Speaker 1: Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Thank you for rolling with us. If you want to stay in touch with us, you want to know everything We've got cooking. Yes, we're on social media. We also put out a newsletter. We don't spam you, spam your index, We don't spam your inbox to death, but we will send you occasional emails.
Speaker 2: Just go to Ben and Skin dot com to sign up for that. We'll stay in touch with you.
Speaker 1: This segment right here is brought to you by Andrews American Pizza Kitchen, one of the greatest pizza joints in all of DFW. In fact, readers of the Dallas Morning News say Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen is the best pizzeria in DFW. They've mastered five different types of pizza Dallas style, Chicago Style, Detroit Style, Tavern style, and New York style pizza. And there's only one location of Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen in DFW. It's in Plano off Preston and Plano Parkway, and it is can't miss awesomeness. So if you're looking for something special next time you order a pie, go to Andrews American Pizza Kitchen in Plano.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: And now it's time for bas and Sweet Day Up Day, featuring veteran news anchor kt F on tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world. I'd generally like to come in here and discuss something fun that'll make us laugh a lot, but I don't know that I have that for you today. Guys. We had a big accident last night. American Airlines flight from witch Talk, Kansas was carrying sixty four people collided midair with a military helicopter. That military helicopter was on a proficiency training flight last night, but the people in the helicopter were according to Pete Hegsith, who's doing his job now we get confirmed is they were experienced. So the flight from wash Wichital, Kansas headed to Ronald Reagan Airport in Washington, d C. It's about nine pm last night, a little before that Central time, and the US Army helicopter was carrying a crew of three. They collide, big fireball, the remnant of each craft fall into the forty two degree Potomac River and they had fireboats out there looking for bodies really quick. But as of this morning, they think no one has survived this collision. I think they've pulled out over thirty bodies from the river.
Speaker 2: I had heard that the plane was broken up into three different sections and crashed upside down. Yeah. Or when they got to where the bodies were were.
Speaker 3: They were finding people still in their seat belt. I'm going to play you one clip of audio. It's very very sad. Okay, but then we'll, you know, let's just talk about this. This is I got this from my guy Loutner. I follow him on the news. I don't know if you'll follow a former SNL writer, Steve Lugner. I followed j Moore for all my name, agenda free news coming from Steve Luckner. And you know, he kind of takes a lot of these stories, and you know, he grabs him from different sources, checks him out this and this is a guy.
Speaker 2: Who was at the airport to pick up his wife. Oh okay, yep, here we go. I'm just praying that somebody's pulling her out of the river right now. That's all I him very far.
Speaker 3: I'm just spraying the gun.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you spoke with her?
Speaker 2: She texted me we were landing, that they're landing in twenty minutes. Can he shows the text message to that point, which, by the way, feels a little invasive. Yeah, she feels invasive. And then it's still a developing situation. I don't know how you ask somebody that while they're waiting.
Speaker 3: This guy's got no emotion and it feels like nothing's going on in his head.
Speaker 2: So if someone came to talk to him, he's just going to talk to him. What it looked like to me, Yeah, he's in he's I'm sure he's shocked. Yeah, yeah, and he probably deep down inside knows that she's gone, but he's holding on to hope.
Speaker 1: I couldn't do that though.
Speaker 2: I couldn't ask it there and ask those questions. But I mean, you know, I get talking to someone I don't get let me see your phone message. He shows the text.
Speaker 3: This is what I say. He's a look yet his phone, and then they zoom in. You can kind of read it. My eyes aren't good enough. In twenty minutes, the rest of my text didn't did not get delivered.
Speaker 2: That's when I realized something might be up. Horrible.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I know that's devastating. Well, I was Thursday. We're all trying to have a good time. The week's nearly over. We had music trivia to night at Rollertown. I understand that, but I saw it last night and I was like, oh my god, well, it's real shocking because for a lot of reasons. Usually, I mean, this is the worst fatality related air crash we've had in twenty four.
Speaker 2: Years since nine.
Speaker 3: They think because there was a there was a commercial flight that hit a house in Buffalo and that was an nine.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many fatalities fifty? Oh wow, okay, yeah, the but what it? Last night? I went to dinner with the wife and then we got back and I was watching the mav game. So I'm watching it, you know, tape delayed or whatever, and my wife starts talking about an air crash in Washington, d C. And MY first thought was that she saw you. Are you guys aware of the crash that happened in nineteen eighty two? Were it happened during the day and it went into the Potomac?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I have such vivid, vivid memories of this for two particular reasons. One, it's one of the most intense images you will ever see and you could probably go online and find it now. But the crash happened during the day, and it was the Potomac River had chunks of ice in it, right, and so the plane went in and there's helicopters on the scene. And so this is back before cable news. Okay, so you're watching this on you know, you have four channels where you live if you don't have cable, and so I'm watching this and they're showing I'm sure this was live footage during network news, but there were helicopters that had guys hanging from ropes that were going going down and trying to get survivors. Do you remember this now? And so a survivor had grabbed onto a rope and you're watching it. It's insane, and the helicopter lifts them out and then they let go and you're watching it on live teams and dude, I got drink water. It's so intense. This person, a bystander that was standing on the bridge that goes over the Potomac River jumps in to get them. It was like, I mean, I'll never forget it. It's one of you know, we always talk about first responders and heroes and all the stuff. This bystander jumped into a frozen river. It was amazing. Man, did he make it out? Do you know? Yeah? I think if I remember correctly, another helicopter came in, and yeah, you love.
