?
Speaker 2: You couldn't like, let me bounce off the rope, come back at clothesline, then you do an edit there. You're right about that. I bet it was a thanksgiven night, you know, just drink and have a good time.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But one thing they did want to point out is it just shows you how strong the tag team division was and says that you could put ten tag teams that were recognizable everybody.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just let's go to your you two are going to be a tag team. You two are going to know they these were you know, it's pretty absolutely established tag teams.
Speaker 2: I love seeing the Bolsheviks, uh, Steve's favorite tag team.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Rougos and which were heels at the time, and I love the facts when they came out, you know that everybody's coming out and they got the tiny little American flags because they're going to be moving to America, which was I thought it was boys, but they're in a sense, they're they're trying to put themselves over and and have the Americans love us. When when in the sense you know you're you're burying it. You know, you come out with a little flag, like when you come out with this big, giant American flag, and you know it was just another little, you know, jab.
Speaker 4: That put them over the other.
Speaker 1: Backstage angle to this and I'm sure you were going to bring it up, but I did mention the Rigo brothers that the British Bulldogs were also in that encounter. And I know all of our historians out there know very well what was.
Speaker 4: Going on between those two tag teams and.
Speaker 1: How it was strategically done to make sure that these two tag teams didn't end up really getting to see each other even backstage. And it's I don't know if you caught it, but early on in that match, Jacques and Dynamite actually go at it in the ring a bit not where there, and you know everybody's watching. You know it's Dynamite because Dynamite was known to he could he knew how to deliver in the ring if he wanted to make it stiff. But I think that he was under a really strict direction from Vince that you try anything, I'll make sure you never work in this business again. And uh, you know, and there was, you know, a couple of encounters. The Rougino brothers went out early because Vince wanted them out of the arena. He didn't want to take any chance that these guys were going to run into.
Speaker 4: Each other backstage.
Speaker 1: But whether it was planned or how it just went with the tag whatever, But both Ray and Jacques did a little dance in the in the ring with Dynamite. So I just thought that was pretty interesting to see if you knew what was happening backstage, and I know everybody else was back.
Speaker 4: On Okay, anything's gonna go on here, you know because I know because my kid was just he was a loose canning.
Speaker 1: You never knew that he might just say ef it and you know Cranik a shot, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what's strange about this match too, is like you're first off, I mean you mentioned Aultonate Warrior is the sole survivor of the first matchup if you didn't know, so he's dominating there. This is really big for his paper of you in this twenty man tag team elimination match. I'm surprised that you'd actually allow Dynamite and Jock to get in the ring together because obviously, yes, everyone's backstage, and if you're watching this event while getting ready for your match, or you're backstage watching this events and you see these two steps in the ring, I can only imagine the reaction backstage going holy shit, like this happened backstage, no fan saw this. What if this happens in front of everyone's eyeballs on Thanksgiving Eve on Thanksgiving time, and let's break down the tag teams for a second. Because you have Demolition. The Conquisa Doors. Now Conquista Doors at this time are not superstars. They are on TV putting over other big teams, so very shocking to even see them here. The Brainbusters, the Bolsheviks, the Fabulous Rougeos, they taking on the Heart Foundation, the Rockers, the British Bulldogs, Powers of.
Speaker 3: Pain in Young Stallions. Now those are your teams.
Speaker 2: Fun fact is the first time and only time at Faberseries that Chum Michaels and Brett.
Speaker 3: Hart are on the same team.
Speaker 2: They do wrestle each other at ninety two Cyberseries and the World Championship Match. They do fight each other at Sarvaseries ninety seven and Treal screw Job.
Speaker 3: So this is just a little fun fact for you.
Speaker 2: But again, when you're backstage watching this match, or anyone's watching this match, or is everyone very concerned, what's gonna happen with the Bulldogs and the Rugos?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah. There was definitely.
Speaker 1: Tension and any time that they were in the same building, you didn't you kind of had that feeling. That's something you know that if Dynamite didn't let anything go with anybody, it was always he was going to get even with anybody.
Speaker 4: That crossed him.
Speaker 1: Uh, he had that mentality, and so there was, yes, absolutely the tension. But I also think which which uh you know, you get into a little deeper with Vince McMahon here, is that you know, he had to h control this circus where you've got all these different personalities. And I don't don't can't confirm this, but I just saw the way he would do this once in a while where he would you know, make an example in a sense out of somebody to send the message to the rest of the guys is you know, I'm the guy that's in control here. And I almost think that he wanted to make sure that there was some kind of these guys would you know, meet up somehow in the ring and nothing would happen because I'm in control here. I told that guy, if it happens, you're done. And so the fact that Dynamite went in there and followed the script didn't do anything kind of sent the message to the guys that you know, hey, yeah, we know who's really in control here. And you know, like I said, both of them, ray En and dynam and Jacques tangled with with Dynamite in there and it was brief, and they did what they had to do and then they would they get out. And so, uh, that's just another example. You can't you know, just imagine being Vince McMahon and uh, you know, it's not like it is today where most of these guys are just you know, contracted performers. Yeah, I'm not taking anything away from their physical talent and their their talent, you know, their everything they do. But back then, you've got a bunch of guys that you know, came from all over the country, worked in these territories, and when you had a beef, you didn't go to the promoter and say, this guy's picking on me.
