Speaker 1: Hey, this is Alisander Giuliani, doctor Emil Hamilton on Smallville and you are listening to Always hold on to Smallville. Enjoy. Welcome to Always hold On to Smallville. In this podcast, we talk about each and every episode of Young Superman Show. They were from two thousand and one to twenty eleven on the WB and the CW. I'm her host Sach Moore, and I'm joined by the hosts of the All Star super Fan podcast, Rob O'Connor, Hello, glad to be back, and Alan.
Speaker 2: Burke, glad to be back. Too great to see is ech.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've had you both on at the same time before.
Speaker 3: We did an episode of Always Held On to the Flash together. I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Was the Flash? It was the Flash, yes, But as far as Smallville goes, I think just for various scheduled reasons and whatnot, I had you both at the same time in the same place.
Speaker 3: So actually I'm supposed to be on the last episode I was on, and there was a last minute work thing or something, wasn't.
Speaker 1: There, Ellen, there was, that's right, Silver Ranchi episode. Yes, that was it. That was good, that was it, and yeah it was figured out. She wasn't even Irish though, Alan, so.
Speaker 2: She wasn't even Irish. That was a great episode. I enjoyed listen to it. Yeah, I got caught up work, I was, I was heartbroken. But yeah, no, that that was a great episod.
Speaker 1: I want to have you both on here in the final season of Smallville. Listen. I do a lot of podcasting. I listened to a lot of podcasts, and one of my favorite other Superman podcasts is y'all's podcasts, So I always enjoy whenever it drops in my feed. I'm like looking forward to these guys have to say. Also, your podcast is very long, much like mine, so it makes it feel good that other people talk for two and a half hours about.
Speaker 3: This nonsense, sometimes longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for me. I mean for me. I'm talking about a forty five in episode for two hours, which is ridiculous, And you guys are at least talking about a lot of things over two and a half hours. So there you have it. But we're here in Smallville season ten. Rob let's start with you. Just do you ever think about Smallville season ten? But he doesn't even when you think of small Ovil season ten, what do you think of what are your thoughts of it?
Speaker 3: When I think of Smallville Season ten, I think of the ending, obviously, the final episode of the much discussed final episode, one of the most disclosed episodes of the of the whole series, I would wager, and one of the most screen grabbed episodes of the of the whole series, because it has the shirt ripping. I also think of the thriller jacket and how much I hate it. Yes, and I usually and I think it's something that's gonna come up tonight. I think of season ten as basically just a Superman show at that point, and that that would be probably my biggest issue with it. I was, by the way, fully back watching every single episode of the show as they were airing by this point, so I've seen this one at the time and probably not since, but I was I was fully back engaged in Smallville, having really enjoyed season nine, so this one was familiar to me when I watched it today. But those are usually for me. Actually, to answer your question, when I think of Smallville in general, I think it's like seasons one, two, three, and then season nine and ten. It's that chunk in the middle where I kind of just haven't really engaged it at all.
Speaker 1: Those middle five seasons, that middle half of the show. Yes, yeah, oh no, I hear you there. I mean obviously I was there the whole time, but other shows I've watched, I too have jumped on at the end, like, oh well, I got to see how this all turns out. So I'm going to tune into the last season, So sometimes the last episode, but sometimes the last season time allowing So I feel that. But alan about you Smavel season ten. Were you watching at the time or do you have any thoughts on when you hear the words Smovel season ten? Does that even conjure up a memory for you?
Speaker 2: It does? Similar to Rob, I had come back to watching it at that point. I had kind of phased out of it around season six, seven eight, Like Rob, that's kind of a blank to me. A lot of those episodespecial when we go back and watch them now. But I knowing that it was the final season and we're going to finally get a conclusion, I ventured back to small though, and for the most part, I really enjoyed it. Again. Like Rob said, the finale is the thing that sticks out in my mind, and how disappointed. I was with that for various reasons that I'm sure loads of people have spoken about it knowsium already.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I haven't revisited as I. As I said last night, I actually had to remove the plastic covering on my Season ten DVD, which I purchased at the time in twenty eleven, twenty twelve, whenever that came out, because I bought the single seasons as they as they came out, even the ones I hadn't been keeping up with. When I saw them in a Golden discs or whatever, I'd go in and pick them up so i'd have n't a hand. And yeah, it's really just the finale. Like Rob said again, by that stage, it's the Superman show. I had forgotten really how much of a Superman show it had become at that time. I loved the Turler jacket. I have to say, probably the unpopular opinion, but in this episode I was struck by the end how good Clark looked in in the Turler jacket and how Superman like he looked. But yeah, no, I have to say, yeah, I was. I enjoyed the experience of watching the episode. I watched it twice, watched on DVD last night, I watched an Amazon Prime earlier on today, and yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I should stress, by the way, the reason I hate the trailer jacket is less to do with the local the jacket, which it does kind of look cool like it's and it's a fun thing you can wear conventions and stuff. I don't have a huge issue with that. It's more just.
Speaker 4: The idea of it.
Speaker 3: Like, once he puts on that jacket, he is basically Superman. So what's the point of the show.
Speaker 1: Then? Yeah, you know, no, I I have seen many a jacket like that at a convention. It's it's a great item. People love it. I I don't think i'd ever get with myself, but I understand the appeal. And you know, I have a I've said on calling it the monogram jacket because lowest cause of that in an episode, and I'm like, there you go. If anyone says anything on screen, I can latch onto. I'm like, that's what we called it. I was calling the biker jacket before I'm going with monogram jacket. We you know, just to get ahead of everything. It does appear in this episode, we do have a plus one for it. So, but one of my curiosities of tracking this is we're you know, we're eleven episodes in eleven, We're halfway through the season. This is this is the mid season of this exciting, this is the midseason value. Someone argued the previous episode there should have been the mid season finale, much stronger episode, much stronger ending. But but eleven episodes in y'all, we've introduced a new costume for Clark for him to wear right for season ten. How many episodes do you think he wears this, including this one.
Speaker 3: I knew you were gonna say yes, Oh I yeah, I'd say it. And there's a reason I'm asking this, I'd say it's not that many times. Yeah, Like I there was even scenes in this episode where I was like, why is he not wearing his uniform? You know, like, and I remember thinking that at the time, And I remember thinking about the trench coat in season nine as well, that there was a lot of times where it was like, he should be in his superhero suit right now and he isn't. So I would wager he wears it six times.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: Twelve okay, well, well hold on, are we guessing the whole season?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Are we guessing just the first half?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sorry, the whole season? I was guessing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, yeah, yeah no this half half?
Speaker 3: We half this half, i'd say four.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, i'd say six.
Speaker 1: Well five, so you're if you add your score as a team, you win. You're correct. We're we're five. And half of those has just been him standing around. Yeah, because like the episode he premieres ind it in he walks out on top of the Deli Planet, stands in from the American flag. It's a great image, right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then we see it next he's at his father's grave talking to him. I would question why he would visit Jonathan Kent's grave in his superhero costume, but that's, you know, neither here nor there. He does wear it for a little bit of superhero activity a couple of times, and then he wears it here again, just like at a funeral. So it's like, dude, like, what do you if no one can see you anyway, why does it matter? I think it's kind of Rob's point as well, So no, I yeah, with the record, I'm more aligned with Robin, like I don't like kind of the concept of what it is more so than like visually it's cool, it's cool jacket out and absolutely so.
Speaker 2: So I just never I just I don't think I ever really connected with the black long jacket because it always just felt me even at the time that it was very kind of matrix y and Bled doesn't love the matrix. But it's not Superman.
Speaker 3: But he's not Superman. That's the whole point, Like he's on a journey to become Superman, and the whole point of this season as well is he has to overcome the darkness, and that's the darkness within him as well. And by putting on his jacket at the start of the season, it's like, well then that makes the whole character arc of the season irrelevant anyway. So it's like it would have made.
Speaker 2: One of those I'm sure we're all in one of those black men the jacket paces like when we're teenagers. I find out, I know what I did.
Speaker 3: I Actually, the more I think about it, the more I wish he had worn the black trench cout all the way up until the end of season ten, where right fully banishes that look and then becomes Superman. Because it's such a contrast, whereas this kind of half measure it just never never made sense to me.
Speaker 1: You don't need multiple transitional costumes, as my what I'm thinking. And also if you look at the season t in opening credits that black jackets all over it trench call here there, you would never know that he did have a different costumes. Anyway, I just since you Broth brought it up, I wanted to address it. Now. We don't talk about any further real quick before a jump into within. Just as Society characters, they're all over this episode. We get some hawk Man, we get some star Girl, we get some wet green Arrows. The main character now, so it's not a special to have him around, But thoughts on these characters, I mean, it was exciting. This is the first I mean, look, if we don't count the Legend of the Superheroes with Adam Westburt Ward and Frank Or Yes, we know there was a guy dressed up like Hawkman in that. Okay, yes I know that. Moving on from that, this is your first live action representation of these characters. So that's exciting, and I don't know, I kind of go back and forth with how like well, they were done here, at least visually, Like, what do you guys thoughts on these characters.
Speaker 2: I liked them. I always kind of felt that they seemed a little bit kind of cheap, which is fine. Look, it's it's of its time and it's of its era, and you know, they have whatever budget they had and stuff. I always but I always kind of felt that even at the time. I remember seeing the trailer for the Doctor Fate episode I think was or the Justice Slide episode, have been super excited for that and liking that, and then going back last night and again today, I was surprised to see the different I forgot that there was a Stargirl in us who was not the subsequent Stargirl and who doesn't like, Yeah, what is Michael Michael Shanks?
Speaker 1: Is this the guy from Stargate Q, Starget se Sequest.
Speaker 2: Yes, that just dates me right there.
Speaker 1: The captain from Sequest twenty thirty is Lois's dad, Micha Ironside.
Speaker 2: So yes, and but yeah, I enjoyed him. I enjoyed Michael Shanks in this episode. I enjoyed the conclusion, which we'll talk about in a bit. And I'm a big fan of this Oliver Queen. I think Justin Hartley does a great job as Oliver Queen. I like him throughout the entire series. I think I prefer him to Stephen Amill to be honest myself, but then I didn't really I didn't really stick with that show, I have to be honest. I really enjoyed him and Small that I liked him when he turned up, So yeah, it comes up from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have much said to that. I think they really do highlight how different the show it is now, because you would never dream of seeing so many like explicitly comic booky characters in the earlier seasons of Small, butl you just it just wouldn't even work with the aesthetic of the show at that point, so it's it's just so so different. I think Hawkman is pretty great. I mean, it's hard to get that helmet right, and I don't know if it's possible to ever get it quite right without it looking silly. But I think they do a really really good job, and the the wing effects is pretty impressive for a TV show. If you had told me that Stargirl was in more than one episode of this, I would have told you I would have said you were a liar im being like a character so so prominent, the character that she goes to Clark and Lows's engagement party, and I was like, how's this other character here? Like you know, but yeah, no, I think they did a good job. But again, it just comes back to the problem of like when when Clark is in the scenes with the other Justice Society and Justice League characters, he's basically just Superman, Like there's no he doesn't feel like the upstart who still has to go on a journey anymore. He just feels like the hero. So it just there's this really weird clash for me in these later episodes where some episodes are about Clark's journey to becoming Superman, and then other episodes it just feels like he already is Superman but they can't call him that yet, and they they are a big part of this whole v R A storyline at the top of season ten, it really just feels like a Superman storyline. It doesn't feel like it has any bearing on Clark becoming to him anyway. But no, yeah, I really like, really like Michael Shanks, think he's great, and I remember doctor Fate being cool. Was he just season nine doctor Fan and.
Speaker 1: He died in an absolute justice Yeah, it's just so he's not coming back.
Speaker 2: I had. I had a senior moment last night when I was watching it and I was like, when did he When did the recast like Katie Cassidy in this And I was like, I don't remember that happening. And then I turned it off and I literally woke up this morning and the first thing that came into my mind was, that's a different universe. Different universe.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Elena Huffin's black Canary doesnt appear. She she would, you know, she was in some Stargate shows as well as well as I understand her, so she's she was a more available Canadian actress as I as I understand it, so she would pop up more often than some of the other Justice League cast members, like she was in the beginning of season eight, and she she shows up a couple more times in season ten, so she was she was available, and whenever they do a conference calls, she's on the screen and sudden sometimes she shows up in person. So Elena Huffman, I feel like I I think I called her Eleana Huffman for like several years on this podcast, so she had a lot of l's and a's, and I is in her name, so I apologize for saying her name wrong, but yes, she's she's here as well as Black Canary is one of the you know, I one of my hopes for the DCU, if it goes somewhere, is we have Green Arrow and Black Canary and they're like a couple and like their h their comic book accurate, because that's something we've yet to see.
Speaker 3: Then, Yeah, when I saw her, I had forgotten that there was a black Canary in this, and then I suddenly remembered, Oh god, this is where the like eye makeup instead of a mask thing that was in Narrow Season one came from imagine how long that takes. I'd forgotten that they do that in Narrow Season one. Was like, oh god, that was so bad.
Speaker 1: Small Bull is the blooprint everyone, But let's get into it. Then, Icarus.
Speaker 5: I've seen this level of hatred before humanity's darkest hours. Every time it looked like the world would be consumed by hatred and darkness, another force arose to send the darkness back.
Speaker 2: Well, this time it's us and we need to start by stalking.
Speaker 6: Slate Smallville All new episode this Friday at eight seventh Central.
