Speaker 1: We've got a Juanita. We got a Jannita file, and let's get right to the Juanita file. She is sent in another contribution. Now a little background on the Minnesota Goodbye Onannita would send in ranty emails and they were very funny. So I said, we'll make a video, and so she sent a video. And she's kind of like a stand up comic. So let's see. And another think she lives here. I don't know where she lives. I think, did she does she live here?
Speaker 2: I do that answer? I thought she did, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: I think she does. Now they think about it. Here's Jannita. Let's see what she's got. We have not previewed this.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all, Hey wanted to hear with my video for the week. So I don't know if either of you have a friend or an associate that whenever they tag along with you or go you all go anywhere. If you buy something, they want to eat off of you or drink all of you instead of going to buy their own shit. Well, just this past month, E forty and ice Cube were performing at greg Casino Hinkley, and so me and my best friend went. So we get to the concert a little early, and while we were waiting, I said, you know, I'm gonna go grab me a beer. Are you gonna go get you something? She goes, no, I'm good. Okay, so I go get me a beer. Fourteen dollars for a can of fucking beer sometime anyway, come back with the beer. Sit down, let me get a sip. Bitch. I just asked you if you wanted anything, and you said you were good. So that sip turned into she drank half of my beer. Boy eat forty performs. He's done. We're waiting for ice Cube to get this stuff set up on stage. So I noticed that there was a Guyro food truck in the parking lot. Yes, I know it's not pronounced Guyrol, but I'm black, so I asked her. I said, so you're gonna go get you something to eat? No, remember I ate before we before we came. Okay, go get my Guyrol. Come back, sit down. Before I could even pull the damn foil back, let me get a taste. But you know, damn well what a guy wrote taste like, take your cheap ass over there and go buy you something to eat or get you something to drink, like I said, she's my best friend. I love her dealer, but sometimes I could choke her till fucking eyeballs pop out. Whenever we go somewhere, she wants to eat or drink whatever it is that I have, but she won't go buy your own stuff. Well that's my rant for the week.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, bye, love you back. Wanted to thank you. I love that one. Susan is that way?
Speaker 2: I am also that person, are you yes?
Speaker 1: So I will buy something, I'll be like, oh, you know, I want to go to the Twins game. I'm gonna get I'm gonna get a hot dog. You want anything? Oh no, I'm good. No, can I have a bite of that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I don't like people biting from my food, So tear off a little piece or you do the same thing.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not necessarily like if I was at a concert or a Twins game or something and someone bought something, I wouldn't ask to eat it.
Speaker 2: I would buy my own.
Speaker 5: But if you walk into this room and you have something that smells delicious, will look at it until you offer me a bite.
Speaker 2: So I am I'm a slight.
Speaker 1: It's just like a dog, like watching it go from hand to mouth kind?
Speaker 2: Is that bacon? What kind of a is a maple kind?
Speaker 1: Actually get that joke? Do you get that joke? Jenny? Oh, a bacon?
Speaker 2: I've got bacon?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the maple kind.
Speaker 1: It's a dog that they synked up his licking his mouth and opening his mouth so it looks like he's talking and he's like this big, brown eyed, wide eyed, cute dog and he's talking to the camera going, you.
Speaker 2: Know you got what do you got there?
Speaker 5: No, it's just like a cute little video that was like viral, like literally fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 5: The map.
Speaker 1: Staff Rider Laurel. Here it says, I debated writing in because I don't want to sound like a Karen, but it comes up enough that I need to address it. I've noticed it instead of referring to women, some of you, Vont and Jenny say females. Sometimes it'll even go as far as females and men. Female means applies to the female sex of any species, but woman applies to a female human. I've noticed men use the word females often. It sounds so dehumanizing. Every time I hear it on a show or podcast, I cringe. I understand this is used not to ostracize non binary people, but when referring to women or female presenting people, maybe just use women. Just some food for thought. Okay, Jenny, I've never heard you use females.
Speaker 4: I was going to say never, not even once, don't know the last time. But I also might be unaware that I've used that before. I really don't feel like I use that word, but if I do, I will work on not using it.
Speaker 1: Though I say broads. I say broads a lot because I think broads is kind of you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, it's a fun, friendly term and it rolls off the tongue in sort of a blurty, broad sort of a way you.
Speaker 2: Put a little cigarette in. You're in the corner of your mouth when.
Speaker 5: You say it, like these broads of giving me headaches.