Speaker 4: It was okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Settle it in the ring or what do you want to do this backstage because it's going to happen. And so it was a lot harder to control all these personalities who'd been used to uh settling it that way. And you had a massive collection of guys just like that. I mean, you could go down the list one after another, bad News Brown and you know all these guys that when it came down to it, they were kind of like said justice too, I don't give it.
Speaker 4: I'm not making enough.
Speaker 1: It's not worth enough to me and your question, you know, you're stepping in on my dignity.
Speaker 4: It's a man and all that.
Speaker 1: You know that my cheese mo And so there was always that element that there are they would just say f you and you know, and Vince McMahon got took shots to the face more than once from these guys who you know, weren't making any money or whatever or felt that he didn't deliver on a promise, and that's how they settled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't want to compare them to like wild animals, but you know, like an animal in the pound has been doing something on the streets for so long, will now vincon Man comes along, brings them in, has to retrain them between their mind and their attitudes towards the business. Because they came to going around like, hey, let's go beat drop in the parking lot.
Speaker 3: No, because you have to work tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And these fans paid to see through jows the bulldogs. We can't have to be walking around injured because people are paying to see you. And you know, and if you don't really know about this, you know, Dynamite Kid was bullying Jock.
Speaker 3: Well, Jock eventually is like, okay, you want to fuck with me?
Speaker 2: Well, roller quarters in his hand, punches dynamite in the face, knocks out his teeth, and this sets up the Rougeau Bulldog robbery backstage. And I've interviewed Jock about this, and I think we even did a whole podcast about the British Bulldogs about this whole scenario. We talked for like forty five minutes about this exactual fight, how it separated the locker room for a little while. But now you have a match where they're actually in it together. And I love how you put it together, where you're saying, well, Vince is in charge. He's going to prove in front of everyone in the world he's in charge by allowing these two men to touch each other on television, and Vince is going to control them and making sure they play nice and not go into business for themselves, which really shows you Vince cracking the whip and listen, no wrestler is bigger than the wrestling business. And I think Vinccman always tried to make sure people understood that. I know that's why probably him and Hogan had such a beef as years would go on, because maybe Hogan did become bigger than the business, and Vince did not like that because he wanted to maybe possibly take credit a sum for creating whole comania in the whole Cogan brand. Possibly. But this match does not get edited. As we mentioned, it goes forty minutes. It's actually on YouTube as well if you want to watch the whole thing that did upload, you know, Hogan's match or Warriors match.
Speaker 3: They're like, hey, you know what, the kids want to watch this. I'm sorry, nobody.
Speaker 1: All to see mister Fuji to a double turn X with the cane in the double.
Speaker 3: Turn Yeah, and that's the same way to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty minutes to get to mister Fuji helping out Powers of Pain and then Demolition beating up mister Fuji in the end. Now we have Demolition as babyfaces Powers of Paint our heels. I interviewed the world about this. He was not happy about this because he felt like it hurt his bottom line because now little kids aren't telling their dad to go buy them of Pain merch because they're bad guys. They're telling their dad to go buy Demolition shirts because they're good guys. Powers of Pain did win the match, but how often I know, this is like a different business where you're trying to make sure the world knows you actually are a bad guy or you actually are a good guy. But in reality, it's a business. You're trying to make money. Wor Lord and Barbarian obviously lose money by turning. He like, do you ever hear the stories of people refusing because they realize the bottom line of their money is going to be completely ruined.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure they tried, but yeah, but I don't remember anyone really being successful at doing that. You pretty much did what they wanted you to do. If you wanted to keep working, now you could explain, you know, you could plead your case, and maybe in some instances they went, hey, you know, maybe that makes more sense. I think that that did happen. But if they were set on turning or however they were going to do or work for a storyline to you know, they saw that demolition was h you know, getting reception and getting really over and so let's let's turn them. So yeah, and and and also I'm sure when it comes down to it, you know, babyface or heel, what an opportunity for the warlord?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know what an opportunity for bar Barbarian to get that push. It didn't. It never really worked. And I that was you know, an example to me.
Speaker 1: Steve, of where you're trying to force something and as we've learned time and time and time again that you can't do it. Uh, it's all up to those folks in the seats out there. And that was another classic example. I mean they have them, you know, when that whole thing and it just was always want, want, want, you know, it just didn't really happen, and you got to have that personality and Warlord did get better adding promos.
Speaker 4: Barbarian was always who he was.
Speaker 1: I loved him, but you had to have somebody like, you know, a manager with them to try and put them over. And when it really comes down to it, you got to be able to carry you know, the character, that's what I used to call.
Speaker 4: You got to carry that.
Speaker 1: And you know, Undertaker was a classic example in a sense that you know earlier.