Speaker 1: Icarus is the eleventh episode of Smallville's tenth season. It turned on December tenth, twenty ten. Was written by Jenneity Sparling and directed by Marzy Almus. Ratings watch, guys are playing the game where you guess what the ratings were for this episode back in twenty ten. Uh. To give you a little context, the previous week, the episode Luther got two point seven to six million, and then way back in the season premiere Lazarus in September twenty ten, that episode got two point nine to eight million. So those are the numbers we're working with again, two point nine eight for this season premiere and then two point seven to six for the previous episode. So with those numbers in mind, Alan, let's start with you. What do you think this episode got on a Friday night on the CW back in twenty ten?
Speaker 2: Two point five?
Speaker 3: All right, Rob, I'm gonna say mid season finale. They were probably pushing the proposal in a big way in the promos, so I'm gonna say this was probably a hi.
Speaker 4: This is probably two point nine, all.
Speaker 1: Right, two point five to five.
Speaker 3: WHOA, well, don't allen, I'm my dance you got.
Speaker 1: You guys are on these I'm throwing out these gay games. If you guys are guessing, great man, you guys are great games. And I think, no, your your logic does make sense, Rob, But this is like the middle of December. People are on college break, they're on vacation. This is pretty late. I mean small Though rarely went this deep into December. Sometimes they would have like one episode in December and that was it. To have eleven episodes before the mid season finale, like or before the hiatus, that's a lot. Usually it was like nine or ten max. So, but you know what, it's the final season, so readings don't matter. They were gonna get. They're gonna get the whole season anyway. They were renewed, and here we go so famously Lois and Clark the show the Proposal, Right, it's a big moment for the Lows and Clark through Adventures super Man. The TV show Smallville does it here. Every show requires its own, you know, approach to this sort of thing. I think it's never did I think watching Smallville back in two thousand and one in high school like, this show will end with Clark Kent proposing to less Lane. They'll be all the way. So all that aside, I mean, I know you guys respond well to the romantic angle of it. That's why you like Lowis and Clark's watch. But this whole scene here right, Clark's on the street, Lois Is are on a lay. They have some cute talk. He's trying to get her this nice dinner, but she's like, man, let's just go home. He's like, you know, you're a hard person. Ask a simple question. You like, I think the set up here is very beautiful. He spreads these rose petals everywhere. So yeah, what did you guys make of this? You know, this is really, I mean, a very important scene of the characters' lives here, Clark proposing Lowis. What are you guys thoughts?
Speaker 2: I thought lows and c acted it better. I remember that day, well, that summer's afternoon, watching that Cliffhanger episode and being, oh my god, I had to wait three months for the conclusion, or six months even maybe it was nice. I thought it was really overly sentimental. It was. It was very kind of old Mark channelish. I thought it was really like the music in the background I found really distracting throughout the entire scene. And they're both on fire. Eric Durantz is superb blow us as always. Clark Tom wedding was a great Clark Kent and it was nice. It was romantic, and you know, we have the rose pedals and you have everything that goes down, and it kind of reminded me of a little bit of that Adam Allinger comic book that supermindos one where they can't kind of get a date to work out because stuff's going on or whatever. But yeah, for me and I am a bit of a romantic and I loved all that about Los and Clark and stuff. It felt a little bit too sentimental and a bit too homemark for me, but I still enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Fair. What about you, Rob, I mostly agree with that.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that you brought up the music. I actually had a similar thought. And Mark Snow is long gone now it's it's Louis Louis feb Febre.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always do God bless them, but I do notice when Mark Snow leaves and the other guy comes in. The scores were never sorry not to offend the composer, but I just never thought the composers the scores were strong. I don't think it's as well done on Low and Clark. I think it's nice. I think it's it's sweet that the pedals is a really nice little Superman touch, and they do it practically and it's slowly and I'm thinking I remember thinking, oh, they probably only got one chance to do that, or they'd have to clean it.
Speaker 1: I was impressed by Again, practically there wasn't much a cgi. I was impressed by that.
Speaker 3: I thought it was odd putting it at the top of the episode. It was like it was this big emotional high and then everything else after the episode just kind of came down from that a bit. It feels like something you should put at the end of an episode. And I was trying to remember. I was like, I don't even remember this the first watching the show first time round. And the iconic romantic scene I remember from these latter seasons is when he tells her that he's the Blur and she like jumps on top of him and starts kissing him, and then they kind of I think they dance in the barn at the end and he kind of floats and it's like, I really.
Speaker 1: Those are real. Those are two different ending scenes from the from the fourth and fifth episode. Okay, so some might argue they should have combined those, yeah, but I would agree, like those are some emotional high notes there. Yeah, and you know, maybe maybe combining all these things together might have been the best. But that's the question to post, you guess, because yes, we've seen Lewis and Clark in their relationships and all these different versions, right, really do we get to the point where like they are gonna you know, get engaged and get married, like, you know, we didn't see that in a lot of the shows, but now we're in kind of that era where that happens. That's great, right, So these two they've known each other since the fourth season, they've been dating on and off. Well, they liked each other romantically in the eighth season, they were dating in the ninth season, and now here we are in the tenth season, they're just oh, okay, we're getting married, like, you know, not saying you need to wait forever, but I'm like, it's kind of quick, right, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, to be fair, Lewis and Clark dated for like two weeks, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's yeah, that's before the question she was taking out with that what's his name, Dan Scardina that's yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the week before right, another point that was gonna make I'm sorry, I feel like I do this every time I'm on your show. I also don't think Tom Welling is as good that the romantic stuff as other Superman actors have been. And he looks a little bit uncomfortable in this scene for me when he's like when he's doing his big proposal speech, I just don't see the same kind of.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't she be uncomfortable if you were in that position.
Speaker 3: There? But like a charming way, just just it in like a fact way.
Speaker 1: I actually I do undertotally see what you're saying, because I think that most of the time on the show. I think when Tom and Eric are together, they kind of there's a certain energy that she that she brings out of him, which is very charming and romantic in all the sou because he has a lot of wheelhouses, right, I mean, I think when he's the villain, when he's a bad guy, excellent, When he is like that older brother right to like a kid on the show, excellent, And then when he's like doing romantic stuff with Lewis excellent, right, I do see what you're saying here, Rob, It's not quite as charming as I would have liked it, you know. I think the stuff leading up to it is when he's like walking across the street and maybe a little flatter than I would have liked sort of thing. And maybe it's because they'll have one take. Maybe that was t you guys point with all the rose petals, like Tom, you gotta nail this at the first take, zooming out my bigger Superman question, y'all. Is because it's a different approach here, uh here from when like Lows and Clark was. But here she knows that he is the blur that he Suberman, she knows his secrets. They know everything about each.
Speaker 4: Other at this point.
Speaker 1: And then hey, now that we know everything, I'm gonna ask you to marry me. And I I think that's probably the better approach than like. But but I do understand on Lols and Clark that he wants Clark on that show, wants Lowis to love him for just being Clark, not Superman. At the same point, it's like, dude, like, shouldn't you tell somebody this before? Like that's kind of a I don't know, like because in the comic books it was kind of at the same time, right, he reveals he's Superman. It's that famous comic image he's ripping over with the shirt and it's like, will you marry me? And Lois is like, oh, right, that's so it's simultaneously and Lolis and Clark like, dude, are you gonna tell her you're Superman at some point? And so what what are your thoughts on her knowing the secret or not knowing? Why didn't he proposes?
Speaker 2: It's the much better is Like I said, I love Loews and Clark and go up with a huge nostalgia factor to me. But that's an issue Lois. Whether she's told by Clark, which I prefer that he tells her rather than her figuring it out, well, you know what, that's not technique true. I do like the fact that she's smart enough to figure it out, but she should know by the time that he's popping the question. As a huge issue I have with the Loews and Clark season. Now, technically Lois did know when Clark proposed, but he didn't know that she knew because she only knew for about twelve minutes. So but yeah, no, I think, you know, if you were this kind of bastion for honesty and hope and truthfulness and all those kind of things, you know, you can't hide fifty percent of who you are, have this massive secret in your life and then not share with the person that you're you're asking to spend the rest of your life with. So when it comes to that, I absolutely prefer this take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm conflicted on it because on the one hand, I think him not telling her is narratively more interesting and it leads to better conflict and it it's an issue then that they have to work through and he has to become a better person by by working through it. But it's deeply it's deeply problematic, you know, you know, And it's just the classic problem with the whole Clark Kent secret identity thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's just it's difficult to tell those kinds of stories in the modern kind of landscape we live in where, you know. So I think in that sense, I think Smallville was wise to sort of steer away from it. And I do really like going back to the scene I was talking about before that that scene where he tells her that he's the blur, and she just embraces him, and she's like, yes, you know that this means that we can really be together and we can bring the relationship to next level now because I was waiting for you to trust me too with your secret, and now you have. And I just thought that was a really sweet inversion of what we're usually seeing in these Superman stories, where she'll find out and sort of attack him with this information that he didn't share with her, or he'll just tell her like which they did in Superman and Lowis and they did in the comics and stuff. I think there needs to be a bit of a there need they need to play it a little bit. But yeah, I think the problem with her knowing is the heat kind of leaves then the marriage proposal because of course he's gonna say yes, you know right. Yeah, So it is it's a tricky one. I don't I don't know how best to handle it, but I am. I like what they did in Elson Clark, and I quite like what they did here as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like there a lot of variationship because it is a complicated situation, as you all said, like it's like, well, I've been lying to you every day for two years? Will you marry me? I'm like, well, let's we need to we need to talk about some things here before.
Speaker 3: Actually, last thing I'll say is I actually.
Speaker 4: Don't like how they did it in the comics.
Speaker 3: I think that was just sort of like he doesn't tell her a secret, and then he proposes, and then he kind of just tells her a secret a little while later and she's fine with it, and then they you know, it's not as it's not as.
Speaker 4: Kind of interesting the way they do it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I do have in my notes here, I do have the lions that the lions that took out to me most were like, you don't make it easy to ask a simple question, but that's what makes sure you And I thought that was adorable and that's that's so true to them and it's a beautiful moment. And I get your hallmark comments there, Alan, you know, but your wilds made very that that was the space we're existing in here, But yes, it is.
Speaker 2: The hallmark was just more about the kind of the overall feel of it. I thought I kind of just felt like it was that over sentimentality kind of stuff. But no, that's that was That was a great line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh on the empty streets of the seasons in Metropolis because there's no budget, there's no no extras, there's no one but you know, the middle of the night. And yeah, but she says yes, and that's a great moment, and we we've had out and then we go to the opening credits, and now she's gonna be they're gonna little did we know? We're heading towards the wedding for the for the series finale.
Speaker 4: Of Ever Become Superman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing, right, I mean, that's a conversation for another episode. But yeah, not only do we spend an exorbitant amount of time on a wedding at the series finalite, they actually don't get married.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just spent all that time. So oh man. So we go to the opening credits. We come back with the Daily Planet. You know they've established so there's like a borderline martial law going on a metropolis right now, there's these curfews, right, people getting checked in in the Daily Planet and scan Right. What's cute though, is because you know, well it just got engaged. She has this engageing rate and she wants people to notice it, and no one is noticing it, like just going through the courage. She's like, oh, I forgot to take this off. Hope it doesn't make the thing go off like next nobody cares like it's pretty cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I also was.
Speaker 1: Nice Cat Grant. I get you, guys. This is a great episode for you guys to be on being so Lewis and Clark is in your DNA. You're a Superman fandom, right, Cat Grant on small though? I gotta say not not not a big fan of Cat Grant. What are your thoughts, y'all?
Speaker 3: Which one?
Speaker 1: Well, everybody loves the first Cat Grant because it was it was a one off name they used in season nine and she was gonna be a TV show host, And I don't know if they ever thought about reincorporating her if they want to start from scratch with a character. What's so interesting is I had forgotten this rewatching season two doing the podcast. This Krant's name isn't even her name, like she has she has another name. She was like hiding from, like her her ex husband, like to protect her son and all this. I was like, oh, well, you're really not Cat Grant then, So that's that's interesting. But all I have to say, like I am a big supporter, as I know you guys are too of like expand the Daily Planet cast and having other characters around and people bounce off of, and I'm like, this, ain't it though, the same thing? This is what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't mind this character. I thought it was it was a nice little spin, making her kind of this conservative, you know, and busy body like that. I like the bit where she hanslawis a sniakerdoodle. Yeah, And like, you know, they take a lot of stuff from the comics here with her son and being on their own from an abusive husband or whatever. That that that's from the comics as well, So I kind of like that. I just think it's wild that they had a different Cat Krant last year, completely different character, and now they brought her back already. That that's the bit I can never get my head around. I don't mind her. I think a lot of people forget that the the way they did the Tracy Scoggins version on the On the Loss of Clark show that was exclusive to that show at the time, Like she wasn't this kind of like sexually charged character like that. In the comics, she was kind of just another romantic foil for Clark, and she was another go getter reporter, and she was a single mother and all that kind of stuff. That the whole.
Speaker 2: They sexualized her in the art though, didn't they didn't they sexualize her kind of She had big.
Speaker 3: Blonde hair, and I think she had other nice features, but I not not to the extent that she was like. It was only in Jeff John's kind of comics in the in the mid two thousands that they made her explicitly more like the Tracy Scoggin's version, and they gave her breast and plants and all this sort of stuff. And then and they did this weird joke where I think Supergirl is like, what's wrong with that woman? There's there's all this silicone her.
Speaker 1: It's really weird.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't have any huge issue, but there was a nice, interesting little twist to make her this way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I found her super annoying, and she kind of struck me as the kind of person who would have, you know, ratted out and Frank for hiding in the attic. You know, she's she's that kind of a character. And I when she came back and I was like, oh, yeah, I forgot about this this cat Grand. But look, she has a little redemption later on in the episode where you know, she she has the opportunity to really throw those under the bus and she doesn't. And you know, I like that that was brought about and how Lois kind of brings that about by you know, explained to her that she's been saved a few times without her.