Speaker 1: These broads are everywhere now. Vont says females and we've given him a hard time about it, and you know, vont is such a lovable dope dope, Yes, and I think that he doesn't mean anything disrespectful. Yeah, I think it's just vont I.
Speaker 5: Think a lot of the stuff that Vonta said because I call him out on that all the time. If we're just sitting together and he says females, I call him out on it. But yeah, a lot of the stuff that he says that I find offensive or whatever, I call him out on it and then he's like, oh, I didn't realize that was a thing. So the more I call him out on it, the less he's going to do it. So hopefully I am creating a positive change in one.
Speaker 1: Let us know if there's anything else that we do. And I'm not trying to be like, oh well, if we're do anything wrong, let us know, But let us know if there's anything else maybe each of us have like a little pet thing. I know, I say like a lot, Yeah, I go a lot.
Speaker 5: I say sure a lot, which I know that I say, sure a lot. Listen, listen, but that's a bit. That's a funny bit.
Speaker 1: But it is a funny bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but sure is just like the thing that I say to acknowledge that I'm listening to you.
Speaker 4: I say, all right, I'll say I'm just being honest or honestly or something with honest in it a lot too.
Speaker 1: So let us know if there's anything that sticks out. I'd be curious to know.
Speaker 2: But thank you for the email. I am trying to work on it with font Dave.
Speaker 1: Your doppelganger is Tom Kenny, the voice of SpongeBob. Look him up.
Speaker 4: That is TikTok video of him the other day, like last night. I don't, I don't know if I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I don't. I mean a little bit. Yeah, I can see that he's got less hair than I do, and he's skinnier bonier than I am.
Speaker 2: I can see it.
Speaker 5: I can see it, Tom, I think, Dave, I think you're a better looking guy than Tom Kenny. Tom Kenny looks like SpongeBob SquarePants.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you have glasses something that you wear.
Speaker 1: To put my contacts in today? And if you wear contacts, you know, I'm so used to him. I've worn them since I was like nineteen or so. Wow, you put them in, they feel good, no problem. Today I touched the contact to my eyeball and it hurt, so I took it out, cleaned it off, put it back in, and it hurt again, so I took it out. Wearing glasses today, I don't know what's wrong. Probably nothing.
Speaker 2: Well was a good story, though, Pink Eye.
Speaker 1: Good story though. Yeah, it's pink. I another ps from the same writer. I don't know if you've mentioned the date of Boo Bash yet, but I'd love to go again this year and drunkenly cry over meeting Dave. I would love that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes me feel good, it makes me feel important, it makes me feel significant.
Speaker 2: Can she drunkenly cry over me too? I would like that.
Speaker 1: I'll ask her, Laurel, you mean, can you come and drunkenly cry over Bailey? What is? Because you know you get privileged information. The tentative date target date for Boo Bash is Halloween night, It's a Thursday night, and the tentative location is still the barn at Cowboy Jacks, which is awesome. We want to have Gara Spivey there. We're gonna have the Tammy, the tarot card reader, and we're gonna have the costume contest for much, much, much money, and we're working on an act now. Last year we had Paul Russell, She'm a Little boo thing you a Little and that was huge because it was It's Paul Russell. He had like the number one song and we just happened to luck out that we had him this year, we'll have somebody amazing, but I don't know who. So Laurel, we'll see you there. Ah okay, next one is I won't say your name yet. Let's see. I had to share this with somebody who's so connected to my day. Sorry, you guys are my guinea pig. I went to cub at three point fifty five in the afternoon. Upon leaving, I noticed an elderly gentleman with a cane doing the Harvey Korman shuffle. Now you don't know what that is, but it's an old reference to a character shuffling along very slowly with a cane. He exited his vehicle located in the handicapped area. Distance of vehicle to the store about three hundred feet. He moves slower than large harsh shell snapper turtle. I love that. When he hit the cub store walkway, vehicles breezed by him like nothing to be concerned about. He kept his hand down, clutching his cane, focus on every single step he took. So he's moving forward about a third of his way into the intersection. I made the inner the decision to intervene. I stepped halfway into the intersection to ensure that he would make it to the cub entrance. We experienced a handful of drivers who were kind and patient enough to pause for the forty five plus seconds needed to cross over the threshold, and one who was not so patient. Once he got to the curve, he said, I'm so incredibly thankful for all the kind people in this world. Thank you. I had my left hand on his arm and cane my right hand position on his lower back as I gently lifted pushed him over the curb and said, it's a wonderful thing when we have help. Have a good night. Within six seconds, the disgruntled female driver circled around to greet me, screaming yes, screaming you fucking bitch Jesus, and she turned her head away. I apologize for the profan. I'm a fan, and I understand if you prefer initial facts over fiction. I'm not interested in being on the air. I am aware you do not discuss politics. However, I am certain this topic will generate interest and hopefully community. I don't see how it has anything to do with politics at all, just decency. It gave me pause. What in the world happened to you today that you would become so irritated with an individual helping another who is disabled. If it was truly me, she would have maintained eye contact In thought, Is all this anger and bitterness worth it? Are we not here to help others? Some of us are, and some of us are not. Some of us selfishly go through our day doing what is best for us. And it's kind of like I've become a lot more patient with trucks. I used to get behind a dump truck or a semi and be like, god, son of a bitch, fucking truck, God, damn it. Yeah, But now I realize we all benefit from trucks. They deliver things cub to target, to them all. They deliver patio furniture to my home, they deliver new couches to my house. So I've just become a lot more patient with trucks to hey, I fucking truck it out of my fucking way.