Speaker 4: I mean how many words did he say but when he but he didn't.
Speaker 1: Have to that that personality, that that presence that he had was so powerful that you know, Paul Barrow was great for it.
Speaker 4: But let's say he didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think that it would make that much of a difference because he was so over and didn't have to say that anything.
Speaker 4: So it all comes down to carrying that character. It really does.
Speaker 1: Can you put that gimmick over? And Powers of Pain was just not going to happen, never did.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a quick question, and maybe you know you don't know the conquistadors names.
Speaker 3: Do you remember what their actual names were?
Speaker 5: Jose Estrada no no, no, no no no there wrestling like their wrestling character names.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I knew it was Jose, Luis Rivett, I was the other one, yea.
Speaker 4: One and two.
Speaker 1: But you know that was that was kind of but that was kind of along the lines of Mexican Luta Daughter's you know that they would it was you know, you would be the you know, the the crusher one. But that is that's that's hilarious. And I know if you ever saw the the Warehouse bit I did with Peter Rosenberg that we did for the the Anniversary episode and they had the Conquistadors in it and they and it was one of the funniest parts that whole bit. As they come out with you know anyway, because yeah, you know, and those and they they.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's all they think.
Speaker 2: That's how they spoke, I guess, you know, but hilarious, you know.
Speaker 1: But but I I have to think was it a rib to have them, you know, be like the last tag team in that match? I just have to think it was. I I just see Pat and them just and Bruce thinking it was hilarious, like what what the Conquista doors last this whole thing, you know, because they got the crap beat out of them and you're like you what, you know, the shoulders up, like what what? So I think it was I think it was a rib just to have them, you know, last to the.
Speaker 4: End, and.
Speaker 2: You know, in Dose go to the end like they're the second to last team in the matchup. The Powers of Pain do win this and it's hilarious because everybody has a manager. You have Slick, you have Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenen and mister Fuji all at ringside for that matchup.
Speaker 3: But this is the end of the British Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: They're out of the company after this, and recently some pictures have popped up Vince McMahon visiting Japan around this time a few months after this, and the Bulldogs are competing there and I saw the story was amazing. I was shotgun. I never saw these photos before. And Vince's backstage in Japan and the Bulldogs are in these photos. And then the caption was Vince McMahon walks in it like, oh, Bulldogs, when you're coming back? And according to the story, Dynamite Kids said, We're never coming back.
Speaker 3: You see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Well, Davy Boy Smith comes back and he does has a pretty decent run in the WWF.
Speaker 3: Done of my kid.
Speaker 2: He is done with the company. Next matchup, though, is Jake to Snink Roberts his team versus under the Giants team. As you mentioned before, some of these wrestlers you're wondering why are they here, And so far we've discovered Conhesadors and Sam Houston and Mom Bass. But in this match you have Jake this, Nick Roberts, Hacksaw, Jim Duggett, Tito Santana. Makes sense to me. Also on the team is Ken Petera. If you don't know, he has an amazing story about beating up a bunch of police officers and some time, yeah, two years and according to kem Petera while he was in jail for two years. Vince McMahon paid him the whole time while he was in jail. And when people give vinccman shit for all the things he's ever done in this world, when I heard that story, I thought, wow, like he didn't have to do that at all, but he did a lot of it.
Speaker 1: And there's there's countless numbers of stories that just showed the But it also showed.
Speaker 4: You just how.
Speaker 1: You know, what a unique character Vince McMahon is that you just you know, he would do horrific things and just humiliating things to people.
Speaker 4: And then at the same time he.
Speaker 1: Was he took care of a lot of guys that you know, Freddie Blassie was forever ambassador.
Speaker 4: And they continue to pay him.
Speaker 1: And Freddie would just, you know, as I told you, stories of us hanging out because he lived in Scarsdale, and we would go to all of these events because he was in the area. And every year they'd put him in a helicopter and he'd go to the Macy's Day Parade and I mean, he just was and Vince, I mean Freddie, there wasn't a whole lot Freddy could do. Freddy's every piece of his body was fused together, but you know he still had it and but Vince kept him on the payroll because and countless other guys. So he had this the side of him that a lot of people don't know that much about. But that's one of the examples like that, him paying Ken Petera.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't something he publicly, you know, made.
Speaker 1: Sure everybody knew about, no, but you know he did that for a lot of those guys, and you know guys that went in with him early and stuck by him and loyal, Well he was loyal right back to them.
Speaker 2: Kem Petera. Again, he had a wife and a child at the time. So if you man ended up paying the whole time. So you know this, his house still has a mortgage while he's in jail. You know, they still need to eat. And Vin's paid that entire time and they used at his jail time is a storyline when he got back and they debuty.
Speaker 3: He didn't work out for him there.
Speaker 2: But Scott Casey's also on Jake the Snake Roberts's team now originally on Jake's team. You have Jyd Well he quits because he sees more opportunities somewhere else. He is replaced by b Ryan Blair of the Killer Bees. He also quits the company because they want him to turn heel eventually, and he says, no, I don't want to do that, so he's out. They both get replaced by Scott Casey. Scott Casey is an enhancement talent weekly on Superstars and Wrestling Challenge and Primetime Wrestling. So just like Casadores, you're like, damn it, we're running out of people. We gotta throw somebody in there. Scott Casey. Why why Scott? You couldn't find anybody else?