Speaker 7: Evennoying it or whatever. But overall, she she does great on me, like she wouldn't be. She wouldn't be my favorite live action duration by a long shot. And hashtag justice for Tracy's Coggins. Whatever happened to that cat Grand, We'll never know.
Speaker 1: I'll never know.
Speaker 2: We'll never know.
Speaker 1: We'll never know. When they come out with Loewis and Clark ninety three comic book, we might find.
Speaker 2: Out what happened with Tracy's You'll be waiting for that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I you know, her function is to be an annoyance, and I get there. But there's a way to have characters like that and then to kind of but you enjoy them being an annoyance and versus they annoy you being an annoyance, and that's kind of where I am with the character. But uh so she comes in the other they have something. They have some talk here. But you know what, y'all, I almost forgot we have we have a note is Lois Lane? Is this Lewis? They say, you never know what fate has in store for us, but I say, you can see some happy innings coming from a mile away, and like, who could it be? Who could be from? And we have a flash to Chloe, who I've forgotten about honestly on this show. I had to look this up. I was like, I wonder, is this a scene that they just didn't use before or did is this one of Allison Mack's appearances this season? And no, y'all, this is a scene they actually shot for Lazarus the season premiere, and they left it on the cutter room floor. And that's why Alison Mack is uncredited for this appearance because she's not in the opening credits. All the other episodes that she appears in, she's in the opening credits, and when she's on the episode, she's not in the opening credit.
Speaker 2: So is there a significance to the the chain that she gets with the letter that I missed her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Did that come back? I just found very odd.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm maybe I need to turn my smum lil fan card. But that's a very valid question I have to answer for you. They have There's not like, oh oh yeah, it's our thing or no, you didn't have a thing. You were just cousbands who lived together sometimes in the talent apartment. Because I thought to myself, like, did they film this for this episode? But then no, because the talent got blown up a couple episodes ago, so they potentially didn't have this set anymore as far as the apartment goes. So it's it seemed it's so funny because it seems like something they would film and say, oh, yeah, this happened back then. You guys just didn't see it. But it literally is something that happened. We didn't see it. So and the talk about Fate is because then you mentioned doctor Fate. She put on the doctor Fate helmet at the beginning of the season too to find Alliver Queen because he'd been kidnapped, and so that's why she has seen the future. She literally has seen the future. So that's why was like, oh, it's I swear. Chloe is like sometimes you can see the future. So getting back to can't grant test. Mercer comes in right starts talking to Lois. Hey, Leis, congratulations, hope that doesn't interfere with your duties here at the office, and and then she kind of shows kat Ran away, which is amusing. She's like, none of which concern you. She leaves, and hey, they're gonna do a REDNA scan at the Watchtower tonight, y'all everybody be there and I'm root to REDNA scan up in security, Like okay, cool. Because she speaking of Chloe, tests has become Chloe. Now she's running watch Tower. She's the computer person.
Speaker 3: That was another thing I'd completely forgotten. But she's like an ally to like even remotely a villain by this stage. I know she gets with a meal, doesn't she.
Speaker 1: That's that's in the Hangover episode.
Speaker 3: That's correct Hangover episode. My goodness, gracious too, I remember that one. That was a weird one that was like two episodes from the end, and we're doing this Hangover nonsense.
Speaker 1: Actually, like like yeah, look, I'm for a good movie. Pause an episode right anytime but not when you're like in the countdown to the Let's make sure we make the time for this hangover inspired epis. So the kids are gonna love it, let me tell you. But guess what Lowe shows up for a retina scant. Clark's there too at the same time. What a surprise, right weird? Anyway, let's go in this dark room. Oh surprise, it's an engagement party from all the guest stars. We could get back this episode.
Speaker 2: The four of them.
Speaker 1: We have every star girl. You know, your close social friend stargirl hawk Van is here. Sorry I kissed your fiance a couple episodes ago, I said a vision of my dead wife. Sorry Hawkman did that.
Speaker 4: And a couple episodes ago.
Speaker 1: And doctor Emil. I love how they call him doctor. You talked about two cat grants. We have two doctor Hamilton's on this show now. They were Space Style a little more and Steven Hamilton was Joe Morton's character in the first two seasons. This is a meal Hamilton, but I bring it out and people probably sick of me singing this, but like, whenever it comes up, I find it so amusing. They call him doctor Emial all the time because they guess they don't want to confuse people. And it just makes me laugh. Like they it said to me, it sounds like he's a pediatrician doctor. He's gonna give you your shot. You're gonna get your lollipop anyway. But it's a wholesome scene, right, will slow down people. These characters just enjoy life together, sharing life advice. So we don't see a lot of this on Small Way. It was nice and we joke about who's not here, but it is impressive the amount of people they did get, I think for this scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, just for context, where is Martha came to this stage? Is she a senator? Is she of senatoring or is that finished with she?
Speaker 1: She is off senatoring, yes, but but she she does come back for a few episodes in season ten. Okay, so yeah, you would think his mom should be here, Is that what you think?
Speaker 2: Or even just a phone call or something just a little a little kind of a scene there with a phone call or congratulations.
Speaker 1: Lois's sister might be here, you know, just out there.
Speaker 3: It's the classic problem with any of these teen shows that but by this point in the series, when people are getting married, they don't want to pay to bring the parents back, so the parents are never there and the siblings are never there. Lane absolutely no.
Speaker 1: No to this season's credit though, like everyone is not here at the same time, but they piece mail everybody together, right because a couple ago, Lois's dad instance, we both came back, Supergirl was back field bed. That's a person I think should be here. His cousin, you know where she is. Maybe you guys probably thought they recast Supergirl with the Stargirl here. No, that's not Supergirl, that Stargirl, so you should be here.
Speaker 3: But when I saw Stargirl in this scene, I was like, is that just an extra? Like it's not just one of their other friends who we don't see, you know.
Speaker 1: Like the people that show up at their wedding, like the people right now.
Speaker 3: Oh. But what I'll say though, is, you know, yeah, other people should be there and all that kind of stuff. But my god, do they really make you believe that Clark and Oliver are just best friends now? And it's it's such a strength of these later seasons. They have such great kind of Batman and Superman energy to their friendship and you completely you know, it always feels weird to me in the later seasons of these teen shows where a lot of the main characters are gone, So like when when when he has when when the guy who's getting married has to pick the best man, he picks someone who he probably wasn't great friends with in ther seasons. Sorry to bring up Beverly Hills none of two and No, that happens in that as well, And it's just like, what that guy would not be his best man? What are you talking about? But I completely believe that Clark would ask Oliver to be his best man, and they just he added so much to this show when I think it really really needed it, And yeah, it's it was such a good idea to have like a Batman type character for Clark to fence off of. And I'm glad that they continued continued that with Superman and Lowis and John Henry Irons, which is kind of the same dynamic. And yeah, I just thought their energy in the scene where he asked him to be the best man really made the scene for me. I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. I mean spoilers for Superman Lowis season four. But Kyle Cushing gets married, who do you guys to be his best man.
Speaker 3: That was so stupid, right, it made no sense. Well, I guess like do you not have any other friends? Kyle push the.
Speaker 1: Guy at the fire station or something?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, come on right, I mean I get married in Superman's house like that's fun at all. But I mean that was like, okay, that's exactly mean it's fresh as of this recording against fresh on my Mom. That's exactly where my mind went when he was saying, pick what other main character who is Clark's best man? When on Loewis and Clark with Jimmy did they have a wedding party?
Speaker 2: Was Jimmy?
Speaker 3: It was Jimmy? And you know what, I actually thought it was stupid there as well. It's like he would have another friend who he would ask, like, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think Dean Kane has it. I mean I don't think Clark Kent has any friends. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, like in the comics, was it was it Batman It's best man? Or was it someone else? I'm trying to remember. Maybe it was Jimmy. I can't remember Pete Ross remember now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you think even like Peter, where's peace in this note? Because I know he came back he comes back from.
Speaker 1: Now Allan Allan uh as a as a man of the law. You'll be happy to know that the actor was currently unavailable for law reasons at this time.
Speaker 2: But did he not come back in the later episodes?
Speaker 1: He came back in season seven.
Speaker 2: That was that was before his trouble, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: So I could really go for some chewing him right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, he is currently being a roadie for One Republic in Universe right now, so hard to track their during schedule, so that's why it wasn't invited. But but yeah, I mean, Oliver, him and Clark have really they have been through a lot together, you know, so it's it's fair that he would ask him to be his best man. And and uh, it's so fun. It's so interesting to go back and watch Justice Justin Hartley on the show after seeing one This is Us and other things, and you see like the origins of the guy he would become.
Speaker 2: I may not have actually managed to appear on the Banshie episode, but I did all the research and I watched it before, and even in that I really enjoyed. He's two and he's too and fourth with the like Chloe and everybody in the in the Honeymoon Hotel and all that stuff, and yeah, he was really great. I really like Justin Hartley a lot, Like I compared him to Stephen Mla earlier on Like I one like the suit as much, but I much prefer this, I do. I much prefer the role. I think he's great.
Speaker 1: Well, I do think you know, we were talking about Bruce Wayne and Batman energy here, like this Oliver Queen is more like the comic book Oliver Queen, Like he's got cheerie and all that. Yeah, somewhat more politically minded, you know. On Arrow, it's like, oh, yeah, the Dark Knight trilogy, We'll just do that with green hair. That's it. There's that's it now. It goes on the show.
Speaker 3: During the day.
Speaker 1: The Lamborghini then, So that's the difference between that. Yeah, I would have loved to see a goateee on this guy, right, but it is. It was they were not going to have God forbid people wear glasses and facial hair on the c W ten drama that we're watching right now. So some cute back and forth though, but you know, they talk to hawk Man and they're like, hey, you and Srey were married what like a hundred times, right, how is that? Maybe that's weird, Maybe it's not weird. He's like, we all have to lose each other one hundred times too. I'm like, well, man, come on, Bill.
Speaker 2: Right, I actually thought that was a good I was like, oh that's I actually thought that was nicely no theory, but yeah, time and place, man, time and place.
Speaker 1: I do like, you know, I was joking by doctor Meil, I like, how you s here he is in the inner circle. I would have I mean, I don't know how the how the contracts and budgets work. I would have made him a regular for season ten. You know, I just have him. There was no no he was. He was in a handful of episodes, but never never enough. You know, if you do that, uh that thirteen episode contract that Eric Durantz and John Glover had so many years, who'd have been solved? Someone else for them to talk to? Because you know, as you've seen, when Alison Mack's not there four main characters of the show right now, Okay, that's Molson Clark had more than that.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 3: I remember actually watching the opening credits this week, thinking this feels longer for some reason. It's like, it feels like they use more of this, and now I'm thinking that it must be that because Alison Mack wasn't in it.
Speaker 1: Right, Just more money shots, more Clark doing super things, more of the black trench coat, more of that, let's see more of that, possuly he doesn't wear anymore.
Speaker 2: I remember being surprised last night when Erica Dranz was the second billing in the credits. I remember that kind of that kind of surprised me, as like oladok.
Speaker 1: Her ten years. Well, it took her, I guess, six years to get well.
Speaker 2: She don't get me wrong, she deserves it, like she's a highlight of the series. I absolutely love her. But yeah, that was great to see. It's gotten that now.
Speaker 1: Green Arrow and Hawkman traditionally you are at odds with each other. They play with some of that in the Absolute Justice two parter as well, and here you know they have an actual human moment between them. He's like he's just all warm and fuzzy, but you know, I'm sorry about Chloe, and he's like, you're not gonna hug you now, are you? And so I like how you need to establish the camaraderie between these guys, and you slow down, you take time to get to know them. It's like them Justice League limited with it. They're like sitting at the cafeteria talking like that. That's the humanizing stuff you need. And so many of these shows are just you know, plot point, plot point, action action. You don't get that. So this is a fun moment for that. Oliver gives them a good speech, is big cheers for everybody, and but yeah, I guess this kind of stuff makes me think, oh yeah, that's why it makes sense to have the proposal at the beginning of an episode, right because it's not a unlike Wilson Clark, it's not a cliffhanger what she gonna say. It's not like you guys said, she knows he's the blurd. She's gonna say yes. So you get to have these moments throughout and that's not the cliffhanger. To be hattier, they whole another They have a whole nother cliffhanger in mine. But yeah, it's it's it's cute. And then after this wonderful, you know, heartwarming party, everybody's walking home and Oliver tries to stop a crime and then everybody turns against him, and I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns, it turns. It turns pretty dark pretty quickly, like what is a mugging or an assault or whatever. And then he steps in and the crowd just turns on him really quickly and turns super violent, very fast, and real meanness to it and stuff. So I was I was actually surprised by that.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about no extras in the other scenes. There's loads of extras in this scene. Yeah, they put the boy seems to have gone into this scene.
Speaker 1: Your budget went to this seat, right, because it's this. It's as simple like a person mugging. Alver tries to stop it. You know, he's not going to change into green arrow because he's right there on the street. And then his identity is public, you know, So he pulls off a water poster off the wall right before this to kind of establish that, you know, he's he's an outlaw, right, he's been brandon terrorist now right because because of some his activities, blown up some nefarious government government projects. But this person nature, he's like, oh, he attacked me out of nowhere. Let's get him the whole, the whole, you know, the whole mob goes on him, and and I think, I don't see. This is where things get kind of muddied, because the whole plot of the season is like the darkness is taking over and like you see this omega symbol on people's skulls, and like where all these people have been taken over by the darkness. Yet maybe that's why they turn so quick. I don't know. I hate it when they undercut I love a good human condition commentary, right, so I kind of hate when they undercut it with like oh no, no, no, no, that was just this evil force made him do it. Don't worry. I'm like, oh, well, that's kind of a cop out, Like loo, can't you wonder Woman the first film?