Speaker 5: My dad used to have really bad road rage, and he said the way he got over it is that he just imagined that whoever was like driving kind of like an idiot in front of him, that it was his daughter in that car. Oh, she really that she was probably lost or she didn't know where she was or she was thinking about her job interview that she was going to. So he's just like, well, my daughter's in that car, so I guess I just will be patient with it.
Speaker 1: That's a really good way to look at it, you know. I think that I think of listeners, and I think a lot of radio people are really guilty of thinking of listeners as listeners. They're not listeners, that's not what they do. They are people are who happened to listen to this show. And I think a lot of radio people think of listeners as something to be manipulated and not people. And I've worked with some people who who they don't think of listeners as anything more. I've heard them called crumb grubbers, clampers, prize pigs, and it's like, no, I think of listeners as people who are really no different than my sister Donna, or no different than my cousin Janey, And they're just people who like this radio show and they're like friends to me never And I don't like calling people listeners. They're people who listen to the show. They are mothers, they are doctors, they are hotel maids, they are baristas that happen to listen to the show, and to me, that really puts a different light on the people who listen to the show. And that's why I appreciate you so much. So if you do come up to me crying at Boo Bash and you're drunk, you know I will absolutely.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you drunk.
Speaker 1: Let's see we get time for one more. I have to write in after listening to the show about construction workers, what do we say about construction workers?
Speaker 4: So it was someone who had a question about why do cohenes get put out like way ahead of time and then like the actual work doesn't happen for like weeks. And then I think the general like why is one person working and everyone else is standing around?
Speaker 2: Kind of thing?
Speaker 1: And it's kind of true. So they say, my husband's in road construction for twenty years. The last six years he's been in the forty niner union. That's a heavy equipment operator. I tell you why so many of them are standing around because they're fucking lazy and they have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. Wow, Wow, didn't see that cold. It's because they're fucking lazy and have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. There just aren't enough new, young, hard working people willing to take on the workload. The older guys are getting older and more burnout. Trying to get the youngsters to learn the trade and take over the turnover on road construction workers is crazy. People have no idea how hard it is on your body and for some their families as well. Do the long hours. All five day work weeks minimum of sixty plus hours, with most of my husband's being over seventy five hours, and the really terrible weeks are over ninety hours.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Just think about that for a second. Ninety hours in his week, yes, six days plus. We live an hour north of the city's he got a two hour drive each day. Takes a special spouse to deal with everything one dred percent for seven months out of the year, especially with kids involved. Two when the other spouse is in construction. All right. Year old will often asked, well, I see Dad tonight? No, probably not. He's out of the door by four am and home after nine years, he says, since hitting forty his body has said it's burning out. Sure, he gets five months off each winter, but still it is tough. Just because he's an equipment operator doesn't mean he's running equipment all the time. Half the time, he's still a laborer out in the ninety plus degree heat because their days when those are the days when the lazy ones really don't even show up for work. The money is good, the benefits are even better. The retirement package is the reason to stick it out as many years as your body will allow. But there are many negatives involved too. Anyway, there's my two cents from the wife of a construction worker. Didn't expect that. I really thought she was going to say they're all working, they're all doing their thing, but she says so many of them are lazy. Wow. Now I would love to hear a counter to that. Yeah, yeah, maybe you would say, like, oh, that's not true at all. Keep up the great work on the show. Love you all. No dart looking here, because who's got time for that when they're working ninety hours a week. Yeah, that's from Vanessa.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it depends on like the team that you're assigned, because I can imagine that, like, because there's construction happening everywhere on all different parts of the road, just in Saint Louis Park where we are, and I wonder if you like wake up knowing exactly where you're going to be, or if you get like assigned throughout the day and you don't know who, like your coworkers are going to be until you get there, because then if you have like five lazy coworkers and one that actually does the work, then yeah, it's going to be like a bunch of kids sitting on their phones.