Speaker 4: No, obviously not the you know, I said the roster was.
Speaker 1: A bit thin at the time as far as recognizable names, and uh, you know, I'm surprised I usin g at eighty eight. I thought we were stronger then, but you know, that was further down the road when we had you know, and some of these guys became more established. But yeah, it was kind of like, Okay, he's a good hand, Okay, put him in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just it's shocking, like everyone's coming down the island. Then you see Scott Casey, who's he Yeah, Yeah, Who's who's this guy? He this the guy who lost a Dino Bravo on Superstars ten thousand times in a row. But on on Andre's team, you have armed a giant Dino Bravo, Rick Rude, Harley Race, mister Perfect. So established teams right there. All great wrestlers, all great talented wrestlers. I always enjoyed them. It's all about how Andrea's afraid of Jake Snake, and Andre's health is obviously always a concern every time the seeds, But like, how long did they think they could just keep pushing Andre out there? Because Rustumania is six in nineteen ninety is the end of Andre's real run in the company because he can no longer physically continue doing this. Even in this match, he is holding onto the top rope while doing moves. He's not active like Resumenia three. The dude is in the middle of the ring. He's not standing by the rope the whole time, chopping Hogan. Like at one point, do you think, like, maybe we shouldn't keep doing this, but Andre wants to keep going, so we allow this to keep happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I mean he didn't really actually.
Speaker 1: Wasn't totally gone for a number more of more years, you know, I think it was ninety two or ninety three before.
Speaker 2: Well he passes away in ninety three, but he's no longer active. And after nineteen ninety's done wrestling, yeah physically.
Speaker 4: But he was still around.
Speaker 1: And yeah, but as we've talked about, you know, Andre, that was that's all he had in a sense, and it was it was tough for him to want to go away.
Speaker 4: He didn't want to.
Speaker 1: He wanted to, uh, maybe not make as many appearances, but he didn't want to just not be seen anymore. And so you know, Vince had this very difficult situation of wanting to protect him in a sense that in his image and his lasting legacy not to be this crumpled giant with an obvious pain all the time. And but you know, but Andre didn't want to let it go because he loved that atmosphere. He loved being a part of it. And so they would find things for him to do where he would not have to be really active in the ring and make him part of the storyline. But it was it was sad to watch that whole period of time, and I wish I would have been around him when he was younger, because I know Lord Alfred Hayes telling me he remembered him as a seventeen year old kid who could bounce all over the ring. He said he was an incredible athlete. He played soccer. He was, you know, a very talented athlete.
Speaker 3: Doing dropkicks, yeah, videos, right, yeah, and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the stuff. If you see stuff with him performing in Japan.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was all over the ring and could do everything. But when you're carrying around that much weight and your body is taking a beating like that, it gets beat down a lot earlier than others. And by the time, you know, Andrea was near forty, he was already a wreck. So you know, I think that we all were hoping and praying that that maybe not necessarily going to be the ring, but he was going to live a lot longer. But you know, that was that was just a fact. People that are that have that disease don't live for a long time, and that was certainly the case with Andre. And it wasn't like he really took care of himself either.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Good, Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: You know, he is a giant, so he's just like well, this is the time where you can be big and that's all you really need, Haystat Calhouns or you know people King Kong Bun and things like that, like you just a big dude, Hey, you should be a wrestler, and that it was kind of still the circus where now I wouldn't say the freaks, but like if if you were really tall or really big, boom, you can make a living in this business because it was about traveling to town to town being an attraction versus being being an athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there weren't and it wasn't like the crowd was going to be disappointed that he didn't do something right right everybody, but you know, everybody understood in a sense what his limitations were and if he would if he would get out there, you know, and you know, here's the arm on somebody, and you know, he wasn't gonna be go taking these big bumps and he was gonna get tied up in the ropes or whatever it was going to be. But that's all he had to do. It was just him being out there, people seeing him, and uh, thee the fans understood that.
Speaker 3: That's a good point too.
Speaker 2: Miss the perfect and Dino Bravo are the survivors in this matchup. But Rick Rude, he's wearing some lovely tights. He always know, he was always known for amazing tights. Well, this one particular service series, he's wearing tights with a woman's hands or grabbing his crotch in his ass and uh, apparently people loved it backstage, but I cually imagine when you know you bring a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, cover your eyes, Timmy, what going on, daddy?
Speaker 2: Like there's a hands What were the thoughts behind this because there was always these rumors. I know Jake and Rick Rud had a storyline where Rick Rud was hitting on Jake's wife and put her face on his crotch and yeah, the room is that we don't knows whose hands these are grabbing his crotch and backside.