Speaker 2: Not only that, like whatever about the ugliness on the street? And it might have seemed a bit unreal, Like if you watched this in twenty eleven. I can't remember my mindset at the time, but I could have watched it and thought that's they they want? Didn't that would never happen. They'd never attack a hero, they never attack it, But like what would their issues? But how could they turn the crowd like that? And obviously now fast forward thirteen years and it's absolutely plausible and can happen. What I didn't like, and again I haven't followed the whole season through for quite a while, Like the reference to this omega darkness or whatever you want to call it, infecting everybody and then kind of putting things like the Third Reich down to that and other things that have happened in history, like the Inquisitions and stuff. I don't like that kind of thing, like we need to acknowledge that as a race, we're horrendous to each other and there's a bit of personal responsibility there. I don't really like when it's an extraterrestrial force that to justify, you know, the massacre of millions of people, and you know.
Speaker 3: It is It is pretty DC comics accurate, though, isn't it?
Speaker 8: Like so many things absolutely as if the plays Yeah, like if if if it had been a case where maybe you saw someone who was friendly to Oliver earlier on or something and they.
Speaker 2: Had turned or a group of people who liked him had turned or something. But just kind of like, look, it's not really the people. People are genuinely decent and stuff.
Speaker 3: Can I can I ask that because my memory of the whole the darkness thing is that it's it's not that people like individual people are all just getting possessed. It's like a cumulative kind of spreading atmosphere of darkness that that infects people's souls as opposed to them just being possessed.
Speaker 1: Yes, so a couple of people get possessed, possessed like Godfrey gets possessed Earth too, Lionel Luther gets possessed. But outside of that, yeah, it's it's this this pray is on your fear and your your you know, your your worst tendency, that's the webs, and then that that kind of makes you more inclined to react negatively and you know, xenophobia, you know, and all these sorts of things come out, and that's that's kind of what they're doing. And that's about the the UH Vigilante Registration Act. That's why people are on board for it, because oh, yeah, these heroes are bad news after all. And then you know, and it's like a snowball effect that compiles and compiles and compiles, which not a bad idea, but I don't know if they quite figure out exactly how to articulate it at the end of the day, because ultimately how does it gets solved? They see a cgi Superman push a planet away, and they're like, oh, well, I guess we're okay. I'm like, well, that's not really I needed this. I need to Superman for speech to the United Nations to solve all these But if we can't see Tom Money in the costume, you can't do it. And what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So all these things just kind of it's a house of cards that kind of doesn't quite hold on.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry to give ahead, but I'm I'm assuming you've got other plans for the finale. So I do have to ask this boy, Superman in this show is literally strong enough to push a planet away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the best.
Speaker 3: Does that not make him the most power the Superman ever? Like even more powerful than like the Christopher Reever.
Speaker 1: Christoph you saw him struggling to push that moon get out of here? Man he puts to another galaxy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's a planet that's supposed to be bigger than Earth. I want to say as well, So it's like that is absolutely the biggest feat of strength we've ever seen Superman.
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 1: Absolutely take that Brandon ofth lifting up a continent and it's nothing, all right, So no, it's h he is true silvery superman power level at the end. That's why the show has to end because no, there's no other obstacle for him in that one. Yeah that's a good question. Yeah, well he gave up his powers, Allen, Okay. His family is not a weakness, Allen, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I often think about just retiring at forty.
Speaker 1: Look, there's plenty of other police officers. They got it under they got it fined. You go home with your family the next generation. So the government they're raiding everywhere. They're going to Luther Corp. They're going to the hospital, they're collecting all these people. Uh fortunately, kind of like in between all this, Lewis and Clark go home. When they're like unpacking their presence and having a nice oh this and things aren't things wonderful, They turn on the TV and they see all this going down with Oliver, and again this establishes Lois as a good understanding for like what his priorities are and he's like, no, I need to change that, and this has been the party for too long. But they're they're at a good place right, So she literally hands in the jacket right to go save the day that he does doesn't put it on though, by the way, to my point earlier, he's just see its hand of the jacket and he and yeah, he is super speeds off. She's like, oh, I guess the honeymoon's over. And I thought, you, guys, is that a writing thing or you're not married?
Speaker 3: This is oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just just saying, like, it doesn't there's perfectly void thing to say. I thought that was a funny line, like they act like they just got back from their wedding and their honeymoon and they had to go be Superman all of a sudden. But but you know, she's like, hey, you know, i'm journalism and ice cream your superhero stuff, Like I don't know. I this is a good scene in t thems for all for all the faults and criticisms we're having, for all these things, Like I think they their relationship is solid and the way they're presenting it to us is solid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: Then we start we start rounding up the test mercer. Right, she's reading the Daily Star, which I like the comment about the Daily Star cat Grant. Yeah, okay, kudos to cat Grant. I mean I was talking mess about her before. But she's like, hey, we should roam with this article. You know, we're losing subscribers. And she's like, well that was unsubstantiated facts, Like well, I mean he did get arrested. I mean like whatever, whatever, like he did, there was a story there, but obviously she's you know, protecting him. And Kat is very anti vigilante, so that that's in line with her character. But then the the government comes to take tests away and she's like, we'll talk to my you know, assistant, like we've cleared your schedule. So the government that's a threatening government line. They go, they go get doctor Hamilton with the hospital and they got all these characters. They put them in you know, the Daily Planet test his office basically and start injerrogating them. And meanwhile the heroes are at are at Watchdower and it's a it's Oliver and Hawkman and Stargirl and Black Canera's on the screen. So she's there, Hey, to their credit, you see like there's a picture of Flash on the screen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, we're they exit, they're not here, but they're still here sort of.
Speaker 2: And it's around this time that they raid the farm, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, small farm they're looking for I guess they were looking for Lowis, we're looking for Clark. I don't know which one they were looking for.
Speaker 2: So this this was my question. It hasn't been established that they know that Clark is the Brow at this point before.
Speaker 1: That was my question as well.
Speaker 2: Alan, Oh, okay, because I just assumed that there was some kind of something in a previous episode where they established this, like they put in two and two together and Kicking four.
Speaker 3: That they're smarter than any other Superman villains because the League.
Speaker 1: They're like, well, obviously this guy is the Blur, right, which.
Speaker 2: So I think that was because yeah, I was wondering, but I was wondering if it was it because Lois was engaged to Clark and they were aware that there was some kind of relationship between the two. Maybe and like that's obviously he's him. That's the only thing I was But I was worried that I had missed something in a previous episode where it would have been definitive, definitively established, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, in the episode where Stroke his first episode. At the end of it, Clark shows up to save the day and just talks to him like a person, like with no mask or anything. So, yeah, maybe that's how they know. So that could be the angle or they were just looking for Lois it was. It was vague to me too, Alan So but oh that the same Oh by the way, the same reporter. Shout out to this reporter. If it were today, she'd be Bethany Snow on News fifty two. But she's the one that interviewed Oliver Queen when he came out and said I am Green Arrow. She's the one on the news and like, vigilantes are attacking our citizens and all that sort of things. So, uh, to bring that whole thing into focus, they decide we got to go underground, right, We're gonna turn off they just we're gonna turn off watchtowers. So they go over to the big switch and they they.
Speaker 3: Turn off from the Batman is no more.
Speaker 1: That's not the same thing.
Speaker 3: You can't there's monsters out there.
Speaker 1: Batman is what does he say?
Speaker 4: Badman is to protect the people.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Jase's coming over for dinner. I'm telling her everything. This this this overreaction of like everyone wants to retire and shut everything down in fine, And just the fact that there'd be a giant lever for him, like like a mad scientist laugher and just turn it all off, Well, I felt bad for his black Canary.
Speaker 3: They don't even say goodbye. The screen just goes black. I I had trouble with this because it's a secret hideout. Why do they need to shut down the secret hideout?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: They don't, Like, there's no tactical advantage to this at all. And I'm close, Like, as much as we're talking about the blur and his costume, his modus operandi is still that no one can see him operate, Like they don't even have a picture of him on the wanted poster. I want to get back to that wanted poster.
Speaker 4: In a sec.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that the whole idea of them going dark as heroes doesn't just didn't. I understand that Clark needs to make himself scarce scarce as Clark Kent as well, That that part makes sense, But the idea of the heroes having to give up in here, I just didn't didn't.
Speaker 2: But even the fact that they're already underground exactly that they're operating under the radar, so we're just.
Speaker 3: Going to secret identity, deep undercover, deeper under cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like Carter Hall, your own sabbatical, Courtney Whitmore, you're studying abroad, Clark Kin no more? How long is this sustainable? You know?
Speaker 2: I was I was half expecting to just kind of show a scene of them walking out of the Watchtown with like fake mustaches or glasses.
Speaker 1: I gotta say that they're they're walking out after they shut everything down, way over dramatic.
Speaker 3: Why did they do?
Speaker 1: It's like like so motion. I'm like, it's not it's not the end.
Speaker 2: It's not the end of stand by Me, like where people are just disappearing.
Speaker 1: What it did remind me of, though, is the end of the season eight, right, because that's when you know the doomsday episode when it's just Chloe and Clark is like, Clark k is dead. Humananity is by weakness, I need to embrace by alien side. He just and you just slowly feel the dreams fades away and through those same doors. I was like, guys, it doesn't just stop with that. That's it doesn't work anyway. It was just Oh, also in this whole sequence is when they find out Slatest still alive. You also had a death stroke in your final season on your show. I call it your show. You guys know what I mean? He knows which one's worse. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: I reminded of a skit from a Family Guy where the general Halls are sitting at the table talking about you know which one is better, and Peter goes, you're both just awful. You're both awful. Yeah, death stroke and Clark was never really death stroke in anything but Name and this guy. I think I saw a poster a comment you made during the week where you call him death stroke McCann or.
Speaker 1: John m you guys being non Americans. John McCain's a famous politician, we were not.
Speaker 2: We're not that real mode.
Speaker 3: I don't know the world is watching.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that that that was very apt and like the one thing that that didn't. This actor play a very similar role in Battle Clever.
Speaker 1: Michael Hogan. He played Colonel Tyle. Boss got a fantastic show. I highly recommend The Boss. Anyone who is interested in sci fi is when the best sci fi shows ever. He plays a great character on that show. He has an eye patch on that show, So I'm like, oh, well, I guess that's good. I don't really think about death stroke when I was watching Smallville, I was like, well, that's kind of a weird old guy with okay, sure whatever, And now like I know what death stroke is, I'm like, this is terrible casting. No, he did a good job in his episode Patriot and he was just the character, but now he's he's this and where do you come down? You come down on lels and Clark is better than this one.
Speaker 3: I would say. I agree with Alan, Like the biggest problem with death stroke and Lewson Clark is that he's called death stroke. If they called him doctor Polaris, that actually would have been perfect doctor Polaris because he has magneto powers, you know, and it's actually really cool. It's a fun little episode in a really bad season of that show, whereas here it's like one step forward and two steps back or like four step back, like you know, he actually isn't the worst, Like conceptually, he's not the worst iteration of death stroke. Like a lot of the stuff is there, I think, And I'm like, he's a master's swordsman, and does death stroke have a healing factor.
Speaker 4: Is that a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I mean, I don't know. I mean Deadpool, he's a dead Deadpool is a rip off a death Strokes. Maybe that's maybe the lions get blurred there. I see what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think conceptually it's all fine. The casting is all wrong on the look is all wrong. That line he says near the end Fellas.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna save on that. We're gonna We're gonna hold that line.
Speaker 3: So I would say I'm conflicted, but I kind of feel like this one's worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry to both your points. The loophole is on Lewis and Clark. He's not like death stroke really, it's a name they attached to somebody. So that's the loophole that makes him not the worst death stroke in this They were trying to do the Slade Wilson death stroke and it's not good. So I and I'm tired of small little Season ten. I have to say, you know, well, this is the worst version of this character, and this is the worst version of this character. And this is the worst version of this character. I'm like, it's getting exhaustingly. The suicide squad is lame, this season dark Side and his minions are lame. This Granny Goodness was good, but the other one's lame. I'm like, oh, Man, season ten, you're you're you were doing so well Smavo with all your interpretations of other characters. And to Rob's point, it's because we're in supermanland now, and like that's that's a huge thing because he's in ten. Is this it's very kind of Mitch smash all these things and this episode is a great it's a great representation of how just everything is here and sometimes everything doesn't fit together too well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: He's the TV's like, wow, I survived the explosion was not with that great costs? And he points to this giant ass can I can?
Speaker 3: I just just one thing that the Superman homepage review alerted me to this fact the wanted poster that has all the heroes and it has Impulse on it, which is nice. It was cyberguns. And come back to the main question. Though Supergirl, she's called Supergirl? I did not. I never Oh, yes, she is literally called Supergirl in the kindon of the show.
Speaker 1: Is that correct, Well, there's an episode it's called Supergirl. That episode, Yeah, I know that chat, and then I had seen I want to bring this up, so I'm glad you so like there was like a Maiden of Might headlines and I'm like, okay, I see you want to call that because there's absolutely no way you would call her Supergirl for Superman exists.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: And then here they're like, oh, what's Supergirl right the prop department something the wires got crossed.