Speaker 1: To see humanity in situations like that, where people are risking their lives to save a stranger.
Speaker 2: That's what gives you hope for all of us. I mean, I'll never forget that. And when my wife said, there, you know it was talking about it. I thought she saw footage of that and was talking about that, And so we belled out of the mav game and immediately flipped over to the news. And I just couldn't believe what I was seeing because I don't recall, you know, you said two thousand and nine. I don't recall the last time there was a crash in America that took this many lives.
Speaker 1: I was watching a lot of the stuff online last night, and I saw a guy who was I guess landed at the same airport like a week ago, and he was filming military helicopters outside of the window. He's like, wow, they seem really close to the plane. And he was filming it and he thought it was odd, and then he reposted it after this happened. Wow, I just I don't know why that has to happen. Why and at night?
Speaker 2: Why do you have to pray?
Speaker 1: And it looked like there's no lights or very little lights on the helicopter at all. And you know, it looks like the the angles we have of the collision, the plane is coming towards us, and so it looks as if it's not moving and a helicopter just flies right into it. Obviously it's just coming towards it us to land. But I don't know why it's necessary to have the practice with military helicopters so close to an airport.
Speaker 2: I think that's a Washington, d C thing. It is, Uh, I saw that because there's so much helicopter traffic in d C, because of the important people that are constantly. It reminds me of that that Star Wars movie where they you know, there's just all that, but they're practicing. Yeah, so they're practicing next to an airport, which.
Speaker 3: It was according to Pete Hexeth, who is what.
Speaker 2: He's three days into the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all these people people knew. He said that they were experienced. It was a proficiency. They do this, I can annually, just like we'd take our HR training, you know, which hasn't helped us any as we still.
Speaker 2: HR on the rag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as Christina can attest. Defense Secretary Pete Hesitt said, I'm sorry, sorry. Sean Duffy's the other guy, the Secretary of Transportation, and he said, this is not unusual with military aircraft flying the river and an aircraft landing now here. Is what an FAA report said late last night early this morning.
Speaker 2: Not the local TV channel, the Federal Association WA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ff the FAA, not the Future Farmers of America either. It would be weird if we had some goat girl out there, just like I got a pig and here's what happened.
Speaker 2: No, it's uh.
Speaker 3: The FAA said that for whatever reason at the time, which was a high traffic time, which was you know, eight p fifty here, nine to fifty there, whatever reason, they in their report there was one air traffic controller who is both working with that helicopter and the plane that was coming in.
Speaker 2: Normally that would have been a job for two oh so cutbacks, I mean.
Speaker 3: Air traffic controllers have been ditching that job because a they've been aging out of it.
Speaker 2: How many new kids like you know, hey, what do you do when you grow up? I want to be in air traffic controler. That didn't happen very often. Do you want a high pressure job that doesn't pay enough? Right, it's so stressful.
Speaker 1: And being up with my brother being a pilot and when he was flying planes and seeing how all that works is fascinating, Like you don't have to, but you can stay in communication with a tower like at all times and when when you are flying. I'm assuming in American Airlines or anybody flying just their own plane would be in contact with a tower at all times. I don't know about a military thing, like as a military are they talking to that guy and their own people and.
Speaker 2: They have to be so ye so. And that's the scariness too, of Like I mean, there was all that intensity and discussion around those drones in Jersey. But the main reason it's story, aside from the mystery of it all, is just you think about the as more things are going to the air, there's you know, the reason there's way more car craft than airplane crashes is because there's way more cars. It's just basic math. That's why this say, Hey, it's safer in the air than it is on the streets. That's going to change over time. I mean, I was thinking about this. I was watching this Kobe documentary and I'm just sitting there watching it, going it is so insane that that man died in a helicopter crash going to a basketball practice. Yeah, that is wild. Yeah, And there's gonna be more people traveling by helicopter. There's gonna be more drones. There's gonna be I mean, just think about the changes in what you see on the streets with cars. There's gonna be changes in drones that way, and transportation drones that aren't quite helicopters, and all of this is changing, and it's changing rapidly.
Speaker 3: And there's and budgets are tightening too though everywhere, and it's like that can't help. Like if they're working demanding jobs Lazyer traffic controls working six days a week, ten hour days, which is a job too where you need to be alert at all times too. Then you have to pay them more. You have to pay these people. This current airport is a report in twenty twenty three was a third short on staff Wow.
Speaker 2: This is the other reason why. You know, these things go through changes and it depends on who's inn office and what their priorities are. But I'm not a big deregulation guy because I don't think we should take more people away from those jobs. I understand you don't want to hinder business. I love business. Business should thrive. Those things should try to work hand in hand. But we've kind of created this world where it's very difficult if you don't are complete, you know, you have different opposing views on stuff to try to work together. Like I feel like there's a way we can work together, and unfortunately it'll probably take things like crashes to get everybody to come together and go, okay, this is probably how we should handle this. All Right, There you have it.
Speaker 1: There's the weekly weekday update coming up next in the big finish. As we get ready to end the show and head out to Rollertown tonight for magical music what's it called Atomic Bomb Music? Give me the Atomic Music Bomb Trip Trivia Music Bomb YEP of Atomic Can Be Huge is happening tonight at Rollertown. But before we get there, I do this segment on our YouTube channel called the Scroll patrol and coming up next, we're going to do it in the big finish right here on ninety seven point one, the Eagle