Speaker 3: But what do people think of these?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they loved them. But at the same time, it wasn't you know, the attitude here. It wasn't we weren't in the gutter yet. It was very family friendly, is uh uh you know, we we know what's going on at the time. We love those crowd shots and the kids with the whole the whole Commania banners on and you know, the foam fingers, and then you got Rick fruit with a very suggestive uh. And the person that did his tights was really good. Uh. But he loved pushing it, and I I just had to wonder that day. I don't think Vincao. It was kind of like one of those what the hell is that?
Speaker 4: What is he doing?
Speaker 1: And there's also you know, the great story that you know, they went on Live with Regis and Kathy Lee with Bobby and and Rick had tights with Regis on his ass, I think, and and uh and Kathy Lee's face on his crotch.
Speaker 4: And she left the set.
Speaker 1: She was visible, like visibly upset by the whole thing that, you know, and and and offended. But he, yeah, he loved doing that, that whole bit with him and the hips out there and you Hillbilly's out there with your boyfriend. You know, you want to be here with me, And yeah, it worked, But that day I know that, you know, it was kind of a lot of those things. Everyone's gonna like, Vince see those you know, like whoo and goes out there and.
Speaker 3: Let's see those hips hands grad.
Speaker 1: Vince was like, what the hell you know not that he didn't love the toilet humor. I mean, there's no question about it. But Vince was wasn't good for business. I think in the way he was thinking about it, so but he got away with it.
Speaker 2: When you're selling like bed sheets and you know, little toys and action fas and wrestling buddies, and you got one of your guys buddies women's hands grabbing your dick and your ass, well that might be a problem. We're here the main event. It's the Megapower scene versus a Twin Towers team. It's Whole Cog and Rainy Savage, Coco Beware he'll Billy Jim and Hercules.
Speaker 3: It's this big boss Man, a Keem million Dollar Man, Haku and the Red Roosters on this team.
Speaker 2: Now, the whole concept behind some barvisiers usually is a team captain and then they have a team.
Speaker 3: In this particular match, we have co captains.
Speaker 2: The rumor is we have co captains because we don't want Hulk Cogan to be beneath Macha Man, who is the world champion, or we don't want mach A Man beneath Hut Cogan.
Speaker 4: You want to be on Hulk's team champion.
Speaker 3: How much thought went into that.
Speaker 2: We're like, well, we have egos, we can't piss off anyone here. Let's make sure that both men feel like they're the captains, they're co captains.
Speaker 3: Like did that actually make anyone happy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think because remember they're working at the angle here, they're starting to work that angle with Elizabeth who's in there, and the tension between the hul Cogan and and Randy.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it made made sense. I don't think anybody objected to the fact.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't Why wouldn't the you know, the champion be a captain and the whole Cogan was whole Cogan And so I think that the the only thing that really did stand out is, of course at the end, Hogan must pose.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So there was always that that that shoot of uh, you know, whether you like it or not, I'm I'm the king, I'm the king, I'm the real king here and uh and and.
Speaker 4: Terry always had to have that.
Speaker 1: It was basically, you know, there were certainly times where he you know, would put people over, but the bottom line was is that just know that when it all comes.
Speaker 4: Down to it, I'm the king maker.
Speaker 1: And so when when when the last shut thing in what people remembering is you know, the whole Hulk and that was very important to him. And I'm sure you know Randy knew how things work, but I I I'll guarantee you I believe that you know, it irked him.
Speaker 4: It was like, you know, can you just give it up? Yeah once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the world champion. Don't you want me to be? You know, health, that's how you.
Speaker 1: Put that's how you elevate everybody else. And uh, you know, selfishly, I think in some ways, you know, Terry didn't what's going to do that and whether it was Randy or anybody, but you know, that was business too. Like Terry was going to do everything he could. He had to take care of Hulk Ink and uh, that's what the whole business is about.
Speaker 2: It is interesting that so much hate lands on Hulk Cogan as long as like in life, in and death.
Speaker 3: Because of the way he used his.
Speaker 2: Power in politicking to get these moments of being able to pose say by himself or being able to be a co captain when he's not world champion. And if you're a whole Cogan and you're his friends and you're his family. They're not going like, hey, you shouldn't do that. They're thinking, yeah, keep doing that, because while you do that, you help us. And I get it. Savage is the world champion. So if I was matching man, of course, it's like any job. If you are, say the manager at your job, as Machaman was saying, the manager is the world champion. But you have an employee that everybody loves more than everybody thinks is better than you. And yet you're supposed to be the head honchow, but yet no one thinks you are.
Speaker 3: That must have eaten Matchhimen alive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but let's not forget.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that about how business works, but you know this is even more so that you're on your own and you got to fight and scratch for every inch you get, and you turn your back or or don't keep up that pressure or you know, persistence, then you're gonna lose. You're gonna fall back down the down the ladder. And uh, you know you got to give those guys credit. Uh, you could say what you want about Terry Belia. I went on how he conducted business, but that's what kept him on top for as long as as he was and.
Speaker 4: And same with Randy. Randy did the same thing in his own way, but.
Speaker 1: It was that's that's how it worked, uh and and Vince kept it that way.