Speaker 3: Somewhere crazy, Yeah, it's the hero as often as they do because they say that word a lot, like that word shouldn't exist either, but like literally calling her a Supergirl, it's just like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean it's the It's so yeah, that's literally the next scene is that this this most wanted we have the blur, right, We had just have his S picture, which is funny because Supergirl is also she has the S on her bracelet.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So my thinking was, you know, I'm rewriting all these episode season T episodes as as I go, as I cover him, like they should have said Supergirl was the blur and that could have solved a lot of problems for Clark and like that, oh that was a different entity and now Superman is different or whatever. But yeah, just just to see her called Supergirl. What's also funny to me? In this wanted poster, by the way, green Arrow is a sketch. You have a picture of Oliver Queen. I don't know Dan. That's weird now, Achaman, they know who he is because I think Lex knew he was years ago, and that Sitana got mixed up in this like she she knows them, But why are you shoot on this list? Like she's a magician at a a traveling magician as far as they know. But Hawkman is hit. That's his mug shot from the well, I would say from the eighties. But you know, I had Jeff John's on the show. We talked about absolute justice and in his mind, the Jess society was always like in the forties. I'm like, okay, yeah, I don't know how that works in the timeline of small though, but fair enough, like that's what they're on new drills and stuff, and so that's that's how long Hawkman's been around. But yeah, that's I'm trying to think of any heroes they would be missing here. Oh with Marsha Manhunter, Martian Manhunter's not not here, another the cyborg m So.
Speaker 3: I'm where is Marshmann Hunder at this point in the show.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, he's gonna be the funeral later. But that's it, Like he's a detective in Metropolis. He had a great checkmate in season nine, was a fantastic Martian Man Hunter showcase episode. And to your point, Rob about how this is a Superman show, that was episode straight out of JAILU Like everybody was involved. Amanda Waller was there, Clark had to break in like it was a great episode. That was his last episode.
Speaker 3: That's a Jackie Brown plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Phil Morris, Jackie Chiles, that's who. Yeah, but oh jack I would say Jackie Brown. I was sign filled Jackie Brown, Pam Greer, Amanda Waller got it. Yeah, it across my streams there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Phil Morris did appear on a screen at the end of season nine. That was his official ending, and then they mentioned him once. Kloe calls him my favorite Martian sometime this season, which is hilarious. But that's that's the end of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They should have Cyberg on here. Yeah, I mean they both should be on here more than Zatana. You know, I'm sure Luther Korp has some security finish of him doing something but anyway, and this is what I'm saying, y'all, Like, I don't I don't know if this was the right thing to conflate all these plot lines in season ten, Like we have dark Side in his minions. We have like the government coming after the Heroes. We have Clark becoming Superman. We have Lows and Clark getting engaged, like I don't know, like we have the returnal legs too, Like it's way too much going on now. I think they're hedging their bets because they didn't really know how the Lex Luthor thing was gonna turn out. I mean, honestly, like that was probably a big reason they threw all the stuff off the wall.
Speaker 2: If you were to go back and cut something, would you would you cut some of those stories completely out of it?
Speaker 1: If you could go back, and I would probably cut dark Side, And I would get that because because you should make make the government the villain. I mean, I don't know, I don't know, But it's just like these emerging superpowered people, there would be people who would want to control them, and then Superman would come out of the end and say no, no, no, like like like he should be the guy that turns the Tide and what however, that books right at the end, and then you just you don't need dark Side or Apocalypse or Granny Goodness or Decide or godfree like like to our point here, like you don't need evil forces whispering in people's ears to be bad people like people are gonna be people are gonna be bad all the light on their own. So I would cut I would cut that out entirely, and I think you would have enough real estate is And then I would also remove the suicide Squad because for some reason, the Suicide Squad got conflated with like the VR thing. I'm like, you guys are, yeah, Chloe's gonna show up being in charge of them and like being in the matrix like the next episode, and I'm like, what is this about? I would also remove remove that. So that's what I would do.
Speaker 3: I actually disagree. I I really like, well, I have to be careful what to say here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I get that it is a bad adaptation of Dark Side, Like there's no arguments there, but I do really like that the the overall challenge that Clark has to become in his final hurdle to becoming Superman, as he has to take on this darkness that is kind of just this etherial metaphysical thing that's affecting the whole world, and only a beacon of light and courage and hope as powerful as Superman can can stop that. But first, in order to stop that, Clark has to, you know, tackle the darkness that's growing inside himself. And it as a wonderful, wonderful scene with Jonathan as a ghost at the top of the season where he's talking about the darkness that's coming and all this stuff. I really like all that stuff. What I I don't like this v ra stuff at all. I remember at the time thinking this just feels like a huge filler storyline. It's kind of ripping off Watchmen, which had only recently the movie had come out, and everyone was saying that at the time, like this is just copying Watchmen, and and it also the fact that we even need a Vigilanti Registration Act because there are so many superheroes in this world just highlights how ridiculous it is that there are so many superheroes in a world that does before Superman, before Superman. It just even then I remember thinking, God, this is this is a lot, you know, and so yeah, I would get rid of the v Ra stuff and just focus on the Darkness and Clark becoming Superman.
Speaker 1: And I see that, I think thematically, I understand that. I just I think dark Side, like he the reach exceeded their grasp with dark Side, and especially knowing what they ended up having to do, like the Returnal likes Luthor though more than anything, that would be my number one plot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but yeah, but I can I can cletely understand why they couldn't nail themselves to that cross with you know, casting and stuff. But I can kind of see from both your angles. Yes, I don't think the dark Side stuff or the Omega stuff was done very well. The Apocalypse stuff has done very well. I think you could have a situation where the government has overreach and you know, things are really grim and Metropolis or grimm around the world, and the only thing that kind of drags hu many out of that is the appearance of Superman. Who's this you know, bastion of Hope and everything. I don't know if the government storyline could have would have worked for twenty four episodes. I don't know if they would have gone twenty four episodes out of that I think it's a lot. Maybe you'd have to add something to you have to have some kind of a big bad for him to fight in the final episode. Was there ever any kind of.
Speaker 1: Like los Allen asked to fight in the final episode? Was that river?
Speaker 2: And maybe maybe you don't know that, but was the river? Any kind of a discussion about maybe having him turn into Superman before the very end of the season, maybe having a few episodes off him or anything like that where maybe in the mid season he would turn into Superman and you just get some kind of.
Speaker 1: Well as the story goes out. The original script for the series finale was he was gonna be Superman like in the first scene, and then I have two episodes of Superman.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then Tom Allen was like, Nah, I don't think that's our show, and I don't want to wear the costume. We're gonna change that, and that is the biggest we got. What we got?
Speaker 3: Soh my god, man.
Speaker 1: Lots of conflicting interest. Now here's here's the thing, right, I have been pretty hard on Tom over the years about that. I think look, in twenty twenty four, Tom would have been Superman, right, but at the time he just wasn't there for it, man, And it's still frustration, like I'm not gonna lie. I'm like the whole one of the show has he become Superman. But when he signed up in two thousand and one to do this, you know, that was like, sure, I'll do like a last scene or some one thing. I guess now, Alan Miles, right, the creator of the show, They have said like, look, if they were still around, they would have gotten Tom to put on a Superman costume. Like they probably had more sway over him than now because he's an executive producer on the show. I mean, he's putting this time. He has his say, that's his right to do it, but come on, man.
Speaker 3: Like I just this thing I keep coming back to is he was concerned about only ever being seen as Superman. You know. But you know, even then, if you googled Tom Welling Superman, like your Google images would just be full of photoshops of them wearing the costume. Like everyone I talked to about the show who didn't watch it, they're all they're always like, oh, yeah, well he obviously wore the suit at one stage, right, And I was like, nope, he never wore it, and They're like, wait, what, they don't believe you because they've seen all these images of him wearing the suit that are just photoshopped, so it didn't even make sense. Then, you know, I just.
Speaker 2: Never I'm still I'm still bitter whatever, but I'm not even wearing the suit, which is bad enough. I'm still bitter about the fact that they didn't have their own suit because they didn't have the show.
Speaker 1: Well, if he would have worn it, they would have had to make their own suit. But since it was like, well, you're not gonna wear it, well, then here, we'll just use the Superman Returns prop. There you are, and it's tough, y'all. It's it's I'm coming down to like the realization again that he didn't put on the costume and stuff.
Speaker 3: Now, maybe he would have put on the Superman Lives costume.
Speaker 1: I I would have. It's so interesting that, you know, Superman Returns came out during the show, so the show kind of had to adopt that. I mean, you look at the as it's not exactly the Superme Returns S, but it's it's way more in that style than anything else. But I'm like that never showed up. They would have stuck with like the probably more christ Reeve as Gas and you know, because so much because you know the the CGI Superman we always see he has the gold ass on the back of his cape and anyway, yeah, oh man, but yes, it's I think we're all agree with whatever they were doing wasn't quite working, wasn't quite fitting together, and I think dropping some element to make another element would have been preferred. And I think to me the answer is lex Luthor. But if you don't have the actor and they're not gonna recast, and they went down to the last possible second before they got Michael back, so they can't hitch all your horses on that wagon, right, But I don't know, it's it's tough, and you didn't. The thing is, if you, like you said, could could the v R A kind of take that whole Could it carry a whole season? Maybe not, but then you have more opportunity for episodic stuff like, oh, here's a let's do it. I have an idea. Let's have a story as the Daily Planet, and we have to cover this episode or for example, because at this point everything is everything is the big plot. There's no side stuff anymore. Why season nine is That's why I like Season nine so much. It's this whole arcing season, but there are a little you have this episode or that episode, and you know, and all it's all kind of building towards the same thing. Season ten is just like we are all over the place.
Speaker 2: Well that's what That's what I liked with that bench episode because I often say it like I said that a nauseum that you know, I grew up in that episodic like we ordered that episodic generation of TV like TNG and all that kind of stuff. And I really enjoyed watching Benshi because it was pretty self contained, you know, the one where they go on their their couple's retreat or whatever. But I was a little bit worried that this one, remembering that season ten was was a full story arc throughout that I would be completely lost. But I slid back into it pretty quickly and pretty easily, and even just for one shot. Even though it's a lot of stuff obviously happening, and a lot of stuff leaving up to this, and there's a lot of stuff to come afterwards, I still enjoyed the episode, the experience of sitting down and watching it and following the story of this one episode and the fact that I had a proposal and it had all that kind of stuff and it you know, I didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy that those aspects of it.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm glad I was. I was a little concerned because once I rewatched this, I was like, man, this is pretty heavy for these guys. I know you had some small knowledge from before, so only that helped you. Because this is literally every plot line going on here is here. So they're interrogating all the good guys, right, And Lieutenant Trotter is a death Strokes lieutenant here and she was in uh Patriot a couple of sodes ago, she's in this episode. She's in the next episode as well, and she's uh. She actually in her interview with Ola speaking about do they know Clark is the Blur, She's like, I hope your fiance is not the jealous type considering your close relationship with the Blur, I'm like, okay, so that makes me think, you know they know? Yeah, And they also, by the way, they also know his his his weakness because they make a kryptonite cage in the episode that the death stroke dies in, so Okay, you know they know a lot about what's going on. Well, yeah, because the next thing, they all the Green Arrow, Hawkman, and Clark all show up in your death Strokes office here. And it's funny because they had said, we got to go off the grid. We can't communicate with don't you have like a secret channel you could? I mean, right, what have you guys been doing anyway? Like no, wonder we don't see cyborg impulse than anybody. You guys can't even communicate here, right, But it's it's it's bringing the three of them together and uh, they're like, what are you doing here? The same thing as you looking for answers? And you know, I like hawk Here's my struggle with Hawkman is I think Michael Shanks is like character wise and like, yes, he's the best hawk Man. The only thing I'm like, ah, man, his helmet kind of looks weird, but I think, you know, we'll see it in a second here. But the feathers, I think they finally figure out the feathers like they look good in this episode because and absolute justice. I was like, I don't know, y'all, that's a little but I think they have perfected that so there's I think just made that that cow look better on hawk Man. But but I like it, like he's the veteran hero. He's the one here taking charge, you know. So so I like his approach, like his angle here and he's the one like he led the golden age of superheroes on Smallville and Clark is gonna lead the silver age of superheroes on Smallville.
Speaker 3: So I love it. When they said that was great, you lead this generation.
Speaker 1: Silverage pure, it was yeah. But you know, during this scene, Clark's like, oh, man, like if they know about Lois and the blur, like what kind of marriage is that gonna be? So they're they're planning some doubts unfortunately for Clark, which you're gonna like that's the thing, right, Like they're on the same page. Things are great, but they keep they gotta find that drama. So literally, up until the second to last episode, I was like, I don't know if we can get married Clark, because you're gonna be a superhero. I'm like, guys, could we not have done that? Like it's just like, oh my goshhough and it's been done before for for Smallville, Like at least that's the more adult, like, that's a real conversation to have on like all the Lata high school stuff. So we have matured in our CW drama.
Speaker 2: I think how old are Clark and Lewis in season ten? Roughly? Are they like twenty six twenty five?
Speaker 1: They are twenty five? Lois maybe twenty because Clark is fifteen and season one he's probably fourteen, and I round up a little bit, so at some point he's fifteen, yeah, okay, and then ten years later Low's twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because twenty. It's one thing that when I was watching it the last night, obviously, look, they have to progress the relationship, but I always thought that I can never quite accept Lowis Lane wanted to be a wife and married to twenty five.
Speaker 1: Well that's why they don't get married for seven more years out. Yeah, maybe that's part of it. I think she's then thirty two. It's insane how young these people are supposed to because we're all much older than them now, and I just still got there. I was like, I'm gonna grow up and be this Clark getting one day I'm way older than him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I turned forty two weeks ago, man, and it's wow. Not me for six?