Speaker 1: I've wondered how they I would drive by a construction site, like if you go buy thirty five or not thirty five? Yeah, that's one too. But who's in charge of where the dirt goes and where the concrete goes? That's always puzzled me. It's like, there's got to be somebody and he or she is going, Okay, we need a slab over here. I'm looking at the blueprints and here's a guy with a shovel digging a hole. How does each piece fit in? And is there a master plan? There's got to be somewhere yeah, where it's like, oh, you got to back ho over here, you're digging a big hole. Who's got the master plan of how that particular task fits in?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: What I mean. Yeah, it's fascinating to me.
Speaker 5: What I think is interesting about like road construction people is that you see them every single day, and yet I couldn't name one person who works in road construction, but there's so many people. Yeah, but it seems like they're this strange, magical career that no one actually knows, but they see them right in front of them all the time.
Speaker 4: Just so that there's like turnover and stuff. Sure, we probably don't know people because I've probably tried it and yeah, like never mind, I'm not doing it all.
Speaker 1: Right, Shane writes in and Shane says, kind of a bummer of a question, But I thought you guys might have some advice if you've gone through similar situations. My best friend of twenty five years was diagnosed with brain cancer, starting chemo radiation treatment next week. I haven't had anyone super close to be go through something like this. We're in our mid thirties and he's had a couple of young kids and a wife, so it's a little scary for sure. We have a relationship where we can get deep and personal occasionally, but overall, our conversations and relationship is more of a fun tone For example, he's a huge wild fan. I'm a Red Wings fan, so I randomly sent his son a red Wing toy and closed just to pick at him. My question is what different ways can I support him and his fam Any idea is welcome. Should I strike the more you're a badass tone or the super soft and sympathetic tone, or just ask for occasional updates without inundating him since he's probably updating everybody in his life while acting normal ninety five percent of the time. Hopefully that question makes sense. Help me brainstorm dartin and lickan that is Shane. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have like one piece of advice, like, instead of asking for an update, if you like look up specific questions that you can ask somebody, ask him something specific that has like a specific answer, because like saying, hey, what's an update, then it's putting like all the pressure on him to like give you the low down when he is probably updating everybody and everyone in his life. But if you say, like, how is this particular treatment making you feel, that's a more specific question that he can be like, well my stomach hurts, or well I'm tired all the time or whatever, and give you more of a specific answer than just saying give me an update.
Speaker 1: You know that sounds good, I would say, by being there and not shine away because you don't know how to act or what to say. Yeah, I think a lot of people when they're you know, their spouse dies or their mother dies, you don't know what to say, so you avoid them. I was at a funeral a few years ago, and to the grieving family, I saw them after the funeral kind of gathered in the lobby of the church, and I avoided them because I did not know what to say. I didn't know, like, you know, go over and say something, because I didn't know what to say. What can you say? So I think that, you know, maybe that was you know, what everybody would do. But I think that I'm going to a funeral today and this is somebody who lost their nineteen year old son and he was just starting college and he was in a car accident and he died. And I absolutely will go up and say, you know something, I'm so sorry for your loss, or you know, I'm here for you and give them a hug because nothing is going to help. But doing nothing and avoiding is probably the worst thing you can do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And one other thing that I'll say about it too is that if you still treat him like your friend and not just your friend who has cancer, I think that goes a long way. I mean, I don't have any friends who have an illness like that, but like any of my friends who have been pregnant, they said that they were very thankful that I treated them like people and not just a baby maker. And I think the same could potentially be applied, Like if you still treat him like he's your friend, he's a person, he still has thoughts and feelings beyond his cancer, so he's not just your friend who has cancer.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, all right, and that's going to do it for today's Minnesota Goodbye. Send in an email, let us know what kind of quirks that we all have that annoy you, or something that you notice or not, or start a whole new topic. It's always fun to do the Minnesota Goodbye because I love opening up the emails every day and seeing what people are writing about, whether it is a review or a rehash of something we talked about before, or something totally new out of the blue. And that is the beauty of the Minnesota Goodbye, we talk about air and thing. Thanks to A. Anita for her contribution today. We'll look for you again next week. Send your emails to Ryan's show at kdbub dot com. Thank you for listening.