Speaker 4: It was not a team sport.
Speaker 1: It's just not that. It wasn't like you know, teams at the corporate level or something. Sorry, you know, it all comes out as long as you're an earner for me will take care of you. If you're not, I got somebody else. And so that's that's the way it was. They never that's.
Speaker 4: There was no union.
Speaker 1: There was no uh, you know, taking care of your you know, you took care of your buddies, but there was no uh, you know, Okay, now it's your turn.
Speaker 2: Right And especially I saw Chelsea Green do an interview about this recently where she said, you could be the greatest, you could try the hardest and works as much as you can. It doesn't matter because it's vinsic man show. If he thinks that you maybe you're working as hard as you can and you're doing the best work you can, well, he doesn't see it that way. It's a one man showed reality, and he wants what he wants and he doesn't give a shit if you're trying as hard as you can.
Speaker 3: Because Hogan is the one. Look look out. We see yellow T shirts everywhere.
Speaker 2: Look at the action figures, the foam fingers, the bandan is he's selling the merch. Hey, you know, maybe Sam Houston is working double shots and doing all this great work.
Speaker 3: Well guess what you're not bringing in the merch? Well, we don't care.
Speaker 4: That's all numbers. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think people forget about that part where in football or basketball it's really based on athletic skill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like if.
Speaker 2: I beat you in basketball, it's athletic skills that I beat you in basketball. This is you have to have the look, you have to have the right touch, the right time, the it factor. It's not based in real skill. It's based in talent of being a great performer. In Hogan, whatever you think of him, an amazing performer, and that's why he's in the state where he is. If I was manching man, of course I'd be angry. I'm the world champion, But why am I not on every poster by myself?
Speaker 3: Why am I not everywhere by myself? I get it, But then you.
Speaker 4: Got to be a shark too.
Speaker 1: That's Another part of that mentality is that you you know, you could, you could have all of that, but if you aren't willing to, you know, cut the line and do whatever you gotta do to stay up there on top, you're gonna get knocked right off that mountain because somebody will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: And like in this whole card, you realize some of these names are not going to be household names or not. Scott Casey's not going home and with a million dollar check, no, like he after this event. It's like, where'd Scott Casey go? You know, in the future. When you think of Wrestler's Top ten, Top twenty, Hogan and Savage are on that list.
Speaker 3: Some names aren't.
Speaker 2: Why are some names on the list because they were ruthless when they had to stay on top. They weren't gonna let someone else step on them. They were gonna step on you first. And I think people forget that all the time about wrestling or just in life in general, where if you won't step on that guy, he'll step on you first.
Speaker 1: Jake Roberts classic example. You take somebody like that who didn't have the drive and the ruthlessness and the you know, creativeness and all that.
Speaker 4: He could have been a.
Speaker 1: Very very mediocre wrestler, low card guy forever, but that wasn't Jake Roberts.
Speaker 3: No, he's one of the best of all time.
Speaker 2: And during this just matchup though Big Boss Man, he gets huging on the outside, he handcuffs him to the bottom up and beats the living crap out of him with his nightstick, and.
Speaker 3: He he's taking.
Speaker 2: Some celeberties with those with these shots. He's a little I'll tap you a little bit. This is one of those first like, oh my god moments where ears would go on. Where you see you know, Repo Man hanging the British bulldog by a news by his hook, you see Jake with a King Cobra biting. Is this like really one of the first moments I'm like, oh, this is not a kid friendly moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No then, and I think that kind of reverberated around that people are like, wow, did you see that? You know it wasn't just a cup you know, a shot and laid across the back. You know he was doing you know, punching them with it, yeah, headshots that looked like.
Speaker 3: Choking them with it. Like yeah, yeah, it's an endless beat down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that they they that was intended at least on the part of you know, Big boss Man and Hulk too. Hulk wanted like, yeah, you know, let's lay it in, make this look really good. And they pulled it off because a lot of people were really kind of like, oh my god, you know, that was brutal and uh, you know, boss Man was really good on that thing with that stick, and really he could make it look like like he just walloped the guy across his skull and the guy never felt the thing. And it was the same as you know, the way you know, you see, guys are really good at punches and that timing and you know, and that's you really had to be good at that, and you had to really trust the guy you were working with that.
Speaker 4: You know, that that was doing that.
Speaker 1: And boss Man was one of those guys you could here, I mean he was he was really good at it.
Speaker 2: And like while this is happening, oh my god, he sold it like someone was shooting in the face. But while this is going on, Macha Man is also getting beaten up, and this again is starting the friction of the Mega Powers, where Savage is looking for a tag well, Hogan's handcuff from the bottom savage. Come on, dude, like I need to tag you, Like, what are you doing down there? Getting beat up with a come on? Can you help me out? So like they're they're teasing these little bits here and there having the Mega powers explode. But as the DVD releases have we talked about how this Survivors series is edited terribly for the VHS release. Well, when the DVD's come out later, you're all excited, I can't wait to watch this. It's full, it's I got to see all the matches. We get to this matchup and Coco Bees wears ass is blurred out the whole time, and you're thinking, is like his dick, So what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like did he have ravishing Rick Rude's artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not blurred on his crotch there, But cocobe Ware has the w w F logo on his ass company man all the way through. But in when the DVD is released in two thousand and nine, well, the World Wildlife Fund has already sued the WWF for the name brand. We have switched to WWE, so we cannot show that logo.