Speaker 1: How old and just how old are how old Lewis and Clark? How old are Lowis and Clark on Lewis and Clark in their mid twenties.
Speaker 3: Their twenty Clark is twenty six in season one?
Speaker 2: Wait, because then yeah, he turns up he's twenty six.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, that was holding.
Speaker 1: That's amazing that, like Dean and Terry were younger than Tom and Erica were when they like started playing these younger versions of the characters.
Speaker 3: I think right, Gerard Christopher, who played super Boy, was thirty one he played super Boy, and he was like seven years older than Dean Kine was when he played super a couple of years.
Speaker 2: It's like, what was what was Chrisphreevey twenty six in Superman Movie twenty six? Like it's he's.
Speaker 3: Four twenty four when he got cast cast film most of it.
Speaker 1: They don't make him like they used to guys.
Speaker 2: No, no, they don't.
Speaker 1: Did you wonder who else was gonna pop out of the shadows though? In the scene, because like first it's Clark and then it's hawk Man and the green Arrow was like, well the big three of us? Is everybody here? Like I thought that was amusing.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to know how they found the office and got into it so quick, because you know, there was it was it was like that. That's how there's there's an episode in the season one of those in Clark where they have to break into his government facility and there's a guy who gives him a key card. He talks about how amazing the security system is, and it's just swiping the card and walking straight in. There's nothing to do with a kind of interview that.
Speaker 1: There's something to be said for, like what kind of episode, what kind of story we tell it? Are we telling? We got to break in this facility, like because you could make an entire episode about what they are doing right now, But instead it's like one scene and they're all there and they're like all right, yeah, we move on. They all have people except for green Earrow. What's funny is like they talk about Greenrow like we're not really interested in you, We're just interested in your French because you're just a human, you have no abilities.
Speaker 2: And then they find this document. This is the kind of operational document is Icarus document? And is that that's just a list basically of all the vigilantes and all their associates that they're going to target. Is that what that is?
Speaker 1: It is the list of all of the Double O agents and their code names. It is the is the list of Mission impossible in Skyfall, every espionage film ever made. But this is you know, this is by the way, episode titles an episode post one because Icarus. Right. It was weird because later on we see Hawkman in his wings on fire. I'm like, oh, is that that's the Icarus reference? But no, it's it's it's this. I'm like, oh, okay, sure, small, well, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I have a I have kind of a life rule that anytime I hear someone explain the legend of Icarus in a TV show or a movie, now I have to finish my drink just for the rest.
Speaker 4: Of my life.
Speaker 3: It's just a drinking game I'm playing because it happens in every single genre show. Cobra Kai last year, we're talking about Icarus. You know this that James Bond on another day it's it's Icarus and we have to explain what Icarus is and he flew too close the Sun. It just seems to come up every single time, and every single time we have to explain but it's it's in everything.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, we get it, we know whats is. You don't need to explain.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a Star Trek episode where they just bound to be.
Speaker 3: It's probably the US. There's a scene.
Speaker 2: Surely there's a scene in a previous season where John Glover mentions it or something.
Speaker 1: Surely the story Vicarus.
Speaker 3: We ever heard the story of us claw Icarus was and his son day Dallas, but.
Speaker 2: He didn't realize.
Speaker 3: You can actually see that. You can see the way they'd frame that scene.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I can picture my head gex I.
Speaker 3: I thought it was so funny that Oliver Oliver I had to explain to Hawkman what Icarus was. Cowman Oliver.
Speaker 1: Like, well, hawk Man, he's he's a historian here, obviously he's been for thousands of years. He starts talking about and this is what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Probably knew the guy.
Speaker 1: I knew it. Ni Cheras was an asshole. But he's talk talking about the Spanish Inquisition, the Third Reich. You know, the darkness has been here before several times, right, I'm like, okay, well they I've forgotten this element. And I thought, like I thought the darkness like the only thing that stopped here was Superman, but I guess other things stopped it before, so I guess Superman is not that special. Uh, I don't know what are you saying here?
Speaker 3: Show?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know. I had forgotten the fact that they had. As we talked about earlier, I conflated the darkness of history with choice, you feel like, but using using world history atrocities to kind of like hype up your villain is an odd choice.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I agree with.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm saying earlier on. I don't like it. I don't like when they try and justify things that have legitimately happened with this stuff. But look, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, within Like, where do you guys stand on Nazis being used as villains in genre movies like Indiana Jones and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't mind that as bad.
Speaker 1: That's a different speed though, don't you think, because like they're in the era and like obviously those are the bad guys there. Yeah, they didn't say, oh no, Hitler would have been cool if like dark Side didn't come tell them what to do, like you know, like that's the difference.
Speaker 2: Yea, if the Arc of the Covenants had created the Nazis, I would have been like, okay, no, the fact that they're the actual No, I don't mind that. I don't mind that at all. I don't mind that at all.
Speaker 3: The reason I bring it up was we were watching of all things, Crisis on Earth cht and seriously saw these Nazis. She was like, wait, what there's Nazis like and they can just do that. I'm like, yeah, they do that all the time in comic book stuff. It's not a big deal. And she's like, yes, it is.
Speaker 1: She was like, it's interesting. Okay.
Speaker 2: I remember I had I had an ex girlfriend a long time ago, and her father took issue with the fact he didn't like like, you know, like Medal of Honor games and stuff like that, you know, like where you play PlayStation games where you relive historical events like the you know, storming Omaha Beach and stuff for entertainment. But then I was like, but you watch these movies all the time and for entertainment, and he was like, yeah, but that's different. But yeah, I can see his point of them.
Speaker 1: A little bit older, so you get more of this government interrogation stuff.
Speaker 2: I want to I just want to say the government interrogation stuff. I love a secret door and I like the fact that lowest mental contraption under the under the desk to make good or escape, Like Test just has this kun It reminded me of Alkilmer's slide under the chair in in Batman Forever. Just this door to a slide, and I was like, wow, where does this go? Obviously goes into like some kind of you know, high tech base or something, and she just walks out of a car door. It's it's literally just brings of the office.
Speaker 3: I like that as well. It's a gag that they didn't need to do.
Speaker 1: It was just yes, yeah, And I think it kind of plays in a like Test with this like Checkmate agent, and she had all this stuff in her office, so it's not completely out of like out of context, like it is completely out of over but knowing like she had had some some superhero sheanigans there before you know.
Speaker 3: I saw the signal ready.
Speaker 1: You know so much of like why I'm interested in, like I do this ascreed on multimedia editing all this stuff. A lot of this comes from my favorite movies as a kid finding out, Hey, you know this movie you watch a thousand times. Actually it originally was made this way. I'm like, what, how is that even possible? You know, And because because of Batman Forever, that sequence was supposed to start the movie not happened in the middle of it and all that stuff. So anyway, released the Shoemaker cut is what I say. I would love to see it, So.
Speaker 3: Not to go too off topic controversially, as much as I want the Shoemaker still go back into the movie, I think that that was the correct move starting the movie the way they did.
Speaker 4: I thought it was more.
Speaker 1: Really starting like in the heat of the action with two faces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yeah. I mean it made it feel different to the other two, and it just makes it more exciting. It just rattles along at the pace. There's a great the virtual work print fan edited Batman Forever, if if anyone is interested in the humor Shoemaker cut, I believe that is probably the closest to what the Schumaker cut will end up being if we ever see it. And I always find whenever I watched that the movie is kind of a bit plotting at the start because they rearrange it. But anyway, topic for another.
Speaker 2: Part, it is just just for Terry though. Is it is it that he uses that escape, that that office, the turbo lift or whatever you want to call it, to go to the two face situation? Get ready for that?
Speaker 3: Yes. So the first scene in the movie is actually Bruce Wayne meeting Edward Nigma and he sees the signal and then he goes back into his office and then we see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to put the Red Book stuff back in there. That would kind of flesh out one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always hold on to.
Speaker 1: Batman forever need But you know what goes out to shoot here, She finds the secret exit in tests his office and runs into cac rant And you know that this is a as you guys said, it's a redeeming moment for Grant because she could have she could have turned her in, right, because she is the kind of character with that as you said, Alan would have sold out and and Frank and Frank, Yeah, sold out and Frank. But you know she's not. She proves that she's not, and that makes her, you know, some redeemable quality. She might be annoying, but that doesn't mean she's a bad person. So Lois gets out.
Speaker 2: We find out that the he's CCV, right, all right, he has access to like it's like big brother. He's access to CCV all over the city and all the hospitals, all the offices, Oliver's office, all that, all that stuff and keep being under constant surveillance for god knows how long. Yeah, I thought that was I thought that was cool. I thought that was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, which tracks is exactly what the government and government would do, right. I mean, the episode that introduced Lady Wilson was called Patriot right, the Patriot Act, very small of this post nine to eleven America, y'all, let's not forget. So that's what really with here. Clark gets tests and Hamilton out he sleeper speeds them out. They get they get put the safety. Lois goes up to Oliver his office, uh, starts going through stuff in his office, and then we have death stroke and like we've seen him on a screen and now he's in person, And I don't know, would we have liked it better if he was in a costume of some kind, maybe, but would then you could have had a stuntman, yeah, some things and not see this old man swinging around a katana.
Speaker 3: Let's yeah, though, considering it's an old man. They did a pretty good job with the fight scene, like, and there's probably a stone Man in there somewhere, but if there is, they eyed him pretty well. Like I didn't. I didn't think he looked too ridiculous running around with the sword.
Speaker 2: He looked. I thought he looked good, like with with his intuction with Lois and then with the with Hawkman as well. I thought it was he did a decent job. I'm wondering how all that man actually was because we keep calling him in the man. I'm afraid to look it up in case we find out like he was forty three at.
Speaker 1: The time, he was in his late fifties if not.
Speaker 4: Sixty, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Confrontation with Lois here smacks her around, yeah, very physical, right, and then then he pulled a gun on those points in her head. Right, and then just when he's about to you know, kill her, a hawkman comes in and saves the day. And this is where this one I was like, damn, Like they really kind of figured it out. Hawkman's wings and feathers, like you see the texture, Yeah, the whole wings that kind of go in and outer.
Speaker 2: So did it did look a lot worse, did it? Because when I watched it last night, I was like, this looks a hell of a lot better than I remember it.
Speaker 4: Looking I remember.
Speaker 2: So it was was it? Was it worse than previous episodes like the wings and the feathers and stuff or am I?
Speaker 3: They were practical and upset Joseph, weren't they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There was there were some shots where he was just kind of like hanging there. It didn't okay, yeah it looked weird, but here they were totally cgi nothing pretty s The the glass breaking was a little weak, I thought, c g I wise, but he himself was pretty solid. His wings contract, That's the thing, right, I think it's got in the comboos. His wings don't contract. They're just there, and like that's so much of the character, Like leave those on, Like that's when it goes away. You're just this guy with his breastplate and this giant bird head. And I think that's why the cow looks all off at that point so it can hide. Yeah, it's hard to choreograph it some giant wings on your back.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you, Zach, because I genuinely have not seen black at him. Do they do that in Black at him or does he just have the wa they.
Speaker 1: Do, they do the thing where they did, but well the masks disappear. Now that's infuriating to me, Like the whole I hate. It's like have a hood, you know that you put on take off, like it's something about you pushing a button and your mask goes away. Is so lame and so now visually Black at him as the best hawk Man. But the problem is they don't. They don't touch on anything like reincarnation or his history. He just and I like Aldri's hot. She's like he's a great actor and and it looks great as Hawkman. But they like so much of that movie was so surface level, like how do you have a movie with doctor Fate, Black Adam and Hawkman not talk about any like any relationship with them from thousands of years ago. It's such a missed opportunity. But yeah, but yeah, man old Man Michael Hoagan pulls out this katana and him and the Hawkman are going at it with a mace and small villa, which is nearly not big on the physical combat this is and we all jokes aside about death stroke. It's not an unimpressive fight.
Speaker 2: That no, No, I thought it was pretty decent. I have to I have to say, I thought it was pretty decent. I thought it was going to be corny. I thought it was I thought it was pretty good. And like you they're when they're rolling the mace hits the ground as you know, the force impact of it, and like you really feel like there's real stakes at play here, that someone someone, someone's really going to get together.
Speaker 3: It's classic Smallville though, that like, on the one hand you have this like perfect comics accurate hawkman, and then on the other hand, she just old man like when it could have been if this had actually been death stroke in a death row costume, having this fight like it would have been epic. It would have been iconic. People would be talking about it for years. But because it's just this half measure, you're like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: That's true, such a strange choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's no reason he couldn't. It was just like put on pulled on the mask for the fight, even but he's in his dress uniform. You just fighting cockman, you know, And I know, like the industrial look is in at these office buildings and stuff. But maybe Oliver Clean, maybe if it didn't have these pipes on the side of your office. Maybe when we hit it with the sword, it wouldn't blow up and almost kill Lois. Now while this is going on, like so he deth Tro hits one of the sword, one of the pipes blows up like and we get steam everywhere. And then in this distraction is when Destro kills Hawkbat. He stabs in through the heart through the back. Now Hawkman had predicted his death was coming soon, and we saw him in shields. I'm like, okay, it's fair, makes sense he would die. But he has one and there's one lad to rock act. His wings come back on. He uses them to shield himself and jump out from the fire that blows up. Lowis gets blown out the window because of this explosion that this chain reaction, this explosion, and then he jumps. It's a pretty fun visual, right, He jumps out of the window with his wings on fire, much like Icarus. His wings melted.