Speaker 3: So if you have the two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: DVD releases, Coco's ass has blurred the whole time.
Speaker 3: And this is really just stupid. It's stupid because it involves the website.
Speaker 2: Apparently the World wild World Wildlife Fund got the rights to the website before WWF.
Speaker 3: Yes, why couldn't you.
Speaker 2: Just I don't know, like, instead of smelling out WWF dot com, why don't just call it World Wrestling Federation dot com.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but when it came down to it, and let's just say, Okay, they win the lawsuit, they get the rights to WWF.
Speaker 4: But part of that.
Speaker 1: Deal would have been, look, all right, fine, we gotta you know, we're gonna change the WWE where we're gonna do, but to say, look, everything we've done to this point, we're not going to magically eliminate. So it's gonna show up because it's from a different era before this happened.
Speaker 4: And if it's out there, who cares?
Speaker 1: Do you think anybody's gonna confuse that cocob ware has got WWF on his ass because he's trying to promote the World Wildlife Fund And why not then okay, then maybe then look what we're promoting the WWF for you.
Speaker 4: It was just and you've.
Speaker 1: Seen the man hours, the person hours, you know it took to eliminate all of that.
Speaker 4: It's just so stupid. It just makes no sense to me.
Speaker 1: It should have just been okay, from moving forward, anything that we do will not have a WWF logo on it. But give us a break. We've been at this for a while. There's a lot of material on video and other things. We uh, you know, we'll take down whatever we can from our websites and all that, but everything else out there, come on, give us a break.
Speaker 2: It was truly insane because I remember buying the WrestleMania Anthology, was the first twenty WrestleManias, and all the turn buckles for like at least I don't know, like six WrestleManias. The logos are on the turn buckles. That's three in each courage. Every time they every time they showed a turn buckles spot and again these are y camera shots close ups they blurted out. It ruined the experience of watching these events because no longer were they intact.
Speaker 1: Not anybody would have noticed it or paid any attention. And you know today when you edit, you can track it. You know you know, if you want to blur something and you'd put to you know, I don't know exactly how it works, but I've seen how people do that and then it'll automatically do it. Well back then, uh, they didn't have anything that did that really attracted. So if the thing moved, you would have to keep you'd have to manually go wherever it went to blur it out. And it was a long process. You're talking, you know, hours and hours. It's just stupid. Anyway, that's a good side note to all that, but it really made no sense to me.
Speaker 4: And big deal.
Speaker 1: Maybe they liked the fact that every time it was blurred, people would say, well, why is that, and then somebody would tell them the story of the World Wildlife Fund. I don't know, but good lord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we weren't using panda bears with Kocobe War's ass well.
Speaker 1: And then also the whole thing is that you know we do it, I do it that when we talk about it, it's like we mentioned WWF, like, oh, I mean WWE. Well it wasn't WWE back then. It was WWF. But you know, everybody, all the wrestlers today, you hear them talking and they'll say you know back in nineteen eighty whatever the WWE was it, It's like, I know you really want to say ww S.
Speaker 3: I always will say WWF on the show.
Speaker 4: No, I will not do with the disclaimer in there.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know WWE, but I just think you recognize what it was and it was part of an era and things changed and then it became the WWE.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I will never even like Twitter and X. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's Twitter forever for me. Folks can call it X all you want, but it's not what do you call it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: You can't say it's a tweet anymore. It's what is it?
Speaker 4: An X?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get We're not going to get sued by Ela mosqu here, alright.
Speaker 4: And what is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: When somebody they they tweeted you, You could say that, but what do they exed me?
Speaker 3: They X you?
Speaker 4: I guess so confused.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm still confused.
Speaker 2: Why we're talking about Cookobee Wears asked more than cold and match a man Raandy Savage, But that's just me. Obviously, the Mega Powers do win the match up, and we do see Savage looking hurt in discourage but there's Hogan posing, and more Elizabeth lurking, and more, more eyeball looking, and more as.
Speaker 3: They're lust in those eyes. We're still continuing that.
Speaker 2: Started at Summer Slam eighty eight, the first ever Summer Slam, and then here we are at the second Survivors Series, continuing on that and they get it builds to Rumble eighty nine, build off on that main event match where Machman gets thrown out of the ring and the lands on Elizabeth and Hogan's backstage. We've talked about that a little bit here and there, but this is really again another breadcrumb and the loaf of the Mega Powers exploding storyline.
Speaker 3: So the biggest thing about the crumb, Yeah, yeah, I just made it up right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, use use it tonight at work when you talk about politics. I just think it's funny, though, how chopped up this event really was.
Speaker 3: Like again, it's very strange that happened.
Speaker 2: But all in all, this is I think I've noticed over this course of talking about it, this is the end of the rocking and Wrestling era where we had Don Morocco on Saturday morning cartoons on the Rock and Wrestling Connection cartoon, we had Tito on there as well. That part's over. We no longer have that era. We are in the whole Camania Golden Era. We're only going up here, We're not going back down. So for you, like the Golden Era obviously is going on now, but is this just truly the end of another era inside of the Golden Era?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as we talked about earlier, that the roster at the time was a little thin. They hadn't really established these superstars. I mean, I think at one point, you know, there was forty superstars that were.
Speaker 4: Just household names, you know.
Speaker 1: So, uh and I'm based, I'm basically a newcomer to this and uh and and you know, I feel blessed that I that I came in when I did, because, uh then I feel like, you know, the beginnings, it was about whole Camania, but it was just whole Comania.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really all these other things going on.
Speaker 1: Randy is getting, you know, really established, and then you're gonna eventually see the emergence of people like Sean Michaels and and Brett Hart on his own and and all that. So there's a lot going on. But you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: It was. It was another beginning, I think in a sense, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, I really I just thought, when I look back, what a great time to be a part of the w w F. Then then, yeah, and we still had the tag teams. It was that was still very strong. But then you started to see some of these other personalities really start to uh come to the forefront and become household names among all of the fans out there that can that base continued to grow. So, yeah, you're you're I felt exactly the same way that it was really coming into what would become as we refer to all the time as a Golden Era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what we call this podcast right here on the Golden with Sean Mooney. And again, this is your first Survivor series, and you know we've talked about so many other events, But for you, before we wrap this up, Oka, what does this Sarvisaries mean to you personally?
Speaker 3: Not as a talent working there, but for you.
Speaker 2: Personally, because this is your first one, You've only been there for about six months. How are you feeling mentally after this event and then rewatching it again?
Speaker 4: Well, that is a great question.
Speaker 1: And I got a chance to look at some of these early interviews that I did, and I could just.
Speaker 4: See how I was developing. I was getting more comfortable.
Speaker 1: And one thing that was great about these events, these events is that it gave me the opportunity to do a lot of work and work with a lot of different people, and so I could see whatever, you know, my shtick or my development was happening. And I do remember a conversation having with Vince that I really liked some of the backstage stuff where because I kind of looked at it. My viewpoint was doing a you know, a backstage interview with a professional athlete, you know, say it was a professional baseball player or a football player.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: And Vince said, yes, that's right, but you remember your take, it's got to be to another level. It's always with us, it's another level. And I saw that, you know, that was a little too casual almost, you know, it was almost.
Speaker 4: Kind of like the hand in the pocket kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: And if you'll see, from that point on though, it was always you know, the energy was was completely different, and so that was you know, it was all part of my development. But I did really like doing these events because you know, the pressure was on and you would be in these mass interviews and I always felt like, you know, once you got when I got through with those and I and successfully yeah, and everything went well, and that belt that would build your confidence.
Speaker 4: And I just could see I started getting.
Speaker 1: More and more comfortable, more and more confident, And it was because of doing these kind of events, because it was you know, you had to nail.
Speaker 2: It, especially between you know, eight different people with wrestlers, with managers, the mass, the bo maybe even surrounding you backstage while interviewing is a hygiene.
Speaker 3: Well for these wrestlers, No, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of baby oil.
Speaker 1: I remember a lot of smells, yeah, and few were a little more fragrant than others who didn't watch those tights as often.
Speaker 5: But I'll rombas yeah, yeah, I think the ropes probably smelled more than anything but the last.
Speaker 1: But anyway, you know, as I always have said, you know, you didn't want to be the guy, and that that screwed it up. And so it was tremendous training for me. And I lean back even to this day of those days that after that, no matter what I did, there was never pressure.
Speaker 4: That I felt like I did then.
Speaker 1: And when you could you know, as I always say, you know, answer the call, stand in front of that red light and go and get it done. There's nothing like that that then, the way it was then, And I've done a lot of things, but that was that was tough. With Vince McMahon in the room with the arms folded and looking at you, and you're like, I can't be the guy.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, Well my god, Well, thank you so much for sharing your stories about the nineteen eighty eight Survivor series, your first Survivor series.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm thankful this year.
Speaker 2: If you're watching this on Thanksgiving or in the future in ten years, you know, I'm thankful for Sean Mooney sharing his amazing knowledge here today about the nineteen eighty eight Curvibus series. And again, if someone loves this event, I hope you enjoyed our show. If you hate this event, I hope you enjoyed our show as well. But remember Kokobe Whar's ass blurred out with that in your imagination. Whose hands were on Rick Rude's ass will never know? But thanks for being here on the Golden in a podcast for Shaw Mooney. I'm see fall he Shaw Mooney, have a wonderful day and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Baba.
Speaker 1: It's the Golden Age. I'll tell me tell you Uie rocha then, and I's the fantasy step in the ring
Speaker 3: Till history talk to the Golden tell me to Juie