Speaker 2: Son I got the impression that he opened the wings solely to protect Lows from the blast and that she kind of went out as a result of the whatever you want to call it, the force or the blowback that he when when the explosion was coming. He puts the wings up to shield her because you see the fire kind of being deflected off her. And then she gets blown out the window. And then I was full sure you.
Speaker 1: Know how hard you have to get blown out to shatter an office building window. She must have broken a bone or two just breaking that glass. Right, But it's a great vision because you see Lois falling down and we see him swooping in with his wings on fire, like that's as Clark was was going to catch her. Well, we are running like where's Clark right now? Because he's because he asked where's Wallis? Right with the other the other two umbers right? Yeah, great visual, But then uh we cut to just death stroke walking around. I guess he well, we see the explosion happened to him, and like then I guess he just went downstairs. He's in like the loading dock of Luther Corp. Or whatever. Him and Clark have a confrontation here and we see his his dress uniform was a little battle damage. You know, Clarks, I hear the explosion. You heard it, Okay, Well you didn't do anything about it, but that's.
Speaker 3: He was definitely not dressed as.
Speaker 1: The why the hell is he not wearing Is it because they're underground? I mean, why is that? Why is that their excuse for not him not wearing the costume? Well, this is there's a lot of lines that people quote in small But that are like infamous lines, and this is one of the most infamous lines in the show. So Clark's like, I thought you were dead more or less, and here's what death stroke says. Let's just say the Reaper can swing his sick let me, but I'm beyond death stroke.
Speaker 3: Now, Oh my goodness, gracious.
Speaker 1: Someone wrote that as a line of dialogue.
Speaker 2: Now it is.
Speaker 3: It is definitely not worse than I'm you only a little bit more bizarre.
Speaker 1: That is the other line I was thinking of Robins, I said, there was a lot of lines like that. Oh my goodness, that.
Speaker 3: In this line of defense. If you were just a fan of Smallville and not Superman comics or DC comics or anything like that, and you heard him say that, you wouldn't think wait what, You would just think, oh, that's just the dialogue. That's fine. You know, where's the only a little bit more bizarre line? It just doesn't make any sense. Yeah, So it's like, no one would ever say that, whereas someone like this, you know, swing a sigle, but I'm beyond death stroke. Now you probably wouldn't really think about it if you weren't a comic book plan. So in that respect, I think it's better, but it is still ridiculous that he said.
Speaker 1: That, and that's why he's called death drogs. But Clark trews the reason with him. He's like, we're supposed to protect people, know you can you can't love people. He's like, no, you don't believe that. I know you had a family before. And that kind of shows like the darkness is influence and I was like what is I was like, what is Clark going to do here? I'm like, what's gonna happen? We just saw him kill Hawkman and like he's obviously possessed by the darkness, and and then of course he mentions Operation Icarus again and you know you would fall because of your faith in humanity and faith your own invincibilium. Okay, fine, fine, fine, fine, that tracks right? Does this actually see a man with burning wings? So they do? They do tie it to the individual right from the sky. So Clark he just puts his little Phantom Zone Crystal on him and just he raproizes him away, and we have not seen this or seen him do this in seasons, so this is such an out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: So that was that was gonna be my question. Has this featured anywhere previously? Because I couldn't remember this little esque crystal. Well assume he's sending him to the phantom zone.
Speaker 1: That yes, yes, as we find out and way later this season when when Oliver and Clark get trapped in the Phantom Zone, he talks to Zod there and so I was like, what are you sending your your own criminals so your father will be disgusted, which is actually a good argument from Zod.
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned the bizarre lion right in that episode the season six finale phantom Clark uses really is crystal and whatever not, but he takes it to He's been using it on phantoms throughout the season. If they are phantoms that have possessed physical people, it will take that phantom out and put them in the phantom zone. He tries to use that crystal on Batista, and Batista's like, hey, nice shy, but I'm not a phantom. So it doesn't work. Okay, okay, we've established it doesn't work on physical people. Then that the phantom who becomes Bizarro, shatters that crystal and it's and it's gone forever, and we've never talked about it since. Now John Jones, the Martial Men owner, has his own Phantom Zone crystal. But the whole point of the Legion episode is the Persuader comes back in time and tries to go Clark with his big axe. He destroys that crystal. There are no more crystals, there's no more Phantom Zone projectors, there's nothing. I remember watching this episode live, like, what the hell happened? I didn't understand. Like I've watched every episode of this show, and I don't know what you just showed me show. And so somewhere along the line, either they forgot or didn't care. I'm like, ah, we'll do this, and like that was their solution for him to just judge jury and executioner send this guy off to you know, Purgatory Land was like, I don't know, man, So I'm glad Zod calls him out of it later.
Speaker 3: Honestly, if if if Anthony Desiato is listening, this is the Smallville equivalent of Superman flying the criminals off to that cabin opened the costume.
Speaker 1: Yes Yes, shout out to another exciting episode and the eventually Supermann our friend Anthony Deciata's podcast whenevery way, when anybody finds out Clark's secret, the running gag he has on that podcast, He's going to take him off to this cabin on the top of him. But now Clark's is going to send people off to the Phantom Zone because actual to complete my mission and Clarks will consider it finished, and he just zaps him off with this Crystal.
Speaker 2: I assume this isn't the end of death stroke mechanics.
Speaker 1: As I presume, what do you think, Alan, do you think? Do you think he comes back out?
Speaker 2: I would assume that he does come back.
Speaker 1: You would, wouldn't you know? He doesn't. Wow, there's a new member. That's why he's so frustratcause there's a news report that he shows back up. Because that's how Zod gets Clark back in the Phantom Zone. He gets his attention by sending these people back out.
Speaker 3: Because I was gonna ask that that episode where they go into the Phantom Zone and they need Zod and he's now like the combined ZOD of season five and season nine. Yeah, does that happen after this or is that.
Speaker 1: Before that's after this?
Speaker 3: That's okay, but they don't meet they don't meet that stroke in the final of that.
Speaker 1: No, because that they see that like a news alert that he's reappeared. Okay, SOD sent him back out to get.
Speaker 2: We never physically see Michael Hogan again in the show.
Speaker 1: That's why this is ridiculous. Like if he had evolved into more of the death stroke, maybe I'd be like, oh, and next time you see him, he's in another level and he has his costume. No, this is it ridiculous. That's insane, ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that. I didn't realize that. I thought he was I literally thought he'd be back in like the next.
Speaker 1: Episode, well like in the Phantom Zone, or he.
Speaker 2: Had something I assumed, you know, Dark Slight didn't release him or something.
Speaker 1: I'm all for a Phantom Zone projector like, you know, I think him sending Dooms out of the Phantom Zone was a great idea. But you know, when he was going to do that at the Fortress, because all his other crystals had been destroyed, right, but no, he couldn't do it anyway.
Speaker 4: That's nuts.
Speaker 1: Season ten has really great conduity in some areas and then awful continuity in other areas. And this is one but Clark he's renied with Lois and and Carter because Destro told him that they were dead, right, But you know, Hawkman opens his wings and Lois is there and so they embrace.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that that he was protecting her in his wings on the ground. I really I really like that. Yeah, never sawid very heroic, very heroic.
Speaker 1: Michael Shanks was great as his character, and he'd this isn't one it done like he this is his like fourth episode if he count him on the screen, right, because he had some whyes in Salvation. So he is a a significant guest character in the last air of the show, and you know, it's a good moment. He's like, I'm a pro dyeing, remember, Like that's that's cute. Of course you would say something like that as he was dying, but you feel his loss because he was this veteran hero that they all looked up to. And now I really.
Speaker 3: Like he says to him in his dying moments, He's like, there has to be a balanced clerk. We can't do what we do with an engines in our hearts. I thought that was really really nice, and it's it's a thing that I hold true in all Superman stories, is that he actually should end up Willows. That shouldn't be the thing like Superman two where he has to like his own.
Speaker 1: Of celibacy, you know, that kind of thing, and that's why he marries a lot and Superman three guys, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I particularly like when when Clark looks at Lewis and and Hoffman kind of sees the love that they have is confirmed and he says that he knows he made the right decision. I really enjoyed that to it. Thought that was a nice touch, and.
Speaker 1: It has even more weight because him and we had a whole episode together, like Shield, the second episode of the season. Like, so that's not just oh yeah, that's Clark's beance your girlfriend over there, Like, no, he he knows her and they had a they've had a heart to heart, so like he has insight into both of them. So that kind of means a lot, and you know, he has some party parts, some final wisdom to Clark here as he passes away, and it's solid stuff. I was gonna miss Hawkman. I'm not gonna miss Dethrop, but I'm gonna miss awk Man. He's like, I'm sorry, I won't be there to help you fight the darkness. And I'm like, oh, man, so he's gonna I don't know how the cycle works, but he's gonna be somebody's baby, I guess soon. And we start the cycle again. Uh and yeah, so this is you guys aren't really that familiar with the Arrovers, but you know they had Hawkman over there.
Speaker 3: Oh no, legends, Yeah I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this this Hawkman's better, right all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Michael Shank, Michael Shanks kicks as in this.
Speaker 1: And a nice final shot off we see Clark and Lewis and Carter all in the background, him kind of pan down with a camera and we see, you know, Hawkman's helmet in the foreground and we comeing too focus on them, like, okay, that's like it's like the comic book cover, like a death of a Hero.
Speaker 3: I think it literally looks like the Identity Crisis. Do you remember that there's a panel in that that it looks like they actually took it from that.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: I just really like how heroes always kind of die on c really conveniently, like you know, you say, you say the really heroic thing, and then you just drift off where I always imagine what would be like if it took another twenty four minutes.
Speaker 1: That's that's all I got. I got nothing else for you, Clark. It as beautiful as that. That shot is of the Hawkman cow there I found there their shot of I guess Africa amusing where it's like these camels, like okay, sure that looked like animation to me, like like I don't I don't even know if it was like a real shot of something. But uh, they're often some temple somewhere in Egypt, and they're going to where Shira is, presumably because they put his body next to hers. Now, this is this is an interesting scene here because we see the we quote unquote see the entire Justice League. All right, Lois is there, Black Canary, Stargirl, Green Arrow, Clark, and then back there in the very back we don't see him. Let we see Impulse in Martian Manhunter. Oh cool, they're clearly standing. It's like, well it's easy for Impulse because he's got the hood on so he don't see his face. But you know the guy, the guy who's standing in for Martian man Hunter, he's like just has his head like down so he can't really tell it's not Phil Morris.
Speaker 2: I had to laugh. This is the second Superman TV Show podcast left on this week. I was recorded with Anthony earlier on this week, and that episode was Star of Faith where they also go to stock footage of camels in Egypt and Georgia Leaves picks up the pyramid, and I was like, oh, what's the likelihood in both episodes seventy six years Apartment.
Speaker 1: Goes to locations, goes to the location, but it's not just then. So the in the white shot, you see Impulse and you see Martian Mander. But then they have an overhead shot and you see all come in. He's got his hood up. You see Cyborg. You don't really see you kind of see his shoulder, sees a ton of back there, we see something. So these are all stand ins, right, But I appreciate the fact, like, hey, just league members died, everybody needs to be here. They call everybody up, and I appreciate the fact they all showed up, and uh, that's plays the factor into the next episode because they've taken out the entire Justice League. So this is part of the part of the plane here, right. So oh, by the way, Clark's wearing his monogram jacket plus one. It's not zipped up, by the way, because why would you zip it up.
Speaker 3: And he's not wearing a blue shirt he's wearing, right, Is it is?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: It is blue. It's like a baby blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it is not. Maybe it's the lighting there in this place, but it doesn't look like great vibrant. It looks great. No one's ever gonna see it.
Speaker 2: I thought, you look, I really thought he he just looked like Superman. You know, sounds costume obviously, but he just looked like Superman off the page. I thought he really looked great.
Speaker 1: Well, they started to like dabble with the island his hair as well when he's in when he's in the Blorder costume. So that helps with the supermanler too. And you know that that Shira helmet and her weapon used to be in that museum. But I guess the museum closed after Absolute Justice, I don't know, or maybe after Carter Hall die. They said they're taking all your stuff. But where We're in Egypt and they spent a lot of time in Africa, and he's in a small boy between you know, the woas is there, the isis is from there, and you know here we are at Hawkman's funeral, but we don't.
Speaker 2: I I dunked on the soundtrack earlier on I said the music was crap. I thought the music for the funeral scene was okay. It was pretty good. It sounds like kind of a soft rock song or something the generic stuff like. But I just thought I thought it was all right.
Speaker 1: City Lights by Paulton Edge.
Speaker 2: Up Ah, that means that means nothing to me.
Speaker 1: It never made it on one of my small bl mix CDs, but that was fair enough.
Speaker 3: He says, nothing says pyramids like city Lights.
Speaker 1: But it's you know, it's a somber moment right with black Harry and Stargirler come from each other, and then you know, what, what's that? What's what's We're in Egypt, there's a pyramid coming out. Is this part of the is this part of the funeral procession? That's part of the No, it's not. It's some device put there by the government, I guess, to wipe out all the superheroes. So it comes up and it goes off, and then big flash of light and then we see all the Justice League just laying on the ground, and that is your mid season finale.
Speaker 4: Nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what a cliffhanger, y'all. I hope they're okay. I don't know, like this didn't really do it much for me. I'm just gonna say, for a cliff.
Speaker 2: How long on average would you have to wait? I just can't remember how long would you have to wait?
Speaker 1: About six weeks or so. Usually came back, you know, into January, beginning February something like that.
Speaker 3: I always have a problem in these scenes where it's like the entire Justice Let you get knocked out, and it happens a lot on the cartoon where they'll all get knocked out by like electricity or something like that, including Superman, and I meanwhile, you just have a human character there, like Lois or Batman, and she is also knocked out, and you're like, if that thing was strong enough to knock out Superman, do you.
Speaker 2: Think they should have ended this? Do you think it's a strong enough cliff hanger? I was wondering after I watched it. Should they have ended this maybe with Lowe's going out the window or no.
Speaker 1: Generic as an episode, that's fine, right. My problem is, like Luthor the previous episode, like it ends with with the only fourth wall break in the history of Smallville and arguably the greatest fourth wall break of all time. It's it's Earth two line of Luther has And you know I talked about last week time, Right, that's a strong statement. I stand by that statement.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, because that's John Glover saying I want to see how it all turns out that one, Yes, because all time.
Speaker 1: He's talking to you, the viewer, because you've been watching small ovivirgineers. Don't you want to see how it all turns out? And he opens his umbrella and he goes through the crowd. Oh my god, Lionel's back shows in what's called mag I do want to see how it all turns out. I'm fired up bringing on small to this. I'm like, what what just happened? Like I just and then part of it might be I know that Collateral. The next episode is the one they're like in the Matrix and it's like not good at all. That's where I I'm like, maybe I'm holding that against the end of this episode. I don't know, but look, it's fun to see the Justice League together, right, Obviously you have a funeral for a hero, right, that's that's monumental for these guys. But then to end on that kind of awkward note of they're all passed out, like how do they know where they're like, I guess because they were monitoring everybody, like they know where Carter Hall's secret tomb is and they have this thing in the ground planning they're waiting to come out. I'm like, what are you. I don't know, y'all.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I didn't love it. That's what I was trying to I was trying to think to myself afterwards, is there is there a better cliffhanger with what was in the episode that they could have kind of left it on? But maybe not?
Speaker 1: No, No, See, Smallville didn't do cliff fingers like that. Alan Like it's unless like every now and then probably maybe like a third of the season finales were like a pick it up with the next shot, you know, but episode episode they always had like their their you know epilogue like you know a kind of stuff, And it was never like a do we continue unless it was a premiere of finale, sometimes a two parter so.
Speaker 2: O Slave Were You Married?
Speaker 4: A Small Villa?
Speaker 6: All new episode this Friday at eighty seventh Central.
Speaker 2: Up a very Street Echanti, They said.
Speaker 4: He wanted, so what are you mad? Super mad yet?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: And what if my soulmate comes along and I'm too blind to see it?
Speaker 5: Just follow your heart and you'll always do the right thing.
Speaker 4: I'm mad.
Speaker 1: Past, My world needs your clack.
Speaker 2: What about what we need? Man need.
Speaker 4: Sad jeans?
Speaker 2: This we said, who are you? Lois lost?
Speaker 1: My three past?
Speaker 4: It's just s You're more than just a hero.
Speaker 5: You're a superhero.
Speaker 2: Give me a nerd with glasses any day of the week.
Speaker 1: Wome Something dark is coming.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be tested like you have never been tested before. Street, I know my destiny.
Speaker 6: Small Fille season from here next Friday at eight seventh Central, New one, Blu Ray and DVD.
Speaker 2: This is where it's all been leading.
Speaker 1: You have become.
Speaker 4: That's great to say it.
Speaker 3: More than two hours of special features the final season of Small on Blue Ray and DVD November twenty nine, and on the Complete series collection on DVD.
Speaker 1: Icorous got an eight point seven out of ten on IMDb, and Douglas Trumble from the Superman homepage g at a four out of five.
Speaker 2: So ty on.
Speaker 1: The letter grade scale, y'all, Alan, let's start with you. What would you give vigorous.
Speaker 2: On the letter grade scale? So I would probably give it a B minus. I thought, look, overall, if you're if you're revisiting this, it is kind of a filler exposition, kind of an episode, you know, mid season, not a hell of that happens throughout. But when I sat down and watched it last night, I enjoyed it. It flew by. I enjoyed the characterizations. I enjoyed the story of it. I enjoyed the proposal and all that stuff to it. Yeah. I had issues with death stroke and stuff like everybody else, and some of the writing and some of the decisions that they made, But overall, I wasn't bored. I wasn't looking at my watch watching it. I knew what it was when I was going into it. I had a vague memory of it, but I thought they did it pretty well. And I liked the death of Walkman. I thought that was covered really well, and the way he went out on an I note. I enjoyed that. So yeah, to be honest, I can't find much fault with it over sentimentality at the start, with the proposal and stuff like that, and like I said, some weird choices here and there, but overall I thought it was pretty solid.
Speaker 3: Be minus, I would agree with all of that. To be honest, I'm also being minus. I think it pushed the plot of the season along nicely enough, and there was a lot of kind of clunkiness in some of some of the logistics of the riding and stuff like that, but it didn't bother me too much. It was only really watching it the second time when I was kind of going back and think of it.
Speaker 4: Certain stuff but still.
Speaker 3: Really stuck out, like it is not a remarkable episode, but I think just the inclusion of Hawkman doing as much Hawkman stuff as he does, as impressively as they do it, and then the proposal happening, and you know, as we said, like seeing all the Justice League together, even though not all of them play a role in the episode, just stuff like that they committed to the assignment. And I don't really care for this storyline at all. But I think that this is a pretty harmless, decent episode. Yeah, for all the flaws we've discussed, I would give it a be mine.
Speaker 1: You know, I was gonna give it a B minus, but since both of y'all did, I'm gonna go with C plus now, just to give us some variety. Just being so steeped in the season as I am, I'm like, eh, you know, so, I'm very happy that you guys liked it as much as you did, and I don't dislike it. You know, C plus is above average, But the proposal stuff was great. Death stroke is as bad and not as bad as I remember. At the same time, the doucex Machina really of the oh I'll just said to the phantoms, I'm like, well, do why haven't you been doing that all the time? You shouldn't be. But the fact that you did at all, I'm like, well, what's that about?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Hawkman? I I did. I did enjoy all Hawkman's things. He was one of the stronger guest heroes on smavel. I think, you know, when people think about I think everybody's I don't know, you have a strong I don't know if you guys have strong opinions about this. But when people think about, oh, who's the best, like guest hero in Smallville, Green Arrows not on the table because he became a main cast member. But I think everybody says the flash they were impulse. I think that's everybody's inclination because of that. That first episode was so strong. I mean, he probably be my be my favorite. But Hawkman, he don't. Don't don't lose out a Hawkman because he was a great He was a great presence on the show. That's the great thing about Smallville and one of the many great things on smaball brought a lot of it tension, Like these characters seeing them for the first time in live action are basically for the first time live characters live action for most of them, characters like Cyborg and you know, it was a Tanna and all the all the the stand ins who were here at the funeral, all those characters too, you know, and and the the dude bro Ackaman. That's Smallville presented is lives on to this day, for better or for worse, right, But you know all that to say, there was hey, there was action in here. There was stuff going on. Uh, there was an impressive amount of supporting cast members that returned. And I'm gonna give it a C plus, So be minus for you guys, C plus for me. Let's go to the tally board short telliboard. You only had a couple of talies head and episode title set an episode because they had Operation Icarus. They talk about it later to see a man fall from the sky with wings. Yeah, yeah, that brings us to eighty eight so far. And then uh, the monogram jacket, as I already talked about off the top plus one, that brings us to five so far. Five in eleven episodes. I gave myself the over under was ten when the season started. I'm sticking with the under. We'll see because I know for a fact he doesn't wear it in the series finale.
Speaker 2: So do you think it was a case that he didn't want to wear or do you think it was a case that they tried to hold back on a little bit so that they wouldn't there'd be more of a maybe a chasm between this and the Superman suits and the finale.
Speaker 1: I just think they weren't really sure how to use it. I mean, he should have been wearing it in this episode, like when in that scene where he confronts Slate at the end, he's just wearing streat clothes, like what are you doing? But he can go wear for this funeral though, So I don't know. It's it's it's I'm fascinated's one of it's I'm fascinated by it. And that's why I made it a tally board. And we're gonna continue to hear me ransom for the rest of the rest of the podcast. So Bechdel Test pass because of the government agent talking to everybody, like I mean, yes, they talk about like superhero stuff, but like talking to tests, you know. I think in the spirit of the Bechdel Test, it passes because we have this hardcore government agent. We also have Lois and Kat talk. So I think the combination of all those I think we passed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: So in some redemption for Cat Grant maybe, I don't know. I'll keep that in mind next time I see her. I think she I think she only has one more episode. I think it's Booster, the Booster Gold episode.
Speaker 4: So the little Booster Gold episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I better like her in that one because I'm pretty sure I've been talking to Jef Johns about that on the podcast, it was like, who wrote this character? This is awful.
Speaker 3: Booster Gold episode always reminds me of Chris Simms reviewing the finale when Olie looks up and see Superman fly by and he's like, come on, Clark, and Chris Sims was like, why did he know that was Clark? Why didn't he assume that was Booster Gold because he's the only flying hero in this universe at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he doesn't know Clark can fly. Yeah, exactly, Well that's gonna do it for this episode. But guys, a lot of fun talking episodes. Fut so great to have you both on here at the same time. If people want to find you out there and whatever order you guys want to promote yourselves, take it away.
Speaker 3: We are All Star super Fan Podcast. We're on all the socials, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Twitter is Allstar super Pod on Facebook and Instagram are All Star super Fan And yeah, we have a bunch of episodes. You have appeared on quite a number of them and some really really cool kind of compires and episodes where we look at different Superman episodes and across across the eighty five year.
Speaker 4: Multimedia legacy of the Man of Steel.
Speaker 3: We talk about all sorts of fun stuff, and we've also done some ridiculed interviews with actors and writers and creators from Superman related things.
Speaker 1: Awesome what he said.
Speaker 2: It's been great, Zich, thanks so much for having us on. Really really thirtally enjoyed it. And I have to say, like I said, watching the Bench episode a few months ago, for what was being my appearents of that episode, and then watching this again, really enjoyed getting back to the show and getting back into it. You know, it's always and I think it's just before in the back of my mind. I always it's always kind of a little bit tarnished by how long it went on and what I thought was a dropping quality really over kind of those mid seasons. And then obviously the finale really just pissed me off, like I did so many other people. But I have to say, going back and watching it like these just as the characters and stuff, this episode is what nearly fifteen years old now fourteen thirteen years old, and I thought I held up pretty good. You know, it's out of its time and stuff. But I thought, like that Hawkman looked great. I thought some of the story elements were good, and I just came in here last night, I sat down in this room, I put it on, I took out the DVD, put it on and just really really enjoyed it and kind of let me again would have wanted to go back and watch more. So Yeah, thanks Emilly.
Speaker 3: Absolutely I will echo all that. And I think as much as I have a litany of issues with the show, I think there is something beautiful about the fact that they were able to mine ten years out of Superman's argent.
Speaker 4: I think that's really really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Zach just need to say this again one more time. You have been such a supporter of our show, and we really really appreciate it. And I think it is safe to say that your show is one of, if maybe the best Superman.
Speaker 4: Podcasts out there.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so a hearty congratulations to you for making it this far. And I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: No, I appreciate it that guys. I yeah, definitely, you know, I enjoy all's content, so I definitely want to rebroadcast it. And you know, we have a lot of friends to do this, and I'm glad we've kind of had this community that we can all kind of be on each other shows and it's all we're all part of the same team, right, So that's that's the fun of it, right, So these are fun times for real times. I not gonna believe it when it's over, probably, but but here we are.
Speaker 3: So I gotta be real with you, though, Man, if you do under tune a Heroes podcast, I don't know how far I'm making it. In and rewatch the show Devny season one. After that, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Tease that so many times, and I feel obligated maybe at some point to do it. But we'll see, we'll see, look forward to it. All right, Well, let's gonna do it for this episode of Always Won the Smable. Stay tuned next time when we talk about Collateral, but until then, Always hold On a Smallville, Always Hold On To Smallville is part of the Always Hold On To network of podcasts and brought to you by listeners like you, Chris Fuchs, Cavante, Chillis, d J. Dewinham, Isaiah Goodrich, Corey Moore, Nathan Roth, Thatcher, Atief Shek, Thomas Navin, John Curcio, Madame Rouge, Markidz Foppin, Patricia Carrillo, Michael Hartford, Jim Crawford, Casey Vash, Macon Rich, Rrie Humphrey, Alex Hamilton, Matt Douglas, Daniel Curriel, Travis Hull, Ryan Love, Amy, Jay, Casey Grion, Nathan McKenzie, Steve Rodgers, Molly Fickerella, James Lee, Joe Michael, Jason Davis, Patrick Bravo, Jacob Stevenhart, Dana Bias, Alex Ramsay Tay Tay, Merril Smith, Rob O'Connor, Tina b Darren kirsht Dyla D'Antonio, Nick Rhyme, Magdoza, Eddie Bissell, Jim Thomas, Klunk, KNT, Nicholas Fansler, John Long, Ruth and Cruz, Travis Kill, Mike Thomas, Aina j Robert, Joe Dienberg, Nicholas Cosso, Jared Gibbs, Anthony Anderson, jas And mcgilly, Keith Falls, James Hart, Anthony Deciato, Crystal Cross, Jake c John Sweitzer, Karen Kumar, Lorenzo Valdez and Karen Thank you so much to all these patrons, and YouTube can become a patron by going to patreon dot com. Slash Always Maulville with one s hope to see you there. Always hold On Too Smallville's theme music is by Lance Laster and our podcast art is by Tom Gurky. You can follow us on Twitter at always Maulville with one S, You can find us on Facebook at always hold on to Smallville, and you can send us an email at always Maulville at gmail dot com. Once again with one S for listening,